Beyond Good & Evil PC

8.7

1. Aug 12, 2012
    A truly great adventure! This game isn't perfect - but it offered me the best experience that I probably ever had with a game. Pretty much each year I go back and play it again. While I've played many excellent games that I've really enjoyed, I can't name many that I would regularly return to. I would even dare to go that far to say that this game shoud appeal to almost anyone - try itA truly great adventure! This game isn't perfect - but it offered me the best experience that I probably ever had with a game. Pretty much each year I go back and play it again. While I've played many excellent games that I've really enjoyed, I can't name many that I would regularly return to. I would even dare to go that far to say that this game shoud appeal to almost anyone - try it yourself. (And buy it, this is perfect example where bad sales, although primarily caused by bad advertising by ubisoft, caused the game sequet to be delayed more than ten years!) Expand
  2. Jul 10, 2011
    This game is a rarity. It defies many game stereo types without being something so far out there and strange that no one wants to play it. The main character is a female who actually wears cloths and is a living breathing character with depth, motives and her own perspective. Not, like many video game female characters, who are created to be saved or gawked at. The others characters areThis game is a rarity. It defies many game stereo types without being something so far out there and strange that no one wants to play it. The main character is a female who actually wears cloths and is a living breathing character with depth, motives and her own perspective. Not, like many video game female characters, who are created to be saved or gawked at. The others characters are also fantastic. The game has a lot of variety and all the attempted game mechanics work well for the most part. A very well written story that is in some ways parallel to current events and different views of events that we see today.
    The art style is fantastic making you look past polygons. I recommend it highly.
  3. Jul 23, 2012
    A masterpiece; no other word could convey the breathtaking setting, the compelling characters, the bliss in gameplay, the variety of the experience, the tightness of the plot, the challenge of the puzzles, the thrill of the stealth, the amount of sidetracking, the pleasure of exploration and the feel that everything was just at the right place.
    I am just sad that I wasn't aware of this
    I am just sad that I wasn't aware of this game before, but when such detail is poured into a game it always ages perfectly; a true classic that everyone who likes gaming has to try out. Definitely hundredfold better than all the games I tried in this generation.
  4. Feb 23, 2013
    When I was like 6, I got my dad to buy me a copy of this as it looked awesome.
    Then I installed it, and started playing it but since my English sucked, I could barely realize what was going on and figured I'd just give up.
    But I always remembered how brilliant it seemed, and how amazing the world looked. So when I was looking through my old discs like 2 years ago and found this, I
    When I was like 6, I got my dad to buy me a copy of this as it looked awesome.
    So when I was looking through my old discs like 2 years ago and found this, I immediately installed it and I'm so glad I did.
    Michel Ancel is the most brilliant man in the video gaming industry in my opinion the atmosphere of this game and of Rayman 2 are just amazing. The plot is great, the characters very likable, the atmosphere world so immersing and beautiful...
    Highly recommended =]
    Can't wait for BG&E2.
  5. VoltFox
    Jan 22, 2004
    This game is just PERFECT, everything feels right while the game is not that extraordinary, but every aspect of the game fits in the game just right. The story is driven by a really good characters personality, I totally recommend this game to everybody every age, I trully enjoy from the 5 minutes i started playing till the end, I never enjoy a game this much before, I hope they already This game is just PERFECT, everything feels right while the game is not that extraordinary, but every aspect of the game fits in the game just right. The story is driven by a really good characters personality, I totally recommend this game to everybody every age, I trully enjoy from the 5 minutes i started playing till the end, I never enjoy a game this much before, I hope they already planning for the 2nd because so many things that has not been answered in the game. Expand
  6. Tony
    Feb 22, 2004
    An excellent game.Its really fun to play.You play as Jade who is a reporter and she has to find out why the Alpha Sections are not helping their planet Hillys because everytime the Domz strike their planet,they never help so its up to Jade to find the truth.Its very fun to play and the music is great too.The puzzles are creative.Not that easy and not frustating either.Its just...really An excellent game.Its really fun to play.You play as Jade who is a reporter and she has to find out why the Alpha Sections are not helping their planet Hillys because everytime the Domz strike their planet,they never help so its up to Jade to find the truth.Its very fun to play and the music is great too.The puzzles are creative.Not that easy and not frustating either.Its just...really fun.Graphics are beautiful,especially looking at Jade's emotions. The puzzles,as I said are creative and fun but they do seem to repeat themselves so it is kind of repetitous but its still very intense.The camera seems to speed around a lot and Beyond Good and Evil is a tad short.Casual gamers can beat this game in around 15-20 hours whereas experienced gamers can beat this under 12 hours but still,those were the greatest 15 hours I have ever played.I highly recommend this game to everyone! It did have low sales but that doesn't mean its a great game overall.Pick it up before they remove it off the shelves!! Expand
  7. Rococo
    Jan 21, 2004
    E X C E L L E N T The graphics are beautiful, the music is an A+. But the best of all is the characters personality, you just love them. And the story is really good.
  8. RichardK
    Jul 25, 2009
    A great game that got released at the wrong time. Great ideas, great characters, excellent story, and fun gameplay. Has flying, driving, shooting, puzzle solving, fighting, everything. Most importantly a great story.
  9. Oct 10, 2010
    This a fantastic game, one of my favourite ever. It is perfectly made- amazing settings, great characters and really good story. The way it is made is also amazing- some games would just have given you a gun with the aim of killing everything insight, but in Beyond Good & Evil your best weapon is your camera with the aim of taking pictures to reveal the government conspiracy. HighlyThis a fantastic game, one of my favourite ever. It is perfectly made- amazing settings, great characters and really good story. The way it is made is also amazing- some games would just have given you a gun with the aim of killing everything insight, but in Beyond Good & Evil your best weapon is your camera with the aim of taking pictures to reveal the government conspiracy. Highly recommended. Expand
