8.5

1. Mar 26, 2013
    Absolutely stunning piece of artwork, it shows that single player games are in fact alive and well. Irrational has yet to make a bad game in my opinion.
  2. Apr 1, 2013
    Worst disappointment in years. But still, not that bad. Graphics: very nice, although I've seen better. Sounds: fine, but not top of the line. Soundtrack: annoying. The music was great, but it's just that when there is zero original music and you already have all the soundtrack's classical songs on CD, you don't want to hear them in a game like this. It destroys the atmosphere and gets oldWorst disappointment in years. But still, not that bad. Graphics: very nice, although I've seen better. Sounds: fine, but not top of the line. Soundtrack: annoying. The music was great, but it's just that when there is zero original music and you already have all the soundtrack's classical songs on CD, you don't want to hear them in a game like this. It destroys the atmosphere and gets old really fast. It's fine to use a popular song a couple of times in a game, but not all the time. For those who want to buy the soundtrack... how about just buying the original records? Controls: mediocre for a PC game, but nothing seriously wrong. Plot: a mixed bag. I felt like the writing was both imaginative and lazy at the same time kind of goes with the general idea of the game... I was disappointed in the end, however. You know the feeling you get when a story ends in "...but it was all just a dream" that's almost the feeling I got from the ending. Then there is the action: mediocre at best. Boring enemies, mostly boring firefights, generic shooting most of the time. Hide behind crates while loading your shields, shoot waves of brainless enemies pretty much just running towards you and throw in a couple of spells (vigors) if you have mana (salt). Sound original? Not really. How about a cyborg (handyman) every now and then so that it kills you instantly after you respawn, because you happen to respawn at its feet. Sound like fun? Not really. I played on hard difficulty level, and most of the game was quite easy, but suddenly there were scenes where you died a few times in a row, which did not feel that well balanced as a gaming experience. Years after finishing them, I'm still thinking of how great games Bioshock 1 and 2 were, how smooth and fun the action was, how good and crazy the characters and story was. I just finished Bioshock Infinite an hour ago, and I can't really think of any interactive scenes worth remembering. If you are new to the series, definitely go for the previous two rather than this. If you are a Bioshock fan, try this one out but ready yourself for disappointment. Expand
  3. Mar 27, 2013
    This is a wonderful game. I won't say it's on the same level as the original Bioshock was, as that was one of the greatest games of all time. But, this will easily be the game of the year for alot of people and I have a difficult time seeing something else even coming close to its level. There are so many things this game does right and so very few things it does wrong. The gameplay isThis is a wonderful game. I won't say it's on the same level as the original Bioshock was, as that was one of the greatest games of all time. But, this will easily be the game of the year for alot of people and I have a difficult time seeing something else even coming close to its level. There are so many things this game does right and so very few things it does wrong. The gameplay is wonderful. The skyline attacks can feel a bit tacked on but once you get the hang of it, then there should be no problems at all going forward. The atmosphere of the game is unlike anything seen since the original Bioshock. The first time you enter Columbia really sets the stage for later on in the game. The characters are great and Elizabeth has some of the best A.I. for a companion character ever seen in video games. The story is superb. Very little I can say without spoiling something here but it's beyond wonderful. If there's anything wrong with this game it's that the story kinda drags on toward the beginning of the game. In between getting to the city and finding the girl, there's alot of nothing going on here. It's only for a very short time but it does kinda stink. Plus, the powers in this game are not as good as the first games, IMO. I'm sure other people like them, but I found myself using one or two exclusively after I collected them all. However, neither of those things are enough for me to lower this score from a 10. I loved this game and I personally think it's of the best games to come out in a long time. I do not think it's as good as the original Bioshock, for alot of reasons, but this is a game everyone should play. I'd recommend playing the first Bioshock before this to kinda understand the gameplay elements but it's not a super big concern in the long run. Buy this game and beat it as fast as you can, but take the time to stop and enjoy the sights on your way through. You won't regret it. Expand
  4. Mar 26, 2013
    "The greatest adventure of this generation, we have in front of us the new half life, and the new "Alyx Vance" stuning,awesome, a Ken Levine Game Sir!
  5. Mar 26, 2013
    Why are people hating on this game? Bioshock Infinite is amazing, ignore the trolls who just want to put this game down; they have no clue what they are on about. The storyline, the game play, the graphics, and the world of Columbia just make this game unique and memorable than any other game I have played. If you think the original Bioshock was good, then your gonna absolutely love thisWhy are people hating on this game? Bioshock Infinite is amazing, ignore the trolls who just want to put this game down; they have no clue what they are on about. The storyline, the game play, the graphics, and the world of Columbia just make this game unique and memorable than any other game I have played. If you think the original Bioshock was good, then your gonna absolutely love this one. You play the way you want to; use whatever vigors (basically plasmids) you want to use whenever you like, use any weapon (better variety this time over the other bioshocks). Its a fresh start for the bioshock series again and my god have they pulled it off. Going on those skylines makes you feel your actually on a roller coaster and the fact that the devs have put that much effort into the game to make you feel as if you are Booker is absolutely amazing. The amount of effort the art team went to is astonishing as they have put so much detail even in the smallest places. Just like the other two bioshocks before the voice acting is superb, the animations are so fluid and again astonishingly good. The AI i must say are pretty good as they can give you a good challenge since they find ways to get to you even if you are trying to get cover. Combat on the skylines is refreshing and exhilarating, its just so new and fun to just play around with. I could go on and on about how good this game is, but you just need to pick this game up and see what everybody is talking about. This game is truly a masterpiece. Its a sort of experience you rarely ever get in any kind of game, characters like Elizabeth have been made with such care that you connect to them on an emotional level, you just keep learning more and more about Columbia and all the characters and this is what keeps you engaged throughout this epic story. Its much more open, because of this you are able to explore many more areas within the game, and the additional side quests have been cleverly integrated within the game so it inst annoying because of how nothing is forced, you just go along with it. If only this kind of effort was put into every game. This kind of effort is what pleases gamers on any platform. Buy this game, it will be the best investment of 2013. Expand
  6. Apr 21, 2013
    While not perfect, this game is nearly a perfect blending of story, immersion, and game play, the latter of which is it's only flaw, albeit a minor one. Not since Skyrim and the original Bioshock have I been so immersed within a game world, and been surprised at the twists and turns of such a unique game. The world is fleshed out, the characters have emotion (something somewhat lackingWhile not perfect, this game is nearly a perfect blending of story, immersion, and game play, the latter of which is it's only flaw, albeit a minor one. Not since Skyrim and the original Bioshock have I been so immersed within a game world, and been surprised at the twists and turns of such a unique game. The world is fleshed out, the characters have emotion (something somewhat lacking in Skyrim, made up by a massive amount of lore), and the game play...well it's not bad. I liked it in fact, but I've had better. Unlike Fallout 3, or Skyrim, I would not play BioShock Infinite again anytime soon. The story was amazing and so were the characters...but that was it. The game play, and therefore the replay value was somewhat bland.

In the original Bioshock, they offered the ability to hold ALL of the weapons, so you could switch to whatever weapon was appropriate for that situation. In Infinite, not only are you restricted to two weapons, but your companion will GIVE you ammo, health, salts when you run low. Not once did I have to rely on my abilities or a unique strategy to handle a boss, I just had to press 'F' to succeed in whatever category I was in danger with rather than adapting to the situation. Sure, it was nice to have a companion that wasn't useless, but it could have been done so much better. For instance, maybe she could offer only pistols (since how the hell do you carry a rocket launcher under that dress)? Or maybe she can carry health and salt remedies when you run low, sort of how you did in the original Bioshock but with a companion?

Long story short, Bioshock executed good game play, great story, and excellent immersion, while Infinite made decent game play, excellent story and great immersion, and I'm glad they made it, since it makes up for Bioshock 2 deviating so far from Bioshock 1.
  7. Mar 30, 2013
    In every way a worthy successor to Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite has a case to even be a better overall game as well. It has a great combination of gameplay, imagery, plot, and characters. The game is simply beautiful and proves that you don't always need more polygons to make a good looking game. The imagery and art design is excellent and really makes me want to argue that video gamesIn every way a worthy successor to Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite has a case to even be a better overall game as well. It has a great combination of gameplay, imagery, plot, and characters. The game is simply beautiful and proves that you don't always need more polygons to make a good looking game. The imagery and art design is excellent and really makes me want to argue that video games truly are art. Throughout the entire game I wanted to explore every nook and cranny for all the subtle details in the art and environment.

The gameplay mechanics are not wildly innovative from previous Bioshock games, with Vigors now replacing Plasmids, but more polished. You same combination of firearms and powers is still as fun in Infinite as it was in Bioshock. However, Infinite boasts sky hook lines, which are sort of rail lines that you can attach yourself onto to travel around a level faster and jump/attack down onto enemies. Furthermore, your ally, Elizabeth, can open tears, which are portals into other dimensions, and bring in stuff from those worlds: such as health, ammo, or allies to help fight your enemies. I should also note that although you are escorting your AI partner Elizabeth throughout most of the game, she never becomes a burden to watch over. Once the shooting starts, Elizabeth knows how to take care of herself so you can focus on fighting the bad guys, and she will even throw you health packs, ammo, or Salts (magic potions essentially) throughout the battle when she sees you are getting low.

Storytelling and character wise, this is up there with the likes of the Half Life series in setting the tone on how to tell stories in a first person shooter. Booker is excellent as the Player Character, but it is Elizabeth who really steals the show as the story's protagonist. She is one of my favorite video game characters of all time now, Irrational Games succeeded and creating a likeable, personable, strong character in Elizabeth. Gender aside she is simply a great character. From racism, working class struggles, religious extremism, violent revolutions, and metaphysics, Bioshock Infinite covers a whole lot of ground with their themes, and I personally never felt it was too overwhelming. However, the metaphysical aspect is certainly a subject that I could see getting confusing, especially if you have been rushing through the game and not picking up voxophones and other subtlties that realy add to the story telling. It's not until many hours into the game when you discover just why it's called Bioshock "infinite." However, unlike some other recent games I did not feel the twists or the ending soiled the game. In fact by the time I got to the end it felt like the logical conclusion. All in all Bioshock Infinite is a triumph of art and storytelling in gaming. Words like "magnificent," "spectacular," and "amazing" come to mind. Simply put, PLAY THIS GAME.
  8. Mar 26, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a huge relief in an industry whose releases are saturated with non-inspired and recycled crap in order to make a buck or two. It's not perfect downsides include tedious looting, easy combat and some pacing issues towards the last third of the game. But Infinite shines in its artistic direction, and really pulls you into its environment with so much rich attention toBioshock Infinite is a huge relief in an industry whose releases are saturated with non-inspired and recycled crap in order to make a buck or two. It's not perfect downsides include tedious looting, easy combat and some pacing issues towards the last third of the game. But Infinite shines in its artistic direction, and really pulls you into its environment with so much rich attention to detail. Columbia really is something to behold. The set pieces are massive and will leave you in constant awe of what you just saw.

It's definitely on par with Bioshock 1 and might even edge itself ahead. Definite GOTY contender. You can't miss this one.
  9. Mar 28, 2013
    This game truly captures what an amazing video game can be. The world itself leaves you wanting to explore more and see what else there is to offer. On top of the world the level design is brilliant, with various sights to see, reasons to explore and the urge to see what Elizabeth will find or point out. The graphics are stunning as while you walk down various parts of the game the sunThis game truly captures what an amazing video game can be. The world itself leaves you wanting to explore more and see what else there is to offer. On top of the world the level design is brilliant, with various sights to see, reasons to explore and the urge to see what Elizabeth will find or point out. The graphics are stunning as while you walk down various parts of the game the sun glare and just various reflections make it to be a highly immersing world. The combat is very enjoyable, and enjoyable enough that after beating the game twice it still has a lot of entertainment value left in it. Possibly one of the greatest aspects of the game though is it's story, and the themes it touches on. The story mixed in throughout the world always leaves you wanting to know just a little bit more. The development of the story throughout though at a perfect pace where you don't feel bored or rushed through any part of the game. It all coming to a climax at the astounding ending, leaving you left to think deeply about the game, as well as drawing you back into it to play it again. Also Elizabeth, one of my most memorable characters to see in a video game, all credit to the Liz Squad at Irrational for making her feel real. This is an experience I haven't had in a video game in I can't remember how long and is probably going to hold the spot of one of the best video games I've ever played, if not the best. All the praise and credit they are getting is well deserved for this journey that you have to experience for yourself. Expand
  10. Mar 26, 2013
    While this game does have big shoes to fill, I honestly think it fills them perfectly well. The graphics are absolutely amazing, the story is beautifully acted, and the plot is extremely intriguing. If you liked Bioshock 1 and/or 2 I extremely recommend buying this game!
  11. Mar 26, 2013
    This game is absolutely stunning... In a time where I thought I was simply getting bored of video games, it revived my hope by showing me what a real game is. Truly captivating story, and cartoon-ish graphics that are timeless and give a remarkable atmosphere. It mixes in anticipation, along with unknown and mystery of what might be coming next. My favorite game of the past 5 years.
  12. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I should probably start out by saying that I am not a fan of the first two Bioshock games, I'm don't dislike them but I wouldn't consider myself a fan, however I decided to buy Bioshock Infinite on a whim, and am so glad that I did. The game is absolutely beautiful, yes it may lack the graphical power of games such as Crysis 3 but the world of Columbia looks absolutely amazing from an artistic point of view, the gameplay is solid but so far seems slightly too easy on medium difficulty I will be trying out 1999 mode on my 2nd playthrough.)

