8.4

1. Dec 4, 2012
    It is a beautiful but strange world. Fascinating environment that is eerie, elegant music that is mysterious, lovely children that is under external control, dramatic plot and touching ending depict a unprecedented world in the game of bioshock. Maybe, this is the most artistic violent game, almost all would be "shocked" after finishing this game. Maybe, this is the game with the deepestIt is a beautiful but strange world. Fascinating environment that is eerie, elegant music that is mysterious, lovely children that is under external control, dramatic plot and touching ending depict a unprecedented world in the game of bioshock. Maybe, this is the most artistic violent game, almost all would be "shocked" after finishing this game. Maybe, this is the game with the deepest content. 9.7/10 from IGN really says it all.(My rating: 10/10 absolutely) Expand
  2. Oct 17, 2013
    the original, and probably still the best. Incredible setting, amazing atmosphere, great use of tactics and powers, and of course, quite an incredible plot twist. A worth successor to SS2
  3. Oct 16, 2013
    awesome. reminds me of deus ex, but this one is better. even my girlfriend got addicted to the game. and i dont have to set the config to minimum like crysis and such because it´s an old game. the retro setting is amazing, scary in a kind of uncanny feeling. the character progression as you pick up these buffs or feats canniters is really fun and rewarding and you can try out as manyawesome. reminds me of deus ex, but this one is better. even my girlfriend got addicted to the game. and i dont have to set the config to minimum like crysis and such because it´s an old game. the retro setting is amazing, scary in a kind of uncanny feeling. the character progression as you pick up these buffs or feats canniters is really fun and rewarding and you can try out as many different skill settings you want. great game, i can´t believe i´d never played it before Expand
  4. Feb 27, 2012
    The setting defines this game. While it might not have as many options or pathways as the intelligent deus ex - what it does do is create a world you have never seen before, tell a story you have never heard, and give you gameplay that is slightly more simple version of the masterpiece that is system shock 2. This game stands tall, defies time and aging - and stands as a beacon of lightThe setting defines this game. While it might not have as many options or pathways as the intelligent deus ex - what it does do is create a world you have never seen before, tell a story you have never heard, and give you gameplay that is slightly more simple version of the masterpiece that is system shock 2. This game stands tall, defies time and aging - and stands as a beacon of light and a template for creating original worlds. Expand
  5. May 17, 2011
    A towering achievement. The meticulous attention to detail, deep combat options, and extremely engaging setting make for an unforgettable experience. The people who give this game anything other than the positive review it deserves should probably go get stomped on by a Big Daddy for not realizing the beauty of this game.
  6. Aug 5, 2013
    This is one of the few games that had me saying WOW throughout the whole game from the first big daddy encounter to some shocking revelations...this game had me immersed with its rich atmosphere and story the entire time.
  7. Jun 10, 2013
    Bustergundam4's "Bioshock Review"
    Platform: PC
    Rating 5/5 stars 06/06/13 Fun factor : I have to say it was extremely fun playing Bioshock for the PC .I actually enjoyed the nerve shaking surprises that will definitely catch you off guard.I had fun killing Big Daddys and Splicers and even saving Little Sisters along the way. Control and gameplay: I have to say that the
    Bustergundam4's "Bioshock Review"
    Platform: PC
    Rating 5/5 stars

06/06/13

Fun factor :

Control and gameplay:

I have to say that the controls were very easy to learn and even easier to remember.Although,I have to personaly warn you that palying without a mouse is like suicide if you don't know the controls.

The gameplay aspects of Bioshock were very likable due to the intriging information that the recordings and side characters provide making you think about what you do before you do it.
    I also like the save aspect because if you're playing this game on a laptop and your battery's almost dead, you can pause the game,save where you are and when you load your saved game,you'll be right where you left off.

Graphics:

I have to take some time and briefly compliment the graphics of the game due to the fact that they weren't cheap.They had some great graphics speaking about the voices and the moving.

Sound:

I liked the sound alot.Due to the fact that the splicers' voices were very well conveyed and kept you alert to their presense.Main characters were a big help as well.
  8. Dec 22, 2012
    To all people complaining about Vita-chamber and the game being easy: YOU CAN DISABLE VITA-CHAMBERS IN THE OPTIONS MENU, also YOU HAVE 3 DIFFICULTY LEVELS.
  9. Mar 16, 2014
    This is a masterpiece, gaming at it's finest. This is genuinely one of the few revolutionary games of all-time. The story is one of the best, the atmosphere and artistic direction are definitely top-notch. This is easily Irrationals best work. The characters are beautifully written and voice acted by some wonderful actors. This is everything that's good about gaming, wrapped in one single game.
  10. Mar 27, 2013
    In my opinion, one of the finest games ever made. My inexperience at explaining will never this game justice. The pure statisfaction and depth most games are missing is found in abundance here.
  11. Apr 6, 2013
    Totalmente increíble, buena jugabilidad, historia, trama, terror y acción. Obra Maestra, sin duda no se compara con Infinite, aunque Infinite también sea muy bueno, pierde la escencia.
  12. Jun 3, 2014
    Bioshock is a game series produced by 2K studios and is honestly one of my top game series on my list. Sit down kids, it's time to learn about art.

The first game starts in the year 1960 with your protagonist, Jack, the sole survivor of a sudden plane crash over the Pacific Ocean. After seeking refuge in the lone light house surrounded by water, Jack finds a submarine called a 'bathysphere' and unintentionally activates it. The submarine then locks him in and proceeds to descend into the underwater city of Rapture. Not only does the name of the city references the bible. But you are introduced to two of the most influential men in the game, Atlas and Andrew Ryan. Andrew is the multi billionaire who founded and established the city after World War II representing the spoiled, and dictatorial upper class, while in contrast you have Atlas, a blue-collar worker from the lower class who is everyone's favorite and leader in the working class.
    Because of the way the city was set up, with such a huge caste difference, tensions naturally began to rise; it also was apparent in the years before this civil war amongst the difference in caste a new bio-chemical drug was uncovered called ADAM. The properties of this drug were breakthroughs in all levels in science, ridding residents of deformities and even gave them superhuman abilities such as elemental control, teleportation, telekinesis, etc and those who used it were called 'splicers' (in reference with ADAM tampering with their DNA). But in its cheapest and most common form, it doubled as a highly addictive drug that heightened violent tendencies, thus eventually sparking a civil war. Jack arrives in the city a year in the aftermath of the war's resolution. Jack teams up with Atlas to leave the city, fighting these violent splicers along the way.

Bioshock 2 follows roughly ten years after the conclusion of the first game in the same city with a different protagonist, a brainwashed man named Delta. Delta was assigned to protect a young girl named Eleanor from the splicers rampaging the city. But after a surprising ambush, he finds himself waking up from a 10 year coma and Eleanor desperate to reunite with him and escape Rapture. When he wakes up, Delta finds himself with a newfound freewill he forgot he was able to have. His time to save Eleanor is almost a race against the clock for Delta because the city is dying, and Delta chose to survive with Eleanor and find salvation in the surface world.

Bioshock : Infinite has a completely different setting, cast, and story, while still twisting the end to relate to its predecessors, is set in the flying city of Columbia in 1912. Booker Dewitt is a man deeply in debt, suffering from PTSD as a veteran of the Battle of Wounded Knee, must find a young girl named Elizabeth amongst a flying city in the middle of another civil war amongst the high and working classes. This city in the sky was founded by Mayor Zachery Comstock, who establishes this city as a very patriotic district of the United States. Booker has no choice but to fight his way through the city and bring Elizabeth down the ground.

The city of Columbia is almost in its bright and patriotic coloring, an American paradise, throughout the entirety of the play through, the weather is bright and happy sunlight, almost blinding in the idea of paradise in contrast to Rapture's overall grim, gritty and abandoned darker tones in the setting. In biblical comparison Rapture is Hell; one filled with murder, savagery, drug abuse, cults and lies. Columbia, however is a well-kept with love and an overwhelming sense of American Patriotism. In each game though, the sheer amount of detail in the scenery of both an underwater city and a city in the sky were amazing and powerful in conveying messages beyond simply setting and artwork.

