8.6

1. Sep 7, 2011
    This game is so good that I played through it twice back to back and each time I was sad the story ended. Beautiful music beautiful world, excellent story telling and great gameplay wraps this up as a fantastic game.
  2. Oct 16, 2011
    I originally got this game because I just bought a new 1080p pc monitor and wanted play something with vivid colors to awe at and feel good about my two hundred dollar purchase. What I was left with after graphical gloating was a great story, superior gameplay, a mysterious world and more gloating at its amazing artstyle. When I played Bastion, I always had the feeling I was "creating" the world because of how it builds up under your feet. I also felt this way because the game throws you into a seemingly hopeless universe as an all powerful hope to save against nothingness... and you do this by destroying every non human living thing you come in contact with. By the end of my experience I really just wanted to play it again on the hardest difficulty, not only to test my skill but to replay all the cool levels that make up this beautiful game. Perfect in everything it has set out to be, anyone who has 8 (first play) to 16 hours to kill should get this. Expand
  3. Feb 25, 2013
    as close to perfect as you will get in this generation. a great story; enough choices with weapons and with the story goes. And the original soundtrack pushes it over the edge.

You can get it dirt cheap anywhere and it's well worth the money.
  4. Jun 10, 2012
    You're probably going to either adore or loathe this game, solely depending on whether or not you like the Narrator's voice. I love it, but some people find it grating. Watch a few gameplay videos to see which camp you fall into.

The game itself is great fun to play. There's a very extensive and well-balanced arsenal of weapons to choose from, with none feeling over or underpowered and
    each having many upgrade choices. The visuals are great and the soundtrack is beautiful, eerie, haunting and simply fantastic. The story is fairly short, only taking a few hours to complete, but the inclusion of the new game+ option adds some replay value, and the gods/idols system allows you to customise the difficulty with ease. I really can't recommend this game highly enough. Expand
  5. Jun 24, 2012
    I loved everything about this game (the gorgeous art style, the gameplay mechanics, the replayability, the story, etc.), except for one thing: The narrator's voice.
    I guess there are many people who romanticize the south. Where men are still men and you can still shoot black people and put homosexuals in jail for being homosexual without many getting upset about it. I for one find that
    part of the world simply awful. I'm sure there are exceptions to the overall scheme I just described but as Dr. Cox says in Scrubs "When you hear hoof beats, assume horses, not zebras". And that's why I'm on the contrary repulsed whenever hearing southern accent. Expand
  6. Jul 21, 2013
    Truly an awesome game, from the confusing but complex lore to the surprisingly exception soundtrack for an indie game. Most harp about the combat being boring, but try turning all the shrines on and you'll see how difficult and challenging the game can get.
  7. Jul 7, 2012
    Fluid and addicting game-play, great story with wonderful presentation, amazing graphics and style, awesome soundtrack, lots of innovative and great ideas. Simply put, this game is amazing.
  8. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is easily in my top 5 games for 2011. The gameplay, narration, and music are all brilliant. The game is absolutely beautiful and I think it proves that you don't need to push hardware to make a visually stunning game. It is such an enjoyable game, do yourself a favor and buy it. Can't wait to see what these guys do next.
  9. Nov 17, 2011
    I liked this game very much. The graphics, the music and the storytelling are amazing! As it is very cheap, it makes up for its somewhat shortness (about 8 hours), but I cannot give it 10 as it does not bring enough for multiple playthroughs, other than the opportunity to upgrade everything and take it up on a harder level (as I tried, but there were not that much to it really). It is still a game I recommend to every gamer who seeks something different now and then. Expand
  10. Dec 7, 2012
    The game is very fun, I didn't expect much of it. But after playing it, it grows on you & the music & narration are done so well. The choices at the end, are very good. I recommend this game to everyone who likes a good story & strong mechanics in gameplay.
  11. Feb 13, 2012
    An incredible game that is both mechanically satisfying, rewarding, fun, and innovative. The narration is fantastic, moments of the storytelling and music are genuinely emotional. One of the few indie games I give a full 10/10 to.
  12. Apr 19, 2012
    At first the narrators voice and the art style seemed childish to me, but after an hour or two it starts to work and becomes great. At first the game play seems dull and rather easy, but after a couple hours it becomes awesome (use the shrine to make it harder). Also the music plays a much bigger and better role in this game than any other. If you like games that require some skill and that have a good linear story then you'll probably like this game. Just don't quit on it too early. Expand
  13. Jun 23, 2012
    This is one of the greatest games I've had the honor of playing in a very long time. The story, even though basic by itself, is engulfed with many themes and little details if you actually pay attention, which helps set up the mood and background of the world itself. The game actually has very little cutscenes actually, which is such a great pace changer compared every other game these days, and is told by a new and amazing voice actor, who already got another job for another indie game that recently came out (can't recall the name of it right now, but it's a point-and-click game where you control 4 character simultaneously). Yes, even though everything is told by this one narrator, he very much does accomplish this goal very well, I promise you.

The gameplay itself follows (the best way to put it) a Diablo-like style, however, you get plenty of weapons to actually mix and match around with, as well as skills accordingly (some skills you can choose by the weapons you equip). Instead of following a stat sheet, whenever you level up, you get to choose these drinks that help buff you up (10% crit. chance while at 100% health, etc). To also increase difficulty, there is a "shrine" in the game (first found on a level, then you can build later on in the Bastion), where you can make enemies difficult (in various ways) and you will benefit by an increase of money and experience. The soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard in a videogame, and it shouldn't be a surprise that half it's awards (it has plenty of awards fyi) is about it's soundtrack. Memorable songs, very sleek music, and the ending theme will help give you goosebumps and give the ending the mood it deserved. The sounds themselves are very good, nothing sounds (no pun intended) out of place or anything.

I can't essentially say much about the graphics 'itself', but the artstyle is definitely refreshing. Even though this game actually is a very bittersweet game, the artstyle does not hinder it at all. If there's one game that can prove that you DON'T need grimdark, brown'n'bloom graphics to set up a dark mood, it's Bastion.

