BioShock PC

8.5

1. Mar 14, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Easily one of the most overrated games of all time.
    Before I begin this review, let me just say that I had such high hopes for this game. It looked so interesting, received numerous positive reviews, and I loved the game when I first started playing it. However, by the time I finished the game, I was exhausted of the game in its entirety, allow me to explain myself.

Pros:
    - Great art, beautiful water and fire effects, especially in the beginning.
    - At first, its combat system is interesting, unique, fun, and satisfying.
    - One of the greatest plot twists I've seen in a video game and it was done so well. There were hints leading up to it, but done so that it was not entirely obvious what was happening.
    - The beginning sequences have fantastic cinematography and create an interesting story-line. I really thought I was going into one of the greatest single-player games.

Cons:
    - Combat becomes tedious very soon after the introduction. Big Daddies are bullet sponges, other enemies are so difficult to fight that it becomes a chore, eventually, and I believe this is due to the clunkiness of the combat. The final boss fight is anything but fun.
    - I hate when games bar me from proceeding by making me backtrack or force me to fight waves of enemies in the same place. It's an indication of laziness to develop more of the game environment. This game does this so often and it is so frustrating to go to the same room five times to realize you missed a small detail that will help you proceed. I can think of at least three times this game did this, and they were not small pieces of the game, they dragged these segments out to high hell.
    - The main story-line is incredibly uninteresting after the plot twist. I don't care about the sisters that much after awhile. It's harder for me to say,
    - The side story was completely indigestible for me. The audio recordings were so distorted that I couldn't quite hear what was being said. The subtitles did me no favors because they were so long, but didn't stay on the screen long enough and weren't synced with the audio.
    - The rag-dolls have this weird clunkiness to them. I think their bodies didn't move at the same framerate as the game, making them look they falling in big, singular movements. This may not be a problem in other games, but in a game so heavily driven by art, this sticks out like a sore thumb to me.
    - Towards the end of the game, at least on the Xbox 306 version, there is a graphical glitch that removes significant amount of details from objects in the game. It is so bad that I couldn't see it being excusable in any video game, art-driven or not.
    - The map is horrendous and useless. In game where you have to do so much backtracking, this matters a lot, but the map never helped me navigate through the game.
    - The idea of the Little Sisters is interesting, but not implemented well. The only reason it isn't implemented well is because there is almost no consequence for killing them in-game. The only thing it affects is the ending of the game, big whoop. Two of the endings are barely different. You get more in-game benefits for killing them, so eventually you'll learn not to care that they look so adorable. You can't just tell me to care because I should treat the game as if it is real life, it isn't. If you want me to make more real-life decisions, then give me a better reason to care. Only one of the endings is dramatically different, making this whole feature feel pointless. They help you in the end, regardless of how many you killed along the way. The fact that the ending changes based on decisions to save the sisters or not makes the game seem as if it is centered around just this one element, in the end, and not around the city of Rapture itself. I thought the sisters were a core element, but not the whole story.

Overall, it really is just an okay game with some good elements, but some also being quite poor. I would have rather seen this as a movie than a video game.
  2. Jan 31, 2017
    All the good goes to the environment, from world design to visuals to sound to atmosphere… This is truly a beautiful piece, possibly the best 3D world of its time. I enjoyed a lot of places, the museum, the little sisters room, the theater, the variety of posters…

