7.9

1. Dec 2, 2014
    Without knowing, I wrote a review for the PC version of Bioshock 2, which is the one you're reading now. I haven't played Biosock 2 for PC, so I wrote my actual review on the system I played it on (Xbox 360). I couldn't find a way to delete this one, so instead, I just wrote a message letting you know about this accident.

Game's decent. 8/10
  2. Nov 19, 2014
    After the joy of the original I was ready to like this game. A lot. Back to Rapture! And, to its credit, game-play is smooth, the enemies are more varied and, in many cases, tougher and the weapons are inventive. However, it seems like the game lost its soul somewhere. The haunting, beautiful visuals of the first were lacking. The story was simply less compelling, absent the wonderfullyAfter the joy of the original I was ready to like this game. A lot. Back to Rapture! And, to its credit, game-play is smooth, the enemies are more varied and, in many cases, tougher and the weapons are inventive. However, it seems like the game lost its soul somewhere. The haunting, beautiful visuals of the first were lacking. The story was simply less compelling, absent the wonderfully crafted Ryan. I cared about the characters less. I felt like I was playing a competent, first person shooter. The first time around, I felt like I was taking part in a masterpiece. This...was just a video game. A good one, but just a game. Expand
  3. Oct 29, 2014
    Outstanding game. Great story. Great script. Great voice acting. Great graphics. Great replay value. I mean we all have different tastes but this is a Great first person shooter with RPG elements that I highly recommend.
  4. Aug 25, 2014
    As a "game" 4 as an interactive experience 7

I got this game on a steam sale after pasing it up 4 years ago. I played System Shock as a kid and loved bioshock as well. Game-play is boring, simple shooter style. Trick the dumb AI, played it on hard wasn't challenged at all. No penalty for dying. Lots of ammo, even though it's all nerfed, finding enough medkits is another story.
    As a "game" 4 as an interactive experience 7

The story is nice, made-for-tv movie level good, but still very "video-game". Voice acting, is great, music is wonderful.

Overall a snorefest through mudsville, watch the cut scenes on youtube and buy the soundtrack and save your time.

about to give bioshock 3 a go...lets see if it is any better.
  5. Aug 23, 2014
    "You had me under a gun... and yet you just walk away? No monster alive turns the other cheek. No monster does that. A thinking man does that." - Grace Holloway

Set 8 years after the events of the first initial game , BioShock 2 follows Subject Delta, a prototype Big Daddy brought back to life and sent on a quest to recover the Little Sister he was bonded to prior to his death, Eleanor, from the clutches of the new leader of Rapture, Sofia Lamb. Welcome to the Rapture!. another success!
  6. Jul 31, 2014
    Positive thing about Bioshock 2 could have been that after a huge disappointment that was the first Bioshock for me, I didn't expect anything at all and part 2 could only surprise me in a positive way, right? No. The problem is that this was exactly, and I mean EXACTLY the same thing all over again. It felt like playing the same game again, the differences were so slight that it remindedPositive thing about Bioshock 2 could have been that after a huge disappointment that was the first Bioshock for me, I didn't expect anything at all and part 2 could only surprise me in a positive way, right? No. The problem is that this was exactly, and I mean EXACTLY the same thing all over again. It felt like playing the same game again, the differences were so slight that it reminded me the cosmetic differences between Doom 1 & 2. Once again extremely overrated title that many people consider to be something more than what it really is and the game that almost destroyed all my faith in the series, but the Infinite fortunately saved the reputation 3 years later. 4/10 Expand
  7. sft
    Jul 4, 2014
    Big Sister knows best

Big Sister knows best

Bioshock was a wonderful game (5/5) and BIOSHOCK 2 is no less an achievement. 2K have taken all the elements that made the original so great and have tweaked them in all the right ways to make the second game even better than the first. The inventive story behind Rapture is further developed and the weapons, combat, hacking, and upgrade progression have all been improved. The various classes of hysterical splicers still wander around chattering hilariously to themselves and several new enemies have been introduced to add range to the combat. The plasmids and weapons have been improved and you can now wield both at the same time (although you can’t use them simultaneously -- that would make things too easy). The voice acting remains excellent as does the writing, and the story of Rapture is wrapped up nicely in an unusually poignant ending. A true AAA game -- highly recommended.
  8. Jun 11, 2014
    This game is quite solid but is not as good as the first one. This is the one to skip in the series. However, it stands as a beautiful game which can be quite enjoyable if you are a fan of the series.
  9. Jun 2, 2014
    First Bioshock was a masterpiece and, if i didn't play it, i would give the second chapter a higher score. But.. there's some new things but not so many and though we have another really good story behind the game.. i don't think it is involving as the first. Graphic is the same, looks like recycled. And it's short, but if you can buy it ina bundle for cheap (like i did) it's a good experience.
  10. May 31, 2014
    How good is this game? Well, even with 745 positive reviews, I still feel like it deserves more praise! I personally like BioShock 2 more than its predecessor. It's longer, with less jump scares and a more elaborate story than #1. This allows you to really soak in Rapture's atmosphere, get to know characters more intimately and being a Big Daddy gives you more freedom to explore rapture atHow good is this game? Well, even with 745 positive reviews, I still feel like it deserves more praise! I personally like BioShock 2 more than its predecessor. It's longer, with less jump scares and a more elaborate story than #1. This allows you to really soak in Rapture's atmosphere, get to know characters more intimately and being a Big Daddy gives you more freedom to explore rapture at a slower pace.

Gameplay has improved since the last game, too. Not only does it allow for plasmids and guns to be used simultaneously, but the developer has also added means to play a more tactical game with traps and devices, thus adding more variety to how one approaches a situation.

Dialogues and monologues are solid, levels present more variety and are designed to be more open instead of only having small rooms connected by tight passages. Sound effects are also top notch, leaving nothing to be desired.

Overall, after playing a ton of games over the past 20+ years including all games of the BioShock series and DLCs, BioShock 2 still remains my favorite game of all time and I would very much recommend it to any fan of fiction and FPS.
  11. May 29, 2014
    Awesome game but delta is just the worst and weakest big daddy ever but I do like him it's that his armor is like a pillow and I have played hundreds of shooters and I was good at it but when I got out of mission 2 that's when it all went to hell my ass was being kicked by the splicers and I meant the weakest they are how can a pipe attack take a quarter of my health it's a good game butAwesome game but delta is just the worst and weakest big daddy ever but I do like him it's that his armor is like a pillow and I have played hundreds of shooters and I was good at it but when I got out of mission 2 that's when it all went to hell my ass was being kicked by the splicers and I meant the weakest they are how can a pipe attack take a quarter of my health it's a good game but be ready to visit the chamber or what ever it's called a lot. Expand
  12. May 20, 2014
    Not a bad story but inferior to the original, the plot isn't new, the world of Rapture isn't new to us anymore, but the gameplay is improved, so unless you hated the gameplay in the original game for some reason, and the original had good gameplay, or you only come to experience the plot and story, its a recommendation.
  13. Mar 30, 2014
    BioShock 2 spoiler-free review.
    BioShock 2 is a sequel that proudly carries the name, with enough tweaks and changes to make it worthwhile.
    BioShock 2 spoiler-free review.
    Let's start with the world. It's more of the same from the original but with upgraded graphics and effects, making it a lot more enjoyable. In BioShock 2 you controll a Big Daddy, and it's gratifying. That's the problem as well. While in the first BioShock you were killed with ease, here, the enemy A.I offers from little, to no challenge. They introduced Big Sisters, which come after you harvest or save the 3 little sisters in an area (and you will, because Big Daddies are not a challenge anymore). They are the toughest enemies in the game, but I think they must have killed once or twice throughout the whole game. The sound and music are just as good, delivering an overall better experience (mostly the music, it's brilliant). The hacking element is much better, and I never got tired of it. Harvesting or saving Little Sisters do the same in BioShock 2 than in BioShock 1, they change a few plot points, but not much else. The difference with Little sisters is that each Little Sister can take ADAM from especific bodies before harvesting or saving them. This addition is genius, as it consists in keeping the Little Sister safe while she takes the ADAM. This requires planning and strategy which is a really nice change for the game. The story. Now, many won't agree, but I considered it better and also much more relatable story than the previous. It was more focused and more engaging, and I enjoyed every bit. There's also the mutiplayer, which is fun, but I don't really see myself playing it long-term.
    After all, BioShock 2 keep itself fresh and innovative enough to make a more enjoyable and focused game than the first.
    Average Score: 9.1
  14. Mar 23, 2014
    Amazing sequel and the best atmosphere of all time!
    Positives:
    - Excellent Atmosphere
    - Excellent Story
    - Excellent Gun Play
    - Excellent Voice Acting
    Negatives:
    - Too Short
  15. Feb 21, 2014
    I really. Really wanted to like this game.

