Beat Hazard PC

7.2

1. Jan 3, 2013
    This is a fun game for what it does. If you have a music collection you enjoy and aren't bothered too much by ALOT of flashing lights, this is a solid title. It's challenging and it plays all your favorite music. It's hardly something you can play everyday, but if you feel like some tunes but don't wanna just stare at the wall, this thing is great.
  2. Jan 18, 2011
    This game is awesome. It is similar to asteroids but the gun fires at the beat of the music making it very challenging. The lights are trippy at night and the overall gameplay is great.
  3. Jul 12, 2011
    This game is HIGHLY addictive. It seemed cool on steam so i decided to buy it, not noticing I have discovered a masterpiece in music games. I have never like asteroid type shooters before, but this game creates a amazing spectacle of lights and is greatly influenced in the song. I have a ton of music on my computer so this game is just endless enjoyment and the songs it came with were alsoThis game is HIGHLY addictive. It seemed cool on steam so i decided to buy it, not noticing I have discovered a masterpiece in music games. I have never like asteroid type shooters before, but this game creates a amazing spectacle of lights and is greatly influenced in the song. I have a ton of music on my computer so this game is just endless enjoyment and the songs it came with were also very good. One of the greatest purchases I have ever made. Expand
  4. Apr 28, 2011
    Asteroids + Music of your choice + Steroids = Beat Hazard

What a nice, small game (only coming up to around 40mb on the HD). If you're looking at a large campaign game, you wont find one here. This is one of them "I need a quick crack on Beat Hazard" moments ... or maybe "I need something to do for 10 minutes" If there was something similar, it may be put beside Stardust (on the
    Asteroids + Music of your choice + Steroids = Beat Hazard

What a nice, small game (only coming up to around 40mb on the HD).

If there was something similar, it may be put beside Stardust (on the Amiga), just, in short manic bursts.

The great thing about this one is that you can add any music from your library (mp3 / wma) and play. If you actually make your own tunes, how about playing em in a game? ^-^/
    You could for example have a lil competition with your friends to see who can get the best score on a song you like- or something.

As said before, it is a short-lived game, as there is no campaign, there are also only a few types of enemy.... The "upgrades" you get are in game power-ups, once the song finishes you start from 0. If they would have included a campaign / story mode where you could upgrade your ship somehow, (think Gradius, or maybe Transplant (Amiga) and then add a few extra baddies... perrrfect!

Ah, there is also a simultaneous two player mode which I haven't tried yet cos the wife doesn't like the games and I have no friends ;(

+ Graphics MANIC FLASHY FLASHNESS
    + Music BEATS HARD AND LOUD!
    + Play YOUR music

- No campaign
    - Short lived
  5. Dyer
    Apr 29, 2010
    If you like old school arcade style games like Asteroids, Galaxian, and Galaga, this is a great new take on the genre. Waves of enemies that are determined by the music you choose as well as the power of your weapons make a cool addition to this play style.
  6. Dec 17, 2010
    I'm enjoying this at the moment. Intense shooting fun for a low low price.

I'm enjoying this at the moment. Intense shooting fun for a low low price.

