8.5

1. Jul 31, 2014
    Considering all the loads of terrible FPS titles in recent years and my bad experience with previous Bioshock titles, I was really pleasantly surprised that Bioshock: Infinite is an excellent story-driven FPS. Hype is again pretty over the top as it always is with Bioshock series, but Infinite is definitely the best piece of the trilogy that I had by far the most fun playing through. Is it linear, mainstream etc.? Yes, it still is, but it is extremely well done and I appreciate the effort. 8/10 Expand
  2. Jul 29, 2014
    Great game, probably the best in the series. Combat controls are excellent, bugs are nonexistent. The plot, characters, and environment are amazingly well done. A masterpiece of a game.
  3. Jul 28, 2014
    This is by far the best fps I have ever played. The plot is outstanding and the action is great, it was hard to pull myself away from it. The game isn't just horror based like bioshock 1 and 2, it revolves around a breathtaking plot which some points are designed to be scary. There was never a single moment when i felt finished or even frustrated with the game, if you haven't played it yet, get it now. Expand
  4. Jul 26, 2014
    The games looks okay, until people move and talk. In this day and age I expect models that are a bit less 'wooden'.

Sound is excellent as is the story. Though I am still not a major fan of Bioshock in general (BS1 was good but not a classic) this was better.

Despite some available DLC, I did not feel any replay value. But then, I haven't seen Sixth Sense more than once. Games and
    movies with major twists often have this problem though. Expand
  5. Jul 25, 2014
    I'm giving one pint for this boring **** because my little daughter like this game. I don't know how.
    I have to recognize one thing. I can't believe the have contrated Daniel day Lewis to make the soundtrack, but in the other side i understand it BECAUSE IS **** AWFUL.
    But for luck the didn't call Bryan Cranston to make the soundtrack...
  6. Jul 23, 2014
    only two issues:

number of guns and difficulty getting the upgrades right for the weapons I wanted

story got a dlc expansion, but, I'm not bothering with that.
  7. Jul 22, 2014
    I really love Bioshock series,Infinite was one of the best game I played.I enjoy everything in the game and always ready to start this fantasy journey again.
  8. Jul 18, 2014
    While the graphics environments are quite amazing, the girl is pretty, the story strange. What really bugs me about it from a person who is an American, a patriot and a Christian, I was some what offended by the constant use of Christianity in a negative way and the American founding fathers and ideals in a negative way. Grant it, it is a game and the fictional story is about a false teacher etc using Christian and American ideals to do evil, and this kind of thing can and does happen, but in this game I almost feel the developers are anti-Christian and anti-American. For that reason alone I gave it a lower score and the game play is fairly basic shooter wise nothing really special we haven't seen before outside of amazing graphics. Expand
  9. Jul 17, 2014
    BioShock Infinite was a beautiful game with great story telling and the end blew me away I had sit there thinking about it for about an hour until I finally gave up and googled it.this is a must buy it is probably my 3rd favourite game of all time.the gameplay was fun and fluid,this has really brought back what fps have become with things like cod and medal of honour ruining my love of them anyway haters gonna hate but don't listen to them go and buy this game right now I mean it! Expand
  10. Jul 12, 2014
    This game is better than i thought. Although i thought it was way over rated at first i was wrong. Very very wrong in so many ways. Although i will still say that the gameplay isnt the greatest.
  11. Jul 8, 2014
    This is one of the most truly brilliant games I have ever played its one of those games that cements video gaming's status as an art form and the backgrounds are so insanely complex and detailed.Oh and 1 more thing:Would you kindly go out and buy this game.
  12. Jul 7, 2014
    Had to make an account just to write a review for this game. This is easily one of the best games I have played in the past 10 years. The world, art style, gameplay, voice acting, graphics, and mechanics are incredible and absolutely keep you hooked. The crown jewel of the game is really the story though. Its as good if not better than some of the top HBO shows, movies, etc.. Everything about it is perfection and I would not change a single thing. If you have not played this game it is a MUST. Expand
  13. Jul 7, 2014
    Overrated pile of rubbish. Graphics: Bloom, disorienting lightning and smoke/fog covering up low quality textures and poor polymer structuring. Sound: Mediocre but overly polished voiceacting, giving it a glasshouse feeling since stuff like brittish accents are thrown into seemingly at random. Gameplay: Halo's regenerative shield is given to you on a silver platter (LIterally) to fend off a moronic AI, taking "cover" in plain sight while only managing to pull off zergrush tactics as your weapons have literally no impact on anything at certain difficulties leaving the game to be extremely easy or annoyingly tedious

Story: Extremely linear, predictable most of the times and carefully placed camera angles, showing off Elizabeth's breasts more than 75% of the time in cutscenes makes this game give a craving that a lot is to be desired.

I'm gonna presume that everyone who is mindlessly throwing this mediocre hype console port garbage more than a 7 has not passed puberty and/or has never before played a good game in their entire life, cough half life 2 cough. Buy it at a sale and get in with small expectations.
  14. Jul 4, 2014
    You find yourself in a tea partier's wet dream: a future that looks like the past. It's a whitewashed world with sinister undertones that you can't quite pin down until...Even the games menu pulls you into this world, to which you'll want to repeatedly return.

Just enough opportunity for exploration without making the levels too open. Great weapons and you'll enjoy the vigor.

The
    only complaint I can muster is a too convoluted story for the last third that feels mostly like the developers just wanted to extend the game.

But it's that atmosphere that wins it.
  15. Jul 3, 2014
    just fantastic, the best game i have played in a long time.
    some people's graphics have a couple of issues on the PC that can be fixed but once they are done its just great. the gameplay is easy to get lost in, the story has some truly remarkable moments that will have your mind doing somersaults. its totally different to the first two bioshock games, but also so close that you feel right
    at home. play through and you will see just how close it gets. many little nuances that keep you interested in the background and scenery.
    it manages to be both familiar and completely new, i have honestly never played anything quite so good. there are great games and then there are exceptional games, this definitely falls into the latter. if you are a fan of the first bioshock games then this is a game that you will love intensely.
    if you are new to the series i could see how it could seem a bit bewildering. there is so much intensity to the story, styling and background it could be overwhelming. all i could suggest is to play the others too and you will fall in love with the series.
    10 is not high enough praise from me.
  16. Jun 30, 2014
    Best game i ever played! totally recommended. The story is great, specially the ending (really unexpected, and makes you want to play it again), the characters are great, many powers you can use, good graphics, fun to play, many weapons and Upgrades.
    You should also buy the DLC season pass, which contains two "story modes" about previous bioshock stories, and Clash in the clouds, a mode
    of pure combat which also allows you to unlock more things about the story and the world.
    Highly recommended
  17. Jun 28, 2014
    The best game i've ever played. 100% sure. The best about Bioshock series is the fact that the games have no cutscenes and that makes the experience totally real. The scenary and the graphics are so beautiful you will feel the need to enjoy every second, notice every detail, explore every place. The story is beautiful, the characters captivating and the ending couldn't be more perfect. The gameplay is awesome, allows you to create strategies on your battles and fight in a lot of ways possible. Bioshock Infinite is not to be played, is to be lived. This game is an art piece, it's perfect. Expand
  18. Jun 27, 2014
    One of the greatest games I have played in a long while. I am not traditionally a FPS gamer but was sucked in by the very excellent storyline. I've played it through too many times now and always find something new. The graphics are stunning and is well thought out in terms of game play. Really, who can pass up the chance to play a game set in a steampunk city in the sky (Laputa anyone?). So much fun. So many hotdogs in drawers. I have recommended this game to all my game loving friends. Even if you don't like shooter games you'll like this as the story and visuals are the most compelling element. Just play this game already. Expand
  19. Jun 25, 2014
    The 4 rating is to rank it as a game slightly worse than average. It's a mediocre game with a beautiful shine. Its plot and ideas show promise but never work in action, underdeveloped, and are never given detail or depth. The companion was not insufferable, but lacked detail and development, and never felt vital (despite her powers and role in the story). As does the whole world and story. The game tries to present a "morally gray" situation and problem by presenting two completely black-scale, unbelievable, caricature sides. It's infuriating to see the serious, historical oppression of so many people, or backlash and revolutions - and the problematic imperialism and nationalism of the time Infinite takes place in - represented in such a crazed and stupid way. People do not think or act this way.

Even Andrew Ryan, as extreme and evil the story made him at parts, had an understandable perspective and view. You could see his reasons and his attitude, you could see that maybe he lost control. He showed regret. And the rebels against him were sympathetic because of their situation, just manipulated by a con artist.

As for gameplay: the save system is terrible, unless only one player is playing at a time and they speed through the maps. Exploring is almost gone in this game. Combat is just a large spamming of same-y enemies, and the mechanics highly encourage and partly force you to use the same weapons and tonics the entire game. There's no strategy available in this game, you just hack'n'slash through the swarm until it's over. And it's not ENTERTAINING, it'd be fine if it was, but it's just monotonous and tedious. It took out the smart and cool aspects of BioShock, but failed to meet a new standard of chaotic, crazy fun, just blazing away on the targets.

The game's setting does not meet it's mechanics well either, since they ARE a skeleton of the first game's. The developers failed to integrate Elizabeth's crazy-cool universe-bending powers into the mechanics in a more integrated, interesting, and less gimmicky way, which kills me. And they never explain tonics or the Handymen, or make them make sense in Infinite. The only reason they're there is because BioShock had it. Whereas in BioShock, there was a REASON there were plasmids and Big Daddies, it was completely fitting to its game and story.

