BioShock Infinite PC

8.5

1. Mar 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I played this game on 360. While i wanted to buy it for the PC, certain limitations in my life on the day of this game's release prevented me from doing so. Also i was spurred to write this review (and finally make a metacritic account) due to a certain JOKE of a review from a panzerbadger and the many other FAKE reviews for this game on Metacritic that were only made to drop a game's user review score by a fake account. Which is ridiculous (as anyone with a brain stem or any account of maturity would likely agree) and extremely childish. In panzerbadger's review he states that to rate this game highly (id assume between an 8 and 10) you'd either have to be paid or be a stupid teenager. The main problem with that argument is that its subjective and just plain stupid. Also for someone who makes a fake account, writes one review and criticizes others for they're opinions just goes to prove who the immature a$$hole is in the conversation. Just saying... That being said i'm now moving on to review the excellence that is Bioshock Infinite! (POSSIBLE SPOILERS ALERT!!!) Let me say that for all of my life Irrational Games has yet to let me down when it comes to a big release. Bioshock Infinite hits every right note in singing the beautiful melody that is, to me, the swan song of a dying generation of consoles. For 360, PS3 and PC owners this is a sure buy and will obviously go down as one of the best games that this generation has seen. Right up there with the original Bioshock from 2007. The combat in this game takes place either in semi closed quarters or fairly open levels. It isn't exactly free roaming like i expected it to be. While this was a slight disappointment i was pleased with the amount of layers the game gives you with combat. In a normal sequence i could set up traps and lay ambushes while calling in some assistance from another reality with Elizabeth's time tears. In another i could be swinging from skyline to skyline while sniping baddies off their flying ship, or calling in for added cover from a time tear to peak and shoot from and to keep my from looking like swiss cheese. The combat in this game is visceral and satisfying! I have some gripes to go with it however. There is a 2 gun carry mechanic, much like Halo, which i do not like over BioShock's original gun wheel and the game seems to make dying even harder than the original. Dying has hardly any consequence and so while the combat is satisfying there is a distinct lack of challenge. The amount of vigors in the game is far less than the original's plasmids and the gun and vigor (aka Plasmid) customization is watered down slightly. It isn't a big gripe for me but still is worth mentioning. To make up for this they did add in a more open Gear mechanic which allows you to equip 4 pieces of clothing which boost your character's skills and add all kinds of different effects. Its very much like the Gene Tonics of the original but with a little more depth. Another small gripe is the removal of hacking however you can still turn turrets and mechanical enemies in your favor with the use of a certain vigor so in a way its not completely gone. The health and Salt (aka EVE) mechanics are different this time and don't change anything for the worse but don't really improve either. All in all, in a lot of ways, Irrational stuck to they're guns when it came to combat mechanics and that isn't a bad thing when you're building off an already amazing foundation. Visually this game does not disappoint! Infinite doesn't look very crisp on the console but it still has an amazing visual breadth to it thanks to the astounding backdrop it is set against. The wow inducing flying city that is Columbia is one of the most interesting and beautiful settings i've ever seen in a video game and is fleshed out so vividly by Irrational that I truly felt like this game took place in a real time and place. The detail and color in the city makes it pop and comes alive right before your eyes and there are so many fascinating things that you learn from the Voxophones and short films you watch throughout the game. These are the new collectibles in the game and take excellent mantle of the 1st game's collectibles. The voice work and story are stellar and absolutely do not disappoint. The story is fleshed out through bosses and conversations throughout the game and truly bring life to Columbia as you tear through civil war torn streets and floating buildings. I wish i could say more and go into more detail but metacritic won't allow it :P While i never thought it would be so Irrational really has outdone themselves AGAIN in crafting an amazing video game experience from which so many developers should and probably will build on. Infinite is exactly the kind of final hurrah for this generation that i have come to expect from such a great generation and even the hardest of the die hard BioShock fans will find much love and fun in BioShock Infinite! 10 out of freaking 10 Expand
  2. Mar 30, 2013
    A brilliant game. I've been loving this series game for over 4 years and Infinite has really shocked me. The story can always break your guess and create a new start. I wanna play it for a 2nd time just to understand the whole story totally.
  3. Mar 30, 2013
    Bioshock Infinity is not just a game it's a masterpiece. Starting from the most beautiful, detailed Colombia, hurricanes, intelligent gameplay, and ending with breathtaking and unforgettable story.
    The first contender for Game of the Year title.
    Definitely 10 out of 10.
  4. Mar 30, 2013
    We do mini thumbs up or thumbs down reviews over at mini-steam reviews, but if I could have given this game a score... it would have been a 10. http://www.ministeamreviews.com/bioshock-infinite/
  5. Mar 31, 2013
    This game is perfection on a disk. Bioshock Infinite has to be Game Of The Year without a doubt. With some of the best graphics and also a very deep and invoking storyline which will draw you in and leave you playing for hours on end. This game is a must have. For a price of $49.99 this game is superb and it is worth every single penny. I myself would happily pay $70 for this game. If youThis game is perfection on a disk. Bioshock Infinite has to be Game Of The Year without a doubt. With some of the best graphics and also a very deep and invoking storyline which will draw you in and leave you playing for hours on end. This game is a must have. For a price of $49.99 this game is superb and it is worth every single penny. I myself would happily pay $70 for this game. If you haven't already purchased this piece of art I suggest you get down to Gamestop right now and do. Expand
  6. Mar 31, 2013
    Amazing game. Love how you go in with a simple story: "Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt", but then gets deeper and deeper. Then comes the mind warping ending which makes you questing the more "simple" progression in the beginning and find subtle clues that were left throughout. Loved how they brought both the quantum paradox and divergent universe theories together to tell theAmazing game. Love how you go in with a simple story: "Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt", but then gets deeper and deeper. Then comes the mind warping ending which makes you questing the more "simple" progression in the beginning and find subtle clues that were left throughout. Loved how they brought both the quantum paradox and divergent universe theories together to tell the story. Can easily go over your head and can take time to settle. Graphics are not as great as the developers hyped them to be for PC. They use a lot of lighting trickery. Models and textures are what I would call average. But, the art style is beautiful. Amazing how they can create contrasting worlds in the same game. Animations are also very smooth and mostly organic. These are why I can let the other things slide.

Gameplay is also average similar to other shooters but with magic on the side (Almost identical to the other Bioshock games). There is the added dimension of the skylines which are really fun and super easy to navigate not becoming an unnecessarily complicated mechanic to lengthen the game, but to help speed things up a bit and also give you a wonderful view of this magnificent world. The game is certainly a lot easier than the original games. It was a breeze all the way, although the end became a bit tricky. There was little need for ammo/magic conservation or tactical cover. Ammo is quite plentiful and your health somewhat regenerates (not like the first game). This is not a bad thing this time round, as it was still super fun and kept you focused on the awesome story. There is 1999 mode which should increase difficulty after you complete your first playthrough.

My only gripe with the game is the save system. There are no multiple save slots, nor can you truly load your game from different points from where you progressed. I am personally okay with not being able to make manual saves, as this would make the game far too easy and remove the "game" or the fun in the challenge.

None of the small problems remove from what makes this game great. Certainly one of the greatest games of all time. Definitely one with possibly the greatest story that even rivals A-grade films like Inception.
  7. Mar 31, 2013
    This game, like the original Bioshock before it, is a work of art. The city you explore, the philosophies and characters you meet all stay with you long after you actually finish the game.
  8. Apr 2, 2013
    This game is nearly worth the hype. It's not as good as the original in terms of gameplay as it lacks the challenge, strategy, and atmosphere that Big Daddies added; the level design isn't as good from a gameplay perspectives (vs aesthetic one) likely because the number of unique environments; and the weapons & gameplay style aren't as customizable as Bioshock. However the story &This game is nearly worth the hype. It's not as good as the original in terms of gameplay as it lacks the challenge, strategy, and atmosphere that Big Daddies added; the level design isn't as good from a gameplay perspectives (vs aesthetic one) likely because the number of unique environments; and the weapons & gameplay style aren't as customizable as Bioshock. However the story & storytelling is where the game shines as well as the level of care that has been put into it, from the old time sounding renditions of modern pop songs, the Americana architecture of Columbia, & to having an AI character that is actually rewarding to interact with throughout the game. This is a must play for consoles.. Expand
  9. Apr 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first thing that comes to mind here, looking at professional and user reviews, isn't 10/10 or 100% a bad review? Doesn't this score imply, or even mean that there is nothing that is wrong with this game, nothing that could be even slightly improved? The goal of perfection is an unattainable goal. A score of 100 on any game raises my suspicion of the clarity of people who play it.

Bioshock Infinite is an enjoyable game. It does not feel like the best game I could ever play. The game suffers from incredibly easy combat, but gives very little reason for your character being pretty much a genocidal, unstoppable killer. For a game shouted about to feature story as its main component, it sure features a lot of unnecessary combat.

The game improves on one of the major flaws of Bioshock 1, where the player was never given a moment's peace to explore, although often promised a moment of calm. This is heavily improved on, allowing the player at least two very large moments where they can explore without annoyance, any any moment taken to explore felt fantastic.

The sound design in this game is probably the most epic I've heard in quite some time. At the start of the game, approaching the crowd singing feels amazing, watching them sing and sway as a crowd is really good. Elizabeth's voice actor is outstanding, the moment where you are taken 70 years into the future and can hear through tears Elizabeth pleading for her safety, wildly and loudly is almost chilling. I feel that the sound approaches a greatness not previously experienced in games.

There is a strangely omnipresent sound of a high strung "what have you done" moment in the audio whenever you kill a foe. This, at first seems very pertinent to the situation, not really understanding who you're killing or why you're killing people. This sound remains throughout the game, and by the end it is questionable why it's still playing other than a "congratulations you've killed someone" sound, losing the reason behind its occurrence.

I found that while the game has a large set of weapons and powers to use, by half way through the game I was only using one weapon, and one power. While the game introduced other powers and weapons, I felt no reason to use them. Others will find fun in gaining the achievements for using the weapons, I suppose. The achievements regarding powers and weapons very little deviate from simply using them.

I feel that the story, up to a point, is very good. The story explores very well and opens up heavily to the idea of multiverse and time travel, and conveys quite well the problem with changing events in time. The game then falls completely flat on its face at the end in this regard by deciding that you can change events without any consequences other than the one you expect. The game seems completely open to showing time travel and its implications then by the end decides that the most major and regularly noted theory of time travel, specifically the grandfather paradox, is worth forgetting about and discarding.

I feel that the game could have really put more effort in, but was so focused on telling a story in the way they wanted (which is in their rights, of course, nobody has to obey to the regularly noted theories of time travel and such) that the story telling rapidly degenerated from being told exceptionally well to the end, where it defaults to stuffing revelations down the player's throat.

Whilst I feel the ending is a major letdown compared to the rest of the game, the rest of the game is filled with memorable moments that uplift it.

The game is not the masterpiece that many people want it to be, but is not the over-hyped disaster that the naysayers want it to be. It game is a good, thoroughly enjoyable yet flawed experience. But hey, Bioshock always has a paradise with flaws, so I guess that works out.
  10. Apr 6, 2013
    As a complete newcomer to Bioshock (you may even say unaware of its existence), I approached this game on the basis of a friend whose opinion I trust on these gaming matters. Now you've probably expect the clichéd, 'and I was not disappointed!' but... in all honesty I was.

Don't get me wrong, the visual enigma of this game surpasses anything I have played. I use a high end work-based laptop (not a gaming PC) and yet it still handled most of the graphical settings on very high or ultra quality very well I have no complaints at all. The graphics, coupled with the beautiful music absorb you into this strange and twisting world right from the start and carry you through a kaleidoscope of scenes and moods almost effortlessly.

Further, I enjoyed the free nature of this game and the ability it gives you to go off and have a little wonder, discovering hidden gems (including a beautiful musical moment fairly early through). For all its worth I think this is where this game comes into its own. It doesn't feel linear or forced even though there is usually only one way to the finish (save one place), as it holds you up in vast open battle arenas or warrens of streets and it is yours to go and explore and find vantage points (aided by the city's rail networks).

