9.3

1. Mar 14, 2011
    Quite possibly the best game ever made! A deep, compelling experience. To say this is now an 11 year old game is astonishing, as nobody has managed to make a better game yet! The only other contender for best RPG would arguably be Planescape Torment, another amazing game but with a less "epic" story and more personal one. Baldur's Gate is a game that, if you can get past the (by todaysQuite possibly the best game ever made! A deep, compelling experience. To say this is now an 11 year old game is astonishing, as nobody has managed to make a better game yet! The only other contender for best RPG would arguably be Planescape Torment, another amazing game but with a less "epic" story and more personal one. Baldur's Gate is a game that, if you can get past the (by todays standards) steep learning curve, hard to use interface and unforgiving nature will become one of the best games you've ever played. Expand
  2. Aug 27, 2010
    The first time that two members of my party, NPCs, started bickering with each other, I knew I had something special. When one of the NPCs left the party after I told her to stop whining, my jaw dropped. Before Mass Effect, before any of the many other BioWare masterpieces, this game made NPCs interesting. For that I give them a 10/10. Also, the rest of the game was outstanding in almostThe first time that two members of my party, NPCs, started bickering with each other, I knew I had something special. When one of the NPCs left the party after I told her to stop whining, my jaw dropped. Before Mass Effect, before any of the many other BioWare masterpieces, this game made NPCs interesting. For that I give them a 10/10. Also, the rest of the game was outstanding in almost every way. "Minsc and Boo stand ready. Meep-eep-eep" Expand
  3. Feb 17, 2011
    One of the best games every made. Not many RPG's have gotten anywhere near this level. Great characters a good plot and an enormous amount of side quests.
  4. Aug 17, 2011
    10 for story. 10 for replayabilty. 10 for combat. 10 for characters. 10 for graphics at the time of release. 10 for entertainment. 10 for addictiveness. 10 for timelessness. 10 for the modding community. Nothing but nothing is in this game's league and I suspect people will be saying the same thing after another 10 years.
  5. May 24, 2011
    This is a timeless piece of art that is quite simply the alpha and the omega of RPGs. The graphics are still timeless, the backgrounds and environments look like oil paintings made by a master artist pouring his vision onto the canvas. The story is free of cliches and tired conventions, and is written like a book, while still being 100% fitting with the fantasy world that the game drawsThis is a timeless piece of art that is quite simply the alpha and the omega of RPGs. The graphics are still timeless, the backgrounds and environments look like oil paintings made by a master artist pouring his vision onto the canvas. The story is free of cliches and tired conventions, and is written like a book, while still being 100% fitting with the fantasy world that the game draws you into. You will get attached to some of the characters, you will go over your spellbook and want to try new combinations of the hundreds of spells with unique effects, and you'll be surprised by huge dungeons that lay behind secret doors in the sewers that most players will probably miss. This game has not been rivaled before or since, and nobody can call themselves an RPG fan without playing and loving this masterpiece. It will always have a special place in my heart. If you haven't played it, DO IT! Play it like an RPG and enjoy it, because these days, games don't come close. Expand
  6. Jul 31, 2011
    Simply beyond words as everything in this game was well-made. Every choice you make has a repercussion and the story never fails to tell. There are so many things to do in this game that it may overwhelm you when you first start but that is how adventures should feel right?
  7. Mar 15, 2012
    The best roleplaying game, and most likely even the best game of all time.

The immersion and replayability of this game is out of this world. If you have yet to try this game give it a chance, once you're through the preliminary trial and error, you'll understand why this game is loved by so many. -It's from an era where games were made with love and ambition, and not just to make as
    The best roleplaying game, and most likely even the best game of all time.

The immersion and replayability of this game is out of this world.

