BioShock PC

8.5

1. Dec 16, 2012
    What is so good about this game, I have no idea why everyone likes it. It's your typical first person shooter with crappy setting and guns and powerups that suck.
  2. May 12, 2013
    If you have ever played System Shock 2, you'll immediately notice the sumularities. From how plasmids are in a way exactly the same as the psionic powers, to the wrench as a melee weapon. It could have been equally good, if not better, but its recycled feeling and unprecise gunplay mechanics, it's a dragged down experience that easily makes for one of the most over rated games in history.
  3. Sep 30, 2010
    BioShock is in no way revolutionary, its a standard linear FPS set in a non standard environment. The physics in this game are possibly the worst Ive seen in a modern game. The storyline is good but that's about the extent of this games genius.
  4. Apr 4, 2012
    Simply put an amazing game. This is the first FPS game where I actually enjoyed the story and wanted to see it through. Most FPS out in the market are focused on multi-player or some gimmicky mechanic but they don't really care about story. Bioshock is utterly different. From its throwback 1920 look and feel, to its eerie music, to its amazing story-telling system of sound recordings, thisSimply put an amazing game. This is the first FPS game where I actually enjoyed the story and wanted to see it through. Most FPS out in the market are focused on multi-player or some gimmicky mechanic but they don't really care about story. Bioshock is utterly different. From its throwback 1920 look and feel, to its eerie music, to its amazing story-telling system of sound recordings, this game was revolutionary. Speaking of story, the one in this game is a VERY interesting look at the idea of government/collectivism vs individualism taken to the extreme.

I never knew a 1-player FPS could be so fun!
  5. Oct 12, 2011
    One of the best games ever. The music, the atmosphere and the story were all AAA. Unfortunately. since then the series got hi jacked. BS2 was awful and had that terrible FOV problem that xbox games have to have to cover the weaknesses in the processing. I still love this game even today. Just read the Rapture novel in fact so I am playing through it one more time. (something I rarelyOne of the best games ever. The music, the atmosphere and the story were all AAA. Unfortunately. since then the series got hi jacked. BS2 was awful and had that terrible FOV problem that xbox games have to have to cover the weaknesses in the processing. I still love this game even today. Just read the Rapture novel in fact so I am playing through it one more time. (something I rarely do) Still love the brilliant dialogue and the way the cut scene moments actually work within the game, and dont cover the lack of depth and immersion AKA (The witcher 2 etc etc) but add to it. Absolutely brilliant. Expand
  6. Jan 24, 2012
    One of the best shooters I have played.

I don't play many shooters, they just don't interest me, but Bioshock, with its disturbing world, nice story, told through audiologs, and a radio, and great use of conventional weapons and the plasmids, made a deep experience that offers much more than your standard shooter.
  7. Mar 8, 2011
    BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED...and I have played whole lotta games.Review:
    Graphics:10-Rapture looks great,awesome physics(using telekenisis,water and gasoline effects,blowing things with grenade launcher)awesame plasmid effects(like to see them on fire or stunned,fighting each other or fighting with target dummy,being attacked by security or flying with help of cyclone trap)
    BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED...and I have played whole lotta games.Review:
    Story:9.5-Pretty good,great characters and plot,Rapture is one of the most rememberable places i've ever been to(figuratively).
    Gameplay:10-Simply the best,you can chose whether your gonna hack bots and cameras and get them attack enemies for you or you can do it yourself(more of fun).great combat mechanics,interesting idea which is used to maximum,and while closing to the end you are(really) going to need improved versions of weapons and plasmids.I put ''really'' in bracket because game is WAY TO EASY even on HARDest difficulty for more skilled players.But that's cool(you can turn it off on consoles).BUT PC RULES.
    Overall:10-BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED and i've played a whole lotta games.
  8. Jan 31, 2012
    This is one the THE BEST game ever to be produced. It's a model example of environmental storytelling - when you see a room within Rapture you can figure out what has happened in it just by simply looking at it. There is blood, there is mess, there is extreme attention to details, inspiration and passion within those levels that simply spills out of this title. You will be frightened, youThis is one the THE BEST game ever to be produced. It's a model example of environmental storytelling - when you see a room within Rapture you can figure out what has happened in it just by simply looking at it. There is blood, there is mess, there is extreme attention to details, inspiration and passion within those levels that simply spills out of this title. You will be frightened, you will be intrigued, you will have loads and loads of fun!

Gameplay 10/10
    Audio 9.5/10
    Graphics 9.5/10
  9. Oct 10, 2011
    I usually avoid deep story driven games because my time is limited, and my memory is poor. Bioshock is a game that was suggested to me by a few friends, and had received critical praise, so I finally gave in. After an initial disaster with the Telekinesis plasmid almost made me quit, I stuck through the gameâ
  10. Jul 19, 2011
    Just registered to thumb up mcremi's review lol, though I won't give it a so low score.
    It's good looking, yes, but the gameplay mechanics are kinda boring and repetitive. You're in a small room, the doors suddenly closes, a bunch of enemies all looking the same appears, and so on.
    I'm sure the developers only worked on the graphics and forgot to make a game with them. Reviewers that gave

Reviewers that gave it 100/100 should do a different job, like in a coal mine or something...
  11. Nov 10, 2011
    I have yet to find flaw with this game. The achievements were really fun, too. They lasted me about 3 years, but I'm finally satisfied with 1000/1100G.
  12. Feb 2, 2012
    This game is without a doubt up there on my top 10 list, Why? Because its got it all thats why. The game is very aesthetically pleasing with great graphics and a superb track list to go with it. The action is exciting and the atmosphere is quite chilling, especially when played with the lights out. The story I found to be VERY interesting and constantly grabbing my attention. ThankfullyThis game is without a doubt up there on my top 10 list, Why? Because its got it all thats why. The game is very aesthetically pleasing with great graphics and a superb track list to go with it. The action is exciting and the atmosphere is quite chilling, especially when played with the lights out. The story I found to be VERY interesting and constantly grabbing my attention. Thankfully the story comes across through gameplay and the two are integrated seamlessley rather than seperated like in many other games. Definitely worth the buy. Expand
  13. Apr 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Be ready to feel the fear in the city of Rapture, a entire city under the sea, with his own rules and issues, fight against the big daddy's and beware of psycho people that live there, while you move on suspance locations. Expand
  14. Jan 4, 2013
    This game mixes slight horror, great graphics, amazing game play and an engaging story line all wrapped in one cd. This has and will always will be my favorite game. 2K games, keep up the good work and thank you for this absolutely phenomenal game.
  15. Jan 20, 2013
    Bioshock what a great game the storiline and the creativity of Irrational Games and 2k games have done a very original game , although some people say it's scary I find it awesome and funny.
  16. Nov 25, 2015
    One of the best games of all time with graphics that still stand up today and a story with a twist worthy of a (good) M Knight movie. This is one game every true gamer should play to completion.
  17. Dec 1, 2015
    Masterpiece.............
    ................ . .
  18. Dec 23, 2010
    "A beautiful smooth veneer finish over a flawed, ultimately hollow core" would sum this title up for me perfectly. The setting and overall theme were done quite well, and the conveyance of exploring a now-ruined underwater dystopia is executed very well. To my eyes, that was where the excellence stopped, and the mediocrity begins.

The story holds up about as well as a cardboard cutout in

The story holds up about as well as a cardboard cutout in a windstorm, as most of it is told not via in-game events but by picking up random tape recordings scattered throughout the ruins. There was one major plot twist, but by the time it occurs most people would have seen it coming anyway. The weapons, though reasonably balanced, were all pretty standard fare - nothing we haven't seen before. The plasmids, which should have really set the game apart, were only marginally useful save for the one or two strong ones; the rest were relegated to use only for the few virtual stop-gates that required their use for you to pass.

