7.4

1. May 28, 2017
    Basically too long... Even for classic rpg, 60 hours of gameplay might scare some people off, me for instance. Much improved from the first part, more characters, deeper relationships, detailed areas and the most important - highlighting items capability.

As for dlc, Throne of Baal: The whole story is very interesting and immersive but lack of any rest from boss fights makes this dlc

As for dlc, Throne of Baal:
    The whole story is very interesting and immersive but lack of any rest from boss fights makes this dlc tiring. Too many hard areas that require you to focus all the time, I wanted to play dlc for Shadows of Amn, not a game for hardcore crpg gamers (that I considered myself to be till now). Beside that, it's very decent piece of old style game.
  2. Feb 3, 2017
    Political agendas and classic RPGs do not mix. I do not accept these attempts at indoctrinating me while I am playing games, so zero it is. Beamdog are laughable amateurs.
  3. Dec 3, 2016
    I would give the original game from 2003 when I played it 10/10

This enhanced edition is worthless. The new NPC is a Lesbian Feminist Vampire Thief. Seriously after all this time and out of all the possibilities in the D&D setting this was the best Beamdog could come up with? The ironic thing is there is a Secret NPC called Wilson, a Giant Bear, who is actually fun and the sort of
    I would give the original game from 2003 when I played it 10/10

The ironic thing is there is a Secret NPC called Wilson, a Giant Bear, who is actually fun and the sort of addition I would look for in an enhanced version of the game, but his inclusion is a "secret" and its not so easy to get him.

Overall a very average game, however additional points must be deducted as the lack of professionalism by the "community manager" is unforgivable. Banning people on their official forum over the years for no good reason, spreading lies as to why people were banned, insulting fans of an established IP because they criticize a game which is average at best is not acceptable
  4. Sep 2, 2016
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
  5. Jun 26, 2016
    Game is less stable than the GoG version. Not worth it over that. Also do not support SJW nonsense by buying this version. This was nothing more than a cash grab by some morons that want to push their social agenda on everyone else. I think they should be sued for this by the IP owners because it spits on the original great work in every conceivable way.
  6. Apr 17, 2016
    Simply one if not the best RPG out there. The EE version fixes hundreds of bugs, optimizes the game for modern PCs and even adds new quests, locations and companions to the already existing hundreds of hours of gameplay including the original expansion Throne of Bhaal.

Additionally the included arena campaign "Black Pits 2" that can be played apart from BG2EE offers a challenge for newbies and veterans alike due to improved AI.

Not all of the old MODs are fully supported yet, but that is surely only a matter of time. More important would be that the code of Infinity Engine itself has become much smother and therefore more modable.

Simply put: You get a huge amount of excellent content for a more than fair price.
  7. Apr 4, 2016
    Planescape torment is always high on a lot of rpg lists, but i remember playing the original BGII Shadows of Amn and was blown away by the sheer amount of gameplay this had. So many areas to visit, tons of quest, characters and npcs to interact with. The areas with all the background noises and npcs really come to life, giving the whole world an immersive feeling. After playing for weeks iPlanescape torment is always high on a lot of rpg lists, but i remember playing the original BGII Shadows of Amn and was blown away by the sheer amount of gameplay this had. So many areas to visit, tons of quest, characters and npcs to interact with. The areas with all the background noises and npcs really come to life, giving the whole world an immersive feeling. After playing for weeks i kept thinking surely this game cant have more? it did. I honestly spent weeks playing it, loved it and playing the enhanced editions has brought back all those memories. Im still finding little subquests and dialogue choices that i never made before that send you on more subquests. It is no doubt one of the best rpgs out there, and beamdog have done a great job enhancing this. Expand
  8. Apr 4, 2016
    game is **** don't buy it unless you like giving games with **** gameplay **** story and ****ty Gamergate jokes as well as a Transginger character for no **** reason at all other then for the developers to wack each other raw while moaning about how progressive and accepting they are.
  9. Oct 25, 2015
    If you can get past the abysmal ("enhanced") graphics and total lack of community-supported, verifiable modifications, then it is an enjoyable game. The combat (in light of the visuals) can look like a cluster of various, indistinct colors interacting in strange ways...with games like Pillars of Eternity out, it is hard to justify for me a prolonged investment of time.
  10. Mar 31, 2015
    With this version you can enjoy both Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal without having to mod everything yourself. For me beamdog's releases are a great way to experience the classics today without any technological issues.
  11. Mar 23, 2015
    anything below 10 is a blasphemy !
    for ~20$ here comes the (probably) best crpg ever made, with dozens hours of gameplay and remarkable replayability in version running smooth and pretty on new desktops.
    no searching on forums, no windows problems, no modding - just install, grab the latest patch and play. and yeah, i got original bg2 as well, unfortunately it looks and feels
    anything below 10 is a blasphemy !