  10. Apr 5, 2012
    A cult classic. Still one of the most original and underrated games. It delivers a great story, fun quests and a lot of content. The soundtrack is amazing and the graphics are still pretty good. Sneaking can still be frustrating and combat isn't very challenging or rewarding. Get this game now if you haven't played it.
  11. Jul 16, 2012
    This is simply one of the best games I've ever played. It perfectly combines a variety of video games genres in a great way. When I played it I had a fantastic experience that is unforgettable. I can't wait to see the second part.
  12. Jan 8, 2013
    i would definitely put this game in my top 5 because of the fact that it never gets old. i've played this game over so many times and each time feels even better than the last. the immersive scenery and sounds effects make the game more then worth it to play over again. if you're someone who likes action/adventure games then you would be a fool not to try this one.
  13. Mar 23, 2014
    It seems that a minority still want to view this game as "greater" than the sum of its parts, but never seem to address the problems that individually tear this game to pieces. Obviously when you shoe horn in a lot unfinished mechanics with a decent storyline, a unique visual design of characters within said plot, and nice setting to have it all take place in, you're hedging your betsIt seems that a minority still want to view this game as "greater" than the sum of its parts, but never seem to address the problems that individually tear this game to pieces. Obviously when you shoe horn in a lot unfinished mechanics with a decent storyline, a unique visual design of characters within said plot, and nice setting to have it all take place in, you're hedging your bets that the positives outweigh the negatives. In this instance however, their is a constant subtle effect of negative outweighing the positive throughout. From the horrid camera controls, fixed camera angles, woefully terrible combat, woefully goofy artificial intelligence, the utterly boring races, the collect-athon photography mini-game, (that I should remind everyone has no bearing on the plot after the first "Domz" attack) the bizarre characters that grew obnoxious even after the first twelve times they uttered dialogue and the main character herself feeling more fleshed out than any other half-baked concepts in the game. Playing through the game so long after release allows players now to isolate the "bad" and see if its possible to push through till the end of the game hoping that all they've put up with will be rewarded. Which never happens. The game ends with a whimper and a completely unnecessary cliff hanger. Given the time of its release, I can see why many would sympathize with the title having received "less then" the right amount of attention or respect, but the painful truth is that it "didn't" revolutionize any mechanics. It borrowed more from older mechanics, half-assed those, and was then laden with a mystical sort of reputation as "the game that didn't sell well." I think after all this time it'd be a bit obvious why of course. Their were things in this game that didn't work. Stealth sections were embarrassingly dull and simple. Drawn out to the point of tedium, lacking any real complexity most times. The player faced no serious peril or repercussions from dying at any point in the game and merely had to sit around for about ten seconds after Jades slow-motion, cinematic, and ultimately pointlessly received "death-blow." The minor characters are barely made relevant as well since the plot is immediately thrown on top of you after the first "mission" of the game. It draws you in a bit and then it just goes nowhere. Nowhere but clear cut, no choice, linear pathways through the rest of the game and story. The dialogue is rough as well, featuring fairly inconsistent performances in a game all about characterizing the main characters and even Jade fails to sound committed or merely concerned about anything going on. She doesn't ask questions, she's just like "Rebels good, Empire bad." Its a tired, old, mangy, dead horse of a concept and their is no build-up aside from the introduction, the brief fight at the beginning so that players could familiarize themselves with the simplistic combat system, and a very light explanation for all of it one to two hours into the story. Their is no excuse for the barrage of silly side quests that merely slowed down the main quest and it destroyed any feeling of urgency when a supposed side-character is in trouble, only for Jade to be out hunting "pearls" to fix up a Hovercraft for optional racing side-quests. Everything in this game aside from the world, setting and visual style seems to have received more effort than anything else. Why is Jade a cardboard cut-out? Why do other characters seem utterly pointless upon first meeting and subsequent meetings afterwards? Why are we thrust into these linear and boring areas of the game when the initial starting points seem so large and varied? Alpha Section must be paying quite a bit on their electric bill to keep all these lasers going, I mean I haven't seen this many lasers shoved into level design since Rayman 2. Which isn't even a slam on Rayman 2. That game had brilliant level design and is in many ways very similar to Beyond Good & Evil. The problem here was these tiny boxes of levels that Jade was shoved into, only for the player to realize after they were over: "Wow, without all those switches, stealth sections, forced fighting sections, photo-sessions, and brief cinematics, that wouldn't have taken very much time at all." Which is the point, everything done to frustrate the player, through "so simple you feel like an idiot" puzzle solutions, to the cramped level design, you start to get the feeling that this was all just a vehicle to tell the story. Which is a terrible feeling. As cinematic "experiences" games fall flat in almost every regard. Its not what their about. Beyond Good & Evil tried to balance the two and failed. Its eleven years later and it has completely failed to grab me or immerse me into its world through its broken mechanics, poor design, and lackluster characters. I can't believe people still call this game "underrated." Expand
  14. Mar 14, 2014
    This is an original story and setting, but the gameplay is atrocious. The camera is the worst part of all, it often will force your perspective to change, so you are disoriented. And you often can't reorient the camera, you're stuck with a fixed perspective.

