9.3

1. Lev
    Aug 20, 2008
    Favourite RPG, especially with all the mods out there nowadays. The only thing I don't like about is that even though you get to choose the alignment for your PC, you're forced to play the good guy all the time since it's more rewarding and also it makes more sense storyline wise. So it's kind of hard to really build up a personality for your characters, which Favourite RPG, especially with all the mods out there nowadays. The only thing I don't like about is that even though you get to choose the alignment for your PC, you're forced to play the good guy all the time since it's more rewarding and also it makes more sense storyline wise. So it's kind of hard to really build up a personality for your characters, which distracts from the overall enjoyable game. Expand
  2. AndyC.
    Aug 9, 2006
    The best game I have ever played. It turned me into a drooling BioWare fanboy.
  3. JoshA.
    Mar 18, 2003
    From the epic storyline to the superb graphics and environments to the flawless and never-gets-old battle system, this game is one of the greatest role-playing games ever made. It will make you want to take up D&D just to be a part of the world of Faerun!
  4. OK
    Apr 20, 2003
    Quite simply, the greatest game I've ever played.
  5. KarlG.
    Jun 15, 2008
    The best RPG ever, and quite possibly the greatest game ever made. Rather than a 'game' it's an experience that will suck you in and change your perception of gaming forever. I guarantee it will become the standard you judge other games by.
  6. MichalK
    Oct 14, 2009
    Even now, after nine years, there is no hardcore RPG game that will be better, or only equal to this little diamond... Best RPG ever.... And even one of the best games ever made...
  7. dd
    Feb 10, 2009
    Every now and then i feel the urge to replay the whole baldur's gate story. every now and then i feel how much work and how much time that game needed to be build. every now and then i feel the masses of detail and art within this game. every now and then i feel ... minsc should STFU! but still i like him. reminds me of giving him that sword with verbal diarrhoea.
  8. ChrisL.
    Jun 10, 2002
    This game is by far the best I have ever played. There is so much you can do in it that you can literally play it for hours and hours. The best!
  9. GunhanK.
    Aug 1, 2002
    Quite possibly the most immersive and fun RPG I have ever played to date. Well-balanced, entertaining, challenging enough, looks good, has nice music... What more can one ask for?
  10. ChristopherH.
    Oct 1, 2003
    It's great!
  11. MinscB.
    Aug 4, 2004
    Maybe the best RPG I've ever played. This is coming from a guy having never heard of the series then poped it in and then played it. Of course by doing that I was saying good bye to a good 2 months of my life.
  12. AndrewB.
    Oct 5, 2005
    This game has and still is the best game i have played.
  13. NikosP.
    Feb 17, 2006
    The RPG that elevated an astounding title (Baldur's Gate) to the level of perfection is undoubtedly one of the most significant computer games of all time. No true RPG fan can call himself that without having played this game.
  14. SamuelP.
    Dec 21, 2007
    BG2 takes away your breath, your time, your conceptions of a good RPG, and last but not least, your life. Its 2008 and I still play this game once or twice a year, and its completely new everytime...the magic just never dies. The graphics are pure ART, the soundtrack could come from a Peter Jackson movie, the gameplay is perfectly adjusted, the challenge is up to you, but it is always a BG2 takes away your breath, your time, your conceptions of a good RPG, and last but not least, your life. Its 2008 and I still play this game once or twice a year, and its completely new everytime...the magic just never dies. The graphics are pure ART, the soundtrack could come from a Peter Jackson movie, the gameplay is perfectly adjusted, the challenge is up to you, but it is always a tough battle throught it. Try doing the firts BG, then importing your poweful character in BG2, then, as it wasn't already enough, go throught the Throne Of Bhaal expansion pack for BG2. You'll probably need some protection for your balls, though. Expand
  15. Thullraven
    Jan 28, 2007
    I have been playing RPG's forever. Have all the DND CRPG's. This is the best by far. Even new releases can't compare depth wise, NWN2 comes to mind. Anyone rating this low is doing so just to be different.
  16. A.K.
    Mar 11, 2007
    After seven years after its release, I still play this game compulsively. A compelling plot, a huge, extremely well detailed and varied gameworld, amazing tactical depth, non-linear structure, great freedom of action and a stunning attention for particulars make Baldur's Gate 2 skyrocket to the Olympus of videogames: the best CRPG to this day.
  17. OleH.V.
    Apr 11, 2007
    At this point, there have been no better RPG games released.