By the time I was done playing - which, by the way doesn't take all that long - and had followed the cookie-cutter "good" or "evil" path, I left with the feeling that I could have had much more. I think the initial reviews were made by journalists who played through the first hour or so of the game and were really just absorbing the theme and environment. Had they dug a bit deeper, they would have seen the shiny surface give way to the flaws that lurk underneath.
  19. Sep 25, 2011
    I do enjoy this game a little bit, and its better than a majority of first person shooters today(which isnt saying much) but it is an insult to people old enough to have played system shock 2(in 1999) I know its from the same creators, i know its getting the amazing story to a wider audience, but the story had been cannibalized, and dumbed down. The rpg elements are dumbed down, meaningI do enjoy this game a little bit, and its better than a majority of first person shooters today(which isnt saying much) but it is an insult to people old enough to have played system shock 2(in 1999) I know its from the same creators, i know its getting the amazing story to a wider audience, but the story had been cannibalized, and dumbed down. The rpg elements are dumbed down, meaning that instead of having to think a while before you upgrade, you can just upgrade anything and still be fine. The enemies are similar to those in system shock 2's, the story is the same, even the gameplay is the same, and guess what the first weapon in BOTH games is? A WRENCH! Bioshock has pretty graphics, but graphics dont matter, the gameplay isnt amazing, it's impossible to die, and the allusion they tried to use was not sure what it exactly meant at times. Bioshock is pretty, but a little dumb in the head, system shock 2 is ugly, but its an older game, and there are graphic mods, and it is smart. i give system shock 2 a gold trophy filled with gummy bears, chocolate, and other yummy stuff. i give bioshock the same trophy, but made out of plastic, filled with brown water, and nothing else. Expand
  20. MikeW.
    Sep 9, 2007
    It is mediocre. I felt like I was playing another Resident Evil clone. The game play is fun when you first pick it up, but falls short about 2 or 3 hours into gameplay. Graphics are well shaded but that does not mean they are good. There are many bugs and glitches and the charecter and weapon designs look aweful aswell as some of the screens. The only thing that was truly impressive was It is mediocre. I felt like I was playing another Resident Evil clone. The game play is fun when you first pick it up, but falls short about 2 or 3 hours into gameplay. Graphics are well shaded but that does not mean they are good. There are many bugs and glitches and the charecter and weapon designs look aweful aswell as some of the screens. The only thing that was truly impressive was the sound. The sound was fantastic, with full surroundsound and a nice sub you can somewhat enjoy the game. Hacking is a chore espescialy later on in the game because it is a must hack to win situation and hacking becomes almost impossible at times. Also, the lack of multiplayer makes this game a waste of $60 when you are only going to be able to play it once through. This game was truly over hyped and falls short in both gameplay and good story. Not the worst game to recieve lower than a 5 but not good enough to be better than average. Expand
  21. GlenV.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Great graphics and a fairly interesting story but far too easy and far too much of the same thing each and every level. Nice underwater setting (really believable that a constantly leaking city is still habitable! really!). Ok - was probably dumbed down for the console boys?
  22. SimonO.
    Sep 9, 2007
    The graphics are good, Story is ok but the game is seriously lacking. For starters you can't die in the game at all. Once you realise this the game becomes insanely easy. The ending boss is way too easy, which is to expected based on the fact you couldn't die previously. The twist in the game is excellent but it just proves to you that you have no real control over the storyline The graphics are good, Story is ok but the game is seriously lacking. For starters you can't die in the game at all. Once you realise this the game becomes insanely easy. The ending boss is way too easy, which is to expected based on the fact you couldn't die previously. The twist in the game is excellent but it just proves to you that you have no real control over the storyline at all. Other then that I felt like I was playing a watered down (excuse the pun) version of System Shock 2. Expand
  23. mez
    Dec 1, 2011
    I seem to be way outside mainstream opinion on this one. I was a huge, huge fan of System Shock 2 and I was so looking forward to playing its 'spiritual successor'. Maybe I was expecting too much, but BioShock did very little for me. I feel a bit bad criticising it because it's obvious that a lot of love and care went into making it, and while it isn't a bad game, for me it never got aboveI seem to be way outside mainstream opinion on this one. I was a huge, huge fan of System Shock 2 and I was so looking forward to playing its 'spiritual successor'. Maybe I was expecting too much, but BioShock did very little for me. I feel a bit bad criticising it because it's obvious that a lot of love and care went into making it, and while it isn't a bad game, for me it never got above mediocre.

It's just a formulaic run and gun shooter. The missions often feel contrived and arbitrary, and are almost entirely based around finding random widgets in some far corner of the level (and there's an escort mission in there as well, ugh). While you're doing that you blast your way through waves of interchangeable enemies - almost all of whom run straight at you - using the usual array of FPS weapons. That's it. For all the game's highfalutin' concept, there's no depth whatsoever to the gameplay - just strafe and fire, strafe and fire. The much-heralded plasmids add very little. They're just guns with different animations. Shoot someone or set them on fire, it makes no difference.

The setting and story are above average, although the levels all look very similar and the Objectivism stuff is a bit undercooked - it's really just a standard trouble in paradise thing with some Ayn Rand inspired sound bites over the top. The diary tapes add some colour, but for some reason I couldn't make myself care about any of it. I found the twists predictable, and the single moral choice you have to make in the game (whether to harvest the little sisters or rescue them) has no bearing at all on the gameplay, only on which ending you get. It feels utterly meaningless.

There's nothing terribly wrong with the game and I so desperately wanted to love it, but its lineage can't hide the fact that it's just another bland FPS. I cannot understand what these huge scores and breathlessly uncritical reviews are based on. I almost feel like I haven't been playing the same game.
  24. MattS
    May 28, 2009
    I was quite impressed the first hour of gameplay (most of the demo). The ingame cutscenes were spot on and the action led me to believe I was going to play a game to be remembered. Starting with 10P. Story. Not bad but not great. I can't really review it because I couldn't bare to finish the game. The choice between killing and not killing children seemed a silly and a lame I was quite impressed the first hour of gameplay (most of the demo). The ingame cutscenes were spot on and the action led me to believe I was going to play a game to be remembered. Starting with 10P. Story. Not bad but not great. I can't really review it because I couldn't bare to finish the game. The choice between killing and not killing children seemed a silly and a lame attempt at a good/evil alignment tracker, but thats just my opinion. Gameplay. It becomes incredibly stale, fast. Enemies were very scary at first. Combat is a lot like doom 3, enemies bust out when a new weapon is received, or objective, etc. But its the same lame 3 enemies (brainless monster, brainless monster with plasmids, robot) the entire time. Plasmids seemed like a redeeming value, and at first I was excited to see what new plasmid I would get. Sadly, I soon realized only one or two plasmids are actually worth using in a fight, which made the combat very bland. I could go off listing all the worthless plasmids and how they are ineffective in combat, but I wont. I will just say the the only effective plasmids distract and hurt. So there are two. They made an option to make guns and ammo. Ammo is lacking in the game so making ammo is essential. Yet the time I took collecting all the random parts and junk just to make a few bullets or grenades seemed not worth the effort. Hacking is a bore with the puzzle being either really easy or impossible (I played enough pipe dream as a kid). While this game is extremely stale in level design and enemy combat, it gets worse. The game creators give you a camera which they expect you to take pictures of the same ole junk they made during combat no less. (-1P) Graphics. They were stunning at times. But as the game progressed there were no attempts at using them to make a great environment. The beginning of this game is as good as it gets (period). (-1P) Originality. NONE. Those who claim otherwise have not been playing video games for long. This game is a crappy clone of System Shock 2, which is a much better game. For newer gamers, this game is like Doom 3 with magic and less enemies. (-1P) Pre/Post-Hype. This game wins as the most overly hyped game I have ever known. Congrats Bioshock. Expand
  25. Jul 28, 2012
    I can understand why this game is thought of so highly by others. The world you descend into is fantastically engrossing, with perfectly executed period music and decorations. The story is a good, the graphics are decent, and the gameplay is fun enough.

But everything is ruined for me by one thing - those darn vita tubes. Basically there are tubes dotted about all over the levels and if you die you are respawned at the last tube you went past. The problem with this is that whatever damage you've dealt out to the enemies stays with them, so you don't lose anything from just dying over and over again until you finally defeat your foes. This makes a mockery of the whole game; you might as well attack the hardest enemies with your wrench and save your ammo because you'll just respawn with no negative effects.

