7.5

1. Oct 25, 2013
    My fears about new dev team were put to rest as soon as I started to play this game. Excellent original formula renewed with minor additions gameplay-wise, online multiplayer mode (which is actually fun), and quite a strong story makes it a true successor to previous Arkham adventures. I hereby recommend this game to every fan of "Arkham" series, you won't be dissapointed.
  2. Aug 28, 2014
    I did not encounter many bugs during my playthrough, so my review may differ from yours. This game fixed all of the issues the previous game had, and did even more. The world is massive, full of activity, and the graphics are mesmerising. The combat is still as brilliant as it always has been, and I thought the boss fights fully incorporated it. The boss fights are plentiful, and designedI did not encounter many bugs during my playthrough, so my review may differ from yours. This game fixed all of the issues the previous game had, and did even more. The world is massive, full of activity, and the graphics are mesmerising. The combat is still as brilliant as it always has been, and I thought the boss fights fully incorporated it. The boss fights are plentiful, and designed very well. The villains are also brilliantly voice acted, and designed. The superhero gaming experience we've all been waiting for. Expand
  3. Oct 7, 2014
    I agree with so many users here- this game is terribly underrated. For the past few months I've been struggling with whether or not to get the game and play it, since all I've heard was harsh criticism. I got through the game and I can't understand WHY this game got so many negative reviews. It has everything we could have asked for! Story is remarkable and I don't see absolutely anythingI agree with so many users here- this game is terribly underrated. For the past few months I've been struggling with whether or not to get the game and play it, since all I've heard was harsh criticism. I got through the game and I can't understand WHY this game got so many negative reviews. It has everything we could have asked for! Story is remarkable and I don't see absolutely anything wrong with it. In fact, I would say some parts are even better and more mind blowing than in AC. This is so far the darkest and most interesting Batmans IMO, since it tells us so many stories that shine the light on things some players were wondering about (those who didn't read the comics, of course). Glitches? Bugs? They happen! Throughout the game I had some here and there, but they didn't even frustrate me to the point where I would even bring it up if others didn't. I absolutely love this game. Expand
  4. Oct 7, 2014
    I went into this game warily. I had heard how it wasn't nearly as good as its predecessors, but after completing the game I'm not sure what all the hate was about.

The cons of this game: Yes, it is glitchy. But only sometimes and nothing at all that would make the game unplayable. They had one instance in the game where the dialogue should have been a cutscene, but instead used the player models.

The improvements: The unlock-system for abilities I really liked. It allowed you to buy all the later/better abilities after you've bought the ones before it (all abilities are connected and buying one unlocks a few others). The shock gloves are a "gadget" that make you much stronger that you can active after racking up hits on enemies, and they are GREAT.

As far as story goes, I thought the Arkham Origins story was pretty good. I really loved the Arkham City story and it kept me interested and wanting to progress in the game. This game's story felt shorter, but it seemed to be more well polished. Batman actually learns a moral lesson (no spoiling what it is) and the sudden plot twists in the story were very cool.

When it comes to side quests, I think overall I liked Arkham City's slightly better. Origins had half really good side quests and half not-great side quests. In City they were all just pretty good side quests, so it averaged out to be little better than Origins.

Riddler Challenges. in Arkham City there were 282 Riddler Trophies, and then a bunch more scanning riddles besides that. As a person who likes collecting things and 100%ing games, this was even a little too much for me. In Origins I am SO GLAD they took down the count, with only 200 trophies (called Datapacks in this game) to be found, and no scanning things.

Overall, this game was pretty good. No, it was not as good as City, but it was still a good game and got a lot more hate than it deserved. The only thing I wish is that the creators had ironed out the glitches BEFORE initially releasing the game.
  5. Dec 28, 2013
    This game is a certain shot. It's obvious that Warner wants to win a lot of money with the Batman: Arkham's serie and a prequel of the 2 previous games is the best form of enhance the universe of the game. There are a very few new things. The detective vision is better when analysing a crime scene, with a structure similar with CSI tv show. The fight is almost the same, only with some newThis game is a certain shot. It's obvious that Warner wants to win a lot of money with the Batman: Arkham's serie and a prequel of the 2 previous games is the best form of enhance the universe of the game. There are a very few new things. The detective vision is better when analysing a crime scene, with a structure similar with CSI tv show. The fight is almost the same, only with some new moves. The history doesn't have the same level of epicity that the previous ones has, but when (SPOILER) Joker appears for the first time, the history improves a lot. The game also show the beginning of the Batman/Joker relationship and it's very good(SPOILER). The biggest problem, for me, is a bug that occurred when I was with 2 hours of gameplay. The screen got completely black and Batman began to fall in a very strange way. Then, I had to begin a new game. Expand
  6. Sep 16, 2015
    Understanding that a lot of the criticism this game received was due to early bugs that were rectified by the time I played it, I am stunned that it is not more highly regarded. It might be the single-most underrated game I've ever played. I loved both Arkham Asylum & Arkham City, but Origins is my favorite game in the franchise to date. The combat mechanics are almost identical to theUnderstanding that a lot of the criticism this game received was due to early bugs that were rectified by the time I played it, I am stunned that it is not more highly regarded. It might be the single-most underrated game I've ever played. I loved both Arkham Asylum & Arkham City, but Origins is my favorite game in the franchise to date. The combat mechanics are almost identical to the first two, but I thought the feel was actually a little different. I would use the word "tighter" to describe it -- as in it felt like strikes/counters had to be more precisely timed than in the previous two games. It made combat slightly more challenging at first, but once I adjusted I actually preferred it to Asylum & City because I felt more in-control of my combat maneuvers which led to much longer, better, more satisfying combat sequences. For instance, I never used Free Flow Focus mode on the first two games, but became a master using it in Origins. I was also able to string together 40 and 50+ combos which I rarely if ever did in the other games.

I also preferred the presentation Origins to the previous two Batman games. I'm not the best an analyzing and articulating these kinds of things, but the game just had a more immersive, cinematic feel to it.

It also had more gadgets/gameplay wrinkles than the first two games, which was a welcomed change.

Overall, I thought Origins was an amazing game. 10/10.
  7. Nov 6, 2013
    Overall, not as good as the previous Arkham Games, but still pretty damn good, with a really cool story and the same good old combat from the previous games.
  8. Dec 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a big fan of the Arkham games, my favorite being Arkham city, but this game i was a bit disappointed in.

I was disappointed that Joker was yet again the person behind everything. I was really looking forward to another person taking that place, like at first i thought it would be Black mask because it built up to it so good, then it feel dead when it turns out Joker kidnapped him, but then it was starting to build up to Bane being the boss at the end, which would have been great on the account he was smart, cunning and knew that Bruce Wayne was Batman. Again it feel dead after he went dumb and mega-strong, which i understood, but was still sad about..
    When you go to confront the Joker all you do is beat him up and leave, i thought it might have been like the last two games were he makes the fight harder for Batman, for example in Arkham city, when he sent loads of his minions to fight Batman whist there were high speed train going at him, then he blow the roof up and trapped you (then catwoman saves you), which you then confront him (then he blows the floor and you fight clay face) and Joker dies which in my option was executed perfectly.

Another thing that disappointed me was the Riddler (or enigma) missions in the game which were short and boring, making them pointless. The Arkham games are known for it Riddler missions are always big and puzzling, plus there's something at risk like hostages, but in this game the end result is you get your very first Riddler trophy, which does make you feel like you waste a bit of your time.

Other then that the story is really good, because of the great twists and turns, and the one part when u save Alfred from dying
  9. Nov 1, 2015
    I've played thru this game twice and have to say that I think the hate it receives is extremely unjustified. It is a polished, excellent addition to the Arkham franchise and just as enjoyable as the others, moreso than AK imo. The story is a standout, given the challenge of creating a compelling prequel narrative its amazing it turned out so well. Graphics are completely uniform with theI've played thru this game twice and have to say that I think the hate it receives is extremely unjustified. It is a polished, excellent addition to the Arkham franchise and just as enjoyable as the others, moreso than AK imo. The story is a standout, given the challenge of creating a compelling prequel narrative its amazing it turned out so well. Graphics are completely uniform with the other games in the series, ie excellent. Voice acting is totally up to par as well, obviously talents like Baker were not going to dissapoint. Its biggest 'sin' is that is an iterative entry and people wanted more. But, and this is a big one, do you really wanna ping them so hard for that when we now have the hindsight of seeing how poorly Rocksteady incorporated the batmobile into AK? Sometimes gambles dont pay off. WB Montreal crafted a great and worthy game here, one that I would give a 8.5, Two years on I still feel it totally deserves it. Ive given it a 10 though simply to try and offset some of the ridiculous 0 and 1 scores. Expand
  10. Apr 21, 2014
    Another great addition to the Arkham series with another strong installment. Nothing overly new or original here but as always a solid story and great villains make any fans of this a must have.
    However be prepared for a couple of crashes and bugs as it's not quite as smooth as the others.
  11. Oct 27, 2013
    I am a huge fan of the Arkham games, and even though this game comes from a different developer, I gotta say that this is a great game and a worthy addition to the Arkham franchise.

Story: The story is absolutely fantastic. The game takes place about 5 years before Arkham Asylum. You play as a younger, less refined Batman trying to find and stop Black Mask who put a bounty of 50

Story:
    The story is absolutely fantastic.
    The game takes place about 5 years before Arkham Asylum.
    You play as a younger, less refined Batman trying to find and stop Black Mask who put a bounty of 50 million dollars on Batman's head, which automatically attracts 8 of the most talented assassins in the DC universe like Deathstroke, Deadshot and Bane.
    Even though the title says "Arkham Origins", it doesn't have anything to do with Arkham, and it's definitely not an origin story. In this game, Batman meets his ultimate adversary, The Joker, for the first time, and many other villains and allies as well.

Gameplay:
    Despite the fact that this is not Rocksteady who developed the game, it shouldn't come as a surprise that the core mechanics and the gameplay are exactly the same as Arkham City's, simply because Rocksteady's work is remarkable and irreplaceable, and it should never be changed. There's a few new gadgets, and I have one minor complaint about the new Shock Gloves that I don't like the idea of because it's too overpowered. You are able to clear a room full of guys in matter of seconds with those. Good thing is, you get them pretty late in the game and they need to recharge. Aside from a few new types of enemies and the new gadgets, everything is the same, and that's good. You don't try to fix something if it's not broken. You don't need to innovate when you already have the perfect gameplay that was in the previous games.

Visuals:
    The visuals are excellent, and are slightly better than Arkham City's.
    The game has a lot of bugs though, and some of them are extremely annoying and sometimes they will not let you continue in your mission. For example: I encountered a major frame rate bug near the end of the game, even though my computer was able to run the game on maximum settings smoothly. I eventually managed to fix it.
    Aside from that, the animations look great and fluid, except for the weird lip movement in dialogue scenes (not cinematic). About the bugs, I believe there will be a patch soon that will fix them.

