6.9

1. Jun 14, 2012
    Anyone hoping for more maps akin to Metro, Seine, or Bazaar, like I was, will be sorely disappointed by Close Quarters. I don't think trailers and gameplay videos really convey just how hectic these maps are. Small maps combined with tight spaces, random spawns, and fast-capping flags make for sheer chaos. Some may enjoy that in their shooter experience, but unfortunately I'm not one of those people. I love Battlefield because it allows for a degree of teamwork and tactical play. Here, however, all that's been done away with. Close Quarters' Conquest Domination mode is mostly about running and gunning and racking up kills. It's a glorified deathmatch with capture points. If that's your cup of tea, your mileage will vary accordingly. If, however, you're easily bored of that kind of gameplay, it's little more than a diversion, fun perhaps for a round or two after which you'll find yourself craving the slower, more deliberate pace of classic BF3 maps. The Gun Master mode is, again, fun on occasion, but tiresome before long. Both seem to cater to the CoD crowd, perhaps aiming for broader appeal. Sadly, to me at least it seems antithetical to past Battlefield experiences. Expand
  2. Jun 12, 2012
    I already tried to think positive about this DLC and completely ignored the dubstep music in the trailers, but I should have listened to my gut and follow my intuitions. See for yourself if these few maps and assignments will make you entertain you for a while. They certainly didn't entertain me. Bottom line: Skip this DLC, wait for quality.
  3. Jul 7, 2012
    Since it was essentially free I accept the offering of Close Quarters. But it is so definitely very not representative of the experience which is attracting me to Battlefield games over all the competition.

CQ exists to placate the broader audience EA aimed to draw with crappy maps like Operation Metro. Not that these maps are necessarily also crappy, but they're also very restrictive
    in the type of gameplay you can extract from them. The entire point of Battlefield as far as I'm concerned is the dynamic gameplay created by players having plenty of various tools, weapons, vehicles etc. to choose from, and map designs which accommodate for it.

Operation Metro is basically the anti-thesis of Battlefield in that regard. Close Quarters maps aren't literally a tunnel, but they suffer from a similar repressive design conceit. There is only hectic close quarters run n gunning type gameplay. That's the entire point of this themed expansion pack
  4. Dec 18, 2012
    EA and DICE are called "пидорасы" at Russia after release of BF3 and it's model of distribution that means that they are betrayers. A lot of people excepted for a tactics-main thing that made BF important for our hearts. But now when you buying a BF3 (and especially Close Quarters) it means "Welcome to Call of Duty".

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Battlefield goes Call of Duty and does it actually pretty well! [Aug 2012]
  2. Aug 8, 2012
    It's worth buying if you're sick of getting shot by premium players' overpowered new weapons on regular servers and want to equip the new arsenal yourself, but Battlefield 3's hectic fighting fails at CoD's smaller scale. [Oct 2012, p.71]
  3. Jul 6, 2012
    If you love with Battlefield's team deathmatch mode, you must get this DLC. [August 2012, p.76]