8.5

1. Mar 26, 2013
    I really don't understand why are people so overwhelmed by this game. Lets see first thing is graphics, well this is such a clever ruse, all that bloom, fog and light shafts are well placed to cover poor models and textures in general(and I am not a person who praise graphics but this simply couldn't be overlooked). Next thing is horrible collision zones, at first it was not a big deal but it became more and more annoying. Also difficulty is pretty low i cannot even imagine how easier the game could get on lower difficulties. Story and characters are mix up of several clichés with several ups and downs and for once finally useful sidekick on the contrary enemy AI is quite poor and you will see big number of enemies stucked in some obstacle. There is also that unpleasant fact that this game embrace only checkpoint saves. So not being a fanboy nor hater i have to say Bioshock Infinite is pretty average game with tremendous hype, I'm glad i got my copy free because otherwise i would be really really angry at myself for wasting money. P.S. for all the people that say Bioshock is best rated FPS in history just check Half Life 2 and see for yourself Expand
  2. Mar 26, 2013
    I fell for the hype and bought it because of all the rave reviews but didn't like it at all. A mediocre shooter at best with dated graphics and uninteresting setting and story.
  3. Mar 26, 2013
    I might not mind the ZERO choice, on-rails, gameplay if the story-line made any kind of sense or if I cared the least about the main character, but he goes from being an idiot to being a bigoted genocidal maniac. Maybe I should have played the previous bioshock games for this to make any kind of sense.
    As-is this just looks pretty, but the gameplay is so linearly on-rails it's tormenting.
    You can genocide everyone in your way (for no apparent reason), or just run past them all, your actions have zero impact, you never get to make any real choices and should you somehow fail you get seemingly infinite immediate retries. Expand
  4. Mar 28, 2013
    I must say im a little confused. I didn't play the original Bioshock as the subject didn't appeal. However, ive was gifted a copy of this one and was looking forward to it based on his praise. The subsequent guilt caused by what im about to say isn't enough to told my tongue!

Why is this game scored so high by so many people? i don't get it. The game is a simple run and gun with ugly
    graphic, poor animations, and weak linear level design. Horrible style mash-up, poor UI, and clunky controls. Aliens: Colonial Marines got ripped apart last month (By myself included) for being a very average game with a big set of boots to fill. However i wouldnt say this game is technically any better. It feels like a very average last gen game to me. I prefer gameplay to graphics but i found this game lacking in both. I am genuinely confused by the gushing reviews of "perfection" this and "masterpiece" that.

It was a constant race toward the reason to switch it off. Between the boredom and the motion sickness caused by the poor mouse sensitivity settings, i got no enjoyment from this title at all. The motion sickness piped it in the end and i gladly quit after only a few hours ....probably forever.

For goodness sake play a demo! I guess this game is love it or hate it. P.S. If someone wants to pay me a large amount in used notes, i will say its great aswell!
  5. Mar 31, 2013
    A bad shooter with a bad narrative. A high budget babysitter for the undiscerning consumer.

-Limitation to two weapons leaves combat incapable of being as varied as in previous bioshock games or any decent shooter. -Regenerating shield turns any challenging combat into a glorified game of peek-a-boo
    -Major reduction in passive character building (dozens of tonics vs the selection of
    character upgrades)
    -Removal of hacking
    -Removal of research
    -Simplification of powers system (no separate currency to purchase, no upgrading)
    -Melee mechanics designed to emulate those with cerebral palsy

And, on a more subjective level
    -total reversal of atmosphere
    -robotic, mostly non-interactive NPCs
    -a moderate improvement over the originals, but still awful animations, just more noticeable with more NPCS
    -Boring moral "choices" with no impact
    -Mostly, though, it's poisoning the shock series even further with time-hopping infinite universe wankery. A bad Bioshock game, for sure, but a bad game on its face, mechanically and especially narratively.
  6. Apr 7, 2013
    They've invested a whooping $100 million in 'marketing', look it up. This is written off against tax.
    Nevermind the product, we have to keep the ball rolling.
    Because from an artistical and a technical point of view, this is nothing but child-oriented junk.
  7. May 9, 2013
    Formulaic 'waves' of enemies in set areas ruin this otherwise beautiful game. Gone is the sense of freedom, exploration and choices that made the first two Bioshocks so much fun. This is, instead, a repetitive shooter with little to draw you in, and even less to keep you there.
  8. Mar 26, 2013
    One of the worse use of DirectX9 ever. Abusive HDR and bloom, VERY VERY small FOV texture are ok when you are far, but as any game on Unreal Engine 3, texture look's really ugly when you try to enjoy close-up in the game.

Most confusing game ever, hard to follow the story too.
    Tons TONS of good features got removed from it, (even hacking system like it had in Bioshock 2. Multiplayer)

They tried to make an semi open world game, it failed totally, very confusing, not clear at all on where you need to go.
  9. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I mean, if nothing else the game certainly looks nice, the visual aesthetic is great. That being said, the rest of the game is pretty bad compared to Bioshock 1 and is absolutely wiped out by SS2. There are three different variations on a machine gun and three different variants on a grenade launcher alone. I actually feel like I'm playing Halo in the sky with this one move from one wide-open area with obvious cover and spawning generic enemies to kill, then move to the next and repeat. Oh, and don't forget Elizabeth, who you either have to comfort every ten minutes or who throws you health and ammo like nobody's business because god forbid there's a little bit of challenge. Not to mention the needlessly complicated time travel 2deep4u plot with, guess what, a twist halfway through the game! Oh man, it's almost like we didn't see this coming because Ken Levine hasn't put this in two famous games already! Why Halo 4 has a 6.9 user score but this has a 9.0 is beyond me when they both suffer from the same problems. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the completely subtle message of Booker immediately becoming a racist dick upon being baptized. Nice job with the subtlety, Ken. Expand
  10. Mar 28, 2013
    Four hours into the game and I am still not convinced. Loved the trailers and hoped for a great experience, but it still feels awkward, somehow untouchable. For me, it's like walking and fighting through a picture which has a cartoon-ques look with brutal content and no soul, no vibe, no grounding, just a lot of details. I will not complain about the rosebushes made of "concrete", the birds who are able to fly under water and through statues or the washy pixels when you get closer to walls or any other objects. The graphics are not sensational, but OK. The disturbing part is, that they are supporting the strange atmosphere of this game by blocking you to immerse into it. I hope for the better in the hours to come, but I have little hope that I will warm up. What a shame. Expand
  11. Mar 30, 2013
    This game is absolutely overwhelmed. The graphics is mediocre, even in max settings. The low res textures and poor models are a shame. The story is complete nonsense, the characters have no personality. I hate it.
  12. Mar 29, 2013
    This isn't Bioshock- It's pretty, it's nice, the art style is fantastic. But this is not Bioshock, this is incredibly dumbed down linear cut and dry with the name Bioshock slapped on it.

No lockpicking, no hacking, no puzzles, no upgrading. Furthermore it's JUST a game, enemies will shoot you when they can't see you. Run randomly to outflank you when they have no idea where you are they
    will run THROUGH your bullets to take 'cover' they randomly simulate what a person would do in a firefight.

It's terrible, any hope you have of being immersed is constantly stolen from you. As you are constantly reminded not only is this a game- it's JUST a game. As a movie this would be fantastic, as an adventure game even better. But as a FPS with the Bioshock name on it? Absolute nonsense.
  13. Jun 14, 2013
    The great grandson of the legendary System Shock 2 is a sobering example of how even venerated IP's can end with a whimper, not a bang. Gone is the atmosphere of tension, solitude and slow, cloying fear, of being a rat in an alien maze, desperately fighting the machinations of a near-ubiquitously powerful, intelligent enemy who hates you more than anything else. Gone is the rapidly blurring dichotomy of you and the warped genetic monstrosities you fight against. Gone is the sprawling, labyrinthine level-design that made you feel a stranger in an even stranger land.

Instead, brightly coloured setpieces tower above poor-quality environmental textures plagued by pop-in effects and graphical errors. All pretensions of atmosphere disappear in a neo-Americana hell, populated by a number of identical racist caricatures whose threat towards you is as laughable as their suicidal and stupid combat AI. What tropes of old remain, like the strange powers you and an illogically small proportion of NPC's possess, the garish, loudly coloured vending machines, are not given even the merest pretensions of logical existence in a world that remains true to the 'Shock series in barely more than name alone.

The satisfying gunplay of Bioshock is replaced with something that seems two steps back guns feel like they lack weight and impact, melee combat has gone from having some of the most visceral and brutal force to an insufficient, chaotic slugfest. Each blow of the wrench in Bioshock 1 felt like the fist of an angry God compared to the mess that is Infinite's hand to hand combat. Weapon upgrades feel tacked on, (gone are the tactical uses for each weapon: You will rarely require to change between two.) lacking the incredibly unique feeling and game-changing add-ones of Bioshock that added striking visual components to your weaponry.

Gunplay itself is almost parodic your limited selection of weapons, when the gimmicky or inferior are pared away, leave you to fight against generic waves of identical enemies with your iron sights and in what feels like a near slap in the face, _regenerating shields._

Plasmids (or 'vigours') feel similarly superfluous, despite an obvious attempt to broad the range of options both between and within them. Their use feels as unsatisfying and generic as the gimmicks of many other mid-quality FPS offerings that the Shock pedigree should stand above. Environmental uses for vigours are easily missed and of limited use. Contrast the feel of the fire power in Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite. In the former, a click of the fingers instantly set an enemy ablaze. It was fast, punishing and conveyed the utter power of ADAM, at the expense of your own body. It was a standard fallback for many players for good reason, for it was ubiquitously useful, but not overpowering. In the darkness of Rapture, the flames you ignited with a snap of your fingers were immediate reminders of power.

In Infinite, the clunky, slow moving projectile feels more like a grenade. Enemies who rush at you wildly in chaotic, rarely tactical combat make efficient use of the power difficult, and the flames themselves seem ineffectual, difficult to use when other powers are simpler and easier to use. Environmental uses like conveniently placed oil-slicks are rarely of any real value. The use of almost any vigour seems a waste of resources. Unsatisfying, unrewarding, unpolished.

The story itself is a decidedly average mess, riddled with plot holes and uncompelling characters. Your constant companion is, while relatively likeable and useful, not something I expected from a franchise that made it's name on the back of well-crafted atmospheric tension.

Gone too are some of the rewarding RPG elements, replaced by a bizarre 'gear' system that seems more at home in a Borderlands game than Bioshock. Not a few hours into the game and you are furnished with a pair of trousers that allow you to punch people from three-times the distance away, (often launching you off the edge of the city to an untimely, undeserved death) or another item of clothing that inexplicably causes opponents you strike in melee to spontaneously burst into flames and burn to skeletons before your eyes. A hat it was, I think. What were they thinking?!

This is of course rhetorical. It is obvious what they were thinking. A combination of changing appeal to a casual audience and rushed production values, Infinite is the death-knell of the 'Shock series. What's worse is that the this same audience of 'gamers', too captivated by their understanding of (actually visually average, but disguised by gross amounts of bloom and fog) setpieces that the developer literally drags your attention to as 'good graphics', (which is what a good game is all about, right?) who purchase an identical Call of Duty game EVERY year, are lapping titles like Infinite up.

