BioShock Infinite PC

8.6

1. Mar 28, 2013
    The combat was boring. The story failed to create any emotional connection to anything. I would compare it to Inception which was just a mental circle jerk that failed to create any characters or relationships that were interesting. The graphics are decent but not as good as Tomb Raider. Overall I didn't expect much from this game since whenever the media goes crazy and starts throwing outThe combat was boring. The story failed to create any emotional connection to anything. I would compare it to Inception which was just a mental circle jerk that failed to create any characters or relationships that were interesting. The graphics are decent but not as good as Tomb Raider. Overall I didn't expect much from this game since whenever the media goes crazy and starts throwing out 10/10's its usually a warning sign, but I expected one fragment of goodness from the first Bioshock. Nothing. This game is nothing like the first Bioshock. In Bioshock 1 you get a concrete sense of the world and atmosphere and you enjoy the exploration. Each location had a personality and a character to explore but Infinite is just a mess of boring locations and irrelevant characters. You just kinda wander and fight with no purpose until you reach the ending and get a vague sense of what it was all about only to realize you don't care about anything in the world of Colombia. If the gameplay was amazing I would give this game a 9/10 but it was all just very average, none of the guns felt cool and of the 7-8 vigors only one of them was entertaining. Everything Infinite tries to do, Bioshock 1 does better. Expand
  2. Apr 20, 2013
    I hate to do this to one of my favorite franchises around, but i must. This is not an awful game by far, it just doesn't meet with Bioshock 1 standards. Graphically not better than the first. Story not even close to the first. Gameplay... hmmm not better than the first but not terrible. Overall just a fun game and ok story line, nothing great. I'm a bit disappointed
  3. Mar 28, 2013
    I can't help but wonder: If we took the Bioshock name off the title, would it still be receiving such praise? Frankly, most of the elements that were unique to BioShock have been utterly stripped from this title. There's still plasmids (Vigors) and a steampunk setting but that is where the similarities cease. The hacking elements are gone, lockpicking is taken away from the player andI can't help but wonder: If we took the Bioshock name off the title, would it still be receiving such praise? Frankly, most of the elements that were unique to BioShock have been utterly stripped from this title. There's still plasmids (Vigors) and a steampunk setting but that is where the similarities cease. The hacking elements are gone, lockpicking is taken away from the player and given to an AI, the research camera is removed, and paying attention to health has been replaced with the all-too-generic "regenerating health" mechanic. BioShock's "Big Daddies" are replaced with "Handymen" who are seen far too infrequently, and "Motorized Patriots" which are overused. The vast majority of the enemy AI are merely footsolders who are easy to defeat (and completely stupid) even on the hardest setting. The shooting mechanics have never been particularly strong in the BioShock franchise but BioShock Infinite strips it down further, allowing players to carry only two weapons at any given time like any other stock FPS title. In addition, the vigor powers themselves are lackluster and chances are you'll go through the entire game running with Possession (the hacking "replacement") and Bucking Bronco or Murder of Crows (the two Vigors which have the most effect on enemy mobs loss of control and stun+damage, respectively). We get Vigor powers like "Shock Jockey" (the name should tell you what it does) and the game points out how we can use it to power up devices but then we only get one particular device to use it on and little reason to use it again. So this leaves us with the story which seems to be getting the most praise. However, the story itself is a series of walking cliches and tropes about multiverse theory and time-space manipulation and, frankly, has been addressed better elsewhere in countless science fiction novels, movies, TV shows, and even comic books. When the game explains the concepts of "constants and variables" in the multiverse it feels more like they're attempting to justify why the game took such a hard 90 degree turn away from previous gameplay demos in order to proffer this metaphysical theme. Where, for example, is the Elizabeth AI we were shown where she fought along side of us? Gone and replaced with a cowering AI that gets in the way and offers little help but tossing us items from time to time. Where, for example, were the critical moments in the game shown during gameplay demos of E3's past? Gone and replaced with overly cerebral tropes about quantum mechanics and multiple realities. Where, for example, are all the examples of how the sky-rail plays a critical role in the game? Just gone, entirely. Don't get me wrong, the story is heads and shoulders better than MOST games these days and the attention to detail is second to none. For those reasons alone the game should be experienced at least once. It's just the story isn't nearly as new OR earth shattering as many claim it to be and, if I didn't care about spoilers, I could point out how Infinite almost perfectly parallels the story of Walter and Peter Bishop from the TV show Fringe. While the story is better than most it really doesn't make the shortcomings of the gameplay easier to bear. Finally, for a game which was designed exclusively for single player, the game is very short, clocking in at a total of 14 hours on the hard difficulty setting with most of the collectibles obtained. Given the fact that many elements were chopped out of the gameplay videos, I can't help but wonder how much is sitting on the cutting room floor, or if key parts were stripped in order to push out fast DLC. There's no reason this game shouldn't have been AT LEAST 20 hours in length, especially given how linear it is designed. All in all, it's a decent game but painfully average in terms of gameplay and only barely above average in terms of story. Levine spent so much time on the metaphysical that it feels like he and the development team forgot that it was all of the elements, combined, that made BioShock so distinct and enjoyable. It's worth playing at least once to soak in all the wonder but, sadly, you won't really be going back to play it again since nothing (except difficulty) changes between play throughs. Expand
  4. Apr 17, 2013
    Only moderately decent as a shooter but worth playing once through for a reasonably engaging story and imaginative environments. However, playing at turtle speed and strolling around looking at every painting on the wall will only buy you 12-15 hours of game play making the experiencing limited. I felt like I got Act I and then someone decided to cram Acts II III into the last 2 hoursOnly moderately decent as a shooter but worth playing once through for a reasonably engaging story and imaginative environments. However, playing at turtle speed and strolling around looking at every painting on the wall will only buy you 12-15 hours of game play making the experiencing limited. I felt like I got Act I and then someone decided to cram Acts II III into the last 2 hours rather than fully developing a complete AAA game. For that reason, I would recommend waiting until the final edition is released with all DLC and put on sale for $20-$30 which is where the price point is worthy of being for the ride. Expand
  5. Apr 7, 2013
    Pros: Setting is masterfully crafted and well-detailed. Good main characters. Lots of style and flair. Decent story with a moral backbone that few other games have.

Cons: Gameplay leaves lots to be desired. Like its predecessor, Bioshock, it still leaves a lot to be desired in comparison to the game these titles are supposed to be the spiritual successor for: System Shock 2. Bioshock Infinite is a shooter with extremely light RPG influences, and even as a shooter, it's only an OK one. Playing B:I, I myself looking forward to the dialogue between the main characters--which thankfully there is plenty off--but nearly falling asleep during gameplay segments, looking forward to them being over so I can get to the next scene. Also, the UI looks nice, but it's terrible from a usability perspective, especially on the PC. The gear system, for example, is pitifully designed.

All in all, it's a well-polished game. I love that it's focused on single player only with no frills. I love the game's themes and design. But the gameplay is so shallow, the AI is weak, and I'm left with little desire to play the game again.
  6. Jul 20, 2013
    The game has stunning visuals and a great story line. But the execution leaves a lot to be desired. The pacing is very slow; it took me 45 minutes of playing before the shooting began. The money that you need is mostly found by searching barrels and boxes and trash cans (who's throwing away all this money?!?) and bodies. And there are a LOT of things to search... it gets pretty damnThe game has stunning visuals and a great story line. But the execution leaves a lot to be desired. The pacing is very slow; it took me 45 minutes of playing before the shooting began. The money that you need is mostly found by searching barrels and boxes and trash cans (who's throwing away all this money?!?) and bodies. And there are a LOT of things to search... it gets pretty damn tedious. Overall, the game doesn't live up to the first Bioshock, and it doesn't live up to the hype. In fact, it feels more like an RPG than an FPS; the developer is really keen on you exploring the world and eavesdropping on conversations. Bioshock 2 left me cold; I had been hoping that Bioshock infinite would recapture the magic of the first game, but it just doesn't. Expand
  7. Jun 6, 2013
    A mostly fun game, but not one I feel the need to replay since it was very generic most of the time. It's very much a tunnel shooter. This game had a LOT of hype, but was not as good as the original, nor anything that special gameplay or technically wise. Though the story was good.
    It's a 6/10 at best tbh
  8. Jul 28, 2013
    Good but not great another fine example of industry overhype.

Good but not great another fine example of industry overhype.

The art design and overall feel of the world is fantastic (even though technically the graphics are rather poor lots of post-processing hiding poor textures and low poly counts) but the gameplay is a very generic shooter and gets repetitive very quickly. Overall game mechanics are dumbed-down significantly from Bioshock 1 and 2.

In short, a shiny but shallow game. Worth playing for the world and the story, but nowhere near as good as people are making it out to be.
  9. Dec 23, 2013
    This game is really quite overrated by the so-called critics. It is certainly not a masterpiece of storytelling, or even particularly interesting in its apparent critical treatment on American exceptionalism. The pseudo-Americans seem quite impressive and exceptional with their flying city, even if their social beliefs seem beyond the pale. However, the "Columbians" don't even seem toThis game is really quite overrated by the so-called critics. It is certainly not a masterpiece of storytelling, or even particularly interesting in its apparent critical treatment on American exceptionalism. The pseudo-Americans seem quite impressive and exceptional with their flying city, even if their social beliefs seem beyond the pale. However, the "Columbians" don't even seem to hold beliefs that are terribly out of pace for the day. Eugenics, racism, and a puritanical protestant faith emphasizing civic life were part of modern life in early twentieth/late 19th century America. If anything the game only exaggerates the actual belief systems held by most people in those days. The populist faction is also portrayed just as exaggerated, and are shown to be bloodthirsty maniacs who just want to steal everyone's property as the game unfolds.

The game has more plot holes than Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. The ending seems to be a play at some deep, philosophical point, but winds up imploding under its own absurdity. When you beat the game (12 hour finish on hard for me, and I will probably not be playing through 1999 difficulty, unlocked after HM completion), you will likely come to the conclusion that the game would have been better without the ending. A simple fade-to-black after the final battle would have been more satisfying. Instead the player endures a painful revelation sequence where all questions about what is going on are answered, and simultaneously rendered moot.

If I had payed the sticker-price for this game (I picked it up on a Steam sale), I would have been very disappointed. It was worth 10 USD.

As a FPS it is fine. As the inheritor of BioShock it does not live up to BioShock 1 or even 2. Several interesting features are left out which were enjoyable and well-tuned in the previous games. There is no map; making completion difficult. Money is tight in the game, but this is intentional and forces the player to prioritize upgrades. Ammo was always a problem on hard, and there was never quite enough cash to buy anything, so pluses for that.

The primary failures of this game are in the narrative, which might seem nitpicky, but for a single-player FPS, the story is all we really have to hold the thing together. Without a tight, compelling narrative there is really no reason to play the game to my mind. There were several instances in the game where the main character develops a case of macguffinitis, and can't see that it is actually absurd that he continues toward the next objective given what is going on. If anything the highly-trained Pinkerton agent would have been intelligent enough to figure out there were better ways to go about his objective. At least in BioShock there was a concrete in-game reason for the mindless objective chasing, and the second part followed naturally. Infinite has no such coherence on the plot level.

This game is really a 6, maybe a 7.5 if the reviewer was feeling generous. I cannot understand how this game gets such fawning institutional reviews. It is a mixed bag at best.

If you're a BioShock fan, you will (somewhat) enjoy this game. Wait for a sale.
  10. Mar 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well i can't deny that the story from beginning to end was quite intriguing and nearly brilliant. i use the term brilliant as it caused quite some confusion halfway trough when the first inter-dimensional travel happened. It felt...Forced. First you are in the relatively normal world and suddenly your in the dimension where the Rebellion was already full underway. if the transition was less sudden it would have helped, but alas. There were also the loose ends here and there.
    Game-play wise. it was poor. The details were great but the game-play felt simplified. the world lacked the depth and freedom of the former Bioshock games. The enemies where rather bland (they were fodder. 1 shot to the head with a pistol and done most of the time!) and the few "special" enemies were spread out thin. you encounter the Handy-men a few times trough out the game (they were miniature bosses) and the Boys of silence you encounter in only one level and have no single importance. The Vigor system (tough nicely thought up) wasn't needed most the time and i still have yet to hear where they came from unlike their plasmid counterpart that was properly explained.
    Its a good game, but in the end im afraid the over focus on the story has left the game-play slightly lacking. I did like the Luteces tough. added a little bit of silliness here and there which was surely needed.
  11. May 5, 2013
    Good game but there is no replay value after finishing it The game world and the story are a bit ridiculous for my taste and the graphics are very "cartoonish". I gave it a 7 for being a good game but this is not a classic as it is majorly overhyped by some people
  12. Jan 25, 2014
    Game is great. However, it is far from perfect; at least on PC. There are a few notable things that nearly all PC games have that this game simply lacks with no explanation other than it being a port. The graphics are good, but feel like they are targeted towards consoles again since they don't take advantage of many aspects of the Unreal engine that are almost laughably easy to implementGame is great. However, it is far from perfect; at least on PC. There are a few notable things that nearly all PC games have that this game simply lacks with no explanation other than it being a port. The graphics are good, but feel like they are targeted towards consoles again since they don't take advantage of many aspects of the Unreal engine that are almost laughably easy to implement even to the most amateur of UDK newbie such as reflections). The art content is very nice.

The game design is where the game feels lackluster in comparison to its predecessors. The level design and agency of the game feel extremely stifled. There are a few "decisions" here and there that make no difference, all customization items are strewn about randomly meaning that the map and enemy design go unaffected by them in the long run. The characters and bad guys also feel silly. I really wish that there was at least some sort of open worldedness and a way to explore in more ways.

Another problem that I have is why on earth can you not have multiple saves, let alone being able to save where you want. Bioshock 1 and 2 had this why does Infinite not. I just started another game to let my friend play and had to lose all my previous progress. It is uncalled for. There are other things such as the Vigor wheel obviously being geared towards controller use and weapon limiting but the save problems are the worst. I know this is a minor gripe but this should have been addressed.
  13. May 2, 2014
    Bioshock Infinite is a decent game which suffers from pacing and gameplay issues. The story is decent enough, but a let down compared to the first game, and not nearly as clever in its commentary about the world or video games. The best part of the game is your sidekick, Elizabeth, who is a sidekick done right and uses a very clever mechanic to make herself useful and meaningful, but theBioshock Infinite is a decent game which suffers from pacing and gameplay issues. The story is decent enough, but a let down compared to the first game, and not nearly as clever in its commentary about the world or video games. The best part of the game is your sidekick, Elizabeth, who is a sidekick done right and uses a very clever mechanic to make herself useful and meaningful, but the game itself failed to make itself dynamic enough for her to be used to her full potential.

