Battlefield 3 PC

7.5

1. Jul 7, 2012
    This is a perfect example of a good franchise made casual. I was a big fan of the battlefield series. starting from battlefield 1942. It is clear EA has a tight grip on DICE. A month after release I might had given this a 8/10. Fanboyism makes blind. But after a while I started realizing they have made the franchise utter sh*t by simplifying the game they obviously attracted a new userThis is a perfect example of a good franchise made casual. I was a big fan of the battlefield series. starting from battlefield 1942. It is clear EA has a tight grip on DICE. A month after release I might had given this a 8/10. Fanboyism makes blind. But after a while I started realizing they have made the franchise utter sh*t by simplifying the game they obviously attracted a new user base. and by that I mean a bunch of casual COD kiddies. This doesn't Make anything better. I DICE even still had some of it's PC fanbase after battlefield: Bad Company. they have certainly lost it now. Also with EA's glorious DLC plan they have certainly stept in COD's footsteps. $15 for a couple of maps. With BC2 vietnam DLC they actually gave us a whole new experience. But the (upcomming) DLC's from BF3 are just ridiculous... It could have been in the original game. But no the allmighty EA had decided otherwise. DICE has literally sold their soul to EA. Lastly the Premium. as if the franchise hadn't copied enough of COD allready, EA wanted their own "Elite" service. It contains all the DLC that's going to be available, Ok that's pretty nice. But then they also have queue jumping. premiums get priority in queues over non premiums. So many knives in our backs, I can't keep track of it. I've literally waited a half hour in a queue to get on my favorite server because I got pushed back the whole time by premiums. This is just so mean to everybody who bought the game. And wait there is more! double xp weeks!! (have I said casual allready?) . everything that Battlefield once was, is now lost. the franchise might have 2 more succesfull titles with their new fanbase. But then it's over. EA will throw DICE in the garbage bin, just like they did with Pandemic. Expand
  2. Feb 20, 2012
    The player drop off on this game is saying something. I hadn't played in a month until today. EA sent out a questionnaire asking people why they quit playing.

Their questions didn't have the option for 1. The game wasn't what I expected 2. Lack of communication with the player community and patches to fix bugs 3. Bad netcode. Instead, they had 1. The game is too easy 2. The game is

Their questions didn't have the option for

1. The game wasn't what I expected
    2. Lack of communication with the player community and patches to fix bugs
    3. Bad netcode.

Instead, they had

1. The game is too easy
    2. The game is too hard
    3. I want more DLC

Based on the upcoming patch, I think most people selected #2. Watering the game down more.

I expected so much out of this game, but it ended up being a conglomeration of BF2, BC2, COD and MOH that didn't "NAIL IT" on anything except a great running graphics engine and the greatest number of promises not delivered in any game I have ever bought.

As for netcode, most modern games use a hybrid server/client hit detection model that works quite well. There are even free to play games that have better net code than BF3, which is just appalling. Previous BF games were bad because they were server side only - with clients only having the option to increase or lower interpolation. With pure client-side netcode, you get seemingly random deaths, opponents that die extremely slowly, and all kinds of other annoying frustrations.

I've waited for months for those patches to come, but I've realized some of them never will. They'll never update the net code to a better model. They'll never increase the destruction to make certain maps like Bazaar and Metro more fun and less explosive spammy. They'll never add in-game voice (another thing common in many F2P games from small companies) And they'll never address another greater issue with the heart of the game - the vehicles are lackluster in implementation and integration into the balance of the game. They'll feel like an afterthought that was just thrown in haphazardly. They made an infantry fighting game out of a large-scale war game. And even that is poor because of the bad netcode.

Sure, some bug fixes have come along.. They fixed the bugs that were in the beta that they said were already fixed for the game launch. Like the laggy servers, falling through the world on metro, gadgets flat out not working...