  18. Jarno
    Jul 15, 2007
    Quite simple the best RPG I've played in 20+ years of gaming. Immersive storyline, looooong game play, exceptional writing, and a still active community (7 years after the game's release) creating mods and populating the official forums for the game. That must tell you something. Of course BGII can't match up in graphics to modern games, but in pure gamplay, it beats them all.
  19. JamesF.
    Jul 31, 2007
    Just superb, even today in 2007 it still holds it own in the sheer game play stakes, and by far the best RPG I have ever played. Makes you wonder what the games developers of new RPGs have been doing for the last seven years really. If you didn't get this the first time around, go get it! It doesn't cost much and will last you years (as long as you don
  20. Simon
    Mar 30, 2008
    If you haven't played it, you should. The best in RPG.
  21. TomA.
    Apr 21, 2008
    This Is A Fabulous Role playing game, I love everything about it. And The Humor and story. It was one of my first crpg's and I love it to this day.
  22. JohnR
    May 6, 2008
    Along with BG1 and Planescape : Torment the best cRPG of all time. My only criticisms are that : Bioware/Black Isle decided to dispense with the wilderness (i.e. non-essential, connecting) areas that were present in BG1 ; and I reckon BG2 could have done with perhaps five more playable NPCs. But everything else about the game is as good as and quite often better than the original, which Along with BG1 and Planescape : Torment the best cRPG of all time. My only criticisms are that : Bioware/Black Isle decided to dispense with the wilderness (i.e. non-essential, connecting) areas that were present in BG1 ; and I reckon BG2 could have done with perhaps five more playable NPCs. But everything else about the game is as good as and quite often better than the original, which was already easily the best cRPG of all time. The level of imagination, the quality of writing, the inexhaustibly involving tactical combat, the incredibly human characterization, the moments of sublime drama, great humour and of almost religious awe (e.g. when entering the Watcher's Keep area ) - make this ,along with BG1 and P:Torment, to computer games what The Iliad and The Odyssey will forever be to poetry. I will vow always to keep a machine to play these games on and they MUST be kept compatible with all future hardware to come. Expand
  23. Mr.K.
    Jul 10, 2008
    Too bad they don't make games like this anymore. I already signed off Fallout 3.
  24. EdS.
    Aug 23, 2001
    Quite easily the greatest game ever.
  25. PubaH.
    Feb 24, 2002
    Greatest Game ever.
  26. AlexG.
    Jun 23, 2002
    A totally new experience! Most games I have played revolved around one simple plot, unlike BG and BG2 which kept me always doing something new.
  27. RobertC.
    Dec 5, 2003
    I've been playing RPGs eversince NES's Zelda, and this is the best game ever. I know that no reviews can be completely objective, but no other game I know is as fun, intricate, beautiful and once again fun as Baldur's Gate 2. Play it!
  28. TimS.
    Mar 20, 2003
    Wow! This is a fantastic rpg! D&D has never been so fun! Throne of Bhaal add-on is just as good!
  29. FrancoP.
    Sep 10, 2003
    This game is very good, i like it. I don't now english very well, I'm from argentina.
  30. AlexL.
    Dec 22, 2004
    Quite easily the most entertaining RPG I have ever played. This game comes with a boatload of side quests and an entertaining main storyline, and will take a while to beat. There are also some fantastic mods to download.
  31. DaveG.
    Jan 23, 2005
    This game ia great there always something to do.
  32. ChristophB.
    Aug 18, 2005
    The most extraordinary, utterly brilliant game that I have ever, and are ever likely, to play. Timeless.
  33. FelipeP.
    Sep 15, 2005
    One of the best RPGs of all time, incredible storyline and amazing gamplay.. although the graphics are soewhat outdated. Quality in the line of fallout games.
  34. PRF
    Sep 29, 2005
    300 Hrs of questing this is hte best rpg I have encoutered. Pros the amount of quests and the things you can do. Cons It can take an age to get from a to b and combat can be messy.
  35. StuartX.
    Nov 21, 2006
    Absolutely the greatest RPG ever made. Beautiful graphics, excellent story, strategic gameplay, deep character development and a brilliant story. Play it!
  36. BoH.
    Jul 13, 2006
    I still play this game. It is still the best game with the best feeling and addiction level. No other RPG game has com close to matching it. "Hamsters and rangers everywhere - REJOICE!"
