BioShock Infinite PC

8.6

1. Mar 28, 2013
    The combat was boring. The story failed to create any emotional connection to anything. I would compare it to Inception which was just a mental circle jerk that failed to create any characters or relationships that were interesting. The graphics are decent but not as good as Tomb Raider. Overall I didn't expect much from this game since whenever the media goes crazy and starts throwing outThe combat was boring. The story failed to create any emotional connection to anything. I would compare it to Inception which was just a mental circle jerk that failed to create any characters or relationships that were interesting. The graphics are decent but not as good as Tomb Raider. Overall I didn't expect much from this game since whenever the media goes crazy and starts throwing out 10/10's its usually a warning sign, but I expected one fragment of goodness from the first Bioshock. Nothing. This game is nothing like the first Bioshock. In Bioshock 1 you get a concrete sense of the world and atmosphere and you enjoy the exploration. Each location had a personality and a character to explore but Infinite is just a mess of boring locations and irrelevant characters. You just kinda wander and fight with no purpose until you reach the ending and get a vague sense of what it was all about only to realize you don't care about anything in the world of Colombia. If the gameplay was amazing I would give this game a 9/10 but it was all just very average, none of the guns felt cool and of the 7-8 vigors only one of them was entertaining. Everything Infinite tries to do, Bioshock 1 does better. Expand
  2. Apr 4, 2013
    I often wondered if I'd ever play a game that I felt deserved an unashamed 10 out of 10. I finally found it with this title. Utterly incredible. Graphics, immersion, atmosphere, gameplay everything absolutely spectacular. Best game I've played in years.
  3. Apr 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SPOILERS!

Just finished the game, took me around 30+ hours.

I'm glad I decided to play 1999 mode on my first play through, it made the game really challenging and I died just enough times.

This was a really special game, what a mind blowing and rare experience! Grabbing my favorite kind of game, (fps rpg) and wrap it around a really good story. I loved how rich and alive the world feels, you really feel you're in this city with its own twisted culture and beliefs, and I loved how you were there before everything went to so you actually got to see the beauty and majesty of Columbia. I mean, the city breads believability, electronics all have a brand, and so does food, clothing, alcohol, tabaco, etc. I love how themed everything is, everything makes sense and its not only there to fill up the environment. From FINKs crates to Prophets propaganda props.
    Another thing Irrational Games nailed once again, was what I like to call environment storytelling, the way dead bodies were placed and the destroyed stuff around them, if you take a second to absolve the room you're in, you can really picture what happened in there with you're mind. I like to all this the "half eaten donut moment" from the movie Aliens, you don't always need to tell a story, just present pieces of it, like puzzle pieces, and people will put it together in their minds, and IG artists and designers always excelled at this, it is so inspiring for me.
    It really felt that the artists made the art of the game to support both the gameplay AND the story, and not only to make a pretty game, and for those who work on the games industry, you know how challenging that is!

Gameplay wise, I gotta say the combat is loads of fun! Weapons feel really good, and I found myself using a wide range of weapons through the game, but ultimately I used the Sniper/RPG combination the most. Enemies and AI are smart and challenging enough, Melee and shotguns guys strike at you while rifle and other dudes take cover and whatnot. Overall I found the combat really rewarding and fun, this is a shooter after all so I'm glad they made it compelling to just shoot at bad guys.

I gotta say though, the Vigors in the game are really poor. I found the Plasmids in Bioshock a lot better somehow and I found myself using pretty much all of them, whereas in Bioshock Infinite I pretty much only used a couple, and rarely.
    Bioshock gave you a lot of temptation to use the plasmids, well placed oil puddles, water puddles, Telekinisis to get unreachable stuff and other things. Maybe the levels in that game were smaller and easier to design/play with plasmids, but still...
    Another thing, the game never really forces you to use the Vigors, I remember in Bioshock they made you use the Electro Bolt to open certain doors, Fire to ignite certain areas and open frozen doors, etc, etc. On Infinite Vigors are exclusively used for combat, maybe they did that to simplify the game, make it more mainstream, along with the idea of removing hacking and lock picking.

