8.6

1. Apr 9, 2013
    This game has a really somber story, which is definitely not something that i like, but I do approve of it on a more technical level. The writing is some of the most intricate I've ever witnessed, and everything is a 'logical' progression of events that you can follow if you're not trying to finish the game at 4 AM. I have a love/hate relationship with Bioshock Infinite, but I also have toThis game has a really somber story, which is definitely not something that i like, but I do approve of it on a more technical level. The writing is some of the most intricate I've ever witnessed, and everything is a 'logical' progression of events that you can follow if you're not trying to finish the game at 4 AM. I have a love/hate relationship with Bioshock Infinite, but I also have to respect it, because what it did; it did near perfectly. Expand
  2. Apr 4, 2013
    An outstanding game with an exciting and engaging story, a beautiful, detailed environment, and a unique combat system. The exploration alone makes the game worth buying. The story and pacing are both done extremely well, without any nonsense moral decisions tacked on. The only reason to dislike this game is if it falls outside your personal tastes. This game is about the story and theAn outstanding game with an exciting and engaging story, a beautiful, detailed environment, and a unique combat system. The exploration alone makes the game worth buying. The story and pacing are both done extremely well, without any nonsense moral decisions tacked on. The only reason to dislike this game is if it falls outside your personal tastes. This game is about the story and the ability to explore every corner and rooftop of the immersive environment of Columbia. Players who can appreciate these things will not be disappointed. In addition, elements like tears and skylines give a fresh new take on combat this is enjoyable and a break from the repetitive nature of most new shooters these days. Overall, an excellent game. Stop reading and go play it. Expand
  3. May 16, 2013
    A gorgeous world and intriguing story, inspired by utopian/dystopian fiction and American history. Expertly-crafted and beautiful game-world with enough stop-and-stare moments to fill your hat. Very polished and technically almost perfect. However, I would agree with some of the comments here that the gameplay just isnt' quite as good. The shooting is a fun experience, but nothing thatA gorgeous world and intriguing story, inspired by utopian/dystopian fiction and American history. Expertly-crafted and beautiful game-world with enough stop-and-stare moments to fill your hat. Very polished and technically almost perfect. However, I would agree with some of the comments here that the gameplay just isnt' quite as good. The shooting is a fun experience, but nothing that stands out. You won't remember the game for its gunfight action, but you will be mesmerised and propelled along by the sheer craft of the world, characters and unfolding story. If they had this world, mixed in with the kind of multi-choice gameplay dynamic of something like Dishonored, then the game could have got top marks. I'll certainly go back and play through again in the future a solid 8-8.5. Thanks Irrational! Expand
  4. May 24, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite takes everything we know about linear gameplay and does it all right. With an unrivalled plot, the likes of which overwhelm all but the 'A-est' of the A-list Hollywood movies, The most compelling efforts of the writers is to convey the underlying themes that don't become apparent until late on in the story and with a beautifully devious twist of an ending, it certainlyBioshock Infinite takes everything we know about linear gameplay and does it all right. With an unrivalled plot, the likes of which overwhelm all but the 'A-est' of the A-list Hollywood movies, The most compelling efforts of the writers is to convey the underlying themes that don't become apparent until late on in the story and with a beautifully devious twist of an ending, it certainly leaves the player wanting to get on the wiki site ti learn more. Bioshock Infinite is certainly one to be remembered, and with the nourishing level of detail, forgetting the beauty (and ensuing chaos) of Columbia will prove difficult for any gamer. With the physics engines and graphics cards of 2013, Infinite leaves us thinking "Damn, if only Rapture had looked this good."

If anything could be said against the game, it would be Irrational's lack of effort towards creating a fully function AI society. Whilst the player is indeed submerged in a city with non-aggressive AI to bolster the feeling that you are in a real human settlement and not just a war zone, Irrational struggles to do this improvement over the game's predecessors any real justice with the lack of interaction between the AI and the player itself. One finds themself questioning the difference between taking stuff from a chest of drawers and taking stuff from a chest of drawers with the word 'steal' at the bottom of the screen, demonstrating the scripted incidents carried out by the competely robotic artificial intelligence.
  5. Mar 27, 2013
    For me, this game is Portal 2 all over again. As a game compared to universal standards it's awesome, but compared to its predecessor (I only acknowledge the first), it falls short. But it certainly goes pretty far to meet the bar set by the original Bioshock. The beginning is an atmospheric masterpiece, but after a minor complication with your first escape attempt the plot loses someFor me, this game is Portal 2 all over again. As a game compared to universal standards it's awesome, but compared to its predecessor (I only acknowledge the first), it falls short. But it certainly goes pretty far to meet the bar set by the original Bioshock. The beginning is an atmospheric masterpiece, but after a minor complication with your first escape attempt the plot loses some steam. Later in the game, the plot turns upside down in typical Bioshock fashion, and though it's well executed I didn't much care for it. As always, the ending is mindblowing and anyone who uploads a video of it should be shot on sight. Graphics aren't earth-shattering, but the lip-syching and voice acting are phenomenal. Probably the best part of the whole game is the interactions between Booker and Elizabeth as their relationship changes throughout the story. Conversations are believable with just the right amount of ambiguity to keep you guessing about the story, and Elizabeth is by far the best videogame support character in history, barely nudging out Alyx Vance of the Half-Life series. This game should never be sold for less than $50, but I do take issue with the "pre-purchase DLC" scam they've got going on on Steam. Expand
  6. Mar 27, 2013
    16 hours, (smelling all the roses, one play-through half on hard half on medium difficulties) Now I go to watch lets play's from my favourite commentators and scarer Youtube and the "internets" for anything trivially connected to BioShock (including playing Dishonored from Bethesda!) I don't want to be done with BioShock, I want more. A position which most story tellers would want16 hours, (smelling all the roses, one play-through half on hard half on medium difficulties) Now I go to watch lets play's from my favourite commentators and scarer Youtube and the "internets" for anything trivially connected to BioShock (including playing Dishonored from Bethesda!) I don't want to be done with BioShock, I want more. A position which most story tellers would want their patrons to be in. Now to critique the game. The Good I feel that much of the game's developers deserves awards big time! The sound and art in particular the composers, designers, artists. Did one almighty polish of this game. The best thing about most AAA computer games experience these days is that they are separate from Hollywood, in this case better too. In the future I have no doubt this will be even more prominent.

The Bad Balance. For a polished game being over budget and over developed the balance and combat design is far sub-par of the rest of the experience. Partially understandable, since in a lot of places the combat takes a back seat to the overall experience (within context). This combat is suppose to be largely about vigor's, whilst there was nods to it, there were no large NPC emphasis. I can count on one hand the NPC's that used vigor's. I guess it was slightly better then constant quick time events. This by far was the weakest of the overall BioShock experience, though forgiveable given the rest of the experience. Some people would say lack of manual save games, i would agree. Performance was a little gluey in some areas. The sky line. I would of preferred a little more use of it. There is a certain upgrade that makes you invulnerable jumping on and off it, that was a bit of a balance cheat, however its upto the patron to want to do that or use another character upgrade. The Ugly Character modelling was sub-par, I don't think this cities was meant to be about clones [maybe it was] I can't tell if that was a short-cut, a convenience or a limitation or if it made sense once you get most of the story. Too much of the textures were basic 3d meshes, not sure if that was intentional.
  7. Mar 30, 2013
    Undoubtedly one of the greatest games I have played in a long time. A must buy for anyone and everyone. If you have doubts about this game, don't, your purchase is justified. However, try to play the game knowing as little as possible to get the full experience
  8. Mar 30, 2013
    I've known about this game for at least two years prior to its release. I suspect that Irrational began working on this one right after they released the first game of the series. The atmosphere and narrative in this game are unique and immersing, and make it stand out amongst other run-of-the-mill zombie, WWII, or 21st century-based shooters. It's clear that Irrational put massive timeI've known about this game for at least two years prior to its release. I suspect that Irrational began working on this one right after they released the first game of the series. The atmosphere and narrative in this game are unique and immersing, and make it stand out amongst other run-of-the-mill zombie, WWII, or 21st century-based shooters. It's clear that Irrational put massive time and effort into this game's development. The game-play does echo that of the first Bioshock in some ways. Vigors are like Plasmids, and Salts are like Eve. Each gun and Vigor is upgradeable, and there are plenty of vending machines from which you can purchase supplies and said upgrades. My only real complaint about this game you can only carry up to two guns at a time. Fans of Halo or Crysis are probably used to this, but I'd personally like to have at least an additional weapon slot or two. Still, this doesn't hinder overall game-play too much. I like the fact that you don't have to babysit Elizabeth like you did Ashley from Resident Evil 4. She knows her way around a fight and knows how to assist Dewitt, even though she remains unarmed. But she never feels like a burden. Also, you don't have some Irishman asking if "you would kindly" be his errand boy every five minutes over a comm radio. You pretty much explore the world on your own as you would a Metroid game, though Elizabeth does drop hints on occasion as guidance. Though I've beaten this game once, it feels like one of those movies that has to be watched a second time in order to understand it better. Maybe I have to play through it a second time to better understand the story. Overall though, this is one of those rare moments where the game lives up to the hype, like Half-Life 2 did in 2004. The ratings, both by Critics and Users, are no joke. Try this game at least once in life. Expand
  9. Mar 31, 2013
    Absolutly outstanding game, A deserved 10 and GOTY 2013. Show your support for the videogame industry and purchase this game, if you don't reward something good they might disapear. Think about it.
  10. Mar 27, 2013
    If one day, the developers of Assassin's Creeed, BioShock and The Elder Scroll meet to make a game, the outcome could be:
    - a total disaster
    - the first real interactive experience worth this name in history
  11. Mar 29, 2013
    I was skeptical of Bioshock Infinite at first, but I'll admit most of that was from getting my hopes up for Aliens Colonial Marines, but this game absolutely blew me away. WOW! Simply stunning. It feels like its been forever since such an absolutely rock solid ENVELOPING game has hit ANY system! I enjoyed Bioshock, I really enjoyed Bioshock 2, but since I picked it up on Wednesday night,I was skeptical of Bioshock Infinite at first, but I'll admit most of that was from getting my hopes up for Aliens Colonial Marines, but this game absolutely blew me away. WOW! Simply stunning. It feels like its been forever since such an absolutely rock solid ENVELOPING game has hit ANY system! I enjoyed Bioshock, I really enjoyed Bioshock 2, but since I picked it up on Wednesday night, this game has completely entranced me. The last time a game had this effect on me was when Fallout 3 came out, and I started playing right after work, only to look at my watch (what felt like an hour later) and realize I had to get up and go to work in 2 hours. This game is absolute gold, and I added an extra half point for the decision to NOT include multiplayer.

Everything about this game is top notch. The voice acting, the solid responsive controls, the graphics (which numerous times took my breath away.... on XBOX360 even), the sound. The weapons are all satisfying, upgradable, and feel like they do appropriate damage (I CHALLENGE you not to shout YEAH!! the first time you perform a melee execution). The beloved Plasmids have been cast aside in exchange for Vigors, which are actually even more satisfying to use (setting a group of badguys ablaze and then shooting a murder of crows at them is wildly fun) Everything was given exactly the right amount of attention. What really steals the show however is the story line. In the first two installments we had atheism and science gone awry. Now it is the Tea Party gone wild in 1912 draped in glorious retro/futuristic visuals. Instead of deep in the ocean however, someone turned the damned lights on, and now we're soaring in the clouds. This is what worried me initially since the first two games just dripped atmosphere, but here Irrational Games knocked it out of the park, blending bright airy open spaces with genuinely creepy interiors, all populated by strikingly well designed badguys. On top of all of this, they've removed most of the water from the game, which Im sure had some purists like myself wondering how it would be pulled off.... the answer is that instead of water, you can tear open the fabric of space and time, and cross dimensions, which repeatedly left me mindblown throughout the course of the game. This feeling again though reminded me of how completely immersed I was in the game, and how fully they'd suspended my disbelief. Um cons. Lets see. I had a graphics glitch at one point where a big red line appeared across the top of my screen. That is all. Yes. this game IS that good. It is seriously one of the best games I've ever played, an absolutely magnificent work of art.
  12. Apr 5, 2013
    I can't ask for anything more in a game. Fantastic story told right. Absolutely gorgeous ambientation. Well written characters. "Just-right" pace and mechanics. A game that lasts long enough and still leave you wanting more.

What it gets right completely make it up for the game`s forgettable flaws. If I have to complain about something i would say that the story is a little too focused on the main characters leaving some important side characters without a strong sense of purpose. (but even that kind of makes sense by the end)

Strongly recommended! games don't get much better than this. That is... story focused games don`t get much better than this. If you are all about casual games and online multiplayer this may leave you wanting more.
  13. Apr 1, 2013
    Another fantastic title in the BioShock franchise, if you loved any of the other BioShock games, you'll love Infinite. Much like all of the other BioShock games, you do not need to play one, to understand the others, as they all have their own independent story line and characters. The game looks wonderful and plays wonderful.

I took two points off of BioShock Infinite, the first being

I took two points off of BioShock Infinite, the first being there is way, way, way too much combat in the game. Every 10 seconds it's room after room of enemy swarms, flooding the room, attacking you. I found myself enjoying the more peaceful missions better then cutting through hordes of people.

The second reason why I deducted a point was simply how linear the game was. I feel as though it could have been a little bit more open ended. I know we cannot expect this of the BioShock franchise, but a more open world would have been greatly appreciated. In a floating city driven by rail based travel, the world is fairly closed and basically pushes you through the entire story, almost as if down a hallway. All in all, it's exactly what you'd come to expect from a BioShock game, it looks good, plays good and sounds good. As always the story and characters are compelling and interesting. I am sure this will be a game of the year FPS in 2013.
  14. Apr 4, 2013
    Really, it is a wonderful game with a great story and unforgettable gameplay i reccomend this game to everyone. The only thing i miss is the co-operative and a various endings but, i hope, it will come in DLC. Great job 2K and Irrational!
  15. Apr 21, 2013
    To begin, the environment and setting of Bioshock Infinite is absolutely breathtaking. Certain elements of the story are mind-bending and impressive. However, it suffers from several fatal flaws that make it less than stellar.

