7.1

1. Mar 7, 2013
    One of the most beloved PC RPGs returns, but all is not nostalgically rosy, and it's not because of any lessening of the quality of the content through modern eyes, but rather the lack of value this version of the game represents.

All the game does is take the (free) Tutu engine modification, slap it on, add a couple of new characters and quests, and triple the price of the game. They
    also managed to introduce a load of new bugs into the game that community patches had mostly fixed with the old versions. Of course, those community patches now don't work properly with this version, so it's technically inferior as well.

Here in the UK, this game costs £14.99 on Steam. Alternatively, you can buy the entire Baldur's Gate series from GOG.com collectively for £13.26 ($19.98), and apply the free Tutu mod (or BG Trilogy mod if you prefer, which does a similar thing) to get about three times the content for a lower cost. Do that instead of buying this.
  2. Dec 3, 2012
    Putting aside nostalgia, and putting aside a genuine longing for more games in this vein - yes, Baldur's Gate really is that good. The enhanced edition is simply a overpriced rerelase of a vintage game that provided no significant new content to justify such cost, and while it is solid its nothing someone who already owns the game OR can get it cheaper bundled with its sequel should bother with.

Bad overhaul games.
  3. Dec 8, 2012
    I wouldve given the game 8 in its current state, but gave it 10 to offset the rediculous "0" reviews... Bassically this is the same old game you know and love, if youve played BG1. The core game is largely untouched and the only things changed are the interface, better high res support, bug fixes (get to this one in a minute), and a much better, gutted code base.

First of all the code
    base basically means the game loads quicker with no load screens at all and should be much smoother. I think it will hopefully make it easier to mod in the end as well, so expect alot of mods to star popping up come the new year. The changing of the code has also introduced new bugs, so while they have fixed old bugs they ve introduced a fair few in their cleaning of the code. Alot of people dont seem to understand that messing with a 12 year old code base for a game is a messy business, difficult to do and in some ways probably more difficult than building a game from scratch in 2012. So basically they resort to calling overhaul "inept, "incompetant", and all sorts of other insults for managing to introduce bugs that werent in the game before. Which is of course extremely unfair. They are a small team though I am confident they can fix all the bugs they have introduced with the EE.

Im not going to say a huge amount more about the game seeing as most of you already know the story, characters and how it plays, I just wanted to talk about overhauls efforts so far since the game released.

Over the span of a just over a week, overhaul has released 4 patches of fixes and even new features.

Ive heard people say on the forums: "I cant set my fps above 30! This game is rubbish because of this!" They included this in the 3rd patch, so everyone can set their FPS to 60 if they want.

"I dont like the look of the game, widescreen mod + tutu looks way better and sharper!" so trent (director of overhaul games) posted a tweet giving gamers a .ini modification which will essentially make the game very similar to look at compared to the widescreen mod+ tutu. He stated if people liked it, they would tweak it to make it work even better.

"The spawns are too small (e.g 1 Xvart spawning and lone gibberlings) making the game too easy!" - Fixed in latest patch (apparantly, I havent tested it yet though).

All the above are valid remarks and feedback from the community, but they have fixed that much, as well as working on crashes and other hardware/software conflicts that customers are having, fixing minor bugs here and there AND working on the iPad version which was released recently... Not bad for a 13 man company in my opinion.

Im not delusional though, the release wasnt brilliant, bugs still remain and there is still alot of work to be done. But saying Overhaul arent listening at all to their community (they will only delete posts on forums if they offensive and non-constructive. In fact it is likely moderators deleting them, not overhaul employees) and dont give a s**t is complete rubbish.

Since the release which I was quite dissapointed in as well, I have seen overhaul respond in a way which you dont see many companies doing these days. They responded with an appology to people whos game wasnt working, and then have put in lots of effort trying to get it fixed. My confidence in them has grown, and to me, BG is in good hands for the future.
  4. Dec 2, 2012
    The last time I played Baldur
  5. Dec 4, 2012
    Loving this game! I've probably got 30+ hours put into it already and have encountered no bugs at all. The only reason I give it a 9 instead of a 10 is the lack of certain modern features in its quest tracking journal. Baldur's Gate 2 was one of my favorite RPGs ever, and I never finished BG1 so this release is very welcome indeed.
  6. Nov 29, 2012
    Gave it a 9/10. On the basis of nostalgia alone this game has some very good advantages. It's fully moddable, has a strong community and the content is all properly there. While there is some minor bugs with the release, it's nothing that will stop a person from playing after a driver fix or two.

Most of all the important thing is that the game is ready to be introduced to a new
    generation, and it does well with meshing all of what the community integrated over the last ten+ years from the original release.

New content and voice overs are excellent, the black pit was rather challenging and required good tactical knowledge of D&D. (It's not hurting the golem! What's that sword enhancement rating?)

Mostly I like the new characters, the Djinni, and the new party NPC's both of which have certain shall we say, romance elements. All in all I applaud Overhaul games on a job well done and look forward to Baldur's Gate 2.
  7. Dec 2, 2012
    So then, got the game and felt like a kid again. Its frikkin' Baldur's Gate right?
    Well yes and no, on one hand you will find all the butt kicking for goodness and space hamster action you may fondly remember from the original, but unfortunately most of the time the game WONT WORK.

Seriously, even their day one dlc characters that constitute for sole new content are so broken they even
    damage quest lines not related to their own. I will just point out that one of those thrilling quests is "completed" with you teleported to a cave and stuck behind a indestructible door..

Don't know how to use the console? Bad luck man, enjoy your cave. Just dust your own copy or perhaps wait for the complete edition to come out on steam and get it cheap during a sale, and if you're that desperate for playing in higher resolution there are mods available for years now that do the same thing, do it better and do it for free.
  8. Nov 29, 2012
    At first glance I'd stay with the old version and some mods; there is almost nothing the "Enhanced Edition" does better than BG1Tutu. Almost all graphical new additions are downgrades (except the higher resolutions and the zoom function). The new UI is uglier due to weird artwork and coloring (blue is some really awkward color choice) making the game breathe less quality. They would have been much better off if they just copied the Baldur's Gate 2-UI. The other new artwork (for example the new portraits that look very much like the art seen in Icewind Dale and some of the cutscenes look more like something you'd see in Torchlight than in Baldur's Gate) does not suit the old artwork, removing immersion and the classical "Baldur's Gate"-feeling; even though the art is not bad, some of it does not suit the game. Also, the option in Baldur's Gate 2 where you could increase the game clock, making the movement seem more fluid and the animations look better is non-existent, why? So what is good about the new release other than the obvious higher resolutions? The new voice acting is brilliant and some of the smaller cutscenes look splendid; I also like all the features taken from Baldur's Gate 2. I will update this review as I play on. Had some minor bugs and issues with compatibility this far but the issues were quite easy to solve with Google as help (if the game wont start due to "missing openal.dll" try googling "creativelabs openal.dll"). Expand
  9. Dec 16, 2012
    I will give this a 10 just because they are bring the best game series of all time back to life. It's freaking Baldur's Gate. The best game I've ever played! I can't wait for the following releases especially BG2 and finally BG3. I feel like a kid again :)
  10. Dec 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the old Baldur's Gate, updated to run on your current machine with a minimum of headaches. I have found zero bugs in a full playthrough already (a few crashes, but with the frequency of auto-saves, quicksaves, etc., not really too bad a problem, and they have been fixed with the updates coming out). The new characters are all right, not great, but all right. To those saying, oh, you can get a mod: this release was obviously intended for those of us not into that sort of thing. Many adults would rather pay an extra $10 and not worry with finding the right version, putting it in the right folder, etc. Ability to be on tablets, etc. My 10 score is also to offset some of the ridiculous 0 rankings on here. One zero ranking even reviewed the WRONG GAME. He quoted it as being 40 dollars and talked of rts style armies. Others complained of it not being able to run; may I point out that beamdog did tell people straight up it would have issues on intel graphic chipsets, yet some of those people bought it anyway and then complained. Another guy gave it a 0 rank because it had bg2 weapon profenciences, and he claimed bg had no katanas (don't know what game he played, I had a +1 katana sitting in my inventory at the end of the game; but simple answer: DON'T PICK THAT WEAPON IF YOU DON'T WANT TO USE IT. All in all I thought the BG2 style kits and profenciences were a good pickup; now, if BG2 EE ever gets made, your character from BG1 would go over, with not a single thing changing)