To wrap things up, I'll give a quick talk about the ending (no essential spoilers). This is where the beauty comes in. You make two decisions (one right before the end and at the very end). And I can tell you: there really is no good/bad answer. The decisions you have to choose are right and wrong in their own ways, and this really leads back to themes I was talking about. I don't want to talk about it too much or else I might ruin the story and the mood for you (I tend to do that sadly), but it definitely should leave you questioning about your own real life decisions (especially if you're a teenager). Supergiant Games says they want you to feel like a kid again when playing their games. And they accomplished that with me. That is why I am giving this game a 10. I have yet to play a game that made me feel a kid again and they did it with this one. Yes, it is a grim game essentially, but the artstyle and music at times just makes you feel like you're playing one of those old games you use to play a lot when you were a kid. It's as simple as that. And with that, I will gladly give this game a 10/10. I am looking forward to Supergiant's next game, as I hope many of you are too.
  14. Nov 24, 2011
    Narration is amazing, the game play is amazing, the graphic style is great. Really the only problem I have with the game is that some of the more fun weapons are just damn near impossible to properly use when you start utilizing the shrines on later stages.
  15. Apr 1, 2013
    Bastion is one of the few games I've played in recent years that has actually had a thoughtful and intelligently designed story. The soundtrack is amazing, I loved the art style, and some people don't seem to like the combat system, I don't know why they don't honestly. I personally loved it. Perhaps they've already seen too much of that combat system. But it basically plays like a diablo hack and slash with some customization and upgrade options. But really this game isn't about the gameplay, it's about the story. And this game does what it's supposed to do VERY well. Expand
  16. Jan 10, 2012
    cool game, great fun to play the weapons and loads of upgrades keeps things fresh. the mortor is pure sex! love all the characters and the slow introduction of them. Music is very very nice and whislt the narrator an kinda get a bit too much at times it is nice that the game has that and does keep things interesting.
  17. Dec 29, 2013
    This was by far the most impressive indie game I have ever played, as well as one of my favorite games in general. The game's incredibly beautiful. The narrator is amazing, his implementation into the game really makes this game amazing. Narration in games is usually just some extra spice but Bastion wouldn't be Bastion without it, the narration is what makes this game.
  18. Jun 2, 2012
    Beautiful art and soundtrack, clever storytelling via the mysterious narrator, an interesting and legitimately moving storyline that unravels as you play and the some of the most innovative and entertaining gameplay I have ever experienced. The ending of the game made me feel so many different emotions, the most of which sorrow, for being finished with the game. A must-have.
  19. Jun 7, 2012
    The game is amazing and very original. It has a great story that I feel could make a great movie with. The game has yet to disappoint me. The price is very reasonable too, its $15 bucks for an amazing story, great music, wonderful narration, and around 10 - 15 hours of game play. You will not be disappointed if you're into a game that has narration with a touching story.
  20. Jul 5, 2012
    When I installed Bastion, the first thing that blew me away was the amazing color and art design. I quickly discovered a very fluid easy set of combat and gameplay mechanics. The upgrading is fun and the weapons are creative . The way the levels "appear" beneath your feet was a nice touch and I thought this new "constant narration" was just a gimmick, but it actually works and compliments the overall gameplay well. This is an amazing game for the low price and I highly recommend. Expand
  21. Mar 5, 2013
    Bastion is an exquisite game in all aspects. Story, art and game play.
    A beautiful and impeccably told tale of loss and hope that will conduct you through pretty much all the emotional spectrum thanks to one of the best written narrations on any media, rendered in an equally formidable palette with one of the most attractive looking cartoon styles you may hope to find in a game at present
    times.
    Guiding you across the lavish visual landscape is another "character" of similar beauty and importance as are the graphics and your trusty weapons: The music. The music in Bastion is as necessary to the story and the game as is your character or the narrator.
    With the uncomplicated game mechanic and goals of, let's say, a platformer, Bastion (a weapon's RPG) manages to involve you emotionally in ways usually reserved for Adventure Games or large RPGs, thanks to its well crafted cast, presented to the player during the course of the game by well-timed brushstrokes of "sensations" instead of lengthy descriptions. A feat that is even more laudable since we get at best a few one-liners about each of them interspersed along the story.
    The game changes fast and frequently enough to always keep you interested on what is taking place at the moment and curious of what may be about to happen. Interesting weapons, potions and special skills make for a truly unforgettable experience that has "replayability" etched on every lost stone of Caelandia you recover.
    I think I've kissed Bastion's ass enough to make it redundant to say that I fully recommend it.
    d(^_^)b
  22. Oct 15, 2011
    I bought this from Steam after hearing much of it. I cannot express this enough, this was possibly one of the best purchases I have made to date. The art style is beautiful, the concept is incredible and unique and the story is deep and engrossing with points where it was incredibly hard-hitting. As far as I'm concerned it's been my favourite release this year and I can only hope the developers intend to continue this incredible storyline with either a sequel or DLC because I'd be more than happy to pay for it. Expand
  23. Oct 21, 2011
    The game doesn't start out with much plot, but builds much towards mid game and end game. Very fun 2d game, with beautiful textures and art style. Sound track is just amazing itself. Looks like Supergiant Games made a great game introducing them into the video game industry.
  24. May 12, 2013
    Game is simply put the best indie game I have ever played. I thought the art style was amazing and the story was immersive and original. The narration was something new and different and added the perfect touch.
  25. Oct 28, 2011
    Bastion is one of those few games that really tries to be different. You are the Kid, one of the few survivors of a disaster called "The Calamity". The Calamity shattered the land of Caelondia to pieces, and you must find other survivors, rebuild the Bastion, and try to find out what caused the Calamity to happen.

+ Good combat system: The fights and moves feel smooth and right
    Great weapon system: You start out with a hammer, and as you advance through the game you'll find more and more weapons, all with their own abilities, pros, and cons.
    + Upgrades/Buffs/Achievements: Bastion comes with the ability to completely modify the difficulty you are playing. There are several buffs called "Spirits", which you can collect and aquire throughout the game. Also, you can invoke the spirits of the gods to create environmental effects, increasing an monster's lifebar for example.
    + Innovative Narrating: Bastion is all about the story. As you travel through the game, the narrator travels with you, monitoring your every move and decision. He tells you about monsters, history, landmarks, etc. A very nice add
    + A very mature cartoony look: The graphics look great, and totally belong to this sort of game.
    + Soundtracks: Nice!

- Replayability: You'll probably need 3 or 4 hours max to finish the story. Then you can start "New Game Plus Mode", restarting the campaign but with all your weapons, upgrades and buffs from your previous game, allready unlocked and at your disposal.
    - No feature DLC: The developers wanna focus on their next game and see Bastion as a 1 time thing, there won't be any future DLC available and thats, in my opinion, a missed chance.

