7.3

1. Mar 26, 2014
    This game is like Marmite. You will either love it, or utterly hate it.
    When initially presented with a largely monochrome menu screen with the exception of a red face on a post, I was a little put off. I hadn't seen reviews of this on Youtube, or any trailers. It threw me. A lot.
    This game is like Marmite. You will either love it, or utterly hate it.
    After about five minutes playing in a generally monochrome setting, I got tired of it and tried to change the graphics options and sure enough, was presented with a means to give the playing field a lot more colour and a lot more life of which this game is otherwise entirely void of except for deadly spaniard spirits and a woman doing her best to resemble a grown up Red Riding Hood
    I've found the gameplay thus far massively frustrating. The colour scheme of the hud doesn't match well with the environment of the play itself - with white being the same colour as the clouds, it's hard to determine the direction of noises when a block either side of the compass bar is generally masked by white cloud. So you're still none the wiser about what direction to go in unless you're hiding in the shadows of a tree.
    Combat is woefully punishing. This game FORCES you to play carefully and quietly. In some ways this would be a good thing, but it's not. I think it takes a lot of the "fun" factor out of the game. You have one central base in which to return, only two swigs of some kind of healing liquid to patch your health back up to 100% - and within a couple of always ruthlessly accurate shots, you've used those two gulps and find yourself having to either find another source for that liquid or having to traipse back to Fort Henry just to resupply for health alone. It's remarkably tedious, and you most likely *will* have to take the latter of those options just to be able to actually get anywhere.
    For some reason the sound is a little confusing - the audio quality needed fine tuning here - I've heard better sound engineering from Ubisoft and the like, but it still did the job. The noises though can be particularly unpleasant on the ears with the wind, the bells, the whole nine yards - if you have sensitive hearing, which can be caused by all manner of tricky issues with ears, this is not one of those games with which to wear earphones.
    It's a little bit of fun in very small doses, but the dangerously (and historically unbelievably) accurate musket fire of long distance contacts makes this game remarkably unrewarding, no matter how patient I may be, this in turn makes it impossible to keep wanting to play it for extended periods of time after the third or fourth trip back to base to get resupplied and the like.
    It's certainly original in many respects, but originality is not always the hallmark of quality, and there are some aspects of this game in which it seems to be missing that little bit of finesse in it's final production.
    A risky purchase for any gamer I reckon, and those who gave it 10 out of 10 are either remarkably tolerant and forgiving, or just really liked the game - for reasons I doubt I could fathom.This is not one of those games I would absolutely recommend to just anyone. This one will definitely be appreciated only by those who have "acquired" tastes.
  2. Mar 25, 2014
    When you spend your career giving out 10-out-of-10s in exchange for thousands of dollars, when a truly good game comes around you can't be blamed for missing it. Read the critic reviews at left. What do they say? Aw, it's not call of duty. Aw, I have to take my time to find everything. Aw, I have to walk through the wilderness in a game that takes place in North America in 1600!!!When you spend your career giving out 10-out-of-10s in exchange for thousands of dollars, when a truly good game comes around you can't be blamed for missing it. Read the critic reviews at left. What do they say? Aw, it's not call of duty. Aw, I have to take my time to find everything. Aw, I have to walk through the wilderness in a game that takes place in North America in 1600!!!

These people have been whores for so long they no longer enjoy foreplay. This game is excellent... a great story, VERY challenging combat, and a love of exploration prerequisite.

[PROS]
    - The black-and-white esthetic is beautiful, but replaceable if you're not into that.
    - The storyline is amazing and the characters you meet are written to make you like or hate them -- a lot.
    - The stealth combat is great -- creep into shadows and expect to get owned if you go running at two bad guys like an idiot.
    - Shadows count toward stealth
    - Wind counts toward stealth
    - When you're nearby important items, there are audio cues to draw your attention
    - Four hits and you're dead
    - You are rewarded for exploration
    - You can't lose aggro -- enemies will follow you until either you are dead or they are dead
    - Very simple inventory system; tons of lore and each clue you find is recorded just in case you want to review it later.
    - While sprinting, you never get winded
    - In my opinion, good game length
    - If the combat is too difficult or time consuming, there's a button for that
    - Full rekeybinding with warnings when you unbind a key
    - Audio cues are important, but if that's an issue, there's an option to turn them into visual cues