But it's really just been one huge let down. I can't say I'll be buying BF4 or BC3 or anything. I've learned my lesson that PR likes to make false promises and do anything to drum up hype. They flat out lie sometimes. I just don't know what to expect when I buy a game from EA. There's no assurance of quality. They don't realize that many are already boycotting them. I wouldn't say I'm boycotting them, it's more like someone who has burned their hand on a hot stove being cautious about touching it again.
  3. Nov 1, 2011
    I signed on to Metacritic only to rate BF3 because I feel so violated by both EA and Dice - by their sheer ignorance and hostility towards a paying customer. If you value your time (endless list of technical problems starting from Origin to Battlelog to the PC port itself), privacy (multiple shady EULAs and file scanning) or simply want to enjoy good games built by honest and respectfulI signed on to Metacritic only to rate BF3 because I feel so violated by both EA and Dice - by their sheer ignorance and hostility towards a paying customer. If you value your time (endless list of technical problems starting from Origin to Battlelog to the PC port itself), privacy (multiple shady EULAs and file scanning) or simply want to enjoy good games built by honest and respectful developers - do not spend your money on Battlefield 3. Expand
  4. Oct 25, 2011
    If you were expecting a classic great menu system for the game good luck because there isn't one and the real disappointing thing about BF3 is you are forced to run the game through EA's Origin - Not standalone and not through STEAM - EA really dropped the ball on forcing all of its customers to run this through a beta version of a E-Game hosting service... Not to mention the menu-systemIf you were expecting a classic great menu system for the game good luck because there isn't one and the real disappointing thing about BF3 is you are forced to run the game through EA's Origin - Not standalone and not through STEAM - EA really dropped the ball on forcing all of its customers to run this through a beta version of a E-Game hosting service... Not to mention the menu-system for the game is all based online which makes you feel like you really got ripped off because it looks cheap trust me the only thing nice about it is Battlelog which is kinda cool but it's EA's way of saying here run Origin or Don't play the game.

This is an OK game as it sits for the time being but yet it deserves a 40% rating due to several issues right now - First being that EA has released a game that has many graphical, gameplay, multiplayer, map, vehicle issues for instance green-flickers and being able to glitch through maps on multiplayer its nowhere near as smooth as it was shown in the previews that im sure everyone has seen. Granted it is a new game but the vehicle issues and the unrealistic nature of Battlefield 3 due to vehicles not producing realistic amounts of destruction and damage really hurt this titles reputation.

To best describe Battlefield 3 would be a cross between Homefront and Modern Warfare 2 - Homefront being due to the graphical and sketchy gameplay and Modern Warfare 2 due to BF3 trying to cut in on some profits from MW3 which currently sits at a total loss to people who have bought this game (and yes I bought the limited edition BF3). I bought 2x EVGA GTX-580 SC cards specifically for this game and yet the texture draws and polished look this game should have isn't there and not to mention the annoying lag on multiplayer games that are supposedly low-ping.

It has potential to be an awesome game but as it sits currently I wouldn't invest in it until it at least drops $20-30 or they fix hundreds of bugs and errors. Well that's all I have to say hope you found this somewhat useful.
  5. Nov 3, 2011
    Battlefield 3 looks great and the infantry combat is solid, but it lacks key gameplay elements that set the franchise apart and contributed to its success.

Gone are the huge, wide-open maps and replaced with more condensed combat zones. It's clear that the hardware restrictions of consoles have stunted map size of BF3, despite the PC being the "lead platform". BF3 will be loved by

