8.6

1. Oct 3, 2011
    This game either has a cult following or the developers are squashing all the negative reviews and beefing up the positives. That said, nothing about this game is really that fun. It's fun listening to the narrator, but I got incredibly bored after 20 minutes of play and really just wanted my $15 back. After an hour I removed it from steam. It doesn't suck and the game is a somewhat anThis game either has a cult following or the developers are squashing all the negative reviews and beefing up the positives. That said, nothing about this game is really that fun. It's fun listening to the narrator, but I got incredibly bored after 20 minutes of play and really just wanted my $15 back. After an hour I removed it from steam. It doesn't suck and the game is a somewhat an interesting hybrid, but there is just nothing compelling to make you want to explore more, play more, or achieve... anything! It's just a game with very little diversity in enemies, story, or art. It just kind of yammers on at it's own pace. I love achieving all the goals in games like MarioWorld Galaxy, and playing through top down RPGs.. This just seems to have jumbled the two genre's together haphazardly. Save the cash for better indie titles. Expand
  2. Oct 25, 2013
    Alright, I have to say that there is a great effort made in the graphics (some may like it) but apart from that point, I cannot find anything to that game. Maybe the narrator is a good idea, but I like when a story is told with nice cut-scenes, taking a break in the game. And that voice is just annoying after a little while. The controls are not very good and I keep falling down theAlright, I have to say that there is a great effort made in the graphics (some may like it) but apart from that point, I cannot find anything to that game. Maybe the narrator is a good idea, but I like when a story is told with nice cut-scenes, taking a break in the game. And that voice is just annoying after a little while. The controls are not very good and I keep falling down the platforms. The gameplay is not interesting: you keep doing the same actions over and over. You just have to switch weapons sometimes. The tentative RPG options are a failure: weapons and augmentations are very limited and anyways you sort of need to get them at some point; so there is little choice to make by yourself. The story is very boring, I had to force myself to finish it. Expand
  3. Aug 17, 2012
    Like some others, I signed up for an account just to comment on this game. I simply cannot understand its high ratings. Gameplay is incredibly "meh". Mechanics are off and the action is the same thing over an over again. If you want a dungeon crawler, there's much better out there, even in the indie circuit.

The narration is some of the worst that I've ever come across. I can't believe

The narration is some of the worst that I've ever come across. I can't believe people list it as one of the game's strong suits. The actor's voice is just annoying; it's right up there with Adam Jensen's voice in Deus Ex: HR. Word of advice to game makers: talking in a gruff voice does not make good acting; it just makes your character sound like he's doing a bad Clint Eastwood impression.

Voice acting aside, I can't understand why everyone is so amazed by the "adaptive narrator". It's not even as adaptive as the announcers in your average sports game. You can feel the cue points that trigger the dialog and it comes off very stilted and wooden: *Walk off a cliff* -> ..."Kid fell...wasn't watchin' his step. He'll be more careful next time." Forgive me if I'm not wowed.

If you're into water colors, I guess you might like the graphics (I'm not and I didn't); but, even so, they're definitely not anything to write home about. You've seen better in nearly every game out there. These are just "different" and I guess that makes them cool, for some reason. The music isn't terrible, but it is repetitive and will grate on you after a while.

All in all, there's just not much to recommend here.
  4. Dec 13, 2011
    I just made an account on this site to say that this game is a piece of crap. I can't believe how many positive reviews it has. Something must be rigged like someone else mentioned about a cult. I played Bastion for an agonizing hour expecting something to change and get better, but the game's horrible navigation, uncomfortable movement, poorly designed weaponry, unbalanced monsters- justI just made an account on this site to say that this game is a piece of crap. I can't believe how many positive reviews it has. Something must be rigged like someone else mentioned about a cult. I played Bastion for an agonizing hour expecting something to change and get better, but the game's horrible navigation, uncomfortable movement, poorly designed weaponry, unbalanced monsters- just makes me question the ratings games get these days. I have been deceived into buying this trash. FML This game isn't even worth trying for free! Expand
  5. Oct 29, 2011
    Overall I believe this game stylistically and gameplay hide behind an extremely poor gimmick being the narration and when this realization happens is when I stopped having fun. Many people at this point would have stopped playing at this point however I am one never to waste an investment of time and money and I continued on hoping for something better; but it never came. If you look atOverall I believe this game stylistically and gameplay hide behind an extremely poor gimmick being the narration and when this realization happens is when I stopped having fun. Many people at this point would have stopped playing at this point however I am one never to waste an investment of time and money and I continued on hoping for something better; but it never came. If you look at his game without the hype and supposedly the deeper meaning or how artsy and different they're trying to be, you see that it make for a very boring game (in my opinion). Expand
  6. Jan 4, 2012
    I'm apparently one of the minority that found the narrator's voice immensely grating. I was just a few minutes into the game before I looked for a way to turn off his voice, but there wasn't one. (And so I wept.) And since I wasn't particularly enjoying the combat or anything else about that game, I felt no reason to keep playing after that first sitting with the game. Upsides: The gameI'm apparently one of the minority that found the narrator's voice immensely grating. I was just a few minutes into the game before I looked for a way to turn off his voice, but there wasn't one. (And so I wept.) And since I wasn't particularly enjoying the combat or anything else about that game, I felt no reason to keep playing after that first sitting with the game. Upsides: The game worked fine and it looked nice. Expand
  7. Nov 9, 2011
    Dunno what all the fuss is about, this is just boring and pointless. These kind of games should have disappeared a long time ago. So you walk around and shoot things, pick up loot, and repeat. Just about on the level of zelda from the olde days. Lame.
  8. Mar 19, 2013
    The game itself looked interesting and unique at first, but after playing a while I got bored. Never finished the game, there is no point. This game has graphics, great narrator's voice, but overall it is poorly designed.
  9. Jan 7, 2012
    i don't know what i must to say. This game so boring. This looks like WB wind the rating. Good music,good art. But gamplay so stupid. Where is the story? This is so stupid game.
  10. Jun 1, 2012
    This game is one of the worst games that I have ever played. The viewpoint of the game was not to my liking and made the game near unplayable. The controls were ghastly and even with the use of an xbox controller were not great. The ending was disappointing and the story in general was dull and unoriginal. The use of a narrator was obviously an attempt to cover the terrible flaws of theThis game is one of the worst games that I have ever played. The viewpoint of the game was not to my liking and made the game near unplayable. The controls were ghastly and even with the use of an xbox controller were not great. The ending was disappointing and the story in general was dull and unoriginal. The use of a narrator was obviously an attempt to cover the terrible flaws of the game by the company. Overall I would not play this game again if someone paid me. Expand

1. Jan 24, 2012
    It's a highly polished, bug-free bundle of fun and at $15, it's a steal. Kudos to Supergiant Games.
    Visually stunning independent action RPG impresses you with a captivating world but will disappoint you with a dull and boring combat system. [Oct 2011]
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    Bastion hides a fun traditional gameplay under gorgeous and innovative visuals, that on the long run could come short in variety.