So my problem? The story. Now even in my harshest ponderings I cannot pick many holes. The perfection of other aspects, however, draws your attention to one or two plot confusions, and at points even using some of the game's mechanics (only twice in one case) to force the story onwards. It feels as though in places the designers got carried away until they hit a dead end and only then thought, "ah...now what?"

These forced links, as mentioned, are sometimes covered (without spoiling it) by two erudite characters who are involved from the start and only then does their significance become unearthed. And for all the rubbish that they speak, I think the implementation of them into the game is practically flawless and, at times, injects that little bit of comedy that these games often lack.

My last problem is a minor balancing issue, which is what brings this game from a 9 to an 8. I can't help but feel that the large arsenal of weapons and 'vigours' on offer are fully tuned to work with each other. I'd feel some weapons become very powerful when you start upgrading them and that really disperses the field somewhat, leaving you with an arsenal of one or two weapons and maybe one vigour which you specialise in. I just wish it was a little easier to be able to pick up new weapons and for them to pack the same punch as what you were using it'd feel that little bit more fluid.

In all this is a spectacular game. It is a story controlled by you and it doesn't feel cinematic despite its beauty. The designers keep you in the hot-seat throughout save perhaps the starting thirty minutes or so and immerse you in this strange and beautiful world. It is a beautiful game to play and difficult to put down, and you can play it the way you want. It is only when you finish and look back at what happened, as I have done, that you realise its flaws. But for everything in the world, do not let that put you off.
  11. Apr 9, 2013
    The first Bioshock's greatest strength was not it's gameplay and mechanics, although they were fun and innovative, the real strength was its surprisingly deep and thought provoking storyline. BioShock Infinite, dare I say, manages to raise the bar and exceed all my high expectations. It rewards the "thinking" player, which may alienate some who are just looking for a fast paces firstThe first Bioshock's greatest strength was not it's gameplay and mechanics, although they were fun and innovative, the real strength was its surprisingly deep and thought provoking storyline. BioShock Infinite, dare I say, manages to raise the bar and exceed all my high expectations. It rewards the "thinking" player, which may alienate some who are just looking for a fast paces first person shooter (as reflected in the other reviews. The game not only twists its focus on ideologies (examining the extremism of a theocracy, and later examining the extremism of the rebelling left-wing faction) but it also twists focus on its theme entirely. The gameplay has improved since the first BioShock, and has near perfect pacing. Expect to take many breaks in-between long and strenuous battles and simply explore the scenery and locale of Columbia. There is a lot to see and get distracted by. The game is multi-faceted and works on many levels. one of the most important being the A.I. of Elizabeth, a character who aides you a majority of the game. Simply put, this is the best BioShock game, and will be a game to be remembered, maybe even surpassing the original BioShock in terms of "importance" to the gaming community. Expand
  12. Apr 9, 2013
    When you first start this game you don't really understand why it is so highly ranked, why is it number one. But after one or two hours you realize that it is hard to stop playing it. When you finish the game, you realize this is one of the best games you have played in your life.
  13. Apr 9, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is not what you would call a perfect game. The middle gets a tad bit tedious, the campaign is relatively short, and there are some small character development flaws around a character or two. But overall I think it was a fantastic game and easily the best game that I've played all year. The setting is beautiful and a real treat to look at (as my computer can handle theBioShock Infinite is not what you would call a perfect game. The middle gets a tad bit tedious, the campaign is relatively short, and there are some small character development flaws around a character or two. But overall I think it was a fantastic game and easily the best game that I've played all year. The setting is beautiful and a real treat to look at (as my computer can handle the maximum settings) as well as be engaged in. The Skyline network is very well done as it is engaging enough where you're just not doing anything and easy enough to use so that it becomes a simple game play element. Which is another thing this game does very well. The gun play is superb and is filled with a pretty good amount of guns as they all have different and important tactics that they excel at. The health system is an enjoyable improvement and will keep you alive easily (but not too easily) if you're careful. Vigors, as they're called in this game, are a BioShock essential and make for an interesting combination of tactics. The companionship is excellent as I found Elizabeth to be a real help as she often found ammo, health, and salts for me to use. And of course there is the story which is excellent as it is engaging, interesting, and most importantly I was pleased with the ending. I'd say it was as good (maybe even better) as the ending to Red Dead Redemption. The big question though is if the game is worth the $60 price tag and I say yes. With a short story that deserves a couple, or maybe even a few play through's the campaign will come with a decent amount of hours, but the experience makes it all worth the while (and if you're skeptical, rent it or buy it on some massive Steam sale). I truly believe this is not a game that anyone should pass up. Expand
  14. Apr 9, 2013
    I actually loved to play this game, starting it up reminded me of watching a TV series, 'What's going to happen next?' I always thought. The characters in this game are all very well designed and have depth and Elizabeth feels more helpful than a burden. The ending is one of the most beautifully crafted i have seen as i felt emotionally attached to the Story/Characters. I think this gameI actually loved to play this game, starting it up reminded me of watching a TV series, 'What's going to happen next?' I always thought. The characters in this game are all very well designed and have depth and Elizabeth feels more helpful than a burden. The ending is one of the most beautifully crafted i have seen as i felt emotionally attached to the Story/Characters. I think this game lives up to the hype entirely! Expand
  15. Apr 9, 2013
    Quite simply one of the most breathtaking and stunning gaming experiences of this generation. A quite incredible story woven together wonderfully combined seamlessly with a satisfying and easy combat system. Infinite absolutely blew me away, I didn't think it could possibly contend with the masterpiece that was the original Bioshock, but personally I'd put it on the same level. It isn'tQuite simply one of the most breathtaking and stunning gaming experiences of this generation. A quite incredible story woven together wonderfully combined seamlessly with a satisfying and easy combat system. Infinite absolutely blew me away, I didn't think it could possibly contend with the masterpiece that was the original Bioshock, but personally I'd put it on the same level. It isn't afraid to upset the social apple-cart, and without being preachy or attempting to put the world to right it meticulously dissects the folly of man. Perhaps its biggest achievement is Elizabeth, a companion who wasn't a) A constant source of annoyance, or b) A spanner in the works of the combat, far from it she actually enhanced the story telling aspects, was likable and brought a new dimension to the combat system. The art style and graphics were absolutely marvelous, Columbia lives and breathes like a real city, much like the sunken depths of rapture. A quite remarkable gaming experience that I would recommend to anyone who appreciates a story. Expand
  16. Apr 13, 2013
    First of all, I want to clarify that BioShock Infinite is an amazing game that needs to be experienced by all. Anyone who says that you can see the ending coming or that anything in this game is below beautiful, they are hugely mistaken. The people who are writing bad reviews on this game obviously lack creativity and imagination and have nothing better to do then hate on a game that willFirst of all, I want to clarify that BioShock Infinite is an amazing game that needs to be experienced by all. Anyone who says that you can see the ending coming or that anything in this game is below beautiful, they are hugely mistaken. The people who are writing bad reviews on this game obviously lack creativity and imagination and have nothing better to do then hate on a game that will be talked about for generations to come. The gameplay is fun and addictive, the way irrational tried to incorporate a semi-open world was innovative, but, I can admit that it could have been done better. The textures are beautiful no matter what anyone says, especially on PC, and the story is one that will stick in your head throughout most of your life, and will probably be referred to or discussed for years to come, since the ending was quite unclear and the story was a bit complex. All in all it is a brilliant masterpiece of storytelling that anyone with a widespread imagination and an interest in storytelling and art should buy and enjoy Expand
  17. May 3, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is one of the best works of Irrational Games. The Steampunk atmosphere and also the story are so charming. If you want to play a game with good story and if you want to play a game for surviving in a good atmosphere, don't miss that game
  18. May 4, 2013
    There's an awful lot of love and hate for this game. So for the purpose of keeping things simple, I'd like to give a in depth review (no spoilers) that looks at the positive and negative side of the argument to help people decide whether or not to buy it.
    First off, don't go into this game expecting a fast paced FPS or you will be dissappointed. This is a story driven game. There are plenty of actions sequences, but playing just for them will leave you dissapointed. Infinite's story is one of the best I've ever seen. However, you need to get in the habit of slowing down and really taking in the world around you. Hunting for voxophones and listening to conversations really brings the world to life. The story can be a bit confusing as a lot of things have symbolism that won't be apparent until late in the game, but it's the kind of story that will make you want to go back and play again to better understand these points. I won't give away the ending, but it really does end with a bang.
    Secondly, the gameplay. veterans of the series will notice right off that weapon slots have been reduced to two. This is both a positive and negative thing. Personally, it steered me more towards using the powers rather than just run and gunning. However, it takes away the ability to swap ammo types, which feels limiting. The vigors (plasmids) are a lot of fun to use, but are incredibly unbalanced. The first one you get can possess enemies, and when upgraded, causes soldiers to fight for you, then suicide when the timer runs out, allowing entire rooms to be cleared by turning everyone against each other. While they are varied and fun, more work needed to be done to ensure balance.
    Third, the world. Leaving Rapture was a risk that paid off. The first time you set foot in Columbia made my jaw drop. The vibrant colors were a great change of pace from Rapture and any other game in recent months. The city is widely varied and beautiful to look at. However, while work was put into the design, the textures are not as high as could be. This doesn't really take away from the experience, but it could have made a great city even better. Character models work nice though. Some people say it's linear, but in a story driven game, that's almost a necessity. A open world would have lost focus on the main story. I'm not saying it absolutly wouldn't work, but it would have required a major redesign.
  19. May 14, 2013
    One of the best games story wise and graphical immersion I've played You will instantly get submersed into the world of Columbia the second you get into it, the games main characters are easily likeable and interesting at the same time, it met my hype with all expectations, while indeed far different from traditional bioshock games as of a "creepy not sure what's around the corner" styleOne of the best games story wise and graphical immersion I've played You will instantly get submersed into the world of Columbia the second you get into it, the games main characters are easily likeable and interesting at the same time, it met my hype with all expectations, while indeed far different from traditional bioshock games as of a "creepy not sure what's around the corner" style its more about the whole "surreal" and "mind blowing" effect this time around, You can without a doubt tell this this is one polished Triple-A game, the ONLY complaint I have is the ending is a tad hard to comprehend at first but with some quick searching online and maybe another replay its understandable. Expand
  20. Jun 1, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite was a joy to play, I enjoyed the storyline throughout the entire game, The Gameplay was solid, exciting and thrilling, The Graphics were just amazing, but there were some parts were the graphics look fake, just an example, at the start of the game when you get baptised a boy runs up to you and gives you a telegram, he looked really fake but who cares?I have playedBioshock Infinite was a joy to play, I enjoyed the storyline throughout the entire game, The Gameplay was solid, exciting and thrilling, The Graphics were just amazing, but there were some parts were the graphics look fake, just an example, at the start of the game when you get baptised a boy runs up to you and gives you a telegram, he looked really fake but who cares?I have played previous Bioshock games before and they changed the way I enjoy games, There are many guns to choose from but you can only carry two guns at a time, this is good because you really have to think about what you need, The vigors plasmids from the other bioshock games) really bring the game to life but I only used two of them throughout the game, I spent about 14-15 hours playing this, there are many things you can do like finding loot, gear etc. I would recommend this game to anybody because they will finish the game breathless. Expand
  21. Apr 5, 2013
    Well told story with one of the most complete worlds ever made. Solid game play that is fun and worthwhile. Sound and animation are very good. Must buy
  22. Pat
    Mar 29, 2013
    Enjoyed the experience a good bit due to the crazy setting and story but just like the original Bioshock, the combat that you are doing throughout the entire game is lacking.
  23. Mar 26, 2013
    Right let's get one thing straight...
    I loved original bioshock, and number dissapointed to no end.
    Bioshock Infinite is good: 1. Gorgeous graphics 2. Average gameplay not overwhelming amount of effort has gone in to making the gameplay positive though at no point was it bad or unplayable, plus seen no glitches in full play through on day one since release. 3. Very short, very very
    Right let's get one thing straight...
    I loved original bioshock, and number dissapointed to no end.
    Bioshock Infinite is good:
    1. Gorgeous graphics
    3. Very short, very very short only about 8-10 hours of play is a bad point so know that it won't be a game that will last.
    4. Most importantly the story of this game is absolutely out of this world this game has the best story of any game released in recent history not to say it could easily trump most highly appraised games of old as well.
    So all in all if you are looking for a game with a lot of shooting and killing and such go back to playing COD kid this is a game for those of us who love a great narrative frankly I think this game could be the best game I have ever played, when it comes to story at least, and few games match the beautiful graphics that are jaw-dropping for even the most jaded players.

