8.6

1. Jan 7, 2012
    From what I've played so far, (I have to admit, I have not yet beaten the game), this is hands down the game of the year for me... I loved arkham assylum, and this game took everything that made arkham assylum epic, and made it about 10 times better. Most games I buy at full retail price these days usually leave me feeling robbed, but I definitly feel I got my money's worth with this epicFrom what I've played so far, (I have to admit, I have not yet beaten the game), this is hands down the game of the year for me... I loved arkham assylum, and this game took everything that made arkham assylum epic, and made it about 10 times better. Most games I buy at full retail price these days usually leave me feeling robbed, but I definitly feel I got my money's worth with this epic title!

The average user score for this game at the minute is 7.6 which astounds me.... I understand that maybe the game wasnt released fully stable and I guess the devs only have themselves to blame for that one really.... But I'm going to give it a 10 to make up for this unfair score, because as the game stands in all it's glory now, it's as damn close to a 10 as games can get!
  2. Dec 22, 2012
    Simply put this game is GREAT. First, the main story line is tight and well-written and I can safely say it would suck you in for very enjoyable 10 to 12 hours time. Several notable villains in Batman universe made appearance in the main game and I am surprised how well the devs put them together to form such an epic story. Kudos to B:AC's writer! Gameply is pretty much the same as BAA's,Simply put this game is GREAT. First, the main story line is tight and well-written and I can safely say it would suck you in for very enjoyable 10 to 12 hours time. Several notable villains in Batman universe made appearance in the main game and I am surprised how well the devs put them together to form such an epic story. Kudos to B:AC's writer! Gameply is pretty much the same as BAA's, but this time you will have a small chunk of Catwoman's story in the main game and also you can use Catwoman to explore the Arkham city. Another major improvement is that there are more fun bat gadgets in this game which allows more variations for gameplay. The game feels much bigger than BAA since it not only had a large city to freely explore but also had a series of side quest lines. That is to say, you will have a lot of stuff to do after beating the main game or test your skills in various ranked or campaign maps. I would give the game a 10 by itself, but this game had a serious problem. I had a computer crash during the game. After the reboot, I found my save file corrupted, then I had to restart the campaign. At last, one miner warning: do not turn dx11 features on if you do not have a high-end computer. Final Verdict: 9/10 Expand
  3. Jan 11, 2012
    Wow! i played Crysis warhead and Crysis2 ,METRO2033, host of other games as well, the batman series is great, for me both batman games were fun as hell, but i have to say you really need a heavy duty rig, play at max setting with physx at high setting , thats the only con for me , really i got my bang for the buck, steam $ 24 , played 50plus hours ,going the second timeWow! i played Crysis warhead and Crysis2 ,METRO2033, host of other games as well, the batman series is great, for me both batman games were fun as hell, but i have to say you really need a heavy duty rig, play at max setting with physx at high setting , thats the only con for me , really i got my bang for the buck, steam $ 24 , played 50plus hours ,going the second time around with all the weapons is even more fun, SIDE NOTE about physx , if you have two gtx 470 like me , benchmarks will be low using sli , i use one card for physx only , benchmarks will go up, future drivers will address this profile, as they did with metro2033 , also about BM engine, i change the smooth framerate from 62 to 150 fps ,there is two settings,one for steam and batman ,that all for now. Expand
  4. Jan 9, 2012
    must say i started playing this game only after the dirextX 11 patch came out so i have no experience with the bugs people are mentioning in their reviews. regardless this is one of the most brilliant games i have ever played! superb story! the combat sequences are even finer than akham asylum!
  5. Aug 17, 2012
    I myself did not found any problem in PC version. game play fine with KB. This is one of the finest game in this gen. Batman AC blend Batman's character and balanced gameplay perfectly. Most open world may suffered from shallow gameplay but this game is not, level design is intelligent and progressively reasonable. All part of the game, battle, exploration, platforming and puzzle are allI myself did not found any problem in PC version. game play fine with KB. This is one of the finest game in this gen. Batman AC blend Batman's character and balanced gameplay perfectly. Most open world may suffered from shallow gameplay but this game is not, level design is intelligent and progressively reasonable. All part of the game, battle, exploration, platforming and puzzle are all great. Story progressive and presentation are equally great. Expand
  6. Jan 2, 2012
    This is one of the most fun games that I have ever played. I already own Arkham Asylum and I wasn't impressed. Yet, I decided to try one more time, and I was glad that I did. The story line was easier to follow and more detailed; e.g., emphasis on Batman's brooding nature. The weapons were easier to use, and the numerous fights seemed to be more exciting. Best of all, the graphics wereThis is one of the most fun games that I have ever played. I already own Arkham Asylum and I wasn't impressed. Yet, I decided to try one more time, and I was glad that I did. The story line was easier to follow and more detailed; e.g., emphasis on Batman's brooding nature. The weapons were easier to use, and the numerous fights seemed to be more exciting. Best of all, the graphics were unbelievable! I actually had some feelings of vertigo when Batman was walking on posts at the tops of skyscrapers. Overall, I recommend this game highly, even though i prefer shooters. Expand
  7. Aug 2, 2012
    This game is simply AWESOME !
    If you played Arkham Asylym and loved it, you'll be ecstatic with Arkham City, because everything just got better.
    You just can't help feeling totally badass when playing as The Dark Knight, beating up common criminals and the occasional evil mastermind. Lots of fighting, lots of gadgets, lots of riddles in a spectacular graphic experience. Once you get
    This game is simply AWESOME !
    Once you get going, it's hard to put down.

And they even made Batman's sidekick Robin somewhat badass - not the typical gay whimp we're used to from early comics, movies and TV series.
    You can play As Batman (of course) and Catwoman, and Robin and Nightwing in a DLC installment. Each with their own special moves and abilities.