The Good As previously stated, the environment of Columbia is beautiful. The setting is amazing. Irrational Games went through extensive lengths to make the

The Good
    As previously stated, the environment of Columbia is beautiful. The setting is amazing. Irrational Games went through extensive lengths to make the world a believable retro-scifi environment. The technology, sights, and sounds of the era are everywhere and feel like they belong. This world could have easily been imagined at the beginning of the 20th Century and that's a good thing.

Additionally, Elizabeth and Booker, the protagonists, are amazingly complex and fleshed out characters. You can't help but feel attached to Elizabeth nor can you avoid feeling sorry for Booker as he tries to makeup for his sins.

The gun play is quite well done. Weapons seem responsive and aiming was not a chore. Ammo seemed to always be just a bit short which may have been intended, but was at times annoying. The environment requires quick thinking. Booker is human, not super human, and requires you to periodically duck and seek cover. This is a positive. You have to think about moving into the line of fire and how long you stay there. Altogether positive experience with the controls.

The Bad
    The bad lies in the fact that you have no choice in how the game ends or what your character does. In fact, Irrational Games makes several taunts throughout at this little fact. You can of course travel down certain paths do a few side quests, but the story is very linear. You will always end the same way. No exceptions. You have no control about what path you take, and in-fact many of the scripted scenes force you to choose only one choice.

In addition, there are a ton of quick time events that leave you with the illusion of having control over your character where you have to do certain things within them, but you quickly realize the most decisive choices in the game are predetermined. This is no Mass Effect, and the game developers seem to revel in this repeatedly having characters in the game remind you that no matter what choice you make, it will always end the same.

Additionally, the very ending of this game leaves the player shocked, disturbed, and more importantly, severely disappointed. There is little to no resolution of the last 25 hours of game play and it raises more questions than answers; none of which you're going to be able to answer because the game doesn't explain it to you. As far as story writing goes, this is a no-no.

If this weren't enough, once you discover the statement the game was making, if you're a person of faith, especially a Christian, you can't help but feel personally attacked.

It's been almost 24 hours since I finished Bioshock Infinite and I still can't get the bad taste out of my mouth. The plot has similar qualities to many science fiction and dark fantasy (i.e., horror) short stories. The kind of stories that at the end leave you asking "What the heck?" and leave a dirty, gritty feeling. Thankfully, those short stories usually only involve investing an hour of your life, not twenty. This leaves you ample time to wash the taste out of your mouth without feeling like you've wasted too much of your life.

Bioshock Infinite doesn't give you that luxury. You invest nearly a day of total gameplay only to be kicked in the stomach and then told to "deal with it."

I still feel like I'm scrubbing my tongue to get the taste out. Does someone have a steel wool scrubby?

In Conclusion

The game has an amazingly imagined and executed world with a fascinating story that will keep you glued to your seat until the end. The characters are well-rounded, believable, and complex. If you don't feel something for Booker, Elizabeth, and maybe even Comstock by the end, something is probably wrong with you. Unfortunately, these close attachments are stomped on and spit on by design.

The ending punches you in the stomach, rips the rug out from under you, and kicks you a few times for good measures. The raw dirty feeling doesn't go away. If you happen to be a pro-American, Conservative, and/or Christian then the ending will sting even more.

The beautiful world, amazing characters, and fluid game play keep this from being a terrible game, but the ending erases almost all of the good points. I'm glad I didn't have to drop $60 to play this. I can't not recommend this game because it has beautiful experiences, but I can't recommend it either.
  16. Mar 28, 2013
    I really enjoyed playing through the game. The praises well there is so much buzz around this game that I'm sure you know the good bits. There were a few irritants, though ...

1) The enemies aren't fantastic. I don't fault the AI as much as other people; the enemies just weren't as fantastic or varied as in past Bioshock games. It's aggravating that there were even commercials featuring the Boys of Silence enemy type, because they really do anything. The majority of the fights are between you, cops, street rabble, and a handful of robots. Combat itself is kind of boring, too, attacking with maybe a third of the available weapon types and only 1 type of enemy using anything resembling a vigor.

2) Level interaction was weird and limited. Sometimes, I could walk off the city and die. Other times, I couldn't jump over a handrail to fight in the street.

3) Most weapons and powers felt like a waste of time. The vigors seemed to be tailored to really specific situations, mostly, with a couple of them appropriate for general applications. The same with the guns.
  17. Mar 30, 2013
    A magnificent game that truly does justice to the concept of video games as an art form. The amount of attention to detail and the quality of workmanship shines through and through.
  18. May 13, 2013
    helloarty gave this game a 0, and said that it was just another call of duty clone. this dumbass retard clearly never played bioshock infinite. it is not even remotely close to the gameplay, story and art of call of duty. helloartty should go get aids. please do the world a favor.
  19. Mar 30, 2013
    I rarely write reviews but Bioshock Infinite is one of those very few games which live up to the mark, honestly speaking this is a game i have really enjoyed after Half-Life 2, perhaps i can confidently say its the best game made in the past 6-7 years. It is better than Bioshock in a number of ways as the narrative is very deep and twisted, at the end of the game you will be all blank andI rarely write reviews but Bioshock Infinite is one of those very few games which live up to the mark, honestly speaking this is a game i have really enjoyed after Half-Life 2, perhaps i can confidently say its the best game made in the past 6-7 years. It is better than Bioshock in a number of ways as the narrative is very deep and twisted, at the end of the game you will be all blank and shocked. Graphically the game is a visual treat as Colombia looks stunningly fresh and vivid, a perfect feel of a city floating in the sky midst of clouds and the bright shiny sun rays scattered all across the things you can possibly see, it really feels believable and real, as far as the gameplay goes its exactly what bioshock is meant to do, and this time you can use your weapons and vigors together just like in bioshock 2 which completely changes the combat system and every vigor has an alternative fire which can be used for tactical gameplay, especially on hard because the game really felt difficult. Sound design is also very good and the art direction is very strong, despite of the unreal engine showing its age now there is never a moment where i felt that the game was lacking a graphical use, the dev's managed to pull it off in a beautiful way. But graphics are really not that important in this game as its more dependent on its plot, narration and gameplay, Elizabeth is beyond the conventional AI partner that we have seen in past video games, she literally interacts with the environment in a variety of ways, helps during combat it feels like a human is controlling her, its more like an invention sort of a thing which is one of the most strongest points in the game. Its clear that Bioshock Infinite is a game made for intellectuals and a necessity for the generation to realize the definition of a stellar game, performance is also ace on the PC, even on a core 2 duo and HD 5670 i managed to pull it off using ultra textures and everything set to high along with AA, got good frames, im glad they decided to optimize it for the PC as i have read in reviews that its not so good on the consoles. This game is stellar and im happy to say my faith in gaming is restored,

Thanks Ken and Irrational!!! This is surely a FLAWLESS MASTERPIECE!
  20. Jul 30, 2013
    Enchanting. Top notch game experience. The developers built an amazing world, and told an interesting story. YOU MUST PLAY THIS.

One of the best games I ever played.
  21. Mar 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was a pretty big fan of the original Bioshock though I never played Bioshock 2. I came into this game having not really payed attention to press releases other than the trailers, not really having any specific expectations for the gameplay, and not really knowing what was or was not promised. I'm going to try and review it from that perspective since it seems the most negativity I see is aimed at the lack of things apparently promised in pre-release hype. I'm also going to analyze the plot a bit so their will be spoilers. I am also going to review this from the point of view of a person who is not a huge FPS fan in general as I really am not. Gameplay: In terms of gameplay, Bioshock Infinite is not really as innovative as apparently a lot of people expected, but from my perspective, while not everything it does works perfectly, it works well enough to at least be very fun and engaging. The gameplay is less revolutionary and more like an evolution or crossbreeding of ideas from other games before it (but then again crossbreeding ideas is the cornerstone of the creative process). It has both a regenerating shield and a health bar that needs to be maintained, it has something like the Plasmids from the first game (but they really only serve to give you more options on how to approach the challenges presented to you rather than being entirely crucial to winning, and some of them are basically useless), and it has the two-guns at a time mechanic popularized by Halo so many years ago, though not all the guns are of equal usefulness. The gameplay also revolves more around larger, more open air battlefield style areas than the original Bioshock did while retaining the emphasis on making use of what is in the environment strategically, including mechanics to add and remove key elements from the environment. If you do or do not like the gameplay decisions they made will really depend on your taste in FPS gameplay mechanics in general. I personally love the more narrative focused FPS games in general over the multiplayer-focused ones and many of the design decisions here are apparently made for the sake of making the action and narrative more of the focus with a constant-flow without any sort of story-pausing abrupt interrupts, hence the tendency towards linearity, the lack of hacking mechanics and the reduction of lock picking mechanics to a single button command. I like that kind of gameplay, you may not. Story While Bioshock was already pretty heavily story driven, Bioshock Infinite is even more so, in a way, narrative is what this game is all about. The game takes place in a fantastical setting designed to spark the imagination in that unique way that has made steampunk so popular. The game is thematically very similar to the original Bioshock: It has a false utopia brimming with internal conflict upon which an outsider with an apparent connection to the place is lead to by circumstances where they get caught up in that conflict (in this case, they witness the collapse rather than arrive after it happened). Like the original bioshock, the false utopia is built upon a historical political ideology, in this case, the flying city of Columbia is based on late 19th century American Exceptionalism taken to a excessive, religious extreme. This has tended to lead to a fairly touchy matter. A number of negative reviews I have seen from users here seem to express offense at the seeming negative commentary the game is making of religious conservatives. But the thing is, no opinion from the developers is ever explicitly stated, what is implied is ambiguous and open to interpretation as there really is only one character who does not (at first) exist in a moral grey-area, and the story isn't even *about* the social commentary made anyway. The story *really* is about two outsiders caught in a conflict between two radically different and very opposite political philosophies (that are both essentially depicted negatively) and, by the second half, becoming enemies to *both* sides, and their story is really about exploring themes of fate and destiny, self-knowledge and identity, guilt and redemption, abandonment and reunion. But mostly the story is all about character, particularly the main female character of Elisabeth, much of the story focuses on *her* development as a character from a relatively innocent idealistic character to a mature, wiser, more sober character by the end. In many ways, she is the real main character, being the the catalyst for everything that happens in the game.

To sun it up Great narrative, fantastic setting, gameplay elements that work well but do not break the game when they do not. I reccomend giving it a playthrough. I'm going to give this game a score of "generally favorable" which means I have to give it an 8 since, apparently, a 7 is like an "F" for most video game reviews and all other numbers below that are basically meaningless.
  22. Mar 29, 2013
    Don't listen to all the idiots that say this isn't on par, it's way above and beyond my expectations. It really takes a lot to get me to play a single player game, and so far this game has been bringing me back to play every night which is very rare. Definitely one of the few games this year that will be loved by almost everyone from all groups of gamers. Everything has already been saidDon't listen to all the idiots that say this isn't on par, it's way above and beyond my expectations. It really takes a lot to get me to play a single player game, and so far this game has been bringing me back to play every night which is very rare. Definitely one of the few games this year that will be loved by almost everyone from all groups of gamers. Everything has already been said in other reviews, this game is just pure gold all around. Expand
  23. Lap
    Mar 31, 2013
    Honestly this is one of the most captivating stories in a game by far. Graphics fit the game, I see a lot of complaints about graphics, but that is not the games type of art style. The world is beautiful and I could not help myself from learning everything and exploring everywhere. The character Elizabeth is a necessity while playing through the game, as she adds so much to engage you inHonestly this is one of the most captivating stories in a game by far. Graphics fit the game, I see a lot of complaints about graphics, but that is not the games type of art style. The world is beautiful and I could not help myself from learning everything and exploring everywhere. The character Elizabeth is a necessity while playing through the game, as she adds so much to engage you in the story. Never have I finished a game and felt sad for the protagonist like this one. The game is overwhelming in how much you get attached to the characters and the ending is probably the best ending to any game I've ever played. It is a very confusing story and requires a lot of paying attention, but it is worth it. The game has its own art style and atmosphere, and if you don't pay attention, the story can leave you behind.

P.s. Ignore the petty comments towards graphics and people not understanding the game. It is well worth the $60 and it should not have its artistic style based on other bland games that focus on more realistic looking humans.
  24. Mar 31, 2013
    I'm going to keep this short and sweet. Few games come along that blow your mind like Bioshock. I haven't experienced such a thrilling ride since, well, Bioshock 1. If you are here looking at the rating, deciding whether to buy it or not, you are wasting precious time. Get down to the store, buy it ONLY on PC. An experience like this comes rarely. Nuff said.
  25. Mar 30, 2013
    It seems like it has been a lifetime since I have experienced such a breathtaking creative feat as Bioshock Infinite. The quality of this game surpasses all expectations I had, even after the masterpiece that was the original Bioshock. From the graphical fidelity, to the character development, and sense of environment, this game surprises me with it's sheer beauty at every turn. TheIt seems like it has been a lifetime since I have experienced such a breathtaking creative feat as Bioshock Infinite. The quality of this game surpasses all expectations I had, even after the masterpiece that was the original Bioshock. From the graphical fidelity, to the character development, and sense of environment, this game surprises me with it's sheer beauty at every turn. The intricacies and boundaries of storytelling have been pushed far beyond any other game, as you discover the true story of Columbia not only through conventional dialogue, but also posters and signs littering the environment, and side conversations from seemingly meaningless people on the streets. Bioshock Infinite sincerely shows how video games can find their place among the giants of books and movies, as story-telling mediums that can create an experience that is truly one of a kind. Expand
  26. Apr 2, 2013
    PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW BEFORE READING ANY OF THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS

PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW BEFORE READING ANY OF THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS

Bioshock Infinite was exactly what it needed to be. It was a Bioshock game that was also the third game in a series. It had many characteristics of the original games in it, but it also had many new features that a third game needs to have. To all of the people that were complaining about it being too linear I say they must not have tried to explore. Plus, you must not have played the original games, because it was just as linear as the originals. If the story line was confusing to you, I can understand why you didn't like it. It was a really well told story that was as original as a story can be these days. Everything has been done under the sun.