Also, I kept waiting for that big moment when you had to fight the all mighty and feared Songbird, but that moment never happened, in fact, its curious how this game doesn't have many bosses, I can only think of one, Lady Comstocks ghost. You have those mini-boss guys with the crows and the handymans, but still, bit of a wasted opportunity there for a badass boss scene when Songbird kidnaps Liz and take her to Comstock.
    And speaking of Comstock, anyone else think his death was extremely anti-climatic? You slap his head and drown in a water puddle? Again, wasted boss potential there, I was expecting the final fight with the Prophet to be one of a kind.

Still in the subject of bosses, wtf was that last boss scene? If I can call it that? They just trown enemies and Motorized Patriots at you, and that's it!! No epic climax boss scene... In Bioshocks last boss scene, they make you fight Atlas, this big ass mutated and the game makes you use all the Plasmids you've got to be able to beat all the stages of the boss, which is awesome cos it makes you use everything you learned during the game, where's in Infinite you just get normal enemies being trown at you... Again, wasted opportunity for a epic climax!

Bioshock was one of the best and the most memorable games of the last decade for me, Infinite builds on top of that legacy and makes it better in many many many ways, unfortunately it was also a bit streamlined in many ways.

With that being said, this was one awesome game that will live in my memory for many years, if not ever! I might have sounded overly negative or critic, but it was only because I care about it so much and was able to see the tiny flaws of it. I can't praise this game enought though! I'll be playing it a second time soon for sure, and I can't wait for the dlcs, curious to see what they'll come up with.

Oh... And the end cutscene, with the plot twist and all, damn!
  4. Apr 20, 2013
    I hate to do this to one of my favorite franchises around, but i must. This is not an awful game by far, it just doesn't meet with Bioshock 1 standards. Graphically not better than the first. Story not even close to the first. Gameplay... hmmm not better than the first but not terrible. Overall just a fun game and ok story line, nothing great. I'm a bit disappointed
  5. Mar 28, 2013
    I can't help but wonder: If we took the Bioshock name off the title, would it still be receiving such praise? Frankly, most of the elements that were unique to BioShock have been utterly stripped from this title. There's still plasmids (Vigors) and a steampunk setting but that is where the similarities cease. The hacking elements are gone, lockpicking is taken away from the player andI can't help but wonder: If we took the Bioshock name off the title, would it still be receiving such praise? Frankly, most of the elements that were unique to BioShock have been utterly stripped from this title. There's still plasmids (Vigors) and a steampunk setting but that is where the similarities cease. The hacking elements are gone, lockpicking is taken away from the player and given to an AI, the research camera is removed, and paying attention to health has been replaced with the all-too-generic "regenerating health" mechanic. BioShock's "Big Daddies" are replaced with "Handymen" who are seen far too infrequently, and "Motorized Patriots" which are overused. The vast majority of the enemy AI are merely footsolders who are easy to defeat (and completely stupid) even on the hardest setting. The shooting mechanics have never been particularly strong in the BioShock franchise but BioShock Infinite strips it down further, allowing players to carry only two weapons at any given time like any other stock FPS title. In addition, the vigor powers themselves are lackluster and chances are you'll go through the entire game running with Possession (the hacking "replacement") and Bucking Bronco or Murder of Crows (the two Vigors which have the most effect on enemy mobs loss of control and stun+damage, respectively). We get Vigor powers like "Shock Jockey" (the name should tell you what it does) and the game points out how we can use it to power up devices but then we only get one particular device to use it on and little reason to use it again. So this leaves us with the story which seems to be getting the most praise. However, the story itself is a series of walking cliches and tropes about multiverse theory and time-space manipulation and, frankly, has been addressed better elsewhere in countless science fiction novels, movies, TV shows, and even comic books. When the game explains the concepts of "constants and variables" in the multiverse it feels more like they're attempting to justify why the game took such a hard 90 degree turn away from previous gameplay demos in order to proffer this metaphysical theme. Where, for example, is the Elizabeth AI we were shown where she fought along side of us? Gone and replaced with a cowering AI that gets in the way and offers little help but tossing us items from time to time. Where, for example, were the critical moments in the game shown during gameplay demos of E3's past? Gone and replaced with overly cerebral tropes about quantum mechanics and multiple realities. Where, for example, are all the examples of how the sky-rail plays a critical role in the game? Just gone, entirely. Don't get me wrong, the story is heads and shoulders better than MOST games these days and the attention to detail is second to none. For those reasons alone the game should be experienced at least once. It's just the story isn't nearly as new OR earth shattering as many claim it to be and, if I didn't care about spoilers, I could point out how Infinite almost perfectly parallels the story of Walter and Peter Bishop from the TV show Fringe. While the story is better than most it really doesn't make the shortcomings of the gameplay easier to bear. Finally, for a game which was designed exclusively for single player, the game is very short, clocking in at a total of 14 hours on the hard difficulty setting with most of the collectibles obtained. Given the fact that many elements were chopped out of the gameplay videos, I can't help but wonder how much is sitting on the cutting room floor, or if key parts were stripped in order to push out fast DLC. There's no reason this game shouldn't have been AT LEAST 20 hours in length, especially given how linear it is designed. All in all, it's a decent game but painfully average in terms of gameplay and only barely above average in terms of story. Levine spent so much time on the metaphysical that it feels like he and the development team forgot that it was all of the elements, combined, that made BioShock so distinct and enjoyable. It's worth playing at least once to soak in all the wonder but, sadly, you won't really be going back to play it again since nothing (except difficulty) changes between play throughs. Expand
  6. Pat
    Mar 29, 2013
    Enjoyed the experience a good bit due to the crazy setting and story but just like the original Bioshock, the combat that you are doing throughout the entire game is lacking.
  7. Jun 20, 2013
    This HAS to be game of the year. This game is so fresh, and its not stale! This is one of the greatest games I have played in a long time, I've just completed it and I don't want to spoil anything but it feels like I've just watched The Matrix for the first time. My mind is blown.

