8.5

1. Apr 9, 2013
    The first Bioshock's greatest strength was not it's gameplay and mechanics, although they were fun and innovative, the real strength was its surprisingly deep and thought provoking storyline. BioShock Infinite, dare I say, manages to raise the bar and exceed all my high expectations. It rewards the "thinking" player, which may alienate some who are just looking for a fast paces first person shooter (as reflected in the other reviews. The game not only twists its focus on ideologies (examining the extremism of a theocracy, and later examining the extremism of the rebelling left-wing faction) but it also twists focus on its theme entirely. The gameplay has improved since the first BioShock, and has near perfect pacing. Expect to take many breaks in-between long and strenuous battles and simply explore the scenery and locale of Columbia. There is a lot to see and get distracted by. The game is multi-faceted and works on many levels. one of the most important being the A.I. of Elizabeth, a character who aides you a majority of the game. Simply put, this is the best BioShock game, and will be a game to be remembered, maybe even surpassing the original BioShock in terms of "importance" to the gaming community. Expand
  2. Apr 9, 2013
    When you first start this game you don't really understand why it is so highly ranked, why is it number one. But after one or two hours you realize that it is hard to stop playing it. When you finish the game, you realize this is one of the best games you have played in your life.
  3. Apr 9, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is not what you would call a perfect game. The middle gets a tad bit tedious, the campaign is relatively short, and there are some small character development flaws around a character or two. But overall I think it was a fantastic game and easily the best game that I've played all year. The setting is beautiful and a real treat to look at (as my computer can handle the maximum settings) as well as be engaged in. The Skyline network is very well done as it is engaging enough where you're just not doing anything and easy enough to use so that it becomes a simple game play element. Which is another thing this game does very well. The gun play is superb and is filled with a pretty good amount of guns as they all have different and important tactics that they excel at. The health system is an enjoyable improvement and will keep you alive easily (but not too easily) if you're careful. Vigors, as they're called in this game, are a BioShock essential and make for an interesting combination of tactics. The companionship is excellent as I found Elizabeth to be a real help as she often found ammo, health, and salts for me to use. And of course there is the story which is excellent as it is engaging, interesting, and most importantly I was pleased with the ending. I'd say it was as good (maybe even better) as the ending to Red Dead Redemption. The big question though is if the game is worth the $60 price tag and I say yes. With a short story that deserves a couple, or maybe even a few play through's the campaign will come with a decent amount of hours, but the experience makes it all worth the while (and if you're skeptical, rent it or buy it on some massive Steam sale). I truly believe this is not a game that anyone should pass up. Expand
  4. Apr 9, 2013
    I actually loved to play this game, starting it up reminded me of watching a TV series, 'What's going to happen next?' I always thought. The characters in this game are all very well designed and have depth and Elizabeth feels more helpful than a burden. The ending is one of the most beautifully crafted i have seen as i felt emotionally attached to the Story/Characters. I think this game lives up to the hype entirely! Expand
  5. Apr 9, 2013
    Quite simply one of the most breathtaking and stunning gaming experiences of this generation. A quite incredible story woven together wonderfully combined seamlessly with a satisfying and easy combat system. Infinite absolutely blew me away, I didn't think it could possibly contend with the masterpiece that was the original Bioshock, but personally I'd put it on the same level. It isn't afraid to upset the social apple-cart, and without being preachy or attempting to put the world to right it meticulously dissects the folly of man. Perhaps its biggest achievement is Elizabeth, a companion who wasn't a) A constant source of annoyance, or b) A spanner in the works of the combat, far from it she actually enhanced the story telling aspects, was likable and brought a new dimension to the combat system. The art style and graphics were absolutely marvelous, Columbia lives and breathes like a real city, much like the sunken depths of rapture. A quite remarkable gaming experience that I would recommend to anyone who appreciates a story. Expand
  6. Apr 21, 2013
    Personally, I don't see what all the critical acclaim is about. I'm an avid Bioshock fan and I thought the first one was fantastic. Second one was nowhere near as good but had some great moments and it was great for fans wanting more from the Bioshock universe. However, for all the rich storyline details and a wealth of subject matter that makes you think about the gritty details, I feel Infinite has failed to live up to expectations in more than one area.

I am not going to mention spoilers as the story is the strong point within a very linear product. Not that replay ability has ever bothered me, but there is zero chance of returning to this game once completed and that's not just because of the story and how it unfolds, this is due to the filler sections that are a chore to play through first time round. This, in my honest opinion makes this game worth less than the full retail price.

Secondly, the graphics are standard. As a member has already mentioned they have filled the game with lighting, bloom and post processing trickery that tries to hide the graphical short comings. I am playing on a top spec PC and I am pisappointed when comparing Infinite to other games on offer.

Lastly, the final nail in the coffin for me was the combat. I felt like I was back in 2007 with the only upgraded features worth mentioning being the combination of vigors and better weapon physics.

Having just finished Dead Space 3 (an evolution for a series although many disagree), MoH War fighter (how that got 35% from PCGamer UK is beyond me) and Max Payne 3, Infinite was a game I felt I had to complete just so I could uninstall. The other games I have mentioned were a blast from start to finish and I didn't want them to end. It is hard to put my finger on what it is about Infinite I really don't like and maybe LIKE is the wrong choice of words... It's not that it is a bad game; it has all the attention and care we have come to expect from Levine and his team. But Infinite, with all its potential to be a gaming masterpiece, played it too safe for me and stuck by a formula that worked in 2007 to 2010 but today, is a storyline the only thing that pushes games forward? I personally think it a game needs to be a more balanced product that offers a good story line and good gameplay mechanics A game featuring these should be labelled as potential masterpieces.
  7. Apr 13, 2013
    First of all, I want to clarify that BioShock Infinite is an amazing game that needs to be experienced by all. Anyone who says that you can see the ending coming or that anything in this game is below beautiful, they are hugely mistaken. The people who are writing bad reviews on this game obviously lack creativity and imagination and have nothing better to do then hate on a game that will be talked about for generations to come. The gameplay is fun and addictive, the way irrational tried to incorporate a semi-open world was innovative, but, I can admit that it could have been done better. The textures are beautiful no matter what anyone says, especially on PC, and the story is one that will stick in your head throughout most of your life, and will probably be referred to or discussed for years to come, since the ending was quite unclear and the story was a bit complex. All in all it is a brilliant masterpiece of storytelling that anyone with a widespread imagination and an interest in storytelling and art should buy and enjoy Expand
  8. Apr 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall I liked the game. It was a good attempt at making a bioshock game that was sandbox. It failed in that attempt but it was an attempt.

Graphics are so-so and the engine (modified unreal3 engine) is definitely showing its age. Its got Nvidia physx but the only physx parts are some water effects, your companion's dress and some flags... almost nothing is destroyable (which is where physx really shines), and while playing at 19x12 res on the highest graphical settings this cartoonish looking dx9 game gets somewhere in the neighborhood of 35-45 fps on my Nvidia 670. It really has no reason to get that low of a frame rate since its not rendering very much and what it is rendering is average quality at best. I played all the way through crysis 3 (a dx11 title) on the same settings and dont remember having my frame rate parked in the 30's very often... maybe once or twice. What Im getting at here is for being delayed over a year I was expecting way more than the 2009 wolfenstin remake set in a floating city with a companion thrown in to hit you in the face with stuff you need almost when you need it then steal money from you when you die. Graphics and concept 2 out of 10.

Gameplay is good except for one problem I had with the controls. I use mouse 2 to move forward and I found my character would stick going forward or not move at all if I searched a corpse and hit move forward either immediately before searching (search on the fly) or immediately after searching (search then fly). Which is a true pain in the ass when you're under fire.

I do like the mechanic of her saving you from dying or you walking through a "celestial" door to revive but I fail to see why this should cost me money. The irony here is if you walk up to a vending machine and walk away half the time she will go hey need some cash? and fling money at you. So wait you took money from me to save me just to give it back to me later? Are you some kind of co-dependent or something? overly attached girlfriend is that you?

Then you have the dialogue between the two main characters. I know its set in the early 1900's but your character treats her like 90% of the game then at the end he gets all attached and defensive of her. He was originally going to "rescue" her to bring her to NYC to sell her to pay off a gambling debt! Now he wants to be all buddy buddy with her in the end? Dubya Tee Eff?!

I was playing on the hardest difficulty and while most of the game was still pretty easy I always find it funny when on the hardest diff you pick up a weapon from a guy you just barely managed to kill because his weapon almost killed you in 1 hit, and you shoot his clone with it and it takes an entire mag or more to put the guy down. I'll never understand that idea, and will always question why they dont just send more guys for you to fight on the higher difficulty levels. I guess its just laziness on the coder's part.

Overall though the gameplay isnt horrible for a mostly rail shooter... They have all these achievements that are the only reason it doesnt feel so much like its on rails all the time. But they hardly make it worth the 9 overall score that everyone is giving it. There are very few side quests and they dont yield anything major so you scrounge around for a while finding a code book just to get a power up phial that doesnt do much when 3 hits kills you all the time. The vigors are more of a novelty than a tool and I only used them for a shield and to make a frenemy once in a while. I rarely changed clothing and the item screen was a hassle.

Story wise though I do have to take issue with the one spot where they find a guitar and booker sits down to play it and they do a duet of "will the circle be unbroken" and take out the word God just to be PC about it. The entire game we're hearing God and prophet etc etc... and you choose to mutilate a song that says it? Really? THAT'S your big political stance? A 30 sec blurb of a song played in a back room of a basement?... That is where you had to make a stand? ooook. Also I dont know if I got a different game than everyone else but I didnt get the scene from the commercial where Elizabeth is on the horse about to be hanged and you jump in and save her. Anyone else?

Lastly the end just made no sense to me. I get the multiverse concept but how, if originally Booker sells his daughter to Comstock, is Booker also Comstock? And if you find out that Elizabeth is your daughter all grown up at the end then killing you then wont solve anything. Plus she would cease to exist if you killed Booker/Comstock when he was a baby like they had planned to and the floating city would destroy the world since we wouldnt be there to stop it with her special powers. Which means none of the game would actually happen. I almost literally got a headache trying to figure out what they were doing. I feel weird about this game. The end wasnt cathartic at all it was just weird.
  9. Apr 14, 2013
    Just finished Bioshock Infinite on Hard, and I have to say it's rather easy and fear the "1999" mode would only make the enemies into severe bullet sponges.
    The combat also feels relatively sluggish, the weapons seem bland, I generally chose to stick with the shotgun sniper rifle throughout the entire game, which is the same with the vigors, I tried them all multiple times but Possession
    and Shock Jockey were the most useful imo.
    The gears seemed more fun and you had quite a nice selection to choose from, although again once I had certain ones I never felt I had to swap them around for different encounters etc.
    The story was nice although rather predictable, it's a great shame there was no real emphasis or implementation of choices, instead what we get is just an average on rails fps, there was so much hope for this game a year ago, and yet what could have been great was scrapped and this is what we get.
  10. Apr 21, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is not over-hyped. Granted you don't need to use more than several vigors and the guns can do most of the work. But it remains leaps ahead of second best in all gameplay regards. You work with balanced and fun weapons, a few favourite vigors (basically of your choosing, so no complaints that they aren't all critical), and fantastic environmental factors many of which you control dynamically.

The story is draw-dropping, sit and stare at the screen for hours quality. You will contemplate it for days and feel empty that you can't experience it freshly again. Infinite is clever, funny, and incredibly well thought out. The Lutece twins take the cake wonderful quasi-narrators with their writing's roots in absurdist drama and especially Stoppard's incredible Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

Elizabeth is perfect as both a character and a gameplay mechanic. She will investigate objects, glare at you, hide in fear, and gasp when you do something special. There has never been a more real character and better realised AI in any game. You would scream bloody murder if anyone hurt her but, thankfully, she handles herself and will pull you out oft he fire in the most hectic moments time and time again.