Rest In Peace. We hardly knew ye.
  14. Mar 30, 2013
    the game would have been better if it just didn't have a plot, but the "PLOT" which was written by a few english majors who got high and read wikipedia leaves a pretty bitter aftertaste in your mouth to what was already a mediocre run and gun game with okay visuals
  15. Apr 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wanted to love this game, I really did. The original Bioshock is my favorite game of all time, this game had me longing to go back and play it. It's been said over and over, yes, the game has a beautiful landscape, other than that, it's a flop.

First, there is no lock-picking, puzzles, and very limited upgrading. I remember playing the original Bioshock and you could hack turrets, camera, etc. You have one vigor (lame excuse for plasmids) that can take control of turrets. It will fire on your enemies for 10 or so seconds then turn back on you. There is no way to fully take control of them and you find yourself just blowing the thing up as soon as possible. This brings me to my next point. I only used shock jockey once acquired, there are seven or so other vigors but use up too much salt and are pointless. They have a new clothing system but only two or three items are useful.

The weapons could have been interesting but they give them all to you right out of the gates. You can upgrade them easily and they are readily available. Usually you get better weapons as the game progresses, they just seem to throw them at you whenever. You can only hold two at a time. I never found myself really getting to like a certain weapon and upgrading it. You just pick stuff up, fire it till empty, and some other gun will be lying next to you.

There is only one real boss fight, (lady Comstock) all of the other characters are killed via cut scene. This really make for anti-climatic missions. The last mission is very mundane and ends up feeling like the previous quest. I beat this game in probably six hours on hard.
  16. Mar 30, 2013
    Mid level combat ,mid level scenario,completely uninteresting rail combat,vigors.A modern classic of modern big game industry's click and watch the movie, style game.
  17. Mar 29, 2013
    This game is not very good if you actually like enjoying game process instead of watching poorly animated NPC, engaging frustrating half-assed combat and exploring boring railed levels without any glimpse of interactivity. It's a fun watching people saying how good this game is without saying what actually was good (Hint: NOTHING). This game is very mediocre shooter with sorta good, but inconsistent graphics (good fx, somewhat limited models, ugly foliage, terrible animation). Expand
  18. Apr 7, 2013
    This game has been referred to as a "work of art" by many, and I don't disagree at all with this. The setting is incredibly imaginative, the (outdoor) graphics are gorgeous, the plot is semi-brave, mostly fleshed-out and very suspenseful. I adored the plot, I adored Elizabeth, and I adored the sky city of Columbia. So why do I have no choice but to give this a highly negative review...?

The game is an interactive movie more than it is, well, a game. Every single-player campaign and story released today cannot truly qualify as a game. Everybody who picked up this game would have been grossly unimpressed by the shoddy and thin "core" gameplay elements here, had this game been released in the era of real games (80's to the 00's). Given the outstanding reviews, I expected either a retro game experience or a revolutionary one, and got something that would probably be best described as a diluted version of Call of Duty's gameplay. Now, don't bite my head off for that one. It's clear that all FPS games today borrow from the core formula used in "modern warfare"-type shooters, like the ability to carry only 2 guns, the recoil physics, the *very* specific ammo types, the realistic iron-sights, cover-and-heal mechanics, 'hit' indication on your reticule, checkpoint saves, etc. etc. Newer gamers take these for granted they are really just annoying little copy-cat additions all the latest FPS games have. The point is, the actual gameplay borrows from a modern shooter and yet feels as clunky and unsatisfying as a previous-generation shooter, failing entirely to be either one.

The guns are *extremely* unimaginative and generic (shotgun, burst-gun, sniper rifle, non-sniper rifle...), and some of them are completely useless. This is a highly redundant and annoying system. For example, since you lack alternate firing modes, you literally have to switch to a burst-gun and use exclusive burst-gun ammo instead of using an SMG and switching it to burst fire, saving you one ammo type to collect.

There are plasmids in this game, now relabeled as "vigors" for some reason. You get several types, each with a very amusing short tutorial video, silent-film style. Unfortunately, though useful and somewhat creative, they are often ineffective and expensive to use.

Item collection is erratic as hell. You will find 'vigor ammo' ("salts") all over non-combat scenes but extremely sparsely placed over areas of prolonged combat. For this reason, you usually find yourself maxing out your relatively small "salts gauge" and unable to collect additional salts for half the game, while being unable to use any vigors for the other half of the game because you have no salts left! The same thing applies to ammo, which is made even worse because you can hold very little ammo of any type, and there are far too many types in the game due to the inflated number of generic guns available.

Thankfully, however, a very pleasant-looking NPC supplies you with a bit of health, salts and ammo during battle to compensate for the awful item placement. She will give it to you in the nick of time, but if you run out again, you're screwed you have to wait a very long time to get anything else from her. It works to balance out the poor level design, but it is just a patch on an ugly gameplay wort.

For a game with such an enormous graphics budget, some of the characters look very cartoonish while others look human. There are also *very* few face models in this game. Columbia is populated almost entirely with Generic Male NPC #1 and Generic Female NPC #1. I understand the need for face model recycling, but when you have three clones of the same woman in front of you with different voices, it gets ridiculous. There are also many invisible walls, which become apparent when you try to shoot around obstacles or jump on crates. And for the love of The Prophet, don't look at background details too closely! The bag of apples is literally a JPEG of a pile of apples stretched over a bag and what's worse, the designers put full-3D apples on top of them for the player to collect. The graphics are *very* far from being fleshed-out in any way here.

The best weapon is a melee hand-held slicing thingy, kind of like the painkiller (if you can even remember that game...) You use it to bash enemies' heads in, and you can perform overly gruesome finishing moves with it. There is *no* reason to use these moves, unless you like seeing heads explode, and the little indicator that tells you when to activate them is not easy to find in a pinch. Also, every time you melee, the camera gets fixed in the attacking direction, meaning if you melee multiple times, your character is thrown between enemies and you're essentially just button mashing at that point, because you can't see what's going on. The number of enemy types is also slim and uninteresting.

In short, play this game for the story. It's a pretty good one, but if you were expecting a fun game, look elsewhere!!
  19. Mar 27, 2013
    The game is a disappointment. It was hyped so much that in the end it just shatters before succeeding in what it is trying to do. Bioshock 1 was a lot better than this. I really don't understand why are people so overwhelmed by this game. Lets see first thing is graphics, well this is such a clever ruse, all that bloom, fog and light shafts are well placed to cover poor models and textures in general. Next thing is horrible collision zones, at first it was not a big deal but it became more and more annoying. Also difficulty is pretty low i cannot even imagine how easier the game could get on lower difficulties.

I bought this game mainly for the story and characters, but it is not that good, and are mix up of several clichés with several ups and downs and for once finally useful sidekick on the contrary enemy AI is quite poor and you will see big number of enemies stucked in some obstacle. There is also that unpleasant fact that this game embrace only checkpoint saves.

This game is quite average, and people need to start thinking for themselves and not pay attention to "Professional" reviewers, who are always biased, and have a hidden agenda with their reviews. Look at IGN for example they had the "exclusive" review, so they obviously wont rate it with less than a stellar review.

Professional reviews suck, and that is just the plain truth.
  20. Mar 29, 2013
    If BioShock was the original rock band, BioShock 2 was the patchy break up album, which just leaves BioShock Infinite the poor man's cover band. I'll just list what I dislike to save time... Dislikes. Terrible F.O.V. and poor mouse settings. Constant reminders"Are you sure you want to go to the area you just pressed yes to go to?" etc. Elizabeth is one of the most annoying 'buddies' in a game ever, walking in front when trying to shoot enemies, talking inane crap whilst walking around you like a fly in your peripherals, not to mention her clattering shoes,(Jesus).
    There's way too much money and ammo lying about, and that's on the hard setting, this just ruins any sense of tension there could of been. Pathetic A.I., you could have replaced them with potatoes and it would of been just as challenging.
    Ken Levine lookalike N.P.C's? Maybe this is just me, but one of the male head models looks the spitting image of Ken Levine. I'm cool with a little 'in house' fun, but when there's only about four head models in the whole game it gets a bit tedious.
    Bad collision detection. The invisible walls around lots of objects is laughable.
    A talking protagonist. This doesn't work for me, but this is a personal thing I guess. As the games progressing, I don't want to be told what my characters thinking or feeling as it just destroys any sense of immersion. The Graphics are no better than a 2007 game, with bells and whistles on. Not that graphics make a game, but the masses that seem to be praising this pale imitation tend to think it's visually stunning. On the whole, it's just a terrible reproduction of the first BioShock but set in the sky for novelty. It's difficulty is so easy a child could finish it, (perhaps this explains the high scores,) and the story just feels like something a first year student would write an essay about after their first spliff. (Heavy man).
    Oh I forgot to mention the Willy Wonka lift at the beginning! HaHa, that was so funny, oh it wasn't meant to be..?
    3 stars for the sky-lines.
  21. Mar 27, 2013
    I love system shock 2 and I used to be a major thief fan as well, but Ken Levine has let me and other fans down by taking infinite's lazy route. By lazy, I don't mean that he and his company didn't work hard at all, I'm sure they did in many regards, but overall the product they chose to create was not original in the least. Despite what you'll read in all of these other super glowing reviews, Infinite is a cop out because it basically just takes bioshock and puts it in the sky but with none of the things that made that game phenominal. The story... Bioshock was about a city underneath the ocean but that was at least somewhat believable. You might be able to believe in that, but a city floating in the clouds? My first gut reaction to that was the same one I'm having now despite the fact that I convinced myself otherwise. I told myself that I probably would like it just as much as bioshock 1 even though its setting is beyond stupid but I was wrong. The game is just not believable. There are several plot holes and inconsistencies that ruin the experience. Here's one example. Booker notes early on that the skyhooks must be magnetized and that's why he jolts over to them and connects to them with ease and never falls to his death as would really be the case. That's great... Here's the problem... He then jumps off of the magnetic rails easy as pie over and over again against the very same force that supposedly is powerful enough to lift him up 20 feet for the initial connection. There are more logic defiers in the game, but we're supposed to forget about that, right? Because the story is so good... Except it's not. The story is just terrible. It feels lame someone made an imitation game of bioshock and just made it in the clouds intsead of under the sea, and it fails just as it sounds like it would. I just can't by any of the characters that I'm supposed to care about. Comstock is a lame version of Andrew Ryan who is not believable. The leader of the rebels against his city is equally lame and has a "forced" feeling to her, as if the decision was made to put this certain character in here to relate to a target audience but instead she just feels entirely fake. And Elizabeth... I knew all along that a permanent NPC tagging along the entire game would ruin it and she does. She never shuts up and she gets in the way when you're trying to run somewhere. I don't care if she has hundreds of lines of dialogue because she points out obvious crap and I don't care about her. I feel like I want infinite to be about me and my exciting adventure in the floating city, but instead it's about this annoying character's feelings all the way through. Her behavior is disgustingly predictable. First she likes you, then she goes through an omg I hate you phase, and spazes out and knocks your character out (because you're too stupid to handle yourself even though you're capable of slaughtering 500 enemies...) I'm about 50% to 75% of the way through the game but I seriously have no interest in continuing. Why should I? The story will obviously be a let down and it's playing out like a bad action movie. There are no amazing villains like Andrew Ryan or Fontaine, or Shodan. No. Instead you're supposed to fear and respect an old dude with a beard. Oh and he's a racist. Wow, let's just hit all of the stereotypical bad guy traits on the checklist. So yeah, if he's that generic and he's supposed to be the antagonist, yawn-o-rama. Mr. Levin, you SHOULD have made this game in the future in the same vein as system shock 2. I was irritated when you did the whole bioshock back in time crap to begin with but I learned to like it because you made the story worthwhile. That's not the case with this Weird.... Thing.... *sighs* Infinite brings down the original bioshock just by carrying on its name and crushing the potential a true sequel could have realized. This thing is just an easy copy paste of bioshock with a much weaker generic story in the sky instead of under the water. It's not believable, it's not interesting, scary or heart wrenching, it's just boring. And that is the worst sin a game can commit. Please don't make another bioshock game set before 2000 AD Seriously... Enough with this old timer music and bizarre fetishism for the 1900s 1950s. It's not that appealing. Expand
  22. Mar 27, 2013
    Though it touches on topics revolving around racism, religion, rebellion and revenge, these themes take a backseat to BioShock Infinite's primary topic: Love. Whether it be a society in love with its own patented brand of American Exceptionalism, a leader in love with his own self-appointed immortal image, or a pair of people that come together to care for one another, BioShock Infinite is a love story.

