8.6

1. Nov 8, 2011
    The first development of the studio Supergiant Games was a success on the Xbox 360, so of course a port to PC would be a great idea. I don't own a console myself, so I can't really compare the two versions.
    The game starts out with the kid waking up to a world that is falling apart. The calamity is here. You are immediately greeted with stunning visuals. The hand painted backgrounds with their many colors combined with the somewhat chaotic feel of a world in pieces, where the ground sort of rises before your feet give the game a great atmosphere that fits the game well.
    The sound is amazing and I recommend you go buy the soundtrack. It'll be worth it. It sort of has a western theme to it.
    The most important aspect of this game is probably that it's more the telling of a story than anything else. Sure, the combat system is fun and fast paced but there isn't really much depth to it. No, the most important thing is the story and how it's told, and that's the most interesting part. The game is narrated by a stranger you meet and his voice is just godly. It's like caramel running through your ears. He gives the story a whole lot of depth as you move along in the game while commenting on your actions in a way that I've never seen done before. The stranger is a character of his own, he's not just "the voice in your head". He actually has a purpose in this story.
    If you'd like to spend a few hours on a great story then go ahead, buy this game, you won't regret it. Just don't expect too much from the gameplay.
  2. Jun 12, 2015
    SCORE: 9.3/10

A freaking masterpiece that is so under the radar for so many people. SuperGiant games has two games, and I love them both immensely (Transistor is amazing as well). The art direction, the narration as you go along, and perfect pacing, the story. Wow all around. I love that you can modify the difficulty yourself by adding small challenges to the gameplay organically via
    SCORE: 9.3/10

The art direction, the narration as you go along, and perfect pacing, the story. Wow all around. I love that you can modify the difficulty yourself by adding small challenges to the gameplay organically via idols. The weapon diversity is fabulous - like on Ratchet and Clank level greatness.

A game that should not be missed. A definitive bucket list game. You can knock it out on normal in less than 10 hours, and go New Game+ and more challenge to really dig deep in this gem.
  3. Jan 4, 2012
    Bought this game on the cheap from Steam for $5 and found it absolutely amazing. Brilliant narrative, and fun gameplay that is nothing new or innovative but is still fun.
  4. Sep 3, 2011
    Simple to play, yet deep and compelling. A wonderful storyline narrated perfectly as you play. Some of the artwork and music here is better than a great deal of A list games today.
  5. Sep 3, 2011
    Fantastic little game, great production values, incredible BSO, pretty all around, nice story. Played 20 hours on this, best 15 euros spent on videogames this year. Those idiots giving the game negative ratings without even reviewing it to explain why have probably never even played the game.
  6. Apr 30, 2012
    An achingly beautiful game. Whether you are putting on your art game hat and ranting how it truly utilizes the medium of games to do things no other genre can pull off in stunningly clever ways, marveling in a beautiful and poignant story with surprising depth, relaxing with the narrators voice (Morgan Freeman wishes he could narrator like this), appreciating one of the finest gameAn achingly beautiful game. Whether you are putting on your art game hat and ranting how it truly utilizes the medium of games to do things no other genre can pull off in stunningly clever ways, marveling in a beautiful and poignant story with surprising depth, relaxing with the narrators voice (Morgan Freeman wishes he could narrator like this), appreciating one of the finest game soundtracks ever, or even just enjoying the good old fashion hacking, slashing, and shooting, Bastion has something for you. And it has something that will stay with you long past your game session. Cons are genuinely hard to pick out. Weapon balance seems a bit off until you get a few upgrades, and I suppose it takes a while for the combat to feel as varied as a less streamlined isometric game. Perhaps a slightly larger cast of enemies would be welcome. Umm...a few of the weapon challenges feel cheap. Honestly, I probably should round up to 10.

In short, buy it. Buy the soundtrack too. Gamers, we want more of this, and we want more people who are up to making things like this.
  7. Sep 7, 2011
    This game is so good that I played through it twice back to back and each time I was sad the story ended. Beautiful music beautiful world, excellent story telling and great gameplay wraps this up as a fantastic game.
  8. Oct 22, 2011
    Beautiful game, and the best narration I've ever heard. Indie games are really coming into their own at present and this is the reason why. $15 bucks for 6-10 hours of addictive gameplay, emotive story telling and lovely artwork.

