Beat Hazard PC

7.2

1. AWG
    Jul 31, 2013
    "Beat Hazard" is a music-based 2D space shooter. Yeah, it's exactly as boring as it sounds. Also, its effects are almost epilepsy-inducting. Not funny in anyway.
  2. Aug 10, 2011
    Beat Hazard is a neat idea that hasn't quite pulled it off. I like this kind of 2d-space-shooter thing and I love music, so I thought I would like this a lot more. But it ends up feeling like AudioSurf's rambunctious little brother.

The biggest problem is that it's too damn bright and flashy. As in, it actually hurts my eyes to play this thing for more than a few minutes. Everything seems to have bright white sparkles and bursts. It's ridiculous. Even with the brightness settings turned all the way down, it's annoying. I shouldn't need sunglasses to play a video game.

Once you get past that, it's just not that great at mapping the gameplay to the music. Audiosurf does a good job of making fast songs fast and crowded while slow songs are more leisurely. Beat Hazard just doesn't seem to differentiate the songs as much. Maybe it depends on what sort of music you put into it, but it wasn't working for me.

On a positive note, the "earn points to unlock things" is kind of neat and one way to make players want to come back for more.

Long story short, if you can get past the obnoxious flashing of the screen and really, really want to shoot some spaceships and asteroids while listening to your music, it might be worth the $5 or so it costs when it's on sale. I personally don't recommend it, though.

1. With some new social features, online play, or even some adjustments that more closely tie in the arrangement of enemies with the pace of the music, Beat Hazard's value could ascend well beyond the $10 asking price.
  2. This dual-stick shooter gives you a fun new way to listen to your favorite bands.
    Beat Hazard is a rather traditional Asteroids clone, with the fun addition that your own music can influence the game. Whoever thinks this suffices, will enjoy this game as a way to pass the time. However, the game does not contain the originality we have expected from indie games, and the influence of your own music could’ve been way better.