As the other reviews have said the music doesn't have a massive impact on game play, the only exception being hitting a boss fight in the quiet bit, so your guns are useless! The music browser is a bit slow and you can only seem to scroll though rather than search for a specific track (I have a large music collection). It's pretty intense and also quite pretty to look at. Easy to pick up and hard to master as all games should be. At the moment I keep coming back for more. How long this will last I don't know but for less than the price of a pint I've already had good value for money.
  7. Jun 9, 2011
    WOW... with the new update installed beat hazard has a whole new feel to it. I have been playing this game since the steam treasure hunt (way back then), and up until now i would've rated beat hazard around a 7-8 good fun gameplay but repetitive. with this new update (NOT BEAT HAZARD ULTRA) the game has a whole new element of how to play. I love the perk section, the game engine seems toWOW... with the new update installed beat hazard has a whole new feel to it. I have been playing this game since the steam treasure hunt (way back then), and up until now i would've rated beat hazard around a 7-8 good fun gameplay but repetitive. with this new update (NOT BEAT HAZARD ULTRA) the game has a whole new element of how to play. I love the perk section, the game engine seems to reflect the way your music now performs and there are new achievements. Beat hazard IS a really fun game that i recommend Expand
  8. Nov 2, 2011
    This game is worth the buy. Visual effects are gorgeous. A must play if you like these types of games. I hope you like to upgrade things because in this game you got a lot of choices to choose from at the start.
  9. Apr 29, 2012
    I just got the game a few days ago and I'm already having such a super fun time! It is very challenging, but I still enjoy that I can play my music. The lights are not a problem for me. I just can't really bare with the lights on a full 200%... Hahaha. You guys should try the demo out before you buy because I don't think this game is for everyone.
  10. Nov 29, 2010
    Never seen such a banging thing !! If you like bombastic graphic and music effects, and don´t want to spent money on a new heartbeat-maker, it´s the right game to play. 10.000 Volts and after-burning Fireworks.
    So its´even 11 to 12 !
    So its´even 11 to 12 !
    I got luckily it for less then 2 Euro-Bugs on Steam, but it´s worth more than 10. Even with sunglasses on, your hormones will be heavily updated !
  11. Dec 4, 2012
    With roots reaching back to Asteroids and Geometry wars, Beat Hazard, the first release from Cold Beam Games, introduces a next-gen twist to on it's predecessors...Music drives the gameplay, and you pick the tunes! Beat Hazard provides a unique gameplay experience with every new track since various musical elements change the way the game reacts; tempo controls your rate of fire, theWith roots reaching back to Asteroids and Geometry wars, Beat Hazard, the first release from Cold Beam Games, introduces a next-gen twist to on it's predecessors...Music drives the gameplay, and you pick the tunes! Beat Hazard provides a unique gameplay experience with every new track since various musical elements change the way the game reacts; tempo controls your rate of fire, the number of foes, and the way enemies attack. Slow songs don't have as many baddies, but you can't shoot as many projectiles from your ship. Meanwhile, up-tempo/club-mix tracks will have you on the edge of your seat as the screen explodes with enemies, but lends you a dazzling array of attacks to deal with the horde. If you want to play this on PC, Highly recommend using/getting an XB360 gamepad, it is a shooter, and the keyboard/mouse doesn't do it justice. Beat Hazard is available for both XBox 360 and PC. Go to the XB Live Marketplace to get it for 400pts, or head to Steam; ~$10. This game is a must-have for anyone who loves Audiosurf (another music driven game), craves a unique/addictive game experience, or needs yet another reason to pump up the volume. Expand
  12. Aug 12, 2011
    This is one of those games that has some flaws, but I really like it. Using your own music to influence the gameplay is great and makes for some very vibrant scenes.
  13. Jul 9, 2011
    Beat Hazard is amazing. I never actually owned a game that plays like BH before, not sure if Space Invader counts, but BH provided me with countless hours of fun while listening to some of my favorite songs. The boss fights were interesting, and evading the countless enemy units that filled up my screen while shooting as much as I could, was entertaining.

