7.0

1. Jan 4, 2013
    The game had a very buggy release, but within a month Overhaul games had released 5 comprehensive updates that fixed most (if not all) of the bugs. Plus they fixed some old bugs that were present in the original release that had never been fixed.

Now you get to experience the original game in all it's glory, with the kits and new weapon specialities from BGII, plus 3 new (very well done) characters. The game is EXTREMELY challenging by today's standards, even on the normal difficulty. But you can raise the difficulty to the max setting for a truly challenging experience that few modern games can rival. And you will get engrossed in the world of Faerun!!!

I think the review scores for this game are much lower than they should be due to the admittedly very buggy release. But now after 5 comprehensive updates, the game in a masterpiece.
  2. Cik
    Jul 3, 2013
    Excellent game, and a first of its' kind when first released. Now at $5 on steam again, it earns itself a 10 becasue it is the absolute best rpg and series of its' time .

This game set the stage for the genre and giving it anything but a 10 is like giving Alexander Graham Bell anything but a 10 for being the pioneer in communication with the Telephone.
  3. Dec 14, 2012
    Those who vote "0" are morons - they vote the lowest possible rating to make the biggest difference. Utterly pathetic.

I, however, give it a 10. The reason? This is Baldur's Gate - they can release it a million more times and I will "10" it a million more times.

That is all.
  4. Jan 23, 2013
    This game is NOT broken. It is a great game and a ton of fun for old school RPGers. Unfortunately when I was young I missed this game... However, thanks to the Enhanced Edition I can enjoy it in 2013.
    The plot is interesting, the characters are interesting and the combat method is interesting.
    The game is NOT EASY! Thank God! A game presents me with a challenge, who would have thought? Character can DIE...*ghasp* indeed they are expendable. If you want to play hard core you can. You pick your friends and foes. In some ways this game gives you more freedom than Skyrim, and your allies have WAY more depth.... Hell, at one point I went too long without honoring a ally's agreement to join my quest and he turned on me!
    Anyone who gives this game a 1 is just being a spoiled prude.
  5. Jul 3, 2013
    After also purchasing and playing the GOG version, I have to spread the word that this version is easily the best version of BG presently available. There may be broken quests in terms of moddable material that hasn't been rendered. There may also be overpowered kits. I find such complaints to be pretty foolish since any reviewer who cared that much about these issues should be able to modAfter also purchasing and playing the GOG version, I have to spread the word that this version is easily the best version of BG presently available. There may be broken quests in terms of moddable material that hasn't been rendered. There may also be overpowered kits. I find such complaints to be pretty foolish since any reviewer who cared that much about these issues should be able to mod the game the way they like it or bump up the difficulty as a work-around for their personal issues. Graphically this version is SWEET. The added sound files are nice. The add ons are all good. Only TRUE problem is the price. $20 is too much. $10 is perfect. Apparently there are some issues with Atari which mean the enhanced version of BG2 has been delayed. This may not be a bad thing. The GOG version of BG2 is already near-perfect, so Beam Dog will probably have to work a bit harder to create any new value with an enhanced version. Good things take time. This game is a MUST BUY when its on sale at around $5. Expand
  6. Dec 16, 2012
    I will give this a 10 just because they are bring the best game series of all time back to life. It's freaking Baldur's Gate. The best game I've ever played! I can't wait for the following releases especially BG2 and finally BG3. I feel like a kid again :)
  7. Jan 18, 2013
    Based on read user reviews ppl are rating this game based on how much it cost (which ofc will drop) and thats not fair in my opinion because in this case most good AAA games at its release would be rated much lower. To counter this im giving it 10/10 although otherwise i would rate it 9/10. BGEE is a great game it doesnt spoil anything that is in vanila game and it just adds higherBased on read user reviews ppl are rating this game based on how much it cost (which ofc will drop) and thats not fair in my opinion because in this case most good AAA games at its release would be rated much lower. To counter this im giving it 10/10 although otherwise i would rate it 9/10. BGEE is a great game it doesnt spoil anything that is in vanila game and it just adds higher resolution and few new quest connected with new NPCs that are added in this game and not to mention hundreds of bugfixes.
    Overhaul did what they wanted and that is to bring this great game to new generations and pll who dont bother spending hours with installing dozens of mods before actually playing this great game.
  8. Mar 5, 2013
    Excellent game, and honestly, considering the time that has passed, it still looks and plays great. If you're an AD&D or Forgotten Realms fan, it'll be right up your alley. They've fixed about 600 bugs that people have reported since launch at this point, and they're flying through all of the rest as people keep reporting them. Excellent game with an excellent support team.
  9. Apr 4, 2016
    For some reason i played BG2 Shadows of Amn before this. However i remember getting the BGI ToTSC 6 CD edition and was more than happy to be playing a BG game again. The enhanced edition fixes many issues with the original: few bugs, adds lots of enhancement and restores some stuff missing from the original that was added in previously with tweak packs etc. Im greatful that beamdog hasFor some reason i played BG2 Shadows of Amn before this. However i remember getting the BGI ToTSC 6 CD edition and was more than happy to be playing a BG game again. The enhanced edition fixes many issues with the original: few bugs, adds lots of enhancement and restores some stuff missing from the original that was added in previously with tweak packs etc. Im greatful that beamdog has taken the time to put together the best version of this game without having to add mods - of course mods can still be used, but for me i am happy not having to download and figure out what mod to install in what order.

