8.3

1. Jul 22, 2011
    Simply the best online competitive FPS experience I've ever had. I recommend this game (now hopefully BF3) to competitive gamers who can work as a team and who utilize voice communications.

Here's hoping BF3 will be just as spectacular.
  2. Mar 8, 2011
    A 6 year old game and still the servers are full. How many others can claim as much? The latest 1.5 patch adds all the expansions to the basic install (except the special forces addon), plus enhanced vista/windows 7 support. Tons of player made expansions and mods, including the 128 player WW2 battles of "Forgotten Hope 2". Some tricks required to get it working under windows 7: Run as Administrator and Disable screen composition in the short cut. Brilliant stuff! Anyone who complains about lag or stuttering is playing on a seriously underpowered PC or has a very bad internet connection. Many laptops were not made for FPS, people! Expand
  3. Jan 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. have loved this game and still love it! the only thing i love more
    have loved this game and still love it! the only thing i love more
    have loved this game and still love it! the only thing i love more
  4. Jul 19, 2012
    Battlefield 2 is one of those rare games that only comes along every now and then. Some players may be put of by environments being smaller than those in previous entries to the series, but from the start of the mach until the score readout, Battlefield is one journey you don't want to miss.
    With no campaign to play through, Battlefield can sometimes feel like a game that was not
    completely finished. This is counteracted though by beautiful and well designed environments, all of which have had an amazing level of detail that just wont be found anywhere else. Maps vary from small, tropic covered war zones, to large, open ended dessert battlefields, all of which are a breeze to get around thanks to a number of widely appreciated vehicles. You can step into the helm of a helicopter or jet and tear up the skies, causing endless waves of destruction on the enemies underneath you, or sit behind the controls of a tank, or the wheel of a car. Battlefields huge environments are the factor that brings the game home.
    Whats a war game without Action? When you select a map for an online battle or a single player experience, you can choose from a list of well designed classes, all imperative to the success of your team. You can be an engineer, repairing vehicles and turning the tide in battle as a result, or a heavy weapons operative, sporting an explosive firing missile launcher that can stop the enemy driving into your base with a tank. No matter what your choice is, there's a class for everyone, and everyone feels like the team relies on them as much as anyone else.
    Battlefield 2 and all of it's added content deserves a solid 9.5 out of 10.
  5. Nov 13, 2012
    BEST of all time!!!! Still blows the new FPS genre out of the water. And ported version to PS3 is not garbage but the control on KB/Mouse could not be matched. I miss playing this game with my friends. Those were the days.
  6. Dec 11, 2011
    This game was a jaw dropping improvement over it's predecessor, battlefield 1942. Voice chat, squad management and commander role really aided the teamwork flow of this game. It's a classic hands down.
  7. Nov 22, 2010
    I have played this game for about 2 years. This is in my favorite online multiplayer out there for an FPS. I strongly recommend this game to anyone, as it has so much replay value and is only $9.99, which is ridiculous for the quality, it's bar none the best deal I've ever gotten on a game. This game is also far better than Battlefield: Bad Company 2 if you're wondering, they numbed it down in every way; simply put, Battlefield 2 has more EVERYTHING. Besides how big of a fanboy I am, this game has a lot of stupid flaws, but is much better if you get the project reality mod. These flaws are mostly hit detection issues, which are ridiculous, and overall hinder my overall score, but 9.5 rounds up to 10 :) Expand
  8. Nov 19, 2011
    This is the best online FPS ever made, I am not kidding. This is the BEST battlefield. And dont let anyone else tell you otherwise. I just wish they couldve re made it in BF3 without all the consolization garbage that has infected the entire market.
  9. Jun 18, 2011
    An amazingly fun game even this far ahead of its release date. The huge wars fought on the huge battlefields is truly something most FPS' need to this date. The balance of the weapons and the large class selection will make this game enjoyable for hours on end. The vehicle battles, be it aviator or ground(F-35Bs or T-90s) keep this game epic. There are a few issues though like a weird mouse glitch and some lag although lag is expected with 64 people in one game. Highly recommend this game. One of my all time favorites! Expand
  10. Feb 24, 2011
    can some one help me on starting the game every time i start the game it goes to black screen then does not respond does any one know how to fix this i really want to start playing
  11. Mar 6, 2013
    I played this game for years before finding BF2: Project Reality mod. Now I play that. BF2 is a great game with well polished gameplay. The only issue I have with both games is when teams are stacked with good players on one side. This makes it really hard to try to "carry" the team, and is rather stressful. With better autobalance, this game would be a 10/10, best FPS I played, and I tried a lot of them. Expand
  12. Aug 24, 2011