This takes away all the suspense and fear from the game. Add to this enemies that respawn at random, a lack of weapons that are hideously balanced (a powered up wrench better than a shotgun?!), and a system of augmentations that don't really help all that much, and this is a game with so much potential and so much right that falls short of where it could have been.
  26. ThisGuy
    Oct 20, 2007
    This game is beautiful! Gorgeous settings, great ambience. I really enjoyed the background music, it fit the setting nicely. (1 hour later) Yeah...the game is still pretty. (Upon completion) Wow that was an expensive game that seems to get absurdly high ratings! Hey, does anyone remember when games were rated for something other than eye candy. This game is not horrible but come on people This game is beautiful! Gorgeous settings, great ambience. I really enjoyed the background music, it fit the setting nicely. (1 hour later) Yeah...the game is still pretty. (Upon completion) Wow that was an expensive game that seems to get absurdly high ratings! Hey, does anyone remember when games were rated for something other than eye candy. This game is not horrible but come on people there is nothing here to justify such high ratings. Expand
  27. JakeD.
    Mar 4, 2008
    I feel this game has been so critically acclaimed because of the fact that it was hyped up and there was a lot of hope that it would be brilliant. The PC mags then didnt want to go against the acclaim of their previews, or something like that. Anyway, what we get is a very console-feeling dumbed down 'rpg'. Being heavily reliant on combat, it is a big shame that none of the I feel this game has been so critically acclaimed because of the fact that it was hyped up and there was a lot of hope that it would be brilliant. The PC mags then didnt want to go against the acclaim of their previews, or something like that. Anyway, what we get is a very console-feeling dumbed down 'rpg'. Being heavily reliant on combat, it is a big shame that none of the weapons or biomods feel correct or satisfying to use; feeling either too cumbersome or too lightweight. Some of the effects in the game are fantastic. My jaw was dangling at one point when a plane crashed into a tunnel i was walking through, causing water to gush everywhere. That being said, the overall design of the game feels very patchwork; as if the developers have tried to use as many effects as they can, some of which are too obvious. The game feels very linear and claustrophobic. 2K games state Bioshock is 'Going beyond "run and gun corridors" ', however, ironically, this is what the game becomes. Aside from the occasional impressive visuals, the only other positive I can think of is the story. I am a fan of the idea of a future distopia, Logans Run, Brave New World, 1984, etc, and this game pulls off a unique take on this theme. Its just a shame the gameplay is so uninspired. Expand
  28. CoryA.
    Aug 31, 2007
    Simply average and mundane. The graphics are nothing to behold (just because it's shiny doesn't mean it's next-gen material). The gameplay is average as well, and the AI (below average, like every other FPS out there). The only thing that stands out? The audio. And I'm only speaking for the voice acting, nothing else. It's simply appalling that this game is given Simply average and mundane. The graphics are nothing to behold (just because it's shiny doesn't mean it's next-gen material). The gameplay is average as well, and the AI (below average, like every other FPS out there). The only thing that stands out? The audio. And I'm only speaking for the voice acting, nothing else. It's simply appalling that this game is given perfect scores when it's so mediocre. Expand
  29. Rob
    Aug 23, 2007
    Horrible bugs, poor wide screen support and extremely restrictive DRM put this title on the 'Avoid at all Costs' list. Publishers need to wake up and understand that people will pay for a quality game. When the DRM inhibits legit buyers from enjoying the game, it should never make it into the product. The DRM in Bioshock ensures that many legit buyers will be using cracks for Horrible bugs, poor wide screen support and extremely restrictive DRM put this title on the 'Avoid at all Costs' list. Publishers need to wake up and understand that people will pay for a quality game. When the DRM inhibits legit buyers from enjoying the game, it should never make it into the product. The DRM in Bioshock ensures that many legit buyers will be using cracks for the game in order to enjoy the game. Expand
  30. Mar 30, 2011
    I can't help but feel this game has been hipped a bit to much, yes it is a great game, but not a god sent.
    But i must accept that the involving set-up in which the game is set and some amazing twists can stay on top of your mind to make you think the entire game was gold, yet I can only say that i counted many moments of repetitiousness, and bland game time.
  31. Jan 13, 2012
    Bought during the steam xmas sales in 2008 and only played it last year. Really enjoyed it. Addictive gameplay, full captions, lovely grahpics for it's time and best of all, fun and satisfying gameplay.
  32. Sep 18, 2011
    This game is not Half Life.
    This game is not CoD or Halo, and therefore does not rely on online play to prop it up.
    This game is not an RPG. If you want to play Half Life, Halo, CoD or Oblivion, then play Half Life, Halo, CoD or Oblivion. Some people think that this game is terrible because monsters jump out at you and make you soil yourself. Some people think it's awful that this game is
    This game is not Half Life.
    This game is not an RPG.

Some people think it's awful that this game is so gripping that they had to force themselves to complete the game twice in one week.
    Some people think that killing little girls is a bit yawn worthy (personally, I find that a little worrying).
    Some people can't stand that in this horror game, there is no end to the enemies.
    Some people complain because 6 weapons (each with two secondary firing modes), 11 varieties of magic spells, and 32 varieties of customisation just aren't enough for an FPS.

So given what this game isn't, and all the reasons it's a rubbish game, why should you play?

Because it's fun. The storyline is frankly fantastic. It's so simple, yet so horrifying.
    At times this game makes the player want to throw away the controls and just say "No. No no no no no." because the game makes the player feel like they're the one being controlled. Like you've sat on a rollercoaster ride, been strapped in, then a 300lb pervert with a shotgun sits next to you with a grin.

Now for the serious part of the review:
    The sound's fantastically detailed - everything makes a sound.
    The artwork is superbly done, with every room uniquely designed so it doesn't feel like walking through the same dungeon over and over again.
    The game play allows the user to decide how much they want to play this as a straight forward shooter, or explore and find out more about the story.
    You only ever meet one character face to face in the entire game. And by this point, you really don't want to.
    Everyone else act as overlords speaking into your radio, manipulating your actions.
    This once the horror of the game has died down a little, the insanity of the game can become creepily fun. It gets to quite satisfying to beat a splicers face in with a wrench.
    This game does not in any way lack in detail. While there are only 6 basic enemies in the game, each one comes in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, each wielding something to bash your brains in with.

And it has possibly the best nemeses I've encountered in a game.

But...
    The game does, indeed, have no online play.
    If you don't go out of your way, or don't replay the game, a lot of the plot points will be lost on you (like if you watched Star Wars, and the entire cloud city section were cut).
    Some of the physics are glitchy (due to minor clipping issues), meaning that occasionally, tripping over a crisp packet will cause it to team rocket into the air.
    Whilst regenerating health doesn't have a look-in, there is the fact that death on this game is more an inconvenience as you re-spawn instantly [but is this really much different to constantly saving and reloading?]
    Despite the people who say "I didn't have enough ammo D:", by the end you'll probably have cash and armaments coming out your diving boots, as well as half a dozen secondary fire modes you don't know what to do with.
    You cannot have both a plasmid and a gun readied at the same time (this is fixed in Bioshock 2).
    A neat little arrow always tells you where to go next. While this makes the game easier - it sometimes feels more like the game game is a long, long game of follow the sodding arrow. But on the other hand, it does increase the feeling that you're there to do the characters in the game's bidding, and that you've got no real control.

So there you have it.
    10/10 for graphics.
    10/10 for story.
    10/10 for fun (I've managed to complete the game about 7 times and it's still fun to send splicers sprawling)
    8/10 for QA - there are some issues there. This game isn't perfect.
    9/10 for the details (Come on. How many other shooters have a fortune teller, corpses in bathtubs, a forest at the bottom of the ocean, and vast cityscapes complete with individually tailored neon signs out of every window).

Much as it's frowned upon to say this - but if you play this expecting a re-run of your favourite railshooter, straight RPG, or online repetitive CoD battle, then expect to be disappointed.
    If despite instant regenerations, falling into mountains of cash and guns, and the ability to go back and one-hit kill all those wretched first level enemies for goodies, you still don't have enough weaponry. - then the problem is possibly that the player is bad at shooters, rather than a bad game.

The difficulty can easily be turned up at any point. Instant re-spawns can be turned off. And if you don't like the plasmids, then don't use them.

