8.4

1. Jun 2, 2013
    Loved the atmosphere and the story, but the gameplay is EXTREMELY lacking.

Everything gameplay-wise is poorly designed, from the frantic looting to the poor puzzles and messy equipment window.
  2. Jun 26, 2013
    I couldn't understand the hype over Bioshock infinite- Bioshock 1 will always remain in my heart as the best Bioshock of them all, the story is amazing and gameplay is pretty fun. I'd say the story and execution of the story bumps this game to 93, gameplay wise it's around 80.
    Recommended!
  3. Jul 20, 2013
    Well, this game is awful... why? VITA CHAMBER... I can not think of any other easiest game than this one... what's the point on playing on HARD difficulty if those damn vita chambers resurrect you anytime you die?!!?! I literally beated this game using the wrench 95% of the times, I even beated big daddies with the wrench... BORING!
  4. Aug 8, 2013
    Probably the most overrated game of all time. True Rapture is beautiful and amazing and I was kinda surprised by the "twist" but it wasn't spectacular. However the biggest problem is the controls and lack of it. The guns don't pack any punch and the button used to aim down the sights is oddly placed. Great concept but it did not live up to it's potential
  5. Aug 15, 2013
    I'm not entirely sure what all the fuss is about this game. Its gameplay was mediocre at best, although the plotline and overall graphics, I will say, were well done.

Boring and repetitive enemies. Linear gameplay. Powerups that aren't even useful. And don't even get me started about the broken death system. "Oh, you were an idiot and died? No problem, full health for you and you keep all your progress!" Talk about dumbing it down for the masses! Also, for Christ's sake, get more than 3 voice actor's. I was ready to punch holes in my speakers after hearing enemies say the same crap over and over and over for hours.

Overall: Not that impressed.
  6. Jan 8, 2014
    Bioshock has a creepy atmosphere not just in the game but when u consider the whole point of the game which is man having ultimate power.Voice acting is top notch likewise is the level of detail gone on to make the game.The story is mysterious and creepy for most parts and the characters are just brilliant.The only negative about this game is that it has to end and wraps up too quickly.
  7. Dec 2, 2013
    I don't know any other game which has such a great climate as BioShock. It can be really scary at some moments! If you haven't played in BioShock yet, do it now!
  8. Aug 28, 2013
    I guess I liked the game, I couldn't really get into it though for some reason, not too sure how it became so popular, but that's just my opinion.

Defiantly unique and interesting! I recommend it, but I think this feels like more of a console game though, so I suggest getting it on your console.
  9. Sep 19, 2013
    just buy it it,s goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddd
  10. Sep 8, 2013
    Finish the game on a good path. A mixed bag from the game. The development of skills of the character during the game it's definitely a plus. Not many shooters can please pumping. Yet the AI ​​is not very bad as well. Plot too thought out. On the other hand repetitive missions first you are being driven through the whole mission, then after a couple of hours finally reaching the goal,Finish the game on a good path. A mixed bag from the game. The development of skills of the character during the game it's definitely a plus. Not many shooters can please pumping. Yet the AI ​​is not very bad as well. Plot too thought out. On the other hand repetitive missions first you are being driven through the whole mission, then after a couple of hours finally reaching the goal, know that the door that separates you from moving to the next level is closed and to open it you have to build something in the amount of n pieces (photographs, objects it.p). To do this one more time to go through all the locations, again make the same enemies while carefully seek out the requested items. "Second passage" of this same mission also takes a lot of time and rather boring. Expand
  11. Dec 5, 2014
    Great pre-game of that, what "Bioshock: Infinite" saved and done more goodly, than here!.. But dont forgetting about that fact, that this is really one of the best "first person shooter games" ever!
  12. Jan 21, 2014
    This is the best game I have ever played. The story alone had me playing this all day long, the only time I stopped was to use the restroom. Not to mention the fact that the controls are so new and fresh as well as fun. The game was also based off of a massive novel by Ayn Rand called "Atlas Shrugged". This game compelled me to go read the entire book. And it was a great book, and you canThis is the best game I have ever played. The story alone had me playing this all day long, the only time I stopped was to use the restroom. Not to mention the fact that the controls are so new and fresh as well as fun. The game was also based off of a massive novel by Ayn Rand called "Atlas Shrugged". This game compelled me to go read the entire book. And it was a great book, and you can really see how it fits in with the world of Rapture. This adds a whole new depth of feel for the game once you read the book. Overall this is not just a game, but it is an experience. So much so that you just have to go through it to understand the genius of it. I am proud to list this as my favorite game. Expand
  13. Nov 19, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (1/2) Visuals/Story (2/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

Gameplay (1/2)

Visuals/Story (2/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (1/2)

Pricing (1/2)

Wildcard (0)

14. May 31, 2014
    The Ocarina of Time of First Person Shooters.
    I've played lots of games over the years and very rarely has something stood out like BioShock. I was late to the game on this one, playing it years after it came out, but the incredible amount of work put into it made it stand out, even against better looking games.
    It will always be timeless. Goldeneye, halo and call of duties will come and
    The Ocarina of Time of First Person Shooters.
    It will always be timeless. Goldeneye, halo and call of duties will come and go, but Bioshock deserves to join the ranks of Half-life 1 as one of the greatest games in which one shoots other people.
    Story doesnt matter. Characters dont matter. Graphics dont matter. Only what you feel with the gun floating in front of your face matters.
    Very few games give me what I call the Ocarina of Time paradox--I want to play them over and over in order to re experience them, but it becomes less special as I play it more times. I can't wait until enough time has passed for me to play this game again.
  15. Jul 31, 2014
    Unfortunately, I was hyped for Bioshock to no end. The spiritual successor to one of the best games in history - System Shock, partly from the same creators. The expectations went through the roof, raving reviews, promo lines like System Shock on steroids, you get the idea. But when I started playing this I was like What??? What is this console shooter crap? Yes, the location is nice and IUnfortunately, I was hyped for Bioshock to no end. The spiritual successor to one of the best games in history - System Shock, partly from the same creators. The expectations went through the roof, raving reviews, promo lines like System Shock on steroids, you get the idea. But when I started playing this I was like What??? What is this console shooter crap? Yes, the location is nice and I always love the retro flavor, but other than that the entire thing was a huge disappointment for me. From visuals and engine, to enemies and game mechanics, disappointment was huge with this one. 5/10 Expand
  16. Dec 3, 2013
    This is one of the greatest stories I've ever experienced, as well as some of the best gaming mechanics and progression. There's this constant, strange feeling of fascination as you react to the insanity of the characters around you. The world is beautiful and believable with just a few complaints; recurring models and voice actors persistently remind you that it's just a game. Also,This is one of the greatest stories I've ever experienced, as well as some of the best gaming mechanics and progression. There's this constant, strange feeling of fascination as you react to the insanity of the characters around you. The world is beautiful and believable with just a few complaints; recurring models and voice actors persistently remind you that it's just a game. Also, nearing the games completion, there's a fantastic cut-scene that seems to be preparing you for the game's conclusion, but as it turns out, there are several more areas to explore. This might end up making these last few areas feel a little slow, as it did for me, because you're ready for an epic finale but not shown one for quite a while. If you look past these things, Bioshock is hands down one of the best gaming experiences of the past decade. Expand
  17. Dec 8, 2013
    This is one of those "Why on earth didn't I play this game sooner" games. I hesitant to call this game a work of art, because that sounds horridly pretentious. The shooter aspect is alright, the game itself isn't terribly difficult, the graphics are dated by 2013 standards, and the horror moments are not enough to compare it to horror games. That said, this game has am amazing score, aThis is one of those "Why on earth didn't I play this game sooner" games. I hesitant to call this game a work of art, because that sounds horridly pretentious. The shooter aspect is alright, the game itself isn't terribly difficult, the graphics are dated by 2013 standards, and the horror moments are not enough to compare it to horror games. That said, this game has am amazing score, a totally immersing environment, sufficient levels of creepy without going too overboard, lots to explore, and a story that blatantly mocks Ayn Rand while making you think she had many good ideas.