Anyway, I wasn't too sure about this game. The fact that it took place up in the sky put me off as the first 2 games were at the bottom of the ocean and I thought there's no way that's possible, it must be a tiny city... (Derp, Bioshock 1 & 2 took place underwater! What am I thinking?!) The graphics made me a bit put off as well which looked a bit more like a cartoon rather than it looking rough and realistic and I really regret judging the game for that which is why I didn't buy it until a few days ago.

The graphics are really nice and have this bloom effect. The game also ran really well for me on 'High' the only problems I had was random crashing a few times which rarely happened as well as stuttering if I alt-tabbed out of the game for a while or just very rare random stuttering. (Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz, 3.5GB Ram, [I actually have 8 but 32-bit only lets me use 3.5] and ATI Radeon 6950.)

There are lots of weapons and the revolver no doubt is my favourite, as well as the machine gun. All of the weapons give a satisfying *UMPH* if you know what I mean. As for the plasmids (or vigors) which have cleverly been designed as liquid to consume; are somewhat similar to the plasmids but have a different feel to it which is ok.

Now you have an NPC which follows you throughout the game which is Elizabeth and surprisingly she's not dumb and doesn't get in the way or be useless as a brick wall, she's actually really useful. The dialogue where she throws supplies is a bit repetitive but you don't really notice it that much as you can mostly hear gunfire.

The overall feel for the game has that Bioshock feeling, but its different and I like it.

BAD: Personally I am disappointed that nothing is really physical like the first 2 games. I can understand why they did this as the physics in the previous games were clunky and a bit buggy but a lot of items could had been physical.

I also dislike that when you upgrade your weapons no attachments are added to them, it's just the same model.

