7.5

1. Nov 18, 2013
    A pointless re-release with nothing of real value added. They've patched in some widescreen support and UI scaling, something that was available with free mods and the cheaper original version of the game. As far as I can tell they have only remastered character sprites so all other artwork is just rescaled and blurry in high resolutions as a result. No doubt it's a classic RPG but thisA pointless re-release with nothing of real value added. They've patched in some widescreen support and UI scaling, something that was available with free mods and the cheaper original version of the game. As far as I can tell they have only remastered character sprites so all other artwork is just rescaled and blurry in high resolutions as a result. No doubt it's a classic RPG but this version is simply lazy, a waste of money and an obvious cash grab design to capitalise on nostalgia and a resurgence of the genre. If not having to spend 30 seconds googling "baldur's gate II widescreen mod" is worth $25 to you then knock yourself out. Expand
  2. Nov 16, 2013
    Dont get me wrong.. Baldurs Gate 2 is among if not the BEST RPG EVER MADE

However.. the enchantment part is lacking allot. Not at much bugs as in BG:EE but still a few... new characters are still annoying and most of the old content blow the new away by far... The new character Hexxat starts off as a good companion but gets quickly changed into a bland generic lesbian character
    Dont get me wrong.. Baldurs Gate 2 is among if not the BEST RPG EVER MADE

However.. the enchantment part is lacking allot.

The new character Hexxat starts off as a good companion but gets quickly changed into a bland generic lesbian character that locks out all the male characters playing.. so everyone playing a Male char gets locked out of any extra romances in the new game.

If you really love BG2... you most likely have a modded version thats better.. and there are allot of free content to download thats better with some work

And for this price its better to a bundle copy from GOG
  3. Nov 19, 2013
    This game was initially release in 2000. That's 13 years ago! Although this game was a beautiful RPG for its time, this time is past. I am sure it would be nice if we were all still running Windows XP, but its over. These kind of games should be commemorated in a hall of fame, not re-sold at an inflated price.
    The game does not stand up to current graphics or gameplay, although it is a
    The game does not stand up to current graphics or gameplay, although it is a classic when it comes to PC-RPGs.
  4. Apr 4, 2016
    game is **** don't buy it unless you like giving games with **** gameplay **** story and ****ty Gamergate jokes as well as a Transginger character for no **** reason at all other then for the developers to wack each other raw while moaning about how progressive and accepting they are.
  5. Jun 26, 2016
    Game is less stable than the GoG version. Not worth it over that. Also do not support SJW nonsense by buying this version. This was nothing more than a cash grab by some morons that want to push their social agenda on everyone else. I think they should be sued for this by the IP owners because it spits on the original great work in every conceivable way.
  6. Jun 28, 2016
    They **** up with the v2 of this "enhanced" edition so badly. The users interface is either to flippin small that it's impossible to play or when you chose to scale the size it becomes so blurry and pixelated it just hurts to watch, way way behind the original BG2 interface. Even the previous enhanced edition version was okay, but this idiots manage to make it worst. Also problems with theThey **** up with the v2 of this "enhanced" edition so badly. The users interface is either to flippin small that it's impossible to play or when you chose to scale the size it becomes so blurry and pixelated it just hurts to watch, way way behind the original BG2 interface. Even the previous enhanced edition version was okay, but this idiots manage to make it worst. Also problems with the cursor, templates above the heads are no longer lovely animated, instead it is plain, blurry, peace of texture. Stores display are now unimaginably ugly, clean and non-atmospheric. Enemies respawn randomly again. Beamdog please start making your own games instead of destroying classics, which was good in the first place, with a few mods original BG is still so much better than you will ever create. Expand
  7. Dec 23, 2013
    When they first started on re-creating this classic game I had expected more. This is hardly different from the community modded version I already had so I am actually wondering what they actually did themselves.
  8. Sep 1, 2014
    The original Baldurs Gate 2 is considered by many to be the best RPG of all time. Enhanced Edition is a half arsed, repackaged, joke of an "update".