You'll be cheating yourself from a great gaming experience by not getting it.
  8. Jan 10, 2012
    "Let's create a Batman: Arkham Asylum sequel but bigger, much bigger". More gadgets, more enemies, more secondary quests, more ketchup. Still an outstanding game but plot and exploration needs more work, just like AA.
  9. Jan 12, 2012
    Batman: Arkhan City supplies an incredible gaming experience. It is a drastic improvement on its impressive predecessor, Arkham Asylum. The visuals are stunning and the gameplay environment is rich and detailed. Even gamers like myself who have yet to read a single Batman comic will find many hours of enjoyment and dynamic gameplay with this title. It also has very good replay value. Iâ
  10. Aug 19, 2012
    Luxury game. One problem is perfomance: All DirectX11 beauties had to be turned off due to the constant lag. Graphics, atmosphere, combat, storytelling, sound and voice, endless content and insane attention to detail. Rocksteady nailed it. Not being an expert nor fan of Batman universe, I admire the work.
  11. Nov 20, 2012
    Really good game, only drawback is the DRM required to play it. Combat can also get boring unless you do combos. Haven't encountered any glitches, personally.
  12. Oct 3, 2012
    Sin duda alguna el mejor juego de superheroe de todos los tiempos, diversión constante, una jugabilidad impecable y grandes gráficos, aprovechando el buen hardware de un ordenador actual...
  13. Oct 16, 2013
    How do you make Arkham Asylum even better? How about throw in an open world and even more progression and another, high grade captivating storyline. Just fantastic.
  14. Jul 28, 2012
    Greatest. Game. Ever. I picked this up on Steam for 15 dollars and when I was done I felt truly guilty that I underpaid for this masterpiece. I wanted to send Rocksteady Studios more money but settled for buying all of the DLC for it (also on a Steam sale). You will not find a better use for your gaming dollar than this game. I've logged almost 90 hours on it so far and I'm stillGreatest. Game. Ever. I picked this up on Steam for 15 dollars and when I was done I felt truly guilty that I underpaid for this masterpiece. I wanted to send Rocksteady Studios more money but settled for buying all of the DLC for it (also on a Steam sale). You will not find a better use for your gaming dollar than this game. I've logged almost 90 hours on it so far and I'm still having fun. It's stuffed to the gills with character upgrades, unlockables, side quests, character skins, and game modes. Literally a love letter to the sandbox genre, Batman: Arkham City learns from the mistakes of GTA IV and others to put together a title that would be worth 120 bucks, easily. A rare game indeed, even if you don't like comic books, or sandbox gaming, or good games in general, you must at least get this at the next Steam sale. I must play some more . . . Expand
  15. Jan 5, 2012
    what i say, the game is really good honestly it's fantastic maybe is the best game of 2011. It's varied of any aspect. Have a action, stealth moment (who like me very much), many gadgets and many different scums who you beat by many ways :D, good story and much much bigger than first game. Play the game you don't regret.
  16. Jan 29, 2013
    Great Game good combat mechanics and just an all round great game you wont be dissapointed, When you start playing you start to develop the full batman persona. You might experience some lag in major fight scenes.
  17. Jan 3, 2012
    A massive improvement on the original Arkham City. This time you have so much more to do and see, but the game hasn't lost the playability and authenticity of the original. I've bought and played several top titles in 2011 and Arkham City was a Xmas present, so it had a lot of competition in my mind. However, I cannot stop playing the game - soundtrack, graphics, atmosphere, challenges,A massive improvement on the original Arkham City. This time you have so much more to do and see, but the game hasn't lost the playability and authenticity of the original. I've bought and played several top titles in 2011 and Arkham City was a Xmas present, so it had a lot of competition in my mind. However, I cannot stop playing the game - soundtrack, graphics, atmosphere, challenges, voice-acting - all top-notch. There's just one thing that I personally don't like though - so far I'm half way through the game and there's been no sign of any vehicles to play with. All of the combat so far as been based on stealthy tactics or punch ups. There's pockets of goons absolutely everywhere to have fun with, and there are some good/excellent fun boss fights, but I'd like to see more variety in the combat options, so think that vehicles would be good. Well, maybe I'll find some later on .. Expand
  18. Dec 31, 2011
    This game is stupendous. While it was a month late among other problems I am here to review the game, not the developers handling of it. The game is great in nearly all regards. voice acting: check. Story: check. Gameplay: check. Replay value: check. length: check. Appearance: check. All great. I'll start in detail with the voice acting. All the characters are memorable and soundThis game is stupendous. While it was a month late among other problems I am here to review the game, not the developers handling of it. The game is great in nearly all regards. voice acting: check. Story: check. Gameplay: check. Replay value: check. length: check. Appearance: check. All great. I'll start in detail with the voice acting. All the characters are memorable and sound just as they should. Even the lowly thugs who in most games would have absolutely no characterization have a variety of things to say throughout the game, and I more then once found myself laughing at their dialogue. The story may have been the weakest part of the game (Don't get me wrong it was great). The twists it takes and the way it handles so many villains is very impressive. It simply had a few lost opportunities. The gameplay is easy is to learn but difficult to master. Being able to jump and glide around the city and sneak up on armed thugs on a rooftop is truly amazing. As others have said you truly feel like the dark knight. The new game plus combined with the Riddler's revenge provides many hours of fun even after the completion of the main game. The graphics in game are also very impressive, the detail poured into every corner of Arkham city is apparent. especially with a Nvidia graphics card and physX enabled it looks great (even with DirectX 11 off). In the end the game is great even while the developers are not the best at delivering it. Expand
  19. Jan 7, 2012
    Little buggy with the DX11 but other than that the game itself is great. Good story line albeit short. The Voice acting is fantastic, good combat system and plenty to do. I beat the game but have yet to get bored with it as there are still plenty of side quest to finish. Bring on the Dark Knight game just plan on a more stable port to PC this time.
  20. Jan 8, 2012
    Better than its predecessor
    Fantastic atmosphere
    IN-Genius challenging maps
    Secondary Missions (more than that)
    What a music!
    Secondary Characters are just awesome.
    Dx11 patches will be come out soon, i don't worry about it. on Dx9 looks great!
    U will love this game... for sure!
  21. Jan 11, 2012
    Impressive gamestyle but lame story (but mainly because i dont like the whole batman/dc comic thing, if you like thats style, u´ll love it i guess).
    Fairly the best game of that kind, when it comes down to fights and "jump n run". The riddles are somtimes rly dirty mindgames. The side quests are varying altough there arent very much of em.
    A big difference for me was the
    A big difference for me was the point, that in Batman Arkam Asylum i had like no motivation to play that game after finishing the main story. That changed here. Additionally u can play with Catwoman, which is a mather of taste, but i liked it.
  22. Mar 22, 2013
    What game can be better than Batman Arkham Asylum? Batman: Arkham City! You really don't have to be a Batman fan to like this game. Roam around Arkham City Batman style? Awesome. Kicking ass with Batman gadgets? Bring it. Punishing different villains with Batman martial arts? Oh yeah!
  23. Nov 26, 2012
    My feelings on this Batman game are hard to put into words. It was my favourite game of 2011 by a mile. I think the graphics are excellent, I think the graphical design is spot on for Batman. I think the fighting is excellent - very similar to Assassin's Creed or Enslaved - but the system is easy to understand yet difficult to master. The gadgets are great. The riddler challenges areMy feelings on this Batman game are hard to put into words. It was my favourite game of 2011 by a mile. I think the graphics are excellent, I think the graphical design is spot on for Batman. I think the fighting is excellent - very similar to Assassin's Creed or Enslaved - but the system is easy to understand yet difficult to master. The gadgets are great. The riddler challenges are brilliant. The story is pretty good. I have already played through this game twice. I shall be playing through it again! It has almost everything I would want out of a Batman game! If you can pick this up for under £20 then you have got an absolute solid gold bargain on your hands!
    Credit where credits due - they've nailed this (Way more than Nolan ever did!!)
  24. Dec 21, 2013
    I liked Arkham Asylum the story, the gameplay and the general atmosphere really made you feel like The Dark Knight.

Arkham City is an improvement in pretty much every aspect. Not as cramped and limiting as it's predecessor and with new and innovative challenges within a carefully constructed open cityscape this was the game where The Bat truly got to unfold it's wings and show it's

Arkham City is an improvement in pretty much every aspect.

Not as cramped and limiting as it's predecessor and with new and innovative challenges within a carefully constructed open cityscape this was the game where The Bat truly got to unfold it's wings and show it's full potential. The story is even better than in Arkham Asylum and it will draw you in and keep you going until the end and then the end will leave you begging for more.

Definitely my favourite of the series so far even though Arkham Origins holds some improvements it's not by far as innovative and immersing as this game was compared to it's predecessor.

9/10 almost perfect as far as I'm concerned.
  25. Oct 17, 2012
    Batman Arkham City is a must play game for not just batman fans, but superhero fans in general. The PC version of the game is also pretty excellent after all the patches. My favourite action game.....
  26. Jul 21, 2012
    The game itself was superb. Amazing in every way. Absolute perfection.

So why am I just giving it a 7/10? Because of the atrocious DRM. Aside from using both securom and GFWL, there is both an activation AND revoke limit: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29769271&postcount=9

Which you probably will use up sooner or later, because that's just how good the game itself is.
  27. Jul 28, 2012
    I give this game a definitive 10 after i've played the game multiple times exploring every aspect and feature..the game showed no problems at all and no patches were needed.. an amazing improvement since arkham asylum
  28. Jul 28, 2012
    This is one of the best games I've played.
    * I got it a couple months after release, and while I read there were stability issues on release, they all appeared to be cleaned up because I had no issues at all.
    This is one of the best games I've played.
    * The story was excellent! Very entertaining to play through. The writers kept me hungry for more, and I played for hours at a time. Although, it was easy to save and stop when I needed to.
    * The graphics were beautiful. Both cut scenes and game play were amazing.
    * A great mix of combat and puzzle solving. Puzzling is mostly ancillary/optional but is worth the time.
    * The combat was great. You basically are fist fighting thugs with the addition of gadgets to perform special moves. Every thing flowed amazingly well and was very satisfying, especially the slow motion finishing moves.
    * A lot of Batman universe characters were included. The focus was on just a couple, but there were tons of them.
    * The open world (rather city) adventuring was great. None of this "on rails" linear maps when you move between locations. You run through the streets, or more likely, soar between roof tops.
    * There is a good challenge system outside of the main game, that gets unlocked as you find secrets and reach goals in the main game. In this system, you are dropped into a combat scene from the game, bounded so you can't leave the area, and 3 waves of bad guys come at you. You need to survive and meet challenge goals, in the best time you can.
    * The developers did an excellent job with this game. Although it looks like this was the last planned game in the series, I hope they do another one. I played Arkham Asylum as well. And it was great for many of the same reasons, although this one really added a wider and more open world.
  29. Aug 9, 2012
    This is one of the best games i have ever played, amazing storyline, awesome graphics, impeccable gameplay, the atmosphere is worthy of batman, and the side quests are giving you a lot of time being the dark knight.
  30. Jul 30, 2012
    This was the first Batman game in the Arkham series that I have played and I loved it. I love the slow motion ending to the fights and all the cool gadgets. The main story is good and to my surprise, the side quests keep me wanting more. I should go back and play Asylum, but there is too little time and too many games. I don't have a rig to run this game full blast, but almost and it looksThis was the first Batman game in the Arkham series that I have played and I loved it. I love the slow motion ending to the fights and all the cool gadgets. The main story is good and to my surprise, the side quests keep me wanting more. I should go back and play Asylum, but there is too little time and too many games. I don't have a rig to run this game full blast, but almost and it looks good. I would of given it a higher score, but I felt slightly confined and a "10" is perfect and we all know that there is no perfect game out there. Expand
  31. Aug 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is AWESOME. The graphics are amazing. It's both linear and sandbox because you can play through the story or just go around beating the ass off of bad guys. Did not much enjoy playing as Catwoman though. There's something just... **** stupid... about being an ultra sexy girl who can climb things like a cat and kisses guys as she poses sexily and beats the **** out of them. I don't find myself looking at video games and going "Hey, how sexy of a girl can I BE today as I beat the **** out of someone". Fun to look at, not to be. Her parts were also kind of just SIDES to Batman's as well, almost like they just threw that **** in there last minute. Expand
  32. Aug 15, 2012
    Great sequel for a great saga! Batman: Arkham City shows us a complete game with the main Batman´s enemies. The Joker, Two Faces and The Penguin are great, but Batman is perfect. The new Batman´s weapons are excellent.
    Simply the best game of 2011
  33. Sep 19, 2012
    Pretty cool game. It was frustrating at times trying to figure out where to go in the tunnels, but nothing too excruciating. Combat was always entertaining and required thoughtful strategy to win instead of just hack n slash. Soaring through the city as Batman and playing as Cat Woman were a blast. Story was awesome and kept me intrigued throughout the game. This was pretty much as good asPretty cool game. It was frustrating at times trying to figure out where to go in the tunnels, but nothing too excruciating. Combat was always entertaining and required thoughtful strategy to win instead of just hack n slash. Soaring through the city as Batman and playing as Cat Woman were a blast. Story was awesome and kept me intrigued throughout the game. This was pretty much as good as it gets for a Batman game and far exceeds majority of games in the market. Arkham City is a definite must-play and should not be passed up. Expand
  34. Mar 8, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game. The way it uses the universe's characters is great and as has been remarked in many places, the voice acting of the Joker in particular is great. Having said all that, the best thing for me about the game is the combat. Timing is paramount, the use of the gadgets genuine fun and the feeling of being someone not to mess with are the main things. When in theI really enjoyed this game. The way it uses the universe's characters is great and as has been remarked in many places, the voice acting of the Joker in particular is great. Having said all that, the best thing for me about the game is the combat. Timing is paramount, the use of the gadgets genuine fun and the feeling of being someone not to mess with are the main things. When in the middle of a big combo it almost becomes a rhythm game as you mentally queue things up and plan to take out guy A followed by the guy with the gun and then stun the big titan dude for a while. It put a big smile on my face. As mentioned elsewhere, the DRM sucks massively though Expand
  35. Sep 27, 2012
    Story: mediocre
    Music: very good
    Graphics: very good Gameplay: very good The story is very straight forward as you would expect from a comic port. Gameplay is where Arkham City shines. Combat control is very easy to learn but rather difficult to master. Once in game helps are disabled, fighting feels smooth and very fast paced. It's refreshing to have options to go in and wipe
    Story: mediocre
    Music: very good
    Graphics: very good
    Gameplay: very good