and yeah, i got original bg2 as well, unfortunately it looks and feels unplayable on my 27'' high res screen.
    so thank you beamdog, best spent 20$ ever.
  12. Mar 4, 2015
    I don't know about this being enhanced but this game is an eyesore. I know they say this game is a classic etc but just look at the graphics. The surroundings are ok but the characters.. Man.. they are pixelated like we are playing in an HD monitor and the characters are like from the 80's. If you can play with your characters looking blocky then I think your fine. But if you are like meI don't know about this being enhanced but this game is an eyesore. I know they say this game is a classic etc but just look at the graphics. The surroundings are ok but the characters.. Man.. they are pixelated like we are playing in an HD monitor and the characters are like from the 80's. If you can play with your characters looking blocky then I think your fine. But if you are like me No WAY! just painful to watch . Just 30 mins into the game then I said I've had it! goodbye. I'll never buy a game like that again! Expand
  13. Feb 28, 2015
    Simple the game mechanics are the worst ever, spells that can go through walls or do a 90 degree turn, dual classing from either thief or to thief has back stab severely broken and no patch to fix all the bugs by overhaul, best to by the game from black isle, it's cheaper and works right with limited patching, gave the original 90/100 give this piece of garbage 1/100
  14. Jan 30, 2015
    Amazing game, you will not regret buying. Anyone considering this should buy because it is a worthy investment both for your money and for your time spent as a gamer on this top quality product/company.
  15. Jan 11, 2015
    Nice upgrade and well worth the price. The addition of improved pathfinding, zoom function, widescreen and some new characters + many hundreds of bugs fixed is very welcome.

While mods already does fix some of these issues it's nice to have it all in one package and not having to read up on what works with which mod, google for updates to mods etc. This is usually some hours of work when you install the game after a few years (i tend to install BG1-2 maye 4-5 years apart). Also mods have a tendency to be abandoned (with bugs and whatnot), Beamdog shows that they are willing to continue to support the game.

The new characters are really great btw, they blend in very well. Neera is wonderful and charming, love her voice!

Don't listen to the haters. These are just a small, but very loud, bunch of people who havent done nothing except for playing BG1-2 and maybe Fallout for the last 15 years, still living at home in their parents basement. A rather miserable crowd for sure. This is their Qu ran, no one is allowed to change it except themselves, and god / Allah forbid someone else is doing money on it - oh the horror!
  16. Dec 1, 2014
    Fel, ta vänligst bort denna!..........................................................................................................................
  17. Dec 1, 2014
    Following my disappointment with Inquisition, I installed BG2 on my PC last week and since then, I have been playing in every free minute. It's my third playthrough (after the first in 2000, my second in 2005 and the present one). So, since my last playthrough 9 years have passed and during that time, I have played tons of other RPGs (e.g. Dragonage, ME, Divinity, Drakensang, Witcher -Following my disappointment with Inquisition, I installed BG2 on my PC last week and since then, I have been playing in every free minute. It's my third playthrough (after the first in 2000, my second in 2005 and the present one). So, since my last playthrough 9 years have passed and during that time, I have played tons of other RPGs (e.g. Dragonage, ME, Divinity, Drakensang, Witcher - just to name a few). And what do I realize in this very moment? Well, I expected that after all these "modern RPGs", playing BG2 would be impossible (old graphics, static world, etc.), but JESUS CHRIST, how **** mistaken I have been!
    It's unbelievable, but BG2 is still a gem, even if you compare it to the newest games. In fact, it is a timeless piece of art. I simply love the graphics (the settings are so detailed and beautiful - almost as paintings that are great enough to be put on a wall...).
    Then, the NPCs are simply amazing: Minsc and his hamster - I do not remember a character as cool and funny in any of the following RPGs ("Go for the eyes, Boo"). And Aerie and Jaheira in the same group: when they fight for your attention and love, be prepared for one of the best written and most realistic dialogues in gaming history. Oh an Edwin, the most arrogant sorcerer ever - take him for an evil playthrough, it is SO well done.
    Besides well written NPCs and beatiful graphics, BG2 has an amazing game play and challenging fights. Gosh, the selection of arcane and divine spells is AMAZING - you basically have thousands of ways of shaping your mages and priests in a way you like it. Sorry to say, but Inquisition is a joke compared to what BG2 offered for RPG-lovers...
    Finally, BG2 has a great story. OK, I admit, it's no too original story, but it is still exciting and epic - and more importantly: the dialogues and all the writing is superb. Moreover, you play a huge part in this story and - more, more, more importantly - most of your quests somehow relate to the main story or add interesting side stories. It's really a complete difference to today's RPGs (e.g. Inquisition) where you have to kill 10 bears to complete a quest. In BG2 such quests do not exist - REALLY!!! I also didn't believe it at first, but now that I play it again, I value this old tradition of quest writing - how could game writing degrade so much over the past years??? It's unbelivable that a game from 2000 has set the standards in story- and dialogue-writing that almost all following games fail to meet (there are a few notable exceptions like ME1). Isn't this unbelievable?
    Anyway, I am going back to playing BG2 now :-) Cheers and praise to the old infinity enginge games, guys!
  18. Sep 2, 2014
    Insanely fun and with support for a good amount of systems its hard to go wrong. The new characters also have nicely fleshed out stories. For 25 bucks with the dlc and 19+ hours of game play i say its worth it.
  19. Sep 1, 2014
    The original Baldurs Gate 2 is considered by many to be the best RPG of all time. Enhanced Edition is a half arsed, repackaged, joke of an "update".