I really. Really wanted to like this game.

Techincal side of things: What the hell? Is it because I'm running a lower end computer? Suddenly BS2 didn't like my computer, forcing me to put BS2 into DX9 and making everything look poorly. Then there was *No Manual Plasmid Reload* which meant that you'd either have to edit a config file or fire off what little EVE you had left so Delta would reload. There's NO Weapon/Plasmid wheel, and coming back from Bioshock Infinite, that was ridiculous. What genius decided to have it in console releases, but not on PC? And multiplayer, don't make me laugh. Obvious console port is obvious (especially when the prompts for what buttons to push >>Are Xbox 360, not PC, buttons
  16. Feb 19, 2014
    The gameplay and depth are both improvements over the original installment. However, the story, lore, atmosphere, and length are not as good. In addition, they added a lame multiplayer mode to an obviously singleplayer only game. Overall not as good as the original.
  17. Jan 26, 2014
    There are very few differences between Bioshock 1 & 2. They both share the same graphics engine. However, PC gamers cannot properly enjoy the new particle effects featured by the DirectX10 support without encountering major stability issues. Therefore, the graphical improvements made from Bioshock 1 are rather incremental. Both games both share the same audio problems and issues withThere are very few differences between Bioshock 1 & 2. They both share the same graphics engine. However, PC gamers cannot properly enjoy the new particle effects featured by the DirectX10 support without encountering major stability issues. Therefore, the graphical improvements made from Bioshock 1 are rather incremental. Both games both share the same audio problems and issues with the mouse sensitivity and controls. However, as long as you know what files to open and which values to change, the crazy mouse sensitivity and skipping sound should plague you no more than it did in Bioshock 1. This sequel did not take the franchise in a new direction the way Mass Effect 2 or System Shock 2 did. However, much like God of War 2, Bioshock 2 had a nearly perfect prequel. As a result, they took an already winning recipe of extraordinary level design and phenomenal combat, and cleverly refined and modified this formula into another incredible experience in Rapture. Bioshock 2 delivers a less memorable experience, but certainly not an all-around worse experience. This sequel takes place 10 years after the events of Bioshock 1 and places the player in the glorified fish tank of Rapture. Evolution has taken its toll on this underwater utopia, and has become a darker and creeper place with incredibly impressive aesthetics. Bioshock 2 handles moral choice and its consequences incredibly better than the first game. It focuses more on personal confrontations and less on the philosophy behind Rapture. The ending is much more meaningful and emotionally overwhelming as the repercussions of your choices unfold into an incredibly satisfying conclusion. The secondary goals of finding and defending Adam stuffed corpses offers incredibly rewarding challenges. In addition, Bioshock 2 features new and overwhelmingly powerful enemies that keep the gameplay fresh. Exploring the underwater skyscrapers in Rapture has never been this much fun. Expand
  18. Jan 23, 2014
    BioShock 2 improves what was already a good game by adding a better story and more interesting gameplay. The Big Sisters are also a great addition as they help make the game a bit scary, an aspect that the first game lost after a few hours of gameplay, as soon as you got used to it. But the Big Sisters will give you creeps every time with their crazy screams.
    The only thing that this game
    The only thing that this game didn't live up to was the great ending that the first one had. Though the game did have a decent ending, it simply couldn't compare to the one in the first game. Not gonna go into detail though as that would be too much of a spoiler.
    Overall I would give this game 8,5/10 if I could, but since I can't i'll just leave it at an 8.
  19. Dec 30, 2013
    The biggest con of this game is the save system. The game doesn't auto save on certain events, just the level beginnings and you know what it is very frustrating. The game sometimes crashes and you have to start at your latest save. You can manually save the game but I don't want to save game every 5 minutes.
  20. Dec 20, 2013
    When I first bought bioshock 2 I was very disappointed with the lack of controller support, but they recently added it! The game is much more enjoyable now
  21. Dec 9, 2013
    Ah, yes, a return to Rapture is just what I needed before taking to the skies in Bioshock Infinite, and what an emotionally charged return to Rapture it is. Bioshock 2 took every gameplay and story element from it's predecessor, and improved them greatly. The new hack mechanic, the new dual plasmid and weapon combat, all combined with feeling like an unstoppable force in the suit of a bigAh, yes, a return to Rapture is just what I needed before taking to the skies in Bioshock Infinite, and what an emotionally charged return to Rapture it is. Bioshock 2 took every gameplay and story element from it's predecessor, and improved them greatly. The new hack mechanic, the new dual plasmid and weapon combat, all combined with feeling like an unstoppable force in the suit of a big daddy make this an engrossing gameplay experience.The interactions with some of the characters, specifically the decisions whether or not to kill them, is engaging because you are instantly rewarded or penalized based on your decision. The father-daughter bond between you and Eleanor is one of the most important parts of the game; she is seriously a driving force, and is center-stage in a beautiful, unforgettable ending. Expand
  22. Nov 17, 2013
    The continuation of one my favourite games. It lacks a lot from the original game, but it also a great game, especially for Bioshock fans. It expands the world of Rapture and now some of the unanswered questions are cleared, and the ending is perfect again.
  23. Oct 17, 2013
    Play as a big daddy from the first game? Interesting idea, but did it work? Was the protagonist too far removed from you to really care? For me the game worked, not in the same ballpark as the first but it did indeed work. Just not as well as the original, not by a long chalk.
  24. Oct 9, 2013
    Even though it's a complete rehash of the first game, and suffers from an extremely malignant case of consolitis (with low-quality textures and 360 button graphics all over the place) I prefer this one. Taking on the role of a Big Daddy and interacting with the little sisters plays a large part in this, but endlessly shooting up splicers eventually gets too boring after a while. As ever,Even though it's a complete rehash of the first game, and suffers from an extremely malignant case of consolitis (with low-quality textures and 360 button graphics all over the place) I prefer this one. Taking on the role of a Big Daddy and interacting with the little sisters plays a large part in this, but endlessly shooting up splicers eventually gets too boring after a while. As ever, an average FPS with above average narrative. Expand
  25. Sep 20, 2013
    This is another great game, though it doesn't exactly live up to its predecessor. The mechanics are much the same as the previous installment, though some minor improvements have been made to the combat and genetic skill trees to make it slightly more fluid. All this taken into account however, the story feels like much more of an afterthought than did that of the first game (probablyThis is another great game, though it doesn't exactly live up to its predecessor. The mechanics are much the same as the previous installment, though some minor improvements have been made to the combat and genetic skill trees to make it slightly more fluid. All this taken into account however, the story feels like much more of an afterthought than did that of the first game (probably because, to a point, it was). Although it is still a great shooter, you don't lose much of the bioshock experience by leaving this particular installment out. Great mechanics, great atmosphere, great graphics, but the story is definitely lacking. Expand
  26. Sep 18, 2013
    With the first Bioshock being a ground-breaking piece of art, Bioshock 2 falls short of it's predecessor. This time around, you play as Delta, the first successful Big Daddy. You want to find your original "Little Sister", but she has been put into custody of a corrupt politician who plans to create a woman made of all the great minds of Rapture.
    The game's single player campaign is
    The game's single player campaign is slightly lacking. It has enough substance, such as new weapons, powers, and enemies to keep the player somewhat interested during the majority of it, but it was not varied enough from the original game's formula.
    One of the redeeming factors of the game as a whole is the multi-player. It takes place before the events of the original game, and retains the weapons and powers from the first. It gives the player something to come back to after the single player game.
    Overall, the game had some problems, but the game was still descent enough to keep the same charm of the original game.
  27. Sep 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Easily the worst BioShock game i have played, only played 1 and 2 also played them in order 1 then 2, I felt very much bored with bioshock 2 and for some odd reason the game looked like compared to the 1st, THE BEST MOMENT IN THE GAME IS PROBS WHEN YOUR A LITTLE SISTER, its rad, bioshock 2 7/10 Expand
  28. Sep 6, 2013
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  29. Aug 5, 2013
    Good... at all...
    Just like I hoped: Bioshock but sadly with Windows Live I really liked this game, nice graphics, bioshock gameplay and good Story but with WinLive you just can't play without saving every minute soo... only 8/10
  30. Jul 13, 2013
    The good: Not going to lie.... Best game I've ever played. When playing the first Bioshock, I felt the controls were very "clunky". It was just annoying to switch between weapons. Bioshock 2 added dual wield. The plasmids were fun and all. But my favorite part by far was the weapons! The drill was amazing. The characters were amazing, and seeing through the eyes of a little sister addedThe good: Not going to lie.... Best game I've ever played. When playing the first Bioshock, I felt the controls were very "clunky". It was just annoying to switch between weapons. Bioshock 2 added dual wield. The plasmids were fun and all. But my favorite part by far was the weapons! The drill was amazing. The characters were amazing, and seeing through the eyes of a little sister added to my total infatuation with Rapture. The thing that made this game that almost made me cry was how sweet the little sisters are. The say the cutest and sweetest things to you. The graphics are amazing too. My FAVORITE thing about this game is that there are different endings. That's my favorite thing ever in any videogame. And apparently there are 6! This may be why I didn't like Infinite as much. The bad: The problems I have with this game are things that take out immersion. Drill fuel. The drill fuel was annoying because apparently you're the only Big Daddy that needs drill fuel. The rest can drill away while in the beginning you can only hold a drill spin for 5 seconds. While the Little Sisters were adorable and all, there was just something that really bothered me. After you kill her Big Daddy, she starts crying. But if you walk close to her she acts like nothing happened and smiles at you. When you step away she immediately starts crying again. It's not too important but it still took me out of the game a bit. All in all this game was amazing. Even with the few things wrong with it I still had the most fun I've ever had in a videogame. Even Infinite wasn't as good as this. Expand
  31. Jul 7, 2013
    A simplified review for novice gamers
    Graphics:
    Magnificent graphics they did a great job in it
    Sound:
    Not as great as the previous bioshock but still its very good
    Game play:
    Quite the same as bioshock only faster
    Story:
    Impressive story line with multiple endings
    Overall Bioshock 2 is a great game but not as great as the first one was.
  32. Jun 25, 2013
    I haven't played the first Bioshock and don't know how it compares to this sequel. As standalone game Bioshock 2 has unique dark atmosphere and some interesting design choices.

