8.4

1. DavidF.
    Oct 16, 2008
    This is a great game it is the closest thing to real life I don't mean there were bodyguards in scuba suits and stem cell junkies in the 1940s but you get so emotionally immersed in the character and storyline . Also The graphics are the most realistic I've seen in my life. The only thing missing is multiplayer which this game wouldn't work well with. This game will change This is a great game it is the closest thing to real life I don't mean there were bodyguards in scuba suits and stem cell junkies in the 1940s but you get so emotionally immersed in the character and storyline . Also The graphics are the most realistic I've seen in my life. The only thing missing is multiplayer which this game wouldn't work well with. This game will change first person shooters and you for the rest of your life. Expand
  2. jatoo
    Dec 30, 2008
    Great game. Probably better plot than any other game I've played. Atmosphere/setting is great, although the graphics could be a touch better.
    The voice acting is brilliant, far, far better than any other game I've played. Hearing the insane ranting and shrieking of the splicers was great for atmosphere. Loved the steampunk influences.
  3. HurjaKalle
    Feb 23, 2008
    Voice acting is excellent. The story is told via messages by radio or by audio tapes, left lying around by random citizens, law enforcers, smugglers, the Boss(?), scientists, and one very unstable artist who is obsessed with "wild bunnies" but "can't take the ****in ears off" so one of the most important aspects of this game is covered there. Game play, mostly, is average or slightlyVoice acting is excellent. The story is told via messages by radio or by audio tapes, left lying around by random citizens, law enforcers, smugglers, the Boss(?), scientists, and one very unstable artist who is obsessed with "wild bunnies" but "can't take the ****in ears off" so one of the most important aspects of this game is covered there. Game play, mostly, is average or slightly above, so it's the story, presentation and small details here, that leave a curious aftertaste, that matter most, not the usual things that make a FPS grand, IMHO. Expand
  4. GilM.
    Mar 17, 2008
    Amazing game, great graphics, in-depth storyline, great play style. Ignore the low raters, and as a response to Rob C's review, i still play bishock, and ive beaten it about 10 times, yet i still find it fun to play. And in response to complaints about glitches and the such, its called a patch, the 1.1 patch fixed most of the stuff that i was pissed about. Sure, it was sort of over Amazing game, great graphics, in-depth storyline, great play style. Ignore the low raters, and as a response to Rob C's review, i still play bishock, and ive beaten it about 10 times, yet i still find it fun to play. And in response to complaints about glitches and the such, its called a patch, the 1.1 patch fixed most of the stuff that i was pissed about. Sure, it was sort of over hyped, but the game is still amazing. I agree, turn off the music and immerse yourself, great experience. Other people fail to notice the amazing storyline within the sound diaries, people talking over the radio with you, splicers randomly talking, and even posters that you read! Sure, its a lot like SS2, but it has a dark, genuinely freaky style all its own, no "cheap scares". Expand
  5. JohnE.
    Mar 19, 2008
    How could anyone not love this game? It has all the best elements from both rpg and fps games. It is flawlessly, bugless, and incredibly deep, without getting too complicated or overwhelming. I think people that don't like this game need to really sit down and pay attention to what this game is bringing. I have been playing video games my entire life, and this is by far one of the How could anyone not love this game? It has all the best elements from both rpg and fps games. It is flawlessly, bugless, and incredibly deep, without getting too complicated or overwhelming. I think people that don't like this game need to really sit down and pay attention to what this game is bringing. I have been playing video games my entire life, and this is by far one of the best and funnest yet. I cant wait to see whats next. Expand
  6. KimP.
    Apr 13, 2008
    Greeaaat Game, only I liked System Shock better.
  7. JonnyBoy
    Jun 15, 2008
    I live to play 1st person shooters. and this is a great one. clean graphics that don't require too much from your hardware. I just felt that the game just seemed a little repetitive toward the end. it has a decent selection of weapons but it could have had more. You can go thru almost the whole game with barely using his "powers". so they are nearly useless half the time. the game I live to play 1st person shooters. and this is a great one. clean graphics that don't require too much from your hardware. I just felt that the game just seemed a little repetitive toward the end. it has a decent selection of weapons but it could have had more. You can go thru almost the whole game with barely using his "powers". so they are nearly useless half the time. the game can get a little freaky. just watch out for people to randomly show up out of nowhere. Expand
  8. AnonymousMC
    Jul 28, 2008
    "Ridiculous game. Bad graphics, bad level design, unrealistic, bad lighting, bad textures, bad water animation etc. that with everything maxed. The PC version is broken because mouse controls are non existent, as in too high acceleration. waste of money, waste of time."
    really?? bad graphics? what is wrong with you? obviously you play on too nice of a pc to play fun games. I played both 360 and pc version and both were amazing and this game never failed to amaze me. At first I will admit things were confusing but they knew that (the creators) and they sorted everything out in the end and at that moment of enlightenment at the end I just dropped my jaw at how amazing everythign had worked out.
    as far as gameplay itself, it worked fine! no issues, and textures were great too! everything about this game had all others beat (to me). teh general idea and gameplay of it is beyond imagination!
    The lighting added so mcuh to the thrill of the game. I was on the edge of my seat at every turn almost. From just standing at the end of an epic battle to turning a corner the lighting gave the game that creepy feelign the entire way.
    This game was worth all the money I gave to it plus some more I think.
    the only thing that I think that I wish was in this game that disappointed me that it wasnt was a multiplayer, but so? the game is worth it.
  9. AdrianV.
    Aug 24, 2008
    That anonymous douche that gave this game a 1 is far from right. the graphics are outstanding on the 360. Maybe it's because he was playing it on a crappy T.V. Also, the sounds are great if you have a surround sound system. The gameplay and story is amazing. 10/10
  10. AdamF
    Nov 14, 2009
    What can I say, its just simply outstanding this game is, it drives you and motivates you to play on no matter what!, the storyline was amazing with a few twists and turns to keep you on your toes! every little detail of the maps were placed perfectly creating the right atmosphere at the right times!, it also is able to scare the crap out of you with unpredictable happenings! This game is What can I say, its just simply outstanding this game is, it drives you and motivates you to play on no matter what!, the storyline was amazing with a few twists and turns to keep you on your toes! every little detail of the maps were placed perfectly creating the right atmosphere at the right times!, it also is able to scare the crap out of you with unpredictable happenings! This game is a must for any gamer who likes gameplay and/or Storyline! Expand
  11. MarcelB
    Nov 5, 2009
    First time i saw the metascore i thought wow lets try the demo... I tryied the demo and the next thing i was looking for is money.BECAUSE THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING THING I HAVE SEEN IN MY HOLE LIFE. Everything is good, graphics;gameplay;A I;level of exitement; and of course the great weapon choice; just everthing. There just two things i dont like. it never gets updated alwasys the same First time i saw the metascore i thought wow lets try the demo... I tryied the demo and the next thing i was looking for is money.BECAUSE THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING THING I HAVE SEEN IN MY HOLE LIFE. Everything is good, graphics;gameplay;A I;level of exitement; and of course the great weapon choice; just everthing. There just two things i dont like. it never gets updated alwasys the same thing and not enough ammo;health;eve hpo through out the game. otherwise its perfect. Expand
  12. DalekkUT
    Jul 23, 2009
    Best game of 2007, I tried it out at xmas. Didn't work on 2nd map, drivers were out of date. I was so amazed by the graphics and they are still ok now. The storyline is nice, the guns aren't to special they just need an extra BANG! effect you know. Nice feeling firing.
    I don't understand why people are calling it buggy, of course it is the Unreal engine is a little buggy but I had no problems, I mean I had an old pc which was like Nvidia 7800 or something and it lagged which I didn't really care about.
    Graphics on low are terrible and ugly. So I recommend this for decent gamers. Go on, have a try. I cant wait till Bioshock 2, it's been delayed till 2010 unfortunetly. Quite a wait.
    23.7.09
  13. SteveH.
    Nov 16, 2007
    I dont understand why this got such a high score, too much hype, too many people copying other peoples opinions. Its a good game, nice story, graphics ok, feature wise its not that great. No MP, not much into replaying this. This score needs to readjusted.
  14. LucasB.
    Nov 23, 2007