The gameplay, on the other hand, is average, slightly boring even. I found the energy to progress only by playing 1 level per session. Nothing bad, really, but rather repetitive and tactically limited. Pretty much all you need is the fake target power and a wrench. Your inventory will then be full all along and almost useless. It's also pretty easy, and I would have played on the hardest mode for the challenge, except that the constant respawns in standard mode are annoying enough already and I don't want more of this kind of aggro. There are a couple of amusing fights, though.
  3. Dec 16, 2016
    Not bad, but when i played, i expect not what i saw. I expect game, what has name "Bioshock Infinife", That's all. But is say serious, if not mind stupid creepy moments and dummy dolls charachters, which here three (two), this game is pretty good.
  4. Oct 25, 2016
    The story is very interesting, but the environment is too dark to me, landscapes feel too repetitive. Personally I don't like shooters too much, although I have to admit the devs made a good effort to keep the gameplay fresh with all of those magical powers.
  5. Sep 26, 2016
    When I got to Ryan, I thought, this game is actually really good ; The mechanics, the design, all great. After a while I couldn't stand the hacking anymore, which forced me to ignore it, which forced me die more than I should have. The FOV in this game is criminal, and the challenge essentially comes from the communion of a retarded field of view and a constant stream of aggression fromWhen I got to Ryan, I thought, this game is actually really good ; The mechanics, the design, all great. After a while I couldn't stand the hacking anymore, which forced me to ignore it, which forced me die more than I should have. The FOV in this game is criminal, and the challenge essentially comes from the communion of a retarded field of view and a constant stream of aggression from the game. The pacing of the story is also all over the place. There is actually almost no plot development until you reach Ryan, which is 80% into the game. Perhaps more generally, the game just became more and more repetitive as the developer failed to create new, refreshing, dare I say, fun situation for the player to deal with. The game went from thoughtful and satisfying in its first half to chaotic and frustrating in its second half. The story and lore is interesting, but how can it be considered a masterpiece, is one of the great mysteries of the gaming world ; Then again, Infinite is considered great, even though it doesn't even have any of the redeeming qualities of Bioshock, as if the developer had no idea what were Bioshock's strength in the first place ; Talking about a lack of talent there. It's a frustrating state of affair, because these mechanics deserved to be served and delivered through better level design and pacing. Expand
  6. Jun 21, 2016
    A very atmospheric first person shooter with an interesting story ,

A very atmospheric first person shooter with an interesting story ,

In game you are put in the shoes of a airplane crash survivor who finds himself in the middle of the ocean. Only to discover an entrence to an underwater city called Rapture. The city once glorious is now falling apart. It also is overrun by twisted for a lack of a better word mutants. You are led by a voice on the radio following his advice in a hope to escape the city without dying. In order to do that you use a wide array of weapons with aid from Adam - a genetic rewriting fluid that essentially gives you magic powers.

What I liked about the game. Definitely the setting - Rapture is extremely well designed with a very unique and constant atmospehre which holds out through the whole game. The enemy design is interesting and fits the setting. All locations, missions and progress make sense and push the story ever forward. Ammo is scarce - you value each shot and try to save every bullet as much as you can - which adds to the atmosphere. The big daddy's are pretty scary and first encounter with them is really unforgeable.

What I didn't like was definitely the combat design. Enemies run around what feels like frantically around and are extremely hard to hit. What others might consider a plus it felt more annoying than anything else. Also all of them seem pretty tanky so you need to put a lot of bullets to put them down. Another thing I disliked was the camera mechanic - having to take pictures of enemies to learn their weaknesses might be a good idea but in a game where stealth is next to not existent having to take pictures of enemies in the middle of gunfight is a bit silly.

Overall I really did enjoy the game and can recommend it mostly for the ambience and atmosphere it comes with.
  7. Mar 1, 2016
    Antes de começar eu gostaria de dizer que dar uma nota não tão boa para um jogo aclamado não é algo que eu goste ou sinta vontade de fazer mas é apenas uma questão de opinião, cada um tem a sua. BioShock é um game de tiro em primeira pessoa (FPS) de ação mas possui certos elementos de Horror dentro dele, além de elementos de RPG também... Aqui no Metacritic o game conta com uma pontuaçãoAntes de começar eu gostaria de dizer que dar uma nota não tão boa para um jogo aclamado não é algo que eu goste ou sinta vontade de fazer mas é apenas uma questão de opinião, cada um tem a sua. BioShock é um game de tiro em primeira pessoa (FPS) de ação mas possui certos elementos de Horror dentro dele, além de elementos de RPG também... Aqui no Metacritic o game conta com uma pontuação de "96/100" pela parte dos críticos, uma pontuação extremamente alta, mas que apesar de eu não ter gostado do jogo no geral (No quesito diversão), eu compreendo e respeito a opinião dos críticos. Antes de dizer minhas opiniões a respeito do game, vou falar um pouco sobre o que as pessoas geralmente listam como pontos positivos em BioShock. Os críticos e os fãs do jogo destacam basicamente tudo como ponto positivo, a História, as Ambientações/Gráficos, Música/Som e Jogabilidade, tudo foi aclamado. Eu concordo parcialmente com isso, então vou citar aqui minha opinião a respeito de cada um desses 4 fatores, Vamos lá.