Well done indie developers, keep up the great work!
  9. Dec 26, 2012
    Ive been interested in this game for a long time, but i finally bought it in the steam sales and i was glad i did, the art and narration are fantastic and the gameplay lives upto the style, its smooth and fast paced.
    While the game is fairly short about 5-6 hours there is an harder version unlocked on completion.
    So after like 12 months of been unsure, i bought and i loved it.
  10. Aug 23, 2011
    The best Indie game so far, and i played many of 'em. If you like Action RPGs, than this is a must buy. Cool narrator, good story, many weapons and skills, and many cool new and fresh ideas. Pair that with a fantastic soundtrack and gorgeous full HD 2D graphics, and you'll get the best bang for the buck in a long time. And it has a lot of replayability too!
  11. Sep 19, 2011
    Easily the one of the best if not the best game XBLA has to offer variety of weapons and a different way of telling a story which may annoy some but to me was a nice change of pace compared to other action rpgs.
  12. Sep 23, 2011
    Everyone needs to play this game, If I had the money I would buy everyone this game. It has single handedly restored my faith in the future of gaming. All i can say is just..wow...seriously..just wow. Probably one of the greatest stories i've ever played. Everything from the narration, to the music ..my god the music..and just the epic epic story that sucks you in is just amazing. Truly aEveryone needs to play this game, If I had the money I would buy everyone this game. It has single handedly restored my faith in the future of gaming. All i can say is just..wow...seriously..just wow. Probably one of the greatest stories i've ever played. Everything from the narration, to the music ..my god the music..and just the epic epic story that sucks you in is just amazing. Truly a masterpiece where gaming meets art meets story. I actually bought the soundtrack after beating it because i was just that impressed with this game and these guys deserve every bit of my money. I'm already on my 2nd play-through just to play it again and unlock everything i missed. It really is that damn good. Expand
  13. Aug 17, 2011
    Simply put: It's an amazing game. It takes you back to when games were more about gameplay and story that just graphics (Not that the graphics are bad, mind you). In simple words, it's an amazing game that it's worthy of being added to anyone's gaming collection.
  14. Aug 24, 2011
    Simply put, Bastion is an amazing game. From it's wonderfully crafted 2D world that springs to life around you, to the compelling narrative driven story, simple yet satisfying game-play and a sound track that just feels so right, Bastion is guaranteed to provide an entertaining experience to any action RPG fan. While the game's story consists of linear missions, there's plenty ofSimply put, Bastion is an amazing game. From it's wonderfully crafted 2D world that springs to life around you, to the compelling narrative driven story, simple yet satisfying game-play and a sound track that just feels so right, Bastion is guaranteed to provide an entertaining experience to any action RPG fan. While the game's story consists of linear missions, there's plenty of customisation with the game's weapon and skill system, along with optional distractions such as weapons training courses and a flash-back mode to get extra bits and pieces of the story. With it's modest $15 price tag, Bastion is difficult not to recommend, and with a demo available there's little reason not to try it! Expand
  15. Aug 31, 2011
    Maybe someday developers will learn that making games look good and sound good is not enough to make them be good. This game plays like something from the deep dark past of gaming hell. It is really a shooter not an rpg.
  16. Aug 17, 2011
