8.5

1. Nov 4, 2017
    Bioshock is awesome. Truly. I haven't played the remaster but the original one, and 10 years after release this game is still awesome, playable, relevant, looks great.
    If you're someone like me and took your time until trying this game, please do so now. If you appreciate a good story and can handle FPS, it should be worth it.
    It has great atmosphere, epic soundtrack, probably the best

It has great atmosphere, epic soundtrack, probably the best opening a video game has ever had, nice gameplay elements added to the ordinary Shooters recipe, and have I mentioned the good story?

There are many (!) good reviews about Bioshock so there's no point in going on. And while I recommend it and think it totally deserves this positivity, I WOULD write a few (just a few) points which did bother me a little, and may be critical to other players:
    *Game is quite linear. It didn't bother me greatly, but I know some wouldn't like it at all. There are plenty of corners for you to explore and look around for resources and cool stuff you collect throughout the game, so it really bothered me only at the very end when I felt I didn't have much to find anymore. So, not 100% linear, but mostly linear.

*Story is unfolded mostly with tape recordings. Actual happenings are really mostly at the very beginning and towards the end of the game. That one actually REALLY bothered me, I found it harder to concentrate and understand the story this way. It could also make things boring & repetitive at times. But all in all, the whole story of Bioshock is pretty much worth it.

*Game is completely playable on modern machines despite being old, but nonetheless it's not innocent some bugs and glitches, personally I've encountered a tendency of the voice acting so suddenly disappear at some of the non-tape-recordings moments, which are the most crucial ones, leaving me only with the subtitles which I couldn't even finish reading at times. I couldn't find a solution to this problem and that really ruined a moment or two throughout the game. From trying to figure it out I found that there are plenty of others encountering the same issue and some others as well. Ah well. Just some technical bugs, but really, they're not that common.
    Go Play!
  2. Sep 28, 2017
    An amazing story in a very deep and fleshed out world with memorable characters and great gunplay.. This game also has what is by far the best twist in any game's story ever
  3. Sep 17, 2017
    Masterpiece of all times. Although its PC version is pretty buggy the story, environments, characters and all about Rapture makes this game one must play at all cost. I totally recommend it if you are into gloomy atmospheres, bizarre situations and you are into stuff like George Orwell's 1984
  4. Sep 13, 2017
    The game added a whole new sub-genre for the FPS genre, a Horror FPS game. This was a whole new idea to gaming. Everyone was like "This is a shooter, but, it has something different, Something new to it.".
    BioShock has an amazing story line, The environment is amazing, the weapons are balanced and great, you can have super powers, too (Kinda) and the graphics are good.
    The game was

The game was made in 2007, but, it runs smoothly on Windows 10.

Overall a great game, 10/10.
  5. Aug 19, 2017
    In one of the interviews, Levine talked about how he pestered the thresholds of leading publishers, offering them BioShock. "A typical shooter for the PC, he will disperse in a circulation of 250,000 copies," the important bosses told him and pointed to the door. Bite your elbows, short-sighted gentlemen, - you missed the candidate for "Game of the Year".
  6. Jun 28, 2017
    Muy buen juego. Muy entretenido a la par que te cuentan una historia intensa sin saltarse lo mas importante, la jugabilidad. Una banda sonora de la lecha, q le añade aun mas intensidad al juego. Aunque la variedad de enemigos se ha quedado corta para mi gusto. Lo bueno, y es un punto muy a favor, es que no te dan el paron con cinematicas estupidas cada dos por tres, es que ni hay. Y algoMuy buen juego. Muy entretenido a la par que te cuentan una historia intensa sin saltarse lo mas importante, la jugabilidad. Una banda sonora de la lecha, q le añade aun mas intensidad al juego. Aunque la variedad de enemigos se ha quedado corta para mi gusto. Lo bueno, y es un punto muy a favor, es que no te dan el paron con cinematicas estupidas cada dos por tres, es que ni hay. Y algo que hay que reconocer a 2K es que nos han sabido contar una historia muy buena sin cinematicas y no saltandose la jugabilidad. Expand
  7. Jun 28, 2017
    Un gran y ambicioso videojuego. Con un arte y una narrativa envolventes y complejos. La jugabilidad no es nada del otro mundo, pero no tiene ningún problema destacable. Y si bien en su día significó un avance cualitativo en el desarrollo de los videojuegos no se pueden pasar por alto algunos defectos. Quizá el principal es que llegado a un cierto punto de la trama, el juego se va tornandoUn gran y ambicioso videojuego. Con un arte y una narrativa envolventes y complejos. La jugabilidad no es nada del otro mundo, pero no tiene ningún problema destacable. Y si bien en su día significó un avance cualitativo en el desarrollo de los videojuegos no se pueden pasar por alto algunos defectos. Quizá el principal es que llegado a un cierto punto de la trama, el juego se va tornando aburrido y repetitivo. Da la sensación demque se alargó de más. Personajes maniqueos y excesivamente melodramaticos son tambien un defecto que nos muestra todavía una "infancia" en el desarrollo de los videojuegos. Expand
  8. Jun 25, 2017
    So I finally got my hands on Bioshock. I've been tracking this game for years and just recently finished it. Although I never played System Shock, my favourite game is Deus Ex. So now you're going to see, how this game stands up against other fps games. But this time around, we are visiting an underwater city called Rapture.