The story in the game is one of the best I've seen in a while and I've barley scratched the surface of it, so far despite not much happening I am completely captivated by it. I also found the relationship between Booker and Elizabeth to be believable thanks to the amazing voice acting supplied by Troy Baker and Courtnee Draper.

Speaking of Elizabeth, never before have I cared for a gaming character, but thanks to the amazing talent behind her (AI, Motion Capture, Voice, Model, Script etc...) I think I might actually care for the character. I don't know why but when I (Potential Spoilers) first killed a group of men in front of her and I saw that she was scared of me because of that I kind of felt bad because she'd gone from being really happy and ecstatic to scared and cold. (Spoilers End)

I could keep writing about this game for a while, but I kind of want to get back to playing it, if you are unsure on whether to buy this game or not, I strongly recommend buying this full price, it's utterly amazing and almost (In my eyes at least) faultless.

It's good to see that this console generation is ending on a high note with games such as this and Tomb Raider and hopefully more to come.
  13. Mar 26, 2013
    Keeps up with the bioshock title really well. It's as good as Bioshock 1. Storytelling, guns, vigors (plasmid subs), characters were awesome. I hope they keep making more of this series.
  14. May 15, 2013
    A VERY mediocre and average game probably the most over-hyped game of recent times.

If I see a review on an established gaming site and see a game given a rating of 9.0/10, I'd would expect a game which would capture me from start to end, with plenty of new ideas, amazing graphics and story, a game you simply cannot put down until you played it to the end. Bioshock Infinite is a

Bioshock Infinite is a very average "run off the mill" shooter where you do what gamers do and did already for decades in first person shooters and there is nothing remotely innovative or new. The combat very quickly becomes extremely boring. The story is "bizarre" while at the same time, just a rehash of other, similar stories in countless FPS. Graphics are overall a joke, someone called it rightfully a "last gen" game. The only thing speaking for it are some "interesting" ways how the engine makes use of lights, but still from a technical perspective the graphics are abysmal, low poly-count characters/objects etc.

What bugged me most about this game was not only that it was a sub-average shooter with no new ideas, but that the player is forced to play in the same environment (that city) for the entire time. I became quickly tired of the appearance of the city which AT FIRST (right in the beginning!) was full of life, but later on becomes boring with repeated elements, the same mobs, the same weapons etc..etc..

I only had one "Oh Great!" moment, this was all the way in the beginning of the game where you enter that fair with all the characters and are eager just to stroll around and see the city and interact with the characters. But unlike a great sand-box style game where you would be able to continue to explore, the game then just becomes a mediocre shooter which rally doesn't bring anything notable to the table.

There is only ONE plus point I want to give the game: As someone else already mentioned, the game has a phenomenal, fantastic sound atmosphere. This worked so great that you can play with headphones and you can literally pin point the location of where a sound comes from, better than what I've seen (I mean: heard) in any other game today. For example: I remember early on in the game I was in a part of town and started to hear muffled, far-away music. I was able to find the source of the music "by ear" just by listening to the sound as only help. This is done exceptionally well.

As a side-note: This game in particular now will be my final proof never ever again to trust game reviews, including reviews by users here on MC. I see people rating this game a 10 saying "it is truly innovative" (which it is, BY FAR, not) and how the graphics are "fantastic". (They are "ok" for a modern system but far from "fantastic", let alone impressive). I also think its hilarious how so many are making the comparison to HL2, a game which is now 9 (nine!) years old. Ironically, HL2, although almost a decade old, had elements which are much better than this average, extremely overrated little game! Even the graphics of HL2, after about a decade can still stand up against this game, unless you are overly impressed by the better lighting effects of this game. Needless to say, HL2 (and many other games in that genre) did a lot of things better. THIS game is a game which I already forgot since there was nothing (literally) staying in my memory which one would expect from a "9 rated" game.
  15. Mar 26, 2013
    Absolutely unebelievable. The graphics/pacing/story/voice acting... its like you're in your own little world. I've never felt such wonder and awe before when it comes to a video game. And like several of the reviews said.. .there is no way a movie could have given you this feeling.
  16. Mar 30, 2013
    This is not what we have been shown for the past 2 years. Irrational tightly controlled images and videos of this game, only releasing 2 supposed "game play" demos over the past 2 years. But, the game that was released is not the game in those demos. I understand that games change during development time, but Irrational continued to accept awards based on these amazing demos, and theThis is not what we have been shown for the past 2 years. Irrational tightly controlled images and videos of this game, only releasing 2 supposed "game play" demos over the past 2 years. But, the game that was released is not the game in those demos. I understand that games change during development time, but Irrational continued to accept awards based on these amazing demos, and the back of the box even says "Winner of over 80 awards." Those awards were given based on the 2 "game play" demos, which have absolutely nothing to do with the game that was eventually sold to us. I'm not talking about aesthetic changes or scenery; I'm talking about severe game omissions, which were SHOWN to be in the game. Not hinted, not suggested, SHOWN. Example: In the demo, which was supposedly "game play" Elizabeth is shown creating a storm which Booker interacts with to fry a huge group of enemies. In the actual game, Elizabeth flips you coins and gives you ammo and you tell her to materialize stationary objects. That is a glaring omission, yet Irrational continued to accept the awards and use the awarded status to sell this game to us. Elizabeth was SHOWN to seriously affect your experience, and when the game comes out, she flips you coins. Unbelievable. The game that was released is still a good game, but it's not at all what was SHOWN to us for the past 2 years. This is the biggest bait and switch in gaming history. Expand
  17. Mar 27, 2013
    This game is worthy of a perfect review. It has so much attention to detail as well as great gameplay. Easily the best game of the year, possibly the decade.
  18. Mar 26, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is not a game, it is an interactive piece of art that gently tickles your senses before providing a gigantic emotional punch with mind-blowing ending. I fear for other game developers, the bar has never been set so high before.
  19. Mar 26, 2013
    This game is a monument to story-telling in video games. The greatest video game experience you will undertake this year. A must-play-before you die. This game even has the potential to be greater than its predecessor, if not just as good. The ending was the most fantastic ending I have seen in a long time, the gameplay was fun and rewarding, the graphics were top notch and everything elseThis game is a monument to story-telling in video games. The greatest video game experience you will undertake this year. A must-play-before you die. This game even has the potential to be greater than its predecessor, if not just as good. The ending was the most fantastic ending I have seen in a long time, the gameplay was fun and rewarding, the graphics were top notch and everything else was superb.

You must buy this game. Right now.
  20. Jun 27, 2013
    >2 weapon limit
    >no special ammo
    >uninspired generic CoD weapons >all vigors are stun+damage, except that water push one >each weapon has an almost identical variant that doesn't even use the same ammo >Halo shield >no hacking >nothing like neutral Big Daddies, Handymen are just big gorilla like enemies >story was redid 6 months before release >linear as levels, bad design >no
    >2 weapon limit
    >no special ammo
    >uninspired generic CoD weapons
    >all vigors are stun+damage, except that water push one
    >Halo shield
    >no hacking
    >nothing like neutral Big Daddies, Handymen are just big gorilla like enemies
    >story was redid 6 months before release
    >linear as levels, bad design
    >no storing medpacks/salts to force Elizabeth to be relevant

Mediocre game that on a great series.
    RIP System Shock 2.
  21. Dec 15, 2013
    This is a good game on it's own. But compared to the original Bioshock and System Shock it is crap. As far as a Shock game i was very dissapointed even though I played through it twise (one time on 1999 mode, hoping for a bit of the old feel, but no).
    While Bishock and Systemshock feelt "real" and dynamic in a way few games do, Infinite feels more like a bland rail shooter. It is not really a shock game anymore, you don't even have a map! (because you don't need one in this "corridor" shooter!)

And while the splicers in the original Bioshock feelt very thoughtout and fitting to the setting, they just copied them to what is supposed to be regular humans in Infinite, taking another well thought out game setting and turning it totally unlogical. In Bioshock, crazy splicers jumping at you in frenzy make total sense. In Infinte regular policemen doing the same, not so much.

They had the good sense to not involve nps:s in the first Shock games to much, in Infinte again, they just screw it up with populating the world in some areas with these "robots", just taking away from the feeling this is a real place.
    The best things about the game are Elizabeth as a character and as an AI. Very impressive. Also the story is interesting, but not as involving as in the original Bioshock. I had to judge this as a 0 to counter the ridiculous scores from people who seem to know nothing about games or what the Shock series is even about. This is a Shock for the CoD generation.
  22. Apr 6, 2013
    I loved the first Bioshock (still think it's the best FPS of all-time) and really liked the second one too. This game is just too buggy and too 'consolized' to be enjoyed on the PC. The mouse feels super sluggish on menu screens and many of the in game menus are designed to be navigated by controllers with the PC as an afterthought. More irritating is the fact that several mouse bugsI loved the first Bioshock (still think it's the best FPS of all-time) and really liked the second one too. This game is just too buggy and too 'consolized' to be enjoyed on the PC. The mouse feels super sluggish on menu screens and many of the in game menus are designed to be navigated by controllers with the PC as an afterthought. More irritating is the fact that several mouse bugs cropped up throughout my playthrough and prevented me from doing basic things like MOVING THE MOUSE?! There are also sections where you can get trapped on the skyrail with no way off. Compounding this irritation is the fact that there is no quicksave, so every time one of these bugs pops up, you have to redo 15 minutes of gameplay to get back to the point you were at. The game itself seems pretty good but until they fix this stuff it's unplayable to me. I guess other people just soldiered through it or bought it for the xbox Expand
  23. Apr 5, 2013
    I've played system shock 2, Bioshock, and Bioshock 2 before ever touching or hearing about this game. I played on normal first. I am still replaying it on 1999 mode, as I didn't know about the unlock code. I found the combat to be somewhat bland and boring compared to the previous Bioshock titles. However the control over the mouse and movement is better, it doesn't feel like there wasI've played system shock 2, Bioshock, and Bioshock 2 before ever touching or hearing about this game. I played on normal first. I am still replaying it on 1999 mode, as I didn't know about the unlock code. I found the combat to be somewhat bland and boring compared to the previous Bioshock titles. However the control over the mouse and movement is better, it doesn't feel like there was any mouse acceleration this time around. The story was IMO terrible, they obviously had the rush a release as the ending was contrived BS, a cop-out as they couldn't think of and actual closing to the game. 1999 mode has made the game much more enjoyable for me and I find myself getting stuck in some combat sections, that's a POSITIVE thing for me. Overall I'd give the game a 6.5. Combat isn't super good, story is terrible. Do not pay full price for this, wait til it's cheaper. Expand
  24. Apr 8, 2013
    It's a good game. Visuals are there, game's universe is great. Companion behavior technically almost as good as in Uncharted 3. But gameplay itself is just pathetic. It feels like all game-designers has left the projects at the middle of development, and guys from Irrational, or 2K spend all the budget for the previews.
  25. Apr 4, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a solid game, but nothing more. First off, it has literally no innovation whatsoever. second of all, the graphics of this game, while pretty, are really under par and this is obvious when you take the time to simply observe the rose bushes at the beginning of the game. Another issue is the combat, the combat is only fun on hard difficulty, but even then there are a fewBioshock Infinite is a solid game, but nothing more. First off, it has literally no innovation whatsoever. second of all, the graphics of this game, while pretty, are really under par and this is obvious when you take the time to simply observe the rose bushes at the beginning of the game. Another issue is the combat, the combat is only fun on hard difficulty, but even then there are a few issues with it. While playing I occasionally noticed that an enemy was having too much fun on the skylines to try and kill me. I also can't stand that when you die you simply lose money, it takes away all the punishment of dying. The game feels as though it was once filled to the brim with interesting content and was actually good, but it seems as though Irrational's long development cycle resulted in them removing all experimental content from the game. This is very obvious if you look back at the demos released over the last two years. The only truly unique part of this game is the story. The game has a unique and interesting story that kept me playing the game when it was at its worse points. (One of these points being when you must fight an enemy that has too much health and can kill you very quickly no matter how tactical you are. The worst part of this is that every time the enemy kills you it gains back a significant portion of its health, making it almost impossible to kill. Keep in mind this was played on hard difficulty so the same may not apply to easy or normal difficulty.) The story, while not as good as the first Bioshock, is not a simple, run of the mill story you find that only fill in the "reasons for this and that" spot. The story is of movie quality, the movie of course being something like Looper, which takes an age old idea and puts its own unique spin on it. I personally don't mind this, although I do value a good story VERY highly. In other words, this type of story may not be for you. As I said, this game is solid. I would recommend you devote your time to more interesting games, such as Dishonored and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, instead of playing a generally general title such as Bioshock Infinite. Expand
  26. Apr 4, 2013
    BI is ultimately mutton dressed as lamb basically a completely generic shooter in dressed up to look special with amazing graphics, and a plot that is initially intriguing, but ultimately lazy and clichéd.
    Pluses: The graphics, especially the lighting effects, really are excellent on a good spec pc, and the game runs very smoothly.
    Minuses: completely generic shooter game play.
    Minuses: completely generic shooter game play. unbelievable and clichéd plot which involves amnesia, time travel and mistaken identity (the writers clearly don't know the difference between complex and complicated).
  27. Jun 18, 2013
    i don't understand why this game has a 94 metacritic score.It's a linear FPS with boring gameplay.The story is decent but it's not enough.The only good character is Elizabeth.Booker is bland.It has no replay value whatsoever and thank God it doesn't have MP because it would be even worse

final score 4/10
  28. Apr 4, 2013
    It's a pretty enough game, both in visuals and sound, but that doesn't cover up what's fundamentally the same Bioshock gameplay we've had for years (and found lacking.)