Multiplayer:
    The multiplayer can be fun at times, but it's not polished.
    There are 3 teams, Joker's gang, Bane's gang and Batman and Robin. Both gangs are fighting each other while Batman and Robin need to take both gangs out.
    It has a lot of potential but it's not well executed.
    Still, it's always fun to play as Batman and do inverted takedowns on helpless victims.

Summary:
    Definitely a great addition to the Arkham series like I said, WB Games Montreal did a great job with the writing on this game and the new Batman and Joker voices are a great replacement, especially Joker's which is portrayed by the famous Troy Baker.

I give this game a 9/10, the things that really bothered me were the multiplayer and the great number of bugs, I wouldn't mind waiting a few more days and get a bug free game instead.
  12. Oct 26, 2013
    Another great day for PC gaming! What a fantastic day for both PC gaming and Arkham Origins! Everything came together today, we had nVIDIA drivers in WHQL status released before the game, the game supports widescreen resolutions out of the box, and it runs really well too! This is such an awesome game and so enjoyable to play. Congratulations to all involved. Us PC gamers should be proudAnother great day for PC gaming! What a fantastic day for both PC gaming and Arkham Origins! Everything came together today, we had nVIDIA drivers in WHQL status released before the game, the game supports widescreen resolutions out of the box, and it runs really well too! This is such an awesome game and so enjoyable to play. Congratulations to all involved. Us PC gamers should be proud on this day Expand
  13. Oct 25, 2013
    An excellent game so far! You may be disappointed if you were hoping for something meaningfully different from AA or AC in terms of how it plays, but that's about the biggest downside I can see so far.

I like that the game is paced well and takes its time, and I am definitely enjoying the story. Combat is as excellent as ever, and if you enjoyed the first two games in the series, I definitely recommend playing this one!

I can understand why critics aren't as impressed with the game; it doesn't innovate on the series much and it doesn't have a GTA-style open world that feels alive and vibrant, but who cares? It's Batman, with the same quality gameplay and storytelling you've come to expect from the series, and a solid buy for me.
  14. Oct 25, 2013
    I don't know what it is, and I might be the minority here, but I am enjoying Arkham Origins more than the previous games. I don't know if it's the story (which is more interesting than the utter confusion that was Arkham City), the slightly different/less cartoonish art design, or the new voice actors:

-I feel like I am experiencing something as Batman in this game rather than playing through a predestined story, I know that technically doesn't make sense but I guess feel a sense of purpose in this game that just wasn't there for me in the other games. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the first two games but I felt like I was in Batman's shoes already. In this game he is still learning, he is still building relationships, he doesn't know everything, he is hard on himself, he makes wrong decisions, and he utterly f***s up sometimes. A good example of this would be very early on when Batman has to interrogate someone and he goes overboard and the dude passes out before he can get the information he needs, Batman just goes "Damn" and I feel like that was a genuine response to what just happened.

-The art style is another thing I am digging. The character models look less cartoonish but still have their defining characteristics, and the ambiance is less overbearing in this game (It bugged me a lot in Arkham City). The facial animations for the non-cut scene parts are a lot better now in my opinion. Overall it has a slightly more realistic look but it fits and it's a welcoming design decision.

-My last major point worth mentioning is the voice acting. I, like everyone else, was concerned when I heard the likes of Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill would not be in the game. Then I heard that Troy Baker and Roger Craig Smith would be doing the voices of Joker and Batman. I felt better about it, but I was still on the fence until I heard Troy do the Killing Joke monologue at NYCC and actually played the game and heard Roger's Batman. Bottom line, they're mastering their craft and this game was like getting five stars on a song on expert in Rock Band for them. It was challenging but they stood up to the plate and delivered on all accounts.

-The only problems I've had with the game have been very minor technical issues. The only big one that I just ran into was when I was trapped in a room and had to pull down a vent-cover and grapple up and into the vent. The alignment on where Batman grasps the ledge is slightly off and his hands get stuck and I cant get into the vent, thus being actually stuck in the room. Other than that there was a very strange fluke incident where when I was fighting Killer Croc the game audio cut out entirely and Killer Croc's textures started to flicker.

Final thoughts: I like it, it's grooving to my beat of how I want to play and experience the character of Batman. You might like it, you might not. It is a very technically sound game with great voice acting and a fantastic musical score. If I had to describe it in just a few words I would say Arkham Origins is: A refined, no nonsense, and satisfying experience.
  15. Oct 26, 2013
    a masterpiece, suck the critics the critics are lying to you, this game is a masterpiece, improved and more challenging gameplay, much better and twisted plot, way more side mission, much bigger world, the multiplayer is awful if you play as a normal solider but if you play: batman,bane,joker or robin its becoming a very fun expierience, the best thing about this game is the story, therea masterpiece, suck the critics the critics are lying to you, this game is a masterpiece, improved and more challenging gameplay, much better and twisted plot, way more side mission, much bigger world, the multiplayer is awful if you play as a normal solider but if you play: batman,bane,joker or robin its becoming a very fun expierience, the best thing about this game is the story, there is a one big twist that will let you say wtf,what was that, the boss fights are great, not like arkham city that all of the boss fights except from the mister freeze fight sucked. the story is even darker and more mature than the last story, this story is mature as the story in arkham asylum, and arkham asylum had a very dark and mature story, in arkham city they made a very good story but it didnt came up to the mature story of asylum, and this one does.
    amazing game dont skip on this one
  16. Oct 26, 2013
    Arkham Origins takes the tried and true formula from the first two Arkham games and twists is just slightly to present a new story and slight challenge for the player. While it is true that this title does not innovate or make any hard changes for the series, it didn't need to. The series was perfect to begin with. Not every games has to reinvent the wheel every year. Some, if good enough,Arkham Origins takes the tried and true formula from the first two Arkham games and twists is just slightly to present a new story and slight challenge for the player. While it is true that this title does not innovate or make any hard changes for the series, it didn't need to. The series was perfect to begin with. Not every games has to reinvent the wheel every year. Some, if good enough, can just keep it moving forward. Expand
  17. Oct 25, 2013
    This game is amazing! I only have a few problems with it. The graphics are incredibly well done. The physics are nice, and over all it's a good game. The problems I have with it, is that countering attacks are difficult to do, and then bugs and glitches, which should be fixed in a patch. I would definitely recommend this to a friend.
  18. Oct 28, 2013
    I have just finished the game and I had a ton of fun playing it. It is true that it does not make that much different than Arkham City, but since AC was one of the best games of this generation, does it have to? I am glad that WB Montreal did not change the general formula of the game. You still explore one of the most atmospheric open-world environments, beat-up thugs and enjoy the coolI have just finished the game and I had a ton of fun playing it. It is true that it does not make that much different than Arkham City, but since AC was one of the best games of this generation, does it have to? I am glad that WB Montreal did not change the general formula of the game. You still explore one of the most atmospheric open-world environments, beat-up thugs and enjoy the cool story with its many plot twists. The graphics still look pretty good, the sound and voice-over is great and the free-flow combat is still one of the best combat systems to date. The villains and the respective fights are quite entertaining and the city is again full with content and areas to explore. I do miss the Riddler trophies, but there is a lot of other fun stuff to do and to complete. If you enjoyed the previous two titles, then you probably will also enjoy this entry. It does not make much different, but what it does, it does great. Expand
  19. Feb 1, 2014
    -This is supposed to be before Arkham asylum and you have gadgets and moves more than Arkham asylum?!
    -Gameplay is almost the same from Arkham city with only new Ninjas and electric gloves.
    -Only the menu soundtrack is good but the other are not good enough,still Arkham asylum has the best soundtrack. -Graphics is almost the same and Batman's suit is not as good as the previous
    -Graphics is almost the same and Batman's suit is not as good as the previous games,still Arkham asylum's Armored suit is the best suit.
    -Epic story that will keep you playing wanting to what's exactly going on with many Epic villains but there's the same mistake in Arkham city, i mean many viilains didn't take their chance and only appeared in one part of the game like Copperhead.
    -Awesome side missions with villains that could be included in the main story too.
    -City is almost the same with no citizens or people walking in steets, i mean they could make a city like this in grand theft auto with many citizens and cars.
    -i've seen some glitches and bugs like this grate that i couldn't pass through in the Burnley tower,so i couldn't complete the riddler mission.
    -Awesome and challenging Bossfights(damn that Bane bossfight...) and enemies.
    -Challenge mode is still Epic.
    Totally this game just added more fun but the developers didn't do anything to move the series forward,so you gonna play only just for the story and more challenge maps.
    the game took me about 16 hours
    Arkham asylum was something very new at its time so i gave it a 10.
    Arkham city did too many improvements so i gave it a 10.
    so this game takes a 9 for adding more fun and awesome villains
  20. Nov 2, 2013
    I enjo ythis game a lot. It takes the elements of the other 2 arkham games and adds more. Suprisingly, it does not diminish any of the earlier gameplay. It just does not improve much from the earlier games. Still stellar, though.
  21. Nov 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of this games only flaws is that it had 2 much loved games that proceeded it, a handful of changes in artist direction and voice actors may be the reason this game is slumping in scores.
    [Character SPOILERS]

Fans of Arkham City will feel at home with this title, it's a different story told in a familiar setting. The city feels a little more fleshed out and some of the action (boss fights) in the game actually take place in some interesting places but only a few though the best I thought by far was Deathstroke that was actually difficult enough to be a challenge and visually pleasing enough to want to keep playing, even though I got my ass beat I still felt like Batman while it happened.

There is nothing that makes me feel less like the worlds greatest detective than being stuck in a room and not knowing which door I'm supposed to be going through... This game like it's 2 predecessors suffers from this.

The storyline was really enjoyable, I feel like this title stepped away from the cartoon theme of the other two and made it a bit more aimed at adults which for me made it a great deal more enjoyable. The setting seemed grittier and the cut-scene's less Loony Tunes and more Nolan.

There were mechanisms in the game that seemed to be thrown in for the hell of it (Glue raft?) which was there just to pad out the game I think, I feel like having the game run a 30 minutes less but loosing some of the pissing about would have done this game a favor. Door hacking is irritating enough, having to shoot a box with a really slow jammer gun and then hack a door? Doubly so.

I'd be really happy if the franchise continued down this route, make more boss fights like the death-stroke one and keep the story interesting and I'll keep buying them.

It's well optimized, looks pretty nice, freeflow combat felt a little more difficult but was just as satisfying and best story so far (in my opinion).