All in all, this is a great game, the new package makes it convienent for the older gamer wanting to relive the glory days without the hassle of mods, etc. It scales it to modern widescreen and hd. The BG series does hold up btw, still kicks the crap out of modern "rpgs".
  11. Dec 27, 2012
    Although this version costs $10 more than GoG's, I personally think it's a good deal. It runs much better than original game with super fast save/loading which keeps the gameplay very fluent. Additional features such as interface tweak, journal entries, camera zooming etc. are all well-done and make the game even more enjoyable to play. the new contents such black pits are also a very fun dungeon crawling experience. However, I would say if you already had the gog version and knew how to mod the game well then you probably should pass on this version, since the new contents are not worth the cost. Expand
  12. Dec 3, 2012
    Gave it 3/10
    The original game is a legend, no scratch that it beyond legend.
    BUT dont look at this as the golden BG we all know and love this is a half baked version so filled with bugs that I actually wanted to cry. Its also overpriced, has day one dlc and the dev's attidute is smugness with them treating paying customers as beta testers. And lets face it they can - the game is sold
    thru their own launcher and was denied steam acess so good luck trying to get your money back. Expand
  13. Dec 10, 2012
    I bought this game, like most of you did, for nostalgia's sake and I was NOT disappointed. For $19.99 you get the original classic Baldur's Gate 1 with the upgraded engine from BG2, new high resolutions, the ability to zoom in and out, new characters, new areas, new classes, working multi-player, ability to play it on your tablet and continuous free updates from Overhaul. I see several people complaining that you can just simply buy the original game from somewhere else for $10 and mod it yourself. This is true, you can... but I say good luck to you sir/madam and may the odds be ever in your favor. Coming from a guy who has done just that, I can tell you that this Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition game, brought to you by Overhaul, has taken the arse pain out of installing those mods. They have created, with near flawless execution, a truly enhanced edition.

Along with the future release of BG2:EE comes the prospect of the long anticipated Baldur's Gate 3. I commend Trent Oster and all the guys at Overhaul for reviving this magnificent game. I will support you for as long as you continue to revive/make great games.
  14. Dec 19, 2012
    I initially purchased the game upon release and was fairly disappointed to find that the frame rate was capped out, among other bugs and whatnot. However, I'm glad I saved my final judgement for a couple of weeks later. Constant patching from Overhaul along with community based mods make playing this game a real treat. Every time I launch it and see the newly re-added Nietzsche quote I'm greeted with that nostalgic feeling of how games used to be. The new content is fairly sparse, but not bad by any means... Just be glad that Overhaul didn't dilute or ruin that past experience. Re-immerse yourself in the golden years of gaming and patiently wait for the mods to shine through... Until then, I'm back to my brain numbingly painful hardcore playthrough ;) ... Expand
  15. Dec 19, 2012
    I daresay that Overhaul Games has revived a classic RPG. This game takes me back to my childhood fond memories. While it is true that it is possible to install the older game onto new operating systems, I found the process long and boring. Now, I can just log into the internet, download, and play this game. I haven't ran into any bugs although I know others have. Truly I cannot wait until Overhaul does BG2- Enhanced Edition as well. Thanks Overhaul! Expand
  16. Nov 29, 2012
    My first impression is that this is the Baldur's Gate I know and love. Only buggier. In just under two hours of gameplay i've had no less than five crashes, something that would be quite unheard of if I were playing the non "enhanced" BG. On the plus side, there are some new elements added to the mix including a handful of original NPCs which are very well written and voiced, as well as a new musical score by Sam Hulick. The gameplay that made Baldur's Gate so amazing remains intact, and has been enhanced in several places. In others, it has actually become worse. The UI for example, is a serious step backward. My overall feeling is that you could have just as good an experience playing the original Baldur's Gate as buying this so called "Enhanced edition". Expand
  17. Dec 14, 2012
    Those who vote "0" are morons - they vote the lowest possible rating to make the biggest difference. Utterly pathetic.

I, however, give it a 10. The reason? This is Baldur's Gate - they can release it a million more times and I will "10" it a million more times.

That is all.
  18. Dec 20, 2012
    Okay, first. Stuff the negative reviews lol.

While the game isn't as improved as I would have hoped it would have been, it remains an exceptionally good game. And the extra's (like the new NPCs) and new styling Overhaul gave the game fits brilliantly.

WotC put the kybosh on making more wide sweeping changes (like a new engine, 3d graphics etc) sadly, and gave Overhaul a fairly short
    Dev Cycle. And taking that into consideration what they did do with the game was decent.

Also going forward Overhaul are continuing to patch in fairly major features that didn't make the initial release, on pretty much every platform. So being released as it was was not a "money grab" as some have intimated.

Given the ridiculousness of the 0 reviews (not helpful guys) I feel compelled to give this game a higher score than I would have ordinarily.