And it's super duper incredipuley impossible story to fall in love with.
  23. Mar 31, 2013
    Over hyped, linear storyline, poor mechanics, choices are mere aesthetics, False advertisement, producers and developers clearly had no idea what they were doing, seems like they spent most of their money getting two people to write song about the damn game then clearly adding to the single player experience then taking away from it. example of why disappointed http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/fuusn2/bioshock-infinite-ten-minute-demo-gameplay Expand
  24. Apr 6, 2013
    Great game, good graphics good game play good story... All crippled by an out of date checkpoint save system. If you play this game MAKE SURE you can beat it in a few long sessions because if you want to play it in small increments, you WILL lose a lot of progress, sometimes half an hour or more, because the game designers think an inadequate checkpoint system is as good as letting you manually save.

Hell I would have been fine with an actual checkpoint system that works, how about every 5 minutes I get a checkpoint, instead of bouncing me back to half an hour ago?
  25. Apr 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am astounded by the many positive reviews. Aside from the graphics, this game is lame in every conceivable way. The "story" barely deserves that label. It's just a bunch of very tired time-travel and alternate-reality cliches piled on top of one another, with no semblance of character development or plot. The ending is senseless and depressing. And entirely bereft of logic. Why did DeWitt do what he did? Who were the two people following him around? What was the big bird?? And most important, if everything was predestined, why the should I care?? ASIDE from all that, the gameplay is really weak. The weapons lack precision, the kills are unsatisfying, the combat is poorly paced. And there are WAY too many on-rails segments. (Literally on-rails, not just metaphorically.) This 'game' is a barely-interactive embarrassment. I played it through to the bitter end so you don't have to. Trust me, it's not worth it. Expand
  26. Sep 17, 2013
    [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author]
  27. Apr 2, 2013
    Game is so bland and simple I got bored watching my gf play it for a few hours.

THeres absolutely nothing exciting in it. Story is immersion is meh, those flying platforms are just shortcuts for level design.

This title fails as a shooter and fails as a game
  28. May 15, 2013
    A VERY mediocre and average game probably the most over-hyped game of recent times.

If I see a review on an established gaming site and see a game given a rating of 9.0/10, I'd would expect a game which would capture me from start to end, with plenty of new ideas, amazing graphics and story, a game you simply cannot put down until you played it to the end.

Bioshock Infinite is a
    very average "run off the mill" shooter where you do what gamers do and did already for decades in first person shooters and there is nothing remotely innovative or new. The combat very quickly becomes extremely boring. The story is "bizarre" while at the same time, just a rehash of other, similar stories in countless FPS. Graphics are overall a joke, someone called it rightfully a "last gen" game. The only thing speaking for it are some "interesting" ways how the engine makes use of lights, but still from a technical perspective the graphics are abysmal, low poly-count characters/objects etc.

What bugged me most about this game was not only that it was a sub-average shooter with no new ideas, but that the player is forced to play in the same environment (that city) for the entire time. I became quickly tired of the appearance of the city which AT FIRST (right in the beginning!) was full of life, but later on becomes boring with repeated elements, the same mobs, the same weapons etc..etc..

I only had one "Oh Great!" moment, this was all the way in the beginning of the game where you enter that fair with all the characters and are eager just to stroll around and see the city and interact with the characters. But unlike a great sand-box style game where you would be able to continue to explore, the game then just becomes a mediocre shooter which rally doesn't bring anything notable to the table.

There is only ONE plus point I want to give the game: As someone else already mentioned, the game has a phenomenal, fantastic sound atmosphere. This worked so great that you can play with headphones and you can literally pin point the location of where a sound comes from, better than what I've seen (I mean: heard) in any other game today. For example: I remember early on in the game I was in a part of town and started to hear muffled, far-away music. I was able to find the source of the music "by ear" just by listening to the sound as only help. This is done exceptionally well.

As a side-note: This game in particular now will be my final proof never ever again to trust game reviews, including reviews by users here on MC. I see people rating this game a 10 saying "it is truly innovative" (which it is, BY FAR, not) and how the graphics are "fantastic". (They are "ok" for a modern system but far from "fantastic", let alone impressive). I also think its hilarious how so many are making the comparison to HL2, a game which is now 9 (nine!) years old. Ironically, HL2, although almost a decade old, had elements which are much better than this average, extremely overrated little game! Even the graphics of HL2, after about a decade can still stand up against this game, unless you are overly impressed by the better lighting effects of this game. Needless to say, HL2 (and many other games in that genre) did a lot of things better. THIS game is a game which I already forgot since there was nothing (literally) staying in my memory which one would expect from a "9 rated" game.
  29. Mar 30, 2013
    This game is liberal propaganda with overrated graphics. If you believe the moral strutcture of our society needs a serious overhaul and need to be informed of such with subpar graphics and linear gameplay, then this is the game for you!
  30. Apr 4, 2013
    Very boring and stupid. No comparison with Bioshock and sure SS2. Very weak gameplay, no hacking, no tactics, nothing! Just railshooter. All money was spent to bribe critics.
  31. May 3, 2013
    Like others, I'm confused as to why this game is being glorified as one of the best games ever made. I've run the gauntlet of pc gaming ever since the pre-Windows days and have had the pleasure of enjoying some of the most amazing pc games ever produced in history. With that said, this game is extremely average at best. I'm around 75% of the way through, and I'm struggling through the repetitive boredom to try and finish it.

Without rambling in to every single thing I'm disappointed in, I'll simply say a lot of the game is repetitive (almost every fight scene plays out the same way), boring (so much down time explaining a story that is too confusing to absorb the first time), and unnecessary (80% of the weapons, vigors, and clothing is rarely used).

It's a very disappointing game, and it's rather insulting to give something that is nowhere near a perfectly polished game such high reviews.
  32. May 30, 2013
    I still haven't finished it yet, not because its difficulty (its a way too easy), but because i got really bored. Where to start:
    Graphics looks good if you stand 2 meters away from the monitor. Once you look at textures and models you realizes how poor it is.
    NPC are just annoying, dumb and lifeless (and poor modelled).
    Game dynamics are just COD-style, nothing that vaguely resemble
    the original BioShock. No real choices, no tactics with plasmids (yes, you have vigors but once acquired electricity they become just useless and repetitive), no real challenge. This game is so easy that you could die only if you throw your character over the cliffs (and then you are reanimated by your annoying companion).
    If you really wanto to complete your BioShock collection, just wait some month and buy it on sale.
  33. Aug 19, 2013
    Exactly the path video games SHOULDN'T be taking. Dumb down every aspect of gameplay, throw in a cliche story to make the simpletons feel smart, and put the rest of your budget into marketing.

A shallow excuse for a sequel, and an even shallower excuse for a video game. This is a $60 flavor of the month title that will be forgotten within a few year, do not support these kinds of titles.
  34. May 4, 2013
    Absolute Rubbish. Sorry but this is not some groundbreaking tour de force. It is a VERY boring, very very dull run and gun. It's only "deep and meaningful" if you are a naive teenager and the graphics flatter to deceive. I am stupid enough to have paid over £20 for this on pc and it is a total waste of money. You cannot interect with people you just run about shooting things and suffering patronizing "clever" storytelling. YAWNTASTIC. I give it a 3 because it was interesting for the first hour and it hasn't crashed. All this pathetic hyperbole by reviewers is actually mystifying:- "visionary", "groundbreaking"....no not at all, in fact very mediocre, unless i've woken up in about 2003. MUST TRY HARDER Expand
  35. Jun 27, 2013
    >2 weapon limit >no special ammo >uninspired generic CoD weapons >all vigors are stun+damage, except that water push one >each weapon has an almost identical variant that doesn't even use the same ammo >Halo shield >no hacking >nothing like neutral Big Daddies, Handymen are just big gorilla like enemies >story was redid 6 months before release >linear as levels, bad design >no storing medpacks/salts to force Elizabeth to be relevant

Mediocre game that on a great series.
    RIP System Shock 2.
  36. Apr 6, 2013
    Well, because I'm not getting paid the game developer, nor working for a company (see: online review "magazine") that is getting greased by the game developer, I'm going to be honest. Bioshock is somewhat ambitious, but comes across as yet another unpolished, rushed, game with an unfinshed feel. A lot of the areas are lacking those little details that impress you without you noticing them, making the game environment feel kinda plain a lot of the time. The lighting effects are superb, and there's some great effects shown in the larger enviroments, such as the range blur, but the skins and textures are really banal.

I can think of a dozen games way better than this, so I don't see why all the critics are tripping over themselves to gush about it so much. Oh wait, ye$$$ I do. Take it from an experienced, impartial gamer Bioshock is nothing to write home about, save your money and get it for $10, cuz it's not worth $60.
  37. Apr 3, 2013
    I quite liked the storyline even though it was as obvious as the nose on your face, the end cinemagraphic was really a joy and well worth the praise it has already got. I was however disappointed in the gameplay, it was far too linear and nowhere near difficult enough. Each area was quite small and easily traversed without much difficulty, even towards the end it was far too easy to kill off the Bosses without using all the Vigors, ammo or specials that could Elizabeth could muster.
    Another annoyance was the skylines, they never really went anywhere..a quick trip around the block and that was it. Primarily used to get to another level within the level you were in so no use in navigating Columbia at all which would have been a nice touch.
    Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed this game, it is beautiful (in the near distance) and gripping and nostalgic (for old America (I'm not a Yank)) but I felt that it was all too easy and nowhere near big enough, I wasn't looking for a sandbox game like GTA or Saints Row but a bit more than a poke in the park that we ended up with would have been nice, after all it was just a small floating cloud city.
    I'm really surprised that it gets the huge scores it does but there you go, I can only base my score on what I have played before and I have been around a long time so I have a lot to compare against!

