8.6

1. Nov 25, 2011
    They delayed the pc version for 5 weeks claiming to be making it better. That was 100% a direct lie. The game was compiled in September and not a single file was updated or ever changed. It was completed at the same time as the console version but they wanted to milk that first. They knew many people would be impatient and get for the console and then buy the pc version later. They alsoThey delayed the pc version for 5 weeks claiming to be making it better. That was 100% a direct lie. The game was compiled in September and not a single file was updated or ever changed. It was completed at the same time as the console version but they wanted to milk that first. They knew many people would be impatient and get for the console and then buy the pc version later. They also knew many people got the game for free with Nvidia cards and would buy it for their console with the pc version being delayed. Not only was the game never worked on in those 5 weeks, its clear not one single person at Rocksteady even play tested the game in DX11. All it takes is ONE minute of gameplay to know that DX11 has major issues. Gpu usage just plummets in areas where it should go up so that results in huge framerate drops and hitching. It is not playable in DX11 or at least not in an enjoyable way. DX9 seems okay for the most part but physx does not seem to be running as well as it should be. The cut scenes are pretty stuttery looking with audio a bit out of sync in them too even though indicated framerate is at 60 fps. And many people, including myself, have had a few crashes too even in DX9. Other than all that the gameplay is pretty good. Still its hard to give the game a good score based on the overall situation that Rocksteady has placed the pc gamers in. Expand
  2. Nov 22, 2011
    Useless buggy unoptimized console port... Rocksteady have really dropped the ball with this release. If you run it with DX11 you will get massive frame drops and lag despite the game being delayed specifically to add it. Plus you get the usual SecuROM with five activation limit that no-one at Rocksteady or WB could even be bothered telling us about. This release is so botched these jokersUseless buggy unoptimized console port... Rocksteady have really dropped the ball with this release. If you run it with DX11 you will get massive frame drops and lag despite the game being delayed specifically to add it. Plus you get the usual SecuROM with five activation limit that no-one at Rocksteady or WB could even be bothered telling us about. This release is so botched these jokers don't deserve your money, rent the game for a console instead. Expand
  3. Jul
    Nov 24, 2011
    When architects build structures, the first and most important aspect of their work is the stability of the building. If the building collapses, everything else that has been done afterwards is useless. This is pretty much what happens with this game. It's currently plagued by countless issues that I won't bother to describe, as they are very much exposed by everyone here and if you googleWhen architects build structures, the first and most important aspect of their work is the stability of the building. If the building collapses, everything else that has been done afterwards is useless. This is pretty much what happens with this game. It's currently plagued by countless issues that I won't bother to describe, as they are very much exposed by everyone here and if you google just a bit.

I have really lost my respect to a company that I thought was going to be a great success. I was more than happy to pre-order without hesitating, but now, I think I'll just pass on all subsequent games. Something this broken is just unacceptable.
  4. Nov 24, 2011
    lets see where to begin...
    i cant save my game for 1 thing so i guess ill be beginning a whole lot...
    the performance is worse in the cutscenes than it is in game, and it is really not very good in-game. the multiple delays CLEARLY were nothing to do with improving performance and my bet it was for no reason other than to add the 3 layers of b/s protection to the game. the gameplay is
    lets see where to begin...
    i cant save my game for 1 thing so i guess ill be beginning a whole lot...
    the gameplay is pretty repetitive (though you try starting the same game over 5+ times and see how much variety YOU see) and honestly it feels like dx11 does nothing for it at all.