    One of the classics of FPS games. Given that the Battlefield series has won "Game of the Year" awards from many different sources. I would describe the game as an amazing idea that has been implemented quite well, though there are some major problems with the game however. one is the very erratic accuracy of weapons in the game, and another is hit detection due to lag, and the final problem is the horribly put together menu and the engine in general. the menu system is just not put together well and the engine tends to both be finicky and somewhat buggy, for example, every time you start up the game, your resolution will be forced to a certain setting, which messes up window sizes on your desktop, but thats just a minor detail, just a pet peeve of mine i guess. Though with the menu system, the main problem Ive gotten irked at is the fact that the ESC button brings up the main menu from battle, which is a pain since if you accidentally open it up, you will have to wait a good 5-10 seconds to be able to close it and get back to the game... i never understood why they made it like that. As to the actual gameplay, its very addictive and very fun, especially when you get a team that is both at least moderately skilled, and can pay attention to the flow of battle. Teamwork wins games. The thing about BF games, especially 2 and 2142, is that they take a long time to get accustomed to. I picked up this game after not playing it for a good 5 years or so, and I was so rusty that my skills were almost non-existent. I would say to new players: "This game takes a lot of getting used to, I would say it takes at least 10-20 hours of playing to get the basics down, and its a continual process of learning how to deal with different situations and using your gear effectively. Its not about being a hero, its about working as a team to beat the enemy. If you try to play BF like CoD, you will be severely disappointed in your performance, as we seasoned players will pick you off easily since you stand out so much." By far BF2 is better than CoD when it comes to the sheer addictiveness and fun of the multiplayer, theres just this level of awesome when 64 players clash with military hardware. Expand
  13. Sep 13, 2011
    Everything that reminds me of why I love video games! BF2 takes me back to a time where everything was sprinkled with golden dust.
    I am currently warming up with this game until the BF3 release.
    Check out the BF2 project reality mod, if you're into even more realistic warfare!
  14. Nov 12, 2011
    Great game with endless actions. I have been playing this game for countless hours. This game is very addicting. You can use modified mods and maps to add even more exciting gameplay experience. Though the graphics are a bit old now, but the gameplay is the best in the series.
  15. Dec 28, 2011
    I personally love this game. There is no experience like shooting down an enemy as he tries to assult your base, or the sense of loyalty and duty to you squad after the heal you, help you capture a base or defend you as you drive a vehicle. It is one of the greatest tactical shooters I've ever played and exceeds the standards of it's genre.
  16. Jan 3, 2012
    Truly one of the greats. If you call yourself a PC gamer, you must play this game. CoD or MoH fanboy, it doesn't matter. This is one of the pinnacles of PC gaming warfare. Disregard single player. It doesn't exist. This game is meant to be played on a 4km-squared map with 64 players and a whole lotta planes, guns, automobiles, and enemy boats to be spotted. A respectable mix between individual combat (with just a little balance missing on that part), vehicle warfare, and massive strategy set in a surprisingly accurate conflict that (sit down for this) doesn't involve Russians*! Disregard price and dated graphics, you must have this experience. *Outside of Special Forces expansion pack Expand
  17. Mar 9, 2012
    One of the best shooters, great scale, great graphics, great gameplay and even better great multiplayer!
    And also the addition of mods does make this game to be close to perfection, total modifications such as Project Reality, Forgotten Hope 2 (my favorite mod and WW2 game), Point of Existence 2 and Operation PeaceKeeper add tons of fun.
  18. Mar 12, 2013
    Best part of battlefield series. Online battle are really well, both conquest with vehicle and infantry. The game is really fun when you gather a people and play together. Clan wars in this game work well. GJ Dice
  19. Mar 8, 2013
    Battlefield 2 has one of the best multiplayer experiences of all games. It has a ton of fun within it to make it truly great. It can be frustrating, but everything from driving a little Jeep to doing gun warfare, this game is absolutely amazing. My only discrepancy is that there is a total lack of a singleplayer campaign. This game may have an amazing multiplayer, but I wish that there was a singleplayer campaign as well. Expand
  20. Apr 25, 2011
    My all-time favorite game, I played this for 5 years until Bad Company 2 came out, and BC2 is a great game, but it's really there for me to hold me over until Battlefield 3 arrives later in 2011. Probably the best teamwork game there is, and gives me the same feeling I had in my younger days playing organized team sports. Commander mode was awesome and let's hope it is in Battlefield 3. "You are the worst squad I have ever set eyes on." "My grandma could do better!" Expand
  21. Oct 16, 2013
    The original massive battle arena. I spent huge amounts of hours in this game and am glad i did. Tons of fun.Online shooters don't come much better than this old gem.
  22. Mar 5, 2014
    Still the war-FPS that all others should be compared to. BF3 and 4 were console ports, and aimed for bad players with the no-recoil and tons of crutch weapons. Those are war arcade shooters. BF2 is a squad based tactical war-FPS. I miss this game, best FPS ever made.
  23. Aug 18, 2013
    Best game ever made. The netcode is the best and the hit registration is perfect. The maps are all big and well designed. The classes are a lot and well balanced. The infantry gameplay require a lot of skill but it's very satisfying. There are also a lot of good mods. Definitely a must have!
  24. Apr 16, 2013
    My favourite game of all time. Forever and always. It has the most content out of all of the Battlefield series and it's definitely the most fun. With over 30 maps with 3 variations each (90 maps, technically) and hundreds of weapons, vehicles, players and mods you really can't find a better pseudo-realistic war game than this one. I think this was the only game I've ever played to really balance realistic and not realistic perfectly, it has a realistic chain of command and getting medals and promotions, as well as slightly realistic physics, but you can also get into a car and drive up an exploding ramp and then jump out the side and parachute to safety.