  37. J.B.
    Aug 11, 2006
    The greatest D&D RPG ever and possibly the greatest CRPG. Combines action with an incredible storyline, great voice acting (mostly), intriguing character interactions, great sound and music, replayability and perfect gameplay. Even after years of play I still run across things I missed the first time through. Incredible game.
  38. Blob
    Nov 14, 2007
    This is simply the best cRPG ever. And I doubt my opinion will ever change. Stunning graphics, NPC interactions, music, game play, story telling... what could you want more from RPG?
  39. AlexC.
    Nov 2, 2007
    I have played the game at least 20 times since I got it (7 years ago) and yet I still want to play it again... it is a rare gem.
  40. ChadR.
    Nov 20, 2007
    This is and probably will always be the best pg game ever. No other RPG i played since has captured my attention and made me want to keep playing longer. Neverwinter nights is newer and Balgurs Gate 2 totally makes NWN look like a pile of hot dogcrap. My advice to anyone who is trying to get into D&D or RPG's this is the best title you can possibly find. There are always a few on This is and probably will always be the best pg game ever. No other RPG i played since has captured my attention and made me want to keep playing longer. Neverwinter nights is newer and Balgurs Gate 2 totally makes NWN look like a pile of hot dogcrap. My advice to anyone who is trying to get into D&D or RPG's this is the best title you can possibly find. There are always a few on Ebay and if its under 50.00 grab it as fast as you can bcause yu got a deal. Expand
  41. MattD.
    Oct 23, 2007
    Even now, years later, there's nothing else that comes close.
  42. JoeB.
    Oct 24, 2007
    More earth shattering than ground breaking, this game set the standard for storyline and character development. Seven years later, the bastard son of the god of murder still reigns as the deity of great gaming.
  43. JonasM.
    Oct 29, 2007
    The deepest CRPG to date, even 7 years after its release.
  44. GeorgeL.
    Aug 1, 2007
    Amazing... The best RPG in terms of character interaction, gameplay, replayability, and spell repertoire. Only slightly behind the immortals FFVI and Chrono Trigger in terms of story. The voice acting, while not the greatest, still holds its own. The graphics are, as with all games, the only point of Baldur's Gate II that will get worse with age. Anyone who hasn't played this Amazing... The best RPG in terms of character interaction, gameplay, replayability, and spell repertoire. Only slightly behind the immortals FFVI and Chrono Trigger in terms of story. The voice acting, while not the greatest, still holds its own. The graphics are, as with all games, the only point of Baldur's Gate II that will get worse with age. Anyone who hasn't played this and enjoys RPG's... Get it. Now. BGII is the greatest single-player RPG on the PC. Neverwinter Nights 1/2 are wonderful for their easy ability to be modded and their mulitplayer, but as far as single-player goes, NWN and NWN2 both fall short of the compelling story and gameplay of the Baldur's Gate series. Any fans of the NWN 1/2 single-player game who haven't played Baldur's Gate II, go buy it now. Now. Do it. Seriously, do it. Don't fear the outdated graphics... Play this game now. Expand
  45. Jesper
    Oct 7, 2008
    Definitely the best game ever, there is no rpg like it, there is no game like it at all i have ever played after...but i hope there will be.
  46. Nova
    Mar 21, 2008
    Not as good character development as BG but so diverse - have layed through well over 100 times with different character combinations. Downloadable Baldur's Gate TuTu allows BG1 to be played using BG2 game engine so can create amazing characters to play right through, no need to change any weapon proficiencies etc
  47. MareusK.
    Mar 23, 2008
    This is how a game should be made. THE BEST game ever, no doubt! I dont even want to get into the details, just play it and you wont regret it. I promise!
  48. SniperZ.
    Mar 30, 2008
    Not to sound too over the top but Baldur's Gate II : Shadows of Amn may possibly be the greatest RPG ever made, combining excellent graphics, gameplay, narrative, story and a living, breathing environment populated by some of the most weird and wonderful characters you'll ever see in a video game, this game will take you on an amazing adventure and you owe it to yourself to own Not to sound too over the top but Baldur's Gate II : Shadows of Amn may possibly be the greatest RPG ever made, combining excellent graphics, gameplay, narrative, story and a living, breathing environment populated by some of the most weird and wonderful characters you'll ever see in a video game, this game will take you on an amazing adventure and you owe it to yourself to own this game. Put simply; if you don't like this game you either down like RPG's or you are an idiot. Expand
  49. OmbarK.
    May 11, 2008
    Along with it's prequel, Baldur's Gate, this has to be the best RPG based on the D&D system ever made. To all RPG fans, if you haven't played this one, you're really missing the best one.