The remake is not as extensive as I could have liked, but its fricking Baldur's Gate. You simply can not be sad about getting more BG. **** about paying a tenner for new BG stuff is probably the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

It would have been a 7 out of 10 for me as it stands. But giving higher to offset.
  19. Dec 5, 2012
    Well, I'm not going to review Baldur's Gate here. The game is a timeless classic, one of my all-time favourites and about as good as roleplaying for the PC ever was. Nothing about that has changed. So I AM going to review the "enhancements", the things that they charged me 20 additional bucks for.
    The technical part of the enhancement is a bit of a letdown actually. Almost everything good
    is simply a continuation of fan made mods that have been there, done that, years before. Everyone who (like me) has played BG 1 in the BG 2 engine by BGtutu, downloaded the Weidu mods or numerous fan fixes will not really notice anything groundbreakingly new. The zoom-in option is nice, at least one step above the already availbale high-res mods. Nothing really special here.
    None of my personal pet peeves and actual technical shortcomings have been addressed, though. The pathfinding AI is still abysmally bad (Firewine dungeon is still the same old unnerving headless chicken dance, when all that would be required is to change the scripts to allow player characters to pass through each other). The pRNG (pseudo random number generator) is still broken - things with a probability of 1/20 keep happening 3 times in a row (probability of 1 in 8000) way too often to be random whenever the pRNG gets stuck on a bad seed. All in all, underwhelming on the technical aspects.
    What about the additional content?
    Well, I would rate that way higher, if the two new NPCs I'm currently running with were not built either on full purpose to annoy the player or with such an amount of ineptitude it hurts.
    Neera the wild mage is a character, completely unable to do her only job. At level 1, with 4 hitpoints, she better NOT cast any spells (her only use), as there's a 1 in 20 chance for a mishap that might (and very often WILL) kill her outright. Countless reload saved games later you recruit Rasaad the monk, who, as a front line melee fighter (the only thing a monk is really there for...) also has way too bad stats and few hit points for his intended role. Combined with the inability to protect himself from critical hits (aka wear a helmet) he just keeps dying time and again so FAST, not even auto-pause and a ton of potions will help. Really, the constant accidents and reloads are so frustrating and annoying, I almost overlooked their admittedly excellent voice work and decent background stories...
    All in all, it's ok, but for an ease-of-use package that basically saves me 3 hours of downloading mods , installation and tweaking when wanting to Play BG on my new computer, the price is a bit steep.
  20. Dec 4, 2012
    Baldur's Gate needs no introduction. Setting the bar for what crpg's should be for the next decade, the Baldur's Gate released in the late 90's have gone down in the history books as the golden standard. THIS game however does little to improve on that. In fact, it does worse. There is nothing offered here that one cannot already find by means of mods for the originals. No hi-def resolution. No graphics settings of any kind. SLOW loading and stuttering gameplay put a blemish on the original. I cannot see this as anything but a cash grab by the developers. Shame on them for that. This is the equivalent of giving the Mona Lisa a facelift using spraypaint. I'm all for supporting indie developers, but this isn't a charity. I will NOT be buying the subsequent releases. I will be returning this game via credit card chargeback. Expand
  21. Dec 6, 2012
    They killed it, the game is broken beyond playing.. Think Sword of the stars 2 release was bad? This is worse by a Texan mile, the textures glitch out, the cinematics awful or not often crash the game, the weapon balance is even worse then bg2 - here's a hint ANYTHING but longsword is a false choice..
    Their dlc characters are worse then those in 24 hour challenge mods. But the worse is
    their attitude, they censor and delete any and all posts who question that their game might be indeed broken..
    Overhaul games my left foot, overpriced garbage more like it.
  22. Dec 9, 2012
    People are as whiny and quick to grab the pitchforks as ever. The bugs are overstated. They mostly pertain to intel integrated graphics and multiplayer lobbies. All issues have been acknowledged and diligently worked on since the game was launched (4 patches out within the span of two weeks), and the dev team shows great humility and dedication judging from their statements on the official forum. Just the fact that they maintain a direct line of communication with the fans speaks volumes about their attitude -- and let's face it, in the long run, nothing is more important than that. I think a lot of people don't even realize how small the EE team is at the moment (only 12 people), and that they have to deal with things that large companies with big budgets simply don't have to worry about.

Buying this game was a no-brainer for me, if only for the continued support (in the form of patches and DLCs) and prospects of BG2EE (and other infinity engine titles, both old and brand new). All the important mods are already being ported over, and very soon BGEE will be the definitive way to play the Baldur's Gate saga, with all of the advantages and none of the flaws of the (brilliant, but outdated and stagnant) original release.

I couldn't be happier with the purchase, and I must say that my personal experience has been 100% bug-free. Even if it wasn't, I wholeheartedly support anyone who dedicates their time to producing Infinity Engine content in 2012, regardless of any potential oversights (which, as we've already seen, are being corrected in real time with great dedication).
  23. Feb 13, 2013
    I was biased. I WANTED to love this game. Baldur's Gate II is in my top five games of all time, no question. Baldur's Gate wasn't as polished, but it was a great buildup for the superior sequel. When I saw EE out, I dropped the money without hesitation. Before I knew it, I was drawn right back in and pounding through the game once more with a Sorcerer.

God damn was it frustrating!

On
    the good side: the new characters are fantastic, though their balance is questionable. All three have such good voice acting and character development that they honestly feel as if they were there from the beginning. As to the balance I mentioned, Dorn is a killing machine that puts Minsc to shame. Neera is a wild mage... which... well you know about wild mages. Rasaad is a meat popsickle. I liked his character, so I played with him the entire game. He was terrible, simply because low level monks are worthless in this edition of the D&D ruleset. Ironically they scale incredibly well, so by the end of BG2 Rasaad is going to be a rampaging god of death. But he is simply dead weight in BG1.

On the bad side: they say they added over 400 improvements? Well they broke just as many things. The game is riddled with bugs, and considering how many hours I've put into the original BG1 and BG2, I feel rather sure that a lot of these bugs weren't around before. Nothing is game breaking (except for one big one I'll mention in a second), but its a lot of very pervasive minor stuff. Characters will audibly confirm a movement order, then not move until you click a second time. Characters won't autoattack when they should. It was enough that halfway through, I was feeling pretty disillusioned. I could have bought the gog non-enhanced version for half the price, and except for the new characters been perfectly happy. The nail in the coffin for me did not come until the very end however.

I beat Sarevok in the final showdown, the game pauses and gives the message 'congratulations on beating Sarevok! Your game will now be saved for export to BG2!'. And then it crashed to desktop. A quick google search showed that this is a bug that was well known before the beta, quite a few people have experienced it, and they released the game with it still there. I didn't get to see the ending cinematic. I don't really care. I just feel ripped off that on top of all the small bugs, this huge bug made it through to production. It ended the experience on a giant, wet and floppy sour note.

I won't be buying BG2:EE.
  24. Jan 4, 2013
    The game had a very buggy release, but within a month Overhaul games had released 5 comprehensive updates that fixed most (if not all) of the bugs. Plus they fixed some old bugs that were present in the original release that had never been fixed.

Now you get to experience the original game in all it's glory, with the kits and new weapon specialities from BGII, plus 3 new (very well
    done) characters. The game is EXTREMELY challenging by today's standards, even on the normal difficulty. But you can raise the difficulty to the max setting for a truly challenging experience that few modern games can rival. And you will get engrossed in the world of Faerun!!!