The new content is trash. This is low grade, modteam level stuff and not the good kind. Other than obviously having a proper audio studio, the voice acting is even comically bad. The writing on the new characters and the Black Pits 2 is just a joke. The combat of the Black Pits 2 is effortless. Effortless in that they basically put old mobs in the arena, changed the names, and said "hmm just make them immune to everything, figure out a way to hack the engine so that this creature is not even effected by things that are not actually possible in the games rules, make that creature ignore AC/Saves/resistances, this creature just add a couple 0's to the HP number, and this other one lets just triple its damage and add instant kill abilities, oh and forget about QA its not important". The Black Pits is actually really great in concept, and I wish Beamdog had been competent enough to execute it with even a modicum of quality. It should also be noted that as of this writing, there is a pretty good chance that if you try to import your party from the EE of Baldurs Gate 1's Black Pits, it will probably crash the game and corrupt the file. That right there is a good idea of the quality of the new content.

They created a pittance of new content, and then didnt even QA it enough to make it functional. The only redeemable bit of it has one of its best features (start a party in BG1 EE Black Pits, play through the BG2 EE Black Pits with the same party much like the original vanilla games) is about 50/50 on whether or not it will eat your party when you import. Make a backup before you even try.

The biggest problem overall is that QA is non existent. Over the years fans have patched and improved these games to an impeccable state (these as in BG1, BG2, IWD and so on). Beamdog basically threw all that out and just scaled up the art, and dorked around with the source code enough to break everything. The game crashes and soft locks in the most exciting and unexpected ways. Its amazing that a game with access to millions of dollars and professional game developers can utterly ruin something that a bunch of fans made perfect for free. The entire EE re-release series is so buggy that its widely considered to be a practical joke, or possibly some sort of social experiment. Its easy to see why if it wasnt for the fact that money was spent, and is charged, for this game.

Baludurs Gate 1 and 2 are masterpieces. Undisputed examples of "video games as art". Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 Enhanced edition are terrible, half arsed "updates" to games that were already perfected both technically and content wise long ago. If you want to play these games for the first time or want digital copies, then just buy the pack avaialble with the original versions of all the Infiinte Engine games that has been avaialble for years and install the latest community updates and enjoy yourself. Do not give Beamdog reward for trash, because the greatest danger is that they have said they wish to make Baldurs Gate 3 someday, if they make enough money on these re-releases.

That would be a travesty, and if you contribute to that then I hate you. And yes, I hate myself, because I have these stains in my Steam list too :(
  20. Aug 31, 2014
    Baldur's Gate II is the best RPG ever made. Overhaul's idea -- take a classic game, update the engine and add some content is brilliant. After all, the era of yearly computer upgrades is over and only a small set of self-described gamers buy machines solely to play games. Why not add content to a game that can run on an email and web browsing machine? Again, brilliant, right?Baldur's Gate II is the best RPG ever made. Overhaul's idea -- take a classic game, update the engine and add some content is brilliant. After all, the era of yearly computer upgrades is over and only a small set of self-described gamers buy machines solely to play games. Why not add content to a game that can run on an email and web browsing machine? Again, brilliant, right? Unfortunately, the idea is better than the execution.

