7.5

1. Nov 2, 2013
    Unfortunately, Arkham Origins has fallen victim to the tremendous legacy of the ‘Arkham’ franchise. Had this game been an original development, I would’ve considered it a fantastic game. However, fundamentally the game is Arkham City, which carries nearly all of the game’s integrity.

The gameplay lacks the originality and intricacy of its predecessors. The fact that the game has reused the open-world map of Arkham City with the addition of some Christmas decorations says a lot for what to expect of the game. The puzzles also use the same framework as AC, but they don’t have the same complexity. It feels like the developers just played it safe rather than pushing the limits of the game’s engine. Instead of going through a process of repeatedly playing through a puzzle and fine-tuning it, they’ve either made it simple with slack timing or used copypasta.

This lack of play-testing is also very apparent by the amount critical bugs that plague this game. Some of which have been absolutely game-breaking, some have been patched but there are still many that have not.

The combat is more difficult, but this is due to the fact they have increased the percentage of armed and special enemies are in mobs. Despite the fact that the enemy types remain the same, this is good as it does provide more of a challenge as to not disappoint the seasoned Arkham player.

Warner Bros have done a good job at bringing the characters to life with a good atmosphere, and great animation and voice acting. It’s not quite as good as the previous two games, but it is good enough that it’s still very immersive.

In my opinion, if you’re a fan of the series I would hold off on buying it as the game doesn’t quite justify its price. Aside from the cinematography, the game feels like DLC and is worthy of being priced accordingly. If you’ve not played the series before, stop reading this and go and buy Arkham Asylum right now, finish it then buy Arkham City and finish that.
  2. Nov 7, 2013
    First thing I want to say, is this is not a bad game. If you've played the previous two entries in this series (Asylum, City) and enjoyed the combat, there is plenty to be enjoyed here. The free-flow mechanics are as tight as ever, and there's even a few new enemy types to be thrown in.

But honestly, that's where the good news ends for me. The entire time playing this game, and even through the ending I got a whole "Been there, Done that feeling" playing the game. Some parts of the map are ripped right from Arkham City. The Curfew being enforced over the city makes the streets look empty, and being Christmas Eve, it's even set in the snow..Again.

Warner took a key to what could be great, and made it mediocre. While Arkham Origins plays beautify, it never gets any near the "Epic" feel of the other games. Especially Arkham City. The story here is an "ok" Batman story, while the story from Asylum was "good" and City was "One of my favorite Batman stories EVER in any media". The whole thing seems predictable and there only a few moments of epic-ness to be found.

Where Origins absolutely nails it though, are the "Boss Fights". Even in "Injustice" I had a better time fighting Deathstroke, or Bane as Batman in this game. The fights capture exactly how you think they might go from the comic, and are on par with "God of War" as far as boss battles.

Now that I've completed the game and am writing this review, I can't help but think how blown away I'd be with it, if It was indeed the 1st game in the series. But after playing both Rocksteady's entries, it all seems a bit old. Almost like a yearly "Madden" or "Call of Duty". Even though it wasn't even yearly!

The voice cast is excellent. And the replacements for Kevin Conroy (Batman) and the Mark Hamill (The Joker) are excellent, and you hardly would even notice they're gone. But one of the main issues I had with the game was believing this was the 1st time Conroy's take on Batman had ever heard of The Joker. Conroy's Batman has been fighting Hamill's Joker so long hearing Bats discover the Joker for the first time, just didn't feel genuine to me, and maybe the story could've been told in a different narrative.

Again, It's not a bad game by any means. If this were the first "Arkham" game I've ever played it'd be a 10/10 for sure. But Warner really fails to introduce anything new or fresh. So if you've played the last two, this whole game just kind of feels like one long expansion pack.

If you haven't played any of the Arkham games, play this one first. Then Asylum, and City.. The way this series is meant to be played.

Rocksteady absolutely nailed the feeling of actually being Batman more than any other game with the character has ever done. I'm hoping maybe surrendering this license to Warner will let them be free to work on some other D.C. characters. Superman is begging to have a great game, and imagine a "Max Payne" style game featuring "the Flash".

There is some good ground work laid here, and if Rocksteady is indeed done with Batman, I can't wait for their next release.. And if more Batman is coming before another hero, we really need some fresh ideas.. Part of the story lacking here makes me wonder if Warner is missing Paul Dini.
  3. Nov 13, 2013
    This game is more of the same that we were left with in the previous installment with little-to-no improvements, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's not enough to yield it a higher score in my eyes. The game suffers mostly due to its sterile environment that is held back due to the console versions, and this being a port of those. Hopefully the next installment will includeThis game is more of the same that we were left with in the previous installment with little-to-no improvements, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's not enough to yield it a higher score in my eyes. The game suffers mostly due to its sterile environment that is held back due to the console versions, and this being a port of those. Hopefully the next installment will include more dynamic environments and interactivity. Expand
  4. Dec 27, 2013
    Regarding one of the reviews: "When you hit the level of perfection that Arkham City did, you can't change that without shooting yourself in the foot." In my opinion that's exactly what they did with this game. In honesty this game wasn't a complete failure, but it didn't have the heart the previous two games did. As you play throughout the game you can generally tell the developers wereRegarding one of the reviews: "When you hit the level of perfection that Arkham City did, you can't change that without shooting yourself in the foot." In my opinion that's exactly what they did with this game. In honesty this game wasn't a complete failure, but it didn't have the heart the previous two games did. As you play throughout the game you can generally tell the developers were sloppy and a lot of things will persistently bother you. I was a bit disappointed, as it was pretty clear this game was designed to be a guaranteed quick money grab riding on the success of the former batman games. But I'll give it a little credit, this game is still better than most of the trash they release these days. The story was good but not great. That's why I gave it a 7, which is a C, which is barely passing.

Around the middle of the game I became frustrated by all of the things that was wrong with this game and I started to take note of them. I have decided to inform you so that you may be warned. They aren't spoilers:

There are a LOT of things wrong with the combat system. Let me explain a few. I remember playing the previous two batman games and often getting 100x hit combos. It was difficult, but I remember it used to be deeply satisfying. In this game, that is nearly impossible. It's not that it is harder, but it is simply impossible to avoid getting hit under certain circumstances regardless of your playing skill. The problem is the "counter windows" (the little lightening symbols that indicate when an enemy is about to strike). Contrary to the previous two games, the "counter windows" are significantly shortened in this game. It is so short now in fact, that certain attack moves by batman take longer to execute than how long it takes for an enemy to display a "counter window", which leads to batman getting hit no matter what. Let me hit you with an example. Batman begins a double-front-flip-roundhouse-kick-to-the-face on a thug. In the middle of it, another thug comes up to him and throws a haymaker (the "counter window"). However, the "counter window" is so short now that batman cannot do anything except watch as he gets smacked before his foot connects to his original target. If the "counter window" were longer, batman would have countered the other thug before or after he had successfully kicked the other thug. This to me, is a major MAJOR flaw in an originally perfect, unique, and badazz combat system. I am extremely puzzled as to why the developers intentionally tweaked something so that it would be fundamentally broken. My guess to their answer is "we did this to make the combat harder". BULL. This is frustrating, not more challenging. Why take a perfect formula and ruin it? This totally turns me off from playing the combat bonus levels. Another thing that is wrong with the combat: lame gadgets. I know this was supposed to be "younger batman" but did they really have to take away all the fun gadgets? In arkham city I had so much fun chaining my combos being creative with so many of the quickfire gadgets. It was fantastic. Now there's only like four quickfire combat gadgets. And they're nothing new (ice grenade re-branded glue grenade? seriously?). And one more thing for the combat system: You cannot execute a glide kick unless you start from a ledge. Remember in the previous games when you were flying you got a little bat symbol over a thug's head if you could glide kick them (and it told you to press left click to execute)? Yeah, it's glitched even after the patch.

And overall the game's just filled with glitches that constantly annoy you. The silent takedown from the back of an enemy sometimes just doesn't work and you end up awkwardly running into them and getting shot in the face. And there's a gadget called the disruptor (the same gadget that disables guns and such in arkham city, except heavily nerfed) in which its bullets sometimes do not register on the enemy. One time with the disruptor I shot an enemy with a gun about 20 feet away, clear line of sight, and I ended up using all of its three shots simply because it glitched and wouldn't disable his gun.

Sometimes you finish a sidequest and the game tells you "you have unlocked a new waynetech upgrade" but it does not tell me which freakin upgrade I unlocked, or how to perform or use it. So I end up going through a good chunk of the game without knowing I could use a really cool combat move but couldn't because it didn't tell me about it.

One of the biggest letdowns of the game were its bosses. To describe them in three words without spoiling anything: uninteresting, unintimidating, and repetitive. I remember the good bosses of this game in the past: fighting killer croc, in which you just felt so helpless and terrified, and fighting mister freeze, in which he learned your fighting techniques against him and countered you.

I would recommend this game if it were around $20.
  5. Apr 11, 2014
    A really good game, and answers many questions prior to Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Still riddled with some annoying bugs & glitches here and there, but doesn't take away the experience in general.