Concluding: This is the best Indie game i have ever played! The story, the gameplay, the narrator, it all fits together perfectly. 15,- is truly a steal, this game is worth more then that.
  26. Dec 7, 2011
    This game has a great story, amazing visuals, insanely good combat and you get this great feeling just by playing it. Supergiant games managed to give me this great experience that I haven't really had since some of the great, lush adventure games for the PS2. The game is kinda "old-school" in the way that the gameplay is so pure and straight-forward, but they have brought in a lot of stuff in the aesthetic department. For the price, this game is most definitely worth buying. Expand
  27. Oct 31, 2011
    This game is so good, so inspired, so overwhelmingly original, it nearly goes beyond words. The art is cartoon-like, but still mature enough to carry the story well. The story is highly engaging. The action is amazingly good, with narration for everything you do (or even don't do). In fact, the narration is what makes the story carry so well. You are never alone in this game. The narrator is always letting you know what is new and what is going on, even if you're the one doing it, and it manages to never be repetitive. Fantastic game! Expand
  28. Nov 2, 2011
    Extremely original and unique game. Absolutely love the narration, music, and visuals, and I personally find the combat to be satisfying. The world they create catches you from the get go, and it is seriously difficult to put this game down. Definitely a must play.
  29. Mar 14, 2012
    Bastion is one of those games that takes you back to a time when you used to enjoy fairy tales in all their full colors and wonders without questioning anything about them in relative to the realism. Supergiant games has proved that in these time of entertainment when every fiction is trying to get it's story to be grounded in reality as much as possible without breaking the concept or the elements of fiction, a story can still be told that doesn't have to try to fulfill this requirement in order to get the attention and time of a logical mind. Bastion drives heavily on the narration of one character Rucks in the game who has been voiced incredibly by a Logan Cunningham (i'm keeing his voice with those of Morgan freeman and such from hollywood.. Seriously). Right from the beginning of the game to the end, including every action by the protagonist and details about the diverse places where the games ventures, everything is described by him in a manner that you can't help but listen and contemplate what was just said and yet none of what he says takes too much thinking to understand. I mean this one thing, rucks' talking, constitutes more than half of the games. and believe me his talking ain't just some blabbering. like i said he's telling you a story you want to enjoy without the anticipation of answers (which eventually are provided) of the questions that arise during the game ruining the experience. it's the way Rucks unfolds the events in the game by his narration that makes the experience beautiful. then the other things driving the game are visual design and music. I mean it's all hand painted design of everything here that has been given simple and effective animation to bring life into the game. and the music for each level and scenario has been composed so beautifully that after your playthrough you'd definitely be getting the album. lastly the gameplay is good if not great. things were kept interesting by players getting some different new weapon or upgrade regularly. but the gameplay delivers fun more in the proving grounds than in the main story missions as each weapon you acquire in the game is used in different proving grounds for completing challenges like shooting as many targets as possible in the given time and such. you rely on your reflexes in here more than you do in the story missions. in the end i just want to say that don't go by the size of the game (which is just under 800 MB) or seeing that this game is a downloadable one so won't be as good as the full blown games. it packs a punch stronger than the recent 15 or 20 gigs games that i've played recently. believe me in the coming times whereas you'll keep getting the iterations in the installments of the established series from big companies like EA or Activision, the innovation for a wholly different experience will come out from independent games only. I literally thank Supergiant games for making me a child for awhile again without letting me feel childish about it. Expand
  30. Jan 10, 2012
    Pretty solid game. Good story, good voice acting, nice graphics. Game-play is very addictive and fun (easy to play hard to master). I would give it a 10, but the combat is actually pretty simple and locations are almost the same all the time.
  31. Nov 20, 2011
    one of the best games ive played , i have even bought the soundtrack , fantastic music that fits the areas and combat perfectly, fluid combat with a wide variety of weapons to use, the graphics and atmosphere are great the whole word tells a story , engrossing storyline with an ending better than most i have seen in a long time.
  32. Dec 6, 2011
    Beautiful. Easily one of the best story games I've ever played ;) The music, graphics, and narration immerse you into the world of Bastion. I like to make video game lets plays over everything I play, but I had a difficult time doing this one, cuz I felt that me talking over it ruined it a bit. 10/10
  33. Jan 27, 2012
    One of the best games of 2011. Every thing is tied together perfectly, creating a seamless, coherent experience. Everything about the game - the music, the art style, the gameplay - ties into the theme. A perfect, perfect game.
  34. Nov 24, 2011
    One of the best games I've ever played.. Visually stunning, beautiful soundtrack, super game play and a great story. The only negative is that I wish it was longer. I sure hope this gets game of the year award.
  35. Nov 26, 2011
    Amazing. There is nothing else that I can say about this game. It is simply amazing. Everything about it is amazing. I do not have a single complaint about bastion.
  36. Jan 11, 2012
    Story? Beautifully simple. Visuals? Marvelous. Gameplay? Addicting. Bastion has left me wanting more, especially after the choice of two endings. If you haven't beaten the game already, take the first ending. Then beat the game in New Game Plus, which is basically the same thing except you have almost everything you found first time around, and experience the second ending. Take my word for it, it's much better that way because I did it the other way around. In an era where games are often rehashed, Bastion is a breath of fresh air. It has been a awhile since I've played a game like this, reminds me of my childhood that was spent playing Legend of Zelda. Bastion is worth every penny. Expand
  37. Dec 8, 2012
    Brilliant, one of the most original RPGs ever created. The style is just fantastic. The voice acting and duologue is superb. The story is brilliant, every moment is great. The only negative I would have to give is that, I feel the replay value is very low. The gameplay time itself is already very short, once you've played it through, the awesomeness fades away, but it is still an amazing game. Play it! Expand
  38. Nov 25, 2013
    Simple, beautiful and entertaining game with a wonderful atmosphere