Let's be real: Infinite is the best in the Bioshock series, easily, but the Bioshock series leaves a lot to be desired. They've done a lot to dress it up and go crazy on spectacle, but it's not doing anything Half-Life 2 didn't do years ago, and it's not even *trying* to do anything Bioshock didn't already do.

Don't believe the hype, folks.
  29. Apr 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock Infinite, building off the largely successful BioShock, and the repetitive Bioshock 2, failed to recapture the sense of wonder, interesting game play and engaging storyline of the original. Firmly placed in the "trying too hard" category, Bioshock Inifinte plays out like a mad mix of Fringe, Deadwood and Looper, except not anywhere near as balanced or well thought out as any of those. Then it was steeped in so much unrelatable Americana that it, for me, caused a disconnect between the the story and the player. The worst part, and that sounds overly dramatic, because it implies it was bad, when merely average is the result, is the combat, which, while technically well implemented, got so boring and uninteresting that I placed the game back down to Easy difficulty to just "get through it quicker", to see if it was going to go anywhere worthwhile, and it didn't, with easy-to-guess time travel results at the end, partly because a twist is expected and therefore everything is taken with a pinch of salt early on, partly because the story devolves so quickly, with such a strong desire to confuse, that it really only leaves one option left to explain it, and partly because the gameplay itself provided insufficient distraction from the story to allow the twist to remain more hidden.

Tehcnically, it's all well implemented, generally fine graphics, player controls are responsive and clear, good animations, nice textures, generally good aesthetics, stable with no crashing, with only one standout occasion of blatantly recycling a location for four fights, which was disappointing.
  30. Apr 5, 2013
    First and foremost: This is a good game, i would say it borders on beeing a great game, but it has some shortcommings to it. Firstly the great stuff: Elizabeth is amazing, i fell in love with her character from the start and i dare say that she rivals Alyx Vance as my favorite female partner in any FPS game ever. Another super great thing about the game is the skylines, it makes combatFirst and foremost: This is a good game, i would say it borders on beeing a great game, but it has some shortcommings to it. Firstly the great stuff: Elizabeth is amazing, i fell in love with her character from the start and i dare say that she rivals Alyx Vance as my favorite female partner in any FPS game ever. Another super great thing about the game is the skylines, it makes combat intereseting and alive, the adition of Elizabeths powers also helps to enhance the combat. The good stuff: The combat is pretty good, "plasmids" are maybe not that diverce and weapons are a bit stock, but overall i enjoyed the battles in the game. The graphics are very nice, some textures made me cringe thou and even thou the atmosphere is preetty good it dosent come close to the feeling you get when playing the original bioshock. Speaking of which, lets go to the bad: They borrow (steal) to much from their own game. I get it, they are paying homage to the first game, but the whole introduction to the game is stolen (yes yes i know it all makes "sense" later), the UI is almost as stolen, the vending machines are stolen, its just all a bit to familliar and just makes sme wanna go on my underwater adventure in rapture. Speaking of rapture, columbia is a great place, but i never really got that "oh hey im in a big flying city!" shure there were clouds around me but i never really got to venture on any vertigo ensuing places. In the first game i was in this claustrophobic place with water all around me, atmosphere so thick you could cut it with a knife, i did not get that feeling at all in this game. Lastly the story, i get a feeling people who praise this game for its "deep and thought provoking story" are the same people who praised the movie Inception. I get what they tried to do, i just dont buy it, and instead of sitting with a satisfied grin on my face when the credits started to roll all i could think was: Where did i put my Bioshock DVD? Expand
  31. Apr 6, 2013
    Solid FPS game. Fell prey to a few FPS tropes: vending machines selling weapons and upgrades in a utopian environment where only you are keeping the company in business (which was very laughable during the factory section when you see hundreds of them being prepared for shipment), long middle section that did very little to move the "storytelling" this game is getting the excessive hypeSolid FPS game. Fell prey to a few FPS tropes: vending machines selling weapons and upgrades in a utopian environment where only you are keeping the company in business (which was very laughable during the factory section when you see hundreds of them being prepared for shipment), long middle section that did very little to move the "storytelling" this game is getting the excessive hype for. Amazing start (first few levels until after the Elizabeth rescue) and a good solid effort at a disturbing twist ending.

As a personal note, I almost passed on this game because of the "liberal friendly" reputation it was getting in the press. I didn't care to drop sixty bucks to be preached to. I read another review which said that angle of the game was being misrepresented and that it was much more of an equal presentation of extremism tied in with historically accurate depictions of race relations and American culture in the early 1900s. I found this to be spot on. At one point the protagonist observes the only real difference between the Big Bad White Guy and Big Bad Community Leader is how you spell their names.

Rating of 7 out of 10
    1 point removed because it's at root just another first person shooter. No original gameplay mechanics.
    1 point removed because of the lack of compelling story throughout. The middle section drags.
    1 point removed because of the lazy vending machine insertion to service the upgrade mechanic required in FPS games with not respect to the surrounding "story and environment" the game is getting lauded for having.

Beyond those points, a solid fun 8-10 hours of gaming for an experienced gamer. 20 hours if you explore every nook and cranny.

And Elizabeth tossing crap at you is just funny.
  32. Mar 31, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a Bioshock game, period. I know it looks different and may seem different, but a lot of the things from Bioshock are in Bioshock Infinite. While Infinite has its own look and everything, which makes it feel new and fresh, this is a Shock game through and through, so you have a mix of the familiar with something entirely new. The combat is very similar to the firstBioshock Infinite is a Bioshock game, period. I know it looks different and may seem different, but a lot of the things from Bioshock are in Bioshock Infinite. While Infinite has its own look and everything, which makes it feel new and fresh, this is a Shock game through and through, so you have a mix of the familiar with something entirely new. The combat is very similar to the first game, but guns have more of a kick this time around. Plasmids also make a comeback in the form of Vigors, which allow for a lot of variation and experimentation in combat. There's also the inclusion of sky-lines, which make some fights really exciting and frantic. I'd say the combat scenarios are an improvement from the first Bioshock. You'll also be looting the environment and corpses for money, food, salt (for Vigors), etc.

Bioshock's art direction is simply stunning. It takes a very talented art team to pull off something like Infinite, and the team at Irrational was definitely up to the task. The amount of detail in each and every environment is staggering. You'll definitely understand why this game was such an undertaking and took so many years to create when you see it in action. Then you have Elizabeth, which is one of the most realized characters in all of gaming. Elizabeth's animations and interactions are one of Infinite's many highlights.

But Bioshock Infinite is ultimately all about the narrative, which it delivers on from beginning to end. This game's story is hands down one of the best in the business, even going as far as surpassing the original Bioshock. While Bioshock was a masterpiece, its ending left a little something to be desired. But this isn't the case with Bioshock Infinite. This game has an ending that'll blow you away.
  33. Apr 7, 2013
    Likes:
    -The unique steampunk scenery and art direction.
    -The beginning of the game is spectacular. -Elizabeth's gestures and interactivity with the environment. -There are some cool, hidden rewards. -Highly detailed and well designed levels. Dislikes: -Bland, boring combat with little need to plan or switch up tactics. Just point and shoot. There are a few elite mooks beyond the
    Likes:
    -The unique steampunk scenery and art direction.
    -The beginning of the game is spectacular.
    -Elizabeth's gestures and interactivity with the environment.
    -There are some cool, hidden rewards.
    -Highly detailed and well designed levels.

Dislikes:
    -Bland, boring combat with little need to plan or switch up tactics. Just point and shoot. There are a few elite mooks beyond the same monotonous enemies but they are never more than bullet sponges.
    -The social themes like racism, unionism, and religion seem tacked on and never explored sufficiently. They seem to be there to invoke controversy and nothing else.
    -Vigors seem weak and unimaginative. Some of them are introduced late in the game so there is little use for them. I recall never having to depend on them except for when i ran out of ammo.
    -NPC's found during the game are useless and non-interactive.
    -Horribly designed boss fights with continually respawning minions. The same boss fight is repeated 3 times.
    -Story was a let down and simply pulled a rug over you at the end.

Overall, i never found the bioshock series to be amazing games, but i enjoyed the stories and the more slow paced and cerebral gameplay of the previous installments. Bioshock Infinite's presentation and carefully crafted world is really breathtaking, but take away that and you're left with little else but an average shooter with a disappointing ending.
  34. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock Infinite is a competent FPS. However, competent doesn't mean greatness, and Infinite has a long way to go before it reaches that pedestal.

Graphically: The game looks very pretty upon first glance. Once you actually stop to look at what's going on and pay attention to the finer details, you notice some glaring problems. First is the bloom. There's bloom everywhere, and it's far overdone. The entire environment looks over saturated. Then you get up close to the textures, and they look extremely dated. From far away, the apple boxes look full of fruit, but when you get up close you seem some 2006 era textures. Okay, well what about the NPCs? Pay attention to their faces, and you'll find that many of them not only look absurd, but they also share the exact same face. The vigor's showing their effects on your hands is a nice touch, but one is left to wonder why they removed seeing the effects of weapon upgrades.

Gameplay: The gameplay is an absolute step back from Bioshock 1 and 2. You have access to all vigors at all times, making it so that you don't have to plan your engagements nearly as carefully. The two gun limit is also wholly unnecessary. It would work very well from a gameplay standpoint if ammo was very scarce, and you were forced to use money on vending machines or constantly switch weapons in order to survive. But because Elizabeth is always there to give you ammo, you're never in any real danger of not having ammo. There doesn't really seem to be any point in having a two gun limit. It does absolutely nothing for the game.

Then you have the issue of Elizabeth. Bioshock 1 was great not just for its story, but for its atmosphere. Infinite doesn't have anywhere near the atmosphere that Bioshock 1 and 2 provided with Rapture. In the previous games, you were pretty much alone in this strange, dark world. In Infinite Elizabeth is not only almost constantly by your side, but she gives you things to help you along the way. You don't have to worry about managing your health, because Elizabeth gives you healthpacks when you're low. You don't have to worry about not being able to use vigors, because she gives you salts. She even gives you money and the aformentioned ammo. Halfway through the game, you have enough money to buy anything you want, even if you don't spend a lot of time looting. How does this improve the game? It doesn't, it makes it very very boring. You never have to worry about resource management, because you can't run out.

This brings me to the shield. Here is a gameplay element that is entirely tacked on. Why do you have a shield? Why does nobody else have a shield? The shield only serves as a way for you to play like a pissed off teenager. You don't have to worry about dying, because your shield recharges. So you run in, shoot a bunch of people, and then hide while what is essentially a second health bar recharges. The AI is dumb enough to let you do this. This and Elizabeth only serve to make the game easier. Why make the game easier for no reason? Bioshock 1 and 2 weren't even that difficult to begin with. 1999 doesn't even rectify this problem, as it only makes enemies hit harder and sponge more bullets.

Story: The story is an absolute train wreck. It starts off pretty good, but quickly goes off the rails. It all falls apart when you have to help the Vox. Okay, you don't care about the Vox and just want an airship right? Good, Booker feels the same way. Then you go through a bunch of honestly pointless crap, to show you just WHY you should sympathize with the Vox. Fink is a bad man. Minorities are horribly oppressed in Columbia. Okay, maybe I should care about the Vox. And then their leader tries to kill a child, and they end up killing as many innocents as Columbia's police force. So, wait a second here. The minorities are oppressed because they're "uncivilized savages" and to give Columbia a reason to have an army right? Then isn't the whole message of what Columbia is doing is wrong completely nullified when the minorities do exactly what the propaganda claims they'll do?