Overall this game is 100% worth buying, it's fresh, the voice acting is simply amazing and I really got attached to Elizabeth as well as the story and I really hope that there's a sequel to this game.

THANK YOU BIOSHOCK INFINITE DEVELOPERS & VOICE ACTORS AND EVERYONE ELSE FOR MAKING AN AWESOME GAME!
  8. Fix
    Apr 21, 2013
    I was blown away by how this game pulled me in. I don't usually care about the story in video games, but this one really had me. The music in the game is awesome. I wonder how much they had to pay for all of those music rights. This is the best game I've played since Skyrim.
  9. Apr 12, 2013
    Fantastic game, fantastic story, fantastic graphics, fantastic gameplay, fantastic characters, fantastic locations, fantastic twist, fantastic enemyes and truly sad ending.
  10. Apr 17, 2013
    Only moderately decent as a shooter but worth playing once through for a reasonably engaging story and imaginative environments. However, playing at turtle speed and strolling around looking at every painting on the wall will only buy you 12-15 hours of game play making the experiencing limited. I felt like I got Act I and then someone decided to cram Acts II III into the last 2 hoursOnly moderately decent as a shooter but worth playing once through for a reasonably engaging story and imaginative environments. However, playing at turtle speed and strolling around looking at every painting on the wall will only buy you 12-15 hours of game play making the experiencing limited. I felt like I got Act I and then someone decided to cram Acts II III into the last 2 hours rather than fully developing a complete AAA game. For that reason, I would recommend waiting until the final edition is released with all DLC and put on sale for $20-$30 which is where the price point is worthy of being for the ride. Expand
  11. Mar 30, 2013
    A bit more simplified when compared to Bioshock... yet equally (if not more) fun than its predecessor. What makes this game so special is the incredible setting and mesmerizing story, one which will be remembered as one of gaming's best... an ending that satisfies and shocks more than you could have ever wanted... and an AI companion that is all but artificial. While we're a part of aA bit more simplified when compared to Bioshock... yet equally (if not more) fun than its predecessor. What makes this game so special is the incredible setting and mesmerizing story, one which will be remembered as one of gaming's best... an ending that satisfies and shocks more than you could have ever wanted... and an AI companion that is all but artificial. While we're a part of a console-dominant era, System shock's gameplay mechanics are lost and gone, crying and pleading will not bring them back (maybe kickstarter might, who knows)...and i could have been PC-elitist-centric and whine throughout my Bioshock Infinite experience, but i can't...and wont...
    I had a lot of fun, i was touched by the story...i loved the graphics, the design and atmosphere... the music...the sounds and the voice-acting. Hope you have as much fun as i had and let the Bioshock saga continue, it deserves nothing less.
  12. Mar 30, 2013
    A game that clearly shows the developers wanted to make a masterpiece. The story follows many of the strengths of the original Bioshock, but goes even deeper than before. All too often games that deal in quantum physics and science fiction get lost plot holes and contrivances, but Bioshock Infinite welcomes speculation and the more you think about what's happening the more you respect allA game that clearly shows the developers wanted to make a masterpiece. The story follows many of the strengths of the original Bioshock, but goes even deeper than before. All too often games that deal in quantum physics and science fiction get lost plot holes and contrivances, but Bioshock Infinite welcomes speculation and the more you think about what's happening the more you respect all the details the writers added to the story. While there aren't too many permanent characters throughout the game, Elizabeth is easily one of the best written female characters in gaming. I couldn't possibly list half the things I loved about this game without spoiling it, but this is a game I could recommend to anyone.
    Coming back to the actual mechanics of the game, the graphics are phenomenal. They run well on mid-range cards and rely on beautiful art design and animation to make Columbia one of the most beautiful venues in video games yet. The music is appropriate, but the rest of the sound design (in Bioshock fashion) is excellent, and many of the audio logs are simply chilling. Voice acting is for the most part top-notch.
    If I have a complaint about Bioshock infinite, it's in the combat. Enemy AI is fairly basic and enemy variety is a bit wanting. The vigors are nice, but not as varied or powerful as before. That being said, the setting is much more open and diverse than the previous games. Still, truth be told, I preferred the original game's combat a little bit. Nonetheless, while this isn't a "flawless" game, it is a masterpiece, and it will be looked back on as an important step in gaming. It shows that there are still developers out there who look to their game as a piece of art and are willing to push boundaries.
  13. Mar 30, 2013
    An extremely captivating gaming experience. The gameplay is good, the story is wonderfully told and the world is worth the purchase alone. In a market saturated by "HOORA AMERICA"shooters (Battlefield, Call of Duty, Homefront, Medal of Honor), it's refreshing to see a game tear American Exceptionalism apart. While the gameplay is pretty solid, the real stars are the story and the world.An extremely captivating gaming experience. The gameplay is good, the story is wonderfully told and the world is worth the purchase alone. In a market saturated by "HOORA AMERICA"shooters (Battlefield, Call of Duty, Homefront, Medal of Honor), it's refreshing to see a game tear American Exceptionalism apart. While the gameplay is pretty solid, the real stars are the story and the world. The developers took a lot of big risks in this game, with a lot of decisions that could have easily backfired and ruined the whole experience. The fact that everything works so well together is remarkable in its own right. I think calling it "The greatest game of all time" like some other reviewers are is kind of a stretch, but certainly I don't think anything else coming out this year will even approach the quality of Bioshock Infinite. If you liked the first Bioshock, you probably already have this game, but if you don't you owe it to yourself to get this. If you felt that the gameplay was dull in the original Bioshock or that that lack of subtlety in dealing with broader philosophical and political concepts was problematic, you're going to find the same issues here. However, I absolutely loved the experience. Expand
  14. Apr 7, 2013
    Pros: Setting is masterfully crafted and well-detailed. Good main characters. Lots of style and flair. Decent story with a moral backbone that few other games have.