P.s. Play this game in the dark. And get the sequel.
  33. Mar 7, 2013
    I bought this game based on the lofty overall ratings. The setting is nice, but I feel strongly that this game gets too much acclaim for the story while the gameplay is only average. In a market crowded by great first person shooters, Bioshock's gameplay is only good enough to recommend to diehard FPS fans dying for another game to play. If you value immersion and story a lot, I guess youI bought this game based on the lofty overall ratings. The setting is nice, but I feel strongly that this game gets too much acclaim for the story while the gameplay is only average. In a market crowded by great first person shooters, Bioshock's gameplay is only good enough to recommend to diehard FPS fans dying for another game to play. If you value immersion and story a lot, I guess you might want to check it out. If you value gameplay, you really should check out any number of rival FPS games before Bioshock. Expand
  34. RiccardoC.
    Oct 10, 2007
    not worth the hype, on a not-top compurer it won't go smooth and that will bring playng bioshock quite a pain. If u're low on money get orange box, much better.
  35. AndyP.
    Jan 30, 2010
    I'll give it a 5 for graphics alone,theres no denying that graphicly it's very good. But thats pretty much where it ends for me,after what is a promising start the gameplay gets stale very quickly. fighting the same 4 enemies throughout the whole game is just extremely dull. The story is ok i guess,unfotunatly i pretty much forced myself to finish this game,and was kind of I'll give it a 5 for graphics alone,theres no denying that graphicly it's very good. But thats pretty much where it ends for me,after what is a promising start the gameplay gets stale very quickly. fighting the same 4 enemies throughout the whole game is just extremely dull. The story is ok i guess,unfotunatly i pretty much forced myself to finish this game,and was kind of relieved when i did for all the wrong reasons. Expand
  36. PhilH.
    Nov 11, 2007
    The console version might be all well and good, because it's practically unique for an X360 title, but on the PC Bioshock is relatively poor. Combat is slow and boring and the RPG elements are almost non-existent, so all you get is basically a very poor FPS dripping with pretension. The much vaunted characters and story are also a serious disappointment.
  37. SergeyS
    Jan 31, 2010
    Atmosphere and graphics are ok. Sound is bad, guns sound like you're kicking a tin can. Physics is terrible, you stumble on a seemingly 200 punds chest or a heavy wheelchair, and it flies away 30 feet (50 if you hit it with a wrench). It is also one of the most inconvenient and primitive shooters, and addition of "bio weapons" does not help. You cannot zoom, you have no secondary Atmosphere and graphics are ok. Sound is bad, guns sound like you're kicking a tin can. Physics is terrible, you stumble on a seemingly 200 punds chest or a heavy wheelchair, and it flies away 30 feet (50 if you hit it with a wrench). It is also one of the most inconvenient and primitive shooters, and addition of "bio weapons" does not help. You cannot zoom, you have no secondary fire modes, weapons are primitive (gun, shotgun, tommygun - how original is that?) Money and items make a weak attempt at an RPG-shooter but fail completely. You don't even have a normal inventory. Switchin bullet types is too micromanagerial. This game does not know what it is or wants to be. And mouselook is terrible. I played tons of shootes, I played Q3 and CS competitively, and I have never been so frustrated by such unnatural aiming etc. Overall - 5/10. But for making big fuss about it - 2/10. Expand
  38. Franko
    Mar 29, 2008
    The most over-rated game i hav ever played!do yourself a favour and DONT BUY THIS,dont believe the hype and reviewer comments! this game is repetive,terrible story,only like 3 types of enemy! there is nothing good about this bar the graphics.
  39. biosux
    Nov 19, 2007
    1? Yes for the PC VERSION a 1 for the occasionally pretty graphics and an attempt at a different story from most drab shooters. After that there's nothing left to talk about in a positive light as it's all downhill, controls, widescreen, pacing, rewards, enemy variety, respawns, BUGS, BUGS, crashes, BUGS, 2k's attitude to customers... basically a very poor game masquerading 1? Yes for the PC VERSION a 1 for the occasionally pretty graphics and an attempt at a different story from most drab shooters. After that there's nothing left to talk about in a positive light as it's all downhill, controls, widescreen, pacing, rewards, enemy variety, respawns, BUGS, BUGS, crashes, BUGS, 2k's attitude to customers... basically a very poor game masquerading as the best thing since sliced bread. I'm sure on the 360 this game feels a lot better but on PC it's a pale imitation of it's spiritual predecessor (system shock 2). It doesn't even work ergonomically, it's got useless controls and when it's not crashing the gameplay is actually very poor. See edges or gamecritics review for the real skinny on this 'game'. Avoid like the plague or at least try on rental,.. oh hey that's exactly what you do when you BUY the PC version because the DRM means you get a few installs and that's it, even with it's revoke tool, it doesn't work so you basically won't get to install it much every time you reformat, which thankfully you won't want to anyway because the game is that dull. A damp squib in the firework box of PC gaming and one best killed off before it's legacy comes to represent the 'best' of what gaming has to offer. Expand
  40. May 23, 2011
    Things started fantastic, the atmosphere, graphics, sound were great
    then things started to go wrong
    the shooting mechanics are clunky, when you die you go to a deus ex machina chamber, it's too easy and frustrating at the same time!

Thank god steam does refunds.
  41. Jan 11, 2013
    After Doom and Quake followed some decent first person shooters over the years. Some managed to bring something innovative to the genre. Not Bioshock.

Clearly, Bioshock is an over-hyped title artificially pumped by a generation of console gamers with nothing better to play at the time. The PC version was like a bowl of oatmeal: Entirely unmemorable, borderline unpleasant. I forced

I forced myself to play through a few levels and the mediocrity of it all quickly forced me to uninstall before the critical 1 hour mark. When a game makes windows tools like defrag feel fun and exciting, it's not a very good game. I'm sorry I wasted 20$ on this. It taught me never to listen to hype ever again!

In short: One of the worst "me-too" FPS games ever. Avoid.
  42. Sep 14, 2011
    I actually found this game quite boring. Its starts out really well, with a nice story to set the mood, but the further you get into it, the whole magic aspect kills the gameplay. If you like that kind of shooters, i can understand the score, but i ended up playing it solely for the story.
  43. Oct 8, 2013
    Bioshock is a boring, clunky, overly streamlined, and an overall overrated game. It has a great story and would've been great if it was a movie or a book, however it's a horrible game. The game play is dull and un-fun, it's not scary, and it feels like it's stepping on the far superior System-Shock. Once again, Good for a book or movie, bad for a game.
  44. Mar 10, 2012
    one of the worst fps i have ever played, everything is scripted, the ai sucks, the story sucks, the art is avrage/corny everything takes along time to load and gui is terrible. I want my $ back
  45. Dec 30, 2011
    Pros: The storyline was good

The graphics and setting are good Cons: The combat is terrible. The plasmids are supposed to be so cool, but they are really just magic spells with a different name. The level design is terrible. It reminded me of Doom 3 -- it was all "run down a dark corridor, and shoot the thing that will inevitably jump out from every dark corner or doorway".
    Pros: The storyline was good

The graphics and setting are good

Cons:

Seriously, this game is boring enough that I uninstalled it after a couple of days trying to get into it.
  46. Mar 21, 2012
    Intriguing sight at first, boring and repetitive just a bit later. Not to mention designers' knack for filling game with cheap scares, such as sudden noises, power outages etc.
  47. Sep 25, 2012
    Having played System Shock 2, I was expecting something really great from Bioshock, but it's mostly shallow eye candy. It would have been okay if the story was good, but to me it seemed like it pandered to teenagers a bit. Overall, not much to engage you besides mindless shooting
  48. Sep 14, 2010
    From the greatly positive reception i expected a great game, however i found it nonsensical by the trailers. Well in short: easy, boring, repetitive combat, exploration and mini-game(one kind but you can do it way too many times). There are good ideas in it too, like the photographing and the different effects of some plasmids on the environment but these does not save the game from beingFrom the greatly positive reception i expected a great game, however i found it nonsensical by the trailers. Well in short: easy, boring, repetitive combat, exploration and mini-game(one kind but you can do it way too many times). There are good ideas in it too, like the photographing and the different effects of some plasmids on the environment but these does not save the game from being confusing and boring at the same time. Expand
  49. Sep 11, 2012
    Bioshock shamelessly rips off System Shock 2 and does a poor job of it. Insulting, shallow, extremely linear gameplay, backed up by a very poor story, dimly realized characters, a shoddy console interface, and incredibly repetitive scripted events. The final boss fight has to be one of the low points of modern PC gaming. The occasional "wow factor" scripted scene can't cover up a consoleBioshock shamelessly rips off System Shock 2 and does a poor job of it. Insulting, shallow, extremely linear gameplay, backed up by a very poor story, dimly realized characters, a shoddy console interface, and incredibly repetitive scripted events. The final boss fight has to be one of the low points of modern PC gaming. The occasional "wow factor" scripted scene can't cover up a console slog that was dated when it was released. I beat the game when it came out and immediately regretted purchasing it. Judging from the Metacritic froth, a lot of people out there will give high marks to an interactive B-horror simply because it has skyscrapers under the sea. And viral marketers writing fake reviews. Can't forget you lot. Viral marketing rim snoodlers are the bane of the modern internet.