This game caught me completely off guard, I was attracted by the colorful art style, wonderful music and the deep voice of the storyteller and found the game to be so much more. It is a small indie game but it knows what it wants to be and executes it with surgical perfection. It is a story driven action-adventure game
    that is a bit linear in the beginning but opens up a bit later on in the game.
    You have different weapons that you collect through the game, many are generally useful but also fills a specific function. Your village starts as an empty place but you get access to new buildings that you can place there over the course of the game and they in turn, give you access to upgrades and power-ups that will increase your chances during your adventures.
    While the game mechanics are solid, the thing that captivated me was the story, music and atmosphere. You can see throughout the game that it was built with a clear vision and a lot of love. This was one of my most memorable adventures to date.
  39. Jan 11, 2012
    Alright, I give it a 9 because the replay value sits at about nothing after you finish it the second time. The narration is entertaining, but the game is not expansive. You're in a short story, and I will be giving this game to any child that enjoys video games.
    From the perspective of 'it's too easy'; try saying that with all ten idols on. I had that reaction, but that's why they gave you
    the ability to make the game as tough as you can handle. While it is insane to impose stress on yourself, you can't say that the game is too easy, because it can be made harder. It's a good game for a kid to play, but strong enough for an adult. This is a fun RPG, and deserves to be played by everyone who would like to play a fantastic RPG. Expand
  40. Dec 20, 2011
    Fantastic game that I would recommend to ANYONE regardless of age. Fantastic action, story telling, art direction, music and sound. This game will make crack smiles. This is a video game. You won't be disappointed.
  41. Dec 20, 2011
    Bastion gives you a lot of quality gaming for your money. The concept of having a narrator seems so simple, but adds a lot of depth and uniqueness. Just go easy on it; after about 8 hours of content button-mashing, I was well on my way to carpel-tunnel.
  42. Jul 21, 2014
    One of the best indie games out there. Bastion is a rich and beautiful game, with its story expertly narrated by the incredibly entertaining & funny Ruck which proves you don't need a AAA budget with full Voice-over characters to tell a good story and is a steal on the Steam sales for a couple of £/$
  43. Dec 26, 2011
    Very good game, especially when it's 66% off it's original price, as it is on the day of this writing on Steam. Even at full price, this game is worth it. The biggest draw here is the narrator telling the story of the main character. His story telling really adds a wonderful element to what would otherwise be an above-average game. This is really one of the best indie games to come out in a long time and it'll keep your attention with its excellent story telling and enjoyable gameplay. This is just a fun game and anyone who enjoys playing games should pick this up on whatever platform you use the most, whether it be the 360 or the PC, especially today when it's on sale on Steam. Buy it and you won't regret it and that's something you can't say for most games that are released in this day and age. Expand
  44. Feb 12, 2013
    Bastion is a great example of what a complete video game should be: great fun factor, gameplay, controls, music, scenery, and diversity in items as well as enemies. The story line is very simple, the game obviously wants you to focus on the gameplay. Now I am probably one of few that did not find much replay value in the game, though it is set up to be replayed many times, so IF you end up liking this game, then it will deliver its value ten fold. Expand
  45. Jun 2, 2012
    A great game that everyone should experience. Fantastic music and art style. Fluid and fun combat. Well worth the $15 it normally costs. Buy it now.
  46. Jul 19, 2012
    Bastion is a game made by only 7 people yet it packs a serious punch. You start off awakened from a concussion which you soon find out was caused by the Calamity, a catastrophe which nearly destroys the entire world. As you walk the ground forms in front of your feet. The story soon progress to the Bastion, a refuge which was made for an instant like the calamity. You then travel to different areas to search for survivors and cores so you can expand the Bastion. These expansions give you customisation. For example the arsenal allows you to swap around unlocked weapons (you can have a primary, secondary and special) and the forge allows you to upgrade them. There is also a distillery which allows you to have potions running which gives you boosts (you can have 1 per level), and five other buildings. It Expand
  47. Jan 7, 2012
    What a Wonderful little game this is. The art style is very pleasing and the soundtrack adds to the ambient nature of the game. This is one of those rare titles I had to buy the soundtrack for. The game itself can be as easy or as challenging as you want it to be and my only dislike is it ended. 0.o Bastion is by far the best Indie game I have come across to date, it was well worth the $5 price tag and is something both My sons and myself have played nearly to death over the holiday. Expand
  48. Feb 18, 2012
    I play this game because of the story and great soundtrack. The game play is just simple and linear like a normal action game, but what the heck! this game is great! I hope more kind of this game will be made. For Super giant Games congratulations!
  49. Feb 9, 2012
    Music- 10/10. Graphics- 10/10. Storyline- 9/10. Combat/ Game Play- 7/ 10. The repetitive hack and shoot gameplay was fun at first, but slowly began to fade into a trudging dungeon crawl. while it's not my favorite game, Supergiant shows virtually limitless promise for future games, and it would be a good idea to keep them on your radar.
  50. Mar 19, 2012
    This is an amazing game with a great soul. The gameplay is fun, but what makes Bastion special is the atmosphere. The narrator is awesome, the music is amazing, and the story unfolds in a very impactful way. There was a certain point during the game where a song started up in the distance, and I was just blown away by the emotions it involved. You'll know when you get to that part. I should also mention that this game has good replay value, which is enhanced by special game modes and the "dream" challenge levels, which I really enjoyed. Just say yes to Bastion. You won't regret it. :P Expand
  51. Mar 9, 2012
    This game is just amazing. The gameplay is fun, the soundtrack is incredible good and the story is fine. But the best thing is the Narrator and how he presents the whole game to you. Just buy it.
  52. Mar 19, 2012
    A lovely melding of narrative, platform action and shooting mechanics. Worth playing for the distinctive design, voice acting and music alone. Old school but fresh and fun. Highly recommended.
  53. Apr 8, 2012
    Normally all the "Wow its so much Art" and "Artful masterpiece" Indy games disappoint me. Mostly the game mechanics are flat and the game gets repetitive very fast. But this game here is different. It looks beautiful and there are at least 3 completely different play styles. A lot of weapons, upgrades and unlockables. It has a fresh difficulty system and the story a narrated with the best narrator voice you could imagine in this setup! A proper indy masterpiece! Expand
  54. Jul 3, 2014
    Pros: Fantastic music and graphics. An interesting narrator that comments on your actions / decisions.

Cons: It's a fairly short game.

It's a fun title you'll beat in a few hours and probably never come back to, but the music and narrator make it a memorable experience, and i think back to Bastion as one of my best experiences in gaming.
  55. Apr 24, 2012
    Intriguing story, awesome narration, and beautiful music make this game a good play for the price. I have seen top-class games ($50-$60) that paled in comparison to this one. In short: buy it and have fun. It is incredibly creative, mystical, and the ending... well, this is one of the few low-cost games I have played that has a good ending.
  56. Apr 25, 2012
    I honestly have to admit that I was sceptical when I saw my little brother play Bastion, but when Steam put it on sale I decided to give it a go.

And boy am I happy that I did. I'm not the biggest fan of indiegames, but Bastion is really a masterpiece with innovative storytelling. It showed me that a game doesn't have to have a huge budget to be great, and even though only a handful of
    people worked on this game, it's as good as any game!

If you're sceptical of indiegames - don't be! This game is a f***ing masterpiece!

9/10 from me, being closer to 10/10 than 8/10.
  57. Apr 30, 2012
    Brilliant different charming game. I thouroughly enjoyed the narrative, was enchanted by the score, enthralled by the story and stunned by the scenery. Indy games are more often than not showing the triple A titles what can be achieved with a little imagination and a lot of talent, and Bastion is one of the finest examples. This game gave more joy than the majority of full priced titles I have played in recent times and I would recomend it highly. 9.5 Expand
  58. May 1, 2012
    Bastion is one of the best games I ever played. I registered on this site just to give my opinion on what I think is one of the best games ever. The atmosphere is one of the best I have ever experienced, and the story is not bad either. I loved the narration; it gave further details about what is going on and what happened in the calamity. The journeys to who knows where combined narration and back-story with a test of your skills, and created a tense, awesome experience. The battle system is amazing as well. I prefer the PC because you can choose to never use the auto aim (which I think ruins the game). The weapons are all different and with combinations, many different play styles can be used. The shrine system is also genius. Plays set the games difficulty not with some boring option in the menu, but by unlocking shrines and making the gods angry. I loved this game so much that I went over to supergiants web site and bought the pack with a bandana, signed artwork, a shirt, and the soundtrack. That reminds me... the soundtrack is awesome. Everything about this game is just so good, I had to write a review, It is innovative to the right degree, has just the right amount of story, has a combat system that doesn't get old (on the pc without using auto-aim), and has a world that leaves you wondering what you'll see next. I love this game so much and recommend it to everyone :) Expand
  59. May 2, 2012
    A little masterpiece. One of the most enthralling game stories I've ever played - the narration is wonderful and the writing never puts a foot wrong. The gameplay is solid and satisfying, if unoriginal. This is a game I will come back to again and again.
  60. Sep 28, 2012
    The fact is, this game is simply good at everything it tries to do. It has a great story, that is told in a subtle way, and narrated in one of the most unique fashions I have seen. The gameplay is very solid, and requires quick thinking and smart use of the tools and weapons you are given. Graphics are beautiful and unique. They compliment the story and gameplay perfectly, and the soundtrack is a gift from heaven. This game was crafted with such care and attention to details, I must recommend it to everybody. Even if you aren't sure this game suits your videogames taste, try it out. It's one of the finest indy games of the generation, and it's very affordable on steam. Supergiant games deserve their game to be appreciated and recognized. Buy it! Expand
  61. May 16, 2012
    There aren't that many indie games that could go head-to-head with AAA products. Bastion is an exception however. As soon as you pick it up it sucks you in and simply do not realize yourself that what you thought to be 15-20 minutes were actually an hour and a half ... if not more. The game has a unique drawn art in it's own league and when we add a great narration with a deep voice, corresponding to the atmosphere, born from the events in the game and on top of that a serious pack of soundtracks, Bastion turns from a standard indie game into a lovely gem. The combat system grabs you from start and as the game carries on you unlock more and more games which can be customized in buildings such as the armory and arsenal where you can choose which weapons and one special skill and being given the chance to spend crystals which you collect along the way to upgrade them however you see fit. Beating the game gives you the chance to start a New Game+ which takes your weapons and skills, aquiered in the first playthrough, giving you the chance to finish their upgrades if you haven't yet. An interesting mechanics also featured in the game are spirit drinks which act as passive skills which you can choose and equip and also idols of certain deities which when enabled makes the game harder for you and of course - more rewarding as well. Despite the lack of MP Bastion offers leaderboards with which you can compete with friends and the whole world even - if you think you are good enough ... If you wish to prove that you stand above others than pick this game up and have fun while proving yourself ! Expand
  62. May 17, 2012
    This game is amazing. Really. The graphics are beatiful, the soundtracks is just... a masterpiece, the story is very immsersive and the gameplay is excellent! The game is a little bit too short, but "Quality over quantity" right ? It took me 8 hours to complete the game doing everything I could in the first run. This game is worth every single penny. Buy it!
  63. Dec 3, 2012
    The way Bastion tells its story is like nothing else ever done before.
    A world so colourful and yet so sad.
    Downsides? Believe me, I don't find anything to dislike. I haven't been drifted into a game so much for a long time.
  64. Jul 12, 2012
    This game is proof that games can be well built as well as visually striking. I bought this game in the Humble Bundle V and payed something along the lines of $1.50 for it. But after playing it for something ridiculous like 15 hours over the course of 2 days I can see no reason why anybody should have any problem paying full price for it. I would. I might, just to donate more money to Supergiant Games. Its just a stunning game with a little bit of everything for everyone. It can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be. It has some sections that feel almost casual, but there are some parts which are full out hardcore platforming. If there was one thing that I would say could use improvement was the difficulty curve going from the first playthrough to new game+. There wasn't one. I had to activate all the idols just to give myself more of a challenge. That withstanding I could not think of one other thing wrong with the game. The visuals are amazing, the soundtrack is fantastic, the gameplay is as simple or as complex as you feel you would like it to be, and the story is just incredible. You really need to be looking very hard to find something wrong or undesirable with this game. Expand
  65. Jun 21, 2012
    Story:
    The story of bastion is about a boy named the kid who wakes up in a world after the Calamity has happened. He finds him on the island called the Bastion and meets the Stranger who tells him of the cores that can revive the world. As you play through the game, the Strangers narration tells the about the world and hints of things that have happened. Also you will find items that
    give insight into the people and what life was like before the calamity has happened. The storytelling works very well for this game and keeps you hooked until the very end. To me, it is one of the best stories that I have seen in gaming