If you haven't played this game yet, you really should. It's an experience.
  18. Jwv
    Jan 11, 2014
    One of the best singleplayer experiences out there, and probably the best game I played after Half-Life 2. Extremely cool combat, although more kinds of enemies would have been welcome; great sound-effects; good story and plot-twist; consequences for player choice (albeit minor); and one of the coolest concepts in the history of gaming ever! One of the best things of the game are itsOne of the best singleplayer experiences out there, and probably the best game I played after Half-Life 2. Extremely cool combat, although more kinds of enemies would have been welcome; great sound-effects; good story and plot-twist; consequences for player choice (albeit minor); and one of the coolest concepts in the history of gaming ever! One of the best things of the game are its gorgeous, large sand-box levels that just beg to be explored, there are also a lot of player-triggered events in each level, the levels and its inhabitants are dynamic and each level has its own unique theme. Expand
  19. Jan 27, 2014
    Calling BioShoch a mere video game is quit inaccurate,it would be more accurate to call it a philosophy book in which you turn pages by brutally murdering splicer(I like to call them sploicers) and other things, namely the big daddies and turrets; and the powerful quotes are instead represented by the Little sisters and the choice they offer, and occasionally-if we're lucky-actual quotesCalling BioShoch a mere video game is quit inaccurate,it would be more accurate to call it a philosophy book in which you turn pages by brutally murdering splicer(I like to call them sploicers) and other things, namely the big daddies and turrets; and the powerful quotes are instead represented by the Little sisters and the choice they offer, and occasionally-if we're lucky-actual quotes by my all time favorite video game character Andrew Ryan the man who provided me with my personnel motto and the must influential phrase of my adolescence :"A man chooses.A slave obeys".
    But don't you think for a moment that the robust story and philosophy of BioShock isn't supported by the gameplay; because it is, up to date BioShock's gamplay is still one of the most original and solid gamplays ever presented in an FPS, heck... sometimes you even get more immersed in the gameplay than the story. I mean you have guns-which is always a plus-;plasmids(aka: the plusest plus of all pluses, maybe after the portal gun and some other stuffs); hacking; gene tonics...extra,extra. What else would you ask for?you know other than taking the HL2 approach and enabling mods; imagine BioShock with mods,Oh yeah;OK now stp imagining before you **** your pants.
    All in all, the original BioShock is a must-play no matter who you are;it got story, gamplay , and more importantly: Andrew Ryan.
  20. Feb 14, 2014
    Bad shooting physics and bad story plot. A highly overrated game. It might was a good game in 2007 but in 2014 it is not satisfying. Only good thing in the game is the coolness of Big Daddy. Deserves at most 5 points.
  21. Jun 25, 2014
    ok so i just went out and bought all the bioshock's and naturally i stated with this one. i must say this game is so boring played for 5 hours and haven't had any fun yet. the other ones better be better. i have no idea how this game has been rated so highly the game play is terrible and the story isn't even that great. im pissed off to say the least what an overrated piece of crap i canok so i just went out and bought all the bioshock's and naturally i stated with this one. i must say this game is so boring played for 5 hours and haven't had any fun yet. the other ones better be better. i have no idea how this game has been rated so highly the game play is terrible and the story isn't even that great. im pissed off to say the least what an overrated piece of crap i can honestly say i had more fun play cod ghosts. Expand
  22. Aug 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't get me wrong I liked this game. The Good: The Story was well done the atmosphere was good as well. Now for the bad: The ending(s) were terrible the gameplay got kinda repetitive half-way through. Overall i recommend it, but I think bioshock infinite was the best of the series. Expand
  23. Sep 12, 2014
    Some glitches with Windows 8 (yes it's old) but once fixed I could enjoy it though a bit late, good graphics for the time, beautiful scenery like Arcadia, the only problem I have is that it's still very hard to me even on medium difficulty setting, I do lose lives so often!
  24. Sep 19, 2014
    Bioshock is more than just an extremely polished and entertaining first-person shooter; It's an uncompromising vision of one man's attempt to create a utopian society and the terrifying aftermath that his became his legacy. This stands as one of the best examples of video games as an art form: Bold, fresh, and leaving the player with more questions than answers. This game must beBioshock is more than just an extremely polished and entertaining first-person shooter; It's an uncompromising vision of one man's attempt to create a utopian society and the terrifying aftermath that his became his legacy. This stands as one of the best examples of video games as an art form: Bold, fresh, and leaving the player with more questions than answers. This game must be experienced. Now, would you kindly go play it? Expand
  25. Sep 17, 2014
    Great gameplay, immersive setting, a rather haunting story and the rather frequent jumpscares. My favorite game of all time. Now, if you haven't played the game, would you kindly go do so?
  26. Oct 11, 2014
    If I were to be comparing this game to some of the good old fps and pegs, this game would suck. It would be WAY too simple, but if I were to be comparing this to a modern day fps or rpg this would be a brilliant game. I would also compare it to system shock 2, but I never played that(it's illegal to not have played it, I know). This game is a fantastic blend of rpg and fps. The gameIf I were to be comparing this game to some of the good old fps and pegs, this game would suck. It would be WAY too simple, but if I were to be comparing this to a modern day fps or rpg this would be a brilliant game. I would also compare it to system shock 2, but I never played that(it's illegal to not have played it, I know). This game is a fantastic blend of rpg and fps. The game should only take about 20 hours to beat, quite short for a rpg. But it's game mechanics and game play are brilliant, I just wish that it would be a little more challenging.
    One thing that I don't like about this game is that its theme is very dark and gloomy. Although it really fit the game well, it gets VERY sickening and gloomy. It took me a long time to beat it because I got really sick of the gloomy underwater dark and depressing theme, so I took breaks from it that lasted for months. It isn't really the developer's fault, they did a really good job of creating the theme. It is just very annoying or rather sickening after a while. I would give it an eight but I think the game is just made to be like that and it gave me a wonderful experience(no I don't do drugs).
    The game also have a really weird scare factor. The game-play itself isn't that scary, but the soundtrack and audio made it seem scary as shirt. It's not really the jump out of your seat type scary, more of a daunting type and it never gets old.
    Overall it is a brilliant game, it just lacks a bit more of a challenge, and the theme was a bit annoying. Otherwise this game is brilliant(compared to other games of the same time). Also I forgot to mention that it had probably the BEST story of all of gaming!
  27. Oct 2, 2014
    Bioshock may just be one of my favourite games of all time. The game is dark, creepy, fun and challenging. Even not it's possibly one of the most interesting worlds gaming has ever come up with. The dark, fallen city of Rapture gives of that feeling of terror that only well made and immersive game worlds can bring you. The design of the city is beautifully crafted, with interestingBioshock may just be one of my favourite games of all time. The game is dark, creepy, fun and challenging. Even not it's possibly one of the most interesting worlds gaming has ever come up with. The dark, fallen city of Rapture gives of that feeling of terror that only well made and immersive game worlds can bring you. The design of the city is beautifully crafted, with interesting characters, ideas and a city that looks like an underwater New York, making the game even more chilling. Not only that, but the game is an extremly fun shooter. The weapons feel great, the crafting is fun, the enemies are interesting and the story surprising and engaging. This is a game you simply have to play to understand the simple joy of. Expand
  28. Oct 3, 2014
    I just want to say before I start my basic "Pros and cons" Review,I love the "Bioshock" games!