If you liked the other BG or Infinity Engine games: BG2, IWD, IWD2, PST etc then you will like this game as well.
  10. Apr 17, 2013
    I wouldve given the game 8 in its current state, but gave it 10 to offset the rediculous "0" reviews... Bassically this is the same old game you know and love, if youve played BG1. The core game is largely untouched and the only things changed are the interface, better high res support, bug fixes (get to this one in a minute), and a much better, gutted code base.
  11. Apr 29, 2013
    This was pretty much the exact same game as the original. I never once had an issue with gameplay or bugs, and liked the simple additions.

I cannot wait for the release of the Enhanced Edition for BG2.
  12. Aug 19, 2013
    This game is a polished up version of the original. Others have posted that in some way this version is worse, they obviously don't own it. My only complaint is that not more was added.

Still remains one of the best rpgs of all time. Get it on sale on steam.
  13. Sep 2, 2013
    Better than the original Baldur Gate for me.Nice new characters and higher level cup.I also loved the new adventure, The Black Pits.I stil play it.I hope they have a similar adventure to Baldurs Gate 2.I didnt find a lot of bugs.If you liked the first Baldurs Gate you must buy the enhanced edition and play it.
  14. Jul 2, 2014
    I first played this game at a friends house back when I was probably say 14-15, only briefly. I recently got steam and saw this game and the sequel on sale for I think 7 dollars and 14 dollars respectively. I'm pretty close to the end of the first game and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. I could see myself playing through this game multiple times using different characters and finding newI first played this game at a friends house back when I was probably say 14-15, only briefly. I recently got steam and saw this game and the sequel on sale for I think 7 dollars and 14 dollars respectively. I'm pretty close to the end of the first game and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. I could see myself playing through this game multiple times using different characters and finding new quests and cool npcs. Really don't see why this game is rated at 7.1 at the moment but I guess different people like different games. Expand
  15. Aug 30, 2014
    Beamdog has breathed new life into an ailing and ancient game. No one can dispute how good the original Baldur's Gate was, but I will argue that this edition truly is enhanced. No messy mods to fix graphical issues, a vast array of bug fixes, new quests and new characters with more dialogue go a long way in adding value. If I wanted a junked-up game I had to add third-party fan-madeBeamdog has breathed new life into an ailing and ancient game. No one can dispute how good the original Baldur's Gate was, but I will argue that this edition truly is enhanced. No messy mods to fix graphical issues, a vast array of bug fixes, new quests and new characters with more dialogue go a long way in adding value. If I wanted a junked-up game I had to add third-party fan-made mods to, I would just go to GoG and buy an original copy (or find my six installation CDs from the 90's). The enhanced edition brings me the game I remember with less of the bugs and some truly optimal new features (use of the BG2 engine, spells and class kits, constant patches for continued upgrades, etc.). I am glad to own this game, and I have already logged over 300 hours playing on BG:EE. Expand
  16. Aug 30, 2014
    Now if this was a review of the game after it's release it would be a few notches lower. The game released quite clearly unfinished and the developers admitted so and were committed to continuing the bug hunt and perfecting this game and they did just that.

This version of Baldur's Gate and it's equal are the definitive versions. Bugs old and new have been destroyed, works perfectly on new computers (as someone who used to have to install multiple mods to run my disc based version that if one failed the process would have to be repeated from game install, and that's before windscreen mods - This has saved me endless hair tearing and screaming in my household.)

The new content is absolutely perfect, the extra equipment a godsend (club proficiency pays of now!) and I personally have to fight which of the new characters accompany me. The three of them are among the best characters in the game, character and proficiency wise and certainly make up for the other characters silence with the BG II level of dialogue.