The game play was similar and yet different from the first two games. It had to be that way because if it was exactly the same as the first game, then people would complain about that. As I said, it was what it needed to be. To the people that complain that it is just not a believable story, then A) you must not have played through the game completely (or you weren't really paying attention) or B) Your completely over thinking it and I bet that you hate science fiction games/movies in general. If it is really that hard to believe, then I don't understand how you liked the first two games (if you did, and if you didn't then you shouldn't leave a comment) and you should probably go back to non-fiction books. For all of those people who said they don't understand why they should care about the story-line, I say how couldn't you? The very basics of the story are heart breaking. A girl locked up by her father and experimented on? That is engaging by it self. The rest is a ridiculous amount of gravy.

I will say that the enemies were a bit repetitive. I get that. Wasn't the first game's enemies? I agree that the Handymen (Big Dadies) were not too common, but they had other things to fight in there place, and plus they would have gotten old if they had been common. The controls were not clunky, they just were not what your used to. Don't be lazy and fix them, I did and it improved my skill and experience immensely.

To those complaining about the graphics, what games that have come out recently have better graphics? Sure, there are games with better graphics, like Battlefield 3, but those graphics wouldn't have added anything to the game. The graphics that the game had were exactly the quality that it need to look good, add to the experience, but not take away from the game play (aka killing Frames Per Second or making some peoples computers not be able to play it at all).

To sum up, most of the things that people are complaining about are pointless, laziness, misunderstanding, or just simply ridiculous. This game is amazing, not quite perfect but pretty close. Get this game. I recommend playing the first one at least if you haven't already.
  27. Mar 30, 2013
    This game is REALLY great, and I rarely say that about any game. The story is extremely awesome, the characters too, and the world is mesmerizing. The gun-play is pretty fun and the graphics are really impressive looking. A lot of people are complaining about the high amount of bloom in this game, but they don't seem to realize that this game takes place in the CLOUDS, so naturally, bloomThis game is REALLY great, and I rarely say that about any game. The story is extremely awesome, the characters too, and the world is mesmerizing. The gun-play is pretty fun and the graphics are really impressive looking. A lot of people are complaining about the high amount of bloom in this game, but they don't seem to realize that this game takes place in the CLOUDS, so naturally, bloom will be abundant. Also, a lot of people are complaining about the ending. Please disregard all these complaints, as it's simply because they didn't pay attention to the story/they don't possess the brain power to process what happened. The plot is THE MOST complicated thing I have ever experienced, and I love it. After I finished the game I had to look up "ending explained" and such, just to see what others made of it. It's extremely intriguing and I couldn't have asked for any other ending. Now so far I've been doing nothing but smothering this game with love, so you may be wondering why I didn't give it a 10. There are several factors that lead to this. There are many small things in this game that bothered me throughout the game, such as invisible walls that prevented me from taking cover in locations that I'd originally expect to be able to go into. Also, it is possible to go ahead of the story, location wise, so I'd be able to go to location A, I wouldn't be able proceed past that for whatever reason (that is explained and is fair), but then I'd go the quest in location B where I was told to go to location A, and then Elizabeth and I would be asking "Where is this location A?", even though we were just there. Another problem I had is that some of the vigors seem rather useless and the player doesn't seem to have much incentive to use them over some of the others. For example, the water vigor (don't remember what it was called), simply seems to be worse in every way than the possession vigor, so why would I use my salt on something worse? There were various other smaller issues I had with the game, and though they were trivial, they started to add up as I went along. I feel that had Irrational just added/fixed a couple of these things, the game would be flawless. Don't listen to all the haters who're giving this game anything less than a 7, they don't have any knowledge on what they're talking about, and should be disregarded. Expand
  28. Mar 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Words cannot describe how amazing this game is, especially on the PC. Bioshock Infinite tells a very great story that when it comes to the end, will honestly shock and confuse many people, but in a good way. When I completed this game, I honestly didn't know how to feel about the ending, but now that I've seen it explained, I can appreciate it more. The game play is very solid, the amount of fun you can have zipping around skylines and dive bombing enemies from above is almost infinite (no pun intended), and the weapons in the game are very well made. Other combat mechanics, like tears and Elizabeth aiding you with supplies, where also very nice touches and made the combat a lot more unique, without making the game incredibly easy. The main characters in the game, Booker and Elizabeth, are probably the best duo in recent gaming. Irrational Games didn't even need to make it romantic, and I'm thankful they didn't. All they needed to do was make their relationship and their story believable (well, other than the flying cities, but I digress). The Songbird, despite not having any dialogue at all, is easily one of the best anti-heroes I've seen in a game. Not the best, but up there at least. There are also little moments in the game that truly help get some comic relief or joy in an otherwise depressing story. This includes the Lutece twins, and the scene where Booker begins playing guitar while Elizabeth sings along. Moments like these, the overall story of the game, and the great game play make this game an unforgettable experience. Play this game at all costs, and definitely get it on the PC if you have one that can run the game. Expand
  29. Apr 13, 2013
    Story was great...game looks good...tons of thought went into the universe...but gameplay was repetitive. Seriously those rails are the worst idea ever...they added nothing but frustration to the experience. I get why people dig it...not for me...

I was counting down the minutes to watching the credits roll
  30. May 6, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a masterpieces game. Game, not something else. Because only here Ken Levin as general director of the game combined shooter, narrative, LIVE characters and give us blow-away mix of plot and the whole story itself.
    From the beginning till the final this game will give you unstoppable action not on monitor, but in your head. Your minds and thoughts will kill you in dead try to understand how it all works here. And if you think you know, please... Check the final of the game.
    The gameplay itself gives to the player options. Even here we have freedom of choice story touch this theme We can only shoot by guns, or we can only use vigors. We can combine them, we can not it's only our choice. Somebody see here a problem, but I'm not. You want to survive on 1999 mod dif-ty? Use everything you have. No? Your choice, but then don't complain. We have lots of weapons and 8 vigors. How to use you decide.
    Elizabeth is alive. She is not like alive, she is alive. You trust her, you worship on her. It's hard to imagine what work Irrational Games had done, because how Liz moves, act, look at something, how she even talk impress you. This is you SHOCK, BIO comes from Vigors.
    For me it's hard to describe Bioshock in a few words. Cause this is a huge product, huge game. This is a story, an art which should be in each creator's mind. How Levin loves details and how shock us next corner. Of course there are minuses. Sometimes you don't want to shoot and just want pass through enemies, but they don't give you a chance. May be old versions of the levels were better and more large, open. And somebody can looks differently on the gameplay freedom to shoot with or without vigors. But please, where did you see the game or something without minuses? As Lutece twins said: "This is just a point of perspective. I see Dead. And I see alive."
    Bioshock Infinite is a must have game. Because this is not only a game as we use to think or use to play, this is an art, drama, new world itself.
  31. Mar 28, 2013
    This is a solid Bioshock game with alot of added new things. If your a fan of the first game youll love it.
    The character thats with you (elizabeth) is actually likeable and very helpful. The skylines you ride on are awesome especially fighting on them. Its a new and fresh idea to a game like this. Theres still alot of things to click on and collect like the other bioshock games, so they do a good job of making it new but not taking away from that bioshock feel. overall a great solid game. The reason i just couldnt give it a 10 is grahics are kinda outta date about 4 yrs. ago looks like fable 2. and characters are laughable at times, they do a great job with using smoke to hide the look of the game in places but other than that get this game...awesome
  32. Apr 3, 2013
    Overhiped. SERIOUSLY overhiped, out of proportions. But that doesnt make it bad game. I could understand those score games from users, but to sertain extent. But giving this game 0 or 4 is overreacting just like giving it pure 10. Except in pretty design, great story, fluent gameplay, this game is step backwards comparing to original Bioshock.AI have some issues. Besides beign almostOverhiped. SERIOUSLY overhiped, out of proportions. But that doesnt make it bad game. I could understand those score games from users, but to sertain extent. But giving this game 0 or 4 is overreacting just like giving it pure 10. Except in pretty design, great story, fluent gameplay, this game is step backwards comparing to original Bioshock.AI have some issues. Besides beign almost completelly unchalenging, they also have a habit to act strange when dors are closing behind you. You get back into place where there was a bloody fighting seconds ago, but they wonder around like nothing happened.They are also completelly ignoring Elizabeth, but its ok, atleast you dont have to babysit her all the time. Mentioning Elizabeth, nothing important, but its a bit annoying when she wants to pass you ammo or something, if you dont react in a second she wont throw it at all. Also, I really wanted to see those details which devs were mentioning about her s interaction with enviroment in idle moments, but as soon I take a step to get a better view she leaves whatever she was doing, and resumes to follow you.Like I said gameplay is fluent and fun, but nothing you aint saw already in original Bioshock.Travell system in Columbia is great addition, but game is linear anyways, with clear mission, without alternative endings. Too many hipe doesnt helps, when you expect too much usually you get disappointed. But nevertheless game is great, but not how much critics are praising. Expand
  33. Mar 30, 2013
    My previous review was a bit off, this game is great, almost the best of the best. In fact I was surprised at this game, it was nothing like I expected and it is captivating from beginning to end. Also somehow, although the game has no real replay value, it forces you to continuously play it, it's just that great. 10/10
  34. Apr 18, 2013
    10/10 is only granted if you rate the graphics and story alone. Those two aspects alone make the whole game happen. Unfortunately, the rest of the game is terribly bland from standard weapon types, all recycled plasmids(vigors in this one) from previous games with few exceptions boring and unimaginative gear/weapon upgrades, virtually limitless ammo even on hard and so on. There are many10/10 is only granted if you rate the graphics and story alone. Those two aspects alone make the whole game happen. Unfortunately, the rest of the game is terribly bland from standard weapon types, all recycled plasmids(vigors in this one) from previous games with few exceptions boring and unimaginative gear/weapon upgrades, virtually limitless ammo even on hard and so on. There are many repetitive gauntlet type areas that you will no doubt be expecting to have to go through twice, once on the way and once on the way back, easily identified from the start of each zone. The story leaves much to be desired, such as an explanation of how vigors even fit into the world (unlike BS1 which explained plasmids) or even how this girl got these rift powers. ADVICE** Play the game, but wait for it to go on sale**** This game relies 100% on creating the illusion of a great game by employing smoke and mirrors hiding a bland game behind graphics and a killer ending. Expand
  35. Mar 31, 2013
    Well what can I say about Bioshock Infinite is that it is amazing! It will make you want to play it over and over. The story takes place in 1912. A guy named Booker Dewitt has to bring a girl named Elizabeth and wipe away the dept. it takes place on a floating city called Columbia. The floating city of Columbia is amazing on PC, on console the graphics are good but it has a little bit ofWell what can I say about Bioshock Infinite is that it is amazing! It will make you want to play it over and over. The story takes place in 1912. A guy named Booker Dewitt has to bring a girl named Elizabeth and wipe away the dept. it takes place on a floating city called Columbia. The floating city of Columbia is amazing on PC, on console the graphics are good but it has a little bit of frame rate problems, and is not that a big problem threw out the game. The game play is amazing and really fun you can combo using a pistol and setting the guy on fire which is crazy fun with all the types of vigors. the game is 10hrs if you play straight threw the game, if you don't it will take you i say 13hrs around there. the characters are really good and they grow on you later on in the game. Elizabeth is a amazing character because she helps you in when your in a gun fight. She will give you ammo, med packs for health, and find some money to help you build up your weapon upgrades. the awesome thing she can open up is a thing called tears which help in the game. the voice acting is really great because the voice actors really seem like the characters in Bioshock Infinite. using the sky hook is a blast. This game will make you want to play it over and over again, and I am playing it again, it is the best game I ever played! Expand
  36. Mar 27, 2013
    After undergoing a development cycle of six long years, Bioshock Infinite is finally here. Is it good? Great? Fantastic? It's every single one of those adjectives, and more. In fact, the word "infinite" pretty much sums up the amount of praise needed to give this game all the credit it, and the folks at Irrational games, deserve. Bioshock Infinite is everything a triple-A game of itsAfter undergoing a development cycle of six long years, Bioshock Infinite is finally here. Is it good? Great? Fantastic? It's every single one of those adjectives, and more. In fact, the word "infinite" pretty much sums up the amount of praise needed to give this game all the credit it, and the folks at Irrational games, deserve. Bioshock Infinite is everything a triple-A game of its caliber should strive to be. It's a game that people will be talking about for years to come, or comparing other titles with. It's a landmark, a beautiful lighthouse standing in the middle of the ocean we know as the gaming industry. And like it did with both Jack and Booker, that lighthouse will take you on the adventure of your lifetime. Expand
  37. Mar 30, 2013
    Can't fit the whole review on here so read my full review here: http://tmblr.co/ZGdFcvhUdSuL