-1 point for glitches (One Riddler glitch had me stuck in a room and needing to restart) and -1 point for feeling a little too familiar... glue raft.
  22. Oct 25, 2013
    A very familiar game but one that still manages to build on one of the greatest games ever made. Arkham Origins may not add to much to the mechanics department but what it does add works. The story is fantastic and maybe the best of the series. The graphics aren't groundbreaking but they are still very beautiful. The gameplay is tight and riveting. Everything just comes together. If youA very familiar game but one that still manages to build on one of the greatest games ever made. Arkham Origins may not add to much to the mechanics department but what it does add works. The story is fantastic and maybe the best of the series. The graphics aren't groundbreaking but they are still very beautiful. The gameplay is tight and riveting. Everything just comes together. If you had any fun with the other games in the series, you do not want to miss this incredible game. Expand
  23. Oct 25, 2013
    Arkham Origins is a fantastic game. It lives upto the legacy of its predecessors and in some cases surpasses them. The first thing fans will notice is that the UI/HUD has been redone and it looks great with a new coat of paint. The game also gives you a cool rating based around what you did in combat.

The combat has also had some tweaks done to it. I find it to be slightly more fast paced, the animation sets are much much better and has a greater impact. I also found counters are slightly easier to pull off. The previous titles had an annoying quirk where enemies would strike you even if you'd countered just because you got too close to the cutoff. This helps the combat feel better.

Arkham Origins holds up to the previous titles nicely and while they didn't change the formula or style of the game WB did a great job to ensure the legacy of the series goes on.
  24. Oct 26, 2013
    combat is tight
    graphics is tight
    audio and voice work is tight
    his suit is tight
    the story is tight
    The combat is so good, there is no way to change much other then a great story and ui and added multiplayer.
    I mean CoD comes out same thing every year and reviewers dont get all nasty with that junk.
    This is a great game, believe the hype 8)
  25. Oct 27, 2013
    (First sorry my English) This game is essentially more of the same, it means, it's more of the same perfection! Could not be better IMO! Everything I wanted from the game developers! I salute WB Montreal for being respectful for the previous games. The acting is perfect, they combat is perfect, the boss fights are perfect, the sound is perfect, the interface is perfect. Definitely worth(First sorry my English) This game is essentially more of the same, it means, it's more of the same perfection! Could not be better IMO! Everything I wanted from the game developers! I salute WB Montreal for being respectful for the previous games. The acting is perfect, they combat is perfect, the boss fights are perfect, the sound is perfect, the interface is perfect. Definitely worth every penny! Expand
  26. Oct 26, 2013
    I am just over 6 hours into the game so far. I loved the previous games, but I felt that the only major difference between AA and AC was that AC was open world. The story in both previous games was great, and so far the story in this game is also great.

In a lot of ways I like the story in this game more. It has a darker tone overall. Batman is new on the scene, the cops and criminals don't really know who he is and most even doubt that he exists.

When it comes down to it, AO is more of the same with a few differences and on a larger scale. As far as I am concerned, the same applies to AC as a sequel. I'm not sure why AO is being rated down for this while the same critics praised AC for doing the same.

It's worth bearing in mind that the same critics have praised games like CoD year in, year out for releasing the exact same game, tweaked slightly, not expanded on at all...Go figure. Maybe the reviewers weren't paid off...

The 100 vs 1 mode is an excellent addition to the challenge mode and pretty tough! The combat is as satisfying as ever, and their interpretation of a younger, less experienced Batman is great.

All in all, if you enjoyed the previous games for their puzzles, combat and story, you will enjoy this too, as long as you don't have any unrealistic expectations about it being a dramatic departure from AC. It is mostly more of the same excellent gameplay as before, but with improved visuals and a new and compelling story.

I haven't tried the MP yet, so I can't comment on that, but it isn't why I bought this game...I came for the SP story and the 100 vs 1 combat extravaganza and I haven't been disappointed!
  27. Oct 28, 2013
    All told, the developers could have just slapped a new coat of paint on Arkham City and watched the money roll in. But they spent the time to make the game stand on its own with the rest of the Arkham series. It is an enjoyable, albeit Deja vu inspiring title. Being a prequel it manages to set up the other two games in the series nicely instead of a cheap cash in ending. I highly recommendAll told, the developers could have just slapped a new coat of paint on Arkham City and watched the money roll in. But they spent the time to make the game stand on its own with the rest of the Arkham series. It is an enjoyable, albeit Deja vu inspiring title. Being a prequel it manages to set up the other two games in the series nicely instead of a cheap cash in ending. I highly recommend it to any fan of the series or Batman fan in general. Expand
  28. Oct 26, 2013
    If you enjoyed the first two Batman Arkham Games, don't let the "professional" reviews fool you.
    Origins is just as great as the first ones. And has an epic, well writen great storyline.
    Yes, there aren't any great improvements gameplay wise, but why would you need such improvements?
    Who cares?
    So far, i haven't run into technical problems. No crashes or lockups.
  29. Oct 25, 2013
    Have played this game for 2+ hours on PC now and I must say that it is truly spectacular. Yes, it's not as good as Arkham City but it still lives up to the Arkham name. The game plays very similarly to previous installments but also adds some new features as well. The feeling of having 8 assassins coming after you is compelling and exciting and makes you anticipate the next awesome bossHave played this game for 2+ hours on PC now and I must say that it is truly spectacular. Yes, it's not as good as Arkham City but it still lives up to the Arkham name. The game plays very similarly to previous installments but also adds some new features as well. The feeling of having 8 assassins coming after you is compelling and exciting and makes you anticipate the next awesome boss battle. IGN, Machinima and Gamespot may have given lackluster reviews but don't let that sidetrack you from the awesomeness of this game. Those critics always find something to pick on and complain about and I no longer trust in their opinions and have lost faith in their reviews. The game is similar but different and houses an excellent and compelling storyline to go along with it. 10/10 for me so far, and I havent even got up to the good bits yet.... Expand
  30. Oct 25, 2013
    There are no other games like the batman games. The combat mechanics are beyond perfect and the graphics are awe-inspiring.
    Even with all of its great upsides, i have to say this is not much different than Arkham city. Don't get me wrong, it brings new stuff to the table, but I feel like this is just a very large DLC.
    Is it worth the 50$? I would say so. If you're a fan of batman or
    Is it worth the 50$? I would say so. If you're a fan of batman or these games (like me) it's worth it.
    Loads of fun, and the characters/story are well developed.
  31. Oct 28, 2013
    It's Arkham City with a Christmas theme minus story continuity and character development. That being said, I'm seriously enjoying this game. Voice acting is better than expected and gameplay feels *almost* on par with the previous two titles. The environment design is creepy and it's still fun to roam around and fight crime. Not sure what happened with the cut scenes though, they are someIt's Arkham City with a Christmas theme minus story continuity and character development. That being said, I'm seriously enjoying this game. Voice acting is better than expected and gameplay feels *almost* on par with the previous two titles. The environment design is creepy and it's still fun to roam around and fight crime. Not sure what happened with the cut scenes though, they are some of the lowest quality renders I've seen in a long time. Expand
  32. Oct 31, 2013
    Boasting a stronger story than Arkham City, Origins may not have any new ideas in the Arkhamverse, but it is a welcomed addition in the series. Batman is angrier, Alfred is a little less lax and the status of the Bat is still an urban myth. Combat is still pretty much the same, as is the stealth takedown sections of the game. A few puzzles felt reused and redesigned from Arkham City. AndBoasting a stronger story than Arkham City, Origins may not have any new ideas in the Arkhamverse, but it is a welcomed addition in the series. Batman is angrier, Alfred is a little less lax and the status of the Bat is still an urban myth. Combat is still pretty much the same, as is the stealth takedown sections of the game. A few puzzles felt reused and redesigned from Arkham City. And without giving anything away, the Joker level was absolutely brilliant, essential for any Batman fan. This is no way a bad game as some might say, yet it isn't the best Arkham game either. But if you loved Asylum and City, this is definitely worth a purchase. Expand
  33. Nov 1, 2013
    I loved all the previous titles in this series.I think an 8 is what I would give. The game has some major bugs & glitches but Splashdamage has released a fix for that. The mechanics of the haven't change much.But I'm ok with that. Problem is there is nothing much new. So for anyone who is new to this series this game would be awesome but for someone like me,might not be so. But stillI loved all the previous titles in this series.I think an 8 is what I would give. The game has some major bugs & glitches but Splashdamage has released a fix for that. The mechanics of the haven't change much.But I'm ok with that. Problem is there is nothing much new. So for anyone who is new to this series this game would be awesome but for someone like me,might not be so. But still deserves an 8 you may give it a try. Expand
  34. Oct 25, 2013
    As good as the other games, but graphically superior on ever count. Launch bugs mean I have to mark it down But only very slightly.. Impressive stuff.
  35. Oct 26, 2013
    Very good game, the open world has a ton of detail put into it, the graphics are very nice, the voice acting, while not the original cast of the Arkham games does a great job. My only issue with this game is that they should've play tested it more, it's pretty glitchy. For instance, a kind of game breaking one on the PC version happens when you try to hack the tower in a certain district,Very good game, the open world has a ton of detail put into it, the graphics are very nice, the voice acting, while not the original cast of the Arkham games does a great job. My only issue with this game is that they should've play tested it more, it's pretty glitchy. For instance, a kind of game breaking one on the PC version happens when you try to hack the tower in a certain district, and often during combat when preforming blade dodges the game will switch me to using a gadget instead, being very frustrating. The gun deactivating gadget will also sometimes just not work. If they iron out all the glitches with patches this game could really be wonderful. Expand
  36. Oct 25, 2013
    No innovation, but who cares. My opinion is that this game is really good. I'm a fan. Not sure what the hell Gamespot is on about with a 6/10. IGN here I come xD
  37. Oct 26, 2013
    I wish I could use only a single word for this review it would be "Superb"... This game is amazing just like it's predecessors. It runs incredibly smoothly (even on my weak laptop)... Superb! And to those complaining that it's too much like the other games why change something that works (well)? If they changed it, people probably would've complained about "how different the gameI wish I could use only a single word for this review it would be "Superb"... This game is amazing just like it's predecessors. It runs incredibly smoothly (even on my weak laptop)... Superb! And to those complaining that it's too much like the other games why change something that works (well)? If they changed it, people probably would've complained about "how different the game is"...Great game. End of story. Buy it. Expand
  38. Oct 29, 2013
    For being a prequel to the Arkham series, this really kicks things off with a bang.
    Best story telling out of the series. Phenomenal voice acting. Great graphics, and SUPERB voice acting.
    Oh, and I can't forget the awesome story and even beefier combat system.