If you aren't a marketer and genuinely think Bioshock is an awesome game then you simply don't know computer games, because even for this exact sub-genre (Action-Adventure-RPG) Bioshock is poor. Star Control 2 is an awesome AAR. Thief 2 is an awesome AAR. System Shock 2 is an awesome AAR. Deus Ex is an awesome AAR. Bioshock is merely an average game that never comes remotely near the heritage it aspires to match, even as it shamelessly desecrates its corpse.
  50. TimI.
    Oct 5, 2007
    It's been a wide commercial campaign to miss this glamour game, but from the first moments it dssapointed me: meaningless, linear and all the same. Huinya, I think.
  51. StefanoG
    Jan 21, 2010
    I was a bit disappointed by this game, it is not by any means a successor to system shock. It's just another FPS with a cheesy storyline, that seems to pop up from a sci-fi b-movie of the '60.
  52. UndyingZombie
    Feb 5, 2009
    I would have gave this game a 7 if it was not for the fact that its rating is way too inflated as is. ( And of course, if it did not contain SecuROM ) I have to say I loved the intro, Loved the part where a portion of the plane hits the structure as you are walking through it. I also loved the bit with Sander Cohen. ( Spelling? ) However, sadly this game failed to meet the hype ( as with I would have gave this game a 7 if it was not for the fact that its rating is way too inflated as is. ( And of course, if it did not contain SecuROM ) I have to say I loved the intro, Loved the part where a portion of the plane hits the structure as you are walking through it. I also loved the bit with Sander Cohen. ( Spelling? ) However, sadly this game failed to meet the hype ( as with most games ) but also failed to deliver what the devs have claimed it would. The blood looked like raspberry jam/jelly. Watered down gameplay, and graphics. ( Some visuals where nice, however it was still a bit watered down. ) When the game was first out, if you died, no matter what difficulty.. there was really no penalty.. you came back and you can finish off what ever you where fighting to begin with. Granted even then unless you are new to fps games, that did not happen often even on highest difficulty. ( Granted, supposedly they came out with a patch allowing the player to turn this "feature" off...too little, too late in my opinion. ) Now, some of my complaints from here on out are due to, well.. I had followed this game since the first bit of information was released. Back when it was PC only, and there was going to be plasmids and other things that would allow you to change the pressure of the area and various other things. Lots of things where cut out when they decided to make it also for the consoles. ( When that idea was hatched, it was going to be released on PC,Xbox360, and PS3 at the same time. ) Later, it turned into a "xbox360 exclusive" ( Meaning, Xbox360 and PC but PC being more of a port than it being fully made on it. ) I have to be honest, this really felt like the game was "dumbed" down considerably. Especially considering what the devs had stated early on before the change to make the game for consoles as well. Yea it does sound like I am bashing it, and yes I kinda am. It did have its good parts, but I have to say it. It does not deserve the praise it has gotten. Its a ok game, but not a great one. If you don't care about money, and you don't care about installing SecuROM on your system, ( Your better off getting this for the console(s) FYI ) then I would say go ahead and buy it. However most people care about the money, and the majority of the people who know about SecuROM and what it is.. stay away from it. I would just advice you guys to rent it for the console(s) if you have one of the console(s) that this game is on. Expand
  53. TillE.
    Sep 10, 2007
    "As overrated as HL2" is the perfect way to describe BioShock. If you love pretty story-driven rail shooters with long load times like Half-Life 2, you'll love BioShock. If you like interesting, RPG-infused gameplay like System Shock 2, BioShock seriously disappoints. Just as with HL2, there's nothing here to justify the obscenely high ratings. As a *game*, it's just dull. "As overrated as HL2" is the perfect way to describe BioShock. If you love pretty story-driven rail shooters with long load times like Half-Life 2, you'll love BioShock. If you like interesting, RPG-infused gameplay like System Shock 2, BioShock seriously disappoints. Just as with HL2, there's nothing here to justify the obscenely high ratings. As a *game*, it's just dull. Though it's fine if you look at it as an interactive horror movie, I'm sure, it doesn't hold a candle to Deus Ex, Vampire: Bloodlines, or the System Shocks, all of which are shooter/RPG hybrids that told a great story *and* were a hell of a lot of fun to play. BioShock is a game you play to get the next bit of story, not because it's inherently enjoyable. Expand
  54. {DvT}Hex
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bioshock uses the Unreal 3 engine so, of course, it is beautiful and plays well. It also employs the SecuRom root kit so, of course, it gets a zero rating. The fact that the root kit is not, per se, malware is irrelevant; it is still a root kit and will not see light of day on my system. As good as the game is, it isn't good enough to warrant doing a clean reinstall of Windows in Bioshock uses the Unreal 3 engine so, of course, it is beautiful and plays well. It also employs the SecuRom root kit so, of course, it gets a zero rating. The fact that the root kit is not, per se, malware is irrelevant; it is still a root kit and will not see light of day on my system. As good as the game is, it isn't good enough to warrant doing a clean reinstall of Windows in order to get rid of SecuRom. Expand
  55. Sep 29, 2011
    I really don't get why this game is set on such a pedestal. The theme is interesting and I do so love anything that trashes ayn rand, but it runs dry pretty quick. I didn't even finish the game, I found it so dull and even frustrating. I think I got to the gardens or something and just gave up.

I wasn't having fun, the combat was absolute garbage, the theme was getting boring and the plot was, well starting to get predictable. The graphics also were garbage, everything was fairly simplistic with only some shallow upgrades .. etc etc.

I'll give it a 3, one each, for the sunken underwater setting, the early entertaining audio logs, and letting me shoot at objectivists.
  56. Sep 17, 2013
    [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author] [comment no longer applicable, removed by the author]
  57. JoshuaMarks
    Nov 17, 2007
    When i first played it i thought maybe it will get better, but it didn't. i swear i must have been playing a different game to everyone who gave it above a 4. it was just like your average FPS. It does not even have online capabilities, so compared to games like COD4 and even the only Unreal games its not worth playing at all.
  58. MZ
    Sep 12, 2007
    The only good thing about this game are the graphics. Other than that, there isnt even 24 hours of gameplay, the storyline is almost non-existant and there is no replay value what-so-ever. Borrow it from someone who already bought it rather than shelling out your own money.
  59. Aug 1, 2013
    dont get me wrong the story was awesome and the graphics were incredible! but i find the gameplay very boring and unprofessional, people keep telling me i need ''skill'' to play the game but i beat it on the hardest difficulty!!! fountaine was super easy to kill and i dont like the fact that they never show his face, say his name, or that he only talks once in the whole game and that wasdont get me wrong the story was awesome and the graphics were incredible! but i find the gameplay very boring and unprofessional, people keep telling me i need ''skill'' to play the game but i beat it on the hardest difficulty!!! fountaine was super easy to kill and i dont like the fact that they never show his face, say his name, or that he only talks once in the whole game and that was at the biggening when hes on the plane! idk does anyone agree? Expand
  60. SebastianJ.
    Jul 6, 2008
    This is one of the worst games I've EVER played. It had terrible QA issues (randomly defaulting settings and un-mappable controls), awful sound design (I could never hear anyone speaking over the ambient RACKET, no matter how high and low I tuned their volumes, respectively), and horrible, HORRIBLE gameplay. Good writing and ambiance is useless when the actual shooting mechanic is This is one of the worst games I've EVER played. It had terrible QA issues (randomly defaulting settings and un-mappable controls), awful sound design (I could never hear anyone speaking over the ambient RACKET, no matter how high and low I tuned their volumes, respectively), and horrible, HORRIBLE gameplay. Good writing and ambiance is useless when the actual shooting mechanic is wobblier than an octogenarian. The splicers were awkward to fight and endlessly repetetive, all the characters (with whom we were supposed to relate) look like plastic, and for a purported RPG, this game has almost no genuine customisation options; I've never seen a worse case of consollitis. The degree of cooing praise for this game makes me sick. The 2 points are for the well-executed ripping off of Fountainhead/AS, and for the hard work 2K's art department wasted on this atrocious shadow of System Shock 2's glory. Expand
  61. Jan 6, 2011
    Just a plain shooter. Expected something like Deus Ex, but this was just **** YOU EVEN CALL THIS A RPG?? I played about 8 hours, but didn't have fun at all. The story didn't get running. (I don't know if it will). I expected more of the plasmids, but they were simple and boring. At least I didn't pay more than 4 euros from this steaming piece of hype.
  62. Jul 12, 2014
    Bioshock is not a good game.

It's not at all a good game. Bioshock has focused nearly all of its efforts on tricking the gaming public into thinking it's a good game, which is why it is one of the worst games in all of history. I am a person who is all about immersion, but the immersion in Bioshock is intensely contrived. In other words, it knows you like immersion, and it's
    Bioshock is not a good game.

It's not at all a good game.

I am a person who is all about immersion, but the immersion in Bioshock is intensely contrived. In other words, it knows you like immersion, and it's trying to manipulate you based on that. The people who made Bioshock don't like immersion, they just knew they would get awards and critical acclaim for it. Every 'great moment' in Bioshock is not Bioshock saying it thinks it's a great moment, it's Bioshock saying 'You'll probably think this is great.' I don't know how that passes for the public, but it doesn't pass for me. I want some honesty. If I'm not hearing what actual human beings think about something, then it's a waste of time

The gameplay is geared to a mind of about 3 years of age. You walk around, you shoot things... the end. A few extra bits like magic, minigames and photography are in there, but they add nothing interesting and just serve as a waste of time. Normally if your game is all about walking and shooting, it is made up for with interesting level design, interesting enemy behavior, or something like that. Not so in Bioshock, that's the whole game. You walk, you shoot, you walk some more, and then you shoot. You listen to some bad voice actor reading some boring dialogue about something you don't care about, then you watch a cinematic with some of the most shallow pointless characters ever, TELLING you you're supposed to care, but really truly finding that you don't.

