8.5

1. Mar 29, 2013
    Great gameplay mechanics... challenging without being punishing (unless you want it to be) stunning visuals and hilarious voiceover quips throughout and in the end the storyline will leave you laughing out loud, saying "Whhhaaaattttt??!!!" as they take it somewhere amazing... all in all, amazingly well done... /golfclap to the whole development team
  2. Apr 21, 2013
    Utterly gorgeous, but way too glitchy. First the controls were defaulted to XBox 360 and mouse/keyboard simply didn't work (I just spun in place). Once I google'd that problem down I ended up hitting another glitch in the carnival games entirely unable to continue this is only a few minutes in to the game, so I'm calling the rest of it as not worth trying.
  3. Apr 3, 2013
    Wasn't what I was hoping it would be. Would've been better if everyone was a lunatic like in the other bioshock's. The NPC act like drones no character to them. Also I HATE SIDE KICKS! I don't know why this side kick was necessary. Was some survey taken and 9 out of 10 boy scouts agreed that side kicks are awesome? At least this side kick isn't constantly trying to kill itself.Wasn't what I was hoping it would be. Would've been better if everyone was a lunatic like in the other bioshock's. The NPC act like drones no character to them. Also I HATE SIDE KICKS! I don't know why this side kick was necessary. Was some survey taken and 9 out of 10 boy scouts agreed that side kicks are awesome? At least this side kick isn't constantly trying to kill itself. Would've been better if you could've told the side kick to back off or stay here or go away Ill call you if I think I need a side kick. Expand
  4. Apr 18, 2013
    It's a good game, but vastly over rated. People claiming that this is game of the year, 10 out of 10... give me a break. The story is fantastic, the presentation is eye candy and the combat is fun... that's about it. My main concern is the lack of content in the game compared to other action adventure games out today: single player is too short, few types of weapons/abilities, no varietyIt's a good game, but vastly over rated. People claiming that this is game of the year, 10 out of 10... give me a break. The story is fantastic, the presentation is eye candy and the combat is fun... that's about it. My main concern is the lack of content in the game compared to other action adventure games out today: single player is too short, few types of weapons/abilities, no variety of enemies and just not a lot of things to explore(I explored every corner and opened most locked doors). The movie clips you find throughout Columbia are just lackluster and pointless. It tries to add to the story, but it's just a lazy addition that most people just end up skipping.

People are going to argue that the story is so amazing that it compensates for the lack of content, but it's a video game... not a book. Of course you have to take into a count the contents. Honestly this game seems much more simplified compared to the other Bioshock games. And of course like most game developers today they are going to charge people for extra content in DLCs instead of putting it in the base game. I would have gave this game a 8, but people are over rating it way too much.
  5. Mar 29, 2013
    I knew Bioshock Infinite was going to be good, but an unrivaled masterpiece I didn't expect. A new standard not just for FPSs, but for all genres of gaming! Thank you Irrational Games and 2K for creating/publishing a game that's beyond reality as we know it!
  6. Mar 27, 2013
    MASTERPIECE FLAWLESS, REMARKABLE, BREATHTAKING, UNTHINKABLE, DIVINE, PERFECTION. I can muster a thousand words that try to accomplish what this game entitles. But only you can experience what it beholds. To say a must buy would only tarnish it's beauty. To say it's plot would only corrupt it's experience. To say it replay-ability is an unknown to what presents in quantity. The reality isMASTERPIECE FLAWLESS, REMARKABLE, BREATHTAKING, UNTHINKABLE, DIVINE, PERFECTION. I can muster a thousand words that try to accomplish what this game entitles. But only you can experience what it beholds. To say a must buy would only tarnish it's beauty. To say it's plot would only corrupt it's experience. To say it replay-ability is an unknown to what presents in quantity. The reality is this, that I of a gamer, have never written a review that I could not forsake a flaw that I identified in game play. For my wish is to find an error, but such a circumstance I cannot find. Irrational Games is the holy grail of life, the one I always wished to find. Now I have the experience to witness at least it's mortality of beauty. Thank Irrational Game, you have made my gaming experience, not for a decade, but a life time of gaming memories...................

VIRUS
  7. Apr 7, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite definitely has its flaws. It's extremely linear, poor enemy AI, a seeming infinite amount of supplies and money from Elizabeth, enemies not very challenging (even on hard), and the game holds your hand the entire way through, it's too short, upgrades are virtually worthless, the waves of enemies & violence really detract from the violence, and there are numerous questionsBioshock Infinite definitely has its flaws. It's extremely linear, poor enemy AI, a seeming infinite amount of supplies and money from Elizabeth, enemies not very challenging (even on hard), and the game holds your hand the entire way through, it's too short, upgrades are virtually worthless, the waves of enemies & violence really detract from the violence, and there are numerous questions that are never addressed. However the game is so well done in terms of narrative and art that it really pulls you in, the characters are wonderfully scripted and the way Elizabeth runs ahead of you and makes these little comments made me impressed. The ending, of course, is also crazy.

The game is good, but not the best of a decade like I've seen it been called. Definitely over-hyped and not worth the 95 metacritic score. Though, it could be as others suggested, it's just the best out of recently mediocre releases.
  8. Mar 30, 2013
    I can say the graphics re amazing or the soundtrack was stellar. Both of which are true. But for me it was the story that made this game. Peeling back the layers to figure out what's going on. And it ends on a note that just left me speechless.

The negatives are no way to manually save. Because frankly some cutscenes are just so impressive I want to experience them again. And the game does lull a bit in the middle. Where you're running back and forth doing similar fights. Many parts of the story at this part could have been streamlined. But to the games credit this isn't something I actually realized until i finished the game. At the moment I was too busy soaking in the experience.
  9. Mar 30, 2013
    You already know what to do. Don't think. Buy. A world to live in, combat system to indulge in, and a sequence of events without wasted space. A masterpiece of synthesis. Join myself and the elite few who have bested 1999 mode and be at peace.
  10. Apr 18, 2013
    logically i would put 9 out of 10 for this masterpiece, but all in all, i am in too much disappointment i'm a fan of the series. It began when I played the Bioshock2, following the first, and waiting years for sequel.
    So, i have waited for almost a month to buy this gem, held myself from reading spoilers from internet.
    Basically i'm astonished and amazed by the design of the levels, so
    Basically i'm astonished and amazed by the design of the levels, so much details. yet the atmosphere is somewhat bland. At first. i was expecting some kind of dark atmosphere, horror and mysterious city of Columbia a remedy of the first and the 2nd Bioshck, or some sort, but there isn't. Maybe, the story will develop there, so I thought. But following the story, there was no horror. no eerie feeling after bloodshed, while corpses piling up, but it was no new sight in games.

the gameplay, is somewhat linear, no revolution from the previous game. It's awesome though, the blast explosion, effect, the game engine works out wonderful. It expect us to experiment with variety of powers and guns. but encounters are predictable and filled with "meh, them again?" situation. walking through new levels, then suddenly music changes. enemies show up from nowhere. but none of the encounters really memorable nor exciting, not even the bossfight. The so called Vigors are scattered around the city, and stores, but none of the enemies using it, the AI have been given the variety of guns, but they only overwhelming when surrounding you. i'm expecting to fight the Songbird, but what just play the whistler and he will be your pet, i was like, "just damn".

the characters besides Elizabeth are not really memorable either, NPCs are copypasted here and there. Fitzroy really doesn't have strong appearance. NPC design models are good.not great. citizens are scripted to walk in predicted path, bump 'em and nothing happen. Elizabeth partially useful, yes she's pretty, i wont say stupid, but often blocking path in a narrow hallway.

the overall philosophy of the story is clever, complex, but morbid. the game is antagonizing an ultranationalist-racist-religious zealot character comstock. I dont feel sympathy to the antagonists, but not really empathy to Booker either. from the first playthrough, the game filled with insult, and not the kind of insult that funny to follow. then comes the use of physics references, e.g quantum mechanics. basically it's fine, most games using it. but the ending is on half part logical, and distressing as a whole. I already thought that elizabeth is Booker's daughter, the time she demonstrate the ability of tearing the energy barrier between harmonic universe. what if booker fall for her before the siphon destroyed? Booker will be, "Holy i almost f***d my own daughter". The game itself doesnt really describe the social connection between the two. In bioshock 2 eleanor called Atlas "big daddy" as Dad, and it describe the connection. but Bioshock infinite didn't. In the process of the play through we are expected to be attached emotionally to the game, to the story and atmosphere, to elizabeth, but in the end she drowned me so she could save some other billions universe i don't give a okay that's rich, but not satisfactory why games these days always wanted the player to kill himself? really? why?? as a religious and a physics major, the overall concept story in this game is a real troll. worse is, there was no alternate ending. I'd rather vouch for farcry 3 for "not killing my gilrfriend" moments.

overall, design is complex and uniqueness 8 points. combat 6. story 7. moral lesson -1.
  11. Mar 29, 2013
    A beautifully crafted and well-written game with some... ambitious combat that is unfortunately dragged down from perfection by a sluggish and only sparsely interesting middle. Memorable and well worth the money, to be sure, but not without its faults! The middle part of the game is a bit of a slog and once you figure out a gun/vigor combination that works for you there's little reason toA beautifully crafted and well-written game with some... ambitious combat that is unfortunately dragged down from perfection by a sluggish and only sparsely interesting middle. Memorable and well worth the money, to be sure, but not without its faults! The middle part of the game is a bit of a slog and once you figure out a gun/vigor combination that works for you there's little reason to ever deviate, even on the higher difficulties. That being said, you're not likely to play another game with such jaw-dropping setpieces and captivating storytelling this year. Even the original Bioshock doesn't quite stand up. Expand
  12. Mar 29, 2013
    Mechanically, I think BioShock Infinite is actually superior to BioShock. I found the first game to involve a considerable amount of shooting the same baddie, to the point of tedium. In Infinite, this happens occasionally, but normally it makes more sense. There aren't any tiny mobs which just take hours to kill.

Story-wise, it's pretty strong, the inclusion of a focus character, and

Story-wise, it's pretty strong, the inclusion of a focus character, and the inclusion of lots of random people walking the streets make the world feel alive, and the characterisation's generally pretty good. I get the feeling that the plot in Infinite, although engaging, isn't quite as well thought out as in the first one. All in all, this is an excellent game, which after about 7 hours, I'm enjoying far more than I did BioShock. Well worth buying, especially if you like the other games in the series.
  13. Apr 3, 2013
    Few games affect me enough to where I am literally slack-jawed in awe; but Bioshock Infinite accomplished this in me. The story is absolutely not to be missed. Sure, I didn't adore all of the combat; but once you were able to strike a balance of Gunplay versus Vigors, it was actually a lot of fun to set up elaborate chains and combos. Regardless of gameplay, again, the story is 100%Few games affect me enough to where I am literally slack-jawed in awe; but Bioshock Infinite accomplished this in me. The story is absolutely not to be missed. Sure, I didn't adore all of the combat; but once you were able to strike a balance of Gunplay versus Vigors, it was actually a lot of fun to set up elaborate chains and combos. Regardless of gameplay, again, the story is 100% absolutely worth seeing through to the end I am still mesmerized by it.

Play this game, it is an instant classic.
  14. Apr 15, 2013
    It's a good game and it's fun, but it's not a great game and it will not have a lasting appeal. This game is also fairly short. $60 for ~6-9 hours of game-play is a little steep.

Think of this game as the action adventure version of BioShock. Unfortunately the shooter mechanics are not good enough to stand on their own(like other BioShock games) and there is not enough other stuff to fall back on. The plasmid replacements don't seem to add much to the game and the weapons aren't very interesting so combat is very repetitive. There really isn't much in the way of enemy variety and very few enemies have unique mechanics. This causes the action to get a little stale sometimes. Most of the time combat involves killing a wave of mooks and then moving two rooms down a linear path and killing another wave of mooks who will sometimes be accompanied by a generic miniboss that you have already seen a couple times.