[CONS]
    - Limited graphics options (no 1080; MAX = 1280x720)
    - There is no warning when you are exploring and walk into an "exit zone" to the next area. So while exploring, you might accidentally leave the area and then have to come back -- which is a pain.
    - FOV slider goes to 110, but it looks very weird visually and really hinders you given how important it is to zoom in to hit targets at range with your bow and arrow.
    - Light refraction off of water is junky
    - Enemies always walk in a triangle, so you can anticipate where they'll be.
    - Enemies occasionally walk on top of a tree
    - Enemies make a huge ruccous when they spawn
    - There's no letter or other device to tell you why you're here at the start of the game. You can piece together the story as you go along, but the first fifteen minutes of the game could be a lot more informative
    - Game is very linear all things considered
    - Each area takes about an hour to fully explore and technically you have to explore them twice (I won't spoil why)
  3. Mar 26, 2014
    Purchased the beta version and watched it's development. I also own several other FPS games and survival/horror games. Betrayer is original and hits the mark. Fantastic. Requires strategy and thought before attacking multiple enemies. Check inventory. You might not be able to make the attempt! Set in colonial times, setting is amazing. I give a 10 seeing metacritic is 7.6. $20Purchased the beta version and watched it's development. I also own several other FPS games and survival/horror games. Betrayer is original and hits the mark. Fantastic. Requires strategy and thought before attacking multiple enemies. Check inventory. You might not be able to make the attempt! Set in colonial times, setting is amazing. I give a 10 seeing metacritic is 7.6. $20 dollar game, but should be more. I would have paid $50. Original. Historical. Attention to most detail. I look forward to a AAA sequel! Expand
  4. Mar 25, 2014
    Dark Souls FPS. Very pretty, satisfying combat, plenty of perks/weapons. Visually atmospheric. Story is genuinely interesting. Enemies are cool.

I turned the colour up by 0.1 and stuck with it. But its fine the way its initially presented. The only reason it loses a point is because it didnt have the budget/Team behind Dark Souls. Play this game for yourself
  5. Mar 25, 2014
    This game is just what any atmospheric storytelling gamer would want. You lead yourself around by listening to clues and dodging creepy enemies whizzing arrows at your head. I am very impressed with the presentation for being both original and creative. A negative reviewer should think about what games they love before they write. I don't personally love arcade side scrollers so I don'tThis game is just what any atmospheric storytelling gamer would want. You lead yourself around by listening to clues and dodging creepy enemies whizzing arrows at your head. I am very impressed with the presentation for being both original and creative. A negative reviewer should think about what games they love before they write. I don't personally love arcade side scrollers so I don't play them. This is a game made for adventure/horror/creative types. Totally sandbox, beautiful art style that keeps your goosebumps on high, and enough weapons/powerups/enemies to keep you playing for hours. To me this was brilliant. A true Gem! Expand
  6. Apr 3, 2014
    It's not a big-budget title, and it might not appeal to everyone, but Betrayer is a fantastic blend of old-school FPS, survival horror, and adventure that oozes atmospheres and creativity. If you think that FPS specifically and games generally have been "dumbed down" for the console generation, you'll appreciate the influence of the developers' experience working on classic PC FPS such asIt's not a big-budget title, and it might not appeal to everyone, but Betrayer is a fantastic blend of old-school FPS, survival horror, and adventure that oozes atmospheres and creativity. If you think that FPS specifically and games generally have been "dumbed down" for the console generation, you'll appreciate the influence of the developers' experience working on classic PC FPS such as NOLF and FEAR. Casual gamers might be turned off by the difficulty and some might take exception to the unique (and slightly controversial) art design, but overall this is a must-buy if you're looking for an alternative to the hand-holding of modern console shooters like Call of Duty.

If your experience with the FPS genre begins and ends with CoD: Modern Warfare or Far Cry 2, this game will come as something of shock. Even on the normal difficulty enemies are challenging, and you can't expect to wade into a group of foes and emerge victorious. There is no cover system, and health doesn't regenerate, so expect to be punished for charging blindly into combat unprepared.