City seems to be less atmospheric than in Arkham City, however the character is usually involved in missions rather than adventuring throughout the city, in that case, i'm pretty fine with that.

The details in Arkham Origins is near-perfect (at least to me). The characters and environments are well-detailed and nothing really important seems left out.

Main story takes about 10-14 hours.

Deserves a 7/10
  6. May 10, 2014
    This game in the Arkham series was far too focused on tedious side quests and tasks. It got old real quick. The game suffers from a lot of bugs that really hinder combat. In several instances there would be enemies that I already defeated up and walking around during battle and in a large group you can get easily confused as to which is the enemy that's not really there. At times theThis game in the Arkham series was far too focused on tedious side quests and tasks. It got old real quick. The game suffers from a lot of bugs that really hinder combat. In several instances there would be enemies that I already defeated up and walking around during battle and in a large group you can get easily confused as to which is the enemy that's not really there. At times the writing is insultingly terrible and at times it's done really well. The is was the first in the series where I became annoyed and just decided to rush everything. Overall it felt like a poorly executed expansion to Arkham City. Not to mention the game was nothing more than a cash grab filler game until Arkham Knight arrives. Expand
  7. Nov 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 1. The copperhead fight is too linear and SHOULD HAVE A TIMER (It doesn't make sense without one because of her attack) and makes it TOO EASY.

2. Bane should have more attacks and do TON'S more damage. It's ridiculous how minimal the damage he does, even in the last battle

3. The getting through a lot of the game is repetitive.... See a bunch of thugs, sneak around, attack the thugs...rinse and repeat. Even the grappling ledges(statues) have the same look through out the game.

Graphics are great, voice acting is great (a tad repetitive during fight scenes) but I wouldn't rate this game above a 6 because it does get repetitive after a while and the above (3) reasons.
  8. Dec 3, 2013
    I pre ordered the game since I loved the previous ones. However, it fell short because of a plethora of bugs, some of them even hindering you from continuing the story line until they were patched. I would like to say that the game improves on its predecessor but unfortunately it does not. This review only concerns the single player portion of the game.

Navigating the city is fun, but

Navigating the city is fun, but some buildings are "ungrappable" for weird reasons and it really ruins the flow of the otherwise good navigation. A welcome addition is the Batwing that enables you to fast travel after unlocking fast travel points. Another new addition is the Bat Cave, where you retrieve items, start challenges and talk to Alfred.

There's only one new usable item, which I won't spoil. For some reason the Freeze Blast wan't good enough and it is now named Glue Grenade, with the exact same usage.

Most boss fights are extremely generic and simply feels like an exchange of blows. Counter the boss, beat him up, counter him, beat him up. The game is very rarely difficult. The fighting is fun, but not challenging. The challenging (and fun) part is racking up huge combos. I don't understand the choice of villains either when there are so many recognizable ones from the Batman universe.

The story isn't as engaging as the two previous games either. However, it is pretty fun that no one knows who you are and in some conversations you can really hear the fear among your enemies, not sure if you exist or not.

By now I certainly hope that all bugs that I encountered are fixed. Here's the bugs I encountered:
    Batman disappears after fast travelling (had to reload).
    Mouse always visible in game, no matter what I did.
    Riddler informants displayed on map but not there when you arrive.
    Falling through the ground.
    Enemies getting stuck in environment.
    You getting stuck in the environment (happened once, and it's an open world game so it is forgivable)
    A vent that wasn't passable, hindering the story (Patched pretty quickly though).

If you liked Arkam City, you will like this. No matter what people say, it is more of the same, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. The game looks beautiful, it never stuttered except for some slow motion finishers. Combat is fun if huge combos is what you strive for.
  9. Dec 4, 2013
    This game is underrated. Batman: Arkham Origins still manage to catch the Batman-feel just as good as Arkham Asylum and City did. It`s still Batman. The game suffers from some bugs and the framerate on console is more or less alittle bit unstable. However it offers 12 hours of gameplay trough the singleplayer, it has an original multiplayer, and the grapichs are pretty good and a decentThis game is underrated. Batman: Arkham Origins still manage to catch the Batman-feel just as good as Arkham Asylum and City did. It`s still Batman. The game suffers from some bugs and the framerate on console is more or less alittle bit unstable. However it offers 12 hours of gameplay trough the singleplayer, it has an original multiplayer, and the grapichs are pretty good and a decent amount of side-missions to do after you`ve completed the singleplayer. Some glitches here and there but it never bothered me. The story is well built up and engaging. The only thing that really sucked with this game is the poor boss-fights. They`re to easy, to repetetive and way to short! However, I really enjoyed this game all the way trough, it`s not as good as the other two, but it`s sure as hell a very neat prequel. Expand
  10. Jul 21, 2014
    I struggled with this one. I almost stopped playing it, and I'm glad I didn't. Eventually, it throws up some really excellent altered reality moments like the best of the previous two Arkham games, and some stealth rooms that are better than any others in the series. There's nice work in the cutscenes, too. But to get there, you must get through the game's early sections in which the gameI struggled with this one. I almost stopped playing it, and I'm glad I didn't. Eventually, it throws up some really excellent altered reality moments like the best of the previous two Arkham games, and some stealth rooms that are better than any others in the series. There's nice work in the cutscenes, too. But to get there, you must get through the game's early sections in which the game doesn't feel promising at all (including one massive bug that I thought I'd never be able to circumvent, and still remains unpatched). This initial disappointment overshadowed the rest of the game for me, no matter how good it became, and even the good part is a mixed bag.

If you're desperate for more Arkham City, and you're persistent, you'll get some fun out of this. I've never been able to face playing it again, though. Playing Arkham City again and waiting for the forthcoming Arkham Knight might be a better strategy.
  11. Apr 30, 2015
    The PC version of Batman: Arkham Origins is absolutely the best in terms of detail, smoothness, drawing distance and particle effects, though it suffers from a series of annoying glitches.
  12. Nov 7, 2013
    Overall it's linear, repetitive, and buggy. The game adds little overall to its predecessor, Arkham City, and is not worth full price.

The relatively simple addition of blocking and counter attacks adds a great deal to the fight sequences, and makes them more than just a button mashing slog. A few new gadgets are introduced, but the total number is still manageable. The main quest is extremely linear, and there are few, if any, chances to deviate from the script. The world is larger than the other Batman games, but it's just populated with more of the same mobs, building types, geography, and trinkets.

At release time the game is quite buggy. I was frustrated as hell when I realized the door I was trying to bypass at one stage didn't involve some trickery or inventiveness to get around, but just a restart to get past a software glitch. There are also numerous bugs affecting side quests, and thugs you need to interrogate, but can't.
  13. Oct 27, 2013
    Really disappointing compared to previous two games. Right now not ready for PC. 5-button mouse config is missing, no mouse sensitivity settings, no FOV settings. Half the in-game menu (map, cases files, character profiles) can be controlled only with the keyboard and not the mouse, which makes the map much less useful. The game overall is a lot less responsive than previous games.Really disappointing compared to previous two games. Right now not ready for PC. 5-button mouse config is missing, no mouse sensitivity settings, no FOV settings. Half the in-game menu (map, cases files, character profiles) can be controlled only with the keyboard and not the mouse, which makes the map much less useful. The game overall is a lot less responsive than previous games.

Plus the game is lower in quality overall. Batman model for some reason has really short arms, some missions are buggy, combat is just frustrating instead of fun because NPCs teleport around to get hits in or to avoid your hits, combat controls are often unresponsive. You also arbitrarily can't grapple to some ledges. Some missions force you combat where stealth would obviously be simpler, and quite possible. Audio for distant conversations suddenly cuts in & out.

And don't get me started on mini and full cut-scenes where the PC is suddenly uncontrollable, forcing you to watch a built-in combat animation or dialog or something.

Just play Arkham City again it's mostly the same map but even the story is much more fun and colorful.
  14. Oct 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Two reviews:

One, the gameplay: Just as great as Arkham City. It's grittier, Batman is a hothead, earlier versions of criminals. I love it. The characterizations are great, especially the Joker. A couple new enemies, a couple new gadgets. It's a blast to play and viscerally satisfying to be the Batman. The holiday atmosphere is a nice addition. I think it's a worthy addition to the Arkham games and captures the philosophy, style, and play of the other two very well.

Two, the technical stuff: Unlike the other two games, this game was released with game-stopping bugs, glitches, poor AI, and idiotically obvious problems that HAD to be fixed before releasing. I would absolutely not buy this game until they release at least one patch. Maybe two. The only redeeming things I can say about this is that 1.) you can _generally_ fix whatever glitch you encounter by restarting the last save and 2.) the main story doesn't seem to hit a glitch wall. With restarts you can finish it. Forget about the sidequests; from broken comm towers to bugged out disruptor you'll have a tough time finishing the Riddler or Penguin sidequests.