The world is perfect. Infinite doesn't tell you a story you live and breathe a story. It's your story. The world is perceived by where you choose to look, which posters you read, conversations you overhear, and places you choose to go. The pacing is absolutely perfect and the narrative drives well yet doesn't feel linear.

Bioshock Infinite is, simply put, the greatest game of all time.
  11. Apr 18, 2013
    Just about the most damning comment I can make is that Bioshock 2 was better. First, I'll admit that I don't like first person shooters, Call of Modern Warfare just doesn't interest me. I did however love the first Bioshock because in that case the mechanic didn't define the game, yes it used the first person perspective and ostensibly you did shoot things but it wasn't a FPS, instead it was more of an Action Adventure a-la Tomb Raider or Uncharted. But Bioshock Infinite feels like the stripped out the everything that didn't work with the FPS genre and turned it in to a very poor FPS. Gone is the hacking minigame that even though it was incongruous with the FPS gameplay was still fun and served as a way to break up the action in the game. Look up 'story arc' and you will see that it is meant to dip at times between various peaks to give the user a breather. In contrast Bioshock Infinite feels like it quickly ramps up to 10 and stays there. One of the most compelling parts of the first Bioshock was the story and the reason it was so effective is that it was both deep and subtle. Bioshock Infinite feels like it is trying for depth but it has completely discarded subtlety and just beats you over the head with head with it. This is a city filled with religious zealots and racists and that's bad m'kay. Expand
  12. Apr 20, 2013
    I think this game represents the bare minimum to be a member of the Shock series. With each iteration of the series after SS2, the formula gets watered down more and more. I was able to immerse myself in Bioshock 1 & 2, despite the simplified mechanics, because the world had flow & made some sense. Infinite just felt disjointed to me & felt more like an amusement park than a somewhat functioning city or space ship as in previous games. The character customization is severely lacking as well.

It was entertaining & had a decent story, but it felt hollow. I found myself only really having fun with the game in the last 30 minutes of play.
  13. Apr 21, 2013
    The story was just awesome. It tells a great story with pretty sweet game play. Even when you beat it and play it again that's just it, you still can't take away the fact of how good of a game this was.10/10 indeed
  14. May 1, 2013
    I wonder how come not even 1 critic either give negative or mixed review for BioShock Infinite?! Did the producers of this game persuaded Metacritic to show only positive reviews??
    Whatever, for me it's just an average game!
  15. Apr 22, 2013
    I'll try to keep this short. Bioshock Infinite is not a bad game by today's standards and definitely does quite a few things right, including, but not necessarily limited to: - a unique, fresh setting - a female comrade that isn't just there to provide eye candy - an above-average story - unproblematic, technical realization However, this game is not nearly as good as people and magazines make it out to be.
    - the gameplay itself is very generic, linear, simple and watered-down when comparing it to its predecessors.
    - the politic implications and themes are handled VERY superficially and just boil down to two simple messages: Racism is bad, religious fanaticism is bad

All in all, the game is okay, but nothing groundbreaking. Time travel and alternate universes does not make the story complex or deep automatically and this game also really doesn't have a true intellectual merit, like some people make it out to have. Also, it suffers very heavily from the extremely bland gameplay, which a game should be mainly judged on.
  16. Apr 23, 2013
    For what Infinite nails with it's visuals, implied and direct political landscape and character motivations, it fails in derivative kill box level design, stripped down gameplay mechanics that resemble title's past and overly rounded out vigors that don't differentiate or inspire effort /trials/skills to use against enemies. Feels like a lot of good ideas were left on the cutting room floor and the game suffers as a result. It does have some interesting ai ideas and smart dialogue. Multiverse is getting a tad played out in the media so even though we've only seen it in a few titles in the past and many times in television (fringe)it can really muddy up the story/character progression in the game until the ending reveals. To sum up, the visual spectacle and visual world design is grand,inspiring and give so much more than the gameplay. Expand
  17. Apr 26, 2013
    This game will leave you in awe, the first impressions are what a beautiful and immersible city. When you uncover the top off it, the dark undertones hit you. The game mechanics, fantastic set pieces and impressive moving features are stunning. This is why we play video games... This is what any genre should aim to create in their unique way, fantastic game play, fantastic story with twists and turns and LESS off the repetitiveness we have come to persevere with in recent years off gaming (esp fps). The Ending blew me away... I love this...

What a great way to end the last few great games of this generation and hope that some greedy mass-repeat devs/publishers can take note... take my money for this quality anytime
  18. Apr 27, 2013
    When I first saw this game I thought, that looks amazing! With the new setting and different characters, what can go wrong with a bit of variety? But after a few hours of playing the game I discovered that the it was incredibly boring! There was just something about the combat which made it very very repetitive, the plasmids don't seem to play as big as a role as they did in the last two games, and there was less of them. The game wasn't as immersive the first and second games, in my opinion the underwater setting suited the game a lot more then the up in the air setting. The one thing that disappointed me the most was that the game just wasn't as scary as the first and second games in my opinion, the dark and gritty like game play suited the series more that the light and gloomy game play of Infinite. All in all if you are a hardcore Bioshock fan and have played the first two games, I would wait until the price of the game has gone down. As you may be disappointed with the stale game play and boring combat. Expand
  19. Apr 30, 2013
    This game has a nice story. Not an extraordinary, ground breaking, shocking, we-never-heard-about-this-before kind story, but a nice one. And a good one to experience. But other than the story; this game is worthless. Graphics are overrated, sound and music are also overrated, game play is terrible; just a little more than a 'shoot everything that moves' game. If you like FPS games this could be a good choice, but DO NOT expect something revolutionary. This is not Half Life. Expand
  20. Apr 30, 2013
    The story is what you will play this game for You might start out impressed with the art style but that will fade and the enemy AI is pretty poor.
    However the story is very strong but drags in some places around the three quarter mark.

The enemies are so easy its just a walk in the park until the last few moments of the game.
    I didn't like the first two games in the series and i did
    play them but i really did enjoy this game although i cant see myself playing it through again.

Also super powers are freely available on the street but you are the only person in the whole city to use them that's just poor design. i would rather fight a harder enemy who had the same tools as me.
  21. May 3, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is one of the best works of Irrational Games. The Steampunk atmosphere and also the story are so charming. If you want to play a game with good story and if you want to play a game for surviving in a good atmosphere, don't miss that game
  22. May 4, 2013
    There's an awful lot of love and hate for this game. So for the purpose of keeping things simple, I'd like to give a in depth review (no spoilers) that looks at the positive and negative side of the argument to help people decide whether or not to buy it.
    First off, don't go into this game expecting a fast paced FPS or you will be dissappointed. This is a story driven game. There are
    plenty of actions sequences, but playing just for them will leave you dissapointed. Infinite's story is one of the best I've ever seen. However, you need to get in the habit of slowing down and really taking in the world around you. Hunting for voxophones and listening to conversations really brings the world to life. The story can be a bit confusing as a lot of things have symbolism that won't be apparent until late in the game, but it's the kind of story that will make you want to go back and play again to better understand these points. I won't give away the ending, but it really does end with a bang.
    Secondly, the gameplay. veterans of the series will notice right off that weapon slots have been reduced to two. This is both a positive and negative thing. Personally, it steered me more towards using the powers rather than just run and gunning. However, it takes away the ability to swap ammo types, which feels limiting. The vigors (plasmids) are a lot of fun to use, but are incredibly unbalanced. The first one you get can possess enemies, and when upgraded, causes soldiers to fight for you, then suicide when the timer runs out, allowing entire rooms to be cleared by turning everyone against each other. While they are varied and fun, more work needed to be done to ensure balance.
    Third, the world. Leaving Rapture was a risk that paid off. The first time you set foot in Columbia made my jaw drop. The vibrant colors were a great change of pace from Rapture and any other game in recent months. The city is widely varied and beautiful to look at. However, while work was put into the design, the textures are not as high as could be. This doesn't really take away from the experience, but it could have made a great city even better. Character models work nice though. Some people say it's linear, but in a story driven game, that's almost a necessity. A open world would have lost focus on the main story. I'm not saying it absolutly wouldn't work, but it would have required a major redesign.
  23. Jul 31, 2013
    Don't misunderstand me, the story, the graphics, all of them are fantastic. However, as wonderful as all of that is, it is completely and utterly irrelevant when the gameplay is tedious. It's not ludicrously bad, but considering shooting is more than 50% of the game, it's unacceptably tedious. I would say, go look up a video of the story in full on YouTube, don't buy it.
  24. May 10, 2013
    The game reaches great heights for sure. The story line draws you in, and the scenes are wonderful. I enjoy the movement and the weapon use. A great sequel for sure. But in an age of open world, free to explore games, it falls far short of the perfect ten that it has been given by so many sites and magazines. The developer hit the mark with every other item of this game. But I have become spoiled by games like, Far Cry, Fallout and Skyrim. Games that give me a choice. I can't play games anymore that have me standing on a treadmill headed down a tunnel. Hopefully the next edition will be more open. Expand
  25. May 22, 2013
    Be advised: BioShock Infinite is a linear, short, 10 15 hour campaign with no multiplayer and no real additional options to attract additional playthroughs, if you think you will be able to spend hundreds of hours on this game then you will be dissapointed. I'm not saying in this as a negative aspect however, as it's neccesary. This 10 15 hour campaign, is a beautifully crafted piece of creative storytelling, which mixes heartwarming character development and stunningly pretty visuals, with very dark themes and serious story elements, creating a wonderfully immersive journey, which as you can see from some of these reviews, has had a real emotional effect on people.

The world of Columbia is a beautiful floating metropolis, with bright and colourful art direction to house its happy citizens, which hides a ruthless racist underbelly and cultural issues by taking an interesting spin on American history. You can see the passion that went into the fine details of this unique setting, and it was a pleasure to behold and learn about.

The characters are incredibly likable, are backed up by impeccably good voice acting to represent character development which I've never before seen in a game. It's one of few games that has pulled off having an AI companion which isn't completely annoying, and in fact she is an absolute pleasure to have around and catapults the normal lonely narrative of a singleplayer game into something that almost feels like a co-op experience. This game is the first game to successfully make me really care about its characters.

The combat itself takes a step away from the more strategic, in depth gameplay of the original game, and is a lot more chaotic, fighting more enemies in bigger areas, and feels faster paced. It offers satisfying inventiveness with the array of options available to destroy your enemies. The addition of skylines, motorized tracks that follow a rollercoaster-esque design, add a sense of verticality and childlike thrill that I never thought possible. They are incredibly smooth to use, allowing you to shoot whilst moving, eject at any location you like, and even allow you to jump between them, adding an incredible sense of acrobatics to a genre where movement is usually quite stale. The skylines are probably the most addictive gameplay feature I've seen.

The music, whilst sometimes understandbly simplistic, is beautifully arranged and fits the mood perfectly, with unique sound design and voice acting which is incredibly realisitic to the time period.

It's not the normal game elements like combat and graphics which sets this game apart from others, its the sublime, beautiful moments, which catapult this experience from the ordinary pass-time of video games, to the fantastic masterpiece that everyone is raving about. This all culminates in a mindblowing ending, which is sure to cause many manly tears to be shed.

That's not saying this game doesn't have it's flaws the level design is a little too linear, some of the skills feel uninspired, it has its fair share of bugs and minor plotholes. But these flaws don't seem to hinder the overall experience, it was only after I finished and began to analyse the game did I see these flaws, I was so immersed and connected to the story and its characters that I simply didn't notice them.

This only touches the surface on all that BioShock Infinite has to offer, there is so much detail, and so many points to discuss within this game, that couldn't be summarized in 50,000 words, let alone 5000.

From a technical aspect, I would give this game a 8/10. Thankfully though, my enjoyment isn't based on analysing a games technical aspects, but is based on the fun and happyness I feel when I first play it and based on that and that alone, this is a 10/10 for me my favourite game of all time.