  50. DomC
    Jun 24, 2008
    Great game, if you like D&D then you cannot go wrong. Shame some trolls had to spoil this games reviews, great artwork, characters and voice work even to this day. Games industry needs more 2D games.
  51. JonathanN
    Jul 17, 2008
    BG2 has not equal .
  52. SS
    Oct 28, 2009
    Quite simply the best classic heroic-fantasy RPG ever made.
  53. SD
    Aug 31, 2009
    They don't make 'em like this anymore, more's the pity. Everything came together in this game in a way that has never been achieved again. Balance was just right, gameplay was fun without being excessively repetitive, plot was interesting, world was expansive, mechanics were sound. But all that does not really get to the essence of what it is: an alternative world They don't make 'em like this anymore, more's the pity. Everything came together in this game in a way that has never been achieved again. Balance was just right, gameplay was fun without being excessively repetitive, plot was interesting, world was expansive, mechanics were sound. But all that does not really get to the essence of what it is: an alternative world experience that is totally immersive. Hardened gamers on forums reported that they literally cried at the end of this, as they would at the end of a great novel or a great movie. This had real characters doing epic things. It's not quite The Lord of the Rings, but in terms of epic scale, feel, emotion, heroism, and all out escapist joy, it's the closest thing PC gaming has ever produced. It may be ten years old now, but it's still peerless. Expand
  54. DrewC.
    Apr 24, 2002
    Quite easily the BEST game in the history of the world! With amazing graphics and great gameplay this is the greatest game ever.
  55. Error303
    Mar 15, 2003
    One of the greatest RPGs for computers (with Fallout 1/2). An absolute classic.
  56. JohnR.
    Jul 22, 2003
    The best computer game I have ever played. Everything about it is perfect. You can't ask for more in a game: the music is beautiful and appropriate, the story is enthralling, the writing is clever and interesting, the gameplay is fantastic ... I would recommend this game to strangers on the street. If you don't have it yet, BUY IT.
  57. ArturoV.
    Mar 11, 2006
    This is my second favourite RPG of all time. The story line is great and really pulls you into the game.
  58. BillG.
    Jul 12, 2006
    Fantastic rpg. Highly recommended.
  59. K.E.
    Aug 26, 2006
    How does a game deserve a 10? By being one of the best games I've ever played over the last 25years+ Watch out this could ruin your social life and your girlfriend must be very undrestanding.
  60. SHODAN
    Nov 10, 2007
    Complex villain with believable motivations. NPCs with personality and backstories. Solid and lengthy well-written plot. Subtle, detailed world. Stellar art direction with appropriate and effective graphics. Beautiful score. Totally engaging.
  61. SamP.
    Dec 27, 2007
    Baldur's Gate 2 is undoubtedly the best cRPG of all time. Even after seven years of its release, it's still ahead of its time in terms of content, depth, dialogue, non-linearity and replay value. All in all, it's an epic masterpiece of absolute perfection. If you are into RPG's and have never played this game, get it. It'll be the best deal in your life.
  62. AleksiS.
    Jul 14, 2007
    Simply the best RPG ever.
  63. Lars
    Nov 6, 2008
    Still the best RPG i've ever played. Great story, very good music, interesting characters, romances and party banter, lovingly character portraits, beautiful graphic backdrops. The voice acting is brilliant - Jaheira with a slight touch of arrogance, an innocent Aerie, mad Minsc. It's an epic RPG that offers many, many hours of gameplay, but it's not an empty, dull world Still the best RPG i've ever played. Great story, very good music, interesting characters, romances and party banter, lovingly character portraits, beautiful graphic backdrops. The voice acting is brilliant - Jaheira with a slight touch of arrogance, an innocent Aerie, mad Minsc. It's an epic RPG that offers many, many hours of gameplay, but it's not an empty, dull world like Oblivion. Expand
  64. Kevin
    Apr 21, 2008
    In my opinion, the best RPG ever made. Terrific story, good combat, great NPCs... everything comes together so nicely.
  65. bigcheese
    Aug 21, 2008
    No RPG can ever beat this game. They can only equal it.
  66. BR
    Dec 27, 2009
    Baldur's Gate 2 represents the greatest human achievement in the field of CRPGS. Additionally, it is probably one of the best games of any genre ever made. This game must be rated a 10 due to the fact that it will very likely be studied by scholars years from now.