I have a great time playing this game, right up until I hit one of the many glitches. Then I get frustrated and turn it off and resolve to wait until the patch. Then I convince myself it's worth playing because it's still a blast and try it again. Rinse and repeat. Going to be a great game when they get things fixed. Until then, stay away.
  15. Oct 28, 2013
    Despite Arkham Origins being an excellent game in its own right, it's hard to ignore the Arkham City comparison. Warner Brothers took no risks with Origins, and the few changes they made were for the worse. Everything in Arkham Origins is an exact replica of Arkham City, except with different buildings that you go into and obviously a younger story. They've added a new combat gadget theDespite Arkham Origins being an excellent game in its own right, it's hard to ignore the Arkham City comparison. Warner Brothers took no risks with Origins, and the few changes they made were for the worse. Everything in Arkham Origins is an exact replica of Arkham City, except with different buildings that you go into and obviously a younger story. They've added a new combat gadget the shock gloves and replaced line launcher with a supped up batclaw which makes predator challenges better, but everything else is identical. The city is twice the size but is poorly used and there are no riddles to solve. The actual collectibles are still fun to get but the design is pasted from Arkham City. The other change is the unlock system. Instead of earning XP and unlocking whatever takes your fancy, you have to do them in a dictated order for no reason whatsoever! Then there's the challenges, which again also have to be done in a certain order to gain the XP. Side missions are again pasted from City. The only thing that's stopping this game from being completely pointless is the story. Seeing the characters when they are younger is quite interesting, but the story lacks focus it jumps around too much. Then there's the bugs. Performance issues aside, there are a number of game-breaking bugs which can be avoided with caution but persist throughout the game. It's also difficult to tell where to go in some parts of the game. The multiplayer is tacked on, and doesn't even work most of the time on PC. The concept and class system and stuff is all just flawed and tacked on for the sake of it. Overall, Arkham Origins has solid foundations but fails to expand upon them. Unless you're a big fan of Arkham City or Batman in general, I wouldn't recommend this game over Arkham City. Expand
  16. Oct 31, 2013
    The presentation, story, and acting is great.

However, I wanted a living Gotham. I wanted sky-scrapers. Where are all the "non-criminal" people? Why is the whole city filled with only thugs and corrupt cops? You also messed up the combat somehow, I enjoyed the combat in Asylum in City but I found myself avoiding a lot of the groups in Origins.
  17. Nov 3, 2013
    As of this writing, this game is extremely broken. If it weren't for all the glitches, I would probably give this game a 7 or 8 out of 10, but this has to be the most glitchy game I've played all year. Falling through the floor, getting stuck in walls while climbing a ladder, game freezes up, some NPCs can't be interacted with when you need to for advancing the mission, I couldn't get pastAs of this writing, this game is extremely broken. If it weren't for all the glitches, I would probably give this game a 7 or 8 out of 10, but this has to be the most glitchy game I've played all year. Falling through the floor, getting stuck in walls while climbing a ladder, game freezes up, some NPCs can't be interacted with when you need to for advancing the mission, I couldn't get past a boss fight because the game would mess up during a mid fight cutscene until they released a small patch to fix that specific problem. The list goes on and on. If it weren't for all the glitches, I would say this is a great game. Graphics are amazing, frame rate is extremely smooth on highest settings on my pc, story is pretty good, I love the boss fights. But it's such a broken game, it's disappointing. Expand
  18. Oct 27, 2013
    Just completed the main campaign and while I did enjoy the game, I was sadly disappointed, I even lowered my expectations when I heard about the new developers and the change of voice actors, however I still was not impressed.
    Batman Arkham Origins is NOT by any means a bad game, it's a enjoyable ride for any Batman fan, just lacking in comparison to the amazing Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, not to mention that Origins is just TOO easy, while in Asylum and City the battles were still easy but had some challenge which required you to use the skills you unlocked, in Origins however, there is no need for skill as you can beat every battle with little effort.
    The Boss battles are a great part of the game, my favorite being Deathstroke, but again, none of them pose that much of a challenge.
    The change of voice actors feels strange, whoever decided to cast Roger Craig Smith as Batman can go shoot himself, good god it sounded like that tool Chris Redfield in the Batsuit, while Troy Baker does a pretty good job as the Joker, rest of the cast is....meh.
    Batman Arkham Origins is a decent game, but a massive disappointment and is not worthy of being in the Arkham series. I just hope the true Arkham City sequel comes along soon.
    6.5/10(Decent Game) for Arkham Origins.
  19. Oct 29, 2013
    Very disappointing. A list: Bugs. A lot of bugs. Bad guys stuck in walls. Dead-end rooms that leave you trapped. The kind of bugs that make you wonder if there was any QA at all. This is a knockoff of Arkham City, with a couple of new gizmos and some different baddies, it should not have been difficult to bring the magic that made that game special, but they missed the mark by aVery disappointing. A list: Bugs. A lot of bugs. Bad guys stuck in walls. Dead-end rooms that leave you trapped. The kind of bugs that make you wonder if there was any QA at all. This is a knockoff of Arkham City, with a couple of new gizmos and some different baddies, it should not have been difficult to bring the magic that made that game special, but they missed the mark by a mile. The main story is very, very short, though it had some cool moments. Gotham is big, but the quests use the same three or four locations repeatedly making me wonder why. Most of it is flyover. Side quests are also short and lacking. While Arkham City's Batman was a joy to control, Arkham Origin's Batman gets stuck on things like rolled up carpets or chairs. There are tall, tall buildings which cannot be climbed, and grapple points are missing in a ton of places they should exist. To sum up, it's a very buggy, short, linear game in a giant sandbox that really needed a thorough debugging. My thoughts are that this is what happens when a developer cannot focus and releases versions of a crappy game on every platform in the universe, including for some reason the iPad, but not Android. While the focus is on that platform, the PC game product gets rushed out with bugs and a very short story line.

Multiplayer: I did not buy Arkham Origins to play a third person shooter. Again, the developer has overextended and should have focused on delivering a great installment in this series. Too bad.

Now, I would like to chastise all reviewers and commenters that do not actually play the games they review, but base their opinions on YouTube previews, wishful thinking and marketing material from the developer. Anyone who played this game should have thrown up their hands at the gigantic bugs in the side quests about a third of the way through the game. They should have been frustrated by "Batman's" inability to scale small objects and short walls. The reviewers did not. It's very telling. Giving a hugely positive review to a game this buggy and this disappointing does not help anyone.
  20. Oct 25, 2013
    Like it's predecessors, Arkham Origins is a game in which you play Batman, and you beat up bad guys.

Unlike Arkham Asylum and City, Orgins fails to meet the high standard previously set, and in many areas falls far short of it. Boss fights are basically QTEs where you are locked camera facing the opponent and must click your mouse or press your keys at exactly the right time or be

Boss fights are basically QTEs where you are locked camera facing the opponent and must click your mouse or press your keys at exactly the right time or be punished mercilessly. Side missions also suffer from the same unforgiving, scripted focus. Only after numerous deaths will a hint appear suggesting you might want to try something so hidden that you need the hint to find it. The horrific Mad Hatter section, which uses the Scarecrow platformer gameplay, is a perfect example of this.

The reuse of basic AI behavior and weapons for both Cops and Thugs also smacks of lazy design. Since when do SWAT officers roam the streets with baseball bats and broken bottles?
    The city itself sacrifices content, atmosphere and immersive value to achieve a slightly larger playable area. Not a good trade in my opinion as the game feels noticeably more empty and unalive than City.

Fundamentally the game is solid, though some bugs, specifically the vent grabbing bug, have left certain side missions impossible to complete, and the terrible menu controls for PC are just pathetic.

At least the graphics are nice.
  21. Nov 2, 2013
    I got this game after release. Sad to say it was big letdown. If this game would have been released before Arkham City i would have had nothing to compare it to, but now? In this game they truly pulled Activision business model. Release updated game from before and use 90% of the budget into market, instead of making new innovation structures and develop brand new game that will be superI got this game after release. Sad to say it was big letdown. If this game would have been released before Arkham City i would have had nothing to compare it to, but now? In this game they truly pulled Activision business model. Release updated game from before and use 90% of the budget into market, instead of making new innovation structures and develop brand new game that will be super good sequel. Quick pointers here:

Pro's: New hud and more informative menus, good storytelling in lore, Getting level up means you get something very nice and got a lot of options for it, fast travel method (Hate that bridge), detective mode!

Con's: Story is not catchy at all and takes massive leaps, cinematic's are made pretty badly, voice acting is horrible outside couple of characters. Game is pretty much same as Arkham City, but arkham city had far more interesting story elements.

This game is okay-ish. You don't miss anything if you don't buy it, but if you buy it you prolly just play it for several hours and forget about it for some days. Also this game is unfinished and rushed to stores. When you gonna pull Activision, you should do it properly.