Game play:
    Bastion is played in a 2d isometric view. Levels in the game sometimes have multiple paths but are primarily linear and easy to navigate but the right size in length. You never end up feeling like the levels have gone on to long and are the appropriate difficulty. Through out the game you will collect shards and items to upgrade your weapons, buy spirits to aid you, secret abilities and idols. Secret abilities are basically special attack you can use for one of the two weapons you can equip at a time Upgrading weapons gives you some limited customization on how your weapons work. Each option can help deal with enemies you face in the storyline the who knows where challenge modes, and the weapon challenges. You can always change these upgrades anytime. This is needed to make some weapons useful like the pike, army carbine, mortar, and calamity cannon that are tough to use at first. They are especially needed for trials as getting first place is impossible to get without, the challenge modes, and story mode when you have all the idols active. If you want to make the game harder, you need to unlock the shrine to use Idols to increase the challenge like enemies becoming more aggressive, etc. Using the idols to soon without the right equipment and upgrades can make things very difficult to impossible. Luckily you can go back to the bastion to change equipment and adjust the difficulty. You also have spirits to help you. These liquids give you abilities like recovering health with every counter attack or full recovery with use of potions. These end up being essential throughout the game but you can only chose a limited amount at a time. As you fight enemies, you gain xp that increase your health by 2 points and unlocks another slot that can hold a spirit. The only thing I wish is the levels had more alternative paths and things to find There is an annoying aspect where you are forced to use new weapons you pick up. The game has a world map where you generally have two levels to chose from along with some challenge area\'s to earn items. These challenges tend to require a fully upgraded weapon in order to get first place. The controls are simple and easy use with no difficulty in learning them. You can\'t spam the controls though as they have animations and can\'t rapidly switch between weapons or the shield. The game is a decent length that took me 15 hours on my first play-through plus with new game + and Score attack mode adds replay value along with buying everything. Overall I have enjoyed the game and never felt tired of it.

Graphics/sound:
    The graphics are a wonderful 2D art style that is gorgeous at any resolution. The amount of detail and atheistic wonder draws you into this wonderful world. Level design in it\'s own way tells you the story of the world and how it was built along with the decay that has become of it. Animations of the characters and the enemies give them personality. The kid has an aggressive fighting style shows his mixed emotions of anger, sadness and determination to succeed. Audio is wonderfully done with the narrator\'s acting draws you in to the story and the music keeps you in the mood. He tells the story as you play and gives you in-site of the world around. As you find items, you can show them to him and get a better understand of the world around you. I did enjoy It music is a mix of blues and guitar that gives it a bit of a western feel which is suitable considering you are venturing off to new frontiers. The graphics and audio wrap the game in a stunning package that is a treat for one\'s eyes and ears.

Conclusion: Bastion is a wonderful game that is nearly flawless. The only really wish is their to be more to the game and more branching paths. The story is flows well with it being told along the way rather then in chunks that can disrupt the game play or ruin the flow. Atheistically and audio wise, it is great to listen to and look at. I would recommend this game to anyone and it can be gotten for $15 or $25 with the soundtrack.
  66. Aug 12, 2012
    Bastion would have been just another shoot-and-dodge (or hack-and-slash if you favor melee weapons) game if it wasn't for the Narrator. The beauty lies in the fact that its story is literally being told along with you playing, not in bursts interrupting your gameplay. Thus you get a 10-hour long tale, that might not contain overly heroic deeds, but is a tale nonetheless, with great graphical and musical presentation. The weapons keep flowing in and they all have their place, as do the special skills. In the end it's quite worthy of both time and money spent on it. Expand
  67. Jun 4, 2012
    With very stunning story and a lot of customization with weapons and their upgrades, idols, spirits Bastion transforms an ordinary RPG into a world to live in. Completing the main story won't show you all the might of Bastion, just to go and try some more.....
  68. Jun 6, 2012
    This was quite honestly one of the best games I have played in a LONG time. I am a big fan of story in games, and this game delivers story like no other. The narration really adds to the gameplay, because it allows the game to forgo cutscenes for player-driven progress. It is also strangely satisfying to hear him comment on everything from your choice of drink to your obsession with cutting down bushes. Overall, the story is superb, and really makes the game. However, even though the developers clearly focused on the story, the gameplay is still top-notch. There are several weapons and numerous other ways to customize your character. The combat is smooth and beautiful. One initial complaint I had was the difficulty (it is quite easy in the beginning), but the difficulty escalates as the game progresses, and you also gain the ability to make the game even more difficult by praying at the shrine. Finally, the artwork and soundtrack for the game are both marvelous. Each soundtrack fits the game perfectly, and the artwork really adds to the atmosphere. I would highly recommend getting this game, especially considering its low price. Expand
  69. Jun 10, 2012
    I've only got a bit into it so far but honestly this one of the best games I've played for a long long time. It's original, new, innovative, pretty and a lot of fun.
  70. Jun 26, 2012
    A massive surprise, bastion is indeed a graphical and musical journey. The art work, which I believe were watercolour (might be wrong) looks wonderful. The audio is also magnificent and gives the world depth, atmosphere and feel. I think sometimes certain emphasis is placed on graphics, game-play, etc with most games. Bastion manages the beatification of simple game-play with a simple story. I felt compelled to move the "kid" through all the sections, try all the weapons, fight in the "dream zones" all the while the narrator describing the action and the character backgrounds. Simple games done well always bring a smile to my face, and even though the story is finished for me there are still options to play again, change the difficulty settings, achievements, try different weapons making the longevity of the game last its price tag. I hope for a sequel or maybe prequel who knows. Expand
  71. Jul 27, 2012
    The phrase indie game is sometimes viewed as a negative term. It implies low graphic quality, mediocre sound, and unfortunately short games. Bastion manages to forgo all of these stereotypes. The art quality is astounding, as it is all handpainted and carefully crafted. The soundtrack is an invigorating mix of pounding electronic drums and rustic acoustics, which keep the player involved and motivated. The game also warrants multiple play throughs, as it includes a new game plus which is a feature more rpgs should include. But beyond the aesthetics and minor details the game plays incredibly. Each weapon has advantages and is upgradable to fit multiple play styles. Your pistols can be adjusted to shoot faster or shoot slower and more powerfully. Your hammer can be a raging damage machine or stun foes. Each weapon has a multitude of options, all of which are fun to experiment with. The keyboard interface is great and the game paces itself well enough that combat never becomes boring.