I think I will play it again but explore everywhere before moving on and see if it changes my mind.
  38. Apr 4, 2013
    I with all the other negative reviewers.this game is boring.An other reviewer said it best."Just because an idea is overly convoluted and complex, doesn't make it cool". The ending was muddled garbage.I used my ugly guns without needing those cheezy powers.Its too linear and it never too hard.No challenge at all.The person who watched me play said "thats it?" for a game that spends 3yrs in dev.The game should be longer.With no multiplayer?.With the voice of Jax Teller from son of anarchy"you've got be kidding me". Expand
  39. Apr 4, 2013
    Well the shooting is bad, the story is okay and the characters are somewhere in between bad and non existent. So how can i rate it?

Well as a piece of art, it is pretty good, but as a game, well, it is not a game, you are not supposed to be playing it, you are supposed to be admiring it, with your jaw lying on the ground.

So as a game, it's... disappointing in every possible way.

And the ending, I mean seriously? This? It's not even funny, it's just lazy.
  40. Apr 6, 2013
    Too much racism, fascism and chauvinism. second-rate plot second-rate plot copping the idea of the series Sliders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliders).
  41. Aug 27, 2013
    More like bio**** if you know what im saying....
    it's crap, boring weapons, very repetitive, ending written by a high dog about quantum worlds and ****
    because everyone knows what quantum mechanics mean, you can say al kinds of random and everyone's mind wil be ''blown''. Elizabeth seems to be ignored by al the enemies and just tosses you to make the game easier, because it's already
    extremely easy, you have regenerating shields just like al the modern shooters and the only threat is the boring ghost boss or the handymen who are just stupid bulletspunges. The e3 demo was a lie as well, stealth and choices aren't in the game (choices that change the game's story or gameplay). The weapon upgrades cost a ton so you will be only use the same weapons throughout the game and the upgrades are boring as hell, it's always +10 percent accurcy, damage, less recoil, you name it. People who call this game an artistic statement are just really ignorant. The game touches a lot of ''controversial'' topics, but none of them actually influence the main story. It's is just there to make an impact on people who have never read a good book because this story is Elizabeth seems to be totally shocked when you kill someone for the first time but continues to stop giving a afterwards and just throws weapons to you like it was her job.
    The graphics are rushed with a lot of blooming effects, which is cheap but i actually prefer such cartoon like graphics over realistic ones (although this game runs like even with my titan). Only if you are in to some good voice acting and some pretty enviroments this game can be worth about 10 dollars, but otherwise just stay away from it. I mean really people, how can this game with such a repetitive gameplay and cheap story be rated by some people as the best game ever.
    A huge dissapointment.
  42. Apr 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The only thing that is good is the basic idea of a floating city, not any of the politics. This game is basically a standard "white devil" game that attacks America, Christianity, Whites, and conservatives (and I mean some warped version of conservatives that liberals think conservatives are), the only people it is acceptable to attack anymore (dont forget men and heteros though), its so common that it doesnt bother me that much. I am used to liberal bias in games (for instance bioware but DA1 and ME were good otherwise) and I am not giving it a zero based on that, I just thought Id point this out. I judge people as individuals and believe in merit and personal responsibility, and know that any person could do the things that were done and not just straight white christian male conservatives are capable of evil.

In the first few minutes you are drowned in your baptism somehow with like 20 people around you in knee deep water with some warped pseudo version of christianity, and that is also the ending you must be drowned in another baptism type scene. It feels like the dev just hates Christianity tbh. I mean can you imagine if this game was about nationalist racist Jews and Isreal? It would never see the light of day and we all know it.

Its linear, ez mode, consolized trash, with boring powers, boring guns, dumbed down gameplay, trash UI, and a halo shield mechanic. Its like if you made bioshock 1 worse in everyway but also discriminatory and full of liberal propaganda. There is almost no RPG and no inventory. Its just bland, generic, and boring. None of the characters are interesting at all in the least and I had to quit half way through due to extreme boredom. There is no challenge. Elizabeth was interesting at first but it feels like you are just sent off on random tasks with no reason behind it or explanation, and I did watch spoilers of the ending so I know what happened, and its not interesting and doesnt make sense, you cant undo what you did by using knowledge of things that you are trying to undo, not even with multiple timelines because you STILL are relying on information you are attempting to erase, if anything it would just split again into two more multiverses.

The hard mode is extremely ez and I didnt know about 1999 until chapter 20 (when I quit), and u cant change difficulty mid game for some stupid reason (prob related to, lol, achievements). I mean why lock the hardest mode? Its a trend in gaming nowadays and its very annoying, I guess I need to research everygame and see if it has an unlockable mode that presents any sort of challenge, but not too much wont want people to have to try or adapt, nope gotta be spoonfed and babysat.

The guns suck and are boring, The enemies are small in number but come in waves so it is chaotic (seems like they spawn behind you at random and Im good at shooters and watch my flank). The abilities are also boring. You constantly run out of ammo so you have to swap to different guns since you can only carry two, or are forced to buy ammo. Girly throws you ammo sometimes but I dont like being forced to use w/e weapons are available if I dont want to waste money on ammo, so you can either be wasteful or have to constantly swap guns and hope they dont despawn on you. Also looting is terrible, there is no point in it b/c you pick up everything, it just wastes our time. The illusion of certain foods adding one state and decreasing another doesnt really matter, might as well let pickup be auto and not waste our time scrounging, since its a rail shooter with no inventory anyway. Low ammo caps just complicates the gun problem forcing you to swap, it doesnt make it harder in anyway, just annoying b/c I'd prefer to have a pistol and carbine.

There is no tactics or strategy needed, its spam bullets until you need shield or health, then hide, repeat. Summoning in other world isnt even interesting because they dont do much except let you toggle one benefit at a time, rather than do anything exciting. And apparently other universes are broadcasted on old crappy TVs with bad reception. The only thing you need to do is shock any difficult enemy and unload into them, and its EXTREMELY repetitive. Enemies take multiple headshots too, its just boring and stupid with obvious console limitations and terrible AI. The AI is basically path to you if they cant shoot you, and if they can see you they shoot from across the map.

And the enemies dont do too much damage or have decent aim, but your shield recharge slow and your guns take forever to kill anything and are inaccurate, aiming with ironsights seems to be LESS accurate for some reason and has massive recoil.

Another trash console money grabbing game not worth anyones time and blatantly discriminatory and offensive. I guess thats the price USA has to pay for being the greatest country on earth.
  43. Apr 3, 2013
    Same old FPS mechanics, about the same old gameplay as bioshock from a few years ago, the storylines decent but other than that pretty boring game, there is alot of good liberal propaganda though if you like that.
  44. Apr 9, 2013
    OK, this isn't a 1* game, but I did want to pull the average score down a bit. Bioshock Infinite is a good game generally, but it falls tantalisingly short of being a classic due to one, single, gapingly large flaw. And that, is the lack of a proper saving system. Bioshock Infinite ticks so many of the PC-Port boxes. You can tweak the FOV (to some degree), re-mapping the controls works well, graphics are decent quality and you can even skip the annoying intro videos (from the second time onwards anyway).

But instead of the simple and functional saving system of the first two games, they decided to implement a horribly flawed Checkpoint system instead. Sometimes checkpoints are close together, other times there's unacceptably large gaps between them. Take last night for instance, I'd been playing for a while, having fun, then the missus went to bed and I decided to quit the game and sleep as well. Only this was when Bioshock Infinite told me that if I did, I'd lose the last TWENTY MINUTES of gameplay. It then took me another TEN MINUTES of annoyingly trudging on until at long last I FINALLY triggered the next Checkpoint save so that I could exit. Even then, the checkpoint saving icon is woefully small and hidden, so you've often no idea when it last saved until you try and quit and read the time-stamp on the save file.

Sorry 2K, you got a lot of things right with Bioshock Infinite, but the awful checkpoint system really and badly spoils the game. End result, I WILL NOT pay for a game where the developer can't be bothered to implement a proper saving system. FULL STOP.
  45. Apr 9, 2013
    Well.. you Walk and look around, shoot sometimes and thats very much it. The Story is a bit confusing and nothing Special. Here and there it reminds me on Dishonored.
    I really dont understand all the Hype here.
    The only Positive things are Elisabeth, (Its kinda cool to have her around.) and the Steampunk setting.
    But after all its a short and Boring Game to me.
  46. Aug 26, 2013
    Visuals: Basic graphics. Poor animations. Terrible AI you can stand on an NPC and they just look blankly at you. Repetitive unrealistic signage. Crude environments that would actually be impossible to really live in. Obviously designed to be rushed past while you bang bang blam everything that moves. It's all as fake as a chess board.

Story: Really very lame various ideas are
    thrown into the pot with no attention paid to sense. It's not internally consistent. All of a sudden you get these magical "vigors" with no explanation. Powered by "salt". Very lazy ideas. Vigor dispensers are everywhere, so why doesn't everyone have them? WTF are these patriot machines doing everywhere? The whole story of the lamb why would you build such massively gigantic heavy statues on a floating world? Why is there a need for SO MUCH FORCE everywhere and yet residents act like there is none?

Shooting: Really all there is to it, bang bang bang. Enemies act completely stupidly and predictably at all times. This game really shows a totally simplistic and ugly American view of life in this world. It's quite sick really.

I hated it and if you loved it don't expect us to be hanging out together anytime soon.
  47. Apr 3, 2013
    The guys that voted 9 or something are probably coming from console, cause from a PC point of view the game is complete garbage: the model are really simple (console port), the color and caracter are super simple and animated not that well (poor console port) the caracter in the game are a total of 10 maybe, maybe less, and all of them look alike in apparences and behaviour (poor development?)

And don't let me started about the story, wich is full of holes, meaningless, somehow disturbing and in the end quite annoying (i just liked the SPOIL "10 second" of the story when the finger thing is revealed). The black people are the poor guys, then not, they are the bad ones, then not, all of them are bad, even you! Wow what a development...

Everything else is really garbage, and this game seems like a incomplete product pushed on the shelfes just for money making. And to use the Bioshock trend to sell a coplete different product is really not good...

I?m just happy that i got it for free, or i would have really wasted a lot of money for a mediocre game with nothing but hype behind it...
  48. Apr 6, 2013
    This could easily have been an interactive story versus a full blown FPS game which ends up diminishing the story with its Sierra (Roberta Williams) adventure-esque limitations and stylings such as invisible walls and very lackluster combat. The sense of chaos and inevitable sense of time acceleration into the final showdown that were in previous shock games are gone and so are the wickedly cool augmentations and hacking.

Oh well, I didn't make the game....beggars can't be choosers....
  49. Jun 5, 2013
    this review is copied from user Beast_Pot_Pie ecause his review reflects EVERYTHING I think of the game and packs it in nicer written english than I would have been able to write... quote: "- Decent lighting effects (overshadowed by low res textures) - Solid sound design and effects. Music in the game helps support the plot at points in creative ways. - Excellent, believable, voice acting. This is the strongest point of the game IMO.

Cons:

- Completely on rails experience. You have this amazing city in the sky, but you can't explore it. You can't use the sky rail to move from one side of the city to the other. There is no sense of exploration. Columbia is reduced to a bunch of kill hallways.

- No sense of atmosphere. You never forgot for a second that you were at the bottom of the ocean in Bioshock's Rapture. You'd hear creaking noises from the water pressure, and see leaking water from the outside coming in, etc. However, Columbia is not this way. You forget that you are floating in the sky unless you actively stop what you are doing to look at a building move slightly. This is the opposite of immersion.

