7.5

1. Oct 25, 2013
    Rushed. Unpolished. Glitchy. Buggy. Incomplete. Another shining example of a big-name studio buying up a smaller studio's lovingly polished engine and ruining it with poorly executed design. No options for adjusting mouse or controller sensitivities. Numerous bugs. The only good thing about this is that it is built upon Rockysteady's engine, which was a beautiful thing. This Warner Bros Montreal bastardation does not have the same kind of love in it and is clearly rushed and cobbled together only to make money. Expand
  2. Oct 25, 2013
    Rocksteady put their souls into the first two Batman games, Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Warner Bros Montreal clearly is only interested in doing the absolute minimum necessary to make a slightly new game in order to turn a quick profit.
  3. Oct 25, 2013
    Somewhat unpolished. The animations are not as fluid as the first two games, especially during the cut-scenes as the character models reset to a default position before and after they speak. There are also a few glitches where the characters suddenly teleport to get around objects. There are a few grammar mistakes, such as when you change Physx settings it will say "Physx will take effect after the game restarting." Also, the WBID thing is just stupid; don't use it. The new detective investigation sequence replays is an interesting new mechanic. Unfortunately, the game is very rushed and rife with bugs, lowing the rating from a respectable 8 down to a lowly 2. Next time, don't release an unfinished rushed product. Expand
  4. Oct 25, 2013
    The game is broken. Cannot get past main menu due to crashes.
    I do not buy games to spend my times loooking for fixes and work arounds. I spend my money to have fun and play.
    Games that won't work on release instant zero scores.
  5. Oct 25, 2013
    I was really looking forward to this game, because I liked the Arkham games before... But now I am really disappointed. The story is not well and Gotham isn't lively at all.
  6. Oct 25, 2013
    What is it with AAA games being exactly the same this year? The only thing that saves B:AO is the fact that the story is much better then before but still NOTHING else has changed not even the mechanics.
    If you liked the previous batman for the free roaming then stick with it because this is exactly the same as that one with a little bigger city.
  7. Oct 26, 2013
    DO NOT PURCHASE THIS GAME until all the bugs have been sorted out. It was a fun, decent batman game that doesn't offer anything new but does expand on what made Arkham City so great. HOWEVER, the PC version is riddled with bugs and glitches that can prevent you from continuing. I've had to reset my game over 8 times because I was stuck in a position where the exit doors wouldn't open or combat was frozen or even trying to climb through a vent, your hands would get stuck. The larger city doesn't play well with the game either as there are times where it looks like you can obviously walk or jump over an obstacle when you have to walk all the way around a crack in the floor... I would advice purchasing the game for now as there are way too many issues for someone with a fair temper to enjoy. This isn't even mentioning the multiplayer aspect of the game. While fun in itself, there are only 4 maps and one game mode as of current and will likely lose its gimmick value pretty quickly over time. Also, there is a stats reset issue right now in MP where your progress will not be saved upon exiting and returning to the game which is absolutely ridiculous. I've lost hours of progress on this issue and the only thing gamers can do right now is to wait for a patch. With rookie developers like these, it's likely these issues won't be fixed for another few weeks. Great game, too many bugs. Do not buy for now. Expand
  8. Oct 26, 2013
    Game is bugged. Lots of issues while playing. Nothing new from previous games. Was not able to pass through first boss cause it was constantly...disappearing! Completely. Just vanished from game and did not come back. Even characters run from game like this. Some skills do not work properly. Basically time wasted.
  9. Oct 25, 2013
    This game is really a huge HUGE backstep from previous Batman games. I loved Asylum and City. This game is just a semi polished turd..pushed out for money. If you read these positive meta reviews they are all the same people...paid to review and talk about this game. It is horrible. I got it for free with my video card purchase and I wouldnt even invest my 3rd backup SSd's space to even keep its data. Expand
  10. Oct 28, 2013
    I give this game a 0 because it requires you to download extra 7 GB from steam after you just wasted 45€ on the DVD. So if you have a slow or limited internet connection forget playing this game. Sorry but that's just fraud. Next time i'll just get the cracked version.
  11. Oct 26, 2013
    This is sad!! The two first batman games are epic games. I enjoy em so much.
    This 3. game about batman seems very crappy. I have just played trough first part and got out in the city. Standing on the rooftop and looking at the streets and buildings.. First think that crosses my mind.. Is this game not finish?