The story of the original Bioshock is what really made the game special. Unfortunately, this game's story is not up to the level of the first game's story; you don't feel the same drive onward, and, unfortunately, because of the first game's twist, it is more obvious that there is going to be a twist in this one, which somewhat bothered me as I saw the twist coming from the very start of the game.
    Unlike in the previous games, in Bioshock Infinite, your character, Booker DeWitt, has both a name and a personality. Booker speaks up throughout the game, talking to the various NPCs, and especially to his sidekick, Elizabeth.
    The best and worst part of the game is the various transitions between realities; not only do you draw things between worlds, but you actually travel between worlds at various points in the game, to realities where things played out differently, including (eventually) a reality wherein Booker died after coming to the city.
    The problem, ultimately, is that the game never really delivers on the story; it is alright, but it isn't spectacular, and the world-skipping, while a neat idea, never really ends up having the punch that it should, as well as making it so that what we did earlier didn't really matter in that particular world (or maybe it did - who knows?). The whole "dead in one world, alive in another" thing is never really properly explored or followed up on, even though it was built up in significance, and the end result is that while it advanced the plot it really failed to make the game awesome.

The ultimate weakness of this game lies in its gameplay. Bioshock Infinite is every bit the sequel to the previous Bioshock games, and this isn't a good thing - the gameplay is very similar to what it was in previous games, and while the enemy variety is a bit better in this game, there's nothing quite as exciting as some of the Big Daddy fights were in the first game. The Handymen are alright replacements for them, and make for reasonable enough fights, and your first fight against the various new types of enemies is neat enough, but as with the previous games, the lack of real bosses hurts the game a bit.
    The normal soldiers who are running around in most of the game are not terribly difficult or interesting enemies to fight, and while some of the battlefields are very interesting and dynamic and make good use of Elizabeth's powers, many of the fights are the opposite - very static things where you just hide behind cover and shoot the enemies, gradually grinding your way through the group without changing what you had summoned into the fight with Elizabeth at all. Elizabeth's powers are really neat, but without a reason to run around during the fight (something some of the special enemies provided at times, especially the handymen, as well as some of the more interesting environmental setups) they often didn't end up very interesting as they just were a piece of whatever I summoned in at the start to help me, rather than something I brought in mid-fight to swing things in my favor.
    The actual weapons in the game were very standard for a FPS, with the usual assortment of weapons, and unfortunately the upgrades system really encouraged you to try and stick to as few weapons as possible so that you could make the most use out of your upgrades - this is one of the major flaws of upgrade systems, in that they actually frequently reduce the variety of gameplay by encouraging you to not use a variety of weapons. Some of the weapons were also vastly better than others, and by the end of the game you pretty much had your pick of which weapon to use most of the time, rather than giving you a scavenging feel.
    The vigors are supposed to help mix things up from the usual FPS point of view, and it is nice to have weird weapons in a game, but ultimately I only ended up using a small number of the vigors - really, the only good ones were the ones which temporarily incapacitated foes, including the one that gave me a free ally for a bit, and as a result I pretty much only used three vigors through most of the game. They also didn't fit into the world at all thematically.
    All in all, the gameplay didn't really match the ambiance the story seemed to be trying to create, and the gameplay was too slow for the game itself - the game would have been better if it had avoided making you run around looking for change all the time.
  14. Apr 6, 2013
    I loved the first Bioshock (still think it's the best FPS of all-time) and really liked the second one too. This game is just too buggy and too 'consolized' to be enjoyed on the PC. The mouse feels super sluggish on menu screens and many of the in game menus are designed to be navigated by controllers with the PC as an afterthought. More irritating is the fact that several mouse bugsI loved the first Bioshock (still think it's the best FPS of all-time) and really liked the second one too. This game is just too buggy and too 'consolized' to be enjoyed on the PC. The mouse feels super sluggish on menu screens and many of the in game menus are designed to be navigated by controllers with the PC as an afterthought. More irritating is the fact that several mouse bugs cropped up throughout my playthrough and prevented me from doing basic things like MOVING THE MOUSE?! There are also sections where you can get trapped on the skyrail with no way off. Compounding this irritation is the fact that there is no quicksave, so every time one of these bugs pops up, you have to redo 15 minutes of gameplay to get back to the point you were at. The game itself seems pretty good but until they fix this stuff it's unplayable to me. I guess other people just soldiered through it or bought it for the xbox Expand
  15. Apr 4, 2013
    It's a pretty enough game, both in visuals and sound, but that doesn't cover up what's fundamentally the same Bioshock gameplay we've had for years (and found lacking.)

Let's be real: Infinite is the best in the Bioshock series, easily, but the Bioshock series leaves a lot to be desired. They've done a lot to dress it up and go crazy on spectacle, but it's not doing anything Half-Life 2 didn't do years ago, and it's not even *trying* to do anything Bioshock didn't already do.

Don't believe the hype, folks.
  16. Jun 17, 2013
    Honestly don't get why PC gamers in particular would like this game so much. I like(Make that loved) Bioshock once I worked out a solution to the terrible field of view and was a little disappointed by BS but I had high hopes for this. As it turned out it was the first game I haven't been able to motivate myself to finish.

As it is I just found it corny and lacking in atmosphere.

As it is I just found it corny and lacking in atmosphere. Much of the ideology and concepts seem to be aimed at a US audience but in terms of gameplay its nothing special and far more linear than I can enjoy. Not the most linear game ever but still I don't feel like I am making any choices which make a difference. Mediocre at best. The story and atmosphere is no way strong enough to carry a game which so linear for me.

I think the odd racist comment is supposed to shock us into indignation and feeling something from this game but even that felt too contrived and more marketing gimmic than contributing to atmospherics. The feeling of being manipulated by a governing body which monitors us and controls our information and ideology? Read the news, we are living in far worse times in that regard so what is left to build a story around.

Even the lead female character is too comic book (and not in a good way) to generate any real emotional response despite some great voice acting.
  17. Aug 21, 2013
    Alright all you fanboys and Inception worshipers I'm about to school you hard in why this game is completely 100% basically ok and nothing more. I think I'll rip on the combat first.

In Bioshock 1 you could carry all your guns at once. Ammo would still be tough to come by for certain guns, but that was ok because you could carry your gun until you found or bought ammo for it. This is why it made sense to upgrade weapons you weren't currently using. The upgrade system in B1 made sense because you always had access to the guns you upgraded. The upgrade system in this game is completely stupid because of the 2 weapon limit. I want to use the guns I spent money on upgrading, not be forced to discard them because I can't find ammo. The game also has several variations of the same gun for some reason. Why are there 3 different machine guns when clearly the original machine gun is the best one? These only serve to water down the chances of finding a the machine gun variant I upgraded. This still would have been ok if it were possible to upgrade all weapons in the game to full by about the 1/2 way mark, but you only have enough cash to upgrade a few guns by end game. If you hit a stretch in the game where you can't use your upgraded guns, too bad sucker! You wasted money, and you have to use sh*t tier weapons now.
    Despite this combat has a good feel to it... until you rescue Elizabeth. Don't get me wrong, she is the ideal escort mission, but right then is when the game starts to go from swashbuckling adventure fun to typcial brown/grey modern shooter. There's even health regen. Imagine that.

Right when you go to the poor district of the city is when the game finally says "screw it, I'm a modern shooter, sort of" and goes complete corridor shooter. You still have magic, but it's not as well developed as I expected it to be from Bioshock 1. B1 had obvious issues with plasmids but I expected them to be rectified, not worsened. You never see the sun for the rest of the game btw. Everything is brown/grey, and color schemes like this for several hours really kills the mood of any game.

Time for the story. It feels like all the writers were in the middle of writing a story set in a world about Nazi Germany (Everyone is basically Nazis. Hell, they're even all blonde and blue eyed) mixed with the French Revolution when some nutter ran in saying "Hey everyone guess what! I just discovered this great game called Half Life 2! LETS RIP IT OFF!". And so they did. They even have the Gman, except there's two of them, and they're British.
    The game sets up a compelling and organic world about revolution, racism, and showing the folly of violent uprisings. Or at least, it sets itself up to tell this story really nicely. Before it can get to that part, it decides to interject alternate reality scifi nonsense that obviously tries too hard to be deep. The worst part is though, is that the game expects me to be surprised at its plot twists. Imagine watching a gamer who says he's the best in the world, but then you watch him turn on god mode. That is what alternate realities are to stories; They are the story teller's equivalent of god mode. They declared open season on their own story and said to their audience "I can do anything now!". Because of this, I was able to predict every single plot twist. I knew that because the game devs activated god mode, they would try to pull the weirdest sh*t they could get away with, which was anything. None of it surprised me. It was as if a magician gave me the schematic to a trick, then expected me to be surprised even though he gave me the tools to predict the ending.

Speaking of the ending, it totally sucks. It's some completely forced surreal ending ala Mass Effect 3 or Inception. It makes no sense, but it has to make no sense, because the game set itself up early on to have the ending make no sense. For lack of a better phrase, during the last 30 min of the game, the story goes up its own ass.

On a side note, something I find really hilarious though is that all the reviewers who say that this story wrapped itself up in a nice neat bow, also called Halo's storyline convoluted.

This isn't bringing into question the complete lack of relation to B1. There is one part where they make a nod to Rapture, but Andrew Ryan isn't here. I expected Ryan to interject to want you to kill Comstock because he's totally screwing up Columbia, but that didn't happen. I expected Elizabeth to relate to the Jewish doctor from B1, but that didn't happen. There are no ties to Bioshock 1, other than a glimpse of Rapture, but that's it. That scene basically served as a reminder to say "Remember, this is Bioshock". None of the B1 characters were even involved at all.

Here's what I recommend: The ME3 remedy. Play the game until it starts to get really weird. Then stop and pretend that it ended in a sensible, satisfying way that makes sense for you and coincides with the world setup.
  18. Mar 31, 2013
    This is a story-driven game with good gameplay mechanics. It makes the active choice to repeatedly deny you any story-related choices in the game, making it more like a film with breaks of first-person shooting. Which leaves me conflicted because ultimately a story-driven game without choice needs to have AAA level story to be compelling and lead to a satisfying conclusion. That's whereThis is a story-driven game with good gameplay mechanics. It makes the active choice to repeatedly deny you any story-related choices in the game, making it more like a film with breaks of first-person shooting. Which leaves me conflicted because ultimately a story-driven game without choice needs to have AAA level story to be compelling and lead to a satisfying conclusion. That's where the major flaw lies in this otherwise well-polished and enjoyable action game. The story fails to deliver the satisfactory climax, or even a satisfactory epilogue. Instead, it goes out with a whimper, like a failed film-student project. Still, the beginning is a well grounded start to what could have been game of the year, with characters that start off believable and interesting. Too bad it steers off course and never reaches full promise. Merely a "good" game when all is said and done. Expand
  19. Mar 30, 2013
    Gorgeous scenery, amazing music, satisfying combat, and superb voice acting. Infinite is a well put together game, that feels as though it was meant to be something else. I've followed Infinite for a very long time, since rumors broke about it. It's hard to play the game and not hear Ken Levine's early words, about the morality system, interactions with Songbird, and ideas of how the storyGorgeous scenery, amazing music, satisfying combat, and superb voice acting. Infinite is a well put together game, that feels as though it was meant to be something else. I've followed Infinite for a very long time, since rumors broke about it. It's hard to play the game and not hear Ken Levine's early words, about the morality system, interactions with Songbird, and ideas of how the story was meant to evolve. You can even see how the game was originally going to be during the first chapter, and then it slowly fades away. That 'longing' aside, the story is still a bit lacking. It feels cheap and convoluted, at best. Especially towards the end. Overall a fun experience, that feels a bit shallow and pieced together. Expand
  20. Apr 10, 2013
    Best game ever in an artistic sense. Story/ levels/ events/ textures/ animation/ presentation, everything is perfect. On the other hand, it have the worst gameplay that a first person shooter could have. Shooting totally feels wrong.
  21. Mar 27, 2013
    Sorry folks but I've got to bring some reality to the situation here as a warning for early adopters.

Yes there seems to be a great game hidden under the surface, but even with the latest Nvidia drivers, Bioshock Infinite is running like a dog. Google "Bioshock Infinite Stuttering" and you'll find many others like myself who currently have a game on their hands that still has a lot of optimization ahead of it before it's an acceptable release. I'm having to give up on it until the developers can get it to run smoothly on my more-than-capable PC.
  22. Mar 28, 2013
    This is more of a first impression rather than a full review. So far I've played about an hour of the game but that's enough to get a good feel for every thing except the story which seems twin peakish in nature. I played Bio-shock 1 before playing infinite and a couple of things struck me as I payed: This game was optimized for consoles, not PC's, as the save feature has been removedThis is more of a first impression rather than a full review. So far I've played about an hour of the game but that's enough to get a good feel for every thing except the story which seems twin peakish in nature. I played Bio-shock 1 before playing infinite and a couple of things struck me as I payed: This game was optimized for consoles, not PC's, as the save feature has been removed in favor of a check point system and the game has been dumbed down over all. Graphics are not cutting edge but not that bad either. Characters look plastic and robotic and often go through a short animation loop. Through my play through the character voices didn't sync with the mouth movement of the characters speaking. Guns are much easier to use. Noticed the "infinite" machine gun has no recoil which differs from the first game where the tommy-gun had a noticeable kick back (like a real one would). I encountered my first game breaking glitch about 15 to 20 minutes in at the fair before the raffle. I was at the shotgun shooting booth and when I finished the game wouldn't allow me to exit out. All the other booths worked fine. So far the game isn't gripping me like the first one did. The anti-christian, anti-american under tone is a bit heavy handed and clumsy. Would be nice for a bit more nuance in the story. Games not bad but also no great. Definitely not as good as the reviews are making it out to be. To sum up: The first game was leagues better and this by comparison is over simplified and lack luster.