The story is very straight forward as you would expect from a comic port.

Gameplay is where Arkham City shines. Combat control is very easy to learn but rather difficult to master. Once in game helps are disabled, fighting feels smooth and very fast paced. It's refreshing to have options to go in and wipe them out or take them out one at a time.

The gadgets definitely helped a lot as well. With an assortment of gadgets at your disposal, you can change up your fighting on the fly depending on the situation.

Overall, this is a great game I would recommend for everyone.
  36. Oct 6, 2012
    This is how you do a sequel. All the good points in the first game have been kept and built upon. Not sure the story is as good as the first game but there is a lot more to do. The open ish world of the game is fun to explore, the side missions are mostly fun. If you can get past the GFWL then it is the best super hero based game on the PC.
  37. Nov 3, 2012
    If you ever liked the batman franchise - whether it's the movie's, comics whatever - get this game! It totally conveys the feel that you are batman in the batman universe. Nothing says you're a badass like hiding in shadows, scaring the baddies one by one and kicking their a**! Catwomen segments were slightly less impressive - but this is probably the most loyal representation of theIf you ever liked the batman franchise - whether it's the movie's, comics whatever - get this game! It totally conveys the feel that you are batman in the batman universe. Nothing says you're a badass like hiding in shadows, scaring the baddies one by one and kicking their a**! Catwomen segments were slightly less impressive - but this is probably the most loyal representation of the batman universe I have ever seen! Expand
  38. Nov 10, 2012
    This game has a fantastic story, combat, and graphics! The ending boss fight was a bit lackluster and the ending of the story a bit unpleasantly surprising. However, it was a very enjoyable experience!
  39. Mar 9, 2013
    Arkham City takes several leaps forward over Arkham Asylum, but in my opinion, lacks some of what made Asylum so great. The graphics are still amazing, the gameplay is still amazing, it still perfectly captures the Batman experience, it is especially cool to have different skins to play batman and it is really neat to be able to play robin and catwoman. Nevertheless, City lacks some of theArkham City takes several leaps forward over Arkham Asylum, but in my opinion, lacks some of what made Asylum so great. The graphics are still amazing, the gameplay is still amazing, it still perfectly captures the Batman experience, it is especially cool to have different skins to play batman and it is really neat to be able to play robin and catwoman. Nevertheless, City lacks some of the simplicity that made Asylum so well balanced. In Arkham City, there are sooo many little side missions and challenges that it almost detracts from the game. Of course they are optional, but for those of us who like to complete games, it makes the game a bit tedious. Expand
  40. Dec 22, 2012
    Juego excelente en muchos aspectos, nivel visual, jugabilidad, duración, diversión, la primera vez jugando a un ritmo normal te puede dar de unas 20 - 25 horas de juego, si intentas conseguir los trofeos la duración se extiende, y los retos le dan más jugabilidad, la historia está bien, personajes carismáticos, y sistema de pelas magnifico, seJuego excelente en muchos aspectos, nivel visual, jugabilidad, duración, diversión, la primera vez jugando a un ritmo normal te puede dar de unas 20 - 25 horas de juego, si intentas conseguir los trofeos la duración se extiende, y los retos le dan más jugabilidad, la historia está bien, personajes carismáticos, y sistema de pelas magnifico, se podían haber metido lo de Windows Live por el culo. Expand
  41. Jan 20, 2013
    It's by far one of my favorite games... It blows Arkham Asylum out of the water(and that was also a great game), the characters and story are so in-depth and perfect to the 'T'. Plenty of side missions and easter eggs to complete/uncover. The challenges are fun, the dlc is equally as fun, and the gameplay is rich. As I said before, this is one of my favorite games, don't think I'm biased,It's by far one of my favorite games... It blows Arkham Asylum out of the water(and that was also a great game), the characters and story are so in-depth and perfect to the 'T'. Plenty of side missions and easter eggs to complete/uncover. The challenges are fun, the dlc is equally as fun, and the gameplay is rich. As I said before, this is one of my favorite games, don't think I'm biased, it's really just that good. Expand
  42. Feb 6, 2013
    Possibly one of the best and most complete games I have ever played. I enjoyed every second of Arkham City from start to finish. Initial release with DirectX11 support was rushed and needed to be patched ASAP as it wasn't implemented/coded too well. However I enjoyed the game for what it truly is. It is a great tribute to Batman which says a lot because we all know how crappy superheroPossibly one of the best and most complete games I have ever played. I enjoyed every second of Arkham City from start to finish. Initial release with DirectX11 support was rushed and needed to be patched ASAP as it wasn't implemented/coded too well. However I enjoyed the game for what it truly is. It is a great tribute to Batman which says a lot because we all know how crappy superhero games and movie spin-off games can be. I will be playing through Arkham City once again as soon as I have the chance. 10/10 Expand
  43. Feb 14, 2013
    The game is a must buy for action gamers. Arkham Asylum was a great game, and Arkham City is better under every aspect! The gameplay mixes action and stealth... and possibly puzzle, if you want to solve the riddle's enigmas.
    The story is strong and well-written, with a free-roaming component very satisfying. Flying over the Arkham City building, or crawling in shadows down the streets... it's fantastic! Finally, the City. A masterpiece of Gothic art.
  44. Apr 12, 2013
    "Batman: Arkham City" is filled with fun, yet simple content, a lengthy campaign and enough of easter eggs and secrets to make you return to the pretty big Arkham City.
  45. Sep 21, 2013
    I had a great time playing Arkham City. The combat is good and the story is engrossing. However, I did not find the open world elements of the game to be very well done, and a few things about the port could have been done better, namely a few of the menu controls and GFWL.

The story of the game was very good and playing through it was very fun, but I was quite surprised when it came to an end when I only had about 30% completion. There is really no incentive to go anywhere but the main objective, and the theme of the game makes it feel as though the city isn't really somewhere you want to be exploring, but somewhere you should be skulking in the shadows, getting ready for your next move. Because of this, I did not do very many of the side objectives, even the ones that were a part of the story, because they just didn't seem as interesting as actually continuing the story. Also, the storyline makes it seem like you're very short on time, so it is a little immersion breaking to go off on an adventure.

I ended up with about half of the upgrades possible, and I assume that you are meant to have most or all of them by the time the story is done. I think that this is a flaw of the game's design. The open world was not interesting to explore, the main method of travelling through the city is on the rooftops, very disconnected from what is going on below, so there was really no reason to do anything but the story nothing else garnered my interest.