    I think a big part of enjoying this game is to enjoy its story and plot. I believe many users who gave this game a low score just didn't like or buy its story, which left them with a good shooter with its share of flaws. There is not much variety of enemies you face throughout the game, and most of them don't look that creepy. Your guns don't sound powerful like they should I think a big part of enjoying this game is to enjoy its story and plot. I believe many users who gave this game a low score just didn't like or buy its story, which left them with a good shooter with its share of flaws. There is not much variety of enemies you face throughout the game, and most of them don't look that creepy. Your guns don't sound powerful like they should when you fire. I also didn't like some of the complicated controls when handling and switching weapons and ammo types, which can get really annoying during fierce battles. Including the "vita chambers" in the game was a bad decision in my book, as it detracts from the tension you are supposed to feel from dying at any moment, however this is not a big problem as some of the users below were trying to describe, since you can avoid using them and load from last saved place once you are dead. On the other hand, the game has great graphics working for it, although nothing absolutely stunning. You should however have a high-end GPU to see the game at its best. The sound is very well done, especially the recorded tapes which you get to listen to every now and then. Some of the plasmids and tonics are very original and creative. I like the concept of managing your plasmids through Gene Banks, as it adds a strategy dimension to the game, as well as some complexity, which might not appeal to some gamers. The bottom line is: does this game deserve 96 average score? I don't think so. However, it is a very good FPS with some very original ideas and pretty graphics. You will enjoy it very much as long as you are not the type of gamers who search for plot flaws and easily get annoyed by simple gameplay issues. Expand
  15. TruongN.
    Dec 11, 2007
    Nice game, but really, sort of different and strange on the PC. But my assumption that this beats Halo 3.
  16. JoeSomebody
    Dec 25, 2009
    One of the greatest games of the millenium! It stands toe to toe with other instant classics like Half Life, Half Life 2 and Call of Duty 4. This is definitely one of the most diverse, innovative and artistic games in history.
  17. DME
    Nov 5, 2012
    BioShock is one of the greatest single-player games I've ever experienced. It's not quite as good as Half-Life 2, but it's up there. I played BioShock with a wired Xbox 360 controller so I can't comment on the PC controls, which many reviewers have complained about. The game has a few annoyances, though. The lip-syncing for the Little Sisters is atrocious. The actions of refilling EVEBioShock is one of the greatest single-player games I've ever experienced. It's not quite as good as Half-Life 2, but it's up there. I played BioShock with a wired Xbox 360 controller so I can't comment on the PC controls, which many reviewers have complained about. The game has a few annoyances, though. The lip-syncing for the Little Sisters is atrocious. The actions of refilling EVE and reloading weapons both use the same key, which may cause you to randomly throw away precious EVE when you meant to reload. Death doesn't punish you, because damage dealt to enemies remains persistent between lives. And the last annoyance I have with BioShock is how the game likes to screw everything up when you try to minimize it or switch windows while it's running on your computer. Apart from those four problems, BioShock is very engrossing. Great narrative and voice-acting, great level-design, varied gameplay, and awesome atmosphere. I even liked how the game kept ammunition and supplies very scarce. It forces you to conserve what you have and think before you act. All-in-all, I highly recommend BioShock, Expand
  18. Sep 27, 2012
    Its now 2012 and i still haven't played a game with an original story and atmosphere like this. The opening scenes of Bioshock, where you crash and discover Rapture, are still one of my favorites in any game or film.
  19. Sep 30, 2010
    Omgosh I totally loved playing this game!! The story was very in depth and it really made you want more and more so i felt like it was hard to put down. The guns were alot of fun and very creative. The gameplay was very smooth. It had a great story to it. The ending of the game can change on how you play it the game. The characters of the game had fun personalities, even the enemies wereOmgosh I totally loved playing this game!! The story was very in depth and it really made you want more and more so i felt like it was hard to put down. The guns were alot of fun and very creative. The gameplay was very smooth. It had a great story to it. The ending of the game can change on how you play it the game. The characters of the game had fun personalities, even the enemies were just fun to listen to. The music in game just brought you into the action. I loved hearing the old time music in the back ground in alot of places. It had a unique feel to it. It's one of those games you have to play twice to full understand everything, its like a movie and you get to this one part in the movie and then it all makes sense. It is a great game! It is a must have for any first person shooter fan! Expand
  20. Jul 31, 2011
    The game was good, nothing amazingly special as the critic scores indicate but good. The graphics are great, the game itself is very unique compared to other fps's and mixes rpg elements into the gameplay allowing one to upgrade ones weapons and powers although the game feels repetitive at times, the game also has 3 endings which is unusual for a Fps , the story in my opinion was averageThe game was good, nothing amazingly special as the critic scores indicate but good. The graphics are great, the game itself is very unique compared to other fps's and mixes rpg elements into the gameplay allowing one to upgrade ones weapons and powers although the game feels repetitive at times, the game also has 3 endings which is unusual for a Fps , the story in my opinion was average and not that great and was told basically just through radio and old tapes this is not a bad thing, its just that it shouldn't have just been told this way as it was not very difficult to miss out on hearing important information, i believe they should have used bit more cinematics and cut scenes to tell the story, the main part of the story i enjoyed was the actual ending based on how many little sisters you save. I liked the idea of having the setting underwater but gets very tedious and boring when you reach the half way point in the game as there is little variation and one sometimes forgets one is underwater. Pros: Unique, long, great graphics, good ending. Cons: Repetitive setting as well as gameplay at times, story wasn't told clearly enough. 8.4/10. Expand
  21. Oct 16, 2010
    Odna iz samyh atmosfernyh igr v kotoruyu mne prishlos' poigrat'. Original'nyi stil', vyverennyi do melochei. Kak shuter igra ves'ma neploha, osobenno za schet plazmidov - mnogie bitvy bylo bol'shoe udovol'stvie pereigryvat' vnov'. Prohodil na samom vysokom urovne slojnosti, chto kuda interesnee, chem na standartnom (chto nablyudaetsya prakticheski vo vseh sovremennyh igrah).
  22. Nov 5, 2010
    Total immersion in this game, with a "steam punk american sixties" atmosphere that you can compare to Fallout.
    A fps with some original ideas and a scary/humorous atmosphere. Hack hellicobots, kill the little sister or get killed by Big daddy, upgrade your genes, shoot the nurses and try to stay sane in mind! a must have game. ho and beware the leakage!
  23. Dec 22, 2010
    Though the game play was great, the story is by far it's strong point. It is by far the best story i have experienced in a video game. Fairly decent sized campaign and a huge amount of fun regardless. This game certainly deserves its rating. A must play for anyone who likes video games.
  24. Dec 26, 2010
    A great game, though the pacing is crazy fast and you never really "get a break" for the longest time. Everyone that played it on a console thinks its the best thing ever, though you'll be thoroughly unimpressed if you've played pc games for years (especially System Shock 2 since this is just a dumbed down version that was made way too easy).
  25. Jan 2, 2011
    The game is very well done with much potential. And 2K did A great job putting it to the max of it's potential. The only fact that made me give it an 8 is that feels the same as any other shooter. It doesn't feel different. And way too easy. I do recommend it though for just a relaxing easy game, with a great twist!
  26. Nov 4, 2011
    Bioshock may not live up to system shock 2, but it's still a great game. my problem with this game is it tries to combine shooter gameplay and RPG elements, but did not do a good job on either side. In a intense shooter you expect to be able to aim for a critical shot, and for rpg elements, you expect something that is truly your own play style. The shooter mechanics in bioshock isBioshock may not live up to system shock 2, but it's still a great game. my problem with this game is it tries to combine shooter gameplay and RPG elements, but did not do a good job on either side. In a intense shooter you expect to be able to aim for a critical shot, and for rpg elements, you expect something that is truly your own play style. The shooter mechanics in bioshock is average. There are no covers, no sniper rifles. All you do just go straight to shoot bullets. There are a couple of powers (Plasmids) that you can use, but only 2~3 of them are actually useful. Comparing to system shock 2 which has a very solid RPG mechanics with minor shooter gameplay, this one feels a little bit cheap. Although the twisted story is somewhat impressive, the two moral paths in this game just does not make any sense (harvesting one little sister suddenly makes me evil?). The only aspect that levitates this game from good to great is the incredible atmosphere. overall, it's a 8 out 10, worth playing through once. Expand
  27. Jan 11, 2011
    I see why this game won game of the year. It is full of original content and innovative ideas I'd never seen anywhere else. Also, I love how they invented objectivism. Also little sisters are hot.
  28. Feb 2, 2011
    Favorite game of all time.