BF3 will be loved by player who enjoy chaotic infantry combat with non-stop hail of gunfire, but disappoint those who enjoyed the aircraft and enormous maps of BF1942 and BF2.
  6. Oct 27, 2011
    a checkmark next to everything fps communites have not asked for, including the BF community and not all maps are avail. for 60+ usd. EA's stock price is more important than you and they have shown it with this "game".
  7. Oct 26, 2011
    I might give the game another chance some day if it ever goes on steam, but the fact you HAVE to use EA's Origin is simply not worth it, I've had nothing but bad experiences with it since its launch day, how are EA doing digital distribution so wrong? I'd give the game a 6 or 7 out of 10 if it didn't require Origin, being honest I think the game is over-hyped and is an incredibly average shooter.
  8. sYs
    Oct 27, 2011
    The actually vote for the game would be 4 . I brought the game and played SP, ok it was dull - lake any other shooter story and bla bla. The multiplayer - seems little bit to chaotic. Lack of server browser and so on. biggest downfall was the "ORIGIN" - the game gets 1 from me purely cause "origin" violates almost all my privacy.
  9. Oct 30, 2011
    What an utterly disappointing campaign. Total rip off of CoD, and after that huge marketing campaign to lead us to believe that it would be awesome. Take the plane mission for example - it looks fantastic, I've got a GTX570 and settings on high+, but the gameplay? Push either 1, 2, 3 or x when told to and that's it. It's like a smartphone app for toddlers. The whole thing is an utterWhat an utterly disappointing campaign. Total rip off of CoD, and after that huge marketing campaign to lead us to believe that it would be awesome. Take the plane mission for example - it looks fantastic, I've got a GTX570 and settings on high+, but the gameplay? Push either 1, 2, 3 or x when told to and that's it. It's like a smartphone app for toddlers. The whole thing is an utter embarrassment for Dice. In the word of Jonny Rotten: "Every get the feeling you've been cheated?" Expand
  10. Oct 26, 2011
    EA ruined another great franchise. I hope they go bankrupt ASAP. After they trolled Activision so hard... they release this unfinished game. The singleplayer is so lame, you have no idea. The multiplayer has more bugs than the open-beta phase.

No squads, origin stupid system, battlelog instead of an in-game menu, lag, bugs and stupid design decisions have ruined this game. :(

I miss BF2
  11. Oct 26, 2011
    Poor game and not anything like BF2, on PC it's a console port in gameplay terms, no in game ping, no in game VOIP, crap aircraft mechanics, crap squad management where you can't create a squad without going through some **** commo-rose is a joke, maps are a joke with clustered flags, it's like playing COD on a big map. Aircraft/ vehicle controls are shockingly bad and feel like they justPoor game and not anything like BF2, on PC it's a console port in gameplay terms, no in game ping, no in game VOIP, crap aircraft mechanics, crap squad management where you can't create a squad without going through some **** commo-rose is a joke, maps are a joke with clustered flags, it's like playing COD on a big map. Aircraft/ vehicle controls are shockingly bad and feel like they just imported the xbox 360 system. On top of that there are way to many bugs to list, poor hit reg because of the broken ass netcode that lets cheats rule the server because of the client side hit detection. In summary BF3 is nothing more than Bad Company 2.5 but not as fun as even BC2 and not a patch on BF2. Fans of BF2/2142 stay away, find something enjoyable to play, leave this **** to the COD generation, those that appreciate teamplay and proper vehicle combat on proper big maps will have to look elsewhere. Expand
  12. Oct 26, 2011
    Just a below average shooter. Yes it's very pretty, but the graphics add nothing to the gameplay (and in some cases actually get in the way). Gunplay simply isn't visceral or fun, detached is a term I'd associate with it. Single player is a travesty, there's no flow you just wait all the time for your squad to catch up (and for you to find the exact right place to stand to trigger theJust a below average shooter. Yes it's very pretty, but the graphics add nothing to the gameplay (and in some cases actually get in the way). Gunplay simply isn't visceral or fun, detached is a term I'd associate with it. Single player is a travesty, there's no flow you just wait all the time for your squad to catch up (and for you to find the exact right place to stand to trigger the script) and the next quicktime event to take place. Coop is just a very generic horde-rush/nazi zombie like mode. MP is simply dull, generic and not much fun. Maps are either chokepoint based or desolate empty spaces designed for vehicle only gameplay (even the sniper rifles have been gimped). It's the very definition of all polish and no substance. And that's before you get into the hell hole of the Origin/Battlelog/additional VOIP client system, slow loading times, annoying "music". Not worth buying, massively overhyped in the press. Save your money, send a message to EA and don't buy this (also bug ridden) rubbish. I'm giving it 1 for the graphics at least. Expand
  13. Oct 26, 2011
    This game is sadly very terrible, despite all the hype it had been receiving. The campaign is short and unsatisfying, but then, the campaign have never been an important part of Battlefield. This might have been okay if the multiplayer was any good. The multiplayer is unbalanced and already there are several hacks for the PC version. Before unlocking flares or missiles, your jet has to beThis game is sadly very terrible, despite all the hype it had been receiving. The campaign is short and unsatisfying, but then, the campaign have never been an important part of Battlefield. This might have been okay if the multiplayer was any good. The multiplayer is unbalanced and already there are several hacks for the PC version. Before unlocking flares or missiles, your jet has to be shot down again and again. Defenders in Rush have a massive advantage. UMP overpowered still. In close-quarters snipers are also overpowered. RPGs also OP. Massive glitches and server problems despite beta testing. The destruction was barely improved. Graphics difference from BC2 was about from Halo 3 to ODST. It felt like the game could have been like Vietnam (an expansion pack for BC2), had it not have had a single player and co-op. The teamwork is horrible. I'm not sure if it is right to blame DICE, though, because teamwork is based on the players instead of the game. The developer can only encourage/discourage it. And I feel like it was discouraged (from BC2 anyway). Battlelog a massive annoyance. It has many problems (for example half the time I can't even join a game). The game crashes/freezes once in 15 minutes. Be advised that I have an all-purpose entertainment computer that should be able to run the game without any problems according to the minimum requirements. Being a Battlefield fan all the way back from 1942, I am massively disappointed. Expand
  14. Oct 28, 2011
    This game has a lot of potential, but it feels like it was rushed and the network code is terrible, even with super low latency and minimal packet loss you tend to experience glitches throughout the game.
  15. Oct 26, 2011
    This is not a true sequel to bf2 at all