The game definitely feels the best out of all of the Battlefield games. As soon as you boot it up you just feel like you have complete control over everything, and you feel like it's your fault that your dying when you do die because of how good the controls are.

As said before, there are loads of vehicles, and most maps have an aircraft carrier for the USMC. The Aircraft Carrier always has helicopters and jets on it, but this isn't like Battlefield 3 where every jet and helicopter are almost exactly the same, these jets have strengths and weaknesses.

Say there was a two seater jet that could drop 15 bombs and had 4 miniguns, it would fly very slowly and wouldn't be very agile.

Say there was a one seater jet with no bombs and like 2 machine guns, it would fly very quickly and would be extremely agile.

Lots of people all around the world still play this game all the time, but sadly, the modding community kinda died out.

But, that doesn't mean you can't play these mods, because this game has bots, and the bots in this game are very smart.

If you play vanilla Battlefield 2 you will be greeted to a screen that tells you that you can only have 16 bots on each map, that's fine, you need to get BF2ALL64.

This mod allows you to play BF2 with 64 bots in 64 player maps in co-op and single player. It's great

But definitely, the most popular mod is Project Reality.

Project Reality is pretty much ARMA in the Battlefield 2 engine with Bad Company's destruction, and it is amazing.

It's a super realistic, slow-paced war shooter that is incredibly intense. I would highly recommend if you have patience, because the matches run very slowly.

AIX is my personal favorite mod out of all of them. What it does is make the bots smarter and add everything from the expansions into the full game, and it also adds heaps of new stuff, such as miniguns and new maps (Archipalago is amazing, you have to play it on AIX) that you can play in co-op or single player.

Also, don't listen to what LordLeckie said, the vanilla weapons are definitely the strongest. They didn't go overboard with the unlock thing, which is another good thing.