I cannot thank the developers enough for creating this incredible experience, which I'm sure will stay in many gamers hearts and memories for years to come. To describe this game in 1 word: beautiful.
  26. May 14, 2013
    Bioshock infinity is an above average game. It does may things well but not great, many of the games faults are outweighed by it charm, and tenacity as FPS go. I cannot in good conscience recommend it over the original Bioshock.
    Although graphically dated. The original used story, atmosphere and sound to a high and mature degree. That being said Bioshock infinity is a really good game,
    but if this game didn't use the bioshock legacy and name with it. The game itself would have been better for it. Good game and solid fun. Expand
  27. May 14, 2013
    One of the best games story wise and graphical immersion I've played You will instantly get submersed into the world of Columbia the second you get into it, the games main characters are easily likeable and interesting at the same time, it met my hype with all expectations, while indeed far different from traditional bioshock games as of a "creepy not sure what's around the corner" style its more about the whole "surreal" and "mind blowing" effect this time around, You can without a doubt tell this this is one polished Triple-A game, the ONLY complaint I have is the ending is a tad hard to comprehend at first but with some quick searching online and maybe another replay its understandable. Expand
  28. May 22, 2013
    I was never a fan of the first two games But this one is just incredible If not the best game i ever played it is definitely one of the top 5 Not even a single wrong with with game Awesomeness at its best
  29. May 24, 2013
    I rated this game a 4 basically because It is like any of the new releases.... Mega graphics and a confusing intro.... For players new to the BioShock series.....

I for one hate preachers... and the 2nd scene I am in Heaven? sorry but after that it went down hill, Standard FPS RPG style game with some nice Graphics, boring gameplay and a story which everyone "says" is amazing.... don't
    see what is so amazing....games like this is why people Pirate companies games.

will never buy a BioShock game ever again...
  30. May 25, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game but can't seem to interest myself in it. I loved the first two. Perhaps, I shouldn't have played Farcry 3 first. It is hard to compare a FUN (and even goofy) game against one with mediocre, stiff combat and too much religious and racial discussion. When I play a game, I want to have fun and escape from the real world and not be subjected to political statements. I know people are a$$holes. And I do not feel the need to pay someone else to remind me of it. There's not a ton I can do except treat everyone equal and hope time will heal itself. For now, my gaming time is limited, and I've just freed up that time for something else. Expand
  31. May 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh where to begin... I'm really torn on Infinite (no pun intended). It covers some seriously ambitious material. However, the massive hype, perfect scores and claims of this being the pinnacle of gaming have caused me to voice my opinion in a review... something I don't normally do.

To start, the story as a whole doesn't come near Bioshock or System Shock 2. Despite this, its gets off on a good start and the first act was solid and had me hooked in certain areas.
    Once they start to ramp up and reveal string and quantum theory more as a story premise it begins to falter.
    The 'ending' itself is a deus ex machina in my eyes, and the attempt to extend this to the entirety of Bioshock was rather contrived. This frustrated me more than moving me. I've studied quantum physics, so perhaps this is one reason for my impression. I feel as if they ticked the boxes they wanted to cover for the story, but had a hard time filling in the process of how to get to the material within said boxes.
    Choice ultimately has no impact. This is 'explained' through quantum theory again, ala Schrodinger's cat. Just more deus ex machina in my eyes; ergo this comes off lazy and frustrating.
    Like others have said- this is more of a game on rails (no pun intended) for a pretentious movie that continually forgets itself, its roots and the source material as it proceeds.

I'm a noir fan, so I thought I'd like Booker as an anti-hero, but his motivations are never fully realized. His baptism as the cornerstone and therefore fulcrum of the story is again, rather lackluster and contrived. Using an explanation through very loose and lazy applications of string theories doesn't help.
    On the other hand, Elizabeth was a highlight, but again, her implementation was very hit and miss.
    Songbird... what the hell happened here? I wanted this character IN the game, but 3 interactions and then its death in Rapture was disappointing.
    Ultimately, the atmosphere is not at the level of the other Shock games; despite being drop dead gorgeous and initially powerful. It begins to come apart the more the you realize you are simply a ghost until the guns come out. This works in the other Shocks, but when the environment is living and breathing it falters.

The gameplay is receiving quite a bit of criticism, and I'd have to agree with the negative more than the positive impressions. Its a regression more than an evolution of the Shock series.
    As a side note: if you're making excuses for the lackluster gameplay- don't give the game a perfect score. Remember, this is a game.

In the end, the characters, the story and the gameplay had serious potential; but it seemed more concerned about self-masturbation than engaging the player. I left feeling a bit empty and ultimately disappointed.
  32. May 29, 2013
    A perfect 10 from my POV and tastes. It hit a sentimental cord in me. One of the only games in the last decades that actually left me wanting more and having to deal with time till that "more" arrives.
  33. May 31, 2013
    The game play is good, the graphics are amazing, but the length of it and how linear the game play is just ruins it. I payed $60 for a game that I finished in one day. It has no re-playability value unless you're a completionist. With a 6 to 9 hour campaign and no multiplayer there isn't anything to really do with it when you complete it. So unless you have another great game you are playing that will last you a while I don't recommend buying this. Expand
  34. Jun 1, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite was a joy to play, I enjoyed the storyline throughout the entire game, The Gameplay was solid, exciting and thrilling, The Graphics were just amazing, but there were some parts were the graphics look fake, just an example, at the start of the game when you get baptised a boy runs up to you and gives you a telegram, he looked really fake but who cares?I have played previous Bioshock games before and they changed the way I enjoy games, There are many guns to choose from but you can only carry two guns at a time, this is good because you really have to think about what you need, The vigors plasmids from the other bioshock games) really bring the game to life but I only used two of them throughout the game, I spent about 14-15 hours playing this, there are many things you can do like finding loot, gear etc. I would recommend this game to anybody because they will finish the game breathless. Expand
  35. Jun 24, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite has lots of things going for it. The game looks beautiful and manages to create atmospheric and immersive gaming experience. Elizabeth is also one of the best game characters I can remember. Also Elizabeth's role as support character during battles works well.

The biggest problem with this game is the storytelling which is a bit messy and not always paced well. It can
    at times be difficult to keep track at the 'bigger plot' of the game. The ending is also somewhat confusing and doesn't spell every detail out if you didn't pick things up by yourself during the game. It's also likely to leave players expecting typical happy ending unsatisfied.

The gaming system itself has some minor problems. The game offers lots of different weapons and skills from which many are similar and thus somewhat redundant. Most players probably end up using only small portion of these. Equipment system is very underdeveloped and the game has very few wearable items. Same goes to code books. Also Vigor upgrades are unproportionally expensive.

All in all, Bioshock Infinite is a good game. It's disappointing in the sense that it could have been great game with more fluent storytelling. The game is also rather short offering only about 10 hours of playtime. If you're on budget, you might want to buy something that offers more bang for your hard-earned bug.
  36. Jan 18, 2014
    To be honest i haven’t completed the game and don’t see myself finishing it any time soon, this isn’t a film i expect a game to rely on more than just its story which unfortunately BioShock Infinite seems to have forgotten. I dont think Bioshock is a bad game but its strictly mediocre at best. Heres some of the issues:

-You can only carry two guns at once and ammo is so rare that you
    will be forced to carry the crappy guns that all the enemies carry.
    -Upgrades cost way to much so it’s unlikely that you'll be able to afford many of them.
    -The guns feel awful they carry no weight to them and you don’t get any enjoyment out of using them.
    -Plasmids are in the game for no apparent reason (and aren’t explained at all stunning plot) and what’s worse they are all EXACTLY THE SAME you can fire them at enemies or set a trap on the floor.....that is all.
    -You'll spend around 80% of your time in combat and it never changes due to lack of enemy variety and the point mentioned earlier about lack of ammo causing you to use same ♥♥♥♥ty guns.
    -Enemy AI is awful all the enemies are bullet sponges and charge your position.
    -Melee combat tagged on and adds nothing to gameplay
    -Handymen...
    -Tooltips in the middle of combat

All in all it seems that way to much time was spent building the world of Bioshock infinite and gameplay was rushed in, in the last couple of months and that said the story is hardly mindblowing either the game jumps between a dozens of different themes and so far hasn’t fleshed out any of them.
  37. Jul 1, 2013
    The fact that combat is the least enjoyable part AN FPS shows that something went wildly wrong here. The story is somewhat interesting but not enough to excuse the gameplay which is a total slog. Only The Line and Ultima 7 got away sacrifice all else on the alter of story and this is no The Line and definitely no Ultima 7.

If you disagree, there are many reviews that explain why all
    is not flowers and sunshine with this title and they are really really intelligent so go find them! Expand
  38. Mar 7, 2014
    the reason why alot of people are saying the graphics suck is because they don't know what art style the developers were going for, the story is amazing and the gameplay is fun, definetley worth picking up
  39. Nov 16, 2013
    It's okay. I played the original Bioshock and which drew me right into the psychotic dystopia of Rapture, which was claustrophobic and unhinged. Infinite doesn't quite reach the same level of menace and fearful anticipation.

It is very much it's predecessors kin. But does little to innovate on what's come before. You have a constant companion, a few extra things here and there, but it's
    still the same idea of linear story behind a game of power up and collect money/ammo style shoot'em up. The graphics are okay but not great. The world is fairly well thought out and the plot line ambles along at a fair pace.

Unfortunately though, I found it difficult to maintain any enthusiasm, as each time I play I'm pretty much just following the same pattern of shooting stuff. There's no particularly good sneaking or cover mechanic, the AI is not particularly clever for the suicidal enemies, so that's not really enough to maintain interest, the jumping on stuff isn't really that great either.

Bioshock Infinite is in fact still waiting for me to play it again on some rainy day, when I don't really feel like applying much thought, just so I can finish it.

Wait for a sale, maybe.
  40. Aug 28, 2013
    Great game with mesmerizing visuals, interesting story and great characters with stellar voice-acting. It's a shame that the world building and combat is a step down from the previous games, though.
  41. Aug 16, 2013
    BioShock Infinite definitely meets it's hype. It has one of the best stories I have ever read, played, or heard, the way it drops all the hits through out the game but don't really understand it till the very end which makes the end feel satisfying. The environment/atmosphere is outstanding. The characters are very interesting, seeing Elizabeth, with a kind heart explore the world being fascinated at everything really makes her a lovable character to the main villain who you will grow to hate more and more. The game play is very fun! I love the fact that you can shoot one vigor and then a different one to make a more powerful effect. The only downside is that most of the combat that I face, I feel way to over powered, at a certain point in the game all i really have to do is use crow vigor once and it spreads, everyone is dead by the time I fire a shot, all the other times i have no sense of trying to take cover or watch my ammo since Elizabeth gives you everything if you are low mid combat, which allows me to go guns blazing (This is on normal difficulty). Although I feel over powered, that's not saying that being over powered isn't fun. It is lots of fun! watching your enemies get eaten by flaming crows is pretty awesome! Overall I would actually give this game a 9.8 Expand
  42. Mar 20, 2014
    As a regular game player I like to think I'm in tune with other game players. But this game has proved that wrong.

I really do not get how such a mediocre linear boring game gets such a high mark from other reviews. I tried to like the game, honestly I did . I wanted to like it. It is a beautiful game which is why it got some points. But it is the same thing over and over again.
    Run a bit enter an arena fight bad guys. Run some more into another arena fight more bad guys. No skill in avoiding them or getting around them. Boring boring boring. Has it really come to this when a game like this gets top marks. Is everyone blinded.

I really enjoyed the first BioShock. Plenty of options to figure out different ways to get the bad guys. The real need to conserve your precious ammo and health. All that I enjoyed of the first game seemingly stripped away.