If anything give it a look and if you are not interested in playing it at least watch someone play through the thing so you know the story as it is worth seeing cuz it is amazing
  24. Mar 26, 2013
    Played this for about 3 hours, thoroughly enjoying it. The graphics compliment the setting, making it particularly immersive (especially with the Christian imagery throughout the opening, adds some extra 'flavour' to it). Overall the gameplay itself has been enjoyable so far; on harder difficulties it presented some form of challenge, forcing me to use multiple tactics such as placingPlayed this for about 3 hours, thoroughly enjoying it. The graphics compliment the setting, making it particularly immersive (especially with the Christian imagery throughout the opening, adds some extra 'flavour' to it). Overall the gameplay itself has been enjoyable so far; on harder difficulties it presented some form of challenge, forcing me to use multiple tactics such as placing traps. If you're expecting the creepy, eerie atmosphere of Bioshock you may be disappointed although it is somewhat eerie, the dark setting of the original is lacking in this game, but this wasn't a big issue for me. A major issue I had regards the controls and interface only being able to carry 2 weapons felt restrictive, and the keyboard setup (Z is the default to ADS, for example) felt a bit awkward, but this is resolvable. Overall a cinematic experience with a few minor issues, but an exciting, colourful game nonetheless. Expand
  25. Mar 30, 2013
    A bit more simplified when compared to Bioshock... yet equally (if not more) fun than its predecessor. What makes this game so special is the incredible setting and mesmerizing story, one which will be remembered as one of gaming's best... an ending that satisfies and shocks more than you could have ever wanted... and an AI companion that is all but artificial. While we're a part of aA bit more simplified when compared to Bioshock... yet equally (if not more) fun than its predecessor. What makes this game so special is the incredible setting and mesmerizing story, one which will be remembered as one of gaming's best... an ending that satisfies and shocks more than you could have ever wanted... and an AI companion that is all but artificial. While we're a part of a console-dominant era, System shock's gameplay mechanics are lost and gone, crying and pleading will not bring them back (maybe kickstarter might, who knows)...and i could have been PC-elitist-centric and whine throughout my Bioshock Infinite experience, but i can't...and wont...
    I had a lot of fun, i was touched by the story...i loved the graphics, the design and atmosphere... the music...the sounds and the voice-acting. Hope you have as much fun as i had and let the Bioshock saga continue, it deserves nothing less.
  26. Mar 30, 2013
    So many thoughts, and so many emotions, and often its impossible to discern one from another. I don't know how to describe it, but video games aren't known to make you feel this way. Then again, BioShock was never known from taking the well-traveled road. Be glad it doesn't.
  27. Apr 2, 2013
    Was there a problem with this game? Yes. TOO SHORT!

This game is absolutely wonderful. One of the few games that I have played straight through. Graphics are excellent. Gameplay is strategic. City is great fun to explore. Science fiction elements of the game are nicely integrated. You definitely won't go wrong to play this title. I liked it much better than Bioshock 1 & 2.
  28. Apr 4, 2013
    The thing that I love most about Infinite is it brings back classic gameplay while still innovating, sure you may not like the backtracking or the lack of hand holding, but this game was not made for casual players. This game was a masterpiece from start to finish, it clued you in to certain events subtly while providing additional details in the hidden collectibles. It pushed you to goThe thing that I love most about Infinite is it brings back classic gameplay while still innovating, sure you may not like the backtracking or the lack of hand holding, but this game was not made for casual players. This game was a masterpiece from start to finish, it clued you in to certain events subtly while providing additional details in the hidden collectibles. It pushed you to go out of your way if you wanted to discover all the pieces of the puzzle. The gameplay had you make choices constantly and hard or 1999 mode flying around the battlefield picking up any weapon you could get your hands on. A game that makes you think yet challenges your every decision, that is what makes this a perfect game.

P.S. I would go into the fantastic voice acting, breathtaking environments, game defining companion, and the absolutely sensational soundtrack, not to mention THAT ending, but I need to finish 1999 mode. Do yourself a favor and play this game at some point because it will change the way you think about games.
  29. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I almost wanted to give this game an 8, but then I remembered that I had so much fun playing it that I wanted to play it again right away! The thing about this game is that I loved it for the gameplay and characters, but it falls short in a big way for me personally. This was a fun game, but the story is somewhat flawed. Now I'll say right now, and admit right now, that in a game like this there are automatically going to be things that you have to take as is. In a fantasy/sci fi/surreal game or whatever you can call this insane game, you have to accept that there are things that there are no explanation for. Which is fine because there's no reason to spend hours explaining how the skyhooks actually work, and how you can jump from a skyline 50 meters onto the ground and take not a lick of damage. It's pointless, as Shakespeare said, "Brevity is the soul of wit", the game doesn't need to explain little things like this because it detracts from the story. But the problem is that character reactions are often... I would say confusing. >spoilers< First of all when you find Elizabeth and break her out, after she sees that she's been watched, she starts asking "What am I!?" First of all, Elizabeth is probably the best thing about the game, but the dialogue in the first part of the game is actually kind of silly. Why would she ask "what am I?" You find out almost instantly that she spent all of her time trapped in the tower reading books, that's how she knows how to lockpick, read geographical coordinates, and that crap. Yet even with all that reading she doesn't find it weird that she can open doors to other dimensions? Nothing even hinted to her that this wasn't normal? I was actually kind of surprised personally that she didn't catch on. There's a lot to be asked about her in general. Basically we are told songbird took care of her while she was in the tower, but that leads me to wonder why she can even talk or read in the first place. She acts like a refined citizen, even more strangely speaking like she's from the year 2000 (as if that is a humans default speaking tone), no old style accent or cadence like booker. The problem here is twofold; she is a fully grown, well groomed female with exceptional vocal skills yet she acts like she has no idea about things outside the tower. She seems to have a comprehensive knowledge of columbia sometimes, and other times not at all. Examples like not knowing what cotton candy are, or why there are two different bathrooms for racial types seem like pretty weird things. Especially the bathroom thing, racial separation is a pretty big thing in columbia. Beyond the strange behavior of the characters which often raises more questions than anything, the fact is Elizabeth is the most impressive AI character to ever follow you around in a first person shooter. Her facial expressions reflect the mood of the level, when you stand around she'll often go lean on something or look at an object on the ground. She will be shocked when you mutilate someone with the skyhook, on top of all of this she's about as strong as she looks aka not very. It's nice to see a female character in a video game that isn't the typical "feminist opinionated butch chick". Elizabeth is probably the most impressive part of this game besides some of the visuals that have been put together. Lastly the story. The story is a little more jumbled than the first bioshock, it still seems to make sense at first, but the later half of the game starts to get a little bit well, stupid. The closer the game seems to get to the core of all the WHY questions that have been put in your head the less it seems it's going to reveal them. The writing is the typical bioshock style. By which I mean psuedo intellectual philosophical crap. It's all the same as the first bioshock, a lot of stuff that sounds cool, but in the end could mean a million different things to different people, and ultimately fails to deliver a message that results in a conclusion. By the end of the game you wonder why you should even do anything because the longer the game goes on the more Elizabeth seems to know but can't explain to you. Eventually I felt like I was just following her around hoping for the best. In the end that's really how the game ends. With you following Elizabeth around, hoping for an answer to why and how any of what happened happened. But it doesn't quite get there. Even with all of that crap in the story though, the ending is definitely not bad and the story is definitely not boring. Albeit silly and often cryptically pointless. In conclusion great game, ambiguous but interesting story, and fantastic character personality. Expand
  30. Apr 5, 2013
    So, this is a great game, the story is amazing, the visuals are fantastic and the world was beautiful and immersive. However I did not like the combat (played on Hard and 1999 mode). Apart from the heavy hitters there was not enough variety or tactical challenge. The vigors added some depth to the combat but frankly I didn't need to use most of them and it felt a little tacked on. HoweverSo, this is a great game, the story is amazing, the visuals are fantastic and the world was beautiful and immersive. However I did not like the combat (played on Hard and 1999 mode). Apart from the heavy hitters there was not enough variety or tactical challenge. The vigors added some depth to the combat but frankly I didn't need to use most of them and it felt a little tacked on. However the narrative and characters totally washed this away and I do think this will be a strong contender for game of the year. Expand
  31. Aug 23, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is a refreshing break from the bland genre that the modern FPS has become. The setting and atmosphere of Columbia really fit the time period and make for a cohesive feeling universe. The city buildings and residents fit the period with enemies and the Vox giving that "bioshock" flavor. Also really enjoyed the original music and the modern songs redone old style and aBioShock Infinite is a refreshing break from the bland genre that the modern FPS has become. The setting and atmosphere of Columbia really fit the time period and make for a cohesive feeling universe. The city buildings and residents fit the period with enemies and the Vox giving that "bioshock" flavor. Also really enjoyed the original music and the modern songs redone old style and a capella. The story is well written, structured, has good pacing and kept me interested. The mechanics of the skyline in combination with the weapons and skills allow for some interesting combinations. There are a few faults such as some uneven difficulty, some under/overpowered weapons & skills and AI lacking smart strategy (mostly just pursue and attack). Overall though its a fantastic game. Expand
  32. May 9, 2013
    Let's be honest, the gameplay itself it's mediocre, normal shooter with some special powers BUT the story and climate of this game are just perfect. The way the story is told, and it's construction leave player open-mouthed and shocked. The graphics aren't as flashy as Far Cry 3 graphics but artistically they stand on a very high level, the music is very subtle and perfectly adjusted toLet's be honest, the gameplay itself it's mediocre, normal shooter with some special powers BUT the story and climate of this game are just perfect. The way the story is told, and it's construction leave player open-mouthed and shocked. The graphics aren't as flashy as Far Cry 3 graphics but artistically they stand on a very high level, the music is very subtle and perfectly adjusted to what's happening on screen. Hands down for me it's gonna GotY in FPS category. Expand
  33. Mar 30, 2013
    Now THIS is a video game. The prime and shining example of an incredible story that CANNOT be told through any other media. It has the gameplay, it has the visuals but its the brilliant storytelling that will truly set this masterpiece apart from any other game created this generation. Bioshock Infinite stands (almost)alone in stark contrast to the stale rehashes, reboots and sequels weNow THIS is a video game. The prime and shining example of an incredible story that CANNOT be told through any other media. It has the gameplay, it has the visuals but its the brilliant storytelling that will truly set this masterpiece apart from any other game created this generation. Bioshock Infinite stands (almost)alone in stark contrast to the stale rehashes, reboots and sequels we gamers keep on receiving. This game raises the bar not just for the other FPS's, but for the entire industry as a whole, not only all gamers, but everyone in the gaming industry needs to sit up and take notice.... this is how its done. Expand
  34. Apr 6, 2013
    That game was awesome, and it's story was like Steven Moffat slapped Bioshock 2 for being bad so hard it flew past Inception, into the stratosphere and became a Planeswalker.
  35. Apr 5, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is great.. I should actually say perfect, best game so far yet this year. Based on my system, it only needs 700MB of RAM, current CPU and GFX settings turned up on Ultra, runs beautifully.. 2K did an absolutely terrific job on this one and I can well now see why it won the awards. The scores are better than even FC3, i'm surprised with that but I surely ain't saying itBioshock Infinite is great.. I should actually say perfect, best game so far yet this year. Based on my system, it only needs 700MB of RAM, current CPU and GFX settings turned up on Ultra, runs beautifully.. 2K did an absolutely terrific job on this one and I can well now see why it won the awards. The scores are better than even FC3, i'm surprised with that but I surely ain't saying it wasn't a bad game.