  67. NathanW
    Jul 16, 2009
    There's a special place in a gamer's heart for his first RPG. What surprises me is how much I adore this game more than the original, which was my first real rpg immersion. Everything was better, deeper, richer, and more exciting. I have never played a more realized and wonderful fantasy world, and never regret the near hundred hours I poured into this game. Is it supremely There's a special place in a gamer's heart for his first RPG. What surprises me is how much I adore this game more than the original, which was my first real rpg immersion. Everything was better, deeper, richer, and more exciting. I have never played a more realized and wonderful fantasy world, and never regret the near hundred hours I poured into this game. Is it supremely complicated and difficult to learn? Of course it is, and all the benefit of those who want to learn and live. Expand
  68. OnurC
    Sep 13, 2009
    Simply the best game I have ever played. An epic adventure which any other game could not offer and I do not think they will do so. I have been playing variety genres of computer games for nearly 20 years and I did not played a game more than once but this. I completed this game four times and after all that I never got tired of it.
  69. Aug 27, 2010
    The first time that two members of my party, NPCs, started bickering with each other, I knew I had something special. When one of the NPCs left the party after I told her to stop whining, my jaw dropped. Before Mass Effect, before any of the many other BioWare masterpieces, this game made NPCs interesting. For that I give them a 10/10. Also, the rest of the game was outstanding in almostThe first time that two members of my party, NPCs, started bickering with each other, I knew I had something special. When one of the NPCs left the party after I told her to stop whining, my jaw dropped. Before Mass Effect, before any of the many other BioWare masterpieces, this game made NPCs interesting. For that I give them a 10/10. Also, the rest of the game was outstanding in almost every way. "Minsc and Boo stand ready. Meep-eep-eep" Expand
  70. Apr 10, 2011
    In short: the best game ever made. I played this when it was released and was amazed of all the detail, soul and love put into it.If you haven't played this then do it! It still feels as freshed as it was when it was released. I'm so sad BioWare has gone a totally different way and started making games such as Dragon Age II. I will quote another review:
    Often imitated, never duplicated: BGII.
  71. Feb 17, 2011
    One of the best games every made. Not many RPG's have gotten anywhere near this level. Great characters a good plot and an enormous amount of side quests.
  72. Dec 26, 2010
    Still the best rpg ever made. The graphics are old enough to where they're not immersion-breaking or sitting in the uncanny valley like Neverwinter Nights, and even with AD&D being pretty bad the game itself still gets there. You're never going to get anything better since Bioware wants to remove isometric view from Dragon Age 2 as it is and it seems like everything else just wants to beStill the best rpg ever made. The graphics are old enough to where they're not immersion-breaking or sitting in the uncanny valley like Neverwinter Nights, and even with AD&D being pretty bad the game itself still gets there. You're never going to get anything better since Bioware wants to remove isometric view from Dragon Age 2 as it is and it seems like everything else just wants to be an mmo these days. Expand
  73. Nov 3, 2011
    I still remember putting hours and hours of my early life into this game. Although this game has a really long learning curve since it's built on complex D&D rules, it's such an epic experience that you wont regret spending time on it. It may be too arbitrary to claim Baldur's Gate II is the best game ever made, but it's arguably the best mainstream RPG over all platforms. The game hasI still remember putting hours and hours of my early life into this game. Although this game has a really long learning curve since it's built on complex D&D rules, it's such an epic experience that you wont regret spending time on it. It may be too arbitrary to claim Baldur's Gate II is the best game ever made, but it's arguably the best mainstream RPG over all platforms. The game has excellent pacing and provides enough challenge. Game experience will be different with different party members, as all playable NPCs come with distinctive banter, side quests, and classes/abilities. Also The game packs all the stuff an RPGer would love: endless quests, believable characters, deep customization, various fighting styles, tons of unique treasures, enthralling main storyline, and lots of explorations. Pick any aspect of the game and it would be greater compare to other RPGs out there. If you are an RPG fan who has not played this, buy this game on gog and play it now. Expand
  74. Oct 14, 2011
    An immensely satisfied RPG experience, although it's slow to begin with. Its graphics are outdated today, but the gameplay, character development, and story is still top-notch in comparison to any game out there. I won't go so far as to say it's the greatest game of all time, but it's definitely up there with the best.

I just want to add that originally it took me a few tries to get

I just want to add that originally it took me a few tries to get into it, I just felt rather bored at the beginning. But once the story really starts flowing it draws you in and you can't stop until you finish it.