Bioshock offers just right amount of different weapons, which all have they uses. On the other hand, I only used selected few plasmids although they all seems useful enough. Battles are typically very intense and lots of fun. Especially big daddy sister fights and when you have to protect little sisters from swarms of enemies can be exciting.

Main problem with this game is the plot and storytelling. At best, the story is messy and uninteresting. Most of the dialog and NPC characters are left very superficial. The inherent weirdness of the game also makes it hard to relate to any of the main characters and I didn't find myself caring too much of any of them.

If you find copy of this game cheap, I would recommend it as fun shooter with some RPG elements. If you're searching for game with good story, this ain't it.
  33. Jun 22, 2013
    What I have been reading on Metacritics disgraces me, this game deserves a lot higher score, not just from the critics but from the users as well. Critics say the game doesn't have the mystery and thrill of design that the original had and people say that it lacks its unique appeal. These people should be banned from metacritic! Sure the design isn't unique but I think it's better, and whoWhat I have been reading on Metacritics disgraces me, this game deserves a lot higher score, not just from the critics but from the users as well. Critics say the game doesn't have the mystery and thrill of design that the original had and people say that it lacks its unique appeal. These people should be banned from metacritic! Sure the design isn't unique but I think it's better, and who wouldn't want to come back to good old Rapture. By the way, the ending is great with multiple endings suiting the players who want to play the way they want to. Rapture looks beautiful, level design is interesting and it has the best bad guy I have ever seen. So don't put this game down, it deserves a 10 out of 10, be smart enough to realise that with no denying it. The beginning is great and the length is great. Do me a favour and score this game 10 out of 10, do it for justice and the lord. Expand
  34. Jun 19, 2013
    Rapture, the second time around, loses a little bit of the awe factor since the environments look familiar already instead of something new and yet-to-be-explored. The story is kinda iffy, in my opinion, but there are a good amount of new things to use and to do. I do really love the combat gameplay since I find it fun to play and it is much improved over the first game. I still found itRapture, the second time around, loses a little bit of the awe factor since the environments look familiar already instead of something new and yet-to-be-explored. The story is kinda iffy, in my opinion, but there are a good amount of new things to use and to do. I do really love the combat gameplay since I find it fun to play and it is much improved over the first game. I still found it rather enjoyable and the relationship between the character (Delta) and Eleanor was actually well done in my opinion, so while it isn't as excellent as the first game it is still a good one. Expand
  35. May 30, 2013
    I give the first bioshock a 10/10, but i would give this a 9/10.
    It feels like a little boring though, but i still like it.
    The game isn't that bad, if the first Bioshock never existed. XP
  36. May 25, 2013
    It's like expansion of original Bioshock, just more of it. There are lot of new super interesting plasmids, that allows us variety of combat tactics, story is nothing great, but ok, enemies more interesting than in original. But overall Bioshock 2 is not an improvement, it's more like on the same level.
  37. May 21, 2013
    Bioshock 2: The long awaited sequel to Bioshock. While In no means a bad game, its in no means a GOOD game, let me explain:
    1. The graphics are to cartoonish! While this works in games like TF2, here it's just out of place. In the first level, I'm greeted with a dark environment, wich is expected, because its Bioshock. But I look up, AND THERES FREAKIN PINK CORAL!
    2. The voice acting is
    2. The voice acting is So-so. Some of the parts, like Alexander the Great, and Dr.Suchong are amazing performances, all the others seem like the actor didn't want to be there.
    3. The Big Sisters, while nicely designed, are just a boss that shows up when the game slows down.
    4. I enjoyed playing as the Big Daddy, I really did, but making you go on escort missions CONSTANTLY just to get adam is stupid! Each time you get adam, its a all out war, and should be planned out.
    5. The endings....oh god those endings. While longer than the first ones, there just boring to watch and leaves you feeling unsatisfied.

Its still a good game, but certainly not as good as the first installment. If you want a simple shooter, this might be for you. But If you loved the first one, maybe just watch a lets play, because hardcore fans (like myself) will not enjoy this game.
  38. Edd
    May 15, 2013
    I really love this game,Best textures,graphics,sound effects,storyline,characters and all of IT TOO FANTASTIC I mean Come on THIS GAME IS SWEET SUBJECT DELTA WILL BE THE BEST
  39. May 9, 2013
    another great shooter and more of bioshock which was an amazing game the story is good but not as great as the previous one but the gameplay is much better and you get to play as a big daddy how great is that simply a great successor to the first game
  40. May 4, 2013
    Bioshock 1 had a good story line and great atmosphere, but the polish in game mechanics/play was lacking. Bioshock infinite had very smooth gameplay, a great story and dreadful gameplay/mechanics so much was missing and it was uncontrollably linear (run and gun don't think) I thought as to why they even called it Bioshock as it would have been better under a different name.