To start with the story, it is quite deep and it gets better

To start with the story, it is quite deep and it gets better and better towards the end. At the beginning, some things may seem a bit unconnected, but later on, you'll remember the early stories and connect them to people and objects you find then. But it's of course not just the story worth mentioning. It's the combat system that makes this game exciting. Mostly because AI is damn good. Graphics are very good also, Rapture is very detailed and watter here is extremely realistic. But nothing can outperform the sounds of Rapture. There are also a lot of small things that make this game very attractive, like the use of plasmids and tonics which enhance your abilities in combat.

But there are also some problems with the game. You are constantly fighting the same enemies throughout the whole game and that makes Bioshock a bit repetitive. Menus are also not that well designed and you are easily lost trying to find a very important message. Also the game is very psychotic with lots of blood everywhere, but I can not decide for you if that is a bad or a good thing. The game is also too short, when you finally get used and start mastering all the plasmids, tonics and other tools, the game is over.

Don't think now that I was disappointed. Bioshock is a great game overall,maybe a bit repetitive, but a great game. You won't miss anything by getting it, you'll miss a lot by missing it! And that's the whole point. So is a new Deus Ex in the house? No, it's Bioshock!
  9. Jun 4, 2017
    An absolute mind-blowing action game! BioShock has an atmospheric 80's environment that draws you into the lore and story of the game. Filled with twists and turns, amazing sound and music, mind-blowing visuals and game play, and beautifully haunting levels. BioShock is like the Atlas Shrugged of video games, once you've played, you can't stop talking about it. You'll never see the bottomAn absolute mind-blowing action game! BioShock has an atmospheric 80's environment that draws you into the lore and story of the game. Filled with twists and turns, amazing sound and music, mind-blowing visuals and game play, and beautifully haunting levels. BioShock is like the Atlas Shrugged of video games, once you've played, you can't stop talking about it. You'll never see the bottom of the ocean the same way! Expand
  10. May 10, 2017
    This is one of a kind game and its is totally amazing you'll have a magical adventure. The quality on this thing is amazing you get:

-Amazingly beautiful level design. -Great Graphics. -Fantastic animation art. -Cool new type of gameplay. -Cool mechanics to use. -Interesting cool thriller story. -Great atmosphere. This is one of the best games ever made. And if you missed it

-Amazingly beautiful level design.
    -Great Graphics.
    -Fantastic animation art.
    -Cool new type of gameplay.
    -Cool mechanics to use.
    -Interesting cool thriller story.
    -Great atmosphere.