- Bland, generic, boring, useless weapons. I used 2 weapons in this game (volley gun and pistol) for 95% of the game. Except for occasionally using the sniper and RPG, you don't need to use any other weapons. They are there as an artificial display of 'weapon diversity'. Even the guns I did use were boring even when fully upgraded.

- The vigors are completely unoriginal and boring. I did not need to switch between vigors as much as I should of.

- Atrocious enemy AI. They scream and run at you with a billy club while you have an RPG. They seem to take cover and uncover at scripted times.

- Key plot details are left in purposely out-of-your-way places (the Voxophones). If you don't stop everything you are doing and listen to them, then you won't understand the story and ending. This is horrible and lazy storytelling. The audio logs in Bioshock 1 complemented the story, they were not essential to it.

- The story is incredibly convoluted and poorly written, and a lot of complex details are rushed in and thrown at you during the last 20 minutes, so you are sure not to understand. Terrible pacing. Complexity is not a substitute for quality.

- The game is about 8 hours long. This is just downright insulting. Spend $60 to play an 8 hour game? A horrible, boring, poorly written, game no less?

- False Advertising: This was a completely different game than what was shown in the E3 demos. I understand developers sometimes have to cut things out here and there for time reasons. But this was full-on Aliens:Colonial Marines-like false advertising. Watered down visuals (no dynamic lighting), watered down physics (small objects in the world don't get picked up by Bucking Bronco like they did in the demo), watered down animations, watered down enemy AI, and watered down textures. Even the sky-rail is better implemented than the final product. I don't care if it was 'because of consoles' or not. No reason is justified for lying to us. I have no idea why Irrational is not getting sued like Gearbox did.

This is the entire game: You go to an area, shoot some enemies, loot, talk to Liz or have a cutscene, then rinse and repeat. Game of the year? Are you joking?

If you liked the first two Bioshocks in any way, do not buy this game. It is an insult to the Shock series of games.

There was not one second of this game where I could say it was "game of the year" and "completely groundbreaking" and "setting a new standard for video games" or any of the other hyperbole tossed around from gaming publications."

end quote

seriously, all the superlatives and claims of Bioshock Infinite being "Game of the year" are just a bad joke!
    even worse, those claims made by gaming publications are evidence for the industry buying their good reviews!
    otherwise I couldn't explain how magazines, e.g. Kotaku, Destructoid, GameStar, etc. pp., basically ALL_THE_OTHERS would overlook EERY SINGLE ISSUE this game has and there are just too many, small and bigger.

but, I have to admit, I even find it more troubling, that so_many_gamers seem to not see these problems/faults for themselves...
    I suspect these are mainly younger gamers and/or this generation has forgotten how to form an own opinion, without being introduced to one by some gaming-outlet.

it really is SAD! sad and despicable at the same time... maybe I am getting old (sure I am), but I am deeply thankful that I was raised in a time, where PC games looked aweful. this helped me greatly to see beneath the graphics and all the polish (mainly because there wasn't any) and care for the mechanics and the GAMEPLAY of a game in the first place!

I would NOT say it is a horrible game BUT IT IS NOT A MASTERPIECE either!
    I'd give it 7 points, but it's a 0 to even the score out a bit more
  50. Apr 13, 2013
    So lets start with the good. Beautiful art does pay off and terrible graphics are not that obvious. Story is somewhat interesting but falls off quickly and in the end turns out to be lazy. Game play is extremely boring and generic 2000 shooter game play. In grand scheme of things this game is absolutely terrible. This game is the biggest joke ever.
  51. May 28, 2013
    I was expecting something great. I was hoping for a quality game for once. I was disappointed once more.

Nothing about Bioshock Infinite is exceptional. Everything about it is mediocre. I won't try to compare it to the others and treat it as a completely separate game and take it for what it is. Gameplay is repetitive. Sound is normal. Graphics are too demanding for how little they
    bring to the table. Gunplay feels quite nice but limited ammo and weapons you can carry breaks all the fun. I never even bothered to use the vigors. The upgrades aren't even worth mentioning.

However what killed this game was the story.
    I won't go into detail because I don't want to spoil it nor is there any point in explaining it thoroughly, however it is clear that when this game was starting its development process, it had a completely different concept in mind. I have no idea how they managed to twist it all into this disaster of an ending but it seems to me like they simply didn't have the mental capability to understand the concepts upon which this story was constructed, which ultimately lead to it's natural collapse into a mess of absolutely unjustified, completely unreasonable and mortifyingly irrational decisions, left indefinitely out of your control.

Stay away from this if you have a brain and can use it. If you don't, I can easily see how this game would appear as "brilliant" to you.
  52. Jun 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pros:

- Decent lighting effects (overshadowed by low res textures)

Cons:

53. Jun 18, 2013
    i don't understand why this game has a 94 metacritic score.It's a linear FPS with boring gameplay.The story is decent but it's not enough.The only good character is Elizabeth.Booker is bland.It has no replay value whatsoever and thank God it doesn't have MP because it would be even worse

final score 4/10
  54. Jul 18, 2013
    This game is just another over hyped piece of crap. I loved the first Bioshock and the second was pretty good. This game shouldn't even be allowed to be called Bioshock. The game is pretty but that doesn't make a game good. It was super easy and repetitive. It's nothing more than a glorified shooter. Nothing about it screamed Bioshock. I realize that since this takes place before Rapture, there aren't Plasmids, but "Vigors", but they're all stupid and useless. The AI are dumb and the weapons are terrible. You basically stick with two the whole game. Elizabeth isn't a very helpful AI. She's super annoying. Every 30 seconds I'm being tossed some salts or currency while I'm in combat. There is literally no exploration in this game what-so-ever. If you want to "explore", you need to have lock picks for Elizabeth to unlock doors for you. The story makes zero sense until you get to the ending. I don't understand why people have a hard time understanding it, It's an extremely easy concept to grasp. I understand it better than the people who adore this game, and I hate it. So that should say something about the nitwits who think that this game is a masterpiece. Overall this game was a huge waste of $60. Never buy into the hype for video games, because you will always get burned. Expand
  55. Aug 25, 2013
    As a lot of people have said, overrated and over-hyped.

The story takes itself too seriously and ends up making no sense, trying to stand out but failing. Gameplay is very bland, giving you limits on how you play the game. Vigors (the new plasmids) are completely irrelevant to gameplay but only a few times. The sky rail mechanics are broken and should not be used at all if on higher
    difficulty.

I hate how people are so blinded by JUST the story and Elizabeth, who is the only interesting character in the game. Booker is a boring, static, and cliche protagonist. The AI are absolutely retarded when fighting. The handyman is the only exception to the bad enemy AI.

Graphics are bland and covered by bloom, hdr, and lighting effects. Textures are mediocre to poor.

The BI team obviously focused too much on story-telling to make this a top notch shooter. The only reason I gave this a two because of the good ideas and concepts (floating city, steampunk/dieselpunk style, enemy design). I hate to be writing a review like this, but I just can't get into this at all.
  56. Jul 25, 2013
    For the mind-bogglingly stupid save system alone, this doesn't deserve more than 5/10. It completely ruins any appeal the game has. Sure, if you're a teenager, unemployed or for some other reason have ENORMOUS amounts of free time, you won't give a about possibly having to play parts over again because you're not quite sure when the game saved the last time. Or maybe you'll even finish it in one sitting.
    But weird as I am, I don't want to play for hours straight. I like to have pauses in between playing. I like to do other things too. Which is why playing Bioshock Infinite frustrated me to no end, since I kept wondering when I can finally stop playing. Until I realized that the save symbol only flashes for like half a second.
    Add the fact that the graphics aren't really up to snuff (the way this game performs on high end machines considering it's fairly low detail models and textures is just not acceptable) and you get to the 3/10 I have arrived at. It's a shame because I really wanted to like this game. I loved Bioshock 1 AND 2 and thought the story of this one really showed promise. But there's no way I am going to continue playing this game until they fix the save system.
  57. Apr 17, 2013
    It's generic shoot 'em up with a better than average story that goes haywire in the end. I really don't know how critics can give this game so high score. It's 6+/10 at it's best no more!.
  58. Apr 9, 2013
    After having played this for a while I drop my rating to zero. Just violence and killing to the extreme kills story and plot. If I want a straight out shooter I get Call of Duty but with Bioshock Infinite everything plays background to the killing. Only saving Elizabeth felt good but only to have her as a killing partner. Things like having to turn around to catch things from her and getting killed and very weak plasmas and vendors with really nothing much substantial to sell and money scarce it makes the game just a straight out shootathon and killathon.

I love all types of games as well as games like Far Cry 3 and Black Ops 2 but I bought Bioshock because I wanted something different from just a FPS and it's nothing but. Nothing is highly developed in this game except killing. The vendors and plasma are rubbish and I found that there was nothing to immerse me in the game. I know there is killing in all Bioshock games but to me this was the only part that was emphasized above everything else. There were very few high points in the game such as finding Elizabeth and working with her. Flying around was awfully done. Getting a new plasma didn't feel like an event. At first I didn't even know I got a plasma. The game just put all the emphasis on killing. I have to give it a zero as there's nothing that sets it apart from games like Black Ops 2 and Far Cry 3 to make me want to play it. I wasted my money.
  59. May 18, 2013
    looks like today for a good game you just need American flag and founding fathers!? This game tries to be serious, but deeply fails.

Great hype!!!!!!
  60. Apr 14, 2013
    I went into this game with high expectations. I haven't played either of the other Bioshocks but they are toted as some of the best games ever made. However, after finishing this i am disappointed. The story, which is what seems to be the only redeeming factor is ok. I didn't see the end coming but that doesn't make it any better. The game play, which in my opinion is what the game should be judged by is crap. The guns are essential split between Comstock's Guard's guns and the Vox's, they both do the same thing but one is painted red. The vigors overlap each other far too much or are just not fun to use. I went through using mostly crow storm and devils kiss, neglecting the other 6 for the most part. The spacing between when you get new vigors and guns is terrible. 2/3 of the way through you get 6 of the 8 vigors and only in the last 45 minutes of game play you get the last one. I don't understand it. The enemies are lackluster. You shoot at the blues or the reds, it makes little difference because they're the same enemies. By the end of the game they become little more than bullet sponges. The "special" enemies are little better. The few times they show up they provide little challenge but manage to take up more time than anything else. It is a good story, but not a good game. I would enjoy this much more if it were a book or a movie. Something that i could go back through in little time to pick up on the things i missed but the gameplay is so bland that i have no want to go back and find out more about the Luteces or about Comstock and his wife. If you want to know the story about this game look it up on youtube because for $60 it is not worth it. Expand
  61. Sep 5, 2013
    This game is abysmal. Complete waste of time and I'll apologize, but not worth a long review.
    Game play, mechanically speaking, as an FPS is disgustingly simple and usually bad and inconsistent. The weapons are not good with very little noticeable difference in "upgrades".
    The story is boring and drags on; Columbia is no Rapture. It was so bad I walked away for 5 months and then
    decided to finish it before uninstalling and that was a mistake. The ending is worthless drivel.
    BORING. I can't believe all the people that think this passes as even a remotely good game. Complete waste of time and money in every respect (and I loved Bioshock).
  62. Apr 30, 2013
    the worst and most overrated game in the history of gaming.. it's terrible really, it's extremely tedious, it literally has the most repetitive gameplay ever, You spend the whole game shooting the same people in different places, jeez they even all have the same model, it really feels like you're killing that same guy millions of times, and damn that guy just wont die.. It's below average, the gameplay has nothing special, it's a normal shooter, they added some "super-powers" trying to give a false feeling that this game has something special, but those powers are just a week imitation of mass effect 3 and other ARPG games.. the game is full of redundant missions, just to make more tedious gameplay hours, like that mission where you get the electricity ability, or when that rebel takes your plane, so you go bring her some weapons from a gunsmith, which leads to another useless mission.. Sky city environment is kinda good.. but nothing is really thrilling about the graphics, cartoon-ish graphics can be good but they never can be awesome.
    I was playing far cry 3 for the second time (repeating outposts) while playing Bioshock,, and i definitely enjoyed far cry 3 second-side-missions-walkthrough way more than bioshock infinite.
  63. Apr 15, 2013
    The original beats this in every way. The Vigors (new abilities) and gear (New tonics) are crap. The story starts off strong but quickly degenerates into a a bad episode of the twilight zone. The enemy AI is horrid, and the levels are large and mostly empty and dead feeling. I doubt anyone will enjoy the new sky rail as it is nothing more than a novelty. As a Bioshock fan I was deeply disappointed. 1999 mode was a joke as well and easily beaten. Expand
  64. Apr 13, 2013
    The good: it provides about 20 hours of single player monotony, graphics aren't the worst
    The bad: Everything else.