If you are an avid BioShock fan then this game will certainly satiate your need for more BioShock goodness. With a campaign set in a vibrant world with great characters, setting, story, atmosphere and combat which can span over 15+ hours of game time, BioShock Infinite is my favourite game of 2013 right now.
  38. Apr 9, 2013
    Gameplay is awesome. To be able see the good stuff in terms of graphics,you better get a machine that supports it. This is worth the money, the wait and the hype.
  39. Mar 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story was really good and the graphics were sooooo awesome the gameplay was really cool but it was to short the game took me 5 hours to beat but it was worth the money the only thing i didnt like about the game was the ending it was soooo freakin sad and psychological why the did Songbird need to die such a horrible way he was so awesome if the game had a alternative ending then i would personally give it 10 but the ending ruins the game a little sorry for my english im danish so im not so good at it :S Expand
  40. Mar 26, 2013
    Bioshock: Infinite starts off slow, but gradually builds suspense and finely touches up on the story as you progress. The action-combat system may remind you of a rehashed version of the original Bioshock, however this doesn't mean it's a bad thing. A lot of us who have played the previous Bioshock games have probably enjoyed the combat system in its time. Thus, being the reason why I'mBioshock: Infinite starts off slow, but gradually builds suspense and finely touches up on the story as you progress. The action-combat system may remind you of a rehashed version of the original Bioshock, however this doesn't mean it's a bad thing. A lot of us who have played the previous Bioshock games have probably enjoyed the combat system in its time. Thus, being the reason why I'm deducting one point, since the combat seemed a bit old-school and wasn't my main point of interest in the game. Second, the game play is linear, although, this wasn't much of a problem for me since I was so caught up in the immersive universe they have created. The story, was utterly amazing, I can't tell you how much I fell in love with the game by how detailed and caring they took with each character's personal structure. Elizabeth, is almost perfect, however, at time's she seems quite monotone with her actions, disregarding some emotion that could have been implemented during certain conflicts in the storyline. I personally feel as if they could have improvised and added a bit more dialog between Brook and Elizabeth, but overall, they did an excellent job. When the story wraps everything up in the end, I had such a strong emotional connection between the two. I could not of thought of anything better, they nailed it!! Playing through the game was pretty fun, it's very unique, and has such a diverse aspect the average "Triple A Title" that it's worth playing through again. I'd have to say, this must have been the best game I've played in a long time. I fell in love with the game, I was skeptical at first, but after playing the entire game, I've become obsessed with it. I want to thank those behind Irrational games and 2K for developing such a wonderful game, I'm looking forward to their upcoming DLC content! Expand
  41. Mar 29, 2013
    This game is just Draw dropping i really suggest you should get it if you don't own it! In My view this is probably the best game i have ever been on! The Graphics are Urmmmm lets say AMAZING! you can see every little detail in the objects if you have a high performance gaming PC. The environment is perfect! The Story and location of the game is just Great! Really i would get it if i was you!
  42. Mar 29, 2013
    The one real thing I look for in any single player game is how immersive the storyline is. And this game crushed any competition in my mind for any game I have ever previously played. Even though the gameplay is fairly linear, it is the story and the way the characters interact and develop that amazed me. I came to absolutely love both Booker and Elizabeth by the end and the development ofThe one real thing I look for in any single player game is how immersive the storyline is. And this game crushed any competition in my mind for any game I have ever previously played. Even though the gameplay is fairly linear, it is the story and the way the characters interact and develop that amazed me. I came to absolutely love both Booker and Elizabeth by the end and the development of their origins is astounding. My jaw was dropped for about a good 80% of the storyline-rich segments, and the rest of the time I was in and out of the amazing combat. The fluidity of combat in this game is some of the best I have ever experienced. For example the way you are able to shock a group of enemies, summon crows to attack them, then jump onto a skyline to just jump down onto an enemy, killing him, and assassinating his buddy by snapping his neck with your skyhook. Some of the most creative combat system I have ever seen. I would mention about the graphics, however I don't think I would be able to give a fair representation of how amazing this game really looks since my computer can only handle this game at low-medium settings, but even at that level the looks of the game are astounding.

Just the environment in the game has you hooked in so emotionally, even in the beginning when you first come to Columbia, that looking around you truly feel as if you are in the year 1912. With american flags and banners everywhere has me feeling constantly patriotic, yet with the institution of slavery still rampant in Columbia, it hit me right in the feels when you see a slave scrubbing a boardwalk as other nearby npc's are mocking them and talking down to them. One of the most emotional scenes I saw that wasn't even really a part of the story line **and I don't want to spoil anything for anyone so I'll skip when this happens** but you see a black woman who I thought I previously saw in shackles, sitting and holding her hands as if she was praying, and seeing a song about being free, it kind of sounded like amazing grace.

And that leads me into the sound is this game. If I had to rate the sound design on Bioshock Infinite on a scale of 1-10, I give it a 12. The music, the character voices, the gunshots, everything sounds so clear and perfect it pulls me in just as much as any of the visuals that accompany the sounds.

But I want to get back into the story. One thing I absolutely love about this game, which was also the case with the original Bioshock, is how you have to think about the storyline, about what's going on. Towards the end, when you finally unfold the truths of Booker and Elizabeth, as well as others, I have no better words than my mind was absolutely blown away. The depth to the storyline is so intense it had me thinking over and over again what has happened, as well as had me guessing as to what was to come. Yet, EVERY SINGLE TIME, I was amazed at what was revealed and how, whether I guessed right or not. The twists and turns and just the way this game f*cks with you mind is why I took the time to create this metacritic account 5 minutes after completing the game just to share how absolutely amazing this work of art is.

Irrational Games and Ken Levine, I need to say thank you for my new absolute favorite game. I was blown away by Bioshock, and never thought a game could top it, let alone by the same developers, yet you did it by expanding on it. This game is truly a work of art and a masterpiece and will forever go down in history, alongside the original Bioshock, as some of the greatest storylines ever written. It would take something magical, like Half Life 3 being announced and released this year to tear this game out of its position in my heart for game of the year. And now, if you'll excuse me, it's time to replay it in 1999 mode.
  43. Mar 30, 2013
    This game is simply a masterpiece, art.
    The graphics are wonderful, the setting is amazing, the story is the best ever told in a game or a movie or a TV show.
    The ending is most certainly the best ending ever featured in a game and will carry this for many many years. There is simply nothing wrong with this game, it is fun, beautiful, intresting and compliceited. 1010, becuse it is
    This game is simply a masterpiece, art.
    1010, becuse it is just... just perfect.
  44. Mar 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I played this game on 360. While i wanted to buy it for the PC, certain limitations in my life on the day of this game's release prevented me from doing so. Also i was spurred to write this review (and finally make a metacritic account) due to a certain JOKE of a review from a panzerbadger and the many other FAKE reviews for this game on Metacritic that were only made to drop a game's user review score by a fake account. Which is ridiculous (as anyone with a brain stem or any account of maturity would likely agree) and extremely childish. In panzerbadger's review he states that to rate this game highly (id assume between an 8 and 10) you'd either have to be paid or be a stupid teenager. The main problem with that argument is that its subjective and just plain stupid. Also for someone who makes a fake account, writes one review and criticizes others for they're opinions just goes to prove who the immature a$$hole is in the conversation. Just saying... That being said i'm now moving on to review the excellence that is Bioshock Infinite! (POSSIBLE SPOILERS ALERT!!!) Let me say that for all of my life Irrational Games has yet to let me down when it comes to a big release. Bioshock Infinite hits every right note in singing the beautiful melody that is, to me, the swan song of a dying generation of consoles. For 360, PS3 and PC owners this is a sure buy and will obviously go down as one of the best games that this generation has seen. Right up there with the original Bioshock from 2007. The combat in this game takes place either in semi closed quarters or fairly open levels. It isn't exactly free roaming like i expected it to be. While this was a slight disappointment i was pleased with the amount of layers the game gives you with combat. In a normal sequence i could set up traps and lay ambushes while calling in some assistance from another reality with Elizabeth's time tears. In another i could be swinging from skyline to skyline while sniping baddies off their flying ship, or calling in for added cover from a time tear to peak and shoot from and to keep my from looking like swiss cheese. The combat in this game is visceral and satisfying! I have some gripes to go with it however. There is a 2 gun carry mechanic, much like Halo, which i do not like over BioShock's original gun wheel and the game seems to make dying even harder than the original. Dying has hardly any consequence and so while the combat is satisfying there is a distinct lack of challenge. The amount of vigors in the game is far less than the original's plasmids and the gun and vigor (aka Plasmid) customization is watered down slightly. It isn't a big gripe for me but still is worth mentioning. To make up for this they did add in a more open Gear mechanic which allows you to equip 4 pieces of clothing which boost your character's skills and add all kinds of different effects. Its very much like the Gene Tonics of the original but with a little more depth. Another small gripe is the removal of hacking however you can still turn turrets and mechanical enemies in your favor with the use of a certain vigor so in a way its not completely gone. The health and Salt (aka EVE) mechanics are different this time and don't change anything for the worse but don't really improve either. All in all, in a lot of ways, Irrational stuck to they're guns when it came to combat mechanics and that isn't a bad thing when you're building off an already amazing foundation. Visually this game does not disappoint! Infinite doesn't look very crisp on the console but it still has an amazing visual breadth to it thanks to the astounding backdrop it is set against. The wow inducing flying city that is Columbia is one of the most interesting and beautiful settings i've ever seen in a video game and is fleshed out so vividly by Irrational that I truly felt like this game took place in a real time and place. The detail and color in the city makes it pop and comes alive right before your eyes and there are so many fascinating things that you learn from the Voxophones and short films you watch throughout the game. These are the new collectibles in the game and take excellent mantle of the 1st game's collectibles. The voice work and story are stellar and absolutely do not disappoint. The story is fleshed out through bosses and conversations throughout the game and truly bring life to Columbia as you tear through civil war torn streets and floating buildings. I wish i could say more and go into more detail but metacritic won't allow it :P While i never thought it would be so Irrational really has outdone themselves AGAIN in crafting an amazing video game experience from which so many developers should and probably will build on. Infinite is exactly the kind of final hurrah for this generation that i have come to expect from such a great generation and even the hardest of the die hard BioShock fans will find much love and fun in BioShock Infinite! 10 out of freaking 10 Expand
  45. Mar 30, 2013
    A brilliant game. I've been loving this series game for over 4 years and Infinite has really shocked me. The story can always break your guess and create a new start. I wanna play it for a 2nd time just to understand the whole story totally.
  46. Mar 30, 2013
    Bioshock Infinity is not just a game it's a masterpiece. Starting from the most beautiful, detailed Colombia, hurricanes, intelligent gameplay, and ending with breathtaking and unforgettable story.
    The first contender for Game of the Year title.
    Definitely 10 out of 10.
  47. Mar 30, 2013
    We do mini thumbs up or thumbs down reviews over at mini-steam reviews, but if I could have given this game a score... it would have been a 10. http://www.ministeamreviews.com/bioshock-infinite/
  48. Mar 31, 2013
    This game is perfection on a disk. Bioshock Infinite has to be Game Of The Year without a doubt. With some of the best graphics and also a very deep and invoking storyline which will draw you in and leave you playing for hours on end. This game is a must have. For a price of $49.99 this game is superb and it is worth every single penny. I myself would happily pay $70 for this game. If youThis game is perfection on a disk. Bioshock Infinite has to be Game Of The Year without a doubt. With some of the best graphics and also a very deep and invoking storyline which will draw you in and leave you playing for hours on end. This game is a must have. For a price of $49.99 this game is superb and it is worth every single penny. I myself would happily pay $70 for this game. If you haven't already purchased this piece of art I suggest you get down to Gamestop right now and do. Expand
  49. Mar 31, 2013
    Amazing game. Love how you go in with a simple story: "Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt", but then gets deeper and deeper. Then comes the mind warping ending which makes you questing the more "simple" progression in the beginning and find subtle clues that were left throughout. Loved how they brought both the quantum paradox and divergent universe theories together to tell theAmazing game. Love how you go in with a simple story: "Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt", but then gets deeper and deeper. Then comes the mind warping ending which makes you questing the more "simple" progression in the beginning and find subtle clues that were left throughout. Loved how they brought both the quantum paradox and divergent universe theories together to tell the story. Can easily go over your head and can take time to settle. Graphics are not as great as the developers hyped them to be for PC. They use a lot of lighting trickery. Models and textures are what I would call average. But, the art style is beautiful. Amazing how they can create contrasting worlds in the same game. Animations are also very smooth and mostly organic. These are why I can let the other things slide.

Gameplay is also average similar to other shooters but with magic on the side (Almost identical to the other Bioshock games). There is the added dimension of the skylines which are really fun and super easy to navigate not becoming an unnecessarily complicated mechanic to lengthen the game, but to help speed things up a bit and also give you a wonderful view of this magnificent world. The game is certainly a lot easier than the original games. It was a breeze all the way, although the end became a bit tricky. There was little need for ammo/magic conservation or tactical cover. Ammo is quite plentiful and your health somewhat regenerates (not like the first game). This is not a bad thing this time round, as it was still super fun and kept you focused on the awesome story. There is 1999 mode which should increase difficulty after you complete your first playthrough.

My only gripe with the game is the save system. There are no multiple save slots, nor can you truly load your game from different points from where you progressed. I am personally okay with not being able to make manual saves, as this would make the game far too easy and remove the "game" or the fun in the challenge.

