6.6

1. Nov 1, 2017
    This game is really pear shaped. For 3/4 of the game you are simply moving way point to way point with no real motivation to continue. You hit each waypoint just hoping for a glimpse of some story line, some excitement, or just something to care about, but it's kind of a snooze until the last quarter of the game where the music starts playing the old themes, you actually get to fight aThis game is really pear shaped. For 3/4 of the game you are simply moving way point to way point with no real motivation to continue. You hit each waypoint just hoping for a glimpse of some story line, some excitement, or just something to care about, but it's kind of a snooze until the last quarter of the game where the music starts playing the old themes, you actually get to fight a real boss and enter a enemy stronghold, then it just ends... It ends with a lot question marks. If it wasn't for the last quarter of the game I'd give it a 7, but the last bit made me love the game enough to get past snoozing through the first 3/4 of it.

The music is wonderful and incorporates the orginal themes which will really get you excited once they start playing. Combat is fun and fluid and incorporates guns and your grappling hook. Instead of discovering secret items to become stronger you complete challenges for more health, faster reload, more armor etc. There are collectables but I recommend skipping them your first play through as the game is slow enough at the beginning. The world you play in is gorgeous and sprawling both horizontally and vertically. The grappling mechanics are fluid and a lot of fun. You can jump of a building and dive to the bottom into a swing or crash into an enemy to kill them. Gravity doesn't hurt you, the only thing that will is water. The gameplay is really really good, it just lacks pacing and story.

I bought this game bundled with bionic commando rearmed on sale for ~$5. I actually like "rearmed" better but if you love the series play them both because it's a cheap bundle that goes on sale often.
  2. Oct 29, 2016
    First of all great performance on PC, secondly absolute lack of options. Even while playing youre being shown Xbox 360 prompts instead of your keyboard bindings. Tho once you remember all the main prompts it not much of a issue and game isnt that long either. Graphics look fine, but nothing out of ordinary, game has some cool lighting and water effects tho. Things like anisotropicFirst of all great performance on PC, secondly absolute lack of options. Even while playing youre being shown Xbox 360 prompts instead of your keyboard bindings. Tho once you remember all the main prompts it not much of a issue and game isnt that long either. Graphics look fine, but nothing out of ordinary, game has some cool lighting and water effects tho. Things like anisotropic filtering or AA will have be enabled from Nvidia control panel or whatever AMD has similiar to that.

Gameplay wise its a bit tricky to learn the controls, but it works pretty fine once you do, even on mouse + kboard and using your hand-grapple hook and swinging around oulling together more and more of them can be very fun. Once you get the sensitivity right shooting guns get very precise.

Story in this game is BLEH, Nathan himself is very boring character and so is supporting cast. Only thing that made me care about whats going on is what happaned to his wife.

In the end an OK action game with cool gimmick, if you got nothing to play and can find this for cheap go ahead.
  3. Sep 1, 2016
  4. Aug 10, 2015
    One thing I suspect divides reviewers of this game is whether they remember the original Bionic Commando - if you do, that will set your expectations accordingly and you will go in expecting a platform game with solid weapons where the main fun is in the experience of using/swinging around on the arm, and yes, slightly repetitive gameplay at times. If that is what you are going in for,One thing I suspect divides reviewers of this game is whether they remember the original Bionic Commando - if you do, that will set your expectations accordingly and you will go in expecting a platform game with solid weapons where the main fun is in the experience of using/swinging around on the arm, and yes, slightly repetitive gameplay at times. If that is what you are going in for, this game hits the spot perfectly

If that is *not* what you're expecting, though, it could feel like something of a let-down, because while it starts out looking like a fairly story-driven FPS, runs through the standard Super Soldier stuff like Metal Gear Solid/Rambo/Deus Ex/Commando etc. (you are the ultimate warrior of bygone days, called upong to reluctantly return to service and save the day), it really is just a platformer. I think this could cause some to take a dim view of the game, which is understandable.

Anyway, the whole thing is better than I was led to believe, and is a solidly implemented nod to something *like* the original in 3D. Swing, kill, get out of the line of fire, kill, swing, get a better gun, swing, kill - like spiderman with guns, as a platform game.

Swinging on the arm is done brilliantly, guns work well and you get upgrades regularly (one at a time like the original game, some would have liked to see a pack full of weapons to switch between but in fairness that might not make sense given the character). Boss battles are well done, satisfying and interesting without any of the tedium and brokenness that seems to plague many games' boss battles. There is one possible exception on the boss battles thing, but a) it is spoilerish and b) doesn't ruin the game.

