6.9

1. Feb 20, 2014
    (My weird english vs. Weird game)
    (My weird english vs. Weird game)
    The graphics is pretty good, and the shooting is not bad, but there is no jump button. I can jump.. a weak 5 years old kid can jump. And The Bionic GODD*MN Commando, he can't jump. He is an elite soldier, for god sake! He can't even jump! He need to use his bionic arm, to jump over a simply box! It's.. i mean, what is this? If i want to go through a box, i aint gonna cut off my arm, and swing over it, i just simply gonna do one simply thing: JUMP!
    Trial and error gameplay, frustrating and lame controls..
    Don't buy this.
  2. Jan 8, 2014
    I wanted to like this game but it is killed by the same crappy control scheme that the original NES version was infamous for. Back in those NES glory days, we kids never questioned why a bionic commando would be unable to jump or climb over an obstacle. Now, though, it’s stupid and frustrating.

Many positive reviews celebrate this as being a “hard” game, but all of its difficulty stems from the crappy controls. It shouldn’t be rewarded for bad design. I could get over not being able to jump or climb if the grappling mechanics were smooth and responsive, but they aren’t. They’re clunky & counter intuitive. And this in a game full of instant death areas that oh by the way gives you a certain number of lives to get through each level.

I stopped this after about an hour, once I reached a level with a secret area I could not get into after dying & starting all the way over five times. I knew exactly what I had to do and it wasn’t very complicated, but the controls are so unresponsive it became impossibly hard. Then I thought about how, if I did manage to make it into the secret area, I would have to navigate back out the way I came and survive through the rest of the level and the boss fight. If I ran out of lives before that, I’d have to do the entire level all over again. Who thinks that’s fun?

This game could have been great if they had retooled the grappling system and the level designs. Instead they essentially lifted everything straight from the NES original aside from the graphics. If they weren’t going to update the controls, they should have at least given infinite lives & checkpoints inside levels since the gameplay boils down to tons of trial, error & luck. I bought this during a Steam sale and I regret the purchase. My advice is to get an emulated version of the original NES version. It will give you almost the same experience.
  3. Dec 24, 2013
    Ups i thought i was in the 3D-bionic section when i wrote that earlier review which started like After completing the outstanding 'Bionic Commando: Rearmed', I was eager to see if Grin, the developer, could transfer the swing mechanic into the third-dimension. 8 hours later to beat the game on Hard difficulty, I can confirm they did. No other game does it better, n...."
  4. Oct 17, 2013
    After a tutorial that's approximately as harrowing as being forced to masturbate in a hall of mirrors while clown music is playing and everyone you ever hated is laughing at you, you're transported into a game which sets you as a bionic commando whose bionic powers are so amazing he can't even step over a small breezeblock. Oh, this thing can go STRAIGHT up a weasel's bum!
  5. Oct 16, 2013
    It's a good game! I enjoyed it till the end! The controls felt a bit hard at the beginning, but this can be due to the fact that I never played this game before (the old version). This includes the area selection, I had problem going to 1 diagonal. My last complain is that the game on easy felt a bit difficult, apart from the bosses. But since I haven't played arcade games in a while, thisIt's a good game! I enjoyed it till the end! The controls felt a bit hard at the beginning, but this can be due to the fact that I never played this game before (the old version). This includes the area selection, I had problem going to 1 diagonal. My last complain is that the game on easy felt a bit difficult, apart from the bosses. But since I haven't played arcade games in a while, this can be only my problem.
    Except those little details, I had great fun! I really enjoyed the game, playing with my gf x]
  6. Oct 7, 2013
    Very well remade 8-bit classic. Nice looking 2D world with 3D graphics tons of extra content, and still very challenging gameplay. The only thing that really bugged me though are the frustrating swing controls. Running, shooting, it all works fine as far as platformers go, but swinging with the bionic can be very frustrating at times. Sure it takes a bit of practice to get the hang of itVery well remade 8-bit classic. Nice looking 2D world with 3D graphics tons of extra content, and still very challenging gameplay. The only thing that really bugged me though are the frustrating swing controls. Running, shooting, it all works fine as far as platformers go, but swinging with the bionic can be very frustrating at times. Sure it takes a bit of practice to get the hang of it but even then it's quite easy to make a mistake, a fatal mistake most of the time as you will most likely fall in a hole or on spikes. There are just too many ways of swinging to bind it to just one single button and a thumbstick.
    But even though frustrating at times it's still a quality platformer that is capable of giving you a good fun and a good challange.
  7. Jul 18, 2013
    Bionic Commando Rearmed is a reboot for NES classic Bionic Commando. There are some added features like new graphics and being able to switch weapons easily during missions but the gameplay is pretty much the same as back then. Problem is that I really like the old pixel art and the new "style" doesn't quite fit the atmosphere. It's still definitely a fun and good game but I recommendBionic Commando Rearmed is a reboot for NES classic Bionic Commando. There are some added features like new graphics and being able to switch weapons easily during missions but the gameplay is pretty much the same as back then. Problem is that I really like the old pixel art and the new "style" doesn't quite fit the atmosphere. It's still definitely a fun and good game but I recommend playing the old one on Nintendo or setting up an emulator to enjoy the original experience. Expand
  8. Oct 20, 2011
    simply put, if you like classic games from the NES and SNES era, you will love this game

i would rank it in my top 10 games of this decade, its simple, challenging, yet tirelessly addictive 10/10 for the soundtrack 10/10 for controls 10/10 for overall gameplay graphics imo are nothing special, but what do you expect from a sidescroller? its still very in-keeping with the retro 8-bit