Bioshock 2

Bioshock 2 on the other hand had a weaker story compared to the other two, but it really wasn't so bad. The atmosphere was just as good if not better than the first and was way better than infinite. Now what sets apart Bioshock 2 from the rest of the pack is that the game play mechanics were superb, the atmosphere amazing and not too linear while there were the best guns, plasmids and upgrades. Bioshock 2, in my opinion, was by far the best game out of the trilogy. I loved it.
  41. Apr 28, 2013
    this game is a masterpiece. everything about this game is great. the combat is unique and fun. the dual wielding of powers and weapons really make it good. the story is fantastic as well, its one of the best videogame stories ever!!!! the game also has much more player choice which affects the ending.
    rapture is still super awesome and provides one of the greatest videogame locations ever!!!
    i dont have any complaints about the game. this game is just perfect!!!!!!!!!!! this is a must buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    bioshock 2 is one of the best game ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  42. Apr 21, 2013
    Bioshock 2 is a poor game. The combat is dull and repetitive, there are no interesting puzzles to solve, the plot is boring, the characters are difficult to care about, and the level design is as repetitive as the combat is. While the original Bioshock's story managed to pull through the mediocre gameplay elements, Bioshock 2 fails to do so, and is not worth your time or money.
  43. Apr 1, 2013
    Although the magic from the first Bioshock is lost, it manages to be a very enjoyable title with some interesting new weapons and a solid story. It lacks the powerful atmosphere of its predecessor but still has original ideas left that delves into the world of Rapture. And the ending is certainly more satisfying than the one in the first Bioshock.
  44. Mar 30, 2013
    Bioshsock 2 is the sequel to its first game. However story is not connected, you take the role this time as a citizen of rapture A big daddy, 10 years after the happenings in the first game. Once you entered the game you know what to expect from being a big daddy. Story is good but its not as engaging as the first one was but still its quiet interesting This time you can protect littleBioshsock 2 is the sequel to its first game. However story is not connected, you take the role this time as a citizen of rapture A big daddy, 10 years after the happenings in the first game. Once you entered the game you know what to expect from being a big daddy. Story is good but its not as engaging as the first one was but still its quiet interesting This time you can protect little sisters as your a big daddy. The guns are different and you have a wide variety if choices among the weapons. Plasmids are still the main feature of the game and they work as awesome as they did in Bioshosck one. Story still takes place in the Rapture but you will be going to new places that we did not visit in Boshsock one. SOme of this places have familiar sens due to the nature of Rapture but it never feels the same. Every area as a large amount of loot and places to discover. New enemies have been added to game such as the big sisters and new splicers. General the gameplay follows the same mechanism as the first game along with some new features. Eventhough the new features may not that be much but having a new and sequel to what we had in Bioshsock one is still amazing, The gameplay is still awesome. Graphics are much better than the first game, textures are not much more detailed thanks to new techs. The environments are sometimes bigger but still they have much as nice details in themselves. Finally you dont wnat to miss this game Expand
  45. Mar 5, 2013
    This is just a reboot of BioShock and where the original had a lot of interest for me it was not a very engaging story. Furthermore in an attempt to make the controls "better" for the PC they made them far worse. If I had paid full price I would have been very disappointed. I may eventually play it all the way through but for now I have more than enough interesting games to explore.This is just a reboot of BioShock and where the original had a lot of interest for me it was not a very engaging story. Furthermore in an attempt to make the controls "better" for the PC they made them far worse. If I had paid full price I would have been very disappointed. I may eventually play it all the way through but for now I have more than enough interesting games to explore. This might have made an interesting DLC but is not worthy as a sequel to its far superior predecessor. Thank god I got it for free with my BioShock Infinite preorder. Expand
  46. Feb 28, 2013
    Extreamly good game without many featuresin relation to the first game.
  47. Feb 18, 2013
    There is no other game that I felt compassion and protective love against a character eventhough I am not a father myself. I'm not gonna talk about the gameplay its obvious and its not the winning side of this game. Its the FEEELINGS that this game made me taste that is worthwhile. (Maybe the walking dead came close to the same feelings)
  48. Feb 12, 2013
    the game is like the previous release. but with new enemies and some new powers. i guess, if let you play as another person might be better. it is still a great game regardless. nothing really memorable to me, although the choice to save or eat the little sisters were interesting. some levels were fun but some were an annoying go around experience. not as unpredictable and scary as thethe game is like the previous release. but with new enemies and some new powers. i guess, if let you play as another person might be better. it is still a great game regardless. nothing really memorable to me, although the choice to save or eat the little sisters were interesting. some levels were fun but some were an annoying go around experience. not as unpredictable and scary as the first but it has more action though. Expand
  49. Feb 10, 2013
    BIoshock 2 is amazing. It has a smarter story than the first one, with some real amazing moments and a better ending. All that and the game has a much slicker interface. You can wield the better plasma options alongside your weapons against the more imaginative enemies. The bosses are more interesting (well, Sander Cohen withstanding). Big Sister beats Big Daddy any day. The upgradeBIoshock 2 is amazing. It has a smarter story than the first one, with some real amazing moments and a better ending. All that and the game has a much slicker interface. You can wield the better plasma options alongside your weapons against the more imaginative enemies. The bosses are more interesting (well, Sander Cohen withstanding). Big Sister beats Big Daddy any day. The upgrade system is also more enjoyable and deeper. I loved the first game. But I saw the twists coming. I think it's because I played System Shock 2. Bioshock was excellent. Bioshock 2 is a masterpiece. Expand
  50. Jan 6, 2013
    I bought this game on the winter sale in Steam. And I was not able to play it? because was furious of a persistent demands to register in MS Live. And also from the fact, that game settings are not saving, possibly because of the fact that I did not enter the MS Live, but it just puts the game in a worse light.
  51. Dec 22, 2012
    Honestly, I would have rated this game a 7-8 if it wasn't for windows live. I couldn't get windows live to work once and I seriously can't see why I needed it to play single player through steam. It's a cheap, lazy means of DRM and I was annoyed as hell by it. As for the game, I played about 2 hours and just got bored. It was the same stuff as in bioshock 1 and it just didn't really gripHonestly, I would have rated this game a 7-8 if it wasn't for windows live. I couldn't get windows live to work once and I seriously can't see why I needed it to play single player through steam. It's a cheap, lazy means of DRM and I was annoyed as hell by it. As for the game, I played about 2 hours and just got bored. It was the same stuff as in bioshock 1 and it just didn't really grip me. I can see why some people might love that type of game, which is why I rated it as high as I did. I'm just tired of ubiquitous shooters with simplistic mechanics. But, if you loved Bioshock 1 and you're starving for more, you'll probably like this game because it gives you lots of almost exactly that. Expand
  52. Dec 13, 2012
    Bioshock 2 is a thoroughly enjoyable game which improves on many aspects of the first game, but suffers a bit from lack of originality. In this game the 'morality system' matters a little bit more than in its predecessor, but in the end it mostly just determines whether you see the 'good' or 'bad' ending cinematic. There is also a improved array of plasmids and upgrades, a quicker andBioshock 2 is a thoroughly enjoyable game which improves on many aspects of the first game, but suffers a bit from lack of originality. In this game the 'morality system' matters a little bit more than in its predecessor, but in the end it mostly just determines whether you see the 'good' or 'bad' ending cinematic. There is also a improved array of plasmids and upgrades, a quicker and simpler hacking minigame, and a greatly improved research system. However, the basic gameplay remains the same and the storytelling is very similar. The story itself is not bad, but I found it less interesting and engaging than Bioshock, especially since you (presumably) already know all about Rapture--and thus there is far less mystery and shock value. Still well worth playing tho, especially if you enjoyed the first game. Expand
  53. Nov 28, 2012
    Boring, glitchy and pretty irritating.
    Also managed to screw up my saved games and after a while stopped running.
    I regret buying this game.
    One of the few titles I am sorry I spent money on.
  54. Nov 23, 2012
    I had played and enjoyed the original Bioshock a number of years ago- though I
  55. Nov 14, 2012
    Continued on from the original with a great setting and unique combat system while telling a great story amongst all this.

