8.3

1. Dec 29, 2010
    If you're considering giving it a shot you're way too late, the old crowd has all the old weapons, the experience, the map knowledge and the cowardice that makes them sprint for Vehicles, you will pretty much never be in a straight up fight and when you are more than likely you'll be ambushed and downed in seconds or the other way around.

Vehicles are also hilariously over powered,
    tracking flying opponents with stationary guns is difficult to say the least and they often have some magical ability to know the EXACT gun which has a lock on them. Tanks will easily gun you down, APCs blow you to hell, Jeeps and buggies will come out of no where.

Maps are so huge that often battles become rolls, one team will gain momentum and just wont stop or the defenders will not budge, one map in particular of the Americans having to do amphibious assualt against the chinese is pretty much impossible for the yanks as you cannot get to the shore there are too many emplacements and the reliance on slow APCs or boats makes you cannon fodder.

In conclusion, buggy, unbalanced, actual combat between people is always amazingly ungratifying, short and boring while maps can either be unbalanced rolls or too big for you to see anything. Oh and spawn camping.
  2. May 11, 2012
    Out of desire to play a Battlefield game before regenerating health plagued the series and simultaneously wanting something that would run well on my laptop, I decided to pick up this old gem. The install process is long and tedious, more so than it really should have been. Messing with options works nicely... except for control configuration. Rather than removing an old keybind when you choose to bind a key to a new function, it just tells you you can't bind it. A bit annoying, but doable... unless you want to bind left shift to anything, of course. No matter what, it tells you it's bound to something in helicopter controls (despite checking multiple times and seeing no such thing), so so much for my preferred crouch key.

Widescreen support out of the box is non-existent or poor, and the 1.5 patch doesn't do much to fix it. The third party Widescreen Fixer program is practically necessary for a reasonable FOV.

Another problem one is bound to run into is lack of server choice. This is to be expected in such an old game with many sequels released after it, but at this point it's not worth it at all to get anything more than the base game. Special Forces is completely empty aside from a few "server padding" bots (the sort that are in servers but don't spawn in or play, just sit there to inflate player count), and the other two expansions come free with patch 1.5. The remaining servers lack in variety, with very few non-"24/7 [map]" servers left, and unless you're lucky (unlike me) or have a group of friends to hop into servers with, you're likely to have a frustrating experience due to lack of players willing to go for the objectives and such. On a related note, many of the small number of servers left have rules that can be seen as ridiculous and unreasonable, so watch out for that.

The balance is definitely lacking in the game as well. Infantry weapon-wise, it seems alright aside from LMGs that aren't the RPK having horrendous accuracy no matter what and grenades being far too "spammy". Air vehicles are wholly unbalanced against anything else, as they have a fairly easy time dodging any anti-air fire and ONE missile fired from an applicable aircraft is enough to destroy even a tank in one hit, without anything capable of doing the same against the air vehicles. Gunner beware, a single machine gun bullet from any aircraft hitting anywhere on a land vehicle seems to be enough to kill you.

Relating to the last point, the accuracy of some of these pilots and chopper gunners is pretty questionable. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some aircraft aim-hack floating around that bypasses punkbuster seemingly flawlessly.

Overall, despite how underwhelming my skill (and luck) at the game is and bad experiences all around, I'm likely to reinstall and play it again at some point.
  3. Mar 19, 2012
    Dont buy it. It a great game sure .. IF you can play it. You gone wast time and get super Pissed off with all the punkbuster failing, connection problems, cd key gone missing. Maybe you get lucky and every thing works fine at first but there will be a moment is gone fail on you, its just a mater of when.
  4. Jan 7, 2013
    Battlefield 2 is a good game,very fun with mods,is a awesome war game,but there it's just unplayable,the gun spread goes everywhere,units in the game could survive about 15+ G36C (or what gun is it) without getting a single hitmarker. Unplayable,do not buy
  5. Aug 1, 2014
    Okay first up, I hate most first person shooters (all 'realistic' Military ones). So if you are a FPS fanboy I understand that you don't agree and that's fine. Saying this, I bought this game because it was $4.99 on steam and it got good reviews.

What happens when you get shot? You become incapacitated that is correct. And in all of these games (ie. Call of Pooty), you shoot the guy
    like fiddyelebin times and they do not die. And see, these games are supposed to be a realistic simulation of real life combat in the Military and they are not because when you get shot with an assault rifle, most of the time it is probably very hard to shoot back.

For example, I shot this guy in the back of the head and right shoulder like 3-4 times and he was still in a crouched position and that is not realistic at all. I really can't stand people who actually play deathmatch and think it's fun because it's the same thing over and over and there is no real excitement at all in doing the same thing over and over unless you are a small child. Capture the flag on the other hand is alot more fun and if the game was actually realistic (ie. you get shot in the head/chest you do die/become severely injured), I would have given the game a higher score.

I would review Call Of Pooty but I will never buy that game because I really despise all the blonde mothers who always walk into GameStop and drop 60 dollars every year on the same game for their kid.

Once you strap into an F/A-18 and rocket over the landscape, once you're crouched next to a tank trying valiantly to repair it while bullets ping off of the armor inches above your head, once you defend a waypoint and ask for new orders from your commander over the radio, all of those nitpicks about map balance or sniper power fade.
  2. With incredible communication tools, top-notch visuals, and a fantastic balance of vehicles and classes, EA has won the battle and the war of online team-based shooters.
    The thing to remember about Battlefield 2 is that it's exceptionally fun.