8.5

1. Jul 30, 2013
    Enchanting. Top notch game experience. The developers built an amazing world, and told an interesting story. YOU MUST PLAY THIS.

One of the best games I ever played.
  2. Apr 7, 2013
    BioShock Infinite provides a blueprint for engaging players in a meaningful story and captivating their imaginations. Although it struggles in some respects, such as less than stellar boss fights, it manages to mitigate those struggles with excellent pacing and storytelling. This game has incredible production values. Everything from the atmosphere to the environments to the set-piecesBioShock Infinite provides a blueprint for engaging players in a meaningful story and captivating their imaginations. Although it struggles in some respects, such as less than stellar boss fights, it manages to mitigate those struggles with excellent pacing and storytelling. This game has incredible production values. Everything from the atmosphere to the environments to the set-pieces will astonish both old and new players. In many ways, this doesn't feel like a BioShock game. This is not the cramped, dark, and overtly tense game that was the original. This is a much more subtle and dare I say refined sort of tension one where you're unsure of the motives of any given person, including yourself. The climax and ending of the game are worth asking price alone. If you found yourself disappointed with the conclusion of the original, you will find yourself pleasantly surprised after you set down your keyboard and mouse, sit back from the monitor aghast, and begin filling your mind with the infinite. Expand
  3. Mar 30, 2013
    Now THIS is a video game. The prime and shining example of an incredible story that CANNOT be told through any other media. It has the gameplay, it has the visuals but its the brilliant storytelling that will truly set this masterpiece apart from any other game created this generation. Bioshock Infinite stands (almost)alone in stark contrast to the stale rehashes, reboots and sequels weNow THIS is a video game. The prime and shining example of an incredible story that CANNOT be told through any other media. It has the gameplay, it has the visuals but its the brilliant storytelling that will truly set this masterpiece apart from any other game created this generation. Bioshock Infinite stands (almost)alone in stark contrast to the stale rehashes, reboots and sequels we gamers keep on receiving. This game raises the bar not just for the other FPS's, but for the entire industry as a whole, not only all gamers, but everyone in the gaming industry needs to sit up and take notice.... this is how its done. Expand
  4. Mar 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was a pretty big fan of the original Bioshock though I never played Bioshock 2. I came into this game having not really payed attention to press releases other than the trailers, not really having any specific expectations for the gameplay, and not really knowing what was or was not promised. I'm going to try and review it from that perspective since it seems the most negativity I see is aimed at the lack of things apparently promised in pre-release hype. I'm also going to analyze the plot a bit so their will be spoilers. I am also going to review this from the point of view of a person who is not a huge FPS fan in general as I really am not. Gameplay: In terms of gameplay, Bioshock Infinite is not really as innovative as apparently a lot of people expected, but from my perspective, while not everything it does works perfectly, it works well enough to at least be very fun and engaging. The gameplay is less revolutionary and more like an evolution or crossbreeding of ideas from other games before it (but then again crossbreeding ideas is the cornerstone of the creative process). It has both a regenerating shield and a health bar that needs to be maintained, it has something like the Plasmids from the first game (but they really only serve to give you more options on how to approach the challenges presented to you rather than being entirely crucial to winning, and some of them are basically useless), and it has the two-guns at a time mechanic popularized by Halo so many years ago, though not all the guns are of equal usefulness. The gameplay also revolves more around larger, more open air battlefield style areas than the original Bioshock did while retaining the emphasis on making use of what is in the environment strategically, including mechanics to add and remove key elements from the environment. If you do or do not like the gameplay decisions they made will really depend on your taste in FPS gameplay mechanics in general. I personally love the more narrative focused FPS games in general over the multiplayer-focused ones and many of the design decisions here are apparently made for the sake of making the action and narrative more of the focus with a constant-flow without any sort of story-pausing abrupt interrupts, hence the tendency towards linearity, the lack of hacking mechanics and the reduction of lock picking mechanics to a single button command. I like that kind of gameplay, you may not. Story While Bioshock was already pretty heavily story driven, Bioshock Infinite is even more so, in a way, narrative is what this game is all about. The game takes place in a fantastical setting designed to spark the imagination in that unique way that has made steampunk so popular. The game is thematically very similar to the original Bioshock: It has a false utopia brimming with internal conflict upon which an outsider with an apparent connection to the place is lead to by circumstances where they get caught up in that conflict (in this case, they witness the collapse rather than arrive after it happened). Like the original bioshock, the false utopia is built upon a historical political ideology, in this case, the flying city of Columbia is based on late 19th century American Exceptionalism taken to a excessive, religious extreme. This has tended to lead to a fairly touchy matter. A number of negative reviews I have seen from users here seem to express offense at the seeming negative commentary the game is making of religious conservatives. But the thing is, no opinion from the developers is ever explicitly stated, what is implied is ambiguous and open to interpretation as there really is only one character who does not (at first) exist in a moral grey-area, and the story isn't even *about* the social commentary made anyway. The story *really* is about two outsiders caught in a conflict between two radically different and very opposite political philosophies (that are both essentially depicted negatively) and, by the second half, becoming enemies to *both* sides, and their story is really about exploring themes of fate and destiny, self-knowledge and identity, guilt and redemption, abandonment and reunion. But mostly the story is all about character, particularly the main female character of Elisabeth, much of the story focuses on *her* development as a character from a relatively innocent idealistic character to a mature, wiser, more sober character by the end. In many ways, she is the real main character, being the the catalyst for everything that happens in the game.

To sun it up Great narrative, fantastic setting, gameplay elements that work well but do not break the game when they do not. I reccomend giving it a playthrough. I'm going to give this game a score of "generally favorable" which means I have to give it an 8 since, apparently, a 7 is like an "F" for most video game reviews and all other numbers below that are basically meaningless.
  5. Apr 10, 2013
    Combat was alright. Choices didn't really matter. BUT THE STORY IS SOOOO GOOD. Play this game. It is like a long movie that really is worth GOTY. Buy this game now.
  6. Mar 29, 2013
    This game is truly something... it had been a long time since a game hooked me enough to make me play it from start to finish in just one sitting.. i installed the game just to "try it out" and ended up playing for 10 hours in a row minus eating and going to the bathroom.. this game is astonishing! The character design is superb and it accomplishes something most games can't even begin toThis game is truly something... it had been a long time since a game hooked me enough to make me play it from start to finish in just one sitting.. i installed the game just to "try it out" and ended up playing for 10 hours in a row minus eating and going to the bathroom.. this game is astonishing! The character design is superb and it accomplishes something most games can't even begin to do, it makes you care for the characters, care about what happens to them. Now, the graphics, the graphics have been an hot topic here because some people say they are superb some say they suck... Well, they certainly do NOT suck.. yes, we are not talking about crysis here, but if you're making that comparison you're missing the point! This game is not hyper realistic and it doesn't try to be but what is astounding is the art direction.. the graphics are not about realism, i'm certainly not the right person to explain this but to be honest i had as many if not more "wow" moments while playing this game than while playing crysis and those "wow" moments were for completely different reasons, on crysis i'm surprised that it seems so real, here, i'm surprised it seems so beautiful! On to gameplay! Gameplay isn't phenomenal and i'd say it's the weakest part of the game, that's not to say it's bad, no! not by any stretch of imagination, it just doesn't manage to keep up with the rest of the game, gameplay is entertaining but nothing more.... The story, the story is phenomenal, the settings, and the way you interact with elizabeth, they're all exceptionally good! overall this game is a masterpiece and in my opinion will be one the defining games this gen... i was mesmerized by this game and i'll go through it again for sure!

Note: don't want to spoil anything but the ending is awesome :D
  7. Apr 6, 2013
    That game was awesome, and it's story was like Steven Moffat slapped Bioshock 2 for being bad so hard it flew past Inception, into the stratosphere and became a Planeswalker.
  8. Mar 16, 2014
    This is one great experiences, and surely one of the best of last-gen. BioShock Infinite has a unique artistic style and a highly detailed world to go along with a good story. There are parts where it feels like there's just too much combat, but the fact that the combat is fun, and the story is good, you just want to keep pushing through to see what happens next. Although it's not as greatThis is one great experiences, and surely one of the best of last-gen. BioShock Infinite has a unique artistic style and a highly detailed world to go along with a good story. There are parts where it feels like there's just too much combat, but the fact that the combat is fun, and the story is good, you just want to keep pushing through to see what happens next. Although it's not as great as the original, it's still a game that deserves to be played. Expand
  9. Mar 27, 2013
    I really cannot see how anybody can say anything bad about this game. It is, without a doubt, the best FPS game I have played since the time when Halo 3 was the king of FPS games. While Halo 3 still sits upon the throne as the best FPS game I've played ever; BioShock Infinite is the closest a game has ever come to dethroning Halo 3. This game comes as close to perfection as you can get. ItI really cannot see how anybody can say anything bad about this game. It is, without a doubt, the best FPS game I have played since the time when Halo 3 was the king of FPS games. While Halo 3 still sits upon the throne as the best FPS game I've played ever; BioShock Infinite is the closest a game has ever come to dethroning Halo 3. This game comes as close to perfection as you can get. It tells you a story that doesn't seem to make much sense, at first but becomes more and more clear as you near the conclusion (which is a good thing). The gameplay never felt stale with 8 different vigors and an impressive arsenal of firearms. Elizabeth is an NPC companion that is actually very useful which is very rare in games lately (need I remind anybody of Sheva from RE5 or Ashley from RE4?). The only two MINOR problems I do have with this game that keep it from utter perfection is: No new game mode and you can only have two guns equipped. The problem with only having two guns at a time is all the guns are amazing and having to chose which two you want, at times, can be a very difficult choice to make. In the end, I thoroughly enjoyed BioShock Infinite and will be playing through again and again until I find absolutely everything this game has to offer. Expand
  10. Mar 29, 2013
    Don't listen to all the idiots that say this isn't on par, it's way above and beyond my expectations. It really takes a lot to get me to play a single player game, and so far this game has been bringing me back to play every night which is very rare. Definitely one of the few games this year that will be loved by almost everyone from all groups of gamers. Everything has already been saidDon't listen to all the idiots that say this isn't on par, it's way above and beyond my expectations. It really takes a lot to get me to play a single player game, and so far this game has been bringing me back to play every night which is very rare. Definitely one of the few games this year that will be loved by almost everyone from all groups of gamers. Everything has already been said in other reviews, this game is just pure gold all around. Expand
  11. Apr 5, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is great.. I should actually say perfect, best game so far yet this year. Based on my system, it only needs 700MB of RAM, current CPU and GFX settings turned up on Ultra, runs beautifully.. 2K did an absolutely terrific job on this one and I can well now see why it won the awards. The scores are better than even FC3, i'm surprised with that but I surely ain't saying itBioshock Infinite is great.. I should actually say perfect, best game so far yet this year. Based on my system, it only needs 700MB of RAM, current CPU and GFX settings turned up on Ultra, runs beautifully.. 2K did an absolutely terrific job on this one and I can well now see why it won the awards. The scores are better than even FC3, i'm surprised with that but I surely ain't saying it wasn't a bad game.

The game has some new stuff in it like the hummingbirds, etc. makes it look so much better. I can see alot of dishonored in the game and alot of BS1 and I was absolutely pleased with those two. That arm peace weaponry is a good tool, it works alone and is all in one. Last night after doing the mission where you fall from sky, I almost pissed myself.

It's sad to see that the hacking is gone but its great to see that tape playing and item gathering is still there, I spent an entire hour scavenging around in the begining for loose change laying around and of course other items. Steam sure did go crazy on the achievements but sure ok i'm cool with that.

I am very pleased with the price I paid for this, the game does deserve every penny. Thank you 2K for making such a beautiful and well put together game.
  12. May 15, 2013
    The game that managed to attract the attention of the masses.

The game that managed to attract the attention of the masses.

By today standards, games are categorized in sub-genres that belong to other sub-genres making something "Unique" impossible in this era. Reviews are often skewed because of the erroneous approach reviewers take. Games are now compared to one another, and judged on perspective. This method would be the ideal method to criticize a game in a perfect world, where a perfect game could exist and we could compare anything to it and simply measure up. Sadly that is just wishful thinking and we live in an imperfect world full of imperfect people and imperfect scores.
    To the matter, the game Bioshock: Infinite cannot, be a unique game, it is just not possible in any way. I have read time and time again how Bioshock: Infinite is a copy paste of it's predecessors and so on, but the part that reviewers neglect to see is that a brand is a brand for one thing, it is easily recognized, it has a theme and therefore sticks to its core. If Bioshock Infinite were to not resemble Bioshock in any way, we would have a list of complains about how the game wasn't a "Bioshock" title.
    Games should not be compared to each other, it clouds vision and impairs judgement. This is the reason why I can say Bioshock Infinite is not an RPG, nor an FPS.
    "Bioshock Infinite was/is Bioshock Infinite and nothing more."