Lack of teamwork Small map Squad management broken Common rose is garbage and broken No VoIP Battle log is **** Origin is **** Vehicles were underpowered Jets are slow and always die by stingers Stingers weapon is overpowered and stupid Motar is overpowered and seriously ???? Unlimited weapons Horrible net code Scope glint Contrast are way to
    This is not a true sequel to bf2 at all

Lack of teamwork
    Small map
    Squad management broken
    Common rose is garbage and broken
    No VoIP Battle log is ****
    Origin is ****
    Vehicles were underpowered
    Jets are slow and always die by stingers
    Stingers weapon is overpowered and stupid
    Motar is overpowered and seriously ???? Unlimited weapons
    Horrible net code Scope glint
    Contrast are way to high....

Horrible game and should not name "battlefield 3" because it's not a true sequel to bf2

Largest map my ass...
  16. Oct 26, 2011
    Lets just begin by stating that i joined metacritic just for this review. I have been waiting for this game for awhile and have been stoked just to play it. After playing the beta, i was severly disappointed. The glitches galoore made it insane and more frustrating then fun to play. I figured since it was a beta they would fix it, well they did fix some of the beta glitches, just not nearLets just begin by stating that i joined metacritic just for this review. I have been waiting for this game for awhile and have been stoked just to play it. After playing the beta, i was severly disappointed. The glitches galoore made it insane and more frustrating then fun to play. I figured since it was a beta they would fix it, well they did fix some of the beta glitches, just not near enough for a final copy. The multiplayer feels rushed at best and hardly seems to work. The game is fun when its not glitching and the servers aren't crashing (which happen about every hour for the xbox). I give this game such a low rating because of the hype and expectations that the critics and trailers it gave, it hardly lives up to expectations. I love battlefield more then call of duty, but i will definently be picking up CoD now and probably tossing this game off until they fix the issues, which with EA's poor community service skills, will take quite awhile. Expand
  17. Oct 28, 2011
    1.origin,spying,scanning you pc and not even working,yes steam does the same but at least it works
    2.nehhative mouse acceleration,cant bind some jeys,no difrent sensitivity for vehicles,keyborad left key problems etc.
    3.pathetic visual effects that will damage your eyes and give you a headache blinding lights,glare,bloom,high contrast,blue filter,headbob and other constant screen shakes
    3.pathetic visual effects that will damage your eyes and give you a headache
    4.pathetic sounds,sniper sounds like a toy gun and it has that damage also
    ugly guns and animations
    5.they cut a part of the game and then sell it as an expansion
    crashing,bad optimization,lag and a ton of other problems
  18. Oct 25, 2011
    This is not a Battlefield game. This is COD on a nicer engine, with better maps. If you like COD, you'll love this, but all die hard BF fans will get bored quickly as the lack of gameplay and focus on personal gain and unlocks clowds your vision.
  19. Oct 31, 2011
    My biggest problem with the game is that the map design is really bad, it's obvious none of the maps were designed for 64 players, because every map packs players into a tiny area with 3-5 capture points and then funnels every player through unavoidable chokepoints filled with snipers and tanks and men running around with knives. They've removed all the tactical gameplay that madeMy biggest problem with the game is that the map design is really bad, it's obvious none of the maps were designed for 64 players, because every map packs players into a tiny area with 3-5 capture points and then funnels every player through unavoidable chokepoints filled with snipers and tanks and men running around with knives. They've removed all the tactical gameplay that made Battlefields 1942/2/2142 so great, the game turns into a mindless grind with no balance or thought. Some of the maps are better than others, but there are 4 or 5 out of the 9 that come with the game that are up with the worst from Bad Company 2, which was a sort of mini-console-Battlefield that Battlefield 3 wasn't