Pros:

Amazing game-play

Amazing story!!!

Amazing art!

kinda scary.

Super powers!

Cons:

It's a little bit Cliché'd

KHAAN

There is really nothing else bad about this game,It's worth a buy :D

So I give this game a : 9/10
  29. Oct 6, 2014
    This game really is one of a kind. It should 100% be above HL and HL2. Those awful games are only up there because they were made by Valve. BUT BIOSHOCK. Dear god, this is a masterpiece. 10/10 You gotta play it for the time of your life.
  30. Oct 14, 2014
    some people says this game is strange, creepy, and weird. but i don't think so, i think this game is unique cause the gameplay are really different from FPS game i ever play. most of this game is a puzzle, yea i say this because something in here is like puzzle like "go to here", "go to there", go to "blahblahblah" and many more. but im interesting in some stage in here, especially killsome people says this game is strange, creepy, and weird. but i don't think so, i think this game is unique cause the gameplay are really different from FPS game i ever play. most of this game is a puzzle, yea i say this because something in here is like puzzle like "go to here", "go to there", go to "blahblahblah" and many more. but im interesting in some stage in here, especially kill enemies with "HAND POWER!!". i want to give 10/10 in here but i think i can't because this game is Awesome but not really outstanding game i think Expand
  31. Nov 18, 2014
    Brilliant. The only thing keeping it from a "10" for me was the mediocre third act. Had they found a way to end it after the "big" reveal in act two, I would have left feeling like I'd just played a masterpiece of storytelling, character, dialogue and haunting visuals. As it is, it's a near masterpiece.
  32. Nov 20, 2014
    Bioshock's dark but beautiful world of Rapture creates a believable environment just a step outside of possibility.
    The story, characters, action and music weave together to create an unforgettable piece
  33. Nov 21, 2014
    I played this game back when it was first released and I was blown away. I hadn't played anything like it. I found it to be completely original and very engaging. Great story and cool gameplay mechanics. Just an all-around wonderful title.
  34. DME
    Nov 5, 2012
    BioShock is one of the greatest single-player games I've ever experienced. It's not quite as good as Half-Life 2, but it's up there. I played BioShock with a wired Xbox 360 controller so I can't comment on the PC controls, which many reviewers have complained about. The game has a few annoyances, though. The lip-syncing for the Little Sisters is atrocious. The actions of refilling EVEBioShock is one of the greatest single-player games I've ever experienced. It's not quite as good as Half-Life 2, but it's up there. I played BioShock with a wired Xbox 360 controller so I can't comment on the PC controls, which many reviewers have complained about. The game has a few annoyances, though. The lip-syncing for the Little Sisters is atrocious. The actions of refilling EVE and reloading weapons both use the same key, which may cause you to randomly throw away precious EVE when you meant to reload. Death doesn't punish you, because damage dealt to enemies remains persistent between lives. And the last annoyance I have with BioShock is how the game likes to screw everything up when you try to minimize it or switch windows while it's running on your computer. Apart from those four problems, BioShock is very engrossing. Great narrative and voice-acting, great level-design, varied gameplay, and awesome atmosphere. I even liked how the game kept ammunition and supplies very scarce. It forces you to conserve what you have and think before you act. All-in-all, I highly recommend BioShock, Expand
  35. Sep 27, 2012
    Its now 2012 and i still haven't played a game with an original story and atmosphere like this. The opening scenes of Bioshock, where you crash and discover Rapture, are still one of my favorites in any game or film.
  36. Sep 30, 2010
    Omgosh I totally loved playing this game!! The story was very in depth and it really made you want more and more so i felt like it was hard to put down. The guns were alot of fun and very creative. The gameplay was very smooth. It had a great story to it. The ending of the game can change on how you play it the game. The characters of the game had fun personalities, even the enemies wereOmgosh I totally loved playing this game!! The story was very in depth and it really made you want more and more so i felt like it was hard to put down. The guns were alot of fun and very creative. The gameplay was very smooth. It had a great story to it. The ending of the game can change on how you play it the game. The characters of the game had fun personalities, even the enemies were just fun to listen to. The music in game just brought you into the action. I loved hearing the old time music in the back ground in alot of places. It had a unique feel to it. It's one of those games you have to play twice to full understand everything, its like a movie and you get to this one part in the movie and then it all makes sense. It is a great game! It is a must have for any first person shooter fan! Expand
  37. Jul 31, 2011
    The game was good, nothing amazingly special as the critic scores indicate but good. The graphics are great, the game itself is very unique compared to other fps's and mixes rpg elements into the gameplay allowing one to upgrade ones weapons and powers although the game feels repetitive at times, the game also has 3 endings which is unusual for a Fps , the story in my opinion was averageThe game was good, nothing amazingly special as the critic scores indicate but good. The graphics are great, the game itself is very unique compared to other fps's and mixes rpg elements into the gameplay allowing one to upgrade ones weapons and powers although the game feels repetitive at times, the game also has 3 endings which is unusual for a Fps , the story in my opinion was average and not that great and was told basically just through radio and old tapes this is not a bad thing, its just that it shouldn't have just been told this way as it was not very difficult to miss out on hearing important information, i believe they should have used bit more cinematics and cut scenes to tell the story, the main part of the story i enjoyed was the actual ending based on how many little sisters you save. I liked the idea of having the setting underwater but gets very tedious and boring when you reach the half way point in the game as there is little variation and one sometimes forgets one is underwater. Pros: Unique, long, great graphics, good ending. Cons: Repetitive setting as well as gameplay at times, story wasn't told clearly enough. 8.4/10. Expand
  38. Oct 16, 2010
    Odna iz samyh atmosfernyh igr v kotoruyu mne prishlos' poigrat'. Original'nyi stil', vyverennyi do melochei. Kak shuter igra ves'ma neploha, osobenno za schet plazmidov - mnogie bitvy bylo bol'shoe udovol'stvie pereigryvat' vnov'. Prohodil na samom vysokom urovne slojnosti, chto kuda interesnee, chem na standartnom (chto nablyudaetsya prakticheski vo vseh sovremennyh igrah).
  39. Nov 5, 2010
    Total immersion in this game, with a "steam punk american sixties" atmosphere that you can compare to Fallout.
    A fps with some original ideas and a scary/humorous atmosphere. Hack hellicobots, kill the little sister or get killed by Big daddy, upgrade your genes, shoot the nurses and try to stay sane in mind! a must have game. ho and beware the leakage!
  40. Dec 22, 2010
    Though the game play was great, the story is by far it's strong point. It is by far the best story i have experienced in a video game. Fairly decent sized campaign and a huge amount of fun regardless. This game certainly deserves its rating. A must play for anyone who likes video games.
  41. Dec 26, 2010
    A great game, though the pacing is crazy fast and you never really "get a break" for the longest time. Everyone that played it on a console thinks its the best thing ever, though you'll be thoroughly unimpressed if you've played pc games for years (especially System Shock 2 since this is just a dumbed down version that was made way too easy).
  42. Jan 2, 2011
    The game is very well done with much potential. And 2K did A great job putting it to the max of it's potential. The only fact that made me give it an 8 is that feels the same as any other shooter. It doesn't feel different. And way too easy. I do recommend it though for just a relaxing easy game, with a great twist!
  43. Nov 4, 2011
    Bioshock may not live up to system shock 2, but it's still a great game. my problem with this game is it tries to combine shooter gameplay and RPG elements, but did not do a good job on either side. In a intense shooter you expect to be able to aim for a critical shot, and for rpg elements, you expect something that is truly your own play style. The shooter mechanics in bioshock isBioshock may not live up to system shock 2, but it's still a great game. my problem with this game is it tries to combine shooter gameplay and RPG elements, but did not do a good job on either side. In a intense shooter you expect to be able to aim for a critical shot, and for rpg elements, you expect something that is truly your own play style. The shooter mechanics in bioshock is average. There are no covers, no sniper rifles. All you do just go straight to shoot bullets. There are a couple of powers (Plasmids) that you can use, but only 2~3 of them are actually useful. Comparing to system shock 2 which has a very solid RPG mechanics with minor shooter gameplay, this one feels a little bit cheap. Although the twisted story is somewhat impressive, the two moral paths in this game just does not make any sense (harvesting one little sister suddenly makes me evil?). The only aspect that levitates this game from good to great is the incredible atmosphere. overall, it's a 8 out 10, worth playing through once. Expand
  44. Jan 11, 2011
    I see why this game won game of the year. It is full of original content and innovative ideas I'd never seen anywhere else. Also, I love how they invented objectivism. Also little sisters are hot.
  45. Oct 12, 2011
    One of the best games ever. The music, the atmosphere and the story were all AAA. Unfortunately. since then the series got hi jacked. BS2 was awful and had that terrible FOV problem that xbox games have to have to cover the weaknesses in the processing. I still love this game even today. Just read the Rapture novel in fact so I am playing through it one more time. (something I rarelyOne of the best games ever. The music, the atmosphere and the story were all AAA. Unfortunately. since then the series got hi jacked. BS2 was awful and had that terrible FOV problem that xbox games have to have to cover the weaknesses in the processing. I still love this game even today. Just read the Rapture novel in fact so I am playing through it one more time. (something I rarely do) Still love the brilliant dialogue and the way the cut scene moments actually work within the game, and dont cover the lack of depth and immersion AKA (The witcher 2 etc etc) but add to it. Absolutely brilliant. Expand
  46. Feb 2, 2011
    Favorite game of all time.