►História: Em relação a história do jogo vou ser bem claro para não dar nenhum Spoiler, o game tem um enredo muito interessante e bem detalhado, diria que é uma trama original e acho que daria um excelente filme também (Se houvesse uma boa adaptação, é claro), então nesse quesito eu concordo com a opinião da maioria, apenas acho um pouco chato o fato de boa parte dela ser contada através de arquivos de áudio, que não são tão interessantes de serem escutados.

►Ambientação: Nesse quesito eu fico meio a meio, eu achei interessante a ideia do game se passar numa cidade no fundo do mar (Conhecida como Rapture) e existir toda uma comunidade populando ela, isso foi realmente muito interessante, mas é como nos Resident Evil's Clássicos, todos sabemos que Raccon City é uma cidade marcante e quando ouvimos o nome dessa cidade já nos lembramos de Resident Evil, contudo, ela não é tão aproveitada e na maior parte do tempo ficamos em locais fechados e ninguém se importa no fato de estarmos em Raccon City. Com BioShock é a mesma coisa, estamos em uma cidade que se formos ver do lado de fora é "Fantástica" mas quando entramos nela vemos que não tem nada demais e o maior problema, para mim, é que os ambientes são extremamente claustrofóbicos e não são tão variados assim. Dá uma constante impressão que estamos andando em um longo corredor em uma boa parte do jogo. Apesar da ambientação contar com um estilo "Steampunk" e ter um visual sombrio (algo que eu gosto bastante) torna o visual de certa forma interessante, mas eu realmente não me acostumei com a ambientação do jogo e não achei agradável no geral, não me satisfez.

►Som: Nesse quesito eu não posso falar muita coisa, as músicas tocadas durante o game, os sons do cenário, e a atuação na dublagem dos personagens é boa, n tenho do que reclamar.

►Jogabilidade: Esse é o real motivo de eu não recomendar o game. Na teoria, o jogo deveria ser diversificado em questão de jogabilidade, isso porque podemos usar e mesclar poderes/magias com as tradicionais Armas de Fogo, porém na prática não é algo tão divertido assim... Na verdade, nem um pouco divertido.
    Os poderes são bem interessantes e úteis em diversos casos mas a precisão com as armas não é boa, pelo menos eu não considero, e por incrível que pareça eu não sei explicar o motivo, eu simplesmente não consigo gostar de atirar nesse jogo, independente da arma. O Récuo das armas é extremamente estranho e muitas vezes da a impressão que as armas não possuem potência, isso acontece porque quando damos tiro nos inimigos (Chamados por Splicers), eles tem uma reação quase que inexistente e após tomarem tiro eles apenas levantam a cabeça e continuam a atirar em você, isso é algo que me incomodou e MUITO. Dá sempre a impressão que estamos jogando ping-pong, tiro pra lá, tiro pra cá, parece que os inimigos não tomam dano, é muito bizarro.

Falando em inimigos, eu os achei bem sem graça e são muito pouco variados, basicamente matamos o mesmo tipo de inimigo o jogo todo e o design deles é muito estranho por sinal, eu não sinto nem prazer de mata-los de tão sem graça que eles são, sem falar nas turretas que temos que destruir durante o jogo, elas são extremamente irritantes e esses inimigos fazem com que o jogo se torne extremamente enjoativo e repetitivo e esse é o maior motivo da minha nota negativa para o jogo... mas mesmo odiando quase tudo no quesito inimigos, existe uma excessão: O Big Daddy. Esse cara acompanhado das garotinhas (As Little Sisters) são realmente muito interessantes e são sem dúvidas um ícone quando falamos em BioShock, na real eles são a única motivação que tive para comprar o game, pois na época que joguei pela primeira vez eu não era muito fã de jogos de FPS... Mas, mesmo querendo gostar do game eu realmente não consegui. Então para finalizar minha crítica, saiba que o game não é de todo ruim, tem seus pontos positivos assim como qualquer jogo, entretanto, para mim, os negativos os sobrepõe.

