8.3

1. Apr 13, 2014
    Great videogame! Smart plot. Unique shooter mechanic and visually inpressive. I love art-style and beatiful music. I see that people who created this put his souls in their work.
  2. Mar 30, 2014
    One the best games I've ever played. Atmosphere is perfect. Controls are a bit clunky compared to "Infinite" but I think it adds to the charm. The story is unraveled in an Oscar worthy fashion. This game is just another reason I think people should take gaming more seriously.
  3. Mar 30, 2014
    BioShock spoiler-free review:
    BioShock is an outstanding first person shooter that introduces world, characters and mechanics like any other.
    Of course the most talked and revolutionary thing BioShock does, is introducing the world as it's own character. Rapture is a dark, disturbing and forgotten underwater city that sucks you in, making you truly believe you're there. It also mantains
    posters, audio files and images of what the great city once was, making it a lot more inmersive. The story is extremely well written with deep, three-dimensional characters. However, I found myself rushing through the last 2 hours, just so I could get to the end credits after spending more than 15 hours in the game. Both sound and music are superb, creating an incredibly inmersive and suspenseful world. The mechanics/gameplay in this game are really good, and though the game encourages you not to engage in a battle with multiple oponents (cause you'll die), the A.I never encourages stealth, considering they spot with extreme ease. The plasmids in the game are very well integrated with the shooting mechanic. They bring an estrategic side to the combat, with the player thinking how to set traps and how to use in advantage in really tough fights. The graphics are great and they trully help with the inmersion to Rapture. There's a hacking mini-game that is really simple and well thought, but it gets old pretty easily, considering how much you use it. The Big Daddies. These guys really bring a challenge and satisfaction when defeated. Though the satisfaction doesn't last long, after you see a Little Sister (the ones they protect) crying for their Big Daddy. The little sisters carry ADAM, which you'll need to upgrade your plasmids, and you can either harvest them (you get more ADAM and they die) or save them (you'll get less ADAM and they come back to being little, normal girls). That decission changes a few plot points, but not too much.
    In the end, BioShock manages to step out of the box with deep characters, strong mechanics, reallistic sounds and graphics that will make you want to replay the game quite a few times.
    Average Score: 9.2
  4. Mar 16, 2014
    This is a masterpiece, gaming at it's finest. This is genuinely one of the few revolutionary games of all-time. The story is one of the best, the atmosphere and artistic direction are definitely top-notch. This is easily Irrationals best work. The characters are beautifully written and voice acted by some wonderful actors. This is everything that's good about gaming, wrapped in one single game.
  5. Feb 21, 2014
    Every aspect of this game worked in perfect unison. I was in total rapture all the time when experiencing what Bioshock had to offer in this dark and twisted adult themed game.
  6. Feb 14, 2014
    Bad shooting physics and bad story plot. A highly overrated game. It might was a good game in 2007 but in 2014 it is not satisfying. Only good thing in the game is the coolness of Big Daddy. Deserves at most 5 points.
  7. Feb 14, 2014
    This is one of the best games i ever played. Rapture will be on my memories for a long time. The best part of Bioshock is not the gameplay, it's the story.
  8. Feb 6, 2014
    1- Gameplay: The gameplay is monotonous and dull, the game is the definition of a generic tunnel shooter, hours upon hours of going through identical looking corridors and rooms killing identical enemies whose only purpose is to stand there waiting for you to kill them. Not even Doom 3 felt this repetitive.

2- Writing: This game has the most overrated story I've ever seen.
    First thing
    to mention is how horribly it's presented, there are no NPCs to interact with, you're just barraged with audio logs or one-way radio messages every ten meters, so you really don't care much about any of the characters or what's going on because you never see any of them.
    Second thing the writing is not engaging, the audio logs are disjointed and pretentious. They give off the stench of a writer thinking "Look at me I'm such a good writer". "Morality" in this game consists of either saving the children or killing the children (Oh no! Not the children!). It has a lame plot twist you see from a mile away, and it has the generic Chris Metzen villain whose only purpose is to taunt you over the radio every minute: "I will kill you now!", "You will never escape!", "I am too powerful!", and this lasts half the freakin game (until you defeat him in the generic boss battle of course).
    And then the endings, unimaginative as f*ck, either sunshine and rainbows where everyone lives happily ever after "and everything is right with the world", or stupid sad ending where the world is doomed and you are a big meany face. Yay for video games! Now they rival movies!