I have had no problems with the PC port, performance has been great on maxed out settings, graphics are amazing, and most of the controls are great. The places where I think controls could have improved are in the key bindings to switch between gadgets. It was hard to try to remember which gadget was on which key, and scrolling through them was a bit inconvenient with there being so many. The other controls that I didn't like were the map controls, especially for things like changing the objective. The ke bindings should always be focused around the standard way of playing games WASD, space, and mouse, as well as the surrounding keys. Enter and backspace really shouldn't be used much if at all.

The only other complaints I have are GFWL and the loading screen. GFWL is just annoying DRM that the game doesn't benefit from, and I think that everyone would be happier without it. The last thing is that when you start up the game, you have several unskippable credits for the developers and such. On every other game that I play, these are skippable. It's a bit annoying that they aren't on Arkham City when I want to play the game, I don't want to also have to watch the credits for the umpteenth time.

Overall, I loved the game. It had a few things wrong with it, but nothing that actually detracted from the experience of playing it. From my playthrough of the game, I would give it a 10/10, but with the problems outside of what I experienced, mainly the fact that I didn't experience them, and because of the other small annoyances, I give it a 9/10 overall.
  46. Apr 26, 2013
    Who dont like this game? That game is work of art. The producers had a perfectionist job.
    the atmosphere is perfect, the face of how the environment should be batman.
  47. May 2, 2013
    This game tries to go beast mode but comes up short many times. There are many cheesy moments with villain cutscenes and multiple instances where you just know that batman would never be in this situation (being trapped in a hole by Penguin without being able to grapple gun out???). The fighting is cool and the stealth fighting is even cooler, making the combat a mixture of buttonThis game tries to go beast mode but comes up short many times. There are many cheesy moments with villain cutscenes and multiple instances where you just know that batman would never be in this situation (being trapped in a hole by Penguin without being able to grapple gun out???). The fighting is cool and the stealth fighting is even cooler, making the combat a mixture of button mashing and strategy. However, this game can be VERY FRUSTRATING if you don't have a controller on PC. There are so many combos and special moves that are almost impossible to perform correctly (average gamer) with a keyboard/mouse setup. I found myself failing to use good moves or knowing how to execute them properly, forcing me to use basic attacks which gets old fast. I would suggest getting your hands on a Xbox 360 controller before buying this game. I would give it a 7 because of how cheesy and frustrating this game can be but come on...ITS BATMAN so he gets an 8. Make sure to pick this up on Steam (i got it for 7.50 on special) to avoid issues found in older copies, etc. It's a good fighter and even better once you figure out how to play effectively. Expand
  48. Dec 24, 2013
    This Game is Brilliant.
    U get to be Batman
    U get a huge world to roam
    U get the best combat system present at this time
    U get a Great Storyline
    U get a lot of unlockables and trophies

Just a complete Package of a Superb Game
  49. Oct 9, 2013
    The game is amazing. A huge open world for a game of it's kind, great graphics (and the 3D is something special too), a beautifully put together combat system and some nice varied puzzles throughout the game too. There is plenty to see and do outside of the story, but it is not essential. The DRM up front is a HUGE pain, but once you get past it, you will not regret the effort!
  50. Nov 26, 2013
    Aside from a few crashes and slowdowns, the game itself is perfect. It captures Batman in all his wondrous glory. I know I'm easy to please, but this game really is this good.
  51. Dec 1, 2013
    This is without a doubt one of the best computer games I have ever played. The atmosphere, immersion, darkness and feeling that you actually do become the Dark Knight is intense. The combat is challenging, gaining of new abilities and gadgets rewarding and just the fact that you can actually explore Arkham/Gotham city is amazing. Hunting bad guys in the dark, striking from above, seeingThis is without a doubt one of the best computer games I have ever played. The atmosphere, immersion, darkness and feeling that you actually do become the Dark Knight is intense. The combat is challenging, gaining of new abilities and gadgets rewarding and just the fact that you can actually explore Arkham/Gotham city is amazing. Hunting bad guys in the dark, striking from above, seeing the fear and responses from the NPCs. Pure awesome. This is undoubtedly a classic, even in years to come. I could go on. The only thing I wish were available is a save game system, but I guess you can't have everything. If you played Arkham Asylum and want more freedom, get this. If you even remotely like Batman, get this. If you don't like Batman, still get this, because you will learn to love him. Expand
  52. Dec 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of my favorite games I've played this year. It came in a humble bundle i bought and i just started playing it, but then i found out how amazing this game is, i've played quite a lot of it now till after the point where you encounter ra al ghul and the only reason i stopped playing it is when i had to sleep (or when i was stuck and ragequitted ;p) Expand
  53. Mar 14, 2014
    Batman: Arkham City, the definitive Superhero game! (In my opinion)

Pros:
    Stunningly fantastic visuals and effects
    Perfect Voice acting
    Lots of side missions
    Excellent and well paced combat

Cons:
    The world is slightly too small

Despite the slightly small open-world, this game has everything you would expect from a superhero game!
  54. Nov 13, 2014
    Intro:
    Didn't expect much from Batman. (wrong)
    Batman Arkham City bring a whole different meaning to 3rd person, Action Brawler, Heroic, Comedy and Openworld.

Graphic:
    Highest Settings
    750ti and Up

The Bad
    Physx was hardly noticeable
    Loading Screens
    Timer
    Same Minion Voice overs
  55. Dec 5, 2011
    People need to calm down. A 0 score based off graphics for a decent looking game? Skyrim looks worse, did you rate that a 0? Likewise, the 10's are a bit much. Was Arkham City a good game? Yes. I enjoyed it. GOTY? I honestly cannot see that argument. Aside from being a larger sandbox, it actually was much more empty than its predecessor. The highs weren't as high, but the lowsPeople need to calm down. A 0 score based off graphics for a decent looking game? Skyrim looks worse, did you rate that a 0? Likewise, the 10's are a bit much. Was Arkham City a good game? Yes. I enjoyed it. GOTY? I honestly cannot see that argument. Aside from being a larger sandbox, it actually was much more empty than its predecessor. The highs weren't as high, but the lows weren't as low. There were no scenes or fights that you'll remember a few months from now (unlike the Scarecrow scenes from AA.) But you won't be groaning every time you had to fight the same enemies.... AGAIN (unlike all the Bane-wannabes in AA.) While it started out strong, it felt incredibly rushed at the later 1/3, making the environment incredibly hostile to any exploration. It felt like an MMO, simply telling me to run to talk to/fight the next NPC and come back. Ultimately, I'd give the first 2/3 of the game a 8 or 9 out of 10, and the later third a 5/10. Thus, the 7. Expand
  56. Apr 6, 2012
    I'm giving this game a 10. It's not much different from the previous game, Arkham Asylum, but it is still a great game. Given that it is very similar to Arkham Asylum, I'm not sure it was worth the full $80, but I'm not regretting it anyway. Great graphics, smooth gameplay, well-designed. The DX11 sucks, and even with a core i7 cpu & and GTX470 it still stutters occasionally. Some peopleI'm giving this game a 10. It's not much different from the previous game, Arkham Asylum, but it is still a great game. Given that it is very similar to Arkham Asylum, I'm not sure it was worth the full $80, but I'm not regretting it anyway. Great graphics, smooth gameplay, well-designed. The DX11 sucks, and even with a core i7 cpu & and GTX470 it still stutters occasionally. Some people are complaining that it's not finished, but I've not had an issue with it yet (they did recently patch it), but even last year it was fine.
    CONS: Games For Windows Live (GFWL), the most useless crud invented for PC; DX11 support blows (might have been fixed via the patch); graphics stutter occasionally.
    PROS: Great graphics, smooth gameplay, decent story, lots to do.
  57. Feb 5, 2012
    game of the year, easily the best game from 2011 and much better then Skyrim or COD 10/10 batman arkham asylum was epic
    this is EPICNESS to the maximum
  58. Jan 28, 2012
    It really pisses me off that the reason people give this game a 0 because of a SHORT 5 WEEK DELAY and because its buggy if its such a problem go to friends house and play it on a console if you have to.
  59. Dec 21, 2011
    Probably better on console, but seeing as I don't have a console, that point is somewhat moot. DX11 made the game completely unplayable at launch, but the problem is now patched. Right now, my Core i5 + GTX570 get playable framerates with DX11 with normal tessellation and normal Physx or DX11 off and high Physx. The controls are obviously console derived, but the combo takedowns are nowProbably better on console, but seeing as I don't have a console, that point is somewhat moot. DX11 made the game completely unplayable at launch, but the problem is now patched. Right now, my Core i5 + GTX570 get playable framerates with DX11 with normal tessellation and normal Physx or DX11 off and high Physx. The controls are obviously console derived, but the combo takedowns are now mapped to one button (r/t/y) rather than the awkward SHIFT/CONTROL+left/middle/right scheme used in Arkham Asylum. If you can get past its deficiencies on the platform, the story, characters, and gameplay are very good and addictive as hell: I've logged almost 80 hours thus far. In few months, you will probably be able to get it almost as cheap as a second hand console game on Steam and be able to play as Catwomen to boot. That's not a bad deal for one of the best games of 2011.