The new content is trash. This is low grade, modteam level stuff and not the good kind. Other than obviously having a proper audio studio, the voice acting is even comically bad. The writing on the new characters and the Black Pits 2 is just a joke. The combat of the Black Pits 2 is effortless. Effortless in that they basically put old mobs in the arena, changed the names, and said "hmm just make them immune to everything, figure out a way to hack the engine so that this creature is not even effected by things that are not actually possible in the games rules, make that creature ignore AC/Saves/resistances, this creature just add a couple 0's to the HP number, and this other one lets just triple its damage and add instant kill abilities, oh and forget about QA its not important". The Black Pits is actually really great in concept, and I wish Beamdog had been competent enough to execute it with even a modicum of quality. It should also be noted that as of this writing, there is a pretty good chance that if you try to import your party from the EE of Baldurs Gate 1's Black Pits, it will probably crash the game and corrupt the file. That right there is a good idea of the quality of the new content.

They created a pittance of new content, and then didnt even QA it enough to make it functional. The only redeemable bit of it has one of its best features (start a party in BG1 EE Black Pits, play through the BG2 EE Black Pits with the same party much like the original vanilla games) is about 50/50 on whether or not it will eat your party when you import. Make a backup before you even try.

The biggest problem overall is that QA is non existent. Over the years fans have patched and improved these games to an impeccable state (these as in BG1, BG2, IWD and so on). Beamdog basically threw all that out and just scaled up the art, and dorked around with the source code enough to break everything. The game crashes and soft locks in the most exciting and unexpected ways. Its amazing that a game with access to millions of dollars and professional game developers can utterly ruin something that a bunch of fans made perfect for free. The entire EE re-release series is so buggy that its widely considered to be a practical joke, or possibly some sort of social experiment. Its easy to see why if it wasnt for the fact that money was spent, and is charged, for this game.

Baludurs Gate 1 and 2 are masterpieces. Undisputed examples of "video games as art". Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 Enhanced edition are terrible, half arsed "updates" to games that were already perfected both technically and content wise long ago. If you want to play these games for the first time or want digital copies, then just buy the pack avaialble with the original versions of all the Infiinte Engine games that has been avaialble for years and install the latest community updates and enjoy yourself. Do not give Beamdog reward for trash, because the greatest danger is that they have said they wish to make Baldurs Gate 3 someday, if they make enough money on these re-releases.

That would be a travesty, and if you contribute to that then I hate you. And yes, I hate myself, because I have these stains in my Steam list too :(
  9. Mar 4, 2015
    I don't know about this being enhanced but this game is an eyesore. I know they say this game is a classic etc but just look at the graphics. The surroundings are ok but the characters.. Man.. they are pixelated like we are playing in an HD monitor and the characters are like from the 80's. If you can play with your characters looking blocky then I think your fine. But if you are like meI don't know about this being enhanced but this game is an eyesore. I know they say this game is a classic etc but just look at the graphics. The surroundings are ok but the characters.. Man.. they are pixelated like we are playing in an HD monitor and the characters are like from the 80's. If you can play with your characters looking blocky then I think your fine. But if you are like me No WAY! just painful to watch . Just 30 mins into the game then I said I've had it! goodbye. I'll never buy a game like that again! Expand
  10. Dec 17, 2013
    Baldur's Gate II is one of the best games ever. That said the enhanced edition brings very little to the table for those who already have the original. It might be good for someone who is new to the series and doesn't want to fiddle with mods but for everyone else the "Enhancements" are not worth a second copy of the game. My personal BG2 install has at least 8 new recruitable charactersBaldur's Gate II is one of the best games ever. That said the enhanced edition brings very little to the table for those who already have the original. It might be good for someone who is new to the series and doesn't want to fiddle with mods but for everyone else the "Enhancements" are not worth a second copy of the game. My personal BG2 install has at least 8 new recruitable characters ranging from vampires to drow to he-who-cannot-be-named-without-spoiling-the-story. It also has widescreen, MUCH better spell graphics and is only unstable when over 100 drow are on screen. In conclusion this is a good entry point to the series but not worth buying if you have the original. Expand
  11. Jan 13, 2014
    I see a lot of people complaining about the game being overpriced and they are correct but for the wrong reasons. The game is overpriced because they are charging mostly for features that have been provided by the community for free for a decade now.. Spend 10 minutes on google and save your money.
  12. Mar 14, 2014
    The original is superb, but this re-release does little to expand or improve.

The good news is the graphics are slightly improved. Better inventory screens and paper dolls, and you can zoom in/out more. There's also widescreen support. Some new content, 4 NPCs come included with the PC version. The bad news: The game itself is buggy, and the new content is simply not worth the
    The original is superb, but this re-release does little to expand or improve.

The bad news: The game itself is buggy, and the new content is simply not worth the price. This is a $25 game, and is not worth that value. I found the game crashing periodically, which simply did not happen with the original.

