Bionic Commando PC

6.8

1. RADS
    Aug 21, 2009
    Excellent sotyline, epic experience, liked the game from the very start to the ending. Game mechanics works like a charm and boss fights were interesting.
  2. WilliamC
    Aug 8, 2009
    I love this game. GRIN have nailed the swinging mechanics and its just a lot of fun to swing around the dilapidated city. The game is pretty linear and there are only a few ways to dispatch of enemies but if you can get past that you will find and amazing game with a great online component. Please buy this game so we can see more like it.
  3. volkano
    Jul 28, 2009
    Nice graphics. not perfect but nice playability. hard to find collectibles. incredibly amazing game menu (i loved it so much). fun and worth to play and buy.
  4. ChrisV
    Aug 4, 2009
    Easily the most fun I have had in a game in a long time. Critics were way too hard on this game, trying to compare it to Rearmed. And if you look at the top critic reviews, none of them mention Rearmed. Morale of the story, its an awesome game if you look past and dont compare it to the old 2D incarnation.
  5. KevinK
    Nov 15, 2009
    The story was, in my opinion, original. I did not expect the ending and though it might not appeal to some audiences, I like to use my imagination and predict what happened next. Also I was just amazed at the fluid and seamless animation of the character swinging at extreme speeds all over the place. It's very awesome to see the realistic physics, GRIN did a great job at the swinging The story was, in my opinion, original. I did not expect the ending and though it might not appeal to some audiences, I like to use my imagination and predict what happened next. Also I was just amazed at the fluid and seamless animation of the character swinging at extreme speeds all over the place. It's very awesome to see the realistic physics, GRIN did a great job at the swinging mechanic. It's true that you have to pause and look up controls for the keyboard in the beginning, since the on-screen instructions show xbox buttons, but after a few minutes you basically got it. There aren't that many buttons to press anyway. I do not understand why people are complaining about the controls and the port to PC. No bugs. Controlling was a piece of cake for me. (I used to play Gunz, a game that requires extreme mouse and keyboard micromanagement) But anyone that considers himself a competitive gamer (or has basic knowledge of where keys are located on a keyboard) can master the controls pretty easily. There are a only few methods to kill enemies (or it may be a lot, my opinion), but that is a good thing. I hated it when games would have a million ways to kill enemies, and I had a hard time choosing and utilizing them all. With this game you can actually be kind of creative with how you can use the skills. Plus it's simply awesome to be swinging cars around and punting them at people. Gameplay was repetitive at times, but it's just so thrilling and dynamic that I never got bored of it. Graphics were beautiful too. Bottom line: for you to enjoy this game properly, you must be able to think fast and aim quick; that's it. Excluding the wasd buttons, there are only about 5 other buttons to worry about (which is very few, compared to other games like Crysis or GTA and etc.). I think this game definitely deserved a better overall score. The efforts gone into this intricate game is amazing. Even the Menu interface is a wonder of computer coding and graphics. Expand
  6. SebastianP
    Aug 22, 2009
    I think it's a great game! The levels are very differently and I had a lot of fun! The bad things of the game is the control and the graphic.
  7. Nov 8, 2012
    The most fun I had in a long while. This game offers an interesting game mechanic that will have you hooked for the whole duration of it. The combination of shooting, swinging and fighting is perfectly balanced and never becomes dull or boring. There are few frustrating spots here and there but nothing that will have you throwing your keyboard against wall. The guys did great PC port whichThe most fun I had in a long while. This game offers an interesting game mechanic that will have you hooked for the whole duration of it. The combination of shooting, swinging and fighting is perfectly balanced and never becomes dull or boring. There are few frustrating spots here and there but nothing that will have you throwing your keyboard against wall. The guys did great PC port which plays wonderfully (can't imagine using controller for some of those harder jumps/swings). I can only recommend this. Expand
  8. Sep 16, 2014
    Got this for 2.99 on STEAM sale...

I was a big fan of Bionic Commando for the NES (how long can you last starting a fight in the demilitarized zone?) and rearmed. I heard this game sucked so I never played it. However, It's a solid action platformer, reminds me a lot of Batman mixed with Darksiders. The action is fun, the boss fights are fun, and flying around takes a bit of practice
    Got this for 2.99 on STEAM sale...

However, It's a solid action platformer, reminds me a lot of Batman mixed with Darksiders. The action is fun, the boss fights are fun, and flying around takes a bit of practice but looks awesome when you pull it off.

That said the inconsistant gravity and weird weapon scanning (weapons do damage before bullets 'hit') makes for some weirdness.