Not only that, but Comstock is a villain who's never really done anything personally to you. The only reason to dislike him is for what he's done to Elizabeth, which honestly isn't some GREAT ATROCITY. The overarching themes here are supposed to be regret and forgiveness, yet NOBODY forgives anybody for anything in this game. Then, you get to the ending.

Elizabeth is omniscient. She sees all realities and understands them all. If she is omniscient, then wouldn't she have known all of this would happen from the moment she loses her pinkie? If she knew all of this, why not just state it from the start? The only way for her to attain omniscience when the siphon is destroyed is if time is linear. She can attain her powers and thus know everything from that point on. But if time is linear, drowning Booker creates a grandfather paradox. Causality is kind of
  35. May 22, 2013
    Pros: Good vistas; put you in the air. Story is great but not original. Cons: Generic Shooter. A degradation if it is compared to the first Bioshock gameplay. Upgrading weapons and vigors are no fun. Quantum Physics in a game is not a new thing, please stop saying it is original idea. Many vigor upgrades for railway battle (wtf?) You will almost always miss your Carbine, which isPros: Good vistas; put you in the air. Story is great but not original. Cons: Generic Shooter. A degradation if it is compared to the first Bioshock gameplay. Upgrading weapons and vigors are no fun. Quantum Physics in a game is not a new thing, please stop saying it is original idea. Many vigor upgrades for railway battle (wtf?) You will almost always miss your Carbine, which is another guns make you feel more like a walking ****

If you think the story is an original, just please play Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger. This is apply especially for those teenagers out there, not knowing a better story was created more than a decade ago. And for sake of humanity, yes, don't get me wrong, I love Bioshock series! And I love the 1st Bioshock pretty much.
    And one more thing that spins me upside-down, some people cited that half of the budget for this game solely spends on the advertising. Here's the link: http://asia.gamespot.com/news/bioshock-infinite-creative-director-denies-claims-game-cost-200-million-to-produce-and-market-6405761
    They don't need to be afraid of the popularity if they believe it is a good game in development.
    Open eyes, and please see it clearly, the gameplay is just too generic.

Conclusion:
    Don't believe the hype, money (read: advertising) can almost buy anything, even your ideas and beliefs, and your view.
    Thanks for reading.
  36. Mar 30, 2013
    A game that clearly shows the developers wanted to make a masterpiece. The story follows many of the strengths of the original Bioshock, but goes even deeper than before. All too often games that deal in quantum physics and science fiction get lost plot holes and contrivances, but Bioshock Infinite welcomes speculation and the more you think about what's happening the more you respect allA game that clearly shows the developers wanted to make a masterpiece. The story follows many of the strengths of the original Bioshock, but goes even deeper than before. All too often games that deal in quantum physics and science fiction get lost plot holes and contrivances, but Bioshock Infinite welcomes speculation and the more you think about what's happening the more you respect all the details the writers added to the story. While there aren't too many permanent characters throughout the game, Elizabeth is easily one of the best written female characters in gaming. I couldn't possibly list half the things I loved about this game without spoiling it, but this is a game I could recommend to anyone.
    Coming back to the actual mechanics of the game, the graphics are phenomenal. They run well on mid-range cards and rely on beautiful art design and animation to make Columbia one of the most beautiful venues in video games yet. The music is appropriate, but the rest of the sound design (in Bioshock fashion) is excellent, and many of the audio logs are simply chilling. Voice acting is for the most part top-notch.
    If I have a complaint about Bioshock infinite, it's in the combat. Enemy AI is fairly basic and enemy variety is a bit wanting. The vigors are nice, but not as varied or powerful as before. That being said, the setting is much more open and diverse than the previous games. Still, truth be told, I preferred the original game's combat a little bit. Nonetheless, while this isn't a "flawless" game, it is a masterpiece, and it will be looked back on as an important step in gaming. It shows that there are still developers out there who look to their game as a piece of art and are willing to push boundaries.
  37. Mar 27, 2013
    I don't know if I've ever given any game a 10. But if any game deserves it, it's this one. The graphical detail, the voice-overs, the sounds, the innovative storyline and the game play are unsurpassed in any game I've played in the last several years. Really an incredible gaming experience. This is the type of game that makes you want to go out and spend big money on a PC upgrade. II don't know if I've ever given any game a 10. But if any game deserves it, it's this one. The graphical detail, the voice-overs, the sounds, the innovative storyline and the game play are unsurpassed in any game I've played in the last several years. Really an incredible gaming experience. This is the type of game that makes you want to go out and spend big money on a PC upgrade. I won't get into details plenty of others have. Just suffice it to say that if you're a PC gamer, you NEED to play this game. Awesome job, 2k! Expand
  38. Apr 10, 2013
    Best game ever in an artistic sense. Story/ levels/ events/ textures/ animation/ presentation, everything is perfect. On the other hand, it have the worst gameplay that a first person shooter could have. Shooting totally feels wrong.
  39. Mar 28, 2013
    I've been anticipating Bioshock Infinite for quite some time. I have to say that it didn't disappoint me in the slightest. I've been reading through most of the negative reviews here and a lot of them are pretty poorly written. I'll try my best to address some of the main points that were commonly brought up in them in my review here. To start, this game looks beautiful. Does it use lotsI've been anticipating Bioshock Infinite for quite some time. I have to say that it didn't disappoint me in the slightest. I've been reading through most of the negative reviews here and a lot of them are pretty poorly written. I'll try my best to address some of the main points that were commonly brought up in them in my review here. To start, this game looks beautiful. Does it use lots of bloom and god rays and volumetric lighting? Yes. Does this get in the way? No. Are there minor graphical issues occasionally? Yes. Bioshock Infinite isn't meant to have to-of-the-line graphics. It seems like peoples' standards for graphics are ridiculously high after having seen games like Crysis 3. People expect every single texture to have crisp definition and for the game to run on any machine. Bioshock Infinite has a very refined visual style, and the guys at Irrational Games did an amazing job at budgeting the graphics for the most optimal balance between performance and visuals to accommodate the game's art direction. It's superb. Anyone who doesn't really understand graphics won't know that this game looks amazing. Yes it has graphical issues here and there, but every game has that. Nothing is perfect. People have also been complaining about linearity, and seem to be expecting games to always have moral choices that affect the ending ever since games like Mass Effect came out. Sure, Bioshock 1 and 2 had these things, but the different endings were honestly really weak and uninspired. Infinite has a mind-blowingly bizarre and AWESOME single ending to it. I promise anyone who plays this game that they won't see it coming. Infinite has a few "choices" you can make, but they don't really change anything to be honest, and the ending kind of explains why, actually. Gameplay is what you'd expect. I really didn't like the fact that they limit you to two weapons. I love old school shooters much more, so being able to carry 8 or 10 weapons at all times is something I love, but it wasn't enough to make me hate the game or anything. The Vigors (basically plasmids) are pretty damn awesome though. Much more "inventive" than the plasmids from Bioshock 1 and 2. I would have liked to see more big battles involving sky rails, as that was easily my favorite gameplay feature. There's only 3 or 4 really enjoyable battles where you can ride sky lines and drop-attack enemies. Firefights that take place exclusively on ground tend to be a bit boring and tedious after you experience the vertical elements of the environment. They did a good job in pacing you though. There are lengthy segments where you just explore the world without having to fire your gun. In fact your character sort of holsters his weapon during these parts. The first two games were a bit different since the environment was mainly tunnels connecting large rooms. They used AI that would randomly wander around the environment and attack you on sight (except for Big Daddies), so you were getting in to fights more frequently than in Infinite. However, Infinite's environments were sprawling towns with alleys and courtyards and boardwalks that all sort of interconnect with each other, so Irrational had to compensate by scripting battles more often. The good thing is, these battles tend to be MUCH larger in scale. The drawback to this method is that everything feels more scripted in general, whereas the first two games were much more organic when it came to unimportant fights. I personally don't see this as a major issue since Infinite wasn't supposed to be just like the other two games. The brand new setting (which I prefer over Rapture; though I still LOVE Rapture) was only one of the major differences to the game. Regarding the guns, there are upgrades, but they're strictly statistical upgrades. Since you're limited to two weapons at a time, having upgrades modify your weapon's look would be a bit odd since you'd be dropping guns all the time. I really don't understand why they decided to go the two weapons only route. I guess it was to be able to make the vigor system more feasible. In Bioshock 2, you always duel wielded a plasmid and gun, but the system was really wonky and nobody liked it at all. Infinite uses the same essential system, but it's vastly improved on so it's easy to use. I guess limiting how many weapons you can carry was part of fixing the issue...though it was honestly not worth it. Again, not enough to ruin the game, but definitely a downside for me. Lastly, people crying over the slavery theme need to realize that the setting of Columbia was meant to be like Colonial America. During those times, racism was normal. When you combine those ideals with an extreme antagonist, of course it's going to be a prominent theme in the story. Hell, at one point in the game, you enter a building where they worship John Wilkes Booth and portray Abraham Lincoln as a devil. If you don't understand the significance of that, brush up on your US History. Expand
  40. Mar 30, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece. You have to love a game that is built not to please everyone, or to appeal to the biggest demographic of the lowest common denominator. Bioware Infinite is about a development team trying to realise their creative vision. This is a very fun shooter, but by no means is it the kind of shooter that is going to inspire thousands of hours of shooting.
  41. Mar 30, 2013
    One of the best or maybe the best fps i have ever played!
    A story and characters that will grab you from the start and combat that has the old bio-shock feel.
    And plot twist that will go WTF more then once, You need to do yourself a favor and get this game now!
  42. Mar 29, 2013
    I was never really excited for this. Enjoyed the original two Bioshock's, but I wouldn't really go crazy over them. This though, this was the biggest surprise of my life. It is genuinely the best game I've ever played, best game ever made IMO. The characters and dialogue are so well crafted, visually it is beautiful, gameplay is exciting, it's the whole package. Some may argue the lack ofI was never really excited for this. Enjoyed the original two Bioshock's, but I wouldn't really go crazy over them. This though, this was the biggest surprise of my life. It is genuinely the best game I've ever played, best game ever made IMO. The characters and dialogue are so well crafted, visually it is beautiful, gameplay is exciting, it's the whole package. Some may argue the lack of choice is a bad thing, but upon completing the game you should realize why there aren't many choices to be made. Overall, it was a mind blowing experience, which I loved. The most perfect game I have ever set my eyes upon. Expand
  43. Mar 30, 2013
    One of the best FPS i ever played. Graphics style is very good and combat is fun. After trash story lines like in hearth os swarm or mass effect 3. We finally get a game witch has a really good story. The only minor problem is low difficulty even on hard, but that does not také away from superior gameplay.
  44. Apr 9, 2013
    There aren't enough words or review that can tell you how good this game is, but if some word is close to describe it is masterpiece, easily, one of the best games out there right now, is one of those games that always amaze you and you never want to finish it because every fragment of the game is awsome.
    The ability to make you feel the plot, the identified you feel with Booker is
    The ability to make you feel the plot, the identified you feel with Booker is something that no other game had transmited me before.
    The music, artistical design, the environments fit perfectly to the situation.
    I'm not gonna say that the gameplay mechanichs are amazing because maybe are a bit simple, but they are fun as hell and the made their goal because I haven't experience myself that tedious moment in other games of here are enemies", they probably should change the vigors and weapon enhancements to make them more fluid, I didn't change my vigors because I had the maxed and same with the weapons, that isn't bad either, but in some places I felt that I wanted to use other weapon or vigor and I realise that was a bad idea because they weren't leveled, but, as I say, the combat is very fun despite being a bit simple.
    The A.I (Elizabeth) is the best partneryou can find in an game,she reacts to the environment, she interacts with it, she speaks you acordingly to the situation, simply amazing.
    Congratulations to Ken Levin and his team, I can count with my fingers the games that I think they deserve a 10/10 and this is one of them.
  45. May 18, 2013
    Infinite delivers a well told story that other games have not gone to. It's setting is new and along with its very well made narrative.It grips your balls onto the story. But then you have the combat, the combat is not that game changing, kinda gets a little boring after you spent a lot of time just shooting people. And the game does not really put into ball gripping emotions except forInfinite delivers a well told story that other games have not gone to. It's setting is new and along with its very well made narrative.It grips your balls onto the story. But then you have the combat, the combat is not that game changing, kinda gets a little boring after you spent a lot of time just shooting people. And the game does not really put into ball gripping emotions except for the one you have with Elizabeth. You wouldn't really feel any other emotions towards others except for her. I would give this game a 8/10, but since it's story takes a new direction in narrative i give this game a must own. Expand
  46. Jun 14, 2013
    This game is insanely average.
    This game is insanely average.
    The gun fights have been reduced to just a wave of enemies at every checkpoint with very little diversity of enemies (1 out 15 enemies use vigor, or plasmids, while the rest use guns) making the game feel like another CoD campaign. To add insult to injury the final mission is almost endless waves of the same enemies that you have killed countless of times before.

When you're not gunning down enemies while ignoring useless vigors the game seems empty of exploration and decision making.

