Betrayer PC

7.3

1. Mar 26, 2014
    This game is like Marmite. You will either love it, or utterly hate it.
    When initially presented with a largely monochrome menu screen with the exception of a red face on a post, I was a little put off. I hadn't seen reviews of this on Youtube, or any trailers. It threw me. A lot.
    This game is like Marmite. You will either love it, or utterly hate it.
    After about five minutes playing in a generally monochrome setting, I got tired of it and tried to change the graphics options and sure enough, was presented with a means to give the playing field a lot more colour and a lot more life of which this game is otherwise entirely void of except for deadly spaniard spirits and a woman doing her best to resemble a grown up Red Riding Hood
    I've found the gameplay thus far massively frustrating. The colour scheme of the hud doesn't match well with the environment of the play itself - with white being the same colour as the clouds, it's hard to determine the direction of noises when a block either side of the compass bar is generally masked by white cloud. So you're still none the wiser about what direction to go in unless you're hiding in the shadows of a tree.
    Combat is woefully punishing. This game FORCES you to play carefully and quietly. In some ways this would be a good thing, but it's not. I think it takes a lot of the "fun" factor out of the game. You have one central base in which to return, only two swigs of some kind of healing liquid to patch your health back up to 100% - and within a couple of always ruthlessly accurate shots, you've used those two gulps and find yourself having to either find another source for that liquid or having to traipse back to Fort Henry just to resupply for health alone. It's remarkably tedious, and you most likely *will* have to take the latter of those options just to be able to actually get anywhere.
    For some reason the sound is a little confusing - the audio quality needed fine tuning here - I've heard better sound engineering from Ubisoft and the like, but it still did the job. The noises though can be particularly unpleasant on the ears with the wind, the bells, the whole nine yards - if you have sensitive hearing, which can be caused by all manner of tricky issues with ears, this is not one of those games with which to wear earphones.
    It's a little bit of fun in very small doses, but the dangerously (and historically unbelievably) accurate musket fire of long distance contacts makes this game remarkably unrewarding, no matter how patient I may be, this in turn makes it impossible to keep wanting to play it for extended periods of time after the third or fourth trip back to base to get resupplied and the like.
    It's certainly original in many respects, but originality is not always the hallmark of quality, and there are some aspects of this game in which it seems to be missing that little bit of finesse in it's final production.
    A risky purchase for any gamer I reckon, and those who gave it 10 out of 10 are either remarkably tolerant and forgiving, or just really liked the game - for reasons I doubt I could fathom.This is not one of those games I would absolutely recommend to just anyone. This one will definitely be appreciated only by those who have "acquired" tastes.
  2. Mar 27, 2014
    Ever wondered what it would be like playing in a Ben Wheatley cult British horror movie? Well this comes pretty close.
    You play as a shipwreck survivor in the 17th century exploring your new environment. Pretty soon it becomes clear that there are supernatural forces at large, and various sub plots clues and locations begin to unravel the story of what befell the settlers.
    Like your
    Like your character, we the player are left to our own devices. There is no training level or hand holding, it is you, alone, with only the wind trees rocks and birdsong for company.
    Upon death there is the "Demon Souls"frustration of having to clear an entire area again of respawned enemy in order to reclaim your hard worked loot , but despite this and the fairly repetitive "crouch sneak kill" combat Betrayer is compelling enough to draw you back in for one more go.
    Aesthetic Art work and graphics are what make this unique title. Now you will have to excuse me , the Island calls me again, what grizzly supernatural forces await me I cannot tell, it will not be pretty but I am compelled to go...that wind..there is something in that wind...
  3. Sep 19, 2014
    Thoroughly enjoyed this. Great narrative and atmosphere combine to make this highly enjoyable with a pretty sold FPS combat involved as well. The game can at times become slight repetitive when looking for information and locations but the story and atmosphere pull you through.
  4. Mar 27, 2014
    Pros-
    +Phenomenal art style
    +The player's choice of Black & White or Color +Exhilarating and hard gameplay +Gameplay consists of Melee, Tomahawk, Pistol, Musket, and Bow & Arrow +Intriguing concepts +Interesting mix of genres +Immersive environments and sound effects +Nice lore and world Cons- -Repetitive combat -Empty world -No voice acting -Bland environments -Bland/
    Pros-
    +Phenomenal art style
    +The player's choice of Black & White or Color
    +Exhilarating and hard gameplay
    +Gameplay consists of Melee, Tomahawk, Pistol, Musket, and Bow & Arrow
    +Intriguing concepts
    +Interesting mix of genres
    +Immersive environments and sound effects
    +Nice lore and world