This is the most shallow game I have ever played. It makes almost zero attempt to present the player with something true and good, something that someone worked their heart out on and truly believed in, Instead you can sense the developers behind the scenes thinking, "The inferior masses will eat this up." And you did. Nobody at 2K Games cares one iota about Bioshock. They care only about money and prestige. It's not a game made by people for people, it's a game made by people for mindless zombies who have no respect for their own views on important issues.

Oh! It's a game with MORALS. Good, because I'm too much of a child to figure that stuff out on my own. Thank you 2K Games, for treating me like I'm stupid and morally bankrupt. Thank you for standing up as the standard of goodness so that we know that anyone who disagrees with you is evil
  63. AnonM.
    Mar 4, 2008
    Totally agree with most of the rest low voters. just hated it. I expected too much I guess since this game is annoyingly overrated. critics and players should be more careful in their reviews to avoid causing great expectations.
  64. CODYLANDES
    Sep 14, 2007
    i hate this game it is not as good as halo by a longshot i hate the game the story line is short i got this game last week and i have beaten it twice it is to easy who ever likes this game is werid i hate it halo is better bioshock does not deserve first place halo does and it will be once it comes out halo actully makes sence and it i boring and it sucks
  65. HI8R
    Jan 1, 2010
    Finished it on all 3 levels and both endings. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes fun and almost easy. Gameplay is reliable, smooth and consistant. A great balance of action and adventure without frustration. I give an 8 because the graphic style was a little outdated in my opinion even maxed out with DX10, but it works for this game. Im looking forward to Bioshock 2.
  66. DavidD.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Not as good as the hype promissed. The atmosphere and story are great, but the ai of the splicers is inconsistent, and the little sisters seem like something of an afterthought. I'm enjoying it, but I like HL2 much much more. There are also some inconsistencies with the graphics. Sometimes water obscures your view, sometimes it doesn't. Just seems like they "dressed up" part of Not as good as the hype promissed. The atmosphere and story are great, but the ai of the splicers is inconsistent, and the little sisters seem like something of an afterthought. I'm enjoying it, but I like HL2 much much more. There are also some inconsistencies with the graphics. Sometimes water obscures your view, sometimes it doesn't. Just seems like they "dressed up" part of the game, but it's not as finished as I would have expected. Expand
  67. ChrisD
    Oct 18, 2007
    This game was undoubtedly amazing, the atmosphere is great, the graphics are incredible and then the sound is great too! The story though is absolutely amazing also, but to the negatives. The only reason I gave it a 9 was because theres not much to go back into the game after you beat it, not even for the achievements, at least I didn't have the will to do so. But unless you do getThis game was undoubtedly amazing, the atmosphere is great, the graphics are incredible and then the sound is great too! The story though is absolutely amazing also, but to the negatives. The only reason I gave it a 9 was because theres not much to go back into the game after you beat it, not even for the achievements, at least I didn't have the will to do so. But unless you do get all the achievements through the first run, theres not really anything to go back and replay the game. Expand
  68. JojoFine
    Sep 1, 2007
    People don't give this game enough credit for what it IS. The point of Bioshock it to bring life into the long-dead RPG-shooter genre. It certainly requires reflexes as well as resource management and skill-building, and I can understand how a die-hard shooter fan would want to forget about the micromanagement and just shoot things, while the RPG fan might complain about the People don't give this game enough credit for what it IS. The point of Bioshock it to bring life into the long-dead RPG-shooter genre. It certainly requires reflexes as well as resource management and skill-building, and I can understand how a die-hard shooter fan would want to forget about the micromanagement and just shoot things, while the RPG fan might complain about the fast-paced, first-person gameplay, but neither of those two archetypes should have bought this game to begin with. It's like playing chess and complaining that it isn't enough like checkers. This is a niche game and, while it contains shooter and RPG elements, essentially defines it's own genre. There are few elements of the game that should be objectionable to fan's of both RPGs and shooters, as the game does try to please everyone, and any open-minded gamer should be able to see the solid gameplay and exquisite storytelling present in Bioshock. This game reminds me a lot of Rainbow Six Vegas, and this is why. Vegas was an effort on the part of Ubisoft to rejuvenate the Rainbow Six squad-based tactical franchise. However, along the way, the game got dumbed down to be more accessible to a wider audience, with weapon and armor stats stripped down to the bare minimum and tactics enacted on the battlefield as opposed to in a pre-gameplay planning session. Bioshock does the same for RPG-shooters of the past, such as System Shock and Deus Ex. The gameplay is still there, and the main attraction is still the open-ended gameplay and the RPG decisions which would then translate into tangible advantages while playing in real time. However, the RPG elements have been shaved down to save the shooter fanatic from losing interest. Anyone who thinks that this game is overly complicated and therefore not as fun as a standard kill-fest obviously isn't coming into it with the proper intention of playing a game in which the satisfaction comes from being able to play the game your own way. The character-building options are extremely varied and provide interesting new gameplay options and if you chose to forgo taking advantage of these customization options, it's your own fault if you find the game boring and derivative. Expand
  69. VernR.
    Sep 10, 2007
    Right at the start I should mention this is the first game I've enjoyed in some time but... Firstly it's got that annoying little SecuROM issue which makes it a bitch to uninstall... The graphics look awesome when cranked up full but I can only play on slightly higher than medium :( which means they look nothing special. A more general graphical problem is the stage are just too Right at the start I should mention this is the first game I've enjoyed in some time but... Firstly it's got that annoying little SecuROM issue which makes it a bitch to uninstall... The graphics look awesome when cranked up full but I can only play on slightly higher than medium :( which means they look nothing special. A more general graphical problem is the stage are just too dark, I know it's under the sea and all but the contrast could be upped a bit. I was so happy to get to Arcadia with all it's greenery and light... and then it all died and went yellow-brown :( Following from the graphics the atmosphere was really good but the sudden bursts of music were irritating and tended to occur whilst Atlas was talking to me. Also the game is very linear which detracts from the atmosphere somewhat... a just charge attitude works fine. My main gripe is with the combat, I found it very easy and very samey (I'm playing on hard). Even with the inclusion of the re-spawn thingys I've rarely died and always seem to have enough ammo - the first Big Daddys are the only difficult battles I've had so far. The AI doesn't make the combat any better as the splicers either run straight at you or run away - chasing down fleeing splices gets old quite fast. It would be nice if they went to find reinforcement or setup ambushes or just something else. Then there's the wrench. I found the majority of combat to be a back and forwards close range dance whilst trying to hit my victim in the head with it (after setting them on fire). And there aren't really that many enemies... I think I've counted five splices and two types of big daddys I'm hoping I'll come across more but I suspect not... they just seem to be getting more health. Lastly there's the annoying hacking sub-game. It's fun the first few times but I must have hacked on the order of hundreds of things... it's getting tiresome. Expand
  70. MarkP.
    Sep 8, 2007
    Bioshock is an undeniably good game, but definitely not a great game. I don't understand the incredible hype surrounding this title. It is a fairly polished shooter with mostly nice graphics and an interesting storyline. There is nothing particularly revolutionary or innovative in Bioshock. Gameplay is standard fps fair, with some minor control issues that will likely be ironed out Bioshock is an undeniably good game, but definitely not a great game. I don't understand the incredible hype surrounding this title. It is a fairly polished shooter with mostly nice graphics and an interesting storyline. There is nothing particularly revolutionary or innovative in Bioshock. Gameplay is standard fps fair, with some minor control issues that will likely be ironed out in a future patch. Combat is fun, though fighting the same enemies eventually becomes tedious. The normal difficulty setting is a bit too easy, and switching to hard doesn Expand
  71. AndrewBurg
    Oct 1, 2007
    Well after a lot of trailers, TV commercials, teasers and demos Bioshock has come to PC and Xbox360 and I can honestly say, I'm impressed.
    I wouldn't say it's entirely new, but pretty original in any case. It's got an amazing theme, atmosphere and characters. You'll find yourself facing logic puzzles and very tough foes, but to almost every problem there's generally an easier alternative; so it's best to keep your wits about you, especially during the tougher parts.