Cons: Gameplay leaves lots to be desired. Like its predecessor, Bioshock, it still leaves a lot to be desired in comparison to the game these titles are supposed to be the spiritual successor for: System Shock 2. Bioshock Infinite is a shooter with extremely light RPG influences, and even as a shooter, it's only an OK one. Playing B:I, I myself looking forward to the dialogue between the main characters--which thankfully there is plenty off--but nearly falling asleep during gameplay segments, looking forward to them being over so I can get to the next scene. Also, the UI looks nice, but it's terrible from a usability perspective, especially on the PC. The gear system, for example, is pitifully designed.

All in all, it's a well-polished game. I love that it's focused on single player only with no frills. I love the game's themes and design. But the gameplay is so shallow, the AI is weak, and I'm left with little desire to play the game again.
  15. Jul 20, 2013
    The game has stunning visuals and a great story line. But the execution leaves a lot to be desired. The pacing is very slow; it took me 45 minutes of playing before the shooting began. The money that you need is mostly found by searching barrels and boxes and trash cans (who's throwing away all this money?!?) and bodies. And there are a LOT of things to search... it gets pretty damnThe game has stunning visuals and a great story line. But the execution leaves a lot to be desired. The pacing is very slow; it took me 45 minutes of playing before the shooting began. The money that you need is mostly found by searching barrels and boxes and trash cans (who's throwing away all this money?!?) and bodies. And there are a LOT of things to search... it gets pretty damn tedious. Overall, the game doesn't live up to the first Bioshock, and it doesn't live up to the hype. In fact, it feels more like an RPG than an FPS; the developer is really keen on you exploring the world and eavesdropping on conversations. Bioshock 2 left me cold; I had been hoping that Bioshock infinite would recapture the magic of the first game, but it just doesn't. Expand
  16. Mar 26, 2013
    Game deserves all the praise it's getting. Some very touchy subject matter involving racism but I can appreciate how they went about it and its appropriate for the time period and how people actually thought and behaved. Will be an eye opener for many I believe. I'm about 7 hours into it myself and have enjoyed every minute. I highly recommend playing on hard difficulty as it makes it aGame deserves all the praise it's getting. Some very touchy subject matter involving racism but I can appreciate how they went about it and its appropriate for the time period and how people actually thought and behaved. Will be an eye opener for many I believe. I'm about 7 hours into it myself and have enjoyed every minute. I highly recommend playing on hard difficulty as it makes it a much more enjoyable experience and actually gives it a challenge. Expand
  17. Sep 22, 2014
    FPS couldn't get any better than this. its worth the money I spent. Gameplay and the characters will let you into the world. Best game of the generation. You will believe a city can fly.
  18. Jun 6, 2013
    A mostly fun game, but not one I feel the need to replay since it was very generic most of the time. It's very much a tunnel shooter. This game had a LOT of hype, but was not as good as the original, nor anything that special gameplay or technically wise. Though the story was good.
    It's a 6/10 at best tbh
  19. Oct 17, 2014
    Bioshock Infinite is a lovely game. Art direction, graphics and sound are superb. Made me think of Singularity and Dishonored at times. A beautiful first person shooter, and a must-have.
  20. Mar 30, 2013
    The best FPS I've ever played. And the biggest reason I can give you is Elizabeth. Elizabeth the best NPC in any video game I've ever played. THe gameplay is excellent (though fiddly at times) the graphics are top notch (not the aboluste best, but only a tad under) the sense of "being there" is fantastic as the details is just breath taking. The game mechanics are worked out and smooth.The best FPS I've ever played. And the biggest reason I can give you is Elizabeth. Elizabeth the best NPC in any video game I've ever played. THe gameplay is excellent (though fiddly at times) the graphics are top notch (not the aboluste best, but only a tad under) the sense of "being there" is fantastic as the details is just breath taking. The game mechanics are worked out and smooth. But it is Elizabeth I've fallen in love with a sodding video game character. Please let me buy all your DLC expansions and follow ups. Sign me up right now but if you change her personality Irrational Games... I'm coming after you with a stick covered in dog excrement. Expand