Buy all three, and start with this one. It won't let you down.
  39. Oct 28, 2013
    What can I say? MARVELOUS, that's what I say. Bigger map; now Gotham is your playgroung, not a portion of it, neither just an Asylum. New stuff and gadgets; more approaches available. Cool villains; simply 8 awesome assassins to come across. Interesting boss fights; meaning you won't be boring by only roaming or doing stuff for the main mission. Even better graphics; not much to say here.What can I say? MARVELOUS, that's what I say. Bigger map; now Gotham is your playgroung, not a portion of it, neither just an Asylum. New stuff and gadgets; more approaches available. Cool villains; simply 8 awesome assassins to come across. Interesting boss fights; meaning you won't be boring by only roaming or doing stuff for the main mission. Even better graphics; not much to say here. It's just beautiful. All this implemented in the fine engine Rocksteady left in Warner Bros. Montreal's hands. They kept the good work done by Rocksteady and I don't see in any way a low standard of Arkham Origins compared with its predecessor. The new voice actors did a great job replacing the old ones. Batman's voice is so good you won't even notice the change. The Joker sounds a little bit different, but it's still incredible. So, if you're Batman fan, don't be disappointed by Rocksteady dropping the game in another studio's hands. They stood up for it and made a good game. If you're a fan of the Arkham series, this is absolutely a must play. The PC version can show minor bugs, but not game breaking. Plus, the game is greatly optimized for PC. I got a pretty crappy gaming PC and I just ran the game in a steady 40 fps, with almost everything maxed out. Don't skip this game, please. You're losing an epic adventure. Expand
  40. Oct 25, 2013
    For the same reason I contend that The Dark Knight Rises is the best movie, Arkham Origin's brings everything that you love into one solid package. I refuse to look at the game against it's brethren, there simply isn't any fair way to judge a game in that light. As it's own entry it is smart, keeps things interesting, and features a beautiful combat system. The only place I have to removeFor the same reason I contend that The Dark Knight Rises is the best movie, Arkham Origin's brings everything that you love into one solid package. I refuse to look at the game against it's brethren, there simply isn't any fair way to judge a game in that light. As it's own entry it is smart, keeps things interesting, and features a beautiful combat system. The only place I have to remove a mark in this title is the fact the world as large as it is seems mostly lifeless. The atmosphere is there thanks to the weather, but it would be nice to see some civilians running from the villains that are sprinkled in.

I dare say this could even have added a new mode to the game or been integrated with the Crime in Progress Feature that WB Montreal has introduced. In the end, boss fights are fun, Gotham is realistic looking with some beautiful effects on the PC Version, and you still feel like The Dark Knight. Enjoy an early Christmas, this is one of the best gifts I've received yet. I'll take more of the same any day!
  41. Oct 25, 2013
    This game is great, it has almost all of the qualities of the previous batman games, yet there is something missing in the world making it a slight disappointment. That is there is a lack of things to find throughout the world. This is the only thing that made arkham city feel like the world had life and without it origins world feels empty, as much as I would have liked it to be a livingThis game is great, it has almost all of the qualities of the previous batman games, yet there is something missing in the world making it a slight disappointment. That is there is a lack of things to find throughout the world. This is the only thing that made arkham city feel like the world had life and without it origins world feels empty, as much as I would have liked it to be a living and breathing world both origins and arkham city did not accomplish this, but in origin it feels missed more especially without the easter eggs and constant references to other villains and characters that was in arkham city Expand
  42. Oct 26, 2013
    Perfect designing, combat system, free roam and story the things I miss tough is the Enigmas riddles. The voice over on Batman and Joker is really good.
  43. Nov 3, 2013
    i don't understand the amount of hate to this game every one is giving this game bad credits only for lack of innovation a game like arkham city was so perfect that i can't think of anything to add to it because of its perfection i only need a solid story and that's what i found in this game yes there was some few glitches but they're not big deal as you soon will be consumed in thei don't understand the amount of hate to this game every one is giving this game bad credits only for lack of innovation a game like arkham city was so perfect that i can't think of anything to add to it because of its perfection i only need a solid story and that's what i found in this game yes there was some few glitches but they're not big deal as you soon will be consumed in the amazing graphics amazing story outstanding sound tracks and i must say that Batman'c character in this game is the BEST he is a total badass i hope to see more from the series in the future Expand
  44. Oct 25, 2013
    Batman Arkham Origins takes the level of excitement present in previous Batman games, and perfects them with a new and perfected system. There has been a vast improvement on game mechanics, including graphics, which are now equally as beautiful and clean as previous games, but do not require a nuclear reactor to run. With any mid-top computer still struggling to run Arkham City, this gameBatman Arkham Origins takes the level of excitement present in previous Batman games, and perfects them with a new and perfected system. There has been a vast improvement on game mechanics, including graphics, which are now equally as beautiful and clean as previous games, but do not require a nuclear reactor to run. With any mid-top computer still struggling to run Arkham City, this game is a vast improvement. Storyline is gripping and improving, however I am only part way through, it has kept me on the edge of my seat the whole way through. There is very little room for criticism, except possibly the stale fighting mechanics, which haven't really improved much upon previous games. Expand
  45. Oct 27, 2013
    This game is getting a lot of crap for being "more of the same", but not only is that not a bad thing, it's not really true. It's true that the game doesn't make massive strides over City like City did over Asylum, but that's mostly because City basically perfected the core combat and predator mechanics, and if you try to mess with that you're likely to do a lot more harm than good.This game is getting a lot of crap for being "more of the same", but not only is that not a bad thing, it's not really true. It's true that the game doesn't make massive strides over City like City did over Asylum, but that's mostly because City basically perfected the core combat and predator mechanics, and if you try to mess with that you're likely to do a lot more harm than good. Regardless, this game introduces several new gadgets (which are much better than the ones they're replacing from AC, imo), an entire new portion of the city to explore, an entire new game mechanic in case files, and several more subtle differences, mostly in the way of leveling up and in-game achievements/challenges.

The game has a much more Nolan-verse feel to it than the previous two titles, which I personally enjoyed. This younger, angrier, more aggressive Batman is loads more interesting than the ones we see in AA and AC, as are the main villains. There are several twists throughout that help to keep it from getting stale or predictable, and it does an excellent job of being an actual origin story and showing you how Batman's relationships are established and developed, as they pertain to both friends and enemies.

The only problems I really have with this game right now are that it's a bit buggy at the moment, but I'm sure that'll get fixed fairly quickly, and that I kind of felt that some of the villains were underutilized. They brought out some really cool villains that really could've provided some interesting interactions, but they rarely served as more than intermittent boss fights to progress the story. Granted most of the boss fights were awesome, I still can't help but feel there was a little too much quantity and not enough actual fleshing out of the villains. I will say, though, that they all did seem to have their purpose within the story.

I'll also add that the multiplayer is surprisingly fun. I didn't have high hopes for it when I first heard they were adding it in, but it's actually really well done. It's most fun when you're playing as one of the heroes or super-villains (duh), but it's still fun when you're just playing as a lowly gang member.
  46. Oct 25, 2013
    As a huge Batman fan, I have spent hundreds of hours soaring through Arkham City. Upon visiting Arkham Origins, I was pleasantly surprised. An immense beautifully detailed world, amazing characters, stunning voice acting and adrenaline pumping combat, "Batman™: Arkham Origins" manages to deliver both nostalgia and thrill in a wonderfull edition to a now even greater franchise. 10/10.
  47. Oct 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is great, it has almost all of the qualities of the previous batman games, yet there is something missing in the world making it a slight disappointment. That is there is a lack of things to find throughout the world. This is the only thing that made arkham city feel like the world had life and without it origins world feels empty, as much as I would have liked it to be a living and breathing world both origins and arkham city did not accomplish this, but in origin it feels missed more especially without the easter eggs and constant references to other villains and characters that was in arkham city Expand
  48. Oct 25, 2013
    Played 1.5 hours so far. There are a few minor glitches, but it doesn't detract from the game (if you use a controller and have Synergy it may behave weirdly, just disable synergy or put the other computer to sleep my mouse only went off the left screen). Still set in Arkham City, plus a bit more across the bridge, and the Batcave is there. Still has the same combat. Thus far, they seemPlayed 1.5 hours so far. There are a few minor glitches, but it doesn't detract from the game (if you use a controller and have Synergy it may behave weirdly, just disable synergy or put the other computer to sleep my mouse only went off the left screen). Still set in Arkham City, plus a bit more across the bridge, and the Batcave is there. Still has the same combat. Thus far, they seem to have done well. It's very fun to play and has very good dialogue and story.

I do find it weird having Batman ask who certain villains are, or anyone being like "who's the Batman? You made him up!" or "you're just seeing things!", since we obviously know who Batman is as well as several of the villains that Batman doesn't know yet...

Very glad I got it. You won't be disappointed. Put your fears to rest, they didn't produce a half-assed game.
  49. Oct 25, 2013
    Best game of the series so far. Best story, biggest world, gameplay improved great.

If you liked Arkham City and think a bigger Arkham City with better story and a little polished gameplay: This is for you. And you will get the best Batman Game ever. If you want more than something like an Arkham City 1.5, you should wait for a budget version oder skip it. I thinkt it's great. The

I thinkt it's great. The developers have changed. And the result if new developers are working on a good series is often pretty bad. So I think it is good to see that the series got even better. Even it is not a step as big as it was from Asylum zu City.
  50. Oct 29, 2013
    This game is just epic. The story is the reason I buy these games, and it was really good. Very dark as a batman story always should to be. It explained the psychology of Batman, Joker, and Bane which the previous games didn't do.
  51. Wik
    Oct 27, 2013
    This game took me by surprise. I have the 2 other games in the series. But I found them a little boring.
    This game is much more enjoyable. And the MP is a blast best fun in a long time.
  52. Oct 29, 2013
    A worthy game for the series. The mechanics are relatively unchanged from Asylum and City, but where there are changes, they are all for the good Excellent story with some nice twists and many of the 'boss' fights have stepped away from the 'dodge the big thing and throw batarangs' which always bothered me about the first two. Loving the Dark Knight challenges and side-missions.A worthy game for the series. The mechanics are relatively unchanged from Asylum and City, but where there are changes, they are all for the good Excellent story with some nice twists and many of the 'boss' fights have stepped away from the 'dodge the big thing and throw batarangs' which always bothered me about the first two. Loving the Dark Knight challenges and side-missions. All-in-all a fantastic game. I have tried mp and it's not for me, but that is nothing against how they have done it, i'm just not a pvp man. Expand
  53. Oct 28, 2013
    Good: Similar to previous installments in movement, gameplay and design. Voice acting is good and fighting is intense like the predecessors. Bad: Lot of bugs that will be fixed within a few weeks from release, controls can be clunky at times and indicators can be hard to work with at times. Boss fights are fun for the most part but can get tedious and glitch at times as well. All in all,Good: Similar to previous installments in movement, gameplay and design. Voice acting is good and fighting is intense like the predecessors. Bad: Lot of bugs that will be fixed within a few weeks from release, controls can be clunky at times and indicators can be hard to work with at times. Boss fights are fun for the most part but can get tedious and glitch at times as well. All in all, worth the money but I suggest waiting a few weeks to a month after release for game to get cleaned up in patches.