Being realistic, I'd have to say this game is NOT worth $60. Half that maybe. Luckily I got this game for free so I can write this review without any influence from having purchased the game. I can not understand how or why this game gets reviewed so highly. The
    graphics are in the range of DECENT to GOOD. They are not worthy of being called "amazing" or "incredible". Crysis 3 had incredible graphics. This game looks like its running off the Unreal 3 engine, oh wait that's right it is... I find it irritating that they try to mix realistic lighting effects with over-saturated, cartoon like color pallets and character designs. Nothing fits together in this games design choices. It's almost as if there were multiple art directors each in charge of their own bits of the game and they did not coordinate on anything!

The sound is pathetic. They obviously spent a lot of time recording their own mish mashed songs that are combinations of their own "creative" writing as well as bits of real world classics, than they did on any of the ambient sounds or weapon sounds. There is a decent amount of dialogue from the primary characters as well as random NPCs but for a game that you supposedly get "lost" in, I did not find the experience very convincing. Oblivian had more natural dialogue than this game. With that said, another big gripe of mine is that there are these collectible audio recordings that you find throughout the game that you can listen when you pick them up. Doing so results in all other sounds being almost muted during the playback. The developers saw fit to place these near areas where hearing the in game sounds would be useful as well, so while you're listening to a recording, an enemy has noticed you and started firing. This is further complicated by the dialogue between you and the Elizabeth character since her dialogue has the same drowning effect as the recording playbacks. Brilliant!

The story is silly and unoriginal. The game has a real opportunity to go somewhere with it and it flat lines the whoooooole game. Most of the game will be spent searching crates, barrels, and bodies for items and money so that you can buy upgrades for the one or two weapons you'll decide to stick with since you couldn't possibly upgrade all of the weapons that are all VERY similar. Also lock picks will be needed to unlock rooms full of one item and maybe a safe, which you will need more lock picks for so that you can always discover that it only has around $200 in it. Literally every safe has this in it. Never an item or anything. Always around $200. Apparently all people in an alternate past/universe with a safe will only ever store around $200 in them... How exciting!

This game just feels like Bioshock in the sky, which it is, but that is not a good thing... Game and level design should have progressed in the past 5 years or so. This might as well be a rail shooter. Very Linear. Even the "choices" that the game presents you do not have any impact on the progression of the storyline. This game tries hard to develop characters, but it generally fails. The plot "twist" is a joke and basically defeats the purpose of the game.

I could go on and on about all of the things that make this a mediocre game but I'll leave it to you to find out the rest.
  65. Jul 30, 2013
    Never understood all the love for this game. In my opinion, this game is just overrated and overhyped. One of the best games of all times? Not even close. Sorry
  66. Apr 18, 2013
    This game is very dull and linear, I loved the first Bioshock never finished the sequel and that one stayed on my hard drive for less than 24 hours.

Its not a very challenging game, and it gets very shallow and repetitive fast. If you re an older gamer and used to love the first Half Life by example, you may want to pass on this one .

Pretty graphics dont make a good game.
  67. Apr 29, 2013
    I don't usually do this, but the score this game has been getting is a flat out lie. Honestly, it should be a 5-7 rating, I'm just trying to weigh in.

The game itself is not bad. The presentation was amazing, I loved the graphics and audio. And its functional: you run around, shoot things, and use powers. But that's it, as far as game-play goes. It doesn't really add anything
    substantial to what Bio-Shock already did (yeah the skylines were neat, but mostly forgettable). Elizabeth as an AI is nothing spectacular the award winning trailers are a shameful *lie*, none of the cool things they were claiming would be in the game are actually there. She's an invulnerable NPC that follows you around, leans against walls, and gives you stuff.

All of that would've been fine, but the story... that's where I went from having an "ok" time playing to downright hating the game. The characters lack definition and coherence, I never got a good sense of who they were, what they were doing, and why. They changed their tone and motivation from one scene to another, and the ones that didn't were just flat and one-dimensional. There were scenes that would have been perfectly fine on their own, but there was never any meaningful progression between them due to the inconsistent character development. In the end I just didn't care about any of them, downright despised Elizabeth (I really wanted to like her), and was glad when it was over.

The narrative itself isn't anything special. It makes no commentary that stands out on it's own, it just basically regurgitates the popular opinion that's already been well established in the mainstream, but manages do it in a way that's both pretentious *and* condescending at the same time! It has no grasp on the subject matter (if there is any) and no grasp on the characters, but pretends to have both. Not every game needs to say something profound through it's narrative, but it should at least *know* what's it trying to do and what it isn't. The problem with BS:I is that it thinks it's something it's not, and is very obviously pleased with itself.

It seems to me that the reason it's been getting such high marks is mainly due to hype, where people have convinced themselves that this game *has* to be an outstanding artistic success, or else the reviewers themselves happen to align with it's superficial take on human nature and don't mind that it's execution is frankly embarrassing. If you don't mind any of that, then you might have a good enough time running around shooting things. Or maybe you're simply a fan of the series. Either way, I would recommend you buy the game but strongly suggest you not spend $60 on it. It's worth $20 bucks... maybe. But if you care about a well-told story with strong, believable characters that you actually care about, I recommend you only try the game as an example of how *not* to tell a story through a game.
  68. May 10, 2013
    Don't believe the media, this game is just another stylized call of duty clone. The most frequent argument of fans is about storyline, but who cares about it if it's still unplayable? I actually don't want to smash LMB+W for 10 hours just to learn new things about in-game pretty cliche world events. First game of franchise was really awesome, a new word in rpg genre, this one doesn't has anything with original, putting player on railway through copy-pasted bad designed decorations. These pseudo contrasts of blue and yellow colors are also awful, while being crammed on each square meter, making sick after first 10 minutes. Expand
  69. May 12, 2013
    This game is a joke. Easily the most over rated and over hyped game in recent years. The graphics are laughable at best, the enemy ai may as well not exist, which obviously means the game is terribly easy to beat...in ONE sitting. Sure up the difficulty to the 1999 mode, then it will take you two sittings to beat. This game rode on the success of its previous titles and relied on hype to make sales. Bottom line, bad graphics, no challenge, takes no time to beat, no replay value. Expand
  70. May 17, 2013
    Extremely overrated game. Combat is a major lackluster it uses a cheap but emotionally stunning plot twist at the end which could last for days until you wake up and realize that this game has major flaws. Apparently all those "official" reviews were still dreaming while scoring it.
  71. May 27, 2013
    I am very disappointed. There are many thing I hate about this game. It was like a Call of Duty. I hate shooting enemies by scope. Enemies are too far, and they have rifles. I loved previous Bioshock, it didn't need to use scope, I like to shoot enemies from close range. I loved the maniac enemies who come to kill with knifes or sticks. I loved the dark, creepiness. BioShock Infinite, too many guns, bombs flying around, places are too bright. The worst thing about this game brought the story about slavery, racist, that just made the game too serious and real.

I love shooting enemies from close range, but not zombie games, there are too many zombie games and movies. I like enemies who are maniac humans or monsters. Aliens vs. Predator 2010 was like that, but it was a bad game, too many xenomorph,they were too annoying, a player had to run away and shoot to stay alive. And I don't like xenomorph. Metro 2033 was a perfect.
  72. Jun 1, 2013
    People should really know the difference between graphics and aesthetics. The game looks nice, but not really graphics wise. Muddy textures were cleverly hidden by post-processing trickery. The story is shallow and makes use of multi-dimensional to make up for it. Intelligent people would only get the game, people would say. They treat quantum mechanics as magic and use it as cop-out for plot holes in the story. I don't understand the 10s and 9s that people give to this game. The game mechanics is not even that perfect. Why should it even be called a video game if you don't even emphasize the game mechanics. Increasing difficulty increases enemy sponginess? Why can't you carry more than two weapons anyway? The weapon upgrades are meaningless, as the upgrades would only be countered by increased health of generic enemies, I should say. The weapons don't even feel that powerful because they don't stop your enemies on their tracks. All this flaws are then discarded because of the awesome ending? Biggest cop-out in a video game in this generation, more like. Infinite became meaningless with constants and variables. I scored 4 because of the aesthetics of the game, the sounds and the whole flying city thing. Not game of the year or even game of the generation material, as some people that has fallen to its mediocre plot and "mind-blowing" twist and ending. Buy Metro: Last Light instead. Expand
  73. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Eu caí para o hype e comprei porque de todos os comentários, mas não gosto nada disso. Um atirador medíocre na melhor das hipóteses, com gráficos ultrapassados ​​e desinteressantes cenário e história.
    uma atmosfera colombiana horrivel um lixo completo!
    .....
  74. Jul 11, 2013
    This game is a direct attack on Christianity. It is massive propaganda, using Bible quotes, Christian paintings, the whole arsenal to make the people who play it doubt the intentions of Christianity, by portraying an awkward, and even occult image for it. It may confuse children, and it may make non-religious people have a more hostile attitude towards Christianity. I don't want to write a novel here. All in all, the game is playing with some important religious values and messes everything up. If it's not plain brainwashing, it's intensive propaganda wrapped up in beautiful graphics. I would seriously doubt the intentions of its creators. Expand
  75. Jul 30, 2013
    some people just are not too interested in gameplay; specifically creating games for people who don't care about gameplay is just the height of stupidity. Which is why I'm wondering why this game was made. There is a difference between play-testing to find obvious problems that arise in pacing when developers get too attached to their work, and stripping out everything but the most basic elements because one of your testers got stuck walking down a straight corridor. It's what you get when a) the people pulling the strings aren't gamers and b) you are beholden to create a mass entertainment product for as wide an audience as possible, but I'm pretty sure that Michael Bay's films wouldn't sell any fewer tickets if the script wasn't awful, there wasn't product placement every 5 seconds, and they got some decent actors. Expand
  76. Aug 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. graphically it's appealing however it's c,o,d gameplay lack of difficulty and very poor cliche' story bioshock infinite is highly disappointing in both my reviewer sense and personal sense, from it's first showing at 2010 to 2013 most elements of: open-world, story, uniqueness, and "feel" were all taken away in the 3 year transition and the ending was so forced that spending more time on it is pointless and while it looks very great for a 7th gen game, looks can't make a game good, to add on the game's score it was hyped up and only set itself for a hole that irrational will never get out of and now (my personal thoughts) i spent 150 us dollars on pre-orders hoping for a experience much like i had with the first 2 infinite was so bad that only after 2 playthroughs (one for personal, one to make this review, i have been waiting to make this review for months i am planing to a good friend of mine the dlc i am not getting the game is ASS just give the game and everything it came with to Expand
  77. Apr 11, 2013
    Vigors are completely non-relevant to the game. Except for opening a couple of doors, you can do the entire game with guns. Also, after months of hype about the Handyman, making us think he was this game's Big Daddy, he shows up a whopping 3 times. 3 times?!?! Are you kidding me? Story was OK. ..not great....but ok. Action was sporadic at best. Compared to the first 2 games, this was a failing effort. It blows my mind that so many simpltons are praising this when clearly, despite all the delays, this was a very rushed effort. Expand
  78. Apr 13, 2013
    Infinite sets out to be a bioshock game but fails to grasp what made Bioshock 1 good. Bioshock 1 and 2 was set in a city under the sea and this not only made for some interesting environments and Lighting but also gave you a much greater feeling of decay and danger seeing how the city was gradually being reclaimed by the sea. These feelings are lost in infinite largely due to the inabillity to look out of most windows and the fact that thers no real sense of danger if a window or even an entire wall breaks.