This is one of the best games ever made. And if you missed it then you are not a gamer my son.
  11. May 4, 2017
    For me, this game is the best game of all time. Despite some technical issues, that most of the games that released in 2007 were facing, this is a special experience that reached perfection in almost any aspect. Interesting and unique plot, fantastic environmental story telling, challenging gameplay with plenty choices on combat, crafting and upgrading items and abilities, and amazingFor me, this game is the best game of all time. Despite some technical issues, that most of the games that released in 2007 were facing, this is a special experience that reached perfection in almost any aspect. Interesting and unique plot, fantastic environmental story telling, challenging gameplay with plenty choices on combat, crafting and upgrading items and abilities, and amazing atmosphere and art direction. It has aged well and I recommend this version over the remaster, except if you buy it on the next gen consoles. Expand
  12. Apr 10, 2017
    Bioshock has some of the best narrative and visual storytelling I have ever seen in a video game. It is a journey unlike anything I have played before, and shows that video games can be an art form!
  13. Apr 5, 2017
    Amazing game set in a dystopian underwater city. It's 9 years old by now, but the gameplay still holds up great. Interesting story and lore that drives the game forward. Cool level design with a very haunting atmosphere.
  14. Mar 3, 2017
    A masterpiece of audiovisual narrative, with the unbeatable atmosphere that only the most memorable video game scenarios can manage to achieve, BioShock remains as an enthralling, fun, intense and almost flawless FPS.
  15. Feb 13, 2017
    If you want a game that will both scare you and leave you awake late at night pondering life then this game is for you. Bioshock is a first-person horror and shooter heavily that takes a lot of its ideas from a book by Ayn Rand called Atlas Shrugged. Bioshock is set in a underwater dystopian city called Rapture and yes, you heard me right it’s underwater. And you also get superpowers byIf you want a game that will both scare you and leave you awake late at night pondering life then this game is for you. Bioshock is a first-person horror and shooter heavily that takes a lot of its ideas from a book by Ayn Rand called Atlas Shrugged. Bioshock is set in a underwater dystopian city called Rapture and yes, you heard me right it’s underwater. And you also get superpowers by injecting yourself with juice found from underwater slugs called ADAM. Yeah it gets even crazier from there.

In Bioshock you play as Jack a man who is flying on a plane to Britain to visit some family members when, suddenly the plane crashes. He survives the plane crash and swims through the debris to find a mysterious lighthouse he goes inside and enters this kind of mini submarine and then finds the city of Rapture. But, he quickly finds that Rapture has fallen to ruin and its inhabitants have been deformed into these monsters called splicers who have been morphed by overdosing on ADAM. Jack is guided by a friendly irish man named Atlas because he makes Jack promise to help him find his wife and son.

Bioshock is a game that relies on it’s atmosphere to convey its story. At the beginning of a level you will see a cracked window that is leaking water and is slowly flooding the room and later on in that same level you will be able to overhear a enemy talking about how he was the guy who cracked the window. There is also a great quote later in the game that kinda makes you think about life and who you are. The game’s levels are very well designed too and they are all structured well like this you enter the new location, you meet the villain of said level, you do some things that lead you to a new weapon, then you use that weapon to defeat the bad guy. But there is one major thing wrong with this game. The final level I won’t spoil anything but the ending is extremely sloppy. And the graphics although for the most part might be good but other times it is very bad.

Bioshock is a very creative and for the most part a good game but with a few faults. The story is creative the idea of a underwater city is really cool. The voice acting is also very good and immersive. But the ending is kinda a let down and might leave you wanting more. My final rating for bioshock is a 8/10.

Pros
    Very creative story
    Cool setting
    Good voice acting
    Great level design
    Cons
    Ending is pretty bad
    Graphics are sometimes bad
  16. Jan 27, 2017
    Good game but heavily overrated by the critics. At the start it really blew me away with crisp gameplay and wonderful atmosphere. After 1/3 it becomes too repetitve though with little new things going on. Still good game. Finished it in 14 hours.
  17. Jan 26, 2017
    Truly a masterpiece. Atmospheric is the best word to describe Bioshock. Its graphics are a little better than average although its sound design is on another level. The cackle of a splicer, the groans and stomps of the Big Daddies, the garbled 1950s music, all of it is just so well done and brings the otherwise desolate halls of Rapture to life. The retro-futuristic design of the machinesTruly a masterpiece. Atmospheric is the best word to describe Bioshock. Its graphics are a little better than average although its sound design is on another level. The cackle of a splicer, the groans and stomps of the Big Daddies, the garbled 1950s music, all of it is just so well done and brings the otherwise desolate halls of Rapture to life. The retro-futuristic design of the machines and Art Deco design scheme show how much the developers researched the time period and the style to get everything right. The plot was interesting enough for me and kept me avidly playing until the end although I can see why people thought that it got kinda drab after a certain point. As for the hacking - its isn't required to play the game although learning to master it will make the game noticeably easier (who doesn't want flying machine gun turret drones helping them out?). Overall a game that was way ahead of its time and still continues to be amazing today. Expand
  18. Jan 6, 2017
    Fantastic. Engrossing, unique, and interesting world. Plays wonderfully. It's own artistic style is great. Plot captures you from start to finish. Only gripe is it could have done with a more in depth character development system.
  19. Dec 2, 2016
    Excellent setting, narrative, aesthetic, mood, themes, and tone. Some of those might have been redundant, but this game deserves redundant praise. The combat is good enough to not detract from the game, but isn't too special. Plasmids seem like an interesting concept, but end up playing very similar to each other.
  20. Oct 26, 2016
    One of the best games i have ever played, also my second favourite of all time!