The game has some new stuff in it like the hummingbirds, etc. makes it look so much better. I can see alot of dishonored in the game and alot of BS1 and I was absolutely pleased with those two. That arm peace weaponry is a good tool, it works alone and is all in one. Last night after doing the mission where you fall from sky, I almost pissed myself.

It's sad to see that the hacking is gone but its great to see that tape playing and item gathering is still there, I spent an entire hour scavenging around in the begining for loose change laying around and of course other items. Steam sure did go crazy on the achievements but sure ok i'm cool with that.

I am very pleased with the price I paid for this, the game does deserve every penny. Thank you 2K for making such a beautiful and well put together game.
  36. Apr 1, 2013
    What can I say about this game that hasn't already been said? Amazing game. The story is original, complex, well told, and rarely dull. The gameplay is fun and addictive. The two central characters are very well fleshed out. I am pleased to say that, in Bioshock Infinite, Elizabeth is useful and you really start to care for her. I was worried about having to play with an NPC for 80% of theWhat can I say about this game that hasn't already been said? Amazing game. The story is original, complex, well told, and rarely dull. The gameplay is fun and addictive. The two central characters are very well fleshed out. I am pleased to say that, in Bioshock Infinite, Elizabeth is useful and you really start to care for her. I was worried about having to play with an NPC for 80% of the game, but looking back I really think Elizabeth only enriched the gaming experience. I only have one, tiny nit-pick about the game: the two weapon limit. The limit is more realistic and makes the game more challenging, BUT I found that at times I was using the same weapons over and over. Still, this is a minor complaint because the moment you finish Infinite, you will want to start a new game and use different weapons, different tactics, etc. Expand
  37. Mar 28, 2013
    The BioShock franchise and the team in Boston redefine gaming once again with BioShock Infinite. The original game was a masterpiece upon release, it still aged very gracefully.. I know this more appropriately now because I just slammed my way through both BS1 and BS2 before tonight's midnight launch. And no, I have not finished Bioshock Infinite. However, I am going to review this gameThe BioShock franchise and the team in Boston redefine gaming once again with BioShock Infinite. The original game was a masterpiece upon release, it still aged very gracefully.. I know this more appropriately now because I just slammed my way through both BS1 and BS2 before tonight's midnight launch. And no, I have not finished Bioshock Infinite. However, I am going to review this game based on my 5 hours of gameplay... why? you may ask? Because the first 2 HOURS of gameplay were more enjoyable than the entire BioShock series. It sucks you in, immediately, and never let's go. If you bought this game on launch for $60 give yourself a pat on the back. You truly made a strong purchasing decision that just helped the gaming industry as a whole. This game just paved the way for what we expect in our next gen titles! Expand
  38. Mar 29, 2013
    It is so rare that I get so deeply impressed by a game, as I did by Bioshock Infinite. This game almost made me cry, not because its a sad game or because I got it completed, but because its just so damm good. It makes it very hard to explain why it is so good, maybe by saying that if you buy this game, you will see things you have never seen before in a game. It is worth all your money,It is so rare that I get so deeply impressed by a game, as I did by Bioshock Infinite. This game almost made me cry, not because its a sad game or because I got it completed, but because its just so damm good. It makes it very hard to explain why it is so good, maybe by saying that if you buy this game, you will see things you have never seen before in a game. It is worth all your money, so go get it. Expand
  39. Apr 5, 2013
    This game is a must get. I thought it was going to be terrible. I thought that since it wasn't in Rapture it wasn't Bioshock and yet the game is just amazing. I will admit the graphics aren't the best but really graphics don't matter as much as gameplay does. The controls are tight. No choppy controls at all. It's a linear shooter like the other two Bioshock games, but what sets this gameThis game is a must get. I thought it was going to be terrible. I thought that since it wasn't in Rapture it wasn't Bioshock and yet the game is just amazing. I will admit the graphics aren't the best but really graphics don't matter as much as gameplay does. The controls are tight. No choppy controls at all. It's a linear shooter like the other two Bioshock games, but what sets this game different from the other two is that it promotes exploration. You can get different vigors faster if you explore, or you can get a lot more money or health packs or a weapon that won't show up until a different part of the game happens. Most of the game you have Elizabeth with you. Now unlike most games Infinite just straight up tells you that she can take care of herself. You can tell that she can't take damage which is great but that doesn't mean she just sites out in the open. She hides behind you and makes it look like she is trying to hide. I find her to be the best follower in any game. She has an amazing story and she is helpful in combat even though she doesn't fight herself. She finds many different things (Those things she finds are things that you can't grab so the money she found is money that you wouldn't be able to get without her) like money inbetween combat, ammo for when you're low, salts which are like the injectors in the other two games and health packs. You can go into combat in multiple ways. You can have Elizabeth open a tear to have a auto turret open fire on your enemies and as their distracted you jump onto a skyline rail and hop down and surprise them.

All in all this game is a must get for any Bioshock lover.
  40. Mar 26, 2013
    The gameplay starts slow but keeps it interesting. The skyrail is one of the best features I've seen in a game and makes the combat much more fun than your standard run and gun game. I personally loved the story and it reminded me of a psychological thriller movie. The only real negative I would say is that I don't think I ever used the trap versions of the vigors. It also got easy onceThe gameplay starts slow but keeps it interesting. The skyrail is one of the best features I've seen in a game and makes the combat much more fun than your standard run and gun game. I personally loved the story and it reminded me of a psychological thriller movie. The only real negative I would say is that I don't think I ever used the trap versions of the vigors. It also got easy once you use the grenade launcher type weapons and spam those with Devil's Kiss. Expand
  41. Mar 26, 2013
    Easily one of the finest games of this or any other generation! Just like Telltale's the Walking Dead this game has characters you actually grow attached to. In terms of gameplay it outwits both of the previous Bioshock games and in story it blows them out of the water (or should I say sky) completely!
  42. Mar 26, 2013
    This game is simply stunnig and it's really hard to explain the Game 'cause there are so much much memorable moments in it. Everything kinda in this game just works completely perfectly with everything else! I can't wait for the DLC's!
  43. Mar 27, 2013
    100 of 10.. Game of the Year! Ken The game broken all my mind. As if reading the best book in the world. My favorite franchise BioShock. 2k games Best.
  44. Mar 29, 2013
    Have not seen better game since original Bioshock of new era. This is a masterpiece no matter what anyone personal feeling of setup is. Game works as a game it keep you with the game world as game should, mechanics works pretty well, although, as an shooter it's a bit choppy time to time, but since you just wanna see more of it it doesn't even bother. The engine sense I think graphicsHave not seen better game since original Bioshock of new era. This is a masterpiece no matter what anyone personal feeling of setup is. Game works as a game it keep you with the game world as game should, mechanics works pretty well, although, as an shooter it's a bit choppy time to time, but since you just wanna see more of it it doesn't even bother. The engine sense I think graphics looks great they could of done better job at optimizing it as running pretty heavy setups and yet can't get ultra or even very high to work in playable fps tells me something could of been done better. I'll rate this 10 any day over stuff I have seen in past 2 years in gaming. Hell, having hard time to even compare this at old school shooters which were good as this one, but this sure will be one of golden pieces in gaming history remembered for whole year 2013. Expand
  45. Mar 31, 2013
    Absolutely amazing game. Everything perfect to me: action, story, npc, end of story. Has a little problems with graphic options, but i assume, that trouble in my computer. Elizabeth most beautiful game character i have seen before. 10 of 10. GOTY for me. Thx to
  46. Mar 31, 2013
    By far the best game that I've ever played. Great voice acting, beautiful graphics, open combat environments that encourage creativity, commentary on turn of the century ideas of race and nationalism, innovative and incredibly compelling and moving story, and (of course) probably the best character that has even been in a video game. Irrational did an incredible job to create thisBy far the best game that I've ever played. Great voice acting, beautiful graphics, open combat environments that encourage creativity, commentary on turn of the century ideas of race and nationalism, innovative and incredibly compelling and moving story, and (of course) probably the best character that has even been in a video game. Irrational did an incredible job to create this masterpiece of a game. Many people are already saying GOTY, but as far as I'm concerned, I will never play a game that evoked as much emotion in me as Bioshock Infinite. Expand
  47. Apr 4, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is simply stunning. Very flexible combat with tons of powers, guns, and different enemy types make for pure adrenaline-fueled fun. The story is decisively mature, tackling racism, space & time, and the illusion of choice not only in games, but also in life. What most games are content to shy away from, Infinite embraces these topics head on. A most own, in my opinion.Bioshock Infinite is simply stunning. Very flexible combat with tons of powers, guns, and different enemy types make for pure adrenaline-fueled fun. The story is decisively mature, tackling racism, space & time, and the illusion of choice not only in games, but also in life. What most games are content to shy away from, Infinite embraces these topics head on. A most own, in my opinion. Playing on the 360 version, I did notice an inconsistent framerate almost throughout, if anything this is proof why we need a new generation of console hardware. Go for the PC version if your computer can run it. It controls great and while it is derivative of Bioshock 1, is completely unique and highly improved, and you will love the great atmosphere. Whereas Rapture from Bioshock 1 was an anarchist's utopia turned dystopia, Colombia is a theocratic dictatorship that strives for racial purification. The game has enormous detail and really respects its source materials. You feel like Colombia could be a real place. The ending is one of the best I've seen in a game, and the dialogue feels very natural, thanks to some fantastic voice acting. I love combining the powers and guns and jumping around the skylines, and just getting lost in the incredible world of Colombia. A MUST PLAY, RENTAL AT MINIMUM. Expand
  48. Apr 5, 2013
    %&$*ing haters. Let's see you do better at making something this good.
    If you wanted another Bioshock1 or 2 just go replay those. This was a great game and 1999 mode is pretty beast.
  49. Apr 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow. Simply put, wow. Definitely the best game I've played since 2000, and easily in my top 5 of all time. From beginning to end it is a visual, game play, and dramatic aspects are all amazing. The constant interaction between Booker and Elizabeth finally give a love for the characters that previous Bioshock games were lacking. On my first play through I was unprepared for the ending, and while at first it was almost a slap to the face, on my second tome through I took more time, and noticed all of the little things they did throughout the game that all made sense now, and gave me a significantly deeper appreciation for he story. Beautiful game, made even better with a second time through. As a side note, kudos to developer Irrational games for not kneeling to the multiplayer crisis that plagues gaming. More games should be this plot driven, and focusing on telling a wonderful, yet tragic story, rather than making hours and hours and hours of mindless multiplayer. Expand
  50. Apr 6, 2013
    Passed the game more races I think it's a necessity to everyone in terms of understanding the plot. Combine all the pieces of the plot. Realized that the seemingly simple plot and jokes at the beginning of the game at all, and no joke, and a huge puzzle where there is no chance and everything has a logical explanation of where millions of worlds and characters together in the worldPassed the game more races I think it's a necessity to everyone in terms of understanding the plot. Combine all the pieces of the plot. Realized that the seemingly simple plot and jokes at the beginning of the game at all, and no joke, and a huge puzzle where there is no chance and everything has a logical explanation of where millions of worlds and characters together in the world BioShock Infinite.