3- Graphics and technical issues: Graphics are fine, a little plastic-looking and overly shiny, but generally they're good. Animations suffer from poor console porting, I mean the game runs at 60fps but all object animations are locked at 30 fps. There's also some audio stuttering and issues that need to be fixed by editing .ini files, but most PC games have these kinds of issues.

5/10. Not a horrible game, not a good game, just a mediocre shooter with a mediocre story.
  9. Jan 27, 2014
    Calling BioShoch a mere video game is quit inaccurate,it would be more accurate to call it a philosophy book in which you turn pages by brutally murdering splicer(I like to call them sploicers) and other things, namely the big daddies and turrets; and the powerful quotes are instead represented by the Little sisters and the choice they offer, and occasionally-if we're lucky-actual quotes by my all time favorite video game character Andrew Ryan the man who provided me with my personnel motto and the must influential phrase of my adolescence :"A man chooses.A slave obeys".
    But don't you think for a moment that the robust story and philosophy of BioShock isn't supported by the gameplay; because it is, up to date BioShock's gamplay is still one of the most original and solid gamplays ever presented in an FPS, heck... sometimes you even get more immersed in the gameplay than the story. I mean you have guns-which is always a plus-;plasmids(aka: the plusest plus of all pluses, maybe after the portal gun and some other stuffs); hacking; gene tonics...extra,extra. What else would you ask for?you know other than taking the HL2 approach and enabling mods; imagine BioShock with mods,Oh yeah;OK now stp imagining before you **** your pants.
    All in all, the original BioShock is a must-play no matter who you are;it got story, gamplay , and more importantly: Andrew Ryan.
  10. Jan 25, 2014
    Bioshock is a phenomenal and groundbreaking video game with one of the most imaginative gameworlds ever. The underwater utopia of Rapture is an artistic and fun city to explore. Bioshock’s innovative narration tells the story of Rapture’s high-class citizens through the accessible audio logs scattered throughout the city. The voice acting is brilliant and following the tales of these secondary characters spruces up Bioshock’s overall story. This method of narration is very effective, because it doesn’t interrupt the main focus of Bioshock: the gameplay. Simply referring to this game as just a first person shooter is doing Bioshock a disservice. It features revolutionary RPG mechanics and unrivaled level design. Scrounging around an area for unique ammunition, Eve hypos, and invaluable weapon upgrade stations are rewarding experiences. Most importantly, participating in Bioshock’s clever level design will prepare you for the chaotic skirmishes with Big Daddies, which are menacing guardians that protect the little Adam factories with their massive drills, rivet guns, and rocket launchers. There are two forms of currency in Rapture: dollars and Adam. Dollars are acquired through conventional means, such as searching crates or cracking safes. However, Adam can only be gathered by the orphaned girls venturing through Rapture in search of “angels”. Unfortunately, Bioshock is no masterpiece, especially the PC port. You cannot rebind plasmids or weapons to a particular hotkey, and hacking machines are time consuming and temporarily bring Bioshock’s exciting gameplay to halt. In addition, the game is also plagued with some mouse sensitivity and audio problems. However, the sound and mouse issues are fixable. Bioshock’s unrivaled story and groundbreaking gameplay mechanics deliver a nearly perfect gaming experience. Expand
  11. Jan 21, 2014
    This is the best game I have ever played. The story alone had me playing this all day long, the only time I stopped was to use the restroom. Not to mention the fact that the controls are so new and fresh as well as fun. The game was also based off of a massive novel by Ayn Rand called "Atlas Shrugged". This game compelled me to go read the entire book. And it was a great book, and you can really see how it fits in with the world of Rapture. This adds a whole new depth of feel for the game once you read the book. Overall this is not just a game, but it is an experience. So much so that you just have to go through it to understand the genius of it. I am proud to list this as my favorite game. Expand
  12. Jan 13, 2014
    I don't like it. At first i thought i would enjoy this game but i barely finished it.