Tacked on Multi-Player which was average but worth it for the single player.
  56. Nov 14, 2012
    The game might have been pretty much "recycled" from the first release, Bioshock 1, but a formula that works perfectly shouldn't be altered too much. All our favourite plasmids are still there, like electro shock, incinerate and so on, but with vast upgrades, as well as completely new and fun plasmids, like the cyclon trap. The game's approach to fast paced shooting sequences is stillThe game might have been pretty much "recycled" from the first release, Bioshock 1, but a formula that works perfectly shouldn't be altered too much. All our favourite plasmids are still there, like electro shock, incinerate and so on, but with vast upgrades, as well as completely new and fun plasmids, like the cyclon trap. The game's approach to fast paced shooting sequences is still there, with your character packing some serious heat, but also being extremely vulnerable to shotgun shell right in the face, which makes you feel like a glass cannon; in my opinion the perfect feel.
    What I liked the most, though, is the freedom given to you in this game. Within boundaries, of course. You are entitled to different approaches to problems. You can set up traps, sneak around dealing devastating sneak attacks or just come bargin in, kicking down the door wielding plasmids in one hand and a rocket launcher in your other hand and mashing in faces with drill attacks. Playing this game really took me back; I really felt like a kid unwrapping his first pc game and being totally immersed playing it.
    The story is also pretty grand, with consequence system resulting in a superb twist and with an ending that really nails the spot and makes you smile :) Not gonna spoil anything, so go try the game out ;)
    Although the game play and immersion might seem flawless, there are matters that deserve some criticism. The rpg elements are superb in this game, giving people the freedom of altering the character just the way they like it, but after some upgrades your character feels quite overpowered for the content. The only thing that saves it is the fact that you still take loads of damage from enemies, creating fast paced action with little time to react, with emphasis on the proactive game play. Early releases of the game also included some nasty bugs, but as of today, these seem to be ironed out and the game should run flawlessly.
    A big thumbs up from me; just finished the game and I want more!
  57. Nov 13, 2012
    Bioshock 2 is a worth successor to Bioshock 1. It improves upon a number of the issues with Bioshock 1 (e.g. you can use weapons and plasmids, you can use more tonics, and they changed the hacking game). The story line is not as strong for this game, but it is still the driver in this game. I can't say anything bad about the game, except that it is not as groundbreaking as its predecessor.Bioshock 2 is a worth successor to Bioshock 1. It improves upon a number of the issues with Bioshock 1 (e.g. you can use weapons and plasmids, you can use more tonics, and they changed the hacking game). The story line is not as strong for this game, but it is still the driver in this game. I can't say anything bad about the game, except that it is not as groundbreaking as its predecessor. Highly recommended. Expand
  58. Nov 11, 2012
    One of the worst games I've played. how does a game with almost no new functionality over the first have 4 times the bugs. The first Bioshock was amazing, the only game with a story I cared about. It was compelling, this just had melodrama. i hated all the characters the missions were forced, and so far I've seen nothing that adds anything to the story of rapture. the levels are 3 teiredOne of the worst games I've played. how does a game with almost no new functionality over the first have 4 times the bugs. The first Bioshock was amazing, the only game with a story I cared about. It was compelling, this just had melodrama. i hated all the characters the missions were forced, and so far I've seen nothing that adds anything to the story of rapture. the levels are 3 teired mazes and i spend the whole game getting shot and having no clue who is shooting me. the audio is **** where the original was masterful. being a big daddy is cool, but it was better in the first one. this is just escort missions. did the same team even make this? Expand
  59. Oct 15, 2012
    i am so mad, ima go buck nasty, who creates game like this. i am angry about it. i get NO ladies playing this game whatsoever no girls wanna play this with me
  60. Aug 12, 2012
    Despite a completely new storyline, new enemies and weapons, and updated graphics, this game felt a lot like more of the same. There really weren't many parts of this game that made me feel like I was playing a different game than Bioshock, not that I'm complaining.
  61. Jul 7, 2012
    Doesn't match the hype. I hate not finishing games, but this one really just feels like a waste of time. I played the first one and found it not to be ground-breaking, but it had an original storyline and world, with some interesting gameplay. ----Now, this one, while it doesn't ruin anything from the first one, it doesn't do a single thing to improve it, and it seems just that muchDoesn't match the hype. I hate not finishing games, but this one really just feels like a waste of time. I played the first one and found it not to be ground-breaking, but it had an original storyline and world, with some interesting gameplay. ----Now, this one, while it doesn't ruin anything from the first one, it doesn't do a single thing to improve it, and it seems just that much less original since it comes after the Bioshock 1 and does so little to improve the world, the gameplay, or the story. I daresay the story is a little more simple and less inspired, hence the reviewers who trash this title. Still, it's a little inaccurate to give this an atrocious score. It still has its assortment of interesting little baddies and nostalgic tapes. You can still catch yourself laughing while cringing at the snatches of conversation you hear between the other inmates of your little slice of hell. You still scan the walls for bits of nostalgic flavor - you just find yourself less surprised and less effected because it all feels like you've been here before. And you have...both your character and you... in Bioshock 1. And there the story was just a little more gripping. Expand
  62. Jun 6, 2012
    Games for Windows Live failed a mandatory update and destroyed my saved games, which seem to be kept on a remote server. Bioshock 2 is thoroughly contaminated with DRM and installs gigabytes of junk.
  63. May 20, 2012
    Pretend your eating bland and mediocre food and your still hungry no matter how much you eat so you just keep on eating, that's a sum up of this game, for a price of 20$ on steam it is NOT WORTH IT, maybe MAYBE 5 bucks as this is what i payed for it, I was not pissed considering price and game play that i got but this is a really boring story with levels involving you doing the same stuffPretend your eating bland and mediocre food and your still hungry no matter how much you eat so you just keep on eating, that's a sum up of this game, for a price of 20$ on steam it is NOT WORTH IT, maybe MAYBE 5 bucks as this is what i payed for it, I was not pissed considering price and game play that i got but this is a really boring story with levels involving you doing the same stuff over and over again, your fighting the same enemies and you get a somewhat interesting story line but the tedious game play just crushes it completely.