BioShock has one of if not the best story-lines in a game. The steampunk, 1930's are deco style of the city was amazing. All the political undertones from the story and characters made it really interesting. I recommend buying it and playing through it for people who haven't. Play through it more than once and take your time as you go through the game and take
    Favorite game of all time.

I recommend buying it and playing through it for people who haven't. Play through it more than once and take your time as you go through the game and take in the story.
  29. May 18, 2014
    Bioshock is just a classic that every gamer should play. Yes it's an fps, altough different from all the others. And it goes beyond genres because its strong points are the plot , the beautiful world where it is set, the scary and dark moments you will live playing it. It's a classic.
  30. Mar 14, 2011
    Another fine game I have played, with the concept of an underwater city filled with splicers, big daddies, and many other dangerous things. The gameplay is alright, the style is amazing, the characters are cool, the storyline is great, and the non-Alantis underwater city concept is awesome (to me at least). A definite play for your PC or gaming system (except the Wii).
  31. Dec 10, 2011
    Absolutely love this game, getting ready to play it again for nostalgic reasons. I'd give it a solid 9 but wanted to offset some of the more intelligent comments. This game is meant to be an experience - not something for those trying to nitpick at asinine things here and there. For those who had issues with the PC version I empathize with you...not sure what the issues were since I hadAbsolutely love this game, getting ready to play it again for nostalgic reasons. I'd give it a solid 9 but wanted to offset some of the more intelligent comments. This game is meant to be an experience - not something for those trying to nitpick at asinine things here and there. For those who had issues with the PC version I empathize with you...not sure what the issues were since I had none :-( but am also fairly adept at fixing problems in games when they arise ....anyway if you have never played this game and are wanting an unforgettable experience - this is it...for those who like to nitpick at games and think you have an insight into everything...please just skip it and save us your laughable comments on these review threads. Expand
  32. Apr 10, 2011
    This is an experience I could really recommend to anyone I know. When I bought it, I didn't know what to expect, and that by itself was kind of thrilling. As I played through I found myself completely submersed in a world created underwater. The ambiance in the game is perfect from the music, to the late 40's style, Rapture is really something to behold. The story that drives the game isThis is an experience I could really recommend to anyone I know. When I bought it, I didn't know what to expect, and that by itself was kind of thrilling. As I played through I found myself completely submersed in a world created underwater. The ambiance in the game is perfect from the music, to the late 40's style, Rapture is really something to behold. The story that drives the game is as cinematic and complex (in a good way) as anything I have ever played. I have played through at least 4 or 5 times, all trying different ways of going about situations in the game. Also, the mechanics in the game are unique and extremely rewarding, whether you be freezing enemies with ice, are burning them to a crisp with fire, plasmids add another layer of "creativity," to what was an already astounding experience. I can't tell you enough about this game, and it would really be in your best interest to pick this game up, and see why BioShock made gaming history! Expand
  33. Apr 6, 2011
    A fun game, but a little on the short side. Managed to scare me (and people watching me play) several times! Visually beautiful, and the sound track was great too.
  34. Apr 20, 2011
    Very good game, a fascinating environment and many chilling moment throughout the game. There are many funny things gamer could do in the game, especially with the plasmids. combat system works well, too. Nevertheless, the sound in the game (the gunfire, the noise, the voice...) is just mediocre. But this little issue cannot reduce the value of the game. An awesome game that every gamersVery good game, a fascinating environment and many chilling moment throughout the game. There are many funny things gamer could do in the game, especially with the plasmids. combat system works well, too. Nevertheless, the sound in the game (the gunfire, the noise, the voice...) is just mediocre. But this little issue cannot reduce the value of the game. An awesome game that every gamers should play! Expand
  35. Jun 21, 2011
    How do you write a review for a title close to being the best video game ever made? It's soundtrack is a mixture of classical and 40's - 50's era contemporary music which both combine to give Bioshock a wondrous sense of contradiction in it's atmosphere, what with it's crumbling, leaky architecture and dramatic lighting, yet and mellow and angelic orchestral sounds backing the resonanceHow do you write a review for a title close to being the best video game ever made? It's soundtrack is a mixture of classical and 40's - 50's era contemporary music which both combine to give Bioshock a wondrous sense of contradiction in it's atmosphere, what with it's crumbling, leaky architecture and dramatic lighting, yet and mellow and angelic orchestral sounds backing the resonance of sheer destroyed beauty laying before as you wander through the world intrepidly. This dual atmosphere is a constant throughout the entire game, which is a good thing, as it keeps itself consistent, unlike other titles i could name which tried something similar but came up short, thus breaking the illusion that it had. The story is nothing short of brilliant, with your entire life being revealed before you to be none other then the artificial workings of someone else, breaking the characters and your own perceptions of what you really knew. Voice acting is also top notch, with slick accents that are spot on, mature sounding voices, voices which sound real and have some authenticity to their tone and behaviour, and fit the characters their assigned to. You may be thinking "Well it seems like the sound and story are the most effective parts of it", but you'd be wrong. The gameplay sacrifices nothing as there is rather deep customization to skills and powers you can gain. The ways you can go about and manipulate the environments and enemies can only be described as vast and dynamic, would you prefer to sneak past a foe or clobber them over the head with a wrench? Carelessly walk into an open area or set traps with your weapons/powers in some doorways or on the floor before continueing to search the area? Hack a sentry to help you in a fight with multiple enemies or maybe use a power to make one of them fight for you? The possibilities and combinations are nearly endless and it only gets even better when i say that it's all dynamic. That's right, there are very few scripted enemy paths or actions compared to the huge amount that is unscripted. The developers managed to create a living, breathing, fully organic world that feels like it could be real and that you're some nameless joe exploring what was once a glorious city that is decaying because of the very foundation of it's demeanor. This is a revolutionary game which is worthy of the title of "Art" in the highest sense of the term. Expand
  36. May 25, 2012
    I'll begin by saying that BioShock in general is a very nice FPS game. It starts off relatively slow and mediocre, but after first few areas the experience becomes rich as you acquire a lot of weapons and special powers. BioShock definitely has some distinct strengths and a handful of weaknesses too. The strengths. It has a very unique graphics style, with bright colours, which give lifeI'll begin by saying that BioShock in general is a very nice FPS game. It starts off relatively slow and mediocre, but after first few areas the experience becomes rich as you acquire a lot of weapons and special powers. BioShock definitely has some distinct strengths and a handful of weaknesses too. The strengths. It has a very unique graphics style, with bright colours, which give life to the characters. As mentioned already, there are a lot of cool and different special powers, buffs, and types of ammo which add loads of variation to combat, hence keeping it fun and fresh for the most part. The hacking mini-game is also immensely fun. This is perhaps the best hacking mini-game I have ever had to play, because I almost never got bored of it. The game also has an interesting backstory with some memorable characters and quotes. Heck, everything in the game has personality, even the vending machines. However, despite the good story, the storytelling itself is a bit average, and this brings me to the weaknesses. The reason I say the storytelling is average is because most of the story you uncover by listening to various audio tapes instead of experiencing the story as you go along. Another minor weakness is that I felt the health and EVE bars were a bit too small (even with upgrades). Whenever I fought 2 or more enemies, or one strong enemy, I literally had to keep pressing the medkit button to keep healing myself repeatedly, which takes away from the fun of combat. Likewise for the EVE bar as well. After a couple of shots of your special powers, your character had to inject himself with more EVE. And the last weakness I'll mention is that the level design in certain areas was kind of subpar. The colours and the environments are nice, but it's the structure itself that I have an issue with. Like some areas looked too repetitive whichever way you went (Arcadia anyone?) and also some other areas were a bit too big and confusing (Fort Frolic anyone?). And the map wasn't particularly too helpful when navigating through multiple floors. So, despite the few weaknesses the game has, I think its strengths by far outweigh them, because it generally manages to deliver the fun factor (although I find the average critic score to be a tad too high). Expand
  37. Jun 27, 2011
    Shortly before the release of Bioshock I saw a teaser video of the introduction to Rapture commercial by Andrew Ryan in the start of the game, I hadnt seen any of the game play footage yet but it instantly caught my attention that the game was going to be well written but more importantly that it would featured some actual substance in the story. Every time I have played through Bioshock IShortly before the release of Bioshock I saw a teaser video of the introduction to Rapture commercial by Andrew Ryan in the start of the game, I hadnt seen any of the game play footage yet but it instantly caught my attention that the game was going to be well written but more importantly that it would featured some actual substance in the story. Every time I have played through Bioshock I have taken something different from the story and it has since made me think differently to politics and society. To those who have played Bioshock I would highly recommend watching some interviews with Ayn Rand on Youtube. Although I certainly dont agree with the woman, she make some interesting thoughts and gives us something to think about after the game. I never found the game play to be as bad and many claim, although I did play it on a good PC and had the freedom a mouse. The story is also well integrated into the game play from looting your way through Rapture and becoming the parasite that Ryan claims. While playing I did find myself addicted to finding plasmids and further becoming apart of the drug addition themes of the fall of Rapture. The simple fact of Bioshocks story containing snippets of philosophy means that its miles ahead of the dumbass mediocre storylines that makes up most of FPS games in the industry. Atmosphere, sound, and setting are nothing short of brilliant. The art deco is also original for video games. The 3rd act of the game sags, unfortunately the story feels rushed and becomes uninteresting. The last boss was incredibly lame and the ending cinematic I felt was a joke. Its actually disappointing that 2K felt they needed to add that unneeded twist rather then simply depending on what was interesting to begin with. The Art, design, sound, philosophical elements and story integration, and RPG elements in the game play make Bioshock a game that is ahead of its time. The 3rd act of the game is the only set back to it becoming a true master piece. Bioshock is a gem of the 7th generation of videos games. Expand
  38. Jan 1, 2012
    I played the best games (like Age of Empire, Half-Life, Red Alert, Call of Duty, Civilizion III...) and i think that this videogames merits to stay on this podium!
  39. Dec 6, 2012
    Until this day, this game remains as my all-time favorite. I've yet to play a game with as much good gameplay, atmosphere and genius writing. There are decent games, there are good games, there are great games, there are *excellent* games and there's games like BioShock that sit up top. I can't find the words to explain how well done the story and characters are. Using plasmids/powers asUntil this day, this game remains as my all-time favorite. I've yet to play a game with as much good gameplay, atmosphere and genius writing. There are decent games, there are good games, there are great games, there are *excellent* games and there's games like BioShock that sit up top. I can't find the words to explain how well done the story and characters are. Using plasmids/powers as well as ammo-changeable guns is gameplay heaven. The hacking mini-game is fun, but can get old after a while. Now onto the negatives... The graphics are decent, but look very low-res in some parts of the game, including particle effects and water. The physics are not so good, as it's unrealistic and has low fps. The animations can be iffy here and there. Newer PC's have a very high chance of messing with the game - mouse acceleration issues, settings that don't stay consistent, likelihood of freezing and crashing, etc. Overall, this game is one of a kind. The sequel isn't as good, but still enjoyable. Expand
  40. Jul 3, 2011
    Really good game! The graphics are amazing and I loved the gameplay, anyone who enjoys FPS games should play it. The characters are unique and challenging. Can't wait to get into Bioshock 2.
  41. Jul 10, 2011
    Excellent graphics, the world/level design is breathtaking, and storyline is engaging, urging you on for more to find out what happened to all those characters, the city, even though much of exposition came from audio recordings littered throughout the world. Plasmids allow for some interesting interactions with the surrounding (disabling security systems, destroying traps, melting ice,Excellent graphics, the world/level design is breathtaking, and storyline is engaging, urging you on for more to find out what happened to all those characters, the city, even though much of exposition came from audio recordings littered throughout the world. Plasmids allow for some interesting interactions with the surrounding (disabling security systems, destroying traps, melting ice, picking up things via force-pull-like ability) although a select few does seem significantly more useful than the others. The enemy exhibits some interesting behaviour (jumping into the water to get rid of fire, rushing to heal themselves, teleporting) but generally take you straight-on, although they do get tougher as the game progresses, there's not a great variety in combat. Weapons are great fun. The moral choices are relatively simplistic. Tonics are also a bit unbalanced in the sense that some are obviously more useful than the others but does add variety to the gameplay. Hacking can get a bit repetitive (feels like you play pipe-dream every 10 minutes or so) although it was interesting at first. All in all, I really liked the game and won't hesitate to recommend this to others (not sure why there are 168 negative reviews). Expand
  42. Jun 13, 2012
    BioShock is a really good game, but how it got a 9.6 is beyond me. The game looks great and plays decent, however it housed a lackluster story line which offered very little to the "survival horror" aspect that the game was attempting to accomplish. Now, I'm not saying that it was a bad title, in fact it's far from that, because it still managed to keep my attention. I'm merely questioningBioShock is a really good game, but how it got a 9.6 is beyond me. The game looks great and plays decent, however it housed a lackluster story line which offered very little to the "survival horror" aspect that the game was attempting to accomplish. Now, I'm not saying that it was a bad title, in fact it's far from that, because it still managed to keep my attention. I'm merely questioning the high metascore the game received. Expand
  43. Jul 27, 2011
    BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED. Every game played since has had to live up to its standards. Amazing ending, mind-blowing plot-twists, spectacular artwork. Creative gameplay that goes above and beyond traditional FPS. astounding.
  44. Sep 28, 2011
    A one of a kind FPS game. Stable, great graphics and sound and a very creative and interesting story and features. A few slow points especially under water where you cannot really do anything.
  45. Oct 7, 2011
    Spectacular game. One of the best game storylines in ever, extremely fun gameplay, really good dialog, and while it's not entirely horror, it definitely sent some chills down my spine. It's also really creative, little sister & big daddies, the plasmeds, all of it. It's a truly perfect game.
  46. Nov 10, 2011
    Thoroughly enjoyed this game for the atmosphere and story - took me a while to get my controls happy before I started playing (like all PC FPS games) but once I was in I was hooked. If you enjoyed Half Life 1 I would say this is essential playing.