  75. Aug 17, 2011
    10 for story. 10 for replayabilty. 10 for combat. 10 for characters. 10 for graphics at the time of release. 10 for entertainment. 10 for addictiveness. 10 for timelessness. 10 for the modding community. Nothing but nothing is in this game's league and I suspect people will be saying the same thing after another 10 years.
  76. Feb 17, 2012
    After playing this game on and off for over 10 years, I still can't think of a single bad thing about it. I still have yet to play a better game. The style over substance, gimmicks, and lowest common denominator boys should look and study where this game was coming from. They may make something half decent then. Games that you go back to again and again are very few and far between theseAfter playing this game on and off for over 10 years, I still can't think of a single bad thing about it. I still have yet to play a better game. The style over substance, gimmicks, and lowest common denominator boys should look and study where this game was coming from. They may make something half decent then. Games that you go back to again and again are very few and far between these days and most new games are about as durable as tissue paper. This game is till standing and will continue to do so for a while yet. Unbelievably good and the easiest 10 I'll probably ever give. Absolutely unmissable. Expand
  77. Mar 21, 2012
    A rating scale of 1 -10 is just totally inadequate when you consider this game. Perhaps the scale could be made logarithmic because this game is 10 times better than anything that I would give a 9 to. In depth, range, subtlety and complexity this game is still so far ahead of others it beggars belief. I could write 1500 words on just how good one aspect of this game is, never mind how goodA rating scale of 1 -10 is just totally inadequate when you consider this game. Perhaps the scale could be made logarithmic because this game is 10 times better than anything that I would give a 9 to. In depth, range, subtlety and complexity this game is still so far ahead of others it beggars belief. I could write 1500 words on just how good one aspect of this game is, never mind how good the whole thing is. The individual parts are perfect and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Just play it. As a mage. Then try a kensai. Then a swashbuckler. Then a cleric. Then a blade. Then a fighter/thief........This is the last word in RPGing. By a mile. Expand
  78. Mar 14, 2011
    This is my favourite game of all time. I fondly remember the story, the characters and the sense of exploration and wonder it evoked. It is full of rich depth because there is so much detail in the setting and the places you visit and so much choice in how you complete the game and what kind of character you play. The gameplay is also consistently excellent. Defeating the fatasticThis is my favourite game of all time. I fondly remember the story, the characters and the sense of exploration and wonder it evoked. It is full of rich depth because there is so much detail in the setting and the places you visit and so much choice in how you complete the game and what kind of character you play. The gameplay is also consistently excellent. Defeating the fatastic creatures, villains and monsters you face feels epic and massively rewarding and so do the many conversations you have and puzzles you solve. The music and artwork are fantastic. The graphics are dated by todays standards of course but I would still reccommend playing this to anyone with any interest in role playing games. 10/10 - the game to which future RPGs should aspire to be as good as. Expand
  79. Mar 14, 2011
    Quite possibly the best game ever made! A deep, compelling experience. To say this is now an 11 year old game is astonishing, as nobody has managed to make a better game yet! The only other contender for best RPG would arguably be Planescape Torment, another amazing game but with a less "epic" story and more personal one. Baldur's Gate is a game that, if you can get past the (by todaysQuite possibly the best game ever made! A deep, compelling experience. To say this is now an 11 year old game is astonishing, as nobody has managed to make a better game yet! The only other contender for best RPG would arguably be Planescape Torment, another amazing game but with a less "epic" story and more personal one. Baldur's Gate is a game that, if you can get past the (by todays standards) steep learning curve, hard to use interface and unforgiving nature will become one of the best games you've ever played. Expand
  80. Jun 14, 2012
    This review is already rubbish, simply because humans haven't developed the communicative skills with which to describe BG2's sheer brilliance. The best RPG ever made, without a doubt. This game literally took over my life: I cared for and wanted to know the characters within it, I longed to fulfill my destiny and actually felt incredibly sad when I reached the end. Even to this day theThis review is already rubbish, simply because humans haven't developed the communicative skills with which to describe BG2's sheer brilliance. The best RPG ever made, without a doubt. This game literally took over my life: I cared for and wanted to know the characters within it, I longed to fulfill my destiny and actually felt incredibly sad when I reached the end. Even to this day the beautiful hand-drawn backdrops and masterful voice acting are in a league of their own, the combat is a D&D player's dream and the storytelling only ever rivaled once (not surprisingly by another Bioware title, Planescape: Torment). There is literally nothing even slightly below perfect that can be said about BG2. You can pick it up right now at http://www.gog.com, it's fully supported and priced at one tenth of it's real value. This is the pinnacle of Bioware's creativity. Its not A classic, rather THE classic. Expand
  81. Mar 25, 2011
    the best RPG ever created yet. Fantastic Story, Fantastic Gameplay, and by far the best thing that happened to RPG gaming yet! In fact the only reason why this game could be disliked is that it is so good that to some people it is incomprehensible.