Sorry but I really do not get the hype of this game.
  43. Sep 22, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is by no means a terrible game, but compared to its predecessor, it has many of the same flaws and lacks the redeeming poetry and vision.

BioShock is now a modern classic. Its successor, BioShock Infinite, takes us to a new world that is superficially just as captivating as Rapture, but the similarities are purely superficial. Where BioShock had ideas, Infinite simply
    has plot devices. Where BioShock asked us to choose, Infinite just asks us to run and shoot.

Part of what made BioShock special was that its ideas, emotions, story content, and gameplay were all coherent in a thematically consistent way. Ultimately BioShock told a story that was thematically compatible, and even thematically harmonious, with the conceits and conventions of FPS games. BioShock Infinite tries to tell a story, but the dissonance between the narrative/emotional content and the gameplay content is jarring in the new installment.

With a story that is so thoroughly undermined by the gameplay mechanics, Infinite needs to lean heavily on gameplay to be entertainment. Unfortunately, like BioShock, Infinite is merely a competent shooter from a gameplay perspective. Worse, the level designs are now more linear.

In sum, it's a a perfectly competent game, and disappointing when set against its predecessor.
  44. Mar 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock Infinite is barely a game designed for the entertainment of 'gamers'. It is rather a convoluted and unrelentingly bleak exercise in narrative by Ken Levine. When we get to the 'end' it is NOT The Sound of Music. Instead we have a narrative in which every major 'character' is soul-less and evil, living in a chaotic and meaningless world, where the (anti) hero (YOU) is drowned in the final scene by a daughter he sold, after he enslaved her in a tower....in another manifestation.........made possible by the ridiculous....pseudo science....of an entirely fictional take on 'Quantum Physics'. Along the way to its HORRIBLE conclusion the game revels in an unrelenting atmosphere of homicidal psychosis. The player navigates a long sequence of linear levels depopulating the city of Columbia of its men folk without any real rhyme or reason. Hand in hand with the daughter you abandoned, and then imprisoned (and who is going to drown you) you roam about gathering resources and unlocking achievements on a long journey to nowhere. It is not all terrible. The art direction of the game is great, and the lighting and bloom effects are well done. Vigours are fun, and there is pleasure to be had holding the v key down so that you can decapitate half the city with your skyhook. That is the only 'role playing' allowed here however. This game is all about the story. It is ONLY about the story. The story is that you are a moral midget psychopath, who will be drowned by your own daughter so that 'none of this ever happened'. If that is a 10/10 game experience for you by all means go for it. Have yet to delve fully into the DLC but 'Clash in the Clouds' feels way better than the core game since it spares us the dismal narrative. Despite my negative review this is a game to buy and play, because it is definitely INTERESTING. I hope Ken Levine can discover a sense of humor in the future, and put more effort into level design, shooting mechanics and role playing elements. Good games offer the illusions of choices, levity and reasons to replay them. This game offers no choices, no light-heartedness and very little reason to replay it.

Orctowngrot.
  45. Feb 14, 2014
    Bioshock Infinite is an amazing game, with a great story, outstanding and colourful world and overall GOOD gameplay it is one of 2013's best. There are only a few main negative points that Infinite carries which is which are its lack of meaningful player decisions, a lame final battle. and a few hallway-shooter levels. The last ~3 minutes or so of the game will tie up all loose ends from the game and some that you didn't even know existed.

46. Oct 27, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite, some call it to be the best game ever made. Now here's where I come in. This game is made off Unreal Engine 3 (Gears Of War, Silent Hill Downpour, etc.), so it is a mixed bag when it comes to graphics. (Playing it on Ultra settings) Some of the character models are something you'd see in a PS2 game. The game has colourful shaders and bloom, but not much else. The saturation seems to be very high as well.

Now the story I admit is something that should be straight out of a Christopher Nolan movie except it leans heavily on atheistic themes. The Gameplay I say is what drags it down to a low score. It is very unoriginal it it's execution of gunplay. It pulls alot from other popular FPS's (i.e. Halo, call of duty, etc.), and is way too violent for it's setting, story, and it takes away any realism or immersion you ever had while playing this game. I mean it's something you'd see from mortal kombat. Now don't get me wrong, most of the things I like are very gory. But this game is does not need this violence. It's like if you were to watch Inception or Back To the Future except some guy with a chainsaw pops out and kills everyone. Many games need violence to tell a story, this is not one that needed this level of violence. You literally tear a guy in half and spill his guts all over you and in the next moment you walk into a civilized area with no one noticing YOUR BLOODSOAKED CLOTHES. You'd look like someone who came out of a pool of blood and yet no one questions it?

I mean *this isn't spoilers* it's obvious that the main character Booker, is trying to make it up to himself of the things he has done it the past. And to do that, he goes to Columbia and kill everyone there. That doesn't fit his character at all. This game chooses to follow plot first instead of characters. (For a good example on vice versa- The Last Of Us) This makes the whole ending turn very dark if you think of it vice versa.

The gameplay, well not much to it, nothing innovative here. Now the skyrails are nothing to be too excited about. It brings you out of the story and into a superhero game. I mean you jump off 15 story buildings with no penalties, but when you do that without a skyline, you will most likely die. This skyline did not need to be part of the game, i mean how does someone use this in columbia life? I have no Idea. Does the pizzaman just come on the skyline and jump onto different buildings?

The plasmids are just something that you have. Not really something that is fun to use. It's just an extra thing up your sleeve. There are only 2 you'd ever use anyways. This game is made for people who like borderlands. Oh, I'd better open everything up and take them! Even if it is a sandwich in the toilet.

I would go pretty deep into the story and how overrated it is but that would go into spoilers and it would just bring in fanboys. But I do suggest you play it, it's one of those games that are only truly worth one playthrough but no more.
  47. Nov 6, 2013
    Probably my favorite game of all time, it has an AMAZING story, memorable characters, a beautiful art style, fun combat (in my opinion at least) and by far the BEST ENDING I HAVE EVER SEEN IN ANY SORT OF ENTERTAINMENT PRODUCT. Just buy it, and don't forget the DLC which is going to be epic
  48. Jun 16, 2014
    The game-play is extremely bland and unsatisfying. However, the story-line can be interesting at times. The graphics are spectacular, but round edges and water could be better. Most of the time, I am completely lost as to why I am being attacked, and who is attacking me. The actual game-play is terrible, a very basic shooter with only 2 or 3 usable guns.
  49. Nov 11, 2013
    This game is the ultimate masterpiece in every way. It's so beautiful that you stop to admire the scenario, the combat is fun with new skylines, vigors combos and plenty of weapons to chose from and the story is perfect in every detail (which they focus a lot).
  50. Nov 18, 2013
    Uma palavra pra definir esse jogo "Mágico". Visual deslumbrante. Sentido religioso em contraponto com uma violência desmedida. As músicas nos remetem realmente a tempos passados, mesmo que não tenhamos vividos naquela época... OBRA-PRIMA!!!!
  51. Nov 30, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is by far the best Bioshock game to date, but it still fails to be anything more than a linear FPS with moderately interesting story.

The graphics are good, nothing I can complain about, though the visual style is clearly borrowed from Dishonored.

Most combat situations remain interesting, especially when you have the ability to travel around the battlefield on
    rails. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to shoot anything while so doing.

I'll not ruin the story, but I will say that it's not entirely predictable. I had suspected most of the twists for much of the game, disappointingly, but assumed the writers weren't enough to use them. Much of the story feels like it's a dream, in that it lacks transition and doesn't really form a clear path.

If you've been locked in a basement playing Battlefield games for the last ten years, you'll think this is the greatest single-player shooter ever made. If you have ever read or watched any science fiction, or played many indie games, or basically been exposed to interesting writing in any media you'll play this through once, think about it a while trying to figure out what the hell happened, and then never touch it again.
  52. Jan 25, 2014
    I really liked this game. Really really liked it. Its graphics are fantastic, theme is spot-on, and the gameplay is rock-solid. The only complaints I have (relatively minor ones) stem from the story and characters.

Starting off with the graphics: I'm so glad my upgraded PC can run this on max. While some areas of the game aren't really that amazing from a technical standpoint, going
    outside in Columbia is a revelation. Not only did I appreciate the lighting, textures, and particle effects, but felt that they aided my absorption into the game.

The astounding graphics tie into my next love of the game: the theme. Columbia is breathtaking. The old-timey machines, voices, and buildings are breathtaking. This game made 1912 interesting, a mean feat considering how boring I found it previously. The ideas behind this game are varied, and I have no doubt that they could carry a prequel or a sequel if one was made.

Gameplay finally. Weapons feel punchy and dangerous. Vigors were better implemented in this game than they were in the first Bioshock; they were a key aspect of most of my battles. Elizabeth's 'tearing' saved my ass so many times that I'm not even sure I would have beat the game without it. Skylines are just the best idea ever, although I did find myself over-using them because of the almost-complete safety they gave me. Airship battles: not restricting at all, which I thought they would be. The enemies also kept you on your toes, with the Handymen and crow guys standing out for me. Some people say the gameplay is nothing special, and objectively that may be so, but I did really feel like Booker DeWitt trying to survive in this weird new world whenever I was in combat.

Now to the goddamn story and characters. Without spoiling much, I loved Elizabeth (as most do). Pretty much all of the moments of happiness, sadness, and compassion were because of her. Only times I didn't like her was when she was wayyyyy too clued-in to what was going on to make any sense (read: the ending). However, that's more of a story problem than hers. Comstock was one-dimensional, racist, bible-bashing, but entertaining enough. Booker has a bit of an uneven story; he turns from being vital to the plot to almost invisible many times throughout the game. Other characters range from great (Lutece twins) to okay (Jeremiah Fink) to bad (Daisy Fitzroy).

The story itself, well, I really really really liked it. Ranging from figuring out what the hell is going on to trying to escape to, well, the endgame, I had a blast throughout. I genuinely looked forward to every new location in the game. Only problem; the ending was rushed. I loved the ideas behind it, but they could have been paced better to give the player time to breathe. That being said, the whole ending sequence was so thought-provoking I want to replay the game just to see what I missed. I could go on with my opinion on the story, but I don't really feel like it. It's really an 'in the moment' game.

Overall, a great game.
  53. Dec 19, 2013
    go shoot, and that's the whole game, no deposit, I do not understand what it all like?
    I dont reccomend that, i got it on steamgifts, its not a game//
  54. Dec 27, 2013
    Don't get me wrong I didn't hate Bioshock Infinite, but I was very disappointed in the final product. While the game looks gorgeous and the interaction with Elizabeth is impressive that's where the innovation ends. Now if all you care about is a decent campaign with a lot of shooter gameplay than by all means buy Infinite. To me, however, this game is way too much shooting, and after waves and waves of enemies I found myself not enjoying the game and waiting for it to end. This game was a bit on the short side but I was happy that it ended early because the gameplay does not change at all during the game, its an average shooter at best. This is not as good as the original Bioshock, I found myself immersed in Rapture as compared to Columbia. Besides the interactions with Elizabeth and the graphics, Bioshock Infinite is a very average game. Expand
  55. Jan 22, 2014
    Amazing graphics, characters, setting, design, music and sound effects.
    Absolutely retarded and terrible gameplay!! It's really a disgrace to the fps genre in terms of challenge and mechanics.
  56. Jan 6, 2014
    Bioshock Infinite 1 of the years best with a ending that ties everything together characters so real you can touch them mainly Elizabeth the most pure and innocent character ever who is the heart and soul of this art.
  57. Jwv
    Jan 9, 2014
    I didn't like the level design very much, the levels were graphically top-notch, but they didn't let much room for the player to experiment and explore to his own liking. I would like to see the big, crazy BioShock sandboxes again in the future. The combat was enjoyable, with different types of enemies and cool weapons and upgrades. Complicated story that will keep you into your seat. What I missed was a direct confrontation with the Songbird, because I think that I'm not the only one that when buying the game he would be your big nemesis. It was nice for a change to not let the game end on a disappointing boss-fight or short, predictable emotional ride, but on a rather long and thought-provoking journey. Expand
  58. Feb 21, 2014
    BioShock Infinite it's clearly an overrated game. After the underwhelming BioShock 2 everyone thought about the next installment of the BioShock series by the original author (Irrational Games) as the true sequel and created this myth in their minds but the real game is just an average one. It' begins with a very flat start. The world is a dead one, the graphics are 'very artificial' (it's like playing Myst with a gun) and there is not much to do... then begins the FPS part with mediocre playability (controls just not up to par with the competition.. ok I got spoiled by Borderlands 2 and Fallout 3, mediocre physics, uninteresting AI) and the adventure part too it's just boring. It redeem itself towards the end but anyway it's not enough to put the game beyond an 'average' rating. It's a game I would not like to play again, 'boring' and 'clunky' are the two words that comes to my mind. Expand
  59. Jan 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is not often you play a game and then immediately afterwards want to talk about your feelings and experience. System Shock 1 did not do that for me, not even System Shock 2 and I still have my original CDs of that game. SS2 was one of my best games all time by the way. Like it or not - games have moved on and the consolisation of our beloved PC games continues. Shame I say!