The story is decent but it really isn't self consistent, which might bother people.(it bothered me a little bit) The environment is also less interesting than in previous BioShock games. The areas are very linear, with linear branches that go to optional equipment or lore. It doesn't give the same sense of exploration as previous BioShock games.

Overall it's definitely not a bad game and it is worth playing, but it has it's fault and is generally over-hyped.
  15. May 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The start of the game was a blast. The visuals and the art are really awesome and it does a great job on introducing the player into the world of the game.

But after one hour playing, all the colorful illusion starts to fall apart. At the beginning, I got extremely excited with the non-regenerative health bar thinking that I would need to look after my health and keep always exploring that epic city looking for health items, but a dozen battles later, somebody throws me a bucket of cold water when I am forced to pick a power-up that gives me a Halo-ish regenerative shield.
    The gunplay is terrible. All guns fells weak, looks bad, have wimpy sounds, and can't kill unless you hit the head. Enemies are very static. You can hit them in the leg, in the arm, from behind, it doesn't matters. They will never react differently to your attacks. They look like motionless robots.

There are cool melee executions, but the system to perform them is broken. I think it has a 3/4 chance of failing at it and killing the enemy with a regular melee attack. This is extremely frustrating.
    And, I can't forget to mention the extremely boring, unmemorable, and uninspired soundtrack.

The game has some very good points. Very good visuals, Elizabeth is an excellent companion, good narrative, but I think these points are not enough to justify the aforementioned problems, and are not enough for saving this game from falling into the "generic shooter" category.
  16. Jul 1, 2013
    There are plenty of things this game did right, and plenty that it did wrong. The plot twists and story were interesting and kept me wondering what was to come in the next sequence of the game. The setting was great and very original, at least to my knowledge. But the story is its most worth feature and is what makes the game shine to most people.

Taking a look at the characters made me

Taking a look at the characters made me frown a little bit, seeing as Elizabeth is the only redeeming character in the entire game. Most of the others had very bland dialogue and boring backgrounds that had no influence to the plot what-so-ever. The only thing that made some of the characters stories interesting were there relations with Elizabeth.

Some of the poorly done things in Bioshock Infinite include the game play above anything else. While I enjoyed the game I felt bored from time to time. The vigors were a good attempt at keeping things interesting but I felt little use for them. There are too few enemies in this game, and the special enemies only make rare appearances. The majority of enemy encounters in this game include armed men carrying Rifle's and Shotguns, making nearly every fighting sequence a long distance 'duck and cover' battle. For its time, the gameplay is very stale and needs some serious improvement.

All in all I enjoyed the game for its practical elements like the story. It just lacked in so many other things and I feel if these things could be improved upon, Bioshock Infinite would be a much better game.
  17. Apr 14, 2013
    its a good game but its no way a 9 or 10. the shooting elements are good imo. im not really a fps player but i enjoyed the gameplay. the story is good if you into inception kinda stuff.. the problem is if you are playing you wont understand a lot. in the last 30 min you will get all informations. good game but overrated imo. best game ever? no its just a good game
  18. Mar 29, 2013
    This game is truly something... it had been a long time since a game hooked me enough to make me play it from start to finish in just one sitting.. i installed the game just to "try it out" and ended up playing for 10 hours in a row minus eating and going to the bathroom.. this game is astonishing! The character design is superb and it accomplishes something most games can't even begin toThis game is truly something... it had been a long time since a game hooked me enough to make me play it from start to finish in just one sitting.. i installed the game just to "try it out" and ended up playing for 10 hours in a row minus eating and going to the bathroom.. this game is astonishing! The character design is superb and it accomplishes something most games can't even begin to do, it makes you care for the characters, care about what happens to them. Now, the graphics, the graphics have been an hot topic here because some people say they are superb some say they suck... Well, they certainly do NOT suck.. yes, we are not talking about crysis here, but if you're making that comparison you're missing the point! This game is not hyper realistic and it doesn't try to be but what is astounding is the art direction.. the graphics are not about realism, i'm certainly not the right person to explain this but to be honest i had as many if not more "wow" moments while playing this game than while playing crysis and those "wow" moments were for completely different reasons, on crysis i'm surprised that it seems so real, here, i'm surprised it seems so beautiful! On to gameplay! Gameplay isn't phenomenal and i'd say it's the weakest part of the game, that's not to say it's bad, no! not by any stretch of imagination, it just doesn't manage to keep up with the rest of the game, gameplay is entertaining but nothing more.... The story, the story is phenomenal, the settings, and the way you interact with elizabeth, they're all exceptionally good! overall this game is a masterpiece and in my opinion will be one the defining games this gen... i was mesmerized by this game and i'll go through it again for sure!

Note: don't want to spoil anything but the ending is awesome :D
  19. Apr 16, 2013
    Summary: Game is an enjoyable play through, a must play for heavy gamers, but that does not mean it is without holes.

Pros: -Stock graphics. While other games may be better on high end systems and modded out Bioshocks stock graphics are good and enjoyable wit a different art style -Detailed game world. There are details everywhere that immerse you in the game, if you stop by people

Pros:
    -Detailed game world. There are details everywhere that immerse you in the game, if you stop by people they have conversations, if you stop by a table your companion will look at the items instead of staring off. The way the story builds throughout in minor pieces is good.

Cons
    -Guns. You can only carry 2 guns at a time which is a big problem to me. I dont have a problem with only 2 but there is no way to switch out. you just have to randomly pick up guns as you go. While you can use the carry load excuse it doesnt help when you can carrpy as much as ammo as you want (up to a max) the variety in weapons also isnt great and you will just use the OP sniper most of time as the enemies just sit back.
    -Not many battles. There are maybe only 10 real shooting scenes in the game. and when you have the last one you don't even know its the last and isn't special at all.
  20. Apr 14, 2013
    This is my first Bioshock experience and I am underwhealmed. The graphics are nice but sloppy in places. The game itself is muddled and way too easy. There are reviewers stating this is a revolutionary FPS experience. That blows my mind!! The two games I previously completed Far Cry 3 and Borderlands 2 were both far superior to this in gameplay and complexity. I did like the quantumThis is my first Bioshock experience and I am underwhealmed. The graphics are nice but sloppy in places. The game itself is muddled and way too easy. There are reviewers stating this is a revolutionary FPS experience. That blows my mind!! The two games I previously completed Far Cry 3 and Borderlands 2 were both far superior to this in gameplay and complexity. I did like the quantum physics aspect to the plot but they don't explain enough. And like I said the game world and environments are decent. Overall just an average shooter. Expand
  21. Mar 27, 2013
    I really cannot see how anybody can say anything bad about this game. It is, without a doubt, the best FPS game I have played since the time when Halo 3 was the king of FPS games. While Halo 3 still sits upon the throne as the best FPS game I've played ever; BioShock Infinite is the closest a game has ever come to dethroning Halo 3. This game comes as close to perfection as you can get. ItI really cannot see how anybody can say anything bad about this game. It is, without a doubt, the best FPS game I have played since the time when Halo 3 was the king of FPS games. While Halo 3 still sits upon the throne as the best FPS game I've played ever; BioShock Infinite is the closest a game has ever come to dethroning Halo 3. This game comes as close to perfection as you can get. It tells you a story that doesn't seem to make much sense, at first but becomes more and more clear as you near the conclusion (which is a good thing). The gameplay never felt stale with 8 different vigors and an impressive arsenal of firearms. Elizabeth is an NPC companion that is actually very useful which is very rare in games lately (need I remind anybody of Sheva from RE5 or Ashley from RE4?). The only two MINOR problems I do have with this game that keep it from utter perfection is: No new game mode and you can only have two guns equipped. The problem with only having two guns at a time is all the guns are amazing and having to chose which two you want, at times, can be a very difficult choice to make. In the end, I thoroughly enjoyed BioShock Infinite and will be playing through again and again until I find absolutely everything this game has to offer. Expand
  22. May 15, 2013
    The game that managed to attract the attention of the masses.

The game that managed to attract the attention of the masses.

By today standards, games are categorized in sub-genres that belong to other sub-genres making something "Unique" impossible in this era. Reviews are often skewed because of the erroneous approach reviewers take. Games are now compared to one another, and judged on perspective. This method would be the ideal method to criticize a game in a perfect world, where a perfect game could exist and we could compare anything to it and simply measure up. Sadly that is just wishful thinking and we live in an imperfect world full of imperfect people and imperfect scores.
    To the matter, the game Bioshock: Infinite cannot, be a unique game, it is just not possible in any way. I have read time and time again how Bioshock: Infinite is a copy paste of it's predecessors and so on, but the part that reviewers neglect to see is that a brand is a brand for one thing, it is easily recognized, it has a theme and therefore sticks to its core. If Bioshock Infinite were to not resemble Bioshock in any way, we would have a list of complains about how the game wasn't a "Bioshock" title.
    Games should not be compared to each other, it clouds vision and impairs judgement. This is the reason why I can say Bioshock Infinite is not an RPG, nor an FPS.
    "Bioshock Infinite was/is Bioshock Infinite and nothing more."

--Combat: The combat in this game was fun but gets repetitive by the time you approach the ending. It is loud and messy, nothing bad with that but I see ways it could have been improved greatly by changing a few things such as more interactive environment, and possibly a bit more "freedom" not necessarily non-linear but a bit of freedom is always welcome.

--Gameplay: Enjoyably and easy to get used to. It doesn't take much to be immersed in the world of Columbia. The voice acting fits nicely with the situations and provides a smooth gaming session. Speed varied according to the situation, fast during action/combat and slow during interactive cut scenes and some dialogue.

--Graphics: The cartoonish, steampunk theme went rather nice together, and to an extend I dare to say It reminded me of Dishonored, The textures were good where they mattered (occasionally you can find bad patches of low res textured in hidden places). Overall it is visually pleasing.

--Story: This is where the game shines. The story of this game can be easily categorized to the user in two different groups. Amazing and Boring. I have heard both sides to the argument over the story of Bioshock Infinite and after a really good moment of observation I can conclude that the more ignorant the person, the boring the story gets. Nice and simple as that. Sorry for not sugar coating, but I am not here for that. The story of Columbia revolves around concepts and theories that exist in our world, in other words, Bioshock Infinite puts some of said theories to practice and reveal a probable view of those theories. The story requires a high amount of attention to detail and if you can't pick up, you know what category you fall under. On the other hand, if you can grasp even the basics of the core elements of the story, you are in for great enjoyment and continuous amusement and awe.

--I could go on with categories but I believe the four mentioned are the most important. The game itself is a great title, a title worth playing and burning a few brain cells over trying to understand the twist and turns flooding the story. a game 10/10 doesn't exist yet and chances are that game will never exist, there isn't such thing as a perfect 10, but we can only hope to aim close. The game has some faults here and there that I can just wish I could change to fit my liking, but seeing how that is not possible at the moment I'll let it slide into a general opinion.

Personal Score 9/10.
    I recommend, as I have with friends, to play the game only if thrills are your thing, recommend to the one with a bit of witts to understand puzzles, and complex thinking.
    Try to approach the game as a game of its own, do not taint a rather good game with expectations, senseless labeling and comparisons. Play the game, have fun, and move on in the quest for the perfect game.
  23. Apr 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. From all the hype since the sneak-peek at this game in 2010, I was really expecting a masterpiece. Instead, we are presented with a game that seems to get less fun the more you play it and in all honestly, I eventually found myself playing the game as much as possible, just to get it over and done with. The graphics are fantastic, the city architecture is outstanding, but Bioshock Infinite's shortfalls are quite unappealing. Firstly, the patriot/religious theme goes from interesting to overused within the first 2 hours of the game. Secondly, the railing system is underused. You can only rail at designated locations which adds to the already extremely linear plot and does not even allow you to explore the wonderful city as freely as what you would like. This means that all the effort into the landscape and buildings is just backdrop instead of allowing it to be a reality that you can move around however you like. Thirdly, the plot of the story starts off a little shaky, but by the end of the game I had no idea what the hell was going on, and due to the ridiculous story-line and constant change in Elizabeth's behaviour, I couldn't have cared less. You would also expect your game-long sidekick to be of some use, but she never once assists with enemies at all. She has got to be the most useless side-kick of any game, only offering you extra supplies at random intervals which you need to actually take a break from shooting, look towards her, catch the supplies and then carry on. While enemies are allowed to continue taking free hits. Finishing the game gives more relief than awe. The enemies AI, although not terrible, isn't great either. The game is completely linear apart from 'optional quests' which allow you to find codes that decrypt certain messages written on walls to allow you into a secret room. The weapons are boring and not too many. The magic powers, although fun at the start, become useless later on in the game and only 3 are actually effective later on. You can collect lockpicks to unlock secret areas, however later on in the game, there are so few secret areas that you will probably finish the game with 20+ lockpicks. Did I saw wtf is up with the ending?? I really expected more from this game. Or in this sense, less. Expand
  24. Mar 28, 2013
    I finally finished the campaign after 19 well spent hours of exploration...