--Combat: The combat in this game was fun but gets repetitive by the time you approach the ending. It is loud and messy, nothing bad with that but I see ways it could have been improved greatly by changing a few things such as more interactive environment, and possibly a bit more "freedom" not necessarily non-linear but a bit of freedom is always welcome.

--Gameplay: Enjoyably and easy to get used to. It doesn't take much to be immersed in the world of Columbia. The voice acting fits nicely with the situations and provides a smooth gaming session. Speed varied according to the situation, fast during action/combat and slow during interactive cut scenes and some dialogue.

--Graphics: The cartoonish, steampunk theme went rather nice together, and to an extend I dare to say It reminded me of Dishonored, The textures were good where they mattered (occasionally you can find bad patches of low res textured in hidden places). Overall it is visually pleasing.

--Story: This is where the game shines. The story of this game can be easily categorized to the user in two different groups. Amazing and Boring. I have heard both sides to the argument over the story of Bioshock Infinite and after a really good moment of observation I can conclude that the more ignorant the person, the boring the story gets. Nice and simple as that. Sorry for not sugar coating, but I am not here for that. The story of Columbia revolves around concepts and theories that exist in our world, in other words, Bioshock Infinite puts some of said theories to practice and reveal a probable view of those theories. The story requires a high amount of attention to detail and if you can't pick up, you know what category you fall under. On the other hand, if you can grasp even the basics of the core elements of the story, you are in for great enjoyment and continuous amusement and awe.

--I could go on with categories but I believe the four mentioned are the most important. The game itself is a great title, a title worth playing and burning a few brain cells over trying to understand the twist and turns flooding the story. a game 10/10 doesn't exist yet and chances are that game will never exist, there isn't such thing as a perfect 10, but we can only hope to aim close. The game has some faults here and there that I can just wish I could change to fit my liking, but seeing how that is not possible at the moment I'll let it slide into a general opinion.

Personal Score 9/10.
    I recommend, as I have with friends, to play the game only if thrills are your thing, recommend to the one with a bit of witts to understand puzzles, and complex thinking.
    Try to approach the game as a game of its own, do not taint a rather good game with expectations, senseless labeling and comparisons. Play the game, have fun, and move on in the quest for the perfect game.
  13. Lap
    Mar 31, 2013
    Honestly this is one of the most captivating stories in a game by far. Graphics fit the game, I see a lot of complaints about graphics, but that is not the games type of art style. The world is beautiful and I could not help myself from learning everything and exploring everywhere. The character Elizabeth is a necessity while playing through the game, as she adds so much to engage you inHonestly this is one of the most captivating stories in a game by far. Graphics fit the game, I see a lot of complaints about graphics, but that is not the games type of art style. The world is beautiful and I could not help myself from learning everything and exploring everywhere. The character Elizabeth is a necessity while playing through the game, as she adds so much to engage you in the story. Never have I finished a game and felt sad for the protagonist like this one. The game is overwhelming in how much you get attached to the characters and the ending is probably the best ending to any game I've ever played. It is a very confusing story and requires a lot of paying attention, but it is worth it. The game has its own art style and atmosphere, and if you don't pay attention, the story can leave you behind.

P.s. Ignore the petty comments towards graphics and people not understanding the game. It is well worth the $60 and it should not have its artistic style based on other bland games that focus on more realistic looking humans.
  14. Apr 1, 2013
    What can I say about this game that hasn't already been said? Amazing game. The story is original, complex, well told, and rarely dull. The gameplay is fun and addictive. The two central characters are very well fleshed out. I am pleased to say that, in Bioshock Infinite, Elizabeth is useful and you really start to care for her. I was worried about having to play with an NPC for 80% of theWhat can I say about this game that hasn't already been said? Amazing game. The story is original, complex, well told, and rarely dull. The gameplay is fun and addictive. The two central characters are very well fleshed out. I am pleased to say that, in Bioshock Infinite, Elizabeth is useful and you really start to care for her. I was worried about having to play with an NPC for 80% of the game, but looking back I really think Elizabeth only enriched the gaming experience. I only have one, tiny nit-pick about the game: the two weapon limit. The limit is more realistic and makes the game more challenging, BUT I found that at times I was using the same weapons over and over. Still, this is a minor complaint because the moment you finish Infinite, you will want to start a new game and use different weapons, different tactics, etc. Expand
  15. Mar 28, 2013
    I finally finished the campaign after 19 well spent hours of exploration...

(some of those spent redoing massive shooting battles of death, and at least 3 of those on one specific battle by the end of the game... but anyway~) ...and I've got to say: this game deserves a score of 10 for the whole experience, but gets a 9 for some minor problems: non-optimized mouse gamepad axis
    I finally finished the campaign after 19 well spent hours of exploration...

non-optimized mouse gamepad axis sensivity, bad FOV, fake "modern" shooter challenge in the form of infinite soldiers, repeated guns just to reinforce a plot device, position bugs glitches, bad collision box, some plot inconsistencies.

All other aspects voice acting, gameplay, graphics, scenery, environment, appeal, etecetera deserve a 10 without a doubt.
  16. Mar 30, 2013
    It seems like it has been a lifetime since I have experienced such a breathtaking creative feat as Bioshock Infinite. The quality of this game surpasses all expectations I had, even after the masterpiece that was the original Bioshock. From the graphical fidelity, to the character development, and sense of environment, this game surprises me with it's sheer beauty at every turn. TheIt seems like it has been a lifetime since I have experienced such a breathtaking creative feat as Bioshock Infinite. The quality of this game surpasses all expectations I had, even after the masterpiece that was the original Bioshock. From the graphical fidelity, to the character development, and sense of environment, this game surprises me with it's sheer beauty at every turn. The intricacies and boundaries of storytelling have been pushed far beyond any other game, as you discover the true story of Columbia not only through conventional dialogue, but also posters and signs littering the environment, and side conversations from seemingly meaningless people on the streets. Bioshock Infinite sincerely shows how video games can find their place among the giants of books and movies, as story-telling mediums that can create an experience that is truly one of a kind. Expand
  17. Mar 29, 2013
    At a glance 'infinite' is a compelling struggle between two diametrical opposites, but delve into the world of Colombia and you will find that there is something much bigger driving this story. Fail to pick this gem up and miss out on one of the generation, you simply NEED to experience this story. Gameplay: it stands head and shoulders above its fps counterparts. The diversity of enemiesAt a glance 'infinite' is a compelling struggle between two diametrical opposites, but delve into the world of Colombia and you will find that there is something much bigger driving this story. Fail to pick this gem up and miss out on one of the generation, you simply NEED to experience this story. Gameplay: it stands head and shoulders above its fps counterparts. The diversity of enemies will keep you on your toes and force you to constantly transform your strategy. Motorised patriots will have you dashing for cover, boys of silence will force you to creep silently by in the shadows, sirens will surround you with armies of dead soldiers, the fire-men of 'infinite' are not protectors but devious arsonists and as for the handy man, you are in for a fight to rival the big daddies of the original 'bioshock'. The scenery is breathtaking, the atmosphere invigorating. Battles take place on gigantic scales, engaging in flying and ground units simultaneously while zipping along on skylines. Now all that said I did encounter a few problems with this game and I think it is out done by the original in a few gameplay elements. My biggest issue was something that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else, so by no mean allow my limitation to become your limitation, but I really did find the audio frustrating throughout the game. The voice acting and music itself is excellent but a design choice has been implemented which throughout the game broke my immersion in the city of colombia. Here it is: when something or someone is speaking or playing music or whatever, you can hear them from a great distance by looking straight at them, turn to your right and you can no longer here it, thats fine; however the same thing happens even if your standing right next to the person/object, and its only when you turn to the right side! For example you are standing in front of Elizabeth who is talking to you, you can hear her, you turn to your left, you can still hear her, you turn to face the opposite direction, you can still hear her, turn left again (so you are facing right of her) and SILENCE! Now why is this a problem?? Well half the time I'm running along and I hear someone start talking but I don't know where they are but as I'm turning around (and to the right) I can't hear them, and I want to hear them because the dialogue is so GOOD! I don't want to miss out. Sometimes I won't even have realised Elizabeth said anything. There was even a cut scene with the song bird and Elizabeth when I couldn't hear what she was saying! (And don't say turn it up, because it was and its SILENT). I turned subtitles on, so at least I didn't miss anything. But its also really annoying with music, for example, I'm listening to a nice tune from a radio, but as I'm walking around the room, it keeps going silent when I'm facing to the right of it, even if I'm right next to it! I understand the idea behind this, you only hear stuff your focused on (and therefore looking at). But for me this continually broke the immersion, because I want to hear the music and people as I walk around. But the main thing is not hearing the voices. It was weird, I didn't like it, Nobody else seems to have trouble with this so good for you but I'm just saying for me it broke immersion on a number of occasions. The other problems I had was with the weapons interface. Only two guns at a time, seriously? Again this works really well on certain occasions so I can see why they did this; for instance when you are in a big open area, you use Elizabeth to open tears, then ride the rails to get guns, so your constantly moving around and changing weapons. But here is the problem. The environment of 'Infinite' requires very different weapon types. For instance, I found that I usually always needed, at least one long range weapon, a medium/close weapon. But as you are encountering a lot of heavy units; I found myself sticking with either RPG or grenade launcher for most the game. The problem is its very hard to hit an enemy above you on a gunship with an RPG, but I can't carry a sniper rifle and an RPG, cause I'd run out of ammo for close quarters; so basically i have to go with the machine gun or the burst gun, cause they can do a bit of both. But the machine gun still fails over long distance. Also what is the point of having a pistol in the game then? Never used it after the first level, even though it was a good pistol. SO carry unlimited guns next time, no more of this COD two weapon rubbish! Furthermore the guns did not special ammo and crafting unlike the original bioshock, no exploding bullets The uprgrades system was worse in my opinion as it is all money based and the upgrades are not visible on your gun. Also could not scroll through more than two vigors at a time WTF! Also vigors my opinon ordinary, no telekinesis Sorry to spend so much of the review whining, because this is one of my favourite games of the generation. But I don't want to spoil story. I loved this game! Expand
  18. Apr 2, 2013
    PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW BEFORE READING ANY OF THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS

PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW BEFORE READING ANY OF THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS

Bioshock Infinite was exactly what it needed to be. It was a Bioshock game that was also the third game in a series. It had many characteristics of the original games in it, but it also had many new features that a third game needs to have. To all of the people that were complaining about it being too linear I say they must not have tried to explore. Plus, you must not have played the original games, because it was just as linear as the originals. If the story line was confusing to you, I can understand why you didn't like it. It was a really well told story that was as original as a story can be these days. Everything has been done under the sun.

The game play was similar and yet different from the first two games. It had to be that way because if it was exactly the same as the first game, then people would complain about that. As I said, it was what it needed to be. To the people that complain that it is just not a believable story, then A) you must not have played through the game completely (or you weren't really paying attention) or B) Your completely over thinking it and I bet that you hate science fiction games/movies in general. If it is really that hard to believe, then I don't understand how you liked the first two games (if you did, and if you didn't then you shouldn't leave a comment) and you should probably go back to non-fiction books. For all of those people who said they don't understand why they should care about the story-line, I say how couldn't you? The very basics of the story are heart breaking. A girl locked up by her father and experimented on? That is engaging by it self. The rest is a ridiculous amount of gravy.

I will say that the enemies were a bit repetitive. I get that. Wasn't the first game's enemies? I agree that the Handymen (Big Dadies) were not too common, but they had other things to fight in there place, and plus they would have gotten old if they had been common. The controls were not clunky, they just were not what your used to. Don't be lazy and fix them, I did and it improved my skill and experience immensely.

To those complaining about the graphics, what games that have come out recently have better graphics? Sure, there are games with better graphics, like Battlefield 3, but those graphics wouldn't have added anything to the game. The graphics that the game had were exactly the quality that it need to look good, add to the experience, but not take away from the game play (aka killing Frames Per Second or making some peoples computers not be able to play it at all).