An example of the rather slipshod work, the import/export characters option is broken, every time I import my character, the game re-calculates the bonuses each character gets due to strength, dexterity, etc. So if my character should start with +2 to hit, becomes +4 if I import it since the game re-does the calculations. It becomes +8 if for some reason I need to import her again! Unlike the original game, the Enhanced edition does not allow you to "Pre-Generate" characters and import them, I suspect that they knew that importing a character into an existing game was broken..

The new NPCs are pretty atrocious and the dialogue that my character has been given sounds like a comedy routine. When I was chatting with Hexxat, my character was given dialogue option A) "I"ll help you without question" or option B) "Some jerky 3-line comeback that was out of place in this game" or option C) "Too bad for you. Goodbye". Pathetic choices. And the voice acting was amateurish for most of the new characters.

Go get the GOG.com version, take some time to mod it if you want (you would have to do this anyway to the Exhanced version if you wanted tougher enemies or more challenge), and enjoy the game at a much lower price. The GOG version is often on sale too, for 50-75% off, you can't go wrong! And the original version is compatible with more mods, and with more custom portraits, that the enhanced is not able to use.
  13. Jan 12, 2014
    I love Baldur's Gate, but the enhanced edition is much worse than the original. Multiplayer is super buggy, lots of crashing (chapter transitions don't work in multiplayer, cutscenes crash, etc), major story events can get screwed up (certain characters may not leave the party when they're supposed to), the added Black Pits II was released in a state where they openly said on their forumsI love Baldur's Gate, but the enhanced edition is much worse than the original. Multiplayer is super buggy, lots of crashing (chapter transitions don't work in multiplayer, cutscenes crash, etc), major story events can get screwed up (certain characters may not leave the party when they're supposed to), the added Black Pits II was released in a state where they openly said on their forums that it's unstable in multiplayer and you shouldn't play it. Certain spells that worked fine in the original are completely broken (Harper's Call doesn't work at all). They don't seem to be too concerned about fixing it either as there haven't been any patches in about 2 months. It's rather embarrassing. I've had way more issues on this brand new updated version than I ever had playing the original. Just get it the old one from gog and add some mods. Expand
  14. Feb 28, 2015
    Simple the game mechanics are the worst ever, spells that can go through walls or do a 90 degree turn, dual classing from either thief or to thief has back stab severely broken and no patch to fix all the bugs by overhaul, best to by the game from black isle, it's cheaper and works right with limited patching, gave the original 90/100 give this piece of garbage 1/100
  15. Dec 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Baldur's Gate II: Enchanced Edition? I prefer to call it Baldur's Gate II: Bug Enchanced Edition. You know why? I used to play BG2 original version many years ago without any stupid game breaking bug that prevent me from further playing the game. I can say is NONE. In fact, the original game is truly a gem.

At first when i heard about enhanced edition of bg2 i really looking forward to it. So i decided to give it a try. After 226 days in the game, i encounter a game breaking bug in Spellhold quest. Overhaul Games proudly introduced a new level of RPG gaming experience by forcing the player enter an eternal quest loop. Further more, overhaul Games decided to add another enjoyable special feature into the game: random CTD (crash to desktop) quest. This quest is a new quest where the game stop for god sake and the player will have to take a rest for good. Thank you Overhaul Games. During chapter 4, i'm so excited when i finally get my hand on the new slayer ability(protagonist turn into a very powerful monster with +5 claw, 25 STR). After i use the ability to fight the monster and rest.... and guest what? The slayer ability button just disappeared. WOW!! This is the worst gaming experience i've ever seen. Overhaul Games did a fantastic job by modifying a masterpiece and turn it into a rubbish. All hail to Overhaul Games!!

Lets talk about the new features they introduce in the game? 4 additional party member? Are you kidding me? the original game already got so many party member available.

This Baldur's Gate II: Bug Enhanced Edition proudly presented by BugOverhaul Games studio is a POS that any sane people would avoid it at all cost.

1. Feb 14, 2014
    It's a great chance for all the fans out there to relive history of western RPG. Enhanced graphics and interface make this a great remaster of an immortal classic.
  2. Feb 3, 2014
    There’s no doubt that Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition is a product of its time, but there’s also no doubt that it’s an absolute classic of the RPG genre.
  3. PC Gamer
    Jan 31, 2014
    Doesn't do enough to be the uncontested definitive version, but provides a fresh perspective on an exceptional RPG. [March 2014, p.72]