Throughout the games, the player must make choices through Jack/Delta/Booker on whether or not to kill characters, these do affect your ending, as Andrew Ryan stated:

"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
    This is a HUGE theme across all three games, because how you play, affects how your play through ends., also applying to real life where what a person does defines them. Another huge motif mentioned by the same man goes

"A man chooses, a slave obeys."
    This quote challenges all protagonists' expression/ideal of free will and its definition not only to the player but to the protagonist as well. This also may relate to the earlier quote where if a choice is made, it gives him free will while also letting the choices shape him. This quote, or really the significance of it, plays a huge role in each game and potential choices.

The antagonist of Bioshock 2, Sofia explains:
    "For every choice, there is an echo, with each act we change the world. One man chose a city free of law and god, but others chose corruption, and so the city fell. If the world was reborn in your image, would it be paradise
  13. Aug 17, 2014
    One of the best games I have played. Interesting world and story. It will keep locked in your chair and will force you to play till it ends. Incredible.
  14. Jul 6, 2011
    One of the best games of all time. It was touted as the spiritual successor to System Shock 2, and while it never quite achieved that, it did manage to become a fantastic game in its own right. I have to say Irrational Games have become my favourite developer due to the care and attention they put into their games. Every moment in BioShock has been polished to a high sheen, the graphicsOne of the best games of all time. It was touted as the spiritual successor to System Shock 2, and while it never quite achieved that, it did manage to become a fantastic game in its own right. I have to say Irrational Games have become my favourite developer due to the care and attention they put into their games. Every moment in BioShock has been polished to a high sheen, the graphics are awesome, the style is unique, the game-play is extremely well balanced and paced between shooting, narrative and other activities like exploration and growing your character. The A.I is some of the best I have ever seen. But most importantly of all for me, is the way you can play the game however you want to. If you like to get in people faces with the shotgun and melee weapon you can do that, or you can stick with rapid fire weapons and high explosives, set traps, go stealthy, use the myriad of plasmids etc. Its just a fantastic and game and so spooky to boot. Without a doubt it is one of my favourite all time video games. If you like intelligent shooters then this is a must play video game. Expand
  15. Sep 4, 2011
    Fascinating story line, interesting take on skill selection, and in-depth social commentary make this a great game. I play games for the stories, and I was quite entranced by this one. The graphics were also incredible.
  16. Jul 13, 2011
    This is my favourite game, ever. Its story line is so enticing and the eerie surroundings cease to creep me out. for those who think its not scary, play it in the dark on full volume on a huge tv, then in some places, you'll be **** yourself. The game is constantly intense and its very clever. it needs strategy, and skill to traverse the ruined depths. The plasmids are very creative andThis is my favourite game, ever. Its story line is so enticing and the eerie surroundings cease to creep me out. for those who think its not scary, play it in the dark on full volume on a huge tv, then in some places, you'll be **** yourself. The game is constantly intense and its very clever. it needs strategy, and skill to traverse the ruined depths. The plasmids are very creative and aid your combat very efficiently especially in harder difficulties. The gun aren't anything special, but they're much more fun once you've upgraded them. My personal favourite weapon is the fully upgraded shotgun; just going round blasting splicers heads off. One bad thing about the game is how its main mascot, (the bouncer big daddy) is only your enemy twice, in the medical pavilion, and in the big daddy training grounds. all the other times it comes as the less scary, "elite" version. A final bad hing about the game is how it is fairly short, it takes about 5-7 hours to complete.. Overall, the game is amazing, it never gets boring, I've completed it 5 times. once on survivor, thrice on medium, and once in easy. you won't regret buying it, i didn't. Expand
  17. Sep 4, 2011
    This is amazing game. Very good Shooter + Nice RPG + Very Very amazing and addictive story = My favorite game :) All in this game is perfect. Sounds, models, weapons, locations..... Really all. I love this and advice You.
  18. Oct 12, 2011
    Just amazing! Quite possibly the best game i have ever played. Everything from the sounds and environment to the combat and story was stunningly well done. If you are in doubt, buy it.
  19. Mar 17, 2012
    One of the best story lines that I have ever seen.
    However I don't like RPG's.... Anyway, I loved the environment, So diferent, a real diferent game and no a copy. You should play it if you still without know.
    Awesome game
  20. Feb 2, 2013
    The developers at 2K have created something great! Bioshock is an incredible shooter. In the game, the story of the underwater city Rapture, the Adam and the main character is told. You are sent on a journey that you will not soon forget. By the Steampunk style, the crazy creatures and the soundscape, the game has a great atmosphere. Too bad that fewer shooter attach great importance toThe developers at 2K have created something great! Bioshock is an incredible shooter. In the game, the story of the underwater city Rapture, the Adam and the main character is told. You are sent on a journey that you will not soon forget. By the Steampunk style, the crazy creatures and the soundscape, the game has a great atmosphere. Too bad that fewer shooter attach great importance to the individual players and their atmosphere. By Bioshock gets a completely new gaming experience. Recommended! Expand
  21. Mar 19, 2013
    The only reason I do not give this game a 10/10 is because of the frustrating moments near the end of the game when you lose control of your plasmids and the game begins swapping your weapons on you in mid combat, even when not using a plasmid. The feature was downright annoying and managed to turn a great experience into a temporarily miserable one. They should have kept the mechanic toThe only reason I do not give this game a 10/10 is because of the frustrating moments near the end of the game when you lose control of your plasmids and the game begins swapping your weapons on you in mid combat, even when not using a plasmid. The feature was downright annoying and managed to turn a great experience into a temporarily miserable one. They should have kept the mechanic to plasmid and not weapon use.
    Other than that one feature, even being over 5 years old, this game felt like it was given alot of attention and was very well played out. Even the obviously outdated 'duel wield swap mechanic' was at least felt comfortable and fluid. The world is exactly the type of bizarre world I love to explore in games, and the story had enough gripping elements to draw me in.
  22. Nov 9, 2011
    2K's "Bioshock" cannot be handled as a game. Sure, the gameplay's solid and smooth, but that's not what makes "Bioshock" a masterpiece; it's the story. Based on Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", the game's story is deeply immersive, powerful, and frightning. The broad, beautiful visuals overrides the (kinda) muddy textures. Through the eyes of Jack, a dystopian society of greed and corruption2K's "Bioshock" cannot be handled as a game. Sure, the gameplay's solid and smooth, but that's not what makes "Bioshock" a masterpiece; it's the story. Based on Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", the game's story is deeply immersive, powerful, and frightning. The broad, beautiful visuals overrides the (kinda) muddy textures. Through the eyes of Jack, a dystopian society of greed and corruption is seen underwater. Is man truly innocent and can their crimes be washed away? Such sophisticated question was never asked before in a game, and "Bioshock" answers the prompt back with such epicness and horror, I HAD to give it a 10. GOTY noobs!! Expand
  23. Apr 4, 2012
    Simply put an amazing game. This is the first FPS game where I actually enjoyed the story and wanted to see it through. Most FPS out in the market are focused on multi-player or some gimmicky mechanic but they don't really care about story. Bioshock is utterly different. From its throwback 1920 look and feel, to its eerie music, to its amazing story-telling system of sound recordings, thisSimply put an amazing game. This is the first FPS game where I actually enjoyed the story and wanted to see it through. Most FPS out in the market are focused on multi-player or some gimmicky mechanic but they don't really care about story. Bioshock is utterly different. From its throwback 1920 look and feel, to its eerie music, to its amazing story-telling system of sound recordings, this game was revolutionary. Speaking of story, the one in this game is a VERY interesting look at the idea of government/collectivism vs individualism taken to the extreme.

I never knew a 1-player FPS could be so fun!
  24. Jan 24, 2012
    One of the best shooters I have played.