supposed to be emulating. Like, two of the nine Battlefield 3 maps are literally linear underground tunnels. I was extremely disappointed that there isn't a single large-scale map up there with even the mid-sized maps from the old Battlefield games. If you look at the promo videos which pretty much all involve flying jets (which have no effect on the rest of the game by the way, they're in the game mostly for looks and bullet points I think) the maps look pretty large but all of the capture points are clustered in one tiny area which turns the game into another Call of Duty. They seem to have focused much more on adding a bunch of annoying leveling features, you start out with nothing and then have to grind your way up to get more gear, eventually you'll unlock weapons like an IR Scope that's basically a dev-endorsed wall-hack or gun addons that remove all of your recoil. There are some really huge oversights like air vehicles not starting out with countermeasures, which means as soon as you take off you'll be shot down by one of the 12 players on the other team wielding missile launchers, until you grind enough to unlock something to defend yourself. Nothing in this game is about being "fun", it's about being addictive and fulfilling a lot of soulless corporate metrics. Who cares if the game plays like crap, if you can compel players to grind out a bunch of silly awards? If you're reading this review 3 months from now, you should probably just avoid, because I suspect it will be really miserable to start out in this game once you're going up against teams of experienced players with leveled upped gear. I only tried single player for about 2 minutes, within that time I shot a few AK-47 wielding masked terrists and QTE'd a man to death and then QTE jumped from an exploding train, which is way too many QTE's for me. If you like games that try to look like action movies I think you'll really enjoy this one though. The only positives I can think of are that the graphics and sound are very nice. I'm still holding out hope there will be some sort of additional maps or expansion or something that fixes some of the problems, but I really doubt it based on what I've seen so far, Battlefield 3 has already sold like a hojillion copies so I do not think Electronic Arts gives a **** Expand
  20. Oct 29, 2011
    2 points for the anticipated game I have yet to get a taste of. Minus every other point for how broken Origin is. Releasing a game that is locked to a third party software like Origin, and then have the application so broken and unfinished is just unacceptable. Not to mention one of the worst and most useless support chatlines in the history of gaming.
  21. Oct 26, 2011
    Potentially great game, completely hamstrung by the epic fail that is Origin and Battlelog. I wish I could get a refund. Hell, battlelog doesn't even recognize the install if you have BF3 Limited Edition instead of BF3 standard.
  22. Feb 13, 2012
    To me, as a Battlefield veteran, this isn't even a video game. If you look at any past game and compare it to BF3, you keep discovering the same statement over and over; there's nothing new. All BF3 does is remove features from older titles. BF3 doesn't have commanders, commander assets, large maps with more than 7 cap points, a more intricate squad command structure, more diversifiedTo me, as a Battlefield veteran, this isn't even a video game. If you look at any past game and compare it to BF3, you keep discovering the same statement over and over; there's nothing new. All BF3 does is remove features from older titles. BF3 doesn't have commanders, commander assets, large maps with more than 7 cap points, a more intricate squad command structure, more diversified classes, decent server tools, objective based gameplay, fucntional commorose, and options for veterans to play as we have been since 2002. As this is an objective review, opinions on decisions such as health regeneration, sound spotting, 4 player squads, etc are all irrelevant. What has BF3 contributed to Battlefield as a whole? There is nothing new about this game, just stripped down gameplay to appeal to console players and casuals alike. Expand
  23. Oct 29, 2011
    The 3 points go to the amazing singleplayer and multiplayer combined with stunning graphics. The -7 points go to EA's invasive Origin where it scans, mines absolutely every data possible.

