7.7

1. Nov 21, 2013
    As a matter of fact, it was really nice to revisit Rapture, and had a good time playing it. But when it comes to value, the thing is quite different. It's really short (completed in less than 3 hours playing on hard), doesn't bring anything new in terms of gameplay, uses the same cosmetics and mechanics of Infinity and essentially doesn't add to or clarify much of the Bioshock universe. ItAs a matter of fact, it was really nice to revisit Rapture, and had a good time playing it. But when it comes to value, the thing is quite different. It's really short (completed in less than 3 hours playing on hard), doesn't bring anything new in terms of gameplay, uses the same cosmetics and mechanics of Infinity and essentially doesn't add to or clarify much of the Bioshock universe. It probably could be released as one single story rather than broken into pieces/episodes, or it could be quite more cheaper.

Funny, but not enough.
  2. Nov 22, 2013
    It could have been a great new adventure in rapture but falls very short. On the positive it pulls strings of narrative from all three games into the dialogue and environment ensuring any fan feels catered to. However the game is somewhat gutted; you can no longer lock pick or hack and a half hearted effort to implement skylines does really work. The game has an interesting story andIt could have been a great new adventure in rapture but falls very short. On the positive it pulls strings of narrative from all three games into the dialogue and environment ensuring any fan feels catered to. However the game is somewhat gutted; you can no longer lock pick or hack and a half hearted effort to implement skylines does really work. The game has an interesting story and builds well however the episode is over in 2 hours of game play. I would have given this a 7/10 if the game had a few more hours but felt really cheated at just how short this episode was. Zero replay ability. Expand
  3. Nov 16, 2015
    Simply sets the scene for Episode Two and reviewing this by itself doesn't actually make a huge amount of sense.

As a stand alone DLC it's fairly bad but as said, it exists for a specific reason.
  4. Nov 17, 2013
    This game does not scratch the rapture itch. I don't understand why there are skyhooks and why plasmids are named after vigors. But in the end, it's a good way to kill 2 hours, but not for $15.
  5. Nov 15, 2013
    A decent DLC, it was great to get back to Rapture, but the story twists did not seem so fresh after the original Infinite's ending and I didn't have that WOW effect from the "shocking" ending. I hope that the best part of this side-story is being kept for Episode 2.
  6. Nov 17, 2013
    I had a lot of fun with Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite, but this leaves me with the unpleasant feeling of being milked like a cow. 15 bucks euros for a less than 2-hour long adventure, seriously?

Sure, it's pleasant to see Rapture again, especially an alive Rapture. But that's only for a few minutes, then we're back to the original Bioshock experience, only with the updated weapons, graphics, and metaphysical shenanigans of Infinite.

That DLC is shockingly short and is unnecessarily hard due to a perpetual lack of ammo and eve. It was fine in the original Bioshock as most ennemies engaged in melee combat anyway, but here, ennemies have guns and take cover, while you're stuck with your empty clip waiting for Elizabeth to throw you something so you can keep fighting.

The attempt to elaborate on the voluntarily confusing ending of Infinite is fine, but it will quickly become old if it's not done better in the rest of this mini-series.

In the end, if you're a fan of the Bioshock series and are ok with a poor return on investment just to get a fix, then you're up for a mildly satisfactory exprience. Otherwise, Burial at sea can be skipped without to much regret.
  7. Nov 15, 2013
    I was going to say this was short for 15 dollars but this is where DLC is at today. It took me about 3 hours to finish this and that's about on par with some other DLC I've bought in the past for that price point. The game is still great quality as the original but I feel like alot of the impact here is lost on someone who has not played the first Bioshock. There's alot of nostalgicI was going to say this was short for 15 dollars but this is where DLC is at today. It took me about 3 hours to finish this and that's about on par with some other DLC I've bought in the past for that price point. The game is still great quality as the original but I feel like alot of the impact here is lost on someone who has not played the first Bioshock. There's alot of nostalgic moments in the game but there's also a feeling here like they worked too hard to try and bring back those fond memories of the first Bioshock and didn't let the game grow into something on its own. Everything else is the same here as in Infinite, from the gunplay to the vigors, it's all here. People will complain about the length all they want when this is about how long DLC is nowadays. But I'm very glad this is an episode one because, while it was obviously going to end on a cliffhanger, the motivations for a couple of the characters was nowhere near explained. At any rate, people who liked Infinite will like this DLC pack. It won't convert anyone who didn't like Infinite but it does it's job nonetheless. Expand
  8. Nov 13, 2013
    Decent enough, but very short and it almost feels like it was only made as fan service for BioShock 1 fans. i'm in the relative minority that didn't like BS1 yet loved Infinite, so this almost feels like a step backwards for me. Rapture still is not very fun to me even with the improved Infinite gameplay. The story reveals absolutely nothing in the context of the main game's story whichDecent enough, but very short and it almost feels like it was only made as fan service for BioShock 1 fans. i'm in the relative minority that didn't like BS1 yet loved Infinite, so this almost feels like a step backwards for me. Rapture still is not very fun to me even with the improved Infinite gameplay. The story reveals absolutely nothing in the context of the main game's story which was a bit of a let down, but i'm hoping that part 2 will tie it together nicely. Also as others have said it is very, very short. Took me 1 and a half hours and that was even with searching every corner of the map for items. I really would've preferred DLC in Columbia again. This DLC is not "bad" by any means it's just so shockingly average for the game that it is supporting. Expand
  9. Nov 13, 2013
    Short, stunted, and silly.
    Short, stunted, and silly.
    For those fans of the franchise who DIDN'T spend several days after finishing Bioshock Infinite grumbling about how stupid the storyline/ending were, add +1 to the rating. For those who did it's more of the same here. The only thing that saves this being a complete waste is getting to see Rapture before the New Year's revolt. It's beautifully imagined, though you don't get to see any of your old haunts. It's also very tightly controlled, and you'll find Elizabeth hounding you repeatedly to follow the storyline if you try to explore.