On a side note I'd like to comment on the odd influx of 10 scores so quickly since the game was released seems suspicious. I'm guessing a fair number of those tens might be from 2K stooges hired to fluff the meta critic score. Buyer beware I suppose but it's still insulting to me as a consumer.
  23. Apr 2, 2013
    This is a somewhat fun game. Nice graphics, good action, good controls. However, I am not impressed by the story. It is quite boring. The other thing I don't like is that the whole game is linear and scripted. So, you don't get much choice on what to do or where to go. It sometimes looks like an open world game, but once you start playing you realize that you are on a patch and theThis is a somewhat fun game. Nice graphics, good action, good controls. However, I am not impressed by the story. It is quite boring. The other thing I don't like is that the whole game is linear and scripted. So, you don't get much choice on what to do or where to go. It sometimes looks like an open world game, but once you start playing you realize that you are on a patch and the game won't let you go any other way... Fans of the series will probably like it, but I will just complete it and move on! Expand
  24. Jun 14, 2013
    Pros: Beautiful graphics. Skylines were fun. Vigors were fun to use. Story was good, and Elizabeth was a great character.
    Cons: Repetitive and formulaic gameplay. The world isn't really "living and breathing" outside of the first part of the game. The Boss Fight. The game is ridiculously easy. Did I mention the Boss Fight?
  25. Dec 26, 2013
    Meh, I didn't like this game as much as I hoped I would. The story was really confusing and I didn't like ending. I'm one of the people who couldn't wait to finish this game and I am very glad it was a short one, only 15 hours.
    I did enjoy the help from Elizabeth, she was sweet and I began to get quite fond of her but every other character in the story had limited appeal. It wasn't a game I felt immersed or invested in. Lots of copy and pasted people too. Lazy. Not sure why the big hype but my husband said he loved it so there you go, different strokes for different folks.
  26. Apr 18, 2013
    The Bad: DON'T think too hard about the plot or you WILL be disappointed! They throw out so many interesting plot threads and potentially deep societal commentary that it draws you in. I was hooked! I had to know what happens! Then what could have been woven into a fine tapestry turned into a couple of threads hot glued together at the end. It became a job just to finish the thing onceThe Bad: DON'T think too hard about the plot or you WILL be disappointed! They throw out so many interesting plot threads and potentially deep societal commentary that it draws you in. I was hooked! I had to know what happens! Then what could have been woven into a fine tapestry turned into a couple of threads hot glued together at the end. It became a job just to finish the thing once this dawned on me.

The Vigors seem a little unbalanced and you are likely to only focus on a few.

NO HACKING! None.

The Gear you find, which doubles as your customizable character traits,  is completely randomized. If you reload a checkpoint, the item changes. (This could be good or bad really.)

The Good:

The Art design is fantastic! Most areas have something new to look at and explore and even the disturbing areas can be visually appealing. It feels like the art took up most of the games budget and it shows. Very memorable visuals around almost every corner, some are subtle, so stop and take it in!

Combat, especially when leaping on and off the rails into melee, is often quite a lot of fun. You'll almost never run out of ammo or Salts once you join up with Elizabeth.

They did very good research on the era they are portraying. From the dialect to the billboard adds, it really feels like you’re in the early 1900s. (Minus the floating city aspect. lol.)

Bottom-line:

A deeply flawed and over hyped game that really did try to tell a good story, but ends up a frustrating and empty mess of a plot with great visuals and decent game play.
  27. Apr 1, 2013
    When I read all those positive reviews I kinda wonder whether I played the same game. Handling guns feels better than in first two Bioshck games, since they are powerful, accurate and (thank god) you can actually turn off the mouse acceleration in the settings. Combat overall is more streamlined (=simplified) experience, but feels right nontheless. Elizabeth is one of the greatest npcWhen I read all those positive reviews I kinda wonder whether I played the same game. Handling guns feels better than in first two Bioshck games, since they are powerful, accurate and (thank god) you can actually turn off the mouse acceleration in the settings. Combat overall is more streamlined (=simplified) experience, but feels right nontheless. Elizabeth is one of the greatest npc companions to be seen in fps game.
    On the other hand, overal graphical detail is a joke and although from artistical perspective can be sometimes beautiful, Columbia simply wasn't my thing. Main problem I have with the game (besides the absolutely ridiculous hype it somehow managed to create) is how the story fits into the game. It doesn't. Almost all of it (the important parts anyways) is stuffed to the last few chapters and how much sense it will make depends solely on how many hints you manage to find on your way there. That is simply not how storytelling is supposed to work, not to meniton the comlete lack of choice have in it. Were the gameplay and story in some sort of balance, resulting game would be about the third of its size at best. The storytelling is just terrible and it makes the story look way more complex than it really is and that's probably what generates all the hype. The story itself is pretty intereting and somewhat complex and would've made for a great movie, but the way it is told here is just sad and it hardly supports any actual gameplay.
  28. Apr 5, 2013
    I've played system shock 2, Bioshock, and Bioshock 2 before ever touching or hearing about this game. I played on normal first. I am still replaying it on 1999 mode, as I didn't know about the unlock code. I found the combat to be somewhat bland and boring compared to the previous Bioshock titles. However the control over the mouse and movement is better, it doesn't feel like there wasI've played system shock 2, Bioshock, and Bioshock 2 before ever touching or hearing about this game. I played on normal first. I am still replaying it on 1999 mode, as I didn't know about the unlock code. I found the combat to be somewhat bland and boring compared to the previous Bioshock titles. However the control over the mouse and movement is better, it doesn't feel like there was any mouse acceleration this time around. The story was IMO terrible, they obviously had the rush a release as the ending was contrived BS, a cop-out as they couldn't think of and actual closing to the game. 1999 mode has made the game much more enjoyable for me and I find myself getting stuck in some combat sections, that's a POSITIVE thing for me. Overall I'd give the game a 6.5. Combat isn't super good, story is terrible. Do not pay full price for this, wait til it's cheaper. Expand
  29. Apr 30, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a fine example of quality game-making. The mechanics are smooth, the story is (mostly) well told, the world is immersive and the sound design is some of the best in the industry. However, I have a number of problems with the game as a whole.
    First and foremost, the game is almost fatally repetitive. It is a strange thing because games are, by their very nature, a repetitious art-form, but Infinite has this weird quality about it where you can't help but feel like you're just being pulled along from one firefight to the other. The original Bioshock had a very palpable sense of tension and survival to it. The player got a real sense that the inhabitants of Rapture were universally hostile and bent on killing anything that was foreign to their territory. In Bioshock Infinite, enemies just sort of show up out of nowhere in little waves and start shooting you, over, and over, and over, and over again.
    Bioshock Infinite is also ridiculously easy. I played through the game on Normal and only ran into one instance where I died more than once, and this instance was the final boss-fight. Bioshock had a much stronger emphasis on the importance of looting and resource management. I remember constantly having to juggle between weapons in that game because at any given moment half of them would be out of ammo and I would have to make due with what I currently had. Money was also much more scarce. Conversely, I was practically tripping over money and resources in Infinite. I believe I beat the game with over $6,000 in my wallet and therefore I never even came close to running out of ammo or health. I know that there is the infamous 1999 mode, but Normal difficulty should still pose more of a challenge than that.
    Another issue I have is with the vigors, in that they seem totally arbitrary within the world of Columbia. Now, a friend pointed out to me that they seem to be more of a new thing to Columbia and that is why only a select few (the crow and fire men) have them, but it's still strange to play a bioshock game where vigors, for all intents and purposes, add NOTHING to the plot whatsoever. Plasmids and Adam were essential to the plot of Bioshock and now here are vigors, which are the exact same thing only this time they don't have a reason for being in the world aside from "well, it's a Bioshock game." Another strange thing about the vigors is that I was constantly forgetting to even use them. This isn't to say that they're totally ineffective, but the plasmids in Bioshock were ESSENTIAL to one's survival, whereas here I found that I was getting along just fine most of the time with just capping enemies off with my carbine, at which point I would realize I was incredibly bored and then I would remember "Oh yeah, I can set people on fire."
    Lastly, if you ever take the time to stop and look at anything in Bioshock Infinite closely, you will see that it all looks hideous. Bioshock Infinite is plagued by muddy, low-res textures that the gorgeous lighting effects strain to make up for but never quite do. I have a hard time believing that the game is "too big" for better textures because Far Cry 3 looks generally marvelous and that game has a hell of a lot more to render at any given time than Infinite could ever dream of.
    After all of this, the game is still worth playing and it's actually quite brilliant in small doses. I have issues with the story as well, but I don't want to write a spoiler-y review. Just know that if you take a good, honest look at Bioshock Infinite, you probably won't find the revolutionary, generation-defining masterpiece that everyone is heralding it as. We already got that game and it was just called "Bioshock."
  30. Apr 16, 2013
    Story Great. Graphics Amazing. Gameplay Below average. Annoying Quirks Many.

Story Great. Graphics Amazing. Gameplay Below average. Annoying Quirks Many.

So yes this is over-hyped. A 95 on metacritic say what? It deserves an 85 tops. The story is really good and the cut scenes are riveting. The voice acting is also excellent. But the overall action is not good enough, especially in 2013. I played through on the Hard setting piece of cake except for the Boss scenes which were impossible. On the Medium setting the enemies were a joke. Scrounging around for ammo and health is a PITA. Searching every corpse and desk...yawn. There just isn't much in the PC FPS category right now. Save your money. Me, I'm waiting for the HL2 final episode.
  31. Mar 14, 2017
    Bioshock Infinite is a mixed bag. It tells a story well (even though the end doesn't really make sense) and it has strong and well unified creative direction. Its themes of prejudice, class struggles, religious cultism and philosophical paradoxes are presented in a powerful and compelling way, without contradictions and with respect for the audience's intelligence. However, as I played IBioshock Infinite is a mixed bag. It tells a story well (even though the end doesn't really make sense) and it has strong and well unified creative direction. Its themes of prejudice, class struggles, religious cultism and philosophical paradoxes are presented in a powerful and compelling way, without contradictions and with respect for the audience's intelligence. However, as I played I found myself wishing for the game to be more like an RPG, and exploring diverging paths and C&C instead of a railroaded story. I also wished the game play were less of a gamey and saccharine shooter and more subtle and realistic. There is something off key about dropping and reacquiring the same set of half dozen weapons and then firing them at the same mechanized clowns I had to repeatedly gun down. The action in this game almost reminded me of being in a pin ball machine. It's glitzy, shallow and just a bit nauseating. While I like the game for the current price, I don't think I'll replay it. Expand
  32. Apr 3, 2013
    10 for originality. 8 for story. 7 for interesting tear and vigor. 5 for overall combat fun. The combat is fun the first few times. Though as game goes on, the combat design got lazy. Bigger enemies start to become plain invincible to most of your abilities, which means gameplay actually devolve into shoot-n-run-to-cover just like COD. 4 for over-hyped Elizabeth which is actually10 for originality. 8 for story. 7 for interesting tear and vigor. 5 for overall combat fun. The combat is fun the first few times. Though as game goes on, the combat design got lazy. Bigger enemies start to become plain invincible to most of your abilities, which means gameplay actually devolve into shoot-n-run-to-cover just like COD. 4 for over-hyped Elizabeth which is actually just scripted banter and cutscenes, and close to zero interactivity. I felt more connected to Bioware characters. Expand
  33. Apr 5, 2013
    Infinite is a competent action game with a layered story and good art design. The introduction is incredible. It leads the player into the sky city of Columbia, and has them experience gameplay mechanics through sideshows. Elizabeth is, of course, a pretty good character. She is not without faults though, including an obsession with coins and the ability to go invincible whenever there isInfinite is a competent action game with a layered story and good art design. The introduction is incredible. It leads the player into the sky city of Columbia, and has them experience gameplay mechanics through sideshows. Elizabeth is, of course, a pretty good character. She is not without faults though, including an obsession with coins and the ability to go invincible whenever there is combat. Elizabeth babysits the player, rather than the other way around, as she throws you ammo and health when the game decides you could use a hand out.

The core of the game is shooting and action. You’ll be unleashing Vigors (Plasmids) left and right. Sky-lines are decent fun to zip around on, but are not used in enough encounters. It’s actually quite a linear shooter against pretty bland enemies. Larger levels take away a lot of intimate qualities of the series. I really miss the Splicers from the first two BioShock games.

Handymen are basically scripted mini bosses, they show up when the game designer decides they should. They appear about 4 times and aren’t interwoven into the game like Big Daddies. You certainly don’t get the opportunity to pick when to engage. Elizabeth yells “Handyman” and the game is on. The Songbird is barely worth a mention. It basically only appears in cut scenes and cannot hurt the player.

Disappointingly, for a BioShock game, there are no significant changes to the world based on moral choices. The world shuffles you down a narrow path with side rooms and dull voxaphones. I rarely felt compelled to explore the world of Columbia but there are some decent audio logs near the end. The save system is incredibly disappointing. Checkpoint saves are bad!