If you you really liked the game play of bioshock one and I mean you really just want to play anything that has all of that game play style, you might want to buy this one on sale.
  64. May 11, 2012
    I really love how they created a big city under the sea. It's like an whole new culture was created in the game. This game has very good voice acting, like the first Bioshock. The plasmids, weapons and hacking are better than the first game. The story is not that good, comparing to the first game, but still very enjoyable. Some people complained that the game is a little too short (AndI really love how they created a big city under the sea. It's like an whole new culture was created in the game. This game has very good voice acting, like the first Bioshock. The plasmids, weapons and hacking are better than the first game. The story is not that good, comparing to the first game, but still very enjoyable. Some people complained that the game is a little too short (And yes, it is in fact shorter than the first game), but I think it is the perfect length a game can have. You can finish the game before you got bored of it. BioShock Infinite is coming, and because of the fun brought to me by BioShock and BioShock 2, I am really looking forward to BioShock Infinite. Expand
  65. Apr 9, 2012
    Its a different game than the first one. First game introduced an amazing world and amazing set of characters. This one has the feel of "been there", but it innovates enough with the concept of you being a Big Daddy, introducing Big Sisters and giving little improvements, such as balancing of plasmids that make as enjoyable of an experience as the first one.
  66. Mar 16, 2012
    In my opinion, the GOTY 2010! The ending was the best I've ever seen in my life, and everything has been improved in the sequel, only bad in multiplayer with some problems.
  67. Mar 15, 2012
    its forced sequel to bioshock 1, one of its big innovations is having the ability to use a plasmid and a gun at the same time :0. sadly the game is lacking in any kind of story give a **** and that's why i give it 1
  68. Mar 10, 2012
    Being the Encore to one of my favorite games of 2007 I had high expectations for this game, this is inevitably the downfall of ND 3RD Et Cetera of games. This expectation of a better game than the first brings down many games or at least for me it does. But Bio shock 2 managed to pull it off. The story telling was much more in depth and holes where few and far between almost unnoticeableBeing the Encore to one of my favorite games of 2007 I had high expectations for this game, this is inevitably the downfall of ND 3RD Et Cetera of games. This expectation of a better game than the first brings down many games or at least for me it does. But Bio shock 2 managed to pull it off. The story telling was much more in depth and holes where few and far between almost unnoticeable in some areas. It excels in this area that Bio shock struggled to get around. But the gameplay is not as good, the first game put story aside to bring you into this mysterious and powerful place where pretty much everything can kill you with ease if you don't use tactics. This changed in the second one where practically the only thing more powerful than you and you might struggle with is the big sister but any any gamer with OK hand eye co-ordination will not struggle at all. The plasmids are brought to mind whilst playing Bio shock being just one of the many defining features, in the first they had this method of one at a time where you would have to change from plasmid to weapon, this brought a new level of tactics to the game as you must think before you act, Bio shock 2 turned this feature into a button mash as you through as much at your enemy as possible with the knowledge that they will die.The weapons themselves however have been smartly updated and changed to fit a big lumbering monster. This brings me to the final point I wish to make the little sisters, they turned the most annoying part of Bio shock 1 into a common place event. But now for the rating 9/10 because even through all its flaws I still play it over and over because of it amazing scenery, epic story line and gameplay that just makes you feel like your the boss and everyone else has to work up to your level. Would i recommend it definitely. Should you think of going for infinite yes and if you have not played Bio shock 1 yet I think you should give it a go, but don't go in expecting to rampage through everything like your a tank it doesn't work on the original. Expand
  69. Feb 27, 2012
    Bioshock 2 is more of the same, or perhaps less of the same. However since the original bioshock's world was so staggeringly inviting and original, more of the same in this context is not bad. I guess what I am saying is that it takes more than two games set in the same world for genre fatigue to set in. This game also makes some mild improvements to the gameplay and mechanics, it's storyBioshock 2 is more of the same, or perhaps less of the same. However since the original bioshock's world was so staggeringly inviting and original, more of the same in this context is not bad. I guess what I am saying is that it takes more than two games set in the same world for genre fatigue to set in. This game also makes some mild improvements to the gameplay and mechanics, it's story is solid - although not as masterful as the originals - and the game still maintains a sense of emotional weight. It's major downfall for me is it's length, and a more enclosed world that feels a little more like a rails-first-person-shooter than bioshock has any right to feel. I enjoyed the heck out of this game - although it's absolutely a step in the wrong direction. Expand
  70. Jan 21, 2012
    To me, the original Bioshock was better than this one. It seemed by trying to make a multiplayer, they just forgot about the singleplayer. The game was good, but it seemed that they should've focused on the singleplayer a bit more because I found the multiplayer terrible and that the multiplayer downgraded the singleplayer expierence. I also didn't like the idea of the game and should'veTo me, the original Bioshock was better than this one. It seemed by trying to make a multiplayer, they just forgot about the singleplayer. The game was good, but it seemed that they should've focused on the singleplayer a bit more because I found the multiplayer terrible and that the multiplayer downgraded the singleplayer expierence. I also didn't like the idea of the game and should've gone with another idea. Overall, I would suggest if you're a Bioshock fan, to not buy the game unless you want to play a sequel that is disappointing compared to the original. Expand
  71. Jan 19, 2012
    Won't run. Huge crazy mess in forums to fix it. In 2012 it shouldn't take over 30 minutes max to setup a game and have it function. 5 hours later I'm at square one. If it worked it would probably be around 8 if it's close to the first game.
  72. Jan 17, 2012
    Excellent game, the story is its strongest point. With touches of role on the management of items / powers / enhancements, this first-person game one of the most engaging, although it is recommended to play the first one to understand and enjoy 2. The game very well optimized, has excellent graphics and an incredible atmosphere, addictive gameplay and duration of the campaign is quite longExcellent game, the story is its strongest point. With touches of role on the management of items / powers / enhancements, this first-person game one of the most engaging, although it is recommended to play the first one to understand and enjoy 2. The game very well optimized, has excellent graphics and an incredible atmosphere, addictive gameplay and duration of the campaign is quite long (about 20 hours and a bit more). The changes between the previous (That was one of the best games of 2007) are not very noticeable, and this does not mean it is bad, and that remains the highlight of the first delivery. The only criticism is the multiplayer, not because it is bad (although I miss a bit to at least be "addictive"), but that all servers are empty. But the singleplayer and is a gem, so it should not be a problem this. Expand
  73. Jan 13, 2012
    As always - Bioshock kick arse! Perhaps not as pleasant as the original (but common - let's face it - it was awesome because it was so new, and unique) the second part still is a fun shooter-walker! :) enjoyed it a lot. Can't wait to play Dead Space 2!
  74. Jan 1, 2012
    Bioshock 1 instantly impressed with its unique design and kept the player hooked with its uncommon gameplay and story through the game. Now with bioshock 2 it is somehow like hearing the same joke twice in a row. It fails to deliver enough new elements to be interesting. While i would really love to tell positive things about this game since i generally really like the combination of 3dBioshock 1 instantly impressed with its unique design and kept the player hooked with its uncommon gameplay and story through the game. Now with bioshock 2 it is somehow like hearing the same joke twice in a row. It fails to deliver enough new elements to be interesting. While i would really love to tell positive things about this game since i generally really like the combination of 3d shooter with slight rpg elements i just honestly can not do so. I did not even manage to finish the game, just got bored after a while and stopped playing it. Sure will give it a second chance some time and maybe even enjoy finishing it than, but at its release it just disappointed me. 6/10 Expand
  75. Jan 1, 2012
    This is the second part of an amazing game but i think is not in the same high level of the first Bioshock. The graphics is a little worst, the gameplay the same but it has one more time a very nice story and an amazing cinematic ending.
  76. Dec 29, 2011
    simply copy of Bioshock however still perfect to play, good story.... minus a point because of technical issues with GFW - solved after 2 hours findings on internet
  77. Dec 15, 2011
    Bioshock 2 is a game that improves on the gameplay and the mechanics of its successor, yet fails to deliver on any of the important aspects of what made the first installment great. Namely, the story, of which there is almost none. Perspective takes a turn as you now play, 10 years after the initial Bioshock, as a Big Daddy. Early on, the Little Sister that you are bonded to is taken away,Bioshock 2 is a game that improves on the gameplay and the mechanics of its successor, yet fails to deliver on any of the important aspects of what made the first installment great. Namely, the story, of which there is almost none. Perspective takes a turn as you now play, 10 years after the initial Bioshock, as a Big Daddy. Early on, the Little Sister that you are bonded to is taken away, and the entire game involves your efforts of trying to rescue her. Whereas in the original, 2K provoked thought and the formation of opinions on matters of ethical issues, they failed to deliver anything akin to that in the sequel. I know that a game as good as Bioshock is incredibly hard to live up to, but I can't help but feel that the effort put into the second one was minimal at best. Graphics have improved, thankfully, as has the combat system, but that doesn't make up for the fact that I had to sit through an uninteresting story with characters (specifically Eleanor) whose voices weren't emotional enough to get me to care about them. This game was a letdown from the first, but it wasn't a complete waste. It's still worth getting, so long as you don't pay too much for it. On the plus side, the multiplayer is strangely addicting, and very underrated. Expand
  78. Dec 10, 2011
    I don't believe in Bioshock's dystopian hype anymore. "Bioshock 2" has the same gameplay as "Bioshock", only that you get to control a big humping Big Daddy as your character. However, that wasn't my problem; the story was. WTF happened to all the philosophical **** The story's too messy, disorganized, and has NO morale. Moreoverall, the game doesn't really know where to spread out to.I don't believe in Bioshock's dystopian hype anymore. "Bioshock 2" has the same gameplay as "Bioshock", only that you get to control a big humping Big Daddy as your character. However, that wasn't my problem; the story was. WTF happened to all the philosophical **** The story's too messy, disorganized, and has NO morale. Moreoverall, the game doesn't really know where to spread out to. *Sigh* What can you expect from a sequel.... Expand
  79. Dec 7, 2011
    The first and second BioShock games are good in their own ways. BioShock 1 is good for it's clever writing and atmosphere, while the second is good for the action factor. It's a bit disappointing for me to see that the score is not at least a 90, but an 88. I find the BioShock series to be the best series ever. Did a BioShock 2 have to be made? No, but I'm damn glad that it is. It doesThe first and second BioShock games are good in their own ways. BioShock 1 is good for it's clever writing and atmosphere, while the second is good for the action factor. It's a bit disappointing for me to see that the score is not at least a 90, but an 88. I find the BioShock series to be the best series ever. Did a BioShock 2 have to be made? No, but I'm damn glad that it is. It does lack some atmosphere and originality that the first game had, which is a hard game to top anyway. BioShock 2 makes up for these lacking factors with the improved combat, quicker hacking, more flexible plasmids and increasingly interesting story as you reach the end, unlike the first game which sort of got stale and repetitive toward the end in some parts. The concept of the multilayer is very well done, the actual playing of it is not, as it seems to be the laggiest thing I've ever played. It's also painfully unbalanced. Overall, BioShock 2 may not be groundbreaking, but it's still an enjoyable game that no gamer should pass up. Expand
  80. Nov 19, 2011
    In a word "Bland". For clarification this game was not developed by the team that made the original. When the team declined to make a sequel because "Why?" The publisher 2k went forward with subsidiary studio used for making maps. They handed them the original and said "Make more" and that's really all they did. The engine and environment is mostly the same although PC players will noticeIn a word "Bland". For clarification this game was not developed by the team that made the original. When the team declined to make a sequel because "Why?" The publisher 2k went forward with subsidiary studio used for making maps. They handed them the original and said "Make more" and that's really all they did. The engine and environment is mostly the same although PC players will notice a downgrade and texture quality. the campaign is something like 8 hours long and very very redundant. You spend the entire struggling with boredom and a feeling of "been there done that." The original game story focused on the flaws inherent in Libertarianism. The idea that you need no social structure other than the basic values found in the ten commandments. Logically the next game would play the devils advocate and focus on the flaws of Libertarianisms polar opposite Socialism. This would require some serious thought so instead the studio just shucked in a generic villain with no motive other than control. Nothing the characters in the say have any meaning or baring on the story even the main villain has very little to say. The game is pretty free with weapons and ammo making the game exceedingly easy.I rarely needed to reload other than from crashes which btw are constant and really the one true antagonist. The game has no SLi support and is rampant with bugs. For this reason alone you should stay away. With everything else available avoid this game. Do not bother. Not even for free. Expand
  81. Nov 17, 2011
    Bioshock 2 is similar to the original in many respects, but perhaps not as good, admittedly. That said, I don't agree with a lot of the relatively negative reviews of this game, and would argue it is a decent addition to the series. Honestly, I think people just had unrealistically high expectations for this game due to their experiences with the essentially perfect original Bioshock. IBioshock 2 is similar to the original in many respects, but perhaps not as good, admittedly. That said, I don't agree with a lot of the relatively negative reviews of this game, and would argue it is a decent addition to the series. Honestly, I think people just had unrealistically high expectations for this game due to their experiences with the essentially perfect original Bioshock. I would suggest that if you liked the original Bioshock, you should definitely give Bioshock 2 a try - just don't expect it to be as unique and interesting (obviously) as the original was. Just think of it as a very well made FPS/RPG, and don't expect it to be so amazing like the original was, and I don't think you'll be disappointed. Expand
  82. Nov 14, 2011
    Similar, but more brutal than the previous game, and continually asking the question of humanity. The story is again, dark, splendid, and often intriguing. The combat system has been slightly changed, but only enhances the experience into a different and better way, although in the last 1/3 of the story you will feel invincible even in hard difficulty thanks to your new role as a BigSimilar, but more brutal than the previous game, and continually asking the question of humanity. The story is again, dark, splendid, and often intriguing. The combat system has been slightly changed, but only enhances the experience into a different and better way, although in the last 1/3 of the story you will feel invincible even in hard difficulty thanks to your new role as a Big Daddy. The graphic is slightly enhanced, more detailed. I actually do think this is a very different game from the previous one, again, Game of the Year!! Expand
  83. Nov 2, 2011
    Took me over two hours to get it to run properly. Eight different weapons, each with 3 types of ammo, and six or more plasmids. What am I? A concert pianist? I didn't find the hacking change to be an improvement at all and the story didn't hold my attention in the slightest. As far as I was concerned the story was just trying to get through a level whilst making yourself more powerful.Took me over two hours to get it to run properly. Eight different weapons, each with 3 types of ammo, and six or more plasmids. What am I? A concert pianist? I didn't find the hacking change to be an improvement at all and the story didn't hold my attention in the slightest. As far as I was concerned the story was just trying to get through a level whilst making yourself more powerful. Voiceovers and fighting got very tedious towards the end. Having said all that it was enjoyable to jaunt through Rapture again even though it was with a sense of post mortem deja vu. New weapons and enemies are decent enough, but the trips along the sea-bed seemed very pointless. And where the hell were the soundsets for the vending machines? Anyway, a reasonable buy at current prices and a good buy if you are a Bioshock maniac. Expand
  84. Nov 2, 2011
    Great single player, terrible multiplayer. Randomly spawns you with an enemy targeting you back half of the times... Also the whole Games Live platform destroys the game. It's buggy, with cumbersome registration and at some point my account was deleted and I lost my savegames with it. I dropped the game and still regret paying for it.
  85. Oct 12, 2011
    Although the story didn't quite live up to Bioshock 1, it was made up for be the amazing graphics. I also loved how you could wield both a weapon and a plasmid at once. It made the whole combat system a bit more interesting as you could fire away with your rivet gun at the same time you scorched and shocked your enemies.
  86. Oct 11, 2011
    While the game IS lacking something that Bioshock 1 had (probably that feeling when you discover an excellent new fictional world) it's still visually stunning, thematically wonderful, tremendously presented and has extremely high production values. The ideals it presents and journey you take are unmatched in any game this generation, except the original Bioshock.