If you have yet to try this game give it a chance, once you're through the preliminary trial and error, you'll understand why this game is loved by so many. -It's from an era where games were made with love and ambition, and not just to make as much money as possible.
  8. Apr 10, 2011
    In short: the best game ever made. I played this when it was released and was amazed of all the detail, soul and love put into it.If you haven't played this then do it! It still feels as freshed as it was when it was released. I'm so sad BioWare has gone a totally different way and started making games such as Dragon Age II. I will quote another review:
    Often imitated, never duplicated: BGII.
  9. Mar 21, 2012
    A rating scale of 1 -10 is just totally inadequate when you consider this game. Perhaps the scale could be made logarithmic because this game is 10 times better than anything that I would give a 9 to. In depth, range, subtlety and complexity this game is still so far ahead of others it beggars belief. I could write 1500 words on just how good one aspect of this game is, never mind how goodA rating scale of 1 -10 is just totally inadequate when you consider this game. Perhaps the scale could be made logarithmic because this game is 10 times better than anything that I would give a 9 to. In depth, range, subtlety and complexity this game is still so far ahead of others it beggars belief. I could write 1500 words on just how good one aspect of this game is, never mind how good the whole thing is. The individual parts are perfect and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Just play it. As a mage. Then try a kensai. Then a swashbuckler. Then a cleric. Then a blade. Then a fighter/thief........This is the last word in RPGing. By a mile. Expand
  10. Mar 14, 2011
    This is my favourite game of all time. I fondly remember the story, the characters and the sense of exploration and wonder it evoked. It is full of rich depth because there is so much detail in the setting and the places you visit and so much choice in how you complete the game and what kind of character you play. The gameplay is also consistently excellent. Defeating the fatasticThis is my favourite game of all time. I fondly remember the story, the characters and the sense of exploration and wonder it evoked. It is full of rich depth because there is so much detail in the setting and the places you visit and so much choice in how you complete the game and what kind of character you play. The gameplay is also consistently excellent. Defeating the fatastic creatures, villains and monsters you face feels epic and massively rewarding and so do the many conversations you have and puzzles you solve. The music and artwork are fantastic. The graphics are dated by todays standards of course but I would still reccommend playing this to anyone with any interest in role playing games. 10/10 - the game to which future RPGs should aspire to be as good as. Expand
  11. Mar 25, 2011
    the best RPG ever created yet. Fantastic Story, Fantastic Gameplay, and by far the best thing that happened to RPG gaming yet! In fact the only reason why this game could be disliked is that it is so good that to some people it is incomprehensible.
  12. Mar 1, 2012
    I mark down almost every one of my favorite games. I am HUGELY against being a traditionalist who 'only likes' games of the 'golden era'. When a game ages, I don't give it a 10/10 simply because I loved it when i first played it. I rank it against everything that has come after. That said, this game truly does defy time. A thrilling and truly epic storyline that dances around many highlyI mark down almost every one of my favorite games. I am HUGELY against being a traditionalist who 'only likes' games of the 'golden era'. When a game ages, I don't give it a 10/10 simply because I loved it when i first played it. I rank it against everything that has come after. That said, this game truly does defy time. A thrilling and truly epic storyline that dances around many highly regarded stories since. This game is a gem. A true gem. When it comes to this game vs planescape torment - however. Things get tricky. As a game - BGII is the winner. As a creation - Planescape torment holds all the ambition. Both tell grand stories. They just have different strengths. Expand
  13. Apr 4, 2011
    The best game made ever. Dated at this point, it has the most poignant story and character interaction of any game. Dragon Age pales in comparison to this epic. The Icewind dale series is a close 2nd in this genre
  14. Oct 16, 2011
    The most epic RPG experience ever. I was young and didn't understand D&D rules, but I learned as I played. There's so much story in this game, it's like a 7 layer cake. The graphics are STUNNING. This is the power of pre-rendered graphics, there's no limit to poly count, though they must remain somewhat stationary. If this game was realtime 3D it would look like beetle dung. The firstThe most epic RPG experience ever. I was young and didn't understand D&D rules, but I learned as I played. There's so much story in this game, it's like a 7 layer cake. The graphics are STUNNING. This is the power of pre-rendered graphics, there's no limit to poly count, though they must remain somewhat stationary. If this game was realtime 3D it would look like beetle dung. The first western RPG I've played, and it's still the best. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc, are all crap compared to Baldur's Gate 2. Expand
  15. Oct 17, 2011
    If only they would make 1 game like this per year, I would be a happy panda! It is so deep and epic that you can't really tell it, you have to show it to the others. I played if first when it was fresh new, and now more then 10 years later I still play it sometimes, and I guess it is going to be the same after another 10 years. It just became a part of my life, and that tells more than anything.
  16. Jul 28, 2012
    This game is perfection and shows just how RPG should be done - complex, with wonderful story and characters. None of present games of the genre can even compare to the old ones made by Interplay!
  17. Nov 3, 2011
    I still remember putting hours and hours of my early life into this game. Although this game has a really long learning curve since it's built on complex D&D rules, it's such an epic experience that you wont regret spending time on it. It may be too arbitrary to claim Baldur's Gate II is the best game ever made, but it's arguably the best mainstream RPG over all platforms. The game hasI still remember putting hours and hours of my early life into this game. Although this game has a really long learning curve since it's built on complex D&D rules, it's such an epic experience that you wont regret spending time on it. It may be too arbitrary to claim Baldur's Gate II is the best game ever made, but it's arguably the best mainstream RPG over all platforms. The game has excellent pacing and provides enough challenge. Game experience will be different with different party members, as all playable NPCs come with distinctive banter, side quests, and classes/abilities. Also The game packs all the stuff an RPGer would love: endless quests, believable characters, deep customization, various fighting styles, tons of unique treasures, enthralling main storyline, and lots of explorations. Pick any aspect of the game and it would be greater compare to other RPGs out there. If you are an RPG fan who has not played this, buy this game on gog and play it now. Expand
  18. Oct 14, 2011
    An immensely satisfied RPG experience, although it's slow to begin with. Its graphics are outdated today, but the gameplay, character development, and story is still top-notch in comparison to any game out there. I won't go so far as to say it's the greatest game of all time, but it's definitely up there with the best.