The game loses focus during the middle. It’s clear they intended for these bits to be a demonstration of what they try to explain at the end. However, I lost all care for the world of Columbia after some annoying backtracking. I wasn’t invested in the world and could have done without the Call of Duty scenes. The game would have achieved something greater if it stuck to a more grounded Columbia shown in the intro.
  34. Apr 4, 2013
    I find this game pretty boring and PC version is full of gamebreaking bugs. Twice the game has been impossible to continue in without redoing an entire level due to zero bug testing during development it seems.
    Sometimes Elizabeth just stands there instead of doing what she is supposed to and even resetting the checkpoint doesn't allow you to continue past this point.
    If devs are going
    If devs are going to continue to release such shoddy products i am amazed it can get such a high review score.
  35. Apr 13, 2013
    Meh. Overrated on mere graphics alone. Yes, yes, yes. We know the "critics" believe it's a "masterpiece", but the vigor's are pointless, the weapon combat is repetitive, and the incessant searching to purchase upgrades is nonsense.
  36. Apr 24, 2014
    The good, the game has probably the best atmosphere I've ever experienced in a game. Certain parts of the game just ooze ambiance and you can tell that the people at Irrational gave total thought into every single set piece that was placed. The game has probably the best environment I've ever seen in a game and its' pretty much the sole reason the game gets a 6. The atmosphere is topThe good, the game has probably the best atmosphere I've ever experienced in a game. Certain parts of the game just ooze ambiance and you can tell that the people at Irrational gave total thought into every single set piece that was placed. The game has probably the best environment I've ever seen in a game and its' pretty much the sole reason the game gets a 6. The atmosphere is top notch and you literally can't help but not be awed by the sight of Columbia. The bad, well it has this great atmosphere in a floating city but for most of the game you're exploring confined spaces. In all 8 hours I played in only a ten second span, did I feel like I was in a floating city. This was when the PC had to traverse a ledge to get to another point in the area. Another problem, the game uses checkpoints to save your game. The game prizes itself on exploration to flesh out the world through audio and visual diaries, such as Bioshock 1 and 2 yet at times I noted myself having thirty minutes between saves due to me exploring. I found myself rushing exploring just because I had to go to work or school. Another problem, there's not much variation in enemies or is there much of a challenge. The most challenging enemy called a, "Handyman," is only encountered around six or seven times and its' the only time you'll ever encounter a challenge. The gameplay is distinctly average, which is a shame. The game shares problem with third person shooters, in that it they telegraph where fighting will occur. The vigors also feel like direct rip offs from Bioshock 1 & 2 yet are harder to aim. The games story is decent, but the foreshadowing is literally jammed down your throat. and not only that but its' confusing as hell towards the end and makes no sense. I paid $7.50 for the game and it took ~8 hours. Overall the game's decent but don't expect the second coming of first person shooters. Expand
  37. Jul 12, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a good single player shooter that's worth one playthrough. After that, well... you're going to have to like it a LOT to go through it again. The main draws are the story and setting which are respectively interesting and gorgeous, though the former is rather heavy-handed with its handling of racism. Gameplay wise Infinite is similar to previous Bioshocks and otherBioshock Infinite is a good single player shooter that's worth one playthrough. After that, well... you're going to have to like it a LOT to go through it again. The main draws are the story and setting which are respectively interesting and gorgeous, though the former is rather heavy-handed with its handling of racism. Gameplay wise Infinite is similar to previous Bioshocks and other FPS, but never manages to be more than average. The combat isn't particularly difficult even with 1999 mode engaged, and the vigors and weapons are rather boring. One thing I found myself really missing was the visual representation of weapon upgrades. I bought Infinite on sale for $30, which is probably the high end of what I'd consider to be a good price wait for it to go to $20 before you consider buying. Expand
  38. Jun 21, 2013
    Is it left wing propaganda? yes. Ken Levine has admitted so. google it. Is it a great game? well, the ending is fun, cinematic, and unexpected. The rest of the game is kind of first person standard fare: pistol, machine gun, shot gun, rocket launcher, a few spells (vigors)... you have played this game before.... its just got an interesting story and is a "critique of right wingIs it left wing propaganda? yes. Ken Levine has admitted so. google it. Is it a great game? well, the ending is fun, cinematic, and unexpected. The rest of the game is kind of first person standard fare: pistol, machine gun, shot gun, rocket launcher, a few spells (vigors)... you have played this game before.... its just got an interesting story and is a "critique of right wing politics" to quote Ken Levine... Expand
  39. May 3, 2013
    This is Bioshock only so far as it has clunky shooting mechanics, is full of moral ambiguity, and makes heavy reference to a historical period. That is the end of the resemblance. Level design is linear and frightfully dull. None of the weapons is actually satisfying to use. The story is multi-layered and imaginative, but simply falls flat in regards to making the player interested orThis is Bioshock only so far as it has clunky shooting mechanics, is full of moral ambiguity, and makes heavy reference to a historical period. That is the end of the resemblance. Level design is linear and frightfully dull. None of the weapons is actually satisfying to use. The story is multi-layered and imaginative, but simply falls flat in regards to making the player interested or invested in anything. Original Bioshock was weird, scary, and immersive; this is just weird.

Orignal Bioshock, I remember several instances where I felt motivated to plan out an assault; where and how am I going to engage these guys? This Bioshock; "there are some guys, I'm going to shoot them. If they shoot me, I will hide behind this corner here, wait until they stop shooting, then pop out and shoot them some more. Then I will loot their corpses and eat a can of beans."

Pros; a couple of interesting complex fights utilizing multiple levels and choices of which structure you'll have Elizabeth "warp" into existence. Attractive environments.

Bottom line: It is attractive and the artwork is very imaginative, but it simply isn't fun to play.
  40. Mar 29, 2013
    Yeah, umm... what on earth is going on with everybody? This game is OK, but nowhere near a masterpiece or without its flaws. To sum it up, you travel from point A to point B while viewing amazing scenery, shooting the occasional bad guys with mediocre gunplay, and waste time looting those GODDAMN STUPID BOXES/CANS/BINS/WHATNOT FULL OF WORTHLESS What a way to slowdown the actualYeah, umm... what on earth is going on with everybody? This game is OK, but nowhere near a masterpiece or without its flaws. To sum it up, you travel from point A to point B while viewing amazing scenery, shooting the occasional bad guys with mediocre gunplay, and waste time looting those GODDAMN STUPID BOXES/CANS/BINS/WHATNOT FULL OF WORTHLESS What a way to slowdown the actual progress... Now I'm all for exploration and slow&high tension gameplay, but it's really distracting when you have to stop every few feet to open another garbage can, and find the same reward of a few coins and an apple. If you're an obsessive collector like me and/or would like to get the money required for the vast amount of upgrades the game offers, of course you have to search every nook and cranny and coincidentally impair the enjoyment. A stupid, stupid design decision from the creators... I don't like it one bit. However, all this said, the game does have its highlights. Apart from having an interesting story and world, so far I've come across to one of the best chase scenes in gaming history (that I can recall anyway). The music and SFX are topnotch, overall and particularly in this scene. Expand
  41. Mar 29, 2013
    Pretty mediocre. The gameplay is generally boring, the enemies are stupid, the "vigors" (read: plasmids) are often interchangeable (3 out of the total 8 can be summarized as "stun") and there is far too few of them, and the skylines are a gimmick. The graphics and the level design are neat-o, but graphics don't make a game. The story failed to grip me, perhaps because it is full of clichesPretty mediocre. The gameplay is generally boring, the enemies are stupid, the "vigors" (read: plasmids) are often interchangeable (3 out of the total 8 can be summarized as "stun") and there is far too few of them, and the skylines are a gimmick. The graphics and the level design are neat-o, but graphics don't make a game. The story failed to grip me, perhaps because it is full of cliches or because I was already bemused by the other lackluster parts of the game. Expand
  42. May 6, 2013
    I found this game, sometimes amazing and sometimes just an average shooter. The difficultly level seemed not to be stable. I played the game at "hard" setting and found it a challenge, but every entertaining until I fought the "bosses" eg. lady Comstock and all of the sudden it became impossible to pass! and had to lower the level to "normal". Graphics were very well done, as were soundI found this game, sometimes amazing and sometimes just an average shooter. The difficultly level seemed not to be stable. I played the game at "hard" setting and found it a challenge, but every entertaining until I fought the "bosses" eg. lady Comstock and all of the sudden it became impossible to pass! and had to lower the level to "normal". Graphics were very well done, as were sound and the music.
    Overall I found this game entertaining and interesting, but as a whole. I am giving this game a 7 out of 10.
  43. Mar 26, 2013
    Well I can start by saying. It is a very unique and artistic setting. The visuals are great. To be quite honest it isn't as good as the game deserves. I found it too be a run and gun. The enemies were not that exciting and the game itself was very easy. Gameplay hours ran me about 6 hours in total. In terms of gameplay itself the only unique thing about it was the skyline which was fun toWell I can start by saying. It is a very unique and artistic setting. The visuals are great. To be quite honest it isn't as good as the game deserves. I found it too be a run and gun. The enemies were not that exciting and the game itself was very easy. Gameplay hours ran me about 6 hours in total. In terms of gameplay itself the only unique thing about it was the skyline which was fun to use. The rest of the game itself just didn't feel that great. Looking out in the distance and looking at the view and the world that they created was awesome. One thing to expect is repetitive gameplay. You will find all the missions to be the same. You will be running from map to map running and gunning. There were no unique quests. Even after finishing I felt as if it was extremely liner and have no desire to return to this game. The only thing this game has for it was its super awesome voice acting and its stunning visuals. The skyline added a very unique system but it was a bit disappointing. All in all I gotta rate this game a 6.5/10. Due to the weird plot twists, uninteresting enemies, repetitive gameplay. If this game would improve its maps. Making everything more like its original. This game would easily make my top of the list. It all came down to its average gameplay and linear story. The game was incredibly easy. I toned it up to hard and still found my self sprinting through the game. Expand
  44. Apr 21, 2013
    Utterly gorgeous, but way too glitchy. First the controls were defaulted to XBox 360 and mouse/keyboard simply didn't work (I just spun in place). Once I google'd that problem down I ended up hitting another glitch in the carnival games entirely unable to continue this is only a few minutes in to the game, so I'm calling the rest of it as not worth trying.
  45. Jul 13, 2013
    While benefitting from a gorgeous aesthetic design, a top-notch opening and some great voice acting, Bioshock Infinite is a deeply flawed entry in the 'Shock' series, and possibly the weakest thus far. Carrying over the basic gameplay from Bioshock, Infinite suffers from a shallow combat system that is both overlong and out-of-sync with the story & characters. Whereas both System Shock 2While benefitting from a gorgeous aesthetic design, a top-notch opening and some great voice acting, Bioshock Infinite is a deeply flawed entry in the 'Shock' series, and possibly the weakest thus far. Carrying over the basic gameplay from Bioshock, Infinite suffers from a shallow combat system that is both overlong and out-of-sync with the story & characters. Whereas both System Shock 2 and Bioshock were set in dystopian, ruined cities, Infinite is set on the still-functioning city of Columbia; this makes the scavenging mechanic seem oddly contrary to how the city is painted during the opening, as do the "vigors" that take the place of Psy powers and plasmids but add nothing meaningful to the world or the people inhabiting it. The story itself is fairly well-presented and has an exceptional opening and a satisfying conclusion (a first for a shock game) but loses momentum and becomes a slog in the middle. Overall, Bioshock Infinite is a decent game with a good story that could've been vastly improved if it were a new IP rather than trying to be another shock game. [7.4] Expand
  46. Apr 10, 2013
    An immense world with gothic buildings and very nice artwork stuff with hype and a boring story. After a few hours you'll realize that that's all there is it to is a laggy fps with absolutely no interest. I never finished the game so I dont know how the ending is. The rest was nice but boring.
  47. Apr 3, 2013
    Wasn't what I was hoping it would be. Would've been better if everyone was a lunatic like in the other bioshock's. The NPC act like drones no character to them. Also I HATE SIDE KICKS! I don't know why this side kick was necessary. Was some survey taken and 9 out of 10 boy scouts agreed that side kicks are awesome? At least this side kick isn't constantly trying to kill itself.Wasn't what I was hoping it would be. Would've been better if everyone was a lunatic like in the other bioshock's. The NPC act like drones no character to them. Also I HATE SIDE KICKS! I don't know why this side kick was necessary. Was some survey taken and 9 out of 10 boy scouts agreed that side kicks are awesome? At least this side kick isn't constantly trying to kill itself. Would've been better if you could've told the side kick to back off or stay here or go away Ill call you if I think I need a side kick. Expand
  48. May 17, 2013
    BIOSHOCK INFINITE gives you far fetched plot, so so gameplay, good art style combined with some unbelievably bad textures.
    Overall, just a mediocre game with stunning art style. A must buy but absolutely overrated.
  49. Jul 27, 2013
    A disappointing game, although that is somewhat expected. I've come to expect the content and gameplay concepts of pre-release gameplay demos and trailers to not be present in the game.

To start off, the story is above average. The storytelling is below average. The concepts behind the story are intriguing, and also link back to the previous games. The depth of the story through the game's backstory, which is often shown through audio logs, or "voxophones", lets you piece together the story, and helps with the eventual "epiphany" at the end of the game, as if the game was some sort of mystery/corridor shooter where you get thrown information, and while you are trying to figure this out, the game continues to tease you with the fact that there is going to be some sort of twist at a later part of the story. However, the fact is that you cannot figure it out until the twist, and the fact that you expect the twist for the majority of the game. Unlike the previous games and also many other works of fiction, the content of the twist itself may be a complete surprise, but the existence of the twist is completely expected, so instead of truly being surprised by the twist because it's so unexpected that you had never even thought of there being a twist, or that the twist was what it was, you simply think "Oh, so that's the twist.". Other works of fiction have genuinely surprising twists in both aspects of a twist that I have mentioned, for example in the first Bioshock. The twist(s) in that game come as a complete surprise, and are much more well done.

In terms of the story through characters, the characters themselves have a decent degree of depth to them, but every character in the game simply seems flat and uninteresting. Even Elizabeth, a companion that you spend time with throughout much of the game, seems completely uninteresting. I found that I barely gave a damn about her until the closing parts of the game. There simply is not enough character development and interaction. Elizabeth speaks occasionally throughout the entire game, and the conversations between Elizabeth and Booker are simply short and meaningless. Their attitudes towards each other seem quite static at times, and even when they seem to suddenly change, they immediately change back and you are left asking yourself "What the hell was all that about?". This is essentially the same with all major characters as well, they are simply 2D characters that do the things they do simply because, and they stay the same way. Elizabeth essentially felt like some sort of AI pet who just follows me around and serves as an extension of my will. If Booker was given the power of opening tears, picking locks, and randomly finding ammunition, health, and salts in the middle of nowhere and Elizabeth simply followed me around, it would have been the exact same experience. With literally every single other character in the game, whether it be a major character or not, there simply is not actual interaction except for a few lines of scripted events and dialogue here and there. Whatever miniscule amount of interaction you have with those characters seems to have no repercussions, and whatever it is that you do, you'll simply not give a damn and forget about it. The E3 gameplay demo for Bioshock Infinite had more character development that the actual game (excluding the ending and twist).

Now the gameplay is nothing shabby, but it really isn't anything amazing either. Based off of the early E3 gameplay demos and gameplay details, the gameplay had such great potential. However, the actual result was essentially the opposite of what was shown and expected. Levels were "massive", but closed and segregated. A level was essentially divided into tiny little section. You can only ever choose to be extremely aggressive and militant, as hostile attention will always be drawn to you no matter what you do. The skylines are mostly pointless decoration that is limited to what is essentially a total area of 20 meters cubed that you can completely play without other than a few parts of the game where you simply must use them to reach point B from point A. Most of them also do not make any sense in an actual logical manner, as if they were placed there just so Booker can swing around and fight on them if he wants, and not because the city planners thought it would be of actual use, which it seemed to have been in the early parts of the game. Miniscule gameplay elements like the gate-lifting, stealing, powering machines with the shock jockey, and so on are introduced in the beginning and then completely forgotten, never to be seen again. And the only vigor that enemies use are the Devil's Kiss by the firemen and the shock jockey by a single mid-game boss. Oh, and vigors are useless.

I could go on, but the character limit won't let me. However, I definitely believe that Bioshock infinite is simply a highly overrated game that is just disappointingly mediocre.
  50. Apr 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game-play was all repetitive. The same enemies, just repeated, the same goddamn tactics being repeated too. Honestly its a shame that they didn't use those enemies in the art-book; perhaps it would had made it more interesting. The vigor powers basically did similar things: They lay traps (some bigger and more lasting) or attacked directly (some with a bigger range and blast). Only 3 of them did a drastically different thing. There was really no need for all them, frankly some of them where useless in the heat of a battle. I did however pretty much used them all at some point. If I was the developer I would had spent more time planning and implementing the vigors.