It have nice setting (something like 50s city on the floor of the ocean,really really cool) but its still just a zombie corridor (doom like) shooter with lots of backtracking. Shooting mechanics are also bad. Wasn't impressed with the story either. Too few enemy types.
  13. Jwv
    Jan 11, 2014
    One of the best singleplayer experiences out there, and probably the best game I played after Half-Life 2. Extremely cool combat, although more kinds of enemies would have been welcome; great sound-effects; good story and plot-twist; consequences for player choice (albeit minor); and one of the coolest concepts in the history of gaming ever! One of the best things of the game are its gorgeous, large sand-box levels that just beg to be explored, there are also a lot of player-triggered events in each level, the levels and its inhabitants are dynamic and each level has its own unique theme. Expand
  14. Jan 8, 2014
    Bioshock has a creepy atmosphere not just in the game but when u consider the whole point of the game which is man having ultimate power.Voice acting is top notch likewise is the level of detail gone on to make the game.The story is mysterious and creepy for most parts and the characters are just brilliant.The only negative about this game is that it has to end and wraps up too quickly.
  15. Dec 12, 2013
    Fantastic game. Top-notch 1950s soundtrack, very atmospheric underwater setting. Weapon & plasmid combat balance "feels" just right. Good voice acting, great plot (and plot twist). Nice low frequency rumbles of the Big Daddies (if you have decent headphones or speakers). Bioshock is one of the best games I've ever played, up there with Deus Ex, etc, for "top 5 games of the decade"). A worthy "spiritual successor" to System Shock 2. It's sad that a 2007-era game (which doesn't feel "dated" at all compared to many others) is of a far higher "polished" finished production quality than many bug-ridden 2013 games... Expand
  16. Dec 8, 2013
    This is one of those "Why on earth didn't I play this game sooner" games. I hesitant to call this game a work of art, because that sounds horridly pretentious. The shooter aspect is alright, the game itself isn't terribly difficult, the graphics are dated by 2013 standards, and the horror moments are not enough to compare it to horror games. That said, this game has am amazing score, a totally immersing environment, sufficient levels of creepy without going too overboard, lots to explore, and a story that blatantly mocks Ayn Rand while making you think she had many good ideas.

If you haven't played this game yet, you really should. It's an experience.
  17. Dec 3, 2013
    This is one of the greatest stories I've ever experienced, as well as some of the best gaming mechanics and progression. There's this constant, strange feeling of fascination as you react to the insanity of the characters around you. The world is beautiful and believable with just a few complaints; recurring models and voice actors persistently remind you that it's just a game. Also, nearing the games completion, there's a fantastic cut-scene that seems to be preparing you for the game's conclusion, but as it turns out, there are several more areas to explore. This might end up making these last few areas feel a little slow, as it did for me, because you're ready for an epic finale but not shown one for quite a while. If you look past these things, Bioshock is hands down one of the best gaming experiences of the past decade. Expand
  18. Dec 2, 2013
    I don't know any other game which has such a great climate as BioShock. It can be really scary at some moments! If you haven't played in BioShock yet, do it now!
  19. 6nd
    Nov 23, 2013
    While it is currently raining here, I thought I'd take this as a chance to flesh out my continued obsession with Ken Levine's beautifully zeitgeist; 'Shock Series'.

Anywhore, as I have stated a few days earlier (and in the introduction). I love Ken's work, it's the superior pacing, the fresh storytelling, and the bold craftsmanship. All of which comes together, and forms a lovely
    reprise that allows us. Nay, gives us the ability to stand atop our chairs, finally see what's beyond the heaping pile of the rubbish we usually have had slopped on our plates, and demand better. But after playing System Shock 2, and seeing what advanced game play mechanics we're capable of achieving on the shoddy, limited, broken, and eyebleedingly simple caveman hardware of the late 90's, I got to thinking. How can we keep demanding a dumbed down, overtly simple, and linear experience? A excellent example would be the spiritual successor to the late great System Shock, BioShock. Now I know this sounds like nitpicking, but I found a multitude of instances where it's lack of key successive element's disheartening, E.G. The sexy RPG side, and if anyone reading this has played SS2, than you know exactly what 'sexy' I'm referring to. Actually, come to think of it. I'm starting to rethink using the word zeitgeist. But getting back to my current rant. It's the lack of these element's that were the sole responsibility for it's change from: Serious, and personalized role playing en devour. To: simplistic, and user friendly pick up and play shooter.

Now, don't get me wrong. I've said it twice, and I'll say it again. I love the work that 2K, Irrational, Looking Glass, and Levine put into those games worlds. Really it's just sad to see the majority rule of the ignorant masses, how they have come to completely control the previously unfettered epic that was the development industry, then proceeded to hurl it like a derailed train flung directly into a bridge abutment.