The good --

The developers have added a nifty zoom function that allows the game to played on high resolution screens. They also added a feature they call a 'quick loot bar' that makes some of the game's mundane tasks go by quickly. After ironing out some troublesome bugs the game now runs better than ever.

The bad --

The new content just isn't as good as the original and the developers have taken a heavy hand in quashing criticism. The new NPC 'Hexxat', a vampire thief and lesbian love interest, was panned by all but the hardcore defenders of the company -- but you won't find these negative reviews on the official forums; the critical threads have been deleted or locked and the critics have been banned. I quickly became bored with Hexxat and never finished her storyline. Another NPC character 'Dorn', an evil blackguard, was put in to please those who disliked the heroic narrative of the original game. If your idea of fun is playing a protagonist that slaughters innocents at a wedding party then this NPC is for you -- he didn't do anything for me.

In brief, good idea and poor execution. If you liked the original game and would like to play it again I would recommend buying it. If, however, you were hoping for a game with lots of new content you will be disappointed.

Also note -- the developers have asked the hardcore fans to post positive reviews on this site. I would read the mixed reviews before reading the 10 / 10 and 0 /10 reviews.
  21. bml
    Aug 30, 2014
    The original Baldur's Gate II was perhaps the single best game ever created amongst all genres. Beamdog took it, spruced it up with modern graphics, and added several quality new features.

I checked Metacritic before buying it and was hesitant seeing a user score in the 7's, but then I noticed it had been dragged down by multiple troll 0 reviews. This remake was absolutely worth every penny of my money.
  22. Aug 30, 2014
    Without a doubt the definitive version. No headaches with installing,. bugs are getting squashed all the time , works magnificently on any of my computers(whereas my disc based version requires me to set aside a day to install, mod then test usually with a reinstall or two when things go sour.)

The extra characters and content are great and could easily have been regular content on original release and fixes my original issue of feeling that the character choices were a bit limited. Included are 4 extra characters, 2 evil, 1 good and 1 neutral which is a great inclusion in the good heavy characters of the game.

If you are sitting with the modded BG II thinking this is pointless then I would think again. Multilayer support for instance. Being able to actually find a game without the ancient TCP settings etc, the headache of a reinstall, I've had computers corrupt and the worst part of it all was losing BG, BG II and Icewind Dales because I knew the amount of effort I would have to put in to reinstall them and thirdly the added content that doesn't feel like mod level of cheese adding in hundreds of uber weapons and fan made characters with terribly writing. The new content feels like it belongs very neatly and the characters are awesome.

For those new to BG II, without a doubt this is your copy.
  23. Aug 30, 2014
    Beamdog has done it again: the thunder has been captured, enhanced, and rereleased into the world once more. With added content, added functionality and once again fewer bugs, Beamdog has taken the work out of using an old game and given it some sprucing up. I find it well worth the investment to avoid being forced to mod in the basic functionality I would require just to run the game,Beamdog has done it again: the thunder has been captured, enhanced, and rereleased into the world once more. With added content, added functionality and once again fewer bugs, Beamdog has taken the work out of using an old game and given it some sprucing up. I find it well worth the investment to avoid being forced to mod in the basic functionality I would require just to run the game, and the new NPCs have added fun elements to my game (thumbs up for Hexxat). The fixes that impress me most are the ones I never have to notice, because they have quietly taken care of them behind the scenes. I look forward to future DLCs and enhanced editions of other titles. Expand
  24. Jul 30, 2014
    Awesome rpg. One that requires 100+ hours. Love the changes, graphics everything looks great. This is one of the first true western open rpg. Ive played about 70 hours and still do not want to stop anytime soon. The game is deep as hell. The magic system is one of the best ive ever played, with some of the coolest spells ive ever come across. Get this bad boy as soon as you can.Awesome rpg. One that requires 100+ hours. Love the changes, graphics everything looks great. This is one of the first true western open rpg. Ive played about 70 hours and still do not want to stop anytime soon. The game is deep as hell. The magic system is one of the best ive ever played, with some of the coolest spells ive ever come across. Get this bad boy as soon as you can. Patience is required though, this is not a Diablo type hack and slash, its an extremely rich strategy game that rewards ideas just as much as weapons and speed. Expand
  25. Jul 26, 2014
    This game is true classic RPG. So ahead of it's time(2000) and a 'must have' for anyone who hasn't played it who enjoys RPG's. The Enhanced Edition has patched the game to near perfection and the enhanced graphics are just icing on the cake. Regular price at Steam is 19.99 and still a bargain for many hours of enjoyment.
  26. Jul 21, 2014
    I have limited time to play, so i don't want to spend it with searching for mods and fixes. Beamdog gives me new contents and bugfixes. And now there is support for tablets. The new contents are good quality, they fits in the original. Developers working on it still, and it gets better with every patch.
  27. Jun 28, 2014
    Kids now a days are so lucky to be able to play this gem! Literally one of the best RPGs ever made.