Bioshock Infinite is a lot like the original Bioshock. However, some things have been changed for the better - some for the worse. You are now travelling amongst the clouds, in a magical floating city where Humming Birds, Candy Floss and rainbows stretch across the horizon. It follows after one of the best introductions in a video game - starting with the standard man, boat, lighthouse and ending up in the amazing chapel. At the beginning - you sort of explore - play some games in the fairground - see the happy locals living their privelaged life.

Like the orginal BIoshocks - the game is extremely linear - this time there is no illusion that you are free to choose your path. What you are playing is an interactive story and believe me - it is the best interactive story you could ever take part in. Bringing in film, books and gaming together - the end result, and I mean when you get to THE END - you will think and feel like you never have before in gaming.

I liked the moment in the beginning chapel and getting baptised. I liked exploring the opening fairground and taking part in the games. I was surprised by the lottery section and the comment it made on mixed marriages. I liked the use of the sky rails and had not experienced that in a video game before. I liked the combat but found I was often reminded to use the vigours - unlike Bioshock 1 and 2. I liked the beach, the American Indian and Chinese Boxers sections. I liked the build up to your initial meeting with Elizabeth.

The experience with the Elizabeth character was just so amazing and wonderful - totally unique - no - nothing like Alyx in Half Life 2 - much better. Watching the Elizabeth character change over the course of the game was heart wrenching and your inability of stopping that was difficult to take. Remember - you are not in control of this game - you go and do what you are told - you live the story and play your role.

Technically - the game is not better than SS2 or BS1 - but the story telling sets this game apart from any other I have experienced - give it a go, please. Take your time and do not rush - explore the world - struggle through the bad interface and dumbed down options - you will thank me.

Hmm - anything wrong with the game? Well - let's say I would have done some things different - too much shooter for me. Somethings seem to have been taken out or put in at the last minute - it's obvious but all that never really affected my experience, or my feelings.

I think this thing of leaving bits of the story and background in voicemails needs to improve in the future - we gamers really need this a bit more directly - we all don't have time to search the intranet to find answers once we complete a game - please give us more info next time. Some character interaction with the citizens with the world would help that.

So - on to the feelings and thinking bit - BI is a grown up game - younger people might like the (standard) shooty shooty, I would not. Without the story telling this game is not a "Shock". It becomes a standard shooter.

Racism, Equality, The Nature of Power, Violence, Religion, Technology. Family. Children. The choices we make. What is gaming for?

I am giving this a 9/10 with Skyrim being a 10/10. I don't understand the haters below that are giving it a fat zero. Obviously a game can move from a 7 to a 10, some guys might be really into this one and give it a 10. I would not say it is excessive. But zeros? All their criticism is valid though -

Some ways this is worse than Bioshock - the story telling is better.
    Bring us the girl, and wipe away the debt.
    Elizabeth: Booker, are you afraid of God? Booker DeWitt: No. But I'm afraid of you.
    The mind of the subject will desperately struggle to create memories where none exist.
    The seed of the prophet shall sit the throne, and drown in flame the mountains of man.
    Love the Prophet, cause he loves the Sinner, Love the Sinner, Because he is you. Without the Sinner, what need is there for a redeemer? Without Sin, what grace has forgiveness?
    What exactly was the great emancipator, emancipating the negro from? From his daily bread, from the nobility of honest days work, from wealthy patrons who sponsered them from cradle to grave. Front clothing and shelter and what have they done?, Why go to Finkton and you shall find out. No man is born free, except the white man, and it is our burden to care for the rest of creation.

The ending is the best ending EVER in a video game - show me better if you can.
  60. Jan 27, 2014
    Bioshock was my Game of the Year of 2013. In order to have a full understanding and experience, play the other Bioshock's before starting Infinite.
    The graphics are gorgeous and stunning on PC, the gameplay and shooter mechanics are smooth and exceptional.
    What really drives Infinite is the story line. Not ruining anything, but the ending is confusing to many people and I suggest once
    you have finished, youtube the ending of Bioshock Infinite explained in full detail.
    Elizabeth is a companion that is never going to be forgotten. She not only helps you in battle, but she is what drives the story. Elizabeth, you could say, is the centerpiece throughout the entire game.
    The vigors are well thought and interpreted, as this gives the player many options to chose how they want to approach a battle. Planning is essential on the higher difficulties, especially 1999 mode.
    However, the game does not feature enough guns, and I found myself sticking with the same guns throughout the whole game.
    All in all, one of the best story-driven, first-person shooters I have ever played. Please continue to amaze us, 2K and Irrational Games.
  61. Jan 26, 2014
    Back in the year 2007, the company Irrational Games released BioShock, which was a fantastic first person shooter that brought new things to the table that brought a more unique flare to the tried and true FPS genre. This game had an amazing storyline, superpowers that change the way the game can be played, and beautiful graphics. The game was fantastic, and critically acclaimed by critics and FPS fans alike. Then in 2010, a sequel called BioShock 2 was released. This game was not made by the same developer. Despite this however, the game was considered great, but not as good as its predecessor. Now the series is back with BioShock Infinite, a game with a different setting from the first two games, but is still made by the developer of the first game. So, does this game live up to the legacy of its predecessors, or should the developers have just stuck with the original setting? Let's find out. The gameplay of this game is very similar to its predecessors. It is a first person shooter with many weapons for you to mess around with. This game has all of the weapons that an FPS fan could ask for. It has machine guns, shotguns, pistols, and even grenade launchers. This may sound like your generic FPS at first, but this game also has something that changes the gameplay quite a bit. You also have these amazing superpowers called vigors. Vigors give your character special powers such as the ability to throw fire into your enemy's faces, zapping them with lightning, and even murdering them with a horde of crows. Overall, this game's gameplay is not much different from it's predecessors at all, except that it seems to appeal more to the modern FPS fan then a classic one. After all, this time you can only have two weapons at a time, and you can only wield two vigors at a time. However, this isn't much of a problem considering that it is still fun to play despite this restriction. The gameplay of this game is quite fantastic overall. The graphics of this game have got to be the most beautiful I have ever seen in any video game. I'm not kidding. This game's graphics are just so beautiful it is crazy. Everything is rich with detail, along with being bright and colorful. The setting is probably the most beautiful part however. It is a city in the clouds that is filled with posters, billboards and the like talking about how amazing the place is. The people in the game are realistic looking, the clouds in the sky are a nice touch, and I could go on and on. This game is about as beautiful as a modern FPS can get. As for the story, it is quite possibly the best story that I have ever heard in my life. That is not a joke. This story is so amazing it is ridiculous. It starts with you, the main character Booker DeWitt, who is threatened with death if he doesn't complete his mission. His mission is to "Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt,". This girl is Elizabeth, who you will meet later in the game, who will be your sidekick later on. Along the way, you get caught up in a conflict with the game's main villain, Zachary Hale Comstock who created the city of Columbia, which is where the game takes place. The story is told like a classic animated Disney movie, and is filled with themes such as racism and religion. The story is handled quite fantastically, and is told very well.
    Overall, this game definitely lives up to the legacy of its predecessors. It is a game that absolutely everyone needs to play. It is one of the best games I have ever played in my life. My only real problem with it is that it is too much like a modern shooter, where the other games in the franchise were more like a classic FPS.
    Gameplay: 9/10
    Graphics: 10/10
    Story: 10/10
    Overall: 10/10
  62. Jan 27, 2014
    Relish this game. Take it all in. Beautiful and gripping from pillar to post! One of the best games ive ever played...to date! I find it hard to comprehend how some people score it low. If its not your cup of tea its worth at least a 7/10 for its sheer graphical quality and beauty!
  63. Jan 27, 2014
    The game is not bad but I must say that I enjoyed the first Bioshock more and to a lesser degree Bioshock 2. It just doesn't have that gem quality the first one did. As a shooter it is mediocre. As a story driven action adventure the story is only mildly compelling with the usual go here do this, go here do that. Many of its spells/augmentations seem to be there just as filler as they don't really add much to the game. The art direction is very good but that's to be expected from Irrational, if only they didn't use the same rather outdated engine. The game was also a bit repetitive. The quality is there as a triple A game would demand but it just didn't dazzle me as much as Dishonored did, which I think competes well in this genre. Expand
  64. Feb 6, 2014
    bioshock infinite has lost it's roots and become just a beautifull looking shooter. nothing more, nothing less. It's doesn't need the name bioSHOCK, they should rename it to something else. Because there is nothing to shock. System shock 2 was truly good with it's very outdated graphics.In Bioshock 1 there were some good moments that were shocking.... That people only rate this game a 10 because it's good looking is like handed over a chocolate that is good looking but very hollow. I finished the game, but I could have spend the money else ware. Perhaps the last DLC part is any good? Expand
  65. Feb 17, 2014
    this is not a terrible game by any means but it just doesnt feel the same you dont get the same vibe as rapture columbia is too bright and i also miss fighting people who are insane
  66. Mar 4, 2014
    Like mentioned by other graphics are stunning. I spent ages searching around the little bits of the linear path just to make sure I have not missed anything. Thought the story was good as well and your AI buddy does not get in the way like other games and occasionally likes to throw money and guns at you, which is always a bonus! I am looking forward to getting round to buying and giving the dlc a play through. Expand
  67. Feb 24, 2014
    /// sorry for bad english/// bioshock infinite best game in which I played an incredible story introducing the head, great graphics(not for innovation , a wonderful atmosphere and beauty) , the combat system was estimated at low levels of complexity recommend to take the 1999 mode , this game is so good that I played 90 hours approximately 5 playthroughs ,you won't believe I just enjoy beautiful locations ,and plot ,but really ,this is the best game at the time of 2013. 10 out of 10 masterpiece Expand
  68. Mar 2, 2014
    I'm quite disapointed. I've heard a lot about this game, " best fps ever", " best game 2013" ect... so, i watched a "Let's Play" of Bioshock, i bought Bioshock 2 so i coud play Bioshock Infinite. 50 bucks wasted... The story was interested, i really liked the twist ending, i didn't see it coming BUT it lasted 8 hours... I know, I'm a quick gamer, i "died" only twice, but still! HOW can this game be rated so highly if after 8 hours, it's finished?! And you cannot replay it again and again for the other endings like the other Bioshocks... The story is just the same... I know a lot of games WAY beter than this. You want a good story, non linear, quite long? Metro 2033. You want great graphics? Battlefield.
    This game doesn't even have Multiplayer... At first, i really tought that the story was interactive ( espacially with the bird / cage pin, the bird woud be freedom, it's not decorated yet it's the best and the cage seem the best, you love it most but your inprisonned)....
    I do agree that there is a problem with collision zones, they're poorly made....
    I did like it, the story was interesting, i really liked the originality with Elizabeth and i really loved the Twist Ending. But it's not Worth its Hype...
    Quite a disapointment...
  69. Mar 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a fan of story in games, I found myself sitting at the end of the credits of Bioshock: Infinite with many questions swirling around in my head. Some about the game, some about the impact, but one that has stuck with me since: "Why does everyone think this game is a 10/10?"