Nota Final: 6/10 (Ok)
  8. Feb 29, 2016
    The Bioshock has surprised me a lot. I had heard before playing the game it has unique approach to creating the world and it really is astonishing like they managed to forge something so weird and fascinating at the same time.
  9. Dec 26, 2015
    This is a game I was never able to truly get into, perhaps it's because I started off with BioShock Infinite. However it's a very good game, from what I've seen and the little I did play. Very cinematic for an FPS game. Sorry can't really give much more of a review - I just wanted to clean out my old review since it was pretty stupid.
  10. Nov 22, 2015
    The beginning ist really great: atmosfere, the background, philosophy. But after 2-3 hours the game becomes average and you begin to see the weak sides of this game: you are immortal, bad controlling, few enemies, childish dialogues. there are much better shooter out there. But the end is a masterpiece of videogames: DO THE GOOD side and rescue the sisters, the end sequence is brilliant.
  11. Sep 3, 2015
    When I first tried to play Bioshock it wont stop acting like a dole bludger, no matter what the game refused to work.
    And the steam overlay would not work for this game.
    When I finally got it to work the story is interesting with a sense of mystery and grabs you at first which is told uniquely by finding audio diaries and the unique, amazing, eerie underwater city atmosphere. But that
    And the steam overlay would not work for this game.

But that wears off after 10 hours of gameplay it becomes boring, repetitive, linear with set goals you have to follow to be able to progress and same repetitive enemies of splicers, Big Daddies, turrets and bots.

I found the end bit the most entertaining.

The game is also buggy and suffers from occasional screen freezing.
    An overrated, overhyped rather boring fps I don't reccomend wasting your time on this. It's not a terrible game, but it's not good either.

5/10 for the graphics/art unique atmosphere
  12. Jul 18, 2015
    This game is hard to judge. It starts of pretty good with an interesting premise, world and game mechanics, but ultimately, it does not deliver, as it jumps to the levels of tediousness and mediocrity in all of these areas.

Premise: The story is told in a series of diaries that you have to find while exploring Rapture. It's pretty basic and most of the things you're gonna hear are not

Premise:
    The story is told in a series of diaries that you have to find while exploring Rapture. It's pretty basic and most of the things you're gonna hear are not important. Also, it's annoying that there's a diary around every corner, so you have to stop everywhere and listen to those tracks, it breaks the flow of the game play. In Deus Ex, I did not mind stopping at each and every computer and hacking everything because it was fun and you were rewarded with codes etc., here it's just redundant and boring.

World:
    To be honest, I am no sucker for underwater towns, so while I can appreciate the art direction and such, it is hard not to see that all areas are fairly similar and all of the enemies are just light variations, so you'll be going through the levels killing the same enemies over and over again.

The levels tend to be quite large and give you some room to explore which is something I like about this game, but ultimately ... there is not much to find. Yeah, you can find another Plasmid or Tonic here and there, but you'll find so many of these that they do not feel like unique upgrades. You'll have full equips and tons of spare ones that you're never going to use. Wouldn't it be better to have 5 actually usable ones that can be used all the time rather than having 15 or such out of which more than half is useless?

Game mechanics:
    The Little Sisters mechanic can get pretty annoying, as sometimes you have to wait a long time for them to appear and if they see you, they can climb back into the holes and you have to repeat the process over and over again which is not fun. Also, the choice is meaningless as saving the girls gives you much better stuff overall so there is not point in killing them.

Another problem is that in spite of having a large choice of ways to deal with enemies, using your weapons is a much more better choice rather than awkwardly trying to zap enemies (or using plasmids in general). Weapons are sure to kill. Especially your wrench. I practically use the wrench all the time and leave the guns for rare causes when wrench is not enough. The game even supports this style of game play by giving you wrench upgrades and limiting the ammo you can get. So, you'll be using a few weapons throughout the whole game and even though you have tons of other options to choose from, you will not use them, there is no reason to do so.