The storyline is linear, forced, short, anticlimactic, poorly explained, and a knock-off of a show called Fringe. I'm not joking about that. You can watch the show and get the same story as infinite.

The difficulty of the game is a joke. They put vendors and items in what seems like every corner of the map having you constantly upgraded on weapons, stocked with money, and full on salts.

Then they try to keep you entertained with gimmicks such as Elizabeth handing you vigor salts, coins, and ammo (not to mention the unnecessary sound effects that follow it) as well as the sky-lines which you are most likely only going to use in areas that you have to.

Aside from the negatives the game does a good job with art style and character depth, but that's about it
  47. Mar 28, 2013
    Okay, updating this to an 8 since I find it gets quite repetitive later on in... Good visuals for the Unreal 3 engine but mostly enhanced volumetric/lighting fx as overall its quite low-polygon (Its using all cores on my i5 3570K and getting 60fps all options maxed @1080p on the HD7870) Game play and controls are good no complaints at all.
  48. Mar 29, 2013
    Another amazing Bioshock game. Brought back awesome memories of playing the first two games as soon as they were released. The graphics were beautiful, even on low on my older computer. Minor lag during major battles, but otherwise very smooth. The story, as usual for the Bioshock series, was phenomenal. I completed the game on hard in 15 hours over 3 days, and loved every minute of it.Another amazing Bioshock game. Brought back awesome memories of playing the first two games as soon as they were released. The graphics were beautiful, even on low on my older computer. Minor lag during major battles, but otherwise very smooth. The story, as usual for the Bioshock series, was phenomenal. I completed the game on hard in 15 hours over 3 days, and loved every minute of it. Can't wait to play it again in 1999 mode, and the DLC as soon as it comes out! Expand
  49. Mar 28, 2013
    This game is amazing. Really, I don't know how else to explain it. Irrational games has done it again. Compelling characters, enthralling story lines, engaging gameplay... Where did they go wrong? For those who loved the plot twists and engagement of Bioshock 1 and for those who loved the world beauty of Bioshock 2, this game combines the best of both to create an entirely new experience.This game is amazing. Really, I don't know how else to explain it. Irrational games has done it again. Compelling characters, enthralling story lines, engaging gameplay... Where did they go wrong? For those who loved the plot twists and engagement of Bioshock 1 and for those who loved the world beauty of Bioshock 2, this game combines the best of both to create an entirely new experience. Though I was controlling the character, I found myself often stopping and looking at elements of the game, not just breezing through areas. They made this game for users to experience it, not just to enjoy it. Amazing! I hope Irrational continues to make these quality games. Expand
  50. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, really amazing game, when you first arrive in Colombia it's simply awe inspiring! A game where you can just look around and marvel at the setting is always good, the game was really good except I felt rather short maybe more could have been done before the first tear? You suddenly found yourself working for the vox but you never really get to experience that world, before everything is turned on its head and then all out war, the end was really good but left me a little bit confused, Good game but like Dishonoured way too short. Expand
  51. Apr 5, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is not a perfect game, but despite its shortcomings I truly believe that it will be remembered as one of the best video games to ever be made. I was never a big fan of the of the original Bioshock, i didn't think it was a bad game it just never really struck me as being as being anything more then an 8/10 game, and that is me being generous. So I was not expecting muchBioshock Infinite is not a perfect game, but despite its shortcomings I truly believe that it will be remembered as one of the best video games to ever be made. I was never a big fan of the of the original Bioshock, i didn't think it was a bad game it just never really struck me as being as being anything more then an 8/10 game, and that is me being generous. So I was not expecting much from Bioshock Infinite and I have to say that BI went above and beyond any expectations I could have had for it. There is so much care and love that's been put into this game and it shows. That being said It has its flaws at time the textures made me cringe (tho this was few and far between), and the combat is nothing mind blowing and really becomes kind of tedious once you find out there is no Game Over for dieing you are just re-spawn and continue the fight from where you left off (I actually encountered a bug in the game where it re-spawned me in a room behind a locked door that I could not escape from so I had to reload from the last checkpoint). However despite these problems I absolutely love this game, it is hands down the best game I have played in the past 5 years. This is most definitely a game where story is more important then game-play. The story of BI Needs to be experienced by everyone. If you are not into shooters go out get this game play it on easy. If you don't have a PC powerful enough for this game or a console that can play it then go out buy a ps3 or 360 and PLAY THIS GAME. The story of BI is just that good, especially if you make it to the end! The last half-hour of this game is an absolute roller coaster, NOTHING will prepare you for it. When the credits started rolling there was tears in my eyes and my jaw was firmly planted on the floor. Now if you will excuse me I have to go play Bioshock Infinite from the beginning again! Expand
  52. Apr 5, 2013
    The first two hours, alone, of Bioshock Infinite are worth the $60 price point. The game begins by ‘importing’ you into the city of Columbia, a city with as much, if not more substance than Rapture (from Bioshock 1-2). The city is beautiful, well organized, alive, and full of atmosphere. The citizens go about their daily lives in believable, and in many instances, entertaining ways. TheThe first two hours, alone, of Bioshock Infinite are worth the $60 price point. The game begins by ‘importing’ you into the city of Columbia, a city with as much, if not more substance than Rapture (from Bioshock 1-2). The city is beautiful, well organized, alive, and full of atmosphere. The citizens go about their daily lives in believable, and in many instances, entertaining ways. The plot seems simple: infiltrate the city rescue the girl. In reality, the plot is far from simple. From the very beginning ‘nothing is true, everything is permitted.’ The combat itself is also a step above Bioshock 1-2: the enemies are more varied, both aesthetically and mechanically; every weapon is powerful in its own right; each vigour (equivalent of plasmid) is useful at one time or another; and strategy plays a more prominent role in combat. Simply said, go buy it!

Bioshock Infinite: 9.5 10.0
  53. Apr 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, the game is graphically amazing with interesting game play and it starts out with an intriguing story. Unfortunately, the game has the same ending as any Bioshock game, with the hero undermined by one he saves. It is not like you saw it coming as the story is dreadfully full of holes and it felt like the developers of the game just didn't know how to finish the story, so the reached back in the Bioshock box and said 'that will do pig, that will do.'

The story line is also hampered by the too few guns in inventory, too few vigors (magic powers) to choose from in the UI, and way too little money to upgrade everything. You get to the end of the game and about 20% of your guns are upgraded, and forget about upgrading your vigors as there is hardly any coin for that. Maybe the plan is to give the 'Season Pass' some teeth to enhance your character further don't know don't care. I doubt I will get the pass, simply because the character is 'dead' at the end.

So if you are looking for a game with great graphics, an immersive world, a B in plot, a C- in congruent story logic, with a F- crappie ending, invest your $60 patriots into this beast.

By the way, who at 2K Games has a fantasy for experimentation on demonic children with an embitterment toward organized religion? Three games now with the same basic theme. Did we scrape the creativity bucket clean with Bioshock, or did someone have a nasty childhood growing up?
  54. Sep 7, 2013
    ---Rating---
    Design: 3 /5 (the novelty of both the mechanics and narrative wears off after a while)
    Polish: 5 /5 (technically sound, and the setting's vibrancy is the main selling point) Value: 3 /5 (decent amount of content, but there is little conceivable replay value here) ---Review--- The first hour or so of Bioshock Infinite is utterly captivating, owing to the magnificent
    ---Rating---

---Review---
    The first hour or so of Bioshock Infinite is utterly captivating, owing to the magnificent sense of awe and wonder manifested by the game's beautiful setting. The floating city of Columbia presents shimmering visuals and captures the spirit of a period (namely the turn of the 20th century) that historical and retro-futuristic video games have largely ignored. Unfortunately, despite the abundance of lore tidbits littered throughout the game, the novelty of the setting gradually wears off as the gameplay and narrative never seem to match the setting's potential.

Booker DeWitt is merely a generic film noir protagonist, and even though the player spends the whole game viewing Columbia from his perspective, there's a jolting sense of disconnect every time he rattles off one of his predictably cynical lines. This is because the player has no agency with regard to DeWitt's role in the narrative, which mostly consists of carefully sequenced set pieces.

DeWitt's grit is contrasted by a pretty and endearing ingenue by the name of Elizabeth- whom the player is tasked with rescuing and escorting out of Columbia. While this unlikely combination produces its fair share of interesting exchanges along the way, the net result of this juxtaposition is simply that Booker's deadpan facade becomes even more difficult to relate to. As such, Elizabeth is undoubtedly responsibly for facilitating the majority of the player's emotional investment in the story.

The story itself is a bit of a mess, abruptly transitioning from utopia to dystopia and milking the latter for all it's worth. Infinite flirts adventurously with serious themes such as racism, power, responsibility, and so on, but the game never manages to tackle any of them in a terribly nuanced manner, instead veering more toward black-and-white caricatures and using Elizabeth to point out the obvious to the player. The story also features a bit of inter-dimensional time travel nonsense that feels completely unnecessary and ill-conceived, given how many other narrative hooks the game utilizes to pad its length. By several hours in, there's an impending sense that the game has lost sight of its original narrative completely, and it only becomes more convoluted from there.

The Infinite's storytelling experienced isn't helped by the fact that its pacing is horrible, with gameplay becoming simply a chore that must be completed in order to reach the next stage of the story. In some ways the world seems to communicate to the player that they should explore the setting at their leisure to uncover the rich detail present in Columbia, but somewhat paradoxically there are countless points of no return that largely prevent this. However, easily the worst aspect of Infinite's pacing is the fact that the player seems to spend more time looting nearby corpses and containers than doing anything else. The boring looting process serves an interlude between every combat encounter and/or narrative event, destroying any sense of immersion the player managed to attain with regard to either of those.

Infinite is thus very fragmented, and unfortunately the core gameplay isn't all that much more interesting than the rest. Despite the decent variety of weapons and vigors (as the token magical superpowers are called in this installment) available to the player and the enjoyably nonlinear qualities granted by the sky rail system, the gameplay just never feels like anything other than generic swashbuckling action under an unconventional guise.