(some of those spent redoing massive shooting battles of death, and at least 3 of those on one specific battle by the end of the game... but anyway~) ...and I've got to say: this game deserves a score of 10 for the whole experience, but gets a 9 for some minor problems: non-optimized mouse gamepad axis
    I finally finished the campaign after 19 well spent hours of exploration...

non-optimized mouse gamepad axis sensivity, bad FOV, fake "modern" shooter challenge in the form of infinite soldiers, repeated guns just to reinforce a plot device, position bugs glitches, bad collision box, some plot inconsistencies.

All other aspects voice acting, gameplay, graphics, scenery, environment, appeal, etecetera deserve a 10 without a doubt.
  25. Apr 2, 2013
    PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW BEFORE READING ANY OF THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS

PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW BEFORE READING ANY OF THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS

Bioshock Infinite was exactly what it needed to be. It was a Bioshock game that was also the third game in a series. It had many characteristics of the original games in it, but it also had many new features that a third game needs to have. To all of the people that were complaining about it being too linear I say they must not have tried to explore. Plus, you must not have played the original games, because it was just as linear as the originals. If the story line was confusing to you, I can understand why you didn't like it. It was a really well told story that was as original as a story can be these days. Everything has been done under the sun.

The game play was similar and yet different from the first two games. It had to be that way because if it was exactly the same as the first game, then people would complain about that. As I said, it was what it needed to be. To the people that complain that it is just not a believable story, then A) you must not have played through the game completely (or you weren't really paying attention) or B) Your completely over thinking it and I bet that you hate science fiction games/movies in general. If it is really that hard to believe, then I don't understand how you liked the first two games (if you did, and if you didn't then you shouldn't leave a comment) and you should probably go back to non-fiction books. For all of those people who said they don't understand why they should care about the story-line, I say how couldn't you? The very basics of the story are heart breaking. A girl locked up by her father and experimented on? That is engaging by it self. The rest is a ridiculous amount of gravy.

I will say that the enemies were a bit repetitive. I get that. Wasn't the first game's enemies? I agree that the Handymen (Big Dadies) were not too common, but they had other things to fight in there place, and plus they would have gotten old if they had been common. The controls were not clunky, they just were not what your used to. Don't be lazy and fix them, I did and it improved my skill and experience immensely.

To those complaining about the graphics, what games that have come out recently have better graphics? Sure, there are games with better graphics, like Battlefield 3, but those graphics wouldn't have added anything to the game. The graphics that the game had were exactly the quality that it need to look good, add to the experience, but not take away from the game play (aka killing Frames Per Second or making some peoples computers not be able to play it at all).

To sum up, most of the things that people are complaining about are pointless, laziness, misunderstanding, or just simply ridiculous. This game is amazing, not quite perfect but pretty close. Get this game. I recommend playing the first one at least if you haven't already.
  26. May 3, 2013
    BioShock is an awesome game that most people should have already known about. It might not feature Big Daddy like usual (Well, at least where i'm up to) but it is a must play for all shooter fans.
  27. Apr 13, 2013
    Story was great...game looks good...tons of thought went into the universe...but gameplay was repetitive. Seriously those rails are the worst idea ever...they added nothing but frustration to the experience. I get why people dig it...not for me...

I was counting down the minutes to watching the credits roll
  28. Mar 27, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite I came in to this game knowing it would be good. But what I played was amazing. This game was gorgeous and the gunplay far surpassed that of the first Bioshock. But I still had my doubhts going through the gameand trying to see If it had the ability to overpass the original. Well it didnt at least not until the last three hours this game went from being goty to theBioshock Infinite I came in to this game knowing it would be good. But what I played was amazing. This game was gorgeous and the gunplay far surpassed that of the first Bioshock. But I still had my doubhts going through the gameand trying to see If it had the ability to overpass the original. Well it didnt at least not until the last three hours this game went from being goty to the greatest game of all time. The ending blew my mind It made me feel what was goin on this game is a masterpiece. Ken Levine deserves a spot as one of the greatest gaming names of all time and for ah man who isnt religous he sure brought a piece of heaven to everyone. Expand
  29. Apr 11, 2013
    Irrational Games really pour their heart and soul to make a game that they believed in. BioShock Infinite allows players to think, question and imagine a world where one ideal city that can be both gorgeous but ugly as well. It is a beautiful example of an interactive storytelling that has great visuals and innovative game play as well. Hardcore and traditional FPS fans might not beIrrational Games really pour their heart and soul to make a game that they believed in. BioShock Infinite allows players to think, question and imagine a world where one ideal city that can be both gorgeous but ugly as well. It is a beautiful example of an interactive storytelling that has great visuals and innovative game play as well. Hardcore and traditional FPS fans might not be satisfied with this new style of shooter but if you approach this game with a fresh perspective in mind, you will really enjoy what this game has to offer. It is a must play for anyone who is a fan of games. Expand
  30. Mar 31, 2013
    Wow what can I say Bioshock infinite takes you along for a ride. The graphics are so amazing, the story line is so freakin amazing. I love Elizabeth she is so smart, and sexy. She never gets in the way of the gameplay, and she never leaves you side. Everything is spot on. I haven't beat this game yet, but I can say I know I will be replaying it a lot. I love how this game messes with myWow what can I say Bioshock infinite takes you along for a ride. The graphics are so amazing, the story line is so freakin amazing. I love Elizabeth she is so smart, and sexy. She never gets in the way of the gameplay, and she never leaves you side. Everything is spot on. I haven't beat this game yet, but I can say I know I will be replaying it a lot. I love how this game messes with my emotions. Its hard to find a game these days that isn't trying to be another call of duty (call of duty is so repetitive, you know they are just taking your money with all the same stuff just revamped) This game is simply a piece of artwork. I would recommend this game to anyone!!! Expand
  31. Apr 14, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a good game, but not great. Combat is interesting for a while, but gets stale after a few hours of play. The story is good, but very linear, which also leads to the point of not much replay value. You feel some connection to the characters, but almost all your time is spent shooting small groups of bad guys and searching through trash cans for loot in between theseBioshock Infinite is a good game, but not great. Combat is interesting for a while, but gets stale after a few hours of play. The story is good, but very linear, which also leads to the point of not much replay value. You feel some connection to the characters, but almost all your time is spent shooting small groups of bad guys and searching through trash cans for loot in between these fights. Although I enjoyed the ending, I did feel that the freedom the first half of the game offered was better than the second half. My recommendation is to borrow it from a friend or wait for the price to drop. Expand
  32. Apr 19, 2013
    BioShock Infinite looks nice, and that's about it... its is extremely over-hyped and no where close to earning a 10/10 rating. This game is a 7/10 at best and here's why.

First off lets start with the obvious false advertising, you may have seen the awesome looking TV commercial and thought to yourself, hey this game looks cool... well too bad that the TV commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbRUTSeafcc is of content that is not found anywhere in the actual game.

Secondly there is a 2 weapon carry limit, this normally wouldn't be a problem but the ammo clip sizes are extremely small even when fully upgraded. To offset this the developers decided to put ammo-vending machines every 10 feet in the game levels so you never have to go far or out of your way... kinda lame.

Thirdly is almost all of the vigor's found in the game are copy and paste versions of each other with the exception of two of them. There is little need to switch between any more than 2 vigor's for the entire course of the game since they virtually and literally all do the exact same thing and have the exact same secondary function.

Fourthly there are literally no side quests and or puzzles in this game. There will be a few instances where you find a key and need to back track 3/4 of a level to unlock a treasure chest, but that is pretty much the extent of your side questing in BioShock Infinite. There are also a few doors to hidden loot that wont open with out you hitting an object with the assigned vigor power. The lack of puzzle solving and side quests makes this experience feel very underwhelming.

Fifthly there are no major boss fights in this game, none, zero... some people will argue that you do infact participate in one boss battle mid way through the game, but I digress. At no point in this game are you faced with an "OMG I have to fight that?" moment.

Sixth is the fact that there is no multiplayer or co-op aspect to this game at all. There isn't even a section in the main menu for solo play skill challenges or time attack type modes, all you get is a story mode, that's it no other bells or whistles.

The average gamer will spend anywhere from 9-12 hours on normal setting. While the game may look fantastic, it is a very short ride with not a lot of replay value. The lack of any puzzles, side quests, boss battles, exploration, etc. makes this game feel very hollow and empty.

I cannot justify giving this game a 10/10, this is the current flavour of the month as far as gaming goes, BioShock Infinite does not break any new ground as far as FPS games go, it just looks nice. If vanity is all you care about then yes I guess you could look past all the other glaring issues with this game and blindly give it a 10/10.
  33. Mar 29, 2013
    "Bioshock Infinite" combines clever gameplay with dynamic action and usefull AI. The story is mindblowing from start to finish, Elizabeth will help you out in combat without making it to easy, Vigors and Salts work better than Plasmids and Eve, and the atmosphere is breathtaking. The only minor downside in my opinion, is that in very few moments, the voice work and the character's emotion"Bioshock Infinite" combines clever gameplay with dynamic action and usefull AI. The story is mindblowing from start to finish, Elizabeth will help you out in combat without making it to easy, Vigors and Salts work better than Plasmids and Eve, and the atmosphere is breathtaking. The only minor downside in my opinion, is that in very few moments, the voice work and the character's emotion don't fully match, but besides from that it's a wonderfull game. Expand
  34. Apr 7, 2013
    JoeyVinor was frimponged.... Quite a great game, gameplay was great, controls are smooth, vigors are cool, weapons are nice, LOOOVVEEE SKYLINES, and melee action was nice, it is a long game, I loved skyhooks, Elizabeth was very convenient! I also appreciate a woman who appreciates valuuuuues! Plot was great, simple, give the girl, wipe away the debt, dassit XD. Awesome. I love alternateJoeyVinor was frimponged.... Quite a great game, gameplay was great, controls are smooth, vigors are cool, weapons are nice, LOOOVVEEE SKYLINES, and melee action was nice, it is a long game, I loved skyhooks, Elizabeth was very convenient! I also appreciate a woman who appreciates valuuuuues! Plot was great, simple, give the girl, wipe away the debt, dassit XD. Awesome. I love alternate Booker and Lizzies! Luteces were awesome, but moar interesting, I love how they gave awesome banter! I love even moar how they are alternate forms of each other. I mean man, who has time for all dat paperwork!? But I love the bird and cage, the Vox were interesting, although Fitzroy was a XD. I like Lizzie's love for Paris, at times she was adorable! I love how she used Jack's wrench! Man oh man was Lizzie, such a but Booker kind of earned a wrench2dahface! Loved Rapture appearance! Handy men were cool. Music was great, I was almost shed a tear with the choir Circle Beyond Broken. Sound was great, awesome special effects. I loved the shields! 1 more thing, the end was meh, but after the credits was so cool! (NOT SPOILIN)! Flaws, well, some stuff seemed too Bioshock1-2eeeze, it is mostly different, I liked Devil's Kiss, but it is an awful lot like incinerate, seemed like ideas were at a mid to low. Also, the 1st part of ending really DID SUCK! Also, I was slightly disappointed finding out the direction you went did not effect the end More about Bioshock1-2eeeze stuff, big daddies, handy men, any similarities? YES. No little sister equiv, nearly my fav part of 1 and 2.I think they should have scrapped most handy men and put more of a ls equiv. NOW more good stuff, Columbia is marginally better than Rapture (in my view). I loved when Booker said, "An Underwater City? What a joke!" Or something like that. I laughed. I also wish 1999 mode could be something besides a higher difficulty, like put some 1999eeeze stuff... SO.....
    Gameplay-9/10
    Plot-8.2/10
    Presentation-8.3/10
    Lasting-8.9/10
    Sound-8.5/10
    Overall-8.4/10 (Round down to an 8.0)
  35. Mar 27, 2013
    I don't even know where to begin. I was left completely baffled after this game. I always liked the trailers but I didn't really go into the game with too high expectations, boy was I in for a pleasant surprise. Everything about the game as a whole is spot-on perfect; beautiful visuals, amazingly innovative area and level design, enjoyable and fluent combat with guns that simply feel rightI don't even know where to begin. I was left completely baffled after this game. I always liked the trailers but I didn't really go into the game with too high expectations, boy was I in for a pleasant surprise. Everything about the game as a whole is spot-on perfect; beautiful visuals, amazingly innovative area and level design, enjoyable and fluent combat with guns that simply feel right and last but definitely not least, the story. I don't think a game has sucked me into it with this caliber for a long, long time, and after finishing the game I depart with it with a sad feeling, knowing that I would likely not experience a masterpiece like this for a very very long time, and that my standard for games has been lifted much, much higher.