The hacking is quite nice, but gets tedious later on and sometimes the generated puzzle cannot be solved. Some more testing would have been nice.

What I actually like, though, is the fact that you can take photos of enemies to analyze them and get bonuses for doing so. It's fun trying to take photos, even though the enemies all look so similar that you can never be sure which you've already photographed.

Final verdict:
    Let's sum this up, this game tries to come up with a lot of ideas, such as unique plasmids, photography etc., but never goes anywhere with them. That means that the initial feeling of enthusiasm towards this game disappears and you're left with a game that's full of: walking through similar areas, fighting the same enemies over and over again and using like 3 weapons through the whole course of the game.
    Unfortunately, I got bored in like 1/3 through the game already, but I kept playing and that meant that all the faults and boredom became even more tedious. Right now, I've finished 50% of the game and I haven't had much fun with this.

I'll probably finish this game, but I highly doubt that my rating is gonna change, I'll update this review in case it does, though. 6/10

Edit: Okay, I beat the game.
    There was another part that I liked, Fort Frolic. The penultimate level was also quite interesting, because you had to work with Little Sisters, but it dragged on for way too long, because they walk too slow.
    The ending video is nice.

However, I have become so strong with my wrench that not even Big Daddies could damage me at this point with the Freeze upgrade + Health recovery, so the rest of the game was super easy. No interesting bosses, no interesting enemies, no interesting upgrades (only improved versions of the ones you have making the older one quite useless) ...

I didn't like the "plot twist" with Atlas and the areas revolving him, as it was obvious from the beginning that he was a bad guy. Would've been more interesting if they did something different.

The final boss was simply lame, I wrenched him in like 20 seconds.

So, in the end, it's still a decent game, but I am not changing my score of 6/10.
    Hopefully, Bioshock 2 will be better.
  13. Jun 26, 2015
    - Good: Mood/Atmosphere, Art Direction, Audio
    - Mixed: Gameplay, Story, Writing, Setting
    - Bad: ---

Overrated game in my honest opinion, i rushed this game at the end because i was bored.
  14. Jun 18, 2015
    Loses the atmosphere and "spookiness" of System Shock 2 and over-symplifies the mechanics. Not even an RPG, mostly a corridor shooter. Don't bother with this.
  15. Apr 9, 2015
    A mediocre rail shooter with excellect graphics. Any comparisons to Deus Ex 1 or Deus Ex Human Revolution are way out of place. In Bioshock the levels are linear, and enemies appear at scripted events, sometimes from behind (hello, Doom 3). In Deus Ex (or Hitman before Absolution) you could plan different approaches to a level, use different tactics. Here you just follow the next waypoint.A mediocre rail shooter with excellect graphics. Any comparisons to Deus Ex 1 or Deus Ex Human Revolution are way out of place. In Bioshock the levels are linear, and enemies appear at scripted events, sometimes from behind (hello, Doom 3). In Deus Ex (or Hitman before Absolution) you could plan different approaches to a level, use different tactics. Here you just follow the next waypoint. And even if at some point you go back thru the places you've already cleared these places will again be full of enemies, or new ones will break thru a wall. You pick a shotgun - and hello Serious Sam: the screen goes black, and enemies run to you from the darkness from all directions. Hacking electronic devices is all about solving increasingly difficult "water pipes" puzzles which get annoying pretty fast. Also, levels are littered with trash and objects with which you can't interact. This makes spotting enemies, moving and finding loot difficult and doesn't make a more interesting game. Expand
  16. Feb 22, 2015
    While Rapture is a marvelous backdrop that creates a great critique of Ayn Rand's Objectivism, the storyline is a bit shallow towards the end. The narrative builds up to a memorable plot twist, though the ending feels underwhelming. No meaningful plot points or themes are introduced after the twist, limiting the game to a series of empty shootouts leading to an uninspired final boss fight.While Rapture is a marvelous backdrop that creates a great critique of Ayn Rand's Objectivism, the storyline is a bit shallow towards the end. The narrative builds up to a memorable plot twist, though the ending feels underwhelming. No meaningful plot points or themes are introduced after the twist, limiting the game to a series of empty shootouts leading to an uninspired final boss fight. The story ends with a cliched double ending that’s determined by the moral decisions you have made in the game, though they are very black and white. Both endings are very expected and feel a bit too resolved.
    And though the gameplay mechanics were undoubtadly a blast (especially the plasmids!), the game was way too generous with revivals. You can never die/recieve a gameover in this game regardless of the difficulty. Whenever your character loses health, they are revived at a nearby Vita-Chamber. Because enemies retained the damage you inflicted on them, you can lose health as many times as you desire and still kill the enemies. With this in mind, I was able to kill the games strongest enemies by repeatedly whacking them with a wrench. Without any penalty for death, I lost my initial fears of the ominous environments and never felt pushed to play the game skillfuly. It broke the experience for me.
  17. Dec 5, 2014
    Great pre-game of that, what "Bioshock: Infinite" saved and done more goodly, than here!.. But dont forgetting about that fact, that this is really one of the best "first person shooter games" ever!
  18. Aug 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't get me wrong I liked this game. The Good: The Story was well done the atmosphere was good as well. Now for the bad: The ending(s) were terrible the gameplay got kinda repetitive half-way through. Overall i recommend it, but I think bioshock infinite was the best of the series. Expand
  19. Aug 8, 2014
    Bioshock.
    This game was supposed to be the spiritual successor to a very powerful game, System Shock 2. The environment and the story are supposed to be dark and horrifying, with every piece you learn building up to a terrifying and emotional breakdown as the game progresses.
    Does Bioshock deliver? Yes and no. The game is fanciful and beautiful, a graphical piece of art at the time.
    Bioshock.

