Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn PC

9.2

1. PhilipD.
    Oct 17, 2008
    Oh. I really am annoyed about this. I bought it with intentions of getting sucked into the game like money into a vacuum cleaner but it just didn't work. Time and time again I have come back to this game, spending hours playing it and trying to get into the story. I can see why people like this game so much- once you get past the shell of this game I'm sure there are emotional Oh. I really am annoyed about this. I bought it with intentions of getting sucked into the game like money into a vacuum cleaner but it just didn't work. Time and time again I have come back to this game, spending hours playing it and trying to get into the story. I can see why people like this game so much- once you get past the shell of this game I'm sure there are emotional plot twists, epic fights and pants of +3 healing... but what a shell to crack. I mean, I keep playing this game, sitting down for several hours, failing at enjoying it then going off for a stab at Oblivion or Deus Ex instead. Don't get me wrong- I do try. I spent £20 on this game, after all. I have a horribly powerful urge to play this game every couple of months (much as I do with the Sims) but once it's loaded up, I look at its pixelated graphics and sheer... dullness and give in. I'm going to say LOOK OUT. If you don't mind spending a whole day or so getting into it I'm sure there's a fantastic game underneath. However, if you're anything like me you'd be better off with a game which pays off sooner. A game like Baldurs Gate is missing from my life but at the end of the day, it isn't meant to be. Great music, though. Expand
  2. Oct 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am unsure why this game gets so much acclaim. This gate is the worst elements of a home brew table top game with a sadistic GM tossed into on massive punishing Video game. Flaws I found with the game:

1) If you are continuing from Balder's Gate All your gear is taken and any acts taken there are irreverent in BG2. I.E. Characters that where dead can be alive and living characters can be suddenly dead.

2) Dreaded Cut scenes that can whisk away party members without you being able to put up a fight, or place your party in disadvantageous positions at the start of a major combat.

3) The story becomes increasingly convoluted including some of the most annoying RPG video game tropes such as being captured without a fight multiple times, bosses escaping when defeated multiple times, Super mages at every turn, Constant reminders that you must hurry yet few things in any are time sensitive, random punishment from social guardians, death of the main character mean you lose even in a world that has resurrection, Character interaction quests and dialogs show up randomly if at all, and ambiguous alignment changes. All of this serves to destroy any emersion in the game world.

4) Not being able to finish side and romance quests if you complete the main story line.

5) Weapon proficiency system that has so many categories that if selected wrong can discourage you from using some of the best weapons in the game.

6) A terrible story line that has material that was dated even from when this game was released back in the day.

If you are intent on playing this game save yourself some agony, go online and find a walk through or strategy guide so you know what quests will lead you where so you can to everything you want in a way that won't drive you nuts. Also installing some community mods helps with some of the issues, but all in all it is a mess of a game.

There are some mechanics changes that were good such as ammo stacking to 40 items a slot, and bags of holding, potion pouches, scroll cases, and other such items to keep your inventory clean. But none of these make up for the punishing slog that is BG2. Honestly save yourself some time and play something else.
  3. WillD.
    Dec 29, 2001
    Quite easily, the worst game ever.
  4. Theonewithpants
    Dec 9, 2002
    Argh, i really couldn't get into this game. bad visuals, bad sound, voice acting very bad, side quests suck the fat one, overall overhyped.
  5. AlexM
    Oct 2, 2009
    Simply awful game compare to Neverwinter Nights , TES Morrowind , Diablo , Diablo 2 and other brilliants of RPG gengre.

1. Antagonist
    I'd like my life back, Black Isle.
  2. For the first time in a single player game, I truly felt I was playing my way through a pen and paper fantasy campaign.
  3. GamePower
    It's not just vast, but flooded with quests and side adventures. There is always something to do in this game and, after that, there's always something more.