Beat Hazard Ultra PC

8.5

1. Jan 15, 2013
    A very fun arcade game, easy to play for a half hour or so at a time: you can just pick it up and put it down minutes later to fill in some free time if you're bored. Playing any game to your favorite music makes the experience better most of the time, so imagine when the game responds to your music, so you're-in a way-playing your song. It's awesome to say the least. As long as the songA very fun arcade game, easy to play for a half hour or so at a time: you can just pick it up and put it down minutes later to fill in some free time if you're bored. Playing any game to your favorite music makes the experience better most of the time, so imagine when the game responds to your music, so you're-in a way-playing your song. It's awesome to say the least. As long as the song is a good quality download it'll work great and the game responds accordingly, very impressed with the programming. I never played the original, I only have the Ultra version of Beat Hazard so I can't compare, I don't believe reviews should compare games anyway. I took one point off because, let's face it, it can obviously get to be a little boring and repetitive, seeing as you basically do the same thing every time. However, to fix this problem earlier in the game you can win achievements and unlock perks with money, but it quickly gets very difficult to save up enough for the next one, and that's around when it starts getting repetitive and you start grinding for money (if you even care about perks. And it took me about 9 hours of play time before I got really bored). If you're looking for a simple game, that you can play while listening to your favorite music, and you like top-down Asteroid styled games, then Beat Hazard is definitely for you. Expand
  2. Feb 17, 2012
    If you don't like this game you are nothing but a pile of clay waiting to take shape. This game is in my Steam favorites and it's staying in my all time favorites.
  3. Aug 12, 2011
    This is one of those games that has some flaws, but I really like it. Using your own music to influence the gameplay is great and makes for some very vibrant scenes. The only problem I have with the game is that when your online you cannot choose from your library unless the other player has it too. The game also comes with 43 songs so thats a nice selection but still not as fun as usingThis is one of those games that has some flaws, but I really like it. Using your own music to influence the gameplay is great and makes for some very vibrant scenes. The only problem I have with the game is that when your online you cannot choose from your library unless the other player has it too. The game also comes with 43 songs so thats a nice selection but still not as fun as using your own. Overall this add-on breathes enough fresh content to keep it fun for a while. Expand
  4. Feb 13, 2014
    One of the most enjoyable schmups available on the PC and a fun way to listen to your music while playing. Solo it`s a bit limited, but good scaling of difficulties and a nice scoring system means you`ll want to improve your scores for example by rifling through your library for the perfect song with which to do the 3-4 minute song high score. If you don`t want to play single songs likeOne of the most enjoyable schmups available on the PC and a fun way to listen to your music while playing. Solo it`s a bit limited, but good scaling of difficulties and a nice scoring system means you`ll want to improve your scores for example by rifling through your library for the perfect song with which to do the 3-4 minute song high score. If you don`t want to play single songs like this you can try survival or just playing a relaxing casual game without scoring. Either way your gun will react to the sound of the music you play in volume and colors in an outrageous and epilepsy inducing display. It sometimes seems a bit random in that very similar songs will generate wildly different patterns and colors, but at least it`s consistent and the same song will always look the same.
    Where the game really shines is in multiplayer, which can be played in coop or competitively. As long as whoever you hook up with on the web has the song you wanna play on his hard drive you will match up with the same song playing for both. This is not only great fun and quite sociable but also a cool way to get introduced to some new music:)
    Beat Hazard is highly recommended for people who like shooting alien vessels and listening to music at the same time. If anything negative can be said it might be that the game works awfully poorly with slow or quiet music, almost forcing you to play techno, dubstep, EBM, metal or something similarly energetic. It would be cool if the game was still playable, if not exactly competitive score-wise, with classical symphonies, pan flute solos or Jean Michel Jarre, but it just isn`t.
  5. Oct 31, 2011
    This game is much fun and we spent hours playing it. Each song is a different game and it trying to achieve the challenges is fun even when you fail. IGN's poor score is nothing but a shame. This game deserves a score no less than 8. It certainly deserves the money paid for it.
  6. Mar 13, 2015
    UPDATED - New SHADOW OPERATIONS dlc has been released and thus has changed the scoring for this game.

Game: Beat Hazard Ultra Genre: Music Shooter Developer: Cold Beam Games System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 88/100 Value Score: 8.8/10 • Story: */10 o The game has no storyline whatsoever. • Characters: 8/10 o There are no actual characters in the game but the objects within

Game: Beat Hazard Ultra
    Genre: Music Shooter
    Developer: Cold Beam Games
    System: Steam (PC)
    Total Score: 88/100
    Value Score: 8.8/10

• Story: */10
    o The game has no storyline whatsoever.

• Characters: 8/10
    o There are no actual characters in the game but the objects within the game feature themselves as a type of character. You have several types of enemies with all sorts of appearances and attacks that come in many forms and shapes. There are about 3-4 different type of bosses each with unique form and attack. There are also mini boss versions of the bosses. There's also the player character or player characters if you go multiplayer. UPDATE - There are more ships now to play as than before and now the option to play as community created ships makes the selection quite appealing.

• GamePlay: 10/10
    o The game is like a Japanese side scroller shooter which you play as a vehicle and destroy objects that come towards you in the form of meteors, debris, enemy ships, or just giant creatures. You must destroy them to get points and power ups which can do a multitude of things such as a multipler which can increase your score, a P power up which increases your attack power, a VOL power up which increases the volume of the music (in which affects your basic shooting attack pattern and burst shot). You can pretty much use the built in music collection or import your own tracks to play in the background of the game. The music affects your shot attacks, affects the enemy presence and how some power ups are distributed or appear - it is all based on Rhythm or the beat of the game. You have the choice to play single player, multiplayer, boss mode (which you fight bosses non-stop), or even the ability to play the classic Beat Hazard game upon start up for a different visual appearance and different UI. There are ranks which you can achieve based on raking up points from each game you do along with the fact you can unlock/use bonuses in the form of perks you can equip to make things interesting such as increased difficulty or giving you a boost of power in the beginning of a game.