The narration and story are also quite welcome, although the narration from the sultry stranger far outshines the story. Its not as though the story is bad, its quite decent. Unfortunately the details are fuzzy at best. Details are given but there is never truly a picture painted for the player of exactly what has happened and why. The lore needs a bit more fleshing out. Luckily it does not matter in the end as the whole game is emotionallly gripping and a fantastic experience. I would recommend it to hardcore and experienced gamers alike.
  72. Jul 13, 2012
    I wasn't expecting that much from Bastion when I bought it, just a few hours of mindless fun. What I got was one of the most fun, engrossing, and thoroughly amazing games of all time. The gameplay is simple, clean, and intuitive. I never felt like I was fighting the controls. My character reacted exactly as I felt like he should and if I messed up it was entirely my fault. The soundtrack is also right up there with the best the gaming industry has to offer. This is one of the few game soundtracks I would actually buy; right there alongside Chrono Trigger and Castlevania: SOTN. The art and graphics fit the game perfectly and act alongside the music to immerse you in the world. The way the world builds itself around you as you walk is very neat and doesn't get old. But where the game really shines is the narrative and how it unfolds throughout the game. The only voice in the game (besides a scene at the end) is the narrator and you learn everything about the game world and how to play the game through him. At the beginning you knowing basically nothing, and it builds from there to become one of the most beautiful, heart-wrenching narratives I have ever seen in a video game. This is a must buy for gamers of all skill levels and one of the best games of all time. Expand
  73. Jul 15, 2012
    This game is near perfection in visuals, game play and story. Many are complaining about the lack of any types, but in a 6 hour game there are well over 15 types and you fight them in different combinations, making each fight unique. It is not a hard game, but it doesn't have to be. From beginning to end the story captured me and I had a hard time taking a break as each level will bring you more secrets. Also, the narrator has one of the most bad-ass voices ever. Definitely a buy. Expand
  74. Sep 30, 2013
    Bastion if like one of those moments in life that you buy a bag of five cookies and find seven on the inside.

This indie game does not disappoint; with a unique and absolutely stunning visual and level design, a suitable soundtrack and a narration that slowly unfolds the deep story, Bastion is one great game that takes storytelling to a new stage.
  75. Jul 18, 2012
    Some people like to say Bastion is just an over-hyped indie game. It's not. Bastion is a fine work of art, and like art, some people fail to see it's true beauty. This is a game that's designed around the story, and it sadden me to see the unfortunate who come for photo-realism and pure gameplay drag this game down. It's a game about immersion, and while it puts a lot of effort into creating a believable narrator and enviroment, it's gameplay is still amazing. The controls are tight and you would never suspect this game was designed for the XBLA. Even if this game had crappy controls, I would damn well learn to love it just to hear the narrators soothing voice. Expand
  76. Jul 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is DEFINITELY in my top 3 favorite games. The originality of it, the amazing visuals that the game grants everyone, and the narrator...oh my...can I be that guy? Well, I love this game. It's got great graphics and visual effects, and it's amazingly original. When you begin, you're a kid who finds his trusty hammer, and you begin turning into the Hulk. Smashy smashy! Once you begin to find Cores, the Bastion (The place you are essentially living) begins to expand, and you find people who survived the Calamity along the way. They are from the Ura, who used to be at war with your people, the Caelondians. Well, later on in the game, one guy from the Ura destroys the monument that you have been placing the Cores on. Since there aren't any more Cores to find, you have to find Shards. Once you find a bunch of the Shards, however, the Ura begin attacking and destroying the Bastion. You need to find another Shard to put the Bastion back together, but that Shard is in the Ura's homeland. You go there, and after fighting a lot of people, you get the Shard. You find the boy who betrayed you and began the attack on the Bastion, and you have a choice to leave him there and have the Ura torture him (They do that because he caused lots of troubles between the Caelondians and the Ura) or bring him home to the Bastion. If you bring him with you, you get a very sad ending, that personally made me tear up. Now, once you make it to the Bastion with the last Shard, you can either Evacuate or stay. Either way you can start a New Game + Version.

Highly recommended. Buy it. Now.
  77. Jul 23, 2012
    I just have to say this: Every bad review (with a small minority of exceptions) have played this game THROUGH A FIRST SITTING or AN HOUR TOTAL! Then they decided they would come on and rate the game badly. What I say to everyone looking to buy the game is, totally buy it! Maybe a demo, if you want. If you buy it, play through MORE SITTINGS THEN ONE. I am, for one, finding this game to be really worth my time and money. Also, this game isn't anything like "run, run, run, point, shoot, run, run" video-game. I thought this was a good description (something along these lines): An Action/RPG lite. To those who thought there wasn't a story; a narrator NARRATES the whole story. Just listen
    Note: On my earlier review I forgot to click a "10". Whoops!
  78. Jan 26, 2013
    I liked the concept, characters, story and audio (soundtrack and voice acting) for Bastion much more than I liked it in other AAA titles. It's a simple game, but well made and carefully tuned. It's immersive and really has a way of creating an atmosphere. I found very little glitches (i think all of them were in the AI pathfinding), and the reason why I'm giving it a 9 is because the character movement and fighting are often annoying Expand
  79. Aug 25, 2012
    Bastion is one of the best games I've ever played. Its story, its narrator, its gameplay, its art, and its design are flawless. My only complaint is that the controls for PC are not the best, but that's excusable considering the game was originally designed for the Xbox Live Arcade. If you play it on a PC, you should probably use a controller. Also, I believe the game is mislabeled. It's not necessarily an RPG, really. It's definitely closer to being a pure action/adventure game. With all that being said, I would have to give this game a 10/10. There are not many perfect games out there, but I believe Bastion is one of them. It is a masterpiece. Expand
  80. Sep 24, 2012
    One of the best games i have ever played. The story is just beautiful, the gameplay is fun and the graphics are just wonderful. I really enjoyed playing this game, and i will play it a lot more often.
  81. Aug 9, 2012
    It began quite slowly, but after a while it really picks up. The weapon variety is excellent and there's a surprising amount of story besides the item hunt. I was overhyped for the narrator and wasn't too impressed by him in the end, but that might interest some people.
  82. Aug 18, 2012
    I just finished with Sleeping Dogs and i was on a rant about how immersing that game was and how others are not like it, my friend then recommended Bastion and what can i say I LOVED this game it is amazing the only problem is that it can be played through in about 3 hours, but those are 3 of the best hours I have spent with a game 9/10 because you can easily finish it in no time at all, but no matter what you should play this game. Expand
  83. Jul 7, 2014
    General Overview: A short but very captivating game with addictive game play, unique setting and wonderful story telling. The game is deceptively simple yet captivating with a great balance of narration and action, very well paced and simply a joy to play and strong reasons to experience the game again.