And for God's sake, stop complaining about console ports. Even Crysis 2 made 85% of it money on consoles, and that had to be one of the most anticipated PC releases of 2011. Skyrim set records on Steam with around 300K people playing at once, but sold something like 3.4 million overall on PC and consoles; again, even for PC stalwarts like action RPGs, revenue from the platform just can't compete with consoles. Frankly, I'm glad companies even bother porting as many games to PC as they do. Moral of the story: if it looks like they hardly spent any money on the PC port, it's because that's probably how much it's going to make.
    Now we get to the part of the rant where I throw out half-assed theories as to what pushed PC gaming down the toilet.
    1. Computers are cheap. Margins are low for just about every company except a certain fruit themed outfit with which you may be familiar. Discrete graphics chips are expensive. Many people will never use their machine for anything more intensive then HD video playback (which integrated graphics do pretty well now), and most probably don't even use it for that. Most people just want a machine for internet and office work, and they want it for less than $500. You can't make a machine with discrete graphics marketable to most people. They really don't know what it is, and if they did, they probably wouldn't think it justified the cost.
    2. Hardware is specialized. In 1996, you could run Quake or Duke Nukem 3D on just about any reasonably current PC â
  60. Dec 24, 2011
    After playing this game for half an hour, you can not tear myself away from it ...
  61. Nov 28, 2011
    Lemme start by saying this a fantastic game, honestly if it wasn't for the stupid BS with the PC version I would give a 9 or 10. Great story, great action, great stealth, great graphics, just generally fantastic. But they delayed the PC version for over a month for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON. That's just shocking to be honest. And then when it is released it is full of issues, much touted dx11Lemme start by saying this a fantastic game, honestly if it wasn't for the stupid BS with the PC version I would give a 9 or 10. Great story, great action, great stealth, great graphics, just generally fantastic. But they delayed the PC version for over a month for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON. That's just shocking to be honest. And then when it is released it is full of issues, much touted dx11 support is completely broken, amongst a plethora of other issues, like CTDs and stutterry cutscenes. Honestly, this is a great game and besides the issues I would definitely reccomend it, but I just can't accept the stupid stuff WB pulled on us. Expand
  62. Dec 5, 2011
    Did you play Arkham Asylum? Ok, good. That means you've played this as well. There are no big changes to gameplay, no big changes to design. That's not a terrible thing, but it's not a good thing either - you can still have fun bashing henchman's skulls. The problem is that it's all the same henchman - same body on every one, one of 2 voice actors for them all. Details, details, I know,Did you play Arkham Asylum? Ok, good. That means you've played this as well. There are no big changes to gameplay, no big changes to design. That's not a terrible thing, but it's not a good thing either - you can still have fun bashing henchman's skulls. The problem is that it's all the same henchman - same body on every one, one of 2 voice actors for them all. Details, details, I know, but it's still annoying. Did every supervillain in Gotham pool their resources so they could clone a retarded henchman 20,000 times? But back to the good. A solid cast of villains including the Joker, Ra's Al Gul, Hugo Strange, etc, makes for a fun time. Though it does come at the expense of shortchanging almost every villain in the game. We could have seen more Joker, more Mr Freeze... hell, even more Penguin (and I am not a Penguin fan). The addition of Catwoman as a playable character is a nice touch - but I felt a little cheated when she had such a small amount of game time dedicated to her - she's more fun to play as than batman in some ways. This game seems to suffer from the devs trying to cram too much in without refining what was already there. Combat, level design, gadgets, puzzles, dialogue, all these things could have used some fine-tuning (or, in some cases, deletion - having to do an aerial attack for enemies with shields, or having to use the remote controlled batarang for ANY REASON WHATSOEVER, are examples of some of the bad design choices). This game is a case of trying to juggle to many knives and then doing a poor job of dodging them as they fall. It's oddly beautiful in a way, but you probably don't want to see it again. Expand
  63. Nov 27, 2011
    I got this game on origin for pc many of you might think origin??? Well it was only 25$ a steal XD now onto the reveiw this game is a mixed bag VERY mixed bag first of all this is a **** port by ALL means it will run ****ty in Dx11 and in dx9 people with gtx 580's are getting framerate issues very poorly optimized lips dont synch with voices cutscenes are choppy and low res, so many of uI got this game on origin for pc many of you might think origin??? Well it was only 25$ a steal XD now onto the reveiw this game is a mixed bag VERY mixed bag first of all this is a **** port by ALL means it will run ****ty in Dx11 and in dx9 people with gtx 580's are getting framerate issues very poorly optimized lips dont synch with voices cutscenes are choppy and low res, so many of u might be like, Why give it such a generous score? well i played it in dx9 with my gtx 570 everything maxed besides dx11 and got good average 60fps with a tweak but on to the real reason i rated it good was because the gameplay IT IS ABSOLUTLEY TERRIFIC!!!!! its fluid fun and exciting nothing like hanging a guy from a gargoyle its a very fun experience BUT leter in the game nearly everyone has guns and it kinda gets very irratating. also theres alittle repetetion in the end silent takedown hide do it again repeat for the next half of the game. the savior to that is the storys engaging fun and watching joker penguin and twofaces faction fight are AWESOME! with that said sometimes there are puzzles in AC some of them will have you ready to throw your keyboard across the earth and enemys with guns are unbelivablly annoying >.> also some content is very lack luster for open world.. so many of you might be wondering it still gets an 8?? you stated so many bad things!!! Well take it into coonsideration it may be a ****ty port irratating and very repetitive BUT the story is amazing there are many things to do such a the 400 riddler trophies!! catwomen missions voice acting is SUPERB graphics are still very good interesting concept charecter sand most of all the combat mechanics are unbeatable ive never played such a combat fluid game as such well made stealth. in the end it is worth your time after a patch is released Expand
  64. Dec 21, 2011
    The game itself is fantasic. Great cut scenes, voice acting is off the charts even gameplay is smooth and enjoyable. BUT its once again a console port making it terrible controls. You cannot rebind keys and you must exit the game just to change the graphics. Im tried of paying good money for games when the publishers rather spend all thier time on consoles bugs. Also is you buy it in theThe game itself is fantasic. Great cut scenes, voice acting is off the charts even gameplay is smooth and enjoyable. BUT its once again a console port making it terrible controls. You cannot rebind keys and you must exit the game just to change the graphics. Im tried of paying good money for games when the publishers rather spend all thier time on consoles bugs. Also is you buy it in the shops you must load with DVD to play. "seriouly we are well past that people!" Expand
  65. Dec 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There really needs to be two different subscores for the PC version of AC. One for the game/story, and one for technical support.

The game/story, I'd give a 7/10, for reasons that I'll get into shortly. The technical support probably deserves a 3. The PC version was delayed a good month, only to release with completely broken DX11 support. A later patch purported to correct the deficiencies, but the frame rate hit is still massive. On my rig (2600k, GTX570), I would get a solid 60 fps at 1920x1200, Medium FXAA on DX9. On DX11, the max frame rate is still 60 fps, but there are often dips to 1 or 0 fps that are quite annoying. It's too bad, since the DX11 effects - particularly the tessellation - are quite nice, and improve upon the otherwise flat, lifeless textures so endemic to the Unreal engine that powers this game. AC is also infected with Microsoft's GFWL, which is one of the worst things ever to grace the gaming world. SecuROM is also present and seemingly designed only to punish the honest paying customer. The bastardized console interface is painfully obvious - even the main menu screen says "Press Start," and you cannot change video settings or rebind keys without first completely closing the game executable. I suppose it is what it is, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

If you can get over all that, AC is pretty much AA, with some extra refined bits. There are more gadgets, more combat and predator moves, more complex Riddler trophy challenges, and a sandbox/open-world feel to the main game, which includes side quests that you can undertake at your leisure. The story is typical for something based on comic books - which is to say, it's pretty damn stupid. It suffers from retread-itis - almost every popular villain in the Batman rogue gallery is crammed into the plot, usually for no good reason (much like Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire novel series, which just took the famous characters in Star Wars and recycled their dialogue from the films). I would have much preferred the writing team to create a new villain, but I suppose that'd hurt the cost/benefit analysis. The plot has all your typical gaping holes; in the interest of time and space I'll not list them save one - in real life, if a criminal was indeed deemed legally insane, he'd be locked up in a padded cell and pumped full of anti-psychotics, leaving him drooling in his straitjacket. He wouldn't have time to cook up a complex scheme and employ and arm hundreds of henchmen. Most of the criminals in the Batman world aren't insane, either, by any legal definition, with perhaps the exception of Zsaz. They're simply sociopaths with antisocial personality disorders. They'd go to a normal prison and probably end up getting shivved to death. This would relieve Batman of the painful "choice" to never kill, and instead see his nemeses continue to escape from prison and harm innocent people. But I digress. The dialogue in AC is pretty bland, it generally consists of the villain talking about how tough he is, and Batman responding with a pithy quote. Catwoman especially utters a series of silly one-liners that makes the Arnold Schwarzenegger version of Mr. Freeze and his "Ice to see you!" sound educated by comparison, and takes the edge off of what is ostensibly supposed to be a "mature" "graphic novel"-type story. But to be fair, nobody ever claimed that Batman was Shakespeare. And the silly story didn't stop me one iota from beating the living daylights out of the goons, and enjoying every minute of it.