Unless you play it on 1999 difficulty, it won't take more than a couple of hours in which time you'll find yourself wondering why the developers decided to make ammunition so hard to come by and impossible to stay stocked (2 clip max) while also giving players tons of money so they could keep stopping to buy more from a vending machine. You'll also find numerous small rooms where you will be trapped when Elizabeth follows you in and then can't be moved so you can exit, and when you do complete the very obvious "finale," you'll be treated to an ending pretty much as silly as the core game maybe worse.
  10. Nov 17, 2013
    You either love Bioshock Infinite (BI) or not; it's hard to hate since the world is so very beautiful. So many people love the story but I find it convoluted, especially if you consider that the backstory is only accessible by listening to audio "voxophone" playback devices, amounting essentially to a voice-over that you must search out and then suspend gameplay (and, of course,You either love Bioshock Infinite (BI) or not; it's hard to hate since the world is so very beautiful. So many people love the story but I find it convoluted, especially if you consider that the backstory is only accessible by listening to audio "voxophone" playback devices, amounting essentially to a voice-over that you must search out and then suspend gameplay (and, of course, disbelief). No hope of understanding the story without doing so and even still that story is very convoluted.

More of the same here. The world is still very beautiful and that is still the biggest selling point. Fans of BI will not need convincing but if you were on the border about BI you will probably be disappointed with Burial at Sea 1 and could pass or wait until the price falls low enough to justify the disappointment.
  11. Dec 31, 2013
    It really explains the story well and it is very well made, but it only took me an hour and a half to beat. This expansion takes what you already knew about infinite and helps relate it to the rest of the bioshock world.
  12. Nov 14, 2013
    Burial at Sea is interesting and enjoyable, but it has a lot working against it. Let's start with the good. It's great visiting Rapture again (the Booker in this specific setting is sort of an alternate reality Booker), and the atmosphere and visuals are, as always, wonderful. The storyline is interesting, and sets itself up with a cliffhanger for the next episode. Aaaaand... that'sBurial at Sea is interesting and enjoyable, but it has a lot working against it. Let's start with the good. It's great visiting Rapture again (the Booker in this specific setting is sort of an alternate reality Booker), and the atmosphere and visuals are, as always, wonderful. The storyline is interesting, and sets itself up with a cliffhanger for the next episode. Aaaaand... that's about it, really. Depending on how you play, Burial at Sea can be extremely short, maybe 2 hours if you're more action oriented. I explored every area (particularly the beginning segment) and got around 3. That ties in to the next minus, the price. $15 is way too much to buy this thing piecemeal. I don't know whether it's an encouragement to buy the season pass or not, but if you plan on getting any of the DLC, the season pass is the way to go. I myself got the season pass when it was 50% off a while ago. Bottom line, what you're getting is quite good, but you're not exactly getting a lot for your money. Expand
  13. Nov 12, 2013
    Currently crash city. Nothing seems to help. Can't even comment on the quality of the game itself, aside from the fact that the crashes don't give you the feeling it's been made with much care. I'm running an AMD 6850 with current drivers apparently even with the damn game made with AMD tech in mind the game manages to crash. Already hearing some middling things about this DLC. With thatCurrently crash city. Nothing seems to help. Can't even comment on the quality of the game itself, aside from the fact that the crashes don't give you the feeling it's been made with much care. I'm running an AMD 6850 with current drivers apparently even with the damn game made with AMD tech in mind the game manages to crash. Already hearing some middling things about this DLC. With that combination? I'm getting that sinking feeling I shouldn't have dished out for the season pass.... Expand
  14. Nov 12, 2013
    So, when playing really throroughly and checking out every nook and cranny Burial at Sea took me 3.5h. Kinda nice, but it was really very lazed out.
    As I love Bioshock Infinite and Elizabeth and co, it wasn't that what I thought it might be. I actually didn't feel much plot along the way. Hadn't really had any urge to find that Sally. Nothing much like Infinite. Not very much emotions.
    And unfortunately game is very buggy. I had to reload checkpoints twice as I encountered never-ending spinning doors. And sometimes Elizabeth was disappearing and only unlocking doors and safes was bringing her magically back.
    But like in every Bioshock game this I must say there's a killer ending. But if you will like it or not is up to you. It was a bomb, but I'm not sure I like it like I liked Infinite's one.
    But it's surely one of the highest points of this DLC. 7 from me because in Poland we had Season Pass for free if you bought the game at premiere. But I wouldn't pay for it 15$ that's for sure. It's still too short and buggy considering the time they were producing it.
  15. Rem
    Nov 12, 2013
    Burial at Sea may have the familiar treadings of Infinite, but if you loved Columbia and Rapture, you get both in one sweet deal. Combat is more focused this time around and seeing Rapture at its peak of prosperity makes this game already worth the price of admission. I only wish it was a bit more different in its mechanics. I can't wait for Part 2.
  16. Nov 12, 2013
    Really liked the game-play, really liked the graphics, but it only took me an 1.5 hours to finish it, and personally i did not like the ending at all. I would say get it, but not right now while it is 15 bucks, get it when it is on sale. (i bought the season pack so i saved a little)
  17. Dec 8, 2013
    I liked the short rush through Rapture, but every Addon just feels not like a real game, so I think you should stop that Addon stuff and just go on to develope the next game. However if you look at Crysis Warhead you know that an Addon can be good in quality and quantity.
  18. Sep 12, 2014