This is why the game gets a 4, not a 5 or a 6. It was a chore to play, unrewarding, and the story didn't do enough to compensate. While it's ideas are cool and ambitious, it's all on the surface. I know BioShock's world like I know myself, I know almost nothing about Infinite's. They didn't ever flesh it out in the same way.

Infinite was advertised as a game about a city on the edge of falling on destruction, but living and with a gilded gloss. It acts as dead, broken, and crazy as Rapture. While somehow forgetting the more human aspect Rapture's tragedy had.
  20. Jun 23, 2014
    I don't have words to explain this game, It's amazing.
    Any game will be better than the first Bioshock, but this, this game, this epic game is at the same level!
  21. Jun 16, 2014
    The game-play is extremely bland and unsatisfying. However, the story-line can be interesting at times. The graphics are spectacular, but round edges and water could be better. Most of the time, I am completely lost as to why I am being attacked, and who is attacking me. The actual game-play is terrible, a very basic shooter with only 2 or 3 usable guns.
  22. Jun 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock infinite is a new concept, a new theme, a new story, a new city. Not only that, the city of Colombia is rich, meaning that it is alive with it's NPCs. Colombia was an amazing place to explore, and know the story and background of it. You play as Booker Dewitt, a gambler who is in debt, on getting the mysterious girl from the flying city. That girl is Elizabeth, and she is a unique character in videogame history. She has a personality, more than "I HAVE BOOBS AND I AM A GIRL" She interacts with the player; by throwing helpful things to you; ammo, weapons and first aid kits. And also the story is amazing and clever. also *spoilers* it has a shocking turn of events, and explains the hole concept of the game.

So far this game is Game of the Year 2013, such an amazing product from Ken Levine (he never disappoints)
    9.5/10
  23. Jun 13, 2014
    To put it simply Bioshock Infinite is the best game I have ever played. Stunning visuals, a phenomenal setting, enjoyable gunplay and the best story I've ever had the pleasure to play through.
  24. Jun 13, 2014
    Everything in this game have so much thought behind it. Its like a big web of intertwining relationships where nothing is left out to coincidence. The setting and atmosphere of Columbia is phenomenal, the story is soul shattering and the small parts of the game is of more much signifigance than first anticipated. The art and aestethics of the game are beautiful. Its an FPS combat game with a small tweak. And a very well one that is! The feedback makes a very lovely shooting experience. It seems that most people are dissatisfied with the over all combat gameplay and argue that the mechanics are weak. I strongly dissagree and think they consider what they believe is a good FPS combat game and why. Expand
  25. Jun 13, 2014
    I'm another one not getting the hype. Sure, the graphics look good (even though that impression is created more through the use of trickery than actually beautiful textures but that's fine with me) and the setting is very interesting, but you never get to explore any of it. You move through a linear series of shooting scenes against poor AI using a clumsy feeling protagonist. The game is most interesting when you aren't shooting at things and that's a problem for a shooter. The story promises real depth but then abandons all that for shooting and drama, it never reaches real depth.

If you're a fan of shooters, the action here will likely bore you and feel too easy, if you're a fan of sandbox environments and fascinating settings, you'll be frustrated by how you're not allowed to actually explore anything yourself and if you're a fan of adventure game story-telling, all the useless shooting will probably ruin the experience for you.
  26. Jun 11, 2014
    I can't find anything to complain about in this game besides the moneyhatting DLCs. The game is one of the best looking I've ever seen, it lasts about 10 hours in the main campaign. It is a riveting story which makes you feel like the characters are real people. Definitely worth the cost.
  27. Jun 8, 2014
    the graphics are really poor, the gameplay of the past century and uninteresting story.
    The first and the second was really pleasant (the second less than the first)
    but then I took no pleasure and I had to force myself to finish this game.
  28. Jun 8, 2014
    I can honestly say that this is my favorite game of all time. I can't even explain how good everything is about this, just play it. Worth the time and money, I swear.
    I will say that it does help to have played the original Bioshock first, it just makes the little things better, but it isn't necessary (although I would strongly suggest it!)
  29. Jun 7, 2014
    This game is so awesome. The graphics are amazing, but one thing makes this game so good, that is the story. The story is kinda complicated and you'll have some hours just thinking on that. Although the gameplay is not that much, It's an FPS, with some basic weapons and upgrades, you have some special abilities, magic kind of stuff, which adds much to the game. And the graphics excellent, which I mentioned before. Sometimes I just looked around how cool is this. It's a good game, it needs a try. But don't be disappointed, if you wanted some new things in the gameplay. It's a really good story-oriented game, that's it. Expand
  30. Jun 6, 2014
    with Elizabeth, you can travel fantastic world!
    the fight system was little bit not good, (you can only use few gun)
    but beautiful story and character are make you feel nice
  31. Jun 6, 2014
    Unforgettable game with awesome gameplay and breathtaking story. Its atmosphere, story and gameplay mixed together simply make an perfect game.

+ The greatest game story i have ever knew
    + Incredible atmosphere
    + Good gameplay and combat
    + Good voice acting and sound effects
    + Beautiful graphics

The most unforgettable game experience EVER!
  32. Jun 5, 2014
    gameplay storyline characters graphics bit to bit adrenaline pumping and exciting a great relief from the fps games. gotta be the game of year 2014. awaiting eagerly for the next edition
  33. Jun 4, 2014
    Bioshock Infinite is good game which offers a interesting complex story explaining the multiple universes concept which presents theories about time travel and such, but fails with repetitive gameplay mechanics. The graphics and the atmosphere is unique and appealing but the game play mechanics gets a bit bored because the game is quite long.

I do not find the storytelling like a
    masterpiece like others but I still think they made the story interesting for most, but I am not fond of unrealistic theories that are a bit complex for some, so that might be a reason why I do not consider this to be a masterpiece in terms of story telling.

The story telling of this game is dependent of you having to collect all audio files and also be aware of small details that could explain parts of the story. So it is a good game but it is not a great game or a masterpiece, and absolutely not a game of the decade like most biased Bioshock-fans claim. I still recommend the game because it might be a very interesting and complex story for some but I am sure the repetitive game play can still be boring at times.
  34. May 30, 2014
    As someone who was a big fan of the first two Bioshock games, this game did not let me down. The environment, which in a Bioshock game is also pretty much a character, was stunningly portrayed: the graphics, the ambient sound, the random conversations and music... I did generally find the supporting characters to be less interesting than in previous games, but this was more than made up for by the splendid duo of main characters. The story in which you find yourself is worthy of the Bioshock mantle, though far more bizarre and cryptic than previous titles. Gameplay-wise, it feels familiar enough while still introducing some awesome new features: you still fight your enemies with a combination of powers and weapons, but there are new options for utilizing the environment to your advantage (not to give any spoilers). Definitely a good choice for anyone who likes FPS games, but especially for gamers who love compelling stories. Expand
  35. May 28, 2014
    This game in my opinion is the best game of the best franchise of the generation. So just go buy it now it is well worth it. The story is amazing and complex but in a good way I don't know of any other games that touch on such deep and interesting theory and morals and then there is the ending which I won't go into because it is the best twist of any game story I know of it was worth playing it just for the ending but there is also so much more. Next up are the characters and the world. All of the main characters are amazingly deep and the best of these being Booker and Elizabeth both of which are amazingly voiced. Elizabeth in particular is astounding just the sheer effort and time put it her is amazing and all of this makes her one of the best and most likable characters in gaming. Last but by no means least is the environments and world as a whole it is simply stunning, the concepts and the way it is presented in its unique graphical style just blend together to create one of the most beautiful alive world's of any video game. All of this is backed up by solid game play that is fun fast and unique thanks to the addition of vigors, sky lines and tears. I can't recommend this game enough as it is one of my favourite games I have ever played just go out and play it you won't regret it and it will change the way you look at video games forever. Expand
  36. May 27, 2014
    One of the best games I've played in my life. Bioshock Infinite may be confusing (not for me) sometimes, but it story is perfect. Graphics? Nearly perfects. Gameplay? That's what I call FPS. The details, every character is unique, especially Elizabeth. Super interactive and a beautiful character, she's what gave life to the game.
    I love Bioshock Infinite, the symbol of the generation.
  37. May 24, 2014
    Last Played: May 2014
    PROS: + Some interesting story elements + Power combos feel rewarding + Not enough money to buy all upgrades mean prioritizing
    CONS: - Frequent framerate issues on high end PC - Occasional gamebreaking tiling issues (why is this still not fixed?) - Not all story elements resolved to satisfaction

REVIEW: I'll be straight up in saying that shooters aren't my
    favorite genre, but all the hype about how good the story was intrigued me and I bought this game for what I heard was an engaging storyline with memorable protagonists. It turns out that this is partially true, in that one character (Elizabeth) is memorable, as is the gimmick of a floating city and dimension-hopping. However, the rest of the story is blah, and all ends aren't satisfactorily resolved by the ending cinimatics. Is this a relatively good story for a shooter? Absolutely. Would the story stand on it's own as a book or even a movie? Never.

But back to what I liked about the game: the power system works pretty well, in fact it is probably the best thing about this game (a megaman-like dependence on exploiting enemy weaknesses becomes important in late game or high difficulties), and the combos feel powerful, as do purchase-able upgrades. Which speaks to another positive: you cannot afford to buy all the upgrades. This means finding out what your play style is and sticking to it, which is a glimmer of integrity from the increasingly erratic 2K Games.