Easily on my top 10 games of all time!
  47. Dec 4, 2011
    Great game which you could specify as a haunted house shooter. Graphics are great, story is entertaining with nice plot twists. The game play is challenging. Normally I don't play linear games multiple times but with this one I couldn't resist. Perfect.
  48. Nov 14, 2011
    Mesmerizing background setting and sophisticating story make Bioshock not only a game, but also great movie and novel. The combat system is hell lot of fun once you are used to it, and it will become one of the best "shooting" experience ever. The art style is distinguish and actually, astonishing, that the developer really do want to put something different on the market for people toMesmerizing background setting and sophisticating story make Bioshock not only a game, but also great movie and novel. The combat system is hell lot of fun once you are used to it, and it will become one of the best "shooting" experience ever. The art style is distinguish and actually, astonishing, that the developer really do want to put something different on the market for people to choose, and I love that decision.

Game of the Year. Period.
  49. Jun 14, 2014
    Game: Bioshock
    Genre: First Person Shooting - Horror
    Developer: 2K Games System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 85/100 Value Score: 8.5/10 • Story: 10/10 • Characters: 8/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 8/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 6/10 • Length: 8/10 • Replay Value: 6/10 • Player Value: 9/10 Pros +Great story and narration between the characters - a lot of back story
    Game: Bioshock

• Music: 6/10
    • Length: 8/10
    • Replay Value: 6/10
    • Player Value: 9/10

Pros
    +Great story and narration between the characters - a lot of back story to fill you with the lore.
    +Great atmosphere that will bring you both awe and shock
    +Gameplay mechanics are great, unique and gives you a variety of skills and abilities for a FPS genre game
    +Multiple Endings based on a morale decision you make within the game