It would be a crime not to buy BioShock Infinite and experience it, for this game is certainly one of the best if not THE best game of 2013, we will see.
  36. Apr 4, 2013
    With amazingly fun gameplay, one of the best stories ever, and a companion that you actually want to escort, this is going to be one of the best games this year. A must buy in my opinion.
  37. Mar 27, 2013
    Pros -Best companion ever in any video game I have played, I am totally in love with Elizabeth. -Amazing graphics, amazing depth and amazing gameplay. -Outstanding presentation & exposition of themes such as religion, racism, nationalism, socialism & space time physics. -The best part are the psychological that surpasses every other psychological I have seen in any form of media in veryPros -Best companion ever in any video game I have played, I am totally in love with Elizabeth. -Amazing graphics, amazing depth and amazing gameplay. -Outstanding presentation & exposition of themes such as religion, racism, nationalism, socialism & space time physics. -The best part are the psychological that surpasses every other psychological I have seen in any form of media in very long time and I mean this in a good way. Cons
    -Lack of a quick save and the lack of manual save in non-1999 mode. All in all
    -Bioshock Infinite is easily the best game I have ever played in my entire life so far. It deserves all the awards and praises it is getting at the moment. It lived up to its hype and one of the few AAA games that actually deserve a day one purchase. Well done to Ken Levine & Co at Irrational
  38. Apr 3, 2013
    Almost magical. 5.1 surround and a GTX560 on super high. I loved it from A to Z. Loved the ending,loved the gameplay, loved the soundtrack, loved the feeling of been in another world literally. Loved the acting, all the little details everywhere. Loved the difficulty, the enemies, the smoothness of the fighting /guns/vigor/rails. Only minor things I would have changed, like still inAlmost magical. 5.1 surround and a GTX560 on super high. I loved it from A to Z. Loved the ending,loved the gameplay, loved the soundtrack, loved the feeling of been in another world literally. Loved the acting, all the little details everywhere. Loved the difficulty, the enemies, the smoothness of the fighting /guns/vigor/rails. Only minor things I would have changed, like still in 2013, players have no legs. Many games pulled it off nicely like bf3 and others, I really don't get it. the repetitive same faces, but still, this deserve a 10/10. Expand
  39. Mar 26, 2013
    This is an amazing game. It deliveres everything that other shooters do not. 1. An amazing Story which i will not spoil. 2. Amazing graphics that fit the atmosphere perfectly. 3. NO BUGS SO FAR!!! Never thought the day would come when i would play a game on release without any bugs. 4. Superb gameplay: amazing levels, weapons, means of transportation so on and so on. I could go on but iThis is an amazing game. It deliveres everything that other shooters do not. 1. An amazing Story which i will not spoil. 2. Amazing graphics that fit the atmosphere perfectly. 3. NO BUGS SO FAR!!! Never thought the day would come when i would play a game on release without any bugs. 4. Superb gameplay: amazing levels, weapons, means of transportation so on and so on. I could go on but i desperately want to continue playing. And 2k was nice enough to give me Bioshock 1 and xcom: enemy unknown for FREE!!!!! Expand
  40. Mar 27, 2013
    An incredible addition to the Bioshock series! Where to start....

Graphically this game is beautiful. First jumping into the world of Colombia gave me very much the same feeling of awe as the first Bioshock did with Rapture. The scenes seem to drastically change with the tone of the story, and overall it feels very free and unrestricted. The sound in the game was one of my favorite
    An incredible addition to the Bioshock series! Where to start....

The sound in the game was one of my favorite aspects. I don't know why Levine chose some of the songs that he did, but it made me EXTREMELY happy to hear one of them in particular. Elizabeth converses with you while you are walking from one point to another and it's NOT useless prattle, but actual conversation that progresses the story. I liked how the tapes (Virophones) pause if you engage in conversation or if something that was more important starts up, because the tapes in Bioshock did not do that.

Controls The first time I used the sky hook was scary!!!! But two seconds later I remember shouting to my roommates how awesome it was. It has a seamless combination with FPS combat as well, giving many combat scenarios much more meat to them.

The story has really set me to thinking. If there is one thing I can say, play the first Bioshock, please. You really get the full impact of the story if you play with first game before finishing Infinite. I want so badly to talk about the progression of Booker, and how mind blowing the end feels, but spoiler free review says you will have to play the game.

I had really high hopes for this game, and though it was a short game (I finished it with 100% completion in 9-ish hours) I feel it has more than met those expectations. It was everything I hold the Bioshock series to and more. 10/10
  41. Mar 27, 2013
    ГОДА.
    Интересная сюжетом.
    Сфежий CoD-ов
  42. Mar 29, 2013
    This is an absolute artistic masterpiece with characters that will stay in your memory. for the first time in years, I feel that the sequel equaled or surpassed the original. Bioshock 2 was nothing to remember or even care about playing. I never made it past the first few scenes. But This game gripped me from the start and held on till the ride was over. That is what I look for in aThis is an absolute artistic masterpiece with characters that will stay in your memory. for the first time in years, I feel that the sequel equaled or surpassed the original. Bioshock 2 was nothing to remember or even care about playing. I never made it past the first few scenes. But This game gripped me from the start and held on till the ride was over. That is what I look for in a good game

It was a short game, but you can say it's average for a shooter. But the story was deep if you took the time to investigate it. And the ending will grab you by your balls and mind F**K you. One of the best psychological twists I've seen in a game.
  43. Mar 29, 2013
    Anybody that rates this game less than an 8 simply doesn't get it or are trolling. Pity for those people, because they're missing out on a fantastic game. The depth of the story & characters, and the level of immersion in this fantasy city in the sky will keep you glued to your screen. The only reason it didn't get a 10/10 is because the game, while beautiful on a grand scale, has a fewAnybody that rates this game less than an 8 simply doesn't get it or are trolling. Pity for those people, because they're missing out on a fantastic game. The depth of the story & characters, and the level of immersion in this fantasy city in the sky will keep you glued to your screen. The only reason it didn't get a 10/10 is because the game, while beautiful on a grand scale, has a few minor imperfections that show through when viewed up close. I played the PC version on ultra settings and 1080p, and some textures still looked strange up close. Honestly, if I can give it a decimal score, it'd be a 9.8, except I tend to round down Expand
  44. Mar 29, 2013
    probably THE best game i played in my life its not the game of the year its the game of the decade. This game is a masterpiece something that will last for life.
  45. Mar 29, 2013
    Inspiring...more than the original's "Atlas Shrugged" objectivist philosophy..and just damn good to play. Its easy to pick fault graphically etc, but simply enjoyed the achievement of a remarkable world and thoughtful approach to the genre. Had a great time in Columbia.
  46. Mar 29, 2013
    OK, it's my first review, and I register here only because I must write this: many years HL2 be the game number one... until now. I don't want HL3 or HL2 ep 3, after I finish BioShock Infinite. Actually, now I gonna betrayed myself(I protect HL2 many... many times) HL2 sucks. Really. Because BioShock Infinite is a perfect creation: script(this story is one of the best, and am actuallyOK, it's my first review, and I register here only because I must write this: many years HL2 be the game number one... until now. I don't want HL3 or HL2 ep 3, after I finish BioShock Infinite. Actually, now I gonna betrayed myself(I protect HL2 many... many times) HL2 sucks. Really. Because BioShock Infinite is a perfect creation: script(this story is one of the best, and am actually read really good books, characters, Easter eggs, universe e.t.c), game design(the best, actually), soundtrack, balance e.t.c. I don't want new Breaking Bad episode, I don't want new Half-Life, I don't want Dexter final episode, I only want new history in BioShock Infinite universe(I mean in a set of universes) created by Irrational games and Ken Levine. And for people who don't understand "why this game is so high scored?" last 20 minutes blow you mind, and you start this game again. I promise. Expand
  47. Mar 29, 2013
    Art, by its very nature is imperfect, but make no mistake, Bioshock: Infinite is as close as the gaming medium has come thus far. I can't promise you'll like this game, but I can promise it'll be recognized as one of the most important games as the art moves forward.

This game flawlessly uses contrasting moments of interactive narrative and explosively intense gunplay unlike any game before it. Zipping around the Skylines was surprisingly intuitive and intensely satisfying, while the vigors (akin to magic) and encounter design keep battles fresh and exhilerating even on a third
    playthrough. Unlike most modern shooters, Infinite rewards the player on an intellectual level both in combat and narrative, touching on subjects such as the idea of American Exceptionalism, Racism and String Theory. There's not really a lot more that can be said about such a narrative-driven experience without ruining it, and it's definitely an experience you don't want ruined.