TL;DNR: 9: Great original concept and wonderful execution and although short is
    rewarding and addictive to play with substantial replay value to experience the "other" side of the story. My only complaint is the length of the story but is also great as an arcade style game in the side area proving grounds.

Technology/engine: 7: Very simple, clean and functional. The unfolding of the environment keeps it light weight but also provides and element of exploration value despite linear story telling.

AI: 8: a bit repetitive but challenging with frequent pace changes of actions and many new situations and variety of enemies to encounter.

Graphics: 9: Simple, attractive and unique art style that is endearing and captivating and creates a unique immersion into the unique setting.

Sound: 9: Very unique sound and good distance to source recognition that creates ambiance without being overwhelming and only plays into the soundtrack.

Soundtrack: 10: Excellent music selection that is very fitting for the title.

Voice acting: 10: The narration is fantastic and the simple device of a single talented story teller really works well here.

Crafting: N/A - more customization than crafting.

Customization: 10: You can customize the weapons to your preferred play style and it really makes a difference.

Game play systems: 10: Great action game play with lots of movement and simple controls that keep it fun and fast paced. Its hard to describe how such a simple combination of mechanics can make a game so fun and addictive.

Controls: 8: Very simple and streamlined with full reprogramming.

Story: 10: The story is what really shined for me. The narrative is well paced, well delivered and enhances what you do throughout the game with a satisfying but difficult choice at the end.

Multiplayer: N/A
  84. Apr 6, 2013
    good music, fun gameplay. my problem with the narrator is that my mother language is not english so if i want to follow everythink he says i have to focus on the narrator or subtitles, if it would be translated into other language i would enjoy it a lot more.
  85. Feb 3, 2013
    Incredible game, every time I play Indie games like this one, I really hate the big companies. So much fun, and an AMAZING sound truck. YOU MUST PLAY IT
  86. Sep 20, 2012
    Bastion is truly a masterpiece of a game.
    Though there are problems with it, all but one of these should ween off potential buyers in the demo. Firstly though i shall list all the things i find good about this game:

1) the story, this game has quite possibly the best story i have ever seen in a game, maybe not the most complex, but certainly the most superior. Whereas most modern games
    have small amounts of gameplay between cutscenes as they stuff the game's story down your throat. Bastion isn't like that, if you like that sort of game fine, just don't buy bastion and don't give it a bad review just because it isn't the game for you.

Bastion 'drip feeds' you the story, if you woke up in an apocalypse would you know what happened right off the bat due to a convenient starting cutscene? No. So should a game tell you exactly what had happened before you start? Also no. Bastion takes the same approach as portal, it will give you information and it's your job to put it all together (this is where the CoD zombies will start to dislike it). But if you do piece it together like your character would have to it becomes one of the most involving stories you will ever play, to say you start feeling for the characters would be an understatement.

2) The gameplay.
    As was mentioned earlier some people will have problems that will persuade them against buying the game from the demo. The most notable of these i the movement system, it's isometric, this is actually quite common and appears in magicka and a few other games. However you look at it Bastion is an indie game, they can't afford fancy 3d movement so they go for 2 and a half. It's, easier, cheaper and once you've gotten used to it doesn't sap the playability of the game (remember, just because a game isn't realistic doesn't mean it's a bad game, i'm looking at you CoD zombies) The second thing that might turn people away from this game is the comba system, it's not meant to be easy is the first thing i will say. If every game was easy they wouldn't get played, this is the kind of game where you might actually have to learn how to dodge attacks, or block, or use different loadouts against different foes (that is one big bit of advice there, if you keep getting stuck on a level, change your loadout). Again combat is part of the demo, so if you really don't like it the rest of the game has a lot more combat in it, so consider a different game. This is also where one of the negatives cmes in, thereis a weapon upgrade system and you keep getting new weapons, This means that by the end of it you will be OP and the challenge is more in finding out how to shoot the enemy before they see you (if you want to keep the game challenging later on, don't use the most powerful gun).

3) the music, narration and artwork
    This was the deal maker for me, the narration is truly a superb idea, this is how you get drip fed the story. The voice some thing is annoying but i truly think this voice is a rival for samuel jackson in terms of how good it is for a voice over. The narration is active, it changes based on how you play, if you fall off it mentions that, if you die it talks about that too. If you don't like the narration then you can turn it off however doing this will make the game have no story because it's the source of the story. If you truly don't like the narration then you can simply not buy the game because the narration is in the demo.

The music in bastion is also superb, all original compositions that lead to a brilliantly atmospheric game and it fits in neatly with the artwork, giving the game a sort of old fashioned feel. This does however mean that bastion is in effect 'ageless'. If a game tries for realism it will be outdone but a game that comes out a year or two after, Bastion avoids this by simply being beautifully made.