I think the review scores for this game are much lower than they should be due to the admittedly very buggy release. But now after 5 comprehensive updates, the game in a masterpiece.
  25. Jan 27, 2013
    A great game with some new bonus content, and most importantly it will run on newer operating systems in the proper resolution. Unfortunately the amount of new content is a bit limited for the price tag. Some new characters with side quests and some interface improvements may not justify 20 dollars if you already own the original and have modded it to a state that is pretty similar to what BG:Enhanced gives you. Expand
  26. Dec 11, 2012
    I had great hopes, becausei absolutely loved and adored baldur's gate 2.. and having never played BG1, i was very excited..turns out, it did not hold up for me.. you would have a better experience with the game when using the Gog edition.. with all the community content..
  27. Jan 23, 2013
    This game is NOT broken. It is a great game and a ton of fun for old school RPGers. Unfortunately when I was young I missed this game... However, thanks to the Enhanced Edition I can enjoy it in 2013.
    The plot is interesting, the characters are interesting and the combat method is interesting.
    The game is NOT EASY! Thank God! A game presents me with a challenge, who would have thought?
    Character can DIE...*ghasp* indeed they are expendable. If you want to play hard core you can. You pick your friends and foes. In some ways this game gives you more freedom than Skyrim, and your allies have WAY more depth.... Hell, at one point I went too long without honoring a ally's agreement to join my quest and he turned on me!
    Anyone who gives this game a 1 is just being a spoiled prude.
  28. Jul 3, 2013
    After also purchasing and playing the GOG version, I have to spread the word that this version is easily the best version of BG presently available. There may be broken quests in terms of moddable material that hasn't been rendered. There may also be overpowered kits. I find such complaints to be pretty foolish since any reviewer who cared that much about these issues should be able to mod the game the way they like it or bump up the difficulty as a work-around for their personal issues. Graphically this version is SWEET. The added sound files are nice. The add ons are all good. Only TRUE problem is the price. $20 is too much. $10 is perfect. Apparently there are some issues with Atari which mean the enhanced version of BG2 has been delayed. This may not be a bad thing. The GOG version of BG2 is already near-perfect, so Beam Dog will probably have to work a bit harder to create any new value with an enhanced version. Good things take time. This game is a MUST BUY when its on sale at around $5. Expand
  29. Dec 3, 2012
    Here's my thoughts about the game by notes while I played it. - Great engaging music. - Zoom and hear soldiers marching, creating a great atmosphere. - Maps to explore hiding treasures and monsters. - Customization on character. - Lots of items and well organized for you to pick. - Items match you character looks (cloth, armor, weapons). -- Stunning graphics for an old school rpg feel. - Advanced interface on character skill/magic casting, very easy to use. - Mix of RTS and RPG seamless. - Characters join hero party, balancing all round skills. - Skill/magic tree to build character for all companions. - Interesting story adding new and creative lore on fantasy worlds (not just orcs vs humans stereotype). - Various game modes. - Cutscenes are joined weirdly. Beginning of the story jumps straigh to a dialogue hard to pick up (needs to be corrected by devs). - Unit animation is well done, with fluid moves . - Day and night provide different atmosphere. - A great game to create a DOTA style of play map. - Few games of nowadays that actually kept lan mode to play at home with friends. - Unit animation when hit by enemies. - Not for COD & Battlefield players: you can't have a game with those graphics in a RTS game, so don't wine about it. It's better than most mmo's around anyway (I've seen the graphics argument on youtube and it's ridiculous, pure gratuitous bashing). - Allows to be played on older pcs since its graphical detail can be easely modified. - You can choose either to be nasty and devious or kind hearted and righteous in the outcomes of small quests (lie, help for example) - Unique sets to equip characters with bonuses found throughout the game. All in all it's a fundamental "must have" on rts based games ownership. There isn't much of this kind of quality games anymore and if you're a fan already of the series, it can be easily purchased on steam for example. Look for gameplay videos on youtube and check the site out and decide for yourself if it's worth or not, at least it's not a hyped game and from big corps advertising it everywhere and promising what they don't deliver. This is just my recommendation. Cheers! Expand
  30. Dec 6, 2012
    In short, if you liked the first one, avoid this hacked together, amateur mess. Even if we are kind and ignore the plague of technical issues that this game shipped with (I only experienced the mouse issue and enabling vsync fixed it for me) this is still a terrible game. The graphics are simply dire: no shadows, no reflections, muddy textures and extremely low detail all throughout - it loks like a DX4 game. Running this at max details I get a very high frame rate (though it constantly bombs up and down for no reason) and it looks like a game from more then 20 years ago. It is a flat, boring, featureless world. The controls are vague and fairly unresponsive and generally you never really feel as though you are in control of the (utterly hateful and idiotic) protagonist. He is happy to bomb around, doing as he pleases, attacking what he wants, jumping where he fancies and generally ignoring the hell out of you while you miss target after target, normally as arbitrary and pointless countdowns expire meaning you fail the quest. The one thing I could have noted as a good point for this game is the ability to save whenever you like, rather than the usual auto-save nonsense, but even that is broken. Saving produces a pointless replica of the previous save, utterly ignoring anything you did since. Even if all the technical issues are fixed, the graphics will remain far below par (even for an overhauled game), the port will remain horrible and utterly bereft of care and attention and the story line will be pallid and uninteresting. Do yourself a favour and install the first game - you'll be a lot happier. Expand
  31. Dec 6, 2012
    It's fair to say, I'm very disappointed - I've spent money to purchase and play the game, and I'm not able to play at all, which for me is a bit of a major. I think it's very unreasonable to be expected to pay money now and then wait weeks/months to get a patch to fix the game so that I can play... I'd much rather spend my money on something else now, enjoy that game, and then spend my money on Baldurs Gate "Enhanced Edition" in a few months time (assuming its been fixed). Attempts to contact Overhaul Games support have gone unanswered, which is even more disappointing since I expect more from a reputable game dev. house. Expand
  32. Dec 7, 2012
    As a fan of the BG series, I was enthusiastic about the release of this game and the boasting of his in depth gameplay. I was immediately smacked in the face with reality upon loading this game for the first time. First, the opening cinematics wouldn't display and the PC would just hang a black screen. This turned out to be because the game couldn't handle 1900x1200 graphics, so I had to edit the config file to disable the cinematics just to get the game to load. Upon starting the game for the first time, I was filled with nostalgia as the games graphics and feel reminded me of the original BG1 game from the late 90's. The graphics aren't much more up to date than that. Ignoring the look of it though, I pressed on through a bit of the campaign hoping that the game play would reflect something more meaningful. Unfortunately, it did not. The "political intrigue" that was promised is nothing more than an annoying game of cat and mouse between your Fighter, Mage, Rogue, and Assassin characters. The entire political/underhanded sub plot to the game isn't anything new or exciting, it's just a tedious boredom. The "armies" are made up of generic looking units who follow the typical rock paper scissors approach to combat, and the combat itself doesn't feel very satisfying. Even after a massive battle between multiple units I was left feeling disappointed. Games such as Warcraft were able to capture the frenetic pace and feel of a large scale fight, while BGEE was barely able to capture my attention to them. My love for the book and the game series drove me to continue playing, in hopes of finding a bright spot in the game. In the end though, I realized I had simply wasted $40 and a whole lot of time on a game that should have been relegated to the top shelves of Wal-Mart alongside the old $10 games. Don't waste your money or your time on this. The game is an injustice to the world that Bioware built, and a sadly outdated addition to the RPG world. Expand
  33. Cik
    Jul 3, 2013
    Excellent game, and a first of its' kind when first released. Now at $5 on steam again, it earns itself a 10 becasue it is the absolute best rpg and series of its' time .