What sucks? Well, for starters there are FREQUENT framerate issues on a high-end PC, as well as game-breaking occasions where enemies, floors, walls, etc. are unsee-able because their skins don't show up. Is the air shooting you? It will go away with a restart, but if the autosave was in an inconvenient spot, you still have to play it over, aside from the obvious downside of completely breaking your momentum. I also have gripes about the story. The first 80% of the game explains nothing-which is fine, if you are playing a mystery game. Why doesn't this work here? Because the objectives you spent all that time pursuing no longer exist when you hop a reality. You end up with a Lord-of-the-Rings style question at the end: why didn't we just fly to Mt Doom (or the final Bioshock bad-guy fight, as the case may be) and skip the big nothing in the middle? Furthermore, only one characters motives are explained (Booker's, don't expect ever to find out what is going on with the twins) and many loose ends remain.

SUMMARY: Was this game good? Well, the last 20% had satisfying gameplay and there were moments of greatness... I'd say it is worth playing if you can get it on sale for $15 or less. Don't expect story greatness, or even bug-free gaming, though.
  38. May 24, 2014
    This game is awesome.
    Columbia is so colorful,charming.(I loved the railsliding part the most.)
    The story is great,and i enjoyed the combat as I rarely play FPS games.
    I think the graphics were good,even on very low setting it gave me a feeling.(not counting the cut animations)
  39. May 21, 2014
    I still have no idea why this games scores so high with the critics. The environment is great, but the plot has many holes, the story moves at a snail's pace, and the gameplay is pretty average. Feels like a step back from the first two.
  40. May 20, 2014
    I am not someone who writes reviews after only playing a hour and then trashes or praises a game. After playing bioshock infinite all the way through and having played the first two games all the way through, I have to say while this game is good it's not as great as many critics make it to be. Is the game pretty? Yes. It makes good use of high end hardware for those who have powerful systems. For a world that looks so gorgeous and seems so open, it's very on the rail, as they say. Speaking of being on the rail, there's no real choices in the game. The first two games had choices and consequence for those choices. You had to choose whether to save the little Sisters and only take enough Adam (in game energy) or harvest them and end their existence, but getting more precious Adam in return. You also had choices whether to spare or kill certain characters (some of which were real scum bags). Every choice had a consequence and depending on your choices your story may have a different ending. I used to wrestle with the choices made as I wanted a certain ending but also because I thought about what kind of protagonist I wanted to be. This game? Nothing. Not only are there little choice in this game but even if you make a choice it makes no difference because there's no consequence. You can kill anyone and it doesn't matter. Is that the message we send in games and entertainment? That choices have no consequence? It's also ironic as one of the games themes is redemption for the main protagonist. At it's core, this game is a solid shooter but the AI is dumb on Normal difficulty. If I got killed it was due to sheer numbers or an unbalanced damage system. Vigors for the most part were useless except Possession, Devils Kiss and Shock jockey. I ended up just getting a sniper rifle and sniping most enemies from a distance with headshots. So like playing Call of Duty in a prettier world. Not to give anything away, but the ending willing probably piss most people off and have you saying WTF. I walked away scratching my head, but after reading an explanation online it made a little more sense. The thing that pissed me off most was again no choice even when you finally face the games nemesis, Comstock. No boss fight leading up to the confrontation and no final boss fight, just an onslaught of enemies who come at you in waves. Just seemed lazily done at the end and was a big letdown for me, personally. Especially for a game series that in the past has stood out in the FPS genre as always having a strong story and solid single player campaign. I wanted to keep playing just to see what happened, but unlock the second game where I took the punishment of cheap kills due to unbalanced play as it had a great story, this one began to feel like a chore. Bottom line? This game is pretty and has lots of polish, but underneath the veneer is a hollow experience that left me wanting more. Play the original game and maybe check out the second as it still was pretty good. Wait until this goes on a Steam sale if you still haven't played this yet. Expand
  41. May 20, 2014
    New world to explore, beautiful world, but while the story and plot are better then what we experienced in Bioshock 2, its not even close to the original game and has many obvious flaws, but for some reason most people don't notice those flaws.
    But the real problem is the gameplay that doesn't makes sense with the story and the plot and is a huge downgrade from the previous games.
    Extremely linear, brainless, simple, it has backtracking, many enemies (especially bosses) are there just for the sake of it and have nothing to do with the story and weren't designed well at all, Vigors (the games' alternative for Plasmids) also make no sense in this world and half of them are mostly pointless, some weapons feel weak and you can only hold two of them (no it doesn't make shooting more tactical), and its too easy. Expand
  42. May 11, 2014
    BioShock Infinite is undoubtedly a fun game. It's setting allows for incredible gunfights that almost never get boring. It's compelling story keeps it from being another generic shooter. I's art style is incredible, making the already good game even better.
    But it does have flaws.
    The game only provides around 10 hours of fun. There seems to be choice, but in reality all your choices are
    insignificant. While this isn't a big problem for your first play through, it removes all replay value. The game completely abandoned the city of Rapture, Big Daddies, and the dark atmosphere of the other games, which made it feel less like a BioShock game than it should have. You can only hold two weapons at a time, which is a problem for some people. (Not for me; I felt like it added to the experience, but what do I know?) Lastly, there's the issue of the ending. I won't spoil it, but let me say it was probably the deepest ending to a game in human history. IF you could understand it. Missing even single lines of speech can make the ending too confusing to understand. Once you do understand it though, prepare to have your mind blown.
    Now I know it seems like I'm hating on this game, but I really already described all of it's flaws. It's definitely worth your $20.
  43. May 11, 2014
    This is the first game of the series I have played, and afterwards I feel ashamed I have not played any of them before.
    The game is purely beautiful; the amount of little snippets put into each scene and every little detail is absolutely superb, being supported by its incredible graphics that really show off the creativity of the developers. Not one location seemed insignificant – each
    had its own unique atmosphere – which could not have been improved upon.
    The story is one of the most complex stories I have ever experienced in a game – probably not helping that I had not played either of the previous games – but the sheer scale of the story is its strongest point. There are so many twists and turns throughout the game, all of which still link together and make sense, which often makes you become awe-dropped. A story so complex as this certainly lets me know that the developers truly loved creating it, as its depth and delivery holds up persistently in the game. However, it is a difficult story to figure out – I had to do some external research after completing the game in order to understand it fully – but it is a puzzle I enjoyed learning about.
    Its gameplay becomes marginally repetitive, but with the customization through gear, infusions, vigors and the broad range of weaponry, it holds up very well to ensure players use different tactics for each encounter. Additionally, the animations occasionally clash with the surroundings, but thankfully that is only a rare fault.
    Concluding, ‘Bioshock Infinite’ is a masterpiece of fantasy, a game that truly delivers in story and graphics, making the game an infinite classic.
  44. May 11, 2014
    Bioshock Infinite totally met my expectations. You start a game as a not so well prospering detective Booker Dewitt with a simple task to bring kidnapped girl back to home from flying(?) city. The more you play the less you really know what the hell is really happening in this idyll in the sky. Irrational Games did extreme job so you can fall in love with two main characters. And everything ends with the jaw-dropping and mind-blowing ending. The only negative I can find is kind of simple enemy AI with for ex. limited area they can chase you, but this game is not much about fighting. Story, beautifully crafted graphics and an enormous focus on details around the Bioshock Infinite mystery will give you a solid campaign experience you will not forget for a long time. Expand
  45. May 2, 2014
    Bioshock Infinite is a decent game which suffers from pacing and gameplay issues. The story is decent enough, but a let down compared to the first game, and not nearly as clever in its commentary about the world or video games. The best part of the game is your sidekick, Elizabeth, who is a sidekick done right and uses a very clever mechanic to make herself useful and meaningful, but the game itself failed to make itself dynamic enough for her to be used to her full potential.

The story of the original Bioshock is what really made the game special. Unfortunately, this game's story is not up to the level of the first game's story; you don't feel the same drive onward, and, unfortunately, because of the first game's twist, it is more obvious that there is going to be a twist in this one, which somewhat bothered me as I saw the twist coming from the very start of the game.
    Unlike in the previous games, in Bioshock Infinite, your character, Booker DeWitt, has both a name and a personality. Booker speaks up throughout the game, talking to the various NPCs, and especially to his sidekick, Elizabeth.
    The best and worst part of the game is the various transitions between realities; not only do you draw things between worlds, but you actually travel between worlds at various points in the game, to realities where things played out differently, including (eventually) a reality wherein Booker died after coming to the city.
    The problem, ultimately, is that the game never really delivers on the story; it is alright, but it isn't spectacular, and the world-skipping, while a neat idea, never really ends up having the punch that it should, as well as making it so that what we did earlier didn't really matter in that particular world (or maybe it did - who knows?). The whole "dead in one world, alive in another" thing is never really properly explored or followed up on, even though it was built up in significance, and the end result is that while it advanced the plot it really failed to make the game awesome.