I don't play many shooters, they just don't interest me, but Bioshock, with its disturbing world, nice story, told through audiologs, and a radio, and great use of conventional weapons and the plasmids, made a deep experience that offers much more than your standard shooter.
  25. Mar 8, 2011
    BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED...and I have played whole lotta games.Review:
    Graphics:10-Rapture looks great,awesome physics(using telekenisis,water and gasoline effects,blowing things with grenade launcher)awesame plasmid effects(like to see them on fire or stunned,fighting each other or fighting with target dummy,being attacked by security or flying with help of cyclone trap)
    BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED...and I have played whole lotta games.Review:
    Story:9.5-Pretty good,great characters and plot,Rapture is one of the most rememberable places i've ever been to(figuratively).
    Gameplay:10-Simply the best,you can chose whether your gonna hack bots and cameras and get them attack enemies for you or you can do it yourself(more of fun).great combat mechanics,interesting idea which is used to maximum,and while closing to the end you are(really) going to need improved versions of weapons and plasmids.I put ''really'' in bracket because game is WAY TO EASY even on HARDest difficulty for more skilled players.But that's cool(you can turn it off on consoles).BUT PC RULES.
    Overall:10-BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED and i've played a whole lotta games.
  26. Jan 31, 2012
    This is one the THE BEST game ever to be produced. It's a model example of environmental storytelling - when you see a room within Rapture you can figure out what has happened in it just by simply looking at it. There is blood, there is mess, there is extreme attention to details, inspiration and passion within those levels that simply spills out of this title. You will be frightened, youThis is one the THE BEST game ever to be produced. It's a model example of environmental storytelling - when you see a room within Rapture you can figure out what has happened in it just by simply looking at it. There is blood, there is mess, there is extreme attention to details, inspiration and passion within those levels that simply spills out of this title. You will be frightened, you will be intrigued, you will have loads and loads of fun!

Gameplay 10/10
    Audio 9.5/10
    Graphics 9.5/10
  27. Nov 10, 2011
    I have yet to find flaw with this game. The achievements were really fun, too. They lasted me about 3 years, but I'm finally satisfied with 1000/1100G.
  28. Feb 2, 2012
    This game is without a doubt up there on my top 10 list, Why? Because its got it all thats why. The game is very aesthetically pleasing with great graphics and a superb track list to go with it. The action is exciting and the atmosphere is quite chilling, especially when played with the lights out. The story I found to be VERY interesting and constantly grabbing my attention. ThankfullyThis game is without a doubt up there on my top 10 list, Why? Because its got it all thats why. The game is very aesthetically pleasing with great graphics and a superb track list to go with it. The action is exciting and the atmosphere is quite chilling, especially when played with the lights out. The story I found to be VERY interesting and constantly grabbing my attention. Thankfully the story comes across through gameplay and the two are integrated seamlessley rather than seperated like in many other games. Definitely worth the buy. Expand
  29. Apr 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Be ready to feel the fear in the city of Rapture, a entire city under the sea, with his own rules and issues, fight against the big daddy's and beware of psycho people that live there, while you move on suspance locations. Expand
  30. Jan 4, 2013
    This game mixes slight horror, great graphics, amazing game play and an engaging story line all wrapped in one cd. This has and will always will be my favorite game. 2K games, keep up the good work and thank you for this absolutely phenomenal game.
  31. Jan 20, 2013
    Bioshock what a great game the storiline and the creativity of Irrational Games and 2k games have done a very original game , although some people say it's scary I find it awesome and funny.
  32. Jan 13, 2012
    Bought during the steam xmas sales in 2008 and only played it last year. Really enjoyed it. Addictive gameplay, full captions, lovely grahpics for it's time and best of all, fun and satisfying gameplay.
  33. Sep 18, 2011
    This game is not Half Life.
    This game is not CoD or Halo, and therefore does not rely on online play to prop it up.
    This game is not an RPG. If you want to play Half Life, Halo, CoD or Oblivion, then play Half Life, Halo, CoD or Oblivion. Some people think that this game is terrible because monsters jump out at you and make you soil yourself. Some people think it's awful that this game is
    This game is not Half Life.
    This game is not an RPG.

Some people think it's awful that this game is so gripping that they had to force themselves to complete the game twice in one week.
    Some people think that killing little girls is a bit yawn worthy (personally, I find that a little worrying).
    Some people can't stand that in this horror game, there is no end to the enemies.
    Some people complain because 6 weapons (each with two secondary firing modes), 11 varieties of magic spells, and 32 varieties of customisation just aren't enough for an FPS.

So given what this game isn't, and all the reasons it's a rubbish game, why should you play?

Because it's fun. The storyline is frankly fantastic. It's so simple, yet so horrifying.
    At times this game makes the player want to throw away the controls and just say "No. No no no no no." because the game makes the player feel like they're the one being controlled. Like you've sat on a rollercoaster ride, been strapped in, then a 300lb pervert with a shotgun sits next to you with a grin.

Now for the serious part of the review:
    The sound's fantastically detailed - everything makes a sound.
    The artwork is superbly done, with every room uniquely designed so it doesn't feel like walking through the same dungeon over and over again.
    The game play allows the user to decide how much they want to play this as a straight forward shooter, or explore and find out more about the story.
    You only ever meet one character face to face in the entire game. And by this point, you really don't want to.
    Everyone else act as overlords speaking into your radio, manipulating your actions.
    This once the horror of the game has died down a little, the insanity of the game can become creepily fun. It gets to quite satisfying to beat a splicers face in with a wrench.
    This game does not in any way lack in detail. While there are only 6 basic enemies in the game, each one comes in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, each wielding something to bash your brains in with.

And it has possibly the best nemeses I've encountered in a game.

But...
    The game does, indeed, have no online play.
    If you don't go out of your way, or don't replay the game, a lot of the plot points will be lost on you (like if you watched Star Wars, and the entire cloud city section were cut).
    Some of the physics are glitchy (due to minor clipping issues), meaning that occasionally, tripping over a crisp packet will cause it to team rocket into the air.
    Whilst regenerating health doesn't have a look-in, there is the fact that death on this game is more an inconvenience as you re-spawn instantly [but is this really much different to constantly saving and reloading?]
    Despite the people who say "I didn't have enough ammo D:", by the end you'll probably have cash and armaments coming out your diving boots, as well as half a dozen secondary fire modes you don't know what to do with.
    You cannot have both a plasmid and a gun readied at the same time (this is fixed in Bioshock 2).
    A neat little arrow always tells you where to go next. While this makes the game easier - it sometimes feels more like the game game is a long, long game of follow the sodding arrow. But on the other hand, it does increase the feeling that you're there to do the characters in the game's bidding, and that you've got no real control.

So there you have it.
    10/10 for graphics.
    10/10 for story.
    10/10 for fun (I've managed to complete the game about 7 times and it's still fun to send splicers sprawling)
    8/10 for QA - there are some issues there. This game isn't perfect.
    9/10 for the details (Come on. How many other shooters have a fortune teller, corpses in bathtubs, a forest at the bottom of the ocean, and vast cityscapes complete with individually tailored neon signs out of every window).

Much as it's frowned upon to say this - but if you play this expecting a re-run of your favourite railshooter, straight RPG, or online repetitive CoD battle, then expect to be disappointed.
    If despite instant regenerations, falling into mountains of cash and guns, and the ability to go back and one-hit kill all those wretched first level enemies for goodies, you still don't have enough weaponry. - then the problem is possibly that the player is bad at shooters, rather than a bad game.

The difficulty can easily be turned up at any point. Instant re-spawns can be turned off. And if you don't like the plasmids, then don't use them.

P.s. Play this game in the dark. And get the sequel.
  34. Nov 17, 2011
    Bioshock is a phenomenal game. It introduces new storytelling methods that help convey an intriguing story without making you feel like you have to "sit and listen" because the story is often (but not always) conveyed WHILE you do other parts of the game - and comes in the form of audiotapes that you find while exploring the mysteries of Rapture. It does a great job of deliveringBioshock is a phenomenal game. It introduces new storytelling methods that help convey an intriguing story without making you feel like you have to "sit and listen" because the story is often (but not always) conveyed WHILE you do other parts of the game - and comes in the form of audiotapes that you find while exploring the mysteries of Rapture. It does a great job of delivering interesting information and backstory about the game's world and setting to the player, without getting boring.