I do hope someday i find it in me to finish this game, until such time i hope people who tight on money won't spend it on this product. There are many others worth the money and time.
  22. Nov 2, 2013
    A game of highs and lows. The plot is fun with satisfying depth of gameplay. However, the game suffers from glitches (many of which make the game unplayable) that ruin the experience. The game also fails to deliver many fresh ideas on the last two games. Requires fixes.
  23. Oct 31, 2013
    I am a huge batman fan-boy, but unfortunately arkham origins cant reach the quality from arkham asylum or arkham city, i wish i could give this game a perfect 10 but with all the game breaking bugs its simply impossible to do so.
    However the storyline is pretty good and fun to play, and the fact that some parts of the map are taken from arkham asylum is in my opinion a good thing because a player feels right at home.
  24. Oct 30, 2013
    Its no Arkham City, the camera sucks and the combat targeting was somehow made worse then the last series, but overall, its still a fun experience. Hopefully the simplistic plot and the glitches will not be repeated in future titles.
  25. Oct 28, 2013
    While i agree that i have my share of fun playing this game i must admit that it brings nothing new at all. I mean Asylum was kind of revolutionary game in my opinion. Great combat system that a lot of games copied later, amazing "silent predator" parts, all that Enigma's riddles and collectives and so on. Next game, Arkham City, wasn't a revolution, but a good evolutionary step forward.While i agree that i have my share of fun playing this game i must admit that it brings nothing new at all. I mean Asylum was kind of revolutionary game in my opinion. Great combat system that a lot of games copied later, amazing "silent predator" parts, all that Enigma's riddles and collectives and so on. Next game, Arkham City, wasn't a revolution, but a good evolutionary step forward. You were able to roam the City, do some side quests or even just help random guys in troubles (you are a super hero after all). And now Origins? Sorry, i can't say this game have something new in it because it has even less content than Arkham City. Map is about the same size (plus this huge bridge in the middle just for no reason) and mostly just a reuse of Arkham City assets, Enigma's riddles gone, Enigma's puzzles are a way easier. Well, the whole game feels like just a reuse of Arkham City idea, engine and everything else. Boss fights became almost QTEs (especially the one with Deathstroke).
    And the worst part of this game is bugs and glitches. I can count myself luck i had only one crush to desktop, while some people experience all kinds of troubles (for example see Angry Joe rant on Youtube). But i think everyone know about that room in one of radio towers you can't exit. That really rise a question about were they even testing it? I mean this is a MAJOR thing that completely broken, there is no way you can't miss it not just with decent testing but just with simple walkthrough. And here is the funniest part there is a video on youtube with workaround of this bug and you need to use one of games glitches. Only in our games you fight bugs with glitches!
    So, overall Origins isn't a great game, nothing new in it. You can argue that there are a lot of good games that aren't original. That's true, but in this situation way to success lays with technical aspects of the game. But Origins isn't the case. After (If) most bugs and glitches will be fixed you probably will be able to enjoy it. But right now it's a mess, so i can give it only 7 out of 10.
  26. Oct 28, 2013
    It's more Batman. Basically, this is a far less interesting version of Batman Arkham City; the writing, art direction, world design are all lacking in comparison. Still, the combat is fun, and you still get to roam around the world as Batman, utilizing all his wonderful toys.
  27. Oct 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. a single sentence can sum up the game quite effectively:
    ITS THE SAME FRIKKIN GAME AS Arkham City!!!
    -Combat is still the same
    -EXACT same gadgets are in. Gel,Crypto-hacky thingy,disruptor,etc
    -Exact same "Detective mode" and crime scene investigation mechanic.
    -SAME CITY. granted bigger, but i still get way to many deja-vu moments of "Ive been here before"
    -Plot "Twist" revealing the joker is AGAIN the main enemy....
    -Enigma (aka Riddler) devices to seek out in puzzles. is that all he ever does?
    -"Scarecrow wannabee" moment with the Mad Hatter using his device to plunge you into a odd world...again!!!!!
    I know its a series, but nothing has changed from the earlier games AT ALL. all the same ingredients are there, just (sometimes) improved.
    My major pet peeves im getting of the game is that the plot started revolving around the Joker AGAIN FOR THE THIRD TIME IN A ROW!!!
    I know he is the titular villian of the batman series, but i doubt he is the only one who can have a plot revolve around. at first it was kind exciting having Black-mask being the titular villain, but about halfway trough you learn its in fact the joker in disguise... Gee how surprising...
    The game has a selling point about batman being "raw" as this is a game set in the beginning of his career and having him go against the cops as well, but this is quickly made moot by the overly pointing out that every cop you do get to fight is so corrupt its basically a thug wearing uniform anyway (and hence treated as such) and the gadgets are still just as high-tech as first. the new graphics are nice, but its hardly that much better then AC. its just the same as AC and to be frank i think that story was more compelling then this as well.
    I went in with hopes, but they got crushed as the game quickly showed its basically just a slightly expanded Arkham city with the same goons, the same challenges, same plots and same EVERYTHING. it plays like a cheap mediocre Hollywood sequel made for the sole purpose of trying to get more bucks from its audience... *sigh*
    If you have a batman itch, play Arkham city (again). this isn't worth the full price tag
    Personal note: Why is the game called ARKHAM origins anyway?? this has nothing to do with the asylum at all.
  28. Oct 27, 2013
    Arkham City was a great game that could have used some interface improvements for PC. Arkham Origins just a poor copy of Arkham City (Think "Die Hard 3). AC has the same moves with a better story line, better control setup, and better 3D support. Buy it for cheap now and skip AO for a year. I use 3D Vision so the 2D cutscenes in this game kill me (AC was 3D cutscenes btw)! I can'tArkham City was a great game that could have used some interface improvements for PC. Arkham Origins just a poor copy of Arkham City (Think "Die Hard 3). AC has the same moves with a better story line, better control setup, and better 3D support. Buy it for cheap now and skip AO for a year. I use 3D Vision so the 2D cutscenes in this game kill me (AC was 3D cutscenes btw)! I can't believe the steps backward Warner Bros took. AC's interface was "consolie" but usable in PC. AO's is even worse. You can't even use the mouse to drag objective box around in the map screen. You must pan using aswd. That whole section of the game (abilities, profiles, maps, should be redone. Hell, even the console players would benefit from a rework. Switch it so they can control a mouse and use click and click-drag. It would benefit all of us. This game is an obvious money-grab with no notable improvement on gameplay or story. Now brace yourselves for the onslaught of 3rd-rate DLC sure to come. The multiplayer is nice but won't replace the great online experience brought by Left 4 Dead 2, Payday 2, BF series, COD, and many others. Expand
  29. Nov 4, 2013
    This is a great game, everything you would want from an Arkham game, and the best story out of all three.

It's the large amount of easily found, game ruining bugs that WB Montreal have chose to release this game with that drags what would be a 9/10 to a 6/10. WBM will fix them eventually (i hope), but there's no excuse for letting such an unpolished game get released. Six out of ten

Six out of ten as of now 04/11/2013.

Nine out of ten when they wise up and fix the main problems.
    (mainly one bane killing bug, I mean game killing bug)
  30. Nov 2, 2013
    This game wasn't made by Rocksteady, but by WB's internal studio. In result it's not as good as it could be. From the first minutes it feels a bit unpolished. Later some serious bugs appeared. Combat somehow feels not as good as in previous game. Something was broken there. Navigating the city although not as fluid as it was. But still it's a very good game.
  31. Apr 15, 2014
    This game was a huge disappointment that was riddled with bugs. The real travesty is comparing this game with its predecessor Batman Arkham City in which this game doesn't even come close. The open world in Origins is a dead and lifeless copy of the heavily populated and visually stunning world of City. Pass this one up.
  32. Oct 25, 2013
    As a big big fan of the two previous Arkham games i was extremely weary when it was announced the developer and big part of the cast would change and it would be a prequel. And i was proven right This is nothing but a cash grab that's basically the same game than Arkham City but with a worse story a worse cast and way way way less heart Gotham feels empty the story is boring andAs a big big fan of the two previous Arkham games i was extremely weary when it was announced the developer and big part of the cast would change and it would be a prequel. And i was proven right This is nothing but a cash grab that's basically the same game than Arkham City but with a worse story a worse cast and way way way less heart Gotham feels empty the story is boring and uninteresting The gameplay is still very good although it feels slightly off here and there for whatever reason .

All in all get this in a sale at a discount but not at full price if you played the first two games and if you haven't get those instead. It's not a bad game by any means it's just not very good either.
  33. Oct 25, 2013
    The first thing I noticed when playing was the worsening in the quality of graphics. This is strange because it uses the same engine as Arkham City but it has poorer shadows and is glitchier than Asylum. After going through the intro phase of the game, you begin the EXACT same way as City. You must defuse Penguin's frequency disrupters, fight in a gladiator arena and then defeat his aceThe first thing I noticed when playing was the worsening in the quality of graphics. This is strange because it uses the same engine as Arkham City but it has poorer shadows and is glitchier than Asylum. After going through the intro phase of the game, you begin the EXACT same way as City. You must defuse Penguin's frequency disrupters, fight in a gladiator arena and then defeat his ace etc. Did they literally just re-image a few characters, back grounds, and call it a day? It continues down this path and is littered with melodramatic catch phrasing to top off poor dialogue. It feels more like Die Hard than Batman.