The streets and buildings looks awful. The texture work looks like something
    5 years back. Even seen normal mapping that are flipped. Come one. That's noob stuff. To many trainees on the production? Same with environment debris and probs. Its just looks so freaking bad. I turned the game off and I think i try to look again in a few weeks. Maybe a golden patch arrives. Otherwise i can´t play this game trough.

But sadly I think that the new team just came from EA or something. Sad sad sad :(

And what's with the menu? Its so clumsy and strange setup. Same with to many info on the screen at the same time when you play the game. The camera control was great in other batman. Why change it to something that are worse.

I feel like I could go on with the critic for pages and have not played more that 30 mins. It is just not the game to hope for
  12. Oct 30, 2013
    It's a rehash of Arkham City, except it's hampered by bugs and a terrible camera system that makes combat and navigating a frustrating experience. The menu system is a huge downgrade from previous games, attempting a minimalistic style but ending up dysfunctional and clunky to use.
  13. Oct 31, 2013
    Playing through the game I can't express how disappointed I am at how shoddy and unfinished it all feels, constant bugs jump out and make the game damn near unplayable. I can't even finish the game because the final battle has bugged out so badly I simply get a black screen and a spasmodically vibrating controller.
    While I've read reviews that call the storyline "great" I can't agree, the
    writing feels amateurish and Batman often comes off as whiny and immature and I don't care how early in his career this is meant to be that's not Batman. On top of the poor writing the decision to change the voice actors from Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill (Batman and the Joker respectively) to new people seems ridiculous as both new actors simply give their best impressions of their predecessors, bringing nothing new but instead being pale imitations of the series mainstays. Secondary voices such as Jim Gordon and the Penguin are cringingly bad as well.
    All up this has been a huge disappointment, and considering that I wasn't expecting much of a rushed cash grab handed off to a new developer in the first place it shows what a stink this has left in the room.
  14. Nov 1, 2013
    My love for the past two batman games, Arkham Asylum and City, is what makes playing this latest game so hard. I mean it's just an utter crapshoot trying to play this game. I've already hit three game breaking bugs which made it almost impossible to continue. I'm convinced their "reload from checkpoint" functionality is basically broken as it triggers most of these bugs. I'm writing this review after running into yet another game breaking bug that would not let me continue which forced me to throw my hands up and quit.

Warners Bros had no buisness trying to follow up such an awesome game and this outcome was basically foreseen by everyone. I mean it's gotham on CHRISTMAS and its the most dull, grey, boring, lifeless excuse for a city I've ever seen in a game. I often have a hard time figured out where I'm at with how monotone everything is, a problem I did not have with the previous two games. Combat is the same, though I've noticed they sped up enemy attack rates making the batclaw and ground take down really difficult to use. Characters are really poorly portrayed, missions are boring and desperately try to copy the previous games, like 75% less riddler puzzles, dialog/story is so I'm in disbelief, and everything just sucked.

Overall the environment is dull and lifeless, the dialog from the main characters to the thug convos on the street is god awful, no new meaningful additions to combat/gadgetry, and bugs/glitches are plentiful and nearly unavoidable.