None of the small problems remove from what makes this game great. Certainly one of the greatest games of all time. Definitely one with possibly the greatest story that even rivals A-grade films like Inception.
  50. Mar 31, 2013
    This game, like the original Bioshock before it, is a work of art. The city you explore, the philosophies and characters you meet all stay with you long after you actually finish the game.
  51. Apr 2, 2013
    This game is nearly worth the hype. It's not as good as the original in terms of gameplay as it lacks the challenge, strategy, and atmosphere that Big Daddies added; the level design isn't as good from a gameplay perspectives (vs aesthetic one) likely because the number of unique environments; and the weapons & gameplay style aren't as customizable as Bioshock. However the story &This game is nearly worth the hype. It's not as good as the original in terms of gameplay as it lacks the challenge, strategy, and atmosphere that Big Daddies added; the level design isn't as good from a gameplay perspectives (vs aesthetic one) likely because the number of unique environments; and the weapons & gameplay style aren't as customizable as Bioshock. However the story & storytelling is where the game shines as well as the level of care that has been put into it, from the old time sounding renditions of modern pop songs, the Americana architecture of Columbia, & to having an AI character that is actually rewarding to interact with throughout the game. This is a must play for consoles.. Expand
  52. Apr 2, 2013
    I was very excited for this game, and rightfully so. I cannot deny it's beauty, it's tummy tickling steam punk mythos and it's violent action. For the most part I had alot of fun, and enjoyed the story to an extent. Despite all the good aspects of this game, the negatives is what brings the score down below all the raves it's receiving by the majority of the gaming community. The storyI was very excited for this game, and rightfully so. I cannot deny it's beauty, it's tummy tickling steam punk mythos and it's violent action. For the most part I had alot of fun, and enjoyed the story to an extent. Despite all the good aspects of this game, the negatives is what brings the score down below all the raves it's receiving by the majority of the gaming community. The story had the chance to be something amazing, but it's pace seemed somewhat forced and monotone.... and the climatic ending(which was the only real climax) was extremely "unclimatic" in my personal opinion. I feel as if the story could have been so much more, especially with an extension of good, solid playtime. From start to finish, this game is an average of 8 to 12 hours total play time. For 60 dollars, that's a major sell short for me personally. I think the story could have bloomed into so much more, with spaced out re-visits with a better attention to details/unlocks. The lack of total storyl ine gameplay time also brings in a sense of "incompleteness" as you will be unable to fully unlock the plethora of powers/weapon upgrades that are available in the game. I understand from the devs perspective that they wanted to add replayability by choosing different weapon and power upgrades with each play through, but with the story's pace and briefness, I can only see most gamers getting 2 or 3 play throughs before putting Bioshock Infinite down for good.

I sincerely hope that quality DLC may be able to breath that small bit of extra life into the game that it so desperately needs, but I cross my fingers that it won't be too little too late. By the time it would come around, I as I can imagine most will have moved on to new or other games which may raise the bar and overshadow this brief champion of the "now".
  53. Apr 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first thing that comes to mind here, looking at professional and user reviews, isn't 10/10 or 100% a bad review? Doesn't this score imply, or even mean that there is nothing that is wrong with this game, nothing that could be even slightly improved? The goal of perfection is an unattainable goal. A score of 100 on any game raises my suspicion of the clarity of people who play it.

Bioshock Infinite is an enjoyable game. It does not feel like the best game I could ever play. The game suffers from incredibly easy combat, but gives very little reason for your character being pretty much a genocidal, unstoppable killer. For a game shouted about to feature story as its main component, it sure features a lot of unnecessary combat.

The game improves on one of the major flaws of Bioshock 1, where the player was never given a moment's peace to explore, although often promised a moment of calm. This is heavily improved on, allowing the player at least two very large moments where they can explore without annoyance, any any moment taken to explore felt fantastic.

The sound design in this game is probably the most epic I've heard in quite some time. At the start of the game, approaching the crowd singing feels amazing, watching them sing and sway as a crowd is really good. Elizabeth's voice actor is outstanding, the moment where you are taken 70 years into the future and can hear through tears Elizabeth pleading for her safety, wildly and loudly is almost chilling. I feel that the sound approaches a greatness not previously experienced in games.

There is a strangely omnipresent sound of a high strung "what have you done" moment in the audio whenever you kill a foe. This, at first seems very pertinent to the situation, not really understanding who you're killing or why you're killing people. This sound remains throughout the game, and by the end it is questionable why it's still playing other than a "congratulations you've killed someone" sound, losing the reason behind its occurrence.

I found that while the game has a large set of weapons and powers to use, by half way through the game I was only using one weapon, and one power. While the game introduced other powers and weapons, I felt no reason to use them. Others will find fun in gaining the achievements for using the weapons, I suppose. The achievements regarding powers and weapons very little deviate from simply using them.

I feel that the story, up to a point, is very good. The story explores very well and opens up heavily to the idea of multiverse and time travel, and conveys quite well the problem with changing events in time. The game then falls completely flat on its face at the end in this regard by deciding that you can change events without any consequences other than the one you expect. The game seems completely open to showing time travel and its implications then by the end decides that the most major and regularly noted theory of time travel, specifically the grandfather paradox, is worth forgetting about and discarding.

I feel that the game could have really put more effort in, but was so focused on telling a story in the way they wanted (which is in their rights, of course, nobody has to obey to the regularly noted theories of time travel and such) that the story telling rapidly degenerated from being told exceptionally well to the end, where it defaults to stuffing revelations down the player's throat.

Whilst I feel the ending is a major letdown compared to the rest of the game, the rest of the game is filled with memorable moments that uplift it.

The game is not the masterpiece that many people want it to be, but is not the over-hyped disaster that the naysayers want it to be. It game is a good, thoroughly enjoyable yet flawed experience. But hey, Bioshock always has a paradise with flaws, so I guess that works out.
  54. Apr 6, 2013
    As a complete newcomer to Bioshock (you may even say unaware of its existence), I approached this game on the basis of a friend whose opinion I trust on these gaming matters. Now you've probably expect the clichéd, 'and I was not disappointed!' but... in all honesty I was.

Don't get me wrong, the visual enigma of this game surpasses anything I have played. I use a high end work-based laptop (not a gaming PC) and yet it still handled most of the graphical settings on very high or ultra quality very well I have no complaints at all. The graphics, coupled with the beautiful music absorb you into this strange and twisting world right from the start and carry you through a kaleidoscope of scenes and moods almost effortlessly.

Further, I enjoyed the free nature of this game and the ability it gives you to go off and have a little wonder, discovering hidden gems (including a beautiful musical moment fairly early through). For all its worth I think this is where this game comes into its own. It doesn't feel linear or forced even though there is usually only one way to the finish (save one place), as it holds you up in vast open battle arenas or warrens of streets and it is yours to go and explore and find vantage points (aided by the city's rail networks).

So my problem? The story. Now even in my harshest ponderings I cannot pick many holes. The perfection of other aspects, however, draws your attention to one or two plot confusions, and at points even using some of the game's mechanics (only twice in one case) to force the story onwards. It feels as though in places the designers got carried away until they hit a dead end and only then thought, "ah...now what?"

These forced links, as mentioned, are sometimes covered (without spoiling it) by two erudite characters who are involved from the start and only then does their significance become unearthed. And for all the rubbish that they speak, I think the implementation of them into the game is practically flawless and, at times, injects that little bit of comedy that these games often lack.

My last problem is a minor balancing issue, which is what brings this game from a 9 to an 8. I can't help but feel that the large arsenal of weapons and 'vigours' on offer are fully tuned to work with each other. I'd feel some weapons become very powerful when you start upgrading them and that really disperses the field somewhat, leaving you with an arsenal of one or two weapons and maybe one vigour which you specialise in. I just wish it was a little easier to be able to pick up new weapons and for them to pack the same punch as what you were using it'd feel that little bit more fluid.

In all this is a spectacular game. It is a story controlled by you and it doesn't feel cinematic despite its beauty. The designers keep you in the hot-seat throughout save perhaps the starting thirty minutes or so and immerse you in this strange and beautiful world. It is a beautiful game to play and difficult to put down, and you can play it the way you want. It is only when you finish and look back at what happened, as I have done, that you realise its flaws. But for everything in the world, do not let that put you off.
  55. Apr 9, 2013
    The first Bioshock's greatest strength was not it's gameplay and mechanics, although they were fun and innovative, the real strength was its surprisingly deep and thought provoking storyline. BioShock Infinite, dare I say, manages to raise the bar and exceed all my high expectations. It rewards the "thinking" player, which may alienate some who are just looking for a fast paces firstThe first Bioshock's greatest strength was not it's gameplay and mechanics, although they were fun and innovative, the real strength was its surprisingly deep and thought provoking storyline. BioShock Infinite, dare I say, manages to raise the bar and exceed all my high expectations. It rewards the "thinking" player, which may alienate some who are just looking for a fast paces first person shooter (as reflected in the other reviews. The game not only twists its focus on ideologies (examining the extremism of a theocracy, and later examining the extremism of the rebelling left-wing faction) but it also twists focus on its theme entirely. The gameplay has improved since the first BioShock, and has near perfect pacing. Expect to take many breaks in-between long and strenuous battles and simply explore the scenery and locale of Columbia. There is a lot to see and get distracted by. The game is multi-faceted and works on many levels. one of the most important being the A.I. of Elizabeth, a character who aides you a majority of the game. Simply put, this is the best BioShock game, and will be a game to be remembered, maybe even surpassing the original BioShock in terms of "importance" to the gaming community. Expand
  56. Apr 9, 2013
    When you first start this game you don't really understand why it is so highly ranked, why is it number one. But after one or two hours you realize that it is hard to stop playing it. When you finish the game, you realize this is one of the best games you have played in your life.
  57. Apr 9, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is not what you would call a perfect game. The middle gets a tad bit tedious, the campaign is relatively short, and there are some small character development flaws around a character or two. But overall I think it was a fantastic game and easily the best game that I've played all year. The setting is beautiful and a real treat to look at (as my computer can handle theBioShock Infinite is not what you would call a perfect game. The middle gets a tad bit tedious, the campaign is relatively short, and there are some small character development flaws around a character or two. But overall I think it was a fantastic game and easily the best game that I've played all year. The setting is beautiful and a real treat to look at (as my computer can handle the maximum settings) as well as be engaged in. The Skyline network is very well done as it is engaging enough where you're just not doing anything and easy enough to use so that it becomes a simple game play element. Which is another thing this game does very well. The gun play is superb and is filled with a pretty good amount of guns as they all have different and important tactics that they excel at. The health system is an enjoyable improvement and will keep you alive easily (but not too easily) if you're careful. Vigors, as they're called in this game, are a BioShock essential and make for an interesting combination of tactics. The companionship is excellent as I found Elizabeth to be a real help as she often found ammo, health, and salts for me to use. And of course there is the story which is excellent as it is engaging, interesting, and most importantly I was pleased with the ending. I'd say it was as good (maybe even better) as the ending to Red Dead Redemption. The big question though is if the game is worth the $60 price tag and I say yes. With a short story that deserves a couple, or maybe even a few play through's the campaign will come with a decent amount of hours, but the experience makes it all worth the while (and if you're skeptical, rent it or buy it on some massive Steam sale). I truly believe this is not a game that anyone should pass up. Expand
  58. Apr 9, 2013
    I actually loved to play this game, starting it up reminded me of watching a TV series, 'What's going to happen next?' I always thought. The characters in this game are all very well designed and have depth and Elizabeth feels more helpful than a burden. The ending is one of the most beautifully crafted i have seen as i felt emotionally attached to the Story/Characters. I think this gameI actually loved to play this game, starting it up reminded me of watching a TV series, 'What's going to happen next?' I always thought. The characters in this game are all very well designed and have depth and Elizabeth feels more helpful than a burden. The ending is one of the most beautifully crafted i have seen as i felt emotionally attached to the Story/Characters. I think this game lives up to the hype entirely! Expand
  59. Apr 9, 2013
    Quite simply one of the most breathtaking and stunning gaming experiences of this generation. A quite incredible story woven together wonderfully combined seamlessly with a satisfying and easy combat system. Infinite absolutely blew me away, I didn't think it could possibly contend with the masterpiece that was the original Bioshock, but personally I'd put it on the same level. It isn'tQuite simply one of the most breathtaking and stunning gaming experiences of this generation. A quite incredible story woven together wonderfully combined seamlessly with a satisfying and easy combat system. Infinite absolutely blew me away, I didn't think it could possibly contend with the masterpiece that was the original Bioshock, but personally I'd put it on the same level. It isn't afraid to upset the social apple-cart, and without being preachy or attempting to put the world to right it meticulously dissects the folly of man. Perhaps its biggest achievement is Elizabeth, a companion who wasn't a) A constant source of annoyance, or b) A spanner in the works of the combat, far from it she actually enhanced the story telling aspects, was likable and brought a new dimension to the combat system. The art style and graphics were absolutely marvelous, Columbia lives and breathes like a real city, much like the sunken depths of rapture. A quite remarkable gaming experience that I would recommend to anyone who appreciates a story. Expand
  60. Apr 13, 2013
    First of all, I want to clarify that BioShock Infinite is an amazing game that needs to be experienced by all. Anyone who says that you can see the ending coming or that anything in this game is below beautiful, they are hugely mistaken. The people who are writing bad reviews on this game obviously lack creativity and imagination and have nothing better to do then hate on a game that willFirst of all, I want to clarify that BioShock Infinite is an amazing game that needs to be experienced by all. Anyone who says that you can see the ending coming or that anything in this game is below beautiful, they are hugely mistaken. The people who are writing bad reviews on this game obviously lack creativity and imagination and have nothing better to do then hate on a game that will be talked about for generations to come. The gameplay is fun and addictive, the way irrational tried to incorporate a semi-open world was innovative, but, I can admit that it could have been done better. The textures are beautiful no matter what anyone says, especially on PC, and the story is one that will stick in your head throughout most of your life, and will probably be referred to or discussed for years to come, since the ending was quite unclear and the story was a bit complex. All in all it is a brilliant masterpiece of storytelling that anyone with a widespread imagination and an interest in storytelling and art should buy and enjoy Expand
  61. Apr 30, 2013
    The story is what you will play this game for You might start out impressed with the art style but that will fade and the enemy AI is pretty poor.
    However the story is very strong but drags in some places around the three quarter mark.
    The enemies are so easy its just a walk in the park until the last few moments of the game. I didn't like the first two games in the series and i did

I didn't like the first two games in the series and i did play them but i really did enjoy this game although i cant see myself playing it through again.

