Mar 25, 2014When you spend your career giving out 10-out-of-10s in exchange for thousands of dollars, when a truly good game comes around you can't be blamed for missing it. Read the critic reviews at left. What do they say? Aw, it's not call of duty. Aw, I have to take my time to find everything. Aw, I have to walk through the wilderness in a game that takes place in North America in 1600!!!
These people have been whores for so long they no longer enjoy foreplay. This game is excellent... a great story, VERY challenging combat, and a love of exploration prerequisite.
- The black-and-white esthetic is beautiful, but replaceable if you're not into that.
- The storyline is amazing and the characters you meet are written to make you like or hate them -- a lot.
- The stealth combat is great -- creep into shadows and expect to get owned if you go running at two bad guys like an idiot.
- Shadows count toward stealth
- Wind counts toward stealth
- When you're nearby important items, there are audio cues to draw your attention
- Four hits and you're dead
- You are rewarded for exploration
- You can't lose aggro -- enemies will follow you until either you are dead or they are dead
- Very simple inventory system; tons of lore and each clue you find is recorded just in case you want to review it later.
- While sprinting, you never get winded
- In my opinion, good game length
- If the combat is too difficult or time consuming, there's a button for that
- Full rekeybinding with warnings when you unbind a key
- Audio cues are important, but if that's an issue, there's an option to turn them into visual cues
- Limited graphics options (no 1080; MAX = 1280x720)
- There is no warning when you are exploring and walk into an "exit zone" to the next area. So while exploring, you might accidentally leave the area and then have to come back -- which is a pain.
- FOV slider goes to 110, but it looks very weird visually and really hinders you given how important it is to zoom in to hit targets at range with your bow and arrow.
- Light refraction off of water is junky
- Enemies always walk in a triangle, so you can anticipate where they'll be.
- Enemies occasionally walk on top of a tree
- Enemies make a huge ruccous when they spawn
- There's no letter or other device to tell you why you're here at the start of the game. You can piece together the story as you go along, but the first fifteen minutes of the game could be a lot more informative
- Game is very linear all things considered
- Each area takes about an hour to fully explore and technically you have to explore them twice (I won't spoil why)… Expand
Mar 26, 2014Purchased the beta version and watched it's development. I also own several other FPS games and survival/horror games. Betrayer is original and hits the mark. Fantastic. Requires strategy and thought before attacking multiple enemies. Check inventory. You might not be able to make the attempt! Set in colonial times, setting is amazing. I give a 10 seeing metacritic is 7.6. $20 dollar game, but should be more. I would have paid $50. Original. Historical. Attention to most detail. I look forward to a AAA sequel!… Expand
Mar 25, 2014Dark Souls FPS. Very pretty, satisfying combat, plenty of perks/weapons. Visually atmospheric. Story is genuinely interesting. Enemies are cool.
I turned the colour up by 0.1 and stuck with it. But its fine the way its initially presented. The only reason it loses a point is because it didnt have the budget/Team behind Dark Souls. Play this game for yourself
Mar 25, 2014This game is just what any atmospheric storytelling gamer would want. You lead yourself around by listening to clues and dodging creepy enemies whizzing arrows at your head. I am very impressed with the presentation for being both original and creative. A negative reviewer should think about what games they love before they write. I don't personally love arcade side scrollers so I don't play them. This is a game made for adventure/horror/creative types. Totally sandbox, beautiful art style that keeps your goosebumps on high, and enough weapons/powerups/enemies to keep you playing for hours. To me this was brilliant. A true Gem!… Expand
Mar 27, 2014It's an interesting mixture of Stalker, FEAR and Thief. If you like hand-holding and constant spoon-fed exposition, go play something else.
If you like an eerie and unique adventure that embraces a sense of discovery and mystery that keeps you wondered and engaged in creative ways throughout the entire game, then do yourself a favor and buy it.
Mar 31, 2014A refreshingly new visual take with emphasis on exploration and stealth. Creative writing went into this story and characters. I hate how people whined about the black and white atmosphere so much the devs made color an option as there's a REASON for this, but respect them for doing so to cater to the gamer. The presentation is fresh and relative enough to keep you enjoying it throughout the game. Very easy to be overwhelmed if you run and aggro too many enemies. Awesome visual and audio cues will make clue you in to your exploration rewards. Fairly difficult default gameplay, in that if you just charge into 3 enemies you WILL die. Overall I loved the game and can't wait to see what they come up with next.… Expand
Nov 13, 2014the average score of 7,3 is ridiculous. as far as i can see there are 14 8-10 critics and just one yellow. there are no negative critics which are listed top as thirten negative critics. however, the game is awesome. first 3d horror shooter which uses dolby surround to show the path to the places where youve gotta go. great work. just not well bribed critics. but who cares.
Jul 31, 2014For the price of £15 you get a game that rewards you with story and atmosphere, albeit a slight lacklustre combat experience and a game that is in need of updates adding more enemies and areas. Is it worth looking at this game? For certain. For me at least there are a number of unanswered questions that I need to resolve.