One of the best games i have ever played, also my second favourite of all time!

Damn good first person shooter Horror action, from start to end this game IS going to have you hooked. Forget even some of the most AAA titles that are out, this is the awesomeness, that every gamer should expect from there game. Not only are the visuals insanely good for its days, but the controls are so perfectly suited for the game. My favourite part of the game is fighting the Big Daddy. So action packed, you will get intensely immersed the second you start playing this. You will think that most triple AAA titles out there are boring after you finish this game.

E to the EPIC!
  21. Aug 27, 2016
    BioShock is a first-person shooter video game .
    It has been defined by its developers themselves as " spiritual " sequel .
    the main resources in the game are the Adam , Eve and the money
  22. Jul 25, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock is a singular shooter. At the beginning it looks a little as a horror survival, the dark ambience and the fact that you can store health rations and “eve” syringes. Eve is like mana, that your character spend to use skills similar to magic, but that are in fact genetic improvements. Soon after the beginning you can see why this is a shooter, although an uncommon one.

This game happens in a submerged city that you found seemly by accident after your plane crashes in the middle of the sea. The society in this city is some kind of libertarian utopia that went bad, resulting in its destruction. There we can find many places collapsing to the ocean around, and its inhabitants, the splicers, which are the result of genetic modifications by a substance called ADAM, designed to improve humankind with supernatural powers, but that in the end made its users lose their minds. The splicers are aggressive and attack you on sight.

As you progress, you find the little sisters; little girls with super regenerative powers that you can kill to either get ADAM or take ADAM from their bodies in small quantities letting them alive. Depending of your decision about them the end game changes. These girls suck ADAM from dead bodies with syringes, while being protected by the bid daddies, a big mutant holding mechanical weapons. As you progress through the game, you learn that they both are educated and genetically designed to behave as they do.

You are constantly receiving direction from both a woman that takes care of the girls and thank or reprimand you according to your actions towards them, and a man, which appears to be in distress and wants you to kill the man who idealized this city, Andrew Ryan. As you learn about the city it is very interesting the political views expressed by Ryan, he is some kind of a social Darwinist, which sees the modern government as the means to rob the best from their work to sustain the parasites.

As your approach him is harder and harder to see him as an evil villain, he is more of a idealist. He built this city under the water because he knew the governments from the rest of the world would never let a free society exist like that. The great plot twist you learn is that you are an assassin specially trained to kill Ryan for his ideas, even though his failure already condemned the city. Our character is trained in such a way that is impossible for him to act in any other way, hence Ryan famous phrase “a man chooses, a slave obeys”.

It’s a very interesting game, specially the way the plot develops, murking the validity of our efforts. The only negative point is about the character death in the game. There is no real consequence, we are just spawn back into the fight, this takes away a lot of the challenge the game could pose. In this case they should have had a more traditional approach, with death meaning the necessity to try again since the beginning.
  23. Jul 6, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Everything about BioShock is brilliant. The story, the atmosphere, the gameplay and the writing all shine here. The game was developed by Irrational Games' Ken Levine, who also made the System Shock 2. Mister Levine certainly knows how to make survival horror game in a twisted environment with a silent protagonist. Anyways, the game starts out in a plane with our main character, Jack Ryan. Then the plane crashes and we're thrown into one of the most sadistic and frightening worlds in video game history. And I love it. I feel like the best way to experience BioShock is by knowing next to nothing about it, like I did when I first played it last weekend. The gameplay is stellar, with a mix of standard first-person shooting and strange power ups called 'Plasmids'. They can let you shoot electricity out of your hand, and lift stuff up and throw things at people. Its pretty damn fun. The music is terrifyingly brilliant and gives me chills each time I hear it. It sets the environment incredibly well. The story, while very similar to System Shock 2's is still engaging and has a twist that actually surprised me. The writing is also brilliant and really holds the game up through the dull and mundane moments it has.