The game's signature art style is also the game's biggest source of complaints. The game is intended to be played in a high-contrast black and white, with red the only visible color. Per the dev team, the point of this is to both disorient the player, making exploration and combat more intense, and emphasize creatures and items of note (which glow a jarring red). Normal colors can be restored in the settings, but this takes a lot of atmosphere out of the game. I found adjusting the black and white levels slightly was an acceptable compromise.

I got in on the Early Access part of the game and have watched it improve over time. The devs were active in the forums and engaged in the community from the get-go, and comments and critiques made in the forums found their way into the final product. It's refreshing to see developers in this day and age actually listen and respond to players in a professional manner, and even more so to see them actively incorporating player concerns and suggestions in the final product. The point of Early Access, i.e. that players can take an active role influencing the development of a game, seems to get lost pretty often, so it's always good to see a dev team using Early Access as more than just a way to get funding.

This game isn't really made to appeal to a wide audience. There are a lot of people who will find it too challenging or will be put off by the lack of eye-candy. For fans of classic FPS, survival horror, and atmosphere, and for "hardcore" gamers, there's a lot of bang for the buck here.
  7. Sep 26, 2013
    One of the most original ideas I have seen in a while with the way the game is presented. The visuals strike a balance between obscure and serene. Must see.
  8. Mar 26, 2014
    Much better than I expected. Don't see what's all the negative critic reviews about.
    The soundscape is amazing in this game. The wind blowing, the lack of music and the subtle sound effects are work well. Instead of a quest arrow, you can listen to a sound when pressing X. This is an awesome mechanic and should be in more games too. The bell and other sound effects in dark world are creepy as hell, just perfect for the game. This game needs to be played with headphones on, otherwise you'll have hard time figuring out where the enemies and objectives are. There is no voice acting, but reading the dialogues is not a problem.

It looks great. Especially the dark world with it's sun shafts and fog-like environment. There isn't many textures, most of the game is just grass, trees, rocks with wooden forts. But they look good. The black&white&red theme works surprisingly well. I had to change the contrast values a little, but the colorless version is unique and really good.

The combat feels pretty bad first, but when you get used to the speed and aim of the bow and remember to use all weapons when fighting it gets pretty solid. Upgrades feel good and are worth the money. Enemy AI isn't the best, but good enough to provide a challenging gameplay.