  82. Mar 18, 2011
    In gaming, like with movies, it's a rare thing when the sequel is as good as the original. There's a case to be made that this is a better /game/ than the original because of the introduction of romances. But at least for me the story just wasn't as compelling. It's difficult because the original Baldur's Gate changed everything I thought I understood about how RPG's were supposed play;In gaming, like with movies, it's a rare thing when the sequel is as good as the original. There's a case to be made that this is a better /game/ than the original because of the introduction of romances. But at least for me the story just wasn't as compelling. It's difficult because the original Baldur's Gate changed everything I thought I understood about how RPG's were supposed play; it's one of the very few games I can truly say that "blew my mind" when it first came out. This is every bit the worthy successor. I'd certainly say that the two games combined are the best single RPG package one can get, even after all these years. Expand
  83. Mar 1, 2012
    I mark down almost every one of my favorite games. I am HUGELY against being a traditionalist who 'only likes' games of the 'golden era'. When a game ages, I don't give it a 10/10 simply because I loved it when i first played it. I rank it against everything that has come after. That said, this game truly does defy time. A thrilling and truly epic storyline that dances around many highlyI mark down almost every one of my favorite games. I am HUGELY against being a traditionalist who 'only likes' games of the 'golden era'. When a game ages, I don't give it a 10/10 simply because I loved it when i first played it. I rank it against everything that has come after. That said, this game truly does defy time. A thrilling and truly epic storyline that dances around many highly regarded stories since. This game is a gem. A true gem. When it comes to this game vs planescape torment - however. Things get tricky. As a game - BGII is the winner. As a creation - Planescape torment holds all the ambition. Both tell grand stories. They just have different strengths. Expand
  84. Apr 4, 2011
    The best game made ever. Dated at this point, it has the most poignant story and character interaction of any game. Dragon Age pales in comparison to this epic. The Icewind dale series is a close 2nd in this genre
  85. Mar 31, 2011
    Everything I always recall about BG2 is just: WOW! Definitely the best RPG made so far, and holding this candle up for more then 10 years by now. The story, the graphics, the party just sucks you into the game. Once you see the end screen, you really feel sad for parting with those memorable characters.
  86. Oct 16, 2011
    The most epic RPG experience ever. I was young and didn't understand D&D rules, but I learned as I played. There's so much story in this game, it's like a 7 layer cake. The graphics are STUNNING. This is the power of pre-rendered graphics, there's no limit to poly count, though they must remain somewhat stationary. If this game was realtime 3D it would look like beetle dung. The firstThe most epic RPG experience ever. I was young and didn't understand D&D rules, but I learned as I played. There's so much story in this game, it's like a 7 layer cake. The graphics are STUNNING. This is the power of pre-rendered graphics, there's no limit to poly count, though they must remain somewhat stationary. If this game was realtime 3D it would look like beetle dung. The first western RPG I've played, and it's still the best. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc, are all crap compared to Baldur's Gate 2. Collapse
  87. Oct 24, 2011
    If you have never played this game then you have done something wrong. Get this game, and get it yesterday. By todays standards it is not a beautiful game by any stretch, but I still enjoy the aesthetics and the hand-crafted feel to the 2D graphics (oh and the spell animations are gorgeous beyond belief if you ask me, it FEELS like your casting spells, not just waving your arms about likeIf you have never played this game then you have done something wrong. Get this game, and get it yesterday. By todays standards it is not a beautiful game by any stretch, but I still enjoy the aesthetics and the hand-crafted feel to the 2D graphics (oh and the spell animations are gorgeous beyond belief if you ask me, it FEELS like your casting spells, not just waving your arms about like a maniac), the soundscape of this game is amazing. For once a game that deserves the appelation of "best game, ever", I cannot even begin to try and describe how good this game is, except for tell you to get it. Everything about it is perfect in my mind. I want to give this 20/10, but I can't :( Expand
  88. May 24, 2011
    This is a timeless piece of art that is quite simply the alpha and the omega of RPGs. The graphics are still timeless, the backgrounds and environments look like oil paintings made by a master artist pouring his vision onto the canvas. The story is free of cliches and tired conventions, and is written like a book, while still being 100% fitting with the fantasy world that the game drawsThis is a timeless piece of art that is quite simply the alpha and the omega of RPGs. The graphics are still timeless, the backgrounds and environments look like oil paintings made by a master artist pouring his vision onto the canvas. The story is free of cliches and tired conventions, and is written like a book, while still being 100% fitting with the fantasy world that the game draws you into. You will get attached to some of the characters, you will go over your spellbook and want to try new combinations of the hundreds of spells with unique effects, and you'll be surprised by huge dungeons that lay behind secret doors in the sewers that most players will probably miss. This game has not been rivaled before or since, and nobody can call themselves an RPG fan without playing and loving this masterpiece. It will always have a special place in my heart. If you haven't played it, DO IT! Play it like an RPG and enjoy it, because these days, games don't come close. Expand
  89. Feb 12, 2012
    The best RPG ever, all hands down!! No other RPG even comes close in terms of combat mechanic and game story. Quests are amazingly designed and the game world is just unbelivably great. No other RPG gives you a sense of adventure in a way Baldurs Gate does. It is truly a grand adventure.