The combat and gameplay in this game were also superb. I don't think I've ever seen a game with so many potentially unique playstyles and techniques for a player to have in the RPG/FPS format. There are just so many ways to approach combat in this game... it really is very well designed. I found myself wanting to replay the game just to experiment with the different weapons, upgrades, and enhancements your character can acquire during travels of the wonderous world of Rapture. This is probably the best game I've played since Half-Life 2.
  35. Jan 25, 2014
    Bioshock is a phenomenal and groundbreaking video game with one of the most imaginative gameworlds ever. The underwater utopia of Rapture is an artistic and fun city to explore. Bioshock’s innovative narration tells the story of Rapture’s high-class citizens through the accessible audio logs scattered throughout the city. The voice acting is brilliant and following the tales of theseBioshock is a phenomenal and groundbreaking video game with one of the most imaginative gameworlds ever. The underwater utopia of Rapture is an artistic and fun city to explore. Bioshock’s innovative narration tells the story of Rapture’s high-class citizens through the accessible audio logs scattered throughout the city. The voice acting is brilliant and following the tales of these secondary characters spruces up Bioshock’s overall story. This method of narration is very effective, because it doesn’t interrupt the main focus of Bioshock: the gameplay. Simply referring to this game as just a first person shooter is doing Bioshock a disservice. It features revolutionary RPG mechanics and unrivaled level design. Scrounging around an area for unique ammunition, Eve hypos, and invaluable weapon upgrade stations are rewarding experiences. Most importantly, participating in Bioshock’s clever level design will prepare you for the chaotic skirmishes with Big Daddies, which are menacing guardians that protect the little Adam factories with their massive drills, rivet guns, and rocket launchers. There are two forms of currency in Rapture: dollars and Adam. Dollars are acquired through conventional means, such as searching crates or cracking safes. However, Adam can only be gathered by the orphaned girls venturing through Rapture in search of “angels”. Unfortunately, Bioshock is no masterpiece, especially the PC port. You cannot rebind plasmids or weapons to a particular hotkey, and hacking machines are time consuming and temporarily bring Bioshock’s exciting gameplay to halt. In addition, the game is also plagued with some mouse sensitivity and audio problems. However, the sound and mouse issues are fixable. Bioshock’s unrivaled story and groundbreaking gameplay mechanics deliver a nearly perfect gaming experience. Expand
  36. Oct 19, 2011
    This is one of the best games I have ever played, hands down. 2K never fails to please. Firstly, the plot is AMAZING. The voice acting is extremely well done, better than most games these days. The gameplay is really cool and new, with the plasmids and everything. The graphics are good to look at, despite some texture errors as the level loads (but that's expected). The music and generalThis is one of the best games I have ever played, hands down. 2K never fails to please. Firstly, the plot is AMAZING. The voice acting is extremely well done, better than most games these days. The gameplay is really cool and new, with the plasmids and everything. The graphics are good to look at, despite some texture errors as the level loads (but that's expected). The music and general ambiance is really cool, making it one of the most immersive games I've ever played. If you're into good story, and a generally good experience rather than just looking for explosions (*Cough Call of Duty Cough*) then this is DEFINITELY the game for you. As a side note, I have to say I am sick to death of people on metacritic **** about either the game crashing or about the "huge score that the game doesn't deserve". If you think the game deserves a 7, give it a damn 7 and not a 0 just to bring the average score down...an average is the COLLECTIVE opinion of everyone. Those people giving it a **** score to change the big score need to think more about everyone else...your opinion isn't the one that should be shown. Expand
  37. Jun 8, 2013
    This is an epic beginning to an epic franchise. It's got story. It's got action. It's got puzzles. It's got everything! It just doesn't have its story told through videos. Even better: The story and interactions happen while you're playing. You save the game whenever you want. The graphics are excellent and the controls too. A diverse range of weapons and equipments. Splendid!
  38. Nov 14, 2011
    Certainly one of the greats when it comes to video games. It is filled with fun mysterys and great action i love it certainly give it a 10/10 at some parts it may make you say creeeeeeeeeeeepy but its not really a scary game. you have to try it.
  39. Jan 1, 2012
    Can just appreciate the unique design and gaming experience this game delivered. Very well made and enjoyable to play. Just missing some features increasing replay value, thats all. Also a big thank you to 2k for not ruining the game by trying to press a mediocre coop mode into it. This current game generation a lot of potentially good singleplayer games got ruined this way.
  40. Jun 1, 2014
    Great graphics for it's time,fascinating story,and the ending is so touching.
    So violent,yet so deep.
    With all if it's faults(due being the first bioshock game),it is really a "must play"!
  41. Nov 13, 2012
    Hands down, the most immersive video game I've ever played. It has the best atmosphere I have ever seen- the setting was initially terrifying, which thrilled me, and this aspect was augmented by challenging gameplay. You are given abilities to play according to your style, using weapons adapted to your preferences. The storyline is a strong point, which is rare for a FPS. The only downsideHands down, the most immersive video game I've ever played. It has the best atmosphere I have ever seen- the setting was initially terrifying, which thrilled me, and this aspect was augmented by challenging gameplay. You are given abilities to play according to your style, using weapons adapted to your preferences. The storyline is a strong point, which is rare for a FPS. The only downside to the game is the repetitive hacking of machines, which got dull after the first 20 hacks. I would highly recommend this game to anyone looking for a memorable FPS. I will never forget this game. Expand
  42. 6nd
    Nov 23, 2013
    While it is currently raining here, I thought I'd take this as a chance to flesh out my continued obsession with Ken Levine's beautifully zeitgeist; 'Shock Series'.

Anywhore, as I have stated a few days earlier (and in the introduction). I love Ken's work, it's the superior pacing, the fresh storytelling, and the bold craftsmanship. All of which comes together, and forms a lovely reprise that allows us. Nay, gives us the ability to stand atop our chairs, finally see what's beyond the heaping pile of the rubbish we usually have had slopped on our plates, and demand better. But after playing System Shock 2, and seeing what advanced game play mechanics we're capable of achieving on the shoddy, limited, broken, and eyebleedingly simple caveman hardware of the late 90's, I got to thinking. How can we keep demanding a dumbed down, overtly simple, and linear experience? A excellent example would be the spiritual successor to the late great System Shock, BioShock. Now I know this sounds like nitpicking, but I found a multitude of instances where it's lack of key successive element's disheartening, E.G. The sexy RPG side, and if anyone reading this has played SS2, than you know exactly what 'sexy' I'm referring to. Actually, come to think of it. I'm starting to rethink using the word zeitgeist. But getting back to my current rant. It's the lack of these element's that were the sole responsibility for it's change from: Serious, and personalized role playing en devour. To: simplistic, and user friendly pick up and play shooter.

Now, don't get me wrong. I've said it twice, and I'll say it again. I love the work that 2K, Irrational, Looking Glass, and Levine put into those games worlds. Really it's just sad to see the majority rule of the ignorant masses, how they have come to completely control the previously unfettered epic that was the development industry, then proceeded to hurl it like a derailed train flung directly into a bridge abutment.

But, I digress. Any real complaints sitting in my head when playing BioShock are usually reconciled, and quite quickly I might add, by the fact that you can shoot swarms of bee's from your hands. And anything that allows you to shoot swarms of bee's from one's hands, well I say it deserves a break, at least for that.
  43. Nov 23, 2013
    I was very pleased with this game. The story is especially the strongest points of this game, along with its setting. Difficulty wise, you'll probably only find a challenge if you play on the hardest difficulty settings, and even then you'll be swamped with ammo and money all the time. The combat also feels a bit... 'meh'. It doesn't really have a lot to the combat, however they did a veryI was very pleased with this game. The story is especially the strongest points of this game, along with its setting. Difficulty wise, you'll probably only find a challenge if you play on the hardest difficulty settings, and even then you'll be swamped with ammo and money all the time. The combat also feels a bit... 'meh'. It doesn't really have a lot to the combat, however they did a very good job with the variation with the Plasmids. I really enjoyed using those. I also found it extremely pleasing to look at, seeing the ruins of what was once a very inspiring city built underwater being filled with mutated humans and armored wrecking machines called Big Daddies brings in a lot of atmosphere.