Bioshock Infinite has received tons of hype since its release, and while it possess an interesting and colorful setting, the game falls somewhat short in most other ways.
  55. Dec 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The FPS is completely a train ride. The story and level seem to drag out longer than necessary while leaving characters purpose unexplained. The ending makes the whole story meaningless. Expand
  56. Mar 31, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a flawed game which elevates games as a story-telling medium as high as Columbia itself. For the first three-quarters of the game I had a mixed feelings about this one. The city of Columbia is beautiful, but eventually is experienced as a long narrow corridor. The themes of racial discrimination, American exceptionalism, fanatical religious teachings, income inequalityBioshock Infinite is a flawed game which elevates games as a story-telling medium as high as Columbia itself. For the first three-quarters of the game I had a mixed feelings about this one. The city of Columbia is beautiful, but eventually is experienced as a long narrow corridor. The themes of racial discrimination, American exceptionalism, fanatical religious teachings, income inequality and violent uprisings are there, but are left as themes, and undeveloped themes at that. The chatter of the citizens is atmospheric, but too rare, and the citizens themselves are wooden figurines without emotion. Even Elizabeth, for all care and labour the designers have put into her is far from the girl we've expected since gameplay video at E3'11. Yet, for all its shortcomings, Infinite shines in the last quarter of the game. The asylum part was my personal favorite, tragic, yet nuanced and beautiful at the same time. And its main point that you can't wash away your sins, but have to live with them and let them make you better is delivered so masterfully, that you are left pondering it long after the credits and the ending scene. Surely, it's a variation on the Planescape theme --What can change the nature of a man? Regret. but that doesn't diminish the game in any way. So while I'm longing for what the game could be, I still find it hard to give it anything below 9. It's not perfect, but you would do yourself a disservice if you miss it. Expand
  57. Mar 27, 2013
    A beautiful masterpiece of a game. You could almost assume what the ratings would be upon just viewing the trailers. Irrational Games delivers in full, and then some. The amount of first rate writing and originality is all there in full, and it's much, much more than enough to make the game good. The graphics are breathtaking. The game mechanics are extremely well polished. It may not beA beautiful masterpiece of a game. You could almost assume what the ratings would be upon just viewing the trailers. Irrational Games delivers in full, and then some. The amount of first rate writing and originality is all there in full, and it's much, much more than enough to make the game good. The graphics are breathtaking. The game mechanics are extremely well polished. It may not be the game you'll play over and over like Team Fortress 2 or an Elder Scrolls game, but BioShock Infinite will still linger in your head after completion because the storytelling is just that good. Ken Levine, you know how to write a damn good story. Feel good about that. It could be a very long time until another game with this good of writing comes along again. It doesn't have the moral directions that Levine's BioShock 1 had, or what Jordan Thomas' BioShock 2 had (which wasn't AS good as BS1 or Infinite, but still a great game). I also found the game to be a bit short, but that's okay, because it might have felt like it dragged on a bit if it was longer, you never know. Overall, this is the kind of game every type of gamer should try before they die. Expand
  58. Nov 7, 2013
    This is one of the special ones. Very nice atmosphere and a strong emotional concept to it. I never felt those cind of feelings in a game before, so this is the first game that i would rate 100 emotionaly. It really delivers a great experience with innovative and original leveldesign.
  59. Mar 27, 2013
    The Greatest game I have ever played. This made me so happy to play, every step the story took was better than the last, it did nothing wrong. Both Booker and Elizabeth are written perfectly, the game-play is fresh and exciting especially the skyline fighting. This blew me away, I'm speechless. Thank-you Ken and thank-you Irrational Games!
  60. Dec 9, 2013
    3 hrs in so expect minor spoilers.
    3 hrs in so expect minor spoilers.
    This game is not only supremely boring and linear, it's also aggravating and repulsive from a story point of view. So there's this beautiful city in the clouds, where people live in (seeming?) harmony, and my job is to... kill everyone?! Violently and indiscriminately? Seriously, why would I do that? Because they're devout Churchgoers (not a big fan of religion myself btw)? Or because they haven't achieved race equality yet? Now how about changing these things through political and social means, you know, bringing about enlightenment and humanist thinking by educating people? But no. The only way to progress in this game is through mass-murder. Now if this was GTA I'd find that fun, too, but
    this game seems to be wanting taken seriously.
    Apart from that, it's just a very linear shooter with mindless enemies, repetitive gunfights and poor animation. Last night I actually fell asleep while playing go figure.
    A few points for the beautiful flying city, though.
  61. Apr 5, 2013
    It's official: We have a new poster-child for how a good story can be told through the art of video game development. You owe it to yourself to look past the gameplay flaws and play this game, if only for its beauty and artistic interpretation.
  62. Apr 1, 2013
    I've read a lot of reviews on here, some 10's and some 0's. I'd like to put the record straight.
    Firstly the graphics. Columbia looks good, but not 2013 good. The graphics are ok but they feel a 3 or 4 years old. The FOV can be ramped up but up close the Unreal Engine looks poor. The enemies are bland and repetitive and Elizabeth's character is very plain. The sound is top notch with some classic early 20th century music thrown in for atmosphere.
    The story is neither here nor there. You can take it or leave it. Personally it left me with a bit of a headache. The gameplay is very good though. I had some of the most memorable firefights I've ever had in single player gaming and I enjoyed being able to have Elizabeth to bring in some cover or a bit of help.
    One question, why did they stretch the game out by making me backtrack through a whole area?? This spoilt it!! I gave up collecting everthing and looking for everything after the first couple of hours.
    I loved the start and the end but halfway through I stopped playing for 2 days and loaded Crysis 3 up again. When I got back it was worth it but you just feel cheated at times. It's as though the developers ran out of ideas and decided to pad the game out.
    Don't get me wrong I enjoyed playing Bioshock Infinite but it's nowhere near a GOTY and not a 10 out of 10. If I had paid £30 for this I would have been a bit upset but I paid £35 for this and Crysis 3 together so no hard feelings 2k. In short, good game to play over Easter but if it was an Xbox game, I'd be trading it in when finished. Wait for this to drop in price, it's worth £19.99.
  63. Mar 31, 2013
    This game is totally worth the money and the time spent. The atmosphere is great. The story is awesome and has some mindblowing twists. Elizabeth is a nice character and helper and it's a pleasure to watch her relationships with Booker. the gameplay is similar to previous Bioshock games. A lot of exploring, collecting supplies, finding secrets and shooting enemies. The battles are prettyThis game is totally worth the money and the time spent. The atmosphere is great. The story is awesome and has some mindblowing twists. Elizabeth is a nice character and helper and it's a pleasure to watch her relationships with Booker. the gameplay is similar to previous Bioshock games. A lot of exploring, collecting supplies, finding secrets and shooting enemies. The battles are pretty boring though. You always try to end them up quick to move the storyline forward. Expand
  64. Mar 27, 2013
    I have never before been inspired to write a review for any game, and I have played hundreds over the years. It has been a long time since I have been compelled to play a game through immediately after completing it, but this is an exception. If anyone ever had doubts over whether video games can be good art, I invite them to play this. Each aspect of the game is pulled off to a tee, theI have never before been inspired to write a review for any game, and I have played hundreds over the years. It has been a long time since I have been compelled to play a game through immediately after completing it, but this is an exception. If anyone ever had doubts over whether video games can be good art, I invite them to play this. Each aspect of the game is pulled off to a tee, the acting, graphics, art design and combat are all stunningly beautiful and simultaneously highly enjoyable. I was amazed by everything I heard and saw throughout the entire experience, and the ending made my head want to explode. If anyone is reading this, and looking as to whether or not to buy this game. Just do it, I don't care about your financial situation or the timing. Just do it. Expand
  65. May 24, 2013
    The best of all the bioshock series.
    This game is highly recommended for all the people who want something other than a mindless shooting game.
    You will not regret it.
  66. Mar 27, 2013
    On of the best games ever made...for me is the best First Person ever played...when you playing Infinite,YOU hate any other games...
    10 for Bioshock Infinite...
    Thank's Irrational Games...& Thank you Mr Ken Levine ____________________ with this code you can play Bioshock Infinite On "MOD 1999": Xbox 360/PC Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A PS3: Up, Up, Down,
    10 for Bioshock Infinite...
    Thank's Irrational Games...& Thank you Mr Ken Levine
    ____________________
    with this code you can play Bioshock Infinite On "MOD 1999":

Xbox 360/PC Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A

PS3: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, O, X
  67. Apr 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would love to give this game a ten out of ten. I so would. But alas, I cannot. I cannot fault Bioshock Infinite's beauty, the atmosphere of the city of Columbia. The Immersion of that, the two main characters of Elizabeth and Booker were amazing and enjoyable to have, the luteces were a great twist, I was enjoying the game until the end. Initially I had an amazing look in my eyes as the end played out... but it seemed rushed and all explained within the last ten minutes. A great twist that should of been given an extra 10-20 minutes to play out with multiple choices for the ending (Or even those choices you made earlier in the game actually counting to something)

The combat brought a few great ideas (the tears and the skyline mostly) but once again only a handful of battles actually used them to a great extent. And some vigors were just... never used by me, they had potential but my play style was just not going to use them.

However, despite these shortcomings, I come back to the immersion and the enjoyment of the game and thus I give this game a nice, well earnt nine out of ten.
  68. Mar 26, 2013
    Right let's get one thing straight... I loved original bioshock, and number dissapointed to no end. Bioshock Infinite is good: 1. Gorgeous graphics 2. Average gameplay not overwhelming amount of effort has gone in to making the gameplay positive though at no point was it bad or unplayable, plus seen no glitches in full play through on day one since release. 3. Very short, very very shortRight let's get one thing straight... I loved original bioshock, and number dissapointed to no end. Bioshock Infinite is good: 1. Gorgeous graphics 2. Average gameplay not overwhelming amount of effort has gone in to making the gameplay positive though at no point was it bad or unplayable, plus seen no glitches in full play through on day one since release. 3. Very short, very very short only about 8-10 hours of play is a bad point so know that it won't be a game that will last. 4. Most importantly the story of this game is absolutely out of this world this game has the best story of any game released in recent history not to say it could easily trump most highly appraised games of old as well. So all in all if you are looking for a game with a lot of shooting and killing and such go back to playing COD kid this is a game for those of us who love a great narrative frankly I think this game could be the best game I have ever played, when it comes to story at least, and few games match the beautiful graphics that are jaw-dropping for even the most jaded players. If anything give it a look and if you are not interested in playing it at least watch someone play through the thing so you know the story as it is worth seeing cuz it is amazing Expand
  69. Mar 26, 2013
    I just had to create an account for this game. I couldn't resist. I never played the first two Bioshocks (however, friends of mine are huge fans of Bioshock 1), but after going back and forth with myself on whether I should pre-order, I convinced myself. I don't regret it one single bit. This game is by far one of the most outstanding games that has come out in the last decade. I don'tI just had to create an account for this game. I couldn't resist. I never played the first two Bioshocks (however, friends of mine are huge fans of Bioshock 1), but after going back and forth with myself on whether I should pre-order, I convinced myself. I don't regret it one single bit. This game is by far one of the most outstanding games that has come out in the last decade. I don't believe in giving 10's. To me, a 10 shows that the game is perfect. And this game is perfect. The graphics, the setting, the story, the gameplay, everything feels amazing and plays amazing. Not to mention that, in my opinion, this game just set a new bar for FPS games to reach. It's new and innovative, and everything works so well together that it immerses you into its amazing world without letting you go. Elizabeth is a very lovable character, and for once, you don't have a companion who's a bullet sponger. She doesn't even take damage during combat, but you'll FEEL the need to protect her, or at least that's how I felt. If you're hesitant in this game, don't waste another second. Grab this game ASAP because it will completely blow you away. This game is worth the $60 price tag that I paid for alone, not to mention that I also got a copy of XCOM: Enemy Unknown and the first Bioshock, two games that are both amazing as well. My congratulations to Irrational games for creating an amazing masterpiece. I look forward to more great games such as this. Other developers? Take notes, because this is how you make a masterpiece. Expand
  70. Mar 26, 2013
    A game that successfully blends intriguing narrative and immersive gameplay is a rare gem that will be talked about in years to come. An absolute masterpiece that stands with games like the first Bioshock, Half Life and Fallout.
  71. Mar 27, 2013
    The game is so great! I dont know how many times i stopped just to stand there and watch doing nothing. It is also the first game i took screenshots to keep as my desktopbackground because its so beatiful. I also love how fluid and dynamic the game is, you never have the feeling that the story is slowing down or it is getting boring. 20 out of 10 points. Best game 2013!!!
  72. Mar 27, 2013
    For me its best game of year in category of story an gameplay so far.Not the best game ever been but still
    awsome in graphics gameplay and story line.Worth evry penny you spend on it.Of course it has some weak spots but it delivered all we want from it.
  73. Mar 27, 2013
    There is no other game in existence that has the depth of story and emotion that Bioshock Infinite has. The ending of this game is on the level of Fight Club or Shutter Island, as far as giving the player hours of things to think about. The excellent gameplay mechanics combined with the most compelling story ever told in a game make this, in my opinion, the single greatest video game everThere is no other game in existence that has the depth of story and emotion that Bioshock Infinite has. The ending of this game is on the level of Fight Club or Shutter Island, as far as giving the player hours of things to think about. The excellent gameplay mechanics combined with the most compelling story ever told in a game make this, in my opinion, the single greatest video game ever made. I dont see any game coming close to what Infinite accomplishes anytime in at least the next decade. If you have any love for video games at all, play Bioshock Infinite. Expand
  74. Mar 27, 2013
    Easily one of the best games I've ever played. Incredibly deep story, rich gameplay, while not compromising the features that make it distinctly BioShock. Definitely recommend.
  75. Mar 28, 2013
    How can people say this game is a horrible game? Don't you think about the hard work that someone did to make this?
    I find this game amazing, a poem. 10/10 for me.
    Irration Game is amazing, you did a work much better than Bioshock (another amazing game): so please, take care of this game and make it always better with new updates and dlc!
  76. Mar 28, 2013
    There are certain games that live up to their hype, Bioshock being one of them. Far from the confined and cold halls of rapture we move to Columbia. A beautiful city in the sky, with busy streets and always things going on. Not many games draw you in completely but this one succeeds. Without going in to to much more detail the only thing i can conclude on is if you are a gamer you mustThere are certain games that live up to their hype, Bioshock being one of them. Far from the confined and cold halls of rapture we move to Columbia. A beautiful city in the sky, with busy streets and always things going on. Not many games draw you in completely but this one succeeds. Without going in to to much more detail the only thing i can conclude on is if you are a gamer you must play this game Expand
  77. Mar 28, 2013
    After playing the original Bioshock game with it's incredible plot and themes I thought I had experienced the pinnacle of story-telling. However, Bioshock Infinite easily makes any game before it seem primitive. This is not so much a game with a background, but a living story told by the characters and the player together. What drives you to complete the game is not the first personAfter playing the original Bioshock game with it's incredible plot and themes I thought I had experienced the pinnacle of story-telling. However, Bioshock Infinite easily makes any game before it seem primitive. This is not so much a game with a background, but a living story told by the characters and the player together. What drives you to complete the game is not the first person shooter aspect of it (although that too is truly unique and incredible) but the NEED to know what happens next in the story. The plot is nothing I would have ever expected in the most wonderful of ways and it made this possibly my most enjoyable gaming experience. The final moments of the game were incredibly emotional; joyful, confused, sadness, horror, and vindication. This game is unlike anything I have ever experienced before, and I urge everyone who wants to play (which should be EVERYONE) not to spoil ANY part of the plot. The way you learn it through the game is a work of art; much like the game which is a masterpiece. Expand
  78. Mar 28, 2013
    The quality of this game is almost unparalleled. Graphics that amaze, a winding story that keeps you on the edge of your seat with deep characters that are believable. A game that will be looked back on as one of gaming's greatest achievements 15 years from now. Great job Irrational Games!
  79. Mar 28, 2013
    This game is one of the best story experiences i have ever played. The art/design is amazing, really showing what a floating city in the sky can be seen as. The graphics compliment this really well too. The combat is fun, especially because of the skylines and different vigors. The story is also amazing, the ending is the most amazing and confusing ending I have ever seen.
  80. Apr 7, 2013
    A very nice game. The world is very beautiful creative and the story is interesting. Gameplay is interesting when you force yourself into the vigors and skylines and such, otherwise, you can basically just run down everyone with your guns. Overall good game
  81. Apr 8, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite throws you into a beautiful and well crafted world that is fantastic. The gun play leaves lots to be desired with samey guns and very boring upgrades to the weapons. The UI character Elizabeth is really well coded, in the way that it rarely gets in your way and seems to be ahead of you when you are going the right direction. The story is really great, well crafted and hasBioshock Infinite throws you into a beautiful and well crafted world that is fantastic. The gun play leaves lots to be desired with samey guns and very boring upgrades to the weapons. The UI character Elizabeth is really well coded, in the way that it rarely gets in your way and seems to be ahead of you when you are going the right direction. The story is really great, well crafted and has twists and turns that keep you playing. The only technical problems I have come across is a game crash when my GPU is overclocked which i think will be patched in the feature. My rating of 9/10 is because this game is NOT perfect, but is the best single player game i have played in the last couple of years. When compared to the single players of Call of Duty and Battlefield this keeps me interested where the others have at times bored me.
    Buy?or not?
    Well if you have a decent PC get it on the PC but low end PC users will run into trouble and have to play at bare minimum settings.
    For console players then really graphics are not the strong point of the game but are still very good.
    I would recommend you buy and play this game, it has received a lot of hype which it deserves some of but not all. If you want something that will keep you entertained for 15+ Hours then Bioshock Infinite is ad Definite buy. For PC users use GreenManGaming you get it much cheaper than through steam and you get a stream product key which means you get the same thing for less.
  82. Apr 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wanted to play this game so that I could shoot it down for being over-hyped. I always told my friends they were getting too worked up over this game and it's gonna be bad. Then the day finally arrived when I could finally get my chance. I don't like being proven wrong, but this time I think I'll manage.