Also super powers are freely available on the street but you are the only person in the whole city to use them that's just poor design. i would rather fight a harder enemy who had the same tools as me.
  62. May 3, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is one of the best works of Irrational Games. The Steampunk atmosphere and also the story are so charming. If you want to play a game with good story and if you want to play a game for surviving in a good atmosphere, don't miss that game
  63. May 4, 2013
    There's an awful lot of love and hate for this game. So for the purpose of keeping things simple, I'd like to give a in depth review (no spoilers) that looks at the positive and negative side of the argument to help people decide whether or not to buy it.
    First off, don't go into this game expecting a fast paced FPS or you will be dissappointed. This is a story driven game. There are plenty of actions sequences, but playing just for them will leave you dissapointed. Infinite's story is one of the best I've ever seen. However, you need to get in the habit of slowing down and really taking in the world around you. Hunting for voxophones and listening to conversations really brings the world to life. The story can be a bit confusing as a lot of things have symbolism that won't be apparent until late in the game, but it's the kind of story that will make you want to go back and play again to better understand these points. I won't give away the ending, but it really does end with a bang.
    Secondly, the gameplay. veterans of the series will notice right off that weapon slots have been reduced to two. This is both a positive and negative thing. Personally, it steered me more towards using the powers rather than just run and gunning. However, it takes away the ability to swap ammo types, which feels limiting. The vigors (plasmids) are a lot of fun to use, but are incredibly unbalanced. The first one you get can possess enemies, and when upgraded, causes soldiers to fight for you, then suicide when the timer runs out, allowing entire rooms to be cleared by turning everyone against each other. While they are varied and fun, more work needed to be done to ensure balance.
    Third, the world. Leaving Rapture was a risk that paid off. The first time you set foot in Columbia made my jaw drop. The vibrant colors were a great change of pace from Rapture and any other game in recent months. The city is widely varied and beautiful to look at. However, while work was put into the design, the textures are not as high as could be. This doesn't really take away from the experience, but it could have made a great city even better. Character models work nice though. Some people say it's linear, but in a story driven game, that's almost a necessity. A open world would have lost focus on the main story. I'm not saying it absolutly wouldn't work, but it would have required a major redesign.
  64. May 14, 2013
    One of the best games story wise and graphical immersion I've played You will instantly get submersed into the world of Columbia the second you get into it, the games main characters are easily likeable and interesting at the same time, it met my hype with all expectations, while indeed far different from traditional bioshock games as of a "creepy not sure what's around the corner" styleOne of the best games story wise and graphical immersion I've played You will instantly get submersed into the world of Columbia the second you get into it, the games main characters are easily likeable and interesting at the same time, it met my hype with all expectations, while indeed far different from traditional bioshock games as of a "creepy not sure what's around the corner" style its more about the whole "surreal" and "mind blowing" effect this time around, You can without a doubt tell this this is one polished Triple-A game, the ONLY complaint I have is the ending is a tad hard to comprehend at first but with some quick searching online and maybe another replay its understandable. Expand
  65. Jun 1, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite was a joy to play, I enjoyed the storyline throughout the entire game, The Gameplay was solid, exciting and thrilling, The Graphics were just amazing, but there were some parts were the graphics look fake, just an example, at the start of the game when you get baptised a boy runs up to you and gives you a telegram, he looked really fake but who cares?I have playedBioshock Infinite was a joy to play, I enjoyed the storyline throughout the entire game, The Gameplay was solid, exciting and thrilling, The Graphics were just amazing, but there were some parts were the graphics look fake, just an example, at the start of the game when you get baptised a boy runs up to you and gives you a telegram, he looked really fake but who cares?I have played previous Bioshock games before and they changed the way I enjoy games, There are many guns to choose from but you can only carry two guns at a time, this is good because you really have to think about what you need, The vigors plasmids from the other bioshock games) really bring the game to life but I only used two of them throughout the game, I spent about 14-15 hours playing this, there are many things you can do like finding loot, gear etc. I would recommend this game to anybody because they will finish the game breathless. Expand
  66. Feb 27, 2017
    Pinnacle of burning trash masquerading around as a deep story with great gameplay. Terrible explanation of quantum mechanics, a failure in storytelling, a failure all around.
  67. Oct 27, 2014
    Pros:
    Superb voice acting
    +Good music +Good artwork/style +Sky-Hooks/sky-lines are fun Cons: -Nonsense story -Little exploration -Inconsistent and poor characterization. Many characters are stupid. -Generally bad combat -Not really useful Vigors/abilities -2-gun carrying limit -Generic, boring (boss) fights I wanted to adore this game. I wanted to recommend it to everyone
    Pros:
    Superb voice acting
    +Good music
    +Good artwork/style
    +Sky-Hooks/sky-lines are fun

Cons:
    -Nonsense story
    -Little exploration
    -Inconsistent and poor characterization. Many characters are stupid.
    -Generally bad combat
    -Not really useful Vigors/abilities
    -2-gun carrying limit
    -Generic, boring (boss) fights

I wanted to adore this game. I wanted to recommend it to everyone I knew to play it. The trailers looked so promising, and I liked Bioshock 1 & 2; I just *had* to play the third one.

Of course, I was blown away by the introduction: the shining, bright, beautiful hovering city of Columbia, and the background choir reminiscent of Amazing Grace. Followers praying in the serene, candlelit water, and an overzealous baptism foreshadowing something profoundly more sinister.

I enjoyed the game until half an hour after rescuing Elizabeth. That was when the game's problems became apparent. The plasmids, now re-skinned as Vigors, lost much of its usefulness. All you have to do is spam Murder of Crows or fire for crowd control, but even then you rarely use them. Undertow was perhaps the most interesting and unique of the Vigors, and I didn't use it that often.

The gameplay, particularly in regards to guns, was frustrating. You have about a dozen to pick from, but you can only carry two. That doesn't sound so bad until you realize that 1) you can't buy guns and 2) many fights are optimal for a certain gun, which means you won't have opportunities swap different guns until much later. Also, you can't craft or modify your weapons or ammo in any way, so you're stuck with a generic gun.

Combat was mediocre at best. Same enemies suicidally bum-rushing toward you and rarely ducking behind cover when injured, with the occasional bullet sponge handyman thrown in. Shoot, spam crowd control, run, duck, rinse and repeat. Perhaps the most difficult part of combat was the Halo-styled shield, and if you were out of supplies you'd have to run to a corpse to gather if Elizabeth didn't give you anything. That was tedious and I didn't need to manage my resources, unlike the first two games. All of this was evident when you had to "kill" Elizabeth's "ghost" mother--not once, but *three* times in the same fight, with an infinite army of zombies. Easily, one of the worst and most monotonous boss fights ever.

Then, the story. Wow, was it bad, and just behind Diablo 3. This story and plot was clunky and had more holes than a pumice stone. Comstock had the sense to lock Elizabeth in a tower, but didn't bother to groom her to become his heir until much later? She could open up tears in her tower, but never once tried stepping through it? Why didn't Booker and Elizabeth escape that way ASAP, either? Why is Songbird chasing Booker in the 2nd "timeline" when that timeline's Elizabeth is safe elsewhere? You probably get the point, but there are so many holes and problems it'd take a lot more than my character allotment to explain it all, especially the B.S. ending. You might not catch these problems the first time around, but you will the second or third.

What a disappointment. The wonderful voice acting, the enlightening tidbits of the voxophone recordings, and the Sky-Hooks and the artwork/style are the saving graces from me giving it a 2 or lower. Please, don't believe in the hype and buy this game.
  68. Jun 8, 2014
    the graphics are really poor, the gameplay of the past century and uninteresting story.
    The first and the second was really pleasant (the second less than the first)
    but then I took no pleasure and I had to force myself to finish this game.
  69. Apr 30, 2013
    the worst and most overrated game in the history of gaming.. it's terrible really, it's extremely tedious, it literally has the most repetitive gameplay ever, You spend the whole game shooting the same people in different places, jeez they even all have the same model, it really feels like you're killing that same guy millions of times, and damn that guy just wont die.. It's below average,the worst and most overrated game in the history of gaming.. it's terrible really, it's extremely tedious, it literally has the most repetitive gameplay ever, You spend the whole game shooting the same people in different places, jeez they even all have the same model, it really feels like you're killing that same guy millions of times, and damn that guy just wont die.. It's below average, the gameplay has nothing special, it's a normal shooter, they added some "super-powers" trying to give a false feeling that this game has something special, but those powers are just a week imitation of mass effect 3 and other ARPG games.. the game is full of redundant missions, just to make more tedious gameplay hours, like that mission where you get the electricity ability, or when that rebel takes your plane, so you go bring her some weapons from a gunsmith, which leads to another useless mission.. Sky city environment is kinda good.. but nothing is really thrilling about the graphics, cartoon-ish graphics can be good but they never can be awesome.
    I was playing far cry 3 for the second time (repeating outposts) while playing Bioshock,, and i definitely enjoyed far cry 3 second-side-missions-walkthrough way more than bioshock infinite.
  70. Jun 5, 2013
    this review is copied from user Beast_Pot_Pie ecause his review reflects EVERYTHING I think of the game and packs it in nicer written english than I would have been able to write...

quote: "- Decent lighting effects (overshadowed by low res textures) - Solid sound design and effects. Music in the game helps support the plot at points in creative ways. - Excellent, believable,

quote:

"- Decent lighting effects (overshadowed by low res textures)

- Excellent, believable, voice acting. This is the strongest point of the game IMO.

Cons:

- Completely on rails experience. You have this amazing city in the sky, but you can't explore it. You can't use the sky rail to move from one side of the city to the other. There is no sense of exploration. Columbia is reduced to a bunch of kill hallways.

- No sense of atmosphere. You never forgot for a second that you were at the bottom of the ocean in Bioshock's Rapture. You'd hear creaking noises from the water pressure, and see leaking water from the outside coming in, etc. However, Columbia is not this way. You forget that you are floating in the sky unless you actively stop what you are doing to look at a building move slightly. This is the opposite of immersion.

- Bland, generic, boring, useless weapons. I used 2 weapons in this game (volley gun and pistol) for 95% of the game. Except for occasionally using the sniper and RPG, you don't need to use any other weapons. They are there as an artificial display of 'weapon diversity'. Even the guns I did use were boring even when fully upgraded.

- The vigors are completely unoriginal and boring. I did not need to switch between vigors as much as I should of.

- Atrocious enemy AI. They scream and run at you with a billy club while you have an RPG. They seem to take cover and uncover at scripted times.

- Key plot details are left in purposely out-of-your-way places (the Voxophones). If you don't stop everything you are doing and listen to them, then you won't understand the story and ending. This is horrible and lazy storytelling. The audio logs in Bioshock 1 complemented the story, they were not essential to it.

- The story is incredibly convoluted and poorly written, and a lot of complex details are rushed in and thrown at you during the last 20 minutes, so you are sure not to understand. Terrible pacing. Complexity is not a substitute for quality.

- The game is about 8 hours long. This is just downright insulting. Spend $60 to play an 8 hour game? A horrible, boring, poorly written, game no less?

- False Advertising: This was a completely different game than what was shown in the E3 demos. I understand developers sometimes have to cut things out here and there for time reasons. But this was full-on Aliens:Colonial Marines-like false advertising. Watered down visuals (no dynamic lighting), watered down physics (small objects in the world don't get picked up by Bucking Bronco like they did in the demo), watered down animations, watered down enemy AI, and watered down textures. Even the sky-rail is better implemented than the final product. I don't care if it was 'because of consoles' or not. No reason is justified for lying to us. I have no idea why Irrational is not getting sued like Gearbox did.

This is the entire game: You go to an area, shoot some enemies, loot, talk to Liz or have a cutscene, then rinse and repeat. Game of the year? Are you joking?

If you liked the first two Bioshocks in any way, do not buy this game. It is an insult to the Shock series of games.

There was not one second of this game where I could say it was "game of the year" and "completely groundbreaking" and "setting a new standard for video games" or any of the other hyperbole tossed around from gaming publications."

end quote

seriously, all the superlatives and claims of Bioshock Infinite being "Game of the year" are just a bad joke!
    even worse, those claims made by gaming publications are evidence for the industry buying their good reviews!
    otherwise I couldn't explain how magazines, e.g. Kotaku, Destructoid, GameStar, etc. pp., basically ALL_THE_OTHERS would overlook EERY SINGLE ISSUE this game has and there are just too many, small and bigger.

but, I have to admit, I even find it more troubling, that so_many_gamers seem to not see these problems/faults for themselves...
    I suspect these are mainly younger gamers and/or this generation has forgotten how to form an own opinion, without being introduced to one by some gaming-outlet.

it really is SAD! sad and despicable at the same time... maybe I am getting old (sure I am), but I am deeply thankful that I was raised in a time, where PC games looked aweful. this helped me greatly to see beneath the graphics and all the polish (mainly because there wasn't any) and care for the mechanics and the GAMEPLAY of a game in the first place!