This game set the stage for the genre and giving it anything but a 10 is like giving Alexander Graham Bell anything but a 10 for being the pioneer in communication with the Telephone.
  34. Jan 25, 2013
    The game is made by old bioware devs and the result is a game true to its old edition with very nice additions that hopefully will be increased in the future. Given that the game sells enough to keep investing on it.
    Any BG fan bashing EE is being stupid. This and BG2EE is your last chance of getting good BG games.
  35. X0R
    Dec 26, 2012
    Really disappointed with this "enhanced" version. Quickly became bored with the gameplay and wished I would have been donated the 20-bucks to a worthwhile charity instead. Next time I feel nostalgic about an old game, I'll just watch youtube videos.
  36. Dec 5, 2012
    This game is broken, they ruined my childhood experience. There are no improvements besides the ones you can get with mods + tutu.

There are new bugs and flaws:

a) the new monk says the same thing over and over again.
    b) the zoom feature is just too blurry
    c) the new UI was mad and very poor resolution
    d) the game crashes often
  37. Jan 10, 2013
    I think this version of Baldurs gate is actually pretty lame. I also think it is expensive for what you actually get, especially considering that most of the work had been done beforehand by avid fans for free. I think the dev's recognised this, so tacked on the black pits adventure, which sits entirely separate from the main quest, and throw in a few extra characters. The adventure is good, but not really necessary, and the extra characters are also good, aside from Neera's awful voice acting. They would have done better to license a suitable, modern engine and re do the game in that IMO. A bit like how half life was re done in source. One crucial difference there though, black mesa was free, this isnt. Expand
  38. Dec 7, 2012
    Sword? Check. Shield? Check. Bow and arrows? Check! Stop drop and roll, to avoid the essence of mediocrity? Double check! Welcome to Overhaul Games second attempt at catching lightning in the bottle. It failed on BGEE to capture that video game magic found in BG 1 & 2. Sadly, Beamdog dropped the ball on game mechanics, storyline and variety. The game is a technical gem to behold, I'll give the development team at Overhaul Games credit for that (its hard to make a game this buggy when starting from a complete game that lacked any/all present bugs). Such an achievement should be the "norm", in today's technology driven society. I'm a realist Overhaul Games are an buisness, they need to make money. Lowering your standards for gameplay for a broad spectrum of 'gamers' is today's 'money grab' for software publishers like Overhaul Games. The game mechanics are horrid, the flow of combat, becomes a simple roll, charge one direction, swing weapon, roll and maybe fire off your three different versions of the same spell. Oh, I forgot you can use a bow and arrow to shoot monsters, it's a kiting riot! The game has hardly any active skills, most are passive. The weapon charge system is a dated concept. Multi hit is dated concept, it's a hack n slash principle. There is no riposte system, there is no flank system, stealth is a joke, you can't sneak up and back stab. There is no back stepping, unless you're using a bow and arrow. Running backwards makes your nameless avatar run with his back to the monster. Overall the game mechanics are sub par. The saving grace of this game, is the stunning atmosphere, but beyond that avoid this title until it drops in price. The game does offer good frame rates, on most top end video cards. The load times are quick. Thanks for reading. Expand
  39. Dec 9, 2012
    If you're a huge fan of the original or if you don't want to bother with modding the original game, you might be interested in this title, though at 20$ it remains pretty expensive for what it has to offer. I was expecting more than what the mods already made available since the release of this 1998 classic. 3 npcs and The Black Pits, are nice additions, but ultimately, the game remains the same. You won't notice most of the enhancements made except for the zoom function, which wasn't needed in the first place, since the outdated graphics weren't improved and zooming out isn't required much. I can't give this game more than a 4/10, sadly, for it's a useless release and simply a way for the team behind it to make some money. Hopefully they have, and will release something signifantly better for BG2. Expand
  40. Jan 16, 2013
    I played the game in January 2013 and I have to say I didnt encounter a single bug in the whole campaign or the black pits. Basically this game is Baldur Gate with better graphics and no bugs , I never played baldur gate before so I enjoyed it. If you alredy played Baldur Gate you are not going to find anything new , the game still delivers for people who are new and its entretainig. P.S :People who are giving negative reviews are doing it on nostalgia because they liked the original more (when its the same thing with worst graphics and bugs) and bugs, as I said I never came across a bug in about 20 hours of gameplay and as I said im playing after many patches in January 2013. Expand
  41. Jan 16, 2013
    I have been gaming for 26+ years and baldur's gate stands out as one of my favorite. All of bioware/black isle games of that time stand out and you know what? Theres a collection that includes them all (original BG1, BG2, IWD, IWD2, PST and ToEE) for the same price as this called Dungeons & Dragons Anthology: The Master Collection. I can't give this game less than 8 simply because its baldur's gate even if I think it's a bit overpriced. Depending on compatibility, this version might appeal to some people because of that. "Squeaky wheel gets the kick"

To newcomers, this game has some voice acting but be prepared to read a lot of dialog. Also note that this game uses the 2nd edition AD&D rules which may overwhelm to some degree people that never experienced it directly. The Enhanced Edition does include a tutorial that will help. Lastly, expect some annoying control issues like no dual wielding and no easy way to toggle between ranged weapons and melee. Don't let this stuff discourage you though because walking away from this game if you can handle these issues would be a mistake. The story is great, Minsc is awesome and deserves a personal mention and the combat is a lot of fun. The combat is tactical pause and resume style gameplay much like KOTOR or dragon age.
  42. Jun 2, 2013
    The ridiculously low negative reviews are unjustified. The game is exactly what it says it is: an enhanced version of Balder's Gate. I didn't experience any of the crashes some of the other uses reported and while i do think it is a little overpriced for the slight enhancements it provides, i still think its worth a buy.
  43. Jan 24, 2013
    A very good 'spruce up' of easily my favourite game of all time. Sure there were a few launch bugs (some of which have yet to be ironed out) and the new dialogue isn't in the same league as the older material, but this is a classic game given new life and for that is to be applauded. Any fan of the series will revel in the immersion and atmosphere of the original replete with all the worthwhile changes from Baldur's Gate 2. Newcomers will find the embodiment of a classic, story-driven isometric RPG before the shamefully barren period that followed it. Expand
  44. Jan 30, 2013
    Quite a treat for us infinity fans, the franchise is just the best out there, BG was, is and will be the epitome of rpg story driven adventure of all time.

At this point - several major patches have arrived making the rather unpolished initial release quite impressive.

Simply a must for any fan or newcomer of strategy rpg.