The ultimate weakness of this game lies in its gameplay. Bioshock Infinite is every bit the sequel to the previous Bioshock games, and this isn't a good thing - the gameplay is very similar to what it was in previous games, and while the enemy variety is a bit better in this game, there's nothing quite as exciting as some of the Big Daddy fights were in the first game. The Handymen are alright replacements for them, and make for reasonable enough fights, and your first fight against the various new types of enemies is neat enough, but as with the previous games, the lack of real bosses hurts the game a bit.
    The normal soldiers who are running around in most of the game are not terribly difficult or interesting enemies to fight, and while some of the battlefields are very interesting and dynamic and make good use of Elizabeth's powers, many of the fights are the opposite - very static things where you just hide behind cover and shoot the enemies, gradually grinding your way through the group without changing what you had summoned into the fight with Elizabeth at all. Elizabeth's powers are really neat, but without a reason to run around during the fight (something some of the special enemies provided at times, especially the handymen, as well as some of the more interesting environmental setups) they often didn't end up very interesting as they just were a piece of whatever I summoned in at the start to help me, rather than something I brought in mid-fight to swing things in my favor.
    The actual weapons in the game were very standard for a FPS, with the usual assortment of weapons, and unfortunately the upgrades system really encouraged you to try and stick to as few weapons as possible so that you could make the most use out of your upgrades - this is one of the major flaws of upgrade systems, in that they actually frequently reduce the variety of gameplay by encouraging you to not use a variety of weapons. Some of the weapons were also vastly better than others, and by the end of the game you pretty much had your pick of which weapon to use most of the time, rather than giving you a scavenging feel.
    The vigors are supposed to help mix things up from the usual FPS point of view, and it is nice to have weird weapons in a game, but ultimately I only ended up using a small number of the vigors - really, the only good ones were the ones which temporarily incapacitated foes, including the one that gave me a free ally for a bit, and as a result I pretty much only used three vigors through most of the game. They also didn't fit into the world at all thematically.
    All in all, the gameplay didn't really match the ambiance the story seemed to be trying to create, and the gameplay was too slow for the game itself - the game would have been better if it had avoided making you run around looking for change all the time.
  46. May 2, 2014
    +Stunning graphics +Damn fine story +A.I Companion is not a burden to you +GEARS! WOOOOO! +1999 mode - Loved it! +Huge amount of Easter Eggs and Secrets -Generic shooting mechanics -Vigors isn't useful than the plasmids from the original bioshock -R.I.P Irrational Games *Ken Levine got fired* -Less Exploring than the original. -Scavenging isn't a priority since you can just but ammo on vendos Expand
  47. Apr 27, 2014
    Thought this game was amazing. Beat it from dusk to dawn. Gameplay was a bit repetitive but going through plots of the story was a blast. There were memorable moments and the voice acting and characters were spot-on.
  48. Apr 27, 2014
    Bioshock Infinite is a visual masterpiece with solid and fun game play. The story and outcome is similar to past Bioshock games, sadly Ken Levine is somewhat of a one-trick pony in that regard. That being said, the game on its own is an experience and can be enjoyed thoroughly without the older games.
  49. Apr 27, 2014
    BioShock Infinite is hands-down the best story-driven singleplayer game ever developed in the video game industry. It is also the only game i've seen so far that really pushes all the way out to display the beauty of the ageing Unreal Engine 3. Perfect combination of an ambient and atmospheric environment. Something that i'd also like to point out is the voice acting! Superb, superb voice acting.

The storyline really very intriguing and tastes really good (slurp..), definitely one that i would remember forever.

A negative point of the game is it's highly controversial approach to the storyline, with much racism and skepticism that is somewhat off-the-charts ( at least to me personally). Plus the confusing & abrupt ending.

Overall, i did enjoyed the game a lot, 9/10. A real must-get.
  50. Apr 24, 2014
    The good, the game has probably the best atmosphere I've ever experienced in a game. Certain parts of the game just ooze ambiance and you can tell that the people at Irrational gave total thought into every single set piece that was placed. The game has probably the best environment I've ever seen in a game and its' pretty much the sole reason the game gets a 6. The atmosphere is top notch and you literally can't help but not be awed by the sight of Columbia. The bad, well it has this great atmosphere in a floating city but for most of the game you're exploring confined spaces. In all 8 hours I played in only a ten second span, did I feel like I was in a floating city. This was when the PC had to traverse a ledge to get to another point in the area. Another problem, the game uses checkpoints to save your game. The game prizes itself on exploration to flesh out the world through audio and visual diaries, such as Bioshock 1 and 2 yet at times I noted myself having thirty minutes between saves due to me exploring. I found myself rushing exploring just because I had to go to work or school. Another problem, there's not much variation in enemies or is there much of a challenge. The most challenging enemy called a, "Handyman," is only encountered around six or seven times and its' the only time you'll ever encounter a challenge. The gameplay is distinctly average, which is a shame. The game shares problem with third person shooters, in that it they telegraph where fighting will occur. The vigors also feel like direct rip offs from Bioshock 1 & 2 yet are harder to aim. The games story is decent, but the foreshadowing is literally jammed down your throat. and not only that but its' confusing as hell towards the end and makes no sense. I paid $7.50 for the game and it took ~8 hours. Overall the game's decent but don't expect the second coming of first person shooters. Expand
  51. Apr 21, 2014
    This is one of the most stunningly beautiful games I have ever played. The entire game is phenomenal in it's own regard. The story is in my opinion, one of the most amazing plots I've ever played in a game, or anything for that matter. The characters become real as you progress further into the game, and you really develop a connection to Booker and Elizabeth. The game play is fun, fast, and difficult. This adventure is tough, and makes it challenging for the average game player. I highly recommend this game, especially when you have a PC that can really stretch it's legs and run this game on Ultra. Even if you can't play with it on Ultra, it's still a beautiful game on low. Thanks for reading my review! Expand
  52. Apr 1, 2014
    German ;) : Seit langem mal wieder ein Shooter, der Storymäßig und Atmospherisch unter die aut geht. Vor allem die Liebe zum Detail, die Lebendigkeit der Welt, welche vom Setting her so unverbraucht wie kaum etwas anderes ist (Eine Fliegende Strahlende Stadt über den Wolken im Jahre 1912, durchdrungen von Prunk, Technik, Korruption, Irrglauben und revolutionären Gedanken und einem Hauch Magie und Paranormalem), macht dieses Spiel zu etwas unvergleichbaren. Lediglich der moderne Ansatz den Spieler zu lange am Leben zu lassen macht Spielspaßtechnisch einem Shooter-Fan der alten Schule hier einen leichten Strich durch die Rechnung .... Trotzdem 11/10 Punkten ;D Expand
  53. Mar 30, 2014
    Another modern AAA story "game". The game itself is very basic and cheap: extremely linear tiny levels, poor AI, very short. Half of the game you just wondering here and there, participating in scripted cutscenes, watching something and so on.

Too bad Bioshock replaced true ingame exploration and adventure by this **** casual "story" crap. I guess 90% of budget went to "story", not much
    left for the game itself. 10$ is a fair price for this game Expand
  54. Mar 30, 2014
    BioShock Infinite spoiler-free review.
    BioShock: Infinite is an amazing game that's incredibly well thought and enjoyable from start to finish.
    Like I started the review for the original BioShock, I'll talk about the world. Irrational Games manages to keep the tradition of making the world a character and make it tell it's own story. Although the world tells it's own story, it has a lot
    more diminished impact, considering that now you are a speaking character (Booker Dewitt) accompanied by a talking character as well (Elizabeth) which distract you from admiring the world and just staring at it at times. The story. This game's shorter than the first BioShock, but much more focused, with better witing (and BioShock's writing wasn't bad at all), much more interesting and relatable. It was filled with emotions that few games achieved last year (The Last of Us, Gone Home). The Graphics aren't as realistic in 2013 as BioShock's were in 2007, but that's because Irrational takes a much more artistic approach and one that pays off. The music in this game is extraordinary, and really make emotional moments 10 times much more meaningful. The sounds are very good as well, no complaints there. The gameplay. Now, everyone thinks that this is a weak part in the game, but it really isn't. Although plasmids (now called vigors) don't make much of a difference in combat, and it doesn't change the first person shooter genre (like BioShock did), it's a satisfying gameplay and it's a lot of fun (although you might want to play it in hard like I did, because normal and easy difficulty don't bring any challenge). AI is great and Elizabeth really changes combat, by helping you with supplies.
    After all BioShock: Infinite is an incredible ride with an ending that will make you want to replay the game from a whole new pespective.
    Average score: 9.7/10
  55. Mar 29, 2014
    Despite the fact that the 2 first Bioshock games were pretty good, they both pale in comparison to this one. The story is much deeper and one of the best ones I've seen in a while and the gameplay is also more interesting and fun with the new ability to open tears and some new powers that are even more awesome than the ones in previous games.

If anyone out there has played the first to
    games, but still played this one yet, then they definitely should. Expand
  56. Mar 29, 2014
    Great idea, great design, great graphics. It is just let down by uninvolving gameplay. Just a series of go here and press F, then go here and press F. Oh what it might have been...
  57. Mar 28, 2014
    From the very first moment I found this game highly overrated by reviewers.
    The game itself is a bit repetitive, I found myself wanting juts to finish rather than enjoying the game.
  58. Mar 27, 2014
    With far less emphasis on level design compared to bioshock1, bioshock infinite is all about the story and the characters gameplay is watered down with the choice of carrying only two weapons like most of those generic mediocre military shooters on the market. But the vigors/plasmids, the beautiful city of Colombia on the unreal 3 engine and Elizabeth is what makes infinite worth playing.
  59. Mar 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a fan of story in games, I found myself sitting at the end of the credits of Bioshock: Infinite with many questions swirling around in my head. Some about the game, some about the impact, but one that has stuck with me since: "Why does everyone think this game is a 10/10?"