Just two pieces of advice; play on PC if you have a good system, and wait through the credits ay the end of Coutnee and Troy's "Will the Circle be Unbroken."
  48. Mar 29, 2013
    Completely amazing game. The story is great and Elizabeth is the most relatable video game character I've ever come across. She's not just another NPC that you drag around, she's a person who you get to know. She helps you out in battle, she talks to you, she relates with you. Elizabeth makes this game. The only (minor) qualm I have with this game is the saving system. You can only loadCompletely amazing game. The story is great and Elizabeth is the most relatable video game character I've ever come across. She's not just another NPC that you drag around, she's a person who you get to know. She helps you out in battle, she talks to you, she relates with you. Elizabeth makes this game. The only (minor) qualm I have with this game is the saving system. You can only load your most recent checkpoint, and there's no clear indication of when that was. You can't quicksave or quickload, and you can't save previous saves. This prevents you from going back to re-do an area differently or to make a different decision without outright playing the game again. Because of this, I'd give it a 9.5/10 if I could, but Metacritic only allows whole numbers, so I rounded it up to a 10. All in all, an amazing experience. Expand
  49. Mar 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is legendary. The plot ism complex, the character's emotions and acting are something you would see in a Award-Winning movie, and the art is simply astonishing. This is one of the few games that really get you thinking...that being said, this game will have a long lifespan and will be talked about for ages to come. The A.I are absolutely brilliant! Elizabeth didn't frustrate me at all during the game, she helped me when I was just about dead or needed some salts. This game will have some controversy because it touches on subjects that no game has ever before bu that's good! This game is fresh and unique and all I can say is, THIS IS the first next-gen game. Sure there is some driver problems but that's the graphic card manufactures faults and they will release patches in the coming days. If you're reading this review all I can tell you to do is to stop whatever it is you may be doing and PURCHASE this game, Irrational deserves it. The ending is even more captivating than the game itself...That's all I'm telling you. Expand
  50. Apr 1, 2013
    This game is highly overrated in my opinion for a few reasons only
    The combat system is boring, you barely have enough salts to use even your weakest spells more than 8 times.
    that and the fact that you are capable of taking with you only two weapons at every given time makes the combat in this game very weak. the storyline is awesome and the characters in this game have really likable
    This game is highly overrated in my opinion for a few reasons only
    the storyline is awesome and the characters in this game have really likable personalities overall, except for booker, he was extremely generic and unappealing.
    Columbia is huge, however it's boring.
    there are some very awesome enemies in this game, but they are very repetitive and they have crapton of health, and i found this to be very irritating.
    All in All, this game is solid, however it has a lot of drawback.
  51. Apr 1, 2013
    As others have said, this game is a masterpiece, but like most masterpieces it's not without flaws. The first thing you will notice is that it is visually stunning. I found myself in awe of its beauty over and over as the story progressed through various environments. The portrayal and development of characters was superb. The game unfolds like a road movie- you're on a greatAs others have said, this game is a masterpiece, but like most masterpieces it's not without flaws. The first thing you will notice is that it is visually stunning. I found myself in awe of its beauty over and over as the story progressed through various environments. The portrayal and development of characters was superb. The game unfolds like a road movie- you're on a great journey with a companion, and your relationship has its ups and downs. Elizabeth is so convincingly brought to life that you'll find yourself talking to the screen, and when the journey is over you'll miss her. The gameplay is great fun. The weapons and character abilities are innovative and a blast to use. They are simple to use but difficult to master, and you'll want to replay the game once you get the hang of things. In many ways, this game raises the bar for game developers. The team that created this obviously poured out their heart and soul and it shows at every turn, but having said that, it's not perfect. You don't get to choose or design the character you play, the part is thrust on you. A lot of times I felt that I was playing the role of a bit of a jerk. The biggest flaw in the game is that it's linear and you really can't make any meaningful choices in how things eventually play out- you're basically along for the ride. It tells a story, and once you learn the ending it doesn't get any fresher in subsequent play-throughs. Expand
  52. Apr 16, 2013
    I don't get it.
    So many 10's... "sets a new bar"..."amazing graphics"... "incredible storytelling"... huh ?
    Maybe it's because I finished Far Cry 3 the day before, or just exited Battlefield 3 before I installed this game, but the graphics and gameplay leave so much to be desired. The rail system was great... I just wish I had to use them more. Except for a couple times they are
    I don't get it.

The rail system was great... I just wish I had to use them more. Except for a couple times they are pretty much optional. Same for Vigors. I hardly used them the whole game, except for when they were first introduced and you were told to try them. Tears could have been a bit more involved, and optional... what's wrong with letting us choose to use them sometimes, even if it meant setting us back a bit..

Half of the game was "run and gun", with low ammo weapons... other half was cut scenes or long distance hikes to go back to where you just came from. Fights were not hard considering you revive in the exact location of the fight, and your enemies were not revived much. It's just a matter of constantly shooting, no matter how many deaths it takes you to beat them.

I was finally fighting the best battle of them all, on the airship, and then went to the longest cut scene of any game in history (with a couple of "Press 'E' thrown in to make me think I was actually controlling something, lol) only to find out that was the end of the game.

By no means am I discounting other opinions, but I just don't see what everyone else is seeing.

Short game, easy battles (thanks to instant revive in exact spot you died), mediocre cartoon graphics.
    But the music was great I sat in the first temple listening to the gospel choir for a long time), and Elizabeth was a great help in the game. Very clever AI with her. Sadly no "Citra" situation with her (but then we find out why).

I overpaid at $40.... this more of a $15 game, at best.

I had started Bioshock 1 previously, but if this is "Bioshock" I will pass on the rest and wait for Far Cry 4.
  53. Apr 2, 2013
    I was very excited for this game, and rightfully so. I cannot deny it's beauty, it's tummy tickling steam punk mythos and it's violent action. For the most part I had alot of fun, and enjoyed the story to an extent. Despite all the good aspects of this game, the negatives is what brings the score down below all the raves it's receiving by the majority of the gaming community. The storyI was very excited for this game, and rightfully so. I cannot deny it's beauty, it's tummy tickling steam punk mythos and it's violent action. For the most part I had alot of fun, and enjoyed the story to an extent. Despite all the good aspects of this game, the negatives is what brings the score down below all the raves it's receiving by the majority of the gaming community. The story had the chance to be something amazing, but it's pace seemed somewhat forced and monotone.... and the climatic ending(which was the only real climax) was extremely "unclimatic" in my personal opinion. I feel as if the story could have been so much more, especially with an extension of good, solid playtime. From start to finish, this game is an average of 8 to 12 hours total play time. For 60 dollars, that's a major sell short for me personally. I think the story could have bloomed into so much more, with spaced out re-visits with a better attention to details/unlocks. The lack of total storyl ine gameplay time also brings in a sense of "incompleteness" as you will be unable to fully unlock the plethora of powers/weapon upgrades that are available in the game. I understand from the devs perspective that they wanted to add replayability by choosing different weapon and power upgrades with each play through, but with the story's pace and briefness, I can only see most gamers getting 2 or 3 play throughs before putting Bioshock Infinite down for good.

I sincerely hope that quality DLC may be able to breath that small bit of extra life into the game that it so desperately needs, but I cross my fingers that it won't be too little too late. By the time it would come around, I as I can imagine most will have moved on to new or other games which may raise the bar and overshadow this brief champion of the "now".
  54. Apr 3, 2013
    What a game, blew my mind. From the beginning to end, the visuals were outstanding, and what drove the game was not the gameplay but the bautiful scenery and characters. Well deserved 10/10
  55. Apr 3, 2013
    In my opinion, to truly enjoy and understand Bioshock Infinite, you need to play through it twice, which I did and enjoyed greatly. I was disappointed at the weapon system, but using that 8th vigor (no spoilers for you) really was great fun, the theme was in tune considerably, a city stuck onto Colonial America, etc and it really shows that, something other games that touch upon theIn my opinion, to truly enjoy and understand Bioshock Infinite, you need to play through it twice, which I did and enjoyed greatly. I was disappointed at the weapon system, but using that 8th vigor (no spoilers for you) really was great fun, the theme was in tune considerably, a city stuck onto Colonial America, etc and it really shows that, something other games that touch upon the subject water down to an extent.

As for the gameplay, it was perfect, I'm surprised to see such a considerable amount of negative reviews myself. I think they just need to go back to Call of Duty if you ask me.

Anyway, my point is, great game, great fun. Was worth it, you will also need to play it twice to understand the ending too.
  56. Apr 4, 2013
    I can't recall the last time I was drawn into a game as well as in Bioshock Infinite. Even the earlier entries took me a while to really get into, but Infinite just clicked with me the minute I started it up.

The city of Columbia truly looks amazing, and makes for a great visual contrast to Rapture. Anybody who is saying that the game has bad graphics is clearly only paying attention to the raw graphical fidelity (which isn't the best we've seen recently, but it could be far worse) and missing the great aesthetic design that has been put into this game.

The gameplay is almost a carbon-copy of the first two games, and it works just as well, if not better in Infinite. Instead of Plasmids from Bioshock 1 and 2, Infinite introduces Vigors which work almost the same, but instead have very different effects from Plasmids, creating very good tactical mixes between them. The two weapon limit is a little disappointing, but overall the gameplay is still very solid and it lives up to it's predecessors.

As expected of a Bioshock game, the game tells a fantastic and engaging story. Although, much of the story can be missed, as the majority of it is told through voxophones, which are Infinite's version of the previous games' audio diaries.

Despite a few flaws, Bioshock Infinite is still one of the best games released in recent years, and well worth buying, especially for fans of the previous games.
  57. Apr 4, 2013
    The graphics is the best I have seen in a while and the story brings it up to what I would call a masterpiece, but it has some minor downfalls. Looting corpses went to far and lacking of puzzles, but it doesn't ruin the game experience.
  58. Apr 21, 2013
    Personally, I don't see what all the critical acclaim is about. I'm an avid Bioshock fan and I thought the first one was fantastic. Second one was nowhere near as good but had some great moments and it was great for fans wanting more from the Bioshock universe. However, for all the rich storyline details and a wealth of subject matter that makes you think about the gritty details, I feelPersonally, I don't see what all the critical acclaim is about. I'm an avid Bioshock fan and I thought the first one was fantastic. Second one was nowhere near as good but had some great moments and it was great for fans wanting more from the Bioshock universe. However, for all the rich storyline details and a wealth of subject matter that makes you think about the gritty details, I feel Infinite has failed to live up to expectations in more than one area.

I am not going to mention spoilers as the story is the strong point within a very linear product. Not that replay ability has ever bothered me, but there is zero chance of returning to this game once completed and that's not just because of the story and how it unfolds, this is due to the filler sections that are a chore to play through first time round. This, in my honest opinion makes this game worth less than the full retail price.

Secondly, the graphics are standard. As a member has already mentioned they have filled the game with lighting, bloom and post processing trickery that tries to hide the graphical short comings. I am playing on a top spec PC and I am pisappointed when comparing Infinite to other games on offer.

Lastly, the final nail in the coffin for me was the combat. I felt like I was back in 2007 with the only upgraded features worth mentioning being the combination of vigors and better weapon physics.

Having just finished Dead Space 3 (an evolution for a series although many disagree), MoH War fighter (how that got 35% from PCGamer UK is beyond me) and Max Payne 3, Infinite was a game I felt I had to complete just so I could uninstall. The other games I have mentioned were a blast from start to finish and I didn't want them to end. It is hard to put my finger on what it is about Infinite I really don't like and maybe LIKE is the wrong choice of words... It's not that it is a bad game; it has all the attention and care we have come to expect from Levine and his team. But Infinite, with all its potential to be a gaming masterpiece, played it too safe for me and stuck by a formula that worked in 2007 to 2010 but today, is a storyline the only thing that pushes games forward? I personally think it a game needs to be a more balanced product that offers a good story line and good gameplay mechanics A game featuring these should be labelled as potential masterpieces.
  59. Apr 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall I liked the game. It was a good attempt at making a bioshock game that was sandbox. It failed in that attempt but it was an attempt.

Graphics are so-so and the engine (modified unreal3 engine) is definitely showing its age. Its got Nvidia physx but the only physx parts are some water effects, your companion's dress and some flags... almost nothing is destroyable (which is where physx really shines), and while playing at 19x12 res on the highest graphical settings this cartoonish looking dx9 game gets somewhere in the neighborhood of 35-45 fps on my Nvidia 670. It really has no reason to get that low of a frame rate since its not rendering very much and what it is rendering is average quality at best. I played all the way through crysis 3 (a dx11 title) on the same settings and dont remember having my frame rate parked in the 30's very often... maybe once or twice. What Im getting at here is for being delayed over a year I was expecting way more than the 2009 wolfenstin remake set in a floating city with a companion thrown in to hit you in the face with stuff you need almost when you need it then steal money from you when you die. Graphics and concept 2 out of 10.

Gameplay is good except for one problem I had with the controls. I use mouse 2 to move forward and I found my character would stick going forward or not move at all if I searched a corpse and hit move forward either immediately before searching (search on the fly) or immediately after searching (search then fly). Which is a true pain in the ass when you're under fire.

I do like the mechanic of her saving you from dying or you walking through a "celestial" door to revive but I fail to see why this should cost me money. The irony here is if you walk up to a vending machine and walk away half the time she will go hey need some cash? and fling money at you. So wait you took money from me to save me just to give it back to me later? Are you some kind of co-dependent or something? overly attached girlfriend is that you?

Then you have the dialogue between the two main characters. I know its set in the early 1900's but your character treats her like 90% of the game then at the end he gets all attached and defensive of her. He was originally going to "rescue" her to bring her to NYC to sell her to pay off a gambling debt! Now he wants to be all buddy buddy with her in the end? Dubya Tee Eff?!