The only way to gain an upgrade is to pay for it and the machine. To get money you have to search through bodies, trash cans, desks etc. but wait... they tried to make you think! They include items that take can take away your health or take away something and give you something back. However I really didn't care, I was just spamming [F] all over the environment because I just wanted to get all the gold. I never ever did not take something, I always took everything because I just was not bothered. Its like the system was broken; Its like they tried to make an mechanic more interesting but ultimately failed at it. Perhaps upgrading should had happened through other means?

During the game I was careful not to kill civilians; thinking that It would have some out come later in the game, but I couldn't be more wrong; the game couldn't care less and frankly you would be better off killing them for loot.

I also think that they were too few guns for the scope and longevity of the game. Perhaps they should had also invented some of their own instead of relying on real life ones. They had the classic shotgun, the classic sniper, the machine gun etc. They should had added some fantasy to it in-order to keep it interesting. They already have quantum physics, flying cities multiple dimensions and yet they don't have a quantum gun or some weird stuff like that. After a few hours you get bored of using the same things over and over again.

After a few hours I found myself playing it just to complete it; I really wanted to know how the story ends. I didn't really find the game fun anymore; I got bored of the same mechanics, the same enemies being used.

Boss fights are just more powerful enemies (why couldn't they design something more unique for the occasion?). The only potentially good boss-fight was the bird; but Instead Elizabeth decides to kill it for you. Perhaps they should had turned Comstock into boss fight; considering Comstock is Booker and considering he has access to some impressive technology, he could had held a good fight (even though hes an old man) but that would go against him being a "holly" man.

Instead of having a final boss, the game decides to give you a defend your Zeppelin reactor (em tower defense), which for some reason Comstock thought it was a good idea to locate it on top of his ship, so that it is easy to hit by his enemies (though if I was the enemy I would probably just not even bother with going on board and just blow it up from far).

There is no true exploration, its just a singular path for most of the time. To make it more interesting they thrown in a key fetch quest (Elizabeth suddenly forgot how pick-lock an ordinary looking lock).

The game is probably one of the most repetitive games I've played lately. Its not a game that deserves a score of 9/10 or 10/10 its a game that deserves a score of 6/10, 7/10. It just that this game doesn't really bring anything new to the table, its all been done before, and whatever it does it does it in cycles and cycles. Apart from the production values, the score, and the thought evoking game ending (though the story could had been explained better) there isn't nothing really to it Its like they were trying hard to be like Hollywood but they forget to make sure the game-play remains interesting and fun though out all the adventure and not only for the first few hours.
  51. Apr 4, 2013
    Gameplay: Bioshock Infinite's combat is so dumbed down it reflects the state of the gaming industry; remove content out and people will claim it to be a masterpiece. There is so much missing that it can hardly be called a Bioshock game, shame on Irrational games to limit the amount of weapons to a disgraceful two, shame on 2k for reducing plasmids from 13 to 8 as well as copying andGameplay: Bioshock Infinite's combat is so dumbed down it reflects the state of the gaming industry; remove content out and people will claim it to be a masterpiece. There is so much missing that it can hardly be called a Bioshock game, shame on Irrational games to limit the amount of weapons to a disgraceful two, shame on 2k for reducing plasmids from 13 to 8 as well as copying and pasting them all from Bioshock with essentially reskinning. Liked passive gene tonics? You won't like this game, because they made a huge leap backwards from a total of 24 to just 4. The 'tears' are limited to and only limited to combat: Ammo, Med-kits, Ground Turret, Flight Turret, Cover and Grappling hook. What did Infinite do right with combat? Simply the sky-rails and handymen fights; too bad there are a gran total of 7 of them throughout the 12 hour game.

The story: Convoluted complemented with unmotivated characters. Elizabeth is such a forgettable character I had trouble remembering it writing this review, don't center your game's story around a generic Disney princess and invoking emotion for the sake of invoking emotion. The racism debacle has now spread from books to games, it's refreshing to have a game that treads unsteady ground for once, however like in literature the 'Racism is bad' theme gets redundant and deprives from the main story. The ending is great regardless of what anyone has told you, maybe rushed, but It is defiantly interesting.

The visuals: Running on Unreal Engine 3, Irrational managed to make everything not look like plastic. Visual fidelity is fantastic but the city of Columbia is so forgettable where as Rapture was a hand-crafted marvel. The centerpieces and design choices are nothing new, the steam punk fad has been around, Columbia is not a new or interesting concept considering the explanation is just 'Science Because'.

In the end I didn't dislike this game because it was a jumbled up mess, utterly terrible and I had spend 60 USD on it, I dislike it because it's just so mediocre, It's not a great game that makes me exited to find out what happens next, and it's not a bad game that I can laugh and poke fun at, it's in the uncanny valley of video game development along-side Call of Duty and recent Bioware games.
  52. Apr 18, 2013
    It's a good game, but vastly over rated. People claiming that this is game of the year, 10 out of 10... give me a break. The story is fantastic, the presentation is eye candy and the combat is fun... that's about it. My main concern is the lack of content in the game compared to other action adventure games out today: single player is too short, few types of weapons/abilities, no varietyIt's a good game, but vastly over rated. People claiming that this is game of the year, 10 out of 10... give me a break. The story is fantastic, the presentation is eye candy and the combat is fun... that's about it. My main concern is the lack of content in the game compared to other action adventure games out today: single player is too short, few types of weapons/abilities, no variety of enemies and just not a lot of things to explore(I explored every corner and opened most locked doors). The movie clips you find throughout Columbia are just lackluster and pointless. It tries to add to the story, but it's just a lazy addition that most people just end up skipping.

People are going to argue that the story is so amazing that it compensates for the lack of content, but it's a video game... not a book. Of course you have to take into a count the contents. Honestly this game seems much more simplified compared to the other Bioshock games. And of course like most game developers today they are going to charge people for extra content in DLCs instead of putting it in the base game. I would have gave this game a 8, but people are over rating it way too much.
  53. Apr 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock Infinite, building off the largely successful BioShock, and the repetitive Bioshock 2, failed to recapture the sense of wonder, interesting game play and engaging storyline of the original. Firmly placed in the "trying too hard" category, Bioshock Inifinte plays out like a mad mix of Fringe, Deadwood and Looper, except not anywhere near as balanced or well thought out as any of those. Then it was steeped in so much unrelatable Americana that it, for me, caused a disconnect between the the story and the player. The worst part, and that sounds overly dramatic, because it implies it was bad, when merely average is the result, is the combat, which, while technically well implemented, got so boring and uninteresting that I placed the game back down to Easy difficulty to just "get through it quicker", to see if it was going to go anywhere worthwhile, and it didn't, with easy-to-guess time travel results at the end, partly because a twist is expected and therefore everything is taken with a pinch of salt early on, partly because the story devolves so quickly, with such a strong desire to confuse, that it really only leaves one option left to explain it, and partly because the gameplay itself provided insufficient distraction from the story to allow the twist to remain more hidden.

Tehcnically, it's all well implemented, generally fine graphics, player controls are responsive and clear, good animations, nice textures, generally good aesthetics, stable with no crashing, with only one standout occasion of blatantly recycling a location for four fights, which was disappointing.
  54. Oct 17, 2013
    This game does average things well and good things bad. Let me explain. The developers have used some clever effects such as lighting to make the average and simple graphics on this game bright shiny and very polished looking. However after several hours an experienced gamer will see the graphics and textures for what they are, simple.
    So after you have finished marvelling at the shiny
    So after you have finished marvelling at the shiny graphics and started playing the game there is no escaping the fact that the game is extremely boring. The very imaginative setting is utterly wasted on a truly uninspiring
    storyline that would have goldilocks screaming about copy write violations.
    But the game is not a RGP it's a shooter I hear you say. Well it is a shooter but a very dull one at that. Let me tell you why. Head shots don't really count!!! Each bad guy has a read bar that needs to be depleted. There are about 2 usable weapons to choose from and every fight is essentially the same. You will always be fighting in a square surrounded by building or in a building which is roughly the same dimensions as the streets. You have 3 different types enemies to kill throughout the whole game.
    The AI is awful.
    This game has some good points but if you are looking for something more this game is not for you.
  55. Mar 26, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is the definition of mediocre. The combat is weak, the story is complete nonsense, the characters have no personality, the graphics are poor up close, the choices don't impact anything or anyone, it is the most linear game i have played in a long while and it feels more like a shooting gallery at times and the magic or whatever its called is not needed. It just tries toBioshock Infinite is the definition of mediocre. The combat is weak, the story is complete nonsense, the characters have no personality, the graphics are poor up close, the choices don't impact anything or anyone, it is the most linear game i have played in a long while and it feels more like a shooting gallery at times and the magic or whatever its called is not needed. It just tries to copy Call of Duty to much with its gameplay and fails miserably. The ending is the worst thing about the game because it retcons System Shock 1&2 and BioShock 1&2 and is just stupid. The world however looks nice and it is very detailed, only if you look at it from far away. I'm getting the idea that a lot of these "Reviewers" have finished the game. Plus the game is more of a "You should feel bad if you are a white person" kind of game.

Tl;dr Just buy any CoD4 or Half life 2 its basically the same but with more re-playability, strategy, creativity and mod-ability, better writing, better characters, memorable guns and Multilayer. On a side note, Hi "Irrational Games" marketers.
  56. Apr 7, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite definitely has its flaws. It's extremely linear, poor enemy AI, a seeming infinite amount of supplies and money from Elizabeth, enemies not very challenging (even on hard), and the game holds your hand the entire way through, it's too short, upgrades are virtually worthless, the waves of enemies & violence really detract from the violence, and there are numerous questionsBioshock Infinite definitely has its flaws. It's extremely linear, poor enemy AI, a seeming infinite amount of supplies and money from Elizabeth, enemies not very challenging (even on hard), and the game holds your hand the entire way through, it's too short, upgrades are virtually worthless, the waves of enemies & violence really detract from the violence, and there are numerous questions that are never addressed. However the game is so well done in terms of narrative and art that it really pulls you in, the characters are wonderfully scripted and the way Elizabeth runs ahead of you and makes these little comments made me impressed. The ending, of course, is also crazy.

The game is good, but not the best of a decade like I've seen it been called. Definitely over-hyped and not worth the 95 metacritic score. Though, it could be as others suggested, it's just the best out of recently mediocre releases.
  57. Apr 14, 2013
    Definitely not score 10 game. I finished it about 2 weeks ago and I do not remember anything special about it apart from the ending. To those ignorants who do not get the ending: some of in-game objects and phenomenons are based on quantum theories started by Einstein long time ago (read or google it, multiverse etc). With this knowledge, game is getting much more interesting. However itDefinitely not score 10 game. I finished it about 2 weeks ago and I do not remember anything special about it apart from the ending. To those ignorants who do not get the ending: some of in-game objects and phenomenons are based on quantum theories started by Einstein long time ago (read or google it, multiverse etc). With this knowledge, game is getting much more interesting. However it is not as good as Bioshock 1 and 2, it is step back in every aspect. Still a good game. Expand
  58. Sep 13, 2013
    Sadly not as enjoyable as the first two games, Infinite lacked the subtle story-telling of Bioshock 1+2 and went for a (literal at points) hand-holding approach. Underwhelming and easily forgettable, with forced characters, forced drama, 'threatening' situations are told to you, rather than an actual repercussions possible.

BioShock Infinite misses the magic of the first two games.
  59. Aug 30, 2013
    What so many people see in this game? I'm so disappointed based on all this hype I bought it,expected something fantastic, played for some hours, and... stopped. For me, that's a boring game, average,
    Yes, devs lost time and energy working on it and i respect their work. But these critics with scores of average 96... There must be something wrong with me, I guess...
  60. Apr 5, 2013
    First and foremost: This is a good game, i would say it borders on beeing a great game, but it has some shortcommings to it. Firstly the great stuff: Elizabeth is amazing, i fell in love with her character from the start and i dare say that she rivals Alyx Vance as my favorite female partner in any FPS game ever. Another super great thing about the game is the skylines, it makes combatFirst and foremost: This is a good game, i would say it borders on beeing a great game, but it has some shortcommings to it. Firstly the great stuff: Elizabeth is amazing, i fell in love with her character from the start and i dare say that she rivals Alyx Vance as my favorite female partner in any FPS game ever. Another super great thing about the game is the skylines, it makes combat intereseting and alive, the adition of Elizabeths powers also helps to enhance the combat. The good stuff: The combat is pretty good, "plasmids" are maybe not that diverce and weapons are a bit stock, but overall i enjoyed the battles in the game. The graphics are very nice, some textures made me cringe thou and even thou the atmosphere is preetty good it dosent come close to the feeling you get when playing the original bioshock. Speaking of which, lets go to the bad: They borrow (steal) to much from their own game. I get it, they are paying homage to the first game, but the whole introduction to the game is stolen (yes yes i know it all makes "sense" later), the UI is almost as stolen, the vending machines are stolen, its just all a bit to familliar and just makes sme wanna go on my underwater adventure in rapture. Speaking of rapture, columbia is a great place, but i never really got that "oh hey im in a big flying city!" shure there were clouds around me but i never really got to venture on any vertigo ensuing places. In the first game i was in this claustrophobic place with water all around me, atmosphere so thick you could cut it with a knife, i did not get that feeling at all in this game. Lastly the story, i get a feeling people who praise this game for its "deep and thought provoking story" are the same people who praised the movie Inception. I get what they tried to do, i just dont buy it, and instead of sitting with a satisfied grin on my face when the credits started to roll all i could think was: Where did i put my Bioshock DVD? Expand
  61. Apr 1, 2013
    An over-hyped piece of reductio ad absurdum with a deeply disappointing ending. This game does not deserve to be mentioned in the same conversation as the conclave of truly great games of this generation, of which the original Bioshock belongs, along with Skyrim, Fallout 3, etc. While the game does possess fun and interesting gameplay, the story is quite ridiculous and full of logicalAn over-hyped piece of reductio ad absurdum with a deeply disappointing ending. This game does not deserve to be mentioned in the same conversation as the conclave of truly great games of this generation, of which the original Bioshock belongs, along with Skyrim, Fallout 3, etc. While the game does possess fun and interesting gameplay, the story is quite ridiculous and full of logical paradoxes relating to time-travel and other possible worlds that cannot be reconciled. Interesting ambiance and fun gameplay are not enough to make up for the lipstick-on-a-pig of a story. A truly disappointing experience that could have been something worthy of the greatness unperceptive people are lavishing on it. Expand
  62. Mar 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. All right. I don't play many fps games recently as most of them are just military games which I have no interest in whatsoever. The only single player fps games I've played in recent 4 years were: MirrorsEdge which I lost interest to at around 3h in, HardReset which i still need to finish, Rage which glitched out on me in later part of the game and lost all my saves so i never bothered to go trough it again, Bioshock1 which shooting mechanics were very poor and never finished it, Portal& Half-Life Series which I actually finished all 4 games and expansions, and in last year I've played a lot of Blacklight and a bit of QuakeLive. Now you know where I'll be coming from, let's move on to the review. The story is basically another version of wizzard of oz. Unfortunately the mature subject matters that it speaks off feel unbaked, and the religion aspect just feel biased. It would be nice if instead of getting an opinionated answers, the game would create a questions and invite us in to conversation outside of the game. The characters were entertaining, thought somewhat inconsistent in their actions, behaving illogical at points. I guess I could just call those moment plot movers. However I did started to care about them in the second part of the game, and they were few moments that did touch me the whole bit in the future in the asylum where you're meeting up with old Elizabeth Elizabeth herself is animated really well, and I would even go as far as to say it's almost pixar quality. Shame that song bird is almost absent. I would have thought judging by early videos that I would have to fight that creature on few occasions, which would be a blast. Its story is also underwhelming.