What a terrible terrible end to an otherwise awesome set of games.
  15. Oct 26, 2013
    I could generously call this game half finished most of the time but the truth is, it is simply unplayable in its current state. All gameplay and graphically bugs aside, the frame rate drops of the later levels are disgraceful.
  16. Oct 30, 2013
    It's unbelievable what they did with this game. A city without life, without details. Misplaced objects in the scene and amount of bugs I've seen while playing. I had bug's with interrogations, bug's to collect puzzle pack (deciphering code did not work), enemies caught in parts of the walls, the sound was mute in some animations, finally, a game was incomplete!
    A game that was done
    without care, full of problems.
    This neglect could not have another score: 0.
  17. Nov 1, 2013
    Rubbish, dialed-in minimum-effort follow-up to the previous two brilliant games. Repetitive, tiresome gameplay with no originality and the few changes are for the worse. The Gotham City environment is less interesting and less open than previously, the UI (game menus, map, character info &c) seems an afterthought, performance is inconsistent with wildly varying FPS, it's buggy too, and it cannot even reliably remember the chosen video settings from one gaming session to the next. Utter fail, worst game I've played all year, a complete waste of £30. Expand
  18. Jan 6, 2014
    Do not buy this game! You have been warned. The game is chock full of bugs as I have yet to be able to actually play the game. I have read about so many other peoples problems and we are now 3+ months after release and it is still not fixed.
    The problem that many have is that it simply crashes from the beginning (and yes, I have serious experience with bug tracking and fixing via DLC,
    patches, fxdiag submittal, registry manipulation and new drivers and OS reinstalls).
    Dont support software especially if you cant get your money back!
  19. Feb 17, 2014
    Do not buy! I initially did a review with a 0 score when I couldn't play this game due to large day one updates after a delay and all that magic.
    But now that I've gotten to play it, I'm still not changing my score.
    I'm not factoring this in my review, I just feel it should be mentioned; Hybrid Physx does not work with this game.
    I have never played a game with such awful level design!
    I get a lot of games hold your hand and tell you where to go. I don't like that, I'd prefer to find my own way sometimes. But don't give me objective markers on the map that are completely in the wrong place. Also I have encountered numerous bugs, and animation glitches. To take a game like Arkham City which was soooo polished and release something like this garbage is an insult. Rocksteady: Bring out your next-gen game we know you are doing and show these lame-clowns how it should've been done. Expand
  20. Nov 1, 2013
    If you enjoyed the other batman games you will enjoy this. There are not that many new features but generally fun to play. I give it such a low score as on release there were several major bugs making the game unplayable such as not being able to leave a room during a side mission (forcing you to restart) and the final boss fight not being playable as the cutscene gets stuck loading (again forcing you to restart as the game autosaves at the start of the fight). Expand
  21. Nov 10, 2013
    It's a shame! This game is bugged, I spent most of my time falling in a black void, stuck in this bug my only option is to start a new game, losing my 25 hours of game. It's a harsh score but we must react if we want them to understand.
  22. Mar 7, 2014
    This game is beyond broken. 5% in and all I get is OZZY fatal crash. I am sick of developers releasing games that should still be in beta testing! 0 is what you get for an unplayable game rushed out to cash in on a good franchise! F U WB
  23. Nov 6, 2013
    Holy crap, this game sucks. It is glitchy, boring, unintelligently designed, and completely not worth your time or money for many reasons. Compared to the last 2 games, which were brilliant, this is atrocious. The combat is one of my worst gripes. It seem to be designed to keep the player in large group fist fights. So far, there is no way to knock out an enemy before you just have to jump into the middle of a bunch of guys and fist fight. Throw some smoke into the fray to conceal your movement as you fight? Don't bother, it last all of 5 seconds and the baddies are still going to find you. Jump on a baddie from 10 stories up and knock him out? Nope, he will get right back up and keep fighting (WTF?). Hell you can drop on a dude 3 or 4 times and he will keep getting up. And the "ground knockout" move where you knock a guy over and then reach down and KO him is worthless if there are any other baddies because the move take SO LONG to complete, it is guaranteed to be interrupted. The fighting and gadgets, SUCK, hands down bad.
    Movement around the city feels extremely restricted. Your bat hook can only attach to, maybe a third of the building ledges and other surfaces that is should be able too. You will get stuck flying AROUND buildings because you can't grapple onto anything on the building itself. You will be looking at the edge of a roof and be getting a positive retical telling you that you CAN attach at that location, you will hit "f" and get the "crossed out" retical telling you there is nothing to grab even tho YOU ARE LOOKING RIGHT AT IT!
    And the glitches are numerous. I keep getting one where I go to drop onto a baddie from a flagpole, but instead, Batman will just lay down on his stomach on the pole and go nowhere. And if there is nowhere for you to hook your batclaw to pull yourself out of it, then you are stuck.