Overall, this game is my favorite game of all time and you will probably have a blast playing this, but don't put your expectations too high or you might be disappointed. I'm just really passionate about this game.
  25. Jul 24, 2013
    one of the better fps'. Got really into it when i got it and i still play i from time to time. You can purchase replica airsoft guns from the game here: http://www.airsplat.com/battlefield-2.htm
  26. Aug 1, 2013
    I don`t know how often I heard the loading screen of the MEC and USA but it never gets ols. Good gameplay and it is a grat game. Bf3 did not have the same feeling as in Bf2 but it is still pretty good.
  27. Jul 12, 2014
    Battlefield 2. My friends at school all really love one of two series: Battlefield or Call of Duty. What really ticks me off about it is that the popular kids all really like Call of Duty, which I consider terrible, and the unpopular kids really like Battlefield. It just goes to show you that these two franchises are at war with each other, and it has had really dire side effects on the world at large. I however, have chosen not to take a side in this war. I've only played the best games of these two franchises and that was it. I have already reviewed Call of Duty 4, which I thought was one of the worst games I've ever played. Now I'm reviewing the best Battlefield game, Battlefield 2. So, is this series really better than Call of Duty in every way, or do all modern warfare shooters totally suck after all? Let's find out. This game is an absolute blast to play! It is an online shooter with massive battlefields to fight on, and massive armies to fight with. This game really captures what it's like to be a member of the army and fight on huge battlefields. This game has only one gameplay mode, but because every map is so huge, when the game starts to feel old, other maps make it feel new again. This gameplay mode is conquest. In conquest, the two armies must fight to take control of the entire map, by taking over all of the control points. There is also a reinforcement counter, which shows how many more units on an army can spawn on the battlefield. Once one team controls more control points than the other, the other team starts losing reinforcements. The first team to take control of all of the control points, or get rid of all of the opposing team's reinforcements (this can also be done by simply killing the enemy as opposed to taking control points) wins. This game also emphasizes teamwork quite a bit. It is highly recommended that you get in a squad as early as possible. Also, if you are getting bored of going on foot to fight, or you have to take a long walk to an enemy control point, don't worry about it. There are also several vehicles to drive such as buggys, tanks, fighter jets, and even boats. This game also controls like your average shooter, so you don't have much to worry about in the controls department. In fact, this game is so fun, that the only real problem I have with it other than having only one game mode is that the jets and helicopters are really hard to fly. I found it insanely difficult to fly both air vehicles. However, it just goes to show you that this game has a good learning curve. The AI of this game can also be a challenge, which makes the game much more interesting. They do have a few problems here and there, but nothing major such as just sitting there doing nothing. Overall, no matter how you want to play this game, it will be fun no matter what. As for the graphics, while they may not be as good as Half-Life 2, which came out a year before this, they are still great graphics for their time. Everything in this game is very well detailed, looks the way it should, and perfectly replicates this game's modern warfare setting. It has settings in the United States of America, China, and the Middle East. All of these settings look about how you would expect in a modern day setting. The buildings, vehicles, and character models all look quite good. The only real problem that exists with the graphics is that despite how good they look, they might be a bit dated. Overall, the graphics of this game are great, if a bit dated. As for the presentation, it's great too. The menus can be a bit confusing sometimes, and the tutorials can be a bit confusing, but that's about it. Otherwise, this game has all of the modern military forces you would expect. Of course the U.S. Army is in this game, along with the Chinese, European Union, and Mecca armies. This game definitely presents itself as an excellent multiplayer shooter, and it succeeds in that respect. Overall, this game is a fantastic multiplayer shooter. It has everything good you would come to expect from a multiplayer shooter and more. The battles may be long, but that's just how they should be. In the end, I haven't chosen a side in the war between Call of Duty and Battlefield, but if I did, I would definitely choose Battlefield.
    Gameplay: 9/10
    Graphics: 9/10
    Presentation: 8/10
    Overall: 9/10
  28. Apr 5, 2014
    The Maps are awesome, the weapons are awesome, the Engine for that release year is still good and everything else is awesome! Now you got BF4 and all this new stuff, but if you imagine, how BF2 was like BF4 back then. I prefer BF2 over the other ones, even if i only bought it last year. Still there are active people playing and new people too! Its just sad, that no one plays the Special Forces DLC. Its a good DLC in my opinion, but the people care about the main game and the DLCs, that are build into the game, and not have to be started over the main game.

This game is also moddable and has awesome mods like FORGOTTEN HOPE 2 and PROJECT REALITY with servers and players!
  29. Apr 11, 2014
  30. Apr 16, 2014
    This game is a Masterpiece !!!! Is the best game in the series with great big maps, balance cases and guns with recoil :) This and 1942 are the diamante of DICE.
  31. May 12, 2014
    I miss the days before all this modern-aged shooters like Call of Duty:Puppies and Bugfield 4...I am still playing this game with my cousin and a bunch of friends and it is fun.If you have never play it,give it a shot!

Once you strap into an F/A-18 and rocket over the landscape, once you're crouched next to a tank trying valiantly to repair it while bullets ping off of the armor inches above your head, once you defend a waypoint and ask for new orders from your commander over the radio, all of those nitpicks about map balance or sniper power fade.
  2. With incredible communication tools, top-notch visuals, and a fantastic balance of vehicles and classes, EA has won the battle and the war of online team-based shooters.
    The thing to remember about Battlefield 2 is that it's exceptionally fun.