To sum up, most of the things that people are complaining about are pointless, laziness, misunderstanding, or just simply ridiculous. This game is amazing, not quite perfect but pretty close. Get this game. I recommend playing the first one at least if you haven't already.
  19. May 3, 2013
    BioShock is an awesome game that most people should have already known about. It might not feature Big Daddy like usual (Well, at least where i'm up to) but it is a must play for all shooter fans.
  20. Mar 30, 2013
    This game is REALLY great, and I rarely say that about any game. The story is extremely awesome, the characters too, and the world is mesmerizing. The gun-play is pretty fun and the graphics are really impressive looking. A lot of people are complaining about the high amount of bloom in this game, but they don't seem to realize that this game takes place in the CLOUDS, so naturally, bloomThis game is REALLY great, and I rarely say that about any game. The story is extremely awesome, the characters too, and the world is mesmerizing. The gun-play is pretty fun and the graphics are really impressive looking. A lot of people are complaining about the high amount of bloom in this game, but they don't seem to realize that this game takes place in the CLOUDS, so naturally, bloom will be abundant. Also, a lot of people are complaining about the ending. Please disregard all these complaints, as it's simply because they didn't pay attention to the story/they don't possess the brain power to process what happened. The plot is THE MOST complicated thing I have ever experienced, and I love it. After I finished the game I had to look up "ending explained" and such, just to see what others made of it. It's extremely intriguing and I couldn't have asked for any other ending. Now so far I've been doing nothing but smothering this game with love, so you may be wondering why I didn't give it a 10. There are several factors that lead to this. There are many small things in this game that bothered me throughout the game, such as invisible walls that prevented me from taking cover in locations that I'd originally expect to be able to go into. Also, it is possible to go ahead of the story, location wise, so I'd be able to go to location A, I wouldn't be able proceed past that for whatever reason (that is explained and is fair), but then I'd go the quest in location B where I was told to go to location A, and then Elizabeth and I would be asking "Where is this location A?", even though we were just there. Another problem I had is that some of the vigors seem rather useless and the player doesn't seem to have much incentive to use them over some of the others. For example, the water vigor (don't remember what it was called), simply seems to be worse in every way than the possession vigor, so why would I use my salt on something worse? There were various other smaller issues I had with the game, and though they were trivial, they started to add up as I went along. I feel that had Irrational just added/fixed a couple of these things, the game would be flawless. Don't listen to all the haters who're giving this game anything less than a 7, they don't have any knowledge on what they're talking about, and should be disregarded. Expand
  21. Mar 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Words cannot describe how amazing this game is, especially on the PC. Bioshock Infinite tells a very great story that when it comes to the end, will honestly shock and confuse many people, but in a good way. When I completed this game, I honestly didn't know how to feel about the ending, but now that I've seen it explained, I can appreciate it more. The game play is very solid, the amount of fun you can have zipping around skylines and dive bombing enemies from above is almost infinite (no pun intended), and the weapons in the game are very well made. Other combat mechanics, like tears and Elizabeth aiding you with supplies, where also very nice touches and made the combat a lot more unique, without making the game incredibly easy. The main characters in the game, Booker and Elizabeth, are probably the best duo in recent gaming. Irrational Games didn't even need to make it romantic, and I'm thankful they didn't. All they needed to do was make their relationship and their story believable (well, other than the flying cities, but I digress). The Songbird, despite not having any dialogue at all, is easily one of the best anti-heroes I've seen in a game. Not the best, but up there at least. There are also little moments in the game that truly help get some comic relief or joy in an otherwise depressing story. This includes the Lutece twins, and the scene where Booker begins playing guitar while Elizabeth sings along. Moments like these, the overall story of the game, and the great game play make this game an unforgettable experience. Play this game at all costs, and definitely get it on the PC if you have one that can run the game. Expand
  22. May 6, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a masterpieces game. Game, not something else. Because only here Ken Levin as general director of the game combined shooter, narrative, LIVE characters and give us blow-away mix of plot and the whole story itself.
    From the beginning till the final this game will give you unstoppable action not on monitor, but in your head. Your minds and thoughts will kill you in dead try to understand how it all works here. And if you think you know, please... Check the final of the game.
    The gameplay itself gives to the player options. Even here we have freedom of choice story touch this theme We can only shoot by guns, or we can only use vigors. We can combine them, we can not it's only our choice. Somebody see here a problem, but I'm not. You want to survive on 1999 mod dif-ty? Use everything you have. No? Your choice, but then don't complain. We have lots of weapons and 8 vigors. How to use you decide.
    Elizabeth is alive. She is not like alive, she is alive. You trust her, you worship on her. It's hard to imagine what work Irrational Games had done, because how Liz moves, act, look at something, how she even talk impress you. This is you SHOCK, BIO comes from Vigors.
    For me it's hard to describe Bioshock in a few words. Cause this is a huge product, huge game. This is a story, an art which should be in each creator's mind. How Levin loves details and how shock us next corner. Of course there are minuses. Sometimes you don't want to shoot and just want pass through enemies, but they don't give you a chance. May be old versions of the levels were better and more large, open. And somebody can looks differently on the gameplay freedom to shoot with or without vigors. But please, where did you see the game or something without minuses? As Lutece twins said: "This is just a point of perspective. I see Dead. And I see alive."
    Bioshock Infinite is a must have game. Because this is not only a game as we use to think or use to play, this is an art, drama, new world itself.
  23. Mar 28, 2013
    This is a solid Bioshock game with alot of added new things. If your a fan of the first game youll love it.
    The character thats with you (elizabeth) is actually likeable and very helpful. The skylines you ride on are awesome especially fighting on them. Its a new and fresh idea to a game like this. Theres still alot of things to click on and collect like the other bioshock games, so they do a good job of making it new but not taking away from that bioshock feel. overall a great solid game. The reason i just couldnt give it a 10 is grahics are kinda outta date about 4 yrs. ago looks like fable 2. and characters are laughable at times, they do a great job with using smoke to hide the look of the game in places but other than that get this game...awesome
  24. Mar 27, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite I came in to this game knowing it would be good. But what I played was amazing. This game was gorgeous and the gunplay far surpassed that of the first Bioshock. But I still had my doubhts going through the gameand trying to see If it had the ability to overpass the original. Well it didnt at least not until the last three hours this game went from being goty to theBioshock Infinite I came in to this game knowing it would be good. But what I played was amazing. This game was gorgeous and the gunplay far surpassed that of the first Bioshock. But I still had my doubhts going through the gameand trying to see If it had the ability to overpass the original. Well it didnt at least not until the last three hours this game went from being goty to the greatest game of all time. The ending blew my mind It made me feel what was goin on this game is a masterpiece. Ken Levine deserves a spot as one of the greatest gaming names of all time and for ah man who isnt religous he sure brought a piece of heaven to everyone. Expand
  25. Mar 8, 2014
    A remarkable story that puts the Bioshock franchise in a place where anything can happen next and everything from the series were placed together.

Deep and engaging characters, astonishing visuals and a truly rich backstory fulfilled with a mixture of history and fantasy, covering aspects of our society like the struggle of social classes or religion and state exploit, make one of the best games of all time.

Bugs at the beginning, some boring mechanics, unjustified excessive violence, bad design/budget decisions, the well known millions of chain quests covering the same places over and over, and mostly the unbelievable absence of a decent save system almost ruin the game or make it average, but the good points are just awesome and hold Bioshock Infinite like an awesome, over the top game.

It's a good mix of action and story - entertainment and art excellence.
    (some technical mess, but it's all right)

____________________________________________

PS For those who needs the subtitle help in a foreign language:

You may get lost at the end of the story, because it's deep and explained too fast. Play it again or simply search for the story explained via web to help you understand it if needed.
  26. Apr 11, 2013
    Irrational Games really pour their heart and soul to make a game that they believed in. BioShock Infinite allows players to think, question and imagine a world where one ideal city that can be both gorgeous but ugly as well. It is a beautiful example of an interactive storytelling that has great visuals and innovative game play as well. Hardcore and traditional FPS fans might not beIrrational Games really pour their heart and soul to make a game that they believed in. BioShock Infinite allows players to think, question and imagine a world where one ideal city that can be both gorgeous but ugly as well. It is a beautiful example of an interactive storytelling that has great visuals and innovative game play as well. Hardcore and traditional FPS fans might not be satisfied with this new style of shooter but if you approach this game with a fresh perspective in mind, you will really enjoy what this game has to offer. It is a must play for anyone who is a fan of games. Expand
  27. Apr 8, 2013
    If this game doesnt wins the GOTY, those who dont pick this should be repeatedly punched in the balls with an ACME brick!

Well, all fooling around, this game truly deserves the place its getting, an exquisite story taking place in a breathtaking scenario called Columbia, which totally broke the taboo that said that Bioshock needed Rapture, Little Sisters and Big Daddies to survive, here there's no such thing (...maaaybe?)
    Another taboo that this game broke was that the companion character could most of the time be a pain in the ass and a truly heavy burden that needs babysitting even to go to the bathroom....Elizabeth is a lovely character that you can really get to love to death who will NOT get in your way during the fighting unlike others *coughcoughAshleyRE4coughcough*
    I have to say that i had my doubts at first about this 3rd Bioshock game with its whole new twist about taking its plot into the air (literally) and taking away or modifying the main points that made the others so memorable....and all that time that it took to see the light, but still it managed to bring a whole new story with all sorts twists and challenges that can easily make me say that just like Bioshock 2 surpassed the first, Infinite surpassed B2
    You cant really miss this game if you like thrilling stories that will keep you at the border of your chair, sofa, or any place where you are when playing games,
    Any people hating on this game is either mentally retarded or is just a Call of Duty/Gears of War/Halo that needs to get a brain surgery to be able notice the difference between the true beauty of video games and just mindless trigger pulling
    The only downside of this game is that certain weapons, VIGORS and items were greatly underpowered and made you feel not too interested in experimenting with them, even with their upgrades, but i hope that in later updates or even DLCs they fix that....even though im not too much of a fan of DLCs im quite excited to see what else this aswesome game brings
  28. Mar 31, 2013
    Wow what can I say Bioshock infinite takes you along for a ride. The graphics are so amazing, the story line is so freakin amazing. I love Elizabeth she is so smart, and sexy. She never gets in the way of the gameplay, and she never leaves you side. Everything is spot on. I haven't beat this game yet, but I can say I know I will be replaying it a lot. I love how this game messes with myWow what can I say Bioshock infinite takes you along for a ride. The graphics are so amazing, the story line is so freakin amazing. I love Elizabeth she is so smart, and sexy. She never gets in the way of the gameplay, and she never leaves you side. Everything is spot on. I haven't beat this game yet, but I can say I know I will be replaying it a lot. I love how this game messes with my emotions. Its hard to find a game these days that isn't trying to be another call of duty (call of duty is so repetitive, you know they are just taking your money with all the same stuff just revamped) This game is simply a piece of artwork. I would recommend this game to anyone!!! Expand
  29. Mar 30, 2013
    My previous review was a bit off, this game is great, almost the best of the best. In fact I was surprised at this game, it was nothing like I expected and it is captivating from beginning to end. Also somehow, although the game has no real replay value, it forces you to continuously play it, it's just that great. 10/10
  30. Mar 29, 2013
    "Bioshock Infinite" combines clever gameplay with dynamic action and usefull AI. The story is mindblowing from start to finish, Elizabeth will help you out in combat without making it to easy, Vigors and Salts work better than Plasmids and Eve, and the atmosphere is breathtaking. The only minor downside in my opinion, is that in very few moments, the voice work and the character's emotion"Bioshock Infinite" combines clever gameplay with dynamic action and usefull AI. The story is mindblowing from start to finish, Elizabeth will help you out in combat without making it to easy, Vigors and Salts work better than Plasmids and Eve, and the atmosphere is breathtaking. The only minor downside in my opinion, is that in very few moments, the voice work and the character's emotion don't fully match, but besides from that it's a wonderfull game. Expand
  31. Mar 31, 2013
    Well what can I say about Bioshock Infinite is that it is amazing! It will make you want to play it over and over. The story takes place in 1912. A guy named Booker Dewitt has to bring a girl named Elizabeth and wipe away the dept. it takes place on a floating city called Columbia. The floating city of Columbia is amazing on PC, on console the graphics are good but it has a little bit ofWell what can I say about Bioshock Infinite is that it is amazing! It will make you want to play it over and over. The story takes place in 1912. A guy named Booker Dewitt has to bring a girl named Elizabeth and wipe away the dept. it takes place on a floating city called Columbia. The floating city of Columbia is amazing on PC, on console the graphics are good but it has a little bit of frame rate problems, and is not that a big problem threw out the game. The game play is amazing and really fun you can combo using a pistol and setting the guy on fire which is crazy fun with all the types of vigors. the game is 10hrs if you play straight threw the game, if you don't it will take you i say 13hrs around there. the characters are really good and they grow on you later on in the game. Elizabeth is a amazing character because she helps you in when your in a gun fight. She will give you ammo, med packs for health, and find some money to help you build up your weapon upgrades. the awesome thing she can open up is a thing called tears which help in the game. the voice acting is really great because the voice actors really seem like the characters in Bioshock Infinite. using the sky hook is a blast. This game will make you want to play it over and over again, and I am playing it again, it is the best game I ever played! Expand
  32. Mar 29, 2013
    It is so rare that I get so deeply impressed by a game, as I did by Bioshock Infinite. This game almost made me cry, not because its a sad game or because I got it completed, but because its just so damm good. It makes it very hard to explain why it is so good, maybe by saying that if you buy this game, you will see things you have never seen before in a game. It is worth all your money,It is so rare that I get so deeply impressed by a game, as I did by Bioshock Infinite. This game almost made me cry, not because its a sad game or because I got it completed, but because its just so damm good. It makes it very hard to explain why it is so good, maybe by saying that if you buy this game, you will see things you have never seen before in a game. It is worth all your money, so go get it. Expand
  33. Mar 26, 2013
    This game is a lot of fun to play. Quite a few moments where you feel horrible for the people in this place, all the hate and racism, but it is a story worth hearing. I really liked the new "plasmids" or should I say, Vigors, the bottles they come in are detailed and cool, and the abilities offer a more streamlined approach. Weapons are standard, not much there. The girl companion isThis game is a lot of fun to play. Quite a few moments where you feel horrible for the people in this place, all the hate and racism, but it is a story worth hearing. I really liked the new "plasmids" or should I say, Vigors, the bottles they come in are detailed and cool, and the abilities offer a more streamlined approach. Weapons are standard, not much there. The girl companion is very useful, tossing you ammo or health just at the right time, showing you things you may have missed, and not getting in your way. PC is the way to play this game, console graphics are kind of slop in places. 9/10 for this one, it's not Bioshock 1 that everyone compares it to, but it is a very well put together game with a great story and main characters. Worth the buy imo. Expand
  34. Mar 27, 2013
    I don't even know where to begin. I was left completely baffled after this game. I always liked the trailers but I didn't really go into the game with too high expectations, boy was I in for a pleasant surprise. Everything about the game as a whole is spot-on perfect; beautiful visuals, amazingly innovative area and level design, enjoyable and fluent combat with guns that simply feel rightI don't even know where to begin. I was left completely baffled after this game. I always liked the trailers but I didn't really go into the game with too high expectations, boy was I in for a pleasant surprise. Everything about the game as a whole is spot-on perfect; beautiful visuals, amazingly innovative area and level design, enjoyable and fluent combat with guns that simply feel right and last but definitely not least, the story. I don't think a game has sucked me into it with this caliber for a long, long time, and after finishing the game I depart with it with a sad feeling, knowing that I would likely not experience a masterpiece like this for a very very long time, and that my standard for games has been lifted much, much higher.