Upon Release: 7, After First Patch: 8, Die Hard Batman Gameplay Fan: 9.
  54. Nov 4, 2013
    The best thing in this game is the story. It's interesting, and explains a lot about the Batman: Arkham universe. Be sure to listen to the dialog during the credits and watch the video after. The game play is great. Very similar to Arkham City, but different enough to establish itself as a different game. The recreate crime feature works very well, but is a little underutilized in theThe best thing in this game is the story. It's interesting, and explains a lot about the Batman: Arkham universe. Be sure to listen to the dialog during the credits and watch the video after. The game play is great. Very similar to Arkham City, but different enough to establish itself as a different game. The recreate crime feature works very well, but is a little underutilized in the main storyline. On release, there were quite a few bugs, including some game breaking ones. However, since then, a patch has been released that has fixed a majority of the big bugs. While some bugs still remain, they're not unbearable and don't affect game play enough to count off for them. They're a little more severe than Red Dead Redemption's bugs, but not terrible.

I would definitely recommend this game to anyone who has played the other two Arkham games.
  55. Oct 26, 2013
    I'm about half way through at the moment, and so far I'm really enjoying this game. The Rocksteady Batman games are some of my favorite titles of all time, and I think WB Montreal did a fine job following up the stellar Arkham City. I find it funny that many professional critics are slamming this game as "more of the same" when my biggest fear coming into this title was that the new devsI'm about half way through at the moment, and so far I'm really enjoying this game. The Rocksteady Batman games are some of my favorite titles of all time, and I think WB Montreal did a fine job following up the stellar Arkham City. I find it funny that many professional critics are slamming this game as "more of the same" when my biggest fear coming into this title was that the new devs would mess up the perfect formula. Admittedly, the game isn't quite as polished as its predecessors, but the issues I have run into have been very minor. Overall I find this game to be an absolute blast. If you enjoyed the previous Batman games I highly recommend picking this one up. Expand
  56. Oct 28, 2013
    Origins tries to build on a fantastic franchise, but falls short. It relies too much on the magic created from it's predecessors and combines this with nothing of its own. The story is the glue holding all the pieces together, with the new voice actors doing a fantastic job of portraying their characters. I have unfortunately encountered a few bugs whilst playing Origins, some of themOrigins tries to build on a fantastic franchise, but falls short. It relies too much on the magic created from it's predecessors and combines this with nothing of its own. The story is the glue holding all the pieces together, with the new voice actors doing a fantastic job of portraying their characters. I have unfortunately encountered a few bugs whilst playing Origins, some of them show-stopping. I feel they had a chance to take the series in a forward direction but failed to release the potential. Instead Origins is something you'd expect as a final DLC pack, worth £20.
    However, I have enjoyed playing as Batman once again, despite its various flaws in both story and mechanics (bugs), who doesn't? It is worth a purchase just for the story alone, but don't expect to be amazed, as this game is not improvement on the series.
  57. Oct 30, 2013
    New addition to the Batman games really stands up to its predecessors. Although it brings only minor improvements in the gameplay (combat system is so tight, perfect and rewarding, that any changes can do more damage, rather than any improvements), Origins is a must have for any Asylum and City fans.
    Although the multiplayer isn't something that you'll play year after the release, it nicely prolongs game time and is pretty entertaining.
    Graphics, audio and overall presentation is on highest levels as usuall, although various minor (weird gliding bug from time to time) and major (crashing, currently unability to finish enigma side quest due to one bugged radio tower) glitches are present.
    Origins story brings something new to the table and takes quite unexpected turns. Much better than previous entries in the franchise.
    Bigger world recycles various locations from City, but is rather dead, filled with cops and criminals. This can be overlooked, because there is something to do around every corner.
    Overall this game doesn't deserve bashing for lack of inovations (remember that City brought only open world and improved gliding mechanics), and is a solid and well crafted addition to the Batman games franchise.
  58. Oct 31, 2013
    Batman Arkham Origins once again puts our black-clad vigilante onto the streets of Gotham. Some things to note about the game are that this installment of the Arkham series takes place two years into Batman's career. That's about 7 years before the events of Asylum according to WB, which is the other thing to note, this game was developed by Warner Brothers Montreal, not Rocksteady likeBatman Arkham Origins once again puts our black-clad vigilante onto the streets of Gotham. Some things to note about the game are that this installment of the Arkham series takes place two years into Batman's career. That's about 7 years before the events of Asylum according to WB, which is the other thing to note, this game was developed by Warner Brothers Montreal, not Rocksteady like the past two games. The game also brings back the Free Flow combat system, albeit with a few minor tweaks, but I'll get to that later. The story in this game revolves around 8 assassins try to kill Batman, since Black Mask put a 50 Million Dollar bounty on his head. Hell, I'd try to kill him for that much... maybe. This story certainly feels more polished than Asylum's and City's stories, but it does seem to be too short. For some reason Deadshot and Shiva had to become sidequests, but I think they would have benefited better if they put the two in there. WB also decided to switch both the Joker's and Batman's voice actors. At first some may want to protest this decision, but don't worry, I think it worked terrifically. Taking on the Bat's role is Roger Craig Smith (know for Ezio Auditore and Sonic the Hedgehog) and to be honest, I think I may like him better than Kevin Conroy (the previous voice-actor) (sorry guys!) Taking on the Joker is Troy Baker (Know for Booker DeWitt, Joel, and Two-Face) who does a FANTASTIC job of Joker- sounding almost exactly like the previous voice, Mark Hamill. The game also features more side-quests, a bigger map, and a new 'I am the Night' mode, a mode where you have one life and no saves, this is the only (single-player) mode I have yet to play, but seems like it would be quite satisfying if I beat it. Of course, this game has quite a few glitches. There seems to be some FPS issue, some texture rendering issues, and sometimes you may fall through the world. Along with this is a gliding model issue where Batman flips up and down, luckily this can be easily fixed by dive-bombing. One of the most frustrating glitch is the burnley comms tower glitch, where you cannot enter a vent to complete a Riddler challenge. Luckily this does not affect the story, so you can still beat the game. Also, on Pc, it seems that you do not have the ability to go fullscreen, doing so and then exiting the game will force you to unistall and then re-install. I'm not quite sure if going to windowed mode before exiting will fix that.

Overall, I think this game is beautiful, even boasting graphics that (in my opinion,) are better than City's. With a fantastic, though short, story, larger, but glitchy, world, and more, but somewhat glitchy, side-quests, this game earns the right to bear the Arkham name we have all come to know and love. If you haven't picked this gem up yet, I suggest doing it now. There's also a multiplayer, which I have not yet ventured into, but you could give it a shot. All in all, this game deserves a solid 8/10
  59. Nov 2, 2013
    Very very great game i don't understand people saying it ruined the sequel! I recommend it to everyone interested in batman and who enjoyed arkham city.
  60. Nov 23, 2013
    I had just written a nice 5000 character review but instead of posting it I accidentally pressed backspace and lost it. I'm not willing to write it again so I'll just summarize it.

I played a patched version of Origins so I didn't experience many bugs described here. I've experienced a few minor bugs, though. What I liked in Origins: 1-Amazing graphics, even better than Arkham

I've experienced a few minor bugs, though.

What I liked in Origins:

1-Amazing graphics, even better than Arkham City's, which I thought impossible to top in 2013.
    2-The same old great navigation and combat mechanics. There are new moves too and fights are still thrilling. Never lose this, please!
    3-Some of the same good old gadgets, but also new ones and redesigned ones too.
    4-New side missions, improved crime scene missions (they look like CSI rather than Batman)
    5-Same good old play modes plus new challenge modes available
    6-Extended map (almost doubled) and new fast travel feature.
    7-Great voice acting, as always, perhaps a bit weaker, but still great.
    8-Added proper and more realistic ledges for each building. You won't find gargoyles in a steel mill anymore.
    9-The story goes back to the beginning of the exploits of Gotham's dark night, which represents a breath of fresh air. Thugs seem to think you are just an urban legend...you show them how mistaken they are time and again, and it's hilarious.
    10-Ability to go back to the Batcave almost anytime.

What I didn't like:

1-The story is too short, with considerably less "character duels", plots and fights overall.
    2-The game is too easy...either that or I've become a true combat machine. Overall, combat situations aren't as dense and challenging as they were in Arkham city.
    3-There seems to be less content with respect to the previous title. Less side missions, less enigma trophies, etc.
    4-Even though Origins is a pretty much flawless game, I found some bugs that forced me to reload a couple of times and made my final duel with Bane a little weird.
    5-This is related to number 1 and 2, but still, gadgets are too easy to get too early, which makes the game even shorter and easier.

As you can see, I Iiked this game despite its shortcomings. The problem is that Arkham city was so amazing, so long, so complete and filled with so many side missions and other stuff that Origins isn't able to completely live up to it as some people expected.
    If you liked the Arkham saga, you won't be too disappointed with Origins. This is a pretty solid saga and I'm happy it exists because I haven't found any other saga that can be compared to it, not even AC.
  61. May 8, 2014
    Let's get one thing straight- the game is clearly a cash-grab. There's no good reason for this story to need to be told other than to pacify the masses with a Batman game. With that said, let's get to the details: it's a carbon copy clone of Arkham City, even down to the map (about 70% of the map is the same locations used in Arkham City). Arkham City told a better, longer story thanLet's get one thing straight- the game is clearly a cash-grab. There's no good reason for this story to need to be told other than to pacify the masses with a Batman game. With that said, let's get to the details: it's a carbon copy clone of Arkham City, even down to the map (about 70% of the map is the same locations used in Arkham City). Arkham City told a better, longer story than Origins. However, comparing this game to City is futile, because City is definitely a masterpiece. Is it so bad that Origins comes close without actually attaining the same heights as its predecessor? For example- there are new gadgets in the game, which make a good attempt at being unique and useful, but they're mostly either useless or overpowered. Essentially, that means that this game is just a rather expensive (but long) expansion to City. With a few bugs mixed in, but still- it's a decent holdup.

The one thing that this game does spectacularly are the cutscenes. They are phenomenal, to say the least. They're brilliantly scripted and animated. They're exciting, intriguing, engrossing, and do well to move the plot along. I can think of a number of scenes of the Joker that are the most memorable in the series- yes, even better than Asylum or City. That's where this game is king- it's story isn't the greatest, but the way that it's presented is so certainly flashy and brilliant that you forgive it anyways.
  62. Nov 2, 2013
    Completes one of the best gaming trilogies of all time. If you like those two previous games, you will love this great addition to Arkham series. All what makes Asylum and City so good, is back in Arkham Origins.

Yes, it is more of the same (greatness), but I don't see any reviews whining about that when it's Battlefield or Call of Doodie series in question.
  63. Oct 25, 2013
    The cape is finally black, and there are no man panties in sight. Now Rocksteady should learn to make a serviceable Batman by omitting the absurd blue/purple cape and briefs, their Batman design is a walking paradox.
    P.S. The grey belt is nice, keep that too.
  64. Oct 28, 2013
    I honestly don't understand some of these negative reviews. While it is obvious that WB wanted to cash in on the franchise, the same thing can be said for just about every successful video game franchise. This game is by far the best of the trilogy so far. I've even complaints about it having obscure villains...If you don't know who Deathstroke and Deadshot are (btw these are hardlyI honestly don't understand some of these negative reviews. While it is obvious that WB wanted to cash in on the franchise, the same thing can be said for just about every successful video game franchise. This game is by far the best of the trilogy so far. I've even complaints about it having obscure villains...If you don't know who Deathstroke and Deadshot are (btw these are hardly obscure characters) then you should really revisit your batman lore.