Usually, with sequels, developers try to innovate and create unique experiences in a similar universe of a game. They try their hardest to replicate the success of the earlier installments, and to try and make a title worthy of the series' name.

Was Bioshock: Infinite innovative and unique? No.
    Did Irrational Games try their hardest to create this game? Not at all.

E3 2011: 15 minutes of gameplay is released. It shows creative features with environment-reactive NPC's and large landscapes with dense setpieces. Elizabeth is also shown to react promptly to the drastic actions you take. You feel immersed in this world. It is beautiful, yet dangerous.
    Did any of this make it into the final product? Nope.
    The NPC's are lifeless and absent for most of the game. The graphics may be wonderful but that feeling of immersion quickly wears off the second you push that rotating blade into a cop's head for grabbing your wrist. And Elizabeth? She'll come later.

Gameplay: Big question here: Why was this game a First Person Shooter? For a game trying to tell a story about conflicting ideals and the possibilities of alternate universes, why did shooting guards and ghosts in linear gauntlet sequences similar to Call of Duty seem to be the best choice? The "continuation" of the Bioshock name rears its ugly head here, as I feel Irrational was forced to make this decision due to keeping the similarity going. It didn't help, much similar to the gameplay changes from System Shock 2 to Bioshock. The difficulty system in the game is laughable, going up in difficulty means making enemies bigger bullet sponges, and that is it. While I understand the hype around other parts of the game, I believe 10/10 games to be nearly flawless. And the gameplay of this game is anything but, with its dull repetitive shooting galleries that take up most of the game, and with the unforgivable removal of key features that made this game unique to play. Development Hell kicked this poor game down.

Graphics: This is the only part I can see the love for. The art style really makes the game seem like it was in development for six years. It's refined and has its own quirks. Yet your immersion in this beautiful world lasts for all of ten minutes.

Story: Oh lord. While many might bag me down for saying I just didn't "understand," you're right. I don't understand. I don't understand the praise for this uninspired, bloated story with one of the most jumbled endings of any game I've seen in all of my life. The game starts with an overdone bashing of old American values, and it sure does bash you with it constantly and barrages you with "BLACK IS BAD" propaganda. It's all "THIS GOOD, THIS BAD" for hours and hours, and the game does nothing with it as you blast the white man down. For a game that is praised for pushing the story-telling medium forward, the story lacks any sort of nuance. Then, the time travel plot kicks in. Infinite realities and such. At the end of the game, you (Booker) are drowned as you eventually become Comstock, the villain, and must be killed to prevent Columbia from ever being made. At this point, multiple universes have been traversed, and it is implied that this certain Booker's (you) death will result in all Booker's dying in every universe. However, this contradicts what the infinite realities theory really is: infinite. Killing one man in one universe does nothing for the again, infinite realities that are existing. The producers tried to put as many confusing elements of quantum mechanics into their game, but failed to understand any of them. I have full faith that the story was being made up as it went along near the end. I could go on for hours on how this story is nothing short of horrid, but that's already been done by various others. Instead, I'll end it with Elizabeth and Booker.
    Booker is your hero, and a very dumb one at that. Completely ignoring all signs for him to not do what he does, he does it anyway. A hero that pushes onward no matter what is heroic, a hero that slays hundreds for no reason to pay off a debt is disgusting.
    Elizabeth is your main objective: you save her from her tower guarded by a beast that serves as her guardian. She is spunky, lovable, and funny. She should not be any of these things. Being trapped in that tower means you are not a Disney princess, you are emotionally detached and volatile. Of course, Irrational can't do this, as spunky female characters are all the rage right now.

Sometimes I worry about the industry, how these games are praised as the next comings of christ.

The game is praised for being intelligent and thought-provoking, but does not understand how a coherent story or actual characters should function.
  60. Mar 23, 2014
    Negatives:
    - Too few guns
    - Predictable ending
    - Re-Used story
    Basically, it is an ok game although I find Bioshock 2 and 1 to be way better.
  61. Vel
    Mar 22, 2014
    First, let me say I was a big fan of the first bioshock, and somewhat a fan of the 2nd. This one fell short of what it could be. I'll just list it as a set of pro's and con's, but please, PLEASE don't believe all the hype about this game.
    Pro's:
    -Graphics are pretty good, nothing ground breaking, but up to competing with what's out there.
    -The story was somewhat clever, kind of reminded
    me of dishonored.
    -The gameplay mechanics were very similar to bioshock 1 and 2, which made it easy to get in to

Cons:
    -The game was relatively short, with almost 0 replayability. While the game gives you some decisions, none of them feel like they mean anything at all.
    -The gameplay becomes VERY repetitive as the game continues. Move to the next area, shoot all the bad guys. Move to the next area, shoot all the bad guys. By the last half of the game, it was more a desire to finish than a desire to play that got me through it.
    -The story did not really flow. While the main plot was interesting, the sideplots and people you meet just felt like filler to point you to the next area full of bad guys.

Overall, if you can get it for under $10, it's a pretty good game, but trust me, once you beat it, you will never pick it up again.
  62. Mar 20, 2014
    As a regular game player I like to think I'm in tune with other game players. But this game has proved that wrong.

I really do not get how such a mediocre linear boring game gets such a high mark from other reviews. I tried to like the game, honestly I did . I wanted to like it. It is a beautiful game which is why it got some points. But it is the same thing over and over again.
    Run a bit enter an arena fight bad guys. Run some more into another arena fight more bad guys. No skill in avoiding them or getting around them. Boring boring boring. Has it really come to this when a game like this gets top marks. Is everyone blinded.

I really enjoyed the first BioShock. Plenty of options to figure out different ways to get the bad guys. The real need to conserve your precious ammo and health. All that I enjoyed of the first game seemingly stripped away.

Sorry but I really do not get the hype of this game.
  63. Mar 17, 2014
    The game was fun and all, but I don't get why people are so "touched" by it. I get that it's a triple AAA game but seriously, why? Anyway, the hook is pretty cool. Helped me a lot during the last boss battle. The graphics are nice and you get to have a pretty companion who helps you pick up items when you need them. I can't really remember the rest snce it's been a few months since I've finished the game but I did like it. Expand
  64. Mar 16, 2014
    Good game, good story line and good graphics though i don't kinda like the way it looks.. they just need to improve the gameplay a little bit and make it less repetitive, coz repetitive will bring you to boredom..
  65. Mar 16, 2014
    This is one great experiences, and surely one of the best of last-gen. BioShock Infinite has a unique artistic style and a highly detailed world to go along with a good story. There are parts where it feels like there's just too much combat, but the fact that the combat is fun, and the story is good, you just want to keep pushing through to see what happens next. Although it's not as great as the original, it's still a game that deserves to be played. Expand
  66. Mar 13, 2014
    Is this game as good as what people say it is? Yes of course. The game oozes both theme, style and beauty paired with a suspenseful story with a juicy ending. Gameplay is fun, though not everyone's cup of tea, it is still versatile and fun. Though the story does lack a rather slow sluggish start, when it picks up pace, you will fall in love with this game. A must play.
  67. Mar 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock Infinite is barely a game designed for the entertainment of 'gamers'. It is rather a convoluted and unrelentingly bleak exercise in narrative by Ken Levine. When we get to the 'end' it is NOT The Sound of Music. Instead we have a narrative in which every major 'character' is soul-less and evil, living in a chaotic and meaningless world, where the (anti) hero (YOU) is drowned in the final scene by a daughter he sold, after he enslaved her in a tower....in another manifestation.........made possible by the ridiculous....pseudo science....of an entirely fictional take on 'Quantum Physics'. Along the way to its HORRIBLE conclusion the game revels in an unrelenting atmosphere of homicidal psychosis. The player navigates a long sequence of linear levels depopulating the city of Columbia of its men folk without any real rhyme or reason. Hand in hand with the daughter you abandoned, and then imprisoned (and who is going to drown you) you roam about gathering resources and unlocking achievements on a long journey to nowhere. It is not all terrible. The art direction of the game is great, and the lighting and bloom effects are well done. Vigours are fun, and there is pleasure to be had holding the v key down so that you can decapitate half the city with your skyhook. That is the only 'role playing' allowed here however. This game is all about the story. It is ONLY about the story. The story is that you are a moral midget psychopath, who will be drowned by your own daughter so that 'none of this ever happened'. If that is a 10/10 game experience for you by all means go for it. Have yet to delve fully into the DLC but 'Clash in the Clouds' feels way better than the core game since it spares us the dismal narrative. Despite my negative review this is a game to buy and play, because it is definitely INTERESTING. I hope Ken Levine can discover a sense of humor in the future, and put more effort into level design, shooting mechanics and role playing elements. Good games offer the illusions of choices, levity and reasons to replay them. This game offers no choices, no light-heartedness and very little reason to replay it.

Orctowngrot.
  68. Mar 10, 2014
    Frankly I don't know why this game has received such high marks. The story is convoluted, the ending is ridiculous and the entire theme of the game makes no sense. The graphics are very good and it's fun to ride the skylines, but other than that, this was a boring game and I couldn't wait to get finished with it. The demo is a highlight of one of the most interesting parts, but other than that, I would recommend purchasing this game for as little money as possible. Expand
  69. Mar 8, 2014
    A remarkable story that puts the Bioshock franchise in a place where anything can happen next and everything from the series were placed together.