It would be a crime not to buy BioShock Infinite and experience it, for this game is certainly one of the best if not THE best game of 2013, we will see.
  35. Mar 27, 2013
    After undergoing a development cycle of six long years, Bioshock Infinite is finally here. Is it good? Great? Fantastic? It's every single one of those adjectives, and more. In fact, the word "infinite" pretty much sums up the amount of praise needed to give this game all the credit it, and the folks at Irrational games, deserve. Bioshock Infinite is everything a triple-A game of itsAfter undergoing a development cycle of six long years, Bioshock Infinite is finally here. Is it good? Great? Fantastic? It's every single one of those adjectives, and more. In fact, the word "infinite" pretty much sums up the amount of praise needed to give this game all the credit it, and the folks at Irrational games, deserve. Bioshock Infinite is everything a triple-A game of its caliber should strive to be. It's a game that people will be talking about for years to come, or comparing other titles with. It's a landmark, a beautiful lighthouse standing in the middle of the ocean we know as the gaming industry. And like it did with both Jack and Booker, that lighthouse will take you on the adventure of your lifetime. Expand
  36. Apr 5, 2013
    This game is a must get. I thought it was going to be terrible. I thought that since it wasn't in Rapture it wasn't Bioshock and yet the game is just amazing. I will admit the graphics aren't the best but really graphics don't matter as much as gameplay does. The controls are tight. No choppy controls at all. It's a linear shooter like the other two Bioshock games, but what sets this gameThis game is a must get. I thought it was going to be terrible. I thought that since it wasn't in Rapture it wasn't Bioshock and yet the game is just amazing. I will admit the graphics aren't the best but really graphics don't matter as much as gameplay does. The controls are tight. No choppy controls at all. It's a linear shooter like the other two Bioshock games, but what sets this game different from the other two is that it promotes exploration. You can get different vigors faster if you explore, or you can get a lot more money or health packs or a weapon that won't show up until a different part of the game happens. Most of the game you have Elizabeth with you. Now unlike most games Infinite just straight up tells you that she can take care of herself. You can tell that she can't take damage which is great but that doesn't mean she just sites out in the open. She hides behind you and makes it look like she is trying to hide. I find her to be the best follower in any game. She has an amazing story and she is helpful in combat even though she doesn't fight herself. She finds many different things (Those things she finds are things that you can't grab so the money she found is money that you wouldn't be able to get without her) like money inbetween combat, ammo for when you're low, salts which are like the injectors in the other two games and health packs. You can go into combat in multiple ways. You can have Elizabeth open a tear to have a auto turret open fire on your enemies and as their distracted you jump onto a skyline rail and hop down and surprise them.

All in all this game is a must get for any Bioshock lover.
  37. Mar 30, 2013
    Can't fit the whole review on here so read my full review here: http://tmblr.co/ZGdFcvhUdSuL

If you are an avid BioShock fan then this game will certainly satiate your need for more BioShock goodness. With a campaign set in a vibrant world with great characters, setting, story, atmosphere and combat which can span over 15+ hours of game time, BioShock Infinite is my favourite game of 2013 right now.
  38. Apr 4, 2013
    With amazingly fun gameplay, one of the best stories ever, and a companion that you actually want to escort, this is going to be one of the best games this year. A must buy in my opinion.
  39. Mar 26, 2013
    Ignore all the negative reviews. Any person that has any appreciation for a good story, incredible visuals, engaging characters, intense gameplay and impressive soundtracks will love this game. Please buy it.
  40. Mar 26, 2013
    The gameplay starts slow but keeps it interesting. The skyrail is one of the best features I've seen in a game and makes the combat much more fun than your standard run and gun game. I personally loved the story and it reminded me of a psychological thriller movie. The only real negative I would say is that I don't think I ever used the trap versions of the vigors. It also got easy onceThe gameplay starts slow but keeps it interesting. The skyrail is one of the best features I've seen in a game and makes the combat much more fun than your standard run and gun game. I personally loved the story and it reminded me of a psychological thriller movie. The only real negative I would say is that I don't think I ever used the trap versions of the vigors. It also got easy once you use the grenade launcher type weapons and spam those with Devil's Kiss. Expand
  41. Mar 26, 2013
    Easily one of the finest games of this or any other generation! Just like Telltale's the Walking Dead this game has characters you actually grow attached to. In terms of gameplay it outwits both of the previous Bioshock games and in story it blows them out of the water (or should I say sky) completely!
  42. Mar 26, 2013
    This game is simply stunnig and it's really hard to explain the Game 'cause there are so much much memorable moments in it. Everything kinda in this game just works completely perfectly with everything else! I can't wait for the DLC's!
  43. Apr 9, 2013
    Gameplay is awesome. To be able see the good stuff in terms of graphics,you better get a machine that supports it. This is worth the money, the wait and the hype.
  44. Mar 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story was really good and the graphics were sooooo awesome the gameplay was really cool but it was to short the game took me 5 hours to beat but it was worth the money the only thing i didnt like about the game was the ending it was soooo freakin sad and psychological why the did Songbird need to die such a horrible way he was so awesome if the game had a alternative ending then i would personally give it 10 but the ending ruins the game a little sorry for my english im danish so im not so good at it :S Expand
  45. Mar 27, 2013
    Pros -Best companion ever in any video game I have played, I am totally in love with Elizabeth. -Amazing graphics, amazing depth and amazing gameplay. -Outstanding presentation & exposition of themes such as religion, racism, nationalism, socialism & space time physics. -The best part are the psychological that surpasses every other psychological I have seen in any form of media in veryPros -Best companion ever in any video game I have played, I am totally in love with Elizabeth. -Amazing graphics, amazing depth and amazing gameplay. -Outstanding presentation & exposition of themes such as religion, racism, nationalism, socialism & space time physics. -The best part are the psychological that surpasses every other psychological I have seen in any form of media in very long time and I mean this in a good way. Cons
    -Lack of a quick save and the lack of manual save in non-1999 mode. All in all
    -Bioshock Infinite is easily the best game I have ever played in my entire life so far. It deserves all the awards and praises it is getting at the moment. It lived up to its hype and one of the few AAA games that actually deserve a day one purchase. Well done to Ken Levine & Co at Irrational
  46. Apr 8, 2013
    This game was brilliant. All the gripes I had with it were so inconsequential, and whenever they came into my head another awesome sky-line battle scene came along and I forgot all about them. I'll start with the pros.

Graphics: Stunning. Nothing more to say. 10/10 Story: Amazing, with a really shocking twist that I never saw coming, and great pacing, with a lengthy denouement that

Graphics: Stunning. Nothing more to say. 10/10

Story: Amazing, with a really shocking twist that I never saw coming, and great pacing, with a lengthy denouement that summed up everything really well. One or two plot holes that I noticed, and a couple of things that didn't quite add up for me, but I'm sure they were things that were explained in voxophones that I may have missed during my playthrough. The way they build up mystery is fantastic, and there is a lot of symbolism and deeper meaning that really added an extra dimension to the game. They don't treat you like a moron with the storyline, they don't spell it out for you, if you want to flesh it out you have to search for all the voxophones yourself and really pay attention to fully understand what's happening. 9.5/10

Other gameplay: The exploration was great. They don't give you too much money, which is good, because it means you pretty much have to choose between vigor upgrades or weapon upgrades. I found the lockpicking thing a bit arbitrary, by the end of the game I had about 30 lockpicks in my inventory which I never needed. But there is loads of extra detail for those who choose to explore and find it, I think a few more optional sidequests would have been good.
    Atmosphere: Fantastic, there is something definitely sinister about Columbia. The areas are really varied, there's Battleship Bay, all idyllic and peaceful, and then Comstock House, which is really creepy and actually quite scary in places, everything builds up to great atmosphere and immersion, especially with the great AI of Elizabeth and all the general public of Columbia. 10/10

Combat: Again, amazing, inventive and varied enemies, something that I didn't really like with the previous Bioshock games, the vigors are really well integrated and I found myself using pretty much all of them (except for undertow) and the vigor combos as well. There is a nice selection of guns, I was a little put out at first to find that you can't carry more than 2 but retrospectively, I think it's better that way. The sky lines are freaking amazing, and the sky line strike is one of the most satisfying things in a game, up there with the drop-down kill in Dishonored. Elizabeth is also a really neat addition to combat, giving you health, salts and ammo when you most need it.

Soundtrack: Nothing spectacular, but it does its job.