The boss fights are extraordinary and who doesn't want to play batman when he's first introduced to some of the most infamous villains in gotham? Honestly this game deserves a solid 10. If you like Batman, and you liked the other two games then purchase the game and you will not be disappointed.

Solid game.
  65. Nov 3, 2013
    I dont know whats this low score about. But this is the best batman game with stunning graphics, new action packed gameplay and some other new and exciting features nd side missions.
  66. Oct 28, 2013
    I actually accept the fact that it didn't improvise they way Arkham City did but i still feel that this game is hugely underrated .

PROS- The story may feel shabby at start but it get interesting slowly and steadily and at the moment when Joker comes you'll be amazed The visuals seems to be upgraded slightly than Arkham City the new ambient lighting and very small details are good

PROS-
    The story may feel shabby at start but it get interesting slowly and steadily and at the moment when Joker comes you'll be amazed The visuals seems to be upgraded slightly than Arkham City the new ambient lighting and very small details are good for a change. The voice acting seems to be fantastic Craig Smith sound aggressive enough to be young Batman and Troy always shone like Joker Nolan's Penguin and Blanc's Bane is also never-miss.
    The Fighting mechanics seems to be a bit more harder showing the new and raw Bat The side-mission are also a pretty good change from Main-Objective .

One of the awesome thing was Matter's chase of Alice in wonderland which was pretty point on interest.

CONS-
    The world is big and beautiful but not pack with tons of point of interest and feels empty. The gadgets and mechanics have not been refined that much The game seems to miss than anticipation of itself and plus the BUTTLOAD of BUGS

Overall it is a good game don't get misjudge by crappy reviews
  67. Oct 31, 2013
    Worthy successor to the Arkham franchise. I have some minor gripes about the game but it captures the Batman experience perfectly. I've seen complaints about the game not bringing anything new to the table, but honestly, why mess with a formula that works?
  68. Nov 18, 2013
    To get it out of the way: I had fun playing Origins.
    Keep in mind that Arkham City raised the bar to an excessively high level, and that even Rocksteady themselves most likely would not have been able to reproduce that caliber of experience again.
    Hands down, the game was not as good as City, but was still a great game and mainly suffers because of the comparisons. It is extremely
    To get it out of the way: I had fun playing Origins.
    It is extremely difficult for me to fairly judge a game when I am biased and comparing it to an earlier version. All I find myself really wanting to do is bash Origins for everything that keeps it from exceeding the caliber of City, but no matter how much I criticize Origins for its lack thereof...again...I still had a lot of fun playing it. Joker's performance is one of my favorite interpretations of the character.
    However, one flaw I would like to point out is that Origins is significantly less optimized than City with horrendous framerate drops during cutscenes, and also that the game was released with a few bugs that have since then been mostly dealt with.

I gave Arkham City a 10/10, and Origins is still a great game to play but loses points for poor optimization and a few minor bugs that keep it from being perfect.

ADDITION: THE MULTIPLAYER!
    The multiplayer of this game is amazing and a true "diamond in the rough" type game. Just like the Assassins Creed's Multiplayer, it is extremely underrated, unique and innovative. Do not overlook the multiplayer if you own the game, it is worth the unique experience.
  69. Nov 18, 2014
    I forgot I had a family until I played this game, it literally ruined my life, until my parents got me a pet snake. I am scared of snakes and I killed myself, so now I live with Jesus so I'm happy, Still sings better than Justin Bieber 10/10
  70. Oct 29, 2013
    No matter what the critic says...this game is really good, The history is amazing and replaces any lack of new technology in a good history. Try to played and judge for yourself
  71. Oct 26, 2013
    More of the same as B:AA & B:AC but that's only a good thing when it works so well. Combat remains enjoyable as with previous games and the same with Predator mode. Maybe it's just me, but the combat does feel slightly less fluid than the previous games. Another thing I've noticed is that all of the environments a bit rehashed from AC models/environments (maybe a bit of deja vu when I sawMore of the same as B:AA & B:AC but that's only a good thing when it works so well. Combat remains enjoyable as with previous games and the same with Predator mode. Maybe it's just me, but the combat does feel slightly less fluid than the previous games. Another thing I've noticed is that all of the environments a bit rehashed from AC models/environments (maybe a bit of deja vu when I saw the AC courthouse-like building here in AO). Otherwise, still good fun to play. Expand
  72. Oct 31, 2013
    There really is no pleasing some people! Asylum and City were both ground-breaking at the time, think of this therefore as your Return of the Jedi moment. Everyone knows that film was not the best, or the most popular, but still was Star Wars. If Metacritic existed back then, I'm sure there'd be similar comments to those below eg. "it's more of the same", "it's not as good as Empire",There really is no pleasing some people! Asylum and City were both ground-breaking at the time, think of this therefore as your Return of the Jedi moment. Everyone knows that film was not the best, or the most popular, but still was Star Wars. If Metacritic existed back then, I'm sure there'd be similar comments to those below eg. "it's more of the same", "it's not as good as Empire", blah, blah ...

Basically, what we have with Origins is a different studio and voice actors etc, but it's a pretty slick piece of work from where I'm standing. Combat is just as good as I remember, and having all the gadgets from the start is great fun. Indoor sequences are more interesting than the open world, I admit. The boss fights are actually in some cases better than any in the previous games, and I really like the new time-shift crime-scene ability. So I disagree that the studio has just tried to give us a clone of a previous game. As for the bugs, the only one I've noticed (which is pretty annoying), is that when Batman fast travels, the load screen gets stuck indefinitely, and I'm on an SSD. Apart from that I haven't seen any texture or load issues, frame-rate drops or any pullava like that.

The bottom-line is that if you love Batman and/or combat games, buy this game.
  73. Oct 29, 2013
    GOTY 2013. Best game in the series. Solves problems with earlier Arkham games. For example, Bane here is not a mindless monkey brute, as he shouldn't be. Joker is closer to being his real old, darker self, instead of the annoying character he became post-TAS. We see Barbara as an actual character, not some drone voice on your earpiece. We see a strong, angry Batman, not one that almostGOTY 2013. Best game in the series. Solves problems with earlier Arkham games. For example, Bane here is not a mindless monkey brute, as he shouldn't be. Joker is closer to being his real old, darker self, instead of the annoying character he became post-TAS. We see Barbara as an actual character, not some drone voice on your earpiece. We see a strong, angry Batman, not one that almost looks like he should be walking around with a monocle and passing out get-out-of-jail free cards. Forget plot and characterization in previous games, Origins is where its at. The series had good gameplay; now it also has good everything else.
    About the gameplay itself, it's similar but improved on the previous flaws. Combat in AC was great but too easy. This time around you need to time things properly; spamming the attack button will make you lose your combo constantly and eventually die, unlike the previous games.
    So overall..the series improves once again.
  74. Apr 1, 2014
    Much darker and gritter than Asylum and City and all the better for it. Its mature plot, the relentless fights and the the awesome atmosphere make this my favourite of the Arkham series. If you like the Nolan Dark Knigth Trilogy, this one is for you! Don't believe the mixed / below par critics scores, they are all way off.
  75. Nov 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I nearly missed this due to poorish review scores,glad i got round to it been playing all day,10 major baddies,32 in all,new style upgrade system and a great storyline.
    boss fights are kind of unique,my favourite of the three easy so far.
  76. Nov 11, 2013
    From the last 3 games of Batman, I stay with this new release. previous games from Rockstedy seem very childish (and ugly engine art) for me. This game SweetFX FOV fix 3D Vision Texture Mods= Excellent PC experience!. AND THANKS A LOT for the Latin American voices (whit the best actors from this side of the planet) Well done WB Games takes note Rocksteady :P The only criticism isFrom the last 3 games of Batman, I stay with this new release. previous games from Rockstedy seem very childish (and ugly engine art) for me. This game SweetFX FOV fix 3D Vision Texture Mods= Excellent PC experience!. AND THANKS A LOT for the Latin American voices (whit the best actors from this side of the planet) Well done WB Games takes note Rocksteady :P The only criticism is that additional suits should be available for the first game. many of us only play once the SP campaign. Great for PC whit all the recommendations I write before. Expand
  77. Nov 12, 2013
    Calm the f**k down!
    Here is a game that has the unique ability of bringing out the irrational in gamers and reviewers. From what people are saying, this game is akin to Hitler and Nixon tap dancing over the body of your dead grandmother while wearing hats made out of mutilated kittens and puppies.
    Calm the f**k down!
    Let me get this out of the way. It's a Batman game. Much like the previous ones, it has fluid combat, good story and voice acting.
    It is not ground-breaking, but short of making batman an autistic transvestite with an obsession for Pac-Man clones, it was going to be pretty similar to the other games.
    One notable exception, I seem to get my butt handed over a lot more often in this game. Sometimes you encounter very large groups of diverse enemies which make the fighting very challenging, but at the same time, very fun as well.
    Patched up, I have not found any game breaking bugs so far except for some odd anomalies every now and then.
    Overall, a good game that is way more fun that the pile of mediocre trash released (looking at you, COD:Ghosts).
  78. Jan 9, 2014
    Every bit as awesome as its console version with crispier graphx. I insist that though it's not as improved or different as it should be, it is by far the most well balanced and fun of the three with a lot better storytelling. Way underrated.
  79. May 15, 2014
    Amazing, simply amazing, astounding even possibly one of the best games ever released in 2013.
    Its a good jumping off point obviously for anyone who wants to play the Batman Arkham games.
    As well as it captures the character development of Batman magnificently.
  80. Apr 3, 2014
    It may lack new ideas of it's own, exploration is now not as interesting and Gotham is lifeless. The awesome free flow combat is back, the boss fights are improved and the climax is just as good as last time. Still when Batman games aren't that great, there still pretty good and I love this!
  81. Nov 4, 2013
    Rocksteady has set the bar on how superhero games (and even action games in general) should be. Arkham Asylum and City were amazing in every way. The gameplay, the story, the atmosphere, is was all there. Combine that with good graphics and amazing voice acting, and you got yourself a masterpiece.

But that's all Rocksteady's work. Now, a few years later, we have Arkham Origins. A prequel to Arkham Asylum. Made by a brand new studio, named Warner Brothers Montreal. And did they do a good job in making a worthy origin story for the games we know and love?

Yes, it is. Here's why:

The gameplay:

The gameplay in Arkham Orgins is exactly the same as in City. The freeflow is there, the gadgets are there, and it actually feels a little harder with more impact. Don't expect a new game, because it's not.