Cons
    -Music is forgettable or not even noticeable majority of the game
    -Visuals at certain points in the game look like they are from the 6th gen rather than the 7th gen which Bioshock is from.
    -Not much replay value
  50. Feb 18, 2012
    This game is original and keeps me interested in every aspect of it's madness.
    The graphics are still great in 2012.... and gameplay is bar none very good.
    No glitches and no horrible hardware conflicts.
    Lots of blood and tonnes of mad action.
    Bioshock 2 delivers the same enjoyment so all i can say is get it now!!
  51. Mar 7, 2012
    I had just gotten around to playing it for the first time, and I have to say, the hype was right! It has a creepy atmosphere, awesome story, and great gameplay. It's a must play.
  52. Nov 27, 2011
    Sophisticated story, original gameplay, great visuals. Any way I see it, this game is a masterpiece. The diversity of weapons and powers lets you be creative on the way of killing your fellow crazy enemy. The story is wonderful and intelligent, but it's sometimes hard to hear because of always being talked on a radio, even during a fighting scene with a lot of noise. The combats againstSophisticated story, original gameplay, great visuals. Any way I see it, this game is a masterpiece. The diversity of weapons and powers lets you be creative on the way of killing your fellow crazy enemy. The story is wonderful and intelligent, but it's sometimes hard to hear because of always being talked on a radio, even during a fighting scene with a lot of noise. The combats against the big daddies are very impressive, but you get used to it after a little bit. It always has this great "creepy" feeling without being straight out scary, which gives the game a nice charm. Anyways, for what it is, this game is probably one of the greatest games ever made. Expand
  53. Dec 8, 2011
    best game, amazing mood of the underwater city, many weapons with different bullets, smart enemies (mostly) and the icon - the the big daddy, every fps fan should play this game cause it's wotrh every hour spend with it
  54. Dec 26, 2011
    This game is pretty good with alot of detail and a pretty good story line. The graphics are also pretty decent as well as the effects. I like how you can make a lot of different choices in what you want to do or where to go or how to play. The only reason I knock off one point is because it really can be very tough trying to kill some characters and you die so many times because you haveThis game is pretty good with alot of detail and a pretty good story line. The graphics are also pretty decent as well as the effects. I like how you can make a lot of different choices in what you want to do or where to go or how to play. The only reason I knock off one point is because it really can be very tough trying to kill some characters and you die so many times because you have to approach very big characters (aka big daddy and little sister) that have more life and power than you or any of your weapons. But its not bad enough to stop playing the game. Expand
  55. Dec 14, 2011
    Standing proudly atop my top 5 list, Bioshock is a gem of a game that is as exciting on the surface as it is deep within. In it, you play Jack, the silent protagonist whose sole chance of survival in the underwater world rests in the hands of a friendly voice over a shortwave radio. With nowhere to go and no knowledge of what lies within, you are forcibly plunged into the deep, dark cityStanding proudly atop my top 5 list, Bioshock is a gem of a game that is as exciting on the surface as it is deep within. In it, you play Jack, the silent protagonist whose sole chance of survival in the underwater world rests in the hands of a friendly voice over a shortwave radio. With nowhere to go and no knowledge of what lies within, you are forcibly plunged into the deep, dark city of Rapture, where mystery and controversy plague every bloody hall. Prominently displayed throughout the game is the motif of objectivism, a philosophical idea popularized by author Ayn Rand. Simply put, it is the belief that putting oneself before others--and therefore focusing on honing your own talents--is inherently good. Bioshock deals with more social and philosophical issues than can be explained in a simple review, and must be experienced firsthand to garner the full effect. It is amazing in every right (except for the combat system, which could use a bit of work), and is more than deserving of its great reviews. The greatest part about it--for me, at least--was not actually playing the game, but afterwards, when I was digging through the facts of Bioshock online and discovering the untold truths that were hidden so cleverly throughout the story. It is a great game that lasted much longer than I expected (especially for such a linear shooter) and, oddly enough, it still manages to lure me back to the city of Rapture from time to time. Expand
  56. Jun 16, 2012
    I feel as this game was as complete as it could be, amazing graphics, good sound, nice particle effects and amazing ideas behind all of this. The setting is well made and the story is good at the beginning and great when you get to a big plot twist and the ending. Some people say this game is scary however the suspense and horror wears off as you progress through the game maybe because youI feel as this game was as complete as it could be, amazing graphics, good sound, nice particle effects and amazing ideas behind all of this. The setting is well made and the story is good at the beginning and great when you get to a big plot twist and the ending. Some people say this game is scary however the suspense and horror wears off as you progress through the game maybe because you start getting used to the setting and you know what to expect. The shooting is good also but it could be better and I found ammo to be scarce which made the situation more complicated. Overall I do recommend it since there is nothing to dislike apart from some tiny flaws here and there. Expand
  57. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is simply one of the greatest ever made. The game play is a new and exciting twist on the old FPS style of game. The story is deep and compelling with twists and turns that you never see coming. I love the basis on the classic Ayn Rand novel. Any of the negative reviews i have read are from people who did not seem to really give it a chance and who did not play enough to get aThis game is simply one of the greatest ever made. The game play is a new and exciting twist on the old FPS style of game. The story is deep and compelling with twists and turns that you never see coming. I love the basis on the classic Ayn Rand novel. Any of the negative reviews i have read are from people who did not seem to really give it a chance and who did not play enough to get a real understanding of the FANTASTICALLY written story. If you give this game a chance and play it through to the end then i give you my word it will be worth it. Expand
  58. Jul 21, 2014
    A decent FPS game with RPG and stealth elements that tells a decent story loaded with twists and turns with multiple endings depicting a one mans effort to create a wonderful utopia in an underwater city called Rapture yet tragically ending in a dystopian retro/Diesel punk nightmare apart from its well told story let down sightly by its bullet spongy enemeies FPS RPG elements are lackingA decent FPS game with RPG and stealth elements that tells a decent story loaded with twists and turns with multiple endings depicting a one mans effort to create a wonderful utopia in an underwater city called Rapture yet tragically ending in a dystopian retro/Diesel punk nightmare apart from its well told story let down sightly by its bullet spongy enemeies FPS RPG elements are lacking and linear gameplay. Expand
  59. Jan 1, 2012
    The best fps game in the last year. Nice graphics, fantastic gameplay, amazing story and a deep ocean city ready for exploration. This is how must be a modern fps game.
  60. Jan 6, 2012
    This is one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played. The game is pretty scary to me, being isolated in this underground city filled with effed up mutant people that are just effed. :( . I couldn't reach the end because the isolation took over and the gameplay just didn't lick with me. It's an 8 for its atmosphere,
  61. Aug 29, 2012
    i am gay i am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi ami am gay i am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gay Expand
  62. May 4, 2012
    I have heard a lot of good things about this game, and I have finally finished it. Truth is, the game is really good. Amazingly good. The voice acting is very convincing, actually the storytelling is good because of the convincing voice acting. The story has a little twist, and it is actually deeper than I expected it to be. This is one of the game you would never forget after playing.
  63. Dec 2, 2014
    Bioshock is only a single flaw away from being an absolute masterpiece.

Bioshock has an amazing story with an outstanding setting. The voice acting is phenomenal, the controls are fluid, and the gameplay is extremely fun. There is only one flaw that keeps this game from being flawless: the difficulty. No matter what difficulty you play on, you'll never have any trouble beating the
    Bioshock is only a single flaw away from being an absolute masterpiece.

No matter what difficulty you play on, you'll never have any trouble beating the game. No matter how many times you get your ass kicked by a splicer, or how many times a big daddy smashes your skull with his over-sized boots, you'll always respawn just seconds after you die with little penalty. This somewhat feels like the game is holding your hand all the way through. You can turn off the Vita-chambers so this doesn't happen, but you can still save/load the game at any point... which kinda cancels out the point of turning them off in the first place.

The difficulty is not what makes this game amazing, it's the story, the atmosphere, the voice acting, the creepiness, they mystery, the suspense... the list goes on. I can't go too much into detail about it however, because it's not something I can explain. You have to play the game yourself to understand.

Bioshock is a fantastic game, and my favorite one to this day. It's a shame that it's buried under tons of other games people hold above it. But, I guess under the sea, things are different. (That was a pun.)
  64. Nov 22, 2012
    What an atmosphere! What a story! What a gameplay!

A perfect first-person shooter with role-playing elements. I can't stop myself by searching all over the map. Details, items, upgrades etc. Everything is perfect!
  65. Jan 21, 2012
    The best game I've ever played that wasn't a game made by Bethesda. I just loved the game and the storyline. The only thing I didn't like was that you rarely meet anyone that doesn't want to kill you, I would like the occasional person that says, "Hello," and doesn't try and stab you in the back. The whole background story is interesting to hear too. When I first heard of this game and sawThe best game I've ever played that wasn't a game made by Bethesda. I just loved the game and the storyline. The only thing I didn't like was that you rarely meet anyone that doesn't want to kill you, I would like the occasional person that says, "Hello," and doesn't try and stab you in the back. The whole background story is interesting to hear too. When I first heard of this game and saw the trailer, I thought it was about a pedo trying to kidnap little kids in a wierd city. But once my friend told me that I had to play it and sent me a gameplay video, I knew I would be hooked. And I was, it turned out to be a great game and loved it. So, if your looking for a good game that is linear and isn't an RPG, then you have to play this game. Expand
  66. Mar 10, 2012
    This game is pretty neat.
    I found it a bit short, but perhaps I'm just to used to RPG's. Which bring me to another point: this game is labeled as an action RPG, but I saw no RPG elements in it. I would consider it action/thriller. It's got some creepy moments too.
    This game is pretty neat.