In conclusion Bastion is the kind of game others should aspire to, the seamless combination of story and gameplay, thus allowing a compelling story without as much cutscenes as actual gameplay. The existence of a demo for this game means that you can see whether the game is worth buying before you buy it (if a game for $15 can give out a free demo then the heavily commercialised games at $60 definately need to). I will now deliberately avoid buying expensive games because if there isn't a free trail or a demo, i don't know if i'll enjoy playing it. Message to anyone who happens to be developing games or works with game developers trailers are not enough to know if you'll like a game.
  87. Sep 25, 2012
    This is an amazing game with great story, the dynamic narration is really cool. Each level get gradually harder and gives you a nice challenge. Achievements are well placed and I just really like...I also really admire the fact that they ported the game with monogame and that they have recently released the code. (the NaCli aspect is particularly interesting)
  88. Sep 25, 2012
    One of the greatest game I've ever played, and I've played a lot. Being very sensitive to the atmosphere of the games I play, I was delighted when playing Bastion. The gameplay is excellent and everyone will can pick his/her style by selecting the weapons you'll yield. You can't actually finich the game 100% on the first run, which you won't mind because it will be a pleasure to beat it again. It's possible to adjust the difficulty by making the ennemies stronger or tougher. The music is great, Darren Korb really manages to set a mood. Which brings me to the story. Bastion shines like no other game thanks to its extraordinary storytelling devices : it has background, it has good characters, it has great incidental musics and the voice of Logan Cunningham. The smooth graphics really tie the whole thing up. Bastion is what gaming is about : it's a wonderful experience. Expand
  89. Oct 13, 2012
    This game is the best game I have ever played. It outdid portal, which is really saying something. The beautiful landscape as well as intense gameplay makes for an excellent game. The ending of this game is phenomenal. This game is relatively short, but that is also a reason why I love it so much. I started off playing it as someone who does not have as much interest in RPGs, now I love them.
  90. Sep 30, 2013
    A game with great story, atmosphere, and heart. I love the narrator's voice and the way he unfolds the story. The ending(s) of the game is an amazing experience that I would recommend to everyone. It drops just short of 10 because I only give that score to games that I consider very replayable. After experiencing all the different endings to Bastion I don't feel much urge to replay it.
  91. Jan 6, 2013
    Really nice indie game with good graphics and excellent narrative ! I have gone through it in 9 hours which is pretty good for the price ! I recommended it !
  92. Apr 17, 2013
    This game is a perfect example of an abstract concept well-executed. The little details sprinkled throughout the game such as artifacts, and the "Who Knows Where" reflections give so much life to the story that I was immersed. There's nothing complicated about Bastion and that's what makes it elegant. The story is, for the most part, simple and easy to follow, and focuses more on the emotional aspect. The art and soundtrack work to the games advantage here, and create a wonderful and immersive experience. The best part of Bastion is that everybody will take something different out of it. Some people will revel in the well-tuned hack and smash gameplay (side note: the game does a good job mixing up the combat system throughout the game and making the player feel powerful), some people will feel enchanted by the music and art, and others will be taken aback by the sheer emotional depth to the plot. There are just enough decisions throughout the game to make it interesting, and the quality of the ending is something all game developers should strive to emulate. I had goosebumps, if that's any indicator. Overall a spectacular game that deserves every bit of praise it gets. The primary downsides of it are that it can get a tad repetitive, depending on how often you switch up your weapons, and some players might be annoyed with one of the turns in the plot (I won't spoil anything). These faults are fairly minor though, and I had no problem cruising through this game in a state of total bliss. Very solid 9/10, Expand
  93. Apr 2, 2013
    An adorable game with an awesome concept and amazing art style. The real selling point for me however, was the narration of the story and the music. The music in this game is some of the best I have ever heard in a video game, many times I found myself just standing enjoying the track.
  94. Nov 19, 2012
    Bastion. A great game indeed. The narration was beautifully done and the music too. It's very inspiring and interesting story to tell, while the combat may be simplistic I thought it was fun to go back to those days where combat wasn't hardcore action that it is down, just a simple hack and slash like-style. I've played many games where you town was destroyed/taken away/or everyone left and you had to rebuild it, but none like this. The graphics are very cool, their not as great as the "oh so powerful Skyrim", but they are really well done. Expand
  95. Apr 6, 2013
    Bastion is a fantastic and colorful game that tells a heartwarming story. The game revolves around the narrator, a likable figure that dictates your actions and voices the game's story. He is quite unique, and unlike other narrators in games like "Thomas Was Alone" or "The Stanley Parable". I honestly can't quite explain it, you would have to play the game for yourself to see it.

The
    gameplay is fun and even though animation isn't top-notch, you barely notice it. You have the ability to level-up, gaining new weapons and powers there's also plenty of secrets about the world to discover. Bastion's combat is fairly enjoyable and although challenging, it was not frustrating.

Bastion forms around the choices you make. This includes the narration. For instance, during the beginning of the game, (if you destroy enough items) you are told the classic line: "Kid just rages for a while." Some of the other choices are more influential, of course. I was proud and happy about some of my choices, but filled with dismay over others. (And such is life.)

Overall, this is one of the best indie games of all time. It's worth all $15, but if you wait long enough you can pick it up on sale (or in an indie bundle).

Bastion is great for everyone, no matter what you like in a game.
  96. Dec 8, 2012
    An absolute triumph on all fronts. There are few games that draw me in so strongly that I cannot put it down and this is one of them. The game play is fun and the variety of weapons and their respective upgrades makes the combat challenging while still giving you an incredible amount of satisfaction. The level design is nothing short of brilliant. The appearance of the levels as you progress is a wonderful innovation that adds to the surreal environment that the developers have masterfully created. The running narrative is one of the highlights of the game. The deep, raspy voice that narrates as you play makes the game like a book you cannot put down. The well told story develops at a perfect pace and although the quests are largely similar, they rarely feel repetitive. Overall, this is a game i never cease to recommend. Gamers of all types will enjoy this beautifully presented masterpiece. The art style, music, story and game play will keep this game near the top of my best games list for a long time. Expand
  97. Dec 16, 2012
    This game is downright amazing. Beautiful soundtrack (which I have bought on itunes), amazing art style, great gameplay and one of the best stories I have ever seen in a game. From what I can see, the people who didn't like Bastion are people who seem to think the gameplay is all that matters in a game, so if you're one of those people, don't buy Bastion, and stick to call of duty or Halo. The best thing about Bastion is the story, it blends seamlessly together with everything else without compromise, and was genuinely emotional and moving, so if you have enough brains to play anything without guns of racism to middle eastern people, then I highly recommend Bastion, it's definitely worth any amount of money you pay for it. I made an account just to review this game. Expand
  98. Dec 18, 2012
    I'm not sure why i waited so long to play this game, maybe Bastion was waiting for me, either way... Soundtrack is great, Simple play, Simple upgrades, challenge modes are amazing, story-line was unique. Co-op would complete this game and its entirety. Games like this rarely come out, please take the time to save the universe, one shard at a time.
  99. Dec 20, 2012
    I was late to the party when it came to playing Bastion so I already had big expectations having heard nothing but good things. In the end I feel it lived up to these expectations. The artwork is very pleasing and the soundtrack is fantastic. The style of narration may have been branded as a gimmick but it's handled well and adds to the story. The combat has been branded as simplistic button-mashing by a few others on here but really the choice of weaponry and the unique way in which you increase the difficulty keep the game challenging for those who feel it's too straight-forward. Some people may feel it's a tad expensive but it's not the worst game you could be asked to pay a little extra for. Overall it was a very satisfying game and the ending was brilliant, kept me up late into the night because I couldn't bear waiting to finish it out. Expand
  100. Mar 20, 2014
    The game has an amazing musical score and Art style. The overall atmosphere of the game is beautiful.

This game comes off as a bit zelda-like for me.

It's got a good challenge to, and interesting story.

Recommend that everyone try it, as it is a unique experience.

1. Jan 24, 2012
    It's a highly polished, bug-free bundle of fun and at $15, it's a steal. Kudos to Supergiant Games.
    Visually stunning independent action RPG impresses you with a captivating world but will disappoint you with a dull and boring combat system. [Oct 2011]
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    Bastion hides a fun traditional gameplay under gorgeous and innovative visuals, that on the long run could come short in variety.