I love the series and I didn't want to think this was just expanded DLC but the story line matches up too closely with the fact that Black Mask, Falcone, Julian Day, and other B listers were set up in the last game (I love the under appreciated villains btw). It is apparent they just wanted an opportunity to cut corners and sell Joker statues. Continuity is all askew until you realize this was meant to take place after Arkham City and be done by Rocksteady.

Only buy if you HAVE to have Batman, like me. I just hope this doesn't mark the end of a series like Gears of War Eday: a money grab by expanding DLC.
  34. Oct 29, 2013
    The game is good but they haven't added much since Batman: Arkham Asylum. The story is good, characters are nice but the progression system isn't as good as in Arkham Asylum and Arkham City.
  35. Oct 30, 2013
    Same game as AA or AC. There are some nice new things but it plays exactly as it predecessors (from the few of them i must mention batcave). Luckily, the fights are still great, story isnt as good as AC but still great and the new enemies bring variety to the boss fights. Overally its good but kinda repetetive.
  36. Oct 25, 2013
    Its jsut awesome, im enjoing this much more then i didi to AC and AA. Batman is absolute badass, enemies are tough o nhard difficalty and fighting overall looks better. Graphics are impressing. I recomend this game to everyone
  37. Oct 27, 2013
    weak and unbalanced, full of bugs
    really looks like a quick attempt to cash in on the success of previous titles.
    But no passion and fine crafting went into that one.
  38. May 2, 2014
    Batman: Arkham Origins feels like a sequel, and while it was a very decent game, the fact that I had more or less played it twice before weighed on it. It was a further refinement, and better than Arkham City, but the pacing problems Arkham City introduced weren't resolved, and indeed, the story was even more scattered than Arkham City's was, making it feel like an excuse to fight a bunchBatman: Arkham Origins feels like a sequel, and while it was a very decent game, the fact that I had more or less played it twice before weighed on it. It was a further refinement, and better than Arkham City, but the pacing problems Arkham City introduced weren't resolved, and indeed, the story was even more scattered than Arkham City's was, making it feel like an excuse to fight a bunch of bad guys rather than an interesting and coherent plot by the Joker. And unfortunately, after three games, the predator encounters are wearing a bit thin; they need to mix them up more, and change things so that the same thing is not done every single time. I don't want more things to do; I want better things to do. Running around beating up thugs for no reason is not what Batman does; the story missions are what he does. The games should focus more on that experience, and work more to add stuff which makes the PLAYER have to think and puzzle things out, something which was lacking from this game. Batman is the world's greatest detective, and he not only out-fights, but out-thinks his opponents, and in this game, that is sorely lacking. Indeed, the "detective work" in the game actually involved no thought at all on the part of the player - it was purely just batman narrating as you held the space bar. It was, thus, a waste.
    Overall, enjoyable but not great in the way the first game was, and the formula is beginning to wear a bit thin.
  39. Nov 6, 2013
    If there's one thing that's noticeably true about Arkham Origins it's that Rocksteady's departure is definitely felt.

Some pretty glaring bugs and glitches aside, Origins' biggest issue is that it lacks any kind of actual innovation. Whereas Arkham City outdid Arkham Asylum by MILES, Origins feels like the previous game just with a different coat of paint. Combat has hardly changed (besides not feeling as fluid as before), Batman has more-or-less the same gadgets or different ones that fill the same role as previous ones, and the world map feels a lot smaller and emptier despite actually being larger than the one from Arkham City.

The only thing Origins really has going for it is its story.

Many new characters to the series make their debut here and some the familiar faces are introduced all over again as they come into contact with Batman for the first time. As this is Batman's second year of crime fighting we get to witness things like the GCPD's (and specifically James Gordon's) absolute mistrust of the Dark Knight, Alfred's sincere concern in regards to Bruce's physical and mental health, Batman's own ongoing fight to conquer his own fears and figure out where he must stand morally in the fight for justice, and the beginnings of the Joker's obsession with Batman.

Overall it's definitely a beefy script that covers a lot but it does falter in a couple of ways namely in terms of focus. Going into the game we knew that the set-up was that Black Mask put a bounty on Batman's head and eight different assassins/villains are coming after him. Less than halfway into the game though that story arc is all but abandoned as the Joker takes center stand and shortly after is followed by Bane. The assassin arc then takes the back seat and a majority of the eight sent after you are relegated to side missions. While this shifting about doesn't exactly hurt the game it could've only helped if there had been a bit more focus.

In the end, when it comes down to it Arkham Origins is the weakest of the "Arkham Trilogy" but a worthy addition nonetheless.
  40. Oct 27, 2013
    Nothing new since Arkham City. Instead one city we get another. I'm very disappointed. No interesting story, same gameplay, but it's look nice, that's the positive side.
  41. Nov 16, 2013
    I find myself in a bit of a pickle; on one hand you have one of the greatest comic book super heroes of all time. On the other hand you have a prequel to a fantastic series that is very near and dear to my heart.

If this game was a stand alone and hadn't another title in its series, then maybe it would be scored higher. That being said I just couldn't find it in me to give a bad grade given the fact that it is so much like its previous games.

The game changed company and in some ways that is a bad decision.

Rocksteady could have made seemingly one of the greatest games of all time along side Arkham City if they still had their hand in it. The game seems more of a port with a few added instances than a stand alone game. That coming from the fact that Asylum to City was such a drastic change, that I was kind of hoping the same would happen with Origins.

Joker and Batman just seem a little off in their ramblings. Yes, they have personalities but for the most part they seemed pretty bland. Now that is not to say they didn't do an outstanding job with their acting. They hit their parts that were on par with the writing. City's batman was cool and edgy but exploded when he needed too. It was almost like he had been calm and collected but was able to dish out the anger when it was needed.

Now it just seems like he is going the Christian Bale route of just yelling at everything. It worked for Bale, his batman is a broken man who is hiding behind his money and his mask, and Bale worked hard to make it seem like that. City's batman had a playboy side though that was apparent whenever he talked, how the villains didn't catch on was stupid but I digress.

This is obviously not Kevin and Mark anymore, this is some newer cast members playing characters that shouldn't have switched hands when the game changed companies. That being said I have to commend them. They did a good job executing what was in the game and for some parts I really thought that they were batman and the joker. It is a shame that Mark and Kevin had to leave, I understand fully why they did but as a fan-boy it would have been one hell of a last go to see them finish it up with origins.

The game play is similar, the graphics are improved but still confined and over all the hype I had for this game was not met when it released. I will still play it and will still enjoy it but I will definitely like to go back to Arkham City to see the old crew back together.

Game play: 18/25
    Graphics: 22/25
    Originality: 15/25
    Story: 18/25

Final Score 73/100
  42. Mar 6, 2014
    First of all. I find it completely unbelievable that people are giving this game 10s and 9s, even though the devs have admitted that the game has Game Breaking Bugs and that they aren't even planning on fixing them. But they have time to create new DLC for them game instead. That's a very bad act to do.

This game.. it's a very mediocre product when you've used to Rocksteady's quality masterpieces. This game has numerous cutscenes used over and over again, numerous objects are being re-used all the time, Batman has actually quite un-cool gadgets. I thought there was supposed to be a whole list of new and cool gadgets like the devs hyped. Apparently not.
    The map is either not twice the size of Arkham City like the devs hyped. When the two islands combined, it's barely the size of Arkham City. Not by anymeans larger than AC.