  21. Jul 28, 2013
    Good but not great another fine example of industry overhype.

Good but not great another fine example of industry overhype.

The art design and overall feel of the world is fantastic (even though technically the graphics are rather poor lots of post-processing hiding poor textures and low poly counts) but the gameplay is a very generic shooter and gets repetitive very quickly. Overall game mechanics are dumbed-down significantly from Bioshock 1 and 2.

In short, a shiny but shallow game. Worth playing for the world and the story, but nowhere near as good as people are making it out to be.
  22. Apr 25, 2013
    Just finished. Amazing game. Kept me hooked beginning to end, did not want to do anything else. So many details that were cool and unique and found nowhere else. The story is incredible and this is the first game I've bought in a while that I actually felt deserved my money. One thing I will say is the fighting tended to get repetitive with the shoot this guy, search that garbage canJust finished. Amazing game. Kept me hooked beginning to end, did not want to do anything else. So many details that were cool and unique and found nowhere else. The story is incredible and this is the first game I've bought in a while that I actually felt deserved my money. One thing I will say is the fighting tended to get repetitive with the shoot this guy, search that garbage can for ammo, shoot that guy, search some corpses for a sandwich, etc. I've never seen so much money just strewn about and thrown away anywhere. If there had to be a flaw, it would be the search-system. Not sure how one would fix that, but it is what it is. Doesn't detract from the game though. LOVES me that hand cannon. Expand
  23. Mar 27, 2013
    I don't know if I've ever given any game a 10. But if any game deserves it, it's this one. The graphical detail, the voice-overs, the sounds, the innovative storyline and the game play are unsurpassed in any game I've played in the last several years. Really an incredible gaming experience. This is the type of game that makes you want to go out and spend big money on a PC upgrade. II don't know if I've ever given any game a 10. But if any game deserves it, it's this one. The graphical detail, the voice-overs, the sounds, the innovative storyline and the game play are unsurpassed in any game I've played in the last several years. Really an incredible gaming experience. This is the type of game that makes you want to go out and spend big money on a PC upgrade. I won't get into details plenty of others have. Just suffice it to say that if you're a PC gamer, you NEED to play this game. Awesome job, 2k! Expand
  24. Dec 23, 2013
    This game is really quite overrated by the so-called critics. It is certainly not a masterpiece of storytelling, or even particularly interesting in its apparent critical treatment on American exceptionalism. The pseudo-Americans seem quite impressive and exceptional with their flying city, even if their social beliefs seem beyond the pale. However, the "Columbians" don't even seem toThis game is really quite overrated by the so-called critics. It is certainly not a masterpiece of storytelling, or even particularly interesting in its apparent critical treatment on American exceptionalism. The pseudo-Americans seem quite impressive and exceptional with their flying city, even if their social beliefs seem beyond the pale. However, the "Columbians" don't even seem to hold beliefs that are terribly out of pace for the day. Eugenics, racism, and a puritanical protestant faith emphasizing civic life were part of modern life in early twentieth/late 19th century America. If anything the game only exaggerates the actual belief systems held by most people in those days. The populist faction is also portrayed just as exaggerated, and are shown to be bloodthirsty maniacs who just want to steal everyone's property as the game unfolds.