I was playing on the hardest difficulty and while most of the game was still pretty easy I always find it funny when on the hardest diff you pick up a weapon from a guy you just barely managed to kill because his weapon almost killed you in 1 hit, and you shoot his clone with it and it takes an entire mag or more to put the guy down. I'll never understand that idea, and will always question why they dont just send more guys for you to fight on the higher difficulty levels. I guess its just laziness on the coder's part.

Overall though the gameplay isnt horrible for a mostly rail shooter... They have all these achievements that are the only reason it doesnt feel so much like its on rails all the time. But they hardly make it worth the 9 overall score that everyone is giving it. There are very few side quests and they dont yield anything major so you scrounge around for a while finding a code book just to get a power up phial that doesnt do much when 3 hits kills you all the time. The vigors are more of a novelty than a tool and I only used them for a shield and to make a frenemy once in a while. I rarely changed clothing and the item screen was a hassle.

Story wise though I do have to take issue with the one spot where they find a guitar and booker sits down to play it and they do a duet of "will the circle be unbroken" and take out the word God just to be PC about it. The entire game we're hearing God and prophet etc etc... and you choose to mutilate a song that says it? Really? THAT'S your big political stance? A 30 sec blurb of a song played in a back room of a basement?... That is where you had to make a stand? ooook. Also I dont know if I got a different game than everyone else but I didnt get the scene from the commercial where Elizabeth is on the horse about to be hanged and you jump in and save her. Anyone else?

Lastly the end just made no sense to me. I get the multiverse concept but how, if originally Booker sells his daughter to Comstock, is Booker also Comstock? And if you find out that Elizabeth is your daughter all grown up at the end then killing you then wont solve anything. Plus she would cease to exist if you killed Booker/Comstock when he was a baby like they had planned to and the floating city would destroy the world since we wouldnt be there to stop it with her special powers. Which means none of the game would actually happen. I almost literally got a headache trying to figure out what they were doing. I feel weird about this game. The end wasnt cathartic at all it was just weird.
  60. Apr 14, 2013
    Just finished Bioshock Infinite on Hard, and I have to say it's rather easy and fear the "1999" mode would only make the enemies into severe bullet sponges.
    The combat also feels relatively sluggish, the weapons seem bland, I generally chose to stick with the shotgun sniper rifle throughout the entire game, which is the same with the vigors, I tried them all multiple times but Possession and Shock Jockey were the most useful imo.
    The gears seemed more fun and you had quite a nice selection to choose from, although again once I had certain ones I never felt I had to swap them around for different encounters etc.
    The story was nice although rather predictable, it's a great shame there was no real emphasis or implementation of choices, instead what we get is just an average on rails fps, there was so much hope for this game a year ago, and yet what could have been great was scrapped and this is what we get.
  61. Apr 21, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is not over-hyped. Granted you don't need to use more than several vigors and the guns can do most of the work. But it remains leaps ahead of second best in all gameplay regards. You work with balanced and fun weapons, a few favourite vigors (basically of your choosing, so no complaints that they aren't all critical), and fantastic environmental factors many of whichBioshock Infinite is not over-hyped. Granted you don't need to use more than several vigors and the guns can do most of the work. But it remains leaps ahead of second best in all gameplay regards. You work with balanced and fun weapons, a few favourite vigors (basically of your choosing, so no complaints that they aren't all critical), and fantastic environmental factors many of which you control dynamically.

The story is draw-dropping, sit and stare at the screen for hours quality. You will contemplate it for days and feel empty that you can't experience it freshly again. Infinite is clever, funny, and incredibly well thought out. The Lutece twins take the cake wonderful quasi-narrators with their writing's roots in absurdist drama and especially Stoppard's incredible Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

Elizabeth is perfect as both a character and a gameplay mechanic. She will investigate objects, glare at you, hide in fear, and gasp when you do something special. There has never been a more real character and better realised AI in any game. You would scream bloody murder if anyone hurt her but, thankfully, she handles herself and will pull you out oft he fire in the most hectic moments time and time again.

The world is perfect. Infinite doesn't tell you a story you live and breathe a story. It's your story. The world is perceived by where you choose to look, which posters you read, conversations you overhear, and places you choose to go. The pacing is absolutely perfect and the narrative drives well yet doesn't feel linear.

Bioshock Infinite is, simply put, the greatest game of all time.
  62. Apr 18, 2013
    Just about the most damning comment I can make is that Bioshock 2 was better. First, I'll admit that I don't like first person shooters, Call of Modern Warfare just doesn't interest me. I did however love the first Bioshock because in that case the mechanic didn't define the game, yes it used the first person perspective and ostensibly you did shoot things but it wasn't a FPS, instead itJust about the most damning comment I can make is that Bioshock 2 was better. First, I'll admit that I don't like first person shooters, Call of Modern Warfare just doesn't interest me. I did however love the first Bioshock because in that case the mechanic didn't define the game, yes it used the first person perspective and ostensibly you did shoot things but it wasn't a FPS, instead it was more of an Action Adventure a-la Tomb Raider or Uncharted. But Bioshock Infinite feels like the stripped out the everything that didn't work with the FPS genre and turned it in to a very poor FPS. Gone is the hacking minigame that even though it was incongruous with the FPS gameplay was still fun and served as a way to break up the action in the game. Look up 'story arc' and you will see that it is meant to dip at times between various peaks to give the user a breather. In contrast Bioshock Infinite feels like it quickly ramps up to 10 and stays there. One of the most compelling parts of the first Bioshock was the story and the reason it was so effective is that it was both deep and subtle. Bioshock Infinite feels like it is trying for depth but it has completely discarded subtlety and just beats you over the head with head with it. This is a city filled with religious zealots and racists and that's bad m'kay. Expand
  63. Apr 20, 2013
    I think this game represents the bare minimum to be a member of the Shock series. With each iteration of the series after SS2, the formula gets watered down more and more. I was able to immerse myself in Bioshock 1 & 2, despite the simplified mechanics, because the world had flow & made some sense. Infinite just felt disjointed to me & felt more like an amusement park than a somewhatI think this game represents the bare minimum to be a member of the Shock series. With each iteration of the series after SS2, the formula gets watered down more and more. I was able to immerse myself in Bioshock 1 & 2, despite the simplified mechanics, because the world had flow & made some sense. Infinite just felt disjointed to me & felt more like an amusement park than a somewhat functioning city or space ship as in previous games. The character customization is severely lacking as well.

It was entertaining & had a decent story, but it felt hollow. I found myself only really having fun with the game in the last 30 minutes of play.
  64. Apr 21, 2013
    The story was just awesome. It tells a great story with pretty sweet game play. Even when you beat it and play it again that's just it, you still can't take away the fact of how good of a game this was.10/10 indeed
  65. May 1, 2013
    I wonder how come not even 1 critic either give negative or mixed review for BioShock Infinite?! Did the producers of this game persuaded Metacritic to show only positive reviews??
    Whatever, for me it's just an average game!
  66. Apr 22, 2013
    I'll try to keep this short.
    Bioshock Infinite is not a bad game by today's standards and definitely does quite a few things right, including, but not necessarily limited to:
    - a unique, fresh setting - a female comrade that isn't just there to provide eye candy - an above-average story - unproblematic, technical realization However, this game is not nearly as good as people and
    I'll try to keep this short.
    - a unique, fresh setting
    - a female comrade that isn't just there to provide eye candy
    - an above-average story
    - unproblematic, technical realization

However, this game is not nearly as good as people and magazines make it out to be.
    - the gameplay itself is very generic, linear, simple and watered-down when comparing it to its predecessors.
    - the politic implications and themes are handled VERY superficially and just boil down to two simple messages: Racism is bad, religious fanaticism is bad

All in all, the game is okay, but nothing groundbreaking. Time travel and alternate universes does not make the story complex or deep automatically and this game also really doesn't have a true intellectual merit, like some people make it out to have. Also, it suffers very heavily from the extremely bland gameplay, which a game should be mainly judged on.
  67. Apr 23, 2013
    For what Infinite nails with it's visuals, implied and direct political landscape and character motivations, it fails in derivative kill box level design, stripped down gameplay mechanics that resemble title's past and overly rounded out vigors that don't differentiate or inspire effort /trials/skills to use against enemies. Feels like a lot of good ideas were left on the cutting roomFor what Infinite nails with it's visuals, implied and direct political landscape and character motivations, it fails in derivative kill box level design, stripped down gameplay mechanics that resemble title's past and overly rounded out vigors that don't differentiate or inspire effort /trials/skills to use against enemies. Feels like a lot of good ideas were left on the cutting room floor and the game suffers as a result. It does have some interesting ai ideas and smart dialogue. Multiverse is getting a tad played out in the media so even though we've only seen it in a few titles in the past and many times in television (fringe)it can really muddy up the story/character progression in the game until the ending reveals. To sum up, the visual spectacle and visual world design is grand,inspiring and give so much more than the gameplay. Expand
  68. Apr 26, 2013
    This game will leave you in awe, the first impressions are what a beautiful and immersible city. When you uncover the top off it, the dark undertones hit you. The game mechanics, fantastic set pieces and impressive moving features are stunning. This is why we play video games... This is what any genre should aim to create in their unique way, fantastic game play, fantastic story withThis game will leave you in awe, the first impressions are what a beautiful and immersible city. When you uncover the top off it, the dark undertones hit you. The game mechanics, fantastic set pieces and impressive moving features are stunning. This is why we play video games... This is what any genre should aim to create in their unique way, fantastic game play, fantastic story with twists and turns and LESS off the repetitiveness we have come to persevere with in recent years off gaming (esp fps). The Ending blew me away... I love this...

What a great way to end the last few great games of this generation and hope that some greedy mass-repeat devs/publishers can take note... take my money for this quality anytime
  69. Apr 27, 2013
    When I first saw this game I thought, that looks amazing! With the new setting and different characters, what can go wrong with a bit of variety? But after a few hours of playing the game I discovered that the it was incredibly boring! There was just something about the combat which made it very very repetitive, the plasmids don't seem to play as big as a role as they did in the last twoWhen I first saw this game I thought, that looks amazing! With the new setting and different characters, what can go wrong with a bit of variety? But after a few hours of playing the game I discovered that the it was incredibly boring! There was just something about the combat which made it very very repetitive, the plasmids don't seem to play as big as a role as they did in the last two games, and there was less of them. The game wasn't as immersive the first and second games, in my opinion the underwater setting suited the game a lot more then the up in the air setting. The one thing that disappointed me the most was that the game just wasn't as scary as the first and second games in my opinion, the dark and gritty like game play suited the series more that the light and gloomy game play of Infinite. All in all if you are a hardcore Bioshock fan and have played the first two games, I would wait until the price of the game has gone down. As you may be disappointed with the stale game play and boring combat. Expand
  70. Apr 30, 2013
    This game has a nice story. Not an extraordinary, ground breaking, shocking, we-never-heard-about-this-before kind story, but a nice one. And a good one to experience. But other than the story; this game is worthless. Graphics are overrated, sound and music are also overrated, game play is terrible; just a little more than a 'shoot everything that moves' game. If you like FPS games thisThis game has a nice story. Not an extraordinary, ground breaking, shocking, we-never-heard-about-this-before kind story, but a nice one. And a good one to experience. But other than the story; this game is worthless. Graphics are overrated, sound and music are also overrated, game play is terrible; just a little more than a 'shoot everything that moves' game. If you like FPS games this could be a good choice, but DO NOT expect something revolutionary. This is not Half Life. Expand
  71. May 10, 2013
    The game reaches great heights for sure. The story line draws you in, and the scenes are wonderful. I enjoy the movement and the weapon use. A great sequel for sure. But in an age of open world, free to explore games, it falls far short of the perfect ten that it has been given by so many sites and magazines. The developer hit the mark with every other item of this game. But I have becomeThe game reaches great heights for sure. The story line draws you in, and the scenes are wonderful. I enjoy the movement and the weapon use. A great sequel for sure. But in an age of open world, free to explore games, it falls far short of the perfect ten that it has been given by so many sites and magazines. The developer hit the mark with every other item of this game. But I have become spoiled by games like, Far Cry, Fallout and Skyrim. Games that give me a choice. I can't play games anymore that have me standing on a treadmill headed down a tunnel. Hopefully the next edition will be more open. Expand
  72. May 22, 2013
    I was never a fan of the first two games But this one is just incredible If not the best game i ever played it is definitely one of the top 5 Not even a single wrong with with game Awesomeness at its best
  73. May 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh where to begin... I'm really torn on Infinite (no pun intended). It covers some seriously ambitious material. However, the massive hype, perfect scores and claims of this being the pinnacle of gaming have caused me to voice my opinion in a review... something I don't normally do.