Deep and engaging characters, astonishing visuals and a truly rich backstory fulfilled with a mixture of history and fantasy, covering aspects of our society like the struggle of social classes or religion and state exploit, make one of the
    best games of all time.

Bugs at the beginning, some boring mechanics, unjustified excessive violence, bad design/budget decisions, the well known millions of chain quests covering the same places over and over, and mostly the unbelievable absence of a decent save system almost ruin the game or make it average, but the good points are just awesome and hold Bioshock Infinite like an awesome, over the top game.

It's a good mix of action and story - entertainment and art excellence.
    (some technical mess, but it's all right)

____________________________________________

PS For those who needs the subtitle help in a foreign language:

You may get lost at the end of the story, because it's deep and explained too fast. Play it again or simply search for the story explained via web to help you understand it if needed.
  70. Mar 7, 2014
    the reason why alot of people are saying the graphics suck is because they don't know what art style the developers were going for, the story is amazing and the gameplay is fun, definetley worth picking up
  71. Mar 4, 2014
    Like mentioned by other graphics are stunning. I spent ages searching around the little bits of the linear path just to make sure I have not missed anything. Thought the story was good as well and your AI buddy does not get in the way like other games and occasionally likes to throw money and guns at you, which is always a bonus! I am looking forward to getting round to buying and giving the dlc a play through. Expand
  72. Mar 2, 2014
    I'm quite disapointed. I've heard a lot about this game, " best fps ever", " best game 2013" ect... so, i watched a "Let's Play" of Bioshock, i bought Bioshock 2 so i coud play Bioshock Infinite. 50 bucks wasted... The story was interested, i really liked the twist ending, i didn't see it coming BUT it lasted 8 hours... I know, I'm a quick gamer, i "died" only twice, but still! HOW can this game be rated so highly if after 8 hours, it's finished?! And you cannot replay it again and again for the other endings like the other Bioshocks... The story is just the same... I know a lot of games WAY beter than this. You want a good story, non linear, quite long? Metro 2033. You want great graphics? Battlefield.
    This game doesn't even have Multiplayer... At first, i really tought that the story was interactive ( espacially with the bird / cage pin, the bird woud be freedom, it's not decorated yet it's the best and the cage seem the best, you love it most but your inprisonned)....
    I do agree that there is a problem with collision zones, they're poorly made....
    I did like it, the story was interesting, i really liked the originality with Elizabeth and i really loved the Twist Ending. But it's not Worth its Hype...
    Quite a disapointment...
  73. Feb 25, 2014
    i mean you can not say that is was a bad game anyway this was the best best game i have ever played wonderful story awesome ending and you are just bioshocked when it ends!
  74. Feb 24, 2014
    /// sorry for bad english/// bioshock infinite best game in which I played an incredible story introducing the head, great graphics(not for innovation , a wonderful atmosphere and beauty) , the combat system was estimated at low levels of complexity recommend to take the 1999 mode , this game is so good that I played 90 hours approximately 5 playthroughs ,you won't believe I just enjoy beautiful locations ,and plot ,but really ,this is the best game at the time of 2013. 10 out of 10 masterpiece Expand
  75. Feb 22, 2014
    I consider myself a hardcore gamer. I do not like games that aren't **** brilliant. This game is so good I don't even know where to begin. I played it on one of the lowest graphics available, it still had one of the best graphics I have ever seen. The story is almost as good as the story in Oblivion, Ocarina of time, Suidoken etc. People that say that the story in this game is bad are RETARDED. I'm not even trying to be funny. They much REALLY have a low IQ. This story is so **** complex and amazing that I am now(2 hours after completing the game) still in a **** chock of wonder. The story is, although, very complex. I had to go online for explaination because so much of the story was thrown at you in the last 15 minutes of the game. That, and the "lack of story" throughout the mid-part of the game ares two of the reasons im giving it a 9. Another thing that is mindblowing are all the small details of the story. The story is so incredibly well-written that I'm actually stunned by it's depth. Although I donwloaded this game(I wouldn't have if I knew how good it was) I higly recommend you buying it. If you regret it, you are probably retarded and should stick to **** games, e.g CoD like the rest of the 12 year olds. Expand
  76. Feb 22, 2014
    Really enjoying this game. Great art and music that's fully integrated into the narrative. The skyline is fun. Some of the PC controls (o for inventory/game play menu?) are hidden and not intuitive. Downsides for me are no stealth mode and few player choices. I think this reviewer sums up the good and bad really well. http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2013/04/17/bioshock-infinite-10-things-it-got-wrong/1 Expand
  77. Feb 21, 2014
    It's come to my attention that people giving this game the red scores either are just hating, or don't know how to use the ratings properly.

I liked Infinite,and I can't quite grasp where the hate's coming from. Game of the year? No, not by any means. A good game during the year? Yeah, that's more like it.

I liked the different take on the idea of "A man and a lighthouse", and story
    wise, the game was okay. Though...what were they deconstructing again? Well, perhaps that wasn't the focus of Infinite; maybe they were focusing more on the alternate universe ideas than deconstructing an idea.

Gameplay wise I liked it. Thank God they had a plasmid wheel, unlike 2. Though what's up with the "Only two weapons" BS? I liked being able to have all the guns and the freedom doing so gave me; here it just feels like I'm being restricted. Gear was an interesting concept, but kinda eh. Maybe it was just the types I got on my play through, since I hear Gear is randomized each time you go through. Vigors were another thing I wasn't 100% fond of, using mainly Murder of Crows and Shock Jockey, though from what I've played so far in 1999 mode, I might be relying on them more. Infusions were a nice way to also put in RPG elements into the series; these give you the ability to increase either Health, Salts (EVE, basically) or a Shield.

The set pieces were nice, even on a lower graphics card. I've seen pictures and videos of it on higher settings and good Lord, it's a nice looking game.

All in all, if you're a fan of the BioShock series check it out. It's not The Best, but it's not The Worst either.
  78. Feb 21, 2014
    BioShock Infinite it's clearly an overrated game. After the underwhelming BioShock 2 everyone thought about the next installment of the BioShock series by the original author (Irrational Games) as the true sequel and created this myth in their minds but the real game is just an average one. It' begins with a very flat start. The world is a dead one, the graphics are 'very artificial' (it's like playing Myst with a gun) and there is not much to do... then begins the FPS part with mediocre playability (controls just not up to par with the competition.. ok I got spoiled by Borderlands 2 and Fallout 3, mediocre physics, uninteresting AI) and the adventure part too it's just boring. It redeem itself towards the end but anyway it's not enough to put the game beyond an 'average' rating. It's a game I would not like to play again, 'boring' and 'clunky' are the two words that comes to my mind. Expand
  79. Feb 17, 2014
    this is not a terrible game by any means but it just doesnt feel the same you dont get the same vibe as rapture columbia is too bright and i also miss fighting people who are insane
  80. Feb 16, 2014
    Where to start. Just another mediocre shooter, without any "fun while playing" without any gameplay inovations!. But this game has something different. Something more deep. The story, the music, game design, the overall feeling. I had deep artistic and mind blowing experience after the finishing the game. The story is one of the best stories in games...and that ending..... masterpiece..
  81. Feb 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've played all of the BioShock series leading up to this and I don't know what this is. It seems that some BioShock elements were used to develop a limited, hokey shooter with silly elements added to it that have nothing to do with BioShock 1 and 2.

Furthermore, the context of the story is unnecessary and unappreciated (racism...really?). It actually sheds some negative connotations on our founding fathers and the history of the United States albeit in some "attempted" humorous fashion.

To sum it all up; if you're looking for a continuation of the epic BioShock 1 and 2 series, this isn't it. It's a rip-off from the coattails of the former two. Much like a horrible "part 3" of an otherwise fantastic movie series that wasn't written or directed by the team of the first two. The only reason I'm playing through this is because I bought it...thankfully on sale.
  82. Feb 14, 2014
    Bioshock Infinite is an amazing game, with a great story, outstanding and colourful world and overall GOOD gameplay it is one of 2013's best. There are only a few main negative points that Infinite carries which is which are its lack of meaningful player decisions, a lame final battle. and a few hallway-shooter levels. The last ~3 minutes or so of the game will tie up all loose ends from the game and some that you didn't even know existed.

83. Feb 6, 2014
    bioshock infinite has lost it's roots and become just a beautifull looking shooter. nothing more, nothing less. It's doesn't need the name bioSHOCK, they should rename it to something else. Because there is nothing to shock. System shock 2 was truly good with it's very outdated graphics.In Bioshock 1 there were some good moments that were shocking.... That people only rate this game a 10 because it's good looking is like handed over a chocolate that is good looking but very hollow. I finished the game, but I could have spend the money else ware. Perhaps the last DLC part is any good? Expand
  84. Feb 3, 2014
    Not bad. Decent graphics, good voice acting, boring but solid FPS combat. Worth it for the eye candy perhaps, but I won't be playing it again.

This could have been something special: setting is very impressive and stylish with lots of attention to detail, and the developers were obviously trying to say something intelligent. Instead - the usual move forwards and kill, repeat, repeat.
    Why? Because a guy who I hear speaking sometimes is evil.

There's more to it than that, but if you want to find out what happens at the end you need to rack up an enormous bodycount first. The other Bioshocks and System Shock had puzzles and exploring; Infinite is just about shooting everything and then finding the exit to the next area.