i loved AA, i really like batman in general, and i do enjoy a good beat em up, but there is no way i can imagine anyone saying the pc version of this game is NOT **** i got it free with my gtx 580 and i STILL feel i got ripped off.
  5. Dec 6, 2011
    PC Gaming has really fallen from grace. The game crashes within 5 minutes of play on any setting and the crazy amount of anti-piracy software they force on the people that actually bought this game has done absolutely nothing but piss off paying customers.
  6. Nov 26, 2011
    Well, to be honest, this game wins in my personal "disappointment of the year" nomination. It's just a mediocre console port. Gameplay is really boring and involves mashing of two gamepad's buttons. (Yes, I played the game using gamepad, because keyboard controls are horrible.) Unreal engine looks more or less good , sound is weak, gameplay is boring and repetitive. Sorry, Bats, but you doWell, to be honest, this game wins in my personal "disappointment of the year" nomination. It's just a mediocre console port. Gameplay is really boring and involves mashing of two gamepad's buttons. (Yes, I played the game using gamepad, because keyboard controls are horrible.) Unreal engine looks more or less good , sound is weak, gameplay is boring and repetitive. Sorry, Bats, but you do not deserve more than 3. Expand
  7. Nov 25, 2011
    Do not waste your time or money. Terrible game, especially given the hype, This game is worth maybe 10-12 bucks, Controls are ok for a console port the usual crap camera options, Gameplay is linear and repetitive, especially when you cant save a game. Graphics are subpar, voice acting is fair except the mouth movements do not match what is being spoken. Securom plus windows live - itsDo not waste your time or money. Terrible game, especially given the hype, This game is worth maybe 10-12 bucks, Controls are ok for a console port the usual crap camera options, Gameplay is linear and repetitive, especially when you cant save a game. Graphics are subpar, voice acting is fair except the mouth movements do not match what is being spoken. Securom plus windows live - its almost like the don't want people to play the game. Plot and storyline along with the acting is total joke, everything is needlessly contrived. And a theme park with the same set of generic bad guys to kill scattered throughout is not an open world. Combat is boring as hell, involves spamming attack and clicking 2-3 other buttons when your prompted to block or use a combo move. Expand
  8. Nov 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Horrible console port. The game looks OK in DX9. DX11 doesn't work at all. The controls are terrible - its impossible to get past the guys with shields playing with the keyboard . I wasted 30 minutes activating it and then it was crashing every 15 minutes. My drivers were from July 2011. Then I installed the latest Nvidia drivers, those with the Batman: Akrham city ad on them and the game got more stable, but still has crashes. Expand
  9. Dec 21, 2011
    Horrible performance, decent action, but not as good as assassin's creed, or devil may cry. Good graphics, but not the best I have seen. Best part of the game is the story, but that's over in like 5 hours, and then they expect you to collect a million joker trophies, and do side missions to experience the rest of the game. The game play is not deep enough to support a bunch of sideHorrible performance, decent action, but not as good as assassin's creed, or devil may cry. Good graphics, but not the best I have seen. Best part of the game is the story, but that's over in like 5 hours, and then they expect you to collect a million joker trophies, and do side missions to experience the rest of the game. The game play is not deep enough to support a bunch of side missions, so once the main story is over there is no point. Arkham Asylum had no side missions, and a well developed long story, so in my book it was a lot more entertaining. I really thought this would be one to write home about, and the positive reviews had me convinced, but I think people are taken in by the fact that its Batman. I love Batman, but this game is just too boring. The combat system is very simple, and requires you to do 2 or 3 moves over and over again. I would have rated it a little higher, but the game is barely playable on my Core i7, gtx580, 8GB machine, so I have the feeling that they didn't really want PC gamers to play it. Expand
  10. Dec 3, 2011
    ARRRGGGHHH!!! About 10 crashes in less than 2 hours of game play!....And this was me trying to play the DX9 version - yes the framerates fine but what about the crashes every minute! It's simply not playable I've tried, god I've tried... it doesn't metter how good this game is underneath all of the bugs cos if I can't play it, then its worthless - I really loved Asylum, I was lookingARRRGGGHHH!!! About 10 crashes in less than 2 hours of game play!....And this was me trying to play the DX9 version - yes the framerates fine but what about the crashes every minute! It's simply not playable I've tried, god I've tried... it doesn't metter how good this game is underneath all of the bugs cos if I can't play it, then its worthless - I really loved Asylum, I was looking forward to this. I think Rocksteady made a big mistake on this they should have delayed it further - simply in its current state its not worth it Expand
  11. Dec 31, 2011
    It randomly erases your save games (and encrypts them so you can't make backups!), the performance in DirectX 11 is terrible, it uses "Games for Windows Live" which is this thing that doesn't really do anything but forces you to log in to some system and restarts your game and crashes basically, and this is a port that was released months after the console version. The actual game isIt randomly erases your save games (and encrypts them so you can't make backups!), the performance in DirectX 11 is terrible, it uses "Games for Windows Live" which is this thing that doesn't really do anything but forces you to log in to some system and restarts your game and crashes basically, and this is a port that was released months after the console version. The actual game is pretty decent, it's basically Akrham Asylum but over a larger area and with more batman villains. But the technical problems are inexcusable, if you really can't resist the urge to play it please just pirate it instead of making the mistake of buying it like I did. Expand
  12. Dec 26, 2011
    This is one horrible port, the grafics are oke but what i dont get at all is why Rocksteady didn even took their time to make some controle options, i mean what did Rocksteady do those 5 weeks? Apart form beefing up their security. Well its their reputation i guess. I know im not gone be so easly tricked in buying games from rocksteady anymore that for sure.
  13. Jan 21, 2012
    I can't believe i find myself giving this game a four, I eagerly awaited the release of this game like many other fans of Arkham Asylum. The first negative thing i noticed was the horizon scattered with in-numerous Riddler signs. I loved getting the Riddler arrested in Arkham city don't get me wrong, but in this game the frustration that is caused by time wasted trying to solve trophiesI can't believe i find myself giving this game a four, I eagerly awaited the release of this game like many other fans of Arkham Asylum. The first negative thing i noticed was the horizon scattered with in-numerous Riddler signs. I loved getting the Riddler arrested in Arkham city don't get me wrong, but in this game the frustration that is caused by time wasted trying to solve trophies that require a special gadget wasted plenty of time. A lot of the reasons for being disappointed with Arkham City i cannot recall however i assure you it is a disappointment. FYI i loved the idea of a large scale city map for the Arkham franchise and i still found this disappointing. Expand
  14. Mar 6, 2013
    Games for Windows Live totally ruined the experience for me. Just wanted to try the game that I got with my GPU and no it wont work. Had to enter my CD-key 3 times, the game crashed 2 times while trying to create a profile, could not save without updating "Games for Windows Live" etc... terrible DRM.
  15. Sep 10, 2012
    Here I'm not rating a "game" 'cause there is no such thing in "Arkham City". This is merely a "software", not even entertaining, which suffers from performance issues, multiple bugs, glitches, and so on. Not to mention this is yet another console port, flawed as a console port can be. To give you figures, if you want to judge by yourself : I have an Intel Core i7, along with 12GB DDR3Here I'm not rating a "game" 'cause there is no such thing in "Arkham City". This is merely a "software", not even entertaining, which suffers from performance issues, multiple bugs, glitches, and so on. Not to mention this is yet another console port, flawed as a console port can be. To give you figures, if you want to judge by yourself : I have an Intel Core i7, along with 12GB DDR3 Corsair, an ATI Saphire 6950 HD; on an Asus ROG motherboard. This is powered by a corsair power supply. So it gives me a reliable, fast and efficient gaming system. hmm, well... not for THIS "game" however. I've had severe lags at some PRECISE parts of the game only (multiple ones, not isolated cases, unfortunately). Specifically while cut-scenes.