This game is just a massive cash-in on the Arkham name. It's nothing compared to previous two. I give this game a 5 since it has massive amount of critical bugs and all the lazyness of re-using everything in this game.
  43. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have mixed thoughts about Batman: Arkham Origins as much as I love Arkham Asylum this game has some good qualities and bad ones. For instance the bugs holy crap are those bugs annoying it just freezes when Im about to fight Deathstroke and I cannot fix it other flaw in the game is the grappling hook my god there are so many obvious things to grapple onto but it can't for some reason making it more difficult to get on higher ground but the BIGGEST thing wrong in this game is (SPOILER ALERT) the Joker because they just had to put him in there and as the main antagonist as well as the final boss What the hell after (SPOILER ALERT) Joker died in Arkham City they decided to bring him back just because probably they think: Joker=Better well it does not always make Batman better when you the Joker other people made something from Batman and didn't add the Joker and was still a success. Now lets talk about the good things well Arkham Origins does have an interesting story despite having the Joker in it the boss fights are alot of fun and the gameplay is very similar to Arkham Asylum and Arkham City if you loved the first two then you might be a bit disappointed like was Im glad I played once probably will play it sometime in the future. 6/10 Expand
  44. Nov 1, 2013
    This game was one big disappointment for me. Basically the same locations as in Arkham City are great but behind that scenery one can only find a huge lack of plot, scenario, direction and whatever it needs to make an exciting interactive entertainment out of just a good game.
    Everyone who knows a little tiny bit about programming should consider a PC game as a software product first of all and program user (aka "gamer" in the particular case) is expecting to get good experience and performance. And here we've got another big problem of the game. It's got so many glitches, bugs and crashes that the game looks more like open beta rather than $40-blockbuster. Seriously, Valve had less bugs in their DotA2 open beta. Of course, patches make things better, but the first impression is the strongest.
    So, in the end we have something too non-solid to be a good 'playing'-game, and too lacking in direction and plot to be a good 'movie-like'-game.
  45. Mar 14, 2014
    It repeats the same thing again - sure, it does. But it does it well, technically and gameplay-wise it's no worse than the previous two games. They could put the Rocksteady logo at the beginning and no one would notice. This is a big Arkham City DLC and is a good game in its own right. If you have not played the previous games, though - this may as well be your 10/10 GOTY.
  46. Nov 20, 2013
    The Arkham series is one of my favorites, and tho this game was not made by the original studio, the game was good still. They improved the gameplay, you can move more freely and combat feels more challenging. What they did with detective mode making it more elaborated was good too. The story while not as well developed as the previous games, it still hold it's own. The best thing aboutThe Arkham series is one of my favorites, and tho this game was not made by the original studio, the game was good still. They improved the gameplay, you can move more freely and combat feels more challenging. What they did with detective mode making it more elaborated was good too. The story while not as well developed as the previous games, it still hold it's own. The best thing about this game is the boss fights, they really improved the game in that department.
    Gotham may be bigger, but it doesn't feel as well developed, same thing with the story. The voice acting is not bad, but you do miss the previous actors. Overall Batman Arkham Origins is a good game, but not great.
  47. May 20, 2015
    Alot of people have said this is the worst Batman Arkham game that has been made so far. And that is true. However, this is still a good game that, while it may not live up to the standards set by the first two games, it is still good on its own.
    The main problem with the game is the fact that everything in this game is, seemingly, a copy and paste from Arkham City. From the world it's in to the combat system, everything here feels the same and that's because it is the same. Some minor changes to the gameplay and the different way the Riddler Trophies are set up now (they are datapacks instead of trophies) is about all thats different here.
    The story kinda makes up for that in the fact that they had a great premise that had an average ending. The game had alot of promise but it's clear they didn't put alot of effort into the game. WB was content with taking about 75% of Arkham City, throwing a few new bad guys in there, and calling it a day. It's still worth playing but not to the point that City and Asylum were at when they were released.
  48. Nov 29, 2013
    This is not the same Batman (Asylum and City) that you are used to. The combat is slightly off, the game was rushed, it contains numerous glitches, and the villains are second tier to say the least. Clearly, WB has "EA'd" this game. They are no doubt going to continue to push crappy DLC, worthless online, and substandard single player modes in an attempt to make more money. PlayingThis is not the same Batman (Asylum and City) that you are used to. The combat is slightly off, the game was rushed, it contains numerous glitches, and the villains are second tier to say the least. Clearly, WB has "EA'd" this game. They are no doubt going to continue to push crappy DLC, worthless online, and substandard single player modes in an attempt to make more money. Playing Origins, you quickly realize that WB making money is more important that making games. It's a shame. Expand
  49. Apr 21, 2014
    I was generally excited for this game. My fears about a second dev working on it were alleviated with rockstar giving them a big thumbs up. this game is a mockery of the quality found in asylum and city. the fighting is very poor, you will constantly fail to keep your streak going for failure of the game to sense where your next enemies is location and everything about it just seems like aI was generally excited for this game. My fears about a second dev working on it were alleviated with rockstar giving them a big thumbs up. this game is a mockery of the quality found in asylum and city. the fighting is very poor, you will constantly fail to keep your streak going for failure of the game to sense where your next enemies is location and everything about it just seems like a simple cut and paste job from city except in the case of riddler trophies they are actually easier. pass this game up if you consider getting it. not worth it at all it will lead to just total frustration in the end. Expand
  50. Feb 24, 2014
    I am a Batman fan but I won't be biased on my reviews. Batman Arkham Origins, for my opinion, is a great game added on the franchise. It uses almost similar game play to the last Arkham games from RockSteady, but with its story, this is where it pulled it up. The game's story was well presented and it just lacked some of the key villains. I don't know if this is a spoiler or not butI am a Batman fan but I won't be biased on my reviews. Batman Arkham Origins, for my opinion, is a great game added on the franchise. It uses almost similar game play to the last Arkham games from RockSteady, but with its story, this is where it pulled it up. The game's story was well presented and it just lacked some of the key villains. I don't know if this is a spoiler or not but whatever. Talking about the graphics of the game, pretty much polished and improved compared to Asylum and City. Overall, the game is nice, but not enough to be a great successor or prequel of the series. Hopefully the upcoming DLC will make this a better game and story. Expand
  51. Jun 5, 2015
    Out of the 3 games already released, this, asylum and city. this is certainly the worst of the bunch. It feels different but not in the right way, the combat is far too easy, the dialogue is no where near as good, the storyline is pretty pants and my biggest complaint was how long it went on for!!! Come the end of the story is become a drag which is never good in a game.
  52. Jun 2, 2015
    I have played the previous two batmans before this one so this is where I am coming from for this review. If you are like me, everything is very familiar when you first start playing this game. It seems like you are about to emark on a journey where you feel like you are playing assassains creed and realize everything is the same as the last game with a new place. And that is how it startsI have played the previous two batmans before this one so this is where I am coming from for this review. If you are like me, everything is very familiar when you first start playing this game. It seems like you are about to emark on a journey where you feel like you are playing assassains creed and realize everything is the same as the last game with a new place. And that is how it starts out and I almost gave up.

But I perservered and was glad I did. At about the halfway point is where things pick up a little. The story gets good, battles get harder, and you have to use your full arsenal to make progress. Yes it does get a little repatitive and many parts are just like the old games but it does just enough to keep you pushing through. Graphics as always were very beautiful and remember to turn of PhysX because it breaks everything.

I wouldn't pay full price for this but if it is ever on sale id say go for it. It is a very good game overall.
  53. Dec 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoy playing as batman, and I like the ability to use the batwing to get from one end to the other quickly. However, this batman seems to lack something. It's noticible that splash damage made this game, the makers of Brink, and not rocksteady. It's just not as fun when thinking of the other two previous games.

I'm also not keen on the forced online mode. It doesn't seem fun at all trying to play FPS in batman game. Sure wish this was batman and robin playing together through the city in co-op mode, with more story. That would have been fun.

WARNING: THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS BELOW THIS POINT

mARK HAMill is the only joker outside of Heath Ledger, or Jack Nicolson. The Joker in this seems forced, too different in character from the other games. The change of both batman and Joker's voice in this game broke the asthetic for me, and the connection the other two games built.
  54. Nov 16, 2013
    Bugs mostly fixed, it's an okay game at this point. Not nearly as great as its predecessors, however, it pales in comparison to the other Arkham games. AC especially blows AO away; the story of AO isn't nearly as gripping, and the controls aren't as intuitive, as the excellent middle child of this franchise.
  55. Dec 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game was alright. Wasn't good and it wasn't bad. I enjoyed some of the additions such as crimes in progress and the most wanted series but I didn't really make full use of the bat simulator in the bat cave. I also really appreciated the fast travel system because the map in arkham origins is pretty damn big. I couldn't really get into the game however because of the negative hype surrounding it. I also found some of the bosses frustrating and buggy such as killer Croc and bane but I got the the bridge part of the game and decided to call it quits then. All in all, if you are a huge batman fan, you will want to get this game but you may find it disappointing. Expand
  56. Nov 9, 2013
    I have played about three hours now and already encountered multiple bugs, glitches, craches and all sorts of jacked up problems. Some parts of the fighting system are better than before, some are worse.... Reuse of Arkham City models, same weather, same empty streets (with the excuse of a storm which really doesn't seem that strong for every single citizen of gotham to be inside)...I have played about three hours now and already encountered multiple bugs, glitches, craches and all sorts of jacked up problems. Some parts of the fighting system are better than before, some are worse.... Reuse of Arkham City models, same weather, same empty streets (with the excuse of a storm which really doesn't seem that strong for every single citizen of gotham to be inside)...
    Overall it just feels like they were desperately trying to milk the cashcow.
  57. Dec 12, 2015
    Gameplay : 7
    Graphics : 8
    Story : 8
    Sound : 8
    Overall : 7
  58. Nov 25, 2015
    Of the first three Batman games in this series, this is my least favorite. Note: I have not played nor do I intend to play Arkham Knight.

I've been playing games longer than I care to remember. I find myself using the walkthrough for this game more than any game I can recall. The story is very linear, so if you decide to go "open" and roam about to do random things, it's sometimes hard to get back on track. In some parts of the side missions, you can find yourself in a dead end with no obvious way to proceed, thus the need for the walkthroughs.