The story is very different from the norm, and the graphics are pretty nice... well the enemies and environment are - for some reason, anytime they show anything of your character he doesn't look so great.

anyways I give a 9... which is hard to get from me.
  67. Apr 9, 2012
    Interesting premise and a good story. You really do feel immersed in a strange world set in the 50's. Voice acting, atmosphere and enviroments are all done with detail and care. Puzzles are interesting, all the little extras are great. Towards the end though, game lost a bit of charm for me and the final boss was little dissapointing. And even with all the different options given to theInteresting premise and a good story. You really do feel immersed in a strange world set in the 50's. Voice acting, atmosphere and enviroments are all done with detail and care. Puzzles are interesting, all the little extras are great. Towards the end though, game lost a bit of charm for me and the final boss was little dissapointing. And even with all the different options given to the player, I still can't bring myself to play the game again. Could be just me... Expand
  68. Mar 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. From a new bioshock player's perspective, this game was fantastic. The art direction was thrilling as the combat was fun, but that's not what makes this game stand out most. A strong story induces an injection of personality into the game's otherwise overused FPS mechanics. The use of vigors and and sky hooks makes combat fast and visceral. Even a bit farther combat is made even better through the use of rifts, basically serially usable resources at the players command. Aside from the combat and back to the story, I loved the relationship between Elizabeth and DeWitt. It changes the tone of the entire game, as your not only concerned about your opinion, but Elizabeth's as well and it creates a nice dynamic.

Some things I didn't like were rather minute compared to the overall picture. For example, although they develop Elizabeth's character throughout the story, it all revolves around death and killing. There isn't a chance to relax and explore the beautiful city of columbia, which is a really big missed opportunity. It also leaves a side of the characters undeveloped. I know how serious Elizabeth and DeWitt can be but what do they like to do with their free time. Reading books can't be Elizabeth's only hobby. Aside for the small issue above, what really annoyed me was the ending. It left alot in the air for the sake of itself. In the end you find that Elizabeth is really your daughter anna and that she must kill you to prevent comstock. This isn't annoying, the annoying part is the missed father daughter moment before elizabeth kills DeWitt. You just spent all this time freeing this girl, building a relationship, you find out your father/daughter, and she kills DeWitt without even a "I love you dad" or anything even similar. That is extremely irksome.
  69. Apr 2, 2012
    The story is great, the gameplay is great, the weapons are great... Even though it's a game made in 2007, this game is better than many games of today. Note: I do NOT know why Steam has rated this as "Action, RPG", because this game is NOT an RPG! This game is a FPS! This game does NOT have XP, Guilds, or any other such bullsh*t that has an RPG.
  70. Apr 27, 2012
    Bioshock is the second best game. Kind of like Timeshift but under water with alot of powers! 10/10 HATER SHIELD ENABLE! THAT IS ALL!
  71. May 3, 2012
    I gave it a try and watched the story at the start, no amazingly new things compared to another games but, when u go in-game u will check this game experience is unique, and i dont feel gaving it a 10, cause yea, have cons, the boss was easy yes and maybe the shooting is kinda different to other fps, makes you feel learning a new way of play fps, but, ¿why this game isI gave it a try and watched the story at the start, no amazingly new things compared to another games but, when u go in-game u will check this game experience is unique, and i dont feel gaving it a 10, cause yea, have cons, the boss was easy yes and maybe the shooting is kinda different to other fps, makes you feel learning a new way of play fps, but, ¿why this game is unique? (and all games SHOULD be), you have to find it yourself!, just play the game u wont regret. I just can share with u my feeling during the entire game: intrigue. Expand
  72. Oct 7, 2012
    Bioshock is probably one of the greatest video-games I have ever played. The gameplay is amazing and combat has an incredible amount of variety. With one of dozen guns in one hand and one of dozen Plasmids in another, there is a multitude of ways to kill an enemy. Light it on fire and shoot it in the face, lay a trap, trick another enemy into attacking it, shooting it with lightning, theBioshock is probably one of the greatest video-games I have ever played. The gameplay is amazing and combat has an incredible amount of variety. With one of dozen guns in one hand and one of dozen Plasmids in another, there is a multitude of ways to kill an enemy. Light it on fire and shoot it in the face, lay a trap, trick another enemy into attacking it, shooting it with lightning, the list goes on and on. The plot drives you to continue playing the game, giving a critical examination of Ayn Rand's theory of Objectivism and Altruism. It take place in an underwater city created by Andrew Ryan, a man who wanted to create a Utopian individualistic society that has fallen into a civil war because most of the population has gone insane hyped up on ADAM, a "drug" of sorts that gives a human superpowers, similar to that of the Sith from star wars (lightning from hands) or The Last Airbender. .. Doesn't that sound epic.. while also being deep and philosophical. This game heavily influenced my politics and philosophy. An exciting piece of art. Expand
  73. Oct 2, 2012
    Bioshock is definitely one of the best games out there and really deserves to be played through at least once. An interesting and unique storyline, great setting and balanced game-play. One really good thing about the gameplay is that it's somewhat harder than the average game out on the market, thus giving the player a challenge every now and then when he runs out of ammo. I couldn'tBioshock is definitely one of the best games out there and really deserves to be played through at least once. An interesting and unique storyline, great setting and balanced game-play. One really good thing about the gameplay is that it's somewhat harder than the average game out on the market, thus giving the player a challenge every now and then when he runs out of ammo. I couldn't recommend this game enough to those who for some reason haven't played it yet, 9/10. Expand
  74. Jun 3, 2012
    Pros: Great story, very creative, surprises in every stage, great graphics. You also have to make moral choices that change your gameplay and storyline. Cons: no multiplayer, no arenas, no open world, linear story.
  75. Jun 5, 2013
    A pretty good game with some very nice gameplay. However it can get a bit boring at times. Luckily there's a pretty good story to keep the game interesting.
  76. Jun 7, 2012
    A simply awesome game: the story, the game play and, also 5 years after the release, the graphics. From the moment you see Rapture the hole game is just a big rush. All the steam punk element and this mystic atmosphere, the battles and all the diary entries. it is just a ingenious game.
  77. Jul 5, 2012
    This game stands out as one of the BEST experiences I have ever had not only in a game but in a story-telling experience overall. As a classic masterpiece of game design, it does not feel dated playing it years after its release. I've never played a game where my mind was so thoroughly and consistently blown, not only once but many, many times. Innovated character customization in aThis game stands out as one of the BEST experiences I have ever had not only in a game but in a story-telling experience overall. As a classic masterpiece of game design, it does not feel dated playing it years after its release. I've never played a game where my mind was so thoroughly and consistently blown, not only once but many, many times. Innovated character customization in a shooter without being bogged down with stat-mechanics. Intelligent and hectic AI. Brilliant voice acting and incredibly atmospheric environmental effects (in both audio and visuals. Water effects, am I right??). Great weapons and action on the level with the most high-level shooters in the history of gaming. I could go on and on. A perfect game and a must-play. Expand
  78. Dec 13, 2012
    This is definitely one of the best games I've ever played. Where it really shines is atmosphere: the graphics, audio, and detailed level design serve to really bring the story to life, fully immersing you in a wonderful and terrifying world. The story is excellent and the way it is told is intriguing and helps create a good pacing. The FPS elements are pretty average--nothing newThis is definitely one of the best games I've ever played. Where it really shines is atmosphere: the graphics, audio, and detailed level design serve to really bring the story to life, fully immersing you in a wonderful and terrifying world. The story is excellent and the way it is told is intriguing and helps create a good pacing. The FPS elements are pretty average--nothing new there--but when combined with the plasmid powers, weapon and power upgrades, security hacking, etc. make a very entertaining whole. Personally I found it very refreshing to play an FPS that actually had a unique atmosphere and a solid story, unlike the multitude of 'modern,' WWII, or space shooters. Expand
  79. Jan 18, 2013
    I love this game, Graphics 10, Sound 10, Gunplay 9, Story 10, Horror 9, ONE AWESOME **** GAME 10/10, i was so hyped for this game, and that Hype paid OF, I PLAYED THIS GAME FOR 20 DAYS STRAIGHT, JESUS CHRIST THANK U FOR THIS AMAZING GAME
  80. Aug 12, 2012
    An excellent game all around. The graphics, sound and environment are good considering its release date, the story and game mechanics are unique and fun. The only thing knocking it down from a 10 is my dislike of the FPS genera.
  81. Mar 4, 2013
    The atmosphere of this game is totally amazing. The sets are amazing and its just a creepy story. It is not a punishing game which I can appreciate. The story telling is well done and the voice acting is great. Its a bit of Jules Verne "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" with a twist of major insanity. This is a very DARK game in every sense of the word and has so much to offer if you canThe atmosphere of this game is totally amazing. The sets are amazing and its just a creepy story. It is not a punishing game which I can appreciate. The story telling is well done and the voice acting is great. Its a bit of Jules Verne "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" with a twist of major insanity. This is a very DARK game in every sense of the word and has so much to offer if you can get past to sort of revulsion to some of the subject matter. It is very gory and I am not fond of that but the art is deco and very authentically done. The weapons are interesting and there is a great variety and plasmids and gene splicing is a great mechanic for a steam punk and I do mean HEAVILY steam punk game. While not perfect, its a great game but still has a few bugs in it as of 2013. Well worth the price since it was free with my preorder of BioShock Infinite! Expand
  82. Aug 24, 2013
    Having played Bioshock Infinite before this one, I have to say, now I know why some Bioshock purists aren't too happy.