In short, the setting and story-line is unexpectedly fantastic, though the combat will fall a bit short after a few hours of playing and should definitely be played on the hardest difficulty for the best challenge.
  44. Dec 12, 2013
    Fantastic game. Top-notch 1950s soundtrack, very atmospheric underwater setting. Weapon & plasmid combat balance "feels" just right. Good voice acting, great plot (and plot twist). Nice low frequency rumbles of the Big Daddies (if you have decent headphones or speakers). Bioshock is one of the best games I've ever played, up there with Deus Ex, etc, for "top 5 games of the decade"). AFantastic game. Top-notch 1950s soundtrack, very atmospheric underwater setting. Weapon & plasmid combat balance "feels" just right. Good voice acting, great plot (and plot twist). Nice low frequency rumbles of the Big Daddies (if you have decent headphones or speakers). Bioshock is one of the best games I've ever played, up there with Deus Ex, etc, for "top 5 games of the decade"). A worthy "spiritual successor" to System Shock 2. It's sad that a 2007-era game (which doesn't feel "dated" at all compared to many others) is of a far higher "polished" finished production quality than many bug-ridden 2013 games... Expand
  45. Jun 26, 2013
    I couldn't understand the hype over Bioshock infinite- Bioshock 1 will always remain in my heart as the best Bioshock of them all, the story is amazing and gameplay is pretty fun. I'd say the story and execution of the story bumps this game to 93, gameplay wise it's around 80.
    Recommended!
  46. Jan 8, 2014
    Bioshock has a creepy atmosphere not just in the game but when u consider the whole point of the game which is man having ultimate power.Voice acting is top notch likewise is the level of detail gone on to make the game.The story is mysterious and creepy for most parts and the characters are just brilliant.The only negative about this game is that it has to end and wraps up too quickly.
  47. Dec 2, 2013
    I don't know any other game which has such a great climate as BioShock. It can be really scary at some moments! If you haven't played in BioShock yet, do it now!
  48. Sep 19, 2013
    just buy it it,s goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddd
  49. Jan 21, 2014
    This is the best game I have ever played. The story alone had me playing this all day long, the only time I stopped was to use the restroom. Not to mention the fact that the controls are so new and fresh as well as fun. The game was also based off of a massive novel by Ayn Rand called "Atlas Shrugged". This game compelled me to go read the entire book. And it was a great book, and you canThis is the best game I have ever played. The story alone had me playing this all day long, the only time I stopped was to use the restroom. Not to mention the fact that the controls are so new and fresh as well as fun. The game was also based off of a massive novel by Ayn Rand called "Atlas Shrugged". This game compelled me to go read the entire book. And it was a great book, and you can really see how it fits in with the world of Rapture. This adds a whole new depth of feel for the game once you read the book. Overall this is not just a game, but it is an experience. So much so that you just have to go through it to understand the genius of it. I am proud to list this as my favorite game. Expand
  50. May 31, 2014
    The Ocarina of Time of First Person Shooters.
    I've played lots of games over the years and very rarely has something stood out like BioShock. I was late to the game on this one, playing it years after it came out, but the incredible amount of work put into it made it stand out, even against better looking games.
    It will always be timeless. Goldeneye, halo and call of duties will come and
    The Ocarina of Time of First Person Shooters.
    It will always be timeless. Goldeneye, halo and call of duties will come and go, but Bioshock deserves to join the ranks of Half-life 1 as one of the greatest games in which one shoots other people.
    Story doesnt matter. Characters dont matter. Graphics dont matter. Only what you feel with the gun floating in front of your face matters.
    Very few games give me what I call the Ocarina of Time paradox--I want to play them over and over in order to re experience them, but it becomes less special as I play it more times. I can't wait until enough time has passed for me to play this game again.
  51. Dec 3, 2013
    This is one of the greatest stories I've ever experienced, as well as some of the best gaming mechanics and progression. There's this constant, strange feeling of fascination as you react to the insanity of the characters around you. The world is beautiful and believable with just a few complaints; recurring models and voice actors persistently remind you that it's just a game. Also,This is one of the greatest stories I've ever experienced, as well as some of the best gaming mechanics and progression. There's this constant, strange feeling of fascination as you react to the insanity of the characters around you. The world is beautiful and believable with just a few complaints; recurring models and voice actors persistently remind you that it's just a game. Also, nearing the games completion, there's a fantastic cut-scene that seems to be preparing you for the game's conclusion, but as it turns out, there are several more areas to explore. This might end up making these last few areas feel a little slow, as it did for me, because you're ready for an epic finale but not shown one for quite a while. If you look past these things, Bioshock is hands down one of the best gaming experiences of the past decade. Expand
  52. Dec 8, 2013
    This is one of those "Why on earth didn't I play this game sooner" games. I hesitant to call this game a work of art, because that sounds horridly pretentious. The shooter aspect is alright, the game itself isn't terribly difficult, the graphics are dated by 2013 standards, and the horror moments are not enough to compare it to horror games. That said, this game has am amazing score, aThis is one of those "Why on earth didn't I play this game sooner" games. I hesitant to call this game a work of art, because that sounds horridly pretentious. The shooter aspect is alright, the game itself isn't terribly difficult, the graphics are dated by 2013 standards, and the horror moments are not enough to compare it to horror games. That said, this game has am amazing score, a totally immersing environment, sufficient levels of creepy without going too overboard, lots to explore, and a story that blatantly mocks Ayn Rand while making you think she had many good ideas.