I am sooooo pissed that they botched this game so bad. I would be happy if it were basically an expansion of the second game, but it is simply not good enough.
  24. Jan 7, 2014
    It looks like it might have been a fine game, but unfortunately I have run into a bug that keeps me from progressing and I haven't been able to find a solution to that particular problem.
  25. Apr 22, 2014
    Overall chunky, shtty console port.
    Some of the highlights: main screen space button wont work... Mouse not working on the map, you can't drag...
    Enigma "riddles" are sometimes fkin annoying.
    The grapple sometimes work, but mostly not. Annoying as hell. Sometimes you just can't climb up building, that are not too high, not too erhh, but you just can't go up... Why?
    The buttons not
    always working - bad pc port as usual - if you make it console only why sell it on the pc?
    The update deleted all saves - we are not in the nineties anymore... Lamers :)
    That is when I quit, I won't play this game again from the beginning just because some braindead developer can't fix their own bugs but by deleting my saves. And I will not buy anything from rocksteady anymore.
    And you are one of them if you gave a score above 5 for the PC.
  26. Nov 10, 2013
    This game is name Bugman not Batman.
    i have Batman arkham trilogy and i can say The beat game is The batman arkham city
    Origins have a bug every cut scene.
  27. Nov 12, 2013
    Shame. Disrespect. Impudence. Disorder.

Here, guys, learn how to ruin your reputation to the ground. Make an amazing game first, one who nobody expect to be so good. Make awesome sequel, which is expected. And after that just fire your whole QA department and just throw untested product on the market, grabbing all consumers money you can before they realize what is happening actually.
    Game was not even in Early Access category, like Steam do when people WANT and READY to pay for yet unfinished game. BAO was promoted as legal prequel with preorder option. Now, 3 weeks after release, game is still incompletable for many gamers. Moderators on forums just feeding visitors with some childish excuses like "Hold on, guys, we are aware that door can't be opened and we are WORKING HARD ON IT!"

Three weeks for fixing door and surface collisions? With a single player? Oh my god, stop it! Rate of 73 is too much for this game. Too much, because you already took money and give nothing back.
  28. Nov 7, 2013
    i honestly couldn't finish the main campaign this game started to get so boring after a while repetitive and totally lacks inspiration and new ideas this feeling of routine and receptivity isn't stemming from the game itself as it is but actually from playing the whole series( arkham asylum+arkham city) it just feels the same thing playing over and over again the same guys same techniques and same fighting animations and gotham city is just arkham city *2 in size .
    the only reason i give this game a 4 is for it excellent optimisation as doing a good job in optimizing pc games tends to be rare these days and the new detective feature
  29. Nov 5, 2013
    Too many bugs and lags
    many troubles with batclaw!!handling have troubles too in fights
    i think they ruined the game
    may many crashes.And multiplayer have many bugs too
  30. Nov 6, 2013
    I am a first time PC player to this series and was enjoying the first 15 minutes until I came to the vent in the Blackgate Prison on the 2nd tier looking down at the gas chamber. I started playing the day after it came out.

Batman cannot pull the grate off due to a glitch. There is no other side route down below. I cannot find a noclip hack or console command that will get me past this
    point but will continue that searching. So, my game has ended for now as the first patch did not correct this glitch. I tried the lowest resolution and turned off the PsychEX mode. No luck.

My last option(s) until future patches come on the scene (that may or may not fix this grate glitch) is using XYZ numbered coordinates via Cheat Engine software to place Batman in another area either just beyond the grate or forward to the floor below. Or, I could get a save game from another user but I have not verified PC save games can be transferred around yet for this title. Lastly, I could start a fresh game and maybe the glitch will not be there the second time.