Overall: Amazing. Definitely recommend. If you enjoyed the 1st and 2nd Bioshock, you'll enjoy this. Don't be surprised when it gets nominated for and probably chosen as GOTY. Just.. Buy it.
  47. Apr 3, 2013
    Almost magical. 5.1 surround and a GTX560 on super high. I loved it from A to Z. Loved the ending,loved the gameplay, loved the soundtrack, loved the feeling of been in another world literally. Loved the acting, all the little details everywhere. Loved the difficulty, the enemies, the smoothness of the fighting /guns/vigor/rails. Only minor things I would have changed, like still inAlmost magical. 5.1 surround and a GTX560 on super high. I loved it from A to Z. Loved the ending,loved the gameplay, loved the soundtrack, loved the feeling of been in another world literally. Loved the acting, all the little details everywhere. Loved the difficulty, the enemies, the smoothness of the fighting /guns/vigor/rails. Only minor things I would have changed, like still in 2013, players have no legs. Many games pulled it off nicely like bf3 and others, I really don't get it. the repetitive same faces, but still, this deserve a 10/10. Expand
  48. Mar 26, 2013
    This is an amazing game. It deliveres everything that other shooters do not. 1. An amazing Story which i will not spoil. 2. Amazing graphics that fit the atmosphere perfectly. 3. NO BUGS SO FAR!!! Never thought the day would come when i would play a game on release without any bugs. 4. Superb gameplay: amazing levels, weapons, means of transportation so on and so on. I could go on but iThis is an amazing game. It deliveres everything that other shooters do not. 1. An amazing Story which i will not spoil. 2. Amazing graphics that fit the atmosphere perfectly. 3. NO BUGS SO FAR!!! Never thought the day would come when i would play a game on release without any bugs. 4. Superb gameplay: amazing levels, weapons, means of transportation so on and so on. I could go on but i desperately want to continue playing. And 2k was nice enough to give me Bioshock 1 and xcom: enemy unknown for FREE!!!!! Expand
  49. Mar 26, 2013
    Bioshock: Infinite starts off slow, but gradually builds suspense and finely touches up on the story as you progress. The action-combat system may remind you of a rehashed version of the original Bioshock, however this doesn't mean it's a bad thing. A lot of us who have played the previous Bioshock games have probably enjoyed the combat system in its time. Thus, being the reason why I'mBioshock: Infinite starts off slow, but gradually builds suspense and finely touches up on the story as you progress. The action-combat system may remind you of a rehashed version of the original Bioshock, however this doesn't mean it's a bad thing. A lot of us who have played the previous Bioshock games have probably enjoyed the combat system in its time. Thus, being the reason why I'm deducting one point, since the combat seemed a bit old-school and wasn't my main point of interest in the game. Second, the game play is linear, although, this wasn't much of a problem for me since I was so caught up in the immersive universe they have created. The story, was utterly amazing, I can't tell you how much I fell in love with the game by how detailed and caring they took with each character's personal structure. Elizabeth, is almost perfect, however, at time's she seems quite monotone with her actions, disregarding some emotion that could have been implemented during certain conflicts in the storyline. I personally feel as if they could have improvised and added a bit more dialog between Brook and Elizabeth, but overall, they did an excellent job. When the story wraps everything up in the end, I had such a strong emotional connection between the two. I could not of thought of anything better, they nailed it!! Playing through the game was pretty fun, it's very unique, and has such a diverse aspect the average "Triple A Title" that it's worth playing through again. I'd have to say, this must have been the best game I've played in a long time. I fell in love with the game, I was skeptical at first, but after playing the entire game, I've become obsessed with it. I want to thank those behind Irrational games and 2K for developing such a wonderful game, I'm looking forward to their upcoming DLC content! Expand
  50. Mar 27, 2013
    An incredible addition to the Bioshock series! Where to start....

Graphically this game is beautiful. First jumping into the world of Colombia gave me very much the same feeling of awe as the first Bioshock did with Rapture. The scenes seem to drastically change with the tone of the story, and overall it feels very free and unrestricted. The sound in the game was one of my favorite
    An incredible addition to the Bioshock series! Where to start....

The sound in the game was one of my favorite aspects. I don't know why Levine chose some of the songs that he did, but it made me EXTREMELY happy to hear one of them in particular. Elizabeth converses with you while you are walking from one point to another and it's NOT useless prattle, but actual conversation that progresses the story. I liked how the tapes (Virophones) pause if you engage in conversation or if something that was more important starts up, because the tapes in Bioshock did not do that.

Controls The first time I used the sky hook was scary!!!! But two seconds later I remember shouting to my roommates how awesome it was. It has a seamless combination with FPS combat as well, giving many combat scenarios much more meat to them.

The story has really set me to thinking. If there is one thing I can say, play the first Bioshock, please. You really get the full impact of the story if you play with first game before finishing Infinite. I want so badly to talk about the progression of Booker, and how mind blowing the end feels, but spoiler free review says you will have to play the game.

I had really high hopes for this game, and though it was a short game (I finished it with 100% completion in 9-ish hours) I feel it has more than met those expectations. It was everything I hold the Bioshock series to and more. 10/10
  51. Mar 27, 2013
    ГОДА.
    Интересная сюжетом.
    Сфежий CoD-ов
  52. Mar 27, 2013
    100 of 10.. Game of the Year! Ken The game broken all my mind. As if reading the best book in the world. My favorite franchise BioShock. 2k games Best.
  53. Mar 29, 2013
    This game is just Draw dropping i really suggest you should get it if you don't own it! In My view this is probably the best game i have ever been on! The Graphics are Urmmmm lets say AMAZING! you can see every little detail in the objects if you have a high performance gaming PC. The environment is perfect! The Story and location of the game is just Great! Really i would get it if i was you!
  54. Mar 29, 2013
    This is an absolute artistic masterpiece with characters that will stay in your memory. for the first time in years, I feel that the sequel equaled or surpassed the original. Bioshock 2 was nothing to remember or even care about playing. I never made it past the first few scenes. But This game gripped me from the start and held on till the ride was over. That is what I look for in aThis is an absolute artistic masterpiece with characters that will stay in your memory. for the first time in years, I feel that the sequel equaled or surpassed the original. Bioshock 2 was nothing to remember or even care about playing. I never made it past the first few scenes. But This game gripped me from the start and held on till the ride was over. That is what I look for in a good game

It was a short game, but you can say it's average for a shooter. But the story was deep if you took the time to investigate it. And the ending will grab you by your balls and mind F**K you. One of the best psychological twists I've seen in a game.
  55. Mar 29, 2013
    Anybody that rates this game less than an 8 simply doesn't get it or are trolling. Pity for those people, because they're missing out on a fantastic game. The depth of the story & characters, and the level of immersion in this fantasy city in the sky will keep you glued to your screen. The only reason it didn't get a 10/10 is because the game, while beautiful on a grand scale, has a fewAnybody that rates this game less than an 8 simply doesn't get it or are trolling. Pity for those people, because they're missing out on a fantastic game. The depth of the story & characters, and the level of immersion in this fantasy city in the sky will keep you glued to your screen. The only reason it didn't get a 10/10 is because the game, while beautiful on a grand scale, has a few minor imperfections that show through when viewed up close. I played the PC version on ultra settings and 1080p, and some textures still looked strange up close. Honestly, if I can give it a decimal score, it'd be a 9.8, except I tend to round down Expand
  56. Mar 29, 2013
    Have not seen better game since original Bioshock of new era. This is a masterpiece no matter what anyone personal feeling of setup is. Game works as a game it keep you with the game world as game should, mechanics works pretty well, although, as an shooter it's a bit choppy time to time, but since you just wanna see more of it it doesn't even bother. The engine sense I think graphicsHave not seen better game since original Bioshock of new era. This is a masterpiece no matter what anyone personal feeling of setup is. Game works as a game it keep you with the game world as game should, mechanics works pretty well, although, as an shooter it's a bit choppy time to time, but since you just wanna see more of it it doesn't even bother. The engine sense I think graphics looks great they could of done better job at optimizing it as running pretty heavy setups and yet can't get ultra or even very high to work in playable fps tells me something could of been done better. I'll rate this 10 any day over stuff I have seen in past 2 years in gaming. Hell, having hard time to even compare this at old school shooters which were good as this one, but this sure will be one of golden pieces in gaming history remembered for whole year 2013. Expand
  57. Mar 29, 2013
    probably THE best game i played in my life its not the game of the year its the game of the decade. This game is a masterpiece something that will last for life.
  58. Mar 29, 2013
    Inspiring...more than the original's "Atlas Shrugged" objectivist philosophy..and just damn good to play. Its easy to pick fault graphically etc, but simply enjoyed the achievement of a remarkable world and thoughtful approach to the genre. Had a great time in Columbia.
  59. Mar 29, 2013
    OK, it's my first review, and I register here only because I must write this: many years HL2 be the game number one... until now. I don't want HL3 or HL2 ep 3, after I finish BioShock Infinite. Actually, now I gonna betrayed myself(I protect HL2 many... many times) HL2 sucks. Really. Because BioShock Infinite is a perfect creation: script(this story is one of the best, and am actuallyOK, it's my first review, and I register here only because I must write this: many years HL2 be the game number one... until now. I don't want HL3 or HL2 ep 3, after I finish BioShock Infinite. Actually, now I gonna betrayed myself(I protect HL2 many... many times) HL2 sucks. Really. Because BioShock Infinite is a perfect creation: script(this story is one of the best, and am actually read really good books, characters, Easter eggs, universe e.t.c), game design(the best, actually), soundtrack, balance e.t.c. I don't want new Breaking Bad episode, I don't want new Half-Life, I don't want Dexter final episode, I only want new history in BioShock Infinite universe(I mean in a set of universes) created by Irrational games and Ken Levine. And for people who don't understand "why this game is so high scored?" last 20 minutes blow you mind, and you start this game again. I promise. Expand
  60. Mar 29, 2013
    Art, by its very nature is imperfect, but make no mistake, Bioshock: Infinite is as close as the gaming medium has come thus far. I can't promise you'll like this game, but I can promise it'll be recognized as one of the most important games as the art moves forward.

This game flawlessly uses contrasting moments of interactive narrative and explosively intense gunplay unlike any game before it. Zipping around the Skylines was surprisingly intuitive and intensely satisfying, while the vigors (akin to magic) and encounter design keep battles fresh and exhilerating even on a third
    playthrough. Unlike most modern shooters, Infinite rewards the player on an intellectual level both in combat and narrative, touching on subjects such as the idea of American Exceptionalism, Racism and String Theory. There's not really a lot more that can be said about such a narrative-driven experience without ruining it, and it's definitely an experience you don't want ruined.

Just two pieces of advice; play on PC if you have a good system, and wait through the credits ay the end of Coutnee and Troy's "Will the Circle be Unbroken."
  61. Mar 29, 2013
    Completely amazing game. The story is great and Elizabeth is the most relatable video game character I've ever come across. She's not just another NPC that you drag around, she's a person who you get to know. She helps you out in battle, she talks to you, she relates with you. Elizabeth makes this game. The only (minor) qualm I have with this game is the saving system. You can only loadCompletely amazing game. The story is great and Elizabeth is the most relatable video game character I've ever come across. She's not just another NPC that you drag around, she's a person who you get to know. She helps you out in battle, she talks to you, she relates with you. Elizabeth makes this game. The only (minor) qualm I have with this game is the saving system. You can only load your most recent checkpoint, and there's no clear indication of when that was. You can't quicksave or quickload, and you can't save previous saves. This prevents you from going back to re-do an area differently or to make a different decision without outright playing the game again. Because of this, I'd give it a 9.5/10 if I could, but Metacritic only allows whole numbers, so I rounded it up to a 10. All in all, an amazing experience. Expand
  62. Mar 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is legendary. The plot ism complex, the character's emotions and acting are something you would see in a Award-Winning movie, and the art is simply astonishing. This is one of the few games that really get you thinking...that being said, this game will have a long lifespan and will be talked about for ages to come. The A.I are absolutely brilliant! Elizabeth didn't frustrate me at all during the game, she helped me when I was just about dead or needed some salts. This game will have some controversy because it touches on subjects that no game has ever before bu that's good! This game is fresh and unique and all I can say is, THIS IS the first next-gen game. Sure there is some driver problems but that's the graphic card manufactures faults and they will release patches in the coming days. If you're reading this review all I can tell you to do is to stop whatever it is you may be doing and PURCHASE this game, Irrational deserves it. The ending is even more captivating than the game itself...That's all I'm telling you. Expand
  63. Mar 29, 2013
    The one real thing I look for in any single player game is how immersive the storyline is. And this game crushed any competition in my mind for any game I have ever previously played. Even though the gameplay is fairly linear, it is the story and the way the characters interact and develop that amazed me. I came to absolutely love both Booker and Elizabeth by the end and the development ofThe one real thing I look for in any single player game is how immersive the storyline is. And this game crushed any competition in my mind for any game I have ever previously played. Even though the gameplay is fairly linear, it is the story and the way the characters interact and develop that amazed me. I came to absolutely love both Booker and Elizabeth by the end and the development of their origins is astounding. My jaw was dropped for about a good 80% of the storyline-rich segments, and the rest of the time I was in and out of the amazing combat. The fluidity of combat in this game is some of the best I have ever experienced. For example the way you are able to shock a group of enemies, summon crows to attack them, then jump onto a skyline to just jump down onto an enemy, killing him, and assassinating his buddy by snapping his neck with your skyhook. Some of the most creative combat system I have ever seen. I would mention about the graphics, however I don't think I would be able to give a fair representation of how amazing this game really looks since my computer can only handle this game at low-medium settings, but even at that level the looks of the game are astounding.