I did enjoy the first parts of the game a lot. I like the boar uncle "Pey'j", the cartoony soldier/friend double-H, and the overall setting. The story was interesting. The music and voiceacting are good. I really liked the Rhinocerious mechanics at "Mammago" garage and the other cartoony animals like the friendly bull bartender. The world itself was chaming, though it was very very limited.

The game is from 2003 so I don't expect open-world, but when I got my spaceship I could only fly a few seconds in each direction before I was "out of bounds" and forced to turn around. Incredibly limited and linear. There's no exploration of the city, just a handful of streets you can walk down.

I got much of the way through the game, but eventually gave up out of boredom. I couldn't stand any more. The camera controls were unacceptable, and the repetitive "patrolling guards" puzzles were more than I could stand in the end.
  15. Oct 15, 2011
    This is a fun adventure game actually but the annoying controls ruin it completely. At various points, you lose the ability to control where you are looking and just have a fixed view, or have a changing view that the game controls instead of you. Sometimes those weird camera views make me dizzy. And even worse the direction keys are tied to view, so sometimes w is forward and sometimes itThis is a fun adventure game actually but the annoying controls ruin it completely. At various points, you lose the ability to control where you are looking and just have a fixed view, or have a changing view that the game controls instead of you. Sometimes those weird camera views make me dizzy. And even worse the direction keys are tied to view, so sometimes w is forward and sometimes it is sideways and sometimes it is back. I can not recommend this game on PC, maybe console version is better. Expand
  16. Nov 3, 2012
    Beyond Good & Evil to be played at its best, requires a gamepad and if like me you do not have one, soon you will become crazy. Besides this seems to be a good game, maybe the graphics are a little heavy.
  17. GertK.
    Apr 7, 2006
    Beautifully crafted and fun to play. The story is engrossing. Highly recommended for its blend between adventure and action.
  18. AlanB.
    Jul 26, 2007
    Very good game, but not without its faults. With no mouse Y invert (well okay, there IS one but it resets itself as soon as you use photo mode so it's basically useless), and some pretty awful controls both for the third-person camera and the in-game menus, the game is quick to betray its "shabby console port" origins. It's also not very long and the ending is dissapointing and Very good game, but not without its faults. With no mouse Y invert (well okay, there IS one but it resets itself as soon as you use photo mode so it's basically useless), and some pretty awful controls both for the third-person camera and the in-game menus, the game is quick to betray its "shabby console port" origins. It's also not very long and the ending is dissapointing and tiresomely cliched, with some final twists (one after the end credits) that will have you groaning in disbelief as to how the scriptwriters could possibly be any more lame and predicatable. Also the game has essentially zero replay value - once you've been through the ride once you're probably not going to want to do it all a second time. A "grand theft auto" style mode where you could go back to the gameworld and finish the side-quests after the main one was complete (like the photo-collection which is arguably by far the most fun part of the game) would have been welcome. Having said all these negative things, don't get the wrong idea, I had a great time with this. It's a fun ride while it lasts and the fact that all the above problems can't sink the game in the final analysis indicates just how strong the raw material is. You'll definitely feel a bit dissapointed when it's over, but until then it's some of the best 12-15 hours of gaming on offer lately. Expand
  19. SampaG
    Mar 17, 2009
    By far one of the best video games I played in the last 20 years. A beautiful artistic visual and acoustic presentation, very well designed interface and handling, a long lasting gameplay with many secrets, interesting sublevels and a wonderful story with great characters. This game is a highly recommended gem.
  20. MattL
    Jun 4, 2009
    Great game. Not too deep, but thoroughly enjoyable (except for some annoying minigames). Probably it's best feature by far, is the amazing soundtrack, which is easily good enough to go out and download separately. It's major fault is that the camera is just terrible at some points, but luckily not to the point of impossible playing.
  21. MrMiddleAge
    Jan 24, 2004
    Amazing production, visuals, voice acting, good story. It's very family-oriented, and is suitable for younger children. It's unbearably cute, and all combat is fairly easy and doesn't require hardcore gaming skills. Great for the family, really. Cutest game ever.
    Feb 8, 2009
    Superb game, highly underrated, should've been the Game of the Year for 2003. Lovable characters, fun gameplay, emotional storyline, lots of diversity and takes place on a world on which you will fall in love. It's pure sadness that so many people played this game, only made good by the promise that its sequel is in development.