Again plunged the world into a utopia Columbia now with a more serious attitude to the transfer and without slack-jawed (Sorry) began collecting puzzle of this incredible story. Indeed all is not accidental, and passing for the second time more interesting (if not strange). Understood all that had not previously understood. All more or less falls into place. And I'm too young to play and was surprised the world again and again start the game and the city of Columbia as a child I was fascinated by a toy. More races thanks to the developers for such a great job, so I was amazed and TES FallOut and hope to surprise no races. Adventure in several worlds at least unofficially, to play for his bad ego, to save his daughter as though you would know and not know it. Being here and there. All this is more than decorate the passing game in the second and more races. Inspect all and see something new that had not noticed before, or that you realize that I could not understand. The plot is very hard to understand. Just epic. Such games are not enough. Go ahead and do it, not everyone can, and who can receive such laurels which were Irrational Games. Game done with incredible love, hurt important topics. Everything worked out, every detail. All this makes a huge impression, the beauty of the world changes over time, revealing his black half, the world of bright colors goes to dark tones. The world who wanted to be perfect in the end was far from it. And the religion that has the primary role in Colombia a weapon of manipulation. Discrimination, the division between rich and poor. The working class and the capitalists. Wrestling. We're changing history of Colombia. Game as I said is very similar to Dishonored, seen almost from the beginning of the game. But all the time of the devil and adventure which he had never been to, we were accompanied by Elizabeth. For me, Elizabeth became the main element of the game and I think the developers would like it and there is a sense of adventure in this Utopian little world. Incredible "live" Elizabeth takes us the whole game, and in general that protects us, and we were not the usual in games. Developers simply falling for us in it and it changes the whole game, exploring the world finds freedom. Actually a lot of what I've seen here in a different light, the main character aka Booker DeWitt think relinquish Elizabeth, as she has a greater weight and that I remembered. And the beauty of it certainly is impressive. Generally consider it the best partner, the character of women's gender, and lock with a "live" and moving the entire history of games. I think it is impossible to forget.

Verdict:

That's because of these masterpieces can be called the art of the video game industry, what perhaps may open a new covered that in the beginning it seems a joke, at the end of the main part of the adventure, what may seem to be and that which is not there. And the fact that it does not. I realized that he did not understand in the beginning. Pazl.Alleluia collected.
  51. Apr 6, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite was the best experience I have ever had in gaming. The story line was so clever, the gameplay was extremely fun, and the scenery, good Lord, it was amazing! The surrounding was so accurate to its time. Elizabeth was outstanding. She will certainly be remembered throughout the ages of gaming as the greatest female companion in my book. This game was just perfect.
  52. May 22, 2013
    Be advised: BioShock Infinite is a linear, short, 10 15 hour campaign with no multiplayer and no real additional options to attract additional playthroughs, if you think you will be able to spend hundreds of hours on this game then you will be dissapointed. I'm not saying in this as a negative aspect however, as it's neccesary. This 10 15 hour campaign, is a beautifully crafted piece ofBe advised: BioShock Infinite is a linear, short, 10 15 hour campaign with no multiplayer and no real additional options to attract additional playthroughs, if you think you will be able to spend hundreds of hours on this game then you will be dissapointed. I'm not saying in this as a negative aspect however, as it's neccesary. This 10 15 hour campaign, is a beautifully crafted piece of creative storytelling, which mixes heartwarming character development and stunningly pretty visuals, with very dark themes and serious story elements, creating a wonderfully immersive journey, which as you can see from some of these reviews, has had a real emotional effect on people.

The world of Columbia is a beautiful floating metropolis, with bright and colourful art direction to house its happy citizens, which hides a ruthless racist underbelly and cultural issues by taking an interesting spin on American history. You can see the passion that went into the fine details of this unique setting, and it was a pleasure to behold and learn about.

The characters are incredibly likable, are backed up by impeccably good voice acting to represent character development which I've never before seen in a game. It's one of few games that has pulled off having an AI companion which isn't completely annoying, and in fact she is an absolute pleasure to have around and catapults the normal lonely narrative of a singleplayer game into something that almost feels like a co-op experience. This game is the first game to successfully make me really care about its characters.

The combat itself takes a step away from the more strategic, in depth gameplay of the original game, and is a lot more chaotic, fighting more enemies in bigger areas, and feels faster paced. It offers satisfying inventiveness with the array of options available to destroy your enemies. The addition of skylines, motorized tracks that follow a rollercoaster-esque design, add a sense of verticality and childlike thrill that I never thought possible. They are incredibly smooth to use, allowing you to shoot whilst moving, eject at any location you like, and even allow you to jump between them, adding an incredible sense of acrobatics to a genre where movement is usually quite stale. The skylines are probably the most addictive gameplay feature I've seen.

The music, whilst sometimes understandbly simplistic, is beautifully arranged and fits the mood perfectly, with unique sound design and voice acting which is incredibly realisitic to the time period.

It's not the normal game elements like combat and graphics which sets this game apart from others, its the sublime, beautiful moments, which catapult this experience from the ordinary pass-time of video games, to the fantastic masterpiece that everyone is raving about. This all culminates in a mindblowing ending, which is sure to cause many manly tears to be shed.

That's not saying this game doesn't have it's flaws the level design is a little too linear, some of the skills feel uninspired, it has its fair share of bugs and minor plotholes. But these flaws don't seem to hinder the overall experience, it was only after I finished and began to analyse the game did I see these flaws, I was so immersed and connected to the story and its characters that I simply didn't notice them.

This only touches the surface on all that BioShock Infinite has to offer, there is so much detail, and so many points to discuss within this game, that couldn't be summarized in 50,000 words, let alone 5000.

From a technical aspect, I would give this game a 8/10. Thankfully though, my enjoyment isn't based on analysing a games technical aspects, but is based on the fun and happyness I feel when I first play it and based on that and that alone, this is a 10/10 for me my favourite game of all time.

I cannot thank the developers enough for creating this incredible experience, which I'm sure will stay in many gamers hearts and memories for years to come. To describe this game in 1 word: beautiful.
  53. Mar 26, 2013
    Game deserves all the praise it's getting. Some very touchy subject matter involving racism but I can appreciate how they went about it and its appropriate for the time period and how people actually thought and behaved. Will be an eye opener for many I believe. I'm about 7 hours into it myself and have enjoyed every minute. I highly recommend playing on hard difficulty as it makes it aGame deserves all the praise it's getting. Some very touchy subject matter involving racism but I can appreciate how they went about it and its appropriate for the time period and how people actually thought and behaved. Will be an eye opener for many I believe. I'm about 7 hours into it myself and have enjoyed every minute. I highly recommend playing on hard difficulty as it makes it a much more enjoyable experience and actually gives it a challenge. Expand
  54. Mar 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I got this game free with a new AMD card I bought in January but I will try to review it as if I had paid full price for it.... First off, some people have said that the graphics look dated well then it must be their PCs that are dated because with everything on Ultra it looks pretty amazing to me! As for the game itself, if you liked Bioshock 1+2 then you might have to consider that this is pretty much disjointed in comparison and is pretty much a different "license" as the story and gameplay doesn't fit in with its predecessors............One stand out feature for me is the audio. The soundtrack and the ambient sounds are second to none and I found myself giggling at some of the "remade" tracks, especially the Cyndi Lauper song at the beach (sorry for the spoiler). Being a child of the 70s/80s helps with some of the references during the course of the game.......Overall, I don't think the game is earth shattering, but the storyline and thought processes that have gone into this game will likely render it as a major Game of the Year contender commercially, and amongst gamers. I can't give it 10/10 as there are a few niggles with the AI here and there, but it's a definate and solid 9/10 in my books Expand
  55. Apr 5, 2013
    Last of the greats in this generation of gaming. I can only hope for there to be another Bioshock. I can go on about it's superb story, visuals, and gameplay; but I'm sure you've seen enough praise.
  56. Mar 30, 2013
    This game is awesome! I can't say anything about the story without spoiling it, so I won't. But the graphic is very good on PC maxed out (on i7 2600k, HD6970 2GB), while it's not Crysis 3 level, it's still pushing the UE3 to it's limits. Elizabeth's character is well written, and the dialogs you have with her throughout the game drives the story without feeling like an information dump.This game is awesome! I can't say anything about the story without spoiling it, so I won't. But the graphic is very good on PC maxed out (on i7 2600k, HD6970 2GB), while it's not Crysis 3 level, it's still pushing the UE3 to it's limits. Elizabeth's character is well written, and the dialogs you have with her throughout the game drives the story without feeling like an information dump. The combat is a step up from the Bioshock 1/2's combat, having the sky-hook rail is fun. Having the flying city as a backdrop makes the battles feel surreal. Overall, it's a must play! Expand
  57. Apr 8, 2013
    Ok, so the game play is fantastic, i think we can all agree on that. The addition of Elizabeth to the combat system really kept things going at a nice pace, opening tears, deciding to open a cover tear or a turret tear, giving you the option of healing yourself or replenishing your plasmids (salts) on your own or letting Elizabeth do it for you. Overall, the aiming and shooting mechanicOk, so the game play is fantastic, i think we can all agree on that. The addition of Elizabeth to the combat system really kept things going at a nice pace, opening tears, deciding to open a cover tear or a turret tear, giving you the option of healing yourself or replenishing your plasmids (salts) on your own or letting Elizabeth do it for you. Overall, the aiming and shooting mechanic where spot on, so where the new plasmids introduced like the crows and water tentacle. Being able to carry only 2 weapons at a time was bothersome at first, until i found my ideal set up and just leveled them up. The skylines were great fun too, however i feel that they were not used to their fullest potential. Only real problem i had with it was that it was WAY to linear in comparison to older entries in the series. But yeah, over all, fantastic game play, best in the series by far.
    Presentation, the game looks stunning, really, even on my mid range PC, running this on very high it felt like a dream. It looks amazingly good. So much detail was put into everything you just have to stop and look at everything the game has to offer. Elizabeth is beautiful by the way, this goes without saying. The amount of love and care put into her character is very noticeable, from her facial expressions to the way she moves, she feels like straight out of a Pixar movie (An adult rated one mind you).
    Music, while not the best in the series (mainly due to the fact that the soundtrack is TOO SHORT), still offers up enough to satisfy my tastes. And what it lacks in quantity it sure makes up for in quality. BOY are there some fine pieces of music in this game: From classic-style versions of "new" songs to frenetic violin and strings in combat. Voice acting is top notch, i have talked a lot bout Elizabeth so far, but the main hero, who you play as, Booker Dewyt, was performed FANTASTICLY by the great Troy Baker, who has become an icon in the voice acting business by now. Everyone else were great as well, not a single voice feels out of place in the world of Columbia.
    Finaly, the story. OH BOY OH BOY. A fantastic narrative that was presented through great exposition without shoving too much info down your throat. Through the environments and character, it weaves an emotional tale without ever resorting to cut scenes or having to leave the perspective of Booker. Although i must admit, i hated the ending at first. It all felt like it was coming down to an amazing climax that left me not only sad but confused. This was partially my fault however, since i powered through the game in about 8 hours without paying too much attention to the story. However, after playing it a second time, paying close attention to the story and the world around me, i finaly understood the ending which i will not spoil, but DAMN, WATCH AFTER THE CREDITS PEOPLE, ITS WORTH IT. That being said, the tale that Irrational games have put together is breathtakingly good. Really, once i understood what the was going on by my second play through, i fell in love with it. The best advice i could give you is to not power through the game like i did, take your time, examine your surroundings, pay close attention to what is being said and you will really come to appreciate this fine work of art that is Bioshock Infinite. There are some problems, like the fact that its WAY too linear, short (if you power through it like i did) and confusing if you're not paying attention. But these are MINOR complaints, and this game deserves nothing less than a perfect score from me. 10/10
  58. Apr 5, 2013
    I know my opinion doesn't really matter and that I am probably "beating on a dead horse" here, but I cannot rest until I post my opinion of this masterpiece called Bioshock Infinite. I'd post it before, but I was too busy so far playing the game and trophy hunting. Anyway, if you trouble yourself checking out my other reviews for other games, you'll notice two things: 1) this isn't aI know my opinion doesn't really matter and that I am probably "beating on a dead horse" here, but I cannot rest until I post my opinion of this masterpiece called Bioshock Infinite. I'd post it before, but I was too busy so far playing the game and trophy hunting. Anyway, if you trouble yourself checking out my other reviews for other games, you'll notice two things: 1) this isn't a puppet account, created for the sole purpose of inflating the score of a certain game, and 2) the game has to be darn good for me to give it a high score. That said, consider my score truly genuine: Bioshock Infinite REALLY kicks posteriors. The storyline, the gameplay, the voice acting, the graphics... I mean, absolutely everything in this game is amazing. I ain't gonna write loads about it, I'm just gonna say: get this game if you can, or live to regret it if you don't. Ken Levine, Irrational & company: please keep the amazing stuff coming! Oh, and haters? Would you kindly go get stepped on by a Bid Daddy? Thanks. (I know the preceding sentence is BS1 reference, but meh... it fits the purpose). EDIT: (just had to do this...) Are you a Duke? Or a Dimwit? When a really good game comes out, Duke stands up and happily applaud the people who went through so much trouble to make it. As for Dimwit, he just says: "Meh... the graphics look rubbish on my $200 laptop, and it doesn't play like CoD!". Remember boys and girls, don't be a Dimwit!" Expand
  59. May 5, 2013
    I would give this game a 10 for plot and emotional impact, but I have to take off a point for gratuitous violence and the extremely annoying display of the 2K brand each time you play. The plot is more sophisticated than any other game I've played and the lead NPC is more engaging than I've previously experienced. If you don't mind fountains of blood and some extremely hectic moments, thisI would give this game a 10 for plot and emotional impact, but I have to take off a point for gratuitous violence and the extremely annoying display of the 2K brand each time you play. The plot is more sophisticated than any other game I've played and the lead NPC is more engaging than I've previously experienced. If you don't mind fountains of blood and some extremely hectic moments, this game will sharpen your reactions and stretch your ability to improvise under pressure. Most people will finish with the question "What just happened?" Fortunately, there is a good explanation available online for those who struggle to comprehend, as I did. I have to ask, why waste so much talent on an environment and story, only to pitch this adventure to the lowest common denominator of blood-and-guts adolescents? Expand
  60. Apr 7, 2013
    As it always happens with this franchise, the new bioshock title is a must have. The story is intelligent and full of impresive twists, the graphics are great and the flawless music is probably going to recieve a lot of awards. I won't give it a 10 however, because of its reduced duration, and because, while fantastic, it's not as brilliant as the first one.
  61. Apr 2, 2013
    I feel like it'd be a little pointless to go into detail about why this game is so good as there are already hundreds of other reviews saying the same thing. It's a really fun steampunk adventure with a nice combat system that's easy to control yet tough to master, takes place in one of the most imaginative locations I've ever seen in a game, and it's all tied together with a surprisinglyI feel like it'd be a little pointless to go into detail about why this game is so good as there are already hundreds of other reviews saying the same thing. It's a really fun steampunk adventure with a nice combat system that's easy to control yet tough to master, takes place in one of the most imaginative locations I've ever seen in a game, and it's all tied together with a surprisingly deep plot that warrents a second or even a third playthrough to fully grasp. I've played it twice and was surprised how much I picked up on that I didn't notice the first time. It's an incredible game. However there are a few crtiticisms I have for it, nothing that really hinders the experience but things that could have made it even better. The weapon upgrades are shallow compared to bio 1 and 2, most of them are either minor damage or clip size upgrades, would have liked to see more variation in that department. Also I don't like how in bioshock games, dying doesn't really have any penalty beyond respawning out of the battle area. They did add a few penalties such as enemies getting some of their health back, but overall I would have preferred they scrapped this idea for the sake of a more balanced health system. Lastly and most importantly, I really would have liked to see them do more with the boys of silence, they only show up in one section toward the end and their role seemed pretty underdeveloped. But beyond those things I highly recommend this game. Expand
  62. Apr 10, 2013
    Combat was alright. Choices didn't really matter. BUT THE STORY IS SOOOO GOOD. Play this game. It is like a long movie that really is worth GOTY. Buy this game now.
  63. Mar 26, 2013
    This game is a lot of fun to play. Quite a few moments where you feel horrible for the people in this place, all the hate and racism, but it is a story worth hearing. I really liked the new "plasmids" or should I say, Vigors, the bottles they come in are detailed and cool, and the abilities offer a more streamlined approach. Weapons are standard, not much there. The girl companion isThis game is a lot of fun to play. Quite a few moments where you feel horrible for the people in this place, all the hate and racism, but it is a story worth hearing. I really liked the new "plasmids" or should I say, Vigors, the bottles they come in are detailed and cool, and the abilities offer a more streamlined approach. Weapons are standard, not much there. The girl companion is very useful, tossing you ammo or health just at the right time, showing you things you may have missed, and not getting in your way. PC is the way to play this game, console graphics are kind of slop in places. 9/10 for this one, it's not Bioshock 1 that everyone compares it to, but it is a very well put together game with a great story and main characters. Worth the buy imo. Expand
  64. Mar 26, 2013
    Ignore all the negative reviews. Any person that has any appreciation for a good story, incredible visuals, engaging characters, intense gameplay and impressive soundtracks will love this game. Please buy it.
  65. Apr 8, 2013
    This game was brilliant. All the gripes I had with it were so inconsequential, and whenever they came into my head another awesome sky-line battle scene came along and I forgot all about them. I'll start with the pros.