NO, EA, this is not how you **** with the gamers!
  24. Oct 25, 2011
    Look, I know this is a multiplayer game. I do. I understand that the singleplayer is little more than an extended tutorial. Did an hour of multiplayer and it was really great. But you put the crappy singleplayer in there as well, so I'm damn well going to address it. It sucks. I mean really, the lack of effort is glaring. Let's start with story. Ok, so we all know the story this entireLook, I know this is a multiplayer game. I do. I understand that the singleplayer is little more than an extended tutorial. Did an hour of multiplayer and it was really great. But you put the crappy singleplayer in there as well, so I'm damn well going to address it. It sucks. I mean really, the lack of effort is glaring. Let's start with story. Ok, so we all know the story this entire genre of games has. Story. Singular. The only thing that ever changes is if it's nazis, russians or terrorists. What's even worse is, it's told as a flashback within a retrospective. This method is not avanguard. It's not clever. It's not artistic. It's a bad idea, and it always was. Now, remember how in Bad Company 2 you usually had multiple avenues of approach? You could take the buildings on either side of the street just go for a frontal assault or clear that sawmill in any sequence you wanted, or in the desert mission pick which part to do first? Yeah, Bad Company 2 was linear. But it made an effort to pretend it wasn't. This game? Corridor shooter. I mean quite literally. I tried flanking constantly, every single time I was told "Leaving battlefield" and given a timer. Every time. The game is a sequence of corridors leading to slightly larger shooting galleries in which you're given no option how to approach the situation. You do it exactly in the one place the designer meant you to and that's. Then, enemies. Oh God this part is terrible. The enemies are inexcusable. First of all, all the terrorists are one guy. No, seriously. Every last one of them. The same model. Exactly the same. No difference. In two shooting galleries one after the other I stood crouched next to their spawn point and for a full minute each it went like this: Two identical clones enter. I shoot them both. Reload. Two identical clones enter. Repeat. This for a full minute each time. And most of the game is like this. So yeah, I'm sorry but if you didn't want people to judge this game on the singleplayer you should have stuck with the multiplayer, which is actually really good btw. Expand
  25. Oct 26, 2011
    The game's single-player is more linear, glitcher and worse than any CoD game, which is saying ALOT. Being a hardcore fan of BF2, BF2142, and BFP4F, I found the multi-player extremely unsatisfying with less UI features than 5-6 year old videogames, EA Origin, missing classes, really mediocre MoH 2010 gunplay, and glitched vehicle combat. I uninstalled it after 10 hours in Open Beta and theThe game's single-player is more linear, glitcher and worse than any CoD game, which is saying ALOT. Being a hardcore fan of BF2, BF2142, and BFP4F, I found the multi-player extremely unsatisfying with less UI features than 5-6 year old videogames, EA Origin, missing classes, really mediocre MoH 2010 gunplay, and glitched vehicle combat. I uninstalled it after 10 hours in Open Beta and the full game is just as disappointing. [[[Whats sad is EA forced reviewers not to release negative reviews until after the game's release week.]]] Collapse
  26. Oct 25, 2011
    After installing Origin and waiting for 1st day patches to fiinish downloading then updating my nVidea drivers I was already fairly negative, but I thought hey, all that hype, all those pretty trailers, should be worth it in the end. right? Single Player is mixture between dull and tedious, Multiplayer is buggy and some essential features missing. I'd like to say I'd try it again in a fewAfter installing Origin and waiting for 1st day patches to fiinish downloading then updating my nVidea drivers I was already fairly negative, but I thought hey, all that hype, all those pretty trailers, should be worth it in the end. right? Single Player is mixture between dull and tedious, Multiplayer is buggy and some essential features missing. I'd like to say I'd try it again in a few months after 2 gig's worth of patches has been released, but I'm uninstalling it till then just to get rid of this spyware know as Origin. Expand
  27. Oct 25, 2011