Combat has been made noticeably harder, and it's not uncommon to get into situations where you can do little more than wait for enemy attacks and repeatedly counter until the number of enemies get to a manageable level. Note I'm playing on "normal" and am not great at "button masher" combat, but had no issues with Arkham Asylum or Arkham City.

Other than some of the villains, this game really brings nothing new to the series. You're just as well to go back and play either Arkham Asylum or Arkham City again, to be honest. The "year zero" approach just doesn't work for me. Revealing Joker as if Batman didn't know who he was? I understand what the makers are trying to do, but this approach is lame for anyone other than those who are truly noobs to the character. If this approach had been used in the first game, it would not have been any more effective, but would have at least been a logical progression.

I will say that the Cold, Cold Heart campaign is the one exception to my comments above. I don't want to spoil it for anyone that is considering a purchase and wants surprises, but this part of the game was original and broke the mold (as much as you can) compared to AA and AC. I find myself wondering why this wasn't rolled into the overall game as the starting point for the "real" campaign... oh, well.

If you're looking for something fresh and original in the Batman Arkham series, this really isn't it. If you're ok with something that's largely a replay of AA and AC, with a little freshness from Cold, Cold Heart? Overall, I find this game more frustrating from getting stuck than fun from the limited freshness. Since I have to pick up or down, I pick down because I don't like games that make me (a reasonably intelligent and long-time gamer) get angry. Hopefully my comments have given you enough context that you can make you're own decision.

If you get a good deal and REALLY like Batman, you probably won't be disappointed. Even though I get angry at times, I'm "pushing through the pain" for now to see how the rest of the story unfolds. That said, if you were here in my house you would hear far more cussing at the computer screen than is normally the case with games I choose to invest time in.
  59. Nov 7, 2013
    The game is a copy of Arkham City but without that very things everyone loved in the Arkham series small details that only a true geek can see. If you want to start playing the Arkham series start playing with this game, Arkham Asylum is better and Arkham City is way better!
  60. Nov 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spoilers are minor background facts that reveal which characters are in the game and what their motivation/methods are, not plot-twist spoilers.

Have finished the story mode for Batman Arkham Origins. It's not that I'd say to avoid it when it hits the bargain bin, but on the whole it's a real disappointment for fans of the Arkham franchise.

First, the good: There are a couple of fun new gadgets. The remote claw bring a little relief to Predator Encounters, and the shock gloves really do help in combat encounters. Everything else new is redundant. The idea of Riddler hiding blackmail information makes more sense than those dumb question marks from the first two games. Bringing in a lot more super-villains is a fun idea in story-planning if not perfectly executed in story-telling.

Also, the combat objective xp system is really fun. There are three categories of 15 combat achievements each. Accomplishing each achievement results in xp and certain ones unlock new attacks or gadgets. A good idea and provides some fun new challenges.
    Now, the bad: The story is outlandish, and not in the accepted "super-villains are outlandish" way. The timeline, motivations, and responses from everyone but Bats don't make any sense.

The game embarrassed me a little, because for three or four years I've bragged on the franchise never needing patches. It's always been ready to go right out of the box. Not this time. Every other time I played I'd hit some point where a line of code didn't respond as expected, keeping a fight scene from starting or ending or keeping an objective from being fulfilled (or recognizing that one had been fulfilled). There are also some graphics bugs, including a ridiculous hiccup that attacks Batman's gliding animation every so often.

The combat engine has been tweaked (but I don’t think re-written entirely). NPCs strike MUCH more frequently and much faster than before, which makes sense. However you can't necessarily block their strikes if you're in mid-animation; of course other times you can block even if you're in the middle of an elaborate animation. Inconsistent. The increased attack frequencies make you re-think your approach to combat, and if you want those high multipliers (especially before you get the shock gloves), you'll need to get comfortable doing 3-4 blocks in a row, attacking a couple of times, and settling in for 3-4 more blocks before another set of attacks. Once you get ok with this, you can start getting 50+ multipliers without a problem. Fight it, though, and you'll actually get killed a lot more than you'd expect.

The voice acting is definitely inferior to both original games. Gordon's may be the only voice that got the same actor. Bat's actor doesn't know how to deliver a menacing line at all (it doesn't help that Origin's writers weren't nearly as creative with his intimidation lines) and has a nasty habit of emphasizing words that neighbor the ones he should really punch. Joker's actor sounds more irritated than psychopathic. Bane's is forgettable. Barb's is that of a 16 year old girl.

Riddler's, however, is still pretty decent, though the emergence story they try to tell doesn't make sense in the context of the character. Here he's driven by a desire to route out corruption (using corrupt methods, granted). This contrasts pretty strongly against his usual motivation--self-glorification and the need to pack a sucking chest wound of inferiority.

Overall, across the spectrum of all video games you can buy at this point, I'd give it a B+/A-. On the spectrum of games we expect real quality from (COD, Battlefield, Arkham, Borderlands, Bioshock, etc, etc), I'd give it a D+/C-.
  61. Nov 12, 2013
    I know what the guys in WB were thinking: "Hey, lets make some easy bucks off the countless players who adore Arkham games.It Does not take too much effort: Lets copy paste everything from the previous games and just write a new story."...And they did that, exactly!This game in the state as it was released is not half as good, inventive, fun as any other in the series. Please, wouldI know what the guys in WB were thinking: "Hey, lets make some easy bucks off the countless players who adore Arkham games.It Does not take too much effort: Lets copy paste everything from the previous games and just write a new story."...And they did that, exactly!This game in the state as it was released is not half as good, inventive, fun as any other in the series. Please, would someone explain to me why a boss fight(Deadshot) takes HALF AN HOUR??Why the number of the enemies and their equipment in the boss fight and the boss's behavior is random?I am playing on medium difficulty and It gets really tedious after a while.And i am saying this as i played both Rocksteady's Arkham games till the end and loved everything about them(Yes, even the Boss fights!)WB Montreal has made some VERY POOR design choices if you ask me,other than that:AO has lots of bugs, suffers from glitches and repetitiveness.The positives: RS's game mechanics are there, with some minor improvements.Still, This game need a lot of polishing, bug fixing and improving from the developers.I'd give it a 7, but in the state its now in, only 5/10 Expand
  62. Dec 15, 2013
    The Devs are not only reviewing their own game in the user reviews, giving perfect 10's with reviews that read like Infomercial Ads, and ignoring everything wrong with it. They also released a game that is unpolished, buggy, and slapped together in an obvious rush.

After playing the masterpiece that was Arkham City and the much acclaimed Arkham Asylum, I can't help but feel that the developers just copy and pasted bits and pieces carelessly. It shows in everything, even the animations. This could have worked as DLC, but not as a whole new game with a premium price tag.
  63. Dec 17, 2013
    The good is simple, everything you liked about Arkham City as far as game play goes, is back in full force with better boss battles. How it all gels together though is to be desired. Now for the bad:

Story: Now, my favourite aspect of a game's story is the level of urgency (hence why Bioshock 1 is my least favourite of the 3 and why I just never got into the Last of Us (and probably

Story:

Now, my favourite aspect of a game's story is the level of urgency (hence why Bioshock 1 is my least favourite of the 3 and why I just never got into the Last of Us (and probably wouldn't care much for 2 souls)). I dont feel the initial rush I felt in either Asylum or City. Man, those games were great at the beginning, so immersive. This one left me a bit in the cold (HA! Cause it's winter...). The story seemed hap hazard, which makes sense for a more open world game. This game, more unlike the other two, wants to be an open world game where you are Batman doing whatever Batman has to do, confronting a bunch of villains a night. I prefer stories where the city is actually at stake, rather than my own life (or rather, Batman's life). This game is more personal and more akin to an open world game like Skyrim than a metroid vania type game with a singular story.

In Arkham Origins, there is a scene where people are held hostage and batman tells Alfred he has to handle it first before doing anything else. There was great immediacy. But then I realized I didnt have to help right away. I could scan some tagged buildings or take out one of Enigma's networks. Even while on the actual mission, I can just do whatever I want when I want to.

Game Design

My complaints are on this game having a different intention than the previous where it is trying to be more of a grand theft auto game. HOWEVER, if it is to have different intentions, then why is it a copy paste of the other games? Especially City. This angers me to no end. Yes, I agree, the riddler trophies in City may have been tedious, but I didnt see it that way then. I needed this game to see it, and you know why? Because it's the same thing. Everything has been copy pasted. Instead of Zsaz making you travel to a location, you have Anarky. Instead of riddler trophies, you have data packs instead of riddler signs that only get revealed with detective vision (my personal favourite from Azylum), you have Anarcky tags (why would he use invisible ink to tag big buildings to show that he's an activist, isn't that counter intuitive?), instead of Venom containers, you have Black Mask drug containers (I think), DeadShot is still just a sidequest like before (after all that marketing, really?), instead of TIGER Cameras, you have Riddler network servers/modems/antennas and the list goes on. There is no inventiveness; it’s just a tedious copy paste of previous missions that are included here because they were found in other games before. This makes no sense story wise and is very boring game play wise.