Just the environment in the game has you hooked in so emotionally, even in the beginning when you first come to Columbia, that looking around you truly feel as if you are in the year 1912. With american flags and banners everywhere has me feeling constantly patriotic, yet with the institution of slavery still rampant in Columbia, it hit me right in the feels when you see a slave scrubbing a boardwalk as other nearby npc's are mocking them and talking down to them. One of the most emotional scenes I saw that wasn't even really a part of the story line **and I don't want to spoil anything for anyone so I'll skip when this happens** but you see a black woman who I thought I previously saw in shackles, sitting and holding her hands as if she was praying, and seeing a song about being free, it kind of sounded like amazing grace.

And that leads me into the sound is this game. If I had to rate the sound design on Bioshock Infinite on a scale of 1-10, I give it a 12. The music, the character voices, the gunshots, everything sounds so clear and perfect it pulls me in just as much as any of the visuals that accompany the sounds.

But I want to get back into the story. One thing I absolutely love about this game, which was also the case with the original Bioshock, is how you have to think about the storyline, about what's going on. Towards the end, when you finally unfold the truths of Booker and Elizabeth, as well as others, I have no better words than my mind was absolutely blown away. The depth to the storyline is so intense it had me thinking over and over again what has happened, as well as had me guessing as to what was to come. Yet, EVERY SINGLE TIME, I was amazed at what was revealed and how, whether I guessed right or not. The twists and turns and just the way this game f*cks with you mind is why I took the time to create this metacritic account 5 minutes after completing the game just to share how absolutely amazing this work of art is.

Irrational Games and Ken Levine, I need to say thank you for my new absolute favorite game. I was blown away by Bioshock, and never thought a game could top it, let alone by the same developers, yet you did it by expanding on it. This game is truly a work of art and a masterpiece and will forever go down in history, alongside the original Bioshock, as some of the greatest storylines ever written. It would take something magical, like Half Life 3 being announced and released this year to tear this game out of its position in my heart for game of the year. And now, if you'll excuse me, it's time to replay it in 1999 mode.
  64. Mar 30, 2013
    This game is simply a masterpiece, art.
    The graphics are wonderful, the setting is amazing, the story is the best ever told in a game or a movie or a TV show.
    The ending is most certainly the best ending ever featured in a game and will carry this for many many years. There is simply nothing wrong with this game, it is fun, beautiful, intresting and compliceited. 1010, becuse it is
    This game is simply a masterpiece, art.
    1010, becuse it is just... just perfect.
  65. Mar 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I played this game on 360. While i wanted to buy it for the PC, certain limitations in my life on the day of this game's release prevented me from doing so. Also i was spurred to write this review (and finally make a metacritic account) due to a certain JOKE of a review from a panzerbadger and the many other FAKE reviews for this game on Metacritic that were only made to drop a game's user review score by a fake account. Which is ridiculous (as anyone with a brain stem or any account of maturity would likely agree) and extremely childish. In panzerbadger's review he states that to rate this game highly (id assume between an 8 and 10) you'd either have to be paid or be a stupid teenager. The main problem with that argument is that its subjective and just plain stupid. Also for someone who makes a fake account, writes one review and criticizes others for they're opinions just goes to prove who the immature a$$hole is in the conversation. Just saying... That being said i'm now moving on to review the excellence that is Bioshock Infinite! (POSSIBLE SPOILERS ALERT!!!) Let me say that for all of my life Irrational Games has yet to let me down when it comes to a big release. Bioshock Infinite hits every right note in singing the beautiful melody that is, to me, the swan song of a dying generation of consoles. For 360, PS3 and PC owners this is a sure buy and will obviously go down as one of the best games that this generation has seen. Right up there with the original Bioshock from 2007. The combat in this game takes place either in semi closed quarters or fairly open levels. It isn't exactly free roaming like i expected it to be. While this was a slight disappointment i was pleased with the amount of layers the game gives you with combat. In a normal sequence i could set up traps and lay ambushes while calling in some assistance from another reality with Elizabeth's time tears. In another i could be swinging from skyline to skyline while sniping baddies off their flying ship, or calling in for added cover from a time tear to peak and shoot from and to keep my from looking like swiss cheese. The combat in this game is visceral and satisfying! I have some gripes to go with it however. There is a 2 gun carry mechanic, much like Halo, which i do not like over BioShock's original gun wheel and the game seems to make dying even harder than the original. Dying has hardly any consequence and so while the combat is satisfying there is a distinct lack of challenge. The amount of vigors in the game is far less than the original's plasmids and the gun and vigor (aka Plasmid) customization is watered down slightly. It isn't a big gripe for me but still is worth mentioning. To make up for this they did add in a more open Gear mechanic which allows you to equip 4 pieces of clothing which boost your character's skills and add all kinds of different effects. Its very much like the Gene Tonics of the original but with a little more depth. Another small gripe is the removal of hacking however you can still turn turrets and mechanical enemies in your favor with the use of a certain vigor so in a way its not completely gone. The health and Salt (aka EVE) mechanics are different this time and don't change anything for the worse but don't really improve either. All in all, in a lot of ways, Irrational stuck to they're guns when it came to combat mechanics and that isn't a bad thing when you're building off an already amazing foundation. Visually this game does not disappoint! Infinite doesn't look very crisp on the console but it still has an amazing visual breadth to it thanks to the astounding backdrop it is set against. The wow inducing flying city that is Columbia is one of the most interesting and beautiful settings i've ever seen in a video game and is fleshed out so vividly by Irrational that I truly felt like this game took place in a real time and place. The detail and color in the city makes it pop and comes alive right before your eyes and there are so many fascinating things that you learn from the Voxophones and short films you watch throughout the game. These are the new collectibles in the game and take excellent mantle of the 1st game's collectibles. The voice work and story are stellar and absolutely do not disappoint. The story is fleshed out through bosses and conversations throughout the game and truly bring life to Columbia as you tear through civil war torn streets and floating buildings. I wish i could say more and go into more detail but metacritic won't allow it :P While i never thought it would be so Irrational really has outdone themselves AGAIN in crafting an amazing video game experience from which so many developers should and probably will build on. Infinite is exactly the kind of final hurrah for this generation that i have come to expect from such a great generation and even the hardest of the die hard BioShock fans will find much love and fun in BioShock Infinite! 10 out of freaking 10 Expand
  66. Mar 30, 2013
    A brilliant game. I've been loving this series game for over 4 years and Infinite has really shocked me. The story can always break your guess and create a new start. I wanna play it for a 2nd time just to understand the whole story totally.
  67. Mar 30, 2013
    Bioshock Infinity is not just a game it's a masterpiece. Starting from the most beautiful, detailed Colombia, hurricanes, intelligent gameplay, and ending with breathtaking and unforgettable story.
    The first contender for Game of the Year title.
    Definitely 10 out of 10.
  68. Mar 30, 2013
    We do mini thumbs up or thumbs down reviews over at mini-steam reviews, but if I could have given this game a score... it would have been a 10. http://www.ministeamreviews.com/bioshock-infinite/
  69. Mar 31, 2013
    It's indeed an amazing game. Beatifull graphics, good gameplay and mindblowing history. Those who are complainning here just didn't play it until the end or just don't have a computer good enough to apreciate the graphics. I just hope it gets some cool DLCs, otherwise I'd downgrade this to 9. I even saw some people comparing this to other multiplayer shooters, this is not one. It's perfectIt's indeed an amazing game. Beatifull graphics, good gameplay and mindblowing history. Those who are complainning here just didn't play it until the end or just don't have a computer good enough to apreciate the graphics. I just hope it gets some cool DLCs, otherwise I'd downgrade this to 9. I even saw some people comparing this to other multiplayer shooters, this is not one. It's perfect for its genre. I apologize for my bad English.

In Brazilian Portuguese:

Cara, o jogo muito foda. O gráfico animal, a jogabilidade muito boa e a história daquelas que quando tu zerar o jogo, não vai mais saber o que fazer da vida. Depois de zerado não sobra muito pra fazer com ele, mas esperaremos que os DLCs sejam bons. Vale cada centavo.
  70. Mar 31, 2013
    Absolutely amazing game. Everything perfect to me: action, story, npc, end of story. Has a little problems with graphic options, but i assume, that trouble in my computer. Elizabeth most beautiful game character i have seen before. 10 of 10. GOTY for me. Thx to
  71. Mar 31, 2013
    By far the best game that I've ever played. Great voice acting, beautiful graphics, open combat environments that encourage creativity, commentary on turn of the century ideas of race and nationalism, innovative and incredibly compelling and moving story, and (of course) probably the best character that has even been in a video game. Irrational did an incredible job to create thisBy far the best game that I've ever played. Great voice acting, beautiful graphics, open combat environments that encourage creativity, commentary on turn of the century ideas of race and nationalism, innovative and incredibly compelling and moving story, and (of course) probably the best character that has even been in a video game. Irrational did an incredible job to create this masterpiece of a game. Many people are already saying GOTY, but as far as I'm concerned, I will never play a game that evoked as much emotion in me as Bioshock Infinite. Expand
  72. Mar 31, 2013
    This game is perfection on a disk. Bioshock Infinite has to be Game Of The Year without a doubt. With some of the best graphics and also a very deep and invoking storyline which will draw you in and leave you playing for hours on end. This game is a must have. For a price of $49.99 this game is superb and it is worth every single penny. I myself would happily pay $70 for this game. If youThis game is perfection on a disk. Bioshock Infinite has to be Game Of The Year without a doubt. With some of the best graphics and also a very deep and invoking storyline which will draw you in and leave you playing for hours on end. This game is a must have. For a price of $49.99 this game is superb and it is worth every single penny. I myself would happily pay $70 for this game. If you haven't already purchased this piece of art I suggest you get down to Gamestop right now and do. Expand
  73. Mar 31, 2013
    Amazing game. Love how you go in with a simple story: "Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt", but then gets deeper and deeper. Then comes the mind warping ending which makes you questing the more "simple" progression in the beginning and find subtle clues that were left throughout. Loved how they brought both the quantum paradox and divergent universe theories together to tell theAmazing game. Love how you go in with a simple story: "Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt", but then gets deeper and deeper. Then comes the mind warping ending which makes you questing the more "simple" progression in the beginning and find subtle clues that were left throughout. Loved how they brought both the quantum paradox and divergent universe theories together to tell the story. Can easily go over your head and can take time to settle. Graphics are not as great as the developers hyped them to be for PC. They use a lot of lighting trickery. Models and textures are what I would call average. But, the art style is beautiful. Amazing how they can create contrasting worlds in the same game. Animations are also very smooth and mostly organic. These are why I can let the other things slide.

Gameplay is also average similar to other shooters but with magic on the side (Almost identical to the other Bioshock games). There is the added dimension of the skylines which are really fun and super easy to navigate not becoming an unnecessarily complicated mechanic to lengthen the game, but to help speed things up a bit and also give you a wonderful view of this magnificent world. The game is certainly a lot easier than the original games. It was a breeze all the way, although the end became a bit tricky. There was little need for ammo/magic conservation or tactical cover. Ammo is quite plentiful and your health somewhat regenerates (not like the first game). This is not a bad thing this time round, as it was still super fun and kept you focused on the awesome story. There is 1999 mode which should increase difficulty after you complete your first playthrough.

My only gripe with the game is the save system. There are no multiple save slots, nor can you truly load your game from different points from where you progressed. I am personally okay with not being able to make manual saves, as this would make the game far too easy and remove the "game" or the fun in the challenge.

None of the small problems remove from what makes this game great. Certainly one of the greatest games of all time. Definitely one with possibly the greatest story that even rivals A-grade films like Inception.
  74. Mar 31, 2013
    Legendary.

Legendary.