If you haven't played this game yet, you really should. It's an experience.
  53. Jwv
    Jan 11, 2014
    One of the best singleplayer experiences out there, and probably the best game I played after Half-Life 2. Extremely cool combat, although more kinds of enemies would have been welcome; great sound-effects; good story and plot-twist; consequences for player choice (albeit minor); and one of the coolest concepts in the history of gaming ever! One of the best things of the game are itsOne of the best singleplayer experiences out there, and probably the best game I played after Half-Life 2. Extremely cool combat, although more kinds of enemies would have been welcome; great sound-effects; good story and plot-twist; consequences for player choice (albeit minor); and one of the coolest concepts in the history of gaming ever! One of the best things of the game are its gorgeous, large sand-box levels that just beg to be explored, there are also a lot of player-triggered events in each level, the levels and its inhabitants are dynamic and each level has its own unique theme. Expand
  54. Jan 27, 2014
    Calling BioShoch a mere video game is quit inaccurate,it would be more accurate to call it a philosophy book in which you turn pages by brutally murdering splicer(I like to call them sploicers) and other things, namely the big daddies and turrets; and the powerful quotes are instead represented by the Little sisters and the choice they offer, and occasionally-if we're lucky-actual quotesCalling BioShoch a mere video game is quit inaccurate,it would be more accurate to call it a philosophy book in which you turn pages by brutally murdering splicer(I like to call them sploicers) and other things, namely the big daddies and turrets; and the powerful quotes are instead represented by the Little sisters and the choice they offer, and occasionally-if we're lucky-actual quotes by my all time favorite video game character Andrew Ryan the man who provided me with my personnel motto and the must influential phrase of my adolescence :"A man chooses.A slave obeys".
    But don't you think for a moment that the robust story and philosophy of BioShock isn't supported by the gameplay; because it is, up to date BioShock's gamplay is still one of the most original and solid gamplays ever presented in an FPS, heck... sometimes you even get more immersed in the gameplay than the story. I mean you have guns-which is always a plus-;plasmids(aka: the plusest plus of all pluses, maybe after the portal gun and some other stuffs); hacking; gene tonics...extra,extra. What else would you ask for?you know other than taking the HL2 approach and enabling mods; imagine BioShock with mods,Oh yeah;OK now stp imagining before you **** your pants.
    All in all, the original BioShock is a must-play no matter who you are;it got story, gamplay , and more importantly: Andrew Ryan.
  55. Sep 12, 2014
    Some glitches with Windows 8 (yes it's old) but once fixed I could enjoy it though a bit late, good graphics for the time, beautiful scenery like Arcadia, the only problem I have is that it's still very hard to me even on medium difficulty setting, I do lose lives so often!
  56. Sep 19, 2014
    Bioshock is more than just an extremely polished and entertaining first-person shooter; It's an uncompromising vision of one man's attempt to create a utopian society and the terrifying aftermath that his became his legacy. This stands as one of the best examples of video games as an art form: Bold, fresh, and leaving the player with more questions than answers. This game must beBioshock is more than just an extremely polished and entertaining first-person shooter; It's an uncompromising vision of one man's attempt to create a utopian society and the terrifying aftermath that his became his legacy. This stands as one of the best examples of video games as an art form: Bold, fresh, and leaving the player with more questions than answers. This game must be experienced. Now, would you kindly go play it? Expand
  57. Sep 17, 2014
    Great gameplay, immersive setting, a rather haunting story and the rather frequent jumpscares. My favorite game of all time. Now, if you haven't played the game, would you kindly go do so?
  58. Oct 11, 2014
    If I were to be comparing this game to some of the good old fps and pegs, this game would suck. It would be WAY too simple, but if I were to be comparing this to a modern day fps or rpg this would be a brilliant game. I would also compare it to system shock 2, but I never played that(it's illegal to not have played it, I know). This game is a fantastic blend of rpg and fps. The gameIf I were to be comparing this game to some of the good old fps and pegs, this game would suck. It would be WAY too simple, but if I were to be comparing this to a modern day fps or rpg this would be a brilliant game. I would also compare it to system shock 2, but I never played that(it's illegal to not have played it, I know). This game is a fantastic blend of rpg and fps. The game should only take about 20 hours to beat, quite short for a rpg. But it's game mechanics and game play are brilliant, I just wish that it would be a little more challenging.
    One thing that I don't like about this game is that its theme is very dark and gloomy. Although it really fit the game well, it gets VERY sickening and gloomy. It took me a long time to beat it because I got really sick of the gloomy underwater dark and depressing theme, so I took breaks from it that lasted for months. It isn't really the developer's fault, they did a really good job of creating the theme. It is just very annoying or rather sickening after a while. I would give it an eight but I think the game is just made to be like that and it gave me a wonderful experience(no I don't do drugs).
    The game also have a really weird scare factor. The game-play itself isn't that scary, but the soundtrack and audio made it seem scary as shirt. It's not really the jump out of your seat type scary, more of a daunting type and it never gets old.
    Overall it is a brilliant game, it just lacks a bit more of a challenge, and the theme was a bit annoying. Otherwise this game is brilliant(compared to other games of the same time). Also I forgot to mention that it had probably the BEST story of all of gaming!
  59. Oct 2, 2014
    Bioshock may just be one of my favourite games of all time. The game is dark, creepy, fun and challenging. Even not it's possibly one of the most interesting worlds gaming has ever come up with. The dark, fallen city of Rapture gives of that feeling of terror that only well made and immersive game worlds can bring you. The design of the city is beautifully crafted, with interestingBioshock may just be one of my favourite games of all time. The game is dark, creepy, fun and challenging. Even not it's possibly one of the most interesting worlds gaming has ever come up with. The dark, fallen city of Rapture gives of that feeling of terror that only well made and immersive game worlds can bring you. The design of the city is beautifully crafted, with interesting characters, ideas and a city that looks like an underwater New York, making the game even more chilling. Not only that, but the game is an extremly fun shooter. The weapons feel great, the crafting is fun, the enemies are interesting and the story surprising and engaging. This is a game you simply have to play to understand the simple joy of. Expand
  60. Oct 3, 2014
    I just want to say before I start my basic "Pros and cons" Review,I love the "Bioshock" games!

Pros:

Amazing game-play

Amazing story!!!

Amazing art!

kinda scary.

Super powers!

Cons:

It's a little bit Cliché'd

KHAAN

There is really nothing else bad about this game,It's worth a buy :D

So I give this game a : 9/10
  61. Oct 6, 2014
    This game really is one of a kind. It should 100% be above HL and HL2. Those awful games are only up there because they were made by Valve. BUT BIOSHOCK. Dear god, this is a masterpiece. 10/10 You gotta play it for the time of your life.
  62. Oct 14, 2014
    some people says this game is strange, creepy, and weird. but i don't think so, i think this game is unique cause the gameplay are really different from FPS game i ever play. most of this game is a puzzle, yea i say this because something in here is like puzzle like "go to here", "go to there", go to "blahblahblah" and many more. but im interesting in some stage in here, especially killsome people says this game is strange, creepy, and weird. but i don't think so, i think this game is unique cause the gameplay are really different from FPS game i ever play. most of this game is a puzzle, yea i say this because something in here is like puzzle like "go to here", "go to there", go to "blahblahblah" and many more. but im interesting in some stage in here, especially kill enemies with "HAND POWER!!". i want to give 10/10 in here but i think i can't because this game is Awesome but not really outstanding game i think Expand
  63. Nov 18, 2014
    Brilliant. The only thing keeping it from a "10" for me was the mediocre third act. Had they found a way to end it after the "big" reveal in act two, I would have left feeling like I'd just played a masterpiece of storytelling, character, dialogue and haunting visuals. As it is, it's a near masterpiece.
  64. Nov 20, 2014
    Bioshock's dark but beautiful world of Rapture creates a believable environment just a step outside of possibility.
    The story, characters, action and music weave together to create an unforgettable piece
  65. Nov 21, 2014
    I played this game back when it was first released and I was blown away. I hadn't played anything like it. I found it to be completely original and very engaging. Great story and cool gameplay mechanics. Just an all-around wonderful title.
  66. DME
    Nov 5, 2012
    BioShock is one of the greatest single-player games I've ever experienced. It's not quite as good as Half-Life 2, but it's up there. I played BioShock with a wired Xbox 360 controller so I can't comment on the PC controls, which many reviewers have complained about. The game has a few annoyances, though. The lip-syncing for the Little Sisters is atrocious. The actions of refilling EVEBioShock is one of the greatest single-player games I've ever experienced. It's not quite as good as Half-Life 2, but it's up there. I played BioShock with a wired Xbox 360 controller so I can't comment on the PC controls, which many reviewers have complained about. The game has a few annoyances, though. The lip-syncing for the Little Sisters is atrocious. The actions of refilling EVE and reloading weapons both use the same key, which may cause you to randomly throw away precious EVE when you meant to reload. Death doesn't punish you, because damage dealt to enemies remains persistent between lives. And the last annoyance I have with BioShock is how the game likes to screw everything up when you try to minimize it or switch windows while it's running on your computer. Apart from those four problems, BioShock is very engrossing. Great narrative and voice-acting, great level-design, varied gameplay, and awesome atmosphere. I even liked how the game kept ammunition and supplies very scarce. It forces you to conserve what you have and think before you act. All-in-all, I highly recommend BioShock, Expand
  67. Sep 27, 2012
    Its now 2012 and i still haven't played a game with an original story and atmosphere like this. The opening scenes of Bioshock, where you crash and discover Rapture, are still one of my favorites in any game or film.
  68. Sep 30, 2010
    Omgosh I totally loved playing this game!! The story was very in depth and it really made you want more and more so i felt like it was hard to put down. The guns were alot of fun and very creative. The gameplay was very smooth. It had a great story to it. The ending of the game can change on how you play it the game. The characters of the game had fun personalities, even the enemies wereOmgosh I totally loved playing this game!! The story was very in depth and it really made you want more and more so i felt like it was hard to put down. The guns were alot of fun and very creative. The gameplay was very smooth. It had a great story to it. The ending of the game can change on how you play it the game. The characters of the game had fun personalities, even the enemies were just fun to listen to. The music in game just brought you into the action. I loved hearing the old time music in the back ground in alot of places. It had a unique feel to it. It's one of those games you have to play twice to full understand everything, its like a movie and you get to this one part in the movie and then it all makes sense. It is a great game! It is a must have for any first person shooter fan! Expand
  69. Oct 16, 2010
    Odna iz samyh atmosfernyh igr v kotoruyu mne prishlos' poigrat'. Original'nyi stil', vyverennyi do melochei. Kak shuter igra ves'ma neploha, osobenno za schet plazmidov - mnogie bitvy bylo bol'shoe udovol'stvie pereigryvat' vnov'. Prohodil na samom vysokom urovne slojnosti, chto kuda interesnee, chem na standartnom (chto nablyudaetsya prakticheski vo vseh sovremennyh igrah).
  70. Nov 5, 2010
    Total immersion in this game, with a "steam punk american sixties" atmosphere that you can compare to Fallout.
    A fps with some original ideas and a scary/humorous atmosphere. Hack hellicobots, kill the little sister or get killed by Big daddy, upgrade your genes, shoot the nurses and try to stay sane in mind! a must have game. ho and beware the leakage!
  71. Dec 22, 2010
    Though the game play was great, the story is by far it's strong point. It is by far the best story i have experienced in a video game. Fairly decent sized campaign and a huge amount of fun regardless. This game certainly deserves its rating. A must play for anyone who likes video games.
  72. Jan 11, 2011
    I see why this game won game of the year. It is full of original content and innovative ideas I'd never seen anywhere else. Also, I love how they invented objectivism. Also little sisters are hot.
  73. Oct 12, 2011
    One of the best games ever. The music, the atmosphere and the story were all AAA. Unfortunately. since then the series got hi jacked. BS2 was awful and had that terrible FOV problem that xbox games have to have to cover the weaknesses in the processing. I still love this game even today. Just read the Rapture novel in fact so I am playing through it one more time. (something I rarelyOne of the best games ever. The music, the atmosphere and the story were all AAA. Unfortunately. since then the series got hi jacked. BS2 was awful and had that terrible FOV problem that xbox games have to have to cover the weaknesses in the processing. I still love this game even today. Just read the Rapture novel in fact so I am playing through it one more time. (something I rarely do) Still love the brilliant dialogue and the way the cut scene moments actually work within the game, and dont cover the lack of depth and immersion AKA (The witcher 2 etc etc) but add to it. Absolutely brilliant. Expand
  74. Feb 2, 2011
    Favorite game of all time.