To start, the story as a whole doesn't come near Bioshock or System Shock 2. Despite this, its gets off on a good start and the first act was solid and had me hooked in certain areas.
    Once they start to ramp up and reveal string and quantum theory more as a story premise it begins to falter.
    The 'ending' itself is a deus ex machina in my eyes, and the attempt to extend this to the entirety of Bioshock was rather contrived. This frustrated me more than moving me. I've studied quantum physics, so perhaps this is one reason for my impression. I feel as if they ticked the boxes they wanted to cover for the story, but had a hard time filling in the process of how to get to the material within said boxes.
    Choice ultimately has no impact. This is 'explained' through quantum theory again, ala Schrodinger's cat. Just more deus ex machina in my eyes; ergo this comes off lazy and frustrating.
    Like others have said- this is more of a game on rails (no pun intended) for a pretentious movie that continually forgets itself, its roots and the source material as it proceeds.

I'm a noir fan, so I thought I'd like Booker as an anti-hero, but his motivations are never fully realized. His baptism as the cornerstone and therefore fulcrum of the story is again, rather lackluster and contrived. Using an explanation through very loose and lazy applications of string theories doesn't help.
    On the other hand, Elizabeth was a highlight, but again, her implementation was very hit and miss.
    Songbird... what the hell happened here? I wanted this character IN the game, but 3 interactions and then its death in Rapture was disappointing.
    Ultimately, the atmosphere is not at the level of the other Shock games; despite being drop dead gorgeous and initially powerful. It begins to come apart the more the you realize you are simply a ghost until the guns come out. This works in the other Shocks, but when the environment is living and breathing it falters.

The gameplay is receiving quite a bit of criticism, and I'd have to agree with the negative more than the positive impressions. Its a regression more than an evolution of the Shock series.
    As a side note: if you're making excuses for the lackluster gameplay- don't give the game a perfect score. Remember, this is a game.

In the end, the characters, the story and the gameplay had serious potential; but it seemed more concerned about self-masturbation than engaging the player. I left feeling a bit empty and ultimately disappointed.
  74. May 29, 2013
    A perfect 10 from my POV and tastes. It hit a sentimental cord in me. One of the only games in the last decades that actually left me wanting more and having to deal with time till that "more" arrives.
  75. May 31, 2013
    The game play is good, the graphics are amazing, but the length of it and how linear the game play is just ruins it. I payed $60 for a game that I finished in one day. It has no re-playability value unless you're a completionist. With a 6 to 9 hour campaign and no multiplayer there isn't anything to really do with it when you complete it. So unless you have another great game you areThe game play is good, the graphics are amazing, but the length of it and how linear the game play is just ruins it. I payed $60 for a game that I finished in one day. It has no re-playability value unless you're a completionist. With a 6 to 9 hour campaign and no multiplayer there isn't anything to really do with it when you complete it. So unless you have another great game you are playing that will last you a while I don't recommend buying this. Expand
  76. Jun 24, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite has lots of things going for it. The game looks beautiful and manages to create atmospheric and immersive gaming experience. Elizabeth is also one of the best game characters I can remember. Also Elizabeth's role as support character during battles works well.

The biggest problem with this game is the storytelling which is a bit messy and not always paced well. It can at times be difficult to keep track at the 'bigger plot' of the game. The ending is also somewhat confusing and doesn't spell every detail out if you didn't pick things up by yourself during the game. It's also likely to leave players expecting typical happy ending unsatisfied.

The gaming system itself has some minor problems. The game offers lots of different weapons and skills from which many are similar and thus somewhat redundant. Most players probably end up using only small portion of these. Equipment system is very underdeveloped and the game has very few wearable items. Same goes to code books. Also Vigor upgrades are unproportionally expensive.

All in all, Bioshock Infinite is a good game. It's disappointing in the sense that it could have been great game with more fluent storytelling. The game is also rather short offering only about 10 hours of playtime. If you're on budget, you might want to buy something that offers more bang for your hard-earned bug.
  77. Aug 28, 2013
    Great game with mesmerizing visuals, interesting story and great characters with stellar voice-acting. It's a shame that the world building and combat is a step down from the previous games, though.
  78. Mar 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock Infinite is barely a game designed for the entertainment of 'gamers'. It is rather a convoluted and unrelentingly bleak exercise in narrative by Ken Levine. When we get to the 'end' it is NOT The Sound of Music. Instead we have a narrative in which every major 'character' is soul-less and evil, living in a chaotic and meaningless world, where the (anti) hero (YOU) is drowned in the final scene by a daughter he sold, after he enslaved her in a tower....in another manifestation.........made possible by the ridiculous....pseudo science....of an entirely fictional take on 'Quantum Physics'. Along the way to its HORRIBLE conclusion the game revels in an unrelenting atmosphere of homicidal psychosis. The player navigates a long sequence of linear levels depopulating the city of Columbia of its men folk without any real rhyme or reason. Hand in hand with the daughter you abandoned, and then imprisoned (and who is going to drown you) you roam about gathering resources and unlocking achievements on a long journey to nowhere. It is not all terrible. The art direction of the game is great, and the lighting and bloom effects are well done. Vigours are fun, and there is pleasure to be had holding the v key down so that you can decapitate half the city with your skyhook. That is the only 'role playing' allowed here however. This game is all about the story. It is ONLY about the story. The story is that you are a moral midget psychopath, who will be drowned by your own daughter so that 'none of this ever happened'. If that is a 10/10 game experience for you by all means go for it. Have yet to delve fully into the DLC but 'Clash in the Clouds' feels way better than the core game since it spares us the dismal narrative. Despite my negative review this is a game to buy and play, because it is definitely INTERESTING. I hope Ken Levine can discover a sense of humor in the future, and put more effort into level design, shooting mechanics and role playing elements. Good games offer the illusions of choices, levity and reasons to replay them. This game offers no choices, no light-heartedness and very little reason to replay it.

Orctowngrot.
  79. Jan 22, 2014
    Amazing graphics, characters, setting, design, music and sound effects.
    Absolutely retarded and terrible gameplay!! It's really a disgrace to the fps genre in terms of challenge and mechanics.
  80. Jan 6, 2014
    Bioshock Infinite 1 of the years best with a ending that ties everything together characters so real you can touch them mainly Elizabeth the most pure and innocent character ever who is the heart and soul of this art.
  81. Oct 27, 2014
    Pros:
    Superb voice acting
    +Good music +Good artwork/style +Sky-Hooks/sky-lines are fun Cons: -Nonsense story -Little exploration -Inconsistent and poor characterization. Many characters are stupid. -Generally bad combat -Not really useful Vigors/abilities -2-gun carrying limit -Generic, boring (boss) fights I wanted to adore this game. I wanted to recommend it to everyone
    Pros:
    Superb voice acting
    +Good music
    +Good artwork/style
    +Sky-Hooks/sky-lines are fun

Cons:
    -Nonsense story
    -Little exploration
    -Inconsistent and poor characterization. Many characters are stupid.
    -Generally bad combat
    -Not really useful Vigors/abilities
    -2-gun carrying limit
    -Generic, boring (boss) fights

I wanted to adore this game. I wanted to recommend it to everyone I knew to play it. The trailers looked so promising, and I liked Bioshock 1 & 2; I just *had* to play the third one.

Of course, I was blown away by the introduction: the shining, bright, beautiful hovering city of Columbia, and the background choir reminiscent of Amazing Grace. Followers praying in the serene, candlelit water, and an overzealous baptism foreshadowing something profoundly more sinister.

I enjoyed the game until half an hour after rescuing Elizabeth. That was when the game's problems became apparent. The plasmids, now re-skinned as Vigors, lost much of its usefulness. All you have to do is spam Murder of Crows or fire for crowd control, but even then you rarely use them. Undertow was perhaps the most interesting and unique of the Vigors, and I didn't use it that often.

The gameplay, particularly in regards to guns, was frustrating. You have about a dozen to pick from, but you can only carry two. That doesn't sound so bad until you realize that 1) you can't buy guns and 2) many fights are optimal for a certain gun, which means you won't have opportunities swap different guns until much later. Also, you can't craft or modify your weapons or ammo in any way, so you're stuck with a generic gun.

Combat was mediocre at best. Same enemies suicidally bum-rushing toward you and rarely ducking behind cover when injured, with the occasional bullet sponge handyman thrown in. Shoot, spam crowd control, run, duck, rinse and repeat. Perhaps the most difficult part of combat was the Halo-styled shield, and if you were out of supplies you'd have to run to a corpse to gather if Elizabeth didn't give you anything. That was tedious and I didn't need to manage my resources, unlike the first two games. All of this was evident when you had to "kill" Elizabeth's "ghost" mother--not once, but *three* times in the same fight, with an infinite army of zombies. Easily, one of the worst and most monotonous boss fights ever.

Then, the story. Wow, was it bad, and just behind Diablo 3. This story and plot was clunky and had more holes than a pumice stone. Comstock had the sense to lock Elizabeth in a tower, but didn't bother to groom her to become his heir until much later? She could open up tears in her tower, but never once tried stepping through it? Why didn't Booker and Elizabeth escape that way ASAP, either? Why is Songbird chasing Booker in the 2nd "timeline" when that timeline's Elizabeth is safe elsewhere? You probably get the point, but there are so many holes and problems it'd take a lot more than my character allotment to explain it all, especially the B.S. ending. You might not catch these problems the first time around, but you will the second or third.

What a disappointment. The wonderful voice acting, the enlightening tidbits of the voxophone recordings, and the Sky-Hooks and the artwork/style are the saving graces from me giving it a 2 or lower. Please, don't believe in the hype and buy this game.
  82. Jun 8, 2014
    the graphics are really poor, the gameplay of the past century and uninteresting story.
    The first and the second was really pleasant (the second less than the first)
    but then I took no pleasure and I had to force myself to finish this game.
  83. Jul 28, 2014
    This is by far the best fps I have ever played. The plot is outstanding and the action is great, it was hard to pull myself away from it. The game isn't just horror based like bioshock 1 and 2, it revolves around a breathtaking plot which some points are designed to be scary. There was never a single moment when i felt finished or even frustrated with the game, if you haven't played itThis is by far the best fps I have ever played. The plot is outstanding and the action is great, it was hard to pull myself away from it. The game isn't just horror based like bioshock 1 and 2, it revolves around a breathtaking plot which some points are designed to be scary. There was never a single moment when i felt finished or even frustrated with the game, if you haven't played it yet, get it now. Expand
  84. Dec 12, 2014
    The game captivates you from the very beginning.

The once things become ugly, things also become interesting. You realize things are not as they seem - in a very scifi way.