I just want to add that originally it took me a few tries to get

I just want to add that originally it took me a few tries to get into it, I just felt rather bored at the beginning. But once the story really starts flowing it draws you in and you can't stop until you finish it.
  19. Mar 31, 2011
    Everything I always recall about BG2 is just: WOW! Definitely the best RPG made so far, and holding this candle up for more then 10 years by now. The story, the graphics, the party just sucks you into the game. Once you see the end screen, you really feel sad for parting with those memorable characters.
  20. Feb 12, 2012
    The best RPG ever, all hands down!! No other RPG even comes close in terms of combat mechanic and game story. Quests are amazingly designed and the game world is just unbelivably great. No other RPG gives you a sense of adventure in a way Baldurs Gate does. It is truly a grand adventure.
  21. May 26, 2012
    This game literally gives me an erection remembering all the great plot twists and amazing dialogue, coupled with perfect combat mechanisms with a very in-depth and well laid out magic scheme.
  22. Oct 1, 2011
    After all these years, still the single most excitingly written story line a game ever had. Credible heroes, credible villains, and quests and even sub-quests with exciting and often surprising tales to tell.
  23. Nov 2, 2011
    The best computer RPG ever! Mainly because of the atmosphere and storyline (NWN's mod-ability made it very close though). Based on AD&D 2nd edition.
  24. Dec 8, 2011
    One of the best RPGs of all time. Deep and entertaining. It's outdated now but if your a true RPG fan play this game. Good community and Mods available as well.
  25. Dec 20, 2011
    A masterpiece from an era where game developers still cared about quality. The main villain remains the greatest voice in gaming history. Excellent story with intelligent game play. One of the few games worthy of an actual 10. Highly recommended.
  26. Jan 2, 2012
    Still one of my favorite RPG's even with all the current offerings that are vastly superior in visuals. BGII brings exceptional storytelling and character development into a detailed and realized fantasy world with a great and engaging storyline. They just don't make games like this anymore.
  27. Feb 7, 2012
    BG2 is in my opinion the best role-playing game ever released and one of the top five games ever made for any platform, including pen and paper.
    Many more current RPGs seem to provide little more than a mass of randomly generated, pointless quests which affect the game world as much as a mosquito affects a jumbo jet. BG2 is one of the few games, along with Fallout 1&2 and Planescape:Torment, that really got this right.
    The plot's depth doesn't masterpiece level of Planescape, but the fun factor, for me at least, surpassed it.
    Note: Dragon Age: Origins is a similar game by the same team, so if you like this, you should try it as well. DA:O doesn't have the strategy or plot quality of BG2, but I think it actually surpasses BG2 in character development.
  28. Apr 20, 2012
    A masterpiece. Even though 12 years have passed since its first release, the game still attracts me like no other. The graphics seems immune to ageing, and the sound (both music and voice acting) are extremely suggestive, creating unique atmosphere. The plot maybe is not as complex as this of 'Planescape: Torment', but it's a decent piece of high fantasy. I sincerely recommend this one.
  29. May 4, 2012
    I loved ES: Skyrim, and i really enjoyed ES: Oblivion, I liked DA: Origins and I've played a multitude of the most popular MMORPG's like WoW, Rift, Swtor and GW. But all of those games still feel meek compared to the epicness of BG2. The first game in the series is amazing, and because it is the first, it's still closer to my heart, but all in all, BG2 is the best RPG i've ever playedI loved ES: Skyrim, and i really enjoyed ES: Oblivion, I liked DA: Origins and I've played a multitude of the most popular MMORPG's like WoW, Rift, Swtor and GW. But all of those games still feel meek compared to the epicness of BG2. The first game in the series is amazing, and because it is the first, it's still closer to my heart, but all in all, BG2 is the best RPG i've ever played through more than once (i've cleared it more than 4 times with different builds and choices in the romances and main quests) and still the only one i feel like i want to play more, experience more in, and find out even more about the characters in.
    The game can be hard and unforgiving, especially for a player of new-age RPG's, and that is part of it's charm. I still think the graphics are good and the gameplay never felt repetitive since i went through with different characters and party set-up each time.
    All in all, best RPG ever in my opinion, can't wait to see how the updated version will be.
  30. Jun 16, 2012
    Best RPG game ever. No need for too much explain. Epic story, epic combat as well as epic gears. The world is huge, there are so many places waiting you to explore. And there are so many quests, some of them are as long as a independent story, some of them are short but interesting. You can enjoy all kinds of RPG elements in this game, char building, story, squad members, combats puzzlesBest RPG game ever. No need for too much explain. Epic story, epic combat as well as epic gears. The world is huge, there are so many places waiting you to explore. And there are so many quests, some of them are as long as a independent story, some of them are short but interesting. You can enjoy all kinds of RPG elements in this game, char building, story, squad members, combats puzzles etc. People who can finish this game can understand how great it is. Expand

1. I'd like my life back, Black Isle.
  2. For the first time in a single player game, I truly felt I was playing my way through a pen and paper fantasy campaign.
    It's not just vast, but flooded with quests and side adventures. There is always something to do in this game and, after that, there's always something more.