IF you are a BG fan and can't be bothered getting those old disc out or sick of headbutting the wall after playing 20 hours to find a mod has messed up a crucial element and you have to reinstall the entire game then do yourself a favour and pick up this copy.

Anybody new to BG, this is most definitely the copy for you.
  17. Jan 30, 2015
    Amazing game, you will not regret buying. Anyone considering this should buy because it is a worthy investment both for your money and for your time spent as a gamer on this top quality product/company.
  18. Jan 24, 2013
    A very good 'spruce up' of easily my favourite game of all time. Sure there were a few launch bugs (some of which have yet to be ironed out) and the new dialogue isn't in the same league as the older material, but this is a classic game given new life and for that is to be applauded. Any fan of the series will revel in the immersion and atmosphere of the original replete with all theA very good 'spruce up' of easily my favourite game of all time. Sure there were a few launch bugs (some of which have yet to be ironed out) and the new dialogue isn't in the same league as the older material, but this is a classic game given new life and for that is to be applauded. Any fan of the series will revel in the immersion and atmosphere of the original replete with all the worthwhile changes from Baldur's Gate 2. Newcomers will find the embodiment of a classic, story-driven isometric RPG before the shamefully barren period that followed it. Expand
  19. Jan 30, 2013
    Quite a treat for us infinity fans, the franchise is just the best out there, BG was, is and will be the epitome of rpg story driven adventure of all time.

At this point - several major patches have arrived making the rather unpolished initial release quite impressive.

Simply a must for any fan or newcomer of strategy rpg.

Oh yea almost forgot, ad&d 2nd edition is just spot on.
  20. Dec 9, 2012
    People are as whiny and quick to grab the pitchforks as ever. The bugs are overstated. They mostly pertain to intel integrated graphics and multiplayer lobbies. All issues have been acknowledged and diligently worked on since the game was launched (4 patches out within the span of two weeks), and the dev team shows great humility and dedication judging from their statements on the officialPeople are as whiny and quick to grab the pitchforks as ever. The bugs are overstated. They mostly pertain to intel integrated graphics and multiplayer lobbies. All issues have been acknowledged and diligently worked on since the game was launched (4 patches out within the span of two weeks), and the dev team shows great humility and dedication judging from their statements on the official forum. Just the fact that they maintain a direct line of communication with the fans speaks volumes about their attitude -- and let's face it, in the long run, nothing is more important than that. I think a lot of people don't even realize how small the EE team is at the moment (only 12 people), and that they have to deal with things that large companies with big budgets simply don't have to worry about.

Buying this game was a no-brainer for me, if only for the continued support (in the form of patches and DLCs) and prospects of BG2EE (and other infinity engine titles, both old and brand new). All the important mods are already being ported over, and very soon BGEE will be the definitive way to play the Baldur's Gate saga, with all of the advantages and none of the flaws of the (brilliant, but outdated and stagnant) original release.

I couldn't be happier with the purchase, and I must say that my personal experience has been 100% bug-free. Even if it wasn't, I wholeheartedly support anyone who dedicates their time to producing Infinity Engine content in 2012, regardless of any potential oversights (which, as we've already seen, are being corrected in real time with great dedication).
  21. Jan 20, 2013
    Utter nostalgia heaven! Rebuilt using the Baldur's Gate 2 improved engine, including modern resolution support. It's a real treat to return to the game that built a franchise and set the bar for story quality for so many years. Returning veterans will enjoy the game with improved colors and 3 new characters, and newcomers will be pulled into a setting that will absorb days of their livesUtter nostalgia heaven! Rebuilt using the Baldur's Gate 2 improved engine, including modern resolution support. It's a real treat to return to the game that built a franchise and set the bar for story quality for so many years. Returning veterans will enjoy the game with improved colors and 3 new characters, and newcomers will be pulled into a setting that will absorb days of their lives with its richness. If you've never played Baldur's Gate before, don't miss out. If you played it before, don't miss the chance to treat yourself again. A true masterpiece of storytelling. Expand
  22. Sep 26, 2013
    This game has been updated. The graphical interface (updates) were the first positive aspect that I noticed in juxtaposition to the original version. I played through the first part of this game with a tinge of speed, satisfaction and immersion that just wasn't possible the first time around (in the original). Steam really compliments this release, a full install, no shifting back andThis game has been updated. The graphical interface (updates) were the first positive aspect that I noticed in juxtaposition to the original version. I played through the first part of this game with a tinge of speed, satisfaction and immersion that just wasn't possible the first time around (in the original). Steam really compliments this release, a full install, no shifting back and forth between six CD ROM. The new resolutions, textures, zoom out feature, etc all assist in a level of enjoyment not possible with the original. In compliment, there's a few extra characters to expand the roaming level of augmented possibility (especially for when BG2:EE is released). On a downside, the new "Cut-scenes" are hit and miss; they lack the original talent of the talented collaborators Baldur's Gate development team (first release PS Interplay I miss you so much). Also the new portraits are clumsy in contrast to the old. Overall? Who doesn't want to play automated and updated Dungeons and Dragons from the original success story, rendered with a constructive revision?