DO NOT play this without

DO NOT play this without playing Bioshock 1 first, but please do pick it up.
  87. Sep 24, 2011
    Love. It was everything amazing about the first Bioshock, atmosphere, battle system, ect. So yeah, it was very similar, they basically took the first one and decided to make it far manlier by replacing your wrench with a drill and replacing your tommy gun with a Gatling gun. Not much more has to be said about how satisfied I was with that... I hated that wrench. Anyways although it wasLove. It was everything amazing about the first Bioshock, atmosphere, battle system, ect. So yeah, it was very similar, they basically took the first one and decided to make it far manlier by replacing your wrench with a drill and replacing your tommy gun with a Gatling gun. Not much more has to be said about how satisfied I was with that... I hated that wrench. Anyways although it was similar, it was still a fantastic game that was completely worth the play and is surely in my top favorites. I'm looking forward to Bioshock: Infinite, that should mix it up while still keeping the great things about Bioshock. Expand
  88. Sep 19, 2011
    Great game. I dont why people are bashng it for being like Bioshock 1. I mean hellooo...thats why its called Bioshock 2. you want a different game, buy a different game. i got what i wanted. and i had a blast. the only quirk was the too much time spent collecting stuff...and the PC version was tougher since you didnt get that pause&select weapon/plasmid menu that you get on the consoleGreat game. I dont why people are bashng it for being like Bioshock 1. I mean hellooo...thats why its called Bioshock 2. you want a different game, buy a different game. i got what i wanted. and i had a blast. the only quirk was the too much time spent collecting stuff...and the PC version was tougher since you didnt get that pause&select weapon/plasmid menu that you get on the console version. it was all real time switching during fights and man that was Fun. Great game. great fun. period. Waiting for Bioshock Infinity. Expand
  89. Sep 3, 2011
    So good, never a dull moment in this one. Sadly, one bummer was that I blew up the "F" on my keyboard from collecting SO many items but w/e I needed a new one anywise. Blew out every 2011 game that I have played this year. Thanks 2K for giving us a very enjoyable sequel.
  90. Aug 25, 2011
    Playing the first game is not essential at all to playing this game, it is very similar to the first game though in that the gameplay is basically the same and so is the setting. Gameplay has been improved, you can use both plasmids and weapons at the same time, there are mini turrets now and different types of big daddies and enemies. The story is not very much like predecessor, more ofPlaying the first game is not essential at all to playing this game, it is very similar to the first game though in that the gameplay is basically the same and so is the setting. Gameplay has been improved, you can use both plasmids and weapons at the same time, there are mini turrets now and different types of big daddies and enemies. The story is not very much like predecessor, more of an emotional tale of a father, still very good though. I didn't play the multiplayer much but it didn't seem very noteworthy. The diaries found around rapture are still as interesting. Expand
  91. Aug 14, 2011
    Technically sound (though Games for Windows Live was a burden to make happy), I didn't experience any glitches or crashes during game-play. Story wise I was a bit leery of a sequel to the impressive work of the original Bioshock. For my thoughts on it, in many ways I enjoyed the story of the second one better. Don't get me wrong, the first one had impressive characters and some uniqueTechnically sound (though Games for Windows Live was a burden to make happy), I didn't experience any glitches or crashes during game-play. Story wise I was a bit leery of a sequel to the impressive work of the original Bioshock. For my thoughts on it, in many ways I enjoyed the story of the second one better. Don't get me wrong, the first one had impressive characters and some unique twists and turns. However the first one always seemed to keep the heart of the story at arm's length, never full investing the player in the plight of the protagonist. At the end it came together nicely. Bioshock 2 kept me going, eagerly devouring levels to complete the next step on the journey. As someone else posted, perhaps it's the difference of theme of what it is to be a parent. Playing as a dad, perhaps I could identify more with Delta and the drive that keeps him going. If you truly enjoyed Rapture from the original Bioshock, you would be remiss to skip playing the second. Take the critical reviews with a grain of sea salt and jump back into the depths with both feet. Expand
  92. Jul 29, 2011
    It isn't often that a sequel surpasses the original, and BioShock 2 does just that. It carries over the extremely high production values. The sound, the voice acting, the ambience and forboding are all there in spades. The gameplay is just as compelling as before, with added layers and possibilities that broaden your options without saddling them. This was to be expected, as the originalIt isn't often that a sequel surpasses the original, and BioShock 2 does just that. It carries over the extremely high production values. The sound, the voice acting, the ambience and forboding are all there in spades. The gameplay is just as compelling as before, with added layers and possibilities that broaden your options without saddling them. This was to be expected, as the original recipe was ripe for exploitation. What I didn't expect was a truly immersive, heartwarming story that took my breath away at the end. Maybe being a parent helped with that, but I don't see how anyone with an ounce of compassion could not be moved by what unfolds.

BioShock 2 is a masterpiece in every sense of the word.

Maybe its because I played a patched version, but I encountered none of the technical issues many other reviewers alluded to. I ran the game at 1050x1680 widescreen with no trouble. Loading times were under 10 seconds, often just a couple of seconds. How people can say Bio 2 looks worse that Bio 1 is beyond me, it may not be better, but it most certainly is not worse. And looking the same as the first game was probably intentional, it is after all the same place is it not? It does take place ten years later, which is why Rapture now appears to be falling apart, so in that way it is different. It is also a measure of just how well thought out the game, as a sequel, is and I believe it was executed extemely well. The only real complaint I have is that it can be a hassle to manage all those weapons and plasmids in the midst of combat, and that ammo to be found is a bit too plentiful. Other than that the game absorbed me from the beginning and kept me engrossed for several days. Those of you finishing the game in 8 hours simply are not "experiencing the game", you are merely playing it at a superficial level, probably so you can brag about how fast you completed it and get to writing a cursory review that imparts nothing of substance.

