Baldur's Gate PC

8.9

1. Feb 29, 2016
    The game's little overrated, as long as I understand the idea of classic game and overrating them due to that reason, the Baldur's Gate 1 hasn't got immersive story, in lots areas is undone and it simply goes forever unnecesarily.
  2. Aug 15, 2013
    Much too hyped I think. It's an ok game for sure and back in the day I'm sure it was better, I just got to play this recently which is odd as I'm old for a gamer and have played D&D games since the 80s on computer. This has more or less all the downsides of Bioware games I can think of. Pretty much a hack'n slash rather than a role playing game.
  3. Mar 6, 2012
    Bioware's debut to the world of cRPGs. It has strong points, like its story, which is the main reason why I gave the game a 5 instead of 2 or 3. It is a much weaker game than its sequel, for a lot of reasons. First, low level ad&d2 is really boring and lacking in variety. There isn't much to do besides equiping the bows and using the very few useful spells available. The party NPCs areBioware's debut to the world of cRPGs. It has strong points, like its story, which is the main reason why I gave the game a 5 instead of 2 or 3. It is a much weaker game than its sequel, for a lot of reasons. First, low level ad&d2 is really boring and lacking in variety. There isn't much to do besides equiping the bows and using the very few useful spells available. The party NPCs are lifeless and will almost never intervene during a conversation, being more or less mute for everything but their own side quest. Most of the side quests are weak in content and lack the depth you can find in BG2 where some of them won't even come to a true resolution until you literally stumble upon the "sequel" to that quest, like the one featuring the murderer of the Bridge District. The balance between exploration and access to content itself is lousy and there are too many nearly empty maps. And in the end, the only place worth talking about is the city of Baldur's Gate itself, the rest being terribly unmemorable, in contrast to Baldur's Gate 2 underdark, trademeet, athkatla (which is the main city hub and the starting point of the game, unlike BG-city in BG1 which you can only access later in the game), umar hills.. Mediocre but promising attempt at making a RPG, which ultimately led to the greater and much stronger sequel. Expand
  4. May 31, 2015
    Game would be great, except in reality whether intended to or not they almost force you to play certain, forget about playing classes, like mage, bard, druid, even kensai, the lack of bard armor and the cost of mage armor makes it impossible, instead of fixing those flaws like BW did in BG2, they made a few changes and left it as is. Dialogue still sucks, Jaheria's husband is still uselessGame would be great, except in reality whether intended to or not they almost force you to play certain, forget about playing classes, like mage, bard, druid, even kensai, the lack of bard armor and the cost of mage armor makes it impossible, instead of fixing those flaws like BW did in BG2, they made a few changes and left it as is. Dialogue still sucks, Jaheria's husband is still useless tool and the new characters are only good for cannon fodder, a monk with useless stats for a monk a wild mage is useless as a companion or kit. Expand
  5. Jun 18, 2015
    It's good, but its low content density makes it a pain in the ass to play. Inferior to the sequel (like almost any game is) but still good. My recommendation: play with BG2 using the Trilogy mod.
  6. Sep 30, 2011
    Superb game which spawned a superb sequel (a quite rare achievement in itself). People tend to prefer its successor but this game is actually better in some respects. No less than 25 joinable NPCs and many many areas to explore. The beginning can be quite tough but once you are over it the game is rewarding, suspenseful, amusing, intruiging and challenging. Travelling through wildernessSuperb game which spawned a superb sequel (a quite rare achievement in itself). People tend to prefer its successor but this game is actually better in some respects. No less than 25 joinable NPCs and many many areas to explore. The beginning can be quite tough but once you are over it the game is rewarding, suspenseful, amusing, intruiging and challenging. Travelling through wilderness areas always keeps you on your toes - am I going to meet some kobolds, a greater basilisk or just some madman who likes hearing the sound of his own voice? The diversity of weapons, armour, spells and enemies is necessarily limited by your low level but there are enough interesting items and encounters to keep you going throughout the game. One of the joys of this game is that almost any battle can be won by any group (or soloer) just by using the right tactics. Away from the combat, the NPCs have good interactions with each other and the PC and actually have minds of their own. The fact that all NPCs will say something out loud when you click on them is amazing in itself. The story also keeps you motivated and has some very good twists. Unbelievable replayabilty. Play as a thief with Imoen, Branwen, Kivan Xan and Shar-teel. Or maybe be a mage with Kagain, Coran, Safana, Tiax and Garrick. In 1998 this game wiped the floor with everything and it can only be judged on that. This made me a gamer and despite its age I would never hesitate to call it one of my all time favourites. Collapse

1. Baldur's Gate is not a computer role-playing game...it is THE computer role-playing game.
    It's been a long haul, more than two months of solid game-play, but I have been absolutely engrossed by every minute! Very few games earn such an accolade from this reviewer.
  3. This is, without a doubt, the closest thing out there to actually getting together with a bunch of your friends on a Sunday afternoon, taking your characters into a dungeon, and using you own BOO to find out if that bottomless pit was actually bottomless.