Cons-
    -Repetitive combat
    -Empty world
    -No voice acting
    -Bland environments
    -Bland/ Boring characters

Overall score: 7/10; a great achievement in art direction in video games, and overall great immersion and gameplay but falls short with boring characters and repetitive environments
  5. May 17, 2015
    The artistic style - and especially the sound (there is not too much actually - and the sound itself is not of astonishing quality - but the effect of it is still great) are amazing. I do not want to use the term "amazing" lightly - but rarely have i played a game where i actually felt "alone". This is caused by some effects that seem to trigger such emotions - at least for me. (the wind,The artistic style - and especially the sound (there is not too much actually - and the sound itself is not of astonishing quality - but the effect of it is still great) are amazing. I do not want to use the term "amazing" lightly - but rarely have i played a game where i actually felt "alone". This is caused by some effects that seem to trigger such emotions - at least for me. (the wind, the sound of the grass etc. )

The game itself is - well.. lets be honest .. pretty lame. There are some rather simple puzzles - if one can call them that ... and a few ghostly enemies that are seriously lacking some brains. Then there is a story that does not quite work very well in terms of storytelling. - oh and it is also not very creative.
  6. Apr 17, 2016
    This is an exploration game where you have to fight a lot with ancient weapons. The settings is an abandoned 17th century colony at the coastline where some horrible things have happened. This game is very atmospheric and spooky. The quests can be tough, since clues are scarce and not always obvious. Also you have to do some backtracking in the end; luckily when no enemy is a real threatThis is an exploration game where you have to fight a lot with ancient weapons. The settings is an abandoned 17th century colony at the coastline where some horrible things have happened. This game is very atmospheric and spooky. The quests can be tough, since clues are scarce and not always obvious. Also you have to do some backtracking in the end; luckily when no enemy is a real threat anymore. The game is default black and white but you can turn on some colors. Recommended. Also a game which you will enjoy more afterwards than during game play. Expand
  7. Feb 5, 2016
    Interesting concept, flawed execution. The most striking aspect of the game are its visuals, which already signal that Betrayer is a game that aims to set itself apart from others of the same genre. I suppose it succeeds in that respect, but I wouldn't call Betrayer a good game. The premise is interesting enough, though I feel the story is stretched out a bit too long. I think it would'veInteresting concept, flawed execution. The most striking aspect of the game are its visuals, which already signal that Betrayer is a game that aims to set itself apart from others of the same genre. I suppose it succeeds in that respect, but I wouldn't call Betrayer a good game. The premise is interesting enough, though I feel the story is stretched out a bit too long. I think it would've been beneficial to have the game condensed to a couple hours shorter. It also wouldn't have hurt to see a little more diversity with regards to objectives and environments as the game does become increasingly repetitive towards the second half.

The intended visual effect does appear atmospheric, but is also hard on the eyes. I thought the ideal colour set up included reduced brightness and contrast with a slight tinge of colour. The environments themselves look decent enough, but gun models leave much to be desired. While the gameplay mechanics and UI are solid enough, it's clear that Betrayer is a low budget title with quite a few limitations. Given more resources, I'd be interested in what else Blackpowder Games come up with, as I quite like the artistic direction and 'feel' they seem to be going with their products.

Overall rating - 6.8/10

1. Dec 11, 2014
    An interesting stealth/survival adventure. You can overlook small defects and enjoy the solid gameplay.
  2. Jul 31, 2014
    For the price of £15 you get a game that rewards you with story and atmosphere, albeit a slight lacklustre combat experience and a game that is in need of updates adding more enemies and areas. Is it worth looking at this game? For certain. For me at least there are a number of unanswered questions that I need to resolve.
  3. CD-Action
    Jul 23, 2014
    An interesting experiment that’s only partly successful. Betrayer has its moments but in the long run becomes too repetitive. [06/2014, p.51]