Overall it's a solid game.
  9. Dec 24, 2013
    They did a surprisingly good job executing the grapple arm in a 3D environment. After completing the outstanding 'Bionic Commando: Rearmed', I was eager to see if Grin, the developer, could transfer the swing mechanic into the third-dimension. 8 hours later to beat the game on Hard difficulty, I can confirm they did. No other game does it better, not even the Spider-Man games. There is aThey did a surprisingly good job executing the grapple arm in a 3D environment. After completing the outstanding 'Bionic Commando: Rearmed', I was eager to see if Grin, the developer, could transfer the swing mechanic into the third-dimension. 8 hours later to beat the game on Hard difficulty, I can confirm they did. No other game does it better, not even the Spider-Man games. There is a learning curve due to the free-form nature of the swing mechanic. But once you master it, once you grasp where to attach your grapple, know what point in your swing trajectory to detach your grapple, understand which direction to shift your weight to, and think far ahead to identify your next two or three grapple points, once you master all that will you truly feel like a "rad" Bionic Commando. Expand
  10. May 14, 2014
    Finally learned good targeting in hooking and swinging to target .
    Cool when in came is possible / needed to use mans potential skills ! =))
    FEELS GREAT !
    sometimes u fall and in microsecond your eye catches a target u can hook to, and u graB it and woooooooooooooooww BACK IN THE GAME BABY! =D
  11. Feb 17, 2011
    Thoroughly enjoyed the game play. Interesting interaction with environment and enough weapons to make it a whole bunch of fun. Excellent storyline too, can't wait to play re-armed now.
    Definitely recommended.
  12. Mar 25, 2012
    Very good game. Don't believe the haters. Great sound track and game play with a controller, good graphics. Played this through on the 360 in 2009 loved it. Playing it through on PC in 2012 loving it. Really cheap now.
  13. MaximumL
    Jul 30, 2009
    Anyone here who was thinking of buying this game, BUY IT. It is EASILY the best game of 2009 thus far. Is it repetitive? HECK YEAH. But it is an absolute riot to take down 5 enemies without touching the ground. Boss fights are awesome, and so's the general game. Go and buy it, RIGHT NOW.
  14. mojahed
    Jul 30, 2009
    Awesome gameplay and all . must buy and play.
  15. Oct 22, 2013
    The graphics are OK, except for the serrations. The controls and gameplay are good. Unfortunately, the story is very shallow and the enemies a bit repetitive.
  16. Oct 14, 2013
    Technical Issues[10]
    ------------------------------------
    Over All[7.5]
  17. Aug 10, 2015
    One thing I suspect divides reviewers of this game is whether they remember the original Bionic Commando - if you do, that will set your expectations accordingly and you will go in expecting a platform game with solid weapons where the main fun is in the experience of using/swinging around on the arm, and yes, slightly repetitive gameplay at times. If that is what you are going in for,One thing I suspect divides reviewers of this game is whether they remember the original Bionic Commando - if you do, that will set your expectations accordingly and you will go in expecting a platform game with solid weapons where the main fun is in the experience of using/swinging around on the arm, and yes, slightly repetitive gameplay at times. If that is what you are going in for, this game hits the spot perfectly

If that is *not* what you're expecting, though, it could feel like something of a let-down, because while it starts out looking like a fairly story-driven FPS, runs through the standard Super Soldier stuff like Metal Gear Solid/Rambo/Deus Ex/Commando etc. (you are the ultimate warrior of bygone days, called upong to reluctantly return to service and save the day), it really is just a platformer. I think this could cause some to take a dim view of the game, which is understandable.

Anyway, the whole thing is better than I was led to believe, and is a solidly implemented nod to something *like* the original in 3D. Swing, kill, get out of the line of fire, kill, swing, get a better gun, swing, kill - like spiderman with guns, as a platform game.

Swinging on the arm is done brilliantly, guns work well and you get upgrades regularly (one at a time like the original game, some would have liked to see a pack full of weapons to switch between but in fairness that might not make sense given the character). Boss battles are well done, satisfying and interesting without any of the tedium and brokenness that seems to plague many games' boss battles. There is one possible exception on the boss battles thing, but a) it is spoilerish and b) doesn't ruin the game.

Overall, this platformer scores well. Before you play, watch some videos of the original 2D game and see what you are signing up for - and if you decide to go in knowing that Splinter Cell it ain't, this game is good, solid, old-fashioned fun.

Overall, graphics aren't particularly fabulous, it's a (fairly) repetitive platformer, and nostalgia would not have carried it alone, but it scores an 8/10 from me for one reason, something that is missing so often from games: Playability

1. Despite the not-so-bad first impressions, Bionic Commando is a disappointing game. Linearity is not a drawback by itself, it's more about the way it has been pushed into the game, which often delivers loads of frustration... Long and frequent loading times, lousy A.I., and inaccurate controls just confirm that this is not a Capcom game, but more a Grin one. Let's hope Capcom itself will be on the next RAD Spencer incarnation: all it needs is some polish.
  2. Entertaining, fun action game with a fresh concept, nice graphics and a lot of humor.
  3. You'll have a lot of fun with this new Bionic Commando, but he ultimately plays it safe in his first adventure in twenty years.