The game has more plot holes than Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. The ending seems to be a play at some deep, philosophical point, but winds up imploding under its own absurdity. When you beat the game (12 hour finish on hard for me, and I will probably not be playing through 1999 difficulty, unlocked after HM completion), you will likely come to the conclusion that the game would have been better without the ending. A simple fade-to-black after the final battle would have been more satisfying. Instead the player endures a painful revelation sequence where all questions about what is going on are answered, and simultaneously rendered moot.

If I had payed the sticker-price for this game (I picked it up on a Steam sale), I would have been very disappointed. It was worth 10 USD.

As a FPS it is fine. As the inheritor of BioShock it does not live up to BioShock 1 or even 2. Several interesting features are left out which were enjoyable and well-tuned in the previous games. There is no map; making completion difficult. Money is tight in the game, but this is intentional and forces the player to prioritize upgrades. Ammo was always a problem on hard, and there was never quite enough cash to buy anything, so pluses for that.

The primary failures of this game are in the narrative, which might seem nitpicky, but for a single-player FPS, the story is all we really have to hold the thing together. Without a tight, compelling narrative there is really no reason to play the game to my mind. There were several instances in the game where the main character develops a case of macguffinitis, and can't see that it is actually absurd that he continues toward the next objective given what is going on. If anything the highly-trained Pinkerton agent would have been intelligent enough to figure out there were better ways to go about his objective. At least in BioShock there was a concrete in-game reason for the mindless objective chasing, and the second part followed naturally. Infinite has no such coherence on the plot level.

This game is really a 6, maybe a 7.5 if the reviewer was feeling generous. I cannot understand how this game gets such fawning institutional reviews. It is a mixed bag at best.