Another thing that this game lacks is the use of plasmids (or vígors as they call it), sure they exist in the game but the only enemies that actually uses any seems to be the Zelot and fireman making alot of the combat dull and generic. They also lack a good explenation to why or how these vigors where invented in ifinite making it feel like they where just thrown in at the last minute.

One small thing that i miss that you can no longer see the difference on your weapons or plasmids after upgrades. I also think that it is very sad that they dont have puzzles like lock-picking and hacking.

But even rating the game without looking at the games that came previously in the series does not make it better. The story started ok but made less sense the longer i played and resulted in a rather lackluster ending after a few uses of the plot progression tool known as "rifts". The Graphics are not terrible but lags behind as most console titles tend to do and it only supports checkpoint saving.

The game is also laughably easy due to 3 reasons: Regenerating Shields, Elisabeth keeps you rather well supplied with ammunition, Health, salt and coins and If you die you will just get ressurected closte to where you died and lose some Money.
  79. Dec 15, 2013
    This is a good game on it's own. But compared to the original Bioshock and System Shock it is crap. As far as a Shock game i was very dissapointed even though I played through it twise (one time on 1999 mode, hoping for a bit of the old feel, but no).
    While Bishock and Systemshock feelt "real" and dynamic in a way few games do, Infinite feels more like a bland rail shooter. It is not
    really a shock game anymore, you don't even have a map! (because you don't need one in this "corridor" shooter!)

And while the splicers in the original Bioshock feelt very thoughtout and fitting to the setting, they just copied them to what is supposed to be regular humans in Infinite, taking another well thought out game setting and turning it totally unlogical. In Bioshock, crazy splicers jumping at you in frenzy make total sense. In Infinte regular policemen doing the same, not so much.

They had the good sense to not involve nps:s in the first Shock games to much, in Infinte again, they just screw it up with populating the world in some areas with these "robots", just taking away from the feeling this is a real place.
    The best things about the game are Elizabeth as a character and as an AI. Very impressive. Also the story is interesting, but not as involving as in the original Bioshock. I had to judge this as a 0 to counter the ridiculous scores from people who seem to know nothing about games or what the Shock series is even about. This is a Shock for the CoD generation.
  80. Apr 7, 2013
    Good:
    • Some highly imaginative set pieces/designs, a lot of which are cool to look at.
    • The partner AI is excellent not only in following you but she's invulnerable, opens locked doors, and gives you health and supplies during combat. Too bad I didn't care about her in the slightest (unlike a well-written game like Half-Life and its Alyx Vance).
    • Interesting that the doors open
    automatically. I wouldn't use this as the new normal in all games since it would be horrible for stealth, but it works in this game.
    • The quote from random thug: "How much blood you got in you, boy?" is badass and amazing. The only decent writing in the entire game.

Bad:
    • Horrible, horrible story and writing. Almost unbearable to the point of me quitting the game but I had to see if it got better in the ending. It didn't. I would give specifics but I want to avoid spoilers. Basically it just uses deus ex machina type bullcrap to do anything it wants whenever it wants. Combined with a make-believe world and characters that you don't care about because they don't make you like them (even though you're playing first-person as one of them), they don't explain them, and some even appear/reappear randomly. Combined as well with no effects from any of your actions (most of which are just "press X when we tell you to continue the story")... There's no way I could possibly care about anything in the game.
    • The gameplay is like a serial killing run at Disneyland. All the violence is there for pure shock value/teenage "fun", with no weight or meaning whatsoever.
    • Despite the above, you can't kill children. I guess that's where they draw the line in their heads (read: lawyers). I shot a random family with a rocket launcher and the child had to watch his parents explode in front of him since he was invulnerable and he just got on his knees and cried lol.
    • Despite the above, and all the other dreamy fantastical magical stuff in the game, they decided to keep the racism of the time period and hate black people. Nice. Lawyers didn't care about that one I guess.
    • The game desperately needs a minimap/map/location finder/pins on a compass or the hud. The destination arrow it gives isn't good enough. You have to press the button a million times and guess where it's taking you and it's harder to see than say, the one in Dead Space. The levels are huge, multi-tiered/3D and confusing and destinations vague.
    • The faces of women and children are 10% Disney character and 90% nightmarish. Men are semi-decent though, wth?

Decent/nothing-special:
    • The skyline riding/hanging. It's just simply a mainly optional mechanic in the game. It's too fast and hectic to really be useful or fun, especially in first person and when you can't even tell where you're going when you're just on the ground.
    • The music
    • The voice acting
    • Other basic gameplay like shooting/collecting

It's very sad to see this game get such high praise and I have zero understanding why it got so many 10/10 reviews. Some games I would consider giving perfect tens to: Dishonored, Tomb Raider, Oblivion/Skyrim, Deus Ex: HR, Psychonauts, Beyond Good & Evil, Ys Origin, Half-Life series, Alan Wake series. This is not even close. I even preferred the other two Bioshocks.
  81. May 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock Infinite is not a game that is what it sets out to be and what many people claim. It is and has been from the beginning trying to being taken seriously. So I took it as seriously as possible and in the end it ended up me being disappointed. The game is nothing more than a normal first person shooter. The game which gives you quite a few vigors and quite a few guns makes you pretty much pick your favorite two since in the end you won't have enough money to have too many. While a lot of the plot tries it's hardest to get a narrative going it doesn't truly stick to one other than its multiverse theory. Which it does not deliver a good and meaningful ending that it has been bragging about since the first trailer which showed quite a lot of promise. It kept to the insanity of the old Shock games while being in this serene seeming place.
    Instead of Elizabeth just throwing you med kits and tearing portals open she would strengthen your vigors which seemed amazing. She would actually be helpful instead of helpful in the way of finding an item on the ground is. The complete lack of changing how she acts throughout the item giving process can complete kill any mood the plot has set up. In one scene where she feels betrayed by Booker she complete refuses to talk to him and only utters comments that are to make him feel worse. Then the next second you're in a battle and she happily says, "Here take this health kit." I literally bursted out laughing.

They also try throughout the game to make Comstock and his white elistest into these bad men, which can be done there is nothing I will say about that. But then halfway through the game you enter a portal where the Vox Populi are now these horrible people which makes the gesture of the game going, "Well see we're not racist or picking sides." Which is a cop-out. As well as in the section where you're in the museum and Comstock retells these tragic events that were horrid and not truly knowing what happens unless you learned in history what actually happened it makes absolutely no impact nor does it matter because it amounts to nothing other than say, "Oh look he's a bad guy."
    Finally at the end of the game where they want to make such an impactful resolution to end up their game that is to be taken seriously, what they do is end Booker's life and somehow that takes away all of what Comstock did. How could this be true? An adult Booker and only one Booker out of the infinite number of them has decided for it. What about the one we saw just before the ending? What if he decided No Ii don't want to die? Then it wouldn't do anything. It explains nothing and gives an end to this very mediocre game.
    Bioshock Infinite should be taken for what it is. A normal first person shooter type of game that says, "Oh look at the pretty graphics. Look we are going to put a slightly arbitrary plot that we can't fully explain or give meaning to while giving characters with little to no depth. We are clearly one of the best games out there." and somehow it worked. I enjoyed it for a little while before it started sinking in and it made me dislike it. I felt like I was playing a dumbed down version of Bioshock with a wider appeal to the casual first person fanbase.
  82. Jun 4, 2013
    Um dos títulos mais overrated que já mentiram sobre meus olhos. Pessoas elogiá-lo para gráficos, pena que eu não possa vê-los através da flor, as pessoas elogiá-lo para o jogo viciante, pena que eu não possa apreciá-lo por ser forçado através de uma meia hora da cidade correndo ou entre o esconderijo obrigatório devido incapacidade de realizar medkits itens de recuperação de alimentos que foi substituída pelo sh regenerativa ield de Halo ou os idiotas decisões de design desajeitado, como alternar agachar ou a quantidade insana obrigatória de paredes invisíveis, as pessoas elogiá-lo para a história, a vergonha que há algo chamado de livros que não necessitam de cutscenes de alimentação forçada para baixo sua garganta ou áudio-logs para baixo seus ouvidos. Pelo que tenho visto até agora durante o jogo, este mais um jogo que tenta levá-lo emocionalmente envolvido e não oferece nenhum mecânica originais ou envolvente jogo-jogo, bem como da Telltale TWD que a única explicação que posso pensar por que as pessoas seria tão ingênuo, com os seus "10/10" pontuações sendo flinged como poo de um macaco com uma fralda cheia. Ter pessoas comparam isso com Half-Life com uma cara séria como eles são entregues um monte de dinheiro em vending-machines para HP & Skills ou dado habilidades regenerativas escudo em uma placa de prata (literalmente) me faz sentir mal Expand
  83. Jun 10, 2013
    Eu realmente não entendo por que as pessoas estão tão sobrecarregadas por este jogo. Vamos ver a primeira coisa gráficos, Bem, isso um ardil tão inteligente, tudo o que flor, nevoeiro e eixos de luz estão bem colocados para cobrir modelos pobres e texturas em geral (e eu não sou uma pessoa que elogiar gráficos, mas isso simplesmente não podia ser ignorado). A próxima coisa zonas de colisão horríveis, num primeiro momento, não foi um grande negócio, mas tornou-se cada vez mais chato. Também a dificuldade muito baixo eu não posso nem imaginar como fácil o jogo poderia começar em dificuldades mais baixas. História e os personagens são misturar de vários clichés com vários altos e baixos e para ajudante vez finalmente útil sobre o AI inimigo contrário bastante pobre e você vai ver grande número de inimigos stucked em algum obstáculo. Há também o fato desagradável que este jogo só abraçar checkpoint salva. Assim, não sendo um fanboy nem inimigo que tenho a dizer Infinito Bioshock um jogo bastante médio com uma enorme campanha publicitária, eu estou feliz eu tenho a minha cópia gratuita porque senão eu ficaria realmente muito raiva de mim mesmo por desperdiçar dinheiro. PS para todas as pessoas que dizem que Bioshock melhor avaliado FPS da história basta verificar Half Life 2 e veja por si Colapso Expand
  84. Jul 15, 2013
    It worries me that this game has so many positive reviews. It's the epitome of mediocrity. Poor story, gameplay, graphics, and difficulty (way too short and easy) will leave you wanting to replay the original.