Good little game. Doesn't feel like totally polished, full game, but you can see that from the price tag. Definetly worth getting, at least from a sale if you're interested.
  9. Mar 27, 2014
    Ever wondered what it would be like playing in a Ben Wheatley cult British horror movie? Well this comes pretty close.
    You play as a shipwreck survivor in the 17th century exploring your new environment. Pretty soon it becomes clear that there are supernatural forces at large, and various sub plots clues and locations begin to unravel the story of what befell the settlers.
    Like your
    Like your character, we the player are left to our own devices. There is no training level or hand holding, it is you, alone, with only the wind trees rocks and birdsong for company.
    Upon death there is the "Demon Souls"frustration of having to clear an entire area again of respawned enemy in order to reclaim your hard worked loot , but despite this and the fairly repetitive "crouch sneak kill" combat Betrayer is compelling enough to draw you back in for one more go.
    Aesthetic Art work and graphics are what make this unique title. Now you will have to excuse me , the Island calls me again, what grizzly supernatural forces await me I cannot tell, it will not be pretty but I am compelled to go...that wind..there is something in that wind...
  10. Mar 27, 2014
    It's an interesting mixture of Stalker, FEAR and Thief. If you like hand-holding and constant spoon-fed exposition, go play something else.
    If you like an eerie and unique adventure that embraces a sense of discovery and mystery that keeps you wondered and engaged in creative ways throughout the entire game, then do yourself a favor and buy it.
  11. Mar 31, 2014
    A refreshingly new visual take with emphasis on exploration and stealth. Creative writing went into this story and characters. I hate how people whined about the black and white atmosphere so much the devs made color an option as there's a REASON for this, but respect them for doing so to cater to the gamer. The presentation is fresh and relative enough to keep you enjoying it throughoutA refreshingly new visual take with emphasis on exploration and stealth. Creative writing went into this story and characters. I hate how people whined about the black and white atmosphere so much the devs made color an option as there's a REASON for this, but respect them for doing so to cater to the gamer. The presentation is fresh and relative enough to keep you enjoying it throughout the game. Very easy to be overwhelmed if you run and aggro too many enemies. Awesome visual and audio cues will make clue you in to your exploration rewards. Fairly difficult default gameplay, in that if you just charge into 3 enemies you WILL die. Overall I loved the game and can't wait to see what they come up with next. Expand
  12. Sep 19, 2014
    Thoroughly enjoyed this. Great narrative and atmosphere combine to make this highly enjoyable with a pretty sold FPS combat involved as well. The game can at times become slight repetitive when looking for information and locations but the story and atmosphere pull you through.
  13. Jun 25, 2014
    I recently picked this one up after having held off on buying it for a few months. This is more of an experimental game, toying with different gameplay and storytelling concepts. This is the definition of an immersive experience, building on very quiet natural sound design and relying on player agency for exploring the world. Now this game is definitely not for everyone ( ala this game isI recently picked this one up after having held off on buying it for a few months. This is more of an experimental game, toying with different gameplay and storytelling concepts. This is the definition of an immersive experience, building on very quiet natural sound design and relying on player agency for exploring the world. Now this game is definitely not for everyone ( ala this game is really divisive). For some the visual style can be visually confusing, the sound design can be a little too barren (albeit intentionally), and the gameplay can get a little stale. Personally I thought the sound design fit the experience impecably and I fell in love with the visual style to the point where my entire 15 hours was spent in that visual styling without any issues. I also found myself enjoying this game mainly because of the open exploration this game offers. If wandering around a field looking for different secrets and objectives, while navigating the game's deadly enemies sounds like a good time, this game might be for you.... Expand
  14. Mar 27, 2014
    Pros-
    +Phenomenal art style
    +The player's choice of Black & White or Color +Exhilarating and hard gameplay +Gameplay consists of Melee, Tomahawk, Pistol, Musket, and Bow & Arrow +Intriguing concepts +Interesting mix of genres +Immersive environments and sound effects +Nice lore and world Cons- -Repetitive combat -Empty world -No voice acting -Bland environments -Bland/
    Pros-
    +Phenomenal art style
    +The player's choice of Black & White or Color
    +Exhilarating and hard gameplay
    +Gameplay consists of Melee, Tomahawk, Pistol, Musket, and Bow & Arrow
    +Intriguing concepts
    +Interesting mix of genres
    +Immersive environments and sound effects
    +Nice lore and world

Cons-
    -Repetitive combat
    -Empty world
    -No voice acting
    -Bland environments
    -Bland/ Boring characters

Overall score: 7/10; a great achievement in art direction in video games, and overall great immersion and gameplay but falls short with boring characters and repetitive environments
  15. Nov 13, 2014
    the average score of 7,3 is ridiculous. as far as i can see there are 14 8-10 critics and just one yellow. there are no negative critics which are listed top as thirten negative critics. however, the game is awesome. first 3d horror shooter which uses dolby surround to show the path to the places where youve gotta go. great work. just not well bribed critics. but who cares.
  16. Nov 3, 2014
    Betrayer is sort of unique, but at the same time it's familiar. It's definitely a solid game. I've encountered few if any glitches or bugs. The combat is satisfying and there are a number of weapons and ways to take down your enemies. The environment is deeply immersive, and the story is interesting enough for you to care about it. I found myself exploring the island for no reasonBetrayer is sort of unique, but at the same time it's familiar. It's definitely a solid game. I've encountered few if any glitches or bugs. The combat is satisfying and there are a number of weapons and ways to take down your enemies. The environment is deeply immersive, and the story is interesting enough for you to care about it. I found myself exploring the island for no reason whatsoever, but that's not a bad thing. Recommended! Expand

1. Dec 11, 2014
    An interesting stealth/survival adventure. You can overlook small defects and enjoy the solid gameplay.
  2. Jul 31, 2014
    For the price of £15 you get a game that rewards you with story and atmosphere, albeit a slight lacklustre combat experience and a game that is in need of updates adding more enemies and areas. Is it worth looking at this game? For certain. For me at least there are a number of unanswered questions that I need to resolve.
  3. Jul 23, 2014
    An interesting experiment that’s only partly successful. Betrayer has its moments but in the long run becomes too repetitive. [06/2014, p.51]