    Instant disappointment. This is nowhere near the quality of the base game. Just about everything is worse. The combat is worse, your character is worse, there are less guns and abilities, and the story is totally random and I really don't even know what to think now. The good part is that you get to go back to Rapture and see it before it became the hell hole it was in Bioshock 1. ThereInstant disappointment. This is nowhere near the quality of the base game. Just about everything is worse. The combat is worse, your character is worse, there are less guns and abilities, and the story is totally random and I really don't even know what to think now. The good part is that you get to go back to Rapture and see it before it became the hell hole it was in Bioshock 1. There are also new weapons and a new vigor as well. I liked how they interweave the two worlds of Columbia and Rapture so that was nice. Other than that there really isn't much to say. The $15 asking price is absolutely ridiculous. If you're a fan of Infinite then you should get this, but wait for a sale. Expand
  19. Jan 29, 2014
    The DLC is good but ultimately it is has a few really big flaws. For one thing it is really short, and also the story was a bit of a disappointment. It had its interesting moments but the ending wasn't really that surprising and it was a bit of a letdown. The combat remains for the most part the same. The new weapon that was added was fun to use along with the new plasmid. Overall if youThe DLC is good but ultimately it is has a few really big flaws. For one thing it is really short, and also the story was a bit of a disappointment. It had its interesting moments but the ending wasn't really that surprising and it was a bit of a letdown. The combat remains for the most part the same. The new weapon that was added was fun to use along with the new plasmid. Overall if you are a big fan of bioshock i would say get it but if you are on the fence about it i would say consider not buying it. You really won't be missing that much story wise. A lot of the DLC involved very little actual story and it had a lot of moments where you had to fetch an item or close certain grates. Overall not bad but certainly not great either. Expand
  20. Apr 19, 2015
    It's good and has its moments but not as compelling and not as wonderful as Infinite. It's got some bugs (Securis door won't open) that were annoying and the checkpoint system here is bad (but forgivable). You probably already know that the story is another parallel universe alongside Infinite so it won't surprise you that much. But if you finished the original game and still had manyIt's good and has its moments but not as compelling and not as wonderful as Infinite. It's got some bugs (Securis door won't open) that were annoying and the checkpoint system here is bad (but forgivable). You probably already know that the story is another parallel universe alongside Infinite so it won't surprise you that much. But if you finished the original game and still had many questions and want to see more of what could have been to set things right, you will enjoy this... guaranteed. Expand
  21. Dec 16, 2013
    An entertaining addition to the game and all of the environments are very well done like in the original. the combat us more of the same with fast paced running gunning, jumping from rails and blasting enemies with super powers. the story could have used a little more depth and for the 15.00 dollar price tag though its just far to short.
  22. Mar 30, 2014
    BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode One spoiler-free review:
    A short but enjoyable journey back to Rapture.
    BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode One spoiler-free review:
    A short but enjoyable journey back to Rapture.
    As we go back to Rapture with Infinite's gameplay it was hard to adjust. This is the same problem I had with Bioshock 2's Minerva's Den. Infinite stablished itself as first person shooter where you were unstopable and overpowered. Now, (still in the hands of Booker) the game decides to make AI extremely tough. It was really hard to adapt to this new cautious and strategic gameplay. Now story. The story is good but nothing mindblowing like BioShock: Infinite. The music is very good and the sounds of Rapture and from the original BioShock, are great. The game looks great as well, better than Infinite I believe.
    In the end Burial at Sea episode 1 is a short but good DLC that (hopefully) is a set up for an incredible episode 2.
    Average Score: 7.5/10
  23. Jan 21, 2014
    This was a good continuation of the Rapture story intertwined with the new Colombia Story. I love seeing Booker and Elizabeth in the world of Rapture. The story and scenery were the only really big changes in addition of Bioshock, other then that the controls are still just as smooth and fun as Infinite. The scenery is amazing, I love seeing Rapture in its glory days, where Andrew RyanThis was a good continuation of the Rapture story intertwined with the new Colombia Story. I love seeing Booker and Elizabeth in the world of Rapture. The story and scenery were the only really big changes in addition of Bioshock, other then that the controls are still just as smooth and fun as Infinite. The scenery is amazing, I love seeing Rapture in its glory days, where Andrew Ryan beats Fontain. The story is the only place that really causes problems for me. While it is still the good classic writing that we've come to expect from Irrational Games, its way to short. There is more that could have been added to this dlc to make it more worth the money. For this reason alone the game three points. But its still a very good game and makes me excited for part 2. Expand
  24. Nov 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Burial at Sea begins with a great way to see Rapture before the Civil War, with an amusing free roam around a shopping district called High Street. You get to see people living their lives normally and see what the city was like when it was alive. Sadly, this was the high amount. On the plus side, the actual gameplay element of the game felt much like Bioshock, but maybe a little too much, following the slightly tiresome "here's an obstacle now find the plasmid to get past it" structure. And then we see what starts as a highly promising expansion hit its worst flaw, its really disappointing length. Barely two and a half hours long, Burial at Sea feels like nothing more than an extended demo and hardly justifying the £12 price tag (if you get it BUY THE SEASON PASS). Not to mention a few glaring omissions of classic Bioshock 1 elements, like character customization (Burial at Sea doesn't even have Infinite's Infusions system) and encounters with Big Daddies; we only meet one of those in the final boss fight. Expand
  25. Dec 7, 2013
    Just as Burial at Sea feels like its warming up it's over. It took me around 1hr 15mins, which is very short considering the 20USD price of entrance.