Usually, with sequels, developers try to innovate and create unique experiences in a similar universe of a game. They try their hardest to replicate the success of the earlier installments, and to try and make a title worthy of the series' name.

Was Bioshock: Infinite innovative and unique? No.
    Did Irrational Games try their hardest to create this game? Not at all.

E3 2011: 15 minutes of gameplay is released. It shows creative features with environment-reactive NPC's and large landscapes with dense setpieces. Elizabeth is also shown to react promptly to the drastic actions you take. You feel immersed in this world. It is beautiful, yet dangerous.
    Did any of this make it into the final product? Nope.
    The NPC's are lifeless and absent for most of the game. The graphics may be wonderful but that feeling of immersion quickly wears off the second you push that rotating blade into a cop's head for grabbing your wrist. And Elizabeth? She'll come later.

Gameplay: Big question here: Why was this game a First Person Shooter? For a game trying to tell a story about conflicting ideals and the possibilities of alternate universes, why did shooting guards and ghosts in linear gauntlet sequences similar to Call of Duty seem to be the best choice? The "continuation" of the Bioshock name rears its ugly head here, as I feel Irrational was forced to make this decision due to keeping the similarity going. It didn't help, much similar to the gameplay changes from System Shock 2 to Bioshock. The difficulty system in the game is laughable, going up in difficulty means making enemies bigger bullet sponges, and that is it. While I understand the hype around other parts of the game, I believe 10/10 games to be nearly flawless. And the gameplay of this game is anything but, with its dull repetitive shooting galleries that take up most of the game, and with the unforgivable removal of key features that made this game unique to play. Development Hell kicked this poor game down.

Graphics: This is the only part I can see the love for. The art style really makes the game seem like it was in development for six years. It's refined and has its own quirks. Yet your immersion in this beautiful world lasts for all of ten minutes.

Story: Oh lord. While many might bag me down for saying I just didn't "understand," you're right. I don't understand. I don't understand the praise for this uninspired, bloated story with one of the most jumbled endings of any game I've seen in all of my life. The game starts with an overdone bashing of old American values, and it sure does bash you with it constantly and barrages you with "BLACK IS BAD" propaganda. It's all "THIS GOOD, THIS BAD" for hours and hours, and the game does nothing with it as you blast the white man down. For a game that is praised for pushing the story-telling medium forward, the story lacks any sort of nuance. Then, the time travel plot kicks in. Infinite realities and such. At the end of the game, you (Booker) are drowned as you eventually become Comstock, the villain, and must be killed to prevent Columbia from ever being made. At this point, multiple universes have been traversed, and it is implied that this certain Booker's (you) death will result in all Booker's dying in every universe. However, this contradicts what the infinite realities theory really is: infinite. Killing one man in one universe does nothing for the again, infinite realities that are existing. The producers tried to put as many confusing elements of quantum mechanics into their game, but failed to understand any of them. I have full faith that the story was being made up as it went along near the end. I could go on for hours on how this story is nothing short of horrid, but that's already been done by various others. Instead, I'll end it with Elizabeth and Booker.
    Booker is your hero, and a very dumb one at that. Completely ignoring all signs for him to not do what he does, he does it anyway. A hero that pushes onward no matter what is heroic, a hero that slays hundreds for no reason to pay off a debt is disgusting.
    Elizabeth is your main objective: you save her from her tower guarded by a beast that serves as her guardian. She is spunky, lovable, and funny. She should not be any of these things. Being trapped in that tower means you are not a Disney princess, you are emotionally detached and volatile. Of course, Irrational can't do this, as spunky female characters are all the rage right now.

Sometimes I worry about the industry, how these games are praised as the next comings of christ.

The game is praised for being intelligent and thought-provoking, but does not understand how a coherent story or actual characters should function.
  70. Jun 8, 2014
    the graphics are really poor, the gameplay of the past century and uninteresting story.
    The first and the second was really pleasant (the second less than the first)
    but then I took no pleasure and I had to force myself to finish this game.
  71. Jun 13, 2014
    To put it simply Bioshock Infinite is the best game I have ever played. Stunning visuals, a phenomenal setting, enjoyable gunplay and the best story I've ever had the pleasure to play through.
  72. Jun 25, 2014
    The 4 rating is to rank it as a game slightly worse than average. It's a mediocre game with a beautiful shine. Its plot and ideas show promise but never work in action, underdeveloped, and are never given detail or depth. The companion was not insufferable, but lacked detail and development, and never felt vital (despite her powers and role in the story). As does the whole world and story. The game tries to present a "morally gray" situation and problem by presenting two completely black-scale, unbelievable, caricature sides. It's infuriating to see the serious, historical oppression of so many people, or backlash and revolutions - and the problematic imperialism and nationalism of the time Infinite takes place in - represented in such a crazed and stupid way. People do not think or act this way.

Even Andrew Ryan, as extreme and evil the story made him at parts, had an understandable perspective and view. You could see his reasons and his attitude, you could see that maybe he lost control. He showed regret. And the rebels against him were sympathetic because of their situation, just manipulated by a con artist.

As for gameplay: the save system is terrible, unless only one player is playing at a time and they speed through the maps. Exploring is almost gone in this game. Combat is just a large spamming of same-y enemies, and the mechanics highly encourage and partly force you to use the same weapons and tonics the entire game. There's no strategy available in this game, you just hack'n'slash through the swarm until it's over. And it's not ENTERTAINING, it'd be fine if it was, but it's just monotonous and tedious. It took out the smart and cool aspects of BioShock, but failed to meet a new standard of chaotic, crazy fun, just blazing away on the targets.

The game's setting does not meet it's mechanics well either, since they ARE a skeleton of the first game's. The developers failed to integrate Elizabeth's crazy-cool universe-bending powers into the mechanics in a more integrated, interesting, and less gimmicky way, which kills me. And they never explain tonics or the Handymen, or make them make sense in Infinite. The only reason they're there is because BioShock had it. Whereas in BioShock, there was a REASON there were plasmids and Big Daddies, it was completely fitting to its game and story.

This is why the game gets a 4, not a 5 or a 6. It was a chore to play, unrewarding, and the story didn't do enough to compensate. While it's ideas are cool and ambitious, it's all on the surface. I know BioShock's world like I know myself, I know almost nothing about Infinite's. They didn't ever flesh it out in the same way.

Infinite was advertised as a game about a city on the edge of falling on destruction, but living and with a gilded gloss. It acts as dead, broken, and crazy as Rapture. While somehow forgetting the more human aspect Rapture's tragedy had.
  73. Jun 28, 2014
    The best game i've ever played. 100% sure. The best about Bioshock series is the fact that the games have no cutscenes and that makes the experience totally real. The scenary and the graphics are so beautiful you will feel the need to enjoy every second, notice every detail, explore every place. The story is beautiful, the characters captivating and the ending couldn't be more perfect. The gameplay is awesome, allows you to create strategies on your battles and fight in a lot of ways possible. Bioshock Infinite is not to be played, is to be lived. This game is an art piece, it's perfect. Expand
  74. Jul 3, 2014
    just fantastic, the best game i have played in a long time.
    some people's graphics have a couple of issues on the PC that can be fixed but once they are done its just great. the gameplay is easy to get lost in, the story has some truly remarkable moments that will have your mind doing somersaults. its totally different to the first two bioshock games, but also so close that you feel right
    at home. play through and you will see just how close it gets. many little nuances that keep you interested in the background and scenery.
    it manages to be both familiar and completely new, i have honestly never played anything quite so good. there are great games and then there are exceptional games, this definitely falls into the latter. if you are a fan of the first bioshock games then this is a game that you will love intensely.
    if you are new to the series i could see how it could seem a bit bewildering. there is so much intensity to the story, styling and background it could be overwhelming. all i could suggest is to play the others too and you will fall in love with the series.
    10 is not high enough praise from me.
  75. Jul 7, 2014
    Had to make an account just to write a review for this game. This is easily one of the best games I have played in the past 10 years. The world, art style, gameplay, voice acting, graphics, and mechanics are incredible and absolutely keep you hooked. The crown jewel of the game is really the story though. Its as good if not better than some of the top HBO shows, movies, etc.. Everything about it is perfection and I would not change a single thing. If you have not played this game it is a MUST. Expand
  76. Jul 28, 2014
    This is by far the best fps I have ever played. The plot is outstanding and the action is great, it was hard to pull myself away from it. The game isn't just horror based like bioshock 1 and 2, it revolves around a breathtaking plot which some points are designed to be scary. There was never a single moment when i felt finished or even frustrated with the game, if you haven't played it yet, get it now. Expand
  77. Jun 20, 2013
    This HAS to be game of the year. This game is so fresh, and its not stale! This is one of the greatest games I have played in a long time, I've just completed it and I don't want to spoil anything but it feels like I've just watched The Matrix for the first time. My mind is blown.

Anyway, I wasn't too sure about this game. The fact that it took place up in the sky put me off as the
    first 2 games were at the bottom of the ocean and I thought there's no way that's possible, it must be a tiny city... (Derp, Bioshock 1 & 2 took place underwater! What am I thinking?!) The graphics made me a bit put off as well which looked a bit more like a cartoon rather than it looking rough and realistic and I really regret judging the game for that which is why I didn't buy it until a few days ago.

The graphics are really nice and have this bloom effect. The game also ran really well for me on 'High' the only problems I had was random crashing a few times which rarely happened as well as stuttering if I alt-tabbed out of the game for a while or just very rare random stuttering. (Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz, 3.5GB Ram, [I actually have 8 but 32-bit only lets me use 3.5] and ATI Radeon 6950.)

There are lots of weapons and the revolver no doubt is my favourite, as well as the machine gun. All of the weapons give a satisfying *UMPH* if you know what I mean. As for the plasmids (or vigors) which have cleverly been designed as liquid to consume; are somewhat similar to the plasmids but have a different feel to it which is ok.

Now you have an NPC which follows you throughout the game which is Elizabeth and surprisingly she's not dumb and doesn't get in the way or be useless as a brick wall, she's actually really useful. The dialogue where she throws supplies is a bit repetitive but you don't really notice it that much as you can mostly hear gunfire.

The overall feel for the game has that Bioshock feeling, but its different and I like it.

BAD: Personally I am disappointed that nothing is really physical like the first 2 games. I can understand why they did this as the physics in the previous games were clunky and a bit buggy but a lot of items could had been physical.

I also dislike that when you upgrade your weapons no attachments are added to them, it's just the same model.

Overall this game is 100% worth buying, it's fresh, the voice acting is simply amazing and I really got attached to Elizabeth as well as the story and I really hope that there's a sequel to this game.

THANK YOU BIOSHOCK INFINITE DEVELOPERS & VOICE ACTORS AND EVERYONE ELSE FOR MAKING AN AWESOME GAME!
  78. Fix
    Apr 21, 2013
    I was blown away by how this game pulled me in. I don't usually care about the story in video games, but this one really had me. The music in the game is awesome. I wonder how much they had to pay for all of those music rights. This is the best game I've played since Skyrim.
  79. Apr 17, 2013
    Only moderately decent as a shooter but worth playing once through for a reasonably engaging story and imaginative environments. However, playing at turtle speed and strolling around looking at every painting on the wall will only buy you 12-15 hours of game play making the experiencing limited. I felt like I got Act I and then someone decided to cram Acts II III into the last 2 hours rather than fully developing a complete AAA game. For that reason, I would recommend waiting until the final edition is released with all DLC and put on sale for $20-$30 which is where the price point is worthy of being for the ride. Expand
  80. Jun 6, 2013
    A mostly fun game, but not one I feel the need to replay since it was very generic most of the time. It's very much a tunnel shooter. This game had a LOT of hype, but was not as good as the original, nor anything that special gameplay or technically wise. Though the story was good.
    It's a 6/10 at best tbh
  81. Jul 28, 2013
    Good but not great another fine example of industry overhype.