Their is Fallout series and then Baldur's Gate... we'll now we have that great RPG series with a TON of updates.. Classes that weren't even available till later games.

If only the models were redone or had an option to make them better would have been cool.
  28. Jun 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game has only had 1 small patch in the last 7 months (and that patch came shortly after release). Basically they've been forgoing patching in favour of getting both BGEE and BG2EE on Android. I would recommend you instead buy BG2 from GoG (or anywhere that sells the original game) and use the BG2 fixpack on it. It will solve all of the major and the vast majority of the minor bugs in the original BG2 and you won't get the multitude of bugs (which can include everything from your weapon proficiencies getting wiped clean to not having access to your slayer form for more than one use, to your character getting stuck on the screen from a dragon's wing buffet) you get with the "enhanced" edition.

The new characters they introduce are decent but nothing that is resoundingly different from the many mods already available for the game (a number of which aren't available with the "enhanced" edition). Also most of the new characters quest lines are bugged (and have been obviously for the last 7 months).

Overall I would buy the game from GoG (or anywhere that sells the original game) for less than half the price of this release. Not only will you save money but between the fixpacks and all the available mods for BG2 you'll get far better value for your money.
  29. Mar 14, 2014
    The original is superb, but this re-release does little to expand or improve.

The good news is the graphics are slightly improved. Better inventory screens and paper dolls, and you can zoom in/out more. There's also widescreen support. Some new content, 4 NPCs come included with the PC version. The bad news: The game itself is buggy, and the new content is simply not worth the
    The original is superb, but this re-release does little to expand or improve.

The bad news: The game itself is buggy, and the new content is simply not worth the price. This is a $25 game, and is not worth that value. I found the game crashing periodically, which simply did not happen with the original.

An example of the rather slipshod work, the import/export characters option is broken, every time I import my character, the game re-calculates the bonuses each character gets due to strength, dexterity, etc. So if my character should start with +2 to hit, becomes +4 if I import it since the game re-does the calculations. It becomes +8 if for some reason I need to import her again! Unlike the original game, the Enhanced edition does not allow you to "Pre-Generate" characters and import them, I suspect that they knew that importing a character into an existing game was broken..

The new NPCs are pretty atrocious and the dialogue that my character has been given sounds like a comedy routine. When I was chatting with Hexxat, my character was given dialogue option A) "I"ll help you without question" or option B) "Some jerky 3-line comeback that was out of place in this game" or option C) "Too bad for you. Goodbye". Pathetic choices. And the voice acting was amateurish for most of the new characters.

Go get the GOG.com version, take some time to mod it if you want (you would have to do this anyway to the Exhanced version if you wanted tougher enemies or more challenge), and enjoy the game at a much lower price. The GOG version is often on sale too, for 50-75% off, you can't go wrong! And the original version is compatible with more mods, and with more custom portraits, that the enhanced is not able to use.
  30. Feb 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awesome! The enhanced Edition for BG 1 and 2 and TOB. Nice job. Bringing out the best RPG ever, makes me feel a little boy again who spending to many hours behind my pc.
    I took me 12 years to finish BG II. Kinda sad huh... Lost save games, had to start all over again, computer crash, lost save games, hd to start all over again. Finally I made it. The only thing that's on the list is to finish TOB and then I can live happily further. Conclusion: No matter how long it takes, the game is worth the play.

1. Feb 14, 2014
    It's a great chance for all the fans out there to relive history of western RPG. Enhanced graphics and interface make this a great remaster of an immortal classic.
  2. Feb 3, 2014
    There’s no doubt that Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition is a product of its time, but there’s also no doubt that it’s an absolute classic of the RPG genre.
  3. PC Gamer
    Jan 31, 2014
    Doesn't do enough to be the uncontested definitive version, but provides a fresh perspective on an exceptional RPG. [March 2014, p.72]