Overall, this platformer scores well. Before you play, watch some videos of the original 2D game and see what you are signing up for - and if you decide to go in knowing that Splinter Cell it ain't, this game is good, solid, old-fashioned fun.

Overall, graphics aren't particularly fabulous, it's a (fairly) repetitive platformer, and nostalgia would not have carried it alone, but it scores an 8/10 from me for one reason, something that is missing so often from games: Playability
  5. Sep 16, 2014
    Got this for 2.99 on STEAM sale...

I was a big fan of Bionic Commando for the NES (how long can you last starting a fight in the demilitarized zone?) and rearmed. I heard this game sucked so I never played it. However, It's a solid action platformer, reminds me a lot of Batman mixed with Darksiders. The action is fun, the boss fights are fun, and flying around takes a bit of practice
    Got this for 2.99 on STEAM sale...

However, It's a solid action platformer, reminds me a lot of Batman mixed with Darksiders. The action is fun, the boss fights are fun, and flying around takes a bit of practice but looks awesome when you pull it off.

That said the inconsistant gravity and weird weapon scanning (weapons do damage before bullets 'hit') makes for some weirdness.

Overall it's a solid game.
  6. May 14, 2014
    Finally learned good targeting in hooking and swinging to target .
    Cool when in came is possible / needed to use mans potential skills ! =))
    FEELS GREAT !
    sometimes u fall and in microsecond your eye catches a target u can hook to, and u graB it and woooooooooooooooww BACK IN THE GAME BABY! =D
  7. Dec 24, 2013
    They did a surprisingly good job executing the grapple arm in a 3D environment. After completing the outstanding 'Bionic Commando: Rearmed', I was eager to see if Grin, the developer, could transfer the swing mechanic into the third-dimension. 8 hours later to beat the game on Hard difficulty, I can confirm they did. No other game does it better, not even the Spider-Man games. There is aThey did a surprisingly good job executing the grapple arm in a 3D environment. After completing the outstanding 'Bionic Commando: Rearmed', I was eager to see if Grin, the developer, could transfer the swing mechanic into the third-dimension. 8 hours later to beat the game on Hard difficulty, I can confirm they did. No other game does it better, not even the Spider-Man games. There is a learning curve due to the free-form nature of the swing mechanic. But once you master it, once you grasp where to attach your grapple, know what point in your swing trajectory to detach your grapple, understand which direction to shift your weight to, and think far ahead to identify your next two or three grapple points, once you master all that will you truly feel like a "rad" Bionic Commando. Expand
  8. Nov 14, 2013
    raphics: Average looking graphics. 7.5

Sound: Average themes/sounds, nothing stands out, decent voice overs. 7.5 Gameplay: Fun and innovative gameplay mechanics, comparable to Spider Man without the open world, and with guns. The game has some fun boss fights, but its more of a linear experience, although the game does add challenge. 8.5. Story: Average story. Spencer in
    raphics: Average looking graphics. 7.5

Sound: Average themes/sounds, nothing stands out, decent voice overs. 7.5

Story: Average story. Spencer in the future but he looks totally different, the plot opens slow, and the overall story is not interesting. 7.

Replay Value: 6-8 hour experience, multiplayer, and some collectibles. I beat it without any interest for collectibles or playing the multiplayer, but for those who get it off of a steam sale for $5 buck, I would recommend it. 8.