  23. JeremyC
    Jan 15, 2010
    An incredible game; shows it's age, but I regret never having played this until now. The story is a little confusing, and a little light on details, but it's very well acted and told. The gameplay is top notch, and the supporting characters are some of the best I've seen.
  24. MatthewC
    Mar 17, 2009
    Brilliant game with a perfect mix of platforming, action and stealth, including well developed racing and flying sections. Beautiful modeling of the characters and a good story and satisfying ending really make this one of the best adventure / platform games I've played - as much fun as Psychonauts (another must-buy for lovers of platform action).
  25. Dec 19, 2011
    This game is great ! It´s fun and very adictive, the characters fit into the game...it´s an easy adventurer, made for kids around the age of 12-16 , but it still is nice to play as an adult...although this being a great game, i can only give it 7 points because the pc port is weak...the controls will annoy you more often then you´d like, and this gameThis game is great ! It´s fun and very adictive, the characters fit into the game...it´s an easy adventurer, made for kids around the age of 12-16 , but it still is nice to play as an adult...although this being a great game, i can only give it 7 points because the pc port is weak...the controls will annoy you more often then you´d like, and this game suffers from serious graphic bugs because a lot of newer graphic cards don´t want to ru it properly...catch a console version, ià Expand
  26. Dec 18, 2013
    It was good in 2003, it is good in 2013. Great characters and story. A rich world that will captivate gamers. This is one of those rare experiences one never forget.
  27. Jul 18, 2013
    It is the most beautiful game I ever played. Try it out! It is a pitty that this game was never in the "Gamecharats" because it is WAY better than at example Oblivion or Black Ops II or any other game.
    For me it is just the best game ever, because I never felt, while finishing the story, this "No-this-cant-be-over" feeling before.
  28. Mar 1, 2014
    This game has a fantastic story, great characters and mean enemies! I like how you can get money and pearls (with interesting "quests"). I can replay it after a long time without getting bored.
  29. Nov 3, 2013
    This game is excellent, the graphics are good, the music is A M A Z I N G. The characters are great and there is excellent story. The world is huge and makes you feel that you actually live there and makes you want more. I played this game more than 20 times, and it looks always different and entertaining. This game is clearly underrated.
  30. Sep 23, 2014
    With most of the Rayman series under my belt, I've grown to be very interested in Michel Ancel's work; as of playing this game, I've now become a fan. BG&E is among the finest games I've played and pulls off the Zelda formula better than most Zelda games I've played. The puzzles: clever and satisfying. The stealth: tense, yet enjoyable. The combat: unique and well-executed. TheWith most of the Rayman series under my belt, I've grown to be very interested in Michel Ancel's work; as of playing this game, I've now become a fan. BG&E is among the finest games I've played and pulls off the Zelda formula better than most Zelda games I've played. The puzzles: clever and satisfying. The stealth: tense, yet enjoyable. The combat: unique and well-executed. The exploration: fun, filled, and rewarding. The presentation: shows age, but emotional. The story: simplistic, but well-written and immersive. The characters: each one endearing. This is Michel Ancel's magnum-opus. I eagerly await a sequel after 10+ years... Expand
  31. Feb 22, 2014
    Still one of the best games for world development flowing from player's actions. It's a thrill seeing the world changes as you gather more evidence about the corruption of the overseers. I really wish more games incorporated this element of game play changing the game world.
  32. May 29, 2015
    One of the best games I've played. This game is so amazing! Take control of Jade, an amateur photographer, and set on the adventure of your lifetime! You'll be taking photos of everything that moves, fighting bad guys, exploring the large world, fighting enemies and bosses, collecting pearls, participating in minigames and races and so much more. The characters are all likeable and uniqueOne of the best games I've played. This game is so amazing! Take control of Jade, an amateur photographer, and set on the adventure of your lifetime! You'll be taking photos of everything that moves, fighting bad guys, exploring the large world, fighting enemies and bosses, collecting pearls, participating in minigames and races and so much more. The characters are all likeable and unique and the whole game is simply charming. You've never played anything like this before (and likely never will apart from this game, as similar games are practically not made). The game is quite long if you want to explore everything and find all the pearls and you will definitely love each minute of it. Both camera and controls are without any serious problems, so there is literally nothing that could ruin the experience for you ... Maybe except the fact that there's still not a sequel out there.