The setting is something that is up to personal preferences and taste, but it did resonate with me a lot. I do like that surreal vibe, and to me it feel most visionary part of the game. It's dramatic and full of detail (playing on Ultra). It made me want to continue the game to see what else have the art team prepared. However due to the fact that it was made for consoles, there was no huge outdoors areas like the ones we have seen in the pitch videos, which is a real shame as everything does feel a bit narrow. Only in the final portion of the game you have a little bit of branching paths. The character design is very cool. While the outside areas feel very refreshing, the indoors do look like first game. Thought invisible walls were starting getting irritating after a while. A lot of people say that combat was simple, but I did find it a bit difficult, which maybe due to the controls, which are a bit of a mixed bag. Now, I did tweak them, and got used to them more in the second part of the game, but they did feel somewhat off. The KB layout was pretty weird. And the movement itself has got some issue, like I don't understand why I can reload while running, but why I can't start running while reloading. Also choice of press shift to run instead hold shift to run is beyond me. But the worst offender is the UI. So much for Ken Levin's talk in the interviews that they work hard to make pc version control good. To his credit thought the gun play was much tighter then original BS(but that's not pc specific feature). Guns themselves are not very distinguishable, giving me hard time to differentiate them, but they feel pretty good. I ended up just using arm cannon(or whatever it was called) and rpg, sometimes carabin. Didn't really seam like it matters much which gun i use anyway as long as i stick to short range/long range rule. The battles are pretty good but they really get better in the second portion of the game, in which the game start throwing at you a lot of different types of enemies at once. It did made my heart pumping faster. Also the rails are really cool addition to quickly navigate the environments and I found myself using them more and more with enjoyment. Also, as I mentioned in the beginning of this review, I didn't play much BS1 so for me upgrading was all right in this game. Also loot is everywhere and I know it is made to ocd your exploration, but not sure if it does favor to create better mood. Technically i had not much issues with the game, aside from one game breaking bug in the beginning ot the game at the festival. I love the soundtrack. Imagine industrial music played by string quartet and interpreted as it would be a movie soundtrack. Overall I had a blast with the game, but looking at it from the distance of several days, I can see that the game is slightly unfinished and It is a shame that I feel like console limitation hold it back from achieving the grander scale presented in the pitch videos that it could have had. Game would certainly benefit from more exploration, better variety of weapons, better structured story and character, more objective critique. and better pc controls. Game is really good but It could have been "smarter".
  63. Oct 1, 2013
    The graphics are absolutely stunning, controls are just fine, and I did not run into any major bugs. The storyline is also very good, and it is obvious the creators took the time and effort to create a premium game for the premium price it demanded. Problem is, that's where the game falls short it is not worth the premium price because there is no replay value. Extremely linear game play,The graphics are absolutely stunning, controls are just fine, and I did not run into any major bugs. The storyline is also very good, and it is obvious the creators took the time and effort to create a premium game for the premium price it demanded. Problem is, that's where the game falls short it is not worth the premium price because there is no replay value. Extremely linear game play, weak enemies and a short campaign made me want more. This game has been around long enough that the hype has died down considerably, and people have moved on so it is on sale quite often. Buy it then. Expand
  64. Mar 29, 2013
    Absolutely awful story and ending. It pretty much ruins the entire game. The gameplay is average and the graphics are not as good as Bioshocks (art wise). Wait for sale instead of blowing $60.
  65. Jun 17, 2013
    This game is very charming, and once you get to the end you feel a sense of aw and accomplishment. The story drags you around a lot and you have to think for yourself about what everything means, which is a good thing. This game does not have the charm the original Bioshock has, nor is it as fun, however it is still a rewarding experience. My experience with the game is that the combat isThis game is very charming, and once you get to the end you feel a sense of aw and accomplishment. The story drags you around a lot and you have to think for yourself about what everything means, which is a good thing. This game does not have the charm the original Bioshock has, nor is it as fun, however it is still a rewarding experience. My experience with the game is that the combat is a bit boring in some, not all, situations and that the combat is just filler between plot points. Playstation move was a lot of fun to play with and made combat a bit more interesting. Definitely a game worth playing, however it's fun factor is just a bit lacking. Expand
  66. Apr 6, 2013
    Solid FPS game. Fell prey to a few FPS tropes: vending machines selling weapons and upgrades in a utopian environment where only you are keeping the company in business (which was very laughable during the factory section when you see hundreds of them being prepared for shipment), long middle section that did very little to move the "storytelling" this game is getting the excessive hypeSolid FPS game. Fell prey to a few FPS tropes: vending machines selling weapons and upgrades in a utopian environment where only you are keeping the company in business (which was very laughable during the factory section when you see hundreds of them being prepared for shipment), long middle section that did very little to move the "storytelling" this game is getting the excessive hype for. Amazing start (first few levels until after the Elizabeth rescue) and a good solid effort at a disturbing twist ending.

As a personal note, I almost passed on this game because of the "liberal friendly" reputation it was getting in the press. I didn't care to drop sixty bucks to be preached to. I read another review which said that angle of the game was being misrepresented and that it was much more of an equal presentation of extremism tied in with historically accurate depictions of race relations and American culture in the early 1900s. I found this to be spot on. At one point the protagonist observes the only real difference between the Big Bad White Guy and Big Bad Community Leader is how you spell their names.

Rating of 7 out of 10
    1 point removed because it's at root just another first person shooter. No original gameplay mechanics.
    1 point removed because of the lack of compelling story throughout. The middle section drags.
    1 point removed because of the lazy vending machine insertion to service the upgrade mechanic required in FPS games with not respect to the surrounding "story and environment" the game is getting lauded for having.

Beyond those points, a solid fun 8-10 hours of gaming for an experienced gamer. 20 hours if you explore every nook and cranny.

And Elizabeth tossing crap at you is just funny.
  67. Apr 18, 2013
    logically i would put 9 out of 10 for this masterpiece, but all in all, i am in too much disappointment i'm a fan of the series. It began when I played the Bioshock2, following the first, and waiting years for sequel.
    So, i have waited for almost a month to buy this gem, held myself from reading spoilers from internet.
    Basically i'm astonished and amazed by the design of the levels, so
    Basically i'm astonished and amazed by the design of the levels, so much details. yet the atmosphere is somewhat bland. At first. i was expecting some kind of dark atmosphere, horror and mysterious city of Columbia a remedy of the first and the 2nd Bioshck, or some sort, but there isn't. Maybe, the story will develop there, so I thought. But following the story, there was no horror. no eerie feeling after bloodshed, while corpses piling up, but it was no new sight in games.

the gameplay, is somewhat linear, no revolution from the previous game. It's awesome though, the blast explosion, effect, the game engine works out wonderful. It expect us to experiment with variety of powers and guns. but encounters are predictable and filled with "meh, them again?" situation. walking through new levels, then suddenly music changes. enemies show up from nowhere. but none of the encounters really memorable nor exciting, not even the bossfight. The so called Vigors are scattered around the city, and stores, but none of the enemies using it, the AI have been given the variety of guns, but they only overwhelming when surrounding you. i'm expecting to fight the Songbird, but what just play the whistler and he will be your pet, i was like, "just damn".

the characters besides Elizabeth are not really memorable either, NPCs are copypasted here and there. Fitzroy really doesn't have strong appearance. NPC design models are good.not great. citizens are scripted to walk in predicted path, bump 'em and nothing happen. Elizabeth partially useful, yes she's pretty, i wont say stupid, but often blocking path in a narrow hallway.

the overall philosophy of the story is clever, complex, but morbid. the game is antagonizing an ultranationalist-racist-religious zealot character comstock. I dont feel sympathy to the antagonists, but not really empathy to Booker either. from the first playthrough, the game filled with insult, and not the kind of insult that funny to follow. then comes the use of physics references, e.g quantum mechanics. basically it's fine, most games using it. but the ending is on half part logical, and distressing as a whole. I already thought that elizabeth is Booker's daughter, the time she demonstrate the ability of tearing the energy barrier between harmonic universe. what if booker fall for her before the siphon destroyed? Booker will be, "Holy i almost f***d my own daughter". The game itself doesnt really describe the social connection between the two. In bioshock 2 eleanor called Atlas "big daddy" as Dad, and it describe the connection. but Bioshock infinite didn't. In the process of the play through we are expected to be attached emotionally to the game, to the story and atmosphere, to elizabeth, but in the end she drowned me so she could save some other billions universe i don't give a okay that's rich, but not satisfactory why games these days always wanted the player to kill himself? really? why?? as a religious and a physics major, the overall concept story in this game is a real troll. worse is, there was no alternate ending. I'd rather vouch for farcry 3 for "not killing my gilrfriend" moments.

overall, design is complex and uniqueness 8 points. combat 6. story 7. moral lesson -1.
  68. Jun 15, 2013
    Booker(protagonist) and Elizabeth(side-kick) are interesting characters. The Vigor’s are an interesting idea though severely under-powered initially. The guns are fun to use but the set pieces are tedious cover-based shooting galleries with the only challenge being that some enemies take more bullets to put down than others. Despite playing this on a PC I had to use a controller, the keyBooker(protagonist) and Elizabeth(side-kick) are interesting characters. The Vigor’s are an interesting idea though severely under-powered initially. The guns are fun to use but the set pieces are tedious cover-based shooting galleries with the only challenge being that some enemies take more bullets to put down than others. Despite playing this on a PC I had to use a controller, the key board lay-out defies logic and the mouse feels awful, no amount of tinkering with acceleration and sensitivity made the mouse a viable option. Like Tomb Raider I had to take a break when I walked into yet another room filled with waist high walls. The first hour or two are really interesting and immersive but the action is tedious. I haven’t bothered to finish the game. 5/10 for some fun in Columbia with Booker and Elizabeth. Expand
  69. Mar 27, 2013
    Overall, the experience of Bioshock Infinite is a muddled one that can't seem to decide what it is. Is it a social commentary piece? It is an action movie filled with stunning vistas? Is it a study in the morality of player choice? Is it a cosmic horror story? Is it a story of redemption and sacrifice? In the end, Bioshock Infinite is none of these things. It is, instead, the story of KenOverall, the experience of Bioshock Infinite is a muddled one that can't seem to decide what it is. Is it a social commentary piece? It is an action movie filled with stunning vistas? Is it a study in the morality of player choice? Is it a cosmic horror story? Is it a story of redemption and sacrifice? In the end, Bioshock Infinite is none of these things. It is, instead, the story of Ken Levine trying to recapture the surprise and innovation of the original Bioshock and falling short, delivering a strictly average game that ends with a whimper, instead of a bang. Expand
  70. Aug 9, 2013
    I thought this is gonna be different, not disappointing. But I found it so boring, stupid and ridiculous. It should be good for minors if it wasn't violent. I don't like Bioshock at all. And this one I hate. Just another piece of trash. Rising up to another world into the sky this time is a good changing, I'm bored of the sea anyway. Colors and flying buildings impressed me just for aI thought this is gonna be different, not disappointing. But I found it so boring, stupid and ridiculous. It should be good for minors if it wasn't violent. I don't like Bioshock at all. And this one I hate. Just another piece of trash. Rising up to another world into the sky this time is a good changing, I'm bored of the sea anyway. Colors and flying buildings impressed me just for a while. then I thought maybe It's a good Idea to uninstall this game and do something else. So I did, and I do not feel remorse about that. Expand
  71. Vex
    Nov 22, 2013
    I'm feeling somewhat disappointed with this game. It's been hyped up so much that I was expecting something more captivating and unforgettable, and yet I was left with a somewhat mediocre shooter. Don't get me wrong, the story is good (though it starts falling apart a bit in the second half of the game) but the gameplay is extremely linear and there is very little freedom as to what youI'm feeling somewhat disappointed with this game. It's been hyped up so much that I was expecting something more captivating and unforgettable, and yet I was left with a somewhat mediocre shooter. Don't get me wrong, the story is good (though it starts falling apart a bit in the second half of the game) but the gameplay is extremely linear and there is very little freedom as to what you can do off the beaten path. Also, the first few levels when you initially arrive to Columbia are absolutely amazing, stunningly beautiful and crafted with great skill and precision. Unfortunately this aspect also takes a turn for the worse in the second half and the world starts looking and feeling somewhat mediocre and cheap.

This is an alright game but definitely not worth $60. Pick it up on a sale instead.
  72. Jul 26, 2014
    The games looks okay, until people move and talk. In this day and age I expect models that are a bit less 'wooden'.