The art design and overall feel of the world is fantastic (even though technically the graphics are rather poor lots of post-processing hiding poor textures and low poly counts) but the gameplay is a very generic shooter and gets repetitive very quickly. Overall game mechanics are dumbed-down significantly from Bioshock 1
    and 2.

In short, a shiny but shallow game. Worth playing for the world and the story, but nowhere near as good as people are making it out to be.
  82. Apr 25, 2013
    Just finished. Amazing game. Kept me hooked beginning to end, did not want to do anything else. So many details that were cool and unique and found nowhere else. The story is incredible and this is the first game I've bought in a while that I actually felt deserved my money. One thing I will say is the fighting tended to get repetitive with the shoot this guy, search that garbage can for ammo, shoot that guy, search some corpses for a sandwich, etc. I've never seen so much money just strewn about and thrown away anywhere. If there had to be a flaw, it would be the search-system. Not sure how one would fix that, but it is what it is. Doesn't detract from the game though. LOVES me that hand cannon. Expand
  83. Jul 13, 2013
    Yes, sometimes you know a game will be good before you even play it. But you still have no idea just how good this game is. This game will touch you...
  84. May 2, 2014
    Bioshock Infinite is a decent game which suffers from pacing and gameplay issues. The story is decent enough, but a let down compared to the first game, and not nearly as clever in its commentary about the world or video games. The best part of the game is your sidekick, Elizabeth, who is a sidekick done right and uses a very clever mechanic to make herself useful and meaningful, but the game itself failed to make itself dynamic enough for her to be used to her full potential.

The story of the original Bioshock is what really made the game special. Unfortunately, this game's story is not up to the level of the first game's story; you don't feel the same drive onward, and, unfortunately, because of the first game's twist, it is more obvious that there is going to be a twist in this one, which somewhat bothered me as I saw the twist coming from the very start of the game.
    Unlike in the previous games, in Bioshock Infinite, your character, Booker DeWitt, has both a name and a personality. Booker speaks up throughout the game, talking to the various NPCs, and especially to his sidekick, Elizabeth.
    The best and worst part of the game is the various transitions between realities; not only do you draw things between worlds, but you actually travel between worlds at various points in the game, to realities where things played out differently, including (eventually) a reality wherein Booker died after coming to the city.
    The problem, ultimately, is that the game never really delivers on the story; it is alright, but it isn't spectacular, and the world-skipping, while a neat idea, never really ends up having the punch that it should, as well as making it so that what we did earlier didn't really matter in that particular world (or maybe it did - who knows?). The whole "dead in one world, alive in another" thing is never really properly explored or followed up on, even though it was built up in significance, and the end result is that while it advanced the plot it really failed to make the game awesome.

The ultimate weakness of this game lies in its gameplay. Bioshock Infinite is every bit the sequel to the previous Bioshock games, and this isn't a good thing - the gameplay is very similar to what it was in previous games, and while the enemy variety is a bit better in this game, there's nothing quite as exciting as some of the Big Daddy fights were in the first game. The Handymen are alright replacements for them, and make for reasonable enough fights, and your first fight against the various new types of enemies is neat enough, but as with the previous games, the lack of real bosses hurts the game a bit.
    The normal soldiers who are running around in most of the game are not terribly difficult or interesting enemies to fight, and while some of the battlefields are very interesting and dynamic and make good use of Elizabeth's powers, many of the fights are the opposite - very static things where you just hide behind cover and shoot the enemies, gradually grinding your way through the group without changing what you had summoned into the fight with Elizabeth at all. Elizabeth's powers are really neat, but without a reason to run around during the fight (something some of the special enemies provided at times, especially the handymen, as well as some of the more interesting environmental setups) they often didn't end up very interesting as they just were a piece of whatever I summoned in at the start to help me, rather than something I brought in mid-fight to swing things in my favor.
    The actual weapons in the game were very standard for a FPS, with the usual assortment of weapons, and unfortunately the upgrades system really encouraged you to try and stick to as few weapons as possible so that you could make the most use out of your upgrades - this is one of the major flaws of upgrade systems, in that they actually frequently reduce the variety of gameplay by encouraging you to not use a variety of weapons. Some of the weapons were also vastly better than others, and by the end of the game you pretty much had your pick of which weapon to use most of the time, rather than giving you a scavenging feel.
    The vigors are supposed to help mix things up from the usual FPS point of view, and it is nice to have weird weapons in a game, but ultimately I only ended up using a small number of the vigors - really, the only good ones were the ones which temporarily incapacitated foes, including the one that gave me a free ally for a bit, and as a result I pretty much only used three vigors through most of the game. They also didn't fit into the world at all thematically.
    All in all, the gameplay didn't really match the ambiance the story seemed to be trying to create, and the gameplay was too slow for the game itself - the game would have been better if it had avoided making you run around looking for change all the time.
  85. Mar 31, 2013
    This game is a worthy successor to the fantastic original Bioshock. Not only does it have one of the best stories ever told in one of gaming's most incredible settings, it has some of the most original and fun gameplay as well. This is the greatest game to come out in the last few years and the greatest first person shooter since the original Bioshock. A must-play game.
  86. Nov 9, 2013
    I do agree with Bioshock: Infinite being somewhat overrated, but that doesn't stop me from loving this game.

After about a year, I am ready for my review on here. I will try to keep it shorter, for everybody's sake!

Bioshock takes place in an insanely beautiful place. Columbia, the city in the clouds! As a PC gamer, the numerous visual options blew me away, and I had fun fiddling
    with them. When applied, the game's setting, powered by DirectX11/Uneal Engine, is ludicrously hypnotic in its beauty. I will often find myself walking around just to marvel at the detail and explore. Because, you do have free reign to explore plenty of times! With hidden items, secret areas, and meaningful collectables waiting to reward you for exploring. The story definitely takes you on a ride, with great gunplay, powers, and upgrades to help you along this game, which is awesomely similiar to a RPG without going too far into RPG territory. I admit, the game can be a bit annoying at times, especially the Handyman enemies, and some of them can soak up bullets like no tomorrow! The places where you fight said enemies tend to be a bit linear at times, but I always felt that because a game is linear doesn't mean it's bad. Bioshock: Infinite does manage to have side quests or hidden goodies to make exploration of these somewhat linear areas meaningful! I'll take that over something like Battlefield 3's campaign, which was linear but didn't have meaningful exploration!

Bioshock: Infinite is amazing, but it isn't perfect. It's truly above average, at least to me, and this is one epic story you will not want to miss!
  87. Nov 17, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is amazing, just utterly amazing. The first sky hook execution put a smile on my face from ear to ear after which I never stopped smiling through the entire game. With the sky hook comes the sky rail which turns you into a living roller coaster from which you can attack enemies on the move. It provides an amazing combination of fast-paced action along with the rush of riding a roller coaster.

The story is incredible although it really has nothing to do with the original Rapture storyline so it doesn't necessarily fit the BioShock series. Although because it is such a great game which sticks to the original BioShock style game play, it is nice to know that the BioShock series was not tarnished. One can honestly say the BioShock trilogy is one of the best of all time.

Future games need to take notes on how to implement a sidekick. Any girl that gives me money is ok in my book and Elizabeth is a sweetheart to boot. She never gets in the way. She's never commanding or condescending. And she even helps you out by pointing out items like lock picks and voxophones. I actually developed a sense of trust in her. She was not only useful, but made me feel welcome in the process.

Easily the best game I've played this year.
  88. Apr 16, 2013
    The original was an incredible game and truly groundbreaking in the first person shooter market. The original created Rapture, Atlas, Jack, and Andrew Ryan and it spent hours upon hours of truly picking into their every crevice. This game never feels like it develops as deep as the original, but I think it may be because of the massive scope of theology, ideology, and Scientific theory that is is trying to delve into. If all you are looking for is a CoD or Battlefield clone, this is not that game. The shooting isn't its best feature, the skyline doesn't quite work that great on consoles, and it wasn't until late in the game that I felt like using Vigors. Although Bucking Bronco and Undertow are incredible fun to play with. I cannot remember another game I have ever played that asked such deep questions, or left me sitting in the chair just taking a deep breath and trying to understan the scale of everything I just saw. Sure, there are times that it became a little convoluted, and if you want you can claim you saw it coming. You didn't see all of it coming, but believe whatever you want. I have just never played a game that had such real world social commentary, and asked made you think so deeply. The spectacle that is the end can be seen based on how polarized it has left many of the reviews. I think the problem is that people are trying to say, they have already seen this kind of stuff in books, or expected it to have RPG elements or some random other aspects that were never meant to be in the game. Anyways, my point is while books and film have had the same elements, this is the first game I have ever seen to push the genre further and it was refreshing. I look forward to anything else Ken Levine can come up with as this was a truly amazing experience and I could not put it down from the second I picked it up. It did not do very much to make itself better than Bioshock 1, however Bioshock 1 was perfect, so I don't know how it could have.

I just have to add this, why exactly does this game have to give you free roam? Why should it be open world, why should it have open ended decisions that massively change the story? Why are you expecting this game to be exactly like other games? Also, if you are down voting this game based on graphics, please leave. If someone reviews games based on looking pretty, I doubt they understood this game anyways. Ken Levine wanted to make films, that is why he moved to California. So, this game was never really designed to be the best shooter on the market. It basically is there to tell a very deep and intense story and the best format for telling said story is through a first person medium.
  89. Mar 30, 2013
    Felt like I was playing an Disney Pixar movie at times. Plot is mind bending but seems legit. It was a huge improvement over first two Bioshocks. The world is fun and colorful as opposed to claustrophobic and dark.
  90. Aug 20, 2014
    Though not as gritty as the previous two installments, Bioshock Infinate still boasts a brilliant cohesive storyline with well drawn-out characters and a setting that is visually impressive. The graphics are great, the voice acting is great, the ending is convoluted and confusing but its the score that helped me get through the game. The score is none-short of amazing.

Overall the game
    isn't as good as the previous two but it's still a fantastic game with vast improvements and a great AI system where the AI actually help you out and not get in the way of thing. Expand
  91. Apr 17, 2013
    Even if you stripped away the story, characters, art direction, voice acting, and music this would still be a good game. But with all those elements, this game is amazing. The art direction and detail in certain areas of the game is jaw dropping. There is much imagination at work in this game, both with gameplay and story. To say more about how good the story and characters are would venture into spoiler territory. This is a worthy sequel to the original Bioshock. Not only worthy, but better. Expand
  92. Mar 30, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is a gaming treasure that I implore anyone to check out. Excellent storytelling matched with a unique feeling of belonging. The period of alternate 1920 also adds a unique spin on modern American politics.
  93. Apr 2, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a great game, but certainly not a perfect one. The ambiance and the plot are good enough to keep you playing even when combat is getting repetitive and sometimes annoying. Because yes, the lack of variety and originality in the new plasmids (oups, tonics) and the dull guns (a sh*tload of boring shotguns for 4 or 5 interesting weapons) are making the gunfights a bit weak, even if it's way more dynamic than in the first bioshock games. But don't get me wrong, this game is great, you get to discover the incredible universe of Columbia with pleasure and Elizabeth is a great addition to the game, her presence isn't annoying at all. The only real problem with this game is the fact that you pay sixty bucks for about 14-16 hours of gameplay. You should wait for the Steam summer deals, but it's definitely a buy, don't pirate it! Expand
  94. Mar 29, 2013
    Have not seen better game since original Bioshock of new era. This is a masterpiece no matter what anyone personal feeling of setup is. Game works as a game it keep you with the game world as game should, mechanics works pretty well, although, as an shooter it's a bit choppy time to time, but since you just wanna see more of it it doesn't even bother. The engine sense I think graphics looks great they could of done better job at optimizing it as running pretty heavy setups and yet can't get ultra or even very high to work in playable fps tells me something could of been done better. I'll rate this 10 any day over stuff I have seen in past 2 years in gaming. Hell, having hard time to even compare this at old school shooters which were good as this one, but this sure will be one of golden pieces in gaming history remembered for whole year 2013. Expand
  95. Jan 10, 2014
    This is one hard game to judge and to review, because it has so much but at the same it has so little. But I want to be clear from the start: yes, it is a good game. Yes, it has a very good story. Yes, it is a better shooter than normal. No, it's definitely not a masterpiece that everyone assume: it has flaws and those flaws are huge that cannot be avoided, especially considering I LOVED the original (especially System Shock), and I was expecting so much from this game, but when I heard of thecontent they had, but later removed, I just waited for a discount. Something that I didn't do for the original.