BioShock has one of if not the best story-lines in a game. The steampunk, 1930's are deco style of the city was amazing. All the political undertones from the story and characters made it really interesting. I recommend buying it and playing through it for people who haven't. Play through it more than once and take your time as you go through the game and take
    Favorite game of all time.

I recommend buying it and playing through it for people who haven't. Play through it more than once and take your time as you go through the game and take in the story.
  75. May 18, 2014
    Bioshock is just a classic that every gamer should play. Yes it's an fps, altough different from all the others. And it goes beyond genres because its strong points are the plot , the beautiful world where it is set, the scary and dark moments you will live playing it. It's a classic.
  76. Mar 14, 2011
    Another fine game I have played, with the concept of an underwater city filled with splicers, big daddies, and many other dangerous things. The gameplay is alright, the style is amazing, the characters are cool, the storyline is great, and the non-Alantis underwater city concept is awesome (to me at least). A definite play for your PC or gaming system (except the Wii).
  77. Dec 10, 2011
    Absolutely love this game, getting ready to play it again for nostalgic reasons. I'd give it a solid 9 but wanted to offset some of the more intelligent comments. This game is meant to be an experience - not something for those trying to nitpick at asinine things here and there. For those who had issues with the PC version I empathize with you...not sure what the issues were since I hadAbsolutely love this game, getting ready to play it again for nostalgic reasons. I'd give it a solid 9 but wanted to offset some of the more intelligent comments. This game is meant to be an experience - not something for those trying to nitpick at asinine things here and there. For those who had issues with the PC version I empathize with you...not sure what the issues were since I had none :-( but am also fairly adept at fixing problems in games when they arise ....anyway if you have never played this game and are wanting an unforgettable experience - this is it...for those who like to nitpick at games and think you have an insight into everything...please just skip it and save us your laughable comments on these review threads. Expand
  78. Apr 10, 2011
    This is an experience I could really recommend to anyone I know. When I bought it, I didn't know what to expect, and that by itself was kind of thrilling. As I played through I found myself completely submersed in a world created underwater. The ambiance in the game is perfect from the music, to the late 40's style, Rapture is really something to behold. The story that drives the game isThis is an experience I could really recommend to anyone I know. When I bought it, I didn't know what to expect, and that by itself was kind of thrilling. As I played through I found myself completely submersed in a world created underwater. The ambiance in the game is perfect from the music, to the late 40's style, Rapture is really something to behold. The story that drives the game is as cinematic and complex (in a good way) as anything I have ever played. I have played through at least 4 or 5 times, all trying different ways of going about situations in the game. Also, the mechanics in the game are unique and extremely rewarding, whether you be freezing enemies with ice, are burning them to a crisp with fire, plasmids add another layer of "creativity," to what was an already astounding experience. I can't tell you enough about this game, and it would really be in your best interest to pick this game up, and see why BioShock made gaming history! Expand
  79. Apr 20, 2011
    Very good game, a fascinating environment and many chilling moment throughout the game. There are many funny things gamer could do in the game, especially with the plasmids. combat system works well, too. Nevertheless, the sound in the game (the gunfire, the noise, the voice...) is just mediocre. But this little issue cannot reduce the value of the game. An awesome game that every gamersVery good game, a fascinating environment and many chilling moment throughout the game. There are many funny things gamer could do in the game, especially with the plasmids. combat system works well, too. Nevertheless, the sound in the game (the gunfire, the noise, the voice...) is just mediocre. But this little issue cannot reduce the value of the game. An awesome game that every gamers should play! Expand
  80. Jun 21, 2011
    How do you write a review for a title close to being the best video game ever made? It's soundtrack is a mixture of classical and 40's - 50's era contemporary music which both combine to give Bioshock a wondrous sense of contradiction in it's atmosphere, what with it's crumbling, leaky architecture and dramatic lighting, yet and mellow and angelic orchestral sounds backing the resonanceHow do you write a review for a title close to being the best video game ever made? It's soundtrack is a mixture of classical and 40's - 50's era contemporary music which both combine to give Bioshock a wondrous sense of contradiction in it's atmosphere, what with it's crumbling, leaky architecture and dramatic lighting, yet and mellow and angelic orchestral sounds backing the resonance of sheer destroyed beauty laying before as you wander through the world intrepidly. This dual atmosphere is a constant throughout the entire game, which is a good thing, as it keeps itself consistent, unlike other titles i could name which tried something similar but came up short, thus breaking the illusion that it had. The story is nothing short of brilliant, with your entire life being revealed before you to be none other then the artificial workings of someone else, breaking the characters and your own perceptions of what you really knew. Voice acting is also top notch, with slick accents that are spot on, mature sounding voices, voices which sound real and have some authenticity to their tone and behaviour, and fit the characters their assigned to. You may be thinking "Well it seems like the sound and story are the most effective parts of it", but you'd be wrong. The gameplay sacrifices nothing as there is rather deep customization to skills and powers you can gain. The ways you can go about and manipulate the environments and enemies can only be described as vast and dynamic, would you prefer to sneak past a foe or clobber them over the head with a wrench? Carelessly walk into an open area or set traps with your weapons/powers in some doorways or on the floor before continueing to search the area? Hack a sentry to help you in a fight with multiple enemies or maybe use a power to make one of them fight for you? The possibilities and combinations are nearly endless and it only gets even better when i say that it's all dynamic. That's right, there are very few scripted enemy paths or actions compared to the huge amount that is unscripted. The developers managed to create a living, breathing, fully organic world that feels like it could be real and that you're some nameless joe exploring what was once a glorious city that is decaying because of the very foundation of it's demeanor. This is a revolutionary game which is worthy of the title of "Art" in the highest sense of the term. Expand
  81. Jan 1, 2012
    I played the best games (like Age of Empire, Half-Life, Red Alert, Call of Duty, Civilizion III...) and i think that this videogames merits to stay on this podium!
  82. Dec 6, 2012
    Until this day, this game remains as my all-time favorite. I've yet to play a game with as much good gameplay, atmosphere and genius writing. There are decent games, there are good games, there are great games, there are *excellent* games and there's games like BioShock that sit up top. I can't find the words to explain how well done the story and characters are. Using plasmids/powers asUntil this day, this game remains as my all-time favorite. I've yet to play a game with as much good gameplay, atmosphere and genius writing. There are decent games, there are good games, there are great games, there are *excellent* games and there's games like BioShock that sit up top. I can't find the words to explain how well done the story and characters are. Using plasmids/powers as well as ammo-changeable guns is gameplay heaven. The hacking mini-game is fun, but can get old after a while. Now onto the negatives... The graphics are decent, but look very low-res in some parts of the game, including particle effects and water. The physics are not so good, as it's unrealistic and has low fps. The animations can be iffy here and there. Newer PC's have a very high chance of messing with the game - mouse acceleration issues, settings that don't stay consistent, likelihood of freezing and crashing, etc. Overall, this game is one of a kind. The sequel isn't as good, but still enjoyable. Expand
  83. Jul 3, 2011
    Really good game! The graphics are amazing and I loved the gameplay, anyone who enjoys FPS games should play it. The characters are unique and challenging. Can't wait to get into Bioshock 2.
  84. Jul 27, 2011
    BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED. Every game played since has had to live up to its standards. Amazing ending, mind-blowing plot-twists, spectacular artwork. Creative gameplay that goes above and beyond traditional FPS. astounding.
  85. Sep 28, 2011
    A one of a kind FPS game. Stable, great graphics and sound and a very creative and interesting story and features. A few slow points especially under water where you cannot really do anything.
  86. Oct 7, 2011
    Spectacular game. One of the best game storylines in ever, extremely fun gameplay, really good dialog, and while it's not entirely horror, it definitely sent some chills down my spine. It's also really creative, little sister & big daddies, the plasmeds, all of it. It's a truly perfect game.
  87. Dec 4, 2011
    Great game which you could specify as a haunted house shooter. Graphics are great, story is entertaining with nice plot twists. The game play is challenging. Normally I don't play linear games multiple times but with this one I couldn't resist. Perfect.
  88. Nov 14, 2011
    Mesmerizing background setting and sophisticating story make Bioshock not only a game, but also great movie and novel. The combat system is hell lot of fun once you are used to it, and it will become one of the best "shooting" experience ever. The art style is distinguish and actually, astonishing, that the developer really do want to put something different on the market for people toMesmerizing background setting and sophisticating story make Bioshock not only a game, but also great movie and novel. The combat system is hell lot of fun once you are used to it, and it will become one of the best "shooting" experience ever. The art style is distinguish and actually, astonishing, that the developer really do want to put something different on the market for people to choose, and I love that decision.