While I have not explored the

While I have not explored the entirety of the offering of its expansion aptly named Ultra, the few bosses I encountered, and even grunt units, now upgraded with more weapons and some really annoying abilities like a tractor beam turned my former experience of a smooth ride into a much more challenging experience. So kudos to the developers for these changes.
  14. Jun 17, 2011
    This game is simply awesome. I love the concept games that play to my music, but most of them are simply not that entertaining. Beat Hazard is clearly my favorite out of all the music based games I've played. The new DLC for it makes it multiplayer, which is insanely fun (as long as they have some of the same songs as you), and the perks system is nice.
  15. Feb 17, 2012
    Beat Hazard Classic is a masterpiece! one of my favorite games of all times! If you love music do yourself a favor and play this super fun super cool game
  16. Jan 10, 2012
    This is a great little game. I love to listen to music and have a lot of great stuff on my PC. I don't listen to it as much as I would like as I am usually doing other things, frequently more than one thing at a time. When playing Beat Hazard I get to listen to my favorites songs while playing a truly fun top-down space shooter that reacts to the music itself. Wonderful experience.This is a great little game. I love to listen to music and have a lot of great stuff on my PC. I don't listen to it as much as I would like as I am usually doing other things, frequently more than one thing at a time. When playing Beat Hazard I get to listen to my favorites songs while playing a truly fun top-down space shooter that reacts to the music itself. Wonderful experience. Highly recommended. Collapse
  17. Apr 16, 2013
    Old school arcade style gaming revamped and sexed up with awesome music. The dynamic relationship between the music and the game makes this game truly shine. Worth every penny.
  18. Jun 22, 2016
    2/16/2012: Now I eventually caved in and got Audiosurf, which is a cool game in it's own right, but Beat Hazard is my "play your music" game of choice. I love shmups, and Beat Hazard uses the classic Asteroids-style level set up of you spawning in the middle and enemies attacking from all sides. For me, good music is a huge part of how I feel about a game, but in Beat Hazard, YOU make the2/16/2012: Now I eventually caved in and got Audiosurf, which is a cool game in it's own right, but Beat Hazard is my "play your music" game of choice. I love shmups, and Beat Hazard uses the classic Asteroids-style level set up of you spawning in the middle and enemies attacking from all sides. For me, good music is a huge part of how I feel about a game, but in Beat Hazard, YOU make the soundtrack. To quote Aerosmith, music is the weapon. The gameplay is massively addictive, and paced brilliantly- the intensity of the visual effects and your enemies' assaults, is dependent on the pace of the music- as is your own ship's weapons. As you grow in power, so do your foes. And when the music reaches a crescendo, it's time for a boss fight. The "Ultra" addon massively enhances the game, adding loads of new enemy types, special weapons and perks for your ship, and new bosses. Expand
  19. Jul 18, 2011
    The music you choose greatly influences the difficulty of the game. Which makes this game very flexible for those who are looking for a distraction, or a light flickering challenge. With the option of playing with a friend or stranger online, this game constantly offers unique challenges when playing alone or with a friend and is definitely worth the $10 dollars.
  20. CRL
    Jul 25, 2011
    Beat Hazard by itself is a decent game. If you're a music lover, you will enjoy it. If you're an arcade game lover, you will enjoy it. However if you splurged a little extra on the 'Ultra' DLC, it becomes an awesome game. There are a couple modes, all of them fun in their own way (as long as you're not an epileptic), and the game itself is incredibly intoxicating.
  21. Sep 30, 2011
    Yes this game is really awesome .A perfectly game the multiplayer have small bugs but this is nothing . AudioSurf vs Beat Hazard = Beat hazard win :D
  22. Oct 17, 2013
    I can destroy aliens with the power of GODFLESH. I cannot possibly imagine what else I would want... Oh yeah, a bit more variety in the aliens wouldn't hurt, but it's a fun old school shooter that turns your tunes into lasers.
  23. Apr 26, 2014
    This game didnt last long for me after the wow factor wore off. I did very much enjoy it for the sale price I got it at. Playing games to your own music is a lot of fun, and the visuals are dazzling. Just dont expect to put much more than 10 hours or so into it (unless youre a dedicated fan of arcade shooters)
  24. Nov 1, 2015
    Very funny. Levels are generated based on your own music, there are asteroids and enemy ships around, and you shot them in a triumph of colors. There is also an extremely funny co-op mode in hot seat. Give it a shot!
  25. Jan 10, 2012

1. With some new social features, online play, or even some adjustments that more closely tie in the arrangement of enemies with the pace of the music, Beat Hazard's value could ascend well beyond the $10 asking price.
  2. This dual-stick shooter gives you a fun new way to listen to your favorite bands.
    Beat Hazard is a rather traditional Asteroids clone, with the fun addition that your own music can influence the game. Whoever thinks this suffices, will enjoy this game as a way to pass the time. However, the game does not contain the originality we have expected from indie games, and the influence of your own music could’ve been way better.