Graphics: Stunning. Nothing more to say. 10/10 Story: Amazing, with a really shocking twist that I never saw coming, and great pacing, with a lengthy denouement that

Graphics: Stunning. Nothing more to say. 10/10

Story: Amazing, with a really shocking twist that I never saw coming, and great pacing, with a lengthy denouement that summed up everything really well. One or two plot holes that I noticed, and a couple of things that didn't quite add up for me, but I'm sure they were things that were explained in voxophones that I may have missed during my playthrough. The way they build up mystery is fantastic, and there is a lot of symbolism and deeper meaning that really added an extra dimension to the game. They don't treat you like a moron with the storyline, they don't spell it out for you, if you want to flesh it out you have to search for all the voxophones yourself and really pay attention to fully understand what's happening. 9.5/10

Other gameplay: The exploration was great. They don't give you too much money, which is good, because it means you pretty much have to choose between vigor upgrades or weapon upgrades. I found the lockpicking thing a bit arbitrary, by the end of the game I had about 30 lockpicks in my inventory which I never needed. But there is loads of extra detail for those who choose to explore and find it, I think a few more optional sidequests would have been good.
    Atmosphere: Fantastic, there is something definitely sinister about Columbia. The areas are really varied, there's Battleship Bay, all idyllic and peaceful, and then Comstock House, which is really creepy and actually quite scary in places, everything builds up to great atmosphere and immersion, especially with the great AI of Elizabeth and all the general public of Columbia. 10/10

Combat: Again, amazing, inventive and varied enemies, something that I didn't really like with the previous Bioshock games, the vigors are really well integrated and I found myself using pretty much all of them (except for undertow) and the vigor combos as well. There is a nice selection of guns, I was a little put out at first to find that you can't carry more than 2 but retrospectively, I think it's better that way. The sky lines are freaking amazing, and the sky line strike is one of the most satisfying things in a game, up there with the drop-down kill in Dishonored. Elizabeth is also a really neat addition to combat, giving you health, salts and ammo when you most need it.

Soundtrack: Nothing spectacular, but it does its job.

Overall: Amazing. Definitely recommend. If you enjoyed the 1st and 2nd Bioshock, you'll enjoy this. Don't be surprised when it gets nominated for and probably chosen as GOTY. Just.. Buy it.
  66. Mar 27, 2013
    To all the zeroes, I can understand your take on the game, but that isn't this game's purpose. It is supposed to be mostly linear because it is so story driven. Bioshock has always been really linear except for the few different endings in the earlier titles. Yes it's very linear, Is the story absolutely fantastic, also yes. Gameplay is great and art direction is amazing. so overall if youTo all the zeroes, I can understand your take on the game, but that isn't this game's purpose. It is supposed to be mostly linear because it is so story driven. Bioshock has always been really linear except for the few different endings in the earlier titles. Yes it's very linear, Is the story absolutely fantastic, also yes. Gameplay is great and art direction is amazing. so overall if you are looking for a moving story that will most likely drop your jaw then I recommend this game, if not then its not for you. Also the ending is quite complicated so if you didn't understand look it up there is a lot of confusion :P. Original was still better though. Expand
  67. Mar 31, 2013
    It's indeed an amazing game. Beatifull graphics, good gameplay and mindblowing history. Those who are complainning here just didn't play it until the end or just don't have a computer good enough to apreciate the graphics. I just hope it gets some cool DLCs, otherwise I'd downgrade this to 9. I even saw some people comparing this to other multiplayer shooters, this is not one. It's perfectIt's indeed an amazing game. Beatifull graphics, good gameplay and mindblowing history. Those who are complainning here just didn't play it until the end or just don't have a computer good enough to apreciate the graphics. I just hope it gets some cool DLCs, otherwise I'd downgrade this to 9. I even saw some people comparing this to other multiplayer shooters, this is not one. It's perfect for its genre. I apologize for my bad English.

In Brazilian Portuguese:

Cara, o jogo muito foda. O gráfico animal, a jogabilidade muito boa e a história daquelas que quando tu zerar o jogo, não vai mais saber o que fazer da vida. Depois de zerado não sobra muito pra fazer com ele, mas esperaremos que os DLCs sejam bons. Vale cada centavo.
  68. Apr 5, 2013
    This game is a modern day masterpiece. Irrational have done a brilliant job bringing Columbia to life in incredible detail. It has a deep story which requires you to pay attention throughout the game. Combat is enjoyable, with skylines adding a fun element. Do yourself a favour and play this on hard the first time. Normal is a bit too easy so you don't have think so much about whichThis game is a modern day masterpiece. Irrational have done a brilliant job bringing Columbia to life in incredible detail. It has a deep story which requires you to pay attention throughout the game. Combat is enjoyable, with skylines adding a fun element. Do yourself a favour and play this on hard the first time. Normal is a bit too easy so you don't have think so much about which vigors and weapons to use, and you could find yourself playing through the game too quickly and miss some of the finer details. I am finding the second play through on 1999 mode even more enjoyable. The only thing I think could have been better is the weapon upgrades. Bioshock's weapon upgrades were much more interesting and affected the look of the weapons. Expand
  69. Apr 6, 2013
    Irrational Games brought this generation of gaming to me with the original Bioshock. That game made me stand up and take note. It made me stand up and realize that video games can be as immersive, even more so than any other medium and that they are a perfect vehicle for involving stories. This new title, Bioshock Infinite has made me sit back down again; so that I could bask in itsIrrational Games brought this generation of gaming to me with the original Bioshock. That game made me stand up and take note. It made me stand up and realize that video games can be as immersive, even more so than any other medium and that they are a perfect vehicle for involving stories. This new title, Bioshock Infinite has made me sit back down again; so that I could bask in its achievements.

Graphically, this game has the occasional matte texture but when compared to something like the paper tres of Skyrim, Columbia is beautiful. It looks beautiful, it sounds beautiful and just feels fully realised. The shooting mechanics are decent. The skylines and vigors mix things up enough so as the 11 or so hours of the campaign never feel monotonous.

In this game, you are Booker DeWitt and the relationship between Booker and Elizabeth underpins a phenomenal sci fi tale that beats inception at its own game. I'm not going to ruin the story because to experience it in any way other than for yourself is a crime. What I will say is, that last line. Wow.

I had guessed all the twists and the ending before halfway. That didn't stop me enjoying the plot. In fact, realising what's going on means you can understand more and process quicker when these twists are actually revealed so that you can piece this puzzle together more efficiently. I could talk for days about this game and its story, but you shouldn't be reading this, you should be playing Bioshock Infinite.
  70. Apr 6, 2013
    This game is close to perfect. Firstly, I do not play FPS games. It's never been my style, but all the hype this game built up drew me to it.

It amazes me that people are able to give this game anything less than a 9, the only reason I could fathom this is if these individuals are too mentally limited to understand the story, somehow appalled by the 1910-1920's setting and music (Is absolutely amazing for anyone at all historically cultured), is too mentally simplistic to understand the marvelous parody of American Exceptionalism and religious cults, or was expecting a hardcore bloody slaughter fest FPS (clearly does not play nor understand the first Bioshocks).

The game play is beautiful. Switching from a beautiful sky city to the slums of a factory, the game truly provides stimulus for a visual orgasm.

The characters are deep, interesting, and easy to get emotionally attached to.