Overall Score: 7.7 out of 10.
  9. Oct 22, 2013
    The graphics are OK, except for the serrations. The controls and gameplay are good. Unfortunately, the story is very shallow and the enemies a bit repetitive.
  10. Oct 17, 2013
    So I bought the pack of this and Rearmed and expected this to be the stinker, so I was playing it and thinking, "this isn't too bad". Then I got the bionic arm, the endless tutorials started and I wanted to set fire to my own skin. So yeah, nice try and still better than re-armed but deh... Just no.
  11. Oct 14, 2013
    Technical Issues[10]
    ------------------------------------
    Over All[7.5]
  12. Dec 15, 2012
    This game is a lazy console-port and the devs haven't even bothered to fix the most basic stuff when porting this to the pc. Now most of this is only superficial. The game works great with mouse and keyboard and i had no problem whatsoever with getting the game to work. But i think that it is just plain respect-less that they didn't take the small time required to fix this. Now with thatThis game is a lazy console-port and the devs haven't even bothered to fix the most basic stuff when porting this to the pc. Now most of this is only superficial. The game works great with mouse and keyboard and i had no problem whatsoever with getting the game to work. But i think that it is just plain respect-less that they didn't take the small time required to fix this. Now with that out of the way lets focus on the game. The gameplay in the game is surprisingly fun. The swinging is really satisfying and the combat is quite enjoyable. There is also a couple of quite cool areas that you get to visit in the games campaign. Sadly is the games campaign kind of short (around 5-6 hours) and its story is pretty bad. The checkpoint system is also pretty messed up. Its quite far between checkpoints, collectibles doesn't stick and enemies that was already dead when the checkpoint was triggered has a tendency to respawn behind you which can be kind of awkward. This combined with the radiation manages to take the fun out of exploring which is kind of a shame since the swinging is the part of the game that works best and that is the most fun. Some other things that annoyed me were some quicktime-events and that a couple of things in the game wasn't properly explained. I might sound a little bit to negative here so i should point out one last time that the swinging is pretty damn great. And i enjoyed the game despite its problems.The game do however have its fair share of flaws but i will despite that recommend checking this game out if you are into the genre since the game has its moments. Expand
  13. Nov 8, 2012
    The most fun I had in a long while. This game offers an interesting game mechanic that will have you hooked for the whole duration of it. The combination of shooting, swinging and fighting is perfectly balanced and never becomes dull or boring. There are few frustrating spots here and there but nothing that will have you throwing your keyboard against wall. The guys did great PC port whichThe most fun I had in a long while. This game offers an interesting game mechanic that will have you hooked for the whole duration of it. The combination of shooting, swinging and fighting is perfectly balanced and never becomes dull or boring. There are few frustrating spots here and there but nothing that will have you throwing your keyboard against wall. The guys did great PC port which plays wonderfully (can't imagine using controller for some of those harder jumps/swings). I can only recommend this. Expand
  14. Mar 25, 2012
    Very good game. Don't believe the haters. Great sound track and game play with a controller, good graphics. Played this through on the 360 in 2009 loved it. Playing it through on PC in 2012 loving it. Really cheap now.
  15. Mar 4, 2011
    It has nice graphics, uses nvdia physics. But controls are sucks. The letters on the screen A, B for jump, punch what ever doesn t match the keyboard keys. To make a action with combined keys, is too diffucult, and sucks. For example, make a stupid HACK action, it took half an hour. The game was designed for Playstation, not for PC. And stupid interfaces makes the game bad
  16. Feb 17, 2011
    Thoroughly enjoyed the game play. Interesting interaction with environment and enough weapons to make it a whole bunch of fun. Excellent storyline too, can't wait to play re-armed now.
    Definitely recommended.
  17. TruthS
    Dec 22, 2009
    Gave it +1 for good graphics. Gave it -9 for horrible controls. It seems these idiots at Capcom just don't understand the golden rule : good controls = good gameplay. If you've ever tried their other horrible ports to the PC such as Resident Evil 4 and 5 (I'd rate these two poor excuses for a pc game a measly 1 as well), you'll know what to expect. DO NOT BUY THIS Gave it +1 for good graphics. Gave it -9 for horrible controls. It seems these idiots at Capcom just don't understand the golden rule : good controls = good gameplay. If you've ever tried their other horrible ports to the PC such as Resident Evil 4 and 5 (I'd rate these two poor excuses for a pc game a measly 1 as well), you'll know what to expect. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME, it is utter garbage. How bad is this game, let me put it this way, on screen indicators make reference to the X or Y buttons on your non-existent xbox360 controller for the PC!!! Idiotic. The controls for grappling are so frustating you swear the idiots at Capcom never even playtested the pc version of their POS game. If you buy this game, you're merely supporting their negligent attitude towards the pc platform. For some reason, the moronic japanese developers just don't know what the f-kin mouse is for, or don't know what good HCI principles entail. Frustrating experience. Two thumbs down for this garbage. Expand
  18. MattH
    Nov 19, 2009
    A complete failure by almost any standards. The only thing that this game has going for it is it's cheesy title.
  19. KevinK
    Nov 15, 2009
