Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians PC

7.5

1. Oct 10, 2013
    Beautiful game with an emphasis on the soundtrack (which is also very good).

Nice puzzles and pretty much everything in the game is good... however I couldn't drag myself to finish the game 'cause all the puzzles and ''platforming mechanics'' stood pretty much the same and got boring to me after a while. Good game still
  2. Aug 22, 2013
    A game-halting bug in the second stage killed my experience, but I guess it's worth a try. The music is amazing, but the level design is sometimes too straightforward.
  3. Dec 10, 2013
    Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians is a beautiful side-scrolling game with lots of nuance and creativity and the music is great and guides you well through the game-play and puzzles. It lacks a little in depth and variety but the good looking graphics and story make up for it. It is not my favorite type of game as I'm not a big fan of platforming but this one is interesting to say theBeatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians is a beautiful side-scrolling game with lots of nuance and creativity and the music is great and guides you well through the game-play and puzzles. It lacks a little in depth and variety but the good looking graphics and story make up for it. It is not my favorite type of game as I'm not a big fan of platforming but this one is interesting to say the least. So if you're into this type of thing I strongly recommend getting this game! Expand
  4. Aug 30, 2013
    Interesting and unique game. It's refreshing to have a game that is challenging and well thought out while being accessible to all. Worth playing and recommended.
  5. Apr 28, 2014
    Last Played: April 2014

PROS: + Hand drawn backgrounds theme well and look good + Interesting concept: interactive elements in game control the music CONS: - Some framerate issues on a high performance PC – Foreground elements can obscure the screen – Some frustrating sequences (mostly due to annoying enemies and timing sequences) SUMMARY: I guess everybody wants to love
    Last Played: April 2014

SUMMARY: I guess everybody wants to love independent games, and this one is mostly rated quite highly, seemingly in spite of misgivings other reviewers have listed. The two main draws to this game seem to be the art style (abstract shapes and rich colors) and the music (interactive elements contribute to one somewhat short repeating German techno song for each level). Unfortunately, the things that this game do well can also get in the way a bit. The hand-drawn elements of the background, while pretty are not so astounding that you’ll pause just to be impressed. In fact, on some occasions poor overlapping may even make you think that a secret or path exists where there is none. Moreover, there are a surprising number of times when the screen is partially or almost totally obscured by foreground elements so you can’t see what is going on, and sometimes there is such bad skipping that the game becomes nigh unplayable.
    The music is also problematic, in that the developers (to make it fit any length of time needed for a level) elected to make the repeating sequence somewhat short. As long as you are busy, it isn’t objectionable, but if you are waiting for something to happen, you might notice just how short they are. And unless you are a diehard fan of German techno music, this will become annoying. Speaking of waiting for things to happen, the timing in this game purports to be associated with the music, but the color signals telling you when to move sometimes don’t match the beat on which you actually are supposed to move (causing damage). There are really only three enemies in the game; one of which moves on a particular beat and must be avoided, a “trap” type that can be temporarily disabled, and one that can be killed, but comes in annoyingly large swarms and is often better avoided. In the end, the game suffers from increasing the quantity of the same enemies rather than introducing new ones. The puzzles suffer from the same limitation, in that they offer more quantity by the end, but not more complexity or reward.

Unless you love German techno music or supporting independent developers, I wouldn’t spend more than $5 acquiring this game.
  6. Mar 6, 2015
    I played it at the gamescom in Germany in 2014, it was beautiful in art and sound design and the beat went straight through the heart into the foot! I would easily pay 20 bucks for this game!

1. Dec 11, 2013
    The foundation for a great game is built here, but the gameplay ranges from passable to dull.
  2. Dec 9, 2013
    Some minor bugs and level design issues keep Beatbuddy from being a great title. It's worth checking out for those who want to try something different, and if you're a fan of Austin Wintory's music, his song alone is worth the price of admission.
  3. Nov 9, 2013
    If you enjoy music&rhythm platformers, then Beatbuddy will offer you more than 5 hours of gaming in a sea of electronic music.