Beat Hazard PC

7.2

1. AdamR
    May 18, 2010
    Though never mentioned, this game seems like it wants to be the next Audiosurf. It would be easy to believe. However, what you get is a game of Asteroid with sensory overload, and only the absolute minimum of music influence on the gameplay itself. Never once did I feel like the gameplay matched the flow of the music, and the entire music aspect of the game could be perfectly replicated Though never mentioned, this game seems like it wants to be the next Audiosurf. It would be easy to believe. However, what you get is a game of Asteroid with sensory overload, and only the absolute minimum of music influence on the gameplay itself. Never once did I feel like the gameplay matched the flow of the music, and the entire music aspect of the game could be perfectly replicated by making a plain old asteroid clone, muting the music, and opening Winamp before playing. The price tag is far to high for this. If you want to play a pretty version of Asteroid, then consider this when it comes down in price. There's no real criticism for actual gameplay, but there's no real compliments either. Expand
  2. Dec 13, 2010
    While they whole notion of "PLAY WITH YOUR MUSIC" seems quite interesting to look at, that's pretty much where it's job ends. It does little to affect gameplay, apart from the fact that your bullets are stronger in more intense sections of the song. Plus, given the deliberate seizure inducing visuals (which are somewhat pretty) and the fact that you must pay an extra dollar to get iTunesWhile they whole notion of "PLAY WITH YOUR MUSIC" seems quite interesting to look at, that's pretty much where it's job ends. It does little to affect gameplay, apart from the fact that your bullets are stronger in more intense sections of the song. Plus, given the deliberate seizure inducing visuals (which are somewhat pretty) and the fact that you must pay an extra dollar to get iTunes m4a support, It doesn't seem much like a worthy game, more like just some Asteroids clone with music. Your music. Probably only good for short bursts, before you collapse to the floor in a fit. Expand
  3. Jan 2, 2012
    Beat Hazard it's a game for a 15 minute break. Don't get me wrong, that's actually an upside! Such productions are not made to engage player for long hours of gameplay - it's not even possible with this one, because of it's overloaded visuals. I would compare it with Audiosurf - that's logical, but those games have very less in common. Of course, your mp3's create levels in both games,Beat Hazard it's a game for a 15 minute break. Don't get me wrong, that's actually an upside! Such productions are not made to engage player for long hours of gameplay - it's not even possible with this one, because of it's overloaded visuals. I would compare it with Audiosurf - that's logical, but those games have very less in common. Of course, your mp3's create levels in both games, but Beat Hazard is a classical space-shooter, like Asteroids. It's rapid, flashy and punishes you for every mistake... and yes, visuals are very intense. That's why it's perfect for 15 minutes break - your eyes won't get tired. Unfortunately, developers could really spice up some features.. and they did not. Your music has very questionable influence on your game - sometimes it kinda catch up, other times it fails totally. When you use more advanced perks (you unlock them when clearing songs) and turn the difficulty up, it seems to match the music in a better way... but still, it's not so precise as Audiosurf. In conclusion - pretty nice game, for all arcade shooter fans. Grab it when there's a discount and be sure to buy the "ultra" edition, with many more perks to unlock and new enemies. Expand
  4. Aug 23, 2011
    I played the demo for about half an hour. Then I had to wait another half hour to write this review because my eyes couldn't adjust to the relative dimness of my regular monitor brightness. The game was so bright and flashy that I literally could not see it, even after turning down the brightness. Even on slower songs (which really differ very little from their upbeat counterparts) theI played the demo for about half an hour. Then I had to wait another half hour to write this review because my eyes couldn't adjust to the relative dimness of my regular monitor brightness. The game was so bright and flashy that I literally could not see it, even after turning down the brightness. Even on slower songs (which really differ very little from their upbeat counterparts) the game spawned massive amounts of enemies which felt like they really had no place there. The effects were cool when I could see them, and the game felt very modern Asteroids-esque, and listening to my music whilst playing was fun, but I might as well turn on iTunes for that eh? Not a horrible game but just go buy Audiosurf instead. Expand
  5. Apr 9, 2012
    Beat Hazard is a procedurally generated game based on your music. It does a good job with it, with big flashy explosions, gunfire, enemies and more during high points of the music, contrasted by slow enemies (after the balance patch) and weak gunfire during the lulls. Featuring generic space-based enemies, Beat Hazard does leave a lot to be desired graphically and atmospherically. TheBeat Hazard is a procedurally generated game based on your music. It does a good job with it, with big flashy explosions, gunfire, enemies and more during high points of the music, contrasted by slow enemies (after the balance patch) and weak gunfire during the lulls. Featuring generic space-based enemies, Beat Hazard does leave a lot to be desired graphically and atmospherically. The overly flashy effects (literally FLASHY) is an annoyance to some gamers, but I enjoyed it and thought it added tension; there is order to the chaos on the screen - it just takes some experience to recognize it.
    The gameplay is a straight-forward bullet-hell shoot-em-up, featuring a single level-clearing powerup and smaller cumulative weapon strength powerups. Beat Hazard is by no means easy, but eases the difficulty with a simple level-up system, which takes dozens of hours to max out. The enemies are easy to understand, from path-following suicide ships, to crumbling asteroids, to player-seeking armed ships and to the behemoth dividable boss ships. If there's one thing Beat Hazard lacks in gameplay, it's not the fast paced adrenaline-filled action, but the lack of diversity in weaponry, enemies and powerups.
    Overall, Beat Hazard is a great attempt at an action-music game, with a huge advantage in being able to use your own music library. Highly recommended to fans of indie games or anyone who craves a throwback to arcade games of the 80's.
  6. Jul 19, 2011
    If you like listening to music while inducing photosensitive seizures, this is likely the right game for you--it is seriously visually intense. Combine Asteroids and Robotron together and you've summed up the game play of Beat Hazard. In addition to achievements and perks, the game offers single player, coop, and versus elements to keep it from getting stale. Music is typically supposed toIf you like listening to music while inducing photosensitive seizures, this is likely the right game for you--it is seriously visually intense. Combine Asteroids and Robotron together and you've summed up the game play of Beat Hazard. In addition to achievements and perks, the game offers single player, coop, and versus elements to keep it from getting stale. Music is typically supposed to be relaxing...this game is anything but. Expand
  7. Jan 9, 2012
    THE REASON, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. UNIQUE CUSTOMIZABLE MUSIC SELECTION, ENEMY AI IS EFFECTED BY THE MUSIC CHOICE AND Addictive. At first glance the game doesn't give much potential, boy was i wrong. The intensity, of some of my own song choices, were utterly insane and challenging. A song you wouldn't think to be hard was and vice versa. Buy now and be impressed with enjoyment of your own music. CDO
  8. Nov 22, 2012
    You see, Beat hazard is, at this point in time, two games. Beat hazard itself would get a 5, it is a great concept, it's pretty well executed but could use a LOT more content, there's like 5 enemy types and what, 3 bosses? Anyways, Beat hazard is fun for a couple hours. Then you spend 5 dollars extra and you basically triple the content and throw in online multiplayer, and then you get aYou see, Beat hazard is, at this point in time, two games. Beat hazard itself would get a 5, it is a great concept, it's pretty well executed but could use a LOT more content, there's like 5 enemy types and what, 3 bosses? Anyways, Beat hazard is fun for a couple hours. Then you spend 5 dollars extra and you basically triple the content and throw in online multiplayer, and then you get a game worthy of 7 or 8. Expand
  9. Dec 17, 2012
    Seizure generator powered by your bad music! Gameplay is asteroids with some beat matching and lots of graphical effects. There aren't many rhythm game options on Steam; this is significantly better than Audiosurf but is still just average for the genre.
  10. Mar 8, 2013
    So, you are bored and want to play some music meanwhile doing something?