    What could have been a great game seriously let down by the developers. Multiple issues that were reported from the alpha through the beta by many still exist. With bugs and glitches that were also not present previously. It honestly feels like a half finished game. Things that they should have known people hated from bf:bc2 completely ignored.
    The lack of basic things, no team balance, no
    The lack of basic things, no team balance, no option to select the squad you want. half complete features, for example commorose, missing simple things like requesting ammo or health, but even the options there can't be heard by your team so it is pointless.
    Game isn't built to be a battlefield any more, took too many ideas from cod. Now its suck in the middle doing a worse job then both and nothing better then either.
    That's just the MP, the SP is linear, boring and so heavily scripted, you can't do anything the game doesn't want.
    A hefty patch is the only thing that will fix this, thoroughly underwhelming and a massive disappointment.
  28. Oct 26, 2011
    Visually this game is a 10 but the game play is a step backwards. 99% of people buy Battlefield for the multi-player so I won't even bother with the fail that is single player. Commander? Gone
    Squads remain in the game but are limited to 4 players and all the functionality from before is simply gone. Want to play with 1 or multiple other friends, on the same team, in the same squad? Good luck with that. You can't join the squad of your choice. You can't join a friends squad and they can't join you. You must rely on luck to get in the same squad. In its current state BF3 seems to be designed for the MW2 crowd and they lost their identity in the process.
    To top it off you have to launch the game through a 3rd party web browser. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is that all about?
    BF3 has potential but they need to fix the teamwork features of the game. Every previous battlefield title surpasses BF3 in the team play department.
  29. Oct 30, 2011
    Firstly, let me tell you that this game is awesome. The graphics, animations and sound are top notch.
    The campaign is mediocre but then if you bought BF3 for the SP, there's something wrong with you.
    Now the reason for the low score is that the game is totally unplayable. Sure there are some people who haven't had a single problem , you are the lucky ones and I envy you but there are 10 more people for 1 of you who are not able to play the game for more than 5 minutes. The game crashes with a stuttering sound after 5 mins into a MP session. The stuttering on this game is unimaginable on certain high end cards as well. When i pay $60 to play a game i don't expect to spend 10 hours finding a solution to a problem running the game. Kudos to DIce and EA for not porting this from the consoles but your ignorance to customer grievances on Battlelog has to be brought to the forefront.
    You had an amazing game in your hands and you messed it up. Stay away from this title , atleast on the PC until these issues are rectified.
  30. JLF
    Oct 28, 2011
    As always, EA doesn't impress. The singleplayer plot was boring. More boring than black ops. But it's alright, the game is supposed to shine in multiplayer, right? It doesn't. While the game IS a step up from BC2 and CoD, it's pretty much the same garbage as it was before. Except this time it has "new engine" slapped on it. I'm giving it one above minimum, because I'm sure it's concurrentAs always, EA doesn't impress. The singleplayer plot was boring. More boring than black ops. But it's alright, the game is supposed to shine in multiplayer, right? It doesn't. While the game IS a step up from BC2 and CoD, it's pretty much the same garbage as it was before. Except this time it has "new engine" slapped on it. I'm giving it one above minimum, because I'm sure it's concurrent is going to be even worse Expand
  31. Oct 26, 2011

It's all a matter of taste, after all. They each provide a certain type of entertainment – when talking about Battlefield 3, it involves a bigger game, more open in its possibilities and more spectacular. But on a longer timeline, less frantic and with fewer Bruce Willis scenes than the mass appeal beast it set itself to dethrone.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 20, 2012
    No, Battlefield 3 is not the best game of today. But good looking – definitely. It also has an absolutely addictive multiplayer. Who needs more? [Dec 2011]
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Dec 4, 2011
    Both a triumphant leap forward and a return to form for the Battlefield series. This is the best multiplayer shooter on PC. [Christmas 2011, p.58]