Cool characters that might become Booker's allies manage to find bizarre ways of becoming his enemy so they can be added to the death toll. The sheer amount of meaningless killing (Booker pulls the trigger and Elizabeth throws him more ammo) makes situations like Booker stopping to tell Elizabeth that stealing from a tomb is wrong ("Think about what you're doing!"), unintentionally hilarious.

The moral of the story? Gunning down hundreds of people is fine as long as they are evil, but racism is very very very bad.
  85. Feb 2, 2014
    This game was not made for me. I found it to be very boring, with the same rinse-repeat shootouts without much of a break. The story line and themes were incredibly convoluted. What a shame, considering I really like the first and second Bioshock. I will however, play it a second time on a higher difficulty to see if that makes any sort of difference. I really was hoping to enjoy this.
  86. Jan 27, 2014
    Bioshock Infinite must be one of the most cleverly designed games I’ve ever played. All design decisions made by the developers subtly direct the player towards interesting themes that keep reverberating throughout the story. This Bioshock game takes place in a different utopia that floats in the sky. Infinite’s gameworld, Columbia, is given incredible detail and is probably the most vibrant and dynamic city portrayed in gaming. Irrational Games designed characters that exude lively animations and personalities that, for the first time in the franchise, provoked genuine emotional reactions out of me. You play as an ex-Pinkerton agent assigned with a rather simple task that gets complicated quickly. Throughout your adventure in Columbia, the player is presented with some of the most uncomfortable and controversial game moments and takes a new approach with choice and morality. However, these segments are beautifully tied into the story’s theme and portrayed with such narrative finesse that the player’s discomfort is also accompanied with awe and amazement.

While Bioshock Infinite doesn’t have the incredible level design its predecessors had, the game has extremely balanced gameplay that struggles between exploration, combat, and story. All details of Infinite are so carefully considered, it would be silly to assume that Irrational Games got lazy when designing the combat. If the combat system became any more complicated with extra secondary goals and additional exploration, it would disrupt the balance between the narrative and ultimately force the player to focus less on the story. While I would prefer that my Booker DeWitt had the ability to carry all accessible weapons with him, the two-weapon system doesn’t necessary bother me. Almost all weapons are very well balanced and merely cater to different gameplay styles without offering noticeable advantages in combat. In addition, I found that Vigors are a much more appealing magic system than the Plasmids in Rapture. The various Vigors react with each other differently and offer much more depth to the gameplay if you decide to experiment with them. The defensive Vigors, such as Return to Sender and an upgraded Charge, can become life savers on higher difficulties. It’s incredibly rewarding when the player perseveres through a challenging combat situation by cleverly utilizing their Vigor arsenal. Bioshock Infinite is one of the most colorful games ever crafted and steers the shooter genre in a new direction with its fluid gameplay and remarkable narration.
  87. Jan 27, 2014
    Bioshock was my Game of the Year of 2013. In order to have a full understanding and experience, play the other Bioshock's before starting Infinite.
    The graphics are gorgeous and stunning on PC, the gameplay and shooter mechanics are smooth and exceptional.
    What really drives Infinite is the story line. Not ruining anything, but the ending is confusing to many people and I suggest once
    you have finished, youtube the ending of Bioshock Infinite explained in full detail.
    Elizabeth is a companion that is never going to be forgotten. She not only helps you in battle, but she is what drives the story. Elizabeth, you could say, is the centerpiece throughout the entire game.
    The vigors are well thought and interpreted, as this gives the player many options to chose how they want to approach a battle. Planning is essential on the higher difficulties, especially 1999 mode.
    However, the game does not feature enough guns, and I found myself sticking with the same guns throughout the whole game.
    All in all, one of the best story-driven, first-person shooters I have ever played. Please continue to amaze us, 2K and Irrational Games.
  88. Jan 27, 2014
    The game is not bad but I must say that I enjoyed the first Bioshock more and to a lesser degree Bioshock 2. It just doesn't have that gem quality the first one did. As a shooter it is mediocre. As a story driven action adventure the story is only mildly compelling with the usual go here do this, go here do that. Many of its spells/augmentations seem to be there just as filler as they don't really add much to the game. The art direction is very good but that's to be expected from Irrational, if only they didn't use the same rather outdated engine. The game was also a bit repetitive. The quality is there as a triple A game would demand but it just didn't dazzle me as much as Dishonored did, which I think competes well in this genre. Expand
  89. Jan 27, 2014
    Relish this game. Take it all in. Beautiful and gripping from pillar to post! One of the best games ive ever played...to date! I find it hard to comprehend how some people score it low. If its not your cup of tea its worth at least a 7/10 for its sheer graphical quality and beauty!
  90. Jan 26, 2014
    Back in the year 2007, the company Irrational Games released BioShock, which was a fantastic first person shooter that brought new things to the table that brought a more unique flare to the tried and true FPS genre. This game had an amazing storyline, superpowers that change the way the game can be played, and beautiful graphics. The game was fantastic, and critically acclaimed by critics and FPS fans alike. Then in 2010, a sequel called BioShock 2 was released. This game was not made by the same developer. Despite this however, the game was considered great, but not as good as its predecessor. Now the series is back with BioShock Infinite, a game with a different setting from the first two games, but is still made by the developer of the first game. So, does this game live up to the legacy of its predecessors, or should the developers have just stuck with the original setting? Let's find out. The gameplay of this game is very similar to its predecessors. It is a first person shooter with many weapons for you to mess around with. This game has all of the weapons that an FPS fan could ask for. It has machine guns, shotguns, pistols, and even grenade launchers. This may sound like your generic FPS at first, but this game also has something that changes the gameplay quite a bit. You also have these amazing superpowers called vigors. Vigors give your character special powers such as the ability to throw fire into your enemy's faces, zapping them with lightning, and even murdering them with a horde of crows. Overall, this game's gameplay is not much different from it's predecessors at all, except that it seems to appeal more to the modern FPS fan then a classic one. After all, this time you can only have two weapons at a time, and you can only wield two vigors at a time. However, this isn't much of a problem considering that it is still fun to play despite this restriction. The gameplay of this game is quite fantastic overall. The graphics of this game have got to be the most beautiful I have ever seen in any video game. I'm not kidding. This game's graphics are just so beautiful it is crazy. Everything is rich with detail, along with being bright and colorful. The setting is probably the most beautiful part however. It is a city in the clouds that is filled with posters, billboards and the like talking about how amazing the place is. The people in the game are realistic looking, the clouds in the sky are a nice touch, and I could go on and on. This game is about as beautiful as a modern FPS can get. As for the story, it is quite possibly the best story that I have ever heard in my life. That is not a joke. This story is so amazing it is ridiculous. It starts with you, the main character Booker DeWitt, who is threatened with death if he doesn't complete his mission. His mission is to "Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt,". This girl is Elizabeth, who you will meet later in the game, who will be your sidekick later on. Along the way, you get caught up in a conflict with the game's main villain, Zachary Hale Comstock who created the city of Columbia, which is where the game takes place. The story is told like a classic animated Disney movie, and is filled with themes such as racism and religion. The story is handled quite fantastically, and is told very well.
    Overall, this game definitely lives up to the legacy of its predecessors. It is a game that absolutely everyone needs to play. It is one of the best games I have ever played in my life. My only real problem with it is that it is too much like a modern shooter, where the other games in the franchise were more like a classic FPS.
    Gameplay: 9/10
    Graphics: 10/10
    Story: 10/10
    Overall: 10/10
  91. Jan 25, 2014
    Game is great. However, it is far from perfect; at least on PC. There are a few notable things that nearly all PC games have that this game simply lacks with no explanation other than it being a port. The graphics are good, but feel like they are targeted towards consoles again since they don't take advantage of many aspects of the Unreal engine that are almost laughably easy to implement even to the most amateur of UDK newbie such as reflections). The art content is very nice.

The game design is where the game feels lackluster in comparison to its predecessors. The level design and agency of the game feel extremely stifled. There are a few "decisions" here and there that make no difference, all customization items are strewn about randomly meaning that the map and enemy design go unaffected by them in the long run. The characters and bad guys also feel silly. I really wish that there was at least some sort of open worldedness and a way to explore in more ways.

Another problem that I have is why on earth can you not have multiple saves, let alone being able to save where you want. Bioshock 1 and 2 had this why does Infinite not. I just started another game to let my friend play and had to lose all my previous progress. It is uncalled for. There are other things such as the Vigor wheel obviously being geared towards controller use and weapon limiting but the save problems are the worst. I know this is a minor gripe but this should have been addressed.
  92. Jan 25, 2014
    I really liked this game. Really really liked it. Its graphics are fantastic, theme is spot-on, and the gameplay is rock-solid. The only complaints I have (relatively minor ones) stem from the story and characters.

Starting off with the graphics: I'm so glad my upgraded PC can run this on max. While some areas of the game aren't really that amazing from a technical standpoint, going
    outside in Columbia is a revelation. Not only did I appreciate the lighting, textures, and particle effects, but felt that they aided my absorption into the game.

The astounding graphics tie into my next love of the game: the theme. Columbia is breathtaking. The old-timey machines, voices, and buildings are breathtaking. This game made 1912 interesting, a mean feat considering how boring I found it previously. The ideas behind this game are varied, and I have no doubt that they could carry a prequel or a sequel if one was made.