This is the perfect game to do it! It is basically an asteroid clone with some touhou elements. Very interesting is the achievement part of the game and the RSS feed. You get noticed live if you climb the world ladders or if there is somebody willing to play online, you just have to press F1 and you can duel
    So, you are bored and want to play some music meanwhile doing something?

This is the perfect game to do it!

It is basically an asteroid clone with some touhou elements.

Very interesting is the achievement part of the game and the RSS feed. You get noticed live if you climb the world ladders or if there is somebody willing to play online, you just have to press F1 and you can duel or coop with him.

The bad part is that there are not so much enemy unit types, and the interaction between what happens on screen and your music could've done better.

I found Beat Hazard in the current Humble Bundle, I paid 1 for this and other 3 games, so I actually really recommend you to get this bundle.
  11. Aug 24, 2013
    I would say how interesting Beat Hazard was, but looking back it's all just a blur.

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed Beat Hazard, but the reason I did was purely because of my childhood. As a kid when I listened to music it was on a desktop PC with the visualizer on. I loved those screens and their fun transitions and colors. So that brings us to this game. Beat Hazard. It's

So that brings us to this game. Beat Hazard. It's a visualizer with spaceships and lasers and such. You control a space ship, and play a game very similar to Asteroids, you can move your ship, and you shoot at others.