This game, during its time and up to now is an icon of outstanding FPS-RPG design. I like the upgradeable weapons, I like the well-done plasmids and other various RPG-like elements. I like the story, the way it's presented and the idea of harvesting/rescuing little mutated, sort-a-like undead little girls to give you powers at a moral cost. The game recycles a lot of enemies but it's fairly varied enough to keep the tension and excitement going. The Big Daddys are tough and brutal on the highest difficulty setting and I love it. I don't like the occasional crashes on my decent rig but it's tolerable and simply puts a small dimple on the overall experience. The atmosphere and environment are well-done. I don't like the seemingly weak guns but they work well with the right ammo--- again, a creative addition that we missed on Bioshock Infinite. Overall, Bioshock is a winner and should serve as a welcome "fine dining" departure from the "fast food" games we get these days. I really hope that future developers of this genre will play this game and set out on a quest to continue its revered legacy.

One can only wonder what happened to all the creative gunplay and RPG-like elements, because they are certainly nowhere to be found on Bioshock Infinite. And I miss them.
  83. Sep 3, 2012
    I am in no way saying in this review that Bioshock is a bad game, the story just isn't for me. After playing the PC version for numerous hours, there is something about the feel of this game I do not like. I have tried, tried again, and again, also watching my brother play. Sadly this doesn't help with my lack of desire to play any further. It does look visually very good, especially onI am in no way saying in this review that Bioshock is a bad game, the story just isn't for me. After playing the PC version for numerous hours, there is something about the feel of this game I do not like. I have tried, tried again, and again, also watching my brother play. Sadly this doesn't help with my lack of desire to play any further. It does look visually very good, especially on full settings, and the game can actually be scary at times, and I don't say that about any game besides this and Maniac Mansion on NES. I just find the whole idea behind this game rather distasteful, otherwise most of the gameplay is very solid and the world is pretty amazing if you like an underwater/dark atmosphere. I have not played 2 yet but I will admit Infinite looks promisng, although I know for me they won't stray away from the weird story. Expand
  84. Dec 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very polished game but combat system could have been better and the world of Rapture didnt impress me. Playing areas were mostly thick hallways etc. If the game wasnt so old i would give it 9 Expand
  85. Dec 1, 2014
    I had always seen the 9/10 ratings on the Bioshock series and wondered if it was worth it. I play mainly multiplayer FPS games so this being a single player title turned me off.

Boyo, was I wrong. Bioshock is easily one of the best single player experiences I have EVER had. The story is engrossing, the environments are so original and creative. The voice acting is superb. This game has all the elements of FPS's nowadays, but back in August 2007.

This game proudly stands up to Zelda, Final Fantasy, and other single-player greats and gives them a run for their money. Took me 25 hours and $5, would have gladly payed $20.

Now, would you kindly do yourself a favor and buy this game?
  86. Sep 28, 2012
    i had a friend that said this game sucks, now hes dead. THIS GAME! the gameplay! the combat system is the best i've seen in my entire life! the twists are just mind blowing and the mobs were creativly made. i like the 50's 60's air. reminds me of fallout: new vegas, which i loved! the graphics are pretty good and the voice acting is very good! the game should be 9.8 and honesly i justi had a friend that said this game sucks, now hes dead. THIS GAME! the gameplay! the combat system is the best i've seen in my entire life! the twists are just mind blowing and the mobs were creativly made. i like the 50's 60's air. reminds me of fallout: new vegas, which i loved! the graphics are pretty good and the voice acting is very good! the game should be 9.8 and honesly i just can't belive there are people that didnt like this game Expand
  87. Mar 30, 2013
    For years shooters were known as games where you move on a rail and kill people. Call Of duty, single handedly by itself, has destroyed all the meaning of FPS. with all the negative thoughts there were behind BioShock....well...it turned to an amazing game. Bioshosck is not your normal COD shooter. its all about creating and re-aliving the lost meaning of FPS genre. Game has a top-notchFor years shooters were known as games where you move on a rail and kill people. Call Of duty, single handedly by itself, has destroyed all the meaning of FPS. with all the negative thoughts there were behind BioShock....well...it turned to an amazing game. Bioshosck is not your normal COD shooter. its all about creating and re-aliving the lost meaning of FPS genre. Game has a top-notch and engaging story which drags you till the end and im not gonna spoil it. Gameplay is just amazing, areas are big and you can explore them looking for upgrades and tools and money. Aside of weapon you will have magical powers called Plasmids, which allows you to extend your creativity upon battles and everytime try a new strategy till you find what suits you. its hard to describe how innovating Bioshosck's gameplay is unless you play it yourself. Graphics are quiet interesting, its something unique. Textures are worked very well and its best to play it on a pc as the lighting effects are much better and water is rendered using DX10 features. Its one of those games such as Half Life 2 which never gets aged, everytime you play it ...it will be different and it will stay beautiful :D Expand
  88. Nov 5, 2012
    Stunning visuals, a compelling storyline, and an interesting combat system all make Bioshock a brilliant game. It does however have some flaws. Deaths in the game are without consequence making it not much of a challenge and taking away from the survival aspect of survival horror unless this feature is disabled. The combat system has some weird kinks and at times feels rigid, but overallStunning visuals, a compelling storyline, and an interesting combat system all make Bioshock a brilliant game. It does however have some flaws. Deaths in the game are without consequence making it not much of a challenge and taking away from the survival aspect of survival horror unless this feature is disabled. The combat system has some weird kinks and at times feels rigid, but overall this game is near perfect. Expand
  89. Nov 14, 2012
    High Quality game with a very interesting story and great setting with a unique combat system compared to most games.
    Still enjoyable after these years and has aged well.
  90. Nov 28, 2012
    I love every aspect in this game, i was in love with this game, i also made the platinum trophy on this one. The plasmids were so useful and there was so many possibilities to kill. The little sisters and the Big Daddies were just genial, i give it a perfect 10, one of my favorite games ever!
  91. Dec 7, 2012
    Truly a game that reels you in to its depths, with its wonderfully-crafted environment immersing you in the Bioshock experience. The ambient sounds, the great graphics (for its time, and still is pretty good actually), and all the other presentation elements that makes you feel as if you really were walking the ruined tunnels and buildings of Rapture. The biggest element that I loved wasTruly a game that reels you in to its depths, with its wonderfully-crafted environment immersing you in the Bioshock experience. The ambient sounds, the great graphics (for its time, and still is pretty good actually), and all the other presentation elements that makes you feel as if you really were walking the ruined tunnels and buildings of Rapture. The biggest element that I loved was of course the story. I have only played a handful of video games with such a riveting, mysterious, and emotional story. I thankfully was able to tune out the noise so that what happens would not be spoiled, but I would have to say that the game's story truly delivers an experience to remember and it is one that every respectable gamer who plays RPG's should experience. The characters are quite memorable and well-done. There is a definite sense of wonder and excitement about Rapture as you arrive and continue to play on, uncovering the many layers of this wonderfully-written plot.
    As for gameplay, it was overall to me pretty well done. The plasmids are a lot of fun and there are definitely plenty of different ways you can use them. The gun-play is nothing special -- I mean, this is set in the 1960s after all. The enemies are challenging enough to keep things interesting, and there were definitely moments where I was going "crap! crap! crap! run! heal! regroup!" haha
    Anyway, I think the strongest display of how I feel about this game can be explained with how I felt when I finished it (it took me about 20 hours over two days. Yes. It was that good). I remember sitting there, shocked at the turn of events in the story and that it was all over and done with, and I also had many questions about what happened next and such. Thankfully, Bioshock 2 was already out by the time I played this so I was able to continue my adventures in Rapture -- more on that when I review that game later on.
    Suffice to say, this game would get a 100 out of 10 from me if I could give it that. If you don't have this game, get it. You will (most likely) not be disappointed -- I say that because you can't please everyone after all.
  92. Jul 2, 2015
    I don't have a lot of experience in FPS. I've played Counter Strike, The Thing, IGI (Both parts). Yeah I know, I don't have experience, right? What I've learned through those gorgeous hours of playing BioShock is how different this game is.