If you're a BioShock fan, you will (somewhat) enjoy this game. Wait for a sale.
  25. Mar 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well i can't deny that the story from beginning to end was quite intriguing and nearly brilliant. i use the term brilliant as it caused quite some confusion halfway trough when the first inter-dimensional travel happened. It felt...Forced. First you are in the relatively normal world and suddenly your in the dimension where the Rebellion was already full underway. if the transition was less sudden it would have helped, but alas. There were also the loose ends here and there.
    Game-play wise. it was poor. The details were great but the game-play felt simplified. the world lacked the depth and freedom of the former Bioshock games. The enemies where rather bland (they were fodder. 1 shot to the head with a pistol and done most of the time!) and the few "special" enemies were spread out thin. you encounter the Handy-men a few times trough out the game (they were miniature bosses) and the Boys of silence you encounter in only one level and have no single importance. The Vigor system (tough nicely thought up) wasn't needed most the time and i still have yet to hear where they came from unlike their plasmid counterpart that was properly explained.
    Its a good game, but in the end im afraid the over focus on the story has left the game-play slightly lacking. I did like the Luteces tough. added a little bit of silliness here and there which was surely needed.
  26. Apr 6, 2013
    Absolute triumph of smart and deep storytelling, which is beatifully, masterfully made and pure fun to play... seems like candidate for game of the decade!
  27. May 5, 2013
    Good game but there is no replay value after finishing it The game world and the story are a bit ridiculous for my taste and the graphics are very "cartoonish". I gave it a 7 for being a good game but this is not a classic as it is majorly overhyped by some people
  28. Jul 13, 2013
    Yes, sometimes you know a game will be good before you even play it. But you still have no idea just how good this game is. This game will touch you...
  29. Jan 25, 2014
    Game is great. However, it is far from perfect; at least on PC. There are a few notable things that nearly all PC games have that this game simply lacks with no explanation other than it being a port. The graphics are good, but feel like they are targeted towards consoles again since they don't take advantage of many aspects of the Unreal engine that are almost laughably easy to implementGame is great. However, it is far from perfect; at least on PC. There are a few notable things that nearly all PC games have that this game simply lacks with no explanation other than it being a port. The graphics are good, but feel like they are targeted towards consoles again since they don't take advantage of many aspects of the Unreal engine that are almost laughably easy to implement even to the most amateur of UDK newbie such as reflections). The art content is very nice.

The game design is where the game feels lackluster in comparison to its predecessors. The level design and agency of the game feel extremely stifled. There are a few "decisions" here and there that make no difference, all customization items are strewn about randomly meaning that the map and enemy design go unaffected by them in the long run. The characters and bad guys also feel silly. I really wish that there was at least some sort of open worldedness and a way to explore in more ways.

Another problem that I have is why on earth can you not have multiple saves, let alone being able to save where you want. Bioshock 1 and 2 had this why does Infinite not. I just started another game to let my friend play and had to lose all my previous progress. It is uncalled for. There are other things such as the Vigor wheel obviously being geared towards controller use and weapon limiting but the save problems are the worst. I know this is a minor gripe but this should have been addressed.
  30. Mar 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I got this game free with a new AMD card I bought in January but I will try to review it as if I had paid full price for it.... First off, some people have said that the graphics look dated well then it must be their PCs that are dated because with everything on Ultra it looks pretty amazing to me! As for the game itself, if you liked Bioshock 1+2 then you might have to consider that this is pretty much disjointed in comparison and is pretty much a different "license" as the story and gameplay doesn't fit in with its predecessors............One stand out feature for me is the audio. The soundtrack and the ambient sounds are second to none and I found myself giggling at some of the "remade" tracks, especially the Cyndi Lauper song at the beach (sorry for the spoiler). Being a child of the 70s/80s helps with some of the references during the course of the game.......Overall, I don't think the game is earth shattering, but the storyline and thought processes that have gone into this game will likely render it as a major Game of the Year contender commercially, and amongst gamers. I can't give it 10/10 as there are a few niggles with the AI here and there, but it's a definate and solid 9/10 in my books Expand

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 5, 2013
    Play BSI slowly, relish the moments and don’t rush to the end. It’s certain that you will have lived one of the richest gaming experiences that, as far as narration, lyricism and story are concerned, will take a lot of time to forget! [May 2013]
  2. CD-Action
    May 7, 2013
    A very solid, but not revolutionary shooter in an amazing setting, with a story that struggles to convey its authors’ ambitions and is only seemingly complex. The vision is less focused than in previous Bioshocks and it does a worse job on binding the plot with gameplay. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.46]
  3. May 1, 2013
    Problematic plotting and excessive amounts of poorly balanced combat apply friction to what is otherwise one hell of a rollercoaster. [May 2013, p.80]