The game has a weak save system typical of console games looks like one autosave slot. I automatically deduct a point for that no matter what.
    I am thinking of trying to backtrack out and play other side missions but the way back may be blocked. I have spent many hours on the Steam and WBID forums and other websites trying to crack this problem. I am reasonably upset with Warner Brothers and WB Montreal. I think we need better consumer protection for our $60.00 investments. I could settle for a new game credit and they can lock me out of this game. Perhaps some groups of players can file a class action lawsuit to get credit back for the game.

I have played over 60 titles of AAA PC games across 4 different PC's since Jedi Knight Dark Forces and this is one of the first times I've hit such a game-destroying roadblock. That's my story.
    Based on these severe problems and the other similar bugs players have complained about, I can only give this game a 3 for now as I assume I will be able to get back on track. (In the meantime I have continued playing Splinter Cell Blacklist no such problems and ordered Crysis 1 as I have not tried that series yet.)

WildBill A Certified Unhappy Customer.
  31. Nov 7, 2013
    I'm one of the many PC gamers who is completely unable to play this game after the last patch. (days now, could be weeks by the time it's sorted)

How could I possibly rate higher than a zero for a game that won't even boot up?

To be fair...for those few glorious days I was able to play (pre-patch) I'd easily give it a solid 8.

Biggest gong-show in gaming in a looooong while.
  32. Nov 13, 2013
    This game is a HUGE step back from the series. The story feels like its thrown together and I can't even get past a boss (Deathstroke) when I'm only 7% into the game. I play games for fun, this is in no way fun at all.
  33. Dec 3, 2013
    The combat system has definitely fallen far from the majestic tree that was Arkham City. Some gamers claim that it's just harder because it's technically earlier in the story line and Batman is less experienced. As a programmer I can tell you that's not the case. It's simply buggy. You will die a lot and it will not be fair or fun.
  34. Dec 26, 2013
    The frustration this game made me feel made me uninstall it an hour after playing it for the first time. I would not buy anything from this developer again.
  35. Jan 15, 2014
    Another name for this game should be "Scavenger Hunt: Batman Edition". Right at the beginning of the game (like second quest in) the fast travel gets disabled until you collect like 40 pieces of crap scattered around the map around the map. If it was a straight beat em' up game I'd be happy but even then there are huge gaps between the action while you swing around the map like spiderman. What ever happened to the Batmobile? Instead of a solid beat em up or a strategic stealth game you get a poorly executed hybrid of both. Expand
  36. Dec 3, 2013
    IT STINKS! IT STINKS! IT STINKS! IT STINKS! IT STINKS! IT STINKS! IT STINKS! IT STINKS! IT STINKS!
    on a serious note don't touch this with a ten foot pole because IT STINKS!
  37. Dec 18, 2013
    Very disappointing, they should not have handed the game off as it did not go very well. Batman Arkham Origins is more of the same just not done as well. There seems to be a different timing then the first game as well, and the feeling of batman is reduced as stealth isn't as large a part of the game. It turns into a rather bland button masher that was extremely disappointing for me as I loved the first two games. It is not steam protected so that is better than windows live crap. I would not recommend this game to anyone fans of the old version or those who are looking for something new. Like I said this is a rehash of the older two games just not as well done. The new detective ability was cool but rarely used, and the graphics were nice that is about the total of the good things about this game. Expand
  38. Jul 18, 2014
    Interesting story and the same enjoyable combat system from Arkham City remains but this does nothing to save the game from the persistent bugs that are still present so long after release.

I encountered two game breaking bugs on my play through (with google searches revealing there might even be more) in which I had to manually change parts of the game files in order to progress, or in
    one case retrieve an older version of the save file so I wouldn't have to start again from scratch (a process which lost me roughly 9 hours of game play). I also dealt with a myriad of minor bugs, including being unable to interrogate thugs and therefore being unable to complete certain side missions.