    For an Indie game i purchased on a whim that i expected to be childish junk, this game totally blew me away. As a linear RPG with an interesting twist through its narration it was surprisingly fun, and challenging. The game offers tons of ways to customize your play through experience from choosing weapons, customizing the weapons in different ways, upgrading them and your town. ChoosingFor an Indie game i purchased on a whim that i expected to be childish junk, this game totally blew me away. As a linear RPG with an interesting twist through its narration it was surprisingly fun, and challenging. The game offers tons of ways to customize your play through experience from choosing weapons, customizing the weapons in different ways, upgrading them and your town. Choosing special abilities and perks for your characters and offering a TON of different ways to make each level you enter different through bonus's and challenges you unlock in the game. Super fun, super classy, this is a game you wont regret buying. Expand
  17. Sep 11, 2011
    This is one of the best recent games at a bargain price. It's a low budget Indie game, so I actually added a point to account for the value of the game compared to the price. The game itself has a fairly standard action RPG format, but is surprisingly polished, and adds a couple of things that you won't see in other games. One of those is the narration, which is pervasive throughout theThis is one of the best recent games at a bargain price. It's a low budget Indie game, so I actually added a point to account for the value of the game compared to the price. The game itself has a fairly standard action RPG format, but is surprisingly polished, and adds a couple of things that you won't see in other games. One of those is the narration, which is pervasive throughout the game. I never thought it was out of place or annoying. It just adds flavor to the game. Another interesting thing they did was allow you to change the difficulty on a piece by piece basis. In the shrine building, you can make monsters have more health or do more damage and a whole bunch of other things, and in exchange you get more experience and more money for your added trouble. I don't think the game has a ton of replay value, but it's a decent game for a bargain basement price. Expand
  18. Oct 16, 2011
    I originally got this game because I just bought a new 1080p pc monitor and wanted play something with vivid colors to awe at and feel good about my two hundred dollar purchase. What I was left with after graphical gloating was a great story, superior gameplay, a mysterious world and more gloating at its amazing artstyle. When I played Bastion, I always had the feeling I was "creating"I originally got this game because I just bought a new 1080p pc monitor and wanted play something with vivid colors to awe at and feel good about my two hundred dollar purchase. What I was left with after graphical gloating was a great story, superior gameplay, a mysterious world and more gloating at its amazing artstyle. When I played Bastion, I always had the feeling I was "creating" the world because of how it builds up under your feet. I also felt this way because the game throws you into a seemingly hopeless universe as an all powerful hope to save against nothingness... and you do this by destroying every non human living thing you come in contact with. By the end of my experience I really just wanted to play it again on the hardest difficulty, not only to test my skill but to replay all the cool levels that make up this beautiful game. Perfect in everything it has set out to be, anyone who has 8 (first play) to 16 hours to kill should get this. Expand
  19. Feb 25, 2013
    as close to perfect as you will get in this generation. a great story; enough choices with weapons and with the story goes. And the original soundtrack pushes it over the edge.