BioShock has one of if not the best story-lines in a game. The steampunk, 1930's are deco style of the city was amazing. All the political undertones from the story and characters made it really interesting. I recommend buying it and playing through it for people who haven't. Play through it more than once and take your time as you go through the game and take
    Favorite game of all time.

I recommend buying it and playing through it for people who haven't. Play through it more than once and take your time as you go through the game and take in the story.
  47. May 18, 2014
    Bioshock is just a classic that every gamer should play. Yes it's an fps, altough different from all the others. And it goes beyond genres because its strong points are the plot , the beautiful world where it is set, the scary and dark moments you will live playing it. It's a classic.
  48. Mar 14, 2011
    Another fine game I have played, with the concept of an underwater city filled with splicers, big daddies, and many other dangerous things. The gameplay is alright, the style is amazing, the characters are cool, the storyline is great, and the non-Alantis underwater city concept is awesome (to me at least). A definite play for your PC or gaming system (except the Wii).
  49. Dec 10, 2011
    Absolutely love this game, getting ready to play it again for nostalgic reasons. I'd give it a solid 9 but wanted to offset some of the more intelligent comments. This game is meant to be an experience - not something for those trying to nitpick at asinine things here and there. For those who had issues with the PC version I empathize with you...not sure what the issues were since I hadAbsolutely love this game, getting ready to play it again for nostalgic reasons. I'd give it a solid 9 but wanted to offset some of the more intelligent comments. This game is meant to be an experience - not something for those trying to nitpick at asinine things here and there. For those who had issues with the PC version I empathize with you...not sure what the issues were since I had none :-( but am also fairly adept at fixing problems in games when they arise ....anyway if you have never played this game and are wanting an unforgettable experience - this is it...for those who like to nitpick at games and think you have an insight into everything...please just skip it and save us your laughable comments on these review threads. Expand
  50. Apr 10, 2011
    This is an experience I could really recommend to anyone I know. When I bought it, I didn't know what to expect, and that by itself was kind of thrilling. As I played through I found myself completely submersed in a world created underwater. The ambiance in the game is perfect from the music, to the late 40's style, Rapture is really something to behold. The story that drives the game isThis is an experience I could really recommend to anyone I know. When I bought it, I didn't know what to expect, and that by itself was kind of thrilling. As I played through I found myself completely submersed in a world created underwater. The ambiance in the game is perfect from the music, to the late 40's style, Rapture is really something to behold. The story that drives the game is as cinematic and complex (in a good way) as anything I have ever played. I have played through at least 4 or 5 times, all trying different ways of going about situations in the game. Also, the mechanics in the game are unique and extremely rewarding, whether you be freezing enemies with ice, are burning them to a crisp with fire, plasmids add another layer of "creativity," to what was an already astounding experience. I can't tell you enough about this game, and it would really be in your best interest to pick this game up, and see why BioShock made gaming history! Expand
  51. Apr 6, 2011
    A fun game, but a little on the short side. Managed to scare me (and people watching me play) several times! Visually beautiful, and the sound track was great too.
  52. Apr 20, 2011
    Very good game, a fascinating environment and many chilling moment throughout the game. There are many funny things gamer could do in the game, especially with the plasmids. combat system works well, too. Nevertheless, the sound in the game (the gunfire, the noise, the voice...) is just mediocre. But this little issue cannot reduce the value of the game. An awesome game that every gamersVery good game, a fascinating environment and many chilling moment throughout the game. There are many funny things gamer could do in the game, especially with the plasmids. combat system works well, too. Nevertheless, the sound in the game (the gunfire, the noise, the voice...) is just mediocre. But this little issue cannot reduce the value of the game. An awesome game that every gamers should play! Expand
  53. Jun 21, 2011
    How do you write a review for a title close to being the best video game ever made? It's soundtrack is a mixture of classical and 40's - 50's era contemporary music which both combine to give Bioshock a wondrous sense of contradiction in it's atmosphere, what with it's crumbling, leaky architecture and dramatic lighting, yet and mellow and angelic orchestral sounds backing the resonanceHow do you write a review for a title close to being the best video game ever made? It's soundtrack is a mixture of classical and 40's - 50's era contemporary music which both combine to give Bioshock a wondrous sense of contradiction in it's atmosphere, what with it's crumbling, leaky architecture and dramatic lighting, yet and mellow and angelic orchestral sounds backing the resonance of sheer destroyed beauty laying before as you wander through the world intrepidly. This dual atmosphere is a constant throughout the entire game, which is a good thing, as it keeps itself consistent, unlike other titles i could name which tried something similar but came up short, thus breaking the illusion that it had. The story is nothing short of brilliant, with your entire life being revealed before you to be none other then the artificial workings of someone else, breaking the characters and your own perceptions of what you really knew. Voice acting is also top notch, with slick accents that are spot on, mature sounding voices, voices which sound real and have some authenticity to their tone and behaviour, and fit the characters their assigned to. You may be thinking "Well it seems like the sound and story are the most effective parts of it", but you'd be wrong. The gameplay sacrifices nothing as there is rather deep customization to skills and powers you can gain. The ways you can go about and manipulate the environments and enemies can only be described as vast and dynamic, would you prefer to sneak past a foe or clobber them over the head with a wrench? Carelessly walk into an open area or set traps with your weapons/powers in some doorways or on the floor before continueing to search the area? Hack a sentry to help you in a fight with multiple enemies or maybe use a power to make one of them fight for you? The possibilities and combinations are nearly endless and it only gets even better when i say that it's all dynamic. That's right, there are very few scripted enemy paths or actions compared to the huge amount that is unscripted. The developers managed to create a living, breathing, fully organic world that feels like it could be real and that you're some nameless joe exploring what was once a glorious city that is decaying because of the very foundation of it's demeanor. This is a revolutionary game which is worthy of the title of "Art" in the highest sense of the term. Expand
  54. May 25, 2012
    I'll begin by saying that BioShock in general is a very nice FPS game. It starts off relatively slow and mediocre, but after first few areas the experience becomes rich as you acquire a lot of weapons and special powers. BioShock definitely has some distinct strengths and a handful of weaknesses too. The strengths. It has a very unique graphics style, with bright colours, which give lifeI'll begin by saying that BioShock in general is a very nice FPS game. It starts off relatively slow and mediocre, but after first few areas the experience becomes rich as you acquire a lot of weapons and special powers. BioShock definitely has some distinct strengths and a handful of weaknesses too. The strengths. It has a very unique graphics style, with bright colours, which give life to the characters. As mentioned already, there are a lot of cool and different special powers, buffs, and types of ammo which add loads of variation to combat, hence keeping it fun and fresh for the most part. The hacking mini-game is also immensely fun. This is perhaps the best hacking mini-game I have ever had to play, because I almost never got bored of it. The game also has an interesting backstory with some memorable characters and quotes. Heck, everything in the game has personality, even the vending machines. However, despite the good story, the storytelling itself is a bit average, and this brings me to the weaknesses. The reason I say the storytelling is average is because most of the story you uncover by listening to various audio tapes instead of experiencing the story as you go along. Another minor weakness is that I felt the health and EVE bars were a bit too small (even with upgrades). Whenever I fought 2 or more enemies, or one strong enemy, I literally had to keep pressing the medkit button to keep healing myself repeatedly, which takes away from the fun of combat. Likewise for the EVE bar as well. After a couple of shots of your special powers, your character had to inject himself with more EVE. And the last weakness I'll mention is that the level design in certain areas was kind of subpar. The colours and the environments are nice, but it's the structure itself that I have an issue with. Like some areas looked too repetitive whichever way you went (Arcadia anyone?) and also some other areas were a bit too big and confusing (Fort Frolic anyone?). And the map wasn't particularly too helpful when navigating through multiple floors. So, despite the few weaknesses the game has, I think its strengths by far outweigh them, because it generally manages to deliver the fun factor (although I find the average critic score to be a tad too high). Expand