What's good in it:

1)The story is the best part of the game and despite confusing at first...it will be still confusing later on, until you end the game, and hardly any game nowadays is able to do hook you like this game, especially an fps game. I won't spoil the story, but it's interesting and very engaging. Is it flawless? No, but it's still good. And that's what counts.

2) The combat, while being a shooter, is actually pretty good although not very innovative, but if we have to compare to other "modern" fps game this is way higher on the scale: the vigors, while being not exceptional comparing to the original Bioshock, it still gives some variation on the fight and combined with your weapons (I'll talk about it) and also the sky-line fights, it gives some good combat now and then
    and it was ok and enjoyable. Only downside is that the fights are far too easy (I played on normal) so unless you want a challenge, you'll have to fight on highest difficulty, especially since your partner (Elizabeth) will provide support now and then. Not perfect, but definitely better than the average fps.

3) I finished the game in about 10 hours, doing the most I can and trying to gather most of the powerups I could get (the pots), so even on length it's pretty good too considering most of fps nowadays, if you're lucky, will last about 5 hour or so, even less if you like to rush on the game. Sure the game will last less than 10 hours if you rush but, once again, if we have to compare to other fps, it's pretty lengthy. On its own, it's good enough: not too long, not too short.

What's bad in it:

1)You can only carry 2 weapons at once and, unless you find the weapon somewhere, you'll be stuck with the two you've got; this alone will make most of the weapons useless, because you'll focus on just 2 weapons most of the time and only them for the rest of the game: a pity because not only the original you could carry all of the weapons, but each one was useful (even the wrench, with the right upgrade!).

2)You can use all of the vigors at once but it's so badly implemented (you hold Q to show the screen of vigors; in Bioshock it was bind to your F1 keys) that you will often forget them and just use two all time (since it's also very easy, it won't matter).

3) Passives are gone and are replaced with clothes that you have to find and once you use them, you can replace with another until you find another. General upgrades also are dumbed down, with potions upgrade for health, shield and salts, and money for the other upgrades (instead of a specific revenue, like the ADAM in Bioshock)

4)Too few exploration and lack of choices....and those few choices will lead you to nothing, since the game ends the same everytime. Also, the game is extremely linear despite the game will try to give "different paths", but the game will always force your way through one way only.

5)Vigors are extremely dumbed down and not all of them are very useful and not worth upgrading at all. And some powers aren't here, like Telekinesis... (I would have LOVED to throw them away!!!!)

There are probably other issues that I could mention, but all in all this game is very good and it was enjoyable to play through...but yes, this game, together with Portal 2 and maybe some CoD games, is one of the most overhyped games ever, because of the amount of things they have promised to deliver just scrapped later for giving us, in few words, a "linear shooter with story elements". I won't say it's bad because it's linear (I mentioned it had some exploration), but after Bioshock I expected sooooo much from this game and, to this day, I still consider that game a masterpiece (although that game is too easy too). But yes, I highly recommend this game to give it a try, ESPECIALLY if you find it on discount, because it has a good story (but hard to follow), one of the most reliable and interesting partners I've ever had (and more games should take inspiration from her!), and has an unnoriginal yet good fps mechanic that works, but really begged for more innovation (Ok, the original game was more clunky on using both of your powers....)

A tough score for me, but I think a 9(.5) is a very well deserved to this game.
    Very good, but very flawed as well.
  96. Jun 14, 2013
    Pros: Beautiful graphics. Skylines were fun. Vigors were fun to use. Story was good, and Elizabeth was a great character.
    Cons: Repetitive and formulaic gameplay. The world isn't really "living and breathing" outside of the first part of the game. The Boss Fight. The game is ridiculously easy. Did I mention the Boss Fight?
  97. Apr 1, 2013
    When I read all those positive reviews I kinda wonder whether I played the same game. Handling guns feels better than in first two Bioshck games, since they are powerful, accurate and (thank god) you can actually turn off the mouse acceleration in the settings. Combat overall is more streamlined (=simplified) experience, but feels right nontheless. Elizabeth is one of the greatest npc companions to be seen in fps game.
    On the other hand, overal graphical detail is a joke and although from artistical perspective can be sometimes beautiful, Columbia simply wasn't my thing. Main problem I have with the game (besides the absolutely ridiculous hype it somehow managed to create) is how the story fits into the game. It doesn't. Almost all of it (the important parts anyways) is stuffed to the last few chapters and how much sense it will make depends solely on how many hints you manage to find on your way there. That is simply not how storytelling is supposed to work, not to meniton the comlete lack of choice have in it. Were the gameplay and story in some sort of balance, resulting game would be about the third of its size at best. The storytelling is just terrible and it makes the story look way more complex than it really is and that's probably what generates all the hype. The story itself is pretty intereting and somewhat complex and would've made for a great movie, but the way it is told here is just sad and it hardly supports any actual gameplay.
  98. Oct 17, 2013
    What a contrived load of nonsensical story, poor dialogue, and simple gameplay mechanics. Bioshock was much more ambitious than this and even its predecessor was more ambitious. Breaking down the "plot" in Bioshock Infinite, you would think you've just wasted about four to five hours on a game modeled after the popular Call Of Duty franchise. All throughout, it would seem that the developers were obviously held back by technological limitations. From the civilians that act coincidentally very similar to actual automatons, to the linear parths, the empty shops, the poor textures, and the horrendous AI. It is marred by the simple contrivances of a console developed port. The story is bonkers from start to finish, the character interactions are meaningless, poorly developed and poorly paced. Their are moments of combat that are woefully silly with the new "vigors" featured throughout. The visuals are a mixed bag as well and while thematically it explores an interesting locale (though a technologically far fetched one at that), its still not as imaginative as our first foray into the world of Bioshock or even System Shock. I didn't care for the voice acting or the enemy design. When action slowed down, Elizabeth was boring to listen to, comforting her character with a button press was immensely stupid, the vigors were there but hardly useful and the tougher enemies had to be cheesed all over to beat them on hard difficulty. Most of the guns are useless, unimaginative and emulate Call of Duty to a "t" with its visual style text during combat. Now Bioshock wasn't perfect, it certainly lowered the bar frankly when compared to System Shock 1 and 2, but it was certainly better written than Bioshock Infinite for sure and didn't feature the bizarre love/ hate relationship with a vague girl trapped in a tower away from the outside world all her life. Booker's strange commentary was woefully unrealized, their were moments that actually had no bearing on anything and the multi dimensional angle was irritating in its execution. "They remembered being dead," says Elizabeth. Really? I can't recall a moment in time where a game was so predictable, contrived and poorly structured. I hope someday people look back on the mess that it is at a whole and though some mechanics, which were mostly borrowed from other games, shined through, it was still disappointing on every level as a standalone title. If you have a minute, before you play the game or even buy it, read some of the hilarious plot summaries and various rants about the "real" story. Its amazing how much people can read into a videogame that was meant to appeal to Bioshock fans that only owned the Xbox 360 release and most of the Call of Duty games. Expand
  99. Apr 30, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a fine example of quality game-making. The mechanics are smooth, the story is (mostly) well told, the world is immersive and the sound design is some of the best in the industry. However, I have a number of problems with the game as a whole.
    First and foremost, the game is almost fatally repetitive. It is a strange thing because games are, by their very nature, a
    repetitious art-form, but Infinite has this weird quality about it where you can't help but feel like you're just being pulled along from one firefight to the other. The original Bioshock had a very palpable sense of tension and survival to it. The player got a real sense that the inhabitants of Rapture were universally hostile and bent on killing anything that was foreign to their territory. In Bioshock Infinite, enemies just sort of show up out of nowhere in little waves and start shooting you, over, and over, and over, and over again.
    Bioshock Infinite is also ridiculously easy. I played through the game on Normal and only ran into one instance where I died more than once, and this instance was the final boss-fight. Bioshock had a much stronger emphasis on the importance of looting and resource management. I remember constantly having to juggle between weapons in that game because at any given moment half of them would be out of ammo and I would have to make due with what I currently had. Money was also much more scarce. Conversely, I was practically tripping over money and resources in Infinite. I believe I beat the game with over $6,000 in my wallet and therefore I never even came close to running out of ammo or health. I know that there is the infamous 1999 mode, but Normal difficulty should still pose more of a challenge than that.
    Another issue I have is with the vigors, in that they seem totally arbitrary within the world of Columbia. Now, a friend pointed out to me that they seem to be more of a new thing to Columbia and that is why only a select few (the crow and fire men) have them, but it's still strange to play a bioshock game where vigors, for all intents and purposes, add NOTHING to the plot whatsoever. Plasmids and Adam were essential to the plot of Bioshock and now here are vigors, which are the exact same thing only this time they don't have a reason for being in the world aside from "well, it's a Bioshock game." Another strange thing about the vigors is that I was constantly forgetting to even use them. This isn't to say that they're totally ineffective, but the plasmids in Bioshock were ESSENTIAL to one's survival, whereas here I found that I was getting along just fine most of the time with just capping enemies off with my carbine, at which point I would realize I was incredibly bored and then I would remember "Oh yeah, I can set people on fire."
    Lastly, if you ever take the time to stop and look at anything in Bioshock Infinite closely, you will see that it all looks hideous. Bioshock Infinite is plagued by muddy, low-res textures that the gorgeous lighting effects strain to make up for but never quite do. I have a hard time believing that the game is "too big" for better textures because Far Cry 3 looks generally marvelous and that game has a hell of a lot more to render at any given time than Infinite could ever dream of.
    After all of this, the game is still worth playing and it's actually quite brilliant in small doses. I have issues with the story as well, but I don't want to write a spoiler-y review. Just know that if you take a good, honest look at Bioshock Infinite, you probably won't find the revolutionary, generation-defining masterpiece that everyone is heralding it as. We already got that game and it was just called "Bioshock."
  100. Aug 26, 2013
    Very good game but the lack of fun is what keeps it from being a classic. I don’t think I can really complain about anything but the inventory system and searching ever dead body (I HATE THAT) but I just felt like much of the game was boring combat to get to the next story point. I think this would have made a much better movie than a game.

Play BSI slowly, relish the moments and don’t rush to the end. It’s certain that you will have lived one of the richest gaming experiences that, as far as narration, lyricism and story are concerned, will take a lot of time to forget! [May 2013]
  2. May 7, 2013
    A very solid, but not revolutionary shooter in an amazing setting, with a story that struggles to convey its authors’ ambitions and is only seemingly complex. The vision is less focused than in previous Bioshocks and it does a worse job on binding the plot with gameplay. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.46]
  3. May 1, 2013
    Problematic plotting and excessive amounts of poorly balanced combat apply friction to what is otherwise one hell of a rollercoaster. [May 2013, p.80]