And to top all that, your companion Elizabeth is incredibly charming and alive. I loved it.
  85. Mar 26, 2013
    i dont like first-person shooters. For me Bioshock Infinite was like giving a second chance to a genre that i usually dont touch with a stick. It promised stuff like nice story and appealing, unique graphics and it looked less violent and morbid than your usual shooters. i gave it a try and wasnt disappointed. Like in a great mystery book, nothing in story made sense for most part of thei dont like first-person shooters. For me Bioshock Infinite was like giving a second chance to a genre that i usually dont touch with a stick. It promised stuff like nice story and appealing, unique graphics and it looked less violent and morbid than your usual shooters. i gave it a try and wasnt disappointed. Like in a great mystery book, nothing in story made sense for most part of the game, but in the end... lets just say i became permanently stupid. my brain is now damaged by the shocking ending. i've read lots of shocking books with crazy twists, but experiencing this in a first person shooter game? wow. damn. Expand
  86. Mar 26, 2013
    I think, after playing this game on Ultra settings, I can die happy now. I may update this after I beat it. Currently 4 hours in and I am amazed at the vibrant, creative, magical world, tight game-play mechanics, and story. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this snags GOTYE 2013. Possible contender #2: Watch_Dogs
  87. Mar 27, 2013
    An absolutely beautiful game.
    The graphics are stunning, and the overall mood of the game is fantastic.
    Also the music changes dynamicly if your in battle, and it makes the battles very intense. The levels are full of secrets, locked doors and collectibles. The world is very beautiful. I often find myself just exploring the world outside of where I'm supposed to go, because it's so
    An absolutely beautiful game.
    The graphics are stunning, and the overall mood of the game is fantastic.
    The levels are full of secrets, locked doors and collectibles.
    The world is very beautiful. I often find myself just exploring the world outside of where I'm supposed to go, because it's so beautiful. It also helps that I always find secrets when exploring.
    Fantastic game!
  88. May 15, 2013
    A VERY mediocre and average game probably the most over-hyped game of recent times.

If I see a review on an established gaming site and see a game given a rating of 9.0/10, I'd would expect a game which would capture me from start to end, with plenty of new ideas, amazing graphics and story, a game you simply cannot put down until you played it to the end. Bioshock Infinite is a

Bioshock Infinite is a very average "run off the mill" shooter where you do what gamers do and did already for decades in first person shooters and there is nothing remotely innovative or new. The combat very quickly becomes extremely boring. The story is "bizarre" while at the same time, just a rehash of other, similar stories in countless FPS. Graphics are overall a joke, someone called it rightfully a "last gen" game. The only thing speaking for it are some "interesting" ways how the engine makes use of lights, but still from a technical perspective the graphics are abysmal, low poly-count characters/objects etc.

What bugged me most about this game was not only that it was a sub-average shooter with no new ideas, but that the player is forced to play in the same environment (that city) for the entire time. I became quickly tired of the appearance of the city which AT FIRST (right in the beginning!) was full of life, but later on becomes boring with repeated elements, the same mobs, the same weapons etc..etc..

I only had one "Oh Great!" moment, this was all the way in the beginning of the game where you enter that fair with all the characters and are eager just to stroll around and see the city and interact with the characters. But unlike a great sand-box style game where you would be able to continue to explore, the game then just becomes a mediocre shooter which rally doesn't bring anything notable to the table.

There is only ONE plus point I want to give the game: As someone else already mentioned, the game has a phenomenal, fantastic sound atmosphere. This worked so great that you can play with headphones and you can literally pin point the location of where a sound comes from, better than what I've seen (I mean: heard) in any other game today. For example: I remember early on in the game I was in a part of town and started to hear muffled, far-away music. I was able to find the source of the music "by ear" just by listening to the sound as only help. This is done exceptionally well.

As a side-note: This game in particular now will be my final proof never ever again to trust game reviews, including reviews by users here on MC. I see people rating this game a 10 saying "it is truly innovative" (which it is, BY FAR, not) and how the graphics are "fantastic". (They are "ok" for a modern system but far from "fantastic", let alone impressive). I also think its hilarious how so many are making the comparison to HL2, a game which is now 9 (nine!) years old. Ironically, HL2, although almost a decade old, had elements which are much better than this average, extremely overrated little game! Even the graphics of HL2, after about a decade can still stand up against this game, unless you are overly impressed by the better lighting effects of this game. Needless to say, HL2 (and many other games in that genre) did a lot of things better. THIS game is a game which I already forgot since there was nothing (literally) staying in my memory which one would expect from a "9 rated" game.
  89. May 4, 2013
    Absolute Rubbish. Sorry but this is not some groundbreaking tour de force. It is a VERY boring, very very dull run and gun. It's only "deep and meaningful" if you are a naive teenager and the graphics flatter to deceive. I am stupid enough to have paid over £20 for this on pc and it is a total waste of money. You cannot interect with people you just run about shooting things and sufferingAbsolute Rubbish. Sorry but this is not some groundbreaking tour de force. It is a VERY boring, very very dull run and gun. It's only "deep and meaningful" if you are a naive teenager and the graphics flatter to deceive. I am stupid enough to have paid over £20 for this on pc and it is a total waste of money. You cannot interect with people you just run about shooting things and suffering patronizing "clever" storytelling. YAWNTASTIC. I give it a 3 because it was interesting for the first hour and it hasn't crashed. All this pathetic hyperbole by reviewers is actually mystifying:- "visionary", "groundbreaking"....no not at all, in fact very mediocre, unless i've woken up in about 2003. MUST TRY HARDER Expand
  90. Mar 26, 2013
    Absolutely amazing, there is nothing to complain about in this game. The story is fantastic, the combat is great and fun, and the atmosphere hits all the right notes.
  91. Mar 30, 2013
    This game is ok. It tries to be a thriller like the first games in the series, but the story is far too campy to be scary at all. It has clunky mechanics for a PC shooter. It's a good enough looking game, but you'll have to work the graphics cards overtime to see it. There's a lot of eye candy, but the AI that's sprinkled everywhere is mostly lifeless and lacks any interaction or purposeThis game is ok. It tries to be a thriller like the first games in the series, but the story is far too campy to be scary at all. It has clunky mechanics for a PC shooter. It's a good enough looking game, but you'll have to work the graphics cards overtime to see it. There's a lot of eye candy, but the AI that's sprinkled everywhere is mostly lifeless and lacks any interaction or purpose other than to get in the way. Expand
  92. Mar 26, 2013
    I have been highly anticipating this games release and it is finally here! Sat down last night and all I can say is WOW! Hats off to the developers on this one as it is just a masterpiece! The hype was worth it. If you love Bioshock you are going to love this game even if you haven't played Bioshock before you should get this game. The gameplay and visuals are astounding I cannotI have been highly anticipating this games release and it is finally here! Sat down last night and all I can say is WOW! Hats off to the developers on this one as it is just a masterpiece! The hype was worth it. If you love Bioshock you are going to love this game even if you haven't played Bioshock before you should get this game. The gameplay and visuals are astounding I cannot fault this game as I said all I can say is WOW! Expand
  93. Mar 26, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is hands down the greatest campaign I have ever played. Beautiful graphics, the best combat I have ever experienced in an FPS, and characters that you really really care about.
  94. Aug 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. graphically it's appealing however it's c,o,d gameplay lack of difficulty and very poor cliche' story bioshock infinite is highly disappointing in both my reviewer sense and personal sense, from it's first showing at 2010 to 2013 most elements of: open-world, story, uniqueness, and "feel" were all taken away in the 3 year transition and the ending was so forced that spending more time on it is pointless and while it looks very great for a 7th gen game, looks can't make a game good, to add on the game's score it was hyped up and only set itself for a hole that irrational will never get out of and now (my personal thoughts) i spent 150 us dollars on pre-orders hoping for a experience much like i had with the first 2 infinite was so bad that only after 2 playthroughs (one for personal, one to make this review, i have been waiting to make this review for months i am planing to a good friend of mine the dlc i am not getting the game is ASS just give the game and everything it came with to Expand
  95. Mar 26, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece. You have to love a game that is built not to please everyone, or to appeal to the biggest demographic of the lowest common denominator. Bioware Infinite is about a development team trying to realise their creative vision. This is a very fun shooter, but by no means is it the kind of shooter that is going to inspire thousands of hours of shooting.
  96. May 3, 2013
    Like others, I'm confused as to why this game is being glorified as one of the best games ever made. I've run the gauntlet of pc gaming ever since the pre-Windows days and have had the pleasure of enjoying some of the most amazing pc games ever produced in history. With that said, this game is extremely average at best. I'm around 75% of the way through, and I'm struggling through theLike others, I'm confused as to why this game is being glorified as one of the best games ever made. I've run the gauntlet of pc gaming ever since the pre-Windows days and have had the pleasure of enjoying some of the most amazing pc games ever produced in history. With that said, this game is extremely average at best. I'm around 75% of the way through, and I'm struggling through the repetitive boredom to try and finish it.

Without rambling in to every single thing I'm disappointed in, I'll simply say a lot of the game is repetitive (almost every fight scene plays out the same way), boring (so much down time explaining a story that is too confusing to absorb the first time), and unnecessary (80% of the weapons, vigors, and clothing is rarely used).

It's a very disappointing game, and it's rather insulting to give something that is nowhere near a perfectly polished game such high reviews.
  97. Sep 17, 2013
    [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author]
  98. May 30, 2013
    I still haven't finished it yet, not because its difficulty (its a way too easy), but because i got really bored. Where to start:
    Graphics looks good if you stand 2 meters away from the monitor. Once you look at textures and models you realizes how poor it is.
    NPC are just annoying, dumb and lifeless (and poor modelled). Game dynamics are just COD-style, nothing that vaguely resemble
    NPC are just annoying, dumb and lifeless (and poor modelled).
    Game dynamics are just COD-style, nothing that vaguely resemble the original BioShock. No real choices, no tactics with plasmids (yes, you have vigors but once acquired electricity they become just useless and repetitive), no real challenge. This game is so easy that you could die only if you throw your character over the cliffs (and then you are reanimated by your annoying companion).
    If you really wanto to complete your BioShock collection, just wait some month and buy it on sale.
  99. Apr 4, 2013
    I find this game pretty boring and PC version is full of gamebreaking bugs. Twice the game has been impossible to continue in without redoing an entire level due to zero bug testing during development it seems.
    Sometimes Elizabeth just stands there instead of doing what she is supposed to and even resetting the checkpoint doesn't allow you to continue past this point.
    If devs are going
    If devs are going to continue to release such shoddy products i am amazed it can get such a high review score.
  100. Mar 31, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a Bioshock game, period. I know it looks different and may seem different, but a lot of the things from Bioshock are in Bioshock Infinite. While Infinite has its own look and everything, which makes it feel new and fresh, this is a Shock game through and through, so you have a mix of the familiar with something entirely new. The combat is very similar to the firstBioshock Infinite is a Bioshock game, period. I know it looks different and may seem different, but a lot of the things from Bioshock are in Bioshock Infinite. While Infinite has its own look and everything, which makes it feel new and fresh, this is a Shock game through and through, so you have a mix of the familiar with something entirely new. The combat is very similar to the first game, but guns have more of a kick this time around. Plasmids also make a comeback in the form of Vigors, which allow for a lot of variation and experimentation in combat. There's also the inclusion of sky-lines, which make some fights really exciting and frantic. I'd say the combat scenarios are an improvement from the first Bioshock. You'll also be looting the environment and corpses for money, food, salt (for Vigors), etc.

Bioshock's art direction is simply stunning. It takes a very talented art team to pull off something like Infinite, and the team at Irrational was definitely up to the task. The amount of detail in each and every environment is staggering. You'll definitely understand why this game was such an undertaking and took so many years to create when you see it in action. Then you have Elizabeth, which is one of the most realized characters in all of gaming. Elizabeth's animations and interactions are one of Infinite's many highlights.

But Bioshock Infinite is ultimately all about the narrative, which it delivers on from beginning to end. This game's story is hands down one of the best in the business, even going as far as surpassing the original Bioshock. While Bioshock was a masterpiece, its ending left a little something to be desired. But this isn't the case with Bioshock Infinite. This game has an ending that'll blow you away.

Play BSI slowly, relish the moments and don’t rush to the end. It’s certain that you will have lived one of the richest gaming experiences that, as far as narration, lyricism and story are concerned, will take a lot of time to forget! [May 2013]
  2. May 7, 2013
    A very solid, but not revolutionary shooter in an amazing setting, with a story that struggles to convey its authors’ ambitions and is only seemingly complex. The vision is less focused than in previous Bioshocks and it does a worse job on binding the plot with gameplay. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.46]
  3. May 1, 2013
    Problematic plotting and excessive amounts of poorly balanced combat apply friction to what is otherwise one hell of a rollercoaster. [May 2013, p.80]