Does Bioshock deliver? Yes and no.
    The game is fanciful and beautiful, a graphical piece of art at the time. But if we just wanted to look at pretty things, we wouldn't play games right? And that is where Bioshock's ultimate problem lies, it is a beautiful, polished game on the outside, but on the inside it is affected by a hideous gameplay, and so-so story telling.

The gameplay is repetitive from within itself, go here, do this, kill the big daddy, get some more juice and pump yourself up. It's boring and unimaginative; it was cool the first, and maybe even second time it happened, but once you realized it for what it was, it quickly became stale. The boss at the end was incredibly contrived, I found him to be an incredibly comical looking, shallow villain. He wasn't scary, or monstrous, but colorful and without real history or depth. The developers tried to sell him off as someone that went mad with his lust for power and evolution, but in the end he was just another NPC to destroy.

The storytelling was borrowed from System-Shock's progressive method of sharing what happened in audio logs. This is a fantastic way of sharing a story, though the characters that leave the logs need to be believable, true and above all, REAL to us. While the story of how Rapture was conceived, built, rotted from within, and eventually collapsed was intriguing, the delivery was poor, and you couldn't connect as easily with the former inhabitants of Rapture due to the lack of emotional connection with the characters who left the logs behind. In System Shock 2, I was dying to find the next log, the next piece of the puzzle, the next E-mail that might explain what was going on. In Bioshock, I wasn't that excited, and the game's plot was static and predictable.

Some might argue that comparing it to System Shock isn't fair and that it should be judged on it's own merits. I disagree because this game is riding on the coattails of greatness and promised an experience that would rival its spiritual predecessor. It didn't completely live up to expectations.

It is, though, at least entertaining, and is worth playing. Do not expect it to be a groundbreaking, game-changing experience however. It is neither of those.
  20. Jul 31, 2014
    Unfortunately, I was hyped for Bioshock to no end. The spiritual successor to one of the best games in history - System Shock, partly from the same creators. The expectations went through the roof, raving reviews, promo lines like System Shock on steroids, you get the idea. But when I started playing this I was like What??? What is this console shooter crap? Yes, the location is nice and IUnfortunately, I was hyped for Bioshock to no end. The spiritual successor to one of the best games in history - System Shock, partly from the same creators. The expectations went through the roof, raving reviews, promo lines like System Shock on steroids, you get the idea. But when I started playing this I was like What??? What is this console shooter crap? Yes, the location is nice and I always love the retro flavor, but other than that the entire thing was a huge disappointment for me. From visuals and engine, to enemies and game mechanics, disappointment was huge with this one. 5/10 Expand
  21. Feb 14, 2014
    Bad shooting physics and bad story plot. A highly overrated game. It might was a good game in 2007 but in 2014 it is not satisfying. Only good thing in the game is the coolness of Big Daddy. Deserves at most 5 points.
  22. Feb 6, 2014
    1- Gameplay: The gameplay is monotonous and dull, the game is the definition of a generic tunnel shooter, hours upon hours of going through identical looking corridors and rooms killing identical enemies whose only purpose is to stand there waiting for you to kill them. Not even Doom 3 felt this repetitive.