You can get it dirt cheap anywhere and it's well worth the money.
  20. Sep 11, 2011
    Bastion is an amazing game, filled with colorful art and a sexy narration that tells the story as you play as oppose to ripping the camera and controls from you so you can watch a 5 minute cut scene. I would love to play another game with this guy as a lead voice. Music for the game is also very good and fitting for this kind of game, somewhat somber at times.The game play is pretty fastBastion is an amazing game, filled with colorful art and a sexy narration that tells the story as you play as oppose to ripping the camera and controls from you so you can watch a 5 minute cut scene. I would love to play another game with this guy as a lead voice. Music for the game is also very good and fitting for this kind of game, somewhat somber at times.The game play is pretty fast pace and excellent, though has it's short falls. One of them is that you are given too many weapons, Unless you plan on experimenting with the weapon load-out, You will usually stick with what works for you. Same with secret skills, which I hardly ever used while playing. Overall, an amazing game that opens up for you the more you play. 9 out of 10 for this excellent indie game. Expand
  21. Jun 10, 2012
    You're probably going to either adore or loathe this game, solely depending on whether or not you like the Narrator's voice. I love it, but some people find it grating. Watch a few gameplay videos to see which camp you fall into.

The game itself is great fun to play. There's a very extensive and well-balanced arsenal of weapons to choose from, with none feeling over or underpowered and each having many upgrade choices. The visuals are great and the soundtrack is beautiful, eerie, haunting and simply fantastic. The story is fairly short, only taking a few hours to complete, but the inclusion of the new game+ option adds some replay value, and the gods/idols system allows you to customise the difficulty with ease. I really can't recommend this game highly enough.
  22. stv
    Sep 3, 2011
    One of the most enjoyable games of all time and most certainly the most enjoyable downloadable game ever. Kudos to Supergiant Games. Keep up the god work!
  23. Jun 24, 2012
    I loved everything about this game (the gorgeous art style, the gameplay mechanics, the replayability, the story, etc.), except for one thing: The narrator's voice.
    I guess there are many people who romanticize the south. Where men are still men and you can still shoot black people and put homosexuals in jail for being homosexual without many getting upset about it. I for one find that part of the world simply awful. I'm sure there are exceptions to the overall scheme I just described but as Dr. Cox says in Scrubs "When you hear hoof beats, assume horses, not zebras". And that's why I'm on the contrary repulsed whenever hearing southern accent.
  24. Sep 18, 2011
    The Good:
    - Some of the best and atmospheric musics out of any video games ever
    - Beautiful arts and graphics - Narrator-system increases immersion; or sometimes just cracks you up - Myriad of choices of weapons, secret skills, playing-styles, buildings to build, to make sure you're never bored - Original world and lore - One of the most memorable ending in an RPG The Bad - Takes quite a
    The Good:
    - Some of the best and atmospheric musics out of any video games ever
    - Beautiful arts and graphics
    - Narrator-system increases immersion; or sometimes just cracks you up
    - Original world and lore
    - One of the most memorable ending in an RPG

The Bad
    - Takes quite a while to feel like a great game. The opening and initial hours felt mediocre
    - Even though art is beautiful, special effects that are too simplistic might shy some gamers away
    - Combat system a bit boring
  25. Jul 21, 2013
    Truly an awesome game, from the confusing but complex lore to the surprisingly exception soundtrack for an indie game. Most harp about the combat being boring, but try turning all the shrines on and you'll see how difficult and challenging the game can get.
  26. Jul 7, 2012
    Fluid and addicting game-play, great story with wonderful presentation, amazing graphics and style, awesome soundtrack, lots of innovative and great ideas. Simply put, this game is amazing.
  27. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is easily in my top 5 games for 2011. The gameplay, narration, and music are all brilliant. The game is absolutely beautiful and I think it proves that you don't need to push hardware to make a visually stunning game. It is such an enjoyable game, do yourself a favor and buy it. Can't wait to see what these guys do next.
  28. Jan 3, 2012
    I keep trying to find words to describe this game, but it's so hard when it's so good... It has amazing gameplay, but I would say that the story is it's best trait. The narration, the atmosphere, and although I won't spoil anything, the story just keeps going strong throughout the entire game, building up, and finishing brilliantly. There are even weapon challenges beyond the mainI keep trying to find words to describe this game, but it's so hard when it's so good... It has amazing gameplay, but I would say that the story is it's best trait. The narration, the atmosphere, and although I won't spoil anything, the story just keeps going strong throughout the entire game, building up, and finishing brilliantly. There are even weapon challenges beyond the main storyline which are insanely hard. I don't think I beat many of them at all, and I think I only fully completed one easy one. Expand
  29. Nov 17, 2011
    I liked this game very much. The graphics, the music and the storytelling are amazing! As it is very cheap, it makes up for its somewhat shortness (about 8 hours), but I cannot give it 10 as it does not bring enough for multiple playthroughs, other than the opportunity to upgrade everything and take it up on a harder level (as I tried, but there were not that much to it really). It isI liked this game very much. The graphics, the music and the storytelling are amazing! As it is very cheap, it makes up for its somewhat shortness (about 8 hours), but I cannot give it 10 as it does not bring enough for multiple playthroughs, other than the opportunity to upgrade everything and take it up on a harder level (as I tried, but there were not that much to it really). It is still a game I recommend to every gamer who seeks something different now and then. Expand
  30. Aug 29, 2011
    The best game I have ever played. I'm honest. It's stunning how such a small developer team can deliver such an excellent game. It is more than a game, it's an experience you can't get out of the head. The gameplay, the visuals and the sound- especially the music- are amazing.

Buy this. If somebody told you to buy another game: Buy this first. Because no demo and no gameplay video can express how good this game is.

1. Jan 24, 2012
    It's a highly polished, bug-free bundle of fun and at $15, it's a steal. Kudos to Supergiant Games.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 30, 2011
    Visually stunning independent action RPG impresses you with a captivating world but will disappoint you with a dull and boring combat system. [Oct 2011]
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    Bastion hides a fun traditional gameplay under gorgeous and innovative visuals, that on the long run could come short in variety.