  55. Jun 27, 2011
    Shortly before the release of Bioshock I saw a teaser video of the introduction to Rapture commercial by Andrew Ryan in the start of the game, I hadnt seen any of the game play footage yet but it instantly caught my attention that the game was going to be well written but more importantly that it would featured some actual substance in the story. Every time I have played through Bioshock IShortly before the release of Bioshock I saw a teaser video of the introduction to Rapture commercial by Andrew Ryan in the start of the game, I hadnt seen any of the game play footage yet but it instantly caught my attention that the game was going to be well written but more importantly that it would featured some actual substance in the story. Every time I have played through Bioshock I have taken something different from the story and it has since made me think differently to politics and society. To those who have played Bioshock I would highly recommend watching some interviews with Ayn Rand on Youtube. Although I certainly dont agree with the woman, she make some interesting thoughts and gives us something to think about after the game. I never found the game play to be as bad and many claim, although I did play it on a good PC and had the freedom a mouse. The story is also well integrated into the game play from looting your way through Rapture and becoming the parasite that Ryan claims. While playing I did find myself addicted to finding plasmids and further becoming apart of the drug addition themes of the fall of Rapture. The simple fact of Bioshocks story containing snippets of philosophy means that its miles ahead of the dumbass mediocre storylines that makes up most of FPS games in the industry. Atmosphere, sound, and setting are nothing short of brilliant. The art deco is also original for video games. The 3rd act of the game sags, unfortunately the story feels rushed and becomes uninteresting. The last boss was incredibly lame and the ending cinematic I felt was a joke. Its actually disappointing that 2K felt they needed to add that unneeded twist rather then simply depending on what was interesting to begin with. The Art, design, sound, philosophical elements and story integration, and RPG elements in the game play make Bioshock a game that is ahead of its time. The 3rd act of the game is the only set back to it becoming a true master piece. Bioshock is a gem of the 7th generation of videos games. Expand
  56. Jan 1, 2012
    I played the best games (like Age of Empire, Half-Life, Red Alert, Call of Duty, Civilizion III...) and i think that this videogames merits to stay on this podium!
  57. Dec 6, 2012
    Until this day, this game remains as my all-time favorite. I've yet to play a game with as much good gameplay, atmosphere and genius writing. There are decent games, there are good games, there are great games, there are *excellent* games and there's games like BioShock that sit up top. I can't find the words to explain how well done the story and characters are. Using plasmids/powers asUntil this day, this game remains as my all-time favorite. I've yet to play a game with as much good gameplay, atmosphere and genius writing. There are decent games, there are good games, there are great games, there are *excellent* games and there's games like BioShock that sit up top. I can't find the words to explain how well done the story and characters are. Using plasmids/powers as well as ammo-changeable guns is gameplay heaven. The hacking mini-game is fun, but can get old after a while. Now onto the negatives... The graphics are decent, but look very low-res in some parts of the game, including particle effects and water. The physics are not so good, as it's unrealistic and has low fps. The animations can be iffy here and there. Newer PC's have a very high chance of messing with the game - mouse acceleration issues, settings that don't stay consistent, likelihood of freezing and crashing, etc. Overall, this game is one of a kind. The sequel isn't as good, but still enjoyable. Expand
  58. Jul 3, 2011
    Really good game! The graphics are amazing and I loved the gameplay, anyone who enjoys FPS games should play it. The characters are unique and challenging. Can't wait to get into Bioshock 2.
  59. Jul 10, 2011
    Excellent graphics, the world/level design is breathtaking, and storyline is engaging, urging you on for more to find out what happened to all those characters, the city, even though much of exposition came from audio recordings littered throughout the world. Plasmids allow for some interesting interactions with the surrounding (disabling security systems, destroying traps, melting ice,Excellent graphics, the world/level design is breathtaking, and storyline is engaging, urging you on for more to find out what happened to all those characters, the city, even though much of exposition came from audio recordings littered throughout the world. Plasmids allow for some interesting interactions with the surrounding (disabling security systems, destroying traps, melting ice, picking up things via force-pull-like ability) although a select few does seem significantly more useful than the others. The enemy exhibits some interesting behaviour (jumping into the water to get rid of fire, rushing to heal themselves, teleporting) but generally take you straight-on, although they do get tougher as the game progresses, there's not a great variety in combat. Weapons are great fun. The moral choices are relatively simplistic. Tonics are also a bit unbalanced in the sense that some are obviously more useful than the others but does add variety to the gameplay. Hacking can get a bit repetitive (feels like you play pipe-dream every 10 minutes or so) although it was interesting at first. All in all, I really liked the game and won't hesitate to recommend this to others (not sure why there are 168 negative reviews). Expand
  60. Jun 13, 2012
    BioShock is a really good game, but how it got a 9.6 is beyond me. The game looks great and plays decent, however it housed a lackluster story line which offered very little to the "survival horror" aspect that the game was attempting to accomplish. Now, I'm not saying that it was a bad title, in fact it's far from that, because it still managed to keep my attention. I'm merely questioningBioShock is a really good game, but how it got a 9.6 is beyond me. The game looks great and plays decent, however it housed a lackluster story line which offered very little to the "survival horror" aspect that the game was attempting to accomplish. Now, I'm not saying that it was a bad title, in fact it's far from that, because it still managed to keep my attention. I'm merely questioning the high metascore the game received. Expand
  61. Jul 27, 2011
    BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED. Every game played since has had to live up to its standards. Amazing ending, mind-blowing plot-twists, spectacular artwork. Creative gameplay that goes above and beyond traditional FPS. astounding.
  62. Sep 28, 2011
    A one of a kind FPS game. Stable, great graphics and sound and a very creative and interesting story and features. A few slow points especially under water where you cannot really do anything.
  63. Oct 7, 2011
    Spectacular game. One of the best game storylines in ever, extremely fun gameplay, really good dialog, and while it's not entirely horror, it definitely sent some chills down my spine. It's also really creative, little sister & big daddies, the plasmeds, all of it. It's a truly perfect game.
  64. Nov 10, 2011
    Thoroughly enjoyed this game for the atmosphere and story - took me a while to get my controls happy before I started playing (like all PC FPS games) but once I was in I was hooked. If you enjoyed Half Life 1 I would say this is essential playing.