10/10 for the soundtrack

10/10 for controls

10/10 for overall gameplay

graphics imo are nothing special, but what do you expect from a sidescroller? its still very in-keeping with the retro 8-bit theme, but the graphics are obviously far improved

alot of effort went into making this game, and it really shows

not to mention the multiplayer mode! its not the main feature of the game, but get 4 wireless 360 controllers hooked up to your rig and play against your friends, it always results in serious fun :D

and to add an extra challenge to the game, try playing coop on super difficulty! its rediculous!
  9. Apr 10, 2011
    Terrible controls make this game almost unplayable and it takes forever to figure out what to do at boss fights. I would recommend this game only for masochists.
  10. Jan 21, 2011
    Awkward controls, lack of movement options (can only shoot left/right, no jumping) and poor AI. I'm surprised this game got high ratings in this day and age.
  11. TimB
    Sep 20, 2009
    I can't stand doing the same thing over and over and over again. (Esp. if I'm not getting paid for it). This game has awesome music and graphics - but the game-play is horrible. This is a frustrating puzzle game with a combat element tacked on. If you like having to repeat a sequence many times before you can move onto the next sequence - fail - and then have to start right from I can't stand doing the same thing over and over and over again. (Esp. if I'm not getting paid for it). This game has awesome music and graphics - but the game-play is horrible. This is a frustrating puzzle game with a combat element tacked on. If you like having to repeat a sequence many times before you can move onto the next sequence - fail - and then have to start right from the very beginning again - then this is the game for you. The cute graphics and amazing sound track wear off before you complete any given sequence and the control system is awkward - horribly awkward - and unintuative. My advice is read the story on Wikipedia and download the soundtrack off of YouTube - or buy the sound track. The game is teh suck. Expand
  12. QuentinC.
    Jul 29, 2009
    This is one of the best videogame remakes out there. the graphics are amazing and the controls are just like they were on the NES. (with the additonal controls for the new features of course) multiplayer is awesome and is good for hours of fun. and the plot is a nice revamp of the original. the music is AMAZING! and the new powerups and bosses put a nice toutch on a game that was already This is one of the best videogame remakes out there. the graphics are amazing and the controls are just like they were on the NES. (with the additonal controls for the new features of course) multiplayer is awesome and is good for hours of fun. and the plot is a nice revamp of the original. the music is AMAZING! and the new powerups and bosses put a nice toutch on a game that was already awesome. and for the people with " frame skipping" on a computer that supposedly "can play the newest games" i think you need a lesson not only in what makes a good game, but in basic computer skills. Expand
  13. AustinJ
    Nov 19, 2008
    Simply put, I've seen flash or java games play better than this.
  14. shanghaied
    Nov 3, 2008
    It's rare for a remake to simultaneously show due respect to it's origins while making itself relevant in the midst of modern technology and audiences. Bionic Commando rearmed accomplishes both. This is how classic remakes should be done.
  15. slimboyfat06
    Oct 4, 2008
    Not as good as I expected. Am I missing something?
  16. RafaelD.
    Sep 8, 2008
    Great remake , a dream for anyone who enjoy classics , and probably the first NES classic on HD !
  17. JonasT.
    Sep 4, 2008
    The multiplayer for this game is amazing fun, though it's disappointing that there is no online/network play. The singleplayer is a blast and the cheesy storyline works incredibly well. It takes a while to get used to the controls and the lack of a jump but, surprisingly, they actually work to its advantage. I look forward to the inevitable sequel, especially as there was talk it The multiplayer for this game is amazing fun, though it's disappointing that there is no online/network play. The singleplayer is a blast and the cheesy storyline works incredibly well. It takes a while to get used to the controls and the lack of a jump but, surprisingly, they actually work to its advantage. I look forward to the inevitable sequel, especially as there was talk it would include online play. Expand
  18. JohnL.
    Sep 4, 2008
    100% pure enjoyment. Had my misgivings but the the ratings were huge.. so I tried it and I get it. Games don't have to be epic when they are so perfectly realised.
  19. MikeS.
    Aug 31, 2008
    For $15, I expect to have some misgivings, and even some acceptance of fatal flaws. BCR has little of either, it delivered what I wanted and kept what gave the old game it's flair. The music is pretty awesome too. And for a price that competes against it's oldschool predecessor, most 8 Bit Nintendo games were around $20s.
  20. QcChopper
    Aug 31, 2008
    I played and liked the classic NES game so I had to try this game. It's a good game, true to the original with some nice touches. The multiplayer aspect of the game is what does it for me. It's really a blast to play with friends.
  21. OnurB.
    Aug 30, 2008
    I can't believe anyone is giving this thing (I can't call it a game) more than 0. Well maybe it was good in the 60s or 70s , but the controls suck, no story, no fun at all, has very bad graphics and has frame skipping in my computer which can play the newest games. Definitely a zero. I'd rather go play prince of persia, at least it could run on a 386dx. Stay away from this game.
  22. Dmitry.
    Aug 21, 2008
    Pure oldschool fun. Great music. Reminds me of Jets&Guns.
  23. Oct 17, 2013

The soundtrack to Bionic Commando: Rearmed is a fantastic piece of work, a deft contemporary reworking of classic 8-bit NES tunes. In fact, it's so good that Capcom put it up for sale on the iTunes Store months ago to build hype for the game.
    From top to bottom, Bionic Commando Rearmed is an incredible game that's well worth owning.
  3. BCR is at once beautifully reminiscent of its era, and polished enough to be palatable to a modern audience. The core grappling and swinging mechanic is satisfying, the weapons a joy to wield and the levels are imaginatively designed.