2- Writing: This game has the most overrated story I've ever seen. First thing

2- Writing: This game has the most overrated story I've ever seen.
    First thing to mention is how horribly it's presented, there are no NPCs to interact with, you're just barraged with audio logs or one-way radio messages every ten meters, so you really don't care much about any of the characters or what's going on because you never see any of them.
    Second thing the writing is not engaging, the audio logs are disjointed and pretentious. They give off the stench of a writer thinking "Look at me I'm such a good writer". "Morality" in this game consists of either saving the children or killing the children (Oh no! Not the children!). It has a lame plot twist you see from a mile away, and it has the generic Chris Metzen villain whose only purpose is to taunt you over the radio every minute: "I will kill you now!", "You will never escape!", "I am too powerful!", and this lasts half the freakin game (until you defeat him in the generic boss battle of course).
    And then the endings, unimaginative as f*ck, either sunshine and rainbows where everyone lives happily ever after "and everything is right with the world", or stupid sad ending where the world is doomed and you are a big meany face. Yay for video games! Now they rival movies!

3- Graphics and technical issues: Graphics are fine, a little plastic-looking and overly shiny, but generally they're good. Animations suffer from poor console porting, I mean the game runs at 60fps but all object animations are locked at 30 fps. There's also some audio stuttering and issues that need to be fixed by editing .ini files, but most PC games have these kinds of issues.

5/10. Not a horrible game, not a good game, just a mediocre shooter with a mediocre story.
  23. Nov 19, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (1/2) Visuals/Story (2/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

Gameplay (1/2)

Visuals/Story (2/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (1/2)

Pricing (1/2)

Wildcard (0)

24. Oct 8, 2013
    Pretty standard FPS fare, little more than a watered-down (pun intended) System Shock 2, a visually outstanding but with an all too familiar story (Atlas is Polito, Fontaine is Shodan) and gameplay (security stations, turrets, cameras, Vita Chambers Quantum Bio Reconstruction Machines, etc.) overrated and over-hyped, but a decent shooter; nothing more.
  25. Oct 7, 2013
    BioShock does a great job of atmosphere. The environments, music, story and art style combine to create the fantastic underwater city of Rapture. There are some tense moments against some well designed enemies as you progress through this "utopia" as it's falling apart. The mechanics are where the game loses some of its shine. The weapons and plasmids while interesting aren't wellBioShock does a great job of atmosphere. The environments, music, story and art style combine to create the fantastic underwater city of Rapture. There are some tense moments against some well designed enemies as you progress through this "utopia" as it's falling apart. The mechanics are where the game loses some of its shine. The weapons and plasmids while interesting aren't well balanced. It seemed to force playing enemies a certain way. Beating ranged big daddies with certain weapons and plasmids was almost impossible while others almost made it too easy. The customization with buffs and the invention mechanics are deep but don't feel gameplay changing. If you can get used to the mechanics BioShock has a lot to offer. Expand
  26. Aug 15, 2013
    I'm not entirely sure what all the fuss is about this game. Its gameplay was mediocre at best, although the plotline and overall graphics, I will say, were well done.

Boring and repetitive enemies. Linear gameplay. Powerups that aren't even useful. And don't even get me started about the broken death system. "Oh, you were an idiot and died? No problem, full health for you and you keep all your progress!" Talk about dumbing it down for the masses! Also, for Christ's sake, get more than 3 voice actor's. I was ready to punch holes in my speakers after hearing enemies say the same crap over and over and over for hours.