Besides, the "game" itself has consistency and balance problems; as the gameplay has been designed by a some people able to move one finger only (fight is a "push button, receive beacon" action, which has to be timed), and its programming has obviously be done by some inexperienced code-monkey : these timed events don't even work all the times : I have, multiple times, tried to hammer (Y) while the timed-event indicator didn't disappear, and Batman finally got beaten up while I tried to make him counter. How lame.

So, while it's a shame that so many games are designed for CONSOLES before getting designed for PCs (even Deus Ex 3, which is a sequel of one of the best PC game ever...), I'd recommend you a TON of other games instead of this particular one. If you really want to play it, save your money, and go see a full walk-through of the game on youtube.
  16. Jan 30, 2012
    The game was pretty sweet. It felt like a direct sequel and didnt stray far away from what it was doing in the original. I can't rate it too high because it includes the singleplayer DLC code that takes away the catwoman portion of the game if you don't have it. Publishers should not have to force us to use dlc codes to access content we pay 60$ for. Going to suggest we pass on this gameThe game was pretty sweet. It felt like a direct sequel and didnt stray far away from what it was doing in the original. I can't rate it too high because it includes the singleplayer DLC code that takes away the catwoman portion of the game if you don't have it. Publishers should not have to force us to use dlc codes to access content we pay 60$ for. Going to suggest we pass on this game because of this flaw. Expand
  17. Mar 28, 2013
    GFWL entering the game key several times poor controller support no way to restore your saved game files if you reinstall windows. This is a good game but it comes with too many unnecessary DRM crap, starting with GFWL. This game was deliberately designed to lesson the PC gamer experience. The same as Batman AA. I thought I done my best to know if this game did not use that horribleGFWL entering the game key several times poor controller support no way to restore your saved game files if you reinstall windows. This is a good game but it comes with too many unnecessary DRM crap, starting with GFWL. This game was deliberately designed to lesson the PC gamer experience. The same as Batman AA. I thought I done my best to know if this game did not use that horrible GFWL so I added to my Steam wishlist and someone gifted it to me. Then I found out that it does use gfwl crap, too late. Expand
  18. Jun 15, 2012
    **** devs even put a 15 minute timer on the demo to prevent all the faults of this game from being noticed. Crappy game, poor coding, laggy, feels like you keep fighting rag dolls that just absorb insane amounts of damage and just keep getting back up. Absolute no buy from me. Any dev that pulls this kind of nonsense isn't worth giving a single cent to.
  19. Jul 26, 2013
    Terrible performance, slow loading, clunky steering. The riddles involving a specific frequency on the sequencer are impossibly frustrating with a mouse. Not a fun experience. Add to that the GFWL...
  20. Jan 2, 2013
    I willl never buy another WB game again terrible console port, framerate issues, bugs, DRM and limited installations what ????!!!!???.........never again.
  21. Oct 4, 2014
    Terrible field of view which has not been upgraded from the console made it unplayable for me. I game on a PC because I cannot stand to play any game with a perspective that feels like I am trying to watch the action through a slot designed to post mail through.