A great mix of platforming, exploring, photography, collecting and combat. The story is deep, the music is great, the characters are likeable and the world is fun to explore. So, do not hesitate any longer and play this game, you won't regret it!
  33. Apr 26, 2015
    I just wish this game would've gotten more attention.

Hopefully they are going to use better marketing strategies for its sequel, which they've announced like 10 years ago.

This is one of the best games I have ever played and it has definitely earned its place in my heart. I still play it today from time to time.
  34. Nov 9, 2015
    It's hard to say who this game was meant for. It looks rather kiddy at first, but deals with some dark themes and plotlines, and also is rather frustratingly difficult at times. In many ways the definition of an award-winning flop, it's got a quirky style to it that you may or may not be on board with. Gameplay consists of platforming (which is solid), combat (which is bland), stealthIt's hard to say who this game was meant for. It looks rather kiddy at first, but deals with some dark themes and plotlines, and also is rather frustratingly difficult at times. In many ways the definition of an award-winning flop, it's got a quirky style to it that you may or may not be on board with. Gameplay consists of platforming (which is solid), combat (which is bland), stealth (which is fun but frustrating), and driving/shooting (which is unpleasant). Nothing in the gameplay really stands out as exceptional, but the world and story are well-realized, even if the plot is sometimes melodramatic.

Flawed, but charming and memorable. It's goofy and creative in its best moments, awkward and sloppy at its worst. There's a lot to like and enjoy, but plenty of moments that left me scratching my head. Difficulty was all over the place, with tricky parts not helped by the camera, but most of it was on the easier side. Despite what it has going against it, the quirkiness and setting were more than enough to drive my curiosity to the ending.

I experienced some minor technical issues, mostly just flickering textures, and a crash or two, but I didn't consider them enough of a bother to stop me from playing. Your experience may vary, as this is known to be somewhat unstable on newer OS's.
  35. Mar 15, 2016
    Early on, I thought I was going to play a masterpiece of adventure, for its world, narration, atmosphere, immersion and various touches of fun.

It could have been brilliant, but it missed the mark, and by a fairly large margin. The original joy turned out to frustration a few hours later because BG&E, which is arcade-heavy, has terrible controls and saves on fixed spots only. After

The original joy turned out to frustration a few hours later because BG&E, which is arcade-heavy, has terrible controls and saves on fixed spots only. After failing the same fast-speed chase sequence 665 times, I had to quit. Call me superstitious. I might have finished it had I possessed a gamepad at the time, but life is too short to be bothered.
  36. Jul 10, 2011

1. Unfortunately, there’s still the irritating third-person camera and chugging graphics to remind you of BGE’s console origins, and it never comes remotely close to justifying the pretentiousness of the title – at a mere 12 hours or so it’s undoubtedly far too short.
  2. If you value story and atmosphere in your games, then you will enjoy the way Beyond Good & Evil transports you into its fantastic world.
  3. I liked the characters, the game sounded and looked good, and the action sequences were challenging without being too challenging.