The gameplay is incredibly mediocre and provides no challenge whatsoever. There is absolutely no need for the salts (magic feature) as well.

What irks me the most is Bioshock
    Infinite's story (or lack of). It's extremely disappointing seeing sequel to a game with a very good story so cheesed up. The story also contradicts itself many times. The characters are also extremely cheesy.

The set pieces look decent enough from afar but nothing to phone home about, and once you get close to them they're pixel messes. The faces on bodies of the humans and characters however are extremely uncanny.

The difficulty is embarrassingly easy and provides no challenge. Most of the game seems to be shoot baddies cheesy dialogue shoot baddies repeat.

To conclude, the game is the definition of mediocre, and left me just wanting to go back and play the original Bioshock the entire time. At least the original did everything this game aspired to do properly.
  85. Aug 2, 2013
    As a fan of the previous 2 games, I am very disappointed in this cash grab of a sequel. Not compelling; I can't understand how this game keeps getting rave reviews. Did the publishers pay the magazine reviewers to give such great reviews? It doesn't live up to the 'gameplay' trailers that were released on YouTube. There is no compelling reason for Elizabeth at all, yet she was supposed to be a combatant in the videos. Gameplay is sadly lacking, it's just a shooting gallery as stated by other people on here. The game just does not live up to the hype and I am one very disappointed customer, even at Steam summer sale prices! The game is way too linear, as previously stated by others characters are not engaging. I would say this is their equivalent of "Duke Nuke'em Forever". An overhyped, overpriced, letdown of an unqualified failure of a sequel. Expand
  86. Oct 21, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is the best example of a game company favoring story over game play. The game holds the players hand throughout the game, there is a line the player can bring up to show where to go, or you can go exploring and rummage through trashcans for food that don’t do anything for the player. If you die the game just brings you back to life where you just died with little to no consequence, even on the hardest mode available to a first time player. The difficulty in the game is just non-existent.

The story in Bioshock Infinite is the best redeeming quality for the game. The player assumes the role of Booker, who is sent to Columbia to rescue Elizabeth to pay off a debt. The real positive part of the story is more of the characters than the actual time line of the story. The game makes you actually care about the characters, but the actual content of what you are playing just feels unimportant. Add one of the most disappointing endings to a game and you’ve got the story of one of the most overrated games of all time.

The graphics are nice to look at, if you like the art direction the game took, and there is no denying that. While the game looks good, it still doesn’t play well.
  87. Dec 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The FPS is completely a train ride. The story and level seem to drag out longer than necessary while leaving characters purpose unexplained. The ending makes the whole story meaningless. Expand
  88. Jul 13, 2013
    Boring combat and gameplay, uninteresting story and no challenge. Only good Bioshock was the first one, and even that was mediocre 7/10 tops. System Shock is where it's at.

Be wary of the high scores BioShock Infinite received, a lot of them are given by new accounts whose sole contribution to metacritic is giving 10 points to Bioshock Infinite. Not saying someone's boosting the scores
    but it's a possibility. Expand
  89. Dec 9, 2013
    3 hrs in so expect minor spoilers.
    This game is not only supremely boring and linear, it's also aggravating and repulsive from a story point of view. So there's this beautiful city in the clouds, where people live in (seeming?) harmony, and my job is to... kill everyone?! Violently and indiscriminately? Seriously, why would I do that? Because they're devout Churchgoers (not a big fan of
    religion myself btw)? Or because they haven't achieved race equality yet? Now how about changing these things through political and social means, you know, bringing about enlightenment and humanist thinking by educating people? But no. The only way to progress in this game is through mass-murder. Now if this was GTA I'd find that fun, too, but
    this game seems to be wanting taken seriously.
    Apart from that, it's just a very linear shooter with mindless enemies, repetitive gunfights and poor animation. Last night I actually fell asleep while playing go figure.
    A few points for the beautiful flying city, though.
  90. Jun 11, 2013
    The most overrated game of the year, with a ridiculous setting, a badly-narrated plot that made no sense at any point, and that left the player wondering what's happening throughout the game. And the game itself was just an average, straight forward shooter that wasn't even much fun. It was a bore to get through it, and I only endured it because I wanted to see what the ending was all about. Honestly, the game is not worth the time invested, and I don't know why all the critics are raving about it. Expand
  91. May 17, 2013
    What's all the hype about with this game?! I'm a seasoned FPS gamer, and have played all previous Bioshock games. I found this incarnation to be the weakest from the series by far, so much so I've actually stopped playing before even completing it...and doubt I'll ever go back to do so.

The graphics are ok, certainly not revolutionary or ground breaking. All the shimmering and light
    bloom is just smoke and mirrors to obscure you from the fact that the environments are pretty uninteresting and repetitive, with bad models and textures. Models are shamelessly repeated throughout the levels (you shoot the same guy dead about 1000 times by the game end).

Gameplay is slow I felt, and ridiculously easy, even on harder settings. Weapons and modding was dull and uninventive, nothing new here. Bad guys came at you in the same form over and over again, with terrible AI leading them to certain death in the same way over and over again. I wasn't captivated by the story, which seemed a bit bizarre and disjointed. The characters weren't intriguing and I felt no attachment to them, even hours in.

A vastly overrated game, hyped up by an expensive media campaign, but ultimately shallow and generic.
  92. Apr 13, 2013
    I'm one of the few guys who doesn't understand the score of this game. It's an ultra basic rail shooter with a poor Call of Duty-like gameplay. It's really beautiful and artistic, yes, I give you that. But is this what video games are about? They're giving 100% to an interactive movie. I'd recommend a million times Dishonored over BioShock Infinite. It's also a recent FPS, with an artistic and original visual identity. But its gameplay is a hundred times more deep. Open spaces, tons of different approaches, moral choices with impact.
    Oh and, before I forget, System Shock 2, the ancestor of the BioShock series, had skills, inventory, open spaces, SHODAN (the character who inspired GladOS)... Don't you realize AAA games nowadays are designed to be reaaaaally easy on your brains?
  93. Oct 28, 2013
    The most overrated FPS ever. The first Bioshock was a real masterpiece, but this boring, linear, killing-machine gameplay is one of the worst experiences I've ever had.
  94. Apr 13, 2013
    Another dudebro corrupted game, oh how the mighty has fallen. Systemshock, amazing, systemshock 2 awesome, this, this was crap. Corridor, corridor, arena, thats the play system. The only redeeming quality was the story, and even then I figured out the basic idea half way through their hamfisted dude bro fest. not worth the 60$ I spent on it. Want a perfect reasoning for this score check this out
  95. Apr 18, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is an awful game. It is overrated. 95 metascore? Well, they have spent a lot of money to get that score. The game is very boring. The graphics are really bad. I don't recommend you to buy this game because you'll fall asleep when you will play it. The same goes to the first and the second Bioshock
  96. May 10, 2013
    I Have mixed opinions. The game is good, but I don`t think people get the overwhelming subliminal context. First of all it was released on Indians Martyr day before Patriots day. Main character is unlikeble normal american who is familiar with guns. In this game Christians are pictured as demon lovers and founding fathers of USA are demonised. Why such context when America has gun control in mind and why such a big marketing? I`m not bashing the game but I´m warning you to be aware. Expand
  97. May 22, 2013
    Pros: Good vistas; put you in the air. Story is great but not original. Cons: Generic Shooter. A degradation if it is compared to the first Bioshock gameplay. Upgrading weapons and vigors are no fun. Quantum Physics in a game is not a new thing, please stop saying it is original idea. Many vigor upgrades for railway battle (wtf?) You will almost always miss your Carbine, which is another guns make you feel more like a walking ****

If you think the story is an original, just please play Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger. This is apply especially for those teenagers out there, not knowing a better story was created more than a decade ago. And for sake of humanity, yes, don't get me wrong, I love Bioshock series! And I love the 1st Bioshock pretty much.
    And one more thing that spins me upside-down, some people cited that half of the budget for this game solely spends on the advertising. Here's the link: http://asia.gamespot.com/news/bioshock-infinite-creative-director-denies-claims-game-cost-200-million-to-produce-and-market-6405761
    They don't need to be afraid of the popularity if they believe it is a good game in development.
    Open eyes, and please see it clearly, the gameplay is just too generic.

Conclusion:
    Don't believe the hype, money (read: advertising) can almost buy anything, even your ideas and beliefs, and your view.
    Thanks for reading.
  98. May 25, 2013
    First, the bad: lack of manual save. It's fine to not allow save during combat, or only allow saving in certain areas, but to disallow saving manually entirely, at the whim of checkpoints hoping that your computer doesn't freeze between them, that's just either lazy or poor design. In a game of this production value, that is completely unacceptable. To top it off, you can't play more than one game through you can't have multiple parallel saves. What if multiple people want to play the game? Buy multiple copies you say? For one machine? Give me a break.

For the good, there's mostly everything else: solid and novel combat mechanics with a good pacing and feel to them, well executed aesthetic and environment, not much to complain about. It's just too bad to have that mired by an experience that stops and starts and repeats every time the game freezes because games *do* freeze. All the time apparently with this one.
  99. Jun 9, 2013
    A very pretty game with worthless AI, incredibly boring gameplay, a limited selection of enemy types, and more undeserved hype than you can imagine. No multiplayer, no challenge, zero replay value. The so-called 1999 mode is worthless to me because after finishing the game in normal mode, it exhibits problems that are simply not going to be resolved by making the game a bit harder.

The story is amazing only if you have somehow until now managed to avoid the concept of a videogame telling a story. If this is not a shocking new development for you and you enjoy an easy shooter without a lot of demands on the player, consider this if it ever goes below $10. Until then, save your money.
  100. Sep 24, 2013
    Personally I found this game overrated. It looks pretty enough but the gameplay is just any old average 3rd person shooter. The game consists of waves of enemies and you doing this over and over again. The story was good but I can watch a film if that's what I care about.
  101. Apr 6, 2013

Play BSI slowly, relish the moments and don’t rush to the end. It’s certain that you will have lived one of the richest gaming experiences that, as far as narration, lyricism and story are concerned, will take a lot of time to forget! [May 2013]
  2. May 7, 2013
    A very solid, but not revolutionary shooter in an amazing setting, with a story that struggles to convey its authors’ ambitions and is only seemingly complex. The vision is less focused than in previous Bioshocks and it does a worse job on binding the plot with gameplay. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.46]
  3. May 1, 2013
    Problematic plotting and excessive amounts of poorly balanced combat apply friction to what is otherwise one hell of a rollercoaster. [May 2013, p.80]