Gameplay finally. Weapons feel punchy and dangerous. Vigors were better implemented in this game than they were in the first Bioshock; they were a key aspect of most of my battles. Elizabeth's 'tearing' saved my ass so many times that I'm not even sure I would have beat the game without it. Skylines are just the best idea ever, although I did find myself over-using them because of the almost-complete safety they gave me. Airship battles: not restricting at all, which I thought they would be. The enemies also kept you on your toes, with the Handymen and crow guys standing out for me. Some people say the gameplay is nothing special, and objectively that may be so, but I did really feel like Booker DeWitt trying to survive in this weird new world whenever I was in combat.

Now to the goddamn story and characters. Without spoiling much, I loved Elizabeth (as most do). Pretty much all of the moments of happiness, sadness, and compassion were because of her. Only times I didn't like her was when she was wayyyyy too clued-in to what was going on to make any sense (read: the ending). However, that's more of a story problem than hers. Comstock was one-dimensional, racist, bible-bashing, but entertaining enough. Booker has a bit of an uneven story; he turns from being vital to the plot to almost invisible many times throughout the game. Other characters range from great (Lutece twins) to okay (Jeremiah Fink) to bad (Daisy Fitzroy).

The story itself, well, I really really really liked it. Ranging from figuring out what the hell is going on to trying to escape to, well, the endgame, I had a blast throughout. I genuinely looked forward to every new location in the game. Only problem; the ending was rushed. I loved the ideas behind it, but they could have been paced better to give the player time to breathe. That being said, the whole ending sequence was so thought-provoking I want to replay the game just to see what I missed. I could go on with my opinion on the story, but I don't really feel like it. It's really an 'in the moment' game.

Overall, a great game.
  93. Jan 22, 2014
    Amazing graphics, characters, setting, design, music and sound effects.
    Absolutely retarded and terrible gameplay!! It's really a disgrace to the fps genre in terms of challenge and mechanics.
  94. Jan 20, 2014
    So this was my first bioshock and i gotta say
    I was pretty good but not unreal i gound it s littke repetitive
    Not many weapons and very short campain
    Story was good and look was good id give it
  95. Jan 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is not often you play a game and then immediately afterwards want to talk about your feelings and experience. System Shock 1 did not do that for me, not even System Shock 2 and I still have my original CDs of that game. SS2 was one of my best games all time by the way. Like it or not - games have moved on and the consolisation of our beloved PC games continues. Shame I say!

Bioshock Infinite is a lot like the original Bioshock. However, some things have been changed for the better - some for the worse. You are now travelling amongst the clouds, in a magical floating city where Humming Birds, Candy Floss and rainbows stretch across the horizon. It follows after one of the best introductions in a video game - starting with the standard man, boat, lighthouse and ending up in the amazing chapel. At the beginning - you sort of explore - play some games in the fairground - see the happy locals living their privelaged life.

Like the orginal BIoshocks - the game is extremely linear - this time there is no illusion that you are free to choose your path. What you are playing is an interactive story and believe me - it is the best interactive story you could ever take part in. Bringing in film, books and gaming together - the end result, and I mean when you get to THE END - you will think and feel like you never have before in gaming.

I liked the moment in the beginning chapel and getting baptised. I liked exploring the opening fairground and taking part in the games. I was surprised by the lottery section and the comment it made on mixed marriages. I liked the use of the sky rails and had not experienced that in a video game before. I liked the combat but found I was often reminded to use the vigours - unlike Bioshock 1 and 2. I liked the beach, the American Indian and Chinese Boxers sections. I liked the build up to your initial meeting with Elizabeth.

The experience with the Elizabeth character was just so amazing and wonderful - totally unique - no - nothing like Alyx in Half Life 2 - much better. Watching the Elizabeth character change over the course of the game was heart wrenching and your inability of stopping that was difficult to take. Remember - you are not in control of this game - you go and do what you are told - you live the story and play your role.

Technically - the game is not better than SS2 or BS1 - but the story telling sets this game apart from any other I have experienced - give it a go, please. Take your time and do not rush - explore the world - struggle through the bad interface and dumbed down options - you will thank me.

Hmm - anything wrong with the game? Well - let's say I would have done some things different - too much shooter for me. Somethings seem to have been taken out or put in at the last minute - it's obvious but all that never really affected my experience, or my feelings.

I think this thing of leaving bits of the story and background in voicemails needs to improve in the future - we gamers really need this a bit more directly - we all don't have time to search the intranet to find answers once we complete a game - please give us more info next time. Some character interaction with the citizens with the world would help that.

So - on to the feelings and thinking bit - BI is a grown up game - younger people might like the (standard) shooty shooty, I would not. Without the story telling this game is not a "Shock". It becomes a standard shooter.

Racism, Equality, The Nature of Power, Violence, Religion, Technology. Family. Children. The choices we make. What is gaming for?

I am giving this a 9/10 with Skyrim being a 10/10. I don't understand the haters below that are giving it a fat zero. Obviously a game can move from a 7 to a 10, some guys might be really into this one and give it a 10. I would not say it is excessive. But zeros? All their criticism is valid though -

Some ways this is worse than Bioshock - the story telling is better.
    Bring us the girl, and wipe away the debt.
    Elizabeth: Booker, are you afraid of God? Booker DeWitt: No. But I'm afraid of you.
    The mind of the subject will desperately struggle to create memories where none exist.
    The seed of the prophet shall sit the throne, and drown in flame the mountains of man.
    Love the Prophet, cause he loves the Sinner, Love the Sinner, Because he is you. Without the Sinner, what need is there for a redeemer? Without Sin, what grace has forgiveness?
    What exactly was the great emancipator, emancipating the negro from? From his daily bread, from the nobility of honest days work, from wealthy patrons who sponsered them from cradle to grave. Front clothing and shelter and what have they done?, Why go to Finkton and you shall find out. No man is born free, except the white man, and it is our burden to care for the rest of creation.

The ending is the best ending EVER in a video game - show me better if you can.
  96. Jan 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This Game is beautiful, the voice acting is great, especially by Troy Baker, the story really makes you think, and doesn't have the weak ending that Bioshock 1 and 2 had, the gameplay is ok, but this game is a masterpiece. Expand
  97. Jan 18, 2014
    To be honest i haven’t completed the game and don’t see myself finishing it any time soon, this isn’t a film i expect a game to rely on more than just its story which unfortunately BioShock Infinite seems to have forgotten. I dont think Bioshock is a bad game but its strictly mediocre at best. Heres some of the issues:

-You can only carry two guns at once and ammo is so rare that you
    will be forced to carry the crappy guns that all the enemies carry.
    -Upgrades cost way to much so it’s unlikely that you'll be able to afford many of them.
    -The guns feel awful they carry no weight to them and you don’t get any enjoyment out of using them.
    -Plasmids are in the game for no apparent reason (and aren’t explained at all stunning plot) and what’s worse they are all EXACTLY THE SAME you can fire them at enemies or set a trap on the floor.....that is all.
    -You'll spend around 80% of your time in combat and it never changes due to lack of enemy variety and the point mentioned earlier about lack of ammo causing you to use same ♥♥♥♥ty guns.
    -Enemy AI is awful all the enemies are bullet sponges and charge your position.
    -Melee combat tagged on and adds nothing to gameplay
    -Handymen...
    -Tooltips in the middle of combat

All in all it seems that way to much time was spent building the world of Bioshock infinite and gameplay was rushed in, in the last couple of months and that said the story is hardly mindblowing either the game jumps between a dozens of different themes and so far hasn’t fleshed out any of them.
  98. Jan 17, 2014
    Bioshock Infinite is for sure a top game of 2013 and perhaps of all time. With visually stunning graphics and a story that pulls you deeper than almost any other, the game deserves special attention from true gamers. Bioshock Infinite is a near masterpiece.
  99. Jan 16, 2014
    Amazing, unbelievable and fun. The art looks like it was made by saints and the story by unknown divine beings. If you don't like this game then you are probably one of those dota players that live in a bubble. After finishing it for like 7 times I will continue doing so until a better game gets released. Definitely my favourite title for a very long time.
  100. Jan 15, 2014
    I have been playing computer games since the days of space invaders, I have played and seen it all so I'm in no small way fussy and a little jaded. I have never given a game a perfect score so this is a first for me.

At its core Bioshock Infinite is a simple shooter, its not overly clever and its not trying to be. What sets it apart from the crowd is its superb blend of story, graphics
    and its pure imagination. Its not too much of a stretch to call this game a playable work of art.

I adored every exquisite, artistic moment of this game. There are times when it truly takes your breadth away. I'm in awe of its creators and how far we have come with game technology.

So hey stop listening to me gush. Bioshock Infinite is on EBay and other sites for prices that are an absolute steal. Go get a copy.

Play BSI slowly, relish the moments and don’t rush to the end. It’s certain that you will have lived one of the richest gaming experiences that, as far as narration, lyricism and story are concerned, will take a lot of time to forget! [May 2013]
  2. May 7, 2013
    A very solid, but not revolutionary shooter in an amazing setting, with a story that struggles to convey its authors’ ambitions and is only seemingly complex. The vision is less focused than in previous Bioshocks and it does a worse job on binding the plot with gameplay. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.46]
  3. May 1, 2013
    Problematic plotting and excessive amounts of poorly balanced combat apply friction to what is otherwise one hell of a rollercoaster. [May 2013, p.80]