I would NOT say it is a horrible game BUT IT IS NOT A MASTERPIECE either!
    I'd give it 7 points, but it's a 0 to even the score out a bit more
  71. Apr 2, 2013
    I'm totally, totally disappointed by Bioshock Infinite: a lot of good ideas, both in the script and in the gameplay, badly assembled to fit more a teenager-COD-ish audience.

the whole game is about "run! run! shoot! shoot! get out of the city!" while the script stays there rotting till the last 20 minutes of the game. even though, it's damn full of wholes, just like Mass Effect 3 ending.

game industry, where the are you going??
  72. Mar 27, 2013
    First off, I disagree with the fact that a mixed review is considered to be only a 5 and 6 rather than also including a 7. If I had to give this game a number rating, it would be a 7.5. This is not a bad game by any means, but I don't have fully positive things to say about it. Starting with the presentation, this game is nothing short of breathtaking at times. Many small models are veryFirst off, I disagree with the fact that a mixed review is considered to be only a 5 and 6 rather than also including a 7. If I had to give this game a number rating, it would be a 7.5. This is not a bad game by any means, but I don't have fully positive things to say about it. Starting with the presentation, this game is nothing short of breathtaking at times. Many small models are very low poly, however the textures and colors do more than enough to make up for that minor complaint. At times I did however encounter draw distance problems when playing on all ultra settings which broke the immersion, but they were more prominently noticeable in the beginning of the game because there was no combat. This game created a new aesthetic very different than Bioshock 1 & 2 with a colorful and vibrant world that exceeds many unreal engine titles. It works very well with the tone of the game, but it would have been nice to see some more improvements for the PC version in the graphics department. The gameplay is where I start to have mixed feelings. This is not a challenging games in the sense that dying has any impact on you, as it just makes you run through an area again. The challenge lies more in how you choose to play. When it comes to the actual combat, it is hard to describe. Many weapons feel satisfying to use, however there are times when cheesing your way through an area seems to be more efficient than exploiting all resources at your disposal. I played on medium for a quarter of the game and then switched to hard which did not seem to solve this problem at all. When comparing the way I played prior Bioshock games with the combat in Infinite, I used almost all the plasmids to their full effect, and not just for their designated area. But in Infinite, I barely had any need to use any vigors other than possession. I believe this can be boiled down to the fact that you may only have 2 active vigors at a time which require you to pause the game and open a radial menu which stops the flow of combat and ultimately does not translate well into a PC game, rather than having them all available using F1 and so on in Bioshock 1. That was also a clunky system, but it did not slow down the game. The lack of saves and quick saves can also be a fairly major problem. At many times, I skipped a tip screen which was telling me something important because I was using the F key to loot containers. There is no delay between showing the tip and then continuing the game. This then requires you to restart at last checkpoint if you want to read it again (The game menu that can be opened with O is not helpful for displaying any information and is largely pointless) and the checkpoint can be in excess of 10 minutes or more back, and it does not save any of the items you collected up to that point. The amount of backtracking that is required is also poorly implemented. If you want to find new gear or stat upgrades, you must backtrack very far, sometimes 3-4 areas back. Since there is no map, and the only way you know where you're going is by using the navigation display by pressing N (which is only for finding the next objective) it can be harrowing trying to find these special locations again. I ended up just skipping many of them because they were not a deciding factor in anything that happened. More gameplay problems exist later on such as a lack of enemy variety and encounters and it usually becomes the same formula each time. Overall, I believe the earlier Bioshock games tackled combat encounters in a better way, however the way combat "felt" in Infinite was better. The story is another area that I did not feel very positive about. Without spoiling anything, the beginning is slow but interesting to the point where you want to get more of an understanding about Elizabeth, while the middle is EXTREMELY flat and lack luster and does not satisfy any earlier curiosities. The ending is where the game really shines, but it feels like everything that you were expecting to see in the middle of the game is at the end. While the ending was well thought out, it did not make up for the entire middle portion of the game which was nearly 60 to 70% of the content. I felt extremely bored during many missions in the middle and just wanted to learn more about the power Elizabeth wields. Instead, you're left with a pretty boring attempt at trying to create emotion between other characters, but none of them are memorable other than Elizabeth. There is obviously more to be said to fully explain my feelings about this game, but they require much more information and knowledge with prior games to get the point across. This is definitely a game that will be looked back at positively, but the fact that is being coined as an "unforgettable experience" is a vast overstatement. Good? Yes. Problems? Yes. A truly unique and inspiring game? Not so much. Expand
  73. Mar 27, 2013
    Very very visually stunning but none of your choices make any game impacting events nor do they change the outcome of the end.
    the story is MEH at best with out givining 2 much away they go very doctor who on us....
    the voice acting is top notch the guns are limited to say the least no real upgrades like the other games and no custom ammo the vigors are boring aswell most are exact
    the voice acting is top notch
    the vigors are boring aswell most are exact remakes of ones we have already seen and only 2 are useful at best your also never forced to use them burning down a wall charging a generator) environmental interaction is very linear with the rifts.
    you are only doing what they want you to do with very little alternitves i think people are blinded by the clouds and angles to truely compare to the quality of the other bioshocks.
    6.5 at most not game of the year
    farcry 3 much better imo
  74. May 17, 2013
    Extremely overrated game. Combat is a major lackluster it uses a cheap but emotionally stunning plot twist at the end which could last for days until you wake up and realize that this game has major flaws. Apparently all those "official" reviews were still dreaming while scoring it.
  75. Apr 2, 2013
    This is a somewhat fun game. Nice graphics, good action, good controls. However, I am not impressed by the story. It is quite boring. The other thing I don't like is that the whole game is linear and scripted. So, you don't get much choice on what to do or where to go. It sometimes looks like an open world game, but once you start playing you realize that you are on a patch and theThis is a somewhat fun game. Nice graphics, good action, good controls. However, I am not impressed by the story. It is quite boring. The other thing I don't like is that the whole game is linear and scripted. So, you don't get much choice on what to do or where to go. It sometimes looks like an open world game, but once you start playing you realize that you are on a patch and the game won't let you go any other way... Fans of the series will probably like it, but I will just complete it and move on! Expand
  76. Apr 5, 2013
    Infinite is a competent action game with a layered story and good art design. The introduction is incredible. It leads the player into the sky city of Columbia, and has them experience gameplay mechanics through sideshows. Elizabeth is, of course, a pretty good character. She is not without faults though, including an obsession with coins and the ability to go invincible whenever there isInfinite is a competent action game with a layered story and good art design. The introduction is incredible. It leads the player into the sky city of Columbia, and has them experience gameplay mechanics through sideshows. Elizabeth is, of course, a pretty good character. She is not without faults though, including an obsession with coins and the ability to go invincible whenever there is combat. Elizabeth babysits the player, rather than the other way around, as she throws you ammo and health when the game decides you could use a hand out.

The core of the game is shooting and action. You’ll be unleashing Vigors (Plasmids) left and right. Sky-lines are decent fun to zip around on, but are not used in enough encounters. It’s actually quite a linear shooter against pretty bland enemies. Larger levels take away a lot of intimate qualities of the series. I really miss the Splicers from the first two BioShock games.

Handymen are basically scripted mini bosses, they show up when the game designer decides they should. They appear about 4 times and aren’t interwoven into the game like Big Daddies. You certainly don’t get the opportunity to pick when to engage. Elizabeth yells “Handyman” and the game is on. The Songbird is barely worth a mention. It basically only appears in cut scenes and cannot hurt the player.

Disappointingly, for a BioShock game, there are no significant changes to the world based on moral choices. The world shuffles you down a narrow path with side rooms and dull voxaphones. I rarely felt compelled to explore the world of Columbia but there are some decent audio logs near the end. The save system is incredibly disappointing. Checkpoint saves are bad!

The game loses focus during the middle. It’s clear they intended for these bits to be a demonstration of what they try to explain at the end. However, I lost all care for the world of Columbia after some annoying backtracking. I wasn’t invested in the world and could have done without the Call of Duty scenes. The game would have achieved something greater if it stuck to a more grounded Columbia shown in the intro.
  77. Mar 29, 2013
    Having loved the first two Bioshock games, I of course had to purchase the third installment.

This definitely pales in comparison to its predecessors. If anything, it's a dumb-downed version of the previous two that plays the race card with the same story plus an added heavy religious sauce. The zip line system is as another user stated just a gimmick reminding me of the same system in Metroid Prime 3.
    The game is completely linear with no alternative endings or decision making; no hacking or minigames.
    Less weapons, less "power" abilities, and less interesting, slightly prettier. As another user already stated looks good from afar, but has poor looking textures up close.

Elizabeth "Give me something more challenging"
    You Insert #$@is

Buy this when it's on sale.
  78. Apr 5, 2013
    Well told story with one of the most complete worlds ever made. Solid game play that is fun and worthwhile. Sound and animation are very good. Must buy
  79. Mar 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall, the first part was fun and visually stunning but got more and more disappointing as it went on. The graphics and visuals were great but they made the game waaay too easy. Being set back a few feet away is not much of a punishment and if you can't really die then wheres the thrill? On top of that, what happened with the songbird?? We only saw it a few times, never got to see it or ride it. (and "controlling" it for that brief fight towards the end totally doesn't count, that was a tease) and nothing crazy happened when the songbird DID show up that we hadn't already seen in the trailers. You just can't have a Bioshock game without Rapture or the Big Daddys and Little Sisters. A steam-punk theme FPS with powers aren't the staples to the franchise, The City and the Big Daddys are. Expand
  80. Apr 6, 2013
    Well, because I'm not getting paid the game developer, nor working for a company (see: online review "magazine") that is getting greased by the game developer, I'm going to be honest. Bioshock is somewhat ambitious, but comes across as yet another unpolished, rushed, game with an unfinshed feel. A lot of the areas are lacking those little details that impress you without you noticingWell, because I'm not getting paid the game developer, nor working for a company (see: online review "magazine") that is getting greased by the game developer, I'm going to be honest. Bioshock is somewhat ambitious, but comes across as yet another unpolished, rushed, game with an unfinshed feel. A lot of the areas are lacking those little details that impress you without you noticing them, making the game environment feel kinda plain a lot of the time. The lighting effects are superb, and there's some great effects shown in the larger enviroments, such as the range blur, but the skins and textures are really banal.

I can think of a dozen games way better than this, so I don't see why all the critics are tripping over themselves to gush about it so much. Oh wait, ye$$$ I do. Take it from an experienced, impartial gamer Bioshock is nothing to write home about, save your money and get it for $10, cuz it's not worth $60.
  81. Pat
    Mar 29, 2013
    Enjoyed the experience a good bit due to the crazy setting and story but just like the original Bioshock, the combat that you are doing throughout the entire game is lacking.
  82. Mar 26, 2013
    Right let's get one thing straight...
    I loved original bioshock, and number dissapointed to no end.
    Bioshock Infinite is good: 1. Gorgeous graphics 2. Average gameplay not overwhelming amount of effort has gone in to making the gameplay positive though at no point was it bad or unplayable, plus seen no glitches in full play through on day one since release. 3. Very short, very very
    Right let's get one thing straight...
    I loved original bioshock, and number dissapointed to no end.
    Bioshock Infinite is good:
    1. Gorgeous graphics
    3. Very short, very very short only about 8-10 hours of play is a bad point so know that it won't be a game that will last.
    4. Most importantly the story of this game is absolutely out of this world this game has the best story of any game released in recent history not to say it could easily trump most highly appraised games of old as well.
    So all in all if you are looking for a game with a lot of shooting and killing and such go back to playing COD kid this is a game for those of us who love a great narrative frankly I think this game could be the best game I have ever played, when it comes to story at least, and few games match the beautiful graphics that are jaw-dropping for even the most jaded players.

If anything give it a look and if you are not interested in playing it at least watch someone play through the thing so you know the story as it is worth seeing cuz it is amazing
  83. Apr 4, 2013
    Gameplay: Bioshock Infinite's combat is so dumbed down it reflects the state of the gaming industry; remove content out and people will claim it to be a masterpiece. There is so much missing that it can hardly be called a Bioshock game, shame on Irrational games to limit the amount of weapons to a disgraceful two, shame on 2k for reducing plasmids from 13 to 8 as well as copying andGameplay: Bioshock Infinite's combat is so dumbed down it reflects the state of the gaming industry; remove content out and people will claim it to be a masterpiece. There is so much missing that it can hardly be called a Bioshock game, shame on Irrational games to limit the amount of weapons to a disgraceful two, shame on 2k for reducing plasmids from 13 to 8 as well as copying and pasting them all from Bioshock with essentially reskinning. Liked passive gene tonics? You won't like this game, because they made a huge leap backwards from a total of 24 to just 4. The 'tears' are limited to and only limited to combat: Ammo, Med-kits, Ground Turret, Flight Turret, Cover and Grappling hook. What did Infinite do right with combat? Simply the sky-rails and handymen fights; too bad there are a gran total of 7 of them throughout the 12 hour game.

The story: Convoluted complemented with unmotivated characters. Elizabeth is such a forgettable character I had trouble remembering it writing this review, don't center your game's story around a generic Disney princess and invoking emotion for the sake of invoking emotion. The racism debacle has now spread from books to games, it's refreshing to have a game that treads unsteady ground for once, however like in literature the 'Racism is bad' theme gets redundant and deprives from the main story. The ending is great regardless of what anyone has told you, maybe rushed, but It is defiantly interesting.

The visuals: Running on Unreal Engine 3, Irrational managed to make everything not look like plastic. Visual fidelity is fantastic but the city of Columbia is so forgettable where as Rapture was a hand-crafted marvel. The centerpieces and design choices are nothing new, the steam punk fad has been around, Columbia is not a new or interesting concept considering the explanation is just 'Science Because'.

