Battle Worlds: Kronos PC

7.1

1. Nov 9, 2013
    I was very excited about the prospect of a turn based game with a focus on strategy and difficultly. Unfortunately once I got into the campaign this turned to out to be illusion. The "strategic" AI in this game controls groups of units in pretty much two modes. Wait until you are in range then have the group attack, or chase and attack. That is it. Every battle and encounter will plays theI was very excited about the prospect of a turn based game with a focus on strategy and difficultly. Unfortunately once I got into the campaign this turned to out to be illusion. The "strategic" AI in this game controls groups of units in pretty much two modes. Wait until you are in range then have the group attack, or chase and attack. That is it. Every battle and encounter will plays the same way with the AI shuffling units around. The "difficulty" is implemented by giving the AI endless spawning units that attack and suicide themselves to whittle your units down. This is a big disappointment and a clear cop approach out for game developers who can't come up with a good AI.

The end result is the campaign scenarios railroad you into making a rush play to the end objective. There is no real strategy...you rush units leaving some behind as you go to delay endless spawning masses while grabbing anything you can along the way. You'll play the same scenarios over and over, wiping out, until you hit upon the right path on the map. The game is move akin to solving a puzzle by trail-and-error that using any real battle strategy.
  2. Nov 5, 2013
    Two days in:

Two days in:

It's a quality game. Watching the developer video really connected with me. I feel gameplay in modern titles has suffered, as more efforts end up going into graphics and animations with your typical release. That being said, Battle Worlds still has pretty cool artwork and watching things explode is always a pleasure when in the game. Cutscene videos have extremely good quality, and almost dwarf the in game graphics by comparison.

Where Kronos seems to shine most, is in the gameplay. The wide variety of units, and depth came to me as a surprise. From what I've seen, the tactical capacity, and room for creative strategic ideas is enormous. As a chess player, this was great to see for me.

It's an engaging game, and requires a lot of planning, thinking, and concentration. The UI is very streamlined, and makes the complexity of the game easy to interface with (think Civ 5).

For being turn based, command transitions are very smooth, and almost make it feel real time. Honest to the advertising, it does seem well optimized.

Overall, the game plays like a modernized, more action packed model of Alpha Centauri, spliced with Advanced Wars. I will keep the rating updated as I continue to play. So far, very impressive. I'm having a lot of fun with it. Still haven't tried multiplayer.
  3. Nov 8, 2013
    Could have been a good game, but difficulty is brutal. If you are a hardcore strategy gamer this may be a great game for you, but if you are a casual gamer just avoid this game. Why can't I change difficulty settings like in almost all other strategy games?!
  4. Nov 15, 2014
    A dissapointment for me. Thends to produce very fast games, where almost every move you do has to be the best possible move there is, otherwise you lose. Not sure why, but I dont have the good old battle isle feelings, something is missing here.
    Not a completely bad game, but a lot of wasted potential for me.
  5. Apr 7, 2015
    It's a pretty good modern remake of Battle Isle, so if you liked Battle Isle back in the 90s, you will like this one, too. I myself wasn't a fan of Battle Isle or Advanced Wars. I much more like Massive Assault (be sure to check out that gem of 2003 if you like TBS). The differences may be minor but my main reason to dislike Battle Isle (and BW:K) is that most units move so far whileIt's a pretty good modern remake of Battle Isle, so if you liked Battle Isle back in the 90s, you will like this one, too. I myself wasn't a fan of Battle Isle or Advanced Wars. I much more like Massive Assault (be sure to check out that gem of 2003 if you like TBS). The differences may be minor but my main reason to dislike Battle Isle (and BW:K) is that most units move so far while having pretty short sight range - which means that much of the battle depends on luck because you usually move into darkness and enemies can pop out of nowhere which cripples planning for any more than 1-2 turns. Massive Assault with its "perfect information" play feels more tactical, almost like chess and that's what I like. It may actually be a cultural difference because Germans and Russians (I'm a Russian) like TBS games without randomness while Americans prefer more randomized, RPG-like outcomes, and Battle Isle is an American game. That said, I'd still give Battle Isle and BW:K a 9/10 or an 8/10. My main complaint with BW:K though is about the GUI. As a new player I had trouble understanding which unit does how much damage and good vs what. To see that, one needs to press "Unit info" button and then the whole screen gets covered by a huge dialog where the important stats are presented as tiny scattered numbers. And still, some stats are missing, e.g. sight range. Ideally, I'd want to see ALL stats of every unit (also enemy ones) on mouse over in a small dialog. It's also impossible to see which tiles are under attack of enemy units, including the tiles where they could move before firing. There are no terrain bonuses, so all the terrain turns out to be just decoration. On the other hand, there are many armor types, and each unit does different amount of damage vs different armor types - this I had trouble remembering and even looking up because the unit info dialog requires an extra click. Still, a good thing is that one can see right on the HP bars how much damage the attack will inflict. Overall, the game is nice and the graphics are excellent, and many things are well thought out. With some more work and GUI improvements it could be and excellent Battle Isle successor. Expand
  6. Dec 19, 2015
    If you played Battle Isle I and II, like Panzer General and even remember Historyline you will like this Game. Its no Blockbuster and has some flaws why I gave it a 7 and no 8 but Hey... this only means that there will be a much better next Version (Hopefully)

1. PC PowerPlay
    Feb 24, 2014
    A solid strategic base brought low by cheap AI and some shonky net code. [March 2014, p.56]
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Feb 13, 2014
    A model Kickstarter project, delivering exactly what it promised, on time. And on top of that, it is a fine, turn based strategy game in the classic mold to boot. Maybe even a bit too classic: more originality in design of the world and mechanics would have only improved things. AI does fine on the small scale tactics and punishes the player for the careless positioning of single units, but at the larger scale it feels like overwhelming numbers and scripting of the missions are what the player is fighting against. [Jan 2014]
  3. Jan 2, 2014
    Battle Worlds: Kronos is a tactical strategy game that borrows from classics such as Battle Isle and Panzer General. Missions take long and demand your complete devotion, which makes the game fun but slow at certain times.