Without giving anything away, the story is absolutely fantastic. It is well-written, incorporates many different themes flawlessly, has strong character development, and concludes with a thought provoking ending that will have you thinking about everything you experienced in the game. The setting of Columbia, a city in the sky, was the perfect place for this all to take place. It is beautiful, and you get to watch as it slowly falls apart on your quest to bring home Elizabeth and stop Zachary Hale Comstock.

But what is a game without gameplay? Well, this game has highly enjoyable gameplay. To combat your opposition, you use a combination of guns and vigors (BioShock Infinite's version of plasmids). How will you deal with those soldiers of the Founders' army? Will you use the fiery Devil's Kiss vigor to burn them to ashes? Will you just mow through them with a machine gun? Or will you use a strategic combination of both? There are many ways to handle a single scenario. The problem is, throughout the 10-15 hour campaign, there is not much incentive to change your strategy. For example, even though there are plenty of vigors at your disposal, there is little reason to swap away from two in particular. The weapon balance is also rather poor. Once you pick up the Carbine, never put it down. Same goes for the Hand Cannon. The automatic weapons and the heavy weapons are mediocre at best, as they chew through ammo and deal relatively poor damage. However, in the end, these shortcomings in balance are not enough to damper the experience. The combat is a blast, and you'll enjoy every second of it.

This game also encourages you to explore the world as much as you can. If you don't you'll find yourself unable to afford the weapon and vigor upgrades. But worse, if you don't explore the environment, you'll miss out on plenty of voxophones. Voxophones are audio recordings, and are crucial to fully understanding the story. Plus, why wouldn't you explore this world? It's beautiful!

It is time to deal with the elephant in the room. Is Elizabeth a terrible game-long escort mission? The answer to that is NO. Elizabeth is not only one of the most remarkable female followers in a video game, she is also one of the most remarkable characters in the history of video games. Her character is very similar to a classic Disney princess. Energetic, exciting, and cheerful. However, being that this game isn't a Disney fairy tale, her character will grow progressively darker and darker along with the game itself. However, the best part about her; not only is she fully capable of taking care of herself in combat, but you probably wouldn't survive without her. Besides the fact that she'll keep you supplied with ammo, salts, and health, she can use her special ability of opening tears in time and space. What does this mean? It means she can open tears containing health, guns, friendly turrets, and more, to aid you in combat. The catch is, she can only open one at a time, which leaves you with a decision. Do you want the tear containing a turret to help you defeat your enemies? Or do you want a tear that will keep your salts (the fuel for vigors) up? This adds on to the number of ways you can deal with a combat scenario, adding not only to the re-playability of the game, but also the depth of the combat.

One last thing worth noting is the sky-lines, which tie into traversing the city of Columbia and combat. You use a magnetic hook to speed down a metallic railway in the sky. This allows you to not only get from point A to point B, but to get the upper hand in a battle against your enemies. For example, say a Motorized Patriot (a massive, menacing robot that resembles either George Washington or Abraham Lincoln, depending on the faction) is keeping you pinned behind cover. Well, you could then use the sky-line to flank it and shoot it in the back.

Overall, legendary game. Rarely does a first person shooter have not only a brilliant story, but fantastic gameplay.
  75. Mar 31, 2013
    This game, like the original Bioshock before it, is a work of art. The city you explore, the philosophies and characters you meet all stay with you long after you actually finish the game.
  76. Apr 1, 2013
    As others have said, this game is a masterpiece, but like most masterpieces it's not without flaws. The first thing you will notice is that it is visually stunning. I found myself in awe of its beauty over and over as the story progressed through various environments. The portrayal and development of characters was superb. The game unfolds like a road movie- you're on a greatAs others have said, this game is a masterpiece, but like most masterpieces it's not without flaws. The first thing you will notice is that it is visually stunning. I found myself in awe of its beauty over and over as the story progressed through various environments. The portrayal and development of characters was superb. The game unfolds like a road movie- you're on a great journey with a companion, and your relationship has its ups and downs. Elizabeth is so convincingly brought to life that you'll find yourself talking to the screen, and when the journey is over you'll miss her. The gameplay is great fun. The weapons and character abilities are innovative and a blast to use. They are simple to use but difficult to master, and you'll want to replay the game once you get the hang of things. In many ways, this game raises the bar for game developers. The team that created this obviously poured out their heart and soul and it shows at every turn, but having said that, it's not perfect. You don't get to choose or design the character you play, the part is thrust on you. A lot of times I felt that I was playing the role of a bit of a jerk. The biggest flaw in the game is that it's linear and you really can't make any meaningful choices in how things eventually play out- you're basically along for the ride. It tells a story, and once you learn the ending it doesn't get any fresher in subsequent play-throughs. Expand
  77. Apr 2, 2013
    This game is nearly worth the hype. It's not as good as the original in terms of gameplay as it lacks the challenge, strategy, and atmosphere that Big Daddies added; the level design isn't as good from a gameplay perspectives (vs aesthetic one) likely because the number of unique environments; and the weapons & gameplay style aren't as customizable as Bioshock. However the story &This game is nearly worth the hype. It's not as good as the original in terms of gameplay as it lacks the challenge, strategy, and atmosphere that Big Daddies added; the level design isn't as good from a gameplay perspectives (vs aesthetic one) likely because the number of unique environments; and the weapons & gameplay style aren't as customizable as Bioshock. However the story & storytelling is where the game shines as well as the level of care that has been put into it, from the old time sounding renditions of modern pop songs, the Americana architecture of Columbia, & to having an AI character that is actually rewarding to interact with throughout the game. This is a must play for consoles.. Expand
  78. Apr 3, 2013
    What a game, blew my mind. From the beginning to end, the visuals were outstanding, and what drove the game was not the gameplay but the bautiful scenery and characters. Well deserved 10/10
  79. Apr 3, 2013
    In my opinion, to truly enjoy and understand Bioshock Infinite, you need to play through it twice, which I did and enjoyed greatly. I was disappointed at the weapon system, but using that 8th vigor (no spoilers for you) really was great fun, the theme was in tune considerably, a city stuck onto Colonial America, etc and it really shows that, something other games that touch upon theIn my opinion, to truly enjoy and understand Bioshock Infinite, you need to play through it twice, which I did and enjoyed greatly. I was disappointed at the weapon system, but using that 8th vigor (no spoilers for you) really was great fun, the theme was in tune considerably, a city stuck onto Colonial America, etc and it really shows that, something other games that touch upon the subject water down to an extent.

As for the gameplay, it was perfect, I'm surprised to see such a considerable amount of negative reviews myself. I think they just need to go back to Call of Duty if you ask me.

Anyway, my point is, great game, great fun. Was worth it, you will also need to play it twice to understand the ending too.
  80. Apr 5, 2013
    The game is amazing. That's about all I have to say, play it or don't, but do yourself a favor and play it. (on pc)
  81. Apr 4, 2013
    I can't recall the last time I was drawn into a game as well as in Bioshock Infinite. Even the earlier entries took me a while to really get into, but Infinite just clicked with me the minute I started it up.

The city of Columbia truly looks amazing, and makes for a great visual contrast to Rapture. Anybody who is saying that the game has bad graphics is clearly only paying attention to the raw graphical fidelity (which isn't the best we've seen recently, but it could be far worse) and missing the great aesthetic design that has been put into this game.

The gameplay is almost a carbon-copy of the first two games, and it works just as well, if not better in Infinite. Instead of Plasmids from Bioshock 1 and 2, Infinite introduces Vigors which work almost the same, but instead have very different effects from Plasmids, creating very good tactical mixes between them. The two weapon limit is a little disappointing, but overall the gameplay is still very solid and it lives up to it's predecessors.

As expected of a Bioshock game, the game tells a fantastic and engaging story. Although, much of the story can be missed, as the majority of it is told through voxophones, which are Infinite's version of the previous games' audio diaries.

Despite a few flaws, Bioshock Infinite is still one of the best games released in recent years, and well worth buying, especially for fans of the previous games.
  82. Apr 4, 2013
    The graphics is the best I have seen in a while and the story brings it up to what I would call a masterpiece, but it has some minor downfalls. Looting corpses went to far and lacking of puzzles, but it doesn't ruin the game experience.
  83. Apr 4, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is simply stunning. Very flexible combat with tons of powers, guns, and different enemy types make for pure adrenaline-fueled fun. The story is decisively mature, tackling racism, space & time, and the illusion of choice not only in games, but also in life. What most games are content to shy away from, Infinite embraces these topics head on. A most own, in my opinion.Bioshock Infinite is simply stunning. Very flexible combat with tons of powers, guns, and different enemy types make for pure adrenaline-fueled fun. The story is decisively mature, tackling racism, space & time, and the illusion of choice not only in games, but also in life. What most games are content to shy away from, Infinite embraces these topics head on. A most own, in my opinion. Playing on the 360 version, I did notice an inconsistent framerate almost throughout, if anything this is proof why we need a new generation of console hardware. Go for the PC version if your computer can run it. It controls great and while it is derivative of Bioshock 1, is completely unique and highly improved, and you will love the great atmosphere. Whereas Rapture from Bioshock 1 was an anarchist's utopia turned dystopia, Colombia is a theocratic dictatorship that strives for racial purification. The game has enormous detail and really respects its source materials. You feel like Colombia could be a real place. The ending is one of the best I've seen in a game, and the dialogue feels very natural, thanks to some fantastic voice acting. I love combining the powers and guns and jumping around the skylines, and just getting lost in the incredible world of Colombia. A MUST PLAY, RENTAL AT MINIMUM. Expand
  84. Apr 5, 2013
    %&$*ing haters. Let's see you do better at making something this good.
    If you wanted another Bioshock1 or 2 just go replay those. This was a great game and 1999 mode is pretty beast.
  85. Apr 5, 2013
    This game is a modern day masterpiece. Irrational have done a brilliant job bringing Columbia to life in incredible detail. It has a deep story which requires you to pay attention throughout the game. Combat is enjoyable, with skylines adding a fun element. Do yourself a favour and play this on hard the first time. Normal is a bit too easy so you don't have think so much about whichThis game is a modern day masterpiece. Irrational have done a brilliant job bringing Columbia to life in incredible detail. It has a deep story which requires you to pay attention throughout the game. Combat is enjoyable, with skylines adding a fun element. Do yourself a favour and play this on hard the first time. Normal is a bit too easy so you don't have think so much about which vigors and weapons to use, and you could find yourself playing through the game too quickly and miss some of the finer details. I am finding the second play through on 1999 mode even more enjoyable. The only thing I think could have been better is the weapon upgrades. Bioshock's weapon upgrades were much more interesting and affected the look of the weapons. Expand
  86. Apr 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow. Simply put, wow. Definitely the best game I've played since 2000, and easily in my top 5 of all time. From beginning to end it is a visual, game play, and dramatic aspects are all amazing. The constant interaction between Booker and Elizabeth finally give a love for the characters that previous Bioshock games were lacking. On my first play through I was unprepared for the ending, and while at first it was almost a slap to the face, on my second tome through I took more time, and noticed all of the little things they did throughout the game that all made sense now, and gave me a significantly deeper appreciation for he story. Beautiful game, made even better with a second time through. As a side note, kudos to developer Irrational games for not kneeling to the multiplayer crisis that plagues gaming. More games should be this plot driven, and focusing on telling a wonderful, yet tragic story, rather than making hours and hours and hours of mindless multiplayer. Expand
  87. Apr 5, 2013
    Amazing game... A little disappointed that my graphics card isn't supported. Wasn't a game-ruiner though. Story is very confusing to a point where it makes no sense. Things like the silent boy were not very well explained, but other than minor issues this is one of the best games in a while. I recommend this to ANYONE which a good enough PC. If you don't, Lets hope you have a consoleAmazing game... A little disappointed that my graphics card isn't supported. Wasn't a game-ruiner though. Story is very confusing to a point where it makes no sense. Things like the silent boy were not very well explained, but other than minor issues this is one of the best games in a while. I recommend this to ANYONE which a good enough PC. If you don't, Lets hope you have a console laying around... Expand
  88. Apr 6, 2013
    Passed the game more races I think it's a necessity to everyone in terms of understanding the plot. Combine all the pieces of the plot. Realized that the seemingly simple plot and jokes at the beginning of the game at all, and no joke, and a huge puzzle where there is no chance and everything has a logical explanation of where millions of worlds and characters together in the worldPassed the game more races I think it's a necessity to everyone in terms of understanding the plot. Combine all the pieces of the plot. Realized that the seemingly simple plot and jokes at the beginning of the game at all, and no joke, and a huge puzzle where there is no chance and everything has a logical explanation of where millions of worlds and characters together in the world BioShock Infinite.