Oh yea almost forgot, ad&d 2nd edition is just spot on.
  45. Jan 18, 2013
    Based on read user reviews ppl are rating this game based on how much it cost (which ofc will drop) and thats not fair in my opinion because in this case most good AAA games at its release would be rated much lower. To counter this im giving it 10/10 although otherwise i would rate it 9/10. BGEE is a great game it doesnt spoil anything that is in vanila game and it just adds higher resolution and few new quest connected with new NPCs that are added in this game and not to mention hundreds of bugfixes.
    Overhaul did what they wanted and that is to bring this great game to new generations and pll who dont bother spending hours with installing dozens of mods before actually playing this great game.
  46. Jan 20, 2013
    Utter nostalgia heaven! Rebuilt using the Baldur's Gate 2 improved engine, including modern resolution support. It's a real treat to return to the game that built a franchise and set the bar for story quality for so many years. Returning veterans will enjoy the game with improved colors and 3 new characters, and newcomers will be pulled into a setting that will absorb days of their lives with its richness. If you've never played Baldur's Gate before, don't miss out. If you played it before, don't miss the chance to treat yourself again. A true masterpiece of storytelling. Expand
  47. Jan 22, 2013
    ..It's Baldur's Gate. Rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia make it difficult to view the game objectively. The upgrades make the game fresh and slightly more intuitive. [Most] of the bugs of the original have been fixed. Unfortunately, the new content is mediocre and doesn't fit the game well.
  48. Feb 24, 2013
    Baldur's Gate itself, is a solid 10/10 for its time and genre. A classic RPG worth visiting if you were too young when it was originally released out to enjoy it. The story is great and the game play and atmosphere is very strong, drawing you in. This however, is pretty much the exact same game, repackaged and a re-sold. I struggled to find the new things (it had been about 10 years since i played it).

I feel like they should have just went ahead and used a different engine for the game (like the neverwinter nights 2 one, or something similar and more stable). And actually, you know, "update" it.
  49. Jan 20, 2013
    Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is for the most part the way it once was back when it was released about 15 years ago, but it comes with three extra companions, a multi-level gladiator arena called the Black Pits, and supposedly 400 fixes. I give this game an earnest 7/10 because for the most part, it is still a solid game as it once was, and the writing for both the companions and the Black Pits seem decent. Where this game lost marks on, however, is the seemingly lack of content. 15 years later, this game really hasn't changed much, and much of the improvements can be found through modding the original game at absolutely no charge. There seems more readily apparent bugs than what was fixed, and the new content simply do not seem all that extensive. The companion dialogues and adventures are all rather short, and the Black Pits consists but only two areas. Furthermore, the original cinematic cutscenes were cut out in favor of 2d artistic renditions, which, while looks decent, seems diminutive compared to the original movies. All-in-all, it is still a decent game. After six patches, the original version of Baldur's Gate with a mod or two still seems the better version compared to this "Enhanced Edition." However, there is currently people who are active in modding this Enhanced Edition, and if the momentum in this department continues forth, this version may potentially exceed the original yet. There is also supposed to be a matchmaking service for multiplayer looming on the horizon, so again, it might be something to look forward to. Expand
  50. Jan 29, 2013
    Very disapointed since I was looking forward to this re release. But Intel gfx here so the game suffers from rendering issues. for the price they ask they should be delivering a flawless experiences after 10 years.
  51. Oct 16, 2013
    Worth it for nostalgia reasons. However there's not a huge amount "enhanced" about this. And if they're going to ask for a fair bit more than what you can get from the basic gog download then it should certainly have had more work done to it as it still feels as old as the original. However, I can't give this a bad review.... I mean, come on.... it's Baldurs Gate... It's just a shame the enhancements were so slight. Expand
  52. May 18, 2013
    I didn't actually have a single problem running this game, although if you alt+tab out, there is a minor map scrolling problem with the mouse. Sadly this "enchanced" edition has some irritating bugs. Sometimes when you steal and you're caught, it won't announce it above your character. If you kill a person in a town, sometimes their scream for help will repeat in town throughout the rest of the game even when you were in a building. In a certain town, some NPCs scream and run for help upon you doing battle with enemies even if they are not close to you, the NPCs ordinary dialogue still triggers. There are a lot of containers (specifically shelves) which trigger the stealing module when you look at the contents which makes no sense. Neither does stealing something and then walking into a persons vision without stealth. Stealing is more effort than it's worth, money is plentiful in this game. The sounds and gfx are far from special. Sadly the game has issues with balance of some classes, party characters, exp and quest rewards. The quest log/journal is good once you get used to the chapter thing but far from perfect, many quests are left in after passing and sometimes it's not updated properly or repeats a characters quest in a new chapter. Baldur's gate is a mess, there is a wall splitting the map in many of the nine areas and finding NPCs by entering a building map or area map is not possible. Overall I wasn't particularly overwhelmed by the game, the difficulty was okay although fairly easy after the early levels. I also noticed in the one case where I thought "Know Alignment might be useful here..." my character pointed out that the guy telling the truth sounded like he was telling the truth, this was incredibly insulting as it literally solved the dilemma for me without apparently requiring anything like a ****king stat check. Holy Expand
  53. Feb 7, 2013
    i bought this because i thought it included baldur's gate 2. sadly it doesn't. the graphics are no joy. there is actually a mod that uses graphics from baldur's gate 2 in baldur's gate 1 which improves the game's enjoyment quite a bit. it may still be around on the net. baldur's gate 2 remains one of the greatest games of all time. it was inspired and nothing has really come close to it since.
  54. Feb 11, 2013
    Aside from the bugs, it is an alright game (note I never played it before, so no nostalgia) and I am not using any of the classes from Baldur's Gate 2 anyway. This game just simply is not fantastic. The voice acting is ok, but its annoying how often the characters talk when you control them, especially the extremely annoying Xzar you find early on. The music is good, the combat is ok (so many misses early game) characters are cool, but rarely bother to talk aside from those annoying movement lines. Story is mediocre. Oh and the intel graphics problems are so easily fixed, you actually don't deserve the game if you think they are a problem. Fixed it in 10 minutes. Game runs fine afterwards. Expand
  55. Jul 3, 2013
    Worst game i have ever played combat system sucks graphics are terrible game is painfully slow this hasnt aged well atall still has loads of bugs feels sluggish just a complete and utter pain to play people who praise this game praise from nostalgia steer clear.
  56. Jul 28, 2013
    A pretty good upgrade to the game with out really adding a great deal to the original adventure and at a slight expensive price. Still a classic and worth playing.
  57. Jan 17, 2013
    I made an account on this website just to say this: Stay away from this game if you love baldurs gate. They **** the game up, it was a big waste of money. The new interface is so ulgy, the only thing they did was merge all the community content. Which was FREE to begin with. Seriously the company that made this should go broke and be forgotten. 20 Euro's ?? YOU KIDDING ME?
  58. Jan 26, 2013
    Baldurs Gate is a phenomenal series of games, but this Enhanced Edition may not be worth the price tag. Everything they did, other than the additional content (which is buggy as hell), is doable by modding the original game.
    If you already own Baldur's Gate, I would advise against picking this up. If you havn't played Baldur's Gate and want to, I suppose this is a decent place to start,
    but for a little extra effort and a much lower price you can purchase an original copy and mod these features in yourself. Expand
  59. Mar 5, 2013
    Excellent game, and honestly, considering the time that has passed, it still looks and plays great. If you're an AD&D or Forgotten Realms fan, it'll be right up your alley. They've fixed about 600 bugs that people have reported since launch at this point, and they're flying through all of the rest as people keep reporting them. Excellent game with an excellent support team.
  60. Apr 17, 2013
  61. May 20, 2013
    To a fan of the other original....skip it.....to a new comer....it MIGHT be what you're looking for. I'd personally recommend getting the originals off of GoG and then adding mods to bring it up to your tastes, since the fan mods aren't bound by the same restrictions Beamdog was and have put forth a much more enjoyable game.