Sound is excellent as is the story. Though I am still not a major fan of Bioshock in general (BS1 was good but not a classic) this was better. Despite some available DLC, I did not feel any replay value. But then, I haven't seen Sixth Sense more than once. Games and

Despite some available DLC, I did not feel any replay value. But then, I haven't seen Sixth Sense more than once. Games and movies with major twists often have this problem though.
  73. Jun 18, 2013
    How does anyone think this game deserves a 10 or a 0? What was so great or so horrible to justify those scores? This game has ok graphics, great scenarios, an unnecessarily complicated storyline full of plot holes and unsurprising twists, unintersting characters, a repetitive to the point it becomes tedious combat, a poor selection of weapons, a self recharging shield and a health, saltsHow does anyone think this game deserves a 10 or a 0? What was so great or so horrible to justify those scores? This game has ok graphics, great scenarios, an unnecessarily complicated storyline full of plot holes and unsurprising twists, unintersting characters, a repetitive to the point it becomes tedious combat, a poor selection of weapons, a self recharging shield and a health, salts and ammo dispenser for a companion that, paired with a poor Ai, takes away any challenge.
    Even if the word Bioshock is in its title, an average game deserves an average score people.
  74. Jan 12, 2014
    It is a good game but not a great one. I wasn't going to grade it, but it got too overrated for me. The worst part was the game's repeatability and predictability (especially if someone has already played it's predecessors). Also, it had a slight console taste, which never gets along with my game taste buds.
  75. Feb 3, 2014
    Not bad. Decent graphics, good voice acting, boring but solid FPS combat. Worth it for the eye candy perhaps, but I won't be playing it again.

This could have been something special: setting is very impressive and stylish with lots of attention to detail, and the developers were obviously trying to say something intelligent. Instead - the usual move forwards and kill, repeat, repeat. Why? Because a guy who I hear speaking sometimes is evil.

There's more to it than that, but if you want to find out what happens at the end you need to rack up an enormous bodycount first. The other Bioshocks and System Shock had puzzles and exploring; Infinite is just about shooting everything and then finding the exit to the next area.

Cool characters that might become Booker's allies manage to find bizarre ways of becoming his enemy so they can be added to the death toll. The sheer amount of meaningless killing (Booker pulls the trigger and Elizabeth throws him more ammo) makes situations like Booker stopping to tell Elizabeth that stealing from a tomb is wrong ("Think about what you're doing!"), unintentionally hilarious.

The moral of the story? Gunning down hundreds of people is fine as long as they are evil, but racism is very very very bad.
  76. Apr 8, 2013
    I will start with writing that I had really hard time getting into the game. I did not like previous installments of Bioshock and I could hardly stand the view of the city in the clouds with tons of glowing graphics with outdated textures. This game resembles Dishonored and The Darkness, but IMHO is not as good as they are. While playing I was waiting for the game to finish and if it wasI will start with writing that I had really hard time getting into the game. I did not like previous installments of Bioshock and I could hardly stand the view of the city in the clouds with tons of glowing graphics with outdated textures. This game resembles Dishonored and The Darkness, but IMHO is not as good as they are. While playing I was waiting for the game to finish and if it was not for the story I would not get to the end. I used a trainer to get infinite amount of money and salts because collecting them was really boring. The idea of objects appearing from other worlds through tears is quite interesting though. Another plus is that the game runs smoothly and I could see no errors.
    I will definitely not call it a masterpiece, but if you like weird shooters perhaps this one is for you.
  77. Apr 27, 2015
    A decent title which receives a great deal more hate than it genuinely deserves. The plot is a pretty stupid mess when you try to put it together and it really feels like a wasted opportunity, but the atmosphere and world building, as always from Ken Levine, is top notch. Columbia is a genuinely interesting place to explore and learn about, much like Rapture or the Von Braun before it. ItA decent title which receives a great deal more hate than it genuinely deserves. The plot is a pretty stupid mess when you try to put it together and it really feels like a wasted opportunity, but the atmosphere and world building, as always from Ken Levine, is top notch. Columbia is a genuinely interesting place to explore and learn about, much like Rapture or the Von Braun before it. It isn't the greatest game in the world, but one doesn't have to strain to see the clear passion and hear that went into its creation. That's more than I can say for most AAA titles released today. Expand
  78. Oct 15, 2014
    I quit this game about halfway through. It was boring. It was just a first person shooter with some right-click flare.

The above was a mistake. The story really took off at roughly 30 minutes of gameplay after where I quit. This game is no gameplay masterpiece. Some of the guns are satisfying, some are frustrating. Stealing stuff from every drawer in sight is always somehow

This game is no gameplay masterpiece. Some of the guns are satisfying, some are frustrating. Stealing stuff from every drawer in sight is always somehow entertaining. Zipping around on tram lines is also fairly fun. The real win for this game, though, is the story. I would recommend this game to anyone who likes a good story and is happy shooting anything that moves in the dull moments.
  79. Vel
    Mar 22, 2014
    First, let me say I was a big fan of the first bioshock, and somewhat a fan of the 2nd. This one fell short of what it could be. I'll just list it as a set of pro's and con's, but please, PLEASE don't believe all the hype about this game.
    Pro's:
    -Graphics are pretty good, nothing ground breaking, but up to competing with what's out there. -The story was somewhat clever, kind of reminded
    Pro's:
    -The story was somewhat clever, kind of reminded me of dishonored.
    -The gameplay mechanics were very similar to bioshock 1 and 2, which made it easy to get in to

Cons:
    -The game was relatively short, with almost 0 replayability. While the game gives you some decisions, none of them feel like they mean anything at all.
    -The gameplay becomes VERY repetitive as the game continues. Move to the next area, shoot all the bad guys. Move to the next area, shoot all the bad guys. By the last half of the game, it was more a desire to finish than a desire to play that got me through it.
    -The story did not really flow. While the main plot was interesting, the sideplots and people you meet just felt like filler to point you to the next area full of bad guys.

Overall, if you can get it for under $10, it's a pretty good game, but trust me, once you beat it, you will never pick it up again.
  80. Apr 8, 2013
    It's a good game. Visuals are there, game's universe is great. Companion behavior technically almost as good as in Uncharted 3. But gameplay itself is just pathetic. It feels like all game-designers has left the projects at the middle of development, and guys from Irrational, or 2K spend all the budget for the previews.
  81. Mar 29, 2013
    Having loved the first two Bioshock games, I of course had to purchase the third installment.

This definitely pales in comparison to its predecessors. If anything, it's a dumb-downed version of the previous two that plays the race card with the same story plus an added heavy religious sauce. The zip line system is as another user stated just a gimmick reminding me of the same system in Metroid Prime 3.
    The game is completely linear with no alternative endings or decision making; no hacking or minigames.
    Less weapons, less "power" abilities, and less interesting, slightly prettier. As another user already stated looks good from afar, but has poor looking textures up close.

Elizabeth "Give me something more challenging"
    You Insert #$@is

Buy this when it's on sale.
  82. Jun 8, 2013
    Good but extremly overrated game! Story is good, graphics nice too, but other things not so great. Shooting is very poor. Game is too easy so all efforts about weapon and other upgrades is pointless because you can pass easy everything without upgrading anything! Good game, but most overrated this year!
  83. Mar 30, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite does look and play nice. It has bright colors, amusing powers and an abundant supply of health kits, salts and weapons/ammunition. But it is also very shallow. The combat lacks tactical depth due to regenerating shield, predetermined tear locations and the overly useful "Charm Object" vigor that works on turrets and automatons. The exploration, although present, doesn'tBioshock Infinite does look and play nice. It has bright colors, amusing powers and an abundant supply of health kits, salts and weapons/ammunition. But it is also very shallow. The combat lacks tactical depth due to regenerating shield, predetermined tear locations and the overly useful "Charm Object" vigor that works on turrets and automatons. The exploration, although present, doesn't offer any extra options except for an occasional infusion. Your choices do not matter at all (you only have two, to be honest). You get your answers too late to change your perspective on things and the ending is way overcomplicated. Yet it's a merry roller coaster ride with bright colors and amusing vigors that go boom. Just not quite as engrossing as the first Bioshock or System Shock 2. Expand
  84. Mar 30, 2013
    Another run of the mill FPS/RPG. The only thing is has that stands out is the graphics. It is not worth the starting price. The story is decent but its 10 hours... then game over. The game has NO replay value. So if you're ready to pay the big price for a game you will play for 8-12 hours go for it. If you want a avg. run of the mill RPG... be my guest! If you can wait and get it onAnother run of the mill FPS/RPG. The only thing is has that stands out is the graphics. It is not worth the starting price. The story is decent but its 10 hours... then game over. The game has NO replay value. So if you're ready to pay the big price for a game you will play for 8-12 hours go for it. If you want a avg. run of the mill RPG... be my guest! If you can wait and get it on sale through steam for $15. I have been playing video games for 20 years. The people that are giving it 10's are 16 and haven't been playing RPG/FPS for very long, that's my guess because other wise you won't be able to stomaching giving this game over a 6. There is nothing wrong with being new to the RPG world, but this game isn't a 10. Skyrim isn't a 10, so how could this be a 10? I would give this game a 7.5 at the VERY highest. Expand
  85. Apr 22, 2013
    When i first get in the game it was just amazing, the lighting hides really well all the low quality/stylized asset and made them belivable. Even if the corridor roller coaster feeling of modern first person shooters was there i was enjoying the ride. Suddenly a police man approached me and i brutally murdered him! I'm not new to violence, but in that instant the victim was the niceWhen i first get in the game it was just amazing, the lighting hides really well all the low quality/stylized asset and made them belivable. Even if the corridor roller coaster feeling of modern first person shooters was there i was enjoying the ride. Suddenly a police man approached me and i brutally murdered him! I'm not new to violence, but in that instant the victim was the nice feeling i had few seconds before. It was like they were trying to set for something bigger than a fps, but then the game revolted against them! From there you get a nice looking fps with 2 good features: power and roller coasters. All the storytelling is exposed by set pieces and audiolog. On audiolog i need to state my opinion clearly: they are the lamest means of them all! Who in the fictional world leaves scattered audiologs in cronological order for you to find? It's the worst deus ex machina incarnation! And everybody praise that! I'd prefer even texts, dialogs or nothing at all! They are out of context and cheap, please scrap them next time. Anyway the game is a mediocre fps, just the graphics save it. The ending makes no sense. I just hope this is the end of a era! Expand
  86. Apr 21, 2013
    To begin, the environment and setting of Bioshock Infinite is absolutely breathtaking. Certain elements of the story are mind-bending and impressive. However, it suffers from several fatal flaws that make it less than stellar.

The Good As previously stated, the environment of Columbia is beautiful. The setting is amazing. Irrational Games went through extensive lengths to make the

The Good
    As previously stated, the environment of Columbia is beautiful. The setting is amazing. Irrational Games went through extensive lengths to make the world a believable retro-scifi environment. The technology, sights, and sounds of the era are everywhere and feel like they belong. This world could have easily been imagined at the beginning of the 20th Century and that's a good thing.

Additionally, Elizabeth and Booker, the protagonists, are amazingly complex and fleshed out characters. You can't help but feel attached to Elizabeth nor can you avoid feeling sorry for Booker as he tries to makeup for his sins.

The gun play is quite well done. Weapons seem responsive and aiming was not a chore. Ammo seemed to always be just a bit short which may have been intended, but was at times annoying. The environment requires quick thinking. Booker is human, not super human, and requires you to periodically duck and seek cover. This is a positive. You have to think about moving into the line of fire and how long you stay there. Altogether positive experience with the controls.

The Bad
    The bad lies in the fact that you have no choice in how the game ends or what your character does. In fact, Irrational Games makes several taunts throughout at this little fact. You can of course travel down certain paths do a few side quests, but the story is very linear. You will always end the same way. No exceptions. You have no control about what path you take, and in-fact many of the scripted scenes force you to choose only one choice.

In addition, there are a ton of quick time events that leave you with the illusion of having control over your character where you have to do certain things within them, but you quickly realize the most decisive choices in the game are predetermined. This is no Mass Effect, and the game developers seem to revel in this repeatedly having characters in the game remind you that no matter what choice you make, it will always end the same.

Additionally, the very ending of this game leaves the player shocked, disturbed, and more importantly, severely disappointed. There is little to no resolution of the last 25 hours of game play and it raises more questions than answers; none of which you're going to be able to answer because the game doesn't explain it to you. As far as story writing goes, this is a no-no.

If this weren't enough, once you discover the statement the game was making, if you're a person of faith, especially a Christian, you can't help but feel personally attacked.

It's been almost 24 hours since I finished Bioshock Infinite and I still can't get the bad taste out of my mouth. The plot has similar qualities to many science fiction and dark fantasy (i.e., horror) short stories. The kind of stories that at the end leave you asking "What the heck?" and leave a dirty, gritty feeling. Thankfully, those short stories usually only involve investing an hour of your life, not twenty. This leaves you ample time to wash the taste out of your mouth without feeling like you've wasted too much of your life.

Bioshock Infinite doesn't give you that luxury. You invest nearly a day of total gameplay only to be kicked in the stomach and then told to "deal with it."

I still feel like I'm scrubbing my tongue to get the taste out. Does someone have a steel wool scrubby?

In Conclusion

The game has an amazingly imagined and executed world with a fascinating story that will keep you glued to your seat until the end. The characters are well-rounded, believable, and complex. If you don't feel something for Booker, Elizabeth, and maybe even Comstock by the end, something is probably wrong with you. Unfortunately, these close attachments are stomped on and spit on by design.

The ending punches you in the stomach, rips the rug out from under you, and kicks you a few times for good measures. The raw dirty feeling doesn't go away. If you happen to be a pro-American, Conservative, and/or Christian then the ending will sting even more.