Obviously, this is a revamp of an old classic. I still consider Baldur's Gate essentially unparallelled in immersion and depth within the RPG genre; but let's call a spade a spade. This game is great, but not built from the ground up. Imagine what could be possible with the dynamics of this game in a new body?

9.2/10

-youcreatea
  23. Apr 5, 2013
    An excellent release of Baldur's Gate along with the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion included, so you get to play in Durlag's Tower, Ulgoth's Beard as well as the Cloud Peaks. I've used most of the new characters (apart from the Blackguard), and they fit in well. The voice acting is great and the story fits in just fine. The game itself has the fastest launch known to mankind, and theAn excellent release of Baldur's Gate along with the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion included, so you get to play in Durlag's Tower, Ulgoth's Beard as well as the Cloud Peaks. I've used most of the new characters (apart from the Blackguard), and they fit in well. The voice acting is great and the story fits in just fine. The game itself has the fastest launch known to mankind, and the whole thing is just really well polished. I'd give it a 10, but the very first quest (to get a scroll of identify) is broken, as is the Doppelgänger quest later in the game. Those are the only two niggles top marks for the rest. Expand
  24. Aug 28, 2013
    The game has a few wayword bugs still but you can get fixes for them from the main forums (you can just drop the fixes into an easily found folder its far easier and less time consuming than installing Tutu). They are very easy to find if you google them. I'd give it an 8.5/10. Its better than Tutu or BGT, in that it addresses some of the more serious problems that they never could (due toThe game has a few wayword bugs still but you can get fixes for them from the main forums (you can just drop the fixes into an easily found folder its far easier and less time consuming than installing Tutu). They are very easy to find if you google them. I'd give it an 8.5/10. Its better than Tutu or BGT, in that it addresses some of the more serious problems that they never could (due to hardcoding). Also it contains all fixes contained in any of the fixpacks released for Tutu/BG2 and modders like Camdawg have been working with the development team to improve the game. So astralphoenix77's statement that BGEE is "obsolete" because of other community patches is actually far from the truth. The game actually uses an updated version of the ToB engine, better than the version being used by Tutu/BGT.

Overall I'd say this is worth spending the extra money on. The new kits they added are interesting, there are no game-breaking bugs (unlike a lot of the older NPC mods for BG2 that haven't been updated in years like Saerileth), and you'll get plenty of hours out of it regardless of how much you pay. Plus you'll be able to use the new kits when BG2EE comes out.
  25. Sep 28, 2013
    This game is a lot of fun, always has been. It's good to be finally able to get to play the game even on a whim, without having to go through the trouble of getting it to work on new PCs, setting up mods to make it worthwhile and so on. In it's current stage, it has no game-stopping bugs; in fact it worked just fine for me even in multiplayer from day one.

The new characters and content

The new characters and content are interesting enough, and even though I had some doubts about the Black Pits at first, I found it fun as well, with good gameplay and characters. The best thing about BG:EE is that it will get continued support with new patches and content as we go along... and to me it's also important as a necessary step towards BG2:EE, an enhanced version of what I view as the best RPG of all time.
  26. Sep 23, 2014
    Don't understand the low review scores, this game rocked when it first came out & continues to rock today. Devs today STILL use the BG formula to make games (check out Dead State, a zombie infested BG-like game set in modern times). The graphics are a bit dated but the story & gameplay are as deep & satisfying as it was back in 1998. Add in the side conversations, romance & NPC's who haveDon't understand the low review scores, this game rocked when it first came out & continues to rock today. Devs today STILL use the BG formula to make games (check out Dead State, a zombie infested BG-like game set in modern times). The graphics are a bit dated but the story & gameplay are as deep & satisfying as it was back in 1998. Add in the side conversations, romance & NPC's who have their own agendas & you have a game that will keep you up at night just to see what happens next. Expand
  27. Nov 29, 2012
    My first impression is that this is the Baldur's Gate I know and love. Only buggier. In just under two hours of gameplay i've had no less than five crashes, something that would be quite unheard of if I were playing the non "enhanced" BG. On the plus side, there are some new elements added to the mix including a handful of original NPCs which are very well written and voiced, as wellMy first impression is that this is the Baldur's Gate I know and love. Only buggier. In just under two hours of gameplay i've had no less than five crashes, something that would be quite unheard of if I were playing the non "enhanced" BG. On the plus side, there are some new elements added to the mix including a handful of original NPCs which are very well written and voiced, as well as a new musical score by Sam Hulick. The gameplay that made Baldur's Gate so amazing remains intact, and has been enhanced in several places. In others, it has actually become worse. The UI for example, is a serious step backward. My overall feeling is that you could have just as good an experience playing the original Baldur's Gate as buying this so called "Enhanced edition". Expand
  28. Jul 29, 2013
    I can't disagree with everyone else saying that "it's the same old game," because it is. What did you expect? If you're not willing to pay $20 to replay Baldur's Gate, then don't get it. I do, however, think that this game is a steal if you get while it's on sale. I picked it up for $5 while it was a "midweek madness" deal on Steam.