The story:

I liked the story, quite a lot even. It's not as good as Asylum or City, but defiantly worthy of the Arkham title

The Admosphere;

And this is where Origins just isn't as good as a Rocksteady game. For me it just really didn't feel like the Arkham games I know and love. I can't quite put my finger on it though.

The voice acting is decent. Batman's new voice actor fits the character well, and that's the case with most of the characters. The Joker however, is now voiced by Troy Baker, known for; Booker DeWitt (Bioshock Infinite), Joel (The Last of Us) and many more. He did an amazing job voicing the Joker, and that deserves to be applauded.

All in all Arkham Origins was a great game in my opinion, despite a few bugs (which I didn't encounter at all). I think most Batman fans will really enjoy this game, just don't get too high hopes.
  82. Nov 3, 2013
    Unlike the previous Arkham games, I'd say you should only play this if you are truly a Batman fan.
    So, with that in mind, I'd say that this game is great. Not perfect, like Arkham City, but still a fantastic game. The story is impeccable, the voice acting is top notch, the gameplay (though the same) still feels fun and exciting. The only problem is that it desperately needs innovation. Still, until Rocksteady delivers us the next true sequel to Arkham City, this is a great pass time.
  83. Nov 2, 2013
    loved arkham city you ll love this one too aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa1
  84. Nov 2, 2013
    All the people saying that the game is unpolished, are completely oblivious. Animations are just as good if not better than arkham city and asylum. Story is excellent, boss fights are awesome on hard difficulty. I haven't experienced any of the technical issues that people are complaining about. My only complaint is that the beginning of the story is a little rushed, you are just thrownAll the people saying that the game is unpolished, are completely oblivious. Animations are just as good if not better than arkham city and asylum. Story is excellent, boss fights are awesome on hard difficulty. I haven't experienced any of the technical issues that people are complaining about. My only complaint is that the beginning of the story is a little rushed, you are just thrown in, no real backstory to black mask in the beginning of the game, but picks up quickly. Expand
  85. Nov 4, 2013
    I would say that this was a solid entry into the Batman: Arkham franchise. Though it didn't reach the heights of its predecessors (and following Arkham City is no mean feat), it holds its own as a game familiar but different. The story was surprisingly well-done, though short and some characters were not fleshed out enough. Combat is still entertaining, and the new enemies are a niceI would say that this was a solid entry into the Batman: Arkham franchise. Though it didn't reach the heights of its predecessors (and following Arkham City is no mean feat), it holds its own as a game familiar but different. The story was surprisingly well-done, though short and some characters were not fleshed out enough. Combat is still entertaining, and the new enemies are a nice addition. I was very impressed by Troy Baker's Joker, and Roger Craig Smith did a good job for Batman. Hope that they can take the input from this game and figure out how to make it better in the next. Expand
  86. Nov 8, 2013
    Wow, the worst thing I can say about this game is that the story was, at times, slightly predictable. Everything else was higly polished and refined with some interesting add-ons; my personal favourite being the martial-artist enemy and of course being able to use Deathstroke in the extra fighting mini-game.
  87. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Amazing graphics, and physics. 10.

Sound: Nice theme, professional voice acting. 10. Gameplay: So far my favorite Batman game, it plays similar to Arkham City with new gadgets, and a more scripted story experience. The combat is in your face, with amazing boss battles, and story driven gameplay. Of course there's plenty of side missions and exploration in another
    Graphics: Amazing graphics, and physics. 10.

Sound: Nice theme, professional voice acting. 10.

Gameplay: So far my favorite Batman game, it plays similar to Arkham City with new gadgets, and a more scripted story experience. The combat is in your face, with amazing boss battles, and story driven gameplay. Of course there's plenty of side missions and exploration in another great open world Batman game. There's multiplayer this time around with 3 teams going up against each other, its innovative and adds great stealth gameplay against other players. 10.

Story: The origins of Batman when he begins fighting crime with a few surprises, and amazing story told experience. 10.

Replay Value: Open world sandbox Batman game with plenty of side missions, and collectibles. Batman Arkham Origins also introduces multiplayer for the first time. This game is worth it, 10.

Overall Score: 10 out of 10.
  88. Jan 22, 2014
    Para empezar describiendo este juego comenzaré diciendo que es el que mas me ha gustado de las tres entregas de Batman, pero no ha llegado a cumplir todas mis expectativas. El juego esta muy bien, es exactamente como la segunda entrega, innovación casi nula. La duración ronda las 12 horas sin contar las misiones secundarias. El doblaje es de lo mejor del juego y que decir de lasPara empezar describiendo este juego comenzaré diciendo que es el que mas me ha gustado de las tres entregas de Batman, pero no ha llegado a cumplir todas mis expectativas. El juego esta muy bien, es exactamente como la segunda entrega, innovación casi nula. La duración ronda las 12 horas sin contar las misiones secundarias. El doblaje es de lo mejor del juego y que decir de las actuaciones de algunos protagonistas como el Joker o Bane. Lo que menos me gustó del juego fue su duración, mas que nada porque me gustó tanto que no quería que se acabara. Lo mejor del juego son las peleas contra los jefes finales, muchísimo mejores que las primera y segunda entrega, la pelea contra Deathstroke o Bane son simplemente espectaculares. Por todo ello recomiendo totalmente el juego, una joya. Expand
  89. Nov 22, 2013
    Batman Arkham Origins doesn't offer you any excitement if you already played previous Arkham games. When we first played Arkham Asylum, we felt like true Batman. When we played Arkham City, we wandered around in open world, in the city, which is a really different feeling from previous game Asylum. But in this game, Arkham City feel continues with a combination Arkam Asylum story. CoolBatman Arkham Origins doesn't offer you any excitement if you already played previous Arkham games. When we first played Arkham Asylum, we felt like true Batman. When we played Arkham City, we wandered around in open world, in the city, which is a really different feeling from previous game Asylum. But in this game, Arkham City feel continues with a combination Arkam Asylum story. Cool game, i've just completed it. However, i wanted to experience something new. Mechanics have been improved but combat is almost copy paste. Different gadgets are cool, but almost half of them are the same. I wanted to see Batmobile and i expected a more open world city game like GTA, Saints Row. But no, there are no vehicles to use except fast travel Batwing, kind of plane which Batman uses. You can't control it either, not even once. Just cinematic shows up when you fast travel. I think Arkham trilogy ends with this game. The next Batman game must be really different or it will be another Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty tragedy. I want to walk into the streets, i wanna see civillians, cars, i want to see a living city. I hope they consider it and the next Batman game will be the top of these three games. Expand
  90. Nov 24, 2013
    The whole reason I became a huge Batman fan is because of the Arkham franchise. I would easily give it a 9 if it weren't for the bugs. And not just solely on PC, but on consoles too. The game was clearly rushed with the amount of bugs on launch and there's no excuse for the multiplayer problems with the console beta tests. Besides these frustrating bugs though, the game is very well doneThe whole reason I became a huge Batman fan is because of the Arkham franchise. I would easily give it a 9 if it weren't for the bugs. And not just solely on PC, but on consoles too. The game was clearly rushed with the amount of bugs on launch and there's no excuse for the multiplayer problems with the console beta tests. Besides these frustrating bugs though, the game is very well done for a first attempt with a first attempt of Warner Bros. Once all the bugs are cleaned out I'm sure it'll be much more enjoyable. A lot of critics will say that this game is "more of the same" and just a personal input for these people: It is no different from Call of Duty, Battlefield or any other big name games. This combat system is what made these particular Batman games the best out of all the terrible previous attempts. Expand
  91. Apr 22, 2015
    It is good game, I played it hours and hours, but the game play didn't reach batman arkham city,The free-flow mechanics is great and better than before, some bugs annoying while playing, but if you like batman games, you should play this, ill give this score because staff did a lot to bring this game
  92. Dec 1, 2013
    First of all, I believe it's a worthy successor to the previous Arkham games. While I agree that there is not as much innovation from Arkham City to Origins as we were able to see from Arkham Asylum to City, the game is fun, and the cinematic sequences do a lot to immerse the player into the story. Batman is definitely a whole lot darker and unrefined and I really like the addition of theFirst of all, I believe it's a worthy successor to the previous Arkham games. While I agree that there is not as much innovation from Arkham City to Origins as we were able to see from Arkham Asylum to City, the game is fun, and the cinematic sequences do a lot to immerse the player into the story. Batman is definitely a whole lot darker and unrefined and I really like the addition of the Batcave as the base of operations. It's a mix between Batman Begins and The 1989/90s Tim Burton movies base on atmosphere and encountered adversaries, and that works really well. I like the winter/Christmas atmosphere. Just the right thing for this time of year. I also like that a lot of abilities/gadgets do not have to be re-earned, but are now readily available. While this does not make sense in the time line continuity, it stops the repetitiveness and frustration.

The game is also challenging, even on lower skill levels, and some of the boss fights do get close to being frustrating, but the game manages to awaken the want to finish the fight. Once again, similar to the previous games, a good game to me means that I want to come back to it, and keep playing and replaying it. The Batman: Arkham franchise checks all those marks.
  93. Dec 3, 2013
    What a breath of fresh air! The Arkham series has done it again. For all the batman comic geeks; you will be impressed...mostly. For the rest of you arkham asylum/city fans: get. this. game. The only thing I didnt really like about this game was the very very minor 'adjustments' made to the canon story. Give it an easy 9.5
  94. Apr 5, 2014
    Before playing it , i used to think this was really bad just because is really underated but after completing it i can almost say its the best game of the franchise, maybe it doesnt have a lot of new stuff , but it has the best story so far , which is way less predictable than city or asylum and explores some unknown characters for a lot of people, the multiplayer is fun to play for enoughBefore playing it , i used to think this was really bad just because is really underated but after completing it i can almost say its the best game of the franchise, maybe it doesnt have a lot of new stuff , but it has the best story so far , which is way less predictable than city or asylum and explores some unknown characters for a lot of people, the multiplayer is fun to play for enough time and pretty well balanced when the batman and robin team is good. and apart from the story, the bossfights are one of the best things in the game , which are 10 times more exciting and epic than any of their other games Expand
  95. Jan 30, 2014
    I really don't understand the hate going on for this game. The first game is still the best because it set such a high standard for superhero games. But Origins is a close second and here is why: It is very good at sticking to the source material. The story and characters are interesting, deceptive, and much more dark than in the previous two games. The language and dialogue, as well asI really don't understand the hate going on for this game. The first game is still the best because it set such a high standard for superhero games. But Origins is a close second and here is why: It is very good at sticking to the source material. The story and characters are interesting, deceptive, and much more dark than in the previous two games. The language and dialogue, as well as the events of the story and the characters are all written for a mature audience, which is exactly what the Nolan movies were praised for. AC had no plot to speak of, characters randomly popped out for no reason and seemed hokey. And the Joker was a total, well, joke. In AO he's actually a psychopath very reminiscent of Ledger's portrayal, with a good clone of Hamill's voice acting. So again, why all the hate?