Easily on my top 10 games of all time!
  65. Dec 4, 2011
    Great game which you could specify as a haunted house shooter. Graphics are great, story is entertaining with nice plot twists. The game play is challenging. Normally I don't play linear games multiple times but with this one I couldn't resist. Perfect.
  66. Nov 14, 2011
    Mesmerizing background setting and sophisticating story make Bioshock not only a game, but also great movie and novel. The combat system is hell lot of fun once you are used to it, and it will become one of the best "shooting" experience ever. The art style is distinguish and actually, astonishing, that the developer really do want to put something different on the market for people toMesmerizing background setting and sophisticating story make Bioshock not only a game, but also great movie and novel. The combat system is hell lot of fun once you are used to it, and it will become one of the best "shooting" experience ever. The art style is distinguish and actually, astonishing, that the developer really do want to put something different on the market for people to choose, and I love that decision.

Game of the Year. Period.
  67. Jun 14, 2014
    Game: Bioshock
    Genre: First Person Shooting - Horror
    Developer: 2K Games System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 85/100 Value Score: 8.5/10 • Story: 10/10 • Characters: 8/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 8/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 6/10 • Length: 8/10 • Replay Value: 6/10 • Player Value: 9/10 Pros +Great story and narration between the characters - a lot of back story
    Game: Bioshock

• Music: 6/10
    • Length: 8/10
    • Replay Value: 6/10
    • Player Value: 9/10

Pros
    +Great story and narration between the characters - a lot of back story to fill you with the lore.
    +Great atmosphere that will bring you both awe and shock
    +Gameplay mechanics are great, unique and gives you a variety of skills and abilities for a FPS genre game
    +Multiple Endings based on a morale decision you make within the game

Cons
    -Music is forgettable or not even noticeable majority of the game
    -Visuals at certain points in the game look like they are from the 6th gen rather than the 7th gen which Bioshock is from.
    -Not much replay value
  68. Feb 18, 2012
    This game is original and keeps me interested in every aspect of it's madness.
    The graphics are still great in 2012.... and gameplay is bar none very good.
    No glitches and no horrible hardware conflicts.
    Lots of blood and tonnes of mad action.
    Bioshock 2 delivers the same enjoyment so all i can say is get it now!!
  69. Mar 7, 2012
    I had just gotten around to playing it for the first time, and I have to say, the hype was right! It has a creepy atmosphere, awesome story, and great gameplay. It's a must play.
  70. Nov 27, 2011
    Sophisticated story, original gameplay, great visuals. Any way I see it, this game is a masterpiece. The diversity of weapons and powers lets you be creative on the way of killing your fellow crazy enemy. The story is wonderful and intelligent, but it's sometimes hard to hear because of always being talked on a radio, even during a fighting scene with a lot of noise. The combats againstSophisticated story, original gameplay, great visuals. Any way I see it, this game is a masterpiece. The diversity of weapons and powers lets you be creative on the way of killing your fellow crazy enemy. The story is wonderful and intelligent, but it's sometimes hard to hear because of always being talked on a radio, even during a fighting scene with a lot of noise. The combats against the big daddies are very impressive, but you get used to it after a little bit. It always has this great "creepy" feeling without being straight out scary, which gives the game a nice charm. Anyways, for what it is, this game is probably one of the greatest games ever made. Expand
  71. Dec 8, 2011
    best game, amazing mood of the underwater city, many weapons with different bullets, smart enemies (mostly) and the icon - the the big daddy, every fps fan should play this game cause it's wotrh every hour spend with it
  72. Dec 26, 2011
    This game is pretty good with alot of detail and a pretty good story line. The graphics are also pretty decent as well as the effects. I like how you can make a lot of different choices in what you want to do or where to go or how to play. The only reason I knock off one point is because it really can be very tough trying to kill some characters and you die so many times because you haveThis game is pretty good with alot of detail and a pretty good story line. The graphics are also pretty decent as well as the effects. I like how you can make a lot of different choices in what you want to do or where to go or how to play. The only reason I knock off one point is because it really can be very tough trying to kill some characters and you die so many times because you have to approach very big characters (aka big daddy and little sister) that have more life and power than you or any of your weapons. But its not bad enough to stop playing the game. Expand
  73. Dec 14, 2011
    Standing proudly atop my top 5 list, Bioshock is a gem of a game that is as exciting on the surface as it is deep within. In it, you play Jack, the silent protagonist whose sole chance of survival in the underwater world rests in the hands of a friendly voice over a shortwave radio. With nowhere to go and no knowledge of what lies within, you are forcibly plunged into the deep, dark cityStanding proudly atop my top 5 list, Bioshock is a gem of a game that is as exciting on the surface as it is deep within. In it, you play Jack, the silent protagonist whose sole chance of survival in the underwater world rests in the hands of a friendly voice over a shortwave radio. With nowhere to go and no knowledge of what lies within, you are forcibly plunged into the deep, dark city of Rapture, where mystery and controversy plague every bloody hall. Prominently displayed throughout the game is the motif of objectivism, a philosophical idea popularized by author Ayn Rand. Simply put, it is the belief that putting oneself before others--and therefore focusing on honing your own talents--is inherently good. Bioshock deals with more social and philosophical issues than can be explained in a simple review, and must be experienced firsthand to garner the full effect. It is amazing in every right (except for the combat system, which could use a bit of work), and is more than deserving of its great reviews. The greatest part about it--for me, at least--was not actually playing the game, but afterwards, when I was digging through the facts of Bioshock online and discovering the untold truths that were hidden so cleverly throughout the story. It is a great game that lasted much longer than I expected (especially for such a linear shooter) and, oddly enough, it still manages to lure me back to the city of Rapture from time to time. Expand
  74. Jun 16, 2012
    I feel as this game was as complete as it could be, amazing graphics, good sound, nice particle effects and amazing ideas behind all of this. The setting is well made and the story is good at the beginning and great when you get to a big plot twist and the ending. Some people say this game is scary however the suspense and horror wears off as you progress through the game maybe because youI feel as this game was as complete as it could be, amazing graphics, good sound, nice particle effects and amazing ideas behind all of this. The setting is well made and the story is good at the beginning and great when you get to a big plot twist and the ending. Some people say this game is scary however the suspense and horror wears off as you progress through the game maybe because you start getting used to the setting and you know what to expect. The shooting is good also but it could be better and I found ammo to be scarce which made the situation more complicated. Overall I do recommend it since there is nothing to dislike apart from some tiny flaws here and there. Expand
  75. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is simply one of the greatest ever made. The game play is a new and exciting twist on the old FPS style of game. The story is deep and compelling with twists and turns that you never see coming. I love the basis on the classic Ayn Rand novel. Any of the negative reviews i have read are from people who did not seem to really give it a chance and who did not play enough to get aThis game is simply one of the greatest ever made. The game play is a new and exciting twist on the old FPS style of game. The story is deep and compelling with twists and turns that you never see coming. I love the basis on the classic Ayn Rand novel. Any of the negative reviews i have read are from people who did not seem to really give it a chance and who did not play enough to get a real understanding of the FANTASTICALLY written story. If you give this game a chance and play it through to the end then i give you my word it will be worth it. Expand
  76. Jul 21, 2014
    A decent FPS game with RPG and stealth elements that tells a decent story loaded with twists and turns with multiple endings depicting a one mans effort to create a wonderful utopia in an underwater city called Rapture yet tragically ending in a dystopian retro/Diesel punk nightmare apart from its well told story let down sightly by its bullet spongy enemeies FPS RPG elements are lackingA decent FPS game with RPG and stealth elements that tells a decent story loaded with twists and turns with multiple endings depicting a one mans effort to create a wonderful utopia in an underwater city called Rapture yet tragically ending in a dystopian retro/Diesel punk nightmare apart from its well told story let down sightly by its bullet spongy enemeies FPS RPG elements are lacking and linear gameplay. Expand
  77. Jan 1, 2012
    The best fps game in the last year. Nice graphics, fantastic gameplay, amazing story and a deep ocean city ready for exploration. This is how must be a modern fps game.
  78. Jan 6, 2012
    This is one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played. The game is pretty scary to me, being isolated in this underground city filled with effed up mutant people that are just effed. :( . I couldn't reach the end because the isolation took over and the gameplay just didn't lick with me. It's an 8 for its atmosphere,
  79. Aug 29, 2012
    i am gay i am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi ami am gay i am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gayi am gay Expand
  80. May 4, 2012
    I have heard a lot of good things about this game, and I have finally finished it. Truth is, the game is really good. Amazingly good. The voice acting is very convincing, actually the storytelling is good because of the convincing voice acting. The story has a little twist, and it is actually deeper than I expected it to be. This is one of the game you would never forget after playing.
  81. Dec 2, 2014
    Bioshock is only a single flaw away from being an absolute masterpiece.