But, I digress. Any real complaints sitting in my head when playing BioShock are usually reconciled, and quite quickly I might add, by the fact that you can shoot swarms of bee's from your hands. And anything that allows you to shoot swarms of bee's from one's hands, well I say it deserves a break, at least for that.
  20. Nov 23, 2013
    I was very pleased with this game. The story is especially the strongest points of this game, along with its setting. Difficulty wise, you'll probably only find a challenge if you play on the hardest difficulty settings, and even then you'll be swamped with ammo and money all the time. The combat also feels a bit... 'meh'. It doesn't really have a lot to the combat, however they did a very good job with the variation with the Plasmids. I really enjoyed using those. I also found it extremely pleasing to look at, seeing the ruins of what was once a very inspiring city built underwater being filled with mutated humans and armored wrecking machines called Big Daddies brings in a lot of atmosphere.

In short, the setting and story-line is unexpectedly fantastic, though the combat will fall a bit short after a few hours of playing and should definitely be played on the hardest difficulty for the best challenge.
  21. Nov 19, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2) (If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (1/2) Visuals/Story (2/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is better than the visuals, review this section as if the visuals didn’t matter)

Accessibility/Longevity (1/2)

Pricing (1/2)

Wildcard (0)

22. Nov 17, 2013
    One of my favourite games. Everything is perfect. Rapture with its inhabitants was a great place to explore, The plot and characters afre great. The first hour of playing was terrifying but even after the atmosphere made me scary sometimes. And the ending. It was just sad and perfect.
  23. Nov 7, 2013
    This game is the pinnacle of video gaming. Play this and tell me video games aren't art. One of the greatest games ever made. Is able to stand out among a market inundated by annual FPS games.
  24. Nov 5, 2013
    Bioshock took me by surprise. The beautiful world of rapture is one of the most original and overall coolest settings of a game in any genre. It plays like a thinking mans shoot and loot. The AI is great and you're never short of options for how to go about progressing in the game. Each chapter has suprises and odd characters which will keep you going while you hope it never ends. If you want an amazing single player FPS experience definitely give this one a go. Expand
  25. Oct 21, 2013
    replayed recently and all I have to say is still worth $60 even by today's standards, the graphics being the only exception but not as far behind as one might expect from a game its age. One of my all time favorites.
  26. Oct 17, 2013
    the original, and probably still the best. Incredible setting, amazing atmosphere, great use of tactics and powers, and of course, quite an incredible plot twist. A worth successor to SS2
  27. Oct 16, 2013
    awesome. reminds me of deus ex, but this one is better. even my girlfriend got addicted to the game. and i dont have to set the config to minimum like crysis and such because it´s an old game. the retro setting is amazing, scary in a kind of uncanny feeling. the character progression as you pick up these buffs or feats canniters is really fun and rewarding and you can try out as many different skill settings you want. great game, i can´t believe i´d never played it before Expand
  28. Oct 11, 2013
    First time I had played this game was march 2010 on my xbox. I loved it even though I couldn't follow the story well. Then in my second play through I loved it even more Lots of stuff to know about main characters, not perfect but very surprising plot. Perfect atmosphere and great music. I liked the graphics in 2010 and I still like it in 2013 I finished it for third time after Bioshock Infinite on my PC. Expand
  29. Oct 8, 2013
    A wonderful retro-style FPS set in an undersea city in the 60s. You can blast or stun your enemies using a wide array of guns and abilities in a haunting claustrophobic setting unlike any other. Like in System Shock 2 you can select and update your skills, hack devices (e.g. turrets), customize your character’s powers and overcome challenges in your own way.
    In terms of cons, the gameplay
    is rather wonky (e.g. hard to target some enemies moving &shooting alarmingly fast) while the game is very lenient when it comes to the character’s death: the character can rez again and again while the enemy’s health is not refilled (in other words, the game does not require gamers to play carefully). Also, the dark dystopian setting, although impressive, grows drab (thankfully Arcadia & Prometheus change the ambience).

PS the game’s well-designed hacking system rules
  30. Oct 8, 2013
    Bioshock is a boring, clunky, overly streamlined, and an overall overrated game. It has a great story and would've been great if it was a movie or a book, however it's a horrible game. The game play is dull and un-fun, it's not scary, and it feels like it's stepping on the far superior System-Shock. Once again, Good for a book or movie, bad for a game.

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.