Well it was a project doomed to failure before it even began.
    They're under contract to not change ANY of the original story plots or character quests, which means anyone hoping to see BG and BG2 in the way they were MEANT to be played, without the time constraints that forced so many quests and characters to be dropped...you're out of luck. Even among the modding community only a handful of the unfinished quests and plots have been implemented. And those terms are very likely to carry forth to BG2:EE as well. Meaning several character's questlines and plot points will remain tragically cut short, and ToB will still be a gutted, contradictory mess of what was supposed to have been an epic third full game (not an expansion) finale to the series.

And rather then correcting oversights in the BG2 engine that EE uses, they've broken it even further. Not to mention the new kits that are utterly broken (either they don't work at all, or are stupidly overpowered). But I don't 100% blame the developers for that. BG2's hasty release resulted in several official kits being grossly more powerful then intended and Beamdog simply based their new kits on those already in the game, since they're contract bound to not re-balance the kits. The new NPCs are somewhat of a mixed bag. Dorn is an overpowered monster that doesn't need a party at all, while Neera and Rashad are closer to proper NPCs (Rashad being grossly underestimated due to the fact that a low level monk plays MUCH differently then a high level one, rather then playing the same way throughout as in 3rd edition). The 4th hidden character, despite having ridiculous stats (they don't really do anything worth while to warrant griping about, unlike Dorn), isn't a gamebreaker any more then any other npc part-caster can be, and has a reasonably well written personality. With exception to Dorn, who needs some heavy tweaking, the NPCs weren't too bad.
  62. Aug 19, 2013
    This game is a polished up version of the original. Others have posted that in some way this version is worse, they obviously don't own it. My only complaint is that not more was added.

Still remains one of the best rpgs of all time. Get it on sale on steam.
  63. Jun 12, 2013
    I thought this would be a modernized version of an old game. Instead it plays like a very old game. It's dumb. There is a mod out for Neverwinter Nights 2 that recreates Baldur's gate, and so I recommend people play that. I was ripped off twenty bucks simply because I couldn't believe they would charge that amount for a game that wasn't of certain quality. I was wrong.
  64. Jan 19, 2013
    What a waste of resources. I loved BG at its time but really, that time has long since passed and this game with the same ancient graphics and almost same story is just not worth it today.
  65. Jul 29, 2013
    I can't disagree with everyone else saying that "it's the same old game," because it is. What did you expect? If you're not willing to pay $20 to replay Baldur's Gate, then don't get it. I do, however, think that this game is a steal if you get while it's on sale. I picked it up for $5 while it was a "midweek madness" deal on Steam.

I loved the changes to the game that the Enhanced
    Edition brought, things that, when absent, make the original game almost unbearable to play. Ammunition stacks to 80 (yay!), potions stack to 15, containers, and all of the improvements that Shadows of Amn made to the game.

I had a ton of fun replaying Baldur's Gate and thought that the Enhanced Edition was a steal for $5. Even if I had bought it for $20, I still wouldn't feel cheated I currently have 41 hours of playtime on it, and haven't even beaten it yet (although I think I am in the last stage of the game).

Overall I would say, lots of fun as is to be expected from Baldur's Gate, great improvements to the game, great nostalgia trip but if you're not willing to shell out $20 for it, wait for it to go on sale in Steam and then pick it up.
  66. Feb 10, 2013
    The original game was so good and atmospheric that it still stands today, though the new Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition doesn't bring a lot more to the table. You do get a better interface, sharper graphics and a lot of bug fixes
  67. Sep 26, 2013
    This game has been updated. The graphical interface (updates) were the first positive aspect that I noticed in juxtaposition to the original version. I played through the first part of this game with a tinge of speed, satisfaction and immersion that just wasn't possible the first time around (in the original). Steam really compliments this release, a full install, no shifting back and forth between six CD ROM. The new resolutions, textures, zoom out feature, etc all assist in a level of enjoyment not possible with the original. In compliment, there's a few extra characters to expand the roaming level of augmented possibility (especially for when BG2:EE is released). On a downside, the new "Cut-scenes" are hit and miss; they lack the original talent of the talented collaborators Baldur's Gate development team (first release PS Interplay I miss you so much). Also the new portraits are clumsy in contrast to the old. Overall? Who doesn't want to play automated and updated Dungeons and Dragons from the original success story, rendered with a constructive revision?

Obviously, this is a revamp of an old classic. I still consider Baldur's Gate essentially unparallelled in immersion and depth within the RPG genre; but let's call a spade a spade. This game is great, but not built from the ground up. Imagine what could be possible with the dynamics of this game in a new body?

9.2/10

-youcreatea
  68. Feb 4, 2013
    First i was like yeah Baldurs Gate, good old times. After that: Bugs, Bugs and bugs. But they have been fixed mostly by now. The new cut scenes are worse than the old ones. But big plus: 80 Arrows in 1 item Slot! Also classes from BG II built in. The remake of the game is troublesome at the beginning, but the game itself is that great, so i don't care ^^
  69. Apr 5, 2013
    An excellent release of Baldur's Gate along with the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion included, so you get to play in Durlag's Tower, Ulgoth's Beard as well as the Cloud Peaks. I've used most of the new characters (apart from the Blackguard), and they fit in well. The voice acting is great and the story fits in just fine. The game itself has the fastest launch known to mankind, and the whole thing is just really well polished. I'd give it a 10, but the very first quest (to get a scroll of identify) is broken, as is the Doppelgänger quest later in the game. Those are the only two niggles top marks for the rest. Expand
  70. Apr 29, 2013
    This was pretty much the exact same game as the original. I never once had an issue with gameplay or bugs, and liked the simple additions.

I cannot wait for the release of the Enhanced Edition for BG2.
  71. Jul 29, 2013
    Though I appreciate the effort of the team behind Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, it sadly is diminished by the hard work of the original game's modding community, who have been able to do great things already with a still great game.

To those who want to play Baldur's Gate for the first time, I'll leave a link to the ideal version which is available for purchase and download. The site
    provides and thoroughly useful and effective mod guide that will update the game in more ways than you could imagine, all the while retaining a cheap ten dollar price and managing to make far better addition than this Enhanced Edition.