Game of the Year. Period.
  89. Feb 18, 2012
    This game is original and keeps me interested in every aspect of it's madness.
    The graphics are still great in 2012.... and gameplay is bar none very good.
    No glitches and no horrible hardware conflicts.
    Lots of blood and tonnes of mad action.
    Bioshock 2 delivers the same enjoyment so all i can say is get it now!!
  90. Mar 7, 2012
    I had just gotten around to playing it for the first time, and I have to say, the hype was right! It has a creepy atmosphere, awesome story, and great gameplay. It's a must play.
  91. Nov 27, 2011
    Sophisticated story, original gameplay, great visuals. Any way I see it, this game is a masterpiece. The diversity of weapons and powers lets you be creative on the way of killing your fellow crazy enemy. The story is wonderful and intelligent, but it's sometimes hard to hear because of always being talked on a radio, even during a fighting scene with a lot of noise. The combats againstSophisticated story, original gameplay, great visuals. Any way I see it, this game is a masterpiece. The diversity of weapons and powers lets you be creative on the way of killing your fellow crazy enemy. The story is wonderful and intelligent, but it's sometimes hard to hear because of always being talked on a radio, even during a fighting scene with a lot of noise. The combats against the big daddies are very impressive, but you get used to it after a little bit. It always has this great "creepy" feeling without being straight out scary, which gives the game a nice charm. Anyways, for what it is, this game is probably one of the greatest games ever made. Expand
  92. Dec 8, 2011
    best game, amazing mood of the underwater city, many weapons with different bullets, smart enemies (mostly) and the icon - the the big daddy, every fps fan should play this game cause it's wotrh every hour spend with it
  93. Dec 26, 2011
    This game is pretty good with alot of detail and a pretty good story line. The graphics are also pretty decent as well as the effects. I like how you can make a lot of different choices in what you want to do or where to go or how to play. The only reason I knock off one point is because it really can be very tough trying to kill some characters and you die so many times because you haveThis game is pretty good with alot of detail and a pretty good story line. The graphics are also pretty decent as well as the effects. I like how you can make a lot of different choices in what you want to do or where to go or how to play. The only reason I knock off one point is because it really can be very tough trying to kill some characters and you die so many times because you have to approach very big characters (aka big daddy and little sister) that have more life and power than you or any of your weapons. But its not bad enough to stop playing the game. Expand
  94. Dec 14, 2011
    Standing proudly atop my top 5 list, Bioshock is a gem of a game that is as exciting on the surface as it is deep within. In it, you play Jack, the silent protagonist whose sole chance of survival in the underwater world rests in the hands of a friendly voice over a shortwave radio. With nowhere to go and no knowledge of what lies within, you are forcibly plunged into the deep, dark cityStanding proudly atop my top 5 list, Bioshock is a gem of a game that is as exciting on the surface as it is deep within. In it, you play Jack, the silent protagonist whose sole chance of survival in the underwater world rests in the hands of a friendly voice over a shortwave radio. With nowhere to go and no knowledge of what lies within, you are forcibly plunged into the deep, dark city of Rapture, where mystery and controversy plague every bloody hall. Prominently displayed throughout the game is the motif of objectivism, a philosophical idea popularized by author Ayn Rand. Simply put, it is the belief that putting oneself before others--and therefore focusing on honing your own talents--is inherently good. Bioshock deals with more social and philosophical issues than can be explained in a simple review, and must be experienced firsthand to garner the full effect. It is amazing in every right (except for the combat system, which could use a bit of work), and is more than deserving of its great reviews. The greatest part about it--for me, at least--was not actually playing the game, but afterwards, when I was digging through the facts of Bioshock online and discovering the untold truths that were hidden so cleverly throughout the story. It is a great game that lasted much longer than I expected (especially for such a linear shooter) and, oddly enough, it still manages to lure me back to the city of Rapture from time to time. Expand
  95. Jun 16, 2012
    I feel as this game was as complete as it could be, amazing graphics, good sound, nice particle effects and amazing ideas behind all of this. The setting is well made and the story is good at the beginning and great when you get to a big plot twist and the ending. Some people say this game is scary however the suspense and horror wears off as you progress through the game maybe because youI feel as this game was as complete as it could be, amazing graphics, good sound, nice particle effects and amazing ideas behind all of this. The setting is well made and the story is good at the beginning and great when you get to a big plot twist and the ending. Some people say this game is scary however the suspense and horror wears off as you progress through the game maybe because you start getting used to the setting and you know what to expect. The shooting is good also but it could be better and I found ammo to be scarce which made the situation more complicated. Overall I do recommend it since there is nothing to dislike apart from some tiny flaws here and there. Expand
  96. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is simply one of the greatest ever made. The game play is a new and exciting twist on the old FPS style of game. The story is deep and compelling with twists and turns that you never see coming. I love the basis on the classic Ayn Rand novel. Any of the negative reviews i have read are from people who did not seem to really give it a chance and who did not play enough to get aThis game is simply one of the greatest ever made. The game play is a new and exciting twist on the old FPS style of game. The story is deep and compelling with twists and turns that you never see coming. I love the basis on the classic Ayn Rand novel. Any of the negative reviews i have read are from people who did not seem to really give it a chance and who did not play enough to get a real understanding of the FANTASTICALLY written story. If you give this game a chance and play it through to the end then i give you my word it will be worth it. Expand
  97. Jan 1, 2012
    The best fps game in the last year. Nice graphics, fantastic gameplay, amazing story and a deep ocean city ready for exploration. This is how must be a modern fps game.
  98. Aug 29, 2012
    i am gay i am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi ami am gay i am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gay Expand
  99. May 4, 2012
    I have heard a lot of good things about this game, and I have finally finished it. Truth is, the game is really good. Amazingly good. The voice acting is very convincing, actually the storytelling is good because of the convincing voice acting. The story has a little twist, and it is actually deeper than I expected it to be. This is one of the game you would never forget after playing.

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.