Bioshock has an amazing story with an outstanding setting. The voice acting is phenomenal, the controls are fluid, and the gameplay is extremely fun. There is only one flaw that keeps this game from being flawless: the difficulty. No matter what difficulty you play on, you'll never have any trouble beating the
    Bioshock is only a single flaw away from being an absolute masterpiece.

No matter what difficulty you play on, you'll never have any trouble beating the game. No matter how many times you get your ass kicked by a splicer, or how many times a big daddy smashes your skull with his over-sized boots, you'll always respawn just seconds after you die with little penalty. This somewhat feels like the game is holding your hand all the way through. You can turn off the Vita-chambers so this doesn't happen, but you can still save/load the game at any point... which kinda cancels out the point of turning them off in the first place.

The difficulty is not what makes this game amazing, it's the story, the atmosphere, the voice acting, the creepiness, they mystery, the suspense... the list goes on. I can't go too much into detail about it however, because it's not something I can explain. You have to play the game yourself to understand.

Bioshock is a fantastic game, and my favorite one to this day. It's a shame that it's buried under tons of other games people hold above it. But, I guess under the sea, things are different. (That was a pun.)
  82. Nov 22, 2012
    What an atmosphere! What a story! What a gameplay!

A perfect first-person shooter with role-playing elements. I can't stop myself by searching all over the map. Details, items, upgrades etc. Everything is perfect!
  83. Jan 21, 2012
    The best game I've ever played that wasn't a game made by Bethesda. I just loved the game and the storyline. The only thing I didn't like was that you rarely meet anyone that doesn't want to kill you, I would like the occasional person that says, "Hello," and doesn't try and stab you in the back. The whole background story is interesting to hear too. When I first heard of this game and sawThe best game I've ever played that wasn't a game made by Bethesda. I just loved the game and the storyline. The only thing I didn't like was that you rarely meet anyone that doesn't want to kill you, I would like the occasional person that says, "Hello," and doesn't try and stab you in the back. The whole background story is interesting to hear too. When I first heard of this game and saw the trailer, I thought it was about a pedo trying to kidnap little kids in a wierd city. But once my friend told me that I had to play it and sent me a gameplay video, I knew I would be hooked. And I was, it turned out to be a great game and loved it. So, if your looking for a good game that is linear and isn't an RPG, then you have to play this game. Expand
  84. Mar 10, 2012
    This game is pretty neat.
    I found it a bit short, but perhaps I'm just to used to RPG's. Which bring me to another point: this game is labeled as an action RPG, but I saw no RPG elements in it. I would consider it action/thriller. It's got some creepy moments too.
    This game is pretty neat.

The story is very different from the norm, and the graphics are pretty nice... well the enemies and environment are - for some reason, anytime they show anything of your character he doesn't look so great.

anyways I give a 9... which is hard to get from me.
  85. Apr 9, 2012
    Interesting premise and a good story. You really do feel immersed in a strange world set in the 50's. Voice acting, atmosphere and enviroments are all done with detail and care. Puzzles are interesting, all the little extras are great. Towards the end though, game lost a bit of charm for me and the final boss was little dissapointing. And even with all the different options given to theInteresting premise and a good story. You really do feel immersed in a strange world set in the 50's. Voice acting, atmosphere and enviroments are all done with detail and care. Puzzles are interesting, all the little extras are great. Towards the end though, game lost a bit of charm for me and the final boss was little dissapointing. And even with all the different options given to the player, I still can't bring myself to play the game again. Could be just me... Expand
  86. Mar 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. From a new bioshock player's perspective, this game was fantastic. The art direction was thrilling as the combat was fun, but that's not what makes this game stand out most. A strong story induces an injection of personality into the game's otherwise overused FPS mechanics. The use of vigors and and sky hooks makes combat fast and visceral. Even a bit farther combat is made even better through the use of rifts, basically serially usable resources at the players command. Aside from the combat and back to the story, I loved the relationship between Elizabeth and DeWitt. It changes the tone of the entire game, as your not only concerned about your opinion, but Elizabeth's as well and it creates a nice dynamic.