I also greatly appreciated the expanded Riddler challenges and trophies; the designers went out of their way to create some really tough, mind-bending ones, especially the ones that involved dive-bombing and bouncing off of walls. With 400 trophies/riddles to solve, obsessive-compulsive types will have something to keep them up at night. The boss fights (there are a bunch of them) aren't nearly as fun, but oh well. They do break up the monotony of having to constantly engage in combat and/or predation. I was hoping to see the ability to drive a vehicle make its way into the game - be it Batwing, Batmobile, Batcycle, Batskiboat, or other - but no such luck. Maybe the third time will be the charm.
  66. Feb 6, 2012
    Batman: Arkham City
    I seriously love Batman. The Nolan's movies are great and Rocksteady's games are great too!
    This is seriously the best game of a year 2011, not some **** skyrim **** END!
  67. Dec 5, 2011
    The month late and even without the DX 11 features, its the best game out there, has a great selection of batman enemies and allies, has a nice detailed part of Gotham, this is a must have for PC gamers and console gamers too. Now i´m waiting for Batman 3.
  68. Feb 12, 2012
    Now this AAA title seriously deserves AAA mark. Open world, sandbox gameplay, fantastic feeling. Many upgrades and exelent graphic and details for an old U3 engine. Yes there are some troubles with DX11, but in dx9 mode its stable and great looking. 10/10
  69. Jul 26, 2013
    Terrible performance, slow loading, clunky steering. The riddles involving a specific frequency on the sequencer are impossibly frustrating with a mouse. Not a fun experience. Add to that the GFWL...
  70. Dec 29, 2011
    I purchased the game through Steam and have had no issues with it or the DLC.

An excellent follow up to the great game "Arkham Asylum" that improves upon the original in just about every way. A whole new batch of villains and some old friends make this game a MUST have!
  71. Dec 27, 2011
    Brillitant game with excellent graphics and a superb storyline. My only criticism is its not as big as I'd have liked and I would have liked so I don't see myself coming back to it in the future unless they release some good DLC (the Robin/Nightwing content was beyond poor).
  72. Dec 23, 2011
    It's a phenomenal game. I haven't had any issues with it. I have a smoking new PC and it looks and plays perfectly. The GFWL set up was awful however, but once I uninstalled the Steam-installed version and reinstalled the GFWL components myself it worked fine.

The gameplay, environment, characters, sounds, soundtrack...in short, everything about this game rocks. I actually haven't gamed in years and years, but got this free with the NVIDIA GTX570 card, and now I'm sucked into this game. Love it!
  73. Dec 23, 2011
    It's even better than the first one!
  74. Jan 5, 2012
    This game is really enjoyable, but it have many flaws that prevents me from giving it maximum score.
    Savegames - this game is another game with curse of annoying checkpoints, its 2012 year but some devs still think that its good idea to use checkpoints instead of quick and manual saves. Checkpoints leads to nothing, but frustration because of lost progress which happens quite often after your death. You may spend a half of hour planing and performing stealthy clean-up of some area, and then you make a little mistake, some NPC shoots you in 1 second or you gets in fight and die and you need to start over again - this makes you afraid to explore and expiriment with environmet and you sticking to same repetivie and less painfull pattern in combats and zone clean-up. The only way to save progress when you are in city - to solve riddle and pick up one of riddler's items, this triggers checkpoint and saves your progress. But they are not infinite and most of them cant be obtained without gadgeds that you can get only in a middle of game or even later, also they are not quite easy to find and to get, so in begining of game you cant get most of them and in then you arleady done with them and in both cases you are out of Saving your progress when your really need it. So not so random side missions and enterexit of builds also saves your progress, but yet again - sometime its difficult to survive to get to this checkpoint. Things getting worse in-doors, the only checkpoints you have there is when you entering some new sub-area, riddles dont save your progress anymore inside buildings, and things turns into real nightmare in a middle of game or later, when every freaking thug gets a firearm or knive, which are hard to handle in close-combat, so you will have a lot of situations when your will clear like 9 roofs, spend a hour for this and then will die and whole hour of progress would be lost! This is annoying! And if you was stupid enoght to select maximum level of difficulty, which makes close-combat a real nightmare, get used to hours of lost progress and replay of same sequences for 10 times - this isnt challenge, this is torture and these is no fun at maximal difficulty, only frustration because of lost progress! And you cant even change difficulty level in settings after you got game started! I was not aware of these issues when i, as hardcore gamer, started game at max difficulty, i spent about 5 hours in my fights agains checkpoints and lack of difficulty settings in started game, and then i gave up and started game again at normal level.
    This game really needs proper saving system and difficulty settings.
    Yet another flaw is stealth gameplay - its pretty primitive, there is not darklight meter, no soundnoise metter, and AI is pretty dumb with super cheating sharp-shooter skill. Comparing to best stealth games so far thief 3 (DS), Splinter Cell 3 (CT), Riddick, Manhunt, Hitman 4 (bm) - this stealth is pretty retarded and stuck somewhere at level between Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 which are 15 and 10 years old.
    In additiion to primitive stealth gameplay this game lacking vital feature like abbility to attrack nearby enemy to your current position without use of super gadgets that would be unlocked in a middle of the game - i mean simple "knock the wall" "pick up and throw some random object" and "whistle" or generic "make some noise, you cant do things like this, and if you will try to shoot, instead of looking at place of impact, which should make some noise, enemy will know your possition since they can hear noise of you shot... this is kinda odd, as well as fact that some weaponstgadged makes noise and some not but any of them could give out your position or may not, there is no clear logic in this - you can hear noise of any weaponsgadgets, but enemies can hear only some of them. Also AI is absolutely deaf, appart from predefined events like one descirbed above, they cant hear foorsteps and a lot of noise you do - this is unacceptable for stealth game in 2012! 10 years old Splinter Cell 1 was much better then this in stealth.
    Howereve lack of stealth gameplay quality compensated but quantity of things you can do in this game and by combat - so if i would judge this game as stealth only, i would not give it more than 6 of 10, but since it not stealth only game, it deserves better score.
    I would also say some words about graphics - it looks generally good, but textures are really low res, BAA for PC have had better higher res textures, and this time PC version had less of love from devs, so this devs will have less of love from me this time ;-)
    Also whole RPG-style crap, xp, upgrades etc - is annoying and dull thing that only exist to arificially make game longer, Batman should be fully upgraded from start! And yeah - pre-cut Robin and NightWing to be sold as dlc is greedy attempt to sell us what should be in game and what we already paid for.
  75. Feb 14, 2012
    Cons: Catwoman is an incredibly bad character to play and especially her challenge missions are horrendous. Nightwing and Robin never talk in the challenge missions, making them lifeless. GFWL and SecuRom, both outdated, poorly working and repulsive fascist systems that serve no function in an era where we have Steamworks. Pros: Everything else, allows you to become truly the Batman. Unmissable.
  76. Feb 21, 2012
    Not only the best batman game,but the best superhero game ever. A true successor to Batman Arkham Asylum. A real contender for GOTY. Enjoyed it so much. Awesome!!!
  77. Mar 10, 2012
    Improving upon the original in every possible way, Batman Arkham City is one of the absolute best action/stealth platformers to ever be released. The Batman approach to the sandbox/metroidvania world layout is solid, and I was compelled to search every last nook and cranny of the world to find the secrets and uncover encounters with a dozen of Batman's most memorable villains. GlidingImproving upon the original in every possible way, Batman Arkham City is one of the absolute best action/stealth platformers to ever be released. The Batman approach to the sandbox/metroidvania world layout is solid, and I was compelled to search every last nook and cranny of the world to find the secrets and uncover encounters with a dozen of Batman's most memorable villains. Gliding through the skies of Gotham is extremely satisfying, and I found the package as a whole to be incredibly addicting.