Whether it's the beautiful scenery that catches your eye at the start of the game, the unique story line that when you play through a second time will make you go "Oh... that's deep", or just the amazing action that will hook you on the skylines of this game, you will not want to put the controller down until you absolutely have to. This game had me at attention the entire time. I was amazed with just how good it was from beginning to end. I was surprised to find that some reviewers of this game gave it anything below a 6. Granted some of the old bioshock things are missing like hacking, perks and multiple weapon selection. But in reality could one man hold that many weapons while trying to get around in a city in the sky two weapons seems more real to me. Perks have been replaced by clothing which, while you can only have 4 on at a time, are very good perks. the vigor (A.K.A. Plasmids from the other Bioshock games) are very useful and in my opinion awesome looking. The enemies are kinda bland to start off with but get amazingly better as the game progresses (Watch for that one Boy of Silence he's kind of a tool). The story is awe inspiring and very complex (some people who don't like it probably aren't bright enough to understand it).

All in all its a good damn game with a few flaws. Definitely worth all the money spent on it.
  83. May 3, 2013
    This game did not sit well with me, its an ok game but nothing more. Most of the powers have no real use the only thing I found myself really using was possession, weapons are also boring and most are useless and you can carry only two of them which I never liked in any fps game. Story was also kinda meh and it would be nice if Elizabeth could shoot back instead of just lockpicking theThis game did not sit well with me, its an ok game but nothing more. Most of the powers have no real use the only thing I found myself really using was possession, weapons are also boring and most are useless and you can carry only two of them which I never liked in any fps game. Story was also kinda meh and it would be nice if Elizabeth could shoot back instead of just lockpicking the doors that you could do yourself and occasionally give you ammo and health (thankfully she can at least keep her head down so shes not like that stupid in RE4). Expand
  84. May 5, 2013
    This review is the xbox 360 build of Bioshock Infinite- Game was played on normal difficulty and took about 11 hours to complete. Very minor spoilers ahead.

Be The bee.......... Bioshock Infinite is a rare gem. Not only in gaming but in over all fantasy story telling and lore. However, not only is Bioshock Infinite an incredible story and setting but it's also one of the greatest FPS

Be The bee..........

Bioshock Infinite is a rare gem. Not only in gaming but in over all fantasy story telling and lore. However, not only is Bioshock Infinite an incredible story and setting but it's also one of the greatest FPS ever made. Yes. It's that good.

Before, this review get's into the nitty gritty of the game, lets set up the setting and narrative arc. You play as Booker Dewitt- a pinkerton, a hired gun and over all renegade, who's only interested in the job- bring the girl, and wipe away the debt. From the very offset of Bioshock Infinite- it's clear that this will be no simple search and rescue type of mission for good ole' Booker. The intro- Like many of the Shock games, starts in an ominous way. Booker being rowed along in a boat by two faceless NPC's that lead on they no more than they are inclinded to share. They take you to a light house, form their your journey begins.

The ascention to the grand, epic and awe inspiring city in the sky, Columbia, is an incredible moment. It's gorgeous and the since of awe is astounding. It's hard to believe that with a 8 year old console devs are still putting out graphical fidelity seen in game like Bioshock Infinite. This game, much like it's addorable Elizabeth, is beautiful. The lighting, the shadders and art style is awesome. However, their are some frame rate issues and some. SOME. Muddy textures, but this game is gorgeous.

Upon arriving in Columbia, it's clear that this place is "off", and things quickly turn violent. Very, very Violent. But Booker is no N00b in the art of killing- quite the opposite. The combat in Bioshock Infinite is innovative, immersive and fun as hell. You get guns- shotguns, pistols- the hand cannon is amazing, machine guns- lots of varitey, sniper rifle and rpg's and explosive delivery type weapons. But the real star of the show is the vigors. Much like Plasmids in Bioshock 1, the vigors are the x factor of Bioshock's combat.These powers are awesome and are great at crowd control battles- the majority of combat in the game. My favorites are Murder of Crows and Return to Sender. Hell, there's even a vigor for all you Mass Effect vanguard fan boy's out there with charge- awesome. But it's not just about the incredible guns and awesome powers, but also the environment and how using the rails to get around and gain advantages over the incredilble AI of the game is in itself amazing. Destroying a certain aerial vehicle and and a certain fight that set's up the colmination of the game require's you to not only be sharp with your shooter and vigor skills but also keep's you on your toes and using the environment to gain verticality and line of sight on enemies. The combat of Bioshock infinite is great and rewarding.

The visuals and combat are only equaled by the games incredibly engrossing setting, story and voice acting- most notably Courtnee Drapper who plays Elizabeth. Drapper is amazing and did an incredible job with Elizabeth. And that's where the game shines. Lives or dies. All in. With the character of Elizabeth and her relationship with Booker. She's not just some dumb AI- she's very helpful in combat, but she's actually an incredible sympathetic character and one of the greatest NPC's in gaming history. The game would either fall or soar with her, and needless to say it tears through the sky like an F-35 raptor.

The plot and narrative of this game is absolutely ground breaking. I can't stress how far and above it is beyond anything else in gaming. But suffice it to say that nothing is what it seems in this universe that Ken Levine has created. Nothing and noone is who they are in this game, and duplicity is a central theme of this game. The plot and narrative will lose many, but those who can keep up- As it is truly "high level" storytelling, will be rewarded with one of the greatest narrative arcs in recent fictional storytelling. Again, it's that good. Creators like Ken Levine are rare. Creators like Levine in the game industry are even rarer. Hopefully, he stays in the industry because the medium needs creative minds like his. Much like his games, Levine truly set's the standard for creative storytelling in games. Bioshock Infinite is a prime example of that.

Bottome Line: This is the greatest single player FPS since Half Life 2. Yes, I said it. Bioshock Infinite is the greatest game I've played since Mass Effect 2. It takes it's place among the greatest titles of this generation. It ascends past it's predecessor and shockingly raises the FPS bar again. Buy it. Play it. Love it.

A 10 out of 10. Perfection.
  85. May 14, 2013
    Bioshock infinity is an above average game. It does may things well but not great, many of the games faults are outweighed by it charm, and tenacity as FPS go. I cannot in good conscience recommend it over the original Bioshock.
    Although graphically dated. The original used story, atmosphere and sound to a high and mature degree. That being said Bioshock infinity is a really good game, but if this game didn't use the bioshock legacy and name with it. The game itself would have been better for it. Good game and solid fun.
  86. May 16, 2013
    There was alot of hype concerning BioShock Infinite and eventually i had to check it out. Having never played any BioShock games it took me a minute to adjust to its certain gameplay style but after about an hour i couldn't put the controller down.
    This game i would say has been one of my favorites in a long time. The level of creativity and detail is truly wonderful and much appreciated. while combat can at times feel tiresome after waves and waves of enemies the story keeps you going and what a story it is! loved the surreal story here and the plot twists, its just a really fun game all the way through and that feels rare these days.
  87. Jun 7, 2013
    Wow...way over-rated, first time post, doubt that anyone will read this under the weight of the accolades from some.
    Nothing THAT special about the graphics, and they were the reason I went as high as I did.
    The gameplay? Not as good as Bio-shock, and that's a fact. Made item, health and salt pickup pointless, for instance. The story?...Great, except I knew who Comstock was long before
    The story?...Great, except I knew who Comstock was long before their (Dewitt and the girl) "encounter" at Comstock house...and the end...then this is a time bubble...all this occurred, including Elizabeth's life only it didn't, NONE OF IT. or did it?..end result, instead of not caring at the end, (bad enough) I actually wanted to slap whoever thought it up...
  88. Dec 16, 2013
    quite good. Like many off the other critiques out there, I have to agree and say that bioshock infinite has very beautiful and extremely detailed graphics and an intricate story line that has created a new universe for fans to read and think about. Although others seem to have loved every aspect of this game, I just couldn't get into it. I felt that my abilities and health did not give mequite good. Like many off the other critiques out there, I have to agree and say that bioshock infinite has very beautiful and extremely detailed graphics and an intricate story line that has created a new universe for fans to read and think about. Although others seem to have loved every aspect of this game, I just couldn't get into it. I felt that my abilities and health did not give me enough of the invincibility feeling while playing through the game and as a result, a lot of the gameplay had to be taken out of the equation. For example, I couldn't charge into a battle and melee everyone to death anymore because enemy guardsmen/soldiers actually do a lot of damage in the game. And there's also the fact that the special enemies such as handymen and the fire-bomb-throwing-guardsmen were extremely fast and annoying. On the plus side however, it is impossible to not fall in love with Elizabeth while you are playing the game. I mean she throws ammo at you when you're low and conveniently finds first aid packs when you need healing. She can get annoying however because during certain scenes in the story she gets angsty or flighty and you have to chase after her whiny ass to get accomplish your mission goals. Expand
  89. Dec 19, 2013
    go shoot, and that's the whole game, no deposit, I do not understand what it all like?
    I dont reccomend that, i got it on steamgifts, its not a game//
  90. Jan 20, 2014
    So this was my first bioshock and i gotta say
    I was pretty good but not unreal i gound it s littke repetitive
    Not many weapons and very short campain
    Story was good and look was good id give it
  91. Feb 2, 2014
    This game was not made for me. I found it to be very boring, with the same rinse-repeat shootouts without much of a break. The story line and themes were incredibly convoluted. What a shame, considering I really like the first and second Bioshock. I will however, play it a second time on a higher difficulty to see if that makes any sort of difference. I really was hoping to enjoy this.
  92. Jan 27, 2014
    Bioshock Infinite must be one of the most cleverly designed games I’ve ever played. All design decisions made by the developers subtly direct the player towards interesting themes that keep reverberating throughout the story. This Bioshock game takes place in a different utopia that floats in the sky. Infinite’s gameworld, Columbia, is given incredible detail and is probably the mostBioshock Infinite must be one of the most cleverly designed games I’ve ever played. All design decisions made by the developers subtly direct the player towards interesting themes that keep reverberating throughout the story. This Bioshock game takes place in a different utopia that floats in the sky. Infinite’s gameworld, Columbia, is given incredible detail and is probably the most vibrant and dynamic city portrayed in gaming. Irrational Games designed characters that exude lively animations and personalities that, for the first time in the franchise, provoked genuine emotional reactions out of me. You play as an ex-Pinkerton agent assigned with a rather simple task that gets complicated quickly. Throughout your adventure in Columbia, the player is presented with some of the most uncomfortable and controversial game moments and takes a new approach with choice and morality. However, these segments are beautifully tied into the story’s theme and portrayed with such narrative finesse that the player’s discomfort is also accompanied with awe and amazement.