Firstly, it's not just a first person shooter. There's a story in the background that tends to draw out frustration, fear, anxiety, moral choices from the shooter. The eerie music, sound work, amazing architecture, and of course, Atlas' narration throughout the game (not forgetting those audio clips you collect) help set up a very different and immersible world. Whereas the other FPS is simply hide, organize and shoot. Here we also have the independence of upgrading weapons, wasting sweet hours in exploring the area for enticing collectibles, toy around with enemies. And at the same time, get really scared and entertained whilst facing all the big/small obstacles. It's really engaging.

Secondly, I liked how the story advances based on our choices. This, of course, I don't want to spoil. So beware and make the right choices. The ending depends on it.

The game doesn't come without a few faults but I mostly blame it to how hyped it was. Listening to all the "Wow, best game ever" comments, I thought it will be different. So, when I saw the "collect these things for objective/go there for the next objective" I was slightly disappointed. Also, the ending, despite being amazing, felt lazy and too rushed and it sort of betrays the player as he/she has been immersed for so many hours. Of course, I'm to blame here as I expected something else.

Still, it doesn't overlook the fact at how it made me feel. I was amazed, shocked (the twists are really smart and brilliantly executed), scared and at one point, even had the urge to cry. But eventually, it left me with a smile, knowing that I've finally found a meaningful game to spend hours of time on, just so that I get in the Labyrinthine world of Rapture, a graveyard of brilliant artisans gone absolutely mad...

PS: Sander Cohen is my favorite character!
  93. Dec 14, 2014
    An unforgettable experience. I usually forget how great it is until I start playing it again.
    Though, it has a few issues that scream "console port!!!". Fortunately, most of them can be fixed via hacks.
    Here's a couple main issues with their fixes: 1) Mouse aim is wonky as Heaven - fixed via a mouse fix .bat file posted by Steam user "gudnaimsartaekn" 2) No FOV slider - fixed via an
    Here's a couple main issues with their fixes:
    2) No FOV slider - fixed via an app called Flawless Widescreen
    Other than that, it's just minor stuff that doesn't affect the core experience. Sometimes when there's a lot going on, a sound clip may get forgotten to play. The physics for objects and ragdolls have a lowish framerate. Overall, the game performs very well on low-med hardware, even with forced power-hungry anti-aliasing.
    I rate it 9/10 WITH the fixes. Without... 7.5/10. Worth playing no matter what.
    Now with technical stuff out of the way, I must say the story, characters, setting, immersion, art style and gameplay are all excellent! The hacking puzzles are a little overdone (sequel is way better), but if you've got a mouse, you'll have the upper hand over a gamepad every time and won't get as annoyed when hacking.
    Conclusion: If you don't mind some troubleshooting to get the best experience, GREAT! Then PC is for you. If you hate doing things on your own, go the peasant route; play the console, enjoy the jaggies, cinematic framerate and massive amounts of aim assist. Hahaha. Kidding about the peasant part. I like consoles to some degree. My wife beat Bioshock on PS3 five times in Standard Definition (Oh, the agony!), so I tuned everything up for her on my PC... 75fps (v-synced), 95 FOV, 4x SGSSAA, precise mouse aim, etc. I won't forget her reaction :P
    One thing I wish would work in Bioshock is Nvidia's HBAO+ (ambient occlusion). When it works, it looks fantastic! But sadly it flickers when viewing certain angles, sooo can't have that. Oh well.
    Anyway, great game. Play it if you haven't.
  94. Jan 28, 2013
    This game has hundreds and hundreds of pros, and only one or two cons. Let's start with the cons, since there are less. Although the enemy AI is fairly intelligent, they think as tactically as a genetic abomination can, and the artwork involved in them is astounding. On the other hand, you spend so much time fighting them it gets a bit repetitive which does make it kind of boring. TheThis game has hundreds and hundreds of pros, and only one or two cons. Let's start with the cons, since there are less. Although the enemy AI is fairly intelligent, they think as tactically as a genetic abomination can, and the artwork involved in them is astounding. On the other hand, you spend so much time fighting them it gets a bit repetitive which does make it kind of boring. The scavenging for materials in this game is essential to it, but I found it a bit annoying because you need so much ammo for so many different guns plus eve and first aid kits, but still bearable. Then there are the pros. First of all, the sound is great. The sounds of Rapture are always swimming around your mind, accompanied with the crazy screams of splicers and big daddies and little sisters. The atmosphere is extremely creepy and enveloping, combined with the fact that just a few splicers can be such a huge threat makes you always want to watch your back and immerses you in the game. The plot is very intricate and although hard to follow, if you research the game a little and listen to the diaries you find yourself surrounded by the vast history of Rapture, even though the city didn't get very far. Andrew Ryan and Frank Fontaine are the perfect anatagonists for the story since they are both wicked and evil and make you want to hate them but also make you interested in them. The graphics are great, especially for a 2007 game, and the details in some of the splicers and the ruins of Rapture is insane. The game has two endings which are decided by how many little sisters you rescue/harvest and although this isn't that impressive, the choice of either rescuing or harvesting them pops up as many times as you fend off those big daddies and can prove a challenge to decide at times. Other times you're so enraged by all the times you had to jump out of the vita-lyzer and waste even more ammo on the big daddy you don't even care anymore. The weapons and plasmids are interesting, but it's obviously the plasmids that shine and make the game even more innovative.You have many plasmids to choose from, and eventually get so many you need to start strategically thinking which to put in your plasmid slots every time you pass a gene bank. There are many different times and places to use the plasmids and can provide an extremely strategic advantage or barely damage your adversary depending on how you use it. The weapons aren't bad either, and as you progress the game you get a few more pop up and can be upgraded using power to the people stations. Overall the game is fun, (although repetitive) and keeps you moving (although you sometimes just want a break.) Bioshock is a great game, and if you haven't bought it, still might be worth the buy. Expand
  95. Aug 20, 2014
    It was not impossible to build Rapture at the bottom of the sea. It was impossible to build it anywhere else. - Andrew Ryan .
    It's simply amazing.Great story,great game play and a strange world.
  96. Feb 12, 2013
    great game, great graphics, great story, great gameplay, and it rebooted its previous release called system shock 2'. created a new series and the 2nd one is even more.
  97. Feb 11, 2013
    Great Shooter with role play and horror-elements.Very fascinating locations and creepy characters. Many weapons (unfortunately with the most of them you deal damage like throwing with cotton balls later in the game) and an interesting story. Only the high difficulty level in the later sections, the lack of different enemy-types and the weak weapons are negative points.
  98. Feb 13, 2013
    Best game I ever played before. Great story, great atmosphere, great gameplay, great graphics. Rapture is a precious gem that will remain forever in the history of videogame.
  99. Jul 7, 2014
    8 hours spent in this game.. And honestly the game wasn't that great at all. The high scores attributed to this game is somewhat inaccurate imho. It suffers from poor optimisation (clunky controls, broken audio, etc), and the overall gameplay is very linear. I remember that i once even called it the 'walking simulator', because that's the fact. You basically walk around (no sprinting) from8 hours spent in this game.. And honestly the game wasn't that great at all. The high scores attributed to this game is somewhat inaccurate imho. It suffers from poor optimisation (clunky controls, broken audio, etc), and the overall gameplay is very linear. I remember that i once even called it the 'walking simulator', because that's the fact. You basically walk around (no sprinting) from an area to another. And god is it boring.

One praise that i have for this game is the amazing storyline, I loved it.
  100. Apr 30, 2013
    I myself do not critic games like that. But this is an exception. Bioshock has proven itself and to everyone else why it is one of the greatest games ever created. The only problem is that you must have a plan set for when facing the Big Daddy if you do not want often visits to the Vita chamber.

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.