Sign me up for me, Rocksteady. Just do me a favor and give me a chance to play as the Red Hood in the next one!
  78. Jan 25, 2013
    Come on people, a 0 score is reserved only for truly pathetic games. You are rating it this low either because you are angry at some minor issue or you don't know how to configure it, that's all. This game works FLAWLESSLY for me. I mean, I installed it yesterday and today I'm about to finish it because it's so astonishing I can't stop playing (I've played the game before, by the way).Come on people, a 0 score is reserved only for truly pathetic games. You are rating it this low either because you are angry at some minor issue or you don't know how to configure it, that's all. This game works FLAWLESSLY for me. I mean, I installed it yesterday and today I'm about to finish it because it's so astonishing I can't stop playing (I've played the game before, by the way).
    Graphics aren't just "ok", graphics are quite good. The combat scenes are UNIQUE, from my point of view. I've never played a game that offered such a display of martial art beating before.
    This game confirms Batman's quotation from Arkham Asylum: "I eat punks like these for breakfast".
    You'll be facing bands of up to 15-20 strong all by yourself, if you are skilful you'll beat them up without being hit! Movements and sounds are quite realistic, in fact it may hurt just to watch/hear Batman fight (he is such a beating machine). In this game you have plenty of missions to complete, skills to learn, gadgets to upgrade, trophies to collect, enemies to beat up, etc.
    If you liked Arkham Asylum you'll like this one as it offers more variety of scenarios, movements and enemies.
  79. Dec 19, 2011
    I previously rated this game pretty bad, but the update changed my mind. There surely are still issues and I can run this game now on maximum settings and the plot stopping bugs have been resolved. However and this especially leaves a bitter taste: All my savefiles were corrupted from updating this game. I think it's fair to give this game 8/10 points for the troubles we've experiencedI previously rated this game pretty bad, but the update changed my mind. There surely are still issues and I can run this game now on maximum settings and the plot stopping bugs have been resolved. However and this especially leaves a bitter taste: All my savefiles were corrupted from updating this game. I think it's fair to give this game 8/10 points for the troubles we've experienced since release. This game is now playable and worth getting. Expand
  80. Mar 6, 2013
    Games for Windows Live totally ruined the experience for me. Just wanted to try the game that I got with my GPU and no it wont work. Had to enter my CD-key 3 times, the game crashed 2 times while trying to create a profile, could not save without updating "Games for Windows Live" etc... terrible DRM.
  81. Dec 6, 2011
    This is the first time that I am writing a recommendation to say not to buy the game. Based on critic reviews, you would think this would be a contender for GOTY. However, the PC version of this game is so plagued with bugs that playing through the entire game in 1 shot is completely impossible without a little extra file patching (from modders) on your part. I probably spent more timeThis is the first time that I am writing a recommendation to say not to buy the game. Based on critic reviews, you would think this would be a contender for GOTY. However, the PC version of this game is so plagued with bugs that playing through the entire game in 1 shot is completely impossible without a little extra file patching (from modders) on your part. I probably spent more time working on fixes than I actually have playing the game. Even once you get the game working and beat it, you will have to replace all of your switched files back and forth to work towards achievements.

The game was released a month later so that dx11 worked. Good news! It still doesn't. Additionally, the game only runs in 32bit. If your game launches, it will crash often for no reason. You have to go through drms, including GFWL. I've complained enough about GFWL in other recommendations, but it doesn't add value to this game in any way. Technically speaking, this game is ****

As for the actual game play, the game play is pretty much the exact same as arkham asylum. I wasn't looking for much to be new here since it is the sequel, but I was looking for something more fun. The boss fights aren't as exciting as Batman: AA. There was only 1 that I found even slightly fun (Clayface). The one shining addition to the game play was the Catwoman story. While she plays similarly to Batman, she has a unique role and style. In fact, she has an alternate game ending, so if you do play it, see if you can find it.

I don't know if I'm more upset that this game was a complete waste of money and time or that even now, I really hope that the developer patches this game with fixes so that it can become a good game like Batman AA. I had high hopes for this game as a GOTY contender and now am riddled with disappointment.

Oh, 1 more bit. The same voice actors from the animated series and Batman AA return. That is a small bright spot in an otherwise dark void of horribleness."
  82. Dec 6, 2011
    PC Gaming has really fallen from grace. The game crashes within 5 minutes of play on any setting and the crazy amount of anti-piracy software they force on the people that actually bought this game has done absolutely nothing but piss off paying customers.
  83. Jan 4, 2012
    Great story, great graphics, great improvements from the last game, great voice acting, great side quests, great tribute to the Batman mythos... I could almost hear it all going down the drain with the random save game deleting. Why?
  84. Dec 26, 2011
    This is one horrible port, the grafics are oke but what i dont get at all is why Rocksteady didn even took their time to make some controle options, i mean what did Rocksteady do those 5 weeks? Apart form beefing up their security. Well its their reputation i guess. I know im not gone be so easly tricked in buying games from rocksteady anymore that for sure.
  85. Nov 22, 2011
    I warmly suggest you to play Batman AC on console (xbox360 or ps3). Sadly, the PC version is very buggy: poor graphics quality, flat textures, ridiculous dx11 effects, controls irresponsiveness and 'consolized' interface. This will widely ruin your gaming experience on PC. That's a shame, because this game was a true masterpiece on console.
  86. Jan 19, 2012
    A very mediocre sequel to a great game, Arkham City only improved upon the formula in one way - it made combat better.

The problem? The main campaign was not only short but the setup of the city had you hunting down far too many sidequests and joker trophies. This game is a great example of why sandbox games are bad - the story is far more engaging if you just play it straight through, but the structure encourages you to faff around, making the game less fun. And if you don't faff around, the game is very short, with fewer areas than Arkham Asylum, and many of them are less interesting.

The only real highlights of the game lie in combat, particularly the fights with Mr. Freeze, Ras, and Clayface. Many bosses, such as the Penguin, Two-Face, and Strange, are just boring and samey, and there are a number of things which seem like they will be boss-fights but instead are incredibly anti-climatic - several of the sidequests just end in "make a note on the bat computer about someone, but don't actually fight them". Worse, several enemies are alluded to who appear nowhere in the game, even though they are outright stated to be in Arkham City.

A mediocre game overall, and a major step backwards from Arkham Asylum. These games do far better as more linear ones.
  87. Dec 31, 2011
    It randomly erases your save games (and encrypts them so you can't make backups!), the performance in DirectX 11 is terrible, it uses "Games for Windows Live" which is this thing that doesn't really do anything but forces you to log in to some system and restarts your game and crashes basically, and this is a port that was released months after the console version. The actual game isIt randomly erases your save games (and encrypts them so you can't make backups!), the performance in DirectX 11 is terrible, it uses "Games for Windows Live" which is this thing that doesn't really do anything but forces you to log in to some system and restarts your game and crashes basically, and this is a port that was released months after the console version. The actual game is pretty decent, it's basically Akrham Asylum but over a larger area and with more batman villains. But the technical problems are inexcusable, if you really can't resist the urge to play it please just pirate it instead of making the mistake of buying it like I did. Expand
  88. Jan 8, 2012
    Though it was a month late in release, the Batman Arkham City PC version is a definite console port. The only graphics change that you can apply is an automated 'Benchmark' feature that wastes five minutes of your time changing nothing. I'm sure it changed something there but after the test the game still looked exactly the same, and I couldn't know if it did change anything because thereThough it was a month late in release, the Batman Arkham City PC version is a definite console port. The only graphics change that you can apply is an automated 'Benchmark' feature that wastes five minutes of your time changing nothing. I'm sure it changed something there but after the test the game still looked exactly the same, and I couldn't know if it did change anything because there was nothing to tell you the current specs that the game was running on.
    Another problem was the seemingly rushed PC changes. I was playing a Silent Predatorn Riddler Challenge and when I accidently mashed the buttons after doing a wrong thing I didn't see the 'F' hovering about a nearby gargoyle, I saw an 'RB'. Thats just one example of some really un-PC like elements of this game.
    However, past the fact that this game took longer to put on PC - to no changes whatsoever - there is no doubting that the game is really good. Arkham City is as filthy as Arkham Asylum, and as fun to explore. There are new features like Beat Downs, smoke pellets and multi-person counters and takedowns. Overall this wasn't worth the extra month that PC players had to wait, but playing Batman: Arkham City is definitely fun.
  89. Nov 26, 2011
    Well, to be honest, this game wins in my personal "disappointment of the year" nomination. It's just a mediocre console port. Gameplay is really boring and involves mashing of two gamepad's buttons. (Yes, I played the game using gamepad, because keyboard controls are horrible.) Unreal engine looks more or less good , sound is weak, gameplay is boring and repetitive. Sorry, Bats, but you doWell, to be honest, this game wins in my personal "disappointment of the year" nomination. It's just a mediocre console port. Gameplay is really boring and involves mashing of two gamepad's buttons. (Yes, I played the game using gamepad, because keyboard controls are horrible.) Unreal engine looks more or less good , sound is weak, gameplay is boring and repetitive. Sorry, Bats, but you do not deserve more than 3. Expand
  90. Dec 21, 2011
    Horrible performance, decent action, but not as good as assassin's creed, or devil may cry. Good graphics, but not the best I have seen. Best part of the game is the story, but that's over in like 5 hours, and then they expect you to collect a million joker trophies, and do side missions to experience the rest of the game. The game play is not deep enough to support a bunch of sideHorrible performance, decent action, but not as good as assassin's creed, or devil may cry. Good graphics, but not the best I have seen. Best part of the game is the story, but that's over in like 5 hours, and then they expect you to collect a million joker trophies, and do side missions to experience the rest of the game. The game play is not deep enough to support a bunch of side missions, so once the main story is over there is no point. Arkham Asylum had no side missions, and a well developed long story, so in my book it was a lot more entertaining. I really thought this would be one to write home about, and the positive reviews had me convinced, but I think people are taken in by the fact that its Batman. I love Batman, but this game is just too boring. The combat system is very simple, and requires you to do 2 or 3 moves over and over again. I would have rated it a little higher, but the game is barely playable on my Core i7, gtx580, 8GB machine, so I have the feeling that they didn't really want PC gamers to play it. Expand
  91. Sep 10, 2012
    Here I'm not rating a "game" 'cause there is no such thing in "Arkham City". This is merely a "software", not even entertaining, which suffers from performance issues, multiple bugs, glitches, and so on. Not to mention this is yet another console port, flawed as a console port can be. To give you figures, if you want to judge by yourself : I have an Intel Core i7, along with 12GB DDR3Here I'm not rating a "game" 'cause there is no such thing in "Arkham City". This is merely a "software", not even entertaining, which suffers from performance issues, multiple bugs, glitches, and so on. Not to mention this is yet another console port, flawed as a console port can be. To give you figures, if you want to judge by yourself : I have an Intel Core i7, along with 12GB DDR3 Corsair, an ATI Saphire 6950 HD; on an Asus ROG motherboard. This is powered by a corsair power supply. So it gives me a reliable, fast and efficient gaming system. hmm, well... not for THIS "game" however. I've had severe lags at some PRECISE parts of the game only (multiple ones, not isolated cases, unfortunately). Specifically while cut-scenes.