Baldur's Gate: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/baldurs_gate_the_original_saga

Modding Guide: http://www.gog.com/news/enhance_the_gameplay_in_your_edition_of_baldurs_gate_from_gogcom
  72. Jul 21, 2013
    This is not actually a review of the game which have obviously been one of the greatest games of the past. This version of the game is absolutely ridiculous. It adds nearly nothing except a little more barely playable content. The number of bugs is astonishing, playing a multiplayer game, which is actually what most of the people buying it would have probably wanted to do is nearly impossible due to the fact that almost everything get bugged, it's seriously almost impossible to play, i can't believe how somebody can release something like that and how anybody in the world who calls himself a critic can review a steaming piece of work like this one in a positive way, it's just a money ripoff for a thing that plainly doesn't work.

The price also isn't cheap at all for a game that have been released a lot of time ago and most of people have already bought once.

This game is very old and still feels very old, nostalgic player should stick to the old version and younger player who want to play a living piece of gaming history should search for a cheaper, older version, possibly modded and fixed from the community (better than this one, and for free)
  73. Aug 28, 2013
    The game has a few wayword bugs still but you can get fixes for them from the main forums (you can just drop the fixes into an easily found folder its far easier and less time consuming than installing Tutu). They are very easy to find if you google them. I'd give it an 8.5/10. Its better than Tutu or BGT, in that it addresses some of the more serious problems that they never could (due to hardcoding). Also it contains all fixes contained in any of the fixpacks released for Tutu/BG2 and modders like Camdawg have been working with the development team to improve the game. So astralphoenix77's statement that BGEE is "obsolete" because of other community patches is actually far from the truth. The game actually uses an updated version of the ToB engine, better than the version being used by Tutu/BGT.

Overall I'd say this is worth spending the extra money on. The new kits they added are interesting, there are no game-breaking bugs (unlike a lot of the older NPC mods for BG2 that haven't been updated in years like Saerileth), and you'll get plenty of hours out of it regardless of how much you pay. Plus you'll be able to use the new kits when BG2EE comes out.
  74. Sep 2, 2013
    Better than the original Baldur Gate for me.Nice new characters and higher level cup.I also loved the new adventure, The Black Pits.I stil play it.I hope they have a similar adventure to Baldurs Gate 2.I didnt find a lot of bugs.If you liked the first Baldurs Gate you must buy the enhanced edition and play it.
  75. Sep 12, 2013
    Having owned the original version of this game with several discs, it must be said that the main reason for obtaining this game is convenience. The enhanced edition adds a few extra characters and quests here and there, but it is largely the same as the original. There have been a number of issues with bugs in the steam edition, but these are fixable and hopefully updates are on the way now that contractual issues have been resolved. Worth a positive score simply because the original game was that good, but this port has not enhanced the game in any particular way. Definitely worth playing if you enjoy RPG's, it's the most in depth game of it's time. Expand
  76. Sep 28, 2013
    This game is a lot of fun, always has been. It's good to be finally able to get to play the game even on a whim, without having to go through the trouble of getting it to work on new PCs, setting up mods to make it worthwhile and so on. In it's current stage, it has no game-stopping bugs; in fact it worked just fine for me even in multiplayer from day one.

The new characters and content
    are interesting enough, and even though I had some doubts about the Black Pits at first, I found it fun as well, with good gameplay and characters. The best thing about BG:EE is that it will get continued support with new patches and content as we go along... and to me it's also important as a necessary step towards BG2:EE, an enhanced version of what I view as the best RPG of all time. Expand
  77. Nov 11, 2013
    New interface and higher resolution font (patched in Nov. 2013) + Many bug fixes and BG2-ruleset incorporation - Same low resolution sprites and backgrounds - High price for existing free community content - New cutscenes are inferior and nebulous Baldur's Gate 1 is a great game, but this product isn't disappointing by itself; it's disappointing because it is establishing a low bar which will undoubtedly be reproduced in the "EE" versions of BG2 and potentially Planescape: Torment. The only people I could recommend play this are those with strong nostalgia for the original. It's unfortunate that the original studios no longer exist to retain control of their license. Expand
  78. Aug 9, 2014
    I think peoples will buy this just to see "enhanced" game with run on modern computer at 1-fps, which normally could run on toaster at 60-fps. This is Guiness Record for worst improvement category. This is like use donkey to pull Ferrari.
  79. Jul 2, 2014
    I first played this game at a friends house back when I was probably say 14-15, only briefly. I recently got steam and saw this game and the sequel on sale for I think 7 dollars and 14 dollars respectively. I'm pretty close to the end of the first game and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. I could see myself playing through this game multiple times using different characters and finding new quests and cool npcs. Really don't see why this game is rated at 7.1 at the moment but I guess different people like different games. Expand
  80. Sep 23, 2014
    Don't understand the low review scores, this game rocked when it first came out & continues to rock today. Devs today STILL use the BG formula to make games (check out Dead State, a zombie infested BG-like game set in modern times). The graphics are a bit dated but the story & gameplay are as deep & satisfying as it was back in 1998. Add in the side conversations, romance & NPC's who have their own agendas & you have a game that will keep you up at night just to see what happens next. Expand
  81. Aug 30, 2014
    Beamdog has breathed new life into an ailing and ancient game. No one can dispute how good the original Baldur's Gate was, but I will argue that this edition truly is enhanced. No messy mods to fix graphical issues, a vast array of bug fixes, new quests and new characters with more dialogue go a long way in adding value. If I wanted a junked-up game I had to add third-party fan-made mods to, I would just go to GoG and buy an original copy (or find my six installation CDs from the 90's). The enhanced edition brings me the game I remember with less of the bugs and some truly optimal new features (use of the BG2 engine, spells and class kits, constant patches for continued upgrades, etc.). I am glad to own this game, and I have already logged over 300 hours playing on BG:EE. Expand
  82. Aug 30, 2014
    Now if this was a review of the game after it's release it would be a few notches lower. The game released quite clearly unfinished and the developers admitted so and were committed to continuing the bug hunt and perfecting this game and they did just that.

This version of Baldur's Gate and it's equal are the definitive versions. Bugs old and new have been destroyed, works perfectly on
    new computers (as someone who used to have to install multiple mods to run my disc based version that if one failed the process would have to be repeated from game install, and that's before windscreen mods - This has saved me endless hair tearing and screaming in my household.)

The new content is absolutely perfect, the extra equipment a godsend (club proficiency pays of now!) and I personally have to fight which of the new characters accompany me. The three of them are among the best characters in the game, character and proficiency wise and certainly make up for the other characters silence with the BG II level of dialogue.

IF you are a BG fan and can't be bothered getting those old disc out or sick of headbutting the wall after playing 20 hours to find a mod has messed up a crucial element and you have to reinstall the entire game then do yourself a favour and pick up this copy.

Anybody new to BG, this is most definitely the copy for you.
  83. Jan 16, 2013

1. Jun 10, 2013
    It’s not the flawless, refined version that the dedicated RPG veterans were waiting for, but even so, BG:EE remains a solid investment for Dungeon & Dragons romantics. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    Age may have formed a few cracks in its legendary skin, and perhaps the over reliance on randomness from the Dungeons and Dragons’ ruleset seems rather archaic, but within this slumbering ancient beast lies a mighty heart waiting to be awakened once more.
  3. Jan 26, 2013
    A solid re-release of a classic plus some nice new frills, but not without its problems.