I'm finding words hard to think of.
    How about this: There is a warning at the beginning that says if you're sensitive to intense bright and flashing lights you best beware of the game, no refunds. But that's prompted... somewhere in the steam store page I think.

Before you start a song (which you can use songs from your library) you will be given options to change the difficulty, visual intensity, and your set perks. The perks system is a bit ham-handed and forced in (or at least it feels like it) basically just changing the pickups or certain multipliers you get at the start of a session.
    Speaking of, the level up system is just for score purpose, so it doesn't really feel needed, since there's other ways to measure your score.

There are no true pickups besides bombs, so fans of contra-style pickups will be disappointed for certain.

But for all of the cons for the game, I keep coming back for more, so I'm not really sure what to do here. If you're on the fence, I suggest you wait for a sale, you aren't missing much.
  12. Sep 26, 2013
    I like spaceshooters and i like music games. But this game doesn't really saitsfy me in any way.
    The music hardly shows any effect on gameplay and the gameplay itself is basicly trying to not turn blind by the amount of effects gooing on.
    Don't get me wrong, it has nothing to do with it'S difficulcy and i really like pretty effects. But it'S just way too much. Imho it's hardly playable at some parts.
    If you want to play your music better go for Audiosurf. And if you want a spaceshooter, choose a different one.
  13. Nov 20, 2013
    I get how people can like these games; but they're just not for me! There is something quite nostalgic about the look and feel of this game and thankfully it isn't one of those modern adaptations of a pixelated 8-BIT games! The game is fuelled by your music and you steer your spaceship and shoot things... Very simple concept but it just isn't enough for me! If you do enjoy the classicI get how people can like these games; but they're just not for me! There is something quite nostalgic about the look and feel of this game and thankfully it isn't one of those modern adaptations of a pixelated 8-BIT games! The game is fuelled by your music and you steer your spaceship and shoot things... Very simple concept but it just isn't enough for me! If you do enjoy the classic style games then this is very likely up your alley, because it’s a very good looking game and the visual effects are pretty stunning! Unfortunately no matter what game mode you choose they all just appear to be the same, I guess I just expect more variation from titles like these! Expand
  14. Feb 23, 2015
    Looking for a new way to spice up your music listening sessions? If you answered yes, then this is the game for you! Because 'Beat Hazard' is basically just a music visualizer with lives. And if you don't have enough lives to make it through the song, well, then you don't hear the end of that song; it's as simple as that. Finally something that makes listening to music more challenging!Looking for a new way to spice up your music listening sessions? If you answered yes, then this is the game for you! Because 'Beat Hazard' is basically just a music visualizer with lives. And if you don't have enough lives to make it through the song, well, then you don't hear the end of that song; it's as simple as that. Finally something that makes listening to music more challenging! Ugh, we've seen this game a thousand times before, literally, there are a thousand other versions of this game out there already. Like 'Asteroids, Geometry Wars, Darius Twin, Giga Wing, 1943, LifeForce, Gradius, Raiden, Super Stardust, etc. You get the point, there are a lot of spaceship shooty games on the market.

Sad to say however, 'Beat Hazard' adds nothing new to this already saturated genre other than allowing us to play along to our favorite songs. But we could already do that by listening to our favorite songs while playing better versions of this game with the sound off. It was a nice attempt but 'Beat Hazard' falls really flat, no pun intended. There is just too much going on visually, even when turning the effects down half-way, and sometimes it's much too difficult to distinguish from what will and will not hurt you as debris flies all about. Not to mention the graphics look very cheap, especially the spaceship, and with a game with so many visual effects, it seriously hinders the experience, at least for me.

Overall there is still some fun to be had here, but pick 'Beat Hazard' up on sale, because ten bucks is just too much to pay for this generic pile of visual poppycock. The 'Survival Mode' is the one aspect that may keep you coming back, but other than that, avoid this game for something better like one of the titles mentioned above, because honestly, the one thing this game promises to do; power itself with your music, it doesn't even do very well.
  15. Mar 8, 2013

So, you are bored and want to play some music meanwhile doing something?

This is the perfect game to do it!

It is basically an asteroid clone with some touhou elements.

1. With some new social features, online play, or even some adjustments that more closely tie in the arrangement of enemies with the pace of the music, Beat Hazard's value could ascend well beyond the $10 asking price.
  2. This dual-stick shooter gives you a fun new way to listen to your favorite bands.
    Beat Hazard is a rather traditional Asteroids clone, with the fun addition that your own music can influence the game. Whoever thinks this suffices, will enjoy this game as a way to pass the time. However, the game does not contain the originality we have expected from indie games, and the influence of your own music could’ve been way better.