Besides, the "game" itself has consistency and balance problems; as the gameplay has been designed by a some people able to move one finger only (fight is a "push button, receive beacon" action, which has to be timed), and its programming has obviously be done by some inexperienced code-monkey : these timed events don't even work all the times : I have, multiple times, tried to hammer (Y) while the timed-event indicator didn't disappear, and Batman finally got beaten up while I tried to make him counter. How lame.

So, while it's a shame that so many games are designed for CONSOLES before getting designed for PCs (even Deus Ex 3, which is a sequel of one of the best PC game ever...), I'd recommend you a TON of other games instead of this particular one. If you really want to play it, save your money, and go see a full walk-through of the game on youtube.
  92. Nov 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Horrible console port. The game looks OK in DX9. DX11 doesn't work at all. The controls are terrible - its impossible to get past the guys with shields playing with the keyboard . I wasted 30 minutes activating it and then it was crashing every 15 minutes. My drivers were from July 2011. Then I installed the latest Nvidia drivers, those with the Batman: Akrham city ad on them and the game got more stable, but still has crashes. Expand
  93. Jan 30, 2012
    The game was pretty sweet. It felt like a direct sequel and didnt stray far away from what it was doing in the original. I can't rate it too high because it includes the singleplayer DLC code that takes away the catwoman portion of the game if you don't have it. Publishers should not have to force us to use dlc codes to access content we pay 60$ for. Going to suggest we pass on this gameThe game was pretty sweet. It felt like a direct sequel and didnt stray far away from what it was doing in the original. I can't rate it too high because it includes the singleplayer DLC code that takes away the catwoman portion of the game if you don't have it. Publishers should not have to force us to use dlc codes to access content we pay 60$ for. Going to suggest we pass on this game because of this flaw. Expand
  94. Mar 28, 2013
    GFWL entering the game key several times poor controller support no way to restore your saved game files if you reinstall windows. This is a good game but it comes with too many unnecessary DRM crap, starting with GFWL. This game was deliberately designed to lesson the PC gamer experience. The same as Batman AA. I thought I done my best to know if this game did not use that horribleGFWL entering the game key several times poor controller support no way to restore your saved game files if you reinstall windows. This is a good game but it comes with too many unnecessary DRM crap, starting with GFWL. This game was deliberately designed to lesson the PC gamer experience. The same as Batman AA. I thought I done my best to know if this game did not use that horrible GFWL so I added to my Steam wishlist and someone gifted it to me. Then I found out that it does use gfwl crap, too late. Expand
  95. Dec 29, 2011
    I have not had a single bug so far in this game after many hours of play. I had to register for GFWL, but honestly, I'm not bothered about that. It certainly hasn't bothered my gaming experience, which so far has been absolutely amazing. It's really a blast of a game. I can understand why people might be put off by overcompensating anti-piracy tools, but again... I've got the impressionI have not had a single bug so far in this game after many hours of play. I had to register for GFWL, but honestly, I'm not bothered about that. It certainly hasn't bothered my gaming experience, which so far has been absolutely amazing. It's really a blast of a game. I can understand why people might be put off by overcompensating anti-piracy tools, but again... I've got the impression it's turned into a bit of a mindless crusade for many people, rather than an actual nuisance. At least I've never had problems with these tools. Expand
  96. Dec 3, 2011
    ARRRGGGHHH!!! About 10 crashes in less than 2 hours of game play!....And this was me trying to play the DX9 version - yes the framerates fine but what about the crashes every minute! It's simply not playable I've tried, god I've tried... it doesn't metter how good this game is underneath all of the bugs cos if I can't play it, then its worthless - I really loved Asylum, I was lookingARRRGGGHHH!!! About 10 crashes in less than 2 hours of game play!....And this was me trying to play the DX9 version - yes the framerates fine but what about the crashes every minute! It's simply not playable I've tried, god I've tried... it doesn't metter how good this game is underneath all of the bugs cos if I can't play it, then its worthless - I really loved Asylum, I was looking forward to this. I think Rocksteady made a big mistake on this they should have delayed it further - simply in its current state its not worth it Expand
  97. Nov 25, 2011
    Do not waste your time or money. Terrible game, especially given the hype, This game is worth maybe 10-12 bucks, Controls are ok for a console port the usual crap camera options, Gameplay is linear and repetitive, especially when you cant save a game. Graphics are subpar, voice acting is fair except the mouth movements do not match what is being spoken. Securom plus windows live - itsDo not waste your time or money. Terrible game, especially given the hype, This game is worth maybe 10-12 bucks, Controls are ok for a console port the usual crap camera options, Gameplay is linear and repetitive, especially when you cant save a game. Graphics are subpar, voice acting is fair except the mouth movements do not match what is being spoken. Securom plus windows live - its almost like the don't want people to play the game. Plot and storyline along with the acting is total joke, everything is needlessly contrived. And a theme park with the same set of generic bad guys to kill scattered throughout is not an open world. Combat is boring as hell, involves spamming attack and clicking 2-3 other buttons when your prompted to block or use a combo move. Expand
  98. Jan 21, 2012
    I can't believe i find myself giving this game a four, I eagerly awaited the release of this game like many other fans of Arkham Asylum. The first negative thing i noticed was the horizon scattered with in-numerous Riddler signs. I loved getting the Riddler arrested in Arkham city don't get me wrong, but in this game the frustration that is caused by time wasted trying to solve trophiesI can't believe i find myself giving this game a four, I eagerly awaited the release of this game like many other fans of Arkham Asylum. The first negative thing i noticed was the horizon scattered with in-numerous Riddler signs. I loved getting the Riddler arrested in Arkham city don't get me wrong, but in this game the frustration that is caused by time wasted trying to solve trophies that require a special gadget wasted plenty of time. A lot of the reasons for being disappointed with Arkham City i cannot recall however i assure you it is a disappointment. FYI i loved the idea of a large scale city map for the Arkham franchise and i still found this disappointing. Expand
  99. Jun 15, 2012
    **** devs even put a 15 minute timer on the demo to prevent all the faults of this game from being noticed. Crappy game, poor coding, laggy, feels like you keep fighting rag dolls that just absorb insane amounts of damage and just keep getting back up. Absolute no buy from me. Any dev that pulls this kind of nonsense isn't worth giving a single cent to.
  100. Jan 2, 2013
    I willl never buy another WB game again terrible console port, framerate issues, bugs, DRM and limited installations what ????!!!!???.........never again.

Though the ending is surprising, in a way, the story isn't the main focus of Batman: Arkham City. Exploring and adventuring come first, you have so much to do that you that the hours just slip by you. Yes, the boss fights are probably too easy, the narrative too short, the framerate goes down on occasion and not all the players will appreciate searching through every nook and cranny to find trophies. But it's all up to you and Arkham City offers a variety that not a lot of new games have nowadays.
    The developers should be proud for Arkham City and its precise portrayal of Gotham's mood- at least accordingly to recent films and comic books. A gothic atmosphere is undoubtedly dominant, as the majestic architecture of neoclassical buildings shadows the industrialization and the bright lights of a contemporary metropolis.
    It's hard to create an extraordinary game but to recognize it is quite simple. Arkham City with its cinematic appearance towers high above the rest with its production values. [Dec 2011]