    Graphics-wise the 360 is well equipped but it's pretty tough on the PC. For those who have the capability you will be generously rewarded by the stunning detail of the characters, and ofcourse the underwater city enviroment, which has been very well designed on screen and very believable. Overall I found it entertaining, sometimes frustrating and always suspensive and I believe this game delivers home what any good FPS should provide. (An amphibian one that is!)
  72. D.S.
    Oct 23, 2007
    It was fun the first half, up to the fight with sander cohen (that level was pure brilliance). I thought they were just going to go up from there, i was loving the game at that point, but it just fell flat from there. The story gets more and more convoluted and random as the last chapters progress, and plot holes start to form all over the place. I rarely found myself using plasmids, as i It was fun the first half, up to the fight with sander cohen (that level was pure brilliance). I thought they were just going to go up from there, i was loving the game at that point, but it just fell flat from there. The story gets more and more convoluted and random as the last chapters progress, and plot holes start to form all over the place. I rarely found myself using plasmids, as i had so much cash for ammo from hacking damn near everything i saw, which became painfully repetitive very quickly. The big dadies are a joke after the first few levels, and AI is piss poor. There isn't any gameplay choices that actually effect how you play or what you will experience in game besides a different set of voice overs here and there- i was marketed to that this was certainly not the case- that bioshock was groundbreaking in this regard. A large part of the second half of the game feels like it belongs somewhere else. The atmosphere was among the best of any game ever released- but they let it go to waste on a very ordinary set of game mechanics and an extremely anti climatic finale... buy it if you like being dissapointed. Expand
  73. SebG.
    Dec 30, 2007
    Clumsy and plain, hidden behind a dull ('innovative') setting. Repetitive and utterly non-immersive, the 10-rating reviews read as if they are meant to be sarcastic. Criminally overrated. I wouldn't bother.
  74. S.G.
    Oct 8, 2007
    First I couldn't get the game to run because I use a tool other than Windows task manager to view running processes. Then, after I got it running, it was very pretty; stunning, in both graphics and sound. Then I discovered the linear, comic book story aimed at 10 year olds, and kill-everything-that-moves FPS action. Then I quit playing. This is just the next step in FPS game AI and First I couldn't get the game to run because I use a tool other than Windows task manager to view running processes. Then, after I got it running, it was very pretty; stunning, in both graphics and sound. Then I discovered the linear, comic book story aimed at 10 year olds, and kill-everything-that-moves FPS action. Then I quit playing. This is just the next step in FPS game AI and graphics evolution. Just because its better than some of the more repetitive, older FPS's out there, (any one of the DOOM games) doesn't make it great or even good. Expand
  75. jrocknyc
    Aug 23, 2007
    Decent, but overhyped and overly complex.
  76. NathanH
    Aug 25, 2007
    Such a pity. Great art direction is wasted on the same old crap dressed up in pretty clothes. No sense of build up or tension, repetitive combat, contrived plot. The atmosphere that people are going on about is actually the 'potential atmosphere' this game could have had if it was made by capcom
    Sep 20, 2007
    Great concept, but marred by horrible instability and random (show-stopping or experience shattering) bugs.
  78. GeorgB.
    Sep 27, 2007
    Bioshock is an arcade shooter with some pretty art direction and and a decent attempt at telling a story. Gameplay is another question however. Its short. Its very linear. It relies on too many "oh no blood" moments and Neither the FPS nor RPG side are particularly well developed. This would have been a 6/10 if it had multiplayer and a less obstrusive activation system. As it is, Bioshock Bioshock is an arcade shooter with some pretty art direction and and a decent attempt at telling a story. Gameplay is another question however. Its short. Its very linear. It relies on too many "oh no blood" moments and Neither the FPS nor RPG side are particularly well developed. This would have been a 6/10 if it had multiplayer and a less obstrusive activation system. As it is, Bioshock deserves about 3/10. Expand
  79. AdrianH.
    Sep 30, 2007
    After downloading the demo and cruising through it, I found myself wondering why on earth anyone would spend more than $10 for this game. Sure, the graphics weren't too bad... but thats about the only thing worth mentioning.
  80. RemusRupa
    Sep 9, 2007
    i would have give it 1 but it has some nice graphix but it still has some graphic errors and the engine is not that good 3 ( let's buy the unreal engine used by 9999999 games and do some improvment so we don't have to work so hard : )
    story 0 it just doesn't make any sence
    sound 0 i got that stupid looping sound gameplay 3 (hacking is like ****, turrets in 1960 wtf,
    story 0 it just doesn't make any sence
    sound 0 i got that stupid looping sound
    gameplay 3 (hacking is like ****, turrets in 1960 wtf, electric gel wtf, audio logs/pda that's not from doom 3 :/ ,only 2 enamies well only ok there are many splicers butthey are just the same, horror my ass it's not that scarry, above all a city under wather that has gone wrong and all the zombies ups splicers running and the one who is helping you turns bad now that's not from doom 3 NO : ).
    So i don't get why in the world is rated so high?????????
    I mean 96 WTF STALKER is 100 times better and it got 86 i think
  81. AndrewG.
    Jan 5, 2008
    The zero may seem harsh - but is a reflection of its several sins matched against its hype. Entirely implausible in its contextual setting, both in the technology and its internal reasoning. Its impossible to maintain suspension of disbelief when the hyper-advanced genetic and AI technology was supposed to have existed in the 1950's, and when these ridiculous super-powers were The zero may seem harsh - but is a reflection of its several sins matched against its hype. Entirely implausible in its contextual setting, both in the technology and its internal reasoning. Its impossible to maintain suspension of disbelief when the hyper-advanced genetic and AI technology was supposed to have existed in the 1950's, and when these ridiculous super-powers were supposed to have been marketed by a genius, visionary Tycoon. Intensely stupid. All choice is an illusion, save the alternate ending sequence (thanks Youtube), because your character will always progress as a jack of all trades (magic-user/warrior/gunman/hacker). Contrived restrictions abound whenever the heavily-scripted story decides to advance - invisible barriers guarantee linearity, gameplay contradictions and impossibilities occur where needed (being frozen while on fire, a bottle weighing more than a corpse...) - and if you do stray from your intended path, prepare for objects to implausibly emerge from the ether, as enemies do throughout the game (of which there is astonishingly little variety). The concept of two men going insane and at each others throats is far less compelling than the idea (within SS2, deep breath) of two security AI's going haywire versus a psychic alien race versus the crew of the Von Braun and Rickenbacker, and asks dreary questions of morality rather than those of possibility. Additionally, the narrative of escalating chaos and madness within either of the System Shock games is superior, and scarier. It is difficult to let this game be called 'innovative' and 'ground-breaking' when all it does is to weakly mimic the gameplay concepts that made the System Shock series convincing. Furthermore, SS2 achieved quite different environments within each of the ship decks, while in the alien, inside the smaller vessel, and in the nightmare mind of Shodans AI. Bioshock plays through endless dark, claustrophobic, albeit attractive art-deco designed rooms or underwater passageways, filled with noisy vents and infinite, increasingly annoying baddies. This is as Oblivion is to Morrowind or Daggerfall - pretty, but dumb, inexplicably gaining better reviews despite sacrificing untold potential for the sake of watery water and bricky bricks. And yes, the water is quite watery (most watery in fact, until Crysis was released). My true score for this game would be 7.2/10 - an average shooter - so this zero is to perform my part in bringing the reader average to that end. If you have a brain get STALKER or The Orange Box - or System Shock 2 if you can survive antiquated graphics. Expand
  82. JonJ.
    Feb 4, 2008
    What this game succeeds in is atmosphere and immersion in a great environment. What it doesn't succeed as well in is the combat and the RPG elements. The combat involves creatures that immediately run into your face up-close. It's so very repetitive. The RPG elements are somewhat inventive but they don't wow me over, either. This game is so very hyped by fans and that just What this game succeeds in is atmosphere and immersion in a great environment. What it doesn't succeed as well in is the combat and the RPG elements. The combat involves creatures that immediately run into your face up-close. It's so very repetitive. The RPG elements are somewhat inventive but they don't wow me over, either. This game is so very hyped by fans and that just shows how desperate we have become even for a moderately good first person FPS game with some mild RPG elements. This game says that graphics, atmosphere and immersion matter much more than depth of gameplay perhaps because ease-of-entry is more important than longevity and replayability. My favorite part of the game was completing the photography tasks for the artist guy who then celebrates with the nice fireworks and great speech! That was indeed cool, but it wasn't RPG. Expand
  83. A.NOther
    Mar 7, 2008