The game play is smooth and very simple, even for first-time FPS gamers, like myself. The true diamond of the game is Elisabeth, as a non-combat co-character she may well be the best sidekick in history. Not only is is amazingly realistic, interesting, lovable, and fun story-wise she's also intelligent and useful in combat situations without ever getting in the way I at unlike sidekicks in other games. The game is worth playing just for the sole purpose of experiencing the marvel that is Elisabeth.
  71. Apr 8, 2013
    One of those games, which leave you with feeling of hunger for more. Playing this game was a wonderful experience, what can be compared to reading a fascinating book.

It is beautiful, it is thrilling, the characters are deep, the plot is brilliant. One of the best games I have ever played.

I am deeply thankful for authors of this game for taking me on this adventure.
  72. Apr 8, 2013
    All I can say about this game is that it is absolutely great. It has an amazing story, decent fights, some ingenious gameplay aspects and an incredible AI companion. If you haven't played this yet then you really should!
  73. Aug 16, 2013
    BioShock Infinite definitely meets it's hype. It has one of the best stories I have ever read, played, or heard, the way it drops all the hits through out the game but don't really understand it till the very end which makes the end feel satisfying. The environment/atmosphere is outstanding. The characters are very interesting, seeing Elizabeth, with a kind heart explore the world beingBioShock Infinite definitely meets it's hype. It has one of the best stories I have ever read, played, or heard, the way it drops all the hits through out the game but don't really understand it till the very end which makes the end feel satisfying. The environment/atmosphere is outstanding. The characters are very interesting, seeing Elizabeth, with a kind heart explore the world being fascinated at everything really makes her a lovable character to the main villain who you will grow to hate more and more. The game play is very fun! I love the fact that you can shoot one vigor and then a different one to make a more powerful effect. The only downside is that most of the combat that I face, I feel way to over powered, at a certain point in the game all i really have to do is use crow vigor once and it spreads, everyone is dead by the time I fire a shot, all the other times i have no sense of trying to take cover or watch my ammo since Elizabeth gives you everything if you are low mid combat, which allows me to go guns blazing (This is on normal difficulty). Although I feel over powered, that's not saying that being over powered isn't fun. It is lots of fun! watching your enemies get eaten by flaming crows is pretty awesome! Overall I would actually give this game a 9.8 Expand
  74. Mar 29, 2013
    This game is absolutely incredible. The story, the voice acting, the character development is all there. The animation and visuals in general are a work of beauty, although I will say that the foliage doesn't look so pretty up close, but it's a nice effect from a distance. This game is all about atmosphere. You feel like you are part of this world. The combat I feel has been vastlyThis game is absolutely incredible. The story, the voice acting, the character development is all there. The animation and visuals in general are a work of beauty, although I will say that the foliage doesn't look so pretty up close, but it's a nice effect from a distance. This game is all about atmosphere. You feel like you are part of this world. The combat I feel has been vastly improved from the previous games, and the UI is much simpler and more accessible. Expand
  75. Apr 5, 2013
    wow. just wow. video game as art? look no further. this is as close to art as you'll see

the last hurrah of the old consoles--they couldnt ask for a better send off
  76. Apr 4, 2013
    B-R-U-T-A-L

Así, con mayúsculas y guiones... El uno me encanto, el dos me enamoro y esta ya... pues me ha violado. La duración, no es excesivamente largo, pero tampoco es corto, me ha durado lo suyo dándole caña. La ambientación fantásticamente exagerada. Como ya nos traía Rapture, Columbia es la megalomanía llevada al limite de forma magistral. (ojo a según que paisajes, de gozo)
    B-R-U-T-A-L

Los gráficos lucen bastante bien en una configuración media-alta (teniendo en cuenta las características de mi portátil) sin sombras dinámicas, mención especial para las visiones de la ciudad en su esplendor, fantástico.
    Casi siempre superando los treinta con holgura excepto casos sangrantes de bajada de FPSs sin razón aparente (pocos pero existentes)... El resto perfecto.

A nivel de jugabilidad... Bueno, no añade demasiado; quizás habría que hablar de los Aero railes, interesante pero no va muy allá. Mantiene el nivel de los anteriores, osease, alto.

Música, pues al son de la ambientación, a medida.

La Historia merece un aparte. Interesante, enrevesada... Me he sorprendido muy gratamente. Le he cogido cariño a Elisabeth, "mira per on".
  77. Apr 8, 2013
    If this game doesnt wins the GOTY, those who dont pick this should be repeatedly punched in the balls with an ACME brick!

Well, all fooling around, this game truly deserves the place its getting, an exquisite story taking place in a breathtaking scenario called Columbia, which totally broke the taboo that said that Bioshock needed Rapture, Little Sisters and Big Daddies to survive, here there's no such thing (...maaaybe?)
    Another taboo that this game broke was that the companion character could most of the time be a pain in the ass and a truly heavy burden that needs babysitting even to go to the bathroom....Elizabeth is a lovely character that you can really get to love to death who will NOT get in your way during the fighting unlike others *coughcoughAshleyRE4coughcough*
    I have to say that i had my doubts at first about this 3rd Bioshock game with its whole new twist about taking its plot into the air (literally) and taking away or modifying the main points that made the others so memorable....and all that time that it took to see the light, but still it managed to bring a whole new story with all sorts twists and challenges that can easily make me say that just like Bioshock 2 surpassed the first, Infinite surpassed B2
    You cant really miss this game if you like thrilling stories that will keep you at the border of your chair, sofa, or any place where you are when playing games,
    Any people hating on this game is either mentally retarded or is just a Call of Duty/Gears of War/Halo that needs to get a brain surgery to be able notice the difference between the true beauty of video games and just mindless trigger pulling
    The only downside of this game is that certain weapons, VIGORS and items were greatly underpowered and made you feel not too interested in experimenting with them, even with their upgrades, but i hope that in later updates or even DLCs they fix that....even though im not too much of a fan of DLCs im quite excited to see what else this aswesome game brings
  78. Apr 6, 2013
    Absolute triumph of smart and deep storytelling, which is beatifully, masterfully made and pure fun to play... seems like candidate for game of the decade!
  79. Apr 1, 2013
    I made a mistake. I originally gave this a 6/10. What a mistake. I apologise to all concerned.
    Engaging central characters, and a flawlessly constructed world make this a thrilling game to play.
    What lets it down slightly is the less than exciting special skills, the fact that you can only carry 2 guns at a time, and the 2 dimensional NPC'S. The storyline also teeters on the edge of falling into philosophical babble, but all this is small detail and in no way detracts from the overall scope and vision of this game.
    Having played through this title twice now, It gave me the same thrill as playing the original Bioshock, but by the end Bioshock infinite comes out on top.
    Really this is an 8.5/10 game
  80. Apr 5, 2013
    The game is amazing. That's about all I have to say, play it or don't, but do yourself a favor and play it. (on pc)
  81. Apr 6, 2013
    I absolutely loved this game, up until the bosses. Why do you have to f_ck up a game with boring clichés? Level-boss-level-boss... So damn obtuse and narrow-minded. I played it on hard and it was really easy, but for the bosses. They made the same mistake as Deus Ex HR did. You can finish the game mostly with using your head and without superfluous button smashing, then the bosses try toI absolutely loved this game, up until the bosses. Why do you have to f_ck up a game with boring clichés? Level-boss-level-boss... So damn obtuse and narrow-minded. I played it on hard and it was really easy, but for the bosses. They made the same mistake as Deus Ex HR did. You can finish the game mostly with using your head and without superfluous button smashing, then the bosses try to compensate. I replayed Bioshock 1-2 not to long time ago and I can't remember hating boss-fights (yes there were too) as much as here. In Infinite it didn't work, after a few tries I switched to easy to get on with it... Nothing kept me there. In Dishonored there were no bosses and I loved it for that.
    I enjoyed it in every other aspect (except the erroneous collision zones... and the "you jump 2m high, than get blocked by a pile of rugs..."). One other thing I hated is the checkpoint system. Bioshock was a pc game. Why did they have screw BI with the hated console shame, the checkpoint. You lose up to 10-15 minutes of advancement if you have to stop and reload later. The spreading console virus on the pc is a shame...

The story was very good except some forced elements like racism. I expected it to go somewhere, to say something, but in the end it was just as the glow on the textures trying to hide the low-poly models (that I don't mind if the game is good). I never felt anything forced or made up in Bioshock 1.
    This year we started up to this point with 2 "almost got there" games (TR & Bioshock Inf). Both very good, enjoyable games, but not perfect ones. Mind you I've listed mostly the stuff I didn't like, every thing else was great! It would cost me a few hours to list the elements I liked/loved. It is a very good game, but in the end it left me with a bad taste in the mouth it could HAVE BEEN so GREAT!
  82. Mar 26, 2013
    There is no denying Bioshock Infinite is a great experience. The world of Columbia is amazing and is so immersive that you do feel as if you are there, and you know what's going on. The story is brilliant and overflowing with subtle undertones that impact the player. The way it is told is also brilliant and makes you feel like part of the story. This game has all these aspects perfected,There is no denying Bioshock Infinite is a great experience. The world of Columbia is amazing and is so immersive that you do feel as if you are there, and you know what's going on. The story is brilliant and overflowing with subtle undertones that impact the player. The way it is told is also brilliant and makes you feel like part of the story. This game has all these aspects perfected, but one flaw is in the gunplay. The gunplay is rather lackluster and easy. Although vigors give it a twist the gunplay still manages to be dull. This is a brilliant game, but I would not say it is a brilliant shooter. Still a masterpiece. Expand
  83. Mar 29, 2013
    At a glance 'infinite' is a compelling struggle between two diametrical opposites, but delve into the world of Colombia and you will find that there is something much bigger driving this story. Fail to pick this gem up and miss out on one of the generation, you simply NEED to experience this story. Gameplay: it stands head and shoulders above its fps counterparts. The diversity of enemiesAt a glance 'infinite' is a compelling struggle between two diametrical opposites, but delve into the world of Colombia and you will find that there is something much bigger driving this story. Fail to pick this gem up and miss out on one of the generation, you simply NEED to experience this story. Gameplay: it stands head and shoulders above its fps counterparts. The diversity of enemies will keep you on your toes and force you to constantly transform your strategy. Motorised patriots will have you dashing for cover, boys of silence will force you to creep silently by in the shadows, sirens will surround you with armies of dead soldiers, the fire-men of 'infinite' are not protectors but devious arsonists and as for the handy man, you are in for a fight to rival the big daddies of the original 'bioshock'. The scenery is breathtaking, the atmosphere invigorating. Battles take place on gigantic scales, engaging in flying and ground units simultaneously while zipping along on skylines. Now all that said I did encounter a few problems with this game and I think it is out done by the original in a few gameplay elements. My biggest issue was something that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else, so by no mean allow my limitation to become your limitation, but I really did find the audio frustrating throughout the game. The voice acting and music itself is excellent but a design choice has been implemented which throughout the game broke my immersion in the city of colombia. Here it is: when something or someone is speaking or playing music or whatever, you can hear them from a great distance by looking straight at them, turn to your right and you can no longer here it, thats fine; however the same thing happens even if your standing right next to the person/object, and its only when you turn to the right side! For example you are standing in front of Elizabeth who is talking to you, you can hear her, you turn to your left, you can still hear her, you turn to face the opposite direction, you can still hear her, turn left again (so you are facing right of her) and SILENCE! Now why is this a problem?? Well half the time I'm running along and I hear someone start talking but I don't know where they are but as I'm turning around (and to the right) I can't hear them, and I want to hear them because the dialogue is so GOOD! I don't want to miss out. Sometimes I won't even have realised Elizabeth said anything. There was even a cut scene with the song bird and Elizabeth when I couldn't hear what she was saying! (And don't say turn it up, because it was and its SILENT). I turned subtitles on, so at least I didn't miss anything. But its also really annoying with music, for example, I'm listening to a nice tune from a radio, but as I'm walking around the room, it keeps going silent when I'm facing to the right of it, even if I'm right next to it! I understand the idea behind this, you only hear stuff your focused on (and therefore looking at). But for me this continually broke the immersion, because I want to hear the music and people as I walk around. But the main thing is not hearing the voices. It was weird, I didn't like it, Nobody else seems to have trouble with this so good for you but I'm just saying for me it broke immersion on a number of occasions. The other problems I had was with the weapons interface. Only two guns at a time, seriously? Again this works really well on certain occasions so I can see why they did this; for instance when you are in a big open area, you use Elizabeth to open tears, then ride the rails to get guns, so your constantly moving around and changing weapons. But here is the problem. The environment of 'Infinite' requires very different weapon types. For instance, I found that I usually always needed, at least one long range weapon, a medium/close weapon. But as you are encountering a lot of heavy units; I found myself sticking with either RPG or grenade launcher for most the game. The problem is its very hard to hit an enemy above you on a gunship with an RPG, but I can't carry a sniper rifle and an RPG, cause I'd run out of ammo for close quarters; so basically i have to go with the machine gun or the burst gun, cause they can do a bit of both. But the machine gun still fails over long distance. Also what is the point of having a pistol in the game then? Never used it after the first level, even though it was a good pistol. SO carry unlimited guns next time, no more of this COD two weapon rubbish! Furthermore the guns did not special ammo and crafting unlike the original bioshock, no exploding bullets The uprgrades system was worse in my opinion as it is all money based and the upgrades are not visible on your gun. Also could not scroll through more than two vigors at a time WTF! Also vigors my opinon ordinary, no telekinesis Sorry to spend so much of the review whining, because this is one of my favourite games of the generation. But I don't want to spoil story. I loved this game! Expand
  84. Fix
    Apr 21, 2013
    I was blown away by how this game pulled me in. I don't usually care about the story in video games, but this one really had me. The music in the game is awesome. I wonder how much they had to pay for all of those music rights. This is the best game I've played since Skyrim.
  85. Oct 17, 2014
    Bioshock Infinite is a lovely game. Art direction, graphics and sound are superb. Made me think of Singularity and Dishonored at times. A beautiful first person shooter, and a must-have.
  86. Apr 25, 2013
    Just finished. Amazing game. Kept me hooked beginning to end, did not want to do anything else. So many details that were cool and unique and found nowhere else. The story is incredible and this is the first game I've bought in a while that I actually felt deserved my money. One thing I will say is the fighting tended to get repetitive with the shoot this guy, search that garbage canJust finished. Amazing game. Kept me hooked beginning to end, did not want to do anything else. So many details that were cool and unique and found nowhere else. The story is incredible and this is the first game I've bought in a while that I actually felt deserved my money. One thing I will say is the fighting tended to get repetitive with the shoot this guy, search that garbage can for ammo, shoot that guy, search some corpses for a sandwich, etc. I've never seen so much money just strewn about and thrown away anywhere. If there had to be a flaw, it would be the search-system. Not sure how one would fix that, but it is what it is. Doesn't detract from the game though. LOVES me that hand cannon. Expand
  87. Jul 13, 2013
    Yes, sometimes you know a game will be good before you even play it. But you still have no idea just how good this game is. This game will touch you...
  88. Mar 31, 2013
    This game is a worthy successor to the fantastic original Bioshock. Not only does it have one of the best stories ever told in one of gaming's most incredible settings, it has some of the most original and fun gameplay as well. This is the greatest game to come out in the last few years and the greatest first person shooter since the original Bioshock. A must-play game.
  89. Nov 9, 2013
    I do agree with Bioshock: Infinite being somewhat overrated, but that doesn't stop me from loving this game.