I really wish people would put more thought into thier reviews, if you say "it's buggy" then tell us how its buggy....if it's "a great game" tell us why its a great game. And this notion of "the game has no innovation" claim is crap. When you think about it honestly...what was the last FPS game that was truly innovative? Remember, you are doing a service by posting a review, make it worthwhile.
  93. Jul 27, 2011
    I enjoyed it. Not as much as the first, but nonetheless a good game. The default controls were WAY easier as well. The atmosphere is just as creepy but in a different way than the first.
  94. Jul 24, 2011
    This game bring nothing new to the genre. Not only is it buggy with bad controls but repetitive as hell. The story is bad filled with boring characters and stereotypes. And yet again re-spawning enemies. The control scheme is badly thought out. You have 8 plasmid and 8 weapon slots. I for one found it impossible to be able to bind all these to easy reachable keys with out dislocating myThis game bring nothing new to the genre. Not only is it buggy with bad controls but repetitive as hell. The story is bad filled with boring characters and stereotypes. And yet again re-spawning enemies. The control scheme is badly thought out. You have 8 plasmid and 8 weapon slots. I for one found it impossible to be able to bind all these to easy reachable keys with out dislocating my fingers. In the end you find yourself running around using 1 or 2 guns in combination with perhaps 1 to 3 plasmids. Sure you could bind for instance the mouse-wheel to for instance next and previous weapon but I have always found this kind of configuration highly unpredictable and unsatisfactory in combat situations. And this is if you can bind keys at all. In some cases the key-bindings doesn't even work as it should. This in turn breaks the combat system since you cant really switch fast enough between all these weapons and plasmids.

The game-play in this game take me back to 1996. Nothing new to see here folks except a broken unsupported game.
  95. Jul 11, 2011
    The original Bioshock is one of the best shooters of its generation, it had substance. The gameplay, atmosphere and story were connected and intertwined well and the game makers clearly had something to say. Bioshock 2 unfortunately does not have the substance of its predecessor but comes across as a some what cash in. The original makers had nothing to do with bio 2 creation. The gameplayThe original Bioshock is one of the best shooters of its generation, it had substance. The gameplay, atmosphere and story were connected and intertwined well and the game makers clearly had something to say. Bioshock 2 unfortunately does not have the substance of its predecessor but comes across as a some what cash in. The original makers had nothing to do with bio 2 creation. The gameplay had its improvements but Bio 2s story was pretty lame, the main villain pretty empty and a missed opportunity, and the ending meh. I had some hopes for Bios 2 and wanted to give it a chance but in the end feels lame and falls into the towering heap of video games with mediocre stories.The 5 points I give to the technical improvements of the game play but not for the forgettable story and design. I do not recommend bioshock 2, with all the other great games out there I almost wished I had not played it at all. Expand
  96. Jul 2, 2011
    Super game, even though it took me two weeks to get it to run. Finally, I got it to work when running as an Administrator. Bioshock 2 has great graphic as does Bioshock 1, and the story line is equally compelling. I would recommend this game to anyone.
  97. Jun 15, 2011
    First off, I'm giving this game a 10 because it is a single player game that not only pulls it off wonderfully, but manages to throw in a decent multiplayer component at the same time. Multiplayer could seriously use some dedicated servers though, I've played games where 1 person would literally be almost impossible to hit because their connection was so bad that they warped when theyFirst off, I'm giving this game a 10 because it is a single player game that not only pulls it off wonderfully, but manages to throw in a decent multiplayer component at the same time. Multiplayer could seriously use some dedicated servers though, I've played games where 1 person would literally be almost impossible to hit because their connection was so bad that they warped when they tried to strafe around me. But overall it's fun and rewarding to play multiplayer. Single player, there really isn't much to say, it's just fantastic, a lot of people who were fans of Bioshock 1 may not like this one, simply because there's not really a whole lot that is new, you've been to Rapture before, you've seen the citizens before, you know about all the denizens of rapture already, why this new single player is so good is because of the story. A lot of people criticize bioshock 2's story as being worse than the first, I respectfully disagree, I think this one is so much better. Back when I was following the bioshock 2 forums I remember someone trying to argue about the characters and moral decisions to be more intense in bioshock 1, I really did not think this was true, BIOSHOCK 1 SPOILER AHEAD when Sander Cohen appeared in person in the first game, I always killed him, why? It wasn't because I thought he was crazy, it wasn't because I had extra ammo and just didn't care, it was because I thought I had to. He looked like a splicer, he sounded insane and I simply assumed I couldn't progress unless I killed him, to me it was just another kill in the walk through rapture, SPOILER END. Bioshock 2 keeps me emotionally invested in the characters, so the moral choices are actually there, and I don't instantly kill someone because I thought I had to, there's no confusion. Bioshock 2 may have had a shaky launch (lots of crashing/graphics issues) but it's a solid game, it doesn't FEEL like a terrible console port, best of all, and it is for someone who wants more of Rapture, not just some new gimmick. It's another story in the Rapture world, not necessarily a sequel. Just a great game. Expand
  98. Jun 10, 2011
    best voice acting I've ever seen but the combat system did get boring eventually for me
    the sounds do always fit the environment very well and make it interesting
  99. May 20, 2011
    this game is **** still cant force myself to play it, feels nothing like original bioshock and you know it. Not buying from this studio ever again. Cant wait for Bioshock Infinite. Go Irrational Games!
  100. May 18, 2011
    I am going to compare this to BioShock 1 instead of other games, because both of these games stand leagues above almost every other game released in recent times in terms of storytelling and character. Gameplay-wise, BioShock 2 is great, surpassing BioShock 1. The gameplay is much more refined, and being able to wield a weapon and plasmid at the same time makes the game feel less clunkyI am going to compare this to BioShock 1 instead of other games, because both of these games stand leagues above almost every other game released in recent times in terms of storytelling and character. Gameplay-wise, BioShock 2 is great, surpassing BioShock 1. The gameplay is much more refined, and being able to wield a weapon and plasmid at the same time makes the game feel less clunky compared to its predecessor. However, some parts get repetitive, such as protecting the little sisters as they harvest the ADAM from "angels" (you can skip this almost entirely, but will not be able to get as many plasmids or gene tonics). Besides that, expect similar gameplay to BioShock 1. Story-wise, both games are about equal. BioShock 2's story is more emotional and personal, and has better pacing and stronger endings (almost every single person I've talked to, including ones who prefer BS1's story, agree), while BioShock 1's story is more intriguing and mysterious, and has the character of Andrew Ryan, which by itself is a huge plus. Both games have side-stories (and one in particular in BioShock 2 which I found very depressing) that you can uncover through listening to audio diaries. BioShock 1's story collapsed on itself in the last act, whereas BioShock 2's story has a build up of tension to the very end, and the resulting end levels and sequences are some of the most memorable moments I've experienced in a video game. I've spent much more time thinking about BioShock 2 after finishing it than I did with BioShock 1, and very few games remain in the back of my head after finishing them (BS2 is one of them), so I must say it impacted me much more than the first. I made a thread on the official forums discussing the story of the two games that has gotten many well-thought and detailed responses (includes spoilers, however): http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?106933-Story-wise-which-game-do-you-prefer. The atmosphere of the second game will not be as memorable as that of the first game if you've played both, since you'll likely have seen everything before. There are bugs. The mouse control, like all Unreal Engine games, is not perfect, and needs to be tweaked in the configuration files to feel right. I also had a persistent bug where graphics options (or just the vsync option - I'm not certain) would not save. Also, widescreen FoV is improper in the multiplayer... but hopefully you aren't buying a BioShock game for the multiplayer. I personally enjoyed BioShock 2 much more than the first, and would give it a perfect score if the bugs were ironed out. Expand

1. Similar and slightly improved mechanics make this a worthy sequel, despite a sadly less-memorable story. [Mar 2010, p.70]
  2. A conservative return to Rapture, but full of quality.
  3. If 2K had managed to tell a story that equalled or bettered that found in the original, we'd have been left with an unquestionably better experience, rather than just a more exciting, smarter shooter.