    I just dont enjoy playing bioshock. It plays like a cheap console FPS with RPG elements. The artwork and themes are pretty cool but are let down by ropey graphics and lighting. The whole game is just so dissapointing, i cannot see what people are raving about so much! Bioshock may be deeper than Halo 3 or Crysis, but its faliure to pull off basic FPS elements and engage the player result I just dont enjoy playing bioshock. It plays like a cheap console FPS with RPG elements. The artwork and themes are pretty cool but are let down by ropey graphics and lighting. The whole game is just so dissapointing, i cannot see what people are raving about so much! Bioshock may be deeper than Halo 3 or Crysis, but its faliure to pull off basic FPS elements and engage the player result in a game of quality not aproaching either of these titles. Expand
  84. Ikke
    Apr 13, 2008
    Sure... the game looks just AWESOME... But the story is very vague / confusing and does not interest me to play any further. Stupid thing is, even if I wanted to play any further, the game simply won't let me. Like many others I have a problem with the game crashing at certain point's in the game.
  85. Antonio
    Jul 16, 2008
    OK. Here's my take on Bioshock. It's a strong game that was (usually) a pleasure to play. However, it was truly slightly overhyped... The game was too much on the shooter side while I expected more bits of art and psychology (at least this is how the game was presented in reviews). The things I liked: the environment, audio diaries (though they could sound louder), big OK. Here's my take on Bioshock. It's a strong game that was (usually) a pleasure to play. However, it was truly slightly overhyped... The game was too much on the shooter side while I expected more bits of art and psychology (at least this is how the game was presented in reviews). The things I liked: the environment, audio diaries (though they could sound louder), big daddies/little sisters (the girlish cry over the fallen daddy, saving the sister animation Expand
  86. vespinevespine
    Aug 5, 2008
    It is ridiculous that this game scored so high! Yes it is a good game but it is far FAR from the 5th best PC game ever made, as the reviews would lead you to believe. I'm glad the user reviews are a little more realistic! I have one thing to say about this game: WTF is a vending machine dispensing a one use weapon upgrade?!!? Come on? Dumbest feature in a game ever. Even worse is It is ridiculous that this game scored so high! Yes it is a good game but it is far FAR from the 5th best PC game ever made, as the reviews would lead you to believe. I'm glad the user reviews are a little more realistic! I have one thing to say about this game: WTF is a vending machine dispensing a one use weapon upgrade?!!? Come on? Dumbest feature in a game ever. Even worse is that it would have been very easy to do something a lot more interesting and believable, like, for example, you simply FIND a weapon upgrade in a locker, or cupboard or something! Or if you really like the vending machine idea, make it cost a rare plasmid or material that you only find one of in the level or something, was that so hard? Are we supposed to believe someone built a free weapon upgrade vending machine that has exactly ONE charge, and lucky for you, no one else has used it up yet until you come along! So very dumb. Ok, one more thing: The end boss was completely out of place in the game, just about enough to ruin the game by itself if I didn't think there was other things wrong with it. Deus Ex deserves the number 5 spot way more then Bioshock, hell, even COD4 deserves it more. Yes 3 is probably low, but i'm scoring relatively, realistically i'd give it a 6. Expand
  87. JohnJ.
    Sep 21, 2008
    Nice idea, but bad game.
  88. PaulT.
    Sep 6, 2008
    Bioshock uses invasive DRM to require the game to use an activation server. Despite now removing the activations limit, the game still needs an activation server for life! How will we install this game in the future when that activation server is turned off?
  89. RomanS.
    Feb 18, 2009
    This game is just horrible. It really doesn't deserve a rating of 96, instead I would rate it with 40. I had no fun with playing the game at all. After WEEKS I've finished it, just to reach the end, and I was happy I don't have to play it anymore. I bought it on Steam for 5 dollars but Bioshock isn't even worth one Cent. Do NOT buy this game, it is hyped crap
  90. JoshQ
    Apr 26, 2009
    If you think the combination of a somewhat cool story, poor weapon ballistics, extremely small arsenal and variation of enemies, zero interaction between the other characters, and extremely repetitive world with small linear levels packed into a very short game is cool then this game is for you. On the other hand, I personally was part of the pre-release hype, and optimistically played If you think the combination of a somewhat cool story, poor weapon ballistics, extremely small arsenal and variation of enemies, zero interaction between the other characters, and extremely repetitive world with small linear levels packed into a very short game is cool then this game is for you. On the other hand, I personally was part of the pre-release hype, and optimistically played through the game once all along knowing I was just playing the game to beat the game and received no enjoyment from it. Expand
  91. Magnus
    Apr 6, 2009
    I'm still wondering how this game is the #1 on Steam...it was good, but it wasn't NEARLY as spectacular as everyone makes it out to be. Primary reasons: It's ludicrously short...the game and bosses are pathetically easy(yes, I played it on hard with the BioRevTanks turned off...and I beat it in six hours), and (***SPOILER***) the final boss is perhaps even the easiest among I'm still wondering how this game is the #1 on Steam...it was good, but it wasn't NEARLY as spectacular as everyone makes it out to be. Primary reasons: It's ludicrously short...the game and bosses are pathetically easy(yes, I played it on hard with the BioRevTanks turned off...and I beat it in six hours), and (***SPOILER***) the final boss is perhaps even the easiest among them all. The different forms of enemies are extremely limited and universally easy to overcome. All that's necessary to beat this game is a handful of choice plasmids, a wrench and a shotgun. I do have to say, the story was riveting. I did however, get tired of the insanely long dialogues over that pesky radio. So if you're a weekend warrior looking to brag that "Yeah, I beat BioShock!"...no one will be impressed. Borrow it from your friend, play it once, buy Mount&Blade and play a real RPG. Expand
  92. CH
    May 6, 2009
    Yes, the graphics are superb. The system and gameplay are unique. But that's it. First of all, I find those junk box (or the thing which sells stuffs) a nuisance. I dont mind a money system, but hacking the machine by completing some pipe connecting puzzles? Please! This is a FPS!!! Those real physical puzzles from HL2 are already at the limit, and this 2D puzzles are simply Yes, the graphics are superb. The system and gameplay are unique. But that's it. First of all, I find those junk box (or the thing which sells stuffs) a nuisance. I dont mind a money system, but hacking the machine by completing some pipe connecting puzzles? Please! This is a FPS!!! Those real physical puzzles from HL2 are already at the limit, and this 2D puzzles are simply unacceptable. It's not that I am bad at puzzle solving but I simply cannot stand the mixtures. What's worse, I've actually solved more puzzles than shootings. And considering that those shootings are barely shootings with "guns". Ammo runs out at the speed of light, and I've seen myself using melee weapons all the time.... Sometimes I wish that I can break the glass roofs so that I can drown the whole darn city. Expand
  93. AlanM
    Jan 7, 2010
    I think Bioshock sucks. While it is pretty to look at, the sound effects are very week. the guns don't even sound like a gun. Plus it is too hard to get through, even on Normal. I get killed within 2 or 3 minutes every time.
  94. MrGamer
    Nov 10, 2007
    I had so much hope for this game, with all the great reviews and user comments posted everywhere not only in Metacritic. But despite my waiting for almost three months to make sure a patch and all the bugs were ironed out, Im so disappointed upon getting this game. First, the auto internet updating procedure upon installation sucks! What if you only have a dial-up connection? 2K, consider I had so much hope for this game, with all the great reviews and user comments posted everywhere not only in Metacritic. But despite my waiting for almost three months to make sure a patch and all the bugs were ironed out, Im so disappointed upon getting this game. First, the auto internet updating procedure upon installation sucks! What if you only have a dial-up connection? 2K, consider not everyone has good internet connection! Also, upon finishing the very,very long installation time which took almost the entire day, I had an adventure just running the darn thing!! It's so unpredictable if it will run or not, despite being qualified to run the game in my system. 2K, no matter how good the game is, it's all out the window if it won't run!!! And you charge $50 for this crap? Shame on you!! You wasted many days in my life trying to get the thing to work on my PC, and until now, it still does not work!! I may just throw the DVD in the garbage bin where it belongs. Last 2K game I bought was Civilization 4, which was excellent.. but then this? Very, very, disappointing. Expand
  95. MrGamer
  96. MrGamer
  97. ThegiDDl
    Oct 18, 2007
    Really, really nice graphics, story is quite well, but there are always the same enemys, difficulty doesn't increase at all.... I'm very disappointed
  98. KatO.
    Oct 4, 2007
    It's a mediocre game. Many of the "new" features were made ages ago, and about 8/10 of the "revolutinary interactive gameplay" has already been made in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic! This game has kinda sorta some decent graphics, kinda sorta a decent storyline - but besides that? Well... I wouldn't quit my day job.
  99. B.M.
    Oct 5, 2007
    Nice visuals, but absolutely boring gameplay - nothing new. a big disappointment.
  100. DaveA.
    Aug 22, 2007
    Horrible bugs out of box. Unable to see mouse cursor. Horrible FOV for widescreen users. Tons of graphical glitches. I expect this quality from EA. I'll just be waiting for Starcraft 2 now. Blizzard never goes wrong.

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.