After about a year, I am ready for my review on here. I will try to keep it shorter, for everybody's sake! Bioshock takes place in an insanely beautiful place. Columbia, the city in the clouds! As a PC gamer, the numerous visual options blew me away, and I had fun fiddling

Bioshock takes place in an insanely beautiful place. Columbia, the city in the clouds! As a PC gamer, the numerous visual options blew me away, and I had fun fiddling with them. When applied, the game's setting, powered by DirectX11/Uneal Engine, is ludicrously hypnotic in its beauty. I will often find myself walking around just to marvel at the detail and explore. Because, you do have free reign to explore plenty of times! With hidden items, secret areas, and meaningful collectables waiting to reward you for exploring. The story definitely takes you on a ride, with great gunplay, powers, and upgrades to help you along this game, which is awesomely similiar to a RPG without going too far into RPG territory. I admit, the game can be a bit annoying at times, especially the Handyman enemies, and some of them can soak up bullets like no tomorrow! The places where you fight said enemies tend to be a bit linear at times, but I always felt that because a game is linear doesn't mean it's bad. Bioshock: Infinite does manage to have side quests or hidden goodies to make exploration of these somewhat linear areas meaningful! I'll take that over something like Battlefield 3's campaign, which was linear but didn't have meaningful exploration!

Bioshock: Infinite is amazing, but it isn't perfect. It's truly above average, at least to me, and this is one epic story you will not want to miss!
  90. Nov 17, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is amazing, just utterly amazing. The first sky hook execution put a smile on my face from ear to ear after which I never stopped smiling through the entire game. With the sky hook comes the sky rail which turns you into a living roller coaster from which you can attack enemies on the move. It provides an amazing combination of fast-paced action along with the rush ofBioShock Infinite is amazing, just utterly amazing. The first sky hook execution put a smile on my face from ear to ear after which I never stopped smiling through the entire game. With the sky hook comes the sky rail which turns you into a living roller coaster from which you can attack enemies on the move. It provides an amazing combination of fast-paced action along with the rush of riding a roller coaster.

The story is incredible although it really has nothing to do with the original Rapture storyline so it doesn't necessarily fit the BioShock series. Although because it is such a great game which sticks to the original BioShock style game play, it is nice to know that the BioShock series was not tarnished. One can honestly say the BioShock trilogy is one of the best of all time.

Future games need to take notes on how to implement a sidekick. Any girl that gives me money is ok in my book and Elizabeth is a sweetheart to boot. She never gets in the way. She's never commanding or condescending. And she even helps you out by pointing out items like lock picks and voxophones. I actually developed a sense of trust in her. She was not only useful, but made me feel welcome in the process.

Easily the best game I've played this year.
  91. Apr 16, 2013
    The original was an incredible game and truly groundbreaking in the first person shooter market. The original created Rapture, Atlas, Jack, and Andrew Ryan and it spent hours upon hours of truly picking into their every crevice. This game never feels like it develops as deep as the original, but I think it may be because of the massive scope of theology, ideology, and Scientific theoryThe original was an incredible game and truly groundbreaking in the first person shooter market. The original created Rapture, Atlas, Jack, and Andrew Ryan and it spent hours upon hours of truly picking into their every crevice. This game never feels like it develops as deep as the original, but I think it may be because of the massive scope of theology, ideology, and Scientific theory that is is trying to delve into. If all you are looking for is a CoD or Battlefield clone, this is not that game. The shooting isn't its best feature, the skyline doesn't quite work that great on consoles, and it wasn't until late in the game that I felt like using Vigors. Although Bucking Bronco and Undertow are incredible fun to play with. I cannot remember another game I have ever played that asked such deep questions, or left me sitting in the chair just taking a deep breath and trying to understan the scale of everything I just saw. Sure, there are times that it became a little convoluted, and if you want you can claim you saw it coming. You didn't see all of it coming, but believe whatever you want. I have just never played a game that had such real world social commentary, and asked made you think so deeply. The spectacle that is the end can be seen based on how polarized it has left many of the reviews. I think the problem is that people are trying to say, they have already seen this kind of stuff in books, or expected it to have RPG elements or some random other aspects that were never meant to be in the game. Anyways, my point is while books and film have had the same elements, this is the first game I have ever seen to push the genre further and it was refreshing. I look forward to anything else Ken Levine can come up with as this was a truly amazing experience and I could not put it down from the second I picked it up. It did not do very much to make itself better than Bioshock 1, however Bioshock 1 was perfect, so I don't know how it could have.

I just have to add this, why exactly does this game have to give you free roam? Why should it be open world, why should it have open ended decisions that massively change the story? Why are you expecting this game to be exactly like other games? Also, if you are down voting this game based on graphics, please leave. If someone reviews games based on looking pretty, I doubt they understood this game anyways. Ken Levine wanted to make films, that is why he moved to California. So, this game was never really designed to be the best shooter on the market. It basically is there to tell a very deep and intense story and the best format for telling said story is through a first person medium.
  92. Mar 30, 2013
    Felt like I was playing an Disney Pixar movie at times. Plot is mind bending but seems legit. It was a huge improvement over first two Bioshocks. The world is fun and colorful as opposed to claustrophobic and dark.
  93. Apr 17, 2013
    Even if you stripped away the story, characters, art direction, voice acting, and music this would still be a good game. But with all those elements, this game is amazing. The art direction and detail in certain areas of the game is jaw dropping. There is much imagination at work in this game, both with gameplay and story. To say more about how good the story and characters are wouldEven if you stripped away the story, characters, art direction, voice acting, and music this would still be a good game. But with all those elements, this game is amazing. The art direction and detail in certain areas of the game is jaw dropping. There is much imagination at work in this game, both with gameplay and story. To say more about how good the story and characters are would venture into spoiler territory. This is a worthy sequel to the original Bioshock. Not only worthy, but better. Expand
  94. Mar 30, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is a gaming treasure that I implore anyone to check out. Excellent storytelling matched with a unique feeling of belonging. The period of alternate 1920 also adds a unique spin on modern American politics.
  95. Apr 2, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a great game, but certainly not a perfect one. The ambiance and the plot are good enough to keep you playing even when combat is getting repetitive and sometimes annoying. Because yes, the lack of variety and originality in the new plasmids (oups, tonics) and the dull guns (a sh*tload of boring shotguns for 4 or 5 interesting weapons) are making the gunfights a bitBioshock Infinite is a great game, but certainly not a perfect one. The ambiance and the plot are good enough to keep you playing even when combat is getting repetitive and sometimes annoying. Because yes, the lack of variety and originality in the new plasmids (oups, tonics) and the dull guns (a sh*tload of boring shotguns for 4 or 5 interesting weapons) are making the gunfights a bit weak, even if it's way more dynamic than in the first bioshock games. But don't get me wrong, this game is great, you get to discover the incredible universe of Columbia with pleasure and Elizabeth is a great addition to the game, her presence isn't annoying at all. The only real problem with this game is the fact that you pay sixty bucks for about 14-16 hours of gameplay. You should wait for the Steam summer deals, but it's definitely a buy, don't pirate it! Expand
  96. Mar 29, 2013
  97. Aug 26, 2013
    Very good game but the lack of fun is what keeps it from being a classic. I don’t think I can really complain about anything but the inventory system and searching ever dead body (I HATE THAT) but I just felt like much of the game was boring combat to get to the next story point. I think this would have made a much better movie than a game.
  98. Apr 2, 2013
    i'm fan of Bioshock (2007) and was really excited about infinite.Now when iv played it i think its one of the best games of all time whit original bioshock and i feel sad for people who can't understand it greatness cuz when they will see or experience something that good (movie, music, painting, book, video game) they will miss some good feeling.
  99. Apr 16, 2013
    I'd put this game in the 90th percentile for storytelling, but the 99th percentile for world building/artistic design. Seriously, I'd be happy to sink a few hours into just wandering about and enjoying the design and music without any other stuff to do. The gameplay is... fine, with moments of fantastic fun courtesy of the sky-lines.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 5, 2013
    Play BSI slowly, relish the moments and don’t rush to the end. It’s certain that you will have lived one of the richest gaming experiences that, as far as narration, lyricism and story are concerned, will take a lot of time to forget! [May 2013]
  2. CD-Action
    May 7, 2013
    A very solid, but not revolutionary shooter in an amazing setting, with a story that struggles to convey its authors’ ambitions and is only seemingly complex. The vision is less focused than in previous Bioshocks and it does a worse job on binding the plot with gameplay. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.46]
  3. May 1, 2013
    Problematic plotting and excessive amounts of poorly balanced combat apply friction to what is otherwise one hell of a rollercoaster. [May 2013, p.80]