Some things I didn't like were rather minute compared to the overall picture. For example, although they develop Elizabeth's character throughout the story, it all revolves around death and killing. There isn't a chance to relax and explore the beautiful city of columbia, which is a really big missed opportunity. It also leaves a side of the characters undeveloped. I know how serious Elizabeth and DeWitt can be but what do they like to do with their free time. Reading books can't be Elizabeth's only hobby. Aside for the small issue above, what really annoyed me was the ending. It left alot in the air for the sake of itself. In the end you find that Elizabeth is really your daughter anna and that she must kill you to prevent comstock. This isn't annoying, the annoying part is the missed father daughter moment before elizabeth kills DeWitt. You just spent all this time freeing this girl, building a relationship, you find out your father/daughter, and she kills DeWitt without even a "I love you dad" or anything even similar. That is extremely irksome.
  87. Apr 2, 2012
    The story is great, the gameplay is great, the weapons are great... Even though it's a game made in 2007, this game is better than many games of today. Note: I do NOT know why Steam has rated this as "Action, RPG", because this game is NOT an RPG! This game is a FPS! This game does NOT have XP, Guilds, or any other such bullsh*t that has an RPG.
  88. Apr 27, 2012
    Bioshock is the second best game. Kind of like Timeshift but under water with alot of powers! 10/10 HATER SHIELD ENABLE! THAT IS ALL!
  89. May 3, 2012
    I gave it a try and watched the story at the start, no amazingly new things compared to another games but, when u go in-game u will check this game experience is unique, and i dont feel gaving it a 10, cause yea, have cons, the boss was easy yes and maybe the shooting is kinda different to other fps, makes you feel learning a new way of play fps, but, ¿why this game isI gave it a try and watched the story at the start, no amazingly new things compared to another games but, when u go in-game u will check this game experience is unique, and i dont feel gaving it a 10, cause yea, have cons, the boss was easy yes and maybe the shooting is kinda different to other fps, makes you feel learning a new way of play fps, but, ¿why this game is unique? (and all games SHOULD be), you have to find it yourself!, just play the game u wont regret. I just can share with u my feeling during the entire game: intrigue. Expand
  90. Oct 7, 2012
    Bioshock is probably one of the greatest video-games I have ever played. The gameplay is amazing and combat has an incredible amount of variety. With one of dozen guns in one hand and one of dozen Plasmids in another, there is a multitude of ways to kill an enemy. Light it on fire and shoot it in the face, lay a trap, trick another enemy into attacking it, shooting it with lightning, theBioshock is probably one of the greatest video-games I have ever played. The gameplay is amazing and combat has an incredible amount of variety. With one of dozen guns in one hand and one of dozen Plasmids in another, there is a multitude of ways to kill an enemy. Light it on fire and shoot it in the face, lay a trap, trick another enemy into attacking it, shooting it with lightning, the list goes on and on. The plot drives you to continue playing the game, giving a critical examination of Ayn Rand's theory of Objectivism and Altruism. It take place in an underwater city created by Andrew Ryan, a man who wanted to create a Utopian individualistic society that has fallen into a civil war because most of the population has gone insane hyped up on ADAM, a "drug" of sorts that gives a human superpowers, similar to that of the Sith from star wars (lightning from hands) or The Last Airbender. .. Doesn't that sound epic.. while also being deep and philosophical. This game heavily influenced my politics and philosophy. An exciting piece of art. Expand
  91. Oct 2, 2012
    Bioshock is definitely one of the best games out there and really deserves to be played through at least once. An interesting and unique storyline, great setting and balanced game-play. One really good thing about the gameplay is that it's somewhat harder than the average game out on the market, thus giving the player a challenge every now and then when he runs out of ammo. I couldn'tBioshock is definitely one of the best games out there and really deserves to be played through at least once. An interesting and unique storyline, great setting and balanced game-play. One really good thing about the gameplay is that it's somewhat harder than the average game out on the market, thus giving the player a challenge every now and then when he runs out of ammo. I couldn't recommend this game enough to those who for some reason haven't played it yet, 9/10. Expand
  92. Jun 3, 2012
    Pros: Great story, very creative, surprises in every stage, great graphics. You also have to make moral choices that change your gameplay and storyline. Cons: no multiplayer, no arenas, no open world, linear story.
  93. Jun 5, 2013
    A pretty good game with some very nice gameplay. However it can get a bit boring at times. Luckily there's a pretty good story to keep the game interesting.
  94. Jun 7, 2012
    A simply awesome game: the story, the game play and, also 5 years after the release, the graphics. From the moment you see Rapture the hole game is just a big rush. All the steam punk element and this mystic atmosphere, the battles and all the diary entries. it is just a ingenious game.
  95. Jul 5, 2012
    This game stands out as one of the BEST experiences I have ever had not only in a game but in a story-telling experience overall. As a classic masterpiece of game design, it does not feel dated playing it years after its release. I've never played a game where my mind was so thoroughly and consistently blown, not only once but many, many times. Innovated character customization in aThis game stands out as one of the BEST experiences I have ever had not only in a game but in a story-telling experience overall. As a classic masterpiece of game design, it does not feel dated playing it years after its release. I've never played a game where my mind was so thoroughly and consistently blown, not only once but many, many times. Innovated character customization in a shooter without being bogged down with stat-mechanics. Intelligent and hectic AI. Brilliant voice acting and incredibly atmospheric environmental effects (in both audio and visuals. Water effects, am I right??). Great weapons and action on the level with the most high-level shooters in the history of gaming. I could go on and on. A perfect game and a must-play. Expand
  96. Dec 13, 2012
    This is definitely one of the best games I've ever played. Where it really shines is atmosphere: the graphics, audio, and detailed level design serve to really bring the story to life, fully immersing you in a wonderful and terrifying world. The story is excellent and the way it is told is intriguing and helps create a good pacing. The FPS elements are pretty average--nothing newThis is definitely one of the best games I've ever played. Where it really shines is atmosphere: the graphics, audio, and detailed level design serve to really bring the story to life, fully immersing you in a wonderful and terrifying world. The story is excellent and the way it is told is intriguing and helps create a good pacing. The FPS elements are pretty average--nothing new there--but when combined with the plasmid powers, weapon and power upgrades, security hacking, etc. make a very entertaining whole. Personally I found it very refreshing to play an FPS that actually had a unique atmosphere and a solid story, unlike the multitude of 'modern,' WWII, or space shooters. Expand
  97. Jan 18, 2013
    I love this game, Graphics 10, Sound 10, Gunplay 9, Story 10, Horror 9, ONE AWESOME **** GAME 10/10, i was so hyped for this game, and that Hype paid OF, I PLAYED THIS GAME FOR 20 DAYS STRAIGHT, JESUS CHRIST THANK U FOR THIS AMAZING GAME
  98. Aug 12, 2012
    An excellent game all around. The graphics, sound and environment are good considering its release date, the story and game mechanics are unique and fun. The only thing knocking it down from a 10 is my dislike of the FPS genera.
  99. Mar 4, 2013
    The atmosphere of this game is totally amazing. The sets are amazing and its just a creepy story. It is not a punishing game which I can appreciate. The story telling is well done and the voice acting is great. Its a bit of Jules Verne "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" with a twist of major insanity. This is a very DARK game in every sense of the word and has so much to offer if you canThe atmosphere of this game is totally amazing. The sets are amazing and its just a creepy story. It is not a punishing game which I can appreciate. The story telling is well done and the voice acting is great. Its a bit of Jules Verne "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" with a twist of major insanity. This is a very DARK game in every sense of the word and has so much to offer if you can get past to sort of revulsion to some of the subject matter. It is very gory and I am not fond of that but the art is deco and very authentically done. The weapons are interesting and there is a great variety and plasmids and gene splicing is a great mechanic for a steam punk and I do mean HEAVILY steam punk game. While not perfect, its a great game but still has a few bugs in it as of 2013. Well worth the price since it was free with my preorder of BioShock Infinite! Expand
  100. Aug 24, 2013
    Having played Bioshock Infinite before this one, I have to say, now I know why some Bioshock purists aren't too happy.

This game, during its time and up to now is an icon of outstanding FPS-RPG design. I like the upgradeable weapons, I like the well-done plasmids and other various RPG-like elements. I like the story, the way it's presented and the idea of harvesting/rescuing little mutated, sort-a-like undead little girls to give you powers at a moral cost. The game recycles a lot of enemies but it's fairly varied enough to keep the tension and excitement going. The Big Daddys are tough and brutal on the highest difficulty setting and I love it. I don't like the occasional crashes on my decent rig but it's tolerable and simply puts a small dimple on the overall experience. The atmosphere and environment are well-done. I don't like the seemingly weak guns but they work well with the right ammo--- again, a creative addition that we missed on Bioshock Infinite. Overall, Bioshock is a winner and should serve as a welcome "fine dining" departure from the "fast food" games we get these days. I really hope that future developers of this genre will play this game and set out on a quest to continue its revered legacy.

One can only wonder what happened to all the creative gunplay and RPG-like elements, because they are certainly nowhere to be found on Bioshock Infinite. And I miss them.

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.