    The story was, in my opinion, original. I did not expect the ending and though it might not appeal to some audiences, I like to use my imagination and predict what happened next. Also I was just amazed at the fluid and seamless animation of the character swinging at extreme speeds all over the place. It's very awesome to see the realistic physics, GRIN did a great job at the swinging The story was, in my opinion, original. I did not expect the ending and though it might not appeal to some audiences, I like to use my imagination and predict what happened next. Also I was just amazed at the fluid and seamless animation of the character swinging at extreme speeds all over the place. It's very awesome to see the realistic physics, GRIN did a great job at the swinging mechanic. It's true that you have to pause and look up controls for the keyboard in the beginning, since the on-screen instructions show xbox buttons, but after a few minutes you basically got it. There aren't that many buttons to press anyway. I do not understand why people are complaining about the controls and the port to PC. No bugs. Controlling was a piece of cake for me. (I used to play Gunz, a game that requires extreme mouse and keyboard micromanagement) But anyone that considers himself a competitive gamer (or has basic knowledge of where keys are located on a keyboard) can master the controls pretty easily. There are a only few methods to kill enemies (or it may be a lot, my opinion), but that is a good thing. I hated it when games would have a million ways to kill enemies, and I had a hard time choosing and utilizing them all. With this game you can actually be kind of creative with how you can use the skills. Plus it's simply awesome to be swinging cars around and punting them at people. Gameplay was repetitive at times, but it's just so thrilling and dynamic that I never got bored of it. Graphics were beautiful too. Bottom line: for you to enjoy this game properly, you must be able to think fast and aim quick; that's it. Excluding the wasd buttons, there are only about 5 other buttons to worry about (which is very few, compared to other games like Crysis or GTA and etc.). I think this game definitely deserved a better overall score. The efforts gone into this intricate game is amazing. Even the Menu interface is a wonder of computer coding and graphics. Expand
  20. SebastianP
    Aug 22, 2009
    I think it's a great game! The levels are very differently and I had a lot of fun! The bad things of the game is the control and the graphic.
  21. RADS
    Aug 21, 2009
    Excellent sotyline, epic experience, liked the game from the very start to the ending. Game mechanics works like a charm and boss fights were interesting.
  22. Vinz
    Aug 11, 2009
    I've just finished Prototype so that game just feel like a "Beta" compare to it. The cammads are difficult to play with and most of them aren't used at all. Shoot with ammo... Hand to hand combat vs invincibles enemies... Some bonus that doesn't do anything at the end... Try it before buy it!
  23. MetalGuy
    Aug 8, 2009
    Don't buy this on PC. The installation is a total bug fest with the support only having for an answer to uninstall my antivirus/firewall etc.. ''reformat'' so I never got to play the game. Thanks for stealing my money, and by the way, my version of Street fighter 4 works just fine so it IS a game related fault good for nothing noob support.
  24. WilliamC
    Aug 8, 2009
    I love this game. GRIN have nailed the swinging mechanics and its just a lot of fun to swing around the dilapidated city. The game is pretty linear and there are only a few ways to dispatch of enemies but if you can get past that you will find and amazing game with a great online component. Please buy this game so we can see more like it.
  25. ChrisV
    Aug 4, 2009
    Easily the most fun I have had in a game in a long time. Critics were way too hard on this game, trying to compare it to Rearmed. And if you look at the top critic reviews, none of them mention Rearmed. Morale of the story, its an awesome game if you look past and dont compare it to the old 2D incarnation.
  26. SteveP
    Aug 3, 2009
    The game itself is fun, but the PC multiplayer is a joke. 9/10 times it will come up with no one found, and once you do get into a game (which I havnt been able to do so far) most people experience a crash after getting more than 6 players. I personally only bought this to play the multiplayer and am extremely dissapointed.
  27. mojahed
    Jul 30, 2009
    Awesome gameplay and all . must buy and play.
  28. MaximumL
    Jul 30, 2009
    Anyone here who was thinking of buying this game, BUY IT. It is EASILY the best game of 2009 thus far. Is it repetitive? HECK YEAH. But it is an absolute riot to take down 5 enemies without touching the ground. Boss fights are awesome, and so's the general game. Go and buy it, RIGHT NOW.
  29. GeorgeG
    Jul 28, 2009
    Awesome story line and simple yet addicting game mechanics with great replayability...wait, that was rearmed. About the sequel, if you plan on getting all the bonus items, have fun...you only get one try because redoing a level will rid you of all of them.
  30. volkano
    Jul 28, 2009
    Nice graphics. not perfect but nice playability. hard to find collectibles. incredibly amazing game menu (i loved it so much). fun and worth to play and buy.

1. Despite the not-so-bad first impressions, Bionic Commando is a disappointing game. Linearity is not a drawback by itself, it's more about the way it has been pushed into the game, which often delivers loads of frustration... Long and frequent loading times, lousy A.I., and inaccurate controls just confirm that this is not a Capcom game, but more a Grin one. Let's hope Capcom itself will be on the next RAD Spencer incarnation: all it needs is some polish.
  2. Entertaining, fun action game with a fresh concept, nice graphics and a lot of humor.
  3. You'll have a lot of fun with this new Bionic Commando, but he ultimately plays it safe in his first adventure in twenty years.