If you really want this Batman game, at least wait till after Christmas when it’s cheaper.
  64. Nov 23, 2013
    At first it's very fun. But firstly. The game has a whole los of bugs, and secondly, it is very repetitive. After some time it's always the same. Button-smashing, gliding arund and battling Bosses.
  65. Nov 25, 2013
    The Batman Arkham series has been critically acclaimed for it's fast paced action, fluid combat and above all because "you're Batman". Batman Arkham Origins is a prequel to the series and although it is not as revolutionary as the other two games I would say it is still a great addition to the series. This game features Batman meeting some of the Gotham super-villains for the first timeThe Batman Arkham series has been critically acclaimed for it's fast paced action, fluid combat and above all because "you're Batman". Batman Arkham Origins is a prequel to the series and although it is not as revolutionary as the other two games I would say it is still a great addition to the series. This game features Batman meeting some of the Gotham super-villains for the first time such as The Joker, Bane, Deadshot and Black Mask. The graphics in this game are a step up from Arkham City and Batman has a new batsuit that looks more armoured. The combat remains the same with a few new gadgets such as the concussion detonator. The story is great, it starts with Black Mask putting a bounty of 50 million dollars on the death of Batman. Eight assassins take up the offer Bane, Deadshot, Firefly, Deathstroke, Shiva, copperhead, Electrocutioner and Killer Croc. I will not tell you more about the story for spoiler reasons but I can reveal that there is a massive twist. There are many bossfights and I must say they were all very good and polished compared to the Arkham City ones that were stun, beatdown,stun beatdown,stun beatdown, knockout. The one I enjoyed most was the copperhead bossfight when she drugged you and she made you see lots of her and you have to beat all the clones to harm the actual copperhead. This was reminiscent of the arkham asylum scarecrow fear gas hallucinations. There was a few bugs and glithches the first time I played through, one made me not able to complete the game, but these have been generally fixed with patches so it should be fine play right now. The multiplayer is a new addition to the series which I did not have very high hopes for but it surprised me and I found I loved it. There are 3 teams 2v3v3 You are either Batman or Robin on one side and the other 2 teams are Joker's goons or Bane's goons. As batman or Robin you fly around, sorry glide around taking out thugs stealthily because only a few bullets can kill you, while you do this a meter is filling up for every takedown and if this meter is full then Batman and Robin win however this is very hard to do although it is fun silent takedowning (is that a word?) real people for once, not that I'd do it in real life(I've tried it didn't work but I got a sharp slap from one of my brothers).The Gang's job is to capture posts and kill off the other team's reinforcement counter. If one of the gang's are killed off then the other gang wins.Once per game one person in the gang's will have a chance to play as Bane or The Joker which is also an enjoyable experience. Overall Batman Arkham Origins is very good. The game felt new at the beginning but then it just felt like a bigger Arkham city until you meet The Joker then it feels like a unique game again. WB Montreal has done enough taking over Rocksteady for this game to make it an enjoyable experience but some of the game just felt like the same S**t put into a new title but thankfully there was enough variation to make this game feel like it's own game although it is not revolutionary. If you liked the last 2 games you will love this game because it is more of what you love and then some. Thanks for reading and remember "your batman". Expand
  66. Dec 29, 2013
    I really really really don't know how to feel about Batman Arkham Origins. First of all I was stoked when I heard about it and preordered it as soon as possible. When I got it I locked myself in my room for the entire weekend and played. That at least was my plan, until a couple of bugs appeared that made it impossible to continue playing. But by now I've finished it thankfully theyI really really really don't know how to feel about Batman Arkham Origins. First of all I was stoked when I heard about it and preordered it as soon as possible. When I got it I locked myself in my room for the entire weekend and played. That at least was my plan, until a couple of bugs appeared that made it impossible to continue playing. But by now I've finished it thankfully they quickly came up with patches for the PC version and storywise it was a great game. Unfortunately the story couldn't unfold it's entre potential because the game-play just straight away sucked. Batman no longer moves as fluidly, which is especially annoying when having to deal with larger groups of enemies. The freeflow everyone loved in Arkham Asylum and Arkham City has become no more than a painful itch between your buttcheeks. And do I even have to mention the Electrocutioner?
    This game held so many great possibilities, but it's rather poorly made, and I kinda regret having paid 45€ for it. Anyways, playing it was great fun, the side-missions are fantastic and there's a lot about it fans of the franchise will love.
  67. Dec 22, 2013
    Game by itself looks pretty good, but fighting is boring and story is terrible. This game isn´t so bad. But this game isn´t good either. It´s 50% done and 50% fu××ed up. Starts great... continues horribly wrong... ends not so bad. But anyway I won´t recommend it.
  68. Dec 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yeah, it was never going to be Arkham City and break any of the records that it set, but it was definitely a good try to continue the series. When I first got this game (on xbox) I played it until I had about ten-fifteen hours of gameplay total. However, I was then hit by a bug that caused the game to crash and corrupt my data, meaning I had to start again. As you can imagine, this was very, very frustrating, and enough for me to lower the score from 8 to 7. Aside from that, I encountered no other bugs and everything ran smoothly.
    As for the story; I was very impressed with it, and I feel that it will go down as one of the most underrated stories of all time. However, I'm not talking about a lot of the Batman side of it (even though he's obviously the main character). I am talking about the small section where you play as joker and experience things from Joker's point of view. Visually, this was very impressive, and Troy Baker excellent voiceover really made me feel as if I was getting into the core of who Joker is.
    The mechanic remained the same- I'm sure the newbie WB studios used an ethos of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' with the combat. That said, I felt that the combat was lacking some of the snappy responsiveness that it had in City, to the point where I had to press counter BEFORE the counter marker came up, risking losing my combo. Detective mode has been redone, and it was impressive. The first few times round. After a lot of case files, the whole 'rewind, fast forward' thing became really tedious.
    To round it off; This is a good game. Still one of the best batman games out there. Probably superior to Asylum, but nowhere near the perfection of City.
  69. Nov 11, 2014
    "Batman: Arkham Origins" features riveting boss battles and an intriguing multiplayer system, but it lacks new and fresh ideas established by the previous Caped Crusader's games.
  70. Jun 30, 2014
    It all comes down to the price for me. I paid less than $10.00 through steam summer sale, and at that price I'd actually give this game an 8/10. However, it launched with a price tag of $60.00 and is still $30.00 after the summer sale was over. At those prices the game isn't worth the money.

Why? Cons: REALLY choppy. This game had many glitches, and didn't feel "new" in the

Why?

Cons: REALLY choppy. This game had many glitches, and didn't feel "new" in the slightest bit. If you are a big fan of Arkham City this might be your type of game. It feels very similar, and feels like it has a lot of copy and pasting from the new developers.

Pros: The story line. It was surprisingly entertaining, it had a few good twists, and kept me wanting to continue the main story line. Some of the side plots were also some what interesting. It did a good job with keeping in sync with the Rocksteady "feel," and definitely makes me want to see the third Rocksteady Batman installment even more.
  71. Sep 4, 2014
    Definitely has its issues and it's nowhere near "Arkham Asylum" and "Arkham City" but still a good effort. Kinda disappointed because I expected more from this game given that the previous 2 were very good games. It's not bad nor **** as many claim ,for sure, but it could have really been better.Decent nonetheless.
  72. Oct 6, 2014
    Alright, so the new WB studio didn't do a very good job with this game. The animations are unpolished, and the game doesn't flow as well as Arkham City did. This is NO REASON to give the game a 0. It was disappointing, sure! But Arkham City was NEAR PERFECT. Notice that this is Arkham Origins, and superhero origin stories are almost always the weakest of them all. None of this changed theAlright, so the new WB studio didn't do a very good job with this game. The animations are unpolished, and the game doesn't flow as well as Arkham City did. This is NO REASON to give the game a 0. It was disappointing, sure! But Arkham City was NEAR PERFECT. Notice that this is Arkham Origins, and superhero origin stories are almost always the weakest of them all. None of this changed the fact that this is still a great game! They weren't very original in terms of gameplay, so I won't be able to bring this up to an 8/10. Aside from this they still managed to capture each of the characters in the game very well, the voice actors did amazing jobs, and the game really does feel like you're going back in time.
    The game by far doesn't live up to its predecessors but fact is, its still a great game.

1. Dec 13, 2013
    "You don't want to be the guys who messed up and ran into the ground one of the absolute, top-rated franchises of all time. You don't want that at the top of your CV. 'Yeah, I'm the guy who turned a 96 into a 60, that's my claim to fame,’ said Arkham Origins’ producer Ben Matts a couple of days before the game’s release. Turns out, they did exactly that.
  2. Nov 27, 2013
    There's definitely some re-tread going on with Batman: Arkham Origins, but the combat, the relatively good story (B-list villain aside), the powerful feeling of being Batman in video game form has only muted my enthusiasm for the franchise by the smallest of margins.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Nov 25, 2013
    You can't go wrong with sticking to Rocksteady's Bat-formula, however it is starting to feel a little played out. [December 2013, p.93]