Also in AC, Arkham wasn't so much of a city as it was a clusterball of buildings mashed together without roads. Which means poor level deisgn. Origins really makes Arkham a believable place, with its own unique architecture. Also enemies catch you off guard more, which keeps you on your toes, instead of making Batman into a Superman clone, which he was in AC. If anything, Batman is more a detective this time around, which, again, he should be.

Everything else is great, combat, XP system etc. If it aint broke don't fix it.

Only gripe with the game is having to revisit buildings you've already cleared just to pick up Enigma Datapacks that require a certain gadget. I don't mind doing this, but then after clearing the building, you have BACKTRACK just to get back outside. No secondary exit. There should at least be an option in the pause menu to just go back outside. But there isnt. Inexcusable IMO. Also, crashes here and there but its VERY rare. Not sure about bugs or glitches, haven't encountered any, but maybe Ive been lucky.

Overall a solid 8. But im giving it a 10 because of all the poor reviews. For example, heres a quote from a review below: "Warner Bros Montreal clearly is only interested in doing the absolute minimum necessary to make a slightly new game in order to turn a quick profit." .... what a load of BS. There is nothing about this game that justifies that sort of comment or a 0 rating. Bottom line, if you liked Batman the animated series, or the Nolan/Burton movies, then this game is for you.
  96. Mar 16, 2014
    Batman:Arkham Origins is an action-adventure video game in PC, XOBOX360 and PS3. It came out after “Batman: Arkham Asylum” and “Batman: Arkham City”, was 3rd one of this game series. In my opinion, it’s really a good game; also it’s much better than the 2nd one, the “Arkham City”
    At first, this game has a lot of tasks which waiting for us. To finish them, we have to use our brain to operate batman’s tools in different situation. For example, we may need explosives to destroy one wall so that we can pass there; when we got caught by a lot of enemies which carry guns, we can use smoke bomb disturb their vision first, and then we can use batman’s bat claw hook to the eaves and then waiting for chance to slay them one by one.; also, we may need decoder to crack password of some locked doors. It’s really not easy to pass the tasks, I really enjoy the process.
    Batman:Arkham Origins is an action-adventure video game, so that fight with enemy is just one of the essential elements of it. I think 80% of our time in this game will be spend on fight, and it’s normally to be 1 v 10, 1 v 20, or even more. So it’s challenging to players, because we have to balance the time we spend on attack, defend or counterattack. Not to mention enemies may carry kinds of weapons, like guns, knives, or shields. I have to say it’s very cool that we can control Batman to punish gangsters, but it’s really not an easy thing to do.
    The reason why I think “Arkham Origins” is better than the “ Arkham City”, the 2nd one is that now have more details in the fight with boss. I can still remember clearly of the fight with the dead stroke, which came out first as boss. His attack speed is fast, and we use counterstrike too much it won’t cause damage to him, instead of it, batman will get hurt. Also, after we make enough damage to him, we have to finish QTE, which buttons we need to press appear in screen by random order. If we can’t finish it, death stroke will make a huge damage to us. I spent half hour on him to pass it, it’s really hard and interesting to fight with him. But in the “Arkham City”, fight with boss was much easier. This is why I think “Arkham Origins” is better.
    All in all, I think this game is very good and merit recommending to others.
  97. Apr 19, 2014
    I'm...Batman?

I'm...Batman?

Ok. Batman AO is the newest in the Batman video game franchise.I understand that i'm a few months late(As usual), but I just picked it up during the Steam winter sale. Now to summarize my thoughts of the previous two games: Asylum was meh. Average graphics, typical Batman story, and pretty good gameplay. City was a better meh. Meh graphics, Great gameplay and and a Batman story. AO, on the other wing is, well, Batman approved.

AOs story is a bit better than typical Bats fair. Black Mask breaks out of prison, then hires 7 of the worlds best killers to do their job. Now without venturing into spoiler water, things are not always as they seem. Now the reason that I said that this was better than the typical Bats story is that, this being an origins story, most of the major villains of Arkham don't really know about Batman yet. Outside of Penguin and Joker, the rest of the villains are part of the lesser characters list on WB games site.

Now I need another paragraph. Now as you may have guessed, most of the game is based around killing these villains. The major ones that I remember are Deadshot, Copperhead, Bane, Firefly, Anarchy, Slade Wilson, and the Electrocutioner. As you may have guessed, these serve as the games boss battles. And those being boss battles, they are the games low point. They all attack as their respective weight classes normal foes would. Bane charges and has to be killed with beatdowns, Wilson must be killed using a lot of counters, and copperhead using blocks. No variety here...

Ok, so you may have noticed that I am yet to mention graphics. Well, there pretty good. Snow looks nice, the Bat-suit is detailed down to the depth of which the bat on his chest can be measured, and night never looked so good. The facial animations are solid, and the regular animations look, well, smooth. The game could have used a tad bit of polish, but, this being the 7th or 8th year of the consoles, I can forgive them.

About the combat...it is Batalitious. It is largely unchanged from the previous games. It may not have innovated much, but neither bid Borderlands and it worked. It seems a lot less gadget based than City, but yet again, who said that was a bad thing. It is based around a series of counters, blocks, and special takedowns, that, when stringed together, work perfectly. It is a system that few games have been able to master, and, thankfully, Batman AO has.

Then again, theres the mulitplayer. For the most part, it revolves around crappy third-person shooting, with occasional games playing as the Bat. There isn't really a lot to be said here. In MP, there are 3 teams: Banes thugs, Jokers lunatics, and Batman/Robin. Joker and Bane fight it out with the standard fair of shottys, snipers, and HMGS. Its for the most part sub-par shooting that is extremely dated. And well they're off killing eachother, Bats and Robin(Who never shows up in SP) are able to sneak around on lions and pick of gunmen. Its similar to Spies vs. Mercs in Splinter Cell, and is well...meh

Last, I just wanted to spend a few words talking about the sound. The games base sound is solid, the guns are, well, guns, and the outside winds are good. The music is sub-meh, and for the most part forgettable. The voice actors, on the other wing, are pretty solid, and at least worthy of a sentence.

Well, the verdict. Good graphics, great story, decent sound and amazing gameplay. Maybe its been too long since i last played a good game, but in my book, this counts as one

Sound-8
    Bonus-2

Almost Perfect
    Buy this game now!
  98. Apr 21, 2014
    The mainstream reviewer criticisms of this game caused me some concern before playing it, as I knew it must be hard for a different studio to match the level of excellence Rocksteady had achieved with Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. All these concerns were steadily laid to rest as I delved into Arkham Origins.

I don't know what these whiners are complaining about! WB Montreal did such an

I don't know what these whiners are complaining about! WB Montreal did such an amazing job of duplicating all the excellence of Rocksteady's first two Batman games, that had I not KNOWN it was a different studio going into this I wouldn't have even noticed that it wasn't Rocksteady that made this game. All the little polishes, sound effects, menu mechanics, controls, combat, gadgets, all of it has been amazingly re-created in Arkham Origins AND expanded upon.

To the complaints that WB Montreal didn't break any new ground, I beg to differ. They took a proven, best-game-ever-made formula from Rocksteady and duplicated it almost to a tee, then they built on it by introducing even more polish and game elements. Now you can traverse all of Gotham City, not just a small section. Being able to fast travel with the Batwing was a great new addition, and also being able to go back and forth at will to a downright awesome Batcave builds even more on the formula Rocksteady perfected.

The story sequences and plot development, while perhaps not as mind-blowing and full of top-tier villians as in the first two games, are extremely well-done and really reinforce the feeling of being in Batman's early years when he's not so well known by the criminal culture of Gotham. In my opinion, they also did a fantastic job in portraying Batman in such a way that he really does seem like a younger, less experienced Batman (albeit still potent and powerful). The ONLY thing that doesn't make complete sense is the fact that he has access to more gadgets and gadget upgrades than he does in Asylum and City. While it is understandable that WB Montreal wanted to expand the Batman experience by doing this, it doesn't fit as well into the plot of a younger, less experienced Batman who is really just getting started.

One more big improvement that I noticed was the really awesome crime scene reconstruction aspect, further highlighting the oft-ignored aspect of Batman being the world's greatest detective. Suffice it to say, this was a really cool feature that I was impressed with WB Montreal for adding in such a well-done fashion. It actually makes Rocksteady's first two games seem lacking in this detective aspect.

I could go on and on about the improvement in the side quests aspect of the game, the satisfaction of beating up crowds of criminals as they shout "who is this guy? I can't believe he's doing this to us!", to the increased scope and game area of the entire city, to the training modules in the Batcave, and on and on.

And oh, I thought that the stand-in voice actor for Batman did a perfectly fine job! He sounds VERY much like Kevin Conroy, and any slight differences make sense in the fact that he is several years younger so his voice wouldn't sound exactly the same as it does years later (the pitch of our voices does change slightly over time).

BOTTOM LINE: there is no reason to expect a sub-par experience from Arkham Origins because WB Montreal made this instead of Rocksteady. In fact, they took all the excellence from the first two games and improved on it even more. The critics just need to get a life and stop whining!
  99. Jun 15, 2014
    I am totally charmed with this game. It is really awesome. Graphics looks sharp and beautiful. Everything is thought out well. Models are juicy candies! You get great friendly characters, great villain characters. And of course Batman himself with all his wonderful gadjets and amazing flying vehicle. In fact this is the most good looking Batman game for now. Fighting is well balanced, niceI am totally charmed with this game. It is really awesome. Graphics looks sharp and beautiful. Everything is thought out well. Models are juicy candies! You get great friendly characters, great villain characters. And of course Batman himself with all his wonderful gadjets and amazing flying vehicle. In fact this is the most good looking Batman game for now. Fighting is well balanced, nice hacking. You won't get bored with this game. I didn't finish it yet but heard that plot including ending is one of the best in Batman games. Expand
  100. Nov 13, 2014
    Intro:
    Greatly improved from Arkham City...
    Controls, Graphics Voices, Stronger Bosses and DLC!

Graphics:
    Low (580 640)
    Medium ( 670 - 680)
    High to Highest (690 and Up)

Dedicated Physx card
    640, and 750

The Bad:
    Engima Data Packs

1. Dec 13, 2013
    "You don't want to be the guys who messed up and ran into the ground one of the absolute, top-rated franchises of all time. You don't want that at the top of your CV. 'Yeah, I'm the guy who turned a 96 into a 60, that's my claim to fame,’ said Arkham Origins’ producer Ben Matts a couple of days before the game’s release. Turns out, they did exactly that.
  2. Nov 27, 2013
    There's definitely some re-tread going on with Batman: Arkham Origins, but the combat, the relatively good story (B-list villain aside), the powerful feeling of being Batman in video game form has only muted my enthusiasm for the franchise by the smallest of margins.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Nov 25, 2013
    You can't go wrong with sticking to Rocksteady's Bat-formula, however it is starting to feel a little played out. [December 2013, p.93]