Clearly a lot of effort went into this but they failed to deal with the most important issue rendering all the effort ultimately pointless. I don't buy games on a PC to be experience games with limitations imposed by console hardware.

Apart from that I found the combat very dull indeed. I know these games are all very much reskins of the same thing when it comes to combat but this compares very badly even with similar games such as Shadows of Mordor which has far more immersive combat despite essentially being a similar console trype RPG lite formula.

Extremely poor and a good example of why PCs are currently coming back into vogue. Got this for 5 Euros in a Steam sale or I wouldn't have bothered and it wasn't even worth that.

Very cinematic and probably more aimed at real batman fans. Some good voice over work, character development and the usual upgrades on console graphics but still a poor port as it was ultimately unplayable for me.
  22. Jan 1, 2012
    I was waiting for this game for so long after enjoying Arkham Asylum on my PC. What a mess that was released though. The game would be great if I can play it "the way it was meant to be played" For once, I want to buy a game without the need for endless patches just to fix problems that shouldn't exist in the first place.
  23. Apr 4, 2012
    After playing the game for about three hours, i finaly came to the point where i just couldent be bothered to keep going. Where the story in AA captivated me and kept me going this game does an terrible job of trying to keep me interested in whats going on. The now "five times larger world" of AC is just a bland, boring questhub where one just jumps from rooftop to rooftop and notAfter playing the game for about three hours, i finaly came to the point where i just couldent be bothered to keep going. Where the story in AA captivated me and kept me going this game does an terrible job of trying to keep me interested in whats going on. The now "five times larger world" of AC is just a bland, boring questhub where one just jumps from rooftop to rooftop and not connecting with the enviornments at all. Shure there are lots stuff to do, if your an "achievementwhore" but for a gamer like me who couldent care less about the riddlers small trophys or the "who-can-name-who-of-batman-lore" sidequests the sandbox questhub is just cumbersome. Even the fighting is bland compared to the previous game, in AA the combat felt really powerful, when i hit someone it felt like it hurt. Here i just smack them around some and dont really feel any impact what so ever. Im glad i got the game for free when i bought my GTX 580 some months ago, if i had payed money for this Fable 3 version of Batman i would be as angry as two-face. Expand
  24. Feb 24, 2014
    Simply horrible, linear to the extreme, just horrible experience.
    Extremely "stupidified" gameplay for non demanding players.
    This is the most disappointing game I had ever played.
  25. Sep 10, 2012

Though the ending is surprising, in a way, the story isn't the main focus of Batman: Arkham City. Exploring and adventuring come first, you have so much to do that you that the hours just slip by you. Yes, the boss fights are probably too easy, the narrative too short, the framerate goes down on occasion and not all the players will appreciate searching through every nook and cranny to find trophies. But it's all up to you and Arkham City offers a variety that not a lot of new games have nowadays.
    The developers should be proud for Arkham City and its precise portrayal of Gotham's mood- at least accordingly to recent films and comic books. A gothic atmosphere is undoubtedly dominant, as the majestic architecture of neoclassical buildings shadows the industrialization and the bright lights of a contemporary metropolis.
    It's hard to create an extraordinary game but to recognize it is quite simple. Arkham City with its cinematic appearance towers high above the rest with its production values. [Dec 2011]