• Graphics: 7/10
    o Although the game isnt as graphic intense as most other recent games the game shines at its own creativity. The music itself develops the intensity of the lighting and special effects - depending on the rhythm different colors and splashes may occur which adds variety to the game and gives you a adrenaline rush feeling. However its best to stay back otherwise you'll have a high chance of getting a Seizure (as the game warns you as well when you start it).

• Sound: 7/10
    o The game has basic sound effects for explosions, attacks and going through the menu. It feels and sounds like you are literally in a early 1990s or a late 1980s game which is quite nostalgic. There are no voice overs or anything unless you count what you hear in the music or the built in radio.

• Music: 10/10
    o The game features a set of tracks already built in along with some radio stations for players who have no music on their computer. The reason why this aspect receives a perfect score is the ability to add your own music to the game which is the ultimate option for this aspect.

• Length: 6/10
    o Because the game consists of a side scroller shooter with limited music (and you can add more music) with no direction or storyline the game's length is quite minimal. There are ranks and bonuses in the form of perks you can unlock however should only take you no more than 3 hours to get everything unlocked. UPDATE - Due to the inclusion of the Shadow Operations DLC - there's more to unlock in terms of content (ships) and ranks.

• Replay Value: 10/10
    o Although the game has no direction, it allows you to pave your own direction with the ability to put your own music you can play this game and get a different result each time you play. Every game is absolutely different. If single player isnt enough to satisfy your hunger you can do multiplayer co-op or even competitive. There's also boss mode and of course you add music tracks of your own to change up the pace of the game. You can also unlock additional difficulties through perks.

• Player Value: 10/10
    o This game is absolutely recommended especially for fans of the music genre, love music and loves shooters. The game is also a great multiplayer experience as you can play all the modes in competitive or co-op (this includes the boss rush mode). You can import your own music or use the built in music or radio stations to give you a different experience each time you play. This is a great game for both hardcore fanatics who want to brag about points or compete with each other and super casuals who just want something to spend time on even if it is for just one game.
  7. Jan 10, 2012
    This is a great little game. I love to listen to music and have a lot of great stuff on my PC. I don't listen to it as much as I would like as I am usually doing other things, frequently more than one thing at a time. When playing Beat Hazard I get to listen to my favorites songs while playing a truly fun top-down space shooter that reacts to the music itself. Wonderful experience.This is a great little game. I love to listen to music and have a lot of great stuff on my PC. I don't listen to it as much as I would like as I am usually doing other things, frequently more than one thing at a time. When playing Beat Hazard I get to listen to my favorites songs while playing a truly fun top-down space shooter that reacts to the music itself. Wonderful experience. HIghly recommended. The ultra DLC adds some interesting features including perks, new game modes and multiplayer. Well worth it. Expand
  8. Apr 9, 2012
    Beat Hazard Ultra is an addon DLC to the arcade shoot-em-up indie title which procedurally generates levels based on your music library.
    Cold Beam listened to the fans and delivered some much-needed diversity to the powerups and enemy selection, and also multiplayer (local or online)! The new enemies are visually interesting and unique, featuring a squid-like tentacled robot boss, segmented snake 'bots, mine layers, missile ships, ship-inhibiting energy seekers and more. They are all visually and aurally recognizable and satisfying to destroy. The new weapons light up the screen with explosions and noise, and the radio feature means you can discover new tunes while you play.
    The gameplay's diversity increased greatly with 3 new weapons, the beam, shield and micro missiles. Combining these weapons adds even more strategy and fun to be discovered! The new enemies have unique behaviours and weaknesses, making for much more interesting gameplay. Some new gameplay modes, including coop and boss battles gives so much more to do. The grind needed to max out your perks is still present, and it took me around 24h to acquire them all.

Overall, if you even remotely enjoyed the original Beat Hazard, then you owe it to yourself to get this low-price DLC, which beefs up Beat Hazard significantly. The developers were even kind enough to provide a separate executable for running the game in its original state, too!
  9. Aug 29, 2013
    I've been playing Beat Hazard since release (actually my second or third purchase on Steam) and it's always been about an 8/10 for me. Ultra knocks it up to 10/10 it's that good.
  10. Mar 22, 2013
    I just love this game. Your own tracks, you can play with friend, you can play with radio songs, you can pass your own radio too. Developers made EPIC work. Sadly this game isn't known too much. But it's best game from Humble Bundle.
  11. Apr 26, 2014
    This game didnt last long for me after the wow factor wore off. I did very much enjoy it for the sale price I got it at. Playing games to your own music is a lot of fun, and the visuals are dazzling. Just dont expect to put much more than 10 hours or so into it (unless youre a dedicated fan of arcade shooters) The ultra edition does add some extra content that helps boost its replayability.
  12. Mar 7, 2014
    I like music themed games but i don't enjoy guitar hero or rock band... First i've met with audiosurf, it was enjoyable for a time but then it started to be boring... Then, i've found this game. Beat hazard is looks like old-school shoot'em up games but, your music gives a new soul to your shooter experience. Upgrading and perks are great features. Game is really fun for anyone who enjoysI like music themed games but i don't enjoy guitar hero or rock band... First i've met with audiosurf, it was enjoyable for a time but then it started to be boring... Then, i've found this game. Beat hazard is looks like old-school shoot'em up games but, your music gives a new soul to your shooter experience. Upgrading and perks are great features. Game is really fun for anyone who enjoys music-themed games or old-school shooters. Expand

There are no critic reviews yet.