While Bioshock Infinite doesn’t have the incredible level design its predecessors had, the game has extremely balanced gameplay that struggles between exploration, combat, and story. All details of Infinite are so carefully considered, it would be silly to assume that Irrational Games got lazy when designing the combat. If the combat system became any more complicated with extra secondary goals and additional exploration, it would disrupt the balance between the narrative and ultimately force the player to focus less on the story. While I would prefer that my Booker DeWitt had the ability to carry all accessible weapons with him, the two-weapon system doesn’t necessary bother me. Almost all weapons are very well balanced and merely cater to different gameplay styles without offering noticeable advantages in combat. In addition, I found that Vigors are a much more appealing magic system than the Plasmids in Rapture. The various Vigors react with each other differently and offer much more depth to the gameplay if you decide to experiment with them. The defensive Vigors, such as Return to Sender and an upgraded Charge, can become life savers on higher difficulties. It’s incredibly rewarding when the player perseveres through a challenging combat situation by cleverly utilizing their Vigor arsenal. Bioshock Infinite is one of the most colorful games ever crafted and steers the shooter genre in a new direction with its fluid gameplay and remarkable narration.
  93. Mar 27, 2013
    This game is nothing short but amazing. It's story will impact you for years to come, as it goes so deep into the human spirit that it is destined to leave a mark.
  94. Apr 8, 2013
    Amazing story, fun mechanics, terrific art design but after all is said and done, it's a straighforward, primrose-path shooter, and a not very original one at that. For those of us "old-timers" who were wowed by the pacing, edge-of-your-seat action, problem solving and mechanics of System Shock 2 and Deus Ex, this game is certainly wanting. When I pay $50 for a video game, I expect anAmazing story, fun mechanics, terrific art design but after all is said and done, it's a straighforward, primrose-path shooter, and a not very original one at that. For those of us "old-timers" who were wowed by the pacing, edge-of-your-seat action, problem solving and mechanics of System Shock 2 and Deus Ex, this game is certainly wanting. When I pay $50 for a video game, I expect an interactive, dynamic experience what I got was an amusment park tour with some button mashing. Next time I'll watch a good movie or read a book if I want a similar experience to Bioshock Infinite. Props, however, for the creators of the story and their uncompromising vision. Expand
  95. Mar 27, 2013
    I just finishend is and. Maybe one of the endings in video game history. Both gameplay and story wise. Even if some things doesnt make sense yet. Guess that's what drives a good story if people can speculate about it. Gameplay was amazing, best shooter in years. No cover mechanic or health regen. Just bare gameplay. "Plasmids" aka Vigors where somewhat unecessary but that doesnt changeI just finishend is and. Maybe one of the endings in video game history. Both gameplay and story wise. Even if some things doesnt make sense yet. Guess that's what drives a good story if people can speculate about it. Gameplay was amazing, best shooter in years. No cover mechanic or health regen. Just bare gameplay. "Plasmids" aka Vigors where somewhat unecessary but that doesnt change the fact that this is one of the best games i ever played in my life. Expand
  96. Jan 10, 2014
    This is one hard game to judge and to review, because it has so much but at the same it has so little. But I want to be clear from the start: yes, it is a good game. Yes, it has a very good story. Yes, it is a better shooter than normal. No, it's definitely not a masterpiece that everyone assume: it has flaws and those flaws are huge that cannot be avoided, especially considering I LOVEDThis is one hard game to judge and to review, because it has so much but at the same it has so little. But I want to be clear from the start: yes, it is a good game. Yes, it has a very good story. Yes, it is a better shooter than normal. No, it's definitely not a masterpiece that everyone assume: it has flaws and those flaws are huge that cannot be avoided, especially considering I LOVED the original (especially System Shock), and I was expecting so much from this game, but when I heard of thecontent they had, but later removed, I just waited for a discount. Something that I didn't do for the original.

What's good in it:

1)The story is the best part of the game and despite confusing at first...it will be still confusing later on, until you end the game, and hardly any game nowadays is able to do hook you like this game, especially an fps game. I won't spoil the story, but it's interesting and very engaging. Is it flawless? No, but it's still good. And that's what counts.

2) The combat, while being a shooter, is actually pretty good although not very innovative, but if we have to compare to other "modern" fps game this is way higher on the scale: the vigors, while being not exceptional comparing to the original Bioshock, it still gives some variation on the fight and combined with your weapons (I'll talk about it) and also the sky-line fights, it gives some good combat now and then
    and it was ok and enjoyable. Only downside is that the fights are far too easy (I played on normal) so unless you want a challenge, you'll have to fight on highest difficulty, especially since your partner (Elizabeth) will provide support now and then. Not perfect, but definitely better than the average fps.

3) I finished the game in about 10 hours, doing the most I can and trying to gather most of the powerups I could get (the pots), so even on length it's pretty good too considering most of fps nowadays, if you're lucky, will last about 5 hour or so, even less if you like to rush on the game. Sure the game will last less than 10 hours if you rush but, once again, if we have to compare to other fps, it's pretty lengthy. On its own, it's good enough: not too long, not too short.

What's bad in it:

1)You can only carry 2 weapons at once and, unless you find the weapon somewhere, you'll be stuck with the two you've got; this alone will make most of the weapons useless, because you'll focus on just 2 weapons most of the time and only them for the rest of the game: a pity because not only the original you could carry all of the weapons, but each one was useful (even the wrench, with the right upgrade!).

2)You can use all of the vigors at once but it's so badly implemented (you hold Q to show the screen of vigors; in Bioshock it was bind to your F1 keys) that you will often forget them and just use two all time (since it's also very easy, it won't matter).

3) Passives are gone and are replaced with clothes that you have to find and once you use them, you can replace with another until you find another. General upgrades also are dumbed down, with potions upgrade for health, shield and salts, and money for the other upgrades (instead of a specific revenue, like the ADAM in Bioshock)

4)Too few exploration and lack of choices....and those few choices will lead you to nothing, since the game ends the same everytime. Also, the game is extremely linear despite the game will try to give "different paths", but the game will always force your way through one way only.

5)Vigors are extremely dumbed down and not all of them are very useful and not worth upgrading at all. And some powers aren't here, like Telekinesis... (I would have LOVED to throw them away!!!!)

There are probably other issues that I could mention, but all in all this game is very good and it was enjoyable to play through...but yes, this game, together with Portal 2 and maybe some CoD games, is one of the most overhyped games ever, because of the amount of things they have promised to deliver just scrapped later for giving us, in few words, a "linear shooter with story elements". I won't say it's bad because it's linear (I mentioned it had some exploration), but after Bioshock I expected sooooo much from this game and, to this day, I still consider that game a masterpiece (although that game is too easy too). But yes, I highly recommend this game to give it a try, ESPECIALLY if you find it on discount, because it has a good story (but hard to follow), one of the most reliable and interesting partners I've ever had (and more games should take inspiration from her!), and has an unnoriginal yet good fps mechanic that works, but really begged for more innovation (Ok, the original game was more clunky on using both of your powers....)

A tough score for me, but I think a 9(.5) is a very well deserved to this game.
    Very good, but very flawed as well.
  97. Jul 7, 2013
    Easily one of the best stories in gaming, with a beautifully designed world and strong voice acting... but, its over-hyped. This is not the greatest game of the generation, because as a game, it isn't fantastic. The gameplay is fun enough to go through the story, but it not an improvement on the original Bioshock formula, in fact I preferred the first game much more. The vigors and gunsEasily one of the best stories in gaming, with a beautifully designed world and strong voice acting... but, its over-hyped. This is not the greatest game of the generation, because as a game, it isn't fantastic. The gameplay is fun enough to go through the story, but it not an improvement on the original Bioshock formula, in fact I preferred the first game much more. The vigors and guns don't match well, and it doesn't help that you are restricted to two guns, which takes out some of the strategic elements of the game. A boss is reused three times, and besides that enemy variety is only average, with the handymen managing to actually be annoying rather than challenging. All in all this game as a game is decent but nothing special, a 6 or a 7 maybe, but its graphics and story bump it up to an 8. Expand
  98. Dec 26, 2013
    Meh, I didn't like this game as much as I hoped I would. The story was really confusing and I didn't like ending. I'm one of the people who couldn't wait to finish this game and I am very glad it was a short one, only 15 hours.
    I did enjoy the help from Elizabeth, she was sweet and I began to get quite fond of her but every other character in the story had limited appeal. It wasn't a game I felt immersed or invested in. Lots of copy and pasted people too. Lazy. Not sure why the big hype but my husband said he loved it so there you go, different strokes for different folks.
  99. Apr 18, 2013
    The Bad: DON'T think too hard about the plot or you WILL be disappointed! They throw out so many interesting plot threads and potentially deep societal commentary that it draws you in. I was hooked! I had to know what happens! Then what could have been woven into a fine tapestry turned into a couple of threads hot glued together at the end. It became a job just to finish the thing onceThe Bad: DON'T think too hard about the plot or you WILL be disappointed! They throw out so many interesting plot threads and potentially deep societal commentary that it draws you in. I was hooked! I had to know what happens! Then what could have been woven into a fine tapestry turned into a couple of threads hot glued together at the end. It became a job just to finish the thing once this dawned on me.

The Vigors seem a little unbalanced and you are likely to only focus on a few.

NO HACKING! None.

The Gear you find, which doubles as your customizable character traits,  is completely randomized. If you reload a checkpoint, the item changes. (This could be good or bad really.)

The Good:

The Art design is fantastic! Most areas have something new to look at and explore and even the disturbing areas can be visually appealing. It feels like the art took up most of the games budget and it shows. Very memorable visuals around almost every corner, some are subtle, so stop and take it in!

Combat, especially when leaping on and off the rails into melee, is often quite a lot of fun. You'll almost never run out of ammo or Salts once you join up with Elizabeth.

They did very good research on the era they are portraying. From the dialect to the billboard adds, it really feels like you’re in the early 1900s. (Minus the floating city aspect. lol.)

Bottom-line:

A deeply flawed and over hyped game that really did try to tell a good story, but ends up a frustrating and empty mess of a plot with great visuals and decent game play.
  100. Mar 29, 2013
    I don't love awarding games a Ten out of Ten. But this game is masterful. It is a first person shooter with an incredible setting, wonderful story, great protagonists and fun gameplay. The shooting might not be the best ever, but the awesome set design combined with the Vigor Power Ups create some of the best combat you'll ever experience. Furthermore, you play a true character! BookerI don't love awarding games a Ten out of Ten. But this game is masterful. It is a first person shooter with an incredible setting, wonderful story, great protagonists and fun gameplay. The shooting might not be the best ever, but the awesome set design combined with the Vigor Power Ups create some of the best combat you'll ever experience. Furthermore, you play a true character! Booker DeWitt talks, a lot actually. Elizabeth is the best AI partner I've ever seen. She may not fight in the combat, but she is responsive, never glitches, and feels natural. Also, she is super helpful! But she is not just great AI, she's one of the best characters in gaming. You care for her, and yes, you care for Booker as well. The story is crazy. Even when you think it will become cliche, it doesn't. And the ending is unprecedented. It's told in the best way ever, No video game ending made me this emotional. I'm not even a Bioshock fanboy! I didn't play the first one until I finished this one (which is another great game). Overall, get this game. Any one giving it bad scores is not justified. It's okay if you feel it's not revolutionary like most of us. But don't say stuff that doesn't make sense just to sound justified. Whatever. I loved it, and a 9.1 user score shows that not even MetaTrolls will taint this great game like they did with ME3( I give that a 8/10, was disappointed, but still respect it). Bioshock Infinite is not perfect. Why can't we hold more than two weapons? Why can't we upgrade how many vigors we can hold? Why do we have to look at a specific place to attach to a skyline? Still, these little nibbles are excusable. This is right there with the classics. Oh, and definitely, the story here is one of the best you will ever experience (books, films, or gaming). 10/10 for sure. Expand
  101. Apr 7, 2013
    This game is awesome! The AI is good, the graphics look good, not THAT many weapons though, but enough to keep the game fresh through the whole thing, you actually use a variety of vigors, you probably won't just end up using one or two vigors, Elizabeth is really well done, the story is somewhat confusing at first, but you'll understand it after a while, the gameplay is nothingThis game is awesome! The AI is good, the graphics look good, not THAT many weapons though, but enough to keep the game fresh through the whole thing, you actually use a variety of vigors, you probably won't just end up using one or two vigors, Elizabeth is really well done, the story is somewhat confusing at first, but you'll understand it after a while, the gameplay is nothing revolutionary, but it's solid. 9/10 Collapse

Play BSI slowly, relish the moments and don’t rush to the end. It’s certain that you will have lived one of the richest gaming experiences that, as far as narration, lyricism and story are concerned, will take a lot of time to forget! [May 2013]
  2. May 7, 2013
    A very solid, but not revolutionary shooter in an amazing setting, with a story that struggles to convey its authors’ ambitions and is only seemingly complex. The vision is less focused than in previous Bioshocks and it does a worse job on binding the plot with gameplay. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.46]
  3. May 1, 2013
    Problematic plotting and excessive amounts of poorly balanced combat apply friction to what is otherwise one hell of a rollercoaster. [May 2013, p.80]