The beautiful world, amazing characters, and fluid game play keep this from being a terrible game, but the ending erases almost all of the good points. I'm glad I didn't have to drop $60 to play this. I can't not recommend this game because it has beautiful experiences, but I can't recommend it either.
  87. Apr 2, 2013
    This game is completely uncomparable to it's ancestor Bioshock. Original game force you to make choices, only choice you can made in B.I. is picture on Elizabet's necklace, which probably don't have any meaning for gameplay. Original game gives us enjoying minigame for lock-picking and hacking. Let's see what we have here "Hey, Elizabeth, take these lockpicks of mine and pick this lockThis game is completely uncomparable to it's ancestor Bioshock. Original game force you to make choices, only choice you can made in B.I. is picture on Elizabet's necklace, which probably don't have any meaning for gameplay. Original game gives us enjoying minigame for lock-picking and hacking. Let's see what we have here "Hey, Elizabeth, take these lockpicks of mine and pick this lock for me, please". It's boring! I was still waiting when the game shows me the full potential, but then it ends... Conclusion: It's good shooter, like many on the marked these days. Nothing special as original Bioshock as we all wanted and expected. Expand
  88. Apr 4, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a solid game, but nothing more. First off, it has literally no innovation whatsoever. second of all, the graphics of this game, while pretty, are really under par and this is obvious when you take the time to simply observe the rose bushes at the beginning of the game. Another issue is the combat, the combat is only fun on hard difficulty, but even then there are a fewBioshock Infinite is a solid game, but nothing more. First off, it has literally no innovation whatsoever. second of all, the graphics of this game, while pretty, are really under par and this is obvious when you take the time to simply observe the rose bushes at the beginning of the game. Another issue is the combat, the combat is only fun on hard difficulty, but even then there are a few issues with it. While playing I occasionally noticed that an enemy was having too much fun on the skylines to try and kill me. I also can't stand that when you die you simply lose money, it takes away all the punishment of dying. The game feels as though it was once filled to the brim with interesting content and was actually good, but it seems as though Irrational's long development cycle resulted in them removing all experimental content from the game. This is very obvious if you look back at the demos released over the last two years. The only truly unique part of this game is the story. The game has a unique and interesting story that kept me playing the game when it was at its worse points. (One of these points being when you must fight an enemy that has too much health and can kill you very quickly no matter how tactical you are. The worst part of this is that every time the enemy kills you it gains back a significant portion of its health, making it almost impossible to kill. Keep in mind this was played on hard difficulty so the same may not apply to easy or normal difficulty.) The story, while not as good as the first Bioshock, is not a simple, run of the mill story you find that only fill in the "reasons for this and that" spot. The story is of movie quality, the movie of course being something like Looper, which takes an age old idea and puts its own unique spin on it. I personally don't mind this, although I do value a good story VERY highly. In other words, this type of story may not be for you. As I said, this game is solid. I would recommend you devote your time to more interesting games, such as Dishonored and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, instead of playing a generally general title such as Bioshock Infinite. Expand
  89. Apr 15, 2013
    It's a good game and it's fun, but it's not a great game and it will not have a lasting appeal. This game is also fairly short. $60 for ~6-9 hours of game-play is a little steep.

Think of this game as the action adventure version of BioShock. Unfortunately the shooter mechanics are not good enough to stand on their own(like other BioShock games) and there is not enough other stuff to fall back on. The plasmid replacements don't seem to add much to the game and the weapons aren't very interesting so combat is very repetitive. There really isn't much in the way of enemy variety and very few enemies have unique mechanics. This causes the action to get a little stale sometimes. Most of the time combat involves killing a wave of mooks and then moving two rooms down a linear path and killing another wave of mooks who will sometimes be accompanied by a generic miniboss that you have already seen a couple times.

The story is decent but it really isn't self consistent, which might bother people.(it bothered me a little bit) The environment is also less interesting than in previous BioShock games. The areas are very linear, with linear branches that go to optional equipment or lore. It doesn't give the same sense of exploration as previous BioShock games.

Overall it's definitely not a bad game and it is worth playing, but it has it's fault and is generally over-hyped.
  90. Apr 2, 2013
    I'm totally, totally disappointed by Bioshock Infinite: a lot of good ideas, both in the script and in the gameplay, badly assembled to fit more a teenager-COD-ish audience.

the whole game is about "run! run! shoot! shoot! get out of the city!" while the script stays there rotting till the last 20 minutes of the game. even though, it's damn full of wholes, just like Mass Effect 3 ending.

game industry, where the are you going??
  91. Apr 13, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite have a lot of really strong points. The graphical design in the game is absolutely amazing and the environments you are in are absolutely gorgeous. Not only that they also just oozes with the atmosphere that goes hand in hand with the Story. And the story is great and it contains a lot of interesting subjects and characters. The game also manages to tell its story throughBioshock Infinite have a lot of really strong points. The graphical design in the game is absolutely amazing and the environments you are in are absolutely gorgeous. Not only that they also just oozes with the atmosphere that goes hand in hand with the Story. And the story is great and it contains a lot of interesting subjects and characters. The game also manages to tell its story through the environment and audio logs just as in the previous games in the series.The only complaint i have regarding the story is that it lacks player interaction both in general and in interaction with characters in the game. But this game is a first person shooter and you are going to spend the majority of your time shooting stuff. The exploring is still there from the previous games but its not as fleshed out in this game since there are less stuff to find and the maps are more linear. Now the shooting is alright. Its is by no means terrible buts its not especially good either. The enemies are unvaried and feels like bullet sponges which makes the whole combat feel dull and unresponsive. The two-weapon limit is a total buzzkill and it doesnt help that the weapons in the game is nothing out of the ordinary. The vigors can be quite enjoyable but the meat of the combat is the shooting which is not that great. There are also some quite annoying boss battles in the game. Now the railways in the game are fun to use and the big open combat arenas in the game with height differences, tears, railways and turrets are where the games most enjoyable fights takes place. Sadly too few areas are like this and the combat can never really escape the fact that the basics arent all that great. it doesnt help that the combat is quite unvaried. Its not that i wish for bloody turret-sections every hour to spice things up but if you are going to make the player constantly shoot stuff the entire game (took me 11 hours on hard) then the shooting should be good enough to carry the game. And in this case the combat is not able to do that. Its hard to rate this game since the combat is average while everything else is pretty much amazing. But i do recommend this game despite its problems simple because how well they managed to pull of the everything besides the combat. Expand
  92. Nov 12, 2013
    A very polished game with graphically brilliant ideas, and all the stylized old-fashionedness og the prior Bioshock games. However for a person (like me) who can't have their life revolve around computer game, it has a game-breaking flaw: YOU CAN'T SAVE THE GAME. So if you played for 30 minutes since your last auto-save, and you have to leave, then you will have to re-do those 30 minutesA very polished game with graphically brilliant ideas, and all the stylized old-fashionedness og the prior Bioshock games. However for a person (like me) who can't have their life revolve around computer game, it has a game-breaking flaw: YOU CAN'T SAVE THE GAME. So if you played for 30 minutes since your last auto-save, and you have to leave, then you will have to re-do those 30 minutes next time you start the game. Why this was done, I have no idea if they wanted the game to be "intense because you can't save/reload at will" they could at LEAST add a save-on-exit. For a game at this price level, there is no excuse for this glaring neglection. Expand
  93. May 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The start of the game was a blast. The visuals and the art are really awesome and it does a great job on introducing the player into the world of the game.

But after one hour playing, all the colorful illusion starts to fall apart. At the beginning, I got extremely excited with the non-regenerative health bar thinking that I would need to look after my health and keep always exploring that epic city looking for health items, but a dozen battles later, somebody throws me a bucket of cold water when I am forced to pick a power-up that gives me a Halo-ish regenerative shield.
    The gunplay is terrible. All guns fells weak, looks bad, have wimpy sounds, and can't kill unless you hit the head. Enemies are very static. You can hit them in the leg, in the arm, from behind, it doesn't matters. They will never react differently to your attacks. They look like motionless robots.

There are cool melee executions, but the system to perform them is broken. I think it has a 3/4 chance of failing at it and killing the enemy with a regular melee attack. This is extremely frustrating.
    And, I can't forget to mention the extremely boring, unmemorable, and uninspired soundtrack.

The game has some very good points. Very good visuals, Elizabeth is an excellent companion, good narrative, but I think these points are not enough to justify the aforementioned problems, and are not enough for saving this game from falling into the "generic shooter" category.
  94. May 15, 2013
    The game looks absolutely beautiful but it just is repeating itself from earlier Bioshock games. And it ain't half as intriguing or exciting in my book. I had hoped the developer would have come up with some new concepts but it is rather lacking in innovation in comparison to the first one. Where is big daddy..?! Competent game but not a GOTY. Kinda like Diablo 3 from last year.
  95. Apr 23, 2013
    I love Bioshock 1, System Shock 2. Bioshock Infinite has an incredible atmosphere, but then again, that's all it's got going for it. The game is absolutely playable. But it is a completely generic first person shooter. All problems in the game are solved in 1 way. Brawns, not brains.. Shoot with guns, take cover, use a tonic, take cover, jump on a "skyline" (gimmick to move from place toI love Bioshock 1, System Shock 2. Bioshock Infinite has an incredible atmosphere, but then again, that's all it's got going for it. The game is absolutely playable. But it is a completely generic first person shooter. All problems in the game are solved in 1 way. Brawns, not brains.. Shoot with guns, take cover, use a tonic, take cover, jump on a "skyline" (gimmick to move from place to place) etc.

I'm not sure what Ken Levine meant with the "1999 mode" because there is NONE of the depth of System Shock 2 in this game. In this, I am disappointed in Ken Levine. He started some of the most seminal works in gaming, including the Thief games, System Shock 2, and Bioshock. Now Bioshock 1 was already a "step back" from System Shock 2. But having read about the "1999 mode" I naively assumed this game would move the opposite direction away from dumbing down the gameplay. But really, 1999 mode is just a difficulty setting, that's all it is.

If you haven't played or been exposed to as many classics as I have, then I'm sure this will live up to the hype for you. But know that something 'better' has been made in the past, by the same man.

7/10 some incredible atmospheres, sceneries, great art direction as always.. but... Gameplay is king. And it is this game's weak spot unfortunately.
    Gameplay>Story>Art>Tech>
  96. Apr 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Re-skin of Bioshock 1. The story is OK, I wanted to complete it to know the story, i was really interested. And since I was spoiled about the end by the THOUSANDS of spoilers around the internet, it just got me more interested in the story. So I decided to give it another try. Got up to the part where Elizabeth kills Daisy Fitzroy. Story is average till now. I REALLY want to know the whole story, but I'd rather watch a 'Bioshock Infinite The Movie' then grind through the God-awful gameplay. Skylines are an attempt to try and give you a break from the awful combat. The re-named Vigors are just plain ol' copies of powers from various games, including Bioshock 1,2 and Dishonored. Elizabeth was interesting, and at least kept me interested enough to keep playing. Gameplay: 4/10. Graphics: 9/10. Story: 7/10.Enemy design and AI: 2/10. Originality: 3/10. Protagonist 1/10. overall: 6/10.

I'd advise anyone to play infinite if they don't have any other game to play and have played EVERY SINGLE game in their collection. If they are bored and have nothing to do. you over-hyped users who gave false reviews and made me lose my 60 bucks.
  97. Jul 1, 2013
    There are plenty of things this game did right, and plenty that it did wrong. The plot twists and story were interesting and kept me wondering what was to come in the next sequence of the game. The setting was great and very original, at least to my knowledge. But the story is its most worth feature and is what makes the game shine to most people.

Taking a look at the characters made me

Taking a look at the characters made me frown a little bit, seeing as Elizabeth is the only redeeming character in the entire game. Most of the others had very bland dialogue and boring backgrounds that had no influence to the plot what-so-ever. The only thing that made some of the characters stories interesting were there relations with Elizabeth.

Some of the poorly done things in Bioshock Infinite include the game play above anything else. While I enjoyed the game I felt bored from time to time. The vigors were a good attempt at keeping things interesting but I felt little use for them. There are too few enemies in this game, and the special enemies only make rare appearances. The majority of enemy encounters in this game include armed men carrying Rifle's and Shotguns, making nearly every fighting sequence a long distance 'duck and cover' battle. For its time, the gameplay is very stale and needs some serious improvement.

All in all I enjoyed the game for its practical elements like the story. It just lacked in so many other things and I feel if these things could be improved upon, Bioshock Infinite would be a much better game.
  98. May 10, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is an above average game, but it is not worth the 94 metascore it has received. When I saw this score, along with it's (at the time) 8.9 metascore, I figured I would be in for an amazing game experience. Instead, I received a pretty game with a nice story, with gameplay tacked on.

What Bioshock Infinite does extremely well, is that it is an absolutely beautifully rendered world with a great story-line. I was simply amazed with the graphics and experienced no slow-downs at max settings on my HD7970 it is very well optimized, whereas most games are not. Elizabeth is a character you really can fall in love with during your adventure with her.

I picked the "Hard" difficulty to play the game with, as I'm somewhat seasoned in FPS games and love a good challenge. What Bioshock Infinite defines as "hard" however, is not actually something challenging. You just die a bit more than you would on the other game modes, with 0 set-backs/punishments for failure. Death can actually be a rewarding experience as you come back to life with more ammo and your health reset, in basically the same location with all enemies you killed still dead. The difficulty setting itself is almost entirely irrelevant.

Gameplay seemed somewhat similar to a borefest I played recently (again, overly praised) called "Borderlands 2". You get a couple of guns at a time, your character can melee and you get "special moves" such as the ability to possess people, throw grenades or uppercut them across the room. Interesting abilities but not anything that radically change the game. Once you find Elizabeth in the game, she also has the ability to open "tears" of your choice, which can give you access to med-packs, extra ammo, an automated turret, etc... which introduces extra tactics into the game. Which are ultimately negated by the fact that you CAN NOT FAIL at this game (again, my gripe with difficulty).

When I see "94 out of 100", I expect an amazing gameplay experience. Instead what I got, was amazing graphics and story with gameplay tacked on. If that's what you look for in your gaming, go with Bioshock.
  99. Aug 8, 2013
    The game was stylish and had a decent story (but the ending was filled with holes), other than that, it was a very average game. Overly repetitive, dull upgrades, extremely linear, the environment wasn't interactive, and a terrible final boss fight.
  100. Apr 27, 2013
    I really enjoyed the gameplay but it wasn't all that different from the other Bioshock games other than the added regeneration shield making it rather easy in comparison to its predecessor and restricted to two weapons. The story was very interesting in the beginning with its take on American History dealing with themes like racism and equality and a unexpected ending that either leave youI really enjoyed the gameplay but it wasn't all that different from the other Bioshock games other than the added regeneration shield making it rather easy in comparison to its predecessor and restricted to two weapons. The story was very interesting in the beginning with its take on American History dealing with themes like racism and equality and a unexpected ending that either leave you confused or shocked. However, the story felt rather flat half way into the story picking up towards the end. Its is different from the previous game as its is more linear with the morale choices you make throughout the game having very little impact on the story. Most of the character were kinda dull other than Elizabeth and felt over the top at times. The setting is a fresh start for the series and the art direction they took. I would have given it a higher score if it wasn't as linear but I understand the direction they took when they made this game. Expand

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 5, 2013
    Play BSI slowly, relish the moments and don’t rush to the end. It’s certain that you will have lived one of the richest gaming experiences that, as far as narration, lyricism and story are concerned, will take a lot of time to forget! [May 2013]
  2. CD-Action
    May 7, 2013
    A very solid, but not revolutionary shooter in an amazing setting, with a story that struggles to convey its authors’ ambitions and is only seemingly complex. The vision is less focused than in previous Bioshocks and it does a worse job on binding the plot with gameplay. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.46]
  3. May 1, 2013
    Problematic plotting and excessive amounts of poorly balanced combat apply friction to what is otherwise one hell of a rollercoaster. [May 2013, p.80]