One of my few problems with the game is that it's pretty easy. I played the game on normal and only died twice. Another problem I have with the game is that the Big Daddy fights (Big Daddies are robots you have to kill to get to Little Sisters' who give you Adam which you use to get power ups) are too easy and get very boring after a while, particularly if you beat the game in one sitting like I did. Also, some parts of the game did get kind of repetitive as it progressed.

Those are probably my only flaws with the game. It truly is a magnificent experience that I enjoyed immensely. I definitely won't be forgetting about Rapture any time soon.

Those are m
  24. May 31, 2016
    Mi juego preferito de la séptima generación sin duda. Es cierto que mirando ahora la jugabilidad no es lo más puntero del mundo, pero cumple más que bien, pero donde más reside el encanto de este juego es en la historia, y qué historia! La manera en la que te la cuentan y como te das cuenta de todo es brillante, tanto como la ambientación de este juego. Un juego que se debe jugar sí o sí.
  25. Apr 13, 2016
    2014 y es primera vez que lo juego. Un juego de lujo que engancha demasiado:

Pros: - Excelente Historia. -Jugabilidad Increible: Varias armas, varios tipos de munición, los divertidos y geniales plásmidos, los tónicos que te ayudarán a combatir, sobrevivir y piratear mejor. - La música es genial a lo largo del juego, disfrutable. - Personajes bien desarrollados, con carisma y
    2014 y es primera vez que lo juego. Un juego de lujo que engancha demasiado:

Pros:
    - Excelente Historia.
    - La música es genial a lo largo del juego, disfrutable.
    - Personajes bien desarrollados, con carisma y profundos.
    - Dificultad: te hace sentir vulnerable, escasa munición, escaso dinero, enemigos fuertes, Big Daddys muy fuertes, tendrás que ingeniertelas para sobrevivir y salir airoso de las batallas.
    - Muy buenos gráficos, incluso para lo viejo que es, se sienten muy bien aún.

Contras:
    -Solo en mi caso particular, encontré que estiraron mucho la trama para que no acabara tan pronto.

9.5/10
  26. Apr 10, 2016
    One of the best game ever (for me, all Bioshock episodes). Art direction harmony is unbelievable and the feeling of the whole game is awesome. It is a cult game! Is somebody did not play with it, it is a must. All the Bioshock episodes have some unique feeling which games still can compete with now days games!!!
    Thank you for giving us this interactive story!
  27. Mar 21, 2016
    One of the best games, if not THE best game, I've ever played. The atmosphere is great, the plot is great, the gameplay is great, everything about Bioshock is great. Rapture will pull you in with its deep background, and will never leave you, even years after you've beaten the game. Deep story with a lot of philosophy behind it. The disappointing last act is Bioshock's only weakness, andOne of the best games, if not THE best game, I've ever played. The atmosphere is great, the plot is great, the gameplay is great, everything about Bioshock is great. Rapture will pull you in with its deep background, and will never leave you, even years after you've beaten the game. Deep story with a lot of philosophy behind it. The disappointing last act is Bioshock's only weakness, and even so I couldn't recommend a game highly. Play it. Expand
  28. Mar 13, 2016
    Bioshock is one of my all-time favorite games. It's atmosphere is as damp as the city of Rapture itself, and it's literally underwater! It's gameplay is captivating, having you scavenge for supplies and make use of the city's genetic experiments to combat the obstacles around you and use your environment to your advantage. It's world is quite unpleasant, but there's no place I'd rather be, really.
  29. Jan 27, 2016
    Terrific game! I just finished it for the third time, and it's just as relevant several years later. The gameplay is incredibly balanced and the environment is very spooky.
  30. Jan 22, 2016
    Where to start with Bioshock. The beautiful world of Rapture as you descend into it, only to discover what really lies in it about 5 minutes later, the creative plasmids, difficult enemy AI, hearing splicers screaming from several rooms away, accidentally activating an El Ammo Bandito and becoming terrified all the splicers will run after you, accidentally walking into the path of aWhere to start with Bioshock. The beautiful world of Rapture as you descend into it, only to discover what really lies in it about 5 minutes later, the creative plasmids, difficult enemy AI, hearing splicers screaming from several rooms away, accidentally activating an El Ammo Bandito and becoming terrified all the splicers will run after you, accidentally walking into the path of a machine gun turret. Overall Bioshock is one of e most unique fps games I've ever played and I highly recommend it. Expand

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.