I give this game a generous 4/10 because it was really enjoyable, when it worked. However, it seems unacceptable to me to release a game that is so far from finished.
  39. Jan 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a game that I wasn't exactly looking forward to beforehand. I had a feeling it was going to turn out like this because it was being made by a completely different developer than the first two Arkhams. I didn't want to believe it would turn out like this because after looking at the gameplay vids, I thought for sure this game might be awesome after all. So does this game live up to the legacy of the previous Arkhams, or should Batman have just stayed in the Batcave and let Superman handle these criminals? Let's find out. The worst part about this game is its gameplay. The gameplay is literally a copy and paste version of Batman Arkham City. It does nothing to differentiate this formula at all, or make it better for that matter, it is literally the exact same combat and stealth mechanics. This is taking the Call of Duty approach to one of my favorite video game franchises ever (making the same game over and over) and I don't like it. Not only does the gameplay copy Arkham City's entirely, but it is also riddled with bugs and glitches. In fact, there was one bug I encountered that should only be on the PC version of this game. This bug actually corrupts the game's files for no good reason, and causes the game to lag uncontrollably, making the game nigh unplayable. This bug pretty much stops any sense of enjoyment you might get out of this particular title. This game does claim to make improvements over Arkham City, and it does add a few new gadgets, but these are not improvements at all. This game's "improvements" only make the game easier, not better. It also advertises a much larger open world than its predecessors, but you are pretty much doing the exact same things you would be doing in the earlier Arkhams, so there is literally no point to this larger open world. The graphics in this game are nowhere near as good as the previous two Arkhams. They lack the detail that Arkham City fans came to know and love. They just don't seem to have the amount of polish the other two had. It does look like Arkham City in some places, but in others, it just looks rushed and unpolished. There was no point in this game where I actually thought the graphics looked better than Arkham City. The graphics of this game are still okay overall, but they definitely aren't Arkham City or Asylum. As for the story, I've heard people say that it is the best in the series. I strongly disagree. If you ask me, I think this game's story is average at best, and has nowhere near the impact of Arkham City's ending. This game is actually a prequel to the other Arkhams, showing Batman's first meeting with the Joker. Basically, the Joker disguises himself as the criminal Black Mask, and sends eight assassins after Batman's head, giving them only one night to kill the bat. I think I might have heard this story once or twice before, so it lands in the mediocre category. However, it is told pretty well, I have to admit. It is told like a classic Disney film, and has great voice acting to back it up. However, Arkham City was told much the same way, so there is literally no point. Overall, the story of this game is definitely the best part of the game, but when comparing it to Arkham City, that really isn't saying much. Overall, this game is a mess of rushed ideas that looked good on paper, but were executed very poorly. The Xbox and Playstation versions might be better, as the PC version has this game breaking bug, but that doesn't mean these versions are free from bugs altogether. I really wanted to like this game, I really did, but at the end of the day, I just couldn't get over this game breaking bug. That's why I can only recommend this game to people who are die hard Batman fans. Everyone else should just play the previous two Arkhams instead. They are both so much better than this.
    Gameplay: 2/10
    Graphics: 4/10
    Story: 5/10
    Overall: 4/10
  40. Jul 14, 2014
    Perfect storyline, a much more menacing joker, surprising electrocutioner death. You would think this would be the best game ever...right? Wrong. The windows in this game shined waaaayyyy too much and one of Anarchy's eyes was darker than the other. WTF rocksteady? you did great in arkham city and gtav but what was this? It was also stupid how they said that they would be giving everyone a stimulus package because of all the glitches, but yet there was no 500,000$ put in my warner bros account. i could've used that money to buy the noel suit. nice job rocksteady. Expand

1. Dec 13, 2013
    "You don't want to be the guys who messed up and ran into the ground one of the absolute, top-rated franchises of all time. You don't want that at the top of your CV. 'Yeah, I'm the guy who turned a 96 into a 60, that's my claim to fame,’ said Arkham Origins’ producer Ben Matts a couple of days before the game’s release. Turns out, they did exactly that.
  2. Nov 27, 2013
    There's definitely some re-tread going on with Batman: Arkham Origins, but the combat, the relatively good story (B-list villain aside), the powerful feeling of being Batman in video game form has only muted my enthusiasm for the franchise by the smallest of margins.
  3. Nov 25, 2013
    You can't go wrong with sticking to Rocksteady's Bat-formula, however it is starting to feel a little played out. [December 2013, p.93]