  90. Jan 14, 2015
    King of Kings to RPGs. Fantastic characters, amazing world waiting to be journeyed and explored, very high replay value, stories that push and drive you forward. Only downside and CON is there'll never be another work of art like SoA.
  91. Jul 31, 2011
    Simply beyond words as everything in this game was well-made. Every choice you make has a repercussion and the story never fails to tell. There are so many things to do in this game that it may overwhelm you when you first start but that is how adventures should feel right?
  92. May 26, 2012
    This game literally gives me an erection remembering all the great plot twists and amazing dialogue, coupled with perfect combat mechanisms with a very in-depth and well laid out magic scheme.
  93. Oct 1, 2011
    After all these years, still the single most excitingly written story line a game ever had. Credible heroes, credible villains, and quests and even sub-quests with exciting and often surprising tales to tell.
  94. Jan 9, 2012
    Awesome plot - lots of twists -, challenging puzzles, epic fights, very smart AI, highly customizable, in-depth NPC's, timed events, nice encounters with neutral and hostile, non linear history - everything you do has its consequences, to the point you can screw up even with the main quest w/o knowing. Best RPG of all time.
  95. Oct 17, 2011
    If only they would make 1 game like this per year, I would be a happy panda! It is so deep and epic that you can't really tell it, you have to show it to the others. I played if first when it was fresh new, and now more then 10 years later I still play it sometimes, and I guess it is going to be the same after another 10 years. It just became a part of my life, and that tells more than anything.
  96. Nov 2, 2011
    The best computer RPG ever! Mainly because of the atmosphere and storyline (NWN's mod-ability made it very close though). Based on AD&D 2nd edition.
  97. Mar 15, 2012
    The best roleplaying game, and most likely even the best game of all time.

The immersion and replayability of this game is out of this world. If you have yet to try this game give it a chance, once you're through the preliminary trial and error, you'll understand why this game is loved by so many. -It's from an era where games were made with love and ambition, and not just to make as
    The best roleplaying game, and most likely even the best game of all time.

The immersion and replayability of this game is out of this world.

If you have yet to try this game give it a chance, once you're through the preliminary trial and error, you'll understand why this game is loved by so many. -It's from an era where games were made with love and ambition, and not just to make as much money as possible.
  98. Vio
    Nov 20, 2011
    Sequel to the start of one of the most epic RPG tales ever. Compared to today's graphics the game is obviously very lacking, but like its predecessor the art itself is beautiful. Gameplay and mechanics is complicated, but like its predecessor the story, world, and basic exploration properties overcome this. Did I like it? Yes!
  99. Jan 1, 2012
    One of the best 2D Dungeons and Dragons RPGs ever made.

If you like the genre and you think you can overlook the slightly outdated 2D graphics (Just look at some screenshots or videos) than you should really give it a try. Its simply brilliant.
  100. Dec 8, 2011
    One of the best RPGs of all time. Deep and entertaining. It's outdated now but if your a true RPG fan play this game. Good community and Mods available as well.
  101. Oct 16, 2011

1. I'd like my life back, Black Isle.
  2. For the first time in a single player game, I truly felt I was playing my way through a pen and paper fantasy campaign.
    It's not just vast, but flooded with quests and side adventures. There is always something to do in this game and, after that, there's always something more.