Overall: Not that impressed.
  27. Aug 8, 2013
    Probably the most overrated game of all time. True Rapture is beautiful and amazing and I was kinda surprised by the "twist" but it wasn't spectacular. However the biggest problem is the controls and lack of it. The guns don't pack any punch and the button used to aim down the sights is oddly placed. Great concept but it did not live up to it's potential
  28. Jul 17, 2013
    I must say I've got a problem with this one. The whole setting of the game is imbued with an unprecedented amount of artistry, the background of all events is incredibly rich and consistent. Rapture is enchanting beautifully designed location and ubiquitous art déco feel. The history is quite good and I just loved the characters and audio layer of the game (incredibly good voice actingI must say I've got a problem with this one. The whole setting of the game is imbued with an unprecedented amount of artistry, the background of all events is incredibly rich and consistent. Rapture is enchanting beautifully designed location and ubiquitous art déco feel. The history is quite good and I just loved the characters and audio layer of the game (incredibly good voice acting and music). All of this creates a coherent universe which significantly exceeds the technical aspects of the game itself. Bioshock as a game just doesn't offer enough fun. I accept the plasmids because the story behind them is plausible, but i just can't find justification for tonics. The gameplay isn't satisfying the guns don't give that special feel, permanent lack of ammo and too much plasmids to choose the tonics the hacking vending machines adam eve Power to the People Gene Banks Gatherer's Garden Health stations bots turrets photos everything... much exaggerated. The game mechanics is overcomplicated and bewildering.
    Also the level design (in macroscale as a route from beginning to end) isn't very sophisticated I would say it's like small villages sparsely placed by the main road Fort Frolic for example. Unnecessary detour to Fleet Hall and Poseidon Plaza justified only by the designers willingness to add extra content to the game (although I think mentioned location are well designed and eye-catching) heck, why couldn't you just walk straight to bathysphere. Most of the game player seems to travel from node to node.
    I think the game tries to be too long everything goes well if you are driven by plot you gather informations and audio diaries but then you reach a moment in which writers took a pause. It's easy to forget what and why you're supposed to do. The best choice would be to cut those moment since they contain only shooting & fighting and those aspects of the game doesn't defend themselves.
    Another disadvantage of Bioshock is the design of the enemies they aren't very diverse, their animation is poor and they're ugly. Just ugly (and I don't mean scary). Some characters and events related to them are insistently weird. Too mature, too bizarre... you can't really identify with them or with their motives and choices.
    I've got really hard time finishing it some moment are really dull but I'm glad I did it finally.
    Yes, I agree the game is overrated but I will not score Bioshock to 0. And I will not discourage anyone to buy the game.
  29. Jun 24, 2013
    'BioShock' is a game that you have to play to find out what everyone is talking about—and it is definitely worth the time—even though I tend to ignore horror games. I loved that the gamemakers allowed Objectivist philosophy to heavily influence the game. The thought of living in a world inspired by Ayn Rand should terrify any sane person, but the player of 'BioShock' must navigate the'BioShock' is a game that you have to play to find out what everyone is talking about—and it is definitely worth the time—even though I tend to ignore horror games. I loved that the gamemakers allowed Objectivist philosophy to heavily influence the game. The thought of living in a world inspired by Ayn Rand should terrify any sane person, but the player of 'BioShock' must navigate the ruined aftermath of that retro-futurist nightmare, while fighting tortured madmen, managing resources, and solving puzzles along the way. Sadly, I did not finish this game. I became enamored with the 'Fallout' series at the time, and 'BioShock' fell off my radar through no fault of its own. I would like to finish the game, so that I can fully appreciate the dystopian intersection of intellectual and adrenaline-pumping gameplay as wrought by Irrational Games. Expand
  30. May 12, 2013
    If you have ever played System Shock 2, you'll immediately notice the sumularities. From how plasmids are in a way exactly the same as the psionic powers, to the wrench as a melee weapon. It could have been equally good, if not better, but its recycled feeling and unprecise gunplay mechanics, it's a dragged down experience that easily makes for one of the most over rated games in history.

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.