In the end I didn't dislike this game because it was a jumbled up mess, utterly terrible and I had spend 60 USD on it, I dislike it because it's just so mediocre, It's not a great game that makes me exited to find out what happens next, and it's not a bad game that I can laugh and poke fun at, it's in the uncanny valley of video game development along-side Call of Duty and recent Bioware games.
  84. Jan 12, 2014
    It is a good game but not a great one. I wasn't going to grade it, but it got too overrated for me. The worst part was the game's repeatability and predictability (especially if someone has already played it's predecessors). Also, it had a slight console taste, which never gets along with my game taste buds.
  85. Mar 31, 2013
    To people crying about anit-christian whatever, remember this is a free country,not a theocracy, and your religion is basically a cult. Try this. Instead of coercing people into your religion, brain washing your children into your religion, and pushing your religion like crack dealers, how about just letting people use their brains and see if they actually choose your fantasy withoutTo people crying about anit-christian whatever, remember this is a free country,not a theocracy, and your religion is basically a cult. Try this. Instead of coercing people into your religion, brain washing your children into your religion, and pushing your religion like crack dealers, how about just letting people use their brains and see if they actually choose your fantasy without being forced. Do you really think the average person, like your children, would choose to live their lives based on a fantasy if given a choice? Of course not, that's why you brain wash them into being religiously insane it makes you feel better about your insane choice and keeps more zombies in the fold. Few people can escape the hell that is being raised a religious clone. Expand
  86. May 10, 2013
    I Have mixed opinions. The game is good, but I don`t think people get the overwhelming subliminal context. First of all it was released on Indians Martyr day before Patriots day. Main character is unlikeble normal american who is familiar with guns. In this game Christians are pictured as demon lovers and founding fathers of USA are demonised. Why such context when America has gun controlI Have mixed opinions. The game is good, but I don`t think people get the overwhelming subliminal context. First of all it was released on Indians Martyr day before Patriots day. Main character is unlikeble normal american who is familiar with guns. In this game Christians are pictured as demon lovers and founding fathers of USA are demonised. Why such context when America has gun control in mind and why such a big marketing? I`m not bashing the game but I´m warning you to be aware. Expand
  87. Dec 26, 2013
    The rating this game has is crazy! a 7 is generous. Its a matter of taste i know, but seriously, the graphics arent that good, sometimes u get stuck running around a corner or an obstacle. The weapons feel underpowered (I dont like having to shot a guy 3-5 times in the head with a rifle to kill him) and the salts arent all that different, its basically just how you want to stun the badThe rating this game has is crazy! a 7 is generous. Its a matter of taste i know, but seriously, the graphics arent that good, sometimes u get stuck running around a corner or an obstacle. The weapons feel underpowered (I dont like having to shot a guy 3-5 times in the head with a rifle to kill him) and the salts arent all that different, its basically just how you want to stun the bad guys and with what power. There has been put a lot of attention into the characters, environment and story though, which is the games saving grace. Expand
  88. Mar 31, 2013
    Over hyped, linear storyline, poor mechanics, choices are mere aesthetics, False advertisement, producers and developers clearly had no idea what they were doing, seems like they spent most of their money getting two people to write song about the damn game then clearly adding to the single player experience then taking away from it. example of why disappointedOver hyped, linear storyline, poor mechanics, choices are mere aesthetics, False advertisement, producers and developers clearly had no idea what they were doing, seems like they spent most of their money getting two people to write song about the damn game then clearly adding to the single player experience then taking away from it. example of why disappointed http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/fuusn2/bioshock-infinite-ten-minute-demo-gameplay Expand
  89. Mar 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Visual and display is stunning. The background is very interesting and creative that I give 10/10 for those. But in many way, it disappoints me a lot.
    The choices in the game, which appeared a lot in the gameplay trailer, are hardly found and doesn't have effect at all.The title enemy, songbird, has no presence that It rarely come out. Also, fighting with (probably spoiler) mother ghost and trumpet enemy makes no sense. Not to mention that the game didn't much talk about the 10/10 background setting. The conflict between anarchist and patriot were limited and only thing that player can do is 'spectating'
    The game developer also appeared a lot about Elizabeth but the only thing I remember about her was punching my face and scavenging like beggar. Where's the Elizabeth in the gamplay trailer? The ending was surprising truthfully but makes no connection with Colombia and all that fighting I had done. It's like mixture of Taken, Inception, and Stein;Gate.
  90. Apr 4, 2013
    I with all the other negative reviewers.this game is boring.An other reviewer said it best."Just because an idea is overly convoluted and complex, doesn't make it cool". The ending was muddled garbage.I used my ugly guns without needing those cheezy powers.Its too linear and it never too hard.No challenge at all.The person who watched me play said "thats it?" for a game that spends 3yrs inI with all the other negative reviewers.this game is boring.An other reviewer said it best."Just because an idea is overly convoluted and complex, doesn't make it cool". The ending was muddled garbage.I used my ugly guns without needing those cheezy powers.Its too linear and it never too hard.No challenge at all.The person who watched me play said "thats it?" for a game that spends 3yrs in dev.The game should be longer.With no multiplayer?.With the voice of Jax Teller from son of anarchy"you've got be kidding me". Expand
  91. Apr 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am astounded by the many positive reviews. Aside from the graphics, this game is lame in every conceivable way. The "story" barely deserves that label. It's just a bunch of very tired time-travel and alternate-reality cliches piled on top of one another, with no semblance of character development or plot. The ending is senseless and depressing. And entirely bereft of logic. Why did DeWitt do what he did? Who were the two people following him around? What was the big bird?? And most important, if everything was predestined, why the should I care?? ASIDE from all that, the gameplay is really weak. The weapons lack precision, the kills are unsatisfying, the combat is poorly paced. And there are WAY too many on-rails segments. (Literally on-rails, not just metaphorically.) This 'game' is a barely-interactive embarrassment. I played it through to the bitter end so you don't have to. Trust me, it's not worth it. Expand
  92. Mar 29, 2013
    Absolutely awful story and ending. It pretty much ruins the entire game. The gameplay is average and the graphics are not as good as Bioshocks (art wise). Wait for sale instead of blowing $60.
  93. May 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock Infinite is not a game that is what it sets out to be and what many people claim. It is and has been from the beginning trying to being taken seriously. So I took it as seriously as possible and in the end it ended up me being disappointed. The game is nothing more than a normal first person shooter. The game which gives you quite a few vigors and quite a few guns makes you pretty much pick your favorite two since in the end you won't have enough money to have too many. While a lot of the plot tries it's hardest to get a narrative going it doesn't truly stick to one other than its multiverse theory. Which it does not deliver a good and meaningful ending that it has been bragging about since the first trailer which showed quite a lot of promise. It kept to the insanity of the old Shock games while being in this serene seeming place.
    Instead of Elizabeth just throwing you med kits and tearing portals open she would strengthen your vigors which seemed amazing. She would actually be helpful instead of helpful in the way of finding an item on the ground is. The complete lack of changing how she acts throughout the item giving process can complete kill any mood the plot has set up. In one scene where she feels betrayed by Booker she complete refuses to talk to him and only utters comments that are to make him feel worse. Then the next second you're in a battle and she happily says, "Here take this health kit." I literally bursted out laughing.

They also try throughout the game to make Comstock and his white elistest into these bad men, which can be done there is nothing I will say about that. But then halfway through the game you enter a portal where the Vox Populi are now these horrible people which makes the gesture of the game going, "Well see we're not racist or picking sides." Which is a cop-out. As well as in the section where you're in the museum and Comstock retells these tragic events that were horrid and not truly knowing what happens unless you learned in history what actually happened it makes absolutely no impact nor does it matter because it amounts to nothing other than say, "Oh look he's a bad guy."
    Finally at the end of the game where they want to make such an impactful resolution to end up their game that is to be taken seriously, what they do is end Booker's life and somehow that takes away all of what Comstock did. How could this be true? An adult Booker and only one Booker out of the infinite number of them has decided for it. What about the one we saw just before the ending? What if he decided No Ii don't want to die? Then it wouldn't do anything. It explains nothing and gives an end to this very mediocre game.
    Bioshock Infinite should be taken for what it is. A normal first person shooter type of game that says, "Oh look at the pretty graphics. Look we are going to put a slightly arbitrary plot that we can't fully explain or give meaning to while giving characters with little to no depth. We are clearly one of the best games out there." and somehow it worked. I enjoyed it for a little while before it started sinking in and it made me dislike it. I felt like I was playing a dumbed down version of Bioshock with a wider appeal to the casual first person fanbase.
  94. Jul 30, 2013
    Never understood all the love for this game. In my opinion, this game is just overrated and overhyped. One of the best games of all times? Not even close. Sorry
  95. May 27, 2013
    I am very disappointed. There are many thing I hate about this game. It was like a Call of Duty. I hate shooting enemies by scope. Enemies are too far, and they have rifles. I loved previous Bioshock, it didn't need to use scope, I like to shoot enemies from close range. I loved the maniac enemies who come to kill with knifes or sticks. I loved the dark, creepiness. BioShock Infinite, tooI am very disappointed. There are many thing I hate about this game. It was like a Call of Duty. I hate shooting enemies by scope. Enemies are too far, and they have rifles. I loved previous Bioshock, it didn't need to use scope, I like to shoot enemies from close range. I loved the maniac enemies who come to kill with knifes or sticks. I loved the dark, creepiness. BioShock Infinite, too many guns, bombs flying around, places are too bright. The worst thing about this game brought the story about slavery, racist, that just made the game too serious and real.

I love shooting enemies from close range, but not zombie games, there are too many zombie games and movies. I like enemies who are maniac humans or monsters. Aliens vs. Predator 2010 was like that, but it was a bad game, too many xenomorph,they were too annoying, a player had to run away and shoot to stay alive. And I don't like xenomorph. Metro 2033 was a perfect.
  96. Jul 30, 2013
    some people just are not too interested in gameplay; specifically creating games for people who don't care about gameplay is just the height of stupidity. Which is why I'm wondering why this game was made. There is a difference between play-testing to find obvious problems that arise in pacing when developers get too attached to their work, and stripping out everything but the most basicsome people just are not too interested in gameplay; specifically creating games for people who don't care about gameplay is just the height of stupidity. Which is why I'm wondering why this game was made. There is a difference between play-testing to find obvious problems that arise in pacing when developers get too attached to their work, and stripping out everything but the most basic elements because one of your testers got stuck walking down a straight corridor. It's what you get when a) the people pulling the strings aren't gamers and b) you are beholden to create a mass entertainment product for as wide an audience as possible, but I'm pretty sure that Michael Bay's films wouldn't sell any fewer tickets if the script wasn't awful, there wasn't product placement every 5 seconds, and they got some decent actors. Expand
  97. Apr 6, 2013
    Great game, good graphics good game play good story... All crippled by an out of date checkpoint save system. If you play this game MAKE SURE you can beat it in a few long sessions because if you want to play it in small increments, you WILL lose a lot of progress, sometimes half an hour or more, because the game designers think an inadequate checkpoint system is as good as letting youGreat game, good graphics good game play good story... All crippled by an out of date checkpoint save system. If you play this game MAKE SURE you can beat it in a few long sessions because if you want to play it in small increments, you WILL lose a lot of progress, sometimes half an hour or more, because the game designers think an inadequate checkpoint system is as good as letting you manually save.

Hell I would have been fine with an actual checkpoint system that works, how about every 5 minutes I get a checkpoint, instead of bouncing me back to half an hour ago?
  98. Apr 6, 2013
    Too much racism, fascism and chauvinism. second-rate plot second-rate plot copping the idea of the series Sliders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliders).
  99. Sep 8, 2014
    Terrible game, with 10 years old graphics, one of the worst shooting games I've ever seen. You can actually win every fight by dying constantly. AI is non-existant, level design... Is it a Bioshock game?
    Basically you're thrown into a railway car so you could listen to one of the most cringeworthy, infantile, childlish story lines ever created. It may be impressive for 10-years old, or people who are mentally still 10-years old. The rest of the game is a cardboard cut out. People are named Citizen 1 or Citizen 2, they dine in... a closed restaurants. You can break havoc and kill every single human being in the level. The Elizabeth will say nothing, she will even throw us pick-ups just when we need them.
    But DARE TO ENTER WOMEN'S TOILET! "WHAT, YOU WANT US TO GET IN JAIL, BOOKER?".
    Oh God. The execution of this game is so mindboggling bad, but yet it impressed so many people. This is the reason why we can't have nice things and will never get System Shock game again. Or even Bioshock 1 alike game. The interactive, non-existand gameplay railroaded cheesy stories for teens are the future of the video games industry.
  100. May 28, 2013
    I was expecting something great. I was hoping for a quality game for once. I was disappointed once more.

Nothing about Bioshock Infinite is exceptional. Everything about it is mediocre. I won't try to compare it to the others and treat it as a completely separate game and take it for what it is. Gameplay is repetitive. Sound is normal. Graphics are too demanding for how little they bring to the table. Gunplay feels quite nice but limited ammo and weapons you can carry breaks all the fun. I never even bothered to use the vigors. The upgrades aren't even worth mentioning.

However what killed this game was the story.
    I won't go into detail because I don't want to spoil it nor is there any point in explaining it thoroughly, however it is clear that when this game was starting its development process, it had a completely different concept in mind. I have no idea how they managed to twist it all into this disaster of an ending but it seems to me like they simply didn't have the mental capability to understand the concepts upon which this story was constructed, which ultimately lead to it's natural collapse into a mess of absolutely unjustified, completely unreasonable and mortifyingly irrational decisions, left indefinitely out of your control.

Stay away from this if you have a brain and can use it. If you don't, I can easily see how this game would appear as "brilliant" to you.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 5, 2013
    Play BSI slowly, relish the moments and don’t rush to the end. It’s certain that you will have lived one of the richest gaming experiences that, as far as narration, lyricism and story are concerned, will take a lot of time to forget! [May 2013]
  2. CD-Action
    May 7, 2013
    A very solid, but not revolutionary shooter in an amazing setting, with a story that struggles to convey its authors’ ambitions and is only seemingly complex. The vision is less focused than in previous Bioshocks and it does a worse job on binding the plot with gameplay. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.46]
  3. May 1, 2013
    Problematic plotting and excessive amounts of poorly balanced combat apply friction to what is otherwise one hell of a rollercoaster. [May 2013, p.80]