The story is generally good, and keeps you interested, in the usually ambiguous manner of the previous Bioshocks. Rapture has been redone quite nicely as you'd expect. In short, not a great value for money proposition but if that

In short, not a great value for money proposition but if that doesn't both you then its a worth 1 or so hours distraction.
  26. Jul 16, 2014
    This rapture has no connection to Bioshock's Rapture. This Rapture is like Colombia under the sea. There were no Penumeo lines (I didn't write it correctly) in the first Bioshock. There was almost no change in the gameplay. It is a waste of a sequel, it could be better. The storyline is perfect.
  27. Sep 4, 2015
    the concept of game is good. background of bioshock 1 and infinite graphic engine is charming. but, elizabeth, she always running, it bothering me. and
  28. Jul 25, 2016
    It's good to be back in rapture after all these years, it's a shame that in this episode you won't be staying for too long, it's only 2 hours at best and if you count shooting bad guys, there's nothing much here for you to do.

1. PC PowerPlay
    Dec 30, 2013
    The high price and lack of polish make this one to avoid for now. For art-deco die-hards only. [Jan 2014, p.93]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Dec 28, 2013
    Short but generous trip into the underwater city of Rapture with all the perks we know from Infinite. This DLC benefits from an attractive setting and slower paced action. [Issue#237]
  3. Dec 28, 2013
    A promising start? A rather cautious one. The return to Rapture evades déjà vu feelings, but it doesn't deliver more than a spark of curiosity for its fans.