Again plunged the world into a utopia Columbia now with a more serious attitude to the transfer and without slack-jawed (Sorry) began collecting puzzle of this incredible story. Indeed all is not accidental, and passing for the second time more interesting (if not strange). Understood all that had not previously understood. All more or less falls into place. And I'm too young to play and was surprised the world again and again start the game and the city of Columbia as a child I was fascinated by a toy. More races thanks to the developers for such a great job, so I was amazed and TES FallOut and hope to surprise no races. Adventure in several worlds at least unofficially, to play for his bad ego, to save his daughter as though you would know and not know it. Being here and there. All this is more than decorate the passing game in the second and more races. Inspect all and see something new that had not noticed before, or that you realize that I could not understand. The plot is very hard to understand. Just epic. Such games are not enough. Go ahead and do it, not everyone can, and who can receive such laurels which were Irrational Games. Game done with incredible love, hurt important topics. Everything worked out, every detail. All this makes a huge impression, the beauty of the world changes over time, revealing his black half, the world of bright colors goes to dark tones. The world who wanted to be perfect in the end was far from it. And the religion that has the primary role in Colombia a weapon of manipulation. Discrimination, the division between rich and poor. The working class and the capitalists. Wrestling. We're changing history of Colombia. Game as I said is very similar to Dishonored, seen almost from the beginning of the game. But all the time of the devil and adventure which he had never been to, we were accompanied by Elizabeth. For me, Elizabeth became the main element of the game and I think the developers would like it and there is a sense of adventure in this Utopian little world. Incredible "live" Elizabeth takes us the whole game, and in general that protects us, and we were not the usual in games. Developers simply falling for us in it and it changes the whole game, exploring the world finds freedom. Actually a lot of what I've seen here in a different light, the main character aka Booker DeWitt think relinquish Elizabeth, as she has a greater weight and that I remembered. And the beauty of it certainly is impressive. Generally consider it the best partner, the character of women's gender, and lock with a "live" and moving the entire history of games. I think it is impossible to forget.

Verdict:

That's because of these masterpieces can be called the art of the video game industry, what perhaps may open a new covered that in the beginning it seems a joke, at the end of the main part of the adventure, what may seem to be and that which is not there. And the fact that it does not. I realized that he did not understand in the beginning. Pazl.Alleluia collected.
  89. Apr 6, 2013
    Irrational Games brought this generation of gaming to me with the original Bioshock. That game made me stand up and take note. It made me stand up and realize that video games can be as immersive, even more so than any other medium and that they are a perfect vehicle for involving stories. This new title, Bioshock Infinite has made me sit back down again; so that I could bask in itsIrrational Games brought this generation of gaming to me with the original Bioshock. That game made me stand up and take note. It made me stand up and realize that video games can be as immersive, even more so than any other medium and that they are a perfect vehicle for involving stories. This new title, Bioshock Infinite has made me sit back down again; so that I could bask in its achievements.

Graphically, this game has the occasional matte texture but when compared to something like the paper tres of Skyrim, Columbia is beautiful. It looks beautiful, it sounds beautiful and just feels fully realised. The shooting mechanics are decent. The skylines and vigors mix things up enough so as the 11 or so hours of the campaign never feel monotonous.

In this game, you are Booker DeWitt and the relationship between Booker and Elizabeth underpins a phenomenal sci fi tale that beats inception at its own game. I'm not going to ruin the story because to experience it in any way other than for yourself is a crime. What I will say is, that last line. Wow.

I had guessed all the twists and the ending before halfway. That didn't stop me enjoying the plot. In fact, realising what's going on means you can understand more and process quicker when these twists are actually revealed so that you can piece this puzzle together more efficiently. I could talk for days about this game and its story, but you shouldn't be reading this, you should be playing Bioshock Infinite.
  90. Apr 6, 2013
    This game is close to perfect. Firstly, I do not play FPS games. It's never been my style, but all the hype this game built up drew me to it.

It amazes me that people are able to give this game anything less than a 9, the only reason I could fathom this is if these individuals are too mentally limited to understand the story, somehow appalled by the 1910-1920's setting and music (Is absolutely amazing for anyone at all historically cultured), is too mentally simplistic to understand the marvelous parody of American Exceptionalism and religious cults, or was expecting a hardcore bloody slaughter fest FPS (clearly does not play nor understand the first Bioshocks).

The game play is beautiful. Switching from a beautiful sky city to the slums of a factory, the game truly provides stimulus for a visual orgasm.

The characters are deep, interesting, and easy to get emotionally attached to.

The game play is smooth and very simple, even for first-time FPS gamers, like myself. The true diamond of the game is Elisabeth, as a non-combat co-character she may well be the best sidekick in history. Not only is is amazingly realistic, interesting, lovable, and fun story-wise she's also intelligent and useful in combat situations without ever getting in the way I at unlike sidekicks in other games. The game is worth playing just for the sole purpose of experiencing the marvel that is Elisabeth.
  91. Apr 6, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite was the best experience I have ever had in gaming. The story line was so clever, the gameplay was extremely fun, and the scenery, good Lord, it was amazing! The surrounding was so accurate to its time. Elizabeth was outstanding. She will certainly be remembered throughout the ages of gaming as the greatest female companion in my book. This game was just perfect.
  92. Apr 8, 2013
    One of those games, which leave you with feeling of hunger for more. Playing this game was a wonderful experience, what can be compared to reading a fascinating book.

It is beautiful, it is thrilling, the characters are deep, the plot is brilliant. One of the best games I have ever played.

I am deeply thankful for authors of this game for taking me on this adventure.
  93. Apr 8, 2013
    All I can say about this game is that it is absolutely great. It has an amazing story, decent fights, some ingenious gameplay aspects and an incredible AI companion. If you haven't played this yet then you really should!
  94. Apr 9, 2013
    The first Bioshock's greatest strength was not it's gameplay and mechanics, although they were fun and innovative, the real strength was its surprisingly deep and thought provoking storyline. BioShock Infinite, dare I say, manages to raise the bar and exceed all my high expectations. It rewards the "thinking" player, which may alienate some who are just looking for a fast paces firstThe first Bioshock's greatest strength was not it's gameplay and mechanics, although they were fun and innovative, the real strength was its surprisingly deep and thought provoking storyline. BioShock Infinite, dare I say, manages to raise the bar and exceed all my high expectations. It rewards the "thinking" player, which may alienate some who are just looking for a fast paces first person shooter (as reflected in the other reviews. The game not only twists its focus on ideologies (examining the extremism of a theocracy, and later examining the extremism of the rebelling left-wing faction) but it also twists focus on its theme entirely. The gameplay has improved since the first BioShock, and has near perfect pacing. Expect to take many breaks in-between long and strenuous battles and simply explore the scenery and locale of Columbia. There is a lot to see and get distracted by. The game is multi-faceted and works on many levels. one of the most important being the A.I. of Elizabeth, a character who aides you a majority of the game. Simply put, this is the best BioShock game, and will be a game to be remembered, maybe even surpassing the original BioShock in terms of "importance" to the gaming community. Expand
  95. Apr 9, 2013
    When you first start this game you don't really understand why it is so highly ranked, why is it number one. But after one or two hours you realize that it is hard to stop playing it. When you finish the game, you realize this is one of the best games you have played in your life.
  96. Apr 9, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is not what you would call a perfect game. The middle gets a tad bit tedious, the campaign is relatively short, and there are some small character development flaws around a character or two. But overall I think it was a fantastic game and easily the best game that I've played all year. The setting is beautiful and a real treat to look at (as my computer can handle theBioShock Infinite is not what you would call a perfect game. The middle gets a tad bit tedious, the campaign is relatively short, and there are some small character development flaws around a character or two. But overall I think it was a fantastic game and easily the best game that I've played all year. The setting is beautiful and a real treat to look at (as my computer can handle the maximum settings) as well as be engaged in. The Skyline network is very well done as it is engaging enough where you're just not doing anything and easy enough to use so that it becomes a simple game play element. Which is another thing this game does very well. The gun play is superb and is filled with a pretty good amount of guns as they all have different and important tactics that they excel at. The health system is an enjoyable improvement and will keep you alive easily (but not too easily) if you're careful. Vigors, as they're called in this game, are a BioShock essential and make for an interesting combination of tactics. The companionship is excellent as I found Elizabeth to be a real help as she often found ammo, health, and salts for me to use. And of course there is the story which is excellent as it is engaging, interesting, and most importantly I was pleased with the ending. I'd say it was as good (maybe even better) as the ending to Red Dead Redemption. The big question though is if the game is worth the $60 price tag and I say yes. With a short story that deserves a couple, or maybe even a few play through's the campaign will come with a decent amount of hours, but the experience makes it all worth the while (and if you're skeptical, rent it or buy it on some massive Steam sale). I truly believe this is not a game that anyone should pass up. Expand
  97. Apr 9, 2013
    I actually loved to play this game, starting it up reminded me of watching a TV series, 'What's going to happen next?' I always thought. The characters in this game are all very well designed and have depth and Elizabeth feels more helpful than a burden. The ending is one of the most beautifully crafted i have seen as i felt emotionally attached to the Story/Characters. I think this gameI actually loved to play this game, starting it up reminded me of watching a TV series, 'What's going to happen next?' I always thought. The characters in this game are all very well designed and have depth and Elizabeth feels more helpful than a burden. The ending is one of the most beautifully crafted i have seen as i felt emotionally attached to the Story/Characters. I think this game lives up to the hype entirely! Expand
  98. Apr 9, 2013
    Quite simply one of the most breathtaking and stunning gaming experiences of this generation. A quite incredible story woven together wonderfully combined seamlessly with a satisfying and easy combat system. Infinite absolutely blew me away, I didn't think it could possibly contend with the masterpiece that was the original Bioshock, but personally I'd put it on the same level. It isn'tQuite simply one of the most breathtaking and stunning gaming experiences of this generation. A quite incredible story woven together wonderfully combined seamlessly with a satisfying and easy combat system. Infinite absolutely blew me away, I didn't think it could possibly contend with the masterpiece that was the original Bioshock, but personally I'd put it on the same level. It isn't afraid to upset the social apple-cart, and without being preachy or attempting to put the world to right it meticulously dissects the folly of man. Perhaps its biggest achievement is Elizabeth, a companion who wasn't a) A constant source of annoyance, or b) A spanner in the works of the combat, far from it she actually enhanced the story telling aspects, was likable and brought a new dimension to the combat system. The art style and graphics were absolutely marvelous, Columbia lives and breathes like a real city, much like the sunken depths of rapture. A quite remarkable gaming experience that I would recommend to anyone who appreciates a story. Expand
  99. Apr 13, 2013
    First of all, I want to clarify that BioShock Infinite is an amazing game that needs to be experienced by all. Anyone who says that you can see the ending coming or that anything in this game is below beautiful, they are hugely mistaken. The people who are writing bad reviews on this game obviously lack creativity and imagination and have nothing better to do then hate on a game that willFirst of all, I want to clarify that BioShock Infinite is an amazing game that needs to be experienced by all. Anyone who says that you can see the ending coming or that anything in this game is below beautiful, they are hugely mistaken. The people who are writing bad reviews on this game obviously lack creativity and imagination and have nothing better to do then hate on a game that will be talked about for generations to come. The gameplay is fun and addictive, the way irrational tried to incorporate a semi-open world was innovative, but, I can admit that it could have been done better. The textures are beautiful no matter what anyone says, especially on PC, and the story is one that will stick in your head throughout most of your life, and will probably be referred to or discussed for years to come, since the ending was quite unclear and the story was a bit complex. All in all it is a brilliant masterpiece of storytelling that anyone with a widespread imagination and an interest in storytelling and art should buy and enjoy Expand

Play BSI slowly, relish the moments and don’t rush to the end. It’s certain that you will have lived one of the richest gaming experiences that, as far as narration, lyricism and story are concerned, will take a lot of time to forget! [May 2013]
  2. May 7, 2013
    A very solid, but not revolutionary shooter in an amazing setting, with a story that struggles to convey its authors’ ambitions and is only seemingly complex. The vision is less focused than in previous Bioshocks and it does a worse job on binding the plot with gameplay. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.46]
  3. May 1, 2013
    Problematic plotting and excessive amounts of poorly balanced combat apply friction to what is otherwise one hell of a rollercoaster. [May 2013, p.80]