I loved the changes to the game that the Enhanced

I loved the changes to the game that the Enhanced Edition brought, things that, when absent, make the original game almost unbearable to play. Ammunition stacks to 80 (yay!), potions stack to 15, containers, and all of the improvements that Shadows of Amn made to the game.

I had a ton of fun replaying Baldur's Gate and thought that the Enhanced Edition was a steal for $5. Even if I had bought it for $20, I still wouldn't feel cheated I currently have 41 hours of playtime on it, and haven't even beaten it yet (although I think I am in the last stage of the game).

Overall I would say, lots of fun as is to be expected from Baldur's Gate, great improvements to the game, great nostalgia trip but if you're not willing to shell out $20 for it, wait for it to go on sale in Steam and then pick it up.
  29. Nov 29, 2012
    At first glance I'd stay with the old version and some mods; there is almost nothing the "Enhanced Edition" does better than BG1Tutu. Almost all graphical new additions are downgrades (except the higher resolutions and the zoom function). The new UI is uglier due to weird artwork and coloring (blue is some really awkward color choice) making the game breathe less quality. They would haveAt first glance I'd stay with the old version and some mods; there is almost nothing the "Enhanced Edition" does better than BG1Tutu. Almost all graphical new additions are downgrades (except the higher resolutions and the zoom function). The new UI is uglier due to weird artwork and coloring (blue is some really awkward color choice) making the game breathe less quality. They would have been much better off if they just copied the Baldur's Gate 2-UI. The other new artwork (for example the new portraits that look very much like the art seen in Icewind Dale and some of the cutscenes look more like something you'd see in Torchlight than in Baldur's Gate) does not suit the old artwork, removing immersion and the classical "Baldur's Gate"-feeling; even though the art is not bad, some of it does not suit the game. Also, the option in Baldur's Gate 2 where you could increase the game clock, making the movement seem more fluid and the animations look better is non-existent, why? So what is good about the new release other than the obvious higher resolutions? The new voice acting is brilliant and some of the smaller cutscenes look splendid; I also like all the features taken from Baldur's Gate 2. I will update this review as I play on. Had some minor bugs and issues with compatibility this far but the issues were quite easy to solve with Google as help (if the game wont start due to "missing openal.dll" try googling "creativelabs openal.dll"). Expand
  30. Jan 16, 2013
    I played the game in January 2013 and I have to say I didnt encounter a single bug in the whole campaign or the black pits. Basically this game is Baldur Gate with better graphics and no bugs , I never played baldur gate before so I enjoyed it. If you alredy played Baldur Gate you are not going to find anything new , the game still delivers for people who are new and its entretainig. P.SI played the game in January 2013 and I have to say I didnt encounter a single bug in the whole campaign or the black pits. Basically this game is Baldur Gate with better graphics and no bugs , I never played baldur gate before so I enjoyed it. If you alredy played Baldur Gate you are not going to find anything new , the game still delivers for people who are new and its entretainig. P.S :People who are giving negative reviews are doing it on nostalgia because they liked the original more (when its the same thing with worst graphics and bugs) and bugs, as I said I never came across a bug in about 20 hours of gameplay and as I said im playing after many patches in January 2013. Expand

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 10, 2013
    It’s not the flawless, refined version that the dedicated RPG veterans were waiting for, but even so, BG:EE remains a solid investment for Dungeon & Dragons romantics. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    Age may have formed a few cracks in its legendary skin, and perhaps the over reliance on randomness from the Dungeons and Dragons’ ruleset seems rather archaic, but within this slumbering ancient beast lies a mighty heart waiting to be awakened once more.
  3